6.9

1. Nov 7, 2012
    With 343 Industries taking over for the Halo Series after Bungie's depart, I had my doubts that the next Halo game would not be as good, especially how 343 had barely worked on any game and slowly began to emerge as a company. They proved me wrong. Halo 4 has the best graphics for videogames I've ever seen so far, the multiplayer is so much updated and improved, the storyline for Halo 4 is intense and competing, making me anticipate more and more on what will happen next. Spartan Ops while not the best substitute for Firefight is a great gamemode to play with friends. Overall, Halo 4 has stunned me with it's amazing graphics, great storyline, improved multiplayer, and somewhat Spartan Ops. Congrats 343 Industries, and good luck with the rest of the new Halo trilogy. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Halo 4 represents a bold step forward for the franchise that feels both fresh and familiar. Boasting Halo's trademark multiplayer, a gripping campaign, an experimental co-op mode and the usual gubbins, Halo 4 like all the other Halos that have come and gone, represents incredible value for money.
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So how did 343i do with Bungie's baby? Here are my thoughts... GENERAL GAMEPLAY: - The core gameplay (95% of the game) is the Halo you know and love. - There is a cool "getaway" sequence similar to the end of Halo:CE and Halo 3, but in a Ghost. - There are a few quicktime sequences that are rather underwhelming. They should have either been more polished (and fun) or turned into cutscenes.
    - The flying sequences are a major letdown (more below). ENEMIES: - Grunts and Jackals remain unchanged. - Elites don't seem as tough as Reach, but they're basically the same. - Hunters seem the same, but there are very few of them. I complained about this in Reach, and it hasn't improved in Halo 4. - Sadly, there are no Brutes, Drones, or Skirmishers. Also no Flood, but I'm actually okay with that.
    - The new enemies (Prometheans) are fun to fight and offer some nice, new variety.
    - No Scarabs or boss battles.... boo. WEAPONS: - There are a LOT of guns. Most of the old classics are back, along with some great additions. - No dual-wielding, but most of those guns have been replaced, so you don't really miss it. - Grenades feel a bit underpowered, but not to the point of being useless. ARMOR ABILITIES: - Good mix of old and new. The much-hated Armor Lock is, of course, gone. - Running is no longer an Armor Ability and is always available, which makes sense. VEHICLES: - The Ghost, Warthog, and Scorpion all feel familiar and control smoothly. - The Banshee doesn't feel as polished as previous games, but it's passable. - MAJOR LETDOWN #1: You finally get to fly the Pelican, and she feels great, for all of 2 minutes. It goes: fly straight towards marker, take out Phantoms with extreme ease, enter building, repeat. 343i made flying the Pelican about as fun as my morning commute to work. Lamest flying sequence in a Halo game until... - MAJOR LETDOWN #2: Remember the mission in Reach that put you in a dogfight in space? Imagine the polar opposite of how awesome that was, and you have the Broadsword sequence in the final mission. The first part of this mess is basically an obstacle course where you die repeatedly until you figure it out and get the timing right. The second part involves flying around in a circle and shooting at stationary markers that you can't tell if you're doing any damage to. Eventually you figure out which angle to hit them from and this miserable sequence ends. This is officially my least favorite thing ever put in a Halo game. - The Mantis is a cool addition. The animation makes it seem rickety, but it ends up being pretty powerful. I knew they'd put a mech in Halo sooner or later... - No Falcon or Hornet... boo. VISUALS: - Amazing. This is the best Halo has ever looked. - MINOR GRIPE: The HUD is a bit difficult to read. It's a very light shade of blue, and can clash against some of the bright glowing environments (which there are a lot of). AUDIO
    - The music is very good, but doesn't surpass the classic O'Donnell score. It excels during the dark, emotional moments, but lacks the grand-sounding pieces that made for "big moments" in the original trilogy. - The sound effects are terrific. Guns sound amazing (even the Beam Rifle finally!). - The voice-acting is top-notch. STORY:
    - It goes in a new, interesting direction. - Dialogue is great. However, there are a few scenes between the Chief and Cortana that do feel a bit... uncomfortable. - I liked the ending, but it didn't really feel like the beginning of a new trilogy... CONCLUSION: Overall, Halo 4 is a great shooter. I liked it, but I'm not sure I loved it. It gets almost all of the big things right. The core gameplay is solid. Visuals, audio, and story are all top-notch. But the little things are what keep Halo 4 from perfection. Some suggestions for improvement next time: 1. The HUD should be crisp and easy to read. 2. Quicktime sequences should be polished, changed into cutscenes, or removed entirely. 3. Give me bigger stuff to kill. More Hunters, and maybe a Scarab or something similar. A boss battle or two wouldn't hurt. Also consider bringing back older enemy classes. 4. Bring back the Pelican, but give me a full-fledged mission! 5. If you're going to put me in space, give me a dogfight and leave out the obstacle courses.
  4. Nov 12, 2012
    Let me just say this up front, Halo 4 is not a perfect 10 but neither is it a bad game either. While the game does have some flaws (AI noticeably dumber, new weapons are pretty meh, doesn't do anything really new) it still hits all the notes you would expect from a Halo game and it does them competently. The visuals are absolutely amazing especially on an aging console, and while not as iconic or bombastic as something from Marty O'Donnell the new music here fits well and doesn't distract from the action. Four player co-op for the campaign and new Spartan Ops episodes are still a blast, and getting a party together for some MP action is great way to spend an evening.

It doesn't do anything to break the mold or take any chances, but there is something to be said for not fixing what isn't broken either. Halo 4 isn't going to change your mind if you weren't a fan already. But for fans or those on the fence then I would certainly recommend at least giving a try. For a new studio trying to fill some pretty big shoes 343 certainly could have done a whole lot worse :3
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a sad, sorry sequel to a good series. From start to finish, the game underperforms dramatically; the level design is insipid and repetitive, the enemy design ridiculous, the gamefeel vague or even absent. Major plot points and characters pass by without comment from the Chief or Cortana, critical events go unnoticed, there is no air of mystery or wonder. Halo has always been about being pitted against incredible odds in a high-stakes gamble for the fate of the galaxy; this time it feels like a hissy fight between Cortana and a monkey in a ball.

