Halo 4 Xbox 360

7.0

1. Nov 8, 2012
    Halo 4, like its predecessors, has a great story. It has a depth and complexity that most FPS games in this generation lack. The graphics, of course, are yet another iteration on the game engine that drives the Halo franchise. Though I enjoyed the game very much, the glitz and glamor of a good story and great graphics cannot hide the glaring flaws in this game, and that is the gameplay.Halo 4, like its predecessors, has a great story. It has a depth and complexity that most FPS games in this generation lack. The graphics, of course, are yet another iteration on the game engine that drives the Halo franchise. Though I enjoyed the game very much, the glitz and glamor of a good story and great graphics cannot hide the glaring flaws in this game, and that is the gameplay. In a sentence, 343 simply fails to innovate its gameplay. If you have played the first Halo, you have played all of them. In essence, there is nothing new about this game, and that is disappointing. Instead of learning valuable lessons from games like Uncharted, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, or Dishonored, the developers choose to play it safe by sticking to the same old formula it has always used. The question is, is a compelling story enough to make you overlook uninventive gameplay? For some of us maybe, but not for me. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    Halo 2 is probably my favorite shooter ever, I played Halo 2's multi-player for far more hours than I would ever want to count. This game does not live up to Halo's reputation, the graphics are the best they have ever been but in just about every other aspect this game comes up short. The campaign is weak but my real problem is with the multi-player. The matchmaking system is probably theHalo 2 is probably my favorite shooter ever, I played Halo 2's multi-player for far more hours than I would ever want to count. This game does not live up to Halo's reputation, the graphics are the best they have ever been but in just about every other aspect this game comes up short. The campaign is weak but my real problem is with the multi-player. The matchmaking system is probably the worst in any game I have ever played, games regularly start with 4 or 5 players on one team and only 1 or 2 on the other. Taking a cue from Call of Duty they have decided to include kill cams. These kill cams frequently show me getting killed by people shooting 3 or 4 feet to the side of my character or getting splattered by a vehicle which quite clearly didn't touch me at all. The music which defined Halo is also gone. 343 Industries wont see any more of my money, I'm sorry to say that I am done with what was my favorite franchise growing up. Expand
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    update graphics a bit, still probably the worst halo this gen, and that is saying something

halo 4 isn't even fun. that is the problem single player story ( normally considered top notch) is mediocre at best. the forge mode which was normally fun in halo reach and 3 is practically non-existant in halo 4, why is it even a feature? the multiplayer, which is the reason anyone gets halo

the multiplayer, which is the reason anyone gets halo if Freaking terrible, everyone hated reach, well halo 4 is worse. it isn't fun in the slightest. I wish halo would be fun again like in halo 1 or 2, but we still get garbage with the halo tag.

the graphics look better, but they don't feel halo, because instead of colorful worlds were get gears of war grey. none of the covenant look like they used too, its just grey on grey action. oh and master chief is grey now too, awesome.

anyone who loved forge games in halo 3 or reach might as well not get this game at all, because forge has no freedom anymore.

anyone giving this game a 10 needs to be ignored it's a bad game with halo one the title and it's all they see.
  4. Dec 24, 2012
    Single player consists of a great story interspersed with more hallway levels than you would ever expect to or want to see in a Halo game. A new developer created this game and it shows with the way Cortana is treated. Needless to say, the most memorable part of Halo 4 was Cortana and her story. The new developer through their treatment of Cortana essentially told players that Halo isSingle player consists of a great story interspersed with more hallway levels than you would ever expect to or want to see in a Halo game. A new developer created this game and it shows with the way Cortana is treated. Needless to say, the most memorable part of Halo 4 was Cortana and her story. The new developer through their treatment of Cortana essentially told players that Halo is going in a different direction.

