6.9

1. Nov 13, 2012
    Overall it's a REALLY NICE GAME; however, it's not without its flaws. One being a lack of a classical mode (as I personally hate how everyone and their mothers can grab a heavy weapon), and the other the over-powered binary rifle (something they've believed to be fine if you can see the laser light from the weapon). Yet I'm surprised by the hatred being spewed by some saying it's based off of "Modern Warfare". Do you actually believe each game is original? That they all start with new and innovative ideas? Games follow ideas from other successful games and no real game is original, so honestly, people need to calm down. The graphics are good, the gun audio is amazing, and the vehicles have a nice sound to them, Spartan ops adds more to a fairly short Campaign. Get this game, you will not be dissapointed Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo needs to stay halo. It obvious doesn't work when COD and other fps features are put into it. 343 should know that reach was no received well with the core fan base but yet they took it further. This new game has no identity. It is in the middle of halo and other fps' and it just doesn't play well.

The campaign is very short. It is the shortest campaign of any halo game. Can easily
    beat the game on heroic in 5 hours which is unacceptable for this series. Every mission has been ripped from other halo games which shows no creativity. Example being the flying falcon mission from reach, only this time its a pelican you fly. The mission plays exactly the same just with a new coat of paint. Also each mission has you pushing a button 3 or 4 times.

Multiplayer is very unbalanced and is already being hacked by players with aim bot. The game requires no skill anymore. You no longer have to be good to rank up, as everybody will rank up just for playing. The game promotes the player who shoots first most of the time. WIth the glorious aim assist and the big hit boxes this game requires little to no skill.

Unfortunately halo is on its death bad. While trying to broaden the audience, the developers have lost what has made halo a cultural phenomenon. Unless they fix this the series will die out.
  3. Nov 30, 2012
    All I can say about Halo 4 is that it is probably the best game I have ever played. The story is amazing, multiplayer is SEXY as hell and the Spartan Ops mode is juicy. I can never get enough of this game. If you are not a fan of Halo or have never played a Halo game, I don't care. Get this game. It's worth every penny. Hell its worth more than its retail price! 343i, thank you for this wonderful game and I can't wait for the next installment! Expand
  4. Nov 8, 2012
    This is coming from somebone who has played Halo since 2002 heres the pros and cons. PROS Amazing graphics that get better as you progress through the campaign. Brilliant sound design and musical score. Addictive gameplay. The series is in safe hands. Great story and voice acting. CONS The xbox 360 is starting to show its age (No fault of 343!) No control of audio mix No firefight The multiplayer should aim for 60fps + More player count in slayer in Halo 5 next gen (This is due to the aging 360 again)

All in all its a great game and im suprised just how good! worth your money.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    The game has definitely taken a turn, but that doesn't mean that it's been driven into the ground. The improvements in sound and visuals are incredible and alone should be recognized for greatness. Everything is as fresh as can be. But, what I think bothers most people is the change in mechanics and more importantly, the change in developers. True, many elements have been taken from to Call of Duty. However, the core of the game is still Halo and these guys aren't stupid. They know Halo. An incorporated sprint and perks won't destroy the game. It's just something new and different. I'll be honest and say that it'd be nice to see some Halo 2 type of gameplay, again. Guns, vehicles, melee and that's it. But Halo 4 is not Halo 2. And the easiest way to understand that it's not Halo 2 is to observe the cover of the game case. It reads Halo 4. These advancements in gameplay are meant to broaden the horizon of possibilities. The elements set forth into this title may seem clunky and unoriginal, but please do us all a favor; be optimistic.Don't be like many of the butt-hurt die-hard players who will go on to say that 343 killed the series and that their childhood has been utterly devastated. The game that we all love is still there, but the Halo Hipsters refuse to recognize it. It's a fun playthrough with a compelling story and a solid multiplayer. Buy it. Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    well here we go. look at that dichotomy of scores! anytime you have something this partisan, you can bet the haters have other reasons to hate - I don't dare speculate at this point.

