6.9

1. Apr 25, 2013
    I am a very big halo fan and let me tell you this game has passed all my expectation the graphics for this game are beautiful The story is about 8 hours for the average player Some people are giving this game negative reviews maybe its because of the new intro of amour ability Don't allow other players thought about this game change your thought about this I gave this gamer a ten of ten for the soul reason the story blows my mind People can say no game is perfect but this game is worth every penny Its a must buy for me Expand
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    I am not a really big fan of the halo series, but I feel that 343 industries has taken the game to a new level, since I really believe the series needed to take a step forward. I feel that the single player could have been put more effort into, but other than that, the multiplayer is great, and it is the one aspect that kept me from giving it a mixed score.

I suggest that people should
    wait a little bit until the prices decrease a little bit, so lots of people can have the same amount of fun for a low cost. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    theres nothing i can say that hasn't been said already been said. the multi-player works flawlessly, you never have bull moments, ever. if you die its you're fault, not the games, as in for example gears of war.
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    I expected a lot more. You can't just shine a person that was so hyped with new guns and fancy armor and expect them to smile. The story of Halo 4 was a disappointment with the ending experience, I would of just skipped the campaign and wen't straight to multiplayer where the real fun begins. For a person who has played the other Halos, Halo 4s multiplayer doesn't feel like Halo anymore. It's not based on skill often, It's based on who gets the bigger weapon the fastest and kills the most people with it. Though some times multiplayer could be a blast in war games with exciting explosions and rapid fire fights, Mostly if you die, It's your fault. Spartan Ops feels like a filler and the moment I tried it it didn't receive to be much fun, I deleted it afterwards because you have to download it when it should be in the CD. I'm not sure about this one, i'm better off playing Halo 3 because FORGE was 10 times better. I can barely get any fun custom games with Halo 4 because the ability to make maps in FORGE can be more stressful than playing Dark Souls. Even though the chief is back. Is Halo Back? Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    343 has definitly taken care of microsofts baby.They followed bungies system and expanded on it to make it there own. The story is the best part of the game though by making smaller and more personal, this is cortonas story just as much as it is chiefs, and lets face it shes just as important as chief with out her chief wouldn't survive
  6. Jun 12, 2013
    Halo 4 was a great game I really enjoyed it but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be but I had a really good time playing this game solo or with friends but preferably with friends on the campaign on legendary. But some parts I didn't really enjoy like the DLC which was really awful, in my mind the default maps were a lot better but I still had a great time.
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    Do YOU love Call of Duty? Do YOU paly Halo? Well, then 343 has news for YOU! Call of Duty: Master Chief! Congratulations 343, you successfully took the best of two worlds, and FAILED to combine them. Wow. The story is mediocre, very much a Deus Ex Machina. The Spartan Ops are fun, but hey, we're only giving you 10, wait till Halo 5 comes out. Ok. The Multiplayer is seriously unbalanced, even with the "new" CSR. Which is BS. The group I play with CONSISTENTLY STILL gets put with players who are either pushovers or MLG bosses. WTF. Balance means EVEN 343, not screw with it till folks give up. Personal Ordnance has a lot to do with this, as you may get rockets in a map and the enemy just sees 'nades. Great plan. OR you get on games like Valhalla and all and the other team ALL pulls Snipes/Beams whilst YOUR team gets Needlers/Shotties. Ok. Smart. If you're going to COPY CoD, at least let US choose our ordnance! Personal loadouts are another big BS thing. Hey new kid, you get any points to level up? No? Ok, enjoy your Assault Rifle while I Stealth Active Camo Plas Nade and DMR you. Really 343? If you continue this crap into Halo 5, expect me to NOT buy it, or any other product you make. Expand
  8. May 2, 2013
    "Halo 4: the epic start of the reclaimer saga" I'm thinking they have lost their zest throughout the games. its a good game, don't get me wrong, but the campaign is a little to repetitive, and (for once) Master Cheif seems a little under powered. That, or the enemies are over powered. I recall having to do the same thing over and over again, multiple times. Kind of defeated the purpose of a FPS game: to kill the enemies and then move! however, multiplayer is great! They often add new game types and the suit customization is great! the specializations aren't anything special, and you need to be something around lvl. 60 (i think) to unlock them. Spartan ops are fun, but, like the campaign, get boring after a little while.

I would also recommend CoD games (even though you probably already have them)
  9. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    A game that is incredibly outstanding and exciting.Killing aliens and more more is very fun.I don't get it why it has a mixed review in the users.This should be high review,It is an excellent game.I am telling you guys go buy this or download this now and try playing It.It will be worth your time.
  10. May 28, 2013
    I come from Gears Of War, Epic games, UT etc. Halo 4 is my 1st Halo, I dont play campaigns except for Gears, so my rating only goes for MP, Multiplayer bored me already and I just started playing it, People spamming weapons with no skill what so ever, COD is better and thats a joke also. Gears of War Judgement is the biggest joke though, hence me trying out Halo. We are all in the same boat, originality is a thing of the past now days in gaming,
    They all just rehash off each other.
  11. May 12, 2013
    343 are armatures they have never made a AAA game yet, and it is something that still needs ticking off their 'To Do' list. Matchmaking (ignoring all the gimmicks and broken mechanics) is a laggy mess! It is broken simple as that. They sold me a game that does not work. Campaign Pathetic Patronising button push sequences stolen from CoD Why? Whole levels based around pushing a button at the end of a map and then going back to the start.
    A Boss you don't fight.
    Stupid enemy AI new Prometheans have no tactical manoeuvres like the covenant.

Online population has seen a massive drop which makes finding a MM game even more difficult!

Avoid this game!

Destiny Awaits!
  12. May 11, 2013
    Possibly one of the best games i have ever played!
    Should be much higher than 6.9
    Enjoyable and rewarding combat
    great story
    Great Multiplayer and modes
    What is not to love!
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    Pretty disappointing. The single player is boring to play through and the multiplayer just isn't as good as 2, 3, or Reach's multiplayer. Graphics are ok, but that doesn't make a game FUN to play. Btw, the end boss fight is a complete cop out and just plain sucks. Its just a slightly interactive cut scene.
  14. May 16, 2013
    Lets be honest, although the campaign was fun up until the last few levels, the narrative was absolutely bollocks. The story was as vanilla as it could get. Thankfully multiplayer makes up for that. The combat isn't traditionally what you would find in a Halo game, but it is a fun experience none the less. It is a pity that only a third of the maps are utilized in multiplayer and even then some playlists a plagued with garbage community forge maps. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    Halo 4 was an easy GOTY 2012. It lived beyond its expectations by bringing a spectacular campaign and a briallantly envigerated multiplayer. The multiplayer features great maps, far superior to the color pallet in Halo Reach, the design exceded as well in these maps. Halo has given custumizeble abilities
    but manages to inovate beyond cod in this but STILL manages to keep the game balanced
    and fun. Forge is great but in my opinion not quite in the glory of Reach. Still the matchmaking exceeds byond any halo except Halo 3 (I dont own an origonal xbox, but have played and loved the first 2 halos.).
    The campaign also brings the best pacing shown in the halo series. The new enemies are great, possibly better than the covenant, but the falcon, revents, drones, and skirmishers (halo reach) are sorely missed But you do take the control of a pelican. My only issue with the campaign was its end, as it brought simple gameplay. Even so the cinematics and story were moving, making me forgive as the very end still delivered. Spartan Ops, another feature of the game, doesnt live up to be as good as firefight, but as there are 50 missions and I will tell many are good. They are not all good, but there is something for everyone. In my opinion, spartan ops is like a jumbe of missions given as a bonus and 343 tells you "here you go, 50 missions, have fun." And you do as spartan ops is great fun with some friends and the generous spawn system allows it to be easy to complete (but not easy in the sense of not dying as the combat's difficulty is on par with the campaign.) In all, Halo 4 comes to be one of the best Halos as a great addition to the franchise and stands as a breath of life into the franchise, bringing
    innovations that shows that Halo is still the king. 10 out of 10/ 9.5 out of 10.
  16. May 23, 2013
    343 butchered the hell out of a great franchise. This game is basically Call of Duty with the Halo atmosphere. You can call in ordinance from kill streaks(Call of Duty), custom classes with perks to choose from(Call of Duty), get put into games that have already started(Call of Duty). The community is just as bad as the game mechanics. You will find many people who abuse perks like active camo and promethean vision and truly ruin the entire match. The ghost is severely overpowered, you can't join a single game that doesn't have kids spamming the ghost plasma shot(which does way to much damage). The maps are horrendous. You will end up playing Exile over and over again and watch as your teammates race to the Gaus-Hog and destroy it when they don't get it every damn match. Terrible game, terrible community, don't buy this and wait for Bungie's new game. Expand
  17. Jun 5, 2013
    might not be as good as it's predecessor but it doesn't fall to far from the tree, although wish it had off been a few hours longer, the games soundtrack gameplay graphics are all spectacular, I did find the story a bit dry but I was just glad to revisit the halo universe again and play as the chief
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    It's not that bad if you don't think of it as a Halo sequel as the story itself was a bit cheesy and unoriginal, and has several repetitive tasks. As for the multiplayer they took all originality away trying to make it more of a CoD style multiplayer. (eg: load outs /w unlock-able guns and equipment, and kill streaks) Not much replay value for me as I didn't like the campaign in the first place.
  19. May 23, 2013
    Firstly, I want to say I LOVE the Halo universe. My brother and I spent many hours playing the first one and it holds a special place in my heart and on my shelf.... That being said, WHAT THE EFF DID THEY DO TO CORTANA?!?!!? OMG! I can't get over it! She went from being a serious side kick with a touch of sexy to just plain dumb, in all sense of the word. I didn't care about her at all in this game. Give me back H3's Cortana!
    They gave her bigger, droopier boobs, more curves and to top it all off, a giant gap toothed grin that just refuses to stay behind her botoxed lips that constantly hang open. ok rant over. Back to the real stuff.
    I am very torn with this game. I want to love it because it's more Halo, more John FORERUNNERS!!; but at the same time, it's bad. You have a busted AI, hopping around this giant "installation" you just found and she's acting like she's the one who built it. I really felt like this was just a game of running around jamming a rampant AI into random holes and just going along for the ride. Turn this off! Go here! Blow that up! Oh, that's the Diadact!... wtf? And did I miss something? Because I thought that the Covenant were no longer against us...Or even a cohesive group since the Prophet's were overthrown.

