7.0

1. Nov 30, 2012
    47 is MIA. This isn't Hitman. IO has succeeded in making a linear, get-to-the-door simulator, but everything that made Blood Money awesome has been replaced with QTE's and over-the-top set pieces. No Weapon selection going into missions, no escape from mandatory cut-scenes where your target gets away, no way 47 can hide a Kazo TRG in his suit. Most missions do not feature a Target that you47 is MIA. This isn't Hitman. IO has succeeded in making a linear, get-to-the-door simulator, but everything that made Blood Money awesome has been replaced with QTE's and over-the-top set pieces. No Weapon selection going into missions, no escape from mandatory cut-scenes where your target gets away, no way 47 can hide a Kazo TRG in his suit. Most missions do not feature a Target that you can kill, and the ones that do are much more flat than even the worst Blood Money Missions. If you are a fan of the series, then you'll have to find a new video game franchise to like, because Hitman will never be the same if this game is a sign of things to come. Expand
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    It's not Blood Money 2 like I wanted it to be, and it is the worst Hitman game in the series. With that being said, it's still a better game than most of crap being released these days. I'm hoping IO makes Blood Money 2, with the next entry. Side note, I really miss the newspaper article thing from Blood Money. That was my favorite.
  3. Apr 15, 2013
    A poor addition to the Hitman franchise. Hitman was a series that didn't need changing, it was as if IO Interactive have never heard of the old saying "If it's not broke don't fix it" Everything that made Hitman so great and unique has been removed and replaced with material copied from other gaming franchises. As a result Hitman Absolution is very similar to Splintercell Conviction ratherA poor addition to the Hitman franchise. Hitman was a series that didn't need changing, it was as if IO Interactive have never heard of the old saying "If it's not broke don't fix it" Everything that made Hitman so great and unique has been removed and replaced with material copied from other gaming franchises. As a result Hitman Absolution is very similar to Splintercell Conviction rather than a Hitman game. The big open sandbox levels have been replaced with heavily scripted linear levels so it can tell a story. Previous Hitmans were all about gameplay, Absolution is more about a story. The story was like it was written by Steve Stiffler from the American Pie films, very childish sick gross out trying to be edgy but fails. In my opinion games should always be about gameplay, if i want a story i'll watch a DVD or go to the cinema. The less i say about the broken AI the better. Expand
  4. Apr 20, 2014
    I have to say that I have played the older Hitman games and they are awesome! Unfortunately I was not very good at them because they are truly challenging stealth games. I got Absolution and loved that you could kinda tone down the difficulty initially and work your way up the ladder. I played through and have gotten used to the game layout. Hitman truly is an art...dropping a chandelierI have to say that I have played the older Hitman games and they are awesome! Unfortunately I was not very good at them because they are truly challenging stealth games. I got Absolution and loved that you could kinda tone down the difficulty initially and work your way up the ladder. I played through and have gotten used to the game layout. Hitman truly is an art...dropping a chandelier on an unsuspecting foe at just the right time, garroting someone and then donning their clothes to walk among them, all make this game great. I have replayed it countless times and am currently working through all the challenges which I love. I think the challenges give this game so much depth and replay value.

The story I found good as well and I enjoyed the environments presented in the game. I admit it is tough to sneak around and the instinct isn't always as helpful as it could be. For example: When walking by a shotgun 47 has a thought "that would draw a lot of attention"...I'm like yeah kidding.

I found that the game does kind of push you to eliminate guards and there is always usually a convenient dumpster nearby haha.

Also, the sniper challenge DLC is a fun little game, where you basically snipe things and make events occur which are fun to watch.