Halo 4 is wonderful in most regards. Graphics, stunning. Sound, amazing. Story, very good. Gameplay, just right... note that point. Yes, it feels more like Halo CE than the others, and I like that.
    Let's get to the roots here people, and enjoy what makes this game great. That said - there are enough improvements to keep it interesting and fresh. Only dislike - too many of the ideas already used by COD and BATTLEFIELD type games for the multiplayer. Lame. But still fun.
    Laters... and don't listen to the haters. THIS IS A GREAT GAME
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    I don't think this game deserves a 10. I don't think it deserves a 0. I think if you chose either, your view is invalid. Pretty much all of these user reviews sadden me. You know what? Looking at all these user reviews, we don't deserve good games. We don't deserve developers working tirelessly to provide us with an entertaining experience. Not when we can't even be thankful for the effort, regardless of if we like or dislike the game. Not everyone that can write is a critic. I'll ask you to think before you write your user review, because I think that's the least that the people who made this game deserve. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2012
    A story that doesn't make a lot of sense; weapons that aren't as interesting; level design that's boring and repetitive (even by Halo's standards) and lots of small issues add up to a campaign game that just isn't that much fun. A disappointment, and not up to the standard that Halo sets. Multiplayer enthusiasts will undoubtedly get something from this, but for anyone who cares about the campaign this game just isn't that good. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2012
    Awesome game, and I've loved the Halo Franchise since Halo CE. It's similar to Call of Duty and Battlefield three, their fan's have joined a better game than Call of Duty and Battlefield. The multi-player platforms are great and campaign is fairly entertaining. I love all the new things they added to the multi-player experience! It's excellent. Definitely worth buying Halo 4.
  10. Nov 8, 2012
    I mostly bought Halo 4 hoping to have a fun campaign to play through, however, the campaign feels more like a chore than anything else. If you are going to buy this mostly to play the campaign...just wait a few months, and pick it up for $20 used instead... or rent it. I had to force myself to get through the first 3 levels - it's all the same **** and the whole time you'll be thinking "is this going anywhere?". The story is dull with plenty of crap that makes absolutely no sense. It's like they tried to take what was already a good sci-fi storyline and jumble in a bunch of garbage that's not really entertaining. I'll be glad when I finish playing this game so I can just trade it in. I have no idea where critics came up with the 9.0+ ratings for this game.

I'll probably try the multiplayer...but I'm not a big multiplayer fan so I'll keep my expectations low.
  11. Nov 9, 2012
    Overall, Halo 4 is a good game. There are many things, however, that make it less than perfect for any Halo fan that has been around for Halo 3 or longer. I'll start with the campaign. The first problem with it is that things happen much too fast without any build up, especially the first encounter with the Prometheans. Secondly, the introduction of characters is done much too fast as well and it never gets time to settle in. The cutscenes are spectacular; but a drop in audio quality often makes me annoyed. The cutscenes also fade too quickly, making the transition from scene to scene almost choppy. The overall problem I have with the campaign is that it isn't as memorable as Halo 3's. With everything redesigned, it almost feels like its not even its successor but an entirely new game of its own. 343's omission of many gametypes and customization options leaves much to be desired. I mean removing features from the game? Are you nuts? The thing that angers me the most is the limitation of emblems from the beginning. For one, there aren't as many as previous games to begin with, but two, there is only a limited selection from the beginning? How am I supposed to look different from other beginning players? Overall, 343 leaves much to be desired. The game feels more like something else than the start to a whole new trilogy. I hope 343 clears this up with updates (which they probably won't, if they follow Bungie's example with Reach) and learns from their mistakes with Halo 5. Expand
  12. Nov 10, 2012
    All I'm gonna say is its shocking the guns are rubbish and if you want a shooter wait till cod on Tuesday I have played all halos and this is by far the most unrealistic one two shots with a single shot bmr rifle kill you it's rubbish 10 out of 10 for the campaign 5 out of 10 for multiplayer
  13. Nov 10, 2012
    Before I get trolled by all those fan-boys let me make it clear I'm not a Sony fan-boy or a COD fan-boy. I'm Xbox through and through but... As much as I enjoy this game - I'm now becoming bored. The campaign is nice enough but the multi-player is just the same as previous Halos but with polished graphics and slightly more class customisation. But after all these years they've not added anything "special" to the multi-player. It's still very slow to get into matches and there are glitches that keep ending multi-player matches before they finish.
    There's a very limited weapons choice. The perks are one-dimensional. The armour is just for show - there's no concept of trading off heavy armour against speed and agility.
    There's no building damage (like BF3)

Maybe the problem with this game is that they spend so much time, effort and money on the campaign that they don't have much to offer the multi-player other than a graphics polish.