Overall, the game is forgettable and bland, lacking any flair or polish. I regret paying $60 for this game; hell, I'd regret paying $30.
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    I've only gotten about 4 and a half hours of gameplay under my belt in the single player campaign of Halo 4 but I've come away with several early - and mostly negative - impressions. Remember these are just impressions and NOT designed to be a full review which means my score may change at a later date. Also, this will be long and Metacritic's lack of carriage returns may make it difficult to read - as usual, I will delineate paragraphs with several pipe characters. |||| First, it's clear Halo 4 uses a modified version of Unreal Engine 3. This doesn't come as a surprise to me as I seem to recall that the engine, itself, was one of the few things Bungie got to keep when they broke off from Microsoft. However, typical Unreal Engine issues like texture pop in and terrible in game text overlays are prevalent throughout the game, often to the detriment of gameplay. |||| Graphically, the game looks nice except for the fact they went crazy with lens flares and bloom effects. I read one user review who made a similar complaint by stating that "if you try to scope in to snipe, your eyeballs will get burned out of your sockets". It may sound like an exaggeration but it is not. The game is heavy on in your face lighting effects which often blind you even when brightness is turned down to its lowest setting in the game options. The best way I can describe it is the same kind of effect you get if you're facing east as the sun comes up over the horizon or if you're driving east into the early morning sun. The glare blinds and washes everything out. |||| The music is decent but it lacks the punch and significance of the scores of the previous Halo titles. A lot of that is because the composer replaced orchestral arrangements with electronic ones. It's a better score than most games but it just doesn't live up to the quality we became accustomed to by the former musical masters of Halo, Marty O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori. Sound effects are disappointing overall. Guns, especially the human/UNSC ones, sound like toys rather than weapons and vehicles sound "off", for lack of a better way to describe them. |||| Speaking of weapons and vehicles, what a disappointment! The Forerunner weapons absolutely suck when you use them but they can two shot you when the enemy AI uses them. This is undoubtedly a byproduct of playing on Legendary difficulty, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that I feel as though I'd be more effective throwing stones than using a boltshot pistol or the lightrifle. Human weapons are vastly underpowered (except the Battle Rifle, which you don't find often) while Covenant weapons are quite powerful (remember, this is regarding campaign, not multiplayer). The Covenant Carbine, which has always been a single shot assault rifle (think of the M1 Garand), can double as a sniper rifle in this iteration of the game. Vehicles, by contrast, handle much differently than in past titles. The Covenant's Banshee and Ghost feel slow and sluggish while the UNSC's Warthog is quick to lose control and go flipping down the path. |||| I haven't really messed with multiplayer much but, so far, it looks like they've tried cloning Call of Duty's "loadout" style with Halo's sci-fi trappings. This doesn't surprise me too much as we started to see this with Halo: Reach while it was still under Bungie's leadership but multiplayer now feels like 343 simply cloned Modern Warfare and called it a day. Even Spartan Ops is basically just a copy of Call of Duty's Spec Ops mode. |||| As a self-confessed Halo fanboy (it's one of the few franchises that I have every single title for), I'm growing increasingly disappointed with Halo 4 as I play it. 343 Industries didn't take any real risks with the franchise nor did they attempt to make it their own. They merely copied elements of what made Halo popular, copied other popular shooter elements for multiplayer, then covered the game in high gloss. |||| Hopefully it gets better. Hopefully I won't run into more quick time events (which have no place in this franchise). At this point, hope is all I have. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    This is the best game I've ever played on the XBox 360. It has an incredible story that all Halo veterans should experience from start to finish. It's dark, emotional, and beautiful. A true masterpiece in gaming. On top of this, Halo 4 is as complete a package as you can buy. Whether you are fighting through the forerunner planet in the campaign, working with friends through the co-op missions in Spartan Ops, or proving your worth in War Games (the halo Multiplayer suite), there is always something for you to do. Not to mention this easily has some of the best visuals I've seen on a console game. From incredible lighting to a completely re-vamped sound design, this game doesn't know the word "ugly". Go buy this game. If you don't have an Xbox, save up, and then buy it and this game. Now! That's an order soldier! Expand
  8. Nov 27, 2012
    OK, to be honest I've never been a Halo fan. These titles are the most generic FPS you can play. However, for the MP value alone, they are worth it. Like COD, you can ALWAYS find a good MP scene online. You will ALWAYS find an arsenal of weapons and maps that will keep you addicted to your online gaming fix like nothing else. Outstanding online gameplay.
  9. Dec 11, 2012
    I hate halo! but this one is a lot of fun for online play. I normally can't stand generic FPS shooters but let's be honest: where are you going to find the best online play? Halo pretty much...
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    Overall, I really enjoyed Halo 4. While I did not enjoy as much as Halo 3 it was still a great game. It had its problems but it was a lot of fun. The single player was finally good. The multiplayer was fun and Spartan Ops adds legs to the game. While there are things I would have liked the game there is a lot of good stuff in here. Halo 4 is the best Halo since Halo 3 and hopefully 343 can keep it up with Halo 5 & 6. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    I'd give the game a 9.5 The gameplay is a proper evolution of Halo gameplay while keeping the core features that make the game definitely feel like Halo, just refined and improved. Compared to most other FPS single player campaigns, Halo 4s is very good. The story is just ok, but I had more fun in SP than most games all gen due entirely to Halo unique gameplay and enemy AI. To add some much neede depth to the SP story it's best to watch all the PR and spends a day reading the HaloWiki. The improved graphics (which are excellent for old consoles) come at a minor cost to environment size and perhaps a tiny hit to AI. The MP is a series best for me....so far. I've had the game since launch and seem to have spent 75% on my MP time on one map, due to the voting system and the map options the game offers. There is a problem with matches and stats not being added to your record which is VERY frustrating. I enjoy spartan-ops more than the firefight and the story element adds to the enjoyment despite being fairly shallow but something is better than nothing. Also, the lack of matchmaking for old spartan ops episodes is a major let down. Overall, the game offers so many hours of fun and interesting game types that it deserves to be among the best games in the gen. 343 actually surpasses Bungie in many ways, and only falters occasionally. 343 has proven to me that they are among the top devs, Halo 4 do a lot and does the majority of it very very well. Expand
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    Play the game, figure it out.
    This game is worth all the pennies that make up the $60 price tag.
    Polished as hell. Very fluid controls. I'm saying this all about the game when I normally don't like the Halo series much at all since the first one.
    I bought this game because my friend was getting it as well, and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it was nothing like Halo Reach
    and is great! Expand
  13. Nov 6, 2012
    Pretty disappointed really. Was really hoping this would be a return to form after hating Reach and ODST so much. If you liked the others, chances are you will like this, if you didn't, this won't do anything for you.
    The gameplay has not changed one bit. Same familiar looking corridors, same vehicle sections.
    Yeah it looks and sounds great, but it is so frigging dull. MP is fine,
    nothing special. Like I said, if you liked it before, you will now. Expand
  14. Jan 17, 2013
    The Master Chef returns with all new recipes and cooking supplies. I had an okay time with this game. The story was easily the worst part (but that's nothing new for Halo), but it looked great and played perfectly. The Multiplayer is very good as well, not much more to say about that. It's good. The score was a bit of a letdown and you can definitely tell this was not made by Bungie. It's lacking a certain Halo feel, which it makes up for in all new sounds for the guns (all sorts of pew-pews in this game, all sorts). Nothing revolutionary and will be quickly forgotten once Halo 5 comes out, but it's still fun. Expand
  15. Nov 9, 2012
    To be honest, I went into this game with a very skeptical mindset. Since 343 had also made Halo Wars, i thought it would have this problem, and this problem and this problem. To my amazement, however, it didn't. At all. The game is balanced, graphically superior to almost anything, definitely to anything on the Xbox. The dialogue can get a bit on the B-Grade side, but other than that there's not much to complain about. The multiplayer is fast, but not too fast, the weapon system is different, but not overpowered. Its not perfect however. While it is hard to pinpoint these problems, they are noticeable when playing. So if you enjoy Halo, and halo, this is your game. If not, then not. 81%. (P.S. Why does everyone use the battle rifles? They aren't that good o.O) Expand
  16. Dec 4, 2012
    It's a great game but nothing like the previous excluding Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. the graphics kill in this game. It's go **** beautiful to look at. I really like this game and want to love it but there's not the same feeling as with the other 4
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 presents the most polished and engaging Halo to date. 343 took Halo's core and added vulnerability. Master Chief has never been so humanized, and it makes for fantastic cut scenes. Not only is the story the best of the series, but the boring Covenant aren't the main enemy anymore. The new Promethean Knight is every bit as vicious as the Elite, but varies in its combat methods. Many times I was surprised by how I was wailed on by these very formidable opponents. I can go on and on about how great this game is. But to sum it all up, I've been playing Halo since the beginning. Every game has been fun and worthwhile, but none of the games invoked the emotion and investment Halo 4 has out of me. Add a splendidly varied campaign in terms of encounters and vehicle play to the mix, more than even Reach. I loved the story, and it's only getting better with the promised 5th & 6th games. Composer Neil Davidge also brought the score of Halo to a new high. The sounds and music of Halo 4 are phenomenal. Best game of the series. 343 have set their own bar, and to surpass it would be to make perhaps the greatest game ever. Expand
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    Halo 4 sits somewhere between Halo 3 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. While Halo 4 is clearly a good game, it is not great game. Despite the flourish of new graphics, the series has lost some of its trademark character. The new enemies, the Promotheans, are mute tanks that flitter, scurry, and teleport. They do not, however, flank, retreat, or do anything memorable. The Promothean weapons are even more boring: every Promothean weapon is a futuristic looking version of one of today's weapons. The only new kind of weapons are a rail gun and a sticky detonator, and each shows up sparingly in the campaign. A prime opportunity to add some interesting new ideas to Halo has been squandered. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In terms of progressing the series, I found it odd that "Halo 4" explicitly tells players to scavenge weapons from fallen combatants. In later levels, when combatants are many and dropped weapons are few, the game compensates by giving you crate upon crate of grenades and weapons. Placing the strategic choice of weapons in the hands of the player is a staple of Halo games, but those choices are meaningless if the game gives players an inexhaustible armory of the same kinds of weapons. At least 343 returned the health system pioneered in Halo 2. After your shields fall, you can take a few hits while you duck for cover. This system works and keeps the flow of the game moving. Halo 4 has a constant momentum to the point of providing dialogue and backstory through driving sequences rather than non-playable cut scenes. 343 did not entirely understand Bungie's snippets of fun mojo, and Halo's musical staple, the dun-dun-dun-dun guitar riff, was completely absent. In fact, pulse pounding music of any kind was absent, giving a sense of emptiness to many of the early levels. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The game also abuses the mechanic of go to several places on the same level and press several buttons. I prefer the old challenges of figuring out how to fit a Warthog into a doorway. Nevertheless, Halo 4 provides several opportunities to run, drive, or fly past past enemies to the next check point.
    The story of Halo 4 is quite epic. As Master Chief, you relentlessly fight against the Covenant, the Prometheans, your human ally's incompetence, and the story driven failure of your A.I. pal Cortana. When mission failure is required, and it is required quite a bit in this story, the failure is never that of the player. We are never burdened with the awful cutscene of the player character cluelessly and impotently watching the action unfold and not participating. Master Chief is as competent as ever. By the way, the graphics in Halo 4 are the best ever on the Xbox 350 and the cutscenes are photorealistic. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Multiplayer on Halo 4 has been a mixed bag. 343 failed to provide popular game types and decent maps at launch, and exacerbated their launch failures with a lack of support for a good three to four months. In late March of 2013, 343 finally started fixing the multi-player experience, but the popularity of Halo has suffered. One of the positive changes 343 has made is leveraging the players' ability to make their own maps and adding the best of the communiy's maps to the on-line playlists. Few games provide map making tools and this is a stand-out feature for Halo 4 on the Xbox.
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    Best Single Player and Multilayer Experience ever. This game deserves Game Of The Year by every means. Great Graphics, Physics, Engine, Controls and Sound. Really engaging story and the Cenamatics are so close to the real game play. I was blown away. Give this game a try before judging. Much better than Halo 3.
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    If you play Halo for multiplayer I can't see this game sticking around for long. Something is just missing. I feel the level design of the maps left a lot to be desired. The visuals look really nice.
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    doesn't matter what we say on here, they sold millions and made millions, they could give a **** less if they create **** games, as long as they make money. The Xbox 360 is extremely under powered, and has been showing its age for a very long time now. The art in this game was the only reason it looked good, otherwise the low res textures, jagged lines, and horrible fade distance just destroyed the graphics on this game. If you like games for combat and no other reason then this game will be perfect for you. If you like depth to the gameplay, and a story that is not serialized, and actually makes sense then this game will be VERY boring. And thats what this game is. Despite the things that it does well with the combat, sound effects, and art, the game in the end lacks an interesting story that makes sense, and has very shallow gameplay. Plus the main story is extremely short. This game can be beaten in a day. Why do they keep making this crap? And now that it has become serialized, its just going to get worse and worse. Expand
  22. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was pure gold until the end. The graphics, gameplay, sound, pacing, all fantastic. But then the plot got weirder and weirder. It didn't really pass the logic test. Chief not firing the missile into the ship made no sense. Why drive it in? Having to play all all CoD: Modern Warfare style where you have limited crawl controls and have to click one button that you've never had to click before to plant a grenade on the Didact felt cheesey. Cortana magically saving Chief from a NUDET...come on. The gamma rays would be out in microseconds, and how does she magically make a hardlight shield anyways? Reminds me way too much of Mass Effect 3's space magic that we rebelled against and got DLC for. Unlike ME3 though which was the last of the series, I have hope that 343 will explain this stuff and not leave us hanging which is why I still give this a 90%. Expand
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    tldr: single player good. Multiplayer bad. I really wanted to like this game, I love the story but the multiplayer is awful. The spartan ops an extenuation that lets your spartan be a part of the greater Halo story is great! However, the true multiplayer or pvp is just awful. The maps are too small and are horribly unbalanced. Bungie did a much better job with multiplayer, whereas 343 did better with the overall story. Expand
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    Same old Halo. Just a teaser for Halo 5 on Xbox720.
    PROS:
    -It´s an OK Halo.
    CONS:
    -You have to read the (great) Halo books (kilo-five and forerunner trilogies) to grasp the plot of this game.
    -Multiplayer has been "CODified".
  25. Nov 6, 2012
    343 has my complete faith and loyalty. Halo 4 starts a whole new trilogy with a bang! The campaign answers alot of long standing questions and does an excellent job of creating new ones! The entire game from the menu's to the actual in game-play is as smooth as butter and the visuals are absolutely stunning!! I fear the ONLY reason anyone would post negative review on this game is because they are bored with the Halo Universe and are looking for something new. 343 did exactly what they set out to do, build on the story and bring more depth to the universe we all know and love. All in all if you were looking for a "Revolutionary In Your Face Game Changer" you will be disappointed because 343 stays tried and true to the story of Master Chief, taking excellent care of the world all true Halo fans have grown to love. Expand
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    Pros: Amazing Graphics Cons: Boring gameplay, Ridiculous Story The original Halo series was enjoyable to play. This feels like a chore. It is a beautiful to look at chore, but nonetheless, a chore. No joy in any aspect of it. The story feels as if it is weighed down by its own predetermined need to be easily accessible. I really can't believe the positive reviews on this?
  27. Nov 22, 2012
    This game is over hyped in my honest opinion. Not that its a bad game, its a solid shooter polished to a high sheen over numerous iterations since the original Halo: Combat Evolved. The problem for me is that it doesn't do anything new, fresh or innovative. Even the levels feel like they have been stripped directly from previous Halo games. Really, its just the same old Halo FPS many of us used to love, but are perhaps a bit jaded on and tired of now. The story doesn't do anything to reinvigorate the universe either. IMO some mysteries like the "who are the Forerunner?" should never have been answered. Pulling back the curtain reveals how poor the writers really are at science fiction. It really is an unnecessary addition to the universe and has thoroughly put me off the Halo universe for a lifetime. I'm not even interested in seeing a Halo movie after playing poor man Star Wars wannabe.... The levels and missions are some of the most linear and narrow of the entire Halo series, even worse than some of the horrendous railway tracks of Halo 2. There is only one level that stood out as expansive, choice driven mission, but after replaying it a second time that is actually a clever illusion and in fact you are kept on the critical path just as strictly as the first level. Add to that the inability to play the coop mode 'Spartan Ops' offline without a gold membership and the fact they only made the single player, secret terminal videos accessible via Halo Waypoint (which also requires a paid for membership - fu M$!) and unless your a Halo multiplayer PvP junky, then there isn't much to enjoy here. Expand
  28. May 27, 2013
    I was fully satisfied when I finally played this Game. I'm not gonna lie, I was completely 'Halo-ed' out after Halo 3 and Reach and I was just losing interest in Halo, with plans to get a PS4!