More importantly, the single player gameplay went from Halo where the road splits at 4 forks whilst you are driving a warthog to Halo 4 where it is one big Gears of War duck and cover level interconnected to each other with hallway battles. If that ain't bad enough, the multiplayer from the moment you buy and turn on the game is discouraging from the get go. Halo 4 has a "season pass" ala Call of Duty. What the publisher says is a discount on DLC is in reality, a Halo club card where if you don't buy into it, then you are potentially left out of matches because you don't want to pay $10 for 3 recycled multiplayer maps. Overall, Halo is the space FPS while Call of Duty is the terrestrial FPS. Both have terrible single player campaigns, while the multiplayer is becoming more and more exclusive with each new iteration in the series.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    343 have done a great job. The audio and gameplay are fantastic. Best Halo yet. Also the multiplayer is better than ever. Minus 6 points as there is no local search or ping indicator in multiplayer. WTF, 343?!?!? FIX IT! I don't want to lag.
    Jun 14, 2015
    Halo 4 is, on its' own, a decent game. However, as a Halo game, it doesn't match up to its' predecessors. The gameplay is more or less solid, to its' credit, but 343 thoroughly butchers the lore of the universe for Halo 4 as well as in the novels surrounding it. Considering the barely tolerable characters like Sarah Palmer, whom is essentially a misogynistic Sergeant Johnson wannabe, theHalo 4 is, on its' own, a decent game. However, as a Halo game, it doesn't match up to its' predecessors. The gameplay is more or less solid, to its' credit, but 343 thoroughly butchers the lore of the universe for Halo 4 as well as in the novels surrounding it. Considering the barely tolerable characters like Sarah Palmer, whom is essentially a misogynistic Sergeant Johnson wannabe, the plot is incredibly cringeworthy, both for Spartan Ops and campaign, with lore issues as well as the cringeworthy acting for the "romance" or whatever nonsense that Chief and Cortana get into.

Multiplayer is pretty solid in the basics but gets to be pretty awful when you interact with any of the call of dutyied game systems added in like prestiege armors or whatever the garbage is that they added. Multiplayer armor designs are also some of the worst ever, resembling power rangers more than military hardware. Most of the helmets have retarded visor designs, or look like wannabe copies of Recon helmets. Mix in the bizzare lack of a codplate and loads of greeble-ey design work and you get armor that generally looks awful.

Overall, better off renting this game if you can, cause it's not worth buying for any long term interest.
  7. Feb 27, 2013
    Master chief has returned and now the game has switched devs. The game is an astounding drop in quality from its predecessors and 343 should be ashamed. Story: The campaign is much shorter then its predeccesors (aside from ODST, which had the bonus of being quality over quanitity) and puts Master Chief against a new enemy. But because they couldn't be creative, the elites and co. are backMaster chief has returned and now the game has switched devs. The game is an astounding drop in quality from its predecessors and 343 should be ashamed. Story: The campaign is much shorter then its predeccesors (aside from ODST, which had the bonus of being quality over quanitity) and puts Master Chief against a new enemy. But because they couldn't be creative, the elites and co. are back with a barely explained sentence explaining why the previously turned allies are trying to kill him again. The writing has dropped off and feels like a mediocre fan fiction. It ends with a HIGHELY predictable scene that exactly 0 people were shocked by who don't have mental difficulties and was about as sad as Dom dying in Gears of War 3 (as in everyone who enjoyed the terrible sequel found it crushingly sad, but everyone who likes quality gaming found predictable and not sad at all). Story gets a 3/10 Gameplay: Sprinting has now been introduced, making the game feel less unique compared to other shooters and adding something that was never introduced (except as a armour ability in reach, but it prevented you getting another ability just so you could sprint, so it was balanced) for a reason. Elites now no longer have the absurd shields they had in Halo Reach, which I find a positive thing, as it just was not fun to spend 2 assault rifle clips on 1 enemy just to take down shields in Normal difficulty (not even an exaggeration). The multiplayer has added in killstreaks, which negativly impact the game, but not massively since they are not as OP as in CoD and are can get you killed while you drop it as it likes to ignore where you target and place it more into the open (which I assume is intended, to make it more risky, which is ALWAYS a good thing). The loadout system I was going to insult, but a recent update fixed my one gripe with the adition which allowed guests to use host players unlocked weapons to make temp loadouts (which obviously disapear once they log off). Weapons are unlocked extremely easily due ot the much faster leveling system of the multiplayer, and all the decent weapons you literally will get within 90 minutes of gameplay. Item unlock points are also quickly gained. The armour abilities are all much much worse then the perfectly balanced ones in Halo Reach. All of them are either OP or useless, especially the CLEAR Blacklight Retribution rip off Prothean Vision. Perks seem kind of OP, but as send before, you get the good ones within like 20 minutes of gameplay, so not a huge loss. Gameplay gets a 6/10. Graphics: Graphics ARE an improvement over previous games, which you would assume would be a good thing, but alas, it means heavily frame rate drops if you want to play co-op (even on just two players) and clearly shows the aging consoles wrinkles. They should of returned Halo to the PC but sadly Microsoft are the same they always have been. Graphics even then don't look that good and honestly should not lag the console as badly as they do. There is plenty of games with superior graphics on console that don't lag and this seems to be a pathetic failure in the optimization department. I would rather a steady framerate then better graphics. The art design has also been changed at some points, but nothing to radical (except grunts and jackels now look way stupider, but they were already pretty stupid). So art design isn't worse or better. 4/10 on graphics. Sound: COLLOSAL drop in quality compared to preceeding games. Name ONE halo game with a worse soundtrack then Halo 4, you simply can't do it. The guns now sound different and more realistic, but Halo had a feel to it which was part of the old gun sounds, they gave the game less realism, but had their own charm which is now completely gone in exchange for mediocre realistic sounds. 3/10 for sound. Overall, I give the game a 4/10. Seeing as I love the Halo series, I love the lore and storyline of all the predecesing games and have read multiple of the books, this game is a huge disapointment. It feels to me what others felt ODST was (which I honestly found to be a fantastic adition to the game, although it still should of had a multiplayer mode aside from firefight). A sad drop in quality and completely turns me off Halo 5 and 6.

