7.4

1. Oct 15, 2014
    Tired of today's dumbed down, linear and streamlined games?... I know i am. Hitman HD Trilogy is a remastered and refurbished blast from the past containing two fantastic games (and one atrocious game) from the stealth milestone franchise Hitman all thrown together in one box. The three games in this package deal consist of Hitman 2 Silent Assassins, Hitman Contracts, Hitman Blood Money.

Silent Assassins is by far the worst game in the collection, i found Silent Assassins agonizingly difficult to finish but not because of the games challenge, because of the poor design decisions e.g. painfully slow animations, sluggish level progression and just plain boring contracts. despite its flaws i commend it on its story and in depth look at Agent 47, who is usually thought of as an empty and shallow character.

Hitman Contracts was when i finally became engaged in the collection, although glitchy and even counter intuitive at points, Contracts was still that almost puzzle like stealth experience that makes the series great. With Contracts IO-Interactive streamlined the game in comparison to its predecessors without dumbing things down, Contracts improves the experience where it counts such as faster level traversal and increased animation speed creating challenge through complexity rather than challenge through tedium. However that interesting story experience of Silent Assassins is unfortunately absent from contracts leaving a disappointing scar in the games challenging near-perfect entertainment experience.

Hitman Blood Money is the alpha male of the trio, flexing its impressiveness in the face of the other two games as the faint cries of the ugly duckling that is Absolution are heard from a dark corner of the room and a raspy choking of desperation making a sound sort of like 'Gollum..cough, cough..ick...Gollum' while rustling its chains angrily. (Yes!, i consumed something very special to come up with this sentence... *faint snorting sound*). First of all Blood Money is the first in the series to features a noob friendly easy difficulty to bring beginners in easier (such as myself) without going to the extremes of simplicity of Absolution. Blood Money also features a plethora of diverse levels with their own personnel stories that often drop subtle hints to help on your path to the silent assassin rating, but Blood Money still shares one fatal flaw with Contracts the lack of a descent overarching story of any kind although some of your targets have fairly intriguing biographies especially your tutorial contract.

I can't really comment on graphics of any of the games due to the age of the games and my lack of care for graphical fidelity and the various other shiny things you hear PC elitists rant on about but Blood Money is pretty for its age... that's something... I guess, however the soundtrack of the series is truly remarkable, Jesper Kyd is a master of music and he shows the pinnacle of his talents in the early games of the Hitman series.

Overall the Hitman HD Trilogy has made me an instant fan of a franchise that i was originally put off of by the lackluster Hitman Absolution. If your a gamer with patients who likes to work hard for those high rankings then this bargain deal of stealth greatness is a must buy, i would recommened it to anyone if my opinion means anything to you, the reader then you'll take my word for it. Those few flaws present in the trilogy, and that massive flaw that is Silent Assassins, prevent me from granting it a 10 so i think i 9 will easily suffice.

P.S. I apologize for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors within in this review as i am dyslexic and may not have noticed.
  2. Aug 14, 2014
    This was my first introduction to Hitman...I believed the reviews and was excited...3 for the price of 1....how could you go wrong?...One flaw really bummed me for me...Inconsistent and clunky controls...All the careful planning in the world could go up in smoke because of 47 not doing what you expected..You could blast your way out on lower levels...but on higher ones...Max frustration...I looked up You tube replays and copied to the the T...scenes where I was stuck..and on some occasions the controls worked..and on others ..No...Hitman was not a hit for me.. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2014
    I really LOVE these games, they are so unique and have such a lot of replayability. Hitman Blood Money was my favourite of the bunch by far. It's such a shame Hitman Absolution wasn't more like these 3 games.
  4. ERB
    Nov 15, 2013
    Wow three Hitman games in one that is awesome.I love all of the Hitman games because all of them has a fun game play and a good story line.All three Hitman game are good so I recommend you people to buy this game because it is fun playing this game.
  5. Aug 10, 2013
    These first 3 games are masterpieces, especially Hitman Blood Money. Look past the graphics and you will have a whale of a time. I hope they port these to the Playstation Vita.
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    I'm so glad that I discovered these games, they are a gaming masterpiece, especially Hitman Blood Money. It's just a shame that Hitman Absolution was nothing like these games.
  7. Apr 15, 2013
    These games are timeless classics. Just a shame Hitman Absolution was so terrible. If you love open world freedom, then pick this up today, it's brilliant. Nothing else out there like these old Hitman games.
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    Gritty and Bloody is a usual thing for Agent 47 and this trilogy completed all of those bad ass missions throughout the game.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    Were you a fan of any of the pre-Absolution games? Then you will LOVE this HD Trilogy. This amazing package gives you the chance to run through 47's adventures all over again, except in crisp 1080p. The years haven't been too hard on Silent Assassin and Contracts. They both feel great to play. And although the cut scenes look very dated, the overall game play visuals do not look bad at all. I hope IO Interactive take note of these old games, they were pure genius and a great challenge. Absolution wasn't a bad game at all, but if they combined elements from both Absolution and the original trilogy, we would have a SPECIAL game indeed. If you are not a Hitman fan, I would recommend passing on this unless dated visuals and tough gameplay doesn't put you off. Collapse
  10. Feb 9, 2013
    This outstanding trilogy is exactly what all games need to be like! IO Interactive did an amazing job in giving the power to us, freely decide the fate of our target. And the great part about it is we can go back over it again again and guaranteed it will be a different every time! This franchise is definitely in my top 3 franchises of all time!!! Now me every other Hitman fan will admit that they took a completely different turn with ABSOLUTION which unfortunately wasn't up to the level of these legendary classics, but still had the same roots hidden within, which made it great! but if you really want to experience Agent 47 at his finest, then get this glorious HD Trilogy!!!! Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2013
    Now THIS is how Hitman should be! Lets hope IO Interactive sit down and play these games over and over before making another Hitman game. There are some problems, people who already bought Hitman Blood Money on the Xbox 360 in 2006 wont be happy to realise they have used the EXACT same 2006 version for this trilogy instead of making it look even more prettier and upgrading it some more. The controls on Contracts and Hitman 2 are still clunky like the originals, you would of thought they would of fixed those. Lets hope IO Interactive deliver Blood Money 2 next, us fans have waited 7yrs, please dont disappoint us with another Absolution IO! Expand
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    The Hitman Series is amazing, brutally and gritty, One of my personal Favorite game franchises of all time, Would Definitely Recommend if U haven't played a Hitman game before, OR IF U FOUND ABSOLUTION DISAPONTING, LOVE HITMAN CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT GAME, Ohh and the game has very clunky controls, just saying
  13. Feb 13, 2013

1. Apr 28, 2013
    While some might pine for the older, stiffer and more difficult Hitman games, the HD Trilogy makes a strong argument that each iteration was a step towards something truly great.
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    A plain remake of the classic games, bringing just higher display resolution, remaining the original gameplay intact with all its good and bad. This is a thing for fans, collectors and gaming historians that are not afraid to go through their nostalgic memories.
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    You can throw poison sausages at people and dress up as a clown. [May 2013, p.85]