Halo 4 is the game that not only regained my faith in the series, but also made choose to buy an XBOX One instead of a PS4. That's an accomplishment that 343 Industries should pat themselves on
    the back for. Looking forward to Halo 5! Expand
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    I never thought I'd review this game here. But man I am so angry with it... I had to.

Is it a bad game in general? Not exactly. But what makes me angry about this game is the fact that they implemented so many things from Call of Duty. It's unreal. Instant respawn times, the COD kill cam, everyone has sprint (makes the game seriously fast along with the respawn time), ordinance drops
    (like the care package from COD, in Infinity Slayer), the scoring system and even perks! It's crazy. They did absolutely nothing innovative, and rather added features from a successful game just because they were scared that COD would be at the top on xbox live over Halo. What made Halo was that it was different from Call of Duty. It was balanced and it was competitive. Now it is not balanced. You will have to play a bit before you get all your loadouts stacked. The loadouts include your weapon setup, amor abilities and perks (tactical packages and support upgrades). I was talking about multiplayer of course. I haven't finished the single player, but from what I heard it is only a few hours. I can see that, because the missions I had to do were short. But why in the world could it be that short? It's been years since a Master Chief campaign, and they give you something that isn't lasting? This is the Master Chief! He is the face of the Xbox. There is absolutely no reason for it to be short.

The only positives are the sound and the artistic design. Coming from someone who studied sound design, the sound is really amazing (excluding music, it's nothing spectacular compared to the Halos of the past). Just fantastic. Also the artistic design is beautiful. There's great scenery and there are some pretty gorgeous cinematics.

Other than that, I am extremely disappointed. 343 Industries says they didn't copy Call of Duty. They absolutely did. I would think Bungie would be pretty sad at the outcome of this game. Their whole objective was to not copy things like Call of Duty. They were innovators, not copiers. I am going to give this a 0. I am not a professional reviewer and the scores shouldn't mean much to anyone anyways. But that's honestly how I felt with the game. I'm getting rid of it.
  30. Feb 3, 2013
    Doggy-chew for the fanboys. Don't expect any originality or new content for that matter here. Don't believe me? Look at the 10's. Save your money and go buy a quality FPS, like Half Life. Anything beat this turd of a game, really.
  31. Apr 26, 2013
    I have never really felt the love for Halo that has been going around since its inception on the original Xbox. Yes it was modern but it never really gripped me. The Halo games of Bungie never really seem to have much of a plot of me and it bored me going from point A on a map, into a building to point B and then going back to point A again. It seemed lazy level design.
    Halo 4 however
    seems to be a big step forward. 343 have made a few changes and brought in some decent new weapons and enemies and it did grip me more than other games. Gone has the annoying drop out of scope when you are shot and SOME of the jumps to checkpoints when a team mate passes into a new area. There is also very little back tracking in the main campaign.
    The story of the game is still very similar and doesn't really go anywhere for me but its not completely missing like it was in Halo 3 ODST. I still think that Halo need to remove the respawn trick on COOP when you can have one person hang back and if the other dies they respawn next to their fellow. Mean that some of the difficulty is sapped from the game.
    I am not much of an Online Multiplayer so I cannot give much of a review of this area but the little I did play was enjoyable enough. I think there are modes for all different abilities and the learning curve is not completely stupid like i found in the COD games.
    Its worth a purchase in my opinion.
  32. Nov 6, 2012
    I as someone who has played Halo since it's historic launch on the original Xbox, and who has anticipated it since it was coming to Mac, I may seem too biased to write an objective review for the game. Giving a Halo 4 a 10/10 would be a no-brainer for a lifetime fanboy, right? Well, that's not the case with me. Like many former Halo fans, I started losing interest in the series when ODST was released, and after Reach pretty much gave up on it. I moved on to CoD, and recently, to Battlefield for my competitive online FPS hunger pains. When Halo 4 details started showing up, it looked very samey to me, and I was far from excited.

Then E3 gameplay demo was released after I learned that many people working at 343 were the same who worked on the incredible Metroid Prime series. The new weapons and enemies looked cool, and the story seemed familiar but unique enough to work. Then I watched the Forward Unto Dawn series. Sure, it was cheesy at times with semi-decent acting at best, but damn it was cool. Last night, I found myself, a 28-year old married guy who hasn't played Halo in years, standing outside of a damn gamestop with a bunch of teens waiting for Halo 4.

I played last night until 5am with no regrets having to work in the morning. This game absolutely shatters any expectations I had, and has rekindled my love for Halo. The campaign has so far kept me on my toes almost the entire way through, and the enhanced enemies and AI is often jaw-dropping. Speaking of jaw-dropping, I have no idea how 343 made Halo 4 look this damn good on a current-gen console. Is that FXAA I see? WTF?! Pairing with the amazing visuals is the absolutely visceral sound design. The guns are so incredibly satisfying to shoot and behold, probably more so than any other FPS game I've ever played.

All of these great sounds and weapons spill over into an incredibly robust multiplayer experience that comes along with everything you loved about earlier Halos and a lot less of what you hated. I personally was disappointed to see absolutely every customizable aspect of the game locked as I started playing, but the game very quickly throws the basic options at you so you're not waiting too long for the simple stuff. After just a few games I hit level 8 and had access to more than one load out, plenty of armor abilities and better armor customizations.

It really blows my mind that 343 hit the nail so hard on the head with Halo 4, as I was going in completely planning to be disappointed. It's a shame so many haters have come to metacritic to force the user score down low, because that's not an accurate representation of this game's quality. If you are like me, and are someone who loves remembering the Halo glory days, but lives with regret that they are no longer here, go pick yourself up a copy of Halo 4. The glory days are back.
  33. Nov 12, 2012
    Fantastic, absolutly fantastic. A little short or the campaign side but it ozzes so much replayility it makes up for it. The worse part of this game is that it makes the wait for Halo 5 that much harder.
  34. Feb 22, 2013
    Copy/Paste to all Halo reviews after all these years: I didn't have a 360 for a few years (played 3 and ODST). In the meantime I played all sorts of fps- COD, BF, Killzone (which is awesome), Resistance, and every single other one. And coming back to Halo when I rebought a 360 was like the greatest homecoming ever. Unlike those other games, every Halo battle is like a chess match waiting to happen. And once you truly know every enemy and every weapon, you fall into a sweet spot of gaming that is possibly the best of all action games ever made. It's just the best. Great now I have to copy and paste this 4 more times. Expand
  35. Dec 14, 2012
    First let me get this out of the way. I don't hate Halo, I gave Halo 3 a 9 and Halo Reach an 8. The problem with this game was that it was very clearly rushed to meet BLOPS for release. The reason I say this is because it not only rips off ideas from COD and implements them poorly (Not always, mainly multiplayer) but that there are many positive aspects from the old Halo games that don't appear in Halo 4. That said, the campaign was terrific. We had a much more personal adventure with Chief this time around, and to see his friendship and desperation to save Cortana as she devolves into rampancy is heartwarming. This works even better because you are constantly reminded of Cortana's rampancy throughout the narrative. Every few minutes her voice will change a little, she will have an angry outburst or blue lights will flicker around the edge of your visor. You really do want to help Cortana in ths campaign. Unfortunately, there are a couple of plotholes that bothered me, but it was never really an issue. The music was also outstanding and it has really become a trademark of the series at this point. Grass grows, the sun shines and Halo has fantastic music. The problems start with Multiplayer and Spartan Ops, which are really not as polished as they could've been. Multplayer has some balance issues. Melee doesn't work properly, DMR sniping and Ordenance (Although Ordenance does have some upsides) dis-courages map movement, and while most of the maps are good or even great maps, there are almost none at all for each game mode. In fact, the amount of maps available is tiny for each gamemode. The boltshot is OP, everyone already knows why, it is a sidearm shotgun. DMR's are still as OP as always, and there is almost no reason to use anything else as a primary weapon. As for the new Mantis it's... well... Just kinda annoying rather than an actual threat. I feel that Halo has lost some of its competitiveness while regainiing some of it at the same time (Reach did hit competitive gamers a lot harder), especially considering a skill system no longer exists but power weapons now hae to be earned rather than just. Yes you can go onto waypoint to findout, but going onto waypoint after almost every match is annoying as hell, and you're skill having no effect on your rank makes it irrelevant. As for joining mid-game, yay! But why didn't you improve it so we wouldn't enter games that are almost done? Lazy work just ripping out a feature of one game and shoehorning it in another 343. The progress system kinda sucks really. The biggest issue is it feels like a GRIND. Grinding for armour unlocks, for f***ing emblems and poses is beyond stupid. At least in Reach I generally could buy what I wanted and it didn't feel like a grind until General and onward. As for forge mode, I'm sad to say it has been butchered, and is one of the main reasons why I think this game was rushed. There are few options when compared to the last forge mode, and there is no forge world. WHY? I had no idea they could mess it up this badly. It's quite sad really. Finally there is Spartan Ops. It's... fun, but rehashing maps and just saying "Defend this, attack this"... I'd expect more for the removal of firefight, and the lack of story is disappointing considering they seem to want to do one, but never really do anything with the characters or setting. They do a bit, and they are doing more wuth each new episod they release, which is good. Overall, this game had (And still has) a ton of potential, but only really delivered in the campaign and on the Spartan OPs, which is a real shame. Expand
  36. Apr 4, 2014
    343 Industries has done a fantastic job with this latest chapter in the series. This is my favorite video game series, and it is the series that got me into video gaming, so hearing that a new developer would be replacing Bungie worried me. Thankfully 343 made a game that is just as good as the majority of the Bungie made Halo games.

The campaign manages to feel familiar and fresh all
    that the same time thanks to the way is holds onto the classic Halo gameplay while simultaneously adding it's own unique features. With new weapons to experiment with and new enemies to fight, there's always something exciting around the next corner. To make things better it is all backed up by some of the best looking graphics to ever grace the 360. The only complaint I have with the campaign is in regards to the story. Just like in Halo 3 the story dives off into the most confusing and under-explained sci-fi mumbo jumbo out there. That being said the campaign does manage to have some emotionality thanks to the complex look at the relationship between Cortana and Master Chief. So while the story does disappoint, the gameplay succeeds here making one awesome campaign.

As far as the multiplayer goes I find it to be the most fun in the series yet. Everything is excellently balanced, the new features are excellent, the game modes are fantastic, and the maps are incredibly well done. The maps are only made better and more diverse thanks to the returning Forge mode. Honestly I am loving the multiplayer more than ever. It's tighter and it no longer feels like you are burning through a huge amount of ammo just to drop a foe. I think this is the best multiplayer the series has seen and it will keep you busy for countless hours. I really can't find a flaw with it.