This game needs to evolve.
  14. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Allow me to just say this: I've bought and played every single Halo game released since Halo:CE. I have also played the CoD and MoH series, and yet I can say this about Halo 4: it is by far one of the most amazing first-person shooter games I've seen. And that's saying something. In a genre where the basic aim of the game is "point and shoot," it can be amazingly difficult to have the game portray any sort of substance beyond the passing thrill of shooting the enemy in the face or performing trick shots. So when I played through the campaign (admittedly on Normal difficulty), I was absolutely stunned by how magnificent the story they chose to portray shone through. The love story, tragic and moving without being sexualized: brilliant. The graphical display of the rich environment of Requiem: stunning. The suspense, which after the Flood would have had a high bar to surpass: thrilling. Even just the fact that 343 Industries decided to so deeply entangle the game with the novels being published (a concerted effort, if I recall correctly, between the authors and 343 Industries to expand the Halo canon ala Star Wars) made the game so much more interesting and intriguing.

Now then, what about the similarities, one might ask, with CoD? Now, I don't personally understand the hate between CoD and Halo fans (thinking as I do that it is just plainly stupid, since both series are great in their own separate story frames), but I can also recognize that some of the complaints of long-time Halo players regarding similar motifs is true. The rotating UNSC shield is very reminiscent of the CoD loading screens. A few other things did remind me of CoD, but is that why my score is not a 10? No.

These complaints are, at heart, irrevelant. FPS games, we must realize, run on the same generic platform framework. You have a gun, there are enemies, so shoot them in the face. Or anywhere else you want to shoot them. Everything else is just polish. Is your radar to the left or right, bottom or top, how the shield bar works, whether you have quicktime events or not...that's all just extras, so the idea that a game is inferior because similarities have cropped up with another game is ridiculous, as they all share the same basic idea.

So why is the score 9/10 rather than 10/10? For me, it was the end boss. It wasn't the quicktime event, however. If done right, a quicktime event can become just as thrilling as an actual boss fight, particularly as it means the story requires that the boss die in a certain way (usually to later explain how he/she/it survived and is coming back to bite you in the rear for not finishing him off properly). Rather, it was that the entire sequence was so short. Even then, it melded so well with the campaign's story that it didn't even bother me all that much. That's my only real gripe with the campaign, and I've yet to see a problem with the Multiplayer, so I won't even go there.