Overall, I have to say I love this game. It is gorgeous graphically, the music sets a great tone, and offers great replay value with multiple methods to kill targets. I've been playing this game for months literally on and off and am still finding new paths within levels. Definitely worth a purchase for any gamer in my opinion.
  5. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is not and will not ever be Blood Money. Hitman: Blood Money is on a different level, and those who have given this game a bad review in comparison to Blood Money need to understand that. If you have not played the Hitman Series, I recommend you just go out and pick up a copy of either this game, or the Hitman HD Trilogy, and see if you are a fan. Personally, I started withThis game is not and will not ever be Blood Money. Hitman: Blood Money is on a different level, and those who have given this game a bad review in comparison to Blood Money need to understand that. If you have not played the Hitman Series, I recommend you just go out and pick up a copy of either this game, or the Hitman HD Trilogy, and see if you are a fan. Personally, I started with Absolution, and it made Blood Money so much better once I played the lesser game first. I have a lot of pros for this game, the first being that it included a tutorial stage. Since every game anymore has highly varying controls, it is nice to not try and pick up a game for the first time and be stuck looking at a picture of your controller in the options menu just to figure out how to play. You always want to hop right in. This tutorial stage does just that. It sets up a level that is just like any other level, and teaches you the tactics of the game as you advance through it, then it lets you take over for the end. This game also has a very diverse gameplay. Although the tutorial makes it clear that the game is meant to be played with a stealthy 'kill only the target' approach, they also made the game able to be played in a 'Wreak havoc and kill everyone with a submachine gun, executing all the guards, in a Chipmunk outfit' way. A Chipmunk Outfit? Yes, a chipmunk outfit. This game has a variety of disguises you can use to walk around in to avoid being caught as the Hitman. Just a few are: A tuxedo, a doctor's getup, a chicken suit, a drug dealer, a chipmunk, and far, far more. It made this game very fun to play whenever you just want to screw around. You could pick up a bottle, dress as a chicken, and see how many guys you can kill with that bottle. Outside of that, this game has a fairly good plot, and moves at a nice pace, with 20 campaign levels that all have 3 missions inside of them. These missions all have separate components, giving you a lot of things to accomplish in a lot of different ways. Now, as far as the cons for this game go, the DLC for this game is not actually DLC. All they give you is the ability to pay real money to get guns and outfits inside of the game. It was disappointing when I wanted to continue the game by purchasing another mission or something, and being met with only a bunch of guns. Another downside is the responsiveness of the game. There are times where you want to do certain things, and the game mis-registers what you attempted, and that can be very frustrating. I call it a Classic Ezio, because in the original version of Assassin's Creed II, Ezio was very unresponsive and loved to jump off buildings when you were trying to climb them. Anyways, I digress. If you are looking for a game that matches any playstyle, and can captivate you for hours on end, try out Hitman: Absolution. Expand
  6. Jan 19, 2015
    Hit-man absolution, first person shooting and control game is really cool, i really like the graphics the realization of the game is basically just like the next gen Xbox one graphics, the way enemies drop when getting shot at and just the whole experience, wont say to much don't want to spoil the game but just a really beautiful game.
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    An awful addition to what was an ever improving series of games, for those new to the series it has some appeal, but for anyone whose played the previous games it is but a shallow linear shadow of it's past. First person - gone, the scoring seems flawed and fails to grant any flexibility, and as for getting the damn thing to run on PC with a spec far above "minimum" - AAGH!. Such aAn awful addition to what was an ever improving series of games, for those new to the series it has some appeal, but for anyone whose played the previous games it is but a shallow linear shadow of it's past. First person - gone, the scoring seems flawed and fails to grant any flexibility, and as for getting the damn thing to run on PC with a spec far above "minimum" - AAGH!. Such a dissapointment . i actually have returned "HM":A and asked for money back, the second time ive ever done that for a game in 18 years. Expand
  8. Nov 20, 2012
    Hitman is dead, Police suspect Blood Money isn't involved. Remember that beleoved Hitman series? Well it's been killed! This game is the worst Hitman in the series by a long way. They've taken all the Hitman out of Hitman. Well i'm off to play Hitman Blood Money....you know the proper Hitman game.
  9. Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, despite the generally popular reviews this game is getting, one point needs to be made abundantly clear.

THIS IS NOT HITMAN. Hitman is unique and was a thinking man's game. For the most accurate and truthful review, read PC gamer UK's review. It doesn't matter its for PC, all platforms got the same letdown of a game. Just to clarify, i have played and completed every hitman game

Just to clarify, i have played and completed every hitman game since the first one was released. And i dont mean i bought them all in a compilation, i mean i played each one at the time it was released and so have a good handle on how the series has developed over the years. That was until it died today. :(

This is a dull and repetitive stealth game, while you can kill people in varied and cool ways and there are some unique features like wearing limited disguises. Thats it. A lot of work has gone into it but its not particularly great. There are serious flaws, like the checkpoint system, and the gear system is largely pointless making pre-order bonuses a joke. There is no feeling of freedom and strategy like in the other games. Its just a linear story driven stealth game. Instead of having whole levels to do what you want and watch people and their behaviour before making your plan, now everywhere is pretty much restricted, and the disguise system is lame now. So basically you just sneak everywhere to reach your objective. As i said, a generic stealth game to please the masses. LAME

I MEAN FOR GOD'S SAKE THE ENEMIES RESPAWN IF YOU RELOAD A CHECKPOINT! Ridiculous.