As far as cooperative gameplay goes the series Firefight mode has been replaced with the new "Spartan Ops" mode. This mode is a noticeable improvement of what the series has previously offered in terms of cooperative gameplay and is an absolute blast to play with friends or even by yourself. However this mode does come with one pretty big flaw: there's no way to play this mode offline either cooperatively or solo. This actually prevented me from being able to play it locally in couch co-op form and is a pretty big oversight on 343's part. That being said it's not a deal breaker and doesn't ruin the fun that can be had with this mode. It's just a disappointing non-inclusion, especially when you remember that Bungie's Firefight mode allowed for offline play.

Overall this is a fantastic game and in a lot of ways one of the best games in the series. With a fantastic campaign, the series best multiplayer, and countless hours worth of content this is one of the best FPS games on the market and one of the best games on the 360. Halo fans no longer need to worry about whether or not 343 can handle the series, because they have proved they can even if they did include some minor flaws. I give it a score of 9.9/10-Near-Perfect.
  37. Jun 24, 2014
    I've only recently become a fan of the Halo franchise (thanks to Red vs Blue), mostly due to the fact that I'm not a big fan of FPS games in general for one reason: I do not enjoy online multiplayer. Co-op is better than competitive, but I still dislike it. One of the major reasons I played WoW for a few years was because I knew people I could play with personally, and I could solo the game front to back if they weren't around. The loss of Firefight-mode with nothing to replace it that I'm willing to play and don't have to pay more money for is a fatal one, and turns a game that would otherwise be something I'd keep for a long time into one I'll be trading in. Sure, the graphics are nicer, the story is great and it was a total blast to play, I just can't really play it more, as much as I'd like to. I'm just an old fart that likes to play alone, and you just can't do that with this game without playing the campaign over and over. Expand
  38. Nov 19, 2012
    Halo 4 is the best Halo game in the whole entire series,I
    I wasn't completely sure how 343 studios would make this game,and I must admit I had my doubts.but after finally breaking down and going out to buy the limited edition halo 4 console,I must say it was worth ever penny.Halo 4 is a ground breaking marvel in the fps genre.and 343 studios did an amazing job with halo 4.the graphics are
    some of the best yet on the xbox 360 (I wasn't sure if I was seeing animated charecters or live real people on cutscenes)everything was sooo realistic and even the sound track and gun fire explosions sound FANTASTIC.343 in my opinion beat Bungie's halo hands down.great job 343 I won't doubt you again in the halo franchise.TAKE THAT CALL OF DUTY, YOU'VE BEEN SERVED. Expand
  39. Nov 12, 2012
    This game is not bad at all. No it does not revolutionize gaming but for a 60 dollar price point you will not be disappointed. Graphics are one of the best on this aging console and the music and sound is spectacular. The campaign is a bit on the short side but the multiplater really shines and you will be playing it for hours on end especially if you have a good group of friends to play with.
  40. Jan 5, 2013
    343 has done a fine job with this title,adding a great deal of polish,but little more.It's still just Halo.Nothing more,nothing less.At least it's not a yearly title yet.
  41. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 343 Industries taking over the Halo scenario, and you get this brilliance that signifies the start of a new Halo trilogy. Halo 4's weapon variety has proved well, the new Suppressor rifle, the awesome Binary Rifle, and my favorite quick-piercing weapon, the SAW! Great lighting, brilliant resolution, aesthetically brilliant battlefields, balanced game play, great adventurous music! A few problems however, were the dumb ally AI's as they don't bother moving at times which meant more Promethean and Covenant stress for me, the Promethean Lancers were just too repetitive, I was getting enraged after they managed to scare the crap out of me so many times when they teleported in front of my damn face, I lost my sniper scope focus while screaming at the Infinity level battlefield!! For me, they are more frightening than the Flood foe and the grotesque Elites that kept going melee on your arse! The skeletal faces of the Prometheans still frightens me after I had finished the campaign..but what Halo 4 also brought was the emotional attachment between John-117 and Cortana, truly touching. I'd love to see Halo 5 being much darker than its predecessor in terms of storyline! Well done 343! Expand
  42. Dec 2, 2012
    Distinct sense of "Meh" - the Halo storylines have become weaker and weaker since the original. The single-player campaign is of course graphically gorgeous, but boring and unmotivated as all heck. The enemy AI is seriously dumb; the one redeeming quality is the ability to play coop.
  43. Dec 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'd give this game an 8.75. There are a few overly cheesy sequences in the campaign (I'm sorry, but Cortana just hasn't been the same since HALO: CE) and I personally don't find all the loadouts useful. The music isn't quite as spectacular as the originals, but hey, blame that on US Trademark law, not 343. NOW, THE GOOD! With the exception of the cheesy speed bumps, the campaign is spectacular. As Reach was the eulogy of a planet and a squad, Halo 4 is the final moments of gaming's oddest love story. The relationship between Chief and Cortana is utterly amazing, as is their debate about the humanity of one another. The multiplayer is just, wow. 343 really did a great job at making the weapons balanced (and sounding awesome!) and the maps unique. But more than anything, the ability to subtlely change the loadouts (no power or weapon is overpowered), the addition of ordinance drops, and creating randomized power weapons on the map keeps the focus on the battle, not on finding the best uber-weapon to blow things sky-high. Having logged over 100 hours into multiplayer, I still find myself going back for more, something I NEVER do with multiplayer. Seriously, try out Big Team Battle; it's like no other BTB in Halo. Spartan Ops is also decent, but where Firefight was slightly better than multiplayer in Reach, War Games is far and above more engaging than SO. Oh, and I love how they have a rotating game mode each week; it's nice way to keep things fresh. So, no game is perfect, and Halo 4 has it's flaws. But as a test of skill and teamwork that stays fresh, it shines like few others. Expand
  44. Dec 8, 2012
    This game plays very similiar to the other Halo games with its face paced combat, excessive dying, same enemies and an addition to a few knew ones. In fact, the game plays out so "the same" that it seems like the Halo series is now "the never ending story". And I think this is the disappoint that I have with the game in the underwhelming adversary that follows the same potline as the first three games. There is a deeper interaction with Master Chief and Cortana, however, that alone is not enough to make the game really interesting. When a game is only six hours long, you need a story to compensate the short game play. This one wasn't as bad as O.D.S.T, but not much better. Expand
  45. May 5, 2014
    I love this game! This is by far the best Halo in the series!!! Multiplayer is well balanced and plays incredibly. I love the Halo story and this was a great part of it. The graphics were AMAZING for the 360!!!! and Spartan Ops is pretty cool too!
  46. Nov 8, 2012
    Terrific graphics, sound - standard AAA game fair there, story was compelling a rare case of a games story that made me want to keep playing to see it unfold. The problems are many here but they're par for the course for AAA fps games these days, linear level design, tiny multiplayer maps (thank you consoles, your pathetic hardware continues to hamstring us) and while compelling at the end I came away realizing that it was the characters I cared about and to try to avoid spoiling specifics here that's going to be a huge problem going forward. The ending left me dissapointed and a bit confused as all the build up around Master chief and whether he is in fact "broken" (emotionally/socially) and if so whether that's why he's so effective is left un-resolved. the plot is paper thin your enemies also lack any real motivation but that's par for the course for the series let alone the genre...so to wrap up why have I given this a higher score then it sounds like it deserves? Because it's better then it's predecessors in every way, but it's still the same old AAA fps. And I'm feeling sympathetic reading people complaining about the games ease while admitting to playing on normal or easy and all the jaded crap about paid reviewers. It's worth the box price for what it is, but also for what it might become there's a chance for a real story in an awesome world here, admittedly not with master chief after the events of the game... Expand
  47. Nov 6, 2012
    Halo 4 is a pretty big disappointment. It is not a bad game by any means. The production values are high, the graphics are fantastic and the score is amazing. Where Halo 4 falls short on is gameplay that's too familiar and multiplayer that's too different. The campaign while it has an interesting story, the gameplay is far too keen to older Halo's. While some might think that's not a bad thing because this is a Halo game. That is true, but you would think 343 would've taken more risks. The multiplayer fairs worse. While I admit it is fully playable and it's quite the bit of fun. It takes way too many queues from a certain other FPS franchise. Create a class, perks and kill streaks. While they have their own Halo style to them, it's just something 343 didn't need to implement just to appeal to the mass. Spartan Ops is 343's Firefight. Which is something I wished they'd put in instead because it would've kept me playing even longer. Halo 4 is a good FPS and is worth a purchase. However, they're is just disappointment after disappointment. I think my favourite FPS franchise is finally ending. Expand
  48. Nov 7, 2012
    This is exactly what the series needed, huge improvements in all areas especially online.
    This is a breath of fresh life for the series that I hope continues.
  49. Nov 6, 2012
    Halo 4 largely unscripted AI dependent combat set pieces set this apart from any COD games, that what it boils down to. More important than improved visuals which this got in spades, narrative is fine but what make you come back is how fun and challenging to fight against AI. Multi player does pick up some of the popular features in COD, but its remains very much Halo in its heart and instantly familiar to those who loved previous iterations of Halo MP modes. No Firefight but Spartan Ops Mode make up for it, episodic co op campaign with mates.

What to hate? Don't want then don't buy, but if you tired of same old COD iron sight based game, this is a breath of fresh air on a new planet!
  50. Nov 9, 2012
    Outstanding campaign and its story. Art design, music, character development... all top notch. Multiplayer is a blast as well. 343 really took the torch and expanded the universe impressively.
  51. Dec 7, 2012
    I liked Halo 1, didn't care for Halo 2 and Halo 3 was okay. It's actually really refreshing to see a shooter other than Call of Duty. The game is leagues ahead of any CoD game, and what I don't understand is that the overall "Professional" scores of this game is on par with Black Ops 2??? That doesn't make any sense considering CoD has been the same since MW2. Halo 4 is in somewhat the same as Halo 3 was but also a lot different. I liked how they gave MC more character development which was lacking in the previous titles. The game looks great, the sounds are awesome, the multiplayer is even better than the previous games, even though it's always been pretty good anyways. If you give this game a low score but give any Call of Duty game a good score then there's something wrong with you. Even Halo 1 still has more things you can do with than any CoD game. I own a PS3 and a 360 and I usually play my PS3 more, but I have to give this game my recommendation, it's probably the only shooter that is different than the others and is one of the best to date IMO. Keep in mind that this franchaise is what made the original Xbox and without this franchaise we might not even have the Xbox 360 today :) Expand
  52. Nov 12, 2012
    Excellent addition to the halo series, Halo 4 boasts great graphics, awesome looking cut scenes, voice acting, and classic Halo gameplay. If your a fan on halo you will not be let down. The Prometheans are fairly cool and their wepons are pretty sweet too. As far as the story goes it was pretty good, but not once did i feel like i had a grip on what was going on, its never super clear on what is happening or why your in a specific location and so on. Multiplayer is what youd expect from halo, great. Overall Halo 4 is an awesome game that any fan should go out and buy. Expand
  53. Dec 12, 2012
    the first time you play the game, all you can say is: awesome. Not only the addicted shooting and action throughout the game, but also the very memorable story, and plus, the almost-unbeatable outstanding visual. You cannot help but falling in the famous multiplayer of the game. Without a doubt this game is the killer application, a genuine signature game of XBOX 360. If you intend to buy a XBOX just for playing Halo 4, it's a good reason Expand
  54. Nov 8, 2012
    The single player campaign is entertaining up to a point but then you reach a level where you are stuck using the lame Promethean weapons, which look cool at first but feel just like hi-tech versions of the human weapons. 343 are really lazy with level design and there aren't many classic Halo moments of jaw dropping scenery. Lots of the later levels look similar and the final third of the game is just a slog. I could forgive most of this if it wasn't for the Call of Duty style multiplayer mode. 3 games online and my friends and I went straight back to playing Halo Reach. Massive disappointment. Expand
  55. Nov 13, 2012
    Let me first start off by saying I have been a hardcore halo fan for so many years, having bought all the halo games and loving every one of them (including halo wars which I thought was a underrated game).I so desperately want to give this game a great rating,but I couldn't.The only thing that kept my review up to a 6 and almost a 7 was the fact that the online multiplayer kicked my ass till my cheeks turned red.
    MULTIPLAYER:

Some people might say that it ripped off COD, but I thought they kept that same halo formula, but made it more engaging and action packed.Sprinting was added because every modern game nowadays has sprinting and it makes matches more up tempo because there is more engagement spots.Another big thing added was the oradence drops and I don't remember COD having a choice of 3 random weapons or upgrades which came after a certain amount of points.In the end this multiplayer will keep me playing for years to come and has nothing but room to improve in the next 2 games.