In short, 343 Industries have created a resounding success in their first foray into the Halo world. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with next. Hopefully, the 2nd Forerunner-Human War!
  15. Nov 12, 2012
    Halo is back in my opinion. Nothing beats or can compare to the very first Halo which is what I have been chasing fro years now like a drug. I actually enjoyed the campaign and did not skip the cut scenes like every other game in the last few years. I felt invested, I felt it mattered to know what was going on and what my next objective would be. The Spartan Ops definitely adds longevity to this game when you are done with the campaign and you can level up and customize as well. The multiplayer has changed or evolved and is a welcome change for me. Overall this game was a surprise hit for me. I purchased the game off of the Microsoft store with $25 credit. $35 and very well spent, just wow! The new weapons, the new enemies, the new locations, new vehicles. I do feel like I am always finding a new weapon or a way to use it. Must play. Expand
  16. Nov 12, 2012
    As a halo fan I was ready to give 343 industries a chance and looking back now, how wrong I was to even think about buying it. Starting off with the PROS: 1. the game looks very well polished and sleek (a bit too polished) 2. they've brought some old guns back 3. sprint is a standard ability given to everyone 4. master chief talks more That's about it... CONS: 1. the menu screen has been played with too much making it feel odd
    2. possibly the biggest problem, the music. if it's perfect don't change it
    3. boring campaign only consisting of objectives like ' hold the enemy off ' or ' destroy the shields '
    4. forge feels like its been copied and pasted added with a pile of turd stuck on top
    5. boring new maps that are no good for forge and make a bad multiplayer
    6. the mantis is a good concept but the design is terrible
    7. the forerunner weapons look cool but imo aren't good for any situation
    8. people on line are either idiots that camp or people who waste their life devoted to levelling up. It's becoming just like COD is.
    The game is just a let down. Sadly, 343 industries have ruined the halo era.
  17. Nov 12, 2012
    I have invested about 40 hours into this game so far. Let me be clear in stating that Halo 4 is a sum of its' parts. Halo is not just the campaign or the MP. It's all of it together (campaign, music, voice acting, cut scenes, MP, spartan ops, ranking, unlocking, etc.) and it's an experience, not a game. I have been an avid halo fan for the last 12 years of my life and can say with certainty that, in my opinion, Halo 4 is the best Halo yet. I have noticed that many reviewers are comparing the game to bungie's halos and something occurred to me. Many players may be waiting for the next Bungie game, not the next Halo game. For those are waiting for the next Bungie game you're not going to get it. What you're going to get is the next element of Halo. Let's start with the good. Halo 4 as everyone has said is gorgeous...the graphics will put even the most sophisticated games out there to shame. Some cut scenes are pre-rendered which adds just that much more realism to the series. If you've ever played the other games you'll notice that 343 has stepped out of a Halo comfort zone and tested the waters with an all new, more serious approach to the game in terms of character animations, voice acting, and dialogue. Secondly, Halo 4 feels like halo...let me repeat that for all the CoD fans...HALO 4 FEELS LIKE HALO!!!Halo 3 had given me some of the most memorable moments in my gaming career. It was my favorite game of all time. When Halo: Reach came out, Bungie had started experimenting but doing it in all the wrong ways. To many, including myself, Reach felt foreign. It felt different and most importantly it didn't feel like Halo. Halo 4 takes all of the things that Reach did right and mixed it with Halo 3 while casting aside all of Reach's short comings. (No spoilers, don't worry) In campaign Halo 4 goes back to its roots and gives us options on how to tackle engagements. What I mean by this is that when you turn the corner and find yourself in a big valley with a pulsating forerunner structure and hordes of baddies you can bum rush them with all of your Spartan might, hop behind the wheel of a near by vehicle (which are no longer made of DMR vulnerable paper machet) or covert-ops your way up to the nearest elite or knight and go into an stunning performance of grace and death with a combat knife....or brutally ripping arms off. But I digress. Choices are what has made the game so much fun to play for players in the past and it's back with a vengeance in Halo 4 which is something that was sorely missed in all the tight quarter engagements in Reach. The next great thing about this game is the Chief probably has more lines in this game than the last 3 games combined. The relationship between the Chief and Cortana is nothing short of spectacular! Finally the fans who have dedicated hours of their lives to reading the books have finally been able to see that expanded universe of Chief's personality mixed with the quirks that are Cortana. Mixed with her increasing rampancy it gives us loyal zombie fans something more than the previous campaigns ever did.Multiplayer is back baby! And it's better than ever! Halo 4 has taken all of the good things from every game and put it into the multiplayer experience. It learned from the mistakes that came from Halo 3 and Reach and pulled together to create a multiplayer experience that is fun and adds to Halo 4's list of ever growing Pro's. Movement is back to where it was, no more decreased strafing speed like Reach. You're back to usual spartan strength as well so grenades aren't mini nukes landing at your feet. Loadouts are relatively newer as you have to unlock