Oh and on a side note, multiplayer is way to noob friendly. You may be thinking "Oh, he is a just noob who thinks he is good and is he is dying too much" its actually the opposite. I am AWFUL at shooters, especially on console. If I am able to get the amount of kills I do, mainly due to the badly concieved loadout system, the skill cap has lowered massively. I simply should not be doing this well, that is not stroking my ego. This is mainly due to giving sticky grenades in loadouts, which means I can just spam them at warthogs with no danger.
  8. Nov 7, 2012
    I want to love this game I really do it's just ... just. Where do I begin?

The story isn't bad don't get me wrong and playing campaign is pretty fun as well. But it feels off, it doesn't feel like a halo game yet a game that was in mid development and kinda just threw in characters from halo in there at the last second. So campaign: Pretty decent. And where my main problem is the
    I want to love this game I really do it's just ... just. Where do I begin?

So campaign: Pretty decent.
    And where my main problem is the multi-player. Why is it trying to be so complex? It's just multiplayer doesn't need a story. That's not even the problem though. The problem is how it feels closer to call of duty then anything. I mean instant respawns, kill streaks, and classes. I just miss the old halo feeling.
    Multiplayer: Awful.
    As a person that loved all the halo games I hate to say this but I doubt I'll be getting another halo game in the future. Never before in all of the halos I've played did the multiplayer turn me off so badly.
  9. May 5, 2013
    I was excited to play this game. I had watched the Forward Until Dawn series and several of the other CG webisodes that had to do with special ops. It looked like they really wanted to take Halo to the next level and advance the plot. All of the marketing for this game was top notch, however the game was not. I was amazed at how little the game felt like it had evolved from the very firstI was excited to play this game. I had watched the Forward Until Dawn series and several of the other CG webisodes that had to do with special ops. It looked like they really wanted to take Halo to the next level and advance the plot. All of the marketing for this game was top notch, however the game was not. I was amazed at how little the game felt like it had evolved from the very first incarnation of Halo. The in game plot did not live up to the standard set by all the marketing. As far as I could tell there were only 3 cutscenes that were rendered at cinema quality, the rest seemed to be rendered with the in-game engine. I played the campaign co-op, and repeatedly had to deal with being respawned over empty space or in front of walls on vehicle levels. The AI was unimpressive for the current generation of FPS games. This is the Halo game that will make me stop playing Halo. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2013
    It is better than Reach but, what isn't better than Reach? The gameplay dynamics feel more refined than Halo Reach. The hit-scan weapons reduce multiplayer lag online. The load-outs still make the game feel like a watered down CoD rather than Halo. The lack of an in-game true skill ranking system really irks me as well. Over all I would give this a 4 out of 10 because it was a visibleIt is better than Reach but, what isn't better than Reach? The gameplay dynamics feel more refined than Halo Reach. The hit-scan weapons reduce multiplayer lag online. The load-outs still make the game feel like a watered down CoD rather than Halo. The lack of an in-game true skill ranking system really irks me as well. Over all I would give this a 4 out of 10 because it was a visible improvement over Reach but still nothing close to Halo 2 or Halo 3. Expand
  11. Nov 6, 2012