Now the Multiplayer. I could be wrong on some counts, I didn't play online since H2 but I much preferred being joined with people roughly my lvl. Not a party of 3 high levels all on the same team, meanwhile me and my last picked losers get utterly obliterated when they finally make full teams and decide to give the good guys, even better ones. Only other complaint is the Theatre. CoD Bo2 keeps several if not all of your games for you to watch and rewatch. It even gives a neat little option where you can see through walls and watch the enemy come to you from afar. I get stuck with only my most recent game and there are not many options for me to choose from to take screens. Which also means I have to back out of que if I had a particularly kick ass game I want to screen before playing again. Frustrating.
    Of course, it's got great sound and graphics, the extras are nice (Spartan Ops), and... it's more Halo, but not really in the direction I was hoping for.
  20. May 25, 2013
    This is definitely the Halo game I was waiting for! I was disappointed with Halo 3, but found some enjoyment in the prequels: Halo Reach, Halo Wars, and Halo 3 ODST. However, Halo 4 will never be better than Halo 2!
  21. May 25, 2013
    With Halo 4, sound design and graphics really shine. Combat controls are still extremely good, tight, and feel that they're controlled by you. Fans of single player and multiplayer will be very pleased with this installment, but should Halo have just been left to die? The story is fast paced with its combat, dramatic with the story itself, beautiful in its presentation, and well paced. Levels don't get stale or repetitive, and the classic Halo enemies are a joy to fight, and the new Prometheans are absolutely terrifying (impossible on Legendary). On the multiplayer side, it is both equally intense and rewarding. You still have the same old-same old FPS leveling up system and the basics of each match, even with an objective, is just shoot people until the match is over. Armor customization options like helmets and chest plates look cool, but are generally pointless other then identity purposes. However, the combat and game modes are addicting and offer a couple of new things to be seen. Forge, the number one draw for me, was lackluster and extravagant at the same time. Forge specific maps are tiny and seem rushed, and the objects are just reskined versions of Halo: Reach and Halo 3. Overall, Halo 4 was exciting, beautiful, and somewhat disappointing. Expand
  22. May 26, 2013
    I thought long and hard about giving this game a lower score because of 343's blatant destruction of my absolute favorite game series, but I was objective. By category, here is how I review this game:

Graphics/Sound: Excellent. I was skeptical about O'Donnell not doing the score, but Davidge did it justice. The graphics update was a nice touch, and this Halo is easily the best looking.

Campaign: Decent. I would not go so far as to say it was good, but it was serviceable. It continued the story of the most beloved franchise character, and added a touch of humanity to MC as well. Didact was very forgettable as a villain, and he hardly seemed present throughout the game. The storyline with Cortana was so-so, decent but predictable.

Multiplayer: Bad. This is what the Halo franchise is known for, and 343 REALLY dropped the ball. First of all, they had no beta, which is a huge mistake. This predictably led to balancing issues with weapons and load outs, bad hopper composition, and a very poor selection of maps to accompany the hoppers. Second, the game launched with no competitive ranking system. This was highly criticized with Reach, and yet they repeated the same mistake. When they finally did institute it, they mad it only visible on Waypoint, did not take into account any previously accumulated stats, and used a very bad and watered down rating system that is NOT Truskill (previously used in H3). Third, the map selection at launch was terrible. I know I glazed over this in the beta bit, but 8 maps at launch is not good. To compound the problem, the maps did not compliment the launched hoppers. There were very few small sized, arena type maps for Team Slayer, and the composition forced people to play Big Team. The need to launch a DLC just 1-2 months after launch shows that the needed content did not ship with the game. Fourth, the game hoppers at launch were lacking. There was no Team Snipers, no Griffball, Slayer Pro was taken down after a few weeks, and King Of The Hill was removed shortly thereafter. The choices were basically Team Slayer, or Big Team. Fifth, 343 allowed the king of competitive shooters to be dropped by the MLG. This was a serious mistake, and showed their intentions of moving away from a part of their fan base, which happened to be the most loyal and enduring of their followers.

In summary, this game is in fact COD: Master Chief Edition. By alienating their core audience, 343 has all but eliminated multiplayer. At launch, the game boasted around 450,000 players in multiplayer during peak hours. At current time, the highest population for a current day is around 40,000. Currently, H4 ranks 5th in XBL player activity behind BO2, Minecraft, FIFA, and MW3. This game is less popular than a COD game that was released 1.5 years ago, and is widely considered to be the worst COD entry. I feel that a small bit of emotion is warranted, and I can only describe it as betrayal. I would pick this game up used in the bargain bin, but cannot justify anyone paying full price for it. I will certainly think long and hard before grabbing another 343 game, but by the time Destiny comes out, I doubt I will even think about Halo any longer.
  23. May 28, 2013
    I remember playing Reach with my friends all the time on the XBox, it was like i was glued to the screen. I must have put at least 100 hours into that game and it never got boring. Halo 4 on the other hand, whilst not a bad game per say, had me turning off my console after only a few hours of gameplay and not coming back to it for weeks. Disappointing.
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    Count me in the minority on this one. I don't know if it's because I was used to the greatness of the Bungie Halo games or what, but I was severely disappointed in Halo 4. It didn't have firefight. The multiplayer is full of glitches. The story is pathetically mundane. And the spec ops missions were the most boring, repetitive things ever. This list of annoyances goes on and on.