certain items for use but don't worry you unlock the important weapons after the first couple of games. And the magic of Halo is that all the weapons are balanced. (minus the power weapons) meaning that even though you start with an AR and magnum you still have just as good a chance as anyone else for victory. Reticle Bloom is severely decreased to a point of almost non existence so skilled players are no longer taken down by lucky spammings of the trigger. Vehicle friendly maps are now more abundant than ever and feel fun to play! Briefly, Spartan Ops is a great replacement for the monotonous firefighting. Now you have purpose and a goal instead of mindless shooting. Spartan Ops takes place 6 months after the events of Halo 4 and is a whole new story in its own right. As mentioned before the whole game in itself is an experience. It's not just one thing over another and if you truly want to enjoy a game you should consider all it has to offer. Not beating the campaign in one sitting then taking it back.Small cons: Ammo isn't abundant in campaign, constantly switching to promethean and covy weapons.No saved films feature for campaign or s-ops yet.
    and the campaign ending leaves nothing to the imagination or eludes to what Halo 5 could be about. 343 outstanding job! Halo is in good hands.
  18. Nov 12, 2012
    The negative comments are so silly. I went out and bought a xbox 360 primarily just to play this game and it was definitely worth it. The campaign storyline is great and I felt connected with the characters. The addition of all these new weapons was really nice. The game is challenging if you play it on heroic or legendary mode but very rewarding. I honestly can't complain about much, if I had to i'd say the campaign was short. 6 hours, 3 minutes, and 30 seconds for me on heroic mode and I died a lot! Still, the campaign was solid. I like the addition of spartan ops but I hope 343 adds some more interesting levels for it soon. If you have an xbox 360 there should be no questions of whether or not to buy this game! Expand
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Everything in this game was absolutely spectacular. Multiplayer is better than ever and campaign is just as interesting as previous installments. The only think that I can complain with is the menus that leave a bit to be desired, but you get use to them very quickly,
  20. Nov 12, 2012
    Best campaign since Halo: Combat Evolved and best multiplayer experience since Halo 2. The graphics are amazing, the story is really good and there a ton of awesome moments worthy of the first Halo. My hopes were low for the multiplayer after the disaster that is Halo: Reach, but Halo 4 multiplayer is more than awesome, it really feels like Halo 2, the gameplay is fast and action packed, the maps are awesome and flawless. People who say the game have been CODified, its not entirely false, but what make halo, halo and cod, cod ? its definitely not the small perks here and here. The ordinances push players to rush and not to camp like killstreaks are in Call of duty, perks are a small bonus and are nowhere near mandatory. The scoring system is well made and really reflect players skills. What else can I say ? Expand
  21. Nov 12, 2012
    Best Halo campaign I've played in a long time. Greatest graphics in the series and the most emotional story line I've seen since the Gears of War series. The music, while not Marty's, definitely fits the Halo universe. 343i definitely did this franchise some good!! Love the multiplayer too, new and a step up from Reach's unbalanced mess.
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    There is no doubt that 343 Industries handled one the most famous FPS game of the history almost impeccably as soon as you play the first campaign missions. At the core it's still the same old great Halo we've been playing for years, yet at times, the game can deliver that same freshness the first one delivered as you're thrown in a completely new world against a whole new enemy even more threatening than the Covenant. The sound is still one of the finest you'd find, only this time, the same can be said in regard to the graphics. How beautiful this game looks! The gameplay, in spite of the default sprint, has changed very little and been kept as good as the past games. Last but not least, the multiplayer; well, in a nutshell: EXTREMELY addictive. Beware. Unfortunately, many Halo fans' favorite playlists were not shipped with the game, but it is nothing a patch can't fix. Fan of Halo? MUST buy. Not a fan? Why not join us now? It's a new trilogy, and 343i has proved itself to be more than capable of carrying on the legacy of the series. Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 has taken a new direction in regards of storytelling, and in my opinion it makes the best single player so far since we not only get MC and Cortana back but they have become something more than just a puppet we control. The campaign has some epic set pieces with beautiful graphics and music. Spartan Ops make for a valid replacement for Firefight though could need a scoring system. Multiplayer has changed a lot though, some will like it and some might not. Personally I'm having a blast and probably will be the first in queue for Halo 5. Expand
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    I love this game to death! Sadly, I wish COD did not get so boring to me. Happily, Halo did not become boring to me. The story is an A+, the online A+, the S.O. is an A+. Only thing that is bad, the fact that I wish I have more time to play. :)
  25. Nov 13, 2012
    i can't say anymore than this is an amazing game. the Campaign is STELLAR and i cant say anything else because of spoilers and finally halo has really great graphics the first time i go out of darkness of requiem into sunlight it was the same feeling of being on halo for the first time.