CUSTOM GAMES AND FORGE:

This is the place where halo 4 really falls flat to me.In all my years playing halo the most important part to me was the customization.In halo 4 I would have to give this a 1.5. 343 took the whole new multiplayer to far and destroyed the one thing that made Halo the premier game on xbox over COD and what gave me so many great memories of playing Halo 3 until the sun came up. Creating new innovative maps and gametypes that have me playing to this day. Halo 3 might not have been the most visually stunning game but with all the customization and support bungie put into the game,Halo 3 was what you made of it.Now with Halo 4 they through that all out the window, they don't even have a file share anymore and no race gametype. They replaced infection with Flood which I could go on about the enormity of stupidity that is in this gametype. To say it bluntly the zombies are over powered, and you can't customize s***!You can't even give the zombies a gravity hammer or any other weapon plus you cant even change the loadout for the infection. All those great infection gametypes are gone.I haven't even gotten to the worst part of it yet,they took out all the classic halo gametypes.One flag, assault,juggernaut,the list goes on.The only positive was an improved griffball and thats it.I will give it to them though the forgeing in this game is phenomenal. The magnets make making maps so much faster, but warning they can make some things uneven if your making a flat surface. The only downside to it is that it is practically impossible to create a gametype for your map. I had spent all night creating this great one flag map and I tried every combination to even make it a regular CTF game, didn't work. Alright then maybe I can create a slayer map... nope. So lastly I resorted to dominion and it worked and but ohh was it glitchy. The shields worked when they wanted to, and the turrets switched teams every 30 seconds. It was so disappointing after all the work we put into that map to have it barely playable. If they they polish this I think Halo 5 could be a 10.

CAMPAIGN:

For me the campaign was well polished and full of action, but uneventful. I want to state the flaws strait out. One is that the ending was boring to say the least I want to finish it myself, not in some quicktime event.The other thing was that Halo 4 didn't produce any great moments that Halo 3 created so many of. Destroying the scarab, storming the beach against the covenant, that final driving scene while the ring was collapsing, and the list goes on. I will give them a pass here because it was their first time around, but I won't be so easy on the halo 5 campaign.

CO-OP:

This section I will be brief on but honest. The CO-OP in this game is mediocre at best. First off I have to say. They replaced firefight with this crap! This is at the peak of bull s*** mountain to me. Spartan Ops is dull and recycled maps every episode and is nothing but killing enemies and flipping switches. There is no altering of the game mode or point system giving you no satisfaction after a kill. I have played through the first two episodes and it is the same exact thing except you start out on a different part of the map.

CONCLUSION:

Halo 4 succeeds in creating a innovative and engaging multiplayer but falls short on co-op and customization. As for the campaign, they did a pretty good job for their first go around, but needs more wow moments.
  56. Dec 27, 2013
    Following the highly publicised change of developer the gaming world was rightly curious as to how one of its biggest selling franchises would fare following the departure of its creators Bungie. Despite now being developed by 343 industries however this is still, for better or worse, the same Halo we've all seen before and those that criticise the series for not really evolving since its Xbox debut over a decade ago certainly make a fair point. As a result this fourth 'mainline' title is not really going to be of any interest to those that didn't like previous installments.

Having said all that Halo 4 is still undeniably a great package and certainly offers better value for money than many modern video games. The main campaign itself will last most players somewhere around the 10 hour mark depending on the difficulty setting and their level of skill and can be played either solo or with up to three other players. As with every previous game it is at its best when offering open areas in which to fight the array of enemies and their vehicles and to this day there are few better experiences in the FPS genre than when Halo gets the balance just right. For me the game forces players to spend a little too long inside long thin corridors and smaller indoor areas as in these instances the freedom to tackle the battle the way you want to is removed and it simply is not as much fun to play, hopefully this is something that can be addressed in the inevitable sequels.

On top of the campaign Halo 4 also provides a series of 'Spartan Op' missions. Each of these lasts between 15 and 30 minutes and can again be tackled either alone or in multi-player. The idea seems to have been taken from the special ops missions featured in the Call of Duty series and provide the player with various tasks such as clearing an area of enemies or destroying set objectives. Admittedly maps are reused throughout these ops but it is hard to complain when they can all be downloaded for free.
    The final part of this generous package is the competitive multi-player. All the usual modes, as well as a few surprises, are present and correct and the solid gunplay still translates well. Controversially Halo 4 has again taken a page out of the Call of Duty handbook with weapons and perks now being unlocked as the player levels up. I was never a huge fan of the online multi-player in the previous installments anyway but purists will understandable be disappointed and it is certainly a shame to see yet another game attempt to imitate Activisions all conquering behemoth.

All in all then this is a safe but promising start for 343 industries and the wealth of options and modes will provide most with hour upon hour of gameplay.
  57. Nov 15, 2012
    It feels a little lacking in the campaign area compared to Bungie additions, however, the campaign is still fun, varied, and looks amazing. Topped with more brilliant writing and voice acting, the campaign is still a solid area of the game. My main issue is that it feels a little more repetitive at times. The multiplayer is a MASSIVE improvement over Reach though. Instead of being lazy forge edits, all the maps are unique and interesting to navigate. I was originally skeptical about more armor abilities and loadouts, but the loadouts are limited and balanced and the stars of the game are still equipment you find on the map or call in as ordinance. A simple loadout system doesn't make this game CoD when the core gameplay is still Halo. Ignore any reviews on here attempting to make that point because it's just stupid. Expand
  58. Nov 6, 2012
    Epic new story arc started... and wow to Cortana & MC's banter in this Halo.. the best yet.

Campaign was awesome, and haven't played much multiplayer yet, but from what I can tell, it's pretty bleeding good. My only complaint would be the matchmaking (no 'Best Connection' filter) but I like how there's more emphasis on skill matching anyway, all good!
  59. Nov 19, 2012
    Halo 4 isn't a perfect game, but it's a good example of how to revitalize a franchise whose success is in doubt as a result of transitioning developers. In fact, 343 Industries in many ways surpasses Bungie's in design and storytelling, and this is particularly evident in the campaign but can generally be seen everywhere in the game. Halo 4's campaign, albeit it a rather short journey even accounting for skill gaps, is the franchise's best when it comes to storytelling. The beauty is that Halo 4's story isn't just told through the cutscenes--as beautiful as they are--but through the living breathing world of Requiem and the ongoing battle Cortana faces--much of it in-game--with her own mortality. Fundamentally, Halo 4 is a game about humanity, more specifically, the humanity of the dynamic duo of the Master Chief. In Halo 4, we are posed with the interesting question of who is more machine than man: the rampant AI who is unable to distinguish between her cognitive self and human identity, or the one man tank who seemingly has no weakness, yet, at his core, is a human being. 343i sets this as the core of the campaign, and the consistent storytelling that results isn't simply good, it is quite honestly tear-jerking. Presentation wise, Halo--or any other game on the Xbox--hasn't looked better. The planet of Requiem pops with detail, from the vicious Promothean Knights to the structures that seemingly defy the laws of physics. The MC's character model is incredibly refined, with dents and scrapes signifying the journey of the MC not only as a soldier, but as a person--battered and self-questioning. The sound has nearly been redone, and everything sounds fantastic--from the intimidating weapons fire, phenomenal voice acting to the clunk of MJOLNIR armor on metal.

Gameplay wise, Halo 4 is still Halo, even with all the additions 343i has made. The triangle of guns, grenades and melee is unbroken and those who master this triangle will consistently outcompete those who have not. Multiplayer is as dynamic as it has ever been, striking the right balance between a a worthwhile progression system and a balanced experience core to Halo. Spartan Ops, while great in concept, is ahit and miss with brief "missionettes" that aren't really cohesive. Luckily, 343i has room to improve this future episodes, but for fans of Halo's lore such as myself, Spartan Ops is certainly an improvement over monotonous AI killing characteristic of.Firefight.