I will
    say the cutscenes had probably the best graphics I've ever seen. And the game overall is a slightly entertaining diversion. But the fact I traded it back in way earlier than all the other Halo games I've owned speaks for itself. Expand
  25. Jun 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game one a steaming pile of Not only did they take what was good with the halo series and absolutely destroy it, they also decided that call of duty was a good game style to jack. Literally call of halo. Call of duty is the poster child for over-used garbage, and 343 decided to the out of it. The story is beyond trash, plot holes everywhere, and the ending is a joke! Since when can an AI produce a shield to block a nuclear explosion? If so, WHY THE DO YOU EVER DIE IN THE CAMPAIGN? Why did cortana hold that back during the entire game. 343, do me a favor, go bankrupt, then kill yourselves. Expand
  26. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have every single Halo game, and this is the most polished as far as graphics and multiplayer inclusions go (except for the maps). The campaign continues to add a new story path but the gameplay is very very similar to all the other Halo games which is starting to mount now. The online Spartan Ops replaces firefight with similar type point to point mission sets needing to kill approximately around 100 various enemy combinations between point activations through each mission. These 50 mission sets (spanning 10 chapters) can be measured up with firefight as an alternative where time taken with death count, difficulty setting andoverall enemy kill score can be stacked/scored, but to me it felt more repetetive than challenging. The last 2 chapters were a grind (10 missions) but perhaps it would be more challenging if I went through them in heroic or legendary, as I did it in normal difficulty. I recently returned to the campaign on above normal, and the challenge is coming out now which will make the game last well and strong until Halo 5 on the new XBox One! Going through the campaign the second time now on the higher difficulty (legendary), I am picking up on the story better where Spartan Ops and even the TV series Forward unto Dawn has some very good linkages. Lastly, the upgrade system has improved from Reach with achievement inclusions with Halo Waypoint which points the way to Halo 5 on the new XBox One being even better with a TV series inclusion. Overall, Halo 4 is a good continuance, improvement and add on, though the gameplay is starting to wear thinner over time. Gameplay inclusions are better with capture the flag, weapon strengths, ordinance drops even though the maps are not as good. I want to give the game a 9, but give it an 8 because I liked the fact that firefight on previous Halo games allowed for 2 player split screen action without needing a second xbox live subscription, so it is missing that with Spartan Ops as a replacement. Had to pull my score down to 8 because this is a concerning detractor. Expand
  27. Jun 19, 2013
    I enjoyed my time with Halo 4. The campaign was good but way too short, and i really enjoyed spartan ops with my coop partner. I would recommend it to people but me personally I am a bit tired of FPS games. It's a lot of better than Cod.
  28. Jun 19, 2013
    Halo has always been one of my favorite series. I played Halo 2 when I was 4 years old, and as a 14-year old I'm completely emerged into the lore and action of the games, books, and soon to be show. Halo 3 was my all time favorite as I would spend whole days just enjoying custom games or multiplayer. Then Halo: Reach came along. While not as good as its predecessor, it provided a compelling forge experience and brought along my favorite Halo game mode, Invasion. Then came Halo 4. Halo 4 provides a decent game experience, but does not rock the charts like 3 and Reach.

The campaign was weak, definetly the weakest part of the game. It lacked level design, a soundtrack, and story at that. I would give the campaign a solid 4.

Multiplayer was decent. The maps were OK. The weapons and ordnance ideas were actually pretty cool, but the lack of playlists is saddening. Overall, I ended up going back to Reach after a while (it had more players, what about that?) Multiplayer 6.

The graphics were outstanding and made a beautiful, rich, and enhanced game. 10

Lastly, Spartan Ops took up most of my time. I frankly enjoyed these small levels way more than the campaign. They were fun and had the whole "just kill things" mist with a side of objective. However, the lack of maps made for repetitive gameplay. Misc. 8

OVERALL (not based on averages), Halo 4 is good with a 6, but 3 or Reach is better.
  29. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm a bit late to review the game. But I was hyped for this game from the day it was announced to the day it launched. The multiplayer is unbalanced and disappointing. It's a CoD mirror. The population has died so fast. Spartan Ops is recycled regions of the campaign (for the most part.) It also has very cheesy and bad voice acting. Most of the custom games options were removed. Forge has no good maps. Campaign was the only good element. I don' recommend this game unless you're a campaign guy. Expand
  30. Jun 11, 2013
    lets be honest with each other franchises at the moment are really milking it. This is one of them there is nothing in this game that stood out as a major innovation. Its just Halo that's it, remember when you played halo 3 well don't get halo 4 because you already played it I love halo i was a great franchise and it had a few spin offs that i also enjoyed. But there's nothing here i haven't seen before in other Halo games. What happened in the campaign besides cortarna getting p**sed off at people and i know people will say well bungie didn't make it no and that's probably why it wasn't anywhere near as good as past Halo games. Technically there's nothing wrong with the game. you get the odd glitch here and there but nothing new to the Halo series. The only draw here is multiplayer but it not even changed enough from the last game to make it OK to spend £40 on it. All i see with this game is a way for franchises that developers know people will buy becoming a way to make a quick buck. Expand
  31. Jun 11, 2013
    Halo 4 is an awesome game. 343's first original attempt at creating a Halo game has succeeded. However the downsides are that they made flood too diluted compared to Halo: Reach and that Forge Maps don't have enough space.
    Concept: 8/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Playability: 9/10
    Entertainment: 10/10
    Total Score: 9/10
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    Like Call of duty and halo 3 had a baby. Not as retarded as Halo Reach. Halo 4 is a decent enough game. Campaign is interesting but no where up to par of the first three halos. Bottom line if u disliked halo reach you'll have similar feelings to this game. MP is too much like cod now. I just wanted a halo game, not a hybrid of cod.
  33. Jun 21, 2013
    I can tell that most people who gave it a low score either haven't played or are PS3 fanboys. Halo 4 is a great game, probably my second favorite Halo. The story is really good this time around, as it is ending. Combat: Brilliant. Challenge: Sorta. Story: Amazing. Visuals: The best looking exclusive yet for any console yet. Multiplayer: Refined and polished down to every pixel. 9/10 for the challenge factor. Expand
  34. Jun 17, 2013
    I don't get the big whoopdy do about how this game is the same as the others, so is every CoD and Assassins creed game. This game takes what the old one does and recreates it with better graphics and a new story. Whilst the story isnt as good as the rest of the series, the multiplayer is fun and spartan ops is awesome. I just wish playstation fan boys would stop giving this game 0 out of 10 or 1 out of 10 Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2013
    Halo 4 is living proof that the Halo series made so famous by Bungie is in good hands with 343. 343 also went on to prove that it's possible to change a game series for the better as opposed to Call of Duty and the Ezio story of Assassin's Creed.

36. Aug 20, 2013
    when I first started to play halo 4 I was not so happy it looked bad back in 2011. When it came out it looked fantastic I played it and had lots of fun. There is one thing that the critics need to be focusing on is the lack of ranking and custom game options that seemed to be a major thing that came into the game.
  37. Jun 24, 2013
    I just want to get this out of the way. Halo 4 is still halo. 343 maybe didn't make as good of a halo has bungie did, but it is still fun, and more importantly, still halo. 343 didn't break it. They didn't ruin it.

First of all, the game is absolutely gorgeous. Even pissed halo fanboys cant deny that. The gunplay is very good, with new enemies as well as returning ones. The sound is
    very good. I wish they would have kept some of the old halo tracks, but the new music is still good.

The campaign is pretty good, but not amazing. It is relatively long, about 8-10 hours depending on difficulty. The story is much more personal, and is very well done and written. A great campaign.

The forge is well done, with many new additions and features to make it easier. My only complaint is the maps, but they are still decent. The maps aren't as good as past halos.

Multiplayer is solid, but not as great as past halos. Something about it made me stop coming back. I don't know whether its custom classes, instant respawn, etc. Its still fun, but not as good. The maps are good, but again, not as good as past halos.

There seems to be a recurring theme here. Its just not as good as past halo's. Perhaps bungie is just better. I just stopped coming back to it after a while. It still is, however, a great game that all halo fans should try.
  38. Jun 24, 2013
    I really like this game, because of the campaign and the great multiplayer, also have a really good soundtrack and the best xbox 360 graphics of the year. i dont understand why too many people dislike this game
  39. Jun 30, 2013
    Amazing game. In my opinion the best campaign since the original. Not much else to say other than if you're a FPS fan and own a 360 GET THIS GAME. It has a great compelling story, awesome skill based gameplay and what I can only describe as the best graphics of any console game I've seen yet..
  40. Jul 10, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Fresh and Crisp! The graphics blew my mind, they were as good as Rage. Combat was tight and satisfying. Multiplayer was perfected as it never had been before. My only complaint would be the story, some spots the story progression was a little unclear. Other than that I immensely enjoyed it. Plus with the story continuation with the Spartan Ops it makes for a game you keep picking up! Expand
  41. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the multiplayer, but i want more game modes to the multiplayer and custom game. The campaign is okay but it would be better if it were 1 more difficulty, like super-legendary so it could be harder to play the campaign, but all the other halos only have those other like halo 4 too. The maps is awesome, and the weapons are awesome... It's a nine from me! Awesome Game Expand
  42. Jul 9, 2013
    Good for a generic FPS but bad for a halo title. Campaign was short and boring. Enemies are cheap and boring. Its only kinda fun at best. If you really want it get it cheap.
  43. Jul 9, 2013
    I played halo since halo 2 and so yes, i was greatly looking forward to a new halo game. Campaign had fun gameplay but boring and almost cheesy/corny storytelling. Like some 7 year old was making it up. The graphics were amazing. The multiplayer didnt come close to previous halo's skill and past time. It was like they added perks and ordnance drops to make it noob friendly for cod players. Forge had no maps worthy of playing on. Overall, this game did not at any way shape or form, live up to its predecessors. This was not halo, but a cheap mix of cod and halo. I am sure hardcore halo fans like myself will agree to my thoughts. Expand
  44. May 30, 2014
    I am so angry about what 343 did to Halo, i was never a big Halo fan but i did find Halo 3 fun and Reach, but this just says "F**k you guys, were going to ruin your precious franchise", the game has the worst campaign i have ever played, a terrible online with only 1 minute of fun.