Multiplayer is SO FUN and even though its diffrent its still halo :)
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    The Best. from being a very avid player of the series. i'm glad they incorporated a lot from the books. a good example would be the relationship between the didact and librarian. It seems that 343i has been doing research on the story. the best part would be the graphics overall since Halo has never seen the daylight of true 1080p Resolution . OVERALL It Is AMAZING. Bungie. the legendary corporation that made Halo handed over there baby to another company no one has ever heard of and improved it beyond reason. Must get? Yes. and it's a must try for any. good investment Expand
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. However, it is a step in an entirely new direction. The campaign is awesome, the setting, characters, and story is great. Graphics are fantastic. Weapons and vehicles sound great and feel powerful. You get to know the Chief and Cortana better, since they actually have a personality in this game. The cutscenes look amazing. 343 has really captured that feel of a new alien world, just like Bungie did with Halo 1. Campaign is a bit short though, it ran me about 7 hours on Heroic. Neon lights EVERYWHERE.

The multiplayer is great, it is a completely new experience but it still plays like classic Halo. Surprisingly, the perks and abilities are all perfectly balanced. They are each useful in certain situations, but if you rely on them too much you will be at a disadvantage.

I've seen a lot of people comparing it with COD because of the loadouts. First of all, COD did not invent the system of loadouts; Battlefield, Team Fortress 2, Red faction: Guerrilla, and many other games have classes/loadouts/perks. Just because the two games have something in common does not mean that one copied the other. Loadouts and perks are becoming a standard part of FPS's, and Halo included them so that it could keep up with the pack. Personally, I think that they are a fantastic addition. If I wanted a game that played just like Halo 1, I would go play Halo 1. There is nothing wrong with revolutionizing a franchise, and 343 has done it well. I don't like everyone being on equal footing at the start of the match, it's boring to me. Each person you come against is unpredictable because you don't know what armor ability they have equipped, and I find that really fun. You have to constantly adjust your tactics in order to keep the upper hand. Halo used to be about rushing to power weapons and camping them all game, something that I absolutely hated. Halo 4 takes the focus off of power weapons, and focuses more on player skill.

A lot of people (myself included) were worried about the Mantis being overpowered, but after having used it for a few hours in MP I can tell you it isn't. If you bring it out into the middle of a firefight, you will die very quickly, unless your team is covering you.

Spartan Ops is a great addition. You get a new 'episode' of 5 missions every week, which will run you about an hour of gameplay on Legendary. They've only had 2 episodes but they're great so far.

I kind of miss Firefight, but not that much.

I personally believe that 343 has out-Bungied Bungie. This a fantastic game, but it is not like the previous Halo's. It is an entirely new trilogy from an entirely new company. If you can adapt to the franchise's new direction then you will have a blast. If you cannot, then I'm sorry for your loss.
  28. Nov 13, 2012
    As a long-time Halo fan, I was admittedly a bit weary that 343 wouldn't be able to handle the Halo franchise. I thought it would be like Halo Wars; big-budget, and well-polished, but just overall lacking in real quality; 343 just didn't have the experience to get it right, especially on their first try.

Well I'll be damned, they did it. Is it a perfect game? No. But Halo 4 is a labor of
    love, and every corner of this game has been loving crafted by some people who obviously wouldn't give up what they're doing for anything else in the world.

Graphically, right out of the box, this game blows away anything else that has ever appeared on the Xbox 360. Bungie made leaps and bounds with an amazing graphical engine for Halo's latest installment, but Reach never really had any BEAUTIFUL moments that really took advantage of just what they could do, and Halo 4 really steps up to the plate, combining a brilliant graphics engine with just amazing art direction. There's never a dull environment.

And as a long-time fan of Marty O'Donnell (heck, I practically worship the guy), I would have to say that by-and-large, Neil Davidge does a pretty damn good job of filling some large shoes for this game's soundtrack. Though he has perhaps fewer pieces that stand out as truly enjoyable stand-alone ones, with a large number simply being atmospheric pieces, and many of his melodies aren't quite as inspired as Marty's, his sound production skills are in a league of his own, with even the most basic pieces made enjoyable by some amazing layering of multiple melodies and rhythms.

And speaking of sound, this game is almost as much of a step forward as it is graphically. Every gun is an absolute treat to shoot, reload, and bash people's (and ancient dormant alien defense AI's) faces in with. Explosions are beefy, vehicles sound great, and combat is as visceral and intense as ever.

The written story, however, is likely one of the weaker parts of the game. While it gets the job done, by setting up some amazing gameplay moments and with cutscenes that are brought to life by facial animation easily on par with LA Noire and some fantastic voice acting, especially by Jen Taylor and Steve Downes's interactions, it can be somewhat sketchy and hard to follow at a few points, especially if you haven't read any of the books leading up to this game. But the underlying motif of Chief's (and Cortana's) humanity is a touching, thought-provoking, and emotional one.