My biggest complaint about Halo 4 is the removal of some of the customization that made Halo 3 great. In the Forge, precision editing without the use of coordinates is no longer possible, and in gametypes, the classic Infection is no longer available. The latter is detrimental as this is the one gametype which spawned hundreds of very memorable custom experiences in Halo 3 and even Reach. Overall, Halo 4 is a massive win for not only 343i, but for Halo fans and the gaming industry in general. Anyone who owns an Xbox owes themselves to pick up this game.
  60. Jan 25, 2013
    Same game, slightly better graphics. The multi-player is almost not even worth playing anymore. Please just stop, it's about as bad as a new COD every year.
  61. Jan 28, 2013
    This review will be for halo fans and i can only say that if u love the other halo games you will certainly enjoy this one. Only a couple of things though,the battle areas arent as big as they are in reach or no.3 and some of the later stages are a tad repetitve but graphically is probably the best halo. I still think that reach is a touch better and halo 3 a little more epic but overall this can stand proudly in the halo canon. Expand
  62. Nov 7, 2012
    While the story started dull and kinda fast i kept playing and then... I understood that this was one of the best halo games yet IMO.
    It has addicting multiplayer matchmaking, good storyline (also kinda fast)
    it's graphics are top-notch.
    Halo has surprised me yet again!
  63. Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks to no stop nerd complaining the user review for yet another large release is ruined. I know for so many people a catty internet complaint fest is a one way ticket to fame it makes the score pointless. In this case the game is great, go buy it. Don't know why people do the lame buy/rent it when most rental places are long gone. If you are one of those I don't like halo just get over yourself and play a cool game. Expand
  64. Nov 26, 2012
    This game was fantastic I honestly don't know what a lot of people are complaining about. 343 industries have done a great job, and yes there may be some stuff in there that COD has but gaming evolves and if you don't evolve with it you'll end up with the dinosaurs.
  65. Nov 21, 2012
    Halo 4 is not a perfect game. There are moments where it does outshine many other shooters like the previous Halos, but those moments [as grand and big as some as they are] do get bogged down in the details. To start, the campaign, is great, but not a game changer. The campaign has a really good story [not the best one in the series] and is more emotional and honest. Getting to know the Chief a little better and seeing the problems with Cortana and the such makes for a compelling story, intertwined with the Prometheans and the such. However, the threat itself was not... well, I felt they were tying to go for a more 'YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD' sort of story and while yes, thats what Halo is about [like in 1 - 3], it was a dramatic battle to a countdown that really felt out of place [coming from the previous campaigns]. Still, it was a good story and everything was paced quite well. Prometheans are a fun lot to fight and the little variations in the missions left everything in a nice bow. Side Note: they couldve put skulls in the game that you actually had to hunt down, would have been nice but whatever. Also, the fact you cant view terminals in game but have to log into waypoint really doesnt motivate me to go looking for those. Easter eggs were one reason to replay the campaign and this campaign just doesnt motivate me.
    MULTIPLAYER: The multiplayer is faster and has a ton of replayability but I feel they could have tweaked the damage output of a few weapons a bit more carefully since a few are nerfed while others are OP. Zombies is a joke however, thats honestly something they screwed up. overall, a fun game, worth the money if youre a Halo fan.
  66. Nov 10, 2012
    This game was.....ok. Not as good as the other ones. The quality of the series keeps going down and down. As great as HALO2 was, 3 then 4 continue the downward spiral of the once great series. I suggest if you wanna play a great shooter, try Black Ops 2.
  67. Nov 7, 2012
    Metacritic deleated my review earlier because I said they should disable ratings because of the amount of trolls bringing the rating down... Looks like they really do care huh? But I'll still say that the game is amazing and you should buy it and I still stand by what I said earlier. For the sake of this site, stop ignoring our cries for help.... Bye.
  68. Dec 13, 2012
    Halo 4, one of the biggest disappointments of this year. Don't let that box fool you, you're not buy a Halo game. You're buying a game that not only does it rid itself of all content and quality that made Halo what it is they adopt elements from every other generic FPS on the market. Neither do they even attempt to make sure these elements work in the preexisting game play. Horrible maps from Certain Affinity, an asinine weapons sandbox that is littered with 1 hit kill weapons, no competitive ranking system to make sure a beginner doesn't fight against someone of same skill but someone who is light years ahead of them. Custom games setting basically got nurtured, almost 6 weeks after it's release and they still don't have file browsing up. It's a box of broken gameplay elements, false promises, poor execution. The only thing this game has been is one continuous promotion of Mountain Dew and Doritos. Expand
  69. Nov 9, 2012
    I have played every single Halo game - except for Halo Wars. And, I was quite worried about Halo 4, not being sure what to expect from 343 vs. Bungie. Overall, this is very solid game. I should note that this is a review for the single-player campaign as I'm not much of multiplayer gamer. As far as the campaign goes, I have some mixed feelings. As far as story goes, the story for this outing is second only to the original halo as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't in love with some of the Cortana voicework, but I greatly enjoyed the story, the direction of the plot, and the focus on the relationship between MC and Cortana. To me the story was the highlight of this release. The graphics in some areas are also pretty incredible. In other areas - especially when inside the forerunner structures they were very meh. Kind of a Tron:Legacy feeling - but it was hard to distinguish see some barriers in the final flying section. Gameplay was solid - but somewhat of a let down. The gameplay is very solid - no complaints with regard to controls or how the guns handle, etc. But, I was really hoping for more innovation - especially in the forerunner weapons. But, basically, they fell into the standard tropes - I.e. Sniper Riffle, Assault Rifle, Shotgun. There were a couple of weapons that I didn't try - but pretty much we've seen and used them all before. While there were some interesting and new set pieces in this game - I'm hoping they will bring more innovation to the next two games. Yes, the Knights require a slightly different strategy - but overall you are doing the same thing from previous games. Fight grunts, fight elites, fight hunters, rinse/repeat. Changing out the flood for the forerunner units doesn't add that much for. Finally, I do wish the campaign was longer. I know I'm in the minority - but I want more for my $60 than 7-10 hours. I've little interest in multi-player and don't think its unreasonable to expect a 15-20 hour single-player campaign for a AAA title. That being said - I do not regret paying full price for this game. While I had hoped for more innovation - this is definitely the second best game in the series. Not as mind-blowing as the original Halo - but I'm not sure if that is possible. This game was a very strong effort - and will definitely bring me back for the next chapter. I wished for a stronger sense of "new & different" from this release, but otherwise I would recommend this game. Its a very worthy addition to the Halo franchise - and 343 really deserves to be successful. They put a lot of love and hard work, and it shows in the story that will keep you playing until the end. Expand
  70. Nov 9, 2012
    Seriously? 0's? The people on here giving this game a 0 are 1. spamming trolls, and/or 2. need to grow a backbone and play the game on at least Heroic. Giving this game a 0 is just idiotic. That's the problem with Metacritic user reviews. And as far as the critic reviews: Really Metactitc? You're going to include some no name site called, "Quarter to Three?" Really? Again, giving this game a "20" is just a sign of low intelligence, lazy gaming, or an agenda. This game is great. Is it revolutionary? No. But it is a sincere effort, and you can tell that 343I put their hearts and souls into its creation. The story is the best Halo story since Halo CE and the motion capture is unparalleled. The multiplayer combines aspects of Halo and Call of Duty and makes COD look stale by comparison. I can't wait for the next installment. Expand
  71. Nov 11, 2012
    I have played all of the Halo's and really like them, So going into this one I was pretty nervous cause this was 343 and not Bungie. Campaign: The Campaign in this game is pretty short but at that it is a awesome one. Story was great. Chief having to deal with Cortana's Rampancy and the main enemy is pretty good. Shows Chiefs and Cortana's connection more than in any of the previous Halo's. Solid Campaign. The Multiplayer while very good has taken too many things from Call Of Duty. Like sprinting, Loadouts, Ordnance Drops (Care Package like things), Currency, Instant Spawn, there is more than that but lets move on. Those are pretty much my only gripes about the Multiplayer and I am hoping that they will remove some of this in Halo 5. Spartan Ops is a pretty good addition to the game, Fun and will keep pulling you back for weeks. This game may be the best graphical looking game on the Xbox 360. Sound is good and they have re done almost all sounds. Soundtrack: While the soundtrack is completely new it fits in with the game perfectly so no problems with that. I will give it a 9.5 if I could. Expand
  72. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is not just the best Halo since Halo 2, it is THE best Halo yet. After the spectacular Halo 2 I was not disappointed per say by 3, but underwhelmed. Halo 4 however has delivered in every way possible, it has done everything it has promised and more. The writing is fresh and better than in any previous Halo game, the game play is similar, but with enough new elements to keep it interesting and fun and the story itself is just mind blowing, especially for Halo fans out there, though I'm sure people experiencing halo for the first time will enjoy it too. I could care less about the graphics, some of the best games in history have had terrible graphics by today's standards, but this game has nearly perfect graphics as well. Everything about this game is as close to perfection as possible and I can tell it has been polished to an absolute shine. If you are already a Halo fan then you will absolutely love this game, if you are not already and perhaps didn't like the previous ones, try this one out, it could easily sway you I'm sure. Oh and all of this is just based on the campaign, I haven't even touched on the multiplayer yet; a game has to be able to stand on it's campaign alone first, then it's multiplayer, if it has it. Multiplayer is a bonus, but in this case even the multiplayer is near perfection. GET THIS GAME, I promise you won't regret it. Expand
  73. Jan 5, 2013
    Woah, just woah. I was expecting a pretty good campaign but no where near as good as it was. The story was amazing. Graphics are amazing, especially the scenery. There is nothing wrong with it all. For me, multiplayer was a slight step down from Reach. It's still great fun, if not better in areas. However, one thing I really was looking forward too that I didn't get was Firefight, which was one of my favourite game modes which I would love to have seen brought into Halo 4. Other then that, 343 Industries have done a great job taking over where Bungie left. Expand
  74. Dec 25, 2012
    Single player wise, Halo 4 fails to deliver. I always appreciated the backstory for the Halo universe, and the concept of humanity being on the edge of extinction due to war with the technologically superior Covenant. Now, you're not only fighting Covenant for some reason but also Forerunner dudes (all 3 types) because of... a prophecy? I guess? I don't know. Apparently if I had read Glasslands it would have made more sense, but I'm not going to buy a book just to get the backstory for an FPS. The campaign is at times pretty, until you set foot into a Forerunner level and your eyes are burned from their sockets by the overwhelming blue/orange contrast. Fortunately single player ends fairly quickly, but not before you see Cortana become Master Chief's crazy emo girlfriend. The multiplayer manages to make up for the single player, and ironically seems to be where 343 focused most of the story. You've got the standard Halo MP fare, with a few modes that have been more fleshed out. The biggest addition is Spartan Ops, which replaces Firefight from previous titles. It's pretty decent on it's own, and plays a bit like the standalone co-op missions found in other titles like BF3, though the loss of Firefight does kind of suck. Maybe it'll be re-introduced? We can always hope. Anyway Halo 4 is a solid game if you're looking for just MP stuff, but I'm a bit worried about the direction 343 is taking the storyline. Expand
  75. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Surprisingly 343 delivered well, i enjoyed the story, the new gun sounds or different gun sounds, a new enemy, new death animations (the fading out) the story is still a bit holed on a lot of ends, but none of it is major enough to effect the game. I would've loved to here more about the "Librarian", the "didact"(hope i spelled that right), and more about lasky as well as the characters. Del Rio can go to HE double hockey sticks. Great voice acting, from the action series lasky looks very different in game. The AI is still pretty much useless as always. And your really doing everything on your own. Overall i am surprised. Graphics-..., Gameplay-7, New stuff-10, Acting out-10 i haven't played any multiplayer or tried any custom games yet so yea... Expand
  76. Nov 7, 2012
    The Halo series returns with a lot of new and a lot of old. Be prepared for sandbox firefight shenanigans all over again. Newbies are filled in one the experience straight up luckily, but only loosely because this is a brand new trilogy. The Master Chief returns along with his AI companion Cortana in their most thought out adventure yet. The duo first crash land into a Forerunner planet, Requiem after the Chief is woken up from Cryo but Cortana is descending into rampancy, a process where AI Expand
  77. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 isn't Halo... it's something new, and as hard as it is to say, it's something better. 343 brought Halo into the current generation of modern shooters without copping out and making a CoD clone. Halo 4 is still, at it's core, a pure shooters, without much digression due to loadouts, perks and so on. While all those things now exist in Halo 4, they have very little affect on the gameplay and all the little mechanics, functions and systems developed by players throughout the years, the systems and algorithms to winning matches, still exist and prevail over loadout specification in Halo 4. Every fan of Halo and gaming in general can and should appreciate this game. But that is matchmaking alone. The narrative and gameplay in the campaign and spartan Ops has been completely rebooted for this generation. Players always know the story and what is going on, without having it hammered into their skull with a gravity hammer. The art direction, dialogue and overall scheme of things are a great work of art and the way the story goes between campaign and Spartan Ops have completely opened up the universe for infinite possibilities within the universe. This game is the second coming of Master Chief and of Halo as a whole. long live 343. Expand
  78. Dec 13, 2012
    After about 2 Minutes into the single player game, it was obvious that 343 completely forgot what happened at the end of Halo 3. Why would you still be fighting the same enemies that were in the first game when it moved on in the previous two installments? Not to mention it's starting to look like Call of Duty with the quick time boss cutscene. Anyway the only playable part of it seems to be Multiplayer and Spartan Ops. There isn't much hope for a sequel. Collapse
  79. Jun 18, 2013
    343i did well on Halo, they really did, but several things really held it back as an avid fan of the franchise. pros: solid controls solid weapons felt good to use great multiplayer(something we haven't seen since halo 3) amazing visuals gorgeous cutscenes cons: disappointing story. As a reader of the books, the end just absolutely made no sense and was the height of anti-climax.

poor level design at times. It felt like the library all over again, just repetition with no clear next location

uninspired spaces didn't always feel like Halo I knew, while others were amazing, there seemed to be a gap in cohesive design.

