Happy Wars Xbox 360

6.8

1. Apr 14, 2013
    Happy wars is a free to play online game which features large scale battles in a variety of fantasy settings. The goal is to capturing the enemies castle whilst defending your own.
    Upon downloading this I wasn't expecting much. I had seen the low critic ratings and heard of the poor connectivity issues. 15 minutes in and I was hooked. The game proved to be highly addictive and fun. The large scale battles could be epic at times with each team facing off. Meteors hitting the earth around you and swordsmen trying to flank you.

Another great part of the game is the in depth customisation. It's real fun to kit out ur little dude in everything from helmets to chefs hats. Of course though the micro transactions play a part in this game although it is possible to choose not to spend any hard earned Microsoft points. But the game is highly geared towards making you want to spend money. Players who do spend tend look cooler and be more powerful than players who choose not too, although it is possible to get great gear from just playing.
    I've heard people moan that it is hard to find rare items simply through playing but to these I say that what's the point in premium items if they are common and easy to pick up.

The game is not without its downfalls though. The camera can be tricky at times and I have had a few connectivity problems but nothing really major. Just the odd kick from a game but this is pretty rare. The music tends to be repetitive.

All in all this is a great game free to play or not. It's hell of a lot of fun and addictive. You will find yourself sinking hours into it at a time always thinking "one more game so I can level up my new sword/armor". I highly recommend this to anyone to try. Try it you will be Suprised and you have nothing to lose after all it's FTP
  2. Oct 22, 2012
    It is surprising to see a free XBLA game but after the rise of the F2P games Microsoft was too tempted I guess. Happy wars is an arcade third person tower defense kind of game with a clear focus on 15 vs 15 multiplayer action. Even though this game is based on multiplayer it still has bot matches and a short single-player where missions are unlocked by ranking up in multiplayer. This gameIt is surprising to see a free XBLA game but after the rise of the F2P games Microsoft was too tempted I guess. Happy wars is an arcade third person tower defense kind of game with a clear focus on 15 vs 15 multiplayer action. Even though this game is based on multiplayer it still has bot matches and a short single-player where missions are unlocked by ranking up in multiplayer. This game gives a good story with single player that has its cute humor and gameplay just like multiplayer. The whole game is based on a single mode which is destroying the enemies tower which is inside a castle. It may not seem like much but actual strategy is required because 15 vs 15 games can become a disaster with no organization. You have 3 classes to play as, warrior, mage, and cleric which is a support class. These classes are balanced since every class can counter everything with strategy. Items are to be found, equipped, and leveled up making your character more epic, which leads to unbalanced multiplayer sometimes since experienced players may have too much armor and may seem immortal to new players. This is also the 5th arcade game to have 400 achievement points which is awesome for achievement hunters. My main issues with this game are simple, the first is that matchmaking is horrible, it takes extremely long and you often loose connection, sometimes before or after the game has started. My next issue is the fact that you need a gold membership to access the game, I would like to access bot matches and single-player without gold which is unfortunate for people who don't have gold. The last issue is that matches can be a mess and its easy to get lost in the disaster of 15 vs 15 people devastating everything. For now, this game still needs to be perfected and even though it offers fun gameplay there are still downsides which could be fixed with a few patches, I still need to see what the future holds. I'd say you should give it a try, but don't be completely positive about the experience. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    This is a fun and free game, but the score will stand as a 5/10 because of many issues. I find the multiplayer elements and ranking up in multiplayer to have any single player campaign missions to be an alright system and quite original idea, however, its the worst idea to do when they don't seem to plan on making it so a multiplayer match can be played by anyone.

This game lost 5 score

This game lost 5 score from its multiplayer leveling to unlock campaign missions. It stands to reason that if you intend to make a system like that you have matchmaking that will ensure that players will be able to do anything to even get single player.

Now before haters try and get on my arse about "stop complaining about free", no shut up. I'm not complaining about free, and Microsoft surely pulls in enough money from their $60 a year for their matchmaking service alone, they could support a server or something that will assist with a large playerbase. Other than the matchmaking issues, my score is 9.5/10. This is a very fun game but I cannot forgive the major problems with matchmaking and multiplayer 'dropping' everyone in the game. When you are REQUIRED to rank up in multiplayer to get campaign. I will correct my rating when the matchmaking is updated, IF it is updated.
  4. Jan 7, 2013
    Being a free game on XLBA, I gave "Happy Wars" a shot and I must say that I am pleased with this little download. The replay value is great and the settings are just plain "cute." This does not mean there are no flaws at hand. I hope that these are fixed sooner than later, but for the time being it is a fun game.
  5. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is very innovative, including a Cartoon type art style, and a pretty overall good combat system. But there are things that make this game bad. The menu looks very compact and choppy, matchmaking is slow, and sometimes in ranked matches you get paired up with level 40+ players while your still level 1. The game in enjoyable, but also a little on the annoying side. Expand
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    After playing Ascend Hand of Kul it made me appreciate this game alot more. At least you get a sense that they are trying to fix the problems..Unlike Ascend Hand of Kul that gives you a IDGAF that I havent seen in a long time. I like this game..Its pleasant and enjoyable with a few minor bugs and microtransaction that you dont need to pay to play to enjoy the game. Kudos!
  7. May 18, 2013
    The game itself is really fun, I got really addicted with it for a long time, with great customization, to decide which way you want to play makes the game as fun as it is. I had a problem with connection issues and disconnections way too often, way more than it should, and even though it brought down the experience for me a bit, I am not letting it affect the overall score too much.The game itself is really fun, I got really addicted with it for a long time, with great customization, to decide which way you want to play makes the game as fun as it is. I had a problem with connection issues and disconnections way too often, way more than it should, and even though it brought down the experience for me a bit, I am not letting it affect the overall score too much. Considering this being a free game, I suggest that people should give it a try, and maybe they will have as fun as I did. Expand
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    The game is not something i'd usually even play but once I got the hang of it I can honestly say that the animations and quirky theme got me sucked in for a while. You can't beat something decent for free. The amount of people playing this game online is shocking and a testament to its design. Ill give any tower defense game a try and I did, a solid 6. Not that good, but not that bad.
  9. Dec 13, 2013
    Happy Wars is free-to-play done wrong. Too many please purchase this and so on. The gameplay can be fun and somewhat addictive at times, which is a plus.
  10. Jan 10, 2014
    They need to fix the matching up of the players. You will get alot of noobs on the same team with a bunch of much higher ranked people. It is ridiculous.
  11. Jul 15, 2014
    Happy Wars is really fun and is a great game for when your bored but can get a little boring after a while.
    Is very fun when playing with friends. Great for Partys!

1. Dec 19, 2012
    Fair free-2-play game for Xbox 360, a good effort from Japanese company Toylogic. Visual style is nice, so the humor, but netcode is poor and need to be improved.
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    Happy Wars suffers from serious technical issues that undermine an otherwise quality core experience.
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    The title developed by the guys at Toylogic combines remarkable qualities and defects which, unfortunately, push it away from a totally positive evaluation. On one hand the game is accessible and fun (at first glance), but on the other, it ends early, it's repetitive and the matches are not always adequately balanced.