What it all comes down to, however, is the gameplay, and man, did 343 really put some thought into it. As somebody who wanted to love Reach so badly but just never really clicked with it, Halo 4 puts some oil on the gears and gets them turning again. The campaign is chock-full of some amazing moments (the Mammoth ride had me drooling the entire time) and while it can have some repetitive moments inside of the Forerunner structures, it's overall well-paced and plenty of fun. The covenant are their usual selves but feel more responsive and coherent. If you start dropping grunts, elites will duck in and out to draw your fire. Kill high-ranking leaders, and enemies will flee and regroup to take you down.

And then there's the Prometheans. While there are only three enemy types (the pack-minded crawlers, the floating support-oriented watchers, and the commanding Knights), they all work off of each other to outwit and destroy you. Lone Crawlers will draw you into ambushes where they overwhelm and snipe you, Watchers will put barriers over enemies you are attacking, throw grenades back, and resurrect its fallen comrades, and Knights will do everything they can to obliterate you, teleporting in to slash at you when their heavy armaments don't do the trick. The enemy AI is fantastic, and creates diverse and interesting dynamic encounters where a single enemy can make a world of a difference on higher difficulties.

And multiplayer is a whole new fare. I was more than skeptical about loadouts, but among every weapon, everything feels balanced. This is nothing like Call of Duty, where you have 30 guns that do the same thing, with everybody racing to unlock the overpowered one that requires you to play a ridiculous amount of time to reach. Here, you have a small amount of distinct but equal weapons, and have to play a minimal amount of time to unlock them. Perks are also a neat addition, taking as little time to unlock as the minimal but neat difference they make. I never lost a gunfight because somebody else could carry an extra clip into the battlefield, and anybody complaining about them wrecking the game has obviously not bothered giving them a chance.

Overall, Halo 4 is a shining example of a game. 343 has blown away every single expectation for this game, and there's plenty of content to appreciate, from its somewhat short but oh-so-sweet Campaign, to its Multiplayer rich with too many features to list to weekly, episodic, and FREE spartan ops missions.

Buy Halo 4.
  29. Nov 14, 2012
    This is the best xbox360 game since Mass Effect 2 and the best Halo since Halo 2.

9/10 Gameplay Feels like an improved version of previous Halos - exactly what I wanted, with a wider range of weaponry but with the classic balance the series is renowned for.

8/10 Campaign Great way to kick start a new trilogy with a new faction of enemies, my only criticism is that the plot was
    a bit meandering but still was very entertaining. 10/10 Graphics The best graphics ever displayed by my xbox360 so has to be a perfect score.

9/10 Soundtrack As always the music appropriate for the scenes in the campaign, theyve also updated the gun sounds and battlefield ambience which is real improvement (just compare sound of assault rifle in Halo 3 to Halo 4 to get what I mean).

10/10 Multiplayer Perhaps the most important aspect of Halo 4. I can only compare it to other first person shooters out there so here goes: I own MW3, BF3, it is much better than these. Camping is punished and like in all previous Halos you cant just repeatedly run around a corner and auto aim no scope someone with a souped-up AWP for an insta-kill like on some other FPS's out there. Hence if you are smart your life expectancy will be much much longer than the average of 7 seconds you can expect from MW3 or any other CoD for that matter. The maps are great, allow for a good range of combat, if you want you can go for up close melee tactics or use rifles against anyone foolish enough to run across an open battlefield without cover. Also, vehicles arent overpowered and are vulnerable if the pilot/driver makes a mistake like flying a banshee too low or crashing a tank into a rock that has 3 Spartans waiting to pounce from behind, it whereas a skilled player will rack up kills with it before the opposing team has had enough and banzai attacks them or finds a suitable weapon (hello mr railgun) to eliminate the threat. I would say that the multiplayer aspect is on a par with Bad Company 2 for entertainment value so it gets a 10.

Definitely worth £40 I would highly recommend this game to anyone interested in gaming.
  30. Nov 14, 2012
    Halo 4 is another great addition to our collection. But it fails on multiplayer. Even though everything else is enjoyable I mostly prefer the multiplayer i think it gives soul to the game.

1. Dec 17, 2012