    Campaign - It was hard to follow the story. There was a lot of jumping around and it was unclear what the purpose of the story missions were. I also played it Co-op which was the worst way to experience the game. There are near hundreds of spots where you will warp to your teammates facing different directions, and if you are in a vehicle when your teammate warps they will usually be inCampaign - It was hard to follow the story. There was a lot of jumping around and it was unclear what the purpose of the story missions were. I also played it Co-op which was the worst way to experience the game. There are near hundreds of spots where you will warp to your teammates facing different directions, and if you are in a vehicle when your teammate warps they will usually be in front of you and will die from a betrayal. Game looks nice, plays bad. War Games - Only search with a full party or you will get put into losing games more often than not. There are clear advantages to certain armor abilities and perks. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    The campaign is too short and too plain. Should be the best part in the whole game.
    The multiplayer lacks fun playlists and Infinity Slayer is bad. Also, there is a lot of lag in multiplayer. A lot.
    The design is ugly, sound and visuals. There are a lot of bugs still waiting to be patched.
    Overall, good job on ruining Halo, 343.
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    The game we all anticipated and had mixed feelings for excitement is finally here. Is amazing, terrible, or just ok. Well lets look at every aspect of this game before we answer that.(ps, dont own the game, pre orderd it for my fiance and played through the campaign with her and then did hours of online) Campaign, This games campaign was unsatisfyingly short. And most of the levels, areThe game we all anticipated and had mixed feelings for excitement is finally here. Is amazing, terrible, or just ok. Well lets look at every aspect of this game before we answer that.(ps, dont own the game, pre orderd it for my fiance and played through the campaign with her and then did hours of online) Campaign, This games campaign was unsatisfyingly short. And most of the levels, are composed of doing the same thing. Hit a switch, kill waves of enemies, progress. The story was dull and had no depth and left lots of plot holes. All in all, this game is not a game that u will jump into and play for the campaign.

Graphics- the graphics in this game were awesome, it kinda had a metroid prime look to it, i really loved the graphics for this game, it was outstanding and very nice to look it.

Forge, I was annoyed but liked the forge in halo 3, loved the forge in reach, but what about the forge in halo 4. Its nearly the same as reaches, yet they add a bunch of cool new features, my favs being the lock the object so u cant move it or delete it on accident(happened so many times in 3 and reach) But everytime u switch from creator ball to a character, this irritating loading bar shows up and makes u wait, besides that, forge is good.

Guns-Im probably gonna get flamed for this, but alot of the guns in this game were cool but way unbalanced. Some guns r just way too much, for instance, the alien shotgun, that thing kills in one hit from so much distance. Alot of the weapons ripped off the conduit. It just felt like they were tryin to make some type arsenal of epic weapons but they just couldnt find the balance.

Multiplayer(offline) This game basically just said if u dont have online, screw u. Because sad to say, this games main focus was online. With this game, i had no fun with offline multiplayer, it lacked in every thing, i hate that about every halo game that there is no ai in multiplayer offline. Oh well a man can only dream.

Multiplayer(online) Online in this game was fun. It takes reaches loadout style and makes it customizable, giving u your own choice of a load out. They also added perks and a reward system where if u rank up enough kills, you get to call in a drop that gives u a powerfull weapon or an ability. It was nice to see them expirement with these new ideas. It all felt kinda cool. But it wasnt halo. Its as if they just took the halo name and some of the style and posted it on a call of duty. Players die so fast due to a small health bar. Alot of the kills in this game now are based off of who has the stronger weapon or who sees who first. It doesnt really take skill to kill in this game. And instead of matches being based off of kills, its based off of the call of duty style score. It feels like halo is losing its identity. But it didnt make the game bad, but it didnt make it amazing either. Thats where bungie out did 343 was originality. Bungie did everything in their own innovative way and did it amazingly(especially with reach). 343 just looks at the popular titles and makes it like that so that people play it.