Overall = 1.8/10, The game which should be known as E.T of 2012
    Winner of Multiple Awards for me:
    Worst
    Game of 2012
    Worst Xbox 360 Shooter of 2012
    Most Disappointing Game of 2012
    Worst Campaign of 2012
  45. Jul 14, 2013
    I have to give this game a 8/10 because it IS good game play, graphics and game style but sadly there are some bugs in the games sometimes that did not get fixed but other than that it's a good game.
  46. Jul 15, 2013
    Good game, but the campaign was way to short. Its 5 hours! It would be okay if the multiplayer had a little more longevity. I really do miss bungie. Halo doesn't feel the same.
  47. Dec 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo is Microsoft's best first party series and each game in the series is fun and amazing in story, characters, and gameplay, but Halo 4 feels like a step down from the rest in the series. The campaign is short and forgettable. Halo 4 takes places four years after Halo 3 and the covenant are at war with UNSC (a,k,a earth). You play as Master Chief (John 117) again and plays the same as in the past games, but now he can sprint without a power up like in Halo Reach. The graphics look amazing for the Xbox 360 and the sound effects are great. The campaign would take about five or six hours to complete based on how high the setting is. The multiplayer is better than ever with custom classes and better map design, but there is a catch to it. You see you have to download the multiplayer off a disc, which comes included or download it from the Xbox live market for free and also the Spartan Ops and forge. In the end Halo 4 was a disappointment to me and I wish 343 Industries will get it right in the new Halo for the Xbox One or it will become a disappointment you don't want to do that. Expand
  48. Jul 23, 2013
    Graphics and audio are outstanding as is to be expected from a Halo game. It definitely felt like 343 tried to get back to the Bungie Halo 3 gameplay, but it wasn't quite there yet. Nevertheless, the campaign definitely tried to get away from Master Chief being a silent, almost robotic soldier and tried to give him more of a personality. This was a bit awkward at some points especially as Cortana goes crazy, but at other points, it was a welcome change. The end of the campaign was not totally satisfying much like it was in Halo 2 where you felt like you resolved something, but at the same time, there is a lot more to the story. Aside from the story, the introduction of the Prometheans as well as their new weapons and strategy adds a welcome relief from fighting the Covenant (and it was never really explained why we were fighting the covenant again you had to research it if you didn't follow the non-game story).

The multiplayer is a lot like previous Halo games. The difference is in the Co-Op multiplayer which replaced firefight with Spartan ops. Spartan Ops are basically co-op mini-missions that are released 5 at a time. These take the essence of firefight (killing lots of enemies with friends) and giving it it's own story that takes place 6 months after the campaign, and different objectives and settings. Also, Forge mode was improved with things like magnets to help objects line up, but initial launch had no forge world map (one was released at a later date).

Graphics: 10
    Audio: 10
    Story/Campaign: 8.5
    Multiplayer: 9
    Gameplay/UI/HUD: 9
  49. Jul 28, 2013
    I am a big 'Halo' fan, some people have even called me a fan-boy! In anticipation of the release of 'Halo 4' I pre-ordered a my copy of the limited edition of 'Halo 4.' Expectations: When I first received my copy of 'Halo 4' I went in with high expectations, but this would prove a massive problem as I went in with the expectations of a 'Halo' game. Scores: Graphics: 9/10 Campaign: 6/10
    Soundtrack: 8/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Multiplayer: 2/10
    Final Score: 6.4/10

Final Verdict: This game is good by the standards of a generic FPS, but 'Halo' is not just some other generic FPS it's full of epic moments in the game's campaign and full of the most enjoyable multiplayer, which still needs a good calibre of skill to do well in multiplayer. This is just some the points where 'Halo 4' falls flat sure it's graphics are great but that doesn't make a good game, the multiplayer is despicable by standards set by previous 'Halo' games. Also the soundtrack in this game may be good, but ypu will never be able to beat the original trilogy's signature soundtrack as you race into fight a scarab. Gameplay is decent but lacks that "Halo feel" the default sprinting detracts from the whole experience, the campaign also fell a bit flat after the first 2 missions.
  50. May 9, 2014
    A breath of fresh air. Like REACH was to its predecessors. Simply the best looking and playing game i have experienced since probably Final Fantasy 7 on PS1. Better looking than Crysis 3. It will put a grin on your face. Elating/ emotional
  51. Aug 5, 2013
    Halo 4, to start off with, looks amazing. It has, by far, some of the greatest graphics of all time, breaking the boundaries of human likeness. Even the in-game graphics look spectacular, feeling like cutscenes that never end. The gameplay is also really good; I really enjoyed the new helmet perspective that, like the graphics, really developed the atmosphere and world around me. The weapons weren't too overpowered, no-one had too much of an advantage and the multiplayer was a really fun experience, however, these were the only good prospects. Halo 4's campaign was just boring, basically just playing out as cutscene, rush of monsters, cutscene, rush of monsters. Because of this the story just wasn't engaging, and I spent most of my time killing the same things over and over again. The multiplayer mode was really unfair thanks to the new random-spawning, with people spawning right in the centre of an enemy base. Overall, Halo 4 was really disappointing thanks to the hype brought up by Microsoft, and it didn't live up to the expectations Halo 3 and Halo Reach brought to the table. The graphics and gameplay are the only things that rescued this game from an under-5 score and I really hope the next Halo game does a lot better. Expand
  52. Aug 6, 2013
    retsdtfyghkjl;fgdhjkl;fghbjknm,rdtfghjkl;drtfghjklm;,dfrtghbjknml,esrdfghjkersdtbhjnkmesdrfgbhjnkmawdsbhjnwaesrdxcfgvbhjneawftgyhjnkswftbhjnftbhjdrtfgyhuersdftgyhjk
  53. Aug 7, 2013
    Absolutely worst halo game iv'e played I never revisited this game again after 3 days, couldn't even get past the second mission in this game because it's so boring.the multiplayer is alright but you get bored of it way too quick.My advice don't buy this game, it's a waste of your money
  54. Aug 16, 2013
    Best graphics I have ever seen in a game, fun and thrilling campaign, and the new aspects of multiplayer add a lot of new mechanics and ways to play it.
  55. Aug 17, 2013
    Un très bon jeu quoi qu'on en dise les développeurs ont vraiment bosser dessus et ça se sent
    après il y'a des défauts comme tous les jeu et des choses qui peuvent ne pas plaire aux fans de la licence comme moi mais on les oublis vite vu la qualité du jeu.
  56. Aug 19, 2013
    The story is quite good, it has stellar sound and looks, character development has increased tenfold over it's predecessors, and can be challenging due to decently smart AI. A little on the short side though.