Shame on you IO and shame on you Enix. Shame on all the spineless reviewers that gave this game over 75% too. And even that is being generous!
  10. Nov 20, 2012
    If you want to play a Hitman game then keep playing Hitman Blood Money or Hitman Contracts. As a fan i really wanted to like this game but so much of it annoyed me i just couldn't enjoy it.. 6 and a half year wait for this, i've never been so dissapointed in a game like this before!
  11. Nov 20, 2012
    This is NOT a Hitman game. The levels are small an not really sand box ,the AI is bad, the story is bad. If you want a bargain then head on over to Ebay to grab my copy.Ebay is full of second hand copies already an its the first day of launch,what does that tell you?
  12. Nov 23, 2012
    Splintercell Absolution, oh i mean Hitman Absolution, or is it Splintercell Conviction with Agent 47 in it, i dont know im confused with this game. 6yrs in the making and i was excited and expecting Blood Money 2....but what i got was Splintercell Conviction with a hint of Hitman and a hint of Kane & Lynch. (80% of Absolution is Splintercell). You will find yourself walking down narrowSplintercell Absolution, oh i mean Hitman Absolution, or is it Splintercell Conviction with Agent 47 in it, i dont know im confused with this game. 6yrs in the making and i was excited and expecting Blood Money 2....but what i got was Splintercell Conviction with a hint of Hitman and a hint of Kane & Lynch. (80% of Absolution is Splintercell). You will find yourself walking down narrow paths making your way from door to door...and thats pretty much it for the most part. When i fired it up i had to make my way to a door without being seen, once i made it i was like ok now what? Make your way to another door without being seen...ok im here now what? Make your way to yet ANOTHER door without being seen. This is basically all it is,crouching down and sneeking past people trying to get from one door to another without killing anyone, they should of called it 'Hitman Door Solution'. When your not making your way to another door the game offers fans of the franchise a couple of tiny sandbox levels to play in, trouble is none of them are very good and they are small and linear. I got to the King of China town levels (you visit here twice once during the day and another during the night) and i had killed my target by blowing up his car with some conveniently placed explosives someone just left lying around (who leaves random explosives laying around in a crowded China town, or anywhere else for that matter?) my target was dead in around 30 seconds and then i was asked to make my way to yet another door to finish the level. Back to the conveniently placed explosives thing...unlike previous Hitmans you dont get to select your weapons before the level starts, this time you have to pick up enemys weapons as you go a long. This is stupid because when it comes time to blow someone up or snipe someone it means some explosives or a sniper rifle will be laying around in the level exactly where your supposed to use it. Its like "Ok heres the bit where you snipe someone heres the sniper rifle placed right by the window" As i said earlier, who leaves these things lying around? The new disguise system is really annoying and broken. This time if you get too close to others wearing the same disguise as you you are pretty much instantly caught, they recognise you are not part of their gang if you get too close. If thats not bad enough they can even see through masks! I stole a baddies clothes which come fully equipped with a Friday the 13th style Jason hocky mask thinking as my face was competely covered nobody would recognise me...turns out i was wrong and got a shed load of bullets pumped in to me from about 10 baddies. Sometimes when you steal someones clothes its not even the clothes they were wearing, its like "Hey he had a brown jacket on when i stole it, so why has his jacket turned red now im wearing it?". Also disguises dont always carry over to the MANY cutscenes. If your dressed as a yellow bird when a cutscene triggers Agent 47 wont be dressed as a yellow bird in the cutscene, he will be wearing his trade mark suit in it, this doesnt always happen though which makes it even more stupid. Back to the famous doors Hitman Door Solution seems to love.Once you have walked through many doors you CANNOT go back through them. For instance i started a level with 3 narrow paths to choose from...i wanted to go to the right to investigate but thought id quickly see what was left first...so i went left round a corner an came to a door...i went through the door then tried to go back to take the right path i originally planned to take but it wont let you go back! This happens alot throught the game. It doesnt encourage exploration like previous Hitmas, it just forces you down narrow paths to trigger the story (stories crap too!) So i found myself nervous about going through any doors before id explored the level incase it was a door i couldnt go back through....trouble is which of these doors is a non returning door...you just dont know untill you go through it. So any Hitman fans out there interested in this game....i really wouldnt bother, only 25% of the game caters to us Hitman fans then that 25% really isnt very good. If you like Splintercell Conviction or doors then give it a whirl. As an Action game id rate it 6/10....as a Hitman game id rate it a 1/10. Looks like ill be playing Hitman Blood Money for another 6yrs. Expand
  13. Nov 27, 2012
    Great Game. Some of the Hits were Cutscenes which really pissed me off to say the least. Contracts mode is very cool as it grows with time. The graphics are very good on the PC version. It was a great addition to the Hitman Family and I feel like some people like Matty2012 are just trolls. This game is a HITMAN game and its a fun one.
  14. Apr 25, 2013
    I might've been one of you who dislikes this game. I'm a big fan of the old series and still think they're a great concept that needs better execution. I was slightly disappointed with the action-oriented, linear route Absolution takes. But I can't dislike this game. I luvs it. It's not Blood Money 2 and once you get around that, it's a great game that tries to do a lot and does most of itI might've been one of you who dislikes this game. I'm a big fan of the old series and still think they're a great concept that needs better execution. I was slightly disappointed with the action-oriented, linear route Absolution takes. But I can't dislike this game. I luvs it. It's not Blood Money 2 and once you get around that, it's a great game that tries to do a lot and does most of it right.

The graphics are pretty, especially for console standards this is quite a looker. If you're bored of brown/grey shooters, Absolution presents you with a refreshing array of environments, both indoors and outdoors taking you from a gothic interpretation of a modern American city to a quaint desert oil town. It's all wonderfully cliched, pulpy and over the top and nicely done. Most of all the story never really gets in the way. Cutscenes don't overstay their welcome and the script never reaches for dramatic heights it can't reach. The level of design and detail in the environment makes it feel like you are visiting proper places and not just levels in a game. There's a lot of ambience altough this sometimes translates into a pretty heavy handed bloom-implementation that makes it seem like 47's skull actually gives off light. In other areas it's used to quite beautiful effect.

Controls also see an upgrade and feel tight and responsive. You're always in control of Hitman's actions and reactions and it all works right. It can even be played as a very competent and entertaining third person shooter if you want, altough you'll miss most of the fun.

It looks great, plays great and it's not a run-of-the-mill commando-shooter. In fact, the game is at it's best when you don't shoot anyone. It becomes a giant moving puzzler. This is finally a proper stealth game, where you can ghost your way through all the levels (often in multiple ways!). There are always multiple approaches and the environments are littered with deadly tools and potential death traps. All you need to do is go in and get creative.

People lament that the old brainyness of Hitman is gone, and that's true in a way. But that was also the old games' point of frustration. If your plan went wrong, all you could do was start again. Absolution achieves something quite remarkable in throwing that old template away. This is the first stealth game I've played where no matter what goes wrong, you can keep playing. Once enemies are aware of you, the cat and mouse that ensues is a lot of fun and there are a million and one ways to lure, subdue and kill your enemies.

The game rewards and actively encourages experimentation and multiple plays with a smart unlockable system. So really, once you get past the fact it's not Blood Money 2, it's a great game. The story attempts to be a Rodriguez style grindhouse affair and doesn't really succeed, but who cares... it entertained me more than the grumpy faced, let's save the universe wannabe grimy and intelligent pulp most games have. It's all trash, Hitman at least admits it. In this world, everybody is a perv..so a hitsquad of latex clad nuns makes perfect sense. The story never gets in the way, it just serves the purpose of taking you from location to location, and Absolution offers great variety here to the point that when you do get to the inevitable industrial area/mine shaft/factory environment all other games have, it's almost a welcome distraction... almost.