In the end, i did have fun with this game, but all in all, it dissapointed me. 343 did do well on some aspects but missed 100 percent on the core halo. Plus the main games focus is all based on the online and not really on campaign or offline multiplayer.
  14. Nov 8, 2012
    Halo 4 could have had so much potential, it COULD have been the game of the year, but the changes 343 made to the system made it fall short of the god i was hoping it would be. COD and halo have always had different mechanics, but with the multiplayer changes, the line between the two is almost non-existent. Custom load outs are my biggest problem with this game, halo has always been a mixHalo 4 could have had so much potential, it COULD have been the game of the year, but the changes 343 made to the system made it fall short of the god i was hoping it would be. COD and halo have always had different mechanics, but with the multiplayer changes, the line between the two is almost non-existent. Custom load outs are my biggest problem with this game, halo has always been a mix of map smarts and power weapons, but if you can spawn with more powerful weapons (like in COD), it defeats half the purpose. Then there's the perks (also found in COD), more ammo and shields, so much for being tactical to get to first place on the leader boards, oh and if you die now you can just re-spawn instantly, (oh look, more COD). and there there's special ops.. wait i mean spartan ops.
    Now on to the sounds, the guns all sound hideous, I'm not even going to go on about how annoying the warthog sounds, and the sticky grenades don't go vrrrreeeeeeeee anymore, what the hell 343 that was the most satisfying thing. Then there's the Limited edition and Halo 4 Console, so let me get this straight, I have to BUY ANOTHER XBOX to get all the in game content, thanks but no thanks. Now the main reason i gave this game a 4 was because the graphics were really good, but that doesn't make a game, and i found there were parts to the game where there were so many structures and scenery I couldn't find out where i was going. all of this considered I would suggest borrowing this from a friend for a day (the campaign is that short), because this is not what we have been waiting 5 years, and 343 dose not deserve $60 for this game.
  15. Nov 11, 2012
    If you were expecting it to be as good as the Halo 3 or Reach, then I've got bad news for you. The campaign was enjoyable with exciting graphics, but the online play is something entirely different. 343 industries completely butchered the online play to the point where I felt the need to make an account on here and warn you. I have no idea what the were thinking, but 343 took out theIf you were expecting it to be as good as the Halo 3 or Reach, then I've got bad news for you. The campaign was enjoyable with exciting graphics, but the online play is something entirely different. 343 industries completely butchered the online play to the point where I felt the need to make an account on here and warn you. I have no idea what the were thinking, but 343 took out the traditional spawning of weapons in certain locations throughout each map. Instead they implement the use of load outs and supply drops which sounds cool, but in reality sucks major D. It's like 343 was trying to make it into a battle field game but instead turned it into a retarded and dysfunctional mutant-hybrid game. Expand
  16. Nov 12, 2012
    Graphics are pretty good, best for Xbox. Alien AI is awful, they dance about from side to side & trying to aim on them is a complete joke. I expect this on legendary, NOT normal. Guns are boring & totally useless. U often get a close range gun for distant enemy's, & a meaty slow loading one for cqc. Constant running out of ammo hence dying lots. Very repetitive levels & generally boring.Graphics are pretty good, best for Xbox. Alien AI is awful, they dance about from side to side & trying to aim on them is a complete joke. I expect this on legendary, NOT normal. Guns are boring & totally useless. U often get a close range gun for distant enemy's, & a meaty slow loading one for cqc. Constant running out of ammo hence dying lots. Very repetitive levels & generally boring. You will destroy a controller playing this game! Nice music tho, none of that guitar crap from previous games.
    The infuriating end to halo 2 is what this game is. Over & over & over again. Big disappointment & my last Xbox game. Had enough of shooter games now. Halo ce was the best the. Series went down the pan
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    Do you love Halo multiplayer? Are you looking for a challenge? Well, this is not the game for you. With no ranking system Halo 4 kicks competitiveness to the curb. The load-outs and ordnance packages make the experience feel generic. It is infinitely disappointing.