Overall its a game that works out well. But if you don't care for multiplayer it would be a tough game to suggest to someone.
  80. Nov 13, 2012
    Ok I know what your thinking oh look a fake review from a halo fan just so halo looks better. I personally hate those people so id never want to form someones opinion over my own. Anyway to the game, you are master chief as the forward onto dawn is crashing into the forerunner planet requiem. As soon as you take your first step you have to take note of beauty of the games its the best looking halo to date. Some light is a little flashy but nothing so annoying where you can't handle it. The story is a great story where you your reminded how bad mater chief is and how he could destroy an entire army with one gun. Onto the forge, ok i have to say I was pretty disappointed with the forge its really annoying with the generating light thing after you get out of the ball every time. It was so annoying I lost my old love i had for the forge but that was one thing i was unhappy with other then that the magnet thing is really good the duplicate is an amazing addition to the forge world. What saves the forge and amplifies the overall experience in my opinion is the multiplayer, it feels like halo 3 again. The game matches you with people around your level so you won't be getting shot at by like level 30s and their light rifles. The load outs actually played a nice roll in the online i personally thought it would play out like COD but halo had its own twist that justified the fact that this is halo. The gameplay of online is so fast paced it just like the old days with new maps and guns. Infinity slayer is easily one of the best game modes along with regicide and big team. nothing feels rushed or over prepared or under repaired. I give halo a 9/10 i loved everything about it except for the new forges light setting but other then that a near perfect game. Halo is back. Expand
  81. Nov 6, 2012
    I already wrote a review for this game but i feel like the other reviewers are giving extremely harsh scores for small details.. if u have already read my other review i've said that the game is different from halos past.. its gone for the more sci-fi route. ive seen people write about clunky vehicles? im sorry i don't know what game you're playing but its not halo 4 cause i had no trouble driving the vehicles. Expand
  82. Dec 10, 2013
    I just dropped by to say that Quarter to Three is a moron and should be removed from the critics list. 2/10? Really? He is just as stupid as those users giving 0 to any game they don't like. This game is easily 9 or 10.
  83. Jan 14, 2013
    This is my Halo 3 review. THE BEST Halo game i have played so far. Campaign AWESOME. Multiplayer AMAZING. Forge INCREDIBLE. Theater BRILLIANT. Easy 10 in my mind and a lot of others. HALO FTW!

This is my Halo 4 review.

This game sucks. 343 took out the good and added crap. I have written enough negative stuff about this game on Halo Waypoint so i'm not about to write a whole
    paragraph on here. 5/10 Expand
  84. Nov 6, 2012
    Genearlly an average game, it does have pretty graphics and an okay story, but in the end I was dissapointed with most of the games aspects, I wasn't a fan of the story or of the multiplayer and I found that the game was lacking in some areas during the campagin, but despite these problems of course fans are going to like it, but if you're not a fan, don't buy it, a waste of time and money.
  85. Nov 6, 2012
    Halo 4 is an amazing game and 343 did a great job bringing master chief back. The story, graphics, sound design, level design, and multiplayer are all the best of any shooter I've played this year. The gameplay still feels like classic halo but, brings new guns and mechanics into the game to still make it feel fresh. The campaign isn't very long but, it isn't too short either, just the right length without growing tiresome. The multiplayer is a whole different beast, definitely reminds me of halo 2, which in my opinion had the best multiplayer in the series until now. 343 did an amazing job on this game and I can't wait to get my hands on halo 5 for the next gen Xbox. Expand
  86. Nov 8, 2012
    This game is incredible, Im a die hard halo fan and playing through this game was just amazing. The graphics and sound design are impeccable. So many people doubted 343 but they have delivered.
  87. Dec 1, 2012
    Combat - Cleanest and most balanced yet with countless ways to play effectively even online. Whatever gun loadout you choose and power up you can always be effective
    Story - Pulled me back into the Halo universe and gives you A LOT of information and story content in a short time period and if you don't know the lore and have not watched some of the content on Waypoint or the in game
    terminals than you might get lost pretty easily.
    Enemies - Unique combat in all game types makes it fun and on legendary forces you to be the perfect soldier
    Spartan Ops - Special mention because two reasons the first the cinematic is addicting I find myself anticipating it as much as I would my favourite TV series. However the missions can be generic.
    War games - Very well done good maps overall great new game types but I do miss big team objective.
    Forge - Very well done and can't wait to see what people can create!
  88. Nov 17, 2012
    First off, I'm almost entirely a single player guy, so this review will be heavily biased in that regards. If you want to know about multiplayer, this review is not for you. Saying that, previous Halo games have always provided me with more than enough single player value for my dollar. Halo 4 is the first time I have not felt this way. As short as part 4 was, this was the first time I ever had to force myself to finish a Halo game. I began to wonder if after so many Halo games, if perhaps I had finally gotten tired of them. So I loaded up Halo Reach, and it was quickly reestablished why I love Halo so much after all. No, this wasn't a Halo thing. It was a Halo 4 thing. No joke, I had more fun in a single 30 minute single player round of Reach firefight then I did in the entire Halo 4 campaign. Thinking more on the whole Bungie's past visions of Halo vs. 343's new vision of Halo, I found something that summoned up my thoughts perfectly. A comparison of the former Firefight vs the new Spartan Ops. Firefight (Bungie) gives 1-4 people a hugh number of options, weapons, vehicles, levels and enemies, then lets you decide how you want to play the game to make your own fun. Spartan Ops (343) wants to tell you what to do, when to do it, and how you should do it. And it also wants to sell you a Gold membership at the same time. No thanks. Bungies Halos were nothing short of brilliant. 343's Halo was a good first attempt, yes. But its lacking it so many areas I just can't recommend it as a single player only game for those expecting more of the same. The campaign on display is a shell of it's former self. The new enemies, new weapons, empty battlefields, rail like progression (reviews that say the sandbox feel is better than ever are lying to you), horribly lifeless areas with little diversity (if I never see another silver level filled with orange neon lights and orange enemies with orange weapons it will be too soon), and enemy AI, can't hold a candle to what's already been established in the previous Halo games. And the worst new offender would be the reduced grenade damage in single player. My biggest guilty pleasure in Halo has always been making sure to save at least one grenade for when the enemy congregated in large numbers so I could reign down firey death. In halo 4 I would just as soon throw my grenades off a cliff for all the good they did. Another thing Bungie's Halos did great was introducing new enemy types with a bang, and making me fear and respect certain types of enemies. I have many fond memories of enemy encounters in past Halo games. What do I remember about Halo 4's enemies? Not fear, but dread. Dread of tedium (how many bullets does this thing take before warping and reshielding?) and cheap tactics over genuine challenge when a new Promethan knight appeared. That and about half way through the game I began wondering how long had I already been killing these resident evil dogs for. 343 / Microsoft have two directions to go in at this point. Bring back the single player value, or continue with the multiplayer only focus. Since we've already seen it's possible to do both, I'm hoping they choose the former over the latter. Expand
  89. Nov 7, 2012
    First things first. the game is amazing, id give it a 9 but i have bumped it to ten just to try and counter the morons giving it 0 and 1. In reality, this is one of the best halo games so far, with respect to bungie of course. Having followed on from reach and CE the multiplayer really is top notch stuff, and don't even get me started on the campaign - absolutely wonderful, probably my new favorite in the series over reach's campaign. 343 have had a lot to live up to and they've not only lived up to it, but they have done so in their own way. Pros: great campaign, great multiplayer overall, very well polished. cons: not too sure about specializations yet, but i guess we'll see Expand
  90. Nov 7, 2012
    Currently the average user ratings stand at 5.3 due to all the haters giving the game a 0 rating which is quite honestly criminal, yes the campaign is short and the new multiplayer direction may not suit all previous hlo players but with out a doubt this is still a great game and should at least score a 7 for players that dont like the changes. Graphical the game is one of the best looking console games to date, the story is strong and although i'm still not 100% sold on the COD/Halo game mechanics its still well above par and hats off to 343 for trying something diffrent. I was going to rate the game as a 8.5 to 9 but considering all the crappy reviews that some users are giving it, it deserves the extra 1 to 1.5 rating to make up for your reviewing skills. To all of you who haven't played the game yet don't believe the crappy scores if you are in doubt rent the game as i'm sure your love it and will end up buying it anyway, and for the wonderful reviews that have said I would have given this a 10 but because crap crap and more crap ..... so i'll give it a zero and for you that have said its a good game and given it a 0 you really should play the game first before reviewing it and if you have played it at least give it a score it deserves! rant over thanks for listening Expand
  91. Nov 19, 2012
    Halo 4 is an amazing installation in the Halo series that certainly rivals Halo 3. Halo has always been about story driven campaigns with amazing and varied enemy AIs, great set pieces, and an excellent musical score. All of these things have been pushed in the new game and the Promethean enemies bring much needed variety to the game. Also, the dialogue and character development exceeds anything done in previous titles. As for the multiplayer, Halo has ALWAYS changed up the formula. Come on fans, think about Halo 1 to 2. Dual wielding, online gameplay, playing as a covenant, two concurrent stories, and numerous gameplay changes led to a very different experience. In ODST Bungie tried the more open world approach and marine gameplay ideas. Reach obviously introduced armor abilities and much more. Not all the additions and changes have been popular, but the changes kept the series fresh. 343 Industries continues that tradition in Halo 4 and has reinvented the Halo series. Yes it has load outs, but this isn't Call of Halo. The way loadouts work is still distinctly Halo, and honestly this is the modernization the series needed while sticking to its core gameplay mechanics. I understand my fellow Halo fans griefing over this one. I've been a fan since Halo 1. This is taking the franchise in a new direction but honestly, I don't want a release of updated Halo 1s or 2s being made over and over again. I want new directions and I want the series to continue to being a foil for the more stagnant FPS series. So my vote goes for a changing series that keeps to core roots than more of the same. Expand
  92. Nov 17, 2012
    Opening:
    )most of my comments are based on the multiplayer, as I have not played the campaign through yet). I could, for some reason, simply never 'get into' the Halo franchise. I wanted too, believe me. It had everything I want in a game; Sci-fi story, sweet armor, awesome guns, but something just didn't stick for me. Now, with Halo 4, I have realized the genius behind this franchise.
    The controls are so simple, anyone could play it; and if that's the case, then why was I always getting pwn'd in multiplayer so horribly? Halo 4 takes skill, where as other shooters do not. This game is about getting headshots, not just about getting a shot off sooner than someone else (who chances are has a faster connection than you). While this isn't the most fun game I've ever played, it is a wonderful change of pace from what I'm used to.