It's not perfect. It's cheesy in places, the characters are hard to like. It's also not the game hardcore Hitman fans expect and even I would still love to see a hardcore open-level stealth game like Contract return to consoles. But IO also isn't the biggest studio and they need to turn a profit, so some concession would have to be made. I'd say they made them very elegantly and if you take all the fan-sentiment out of the picture, they delivered a highly enjoyable, smart, colourful and beautiful game. The polished exterior hides a great stealth 'em up that not only accommodates a staggering variety of playstyles, but lets you switch between them on the move.

If you're passing up on this one because some old fans are angry it's not the game they wanted, you may be missing out. In terms of just the amount of fun I've had, this is my best game of 2012
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    Hitman Absolution was made by the people who make Kane & Lynch and NOT the people who made the Hitman games. The people who made Hitman left IO Interactive in 2008. Once you know the makers of Kane & Lynch made this game you realise what went so badly wrong and why it is such a huge f**k up of a game! The creators of Kane & Lynch are obsessed with trying to write a cool edgy HollywoodHitman Absolution was made by the people who make Kane & Lynch and NOT the people who made the Hitman games. The people who made Hitman left IO Interactive in 2008. Once you know the makers of Kane & Lynch made this game you realise what went so badly wrong and why it is such a huge f**k up of a game! The creators of Kane & Lynch are obsessed with trying to write a cool edgy Hollywood movie but they suck at it so badly. Look how poop both Kane & Lynch games were, they are basically 1% of a Grand Theft Auto game but yet still the same price tag, run shoot wave of enemys, run a bit further and shoot some more waves of enemys, repeat for 4 hours untill over with a crap story bolted on to it. They failed with Kane & Lynch twice so should of taken that as a huge hint that maybe their not so good as this game making lark as they thought and that fans dont want a linear poop story driven game, but no, they went for third time lucky, but this time they tried their luck with one of the greatest game franchises ever,Hitman! They either completely failed to understand what made Hitman games so great or just didnt care and were focused on their weird obesession of trying to create a Hollywood action movie type game, as Absolution has had everything that made Hitman great taken out of it to make way for another poop Kane & Lynch type story. There are only really 2 sanbox levels out of 20, i would of said 3 but you visit China Town twice. Then these 2 sanbox levels are very small and split up with checkpoints and can be completed very very quickly (Im talking a matter of seconds here) Sure you can replay them but the levels are so heavily scripted and dull you just wont want to bother like you did previous Hitman games. IO Interactive really need to wake up and stop with all these Hollywood movie story driven games and give us back the big open sandbox playgrounds of Hitmans gone by. Far Cry 3 is a massive success and looking to be Game of the year, why? because its a huge sandbox where people are dropped in and left to go about it as they please, this is exactly what previous Hitmans were and what made the so great. If you want to write a Hollywood movie IO then you should go to Hollywood and make a film or write a book , not destroy a much loved franchise. Remember IO, you wont fool people twice! If people get even a slight whiff that the next Hitman game will be linear or smaller or have checkpoints they wont be buying it. Only reason i bought this game was beacuse im a die hard Hitman fan, i had my worries way before launch after i heard Absolution would be story driven with smaller sandboxs, yet i bought it because im a huge fan and wanted to see for myself. I wish i hadnt gone anywhere near it and deffinitley wont be rushing out to buy or preordering the next Hitman after this terrible addition to the franchise. Expand
  16. Dec 18, 2012
    This just can't be called a Hitman game. I like how some disguises will get you caught by others wearing the same thing, but when you dress as a chicago police officer and get recognized by another chicago police officer... that's insane. Or when wearing a MASK, still recognized... that's insane. As a result, this game is really just sneak, sneak, sneak. One thing I like about the oldThis just can't be called a Hitman game. I like how some disguises will get you caught by others wearing the same thing, but when you dress as a chicago police officer and get recognized by another chicago police officer... that's insane. Or when wearing a MASK, still recognized... that's insane. As a result, this game is really just sneak, sneak, sneak. One thing I like about the old hitman games was the ability to choose what you bring to each level. That's gone. You don't even get to carry the iconic silverballers a lot of the time. No "different" environments like past hitman games, it's all the same area, and the levels seem to just force you down a path, instead of letting you explore. This game got tedious and repetitive FAST. Expand
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    I've been a fan of this series since the beginning and I was eager to see the series get updated for modern times. Absolution improves the gameplay in almost every way. The controls are greatly improved. You are faster, more responsive, and aiming isn't a chore. The cover/stealth mechanic works well. Hiding bodies and using disguises no longer feel like a total crap shoot. The newI've been a fan of this series since the beginning and I was eager to see the series get updated for modern times. Absolution improves the gameplay in almost every way. The controls are greatly improved. You are faster, more responsive, and aiming isn't a chore. The cover/stealth mechanic works well. Hiding bodies and using disguises no longer feel like a total crap shoot. The new Instinct feature is excellent. Using Instinct to blend in and make your disguise work is a great idea. The game is challenging and lets you approach most of the assassination levels however you like. But then, the story is pure, B-movie trash. I don't want to give anything away, but for one of the greatest assassins in history, Agent 47 ends up looking like a fool quite a few times. This story feels like it was intended for a cheesy shooter and should star a totally different protagonist than 47. It's forgettable, insipid, unintentionally funny, full of stupid characters, and it leads to a handful of dumb, non-assassination, story-filler levels that just aren't fun. Worse yet, because of the story elements, you never get to choose your load-out before each mission. If you want a sniper rifle, you better hope you can find one in the level or you're just going to have to do something else. They save it partly by letting the community make their own missions, but it still feels like they missed a big opportunity.
    All in all, I feel the good greatly outweighs the bad. Absolution is fun and challenging. Most of the levels still feel like crazily complex puzzles with numerous solutions and even more numerous ways to fail. But seriously, you will be skipping cutscenes a lot.
  18. May 10, 2013
    The Hitman series is well known for its diversity and choice in the way you play it, the new title, Absolution, stays true to the series and its mechanics but strays away from the original story. The mechanics are simple and easy to use, each mission you have your tools of assassination, you have your targets and map, the map is filled with different ways to eliminate your target and eachThe Hitman series is well known for its diversity and choice in the way you play it, the new title, Absolution, stays true to the series and its mechanics but strays away from the original story. The mechanics are simple and easy to use, each mission you have your tools of assassination, you have your targets and map, the map is filled with different ways to eliminate your target and each target has a connection to the main story and the plot. You don't have to kill anyone else, in fact you are rewarded for leaving people alive and and only killing your specific target without arousing suspicion. The game as I said, is very simple. Environments can tend to be very linear but most are diverse and your have freedom to explore each in different ways. The graphics are very good and the motion capture ensures that you can see every emotion of every character and adds to the effect of the game. The story seems very off course for a Hitman title and throughout I wasn't entirely sure why it existed, personally, alongside many other fans, I would have preferred it stayed to true to the former Hitman games and each mission was a separate assignment effectively. Although the story does seem out of place it doesn't take anything away from the game at all really. So overall, the game is truly a diverse one, it stays true to former titles but adds new exciting features and doesn't disappoint. For this I give it an 8 out of 10. Expand
  19. Jan 27, 2014
    After playing previous Hitmans and really loving them, i just couldn't get into this one as it didn't really feel like a Hitman game at all. It was very linear and more like a Splintercell game, then a Hitman game. I rate the previous games highly, but this one was really bad in many ways.
  20. May 5, 2014
    I got this game free on Xbox live gold and so frustrating.
    The AI is either brain dead or super smart.
    The levels are super short and you can basically run all of them and don't give damn about the enemies and still get a good rating. I'm sure some people will like this game but it's not for me.
    P.s the story is super and you lose it about 1h in to the game.
  21. Nov 21, 2012
    The game itself is solid, but this is not the Hitman game you are looking for. Fans of the series will be put off from the abandonment of key elements of the series.
  22. Nov 22, 2012
    Trades off giant free-roam levels for smaller, richer, more liner multi-segmented levels. There is still a fair amount of choice. Gun-play is tighter with shoulder switching, but discontinues the series's realism allowing 47 to holster long barreled weapons. The new point shooting mechanic is good looking and fairly effective but strangely doesn't allow 47 to use when aiming down theTrades off giant free-roam levels for smaller, richer, more liner multi-segmented levels. There is still a fair amount of choice. Gun-play is tighter with shoulder switching, but discontinues the series's realism allowing 47 to holster long barreled weapons. The new point shooting mechanic is good looking and fairly effective but strangely doesn't allow 47 to use when aiming down the sights. Similarly frustrating, 47 can't vault over cover unless he takes cover first.