As for the campaign, players will find the same well-grounded fundamentals of game-play they've come to expect from the series. However, the storytelling is bland and the level designs look to have been pulled from previous episodes, leaving little desire to be replayed.
  18. Nov 22, 2012
    I love the Halo storyline especially Reach. However this Halo 4 campaign was a disappointment. The story was convenient and one dimensional. You might have replaced the words UNSC (United Nations Space Command) with USSC (United States Space Command). Having one black dude and one Asian dude does not count for diversity in the world. At least Halo Reach had Spartans with more exoticI love the Halo storyline especially Reach. However this Halo 4 campaign was a disappointment. The story was convenient and one dimensional. You might have replaced the words UNSC (United Nations Space Command) with USSC (United States Space Command). Having one black dude and one Asian dude does not count for diversity in the world. At least Halo Reach had Spartans with more exotic names.

The Game play was very repetitive. and it felt like playing a game of Pacman whereas playing Reach you felt that each level you were playing you were accomplishing a greater goal to the story line. I didn't have the same excitement I usually have will a Halo game. Games are more than just graphics, sounds and lighting. It missed that 4th dimension. Excitement. Despite this the MasterCheif/Cortana relationship was cool in this game. But overall I am very disappointment.
  19. Nov 25, 2012
    343 industries clearly wanted to distance themselves from Bungie by redesigning how the Halo universe looks and how it sounds. Unfortunately for 343 compared to Reach the game feels far less impressive with less appealing aesthetics and the completely redesigned sounds seemed to miss the mark too.

The game itself tried to do to many things to please a larger audience base. New to the game are mech armor, linear flying sequences (which uncannily seemed like Starfox 64 with a halo skin) Quick time events and even a set piece that seemed to be taken from portal, where the bad guy inexplicably re-arranges a level design to make it harder (but not impossible for some reason) to get from point A to point B. On the note of the Bad guy, his motivation is brushed away in one line of dialogue and then takes a position of complete indifference to Master Chief for the rest of the game even though he is continually foiled by the chief. Cortana no longer has her strong personality but rather now reminds me of someone craving attention by constantly complaining just to get Master Chief to reassure her which accumulates to the most out of place cut-scene.

The multiplayer is now more focused on fast paced action rather than weapon spawn camping. which is a significant improvement. Though the need for a perk to be able to pick up fallen grenades seems a bit odd for a halo game.