The multiplayer is somewhat derivative and hectic by Halo standards, but stellar by any other measure. (No pun intended)

Verdict: Much better than Halo Reach, but this title
    doesn't live up match the glory days of Halo 3. Expand
  57. Sep 9, 2013
    I have been a long time Halo fan and when I heard this was announced I was very eager to play it. Since it was made by a different developer, I was very skeptical. When I first played it I noticed a few things. The new sounds were excellent especially the weapons. The visuals were great as well. The downside is it did not feel right. Especially in the last mission where it puts you on a rail system like in an arcade-shooter. The story just fell a little short. The multiplier is fun, but the story needed more attention. The menu though! Awful could not stand it. Expand
  58. Aug 28, 2013
    I feel a score of 3/10 is quite generous for this game. As a veteran of the franchise, with Combat Evolved being my introduction, I was extremely disappointed with the mulitplayer of Halo 4. Gone was the core features of Halo gameplay that we all knew and loved: everyone starting equal, battles for the power ups and power weapons, etc. Throwing in sprint to use at anytime, armor abilities, personal ordnance, perks--all that really was off-putting. Add in the fact that there's no ranking system whatsoever (even Reach had Arena) and awful game mechanics leaves you a trash game. All of my friends have quit playing the Halo, so shame on you 343i. You ruined it all. Expand
  59. Aug 31, 2013
    The graphics looks beautiful, It is the best looking game on the Xbox 360. Thought I would mention that first.

However, I wasn't all that pleased with Halo 4, I've been a long time halo fan since Halo: CE. What made the games great was the cut scenes, the soundtrack, the characters and some of the most memorable levels but sadly I just felt Halo 4 did not offer any of that. I am aware
    343 is basically made up of former employee's of Bungie but it just did not feel like a Halo game just because of the things I mentioned. I just felt rather bored of playing through campaign, Nothing got me jumping out of seat when something happened.

For the multiplayer, I dislike it. Mainly because I feel that 343 had an obsession of trying to compete with Call of Duty and trying to bring in a new audience. I for one dislike perks, kill-streak awards and still get awarded even if you're terrible at the game. I just wish that it had the same classic halo style multiplayer that we all love such as Halo 2 or 3 where it was fun but yet challenging at the same time!

Overall, It's not a bad game but it's not that good, Just average. Old school Halo fans will most likely feel disappointed with it
  60. Sep 8, 2013
    Game was awesome, i was extremely suprised on how well it turned out, despite it not being made by bungie. these people knew what they were doing. Story-line is a sequel to halo 3 but it doesnt really expand off of that, it focuses on more personal traits between chief and cortana after all they have been through in the war against the covenant, flood, brutes, and etc... the forerunner npcs ya fight against are not as dull in character as brutes were but provide a good challenge. There isnt much change to the multiplayer feel to it but very slightly. why fix something if it's not broken? and that would have been a make it or break it factor despite everything else if 343 industries changed multiplayer way around. I cant wait til the next halo Expand
  61. Sep 11, 2013
    The campaign was pretty disappointing, but the multiplayer somewhat makes up for it, although it is the worst of the series. But the problem with the entire game is that they messed with the existing formula too much. Basically, the game feels more like a clone than something distinct.
  62. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. Beautiful graphics, spectacular campaign, amazing soundtrack, great multiplayer... Only few negative details, which are probably fixed in Halo Xbox One. I can't understand how all these "real" Halo fans rage here for this being so different. What did you expect? Halo 3 part II? This series has been around for over ten years, so I think everyone should accept the fact that it can't always stay the same. Personally I love this new a bit darker theme. I would rate this 9,5. Expand
  63. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is great, it has the right amount of change that makes the game outstanding! This is the best halo game, and easily has the best multiplayer mode of all time!
  64. Oct 9, 2013
    It's hard to follow up on a success like Halo 3, but Halo 4 has an awesome campaign and the best looking graphics I've ever seen. Halo 4 multiplayer is kind of a downgrade with the elimination of duel-wielding and boring maps, but if you play Halo for the campaign, get Halo 4!!!
  65. Oct 12, 2013
    343 have made the Halo game I wanted from them, enough new that it keeps it fresh but stayed true to what makes Halo, Halo. Its by no means perfect, but its a solid game that had me gripped during the campaign and I cant wait to see where it goes next. After an emotional and satisfying end to the game it reassured me that 343 know what they are doing and Halo is in safe hands. Well done 343, I hope you can continue down this path. Expand
  66. Oct 14, 2013
    Halo 4 is an extremley amazing game that adds many new features,enemies,guns and multiplayer modes. The campaign is a great expirience and it tells a great story through very well done cutscenes. The graphics in Halo 4 are also very stunning. This a must buy for FPS fans.
  67. Oct 14, 2013
    Amazing game. Lots of hours expend in MP, outstanding campaign, and gorgeous. I don't imagine that's graphics on Xbox 360. Must have for 360's owners.
  68. Oct 24, 2013
    This game will be mostly known for a few things. First, it was the first halo game made without bungie. Second, it is considered one of the worst and one of the best by many kind. In my opinion, I hated the matchmaking. They did everything right, I truly felt as if im on the battlefield. The only problem was that it did not draw me in. Whether it was the ranking system that made no sense, or just how it felt to "complicated" (everyone having their own loadouts) it truly didn't appeal to me. The campaign, on the other hand, was what I was looking forward to. The graphics are amazing and I truly enjoyed it. I just didn't like where the storyline went, and it is hard to explain why. It is a truly great game though, but in my mind, I cannot see that fully. Expand
  69. Nov 5, 2013
    For fans of the Halo universe, this is an excellent continuation of Halo's epic story. The graphics are top of the line for 2012. The mechanics are extremely refined and well optimized for combat. Multiplayer offers a variety of game types and maps along with a multitude of weapons. Every weapon has its strengths and weaknesses that can be used for many creative strategies. This game pushes you to be creative in combat and try new ideas. Have fun. I know I did. Expand
  70. Nov 6, 2013
    I have been playing Halo with expertise in Halo: CE (and its Custom Edition), Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Wars and Halo: Reach, with little only in Halo 2. Please do yourself a favor and do NOT buy this game! Do NOT listen to the positive reviews. 343i just killed the multiplayer, "CoD-ifying" it to steal another player-base, while the original player-base was awaiting for something to surpass Halo 3. However, not only did 343i fail in obtaining a CoD-like player-base, but they also managed to lose many loyal fans of Halo. Statistically, Halo 3 still sits at the top of the throne as the best Halo game, with Halo 2 just an inch behind.

Also, I know that Halo: Reach was criticized for its changes in the Halo multiplayer, but at least Bungie did its best by not trying to change the core of Halo. They knew that Reach's model did not work, and if they were still working on Halo I bet you Halo 4 wouldn't have become what it is today. Even Halo: Reach is better than this... game that doesn't even deserve to be called a Halo game.

Just, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.
  71. Nov 8, 2013
    I prefer Halo Reach over Halo 4, but id still play either. For a new developer putting on Bungie's shoes, they did a good job. The graphics are good but the character models are bland. 8/10 Also worth mentioning, the game still feels like Halo.
  72. Aug 18, 2014
    When mentioning the word Halo in the video game industry is synonymous with excellence. When you make a game and call it "Halo" you are expected to hold that level of excellence. If you are a long time halo fan, like myself, this game deviates too much from the core of what kept us up for ridiculously long late night sessions and hours of unforgettable fun. I understand pressing the edge to try and uncover the next best thing, but you have to maintain the core of what drove the success in the past.

Major Pros:
    Graphcs, the game is art, one of the best looking games ever on the console, hands down. Game makers will soon realize this only gets you so far.

New game types that added some value.

Major Cons:
    Weapon imbalance: No one should ever make a weapon that cannot be used in the game, some of the weapons are virtually useless. Random weapon spawns make for a more exciting experience perhaps, but no one likes to lose because of bad luck.

Custom Classes: Having separate classes can have its advantages, but the proper amount of detail was not given to this feature, you really only needed 1 or two classes that you could use virtually for all situations. If you have a class customization ability, it has to be worthwhile to customize with a lot of USEFUL options. BR or DMR, not much else.

Map designs: One of the best things about past halo titles was the maps. All titles had their memorable maps that fueled the white-knuckle gameplay. This game lacks creative maps designed to facilitate skillful play. It feels like being put into a box half the time to just duke it out. A multitude of skill jumps and shortcuts help with this, and some DLC maps had them but they were lacking throughout.

Sounds: Some of the sounds of the weapons you shoot were less than impressive, when you have only one or two main weapons that are functional, and are being used 70% of the time, make them sound beastly. The BR sounds like a spring trap fill with stones.

Campaign Plot and Dialogue: The dialogue in the very linear story line was kind of embarrassing. I was playing co-op with my friend and could finish the sentences before the characters in the story did. And never make a game ending move with the click of a button....actually making it require skill gives the gamer SO much more satisfaction. A monkey can click a button, and that is what you made me feel like when I beat the campaign.