The contracts mode allows players to customize objectives by recording those objectives during play , publishing, and then challenging other players to beat their score.

I've been playing the game on hard, and it is a very good challenge so far (6 levels in). The disguise system is harder, and forces the player to look for places to blend in or simply avoid those you are disguised as.

The enemy AI is really fun to see in action (i.e. Wife hears noise, tells husband to check it out)

Although I miss some aspects from the old Hitman titles, I feel like this game is still true to the series and is very enjoyable, it would be excellent if it just had 1 more layer of polish for 47's gun-play and cover system.
  23. Nov 22, 2012
    I created an account just to review this game. I'm sorely disappointed. It's not a terrible game. It just isn't "Hitman." Blood Money was very open and allowed you a lot of flexibility in not only how you killed your targets, but in what order. The game dropped you into a level, told you who to take out and you figured out ways to do it. Disguises made you invisible. It wasn't extremelyI created an account just to review this game. I'm sorely disappointed. It's not a terrible game. It just isn't "Hitman." Blood Money was very open and allowed you a lot of flexibility in not only how you killed your targets, but in what order. The game dropped you into a level, told you who to take out and you figured out ways to do it. Disguises made you invisible. It wasn't extremely realistic, but it was fun. After six years I still play that game a few times a month.

This game is nothing like that. Remember the Dance With the Devil level in Blood Money where you had to go to two parties (Heaven and Hell) in that huge building? In Blood Money you could go to either party first or go back and forth between them. You took out targets in whichever order you liked. Dressing as one of the guards allowed you to come and go. Not in this game. If that level were in this game, you would first be given an objective to make it to the garage. Once you go there, there's no leaving. The imaginary door/wall appears and you're stuck. Then it would tell you to go to the "heaven" party. You'd take out your target and then it would tell you to get back on the elevator. You'd go down to the "Hell" party and from there it would tell you to take out your next target. Then it would tell you to leave. By the way, disguises won't help. For some reason every person in the game knows who should be dressed like them. It makes sense with a close knit group like a group of plumbers on a later mission, but makes no sense that every cop in Chicago would know one another. Logic would say that you should just pick a costume that no one around you has on, but that's not an option. There is always a mix of people walking around. So that forces you to use "Instinct Mode." That's 47's magic power to hold his hand over his face and lower his head so that no one recognizes him. Apparently it is very tiring so he can only do it for 30 seconds before you run out of "instinct." (How is that even possible?) You'll find yourself in cover most of the time. You can't pick your weapons, you can't modify your weapons and just about everything you do makes noise. I shot someone with a silenced Silverballer and a guy about 50 feet away radioed "We have a report of gunfire." I stabbed someone and the guy in the other room heard it. Most of the levels seemed designed as if they want you to have a firefight. Even when you take everyone out a message pops up "Backup has arrived." It's frustrating because there isn't even a save feature like before. If you die before you find one of maybe two or three checkpoints then you have to start all over. I used to love just walking around a level in disguise and trying to find new ways to take people out. That's gone. Be somewhere that the game doesn't want you and you'll be spotted. Once the alert is up, that's it. Restart. It's less Hitman and more Kane and Lynch 2.
  24. Nov 22, 2012
    I like this game a lot. Although, they made the game a little more mainstream in regards to gameplay. It's still fun and challenging. I recommended purchasing it and get your friends on it too cause contracts mode is pretty fun. There isn't any game like it right now.
  25. Nov 22, 2012
    As a long time fan of the Hitman series this new outing is very disappointing. Graphics: This game looks good and you can tell they have worked on the visuals. Overall the game looks very good and the whole game runs smoothly. Sound: The game sounds great from the sounds of the weapons to the music. The only annoying things is some of the voice actors voices got on my nerves but I thinkAs a long time fan of the Hitman series this new outing is very disappointing. Graphics: This game looks good and you can tell they have worked on the visuals. Overall the game looks very good and the whole game runs smoothly. Sound: The game sounds great from the sounds of the weapons to the music. The only annoying things is some of the voice actors voices got on my nerves but I think that has to do more with their personalities than anything. Gameplay: The most important element of any game and this is what disappoints me most about Hitman Absolution. The first thing that annoys me is that for this doesn't feel like a Hitman game. The most obvious criticism is that too many of the levels are linear, which goes against what the Hitman series is about. There are sandbox style levels but for me they felt too small and restricted in comparison to previous Hitman games. There is a checkpoint system within the game that does't need to be there. The most annoying thing about the checkpoint system is that as soon as you pass a checkpoint you usually can't return to the area you have previously visited. The suspicion metre in this game is extremely annoying. It's amazing how many Chicago cops know each other. This disguise system makes it extremely difficult to pass anybody that is wearing the same uniform as you and especially if they are guarding an elevator. You can use instinct mode to evade suspicion but if you are playing in the hardest setting which I did then it only last for a while. The melee combat is extremely frustrating, every time you want to attack someone you have to enter an annoying quick time event which gets boring very quickly. This game has moments of brilliance and at times I realised why I fell in love with the game but overall I just felt disappointment . You can tell the developers wanted to broaden their audience for the new Hitman but in doing that they have compromised on what made Hitman great. Overall impressions:

I've had some fun with Hitman Absolution but overall I'm very disappointed in the latest outing. If this was a brand new game and had no association with the Hitman Franchise then I might have enjoyed it more but it was not to be. Some people will enjoy this game but for me I am extremely disappointed and Im hoping any future Hitman game is a lot better.
  26. Nov 23, 2012
    Being part of the Hitman fan base, let's just say I eagerly awaited that Tuesday morning when I could pick up my copy. This is one of the finest, yet one of the most disappointing Hitman games (in certain areas) I've played. I don't usually compare games to a previous one, as each is meant to be different from the last, apart from Halo. Halo never changes. The first point I've got to make,Being part of the Hitman fan base, let's just say I eagerly awaited that Tuesday morning when I could pick up my copy. This is one of the finest, yet one of the most disappointing Hitman games (in certain areas) I've played. I don't usually compare games to a previous one, as each is meant to be different from the last, apart from Halo. Halo never changes. The first point I've got to make, is to not expect a Blood Money replica, where finding random donuts to poison FBI agents in a van that's as hidden as a turd on a white rug. I found when first playing Absolution, that I ironically couldn't find any differences, it was only as I progressed I picked up on the little and big things. Mainly, the ways and means to finish someone isn't the same. Shooting out skylights to turn your victim into a human milkshake, or replacing a replica firearm with a real one to make it look like an accident, or even something as small as dropping weights onto someone's neck, isn't in the game anymore. I know I said I wouldn't compare between games, but these were the key elements to the Hitman franchise, the fun factor in finding the different ways. Yes, don't get me wrong there are still ways and means of taking out your target, but it's either a simple shot to the head, with no consequences [if not seen] or a simple garotting, although there are some small creative ways, but nothing compared to what they used to be. As for as the stealth matter goes, I think Absolution got this perfect. There's nothing more satisfying than hiding in a wardrobe, watching your victim snort a line of poisoned cocaine, then casually leaving the building and blending into the crowd, speaking of which, Absolution pretty much stole that aspect from Assassins Creed, but I'm not complaining. Taking someone out, blending into a subtle atmosphere and making your way, away from the crime almost makes you turn the camera to the front of 47 as you watch yourself walk away, like some sort of blockbuster hit. The one fault I'd find with the stealth is the crouching/hugging the wall approach. Countless times I've been crouched against a box and an NPC has walked past without even noticing me, when clearly staring at me. I've had Police Officers brush past my suit while I'm clasping my Silverballers, without even so much as a blink. The AI, this is a tricky one. Absolution has clearly had lots of work done to it with regards to NPC's, they've doubled in numbers, they do more realistic little jobs, such as fixing cars, eating sushi or even selling fruit on the market, compared to the original "Let's stand at a door with a terrible grin" approach they once had. The NPC's react to any hostile situation and it actually makes you panic, or feel under pressure. When having numerous guards fire at you, the sudden crashing and screaming of the NPC's, followed by a stampede towards to door, makes you think about where you need to run next, either with the crowd or without, choosing with usually ends in a blood bath if you like that. My only issue is the disguises. When dressed as a gardener around Police Officers, they'll pay no attention to you, they'll even wish you a good day, but when dressed as a gardener around gardener's, a simple hat over the face doesn't suffice anymore. I find them to be too suspicious too easily, and although it adds pressure to the game, it ruins the moment when you're walking through a hallway, stalking a target or even getting from A-B and having to duck and dive into each corner and crevice. Blending into the surroundings with the push of a button is all good but as soon as that bar depletes, you're on your own. Overall, I can't bad mouth the AI, they're more realistic than ever and they do make the game feel that bit more special. I'm not really much of a soundtrack person, but when you're standing on a platform in a train station with numerous Police Officers looking for you in the crowd, that high pitches violin and low bass adds a lot of pressure when you're waiting sixty seconds for your escape. Simply walking into a new environment and the sudden instrumental is almost like a warm hug when you walk into a room. You know where you are, you know why you're there, and what you have to do. My last point; the graphics. Absolutely outstanding, well done to IO. The precision in cut scenes, in 47's face, in the little bits of scenery, they're amazing. Explosions, gun fire, glass shattering, blood flow, and skull cracking has all been worked on and you can tell. 47 even gets dirty and cut now! The 'rag doll' system on enemies dropping dead or being dragged along, actually makes you feel the weight as you're pulling them, you feel the thud as they hit the floor from a fatal shot to the chest. It's those small tweaks that have made 47 into a bad ass. My only problem with 47 - He's become more caring. There's actually a scene where he hugs someone! Go back to the cold hearted bastard that we love. Expand