Pros:
    - The graphics look better than any other Halo game before it. Textures look and FEEL great.
    - It's simple. There aren't any over complex menus or settings here, but there is enough depth in customization and unlocks to keep you coming back for more.
    - Halo Waypoint is awesome. I can check real time data at halowaypoint.com for my stats (Time played, games won/loss, most used weapon, kill/death ratio, etc.) across not only Halo 4, but the whole franchise...for FREE.
    - Winability: Yes, I just made that word up, but it applies well. If you take your time in matches and play right, rarely will you get worked over so much to the extent that you need to rage quit every match for half your afternoon/evening. This seems to be a much more fair and realistic game than other online shooters. I never find myself asking "How did i just get killed? This is BS!". When I die, I know it wasn't someone "hacking".

Cons:
    - Having not played previous Halo games, there is a bit of a learning curve to catch up to the rest of the community in terms of skill. This however, could be viewed as a plus however, since it may extend the playability with some hard work and dedication.
    - The weapon variation for multiplayer could be greater. There is a minimal amount of weapons to initially choose from and most of the others are available only as power ups mid-match. This also, could be a positive though, as it most likely keeps the player base fairly neutral in terms of unfair advantages between the n00bs and higher level players.

Overall, I am enjoying Halo 4 and looking forward to playing it for quite some time. This game is definitely worth purchasing.
  93. Jun 16, 2013
    I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed this game, the single player campaign that is. After the two previous titles, Reach and ODST, I didn't have any hope. But the game was amazing, great story, beautiful music. Multiplayer was a complete joke. Gigantic, ill conceived levels. The same boring mechanics, with played hoping about like idiots, over powered weapons. Halo multiplayer has been a complete waste of time for the casual gamer since Halo 3, favoring the preteen with nothing to do but spend hours a day playing the game. Only SWAT mode is any fun. But if you are going to play SWAT mode, then why bother with Halo in the first place as there are much better FPS you can play. Definitely pick this up used for the Single player. Expand
  94. Oct 20, 2013
    First of all, I'd like to just say that Halo 4 is perhaps THE BEST MULTIPLAYER SHOOTER on seventh-generation consoles due to the amount of variety. The weapons, game modes, extensive stats tracking, theatre mode, forge mode, awesome matchmaking and perfect pacing. Weapons are not only varied but balanced same with vehicles. The game modes such as SWAT are about barebones skill and accuracy; whilst Griffball is plain fun. 24 player deathmatches with vehicles are hectic without being broken. The class system is not overcomplicated nor does it put players at a disadvantage. Killstreaks simply provide weapon drops not automatic kills. The excitement, health system and "perks" as well as the ability to sprint are all excellent additions to the already complete multiplayer package with a solid progression system. This is as complete as multiplayer shooters get. Not only are the game mechanics and controls perfect, the "menu" stuff such as file share and custom game modes which allow you to fully change every miniscule aspect of the game from health and speed to round system, objective and weapon damage and restrictions etc. However, whilst the multiplayer is a complete and highly refined package, the campaign is hit-and-miss. There are far too many enemies without a break at many points, and despite there being a new faction as well as the Covenant, their weapons feel like bland copies of Covenant weapons but with an orange glow. Furthermore, the new enemies take way too many shots to kill and it's hard to tell when they're about to die, so playing through the first three levels felt like a boring chore rather than exciting and intense. The story was promising but felt under-developed. There was just too much action but not enough explanation the story felt tacked on even though it could have been amazing. I couldn't feel any empathy for Cortana and Master Chief because there just wasn't enough cutscenes and storytelling. Gameplay and level design are a bit cliché compared to Reach, and in some levels I thought I was playing Prey rather than Halo. Sure, there are some good levels and I'm sure die-hard Halo fans will love it, but anyone who's only got a mild or passive interest in Halo should consider Reach instead. Overall Halo 4 is a fantastic shooter and perhaps the best game in the series, but it's not a huge leap from Halo Reach in any department. Expand
  95. Nov 14, 2012
    What is happening?Why would someone in perfect mental health, give a note below 8 for Halo 4? HOW? As a site is able to give a 2 for it? I do not know what's happening ... But I know that I give a 10 because that's what he deserves, if it were possible, i would give a 11 for Halo 4, because was way beyond my expectations, the best graphics I've ever seen are in it, this it the best story i've ever seen in a game, a competitive multiplayer and addictive are in it, finally, there are no perfect games, but this one borders on perfection. Expand
  96. Cg1
    Nov 6, 2012
    The campaign was amazing. The emotional connection between Chief and Cortana was a central highlight of the plot. The villain was something Halo needed, and he is a worthy adversary for John. Everything from sound design, graphics, gameplay, map design, was amazing! There were so many details, and the lighting was fantastic, I was blown away! The multiplayer is addicting as ever!! This game alone is a reason to own an Xbox 360. A must get game, and my choice for game of the year! You jealous, Sony and CoD fanboys? Yeah, I think you are. Expand
  97. Nov 27, 2012
    At first i was unsure about purchasing this game because of the many negative and few positive User reviews i've seen, but after watching gameplay i decided that Halo 4 was for me. After playing almost entirely through the campaign and over 5 hours of online multiplayer, i can certainly say that 343 Studios has succeeded in the creation of such a memorable and time consuming game. The campaign brought back the master chief in the the most epic fashion possible. The campaign is very fun and quite a challenge at times as well, it creates a perfect balance of challenge, gameplay, and story to generate what seems to be the most memorable of all the Halo campaigns. The multiplayer is fantastic, unlocking weapons, armor, and emblems is only half the game, but working towards unlocking these things gives a great sense of achievement, the multiplayer makes me feel like i'm playing the Halo we all love and remember, it makes me forget about how much i disliked Halo: Reach, and gives me that fantastic feeling that previous Halo titles have always given me. I have complete respect for 343 studios for being able to replicate and improve the Halo universe, and for that i give them props. If you have yet to find a great FPS, look no further, Halo 4 is here. Expand
  98. Nov 11, 2012
    Halo 4 is probably the best game of 2012. With a totally enhanced gameplay and beautiful graphics, Master Chief returns to the world of gaming at its best.

- Visual: 10.0
      - Gameplay: 9.8
      - History: 10.0
      - Audio: 9.8
      - Fun: 10.0

- Final Rating: 10.0
  99. Mar 13, 2014
    Two things up front. Firstly I’m a long-term Halo fan, having played all the games from the beginning -- not some PS3 fanboy. Secondly, both positive and negative User reviews on this site have been grossly over-exaggerated for dubious reasons. Let’s be realistic folks, few games deserve a zero and no game is worthy of a 10 because no game is perfect!

I had high hopes for Halo 4 after
    the superb job that 343i did in revamping the original Halo. Perhaps they should have stuck to polishing other people’s games for a while because, sadly, they don’t seem to have the finesse (yet) to create an admirable game from scratch. When I first read the Quarter to Three review by Tom Chick in the Critic section, I felt it was a bit harsh but after playing Halo 4 for myself, I now consider it a tactful understatement.

As far as I’m concerned, the only real improvements in Halo 4 are the more realistic sound effects and cut scenes. Clearly these two elements are a cut above previous Halo games but just about everything else is a backward step and second-rate for a AAA title. For all the hype from 343i about the game being a labor of love, there is a shocking lack of attention to detail not found in Bungie’s instalments. But of course, most fans won’t be prepared to admit that because a successful continuation of the series means so much to them. It’s an emotional investment – sort of like staying with a bad lover for old time’s sake.

As others have stated, the Halo 4 story is boring and manipulative with unsympathetic characters and repetitive scenarios. Somehow, it also manages to be confusing and cliche-ridden at the same time – just what you don’t want in a game, particularly a FPS. (Unless it’s satire and this isn’t – it’s overblown seriousness).

The superlatives being lavished on the graphics by many reviewers are way over the top. For me, good graphics are in the details and many in Halo 4 are noticeably absent. Gone, for example, is the superb purple and bronze pattern detail previously found in Covenant hardware. Some of the alien architecture may look impressive but the backgrounds are often foggy and indistinct. A close inspection of outdoor environments and objects reveals nothing but jagged, blocky and/or blurred textures. Those representing the terrain are muddy and ugly while foliage and fire look like they were rendered in a primary school art class! Decals (projectile damage) look nice but are inconsistent, appearing only on certain surfaces and sometimes they look sharper than those surfaces themselves, which is ludicrous. A useful graphics comparison can be found in some of the beautifully detailed weapons and environments of the Serious Sam HD games and they were made by a much smaller company on a fraction of the budget!

Another aspect where Halo 4 falls short is the AI. For example, at the beginning of the Campaign chapter, Size Matters, I experienced a fellow Spartan continually running into a rock face. Belting him with a melee attack had absolutely no effect on his mindless course of action so I eventually threw a grenade at him and he jet-packed to the adjacent Mammoth. That glaring faults this basic were allowed through to the final build of a multi-million dollar project is an absolute disgrace and demonstrates a distinct lack of respect for the fan base! In addition, the beloved Covenant species have had many of their personality attributes that made them so interesting to fight, reduced or removed altogether. They now share the stage with generic new enemies which are highly reminiscent of those from other games. Anyone else notice a resemblance between the Promethean Watchers and Crawlers of Halo 4, and the Icarus and Parasite creatures from Quake 2? Or the Promethean Knight and the Bloodletter Daemon from Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine? The appearance and behaviour of these pairs is strikingly similar!

Enough has been said about the multiplayer aspect by others – obviously a blatant blending of COD features to draw in that crowd. Firefight is sorely missed and Spartan Ops is a thinly-veiled attempt to increase Gold account sales on Xbox Live.

Other major gripes include: the extremely bland game menus (hate the floating debris image), limited brightness control, rigid corpses, clipping, minor objects that can’t be damaged, invisible walls, and VERY weak grenades.

I give Halo 4 a score of 5 for retaining a semblance of the enjoyable core combat of the series but if there’s genuine pride in the making of this game, it’s hard to detect from the final result. Perhaps it’s a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth" but it smells more like a money tree to me.

NOTE: This review was initially posted in Nov. 2012 but somehow it was deleted from Metacritic so I've had to resubmit it.
  100. Jul 5, 2014
    As an enormous fan of the original Halo, it's difficult to express my disappointment with how this series has been humped into mediocrity. The game-play itself is alright, nothing astounding, and the graphics are really quite impressive. My issues come from the story. I could have come up with a more compelling story with better dialogue, and that's not talking myself up as much as it's putting 343 Studios down. The Didact is a miserable villain, and his goons are bland / annoying along with their weapons. Bah I say. Expand
  101. Dec 13, 2012