Overall, this was a VERY average game, you can use it to kill some time and have some fun. However, critically speaking, it doesn't quite hit the mark of high expectations that many have come to expect with its half-hearted attempt at employing a custom class system on poorly designed multiplayer maps and an average campaign.
  73. Nov 11, 2013
    this game rocks a amazing feeling when you play al the fun mods brouht in a playlist Graphics: 10/10 Absolutely gorgeous. Cut scenes are better than Wars. Story: 9.5 Greg Bear definitely had a large part in this. Gameplay: 9.5 Slightly repetitive but it kept me interested throughout. Multiplayer: 9.5 Very, very fun, much better than Reach. Dialogue: 10 Brilliant Writing.
    Soundtrack: 9.5
    Average is above 9.5, so it rounds up to 10.
  74. Nov 13, 2013
    Too Long Didn't Read- do yourself a favor and do not buy this game.
    Halo 4 is hands down one of the most disappointing games ever made. While I cannot explain the number of positive reviews on this website, I beseech you not to buy this game, you will regret it if you do(if you enjoyed Halo 2 and 3).
    Here is a list of the things that are wrong with Halo 4.
    1.The music. This is one of
    the most noticeable changes because Halo 3's music was so good. I would describe it as extremely bland.
    2. The level design.  Levels are simply put, boring.  The enemies aren't placed in places that make it fun to clear them out, the levels are monotonous with the same areas repeating themselves, the vehicle levels aren't fun-a cardinal sin in the Halo universe
    3.  The AI- the only thing the AI does is strafe. Enemies don't come looking for you, they don't really run and hide (unless the hiding space is reached by strafing)
    4.  The story- Halo 4's story is basically incomprehensible
    5. The multiplayer- weapons aren't placed in the maps- you have to wait for random weapon drops to get weapons like sniper rifles or rocket launchers.  The result of this is a map that has no reason to fight over its territory- in Halo 3 you fought over the bits of map that had these weapons placed in them, making battles highly competitive.  The game also doesn't differentiate different levels of skill whereas in Halo 3 if you were up against a skilled player he would take you down pretty fast.
    6.  The vehicles- in multiplayer the vehicles are very easily destroyed or frozen with a plasma pistol making them pretty much pointless for many players.
    7.  Random insertion of QuickTime events- while this is a small issue, the fact these were included in a Halo game shows the creators didn't understand Halo

I hope I've convinced you not to waste your money in this game. Let's hope Destiny is the spiritual sequel to the Halo franchise because Halo 4 essential killed the franchise,
  75. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Graphics are updated compared to Reach but they are still not on par with other best looking console titles. 9.
    Sound: Nice Halo soundtrack, voice acting was good, no complains. 10.
    Gameplay: It feels more accessible, the controls seem to have changed similar to Cod. Although it’s still the Halo flavor, and the online is still competitive and better than other FPS
    shooters. The game adds newer promethean weapons which I had a blast with; it’s a really polished Halo title, and probably the best yet. Biggest disappointment, no boss battles! Also, the gameplay is mainly fun in co-op, solo would need more of a mix up. 8.5.
    Story: The story is much more interesting than any of the previous Halo’s but that’s not saying much. Master Chief is back, new planet, new species, new main boss enemy, but disappointing ending. 8.0.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is worth the purchase, campaign, Spartan ops, and a competitive multiplayer much better than Call of Duty Black Ops 2. 10.
    Overall Score: 9.1 out of 10.
  76. Nov 19, 2013
    Adorei esse jogo. Perfeito na minha opinião. Graficos muito bons e história aprofundada. Nunca imaginei que Halo cresceria tanto. Um jogo indispensável para os amanter da serie e do console Xbox
  77. Nov 18, 2013
    Best looking game of the 7th generation, and a great installment in the Halo saga. 343 Industries really outdid themselves. The story is great! The emotional connection between Chief and Cortana is strong as ever. The enemy is real, and dangerous, and adds to the universe of Halo bunches. If you area a true Halo fan(yes, played all of them, including Wars), or a fan of FPS, you'll love it.
  78. Nov 19, 2013
    Honestly I will give 2 separate ratings... 5 is just kind of a middle ground for the 2.

Lets start with the single player Campaign:

One thing the Halo universe has always provided is a great story and I honestly though this would be a fail of a story coming from 343 industries, especially considering the first thing you see when starting is a big message from them pretty much saying
    "please give us a chance we promise we didn't screw it up, ok so please play and give us great ratings".... So yeah the story was a great direction and if you're familiar with the story then you will see how it kept it real in the universe. However the campaign felt a bit short and legendary difficulty wasn't as hard as the previous titles. The ending with quicktime events was my only disappointment with the campaign because it reminded me too much of how COD MW2's ending with the main villain was. So overall I give the story an 8. fun to play with friends.

Spartan ops.... Its fun, but the name could've been different especially considering COD has "Spec ops".

Now on to multiplayer:

Alot of people want to complain about sprint and loadouts, but you know I actually liked that direction though the loadouts could've had better variety and different stats. The ranking system is poor.. All you got to do is play the game a bunch and not have any skill. MP is very beginner friendly and stays that way rather than giving you a lvl 1-20 type playlist.

Speaking of playlists, do not buy DLC because I did and was a waste of money. I hardly see my DLC in any to no playlists except for the maps wreckage and shatter which suck and would've been better n 4v4 slayer types.

Quickspawn and Killcams really killed that one for me as well. Its like a huge slap in the face to the Halo Community. I feel like 343 took all the lame qualities of COD and watered it down into their own thing rather than coming up with a new innovative way of playing shooters like bungie did. I understand the need for quickspawn in COD, but in halo there is no reason... We have shields that recharge so we don't need quickspawn, plus it doesn't punish wannabe rambos of your team in fact it enables them more.

The forerunner weapons are cool but they need more "zazz" to them because they feel like the A.R. and DMR with forerunner skins on them "whooooooo!!!".

The thing is though for me even though they did all that COD copying and more I still would've enjoyed the MP if the Lag wasn't so god awful. The game is been out for about a lil over a year now and they still haven't fixed it. Also if you want to splitscreen with a friend you're out of luck because you will lag constantly due to frame rate drop. Another poor quality is that if you have 3 of your friends come over with their own TV, 360, and Halo 4 then no matter how well your connection is and all that wubbajub you will have a hard time connecting with all your friends in that house for a match. Trust me been there and its a waste of time.

I give multiplayer a 2 because 343 does not listen to the community nor does is care about splitscreen players and/or people connecting on the same internet to have a "halo party". They really lost touch with what playing multiplayer on this game was built on.

This game dropped online population by 92% in less than a year. That's worse than reach and reach wasn't a bad game at all in fact is way better than this garbage of a multiplayer.

Though I will say the graphics are good.

All I have to say is if 343 truly gave up on its fans on Halo 4 and are only working on Halo 5 then they better get a beta out and listen to all feedback because I don't see anybody getting into the new installment due to new games like "destiny" and "titanfall".

In less than a year the price of this game dropped to about $20 bucks at gamestop if that tells ya anything.

Lag will kill any game and 343 put the icing on the cake with their incompetence to fix it.

Also their "halo waypoint" is a joke. I wouldn't waste time on that site.

343 proved that in 2012 and 2013 they really don't care what you think about the game unless you want to say something like "this game is god"
  79. Nov 21, 2013
    when I first got this game home, I was breathless on its graphics and story, halo 4 is a step up from reach, up to the end of 2013 I still play halo 4 multiplayer this game is meant to last you years, the only problem is I wished it was a longer game, but over all its perfect in my opinion.
  80. Jan 4, 2014
    An all round good game I have thoroughly enjoyed the Campaigns gameplay and really enjoyed the online multiplayer. Highly recommended for any Halo or FPS fan who's mind isn't locked down by the COD effect.
    The graphics are very impressive for a console game making full use of the Xbox 360's ageing hardware and proving what developers can do with practice.
    yes the campaign could have been
    better but it is still great fun, my problems with are the awful storyline which is constantly dragged down further by the pathetic love story between a genetically engineered super soldier armed with the best equipment available and an A.I? Occasionally repetitive level design and mediocre chores that are assigned to you to get you from A to B are fortunately compensated by the other aspects of the game such as enemy A.I, variety and well designed weapons. This is nothing new in the Halo franchise though.
    The online multiplayer has a good variety of maps, objectives, weapons and Vehicles that I have enjoyed for hours and is the main reason I still have my Xbox 360 still set up next to my gaming PC which I use most of the time.
    A good game that deserves acknowledgement especially considering that it wasn't made by the original developers, 343 Industries have proven that their future projects are worth keeping in mind.
  81. Nov 30, 2013
    Definitely lives up to the standard of this franchise. The campaign is intriguing, interesting and engaging as ever; they even correctly referenced the ending of Halo 3 in the beginning of Halo 4. The plot is kind of slow in the beginning, but easily picks up in a little over half an hour, and new weapons and abilities are sprinkled throughout. The ending [NO spoiler] is very reminiscent of a Bioshock game, and sets the game up for an epic sequel.