  27. gsn
    Nov 24, 2012
    I am a big Hitman fan, played the first Hitman: Codename 47 when it first came out way back before the rating system and you can killed everybody in the box (just not the civies). Ever since then, I have owned every single Hitman game, including Contracts and this Absolution. It was not until Blood Money where a coherent story line was put into place, you know, in the form of theI am a big Hitman fan, played the first Hitman: Codename 47 when it first came out way back before the rating system and you can killed everybody in the box (just not the civies). Ever since then, I have owned every single Hitman game, including Contracts and this Absolution. It was not until Blood Money where a coherent story line was put into place, you know, in the form of the wheelchair guy telling 47's story to his own death while attending the funeral of a "dead" 47. Absolution ramped up the story telling department, involved more voice-acting for more characters (no more "Alarm, alarm!" or "backup, I need backup"), fancier graphics that would strain your i7 cpu/ Physix core, and a "multi"-single player mode that serves as a bragging right, sort of. I will start on THE BAD. THE BAD: A semi-working challenge and checkpoint system that would choke the living fibrewire out of the perfect hitman. This is especially horrible for those "stacking" challenge where you have to kill this many goons in this certain ways. Some are easy to stack but some are just hard. To make things worse, it is bugged to reset itself halfway through the challenge ALTHOUGH once you complete one challenge to a full bar, it stays completed. Speaking of choke/checkpoint, it resets the AI routine to the beginning of the level and some AI activities have to be triggered by 47's proximity to the AI(s). So, you might find yourself in an infinite waiting loop like me waiting for the AI to finish his phone conversation just to realize that I did not trigger the speech. THE BAD 2: AI detection skill. More like 47 detection skills by AI. Since you no longer look at the lovely map to know the place, you have to rely on either A) killing everybody and burn the blueprint of the level to your mind, or B) acquiring disguise to scout the patrol or the death/accident walk of the target(s). Except you sort of cannot do it like how you have done it so many times in Blood money. If the level is swarming with patrols, you have better to just stick with your suit because you arouse and accumulate suspicion meter every second that any patrol maintain line-of-sight with you. THE WORST part is when the game forced you (not a boss fight chokepoint but a regular design oversight chokepoint like the one in Descent level) to a chokepoint that stands between you and the person that you must drop, and you are torturing yourself with the Professional difficulty. To sum up the BAD, the entire game plays like Splinter Cell (yea, 47 can now run while bending his back and bending his back to stealth mode is not any slower than his walking speed). Also, THERE IS NO LOADOUT FOR 47!!! At least in campaign mode which is definitely a big upset to do funny business by starting with a sniper with case. Now THE GOOD: The new "Multi"-single player mode is basically identical to the gameplay of Hitman-Contracts. If you blame the specific contract is too linear, then blame the creator of the contract because he/she chose the setup (i.e. which level, who is/are the target, disguise or which killing weapon, etc). Personally, I think it is a good way or at least give you a good reason to explore the parts of the level if you have missed it while trying to play a perfact campaign playthrough. Also, this is the only way you can earn "real" blood money to "upgrade" your collected weapons (that's right, even the collected weapons can be improved) and subsequently start a mission/contract with it. So, in every sense, the Contract mode is more faithful to the previous Hitman games than the campaign. THE GOOD 2: Improved graphics and gameplay**. I am thankful enough to own a rig that can throw out a decent FPS and Hitman has set a benchmark like how it did in the first game when it came out (the time when overall graphics was worse than your first xbox games). The rating system was in real time and you would know immediately if you have been seen. I have had good times playing knives only missions and if the AI "works"***, it works (i.e. no more easy funneling/camping in the store/restroom like blood money) minus the detection flaw mentioned above. Oh, you can no longer distrupt any AI routine by walking behind them and making them turn around, you cannot do that anymore to get easy exploit. While we are on subject, the AI is much more harder to exploit than in Blood Money. This is simply because they can see through your disguise like in Hitman: Silent Assassin when you were standing there doing nothing. OVERALL: Hitman: Absolution is fun to play. The campaign itself does not have the same replayability that it does in Hitman: Blood Money but the Contract mode is extremely addictive. Blood Money is a sandbox but Absolution has this leading levels like in the first and the second Hitman games that lead on to the major target level. However, if you are like me, it would take at least 10 hours for the first playthrough in Absolution with the broken "save" system. Thank you for reading. Expand
  28. Nov 27, 2012
    I am registering to metacritic to write a review for this game - just because there are too many weird negative reviews that do no justice what this game is. Have people lost their minds?