Overall a massive missed opportunity with the poorly written and heavily retconned plot where Microsoft might have been better off just creating a completely new universe from scratch rather than attaching onto the existing halo one.
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Campaign is ok, multiplayer is freaking awful. Too much randomness and garbage taken from COD (flinch, Personal ordnance drops, world ordnance drops, instant respawn) and less features than Halo: Reach make it the worst Halo.
  21. Feb 3, 2015
    I've played previous Halo games that I enjoyed, but this one is not very good. Levels were boring, no new features or game perks. The AI was predictable, and after figuring that out the missions became easy to finish.
  22. Jan 27, 2013
    Over hyped as usual only protected by nostalgia and fanboyism. Yes it's great to look at but just like all games in the series are your basic and simple shooter. Strip away all the flashy lights and explosions and tell me this game is unique and worth the high praise it gets. Oh and the talking computer is bloody annoying and somehow ends up being center of attention which is a complete joke.
  23. Feb 25, 2013
    I really hoped that bungies absence in a Halo game wouldn't be that big of a deal...but i was very wrong. Halo 4, despite its graphical superiority is a very poor Halo game. the Campaign is a bit of mixed bag, the antagonist and his plans feels rushed and is very bland, but the interactions between John 117 and Cortana are very well done. the campaign also briefly delves into John'sI really hoped that bungies absence in a Halo game wouldn't be that big of a deal...but i was very wrong. Halo 4, despite its graphical superiority is a very poor Halo game. the Campaign is a bit of mixed bag, the antagonist and his plans feels rushed and is very bland, but the interactions between John 117 and Cortana are very well done. the campaign also briefly delves into John's sociopathic side which is very interesting despite the fact that its extremely brief. The campaigns weakest link is its criminally anti climatic QTE boss fight. it may be very short but it makes the villain even more worthless than he was in the first place. The multiplayer is also a complete disaster.... the spartan IV's armors look absolutely ridiculous and resemble power rangers more than the traditional realistic and badass looking Spartan II and III's. Rather then the addictive firefight from REACH and ODST 343 added a mode called Spartan Ops, an episodic series of missions that take place after the campaign...while this seemed like a decent idea, it ultimately fails due to the missions being painfully repetitive constantly recycling areas from campaign and having little to no story at all. the weekly cinematics also seemed nice but they are way too short to make anyone give a about the characters or story. Matchmaking rather then being a refined but familiar Halo experience, takes more hints from the appalling CoD series in its inclusion of perks, custom classes, Killcams, and zero spawn time. This ultimately rapes the Halo experience that people have come to know and love and makes it a COD game with a Halo color palette... in the end Halo 4 is an extremely weak Halo game with the only appeal being the ability to gawk at the games gorgeous visuals. Expand
  24. Feb 24, 2013
    Halo 4 soap hallway Kinto. In terms of multiplayer game plays very KIllzone 3, and then there is the second best part. Graphically, the game finally reached for Resistance: Fall of Man (even brought 720p) and thus the potential of Xbox 360 over. Gameplay Haltsa-Myltsa sucks the most innovative generation shooter Killzone 2.
    So the drain on all fronts.
    Billiboi comrades, I advise you to
    So the drain on all fronts.
    Billiboi comrades, I advise you to buy a PS3 and play it in best games.
  25. Mar 21, 2013
    Now I had high hopes for Halo 4. But these hopes were shot down when I was playing the Campaign. The enemy's are defiantly not as smart as people say them to be, and the missions are usually very bland and boring. After beating the game on Normal it then attempted to say me into buying Xbox Live so I can keep playing Halo 4. Now I don't play on the Xbox Live so the multiplayer was out ofNow I had high hopes for Halo 4. But these hopes were shot down when I was playing the Campaign. The enemy's are defiantly not as smart as people say them to be, and the missions are usually very bland and boring. After beating the game on Normal it then attempted to say me into buying Xbox Live so I can keep playing Halo 4. Now I don't play on the Xbox Live so the multiplayer was out of the question. Once I beat the main game, I went to the Infinity lobby to try Spartan Ops only to be shot down and slapped in the face by another wall blocking my way to more Halo 4. That wall was a few sentences that said "Xbox Live Gold membership and permission to play online required for Spartan Ops". I immediately turned off my console after that. I went back into the game however a few months later and played the campaign again. It was fun, but afterwards I check my custom created Spartan. I got nothing for playing the campaign. Absolutely nothing except for a helmet for my Avatar. Heck the game didn't even say what difficulty I completed the game on. In my personal opinion Halo 4 could have been a great game, but was shot down by the Xbox Live requirements. You need Xbox Live to look at over 80% of the games content. I'm sorry to say it, but 343 has really ruined Halo for me. Expand
  26. Apr 30, 2013
    Do YOU love Call of Duty? Do YOU paly Halo? Well, then 343 has news for YOU! Call of Duty: Master Chief! Congratulations 343, you successfully took the best of two worlds, and FAILED to combine them. Wow. The story is mediocre, very much a Deus Ex Machina. The Spartan Ops are fun, but hey, we're only giving you 10, wait till Halo 5 comes out. Ok. The Multiplayer is seriously unbalanced,Do YOU love Call of Duty? Do YOU paly Halo? Well, then 343 has news for YOU! Call of Duty: Master Chief! Congratulations 343, you successfully took the best of two worlds, and FAILED to combine them. Wow. The story is mediocre, very much a Deus Ex Machina. The Spartan Ops are fun, but hey, we're only giving you 10, wait till Halo 5 comes out. Ok. The Multiplayer is seriously unbalanced, even with the "new" CSR. Which is BS. The group I play with CONSISTENTLY STILL gets put with players who are either pushovers or MLG bosses. WTF. Balance means EVEN 343, not screw with it till folks give up. Personal Ordnance has a lot to do with this, as you may get rockets in a map and the enemy just sees 'nades. Great plan. OR you get on games like Valhalla and all and the other team ALL pulls Snipes/Beams whilst YOUR team gets Needlers/Shotties. Ok. Smart. If you're going to COPY CoD, at least let US choose our ordnance! Personal loadouts are another big BS thing. Hey new kid, you get any points to level up? No? Ok, enjoy your Assault Rifle while I Stealth Active Camo Plas Nade and DMR you. Really 343? If you continue this crap into Halo 5, expect me to NOT buy it, or any other product you make. Expand
  27. May 26, 2013
    I thought long and hard about giving this game a lower score because of 343's blatant destruction of my absolute favorite game series, but I was objective. By category, here is how I review this game:

Graphics/Sound: Excellent. I was skeptical about O'Donnell not doing the score, but Davidge did it justice. The graphics update was a nice touch, and this Halo is easily the best looking.

Campaign: Decent. I would not go so far as to say it was good, but it was serviceable. It continued the story of the most beloved franchise character, and added a touch of humanity to MC as well. Didact was very forgettable as a villain, and he hardly seemed present throughout the game. The storyline with Cortana was so-so, decent but predictable.

Multiplayer: Bad. This is what the Halo franchise is known for, and 343 REALLY dropped the ball. First of all, they had no beta, which is a huge mistake. This predictably led to balancing issues with weapons and load outs, bad hopper composition, and a very poor selection of maps to accompany the hoppers. Second, the game launched with no competitive ranking system. This was highly criticized with Reach, and yet they repeated the same mistake. When they finally did institute it, they mad it only visible on Waypoint, did not take into account any previously accumulated stats, and used a very bad and watered down rating system that is NOT Truskill (previously used in H3). Third, the map selection at launch was terrible. I know I glazed over this in the beta bit, but 8 maps at launch is not good. To compound the problem, the maps did not compliment the launched hoppers. There were very few small sized, arena type maps for Team Slayer, and the composition forced people to play Big Team. The need to launch a DLC just 1-2 months after launch shows that the needed content did not ship with the game. Fourth, the game hoppers at launch were lacking. There was no Team Snipers, no Griffball, Slayer Pro was taken down after a few weeks, and King Of The Hill was removed shortly thereafter. The choices were basically Team Slayer, or Big Team. Fifth, 343 allowed the king of competitive shooters to be dropped by the MLG. This was a serious mistake, and showed their intentions of moving away from a part of their fan base, which happened to be the most loyal and enduring of their followers.

In summary, this game is in fact COD: Master Chief Edition. By alienating their core audience, 343 has all but eliminated multiplayer. At launch, the game boasted around 450,000 players in multiplayer during peak hours. At current time, the highest population for a current day is around 40,000. Currently, H4 ranks 5th in XBL player activity behind BO2, Minecraft, FIFA, and MW3. This game is less popular than a COD game that was released 1.5 years ago, and is widely considered to be the worst COD entry. I feel that a small bit of emotion is warranted, and I can only describe it as betrayal. I would pick this game up used in the bargain bin, but cannot justify anyone paying full price for it. I will certainly think long and hard before grabbing another 343 game, but by the time Destiny comes out, I doubt I will even think about Halo any longer.
  28. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm a bit late to review the game. But I was hyped for this game from the day it was announced to the day it launched. The multiplayer is unbalanced and disappointing. It's a CoD mirror. The population has died so fast. Spartan Ops is recycled regions of the campaign (for the most part.) It also has very cheesy and bad voice acting. Most of the custom games options were removed. Forge hasI'm a bit late to review the game. But I was hyped for this game from the day it was announced to the day it launched. The multiplayer is unbalanced and disappointing. It's a CoD mirror. The population has died so fast. Spartan Ops is recycled regions of the campaign (for the most part.) It also has very cheesy and bad voice acting. Most of the custom games options were removed. Forge has no good maps. Campaign was the only good element. I don' recommend this game unless you're a campaign guy. Expand
  29. Jul 9, 2013
    Good for a generic FPS but bad for a halo title. Campaign was short and boring. Enemies are cheap and boring. Its only kinda fun at best. If you really want it get it cheap.
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    Absolutely worst halo game iv'e played I never revisited this game again after 3 days, couldn't even get past the second mission in this game because it's so boring.the multiplayer is alright but you get bored of it way too quick.My advice don't buy this game, it's a waste of your money

1. Hyper Magazine