The graphics are probably one of the best features of this game. Visually stunning, 343 has improved the game engine drastically, with better shadows, lighting, lens flares, anti-aliasing, textures, and many other great things. Whether you melee an enemy or fire a rocket at a moving car, you can feel the kick from the weapon and hear a satisfying crack as you break a hole in your enemy's skull, all without audio spam.

The soundtrack is superb, as should be expected for a Halo game. In order to fully understand why, you have to listen to it yourself. Epic, expanding, and fitting for the mood of Halo, you won't be disappointed by the audio in this game.

Finally, the multiplayer has been improved and refined in many ways. While the maps may be a little lackluster, weapon loadouts and 343's own take on perks will keep the game fresh and exhilarating, and an HD remake of the classic Halo 3 map Valhalla will trigger your nostalgia.

Overall, a visually well-crafted game with few cons and many pros that will leave you satisfied with the series, game, and what is to come.
  82. Dec 6, 2013
    It's an Amazing game! Definitely worth a 10! It's campaign, like all Halo games is amazing with the best graphics you can get on the Xbox 360. If you're done with the campaign there's a healthy and fun multiplayer which you can play for a longer time than COD. Trust m,e the multiplayer beats that of COD.
  83. Dec 7, 2013
    A terrific game, 343 did a really good job with the storyline and enemy/weapon design. Although it would've been nice if there where more levels. The ending left me wanting more, and after seeing what 343 could do I have high hopes for Halo5
  84. Dec 7, 2013
    It's a Halo game which mean it carries a lot on it's shoulders but it's a gem of a game. Short campaign, but what it lacks in quantity makes it up in quality for which it delivers an enthralling campaign which junctions perfectly from Bungie's Halo. Although the campaign is amazing, the multiplayer is weak with only a small amount of game time could be spent until boredom catches up. Nevertheless, you have new multiplayers features to deter you from completely putting the game down. Expand
  85. Dec 9, 2013
    I had the biggest hopes in the world preordering it the day i was able getting it at the launch being a halo fan since halo 1. And having my whole life as a gamer being crushed by what 343 did to my game. They promised huge forge maps and a good campaign. And they didnt. The story sucked. The only improvements they made were the forge controlls and vehicles. Exept for flyers they only had a banshee. And they tried to turn the multiplayer game into a cod experience instead of the halo i was used to with big maps, being sniped, kicking ass with the dmr. Into close quarter shotgun asualt rifle game. Hope your happy 343 ruined my gaming life. Expand
  86. Dec 13, 2013
    WTF IS THIS!!!??? I'm so disappointed. Boring campaign, terrible muti-player, 'Spartan ops' is compared to firefight, and forge is terrible. Loadout system is lazy and the maps are puny. DON'T BUY IT.
  87. Jun 30, 2014
    Halo 4 is a game that Halo fans, like myself, have waited years to play. The campaign's story is compelling as it initiates a new era for the Master Chief. The multiplayer is great also, but some may not like a lot of the changes. All and all, this is a true Halo experience.
  88. Dec 17, 2013
    THIS IS OVERRATED. 6.9? This deserves at highest a 2.
    Campaign=Underwhelming, boring, terrible
    Muti-Player= Broken, crap, under developed and lazy
    Forge=Striped of features, maps to small
    And to sum Spartan-ops? Well ,Firefight is 100 times better.
  89. Dec 23, 2013
    As a Halo Fan i am disapointed in halo 4. The story line doesnt sucks you in to it. The Multiplayer is to boring Split Screen will lag the game. Loadouts are stupid but i know why Bungie stopped halo, because Halo is Death. Their game Destiny will realy shine and Rise again. I give this game a score 1 because of the graphics
  90. Dec 24, 2013
    I think Halo 4 is good, but boring. The graphics aren't beautiful and the multiplayer is really boring. The spartan ops are funny, but they are all the same. It's so laggy and it needs a very good internet connection.
  91. Dec 26, 2013
    Halo 4 is one of the best Halo games ever made...343i did a very good job... unfortunately the gameplay is very similar to others game of the series, but is still solid and very fun. The plot is emotionally engaging end the Team worked a lot on the characters personality...
    The Multiplayer introduces new elements and is continuously balanced by the team.
    This Halo is a product of Talent
    and Passion, Good Job 343i... Buy it!
    In my opinion the most approrpiate rate is 9.5 ;)
    0, 3, 4, etc. have no sense
  92. Dec 31, 2013
    Halo 4 Typed Review By Tanner Warren

When it comes to Halo 4, there is no denying that it has become the greatest of the great when it comes to multiplayer kick butt action but I found the campaign to be lack-luster final thought. It almost seems like 343 knew that the Halo fan base wouldn't like a new company taking charge of there beloved game the hold so fondly to there hearts so
    they added in the return of John 177 or Master Chief as he's more commonly known, to reach a new level of hype surrounding Halo since the original game. The graphics were stunning and topped Black ops 2, MW3, and Battlefield 3 (The Xbox versions). As for the things I didn't like, pop in textures were a problem for me as well as the fact that it felt less detailed than Halo Reach. All of this in consideration, I give it a awesome score of 8/10 For graphics and textures!

As for multiplayer gameplay, Halo 4 has a wide variety of maps and game modes with enough action to keep you hooked for hundreds of hours. I was shocked and a little excited to hear that multiplayer was now supporting custom loadouts and armor abilities. The ability to chose which guns and gear you want instead of scavenging for it is great. Some may say it is becoming to much like Call of Duty with the loudouts, but I believe its a step in the right direction. However the new ordnance feature feels a little out of place. In a game based on strategy and quick thinking, it feels wrong to call in a noobie one shot weapon like the binary rifle. Oh and speaking of noobish weaponry, how about them bolt-shots. If your going to let us have a secondary "pocket shotgun" then why not let us have a real shotty. There is also a spartan ops mini campaign that ties up the lose ends. Spartan ops consisting of 10 episodes with 5 chapters ranging form 10-20 minutes depending on the difficulty and number of players. All this in consideration, I give multiplayer gameplay a 8/10!

Unlike the multiplayer, the campaign felt short and predictable. At all times I felt myself using the same tactics. Shoot the watchers at long range, move in and kill all the runners by shooting in the head and then take out the knights in single combat. As for the final boss fight? A quicktime event leaving us with a cheesy cliffhanger ending encouraging us to spend $499.99 on an Xbox one and wait for Halo 5 to conclude what the heck just happened with Master Chief. I regretfully give Halo 4's campaign a 4/10.

Moving on to sound, the guns feel much more meaty and satisfying to shoot! The Halo orchestra really out did themselves with the music for this one! I felt like I was marching off to war against the filthy covenant! So basically, THE SOUND WAS FREAKING AWESOME! I give the sound a Bass drop'n 10/10!

The multiplayer in Halo 4 was very addictive and hard to pass up. Even as I bought and played new games such as X-COM, I found myself putting in my Halo 4 disc within minuets giving the lasting appeal another awesome 9/10.

Rounding Halo 4's total to a great score of 8/10! A truly epic game!

-Tanner Warren
  93. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a recent Halo fan (having been introduced to the series last September with Halo CEA), I have loved the series for being the first FPS I truly respect. So, when I saw that there were even MORE Halo games, I immediately ordered all. I was expecting to enjoy 3 the most after all, I heard from a lot of forums that Halo 3 was the best game in the series, that it is unsurpassed, and that Halo 4 is way worse than that.

Is it me or did they wear nostalgia glasses? Halo 3 bored me.