The game is excellent. I recently bought and played Dishonored, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Fallout 3. Max Payne 3 was a boozed-out slugfest, and very formulaic. The game missed the spirit of the earlier Max. But still, not a disaster. But not great. Mass Effect 3 - I had fun playing it. Don't care for the save the galaxy crap, but like a true fan, liked the first few levels, especially the one on the Turian planet, and a few characters. Wasn't 'outraged' by the ending. Skyrim - didn't care for the dragon crap, but had some fun playing the main mission. Fallout 3 - was too grey and monotonous. Dishonored - was the game I liked the most of the lot, but thinking back, there are parts which didn't move me much. What was great about Dishonored were the character models, the artwork and the level design esthetics. I liked the climb-back from Corvo's downfall, where he gets dumped in the Flooded district amidst the Weepers.

Hitman, I would place at the top of this entire pile. As a gamer, you'd always think how unrealistic many of 3D FPS settings always have been. How most worlds we saw shorn of detail, had no objects you could interact with, had all kinds of HUD hand-holding interface elements. In short, the lack of realism that would cruelly distract from the gameplay one enjoys as a gamer, but can yet not convey to the casual onlooker because what confronts him or her is the stark unconvincing unrealism. All that is gone with Hitman. Imagine bustling crowds as far as the eye can see, or imagine rustling corn shoulder-high in a field, or a mid-western US small town junkyard - you'll be there. One can only imagine a Deus Ex set in such a world.

Of course, there are small glitches and distractions. But you have throw yourself into a game and enjoy it first. Your rating score is useless otherwise. That is what most of these low scoring reviews here represent. Bunch of insincere, complaining seekers of nostalgia, if anything else at all.

Hitman is a landmark game that deserves gamers' appreciation. It has its flaws - perhaps the weird save system (can be downright frustrating if you goof up and get yourself killed) and the structuring of the story narrative where control is taken away from the player on occasion. But who gives a damn if the game works? The 'cinematicism' does not, and cannot detract from the game.
  29. Nov 27, 2012
    Let me just say I love the hitman series. This is not hitman Blood Money 2. It does take parts from the previous hitman games and combine it into one game. For me, i wouldnt want a blood money sequel with improved AI and new storyline. It then would be a COD game where you just change little things in sequels. I believe the story is really good. I find it keeps me into the game more thanLet me just say I love the hitman series. This is not hitman Blood Money 2. It does take parts from the previous hitman games and combine it into one game. For me, i wouldnt want a blood money sequel with improved AI and new storyline. It then would be a COD game where you just change little things in sequels. I believe the story is really good. I find it keeps me into the game more than blood money. The design of the levels are amazing along with the graphics that go along with them. The gameplay is fun. It is not like blood money but it is still good. You need to be sure to look at the notebook and look at the many ways you can kill your targets. Contracts mode is a plus. People are so creative with their assassination missions. I give the game a 8 out of 10 but because it seems like people gave it a 0 out of 10 because the game isnt a blood money sequel, i gave it a 10/10 Expand
  30. Nov 28, 2012
    I had to register in order to write a review appropriate for this game that I've yet to read. Hitman: Absolution offers a linear story that is much more story driven than previous iterations. Whether or not that is a different approach for earlier Hitman games is irrelevant due to the fact that IO interactive knew what they were going after and nailed it. The intensity of 47's role asI had to register in order to write a review appropriate for this game that I've yet to read. Hitman: Absolution offers a linear story that is much more story driven than previous iterations. Whether or not that is a different approach for earlier Hitman games is irrelevant due to the fact that IO interactive knew what they were going after and nailed it. The intensity of 47's role as Victoria's protector makes it all the more engaging in my mind. I find that some of the missions, Hunter and Hunted for example, were far too long to be a single mission but the way they broke them up by parts that all have individual scores makes replaying them sound a lot better. One other legitimate complaint is the disguise system; I know they attempted to create a "third party" factor for optimal incognito but it took it a little far. Dress as a cop, fellow cops call you out almost instantly if you don't instinct prior to being in their line of sight. Dress as a goon or any disguise that is part of a group of people and they'll be suspicious of you and the only way to solve that is by either "hiding" by doing a task that fits that identity or using instinct. While it makes sense, seeing as you should know the people in your clique, it got a little out of hand during some missions. Back to the key points, Contracts mode is a perfect addition to Hitman, much better than a limited multiplayer like other stealth based games attempt. I don't know if it's just me, but I love being able to queue other peoples contracts and figuring out ways to do it better myself. I will admit a true downfall is only being able to purchase upgrades for your safe house is via an offshore account that is funded for completing contracts. That's no issue for me, but for people that lack internet connections would really get old of grinding IO's contracts for money I'd assume. Now I'm currently on mission 15 out of 20 on Purist, and I've not found nearly any glitches or unusual bugs, contrary to people claiming so. The only problem I've had was on mission 14, I had a hard time getting the QTE for subdueing to proc on a goon. Overall this game is phenomenal and I sincerely recommend it. Expand

1. Mar 6, 2013
    Ultimately, Hitman: Absolution marks a faithful, gorgeous and only occasionally maddening return for a series that’s been gone far too long. It may have trouble finding fans among twitchy gamers with short attention spans, but guns and brains should never be mutually exclusive. And those kids can get off my damn lawn.
  2. Dec 21, 2012
    Absolution is a fantastic addition to a series that defined a genre last generation, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for our favorite bald assassin moving forward.
  3. Dec 17, 2012
    A meticulous, engaging game and accomplished sequel that improves upon its predecessors in an organic way series fans will appreciate. [Jan 2013, p.55]