From the beginning, I was bored. In the middle, I was bored. Near the end, they even screwed it up and turned the game from an epic defense of the Earth to a trip to the Ark. They should have closed the Earth storyline and focused on the ark here, because story progression was bad. No offense Bungie but I'm disappointed. If anything the best Bungie game in the series was Halo Reach, which was NEAR PERFECT, so I didn't get why people dissed it.

What they dissed even more was Halo 4. They say all sorts of things it sucks, it's CoD with a Halo paintjob, it has the worst campaign, they totally ruined multiplayer, and 3 looks better than 4 (no kidding, I saw this in the forums). However, reading critic reviews I expected much from it.

So I booted it up... and played... and didn't stop because I couldn't stop.

It was amazing. The visuals are among the best I've seen it can't beat Crysis on a technical level but I prefer Halo 4 in art style and lighting. I particularly liked how the environments have massive detail and feel open, unlike the closed style of many earlier games (even the amazing Halo CE had some disappointing corridor shooting scenes). The AI was great, and the Prometheans (new enemies) got you on your toes. The soundtrack was amazing, I actually prefer its emotional and atmospheric style to the Halo CE soundtrack (which was amazing but set some battles in elevator music). Multiplayer was good it's not perfect (personal loadouts are a bad thing), but it's fun

But what really wowed me was the story. I liked the progression. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with Halo, but I didn't find it convulted. In fact, it progressed beautifully, with all the plot twists being carefully placed. The only other games I know that match it are Halo CE and Halo Reach. The main story is that Master Chief and Cortana on a torn spaceship Forward Unto Dawn stumbled upon a Forerunner planet named Reqiuem, home to a race of Forerunner warriors who simply fight all that intrude the planet...

...until the awakening of the Didact, the ruler of the Forerunner warrior caste, who commands his Promethean army against Humanity. Though at first Master Chief seems to succeed, things turn bad when the Didact was able to retrieve the Composer, a Forerunner device used to turn sentient beings from organic flesh to digital data. At first the device was used to convert beings to AI, saving them from the Flood (an infection that brainwashes, mutates and commands life it eats), but when turned back to organic the people would be horrifying abominations. The Didact still believed in its use, unlike the Librarian who decided to support the Halo Array and start the galaxy from scratch.

The Composer, retrieved by the Ivanoff Research Station orbiting Halo Installation 03, was snatched from the station by the Didact, and despite the Chief's struggle to save the scientists, the Composer was activated and obliterated all humans the weapon was aimed at. Luckily, the Chief's augmentations from the Spartan-II program and the genetic evolution acceleration received from the Librarian helped him survive the blast, but he was blacked out. As he wakes up, he discovers that the Didact was moving the Composer to Earth, about to obliterate humanity. When the Chief gets there, he was able to stop some systems, but too late the Composer was activated and aimed at the city of New Phoenix, its citizens all obliterated by the weapon. To stop the Composer from disintegrating the rest of humanity, he primes a nuke into the Composer, to sacrifice himself...

What happens next I shall not spoil for maximum impact.

However, what truly amazes me is the relationship of John-117 (Master Chief) and Cortana. Not love, but their dependence on each other and how they reach a goal. In the story, Cortana falls into rampancy she exceeded her operational capacity and age, and is breaking down due to malfunctions. As the Chief struggles to get her back to Earth to allow her creator (Dr. Halsey) to find a solution, they discover what it means to be human, and what it means to be a machine. Cortana truly wanted to be human but being artificial intelligence, there really was a barrier. The Chief is human, but is like a machine fulfilling all duties. Who is human, and who is machine, then?

It is this existential pondering that truly makes Halo 4 beautiful. It's not perfect, but it doesn't deserve a 9. It's not flawless, but it proved 343 is worthy.

Screw the forums.
  94. Jan 11, 2014
    One word Amazing. halo 4 took the Halo series into a new direction but still felt like halo. multiplayer was fantastic and I have to admit for the campaign, its almost better than halo 3s. got to say second best halo game and I cant wait till halo 5.
  95. Jan 8, 2014
    A really good shooter. A good story, memorable characters, a really good soundtrack, some of the best visuals on the 360 and an extremely fun and addicting multi-player experience. While not an innovative title and adds nothing we never saw in the previous Halo titles, it's still a fun game to play through and if you invite your friends over, prepare to spend hours in this game.
  96. Jan 13, 2014
    Greatest Halo game!
    High quality feeling and audio, at 1080p it's graphics rival those of next gen!
    Though I miss the original Halo music, the new music is memorable and emotional..
  97. Jan 20, 2014
    Love halo. Great graphics, great gameplay, great upgrades. Multiplayer fell for me though, the ranking systems has no penalization if u lose, you dont know how high a players real ranking is, its more about how many games u play rather than wins/losses or kills/deaths. This caused multiplayer to be less serious, no one cared who won/lost, and no one talked because teamwork is only important if you need to win. Expand
  98. Jan 24, 2014
    The main plot premise is great - The Chief wakes up after four years of cryrosleep, only to find himself stranded on a world full of robots. What is wrong, you ask?
    Story: 5/10
    The story starts off great, but devolves into extreme confusion. After the first level, you rarely know what's going on, so you're forced to run and gun like a madman without knowing half of the story line. You
    literally end the game asking such questions as "Why is the Chief's armour changed?" or "Who was that Del Rio guy?"
    Graphics: 10/10
    Stunning and amazing, as usual with Halo games.
    Gameplay: 4/10
    Classic Halo + Halo: Reach + every COD game = Halo 4. This is a problem, because these are two separate gaming entities that should stay separated. It's just like putting Coke in a Mentos bottle, because it just doesn't mix, and the end result isn't too great. H4 retains the control scheme of classic Halo games with minor changes, but it introduces COD's cinematic sequences, perks, and care packages (called "ordinance" in this game). This in turn ruins the Halo feel of the game.
    Multiplayer: 2/10
    This is what really grinds my gears about Halo 4. Online has become a game of cat and mouse that is not longer fair, nor is it fun. Players can get a mini-shotgun of sorts almost from the beginning of their multiplayer experience, which makes the game very unbalanced. Whenever you try to play a game in the collectively called "War Games", the servers throw you in the middle of a match that you are losing by 40 or more points; you are often pitted up against players that are between SR100 to SR130. This happens so much in normal Slayer that I just play Infection, which is the only gametype to never have this problem. I hope this is fixed in H5, because I'm losing hope in 343.
    Overall: 5/10
    Halo 4 is not a bad game, as it is good in many aspects. However, there's more to hate than there is to like. Test H5 on a diehard Halo fan who doesn't like H4, just to see if they like it more than this game. If they do, test it some more and sell it. If they don't, take the game and throw it in the rubbish bin.
  99. Jan 23, 2014
    Let me just say I love Halo. I grew up on Halo. It was the first game my parents wouldn't let me play so I went to my friends house to play it. I beat halo 2 on legendary with my friend after school and I got Halo 3 the first day from circuit city (Still have the poster it came with). I passed on Halo 4 at the release because I didn't expect much from 343 and I just got Halo 4 because all the critics love it and I feel like I missed out.... This game doesn't deserve to have the halo name. A game that makes no sense without reading books **** books, I play video games). A game that has an artificially difficult single player (for example the knights disappear and can 1 hit you from virtually anywhere), your shield is useless (2-3 shots) you take fall damage if you jump 20ft even though you're in a suit of armor, It is clearly not designed for coop (you can breeze through the game), multiplayer ditches skill and finesse and adds loadouts and random drops. To be honest I thought the opening video was cool (I had no clue what they were talking about, but looked like live action.) and the sounds of the guns are better (the score isn't as epic.) But I don't play halo for graphics or sound. It's the gameplay and the multiplayer. This game is garbage. Expand
  100. Jan 27, 2014
    Es simplemente increíble desde el primer momento que comienza hasta es ultimo segundo de la campaña, no hay absolutamente nada que discutir. pasamos de una historia limitada a tocar incluso entrar en el universo tan complejo de halo, gráficos excelentes, la historia es por mas que interesante y nos conecta emocionalmente con Master Chief y Cortana, el multijugador es para admirar supera lo imaginable con innumerables formas de juego, armas y vehiculos, cambiaron totalmente la forma de ver los juegos, las habilidades y capacidad mental, sin mencionar que tiene una de las mejores bandas sonoras que puede haber en la historia de los videojuegos, sin duda es el mejor Halo, y el regreso mas épico para Master Chief. Expand

1. Dec 17, 2012