7.6

1. May 11, 2012
    This is a very solid title that can be enjoyed by any age. It's nothing special but excells at what it's trying to do. It's a shallow "Monster Rancher" style game where you explore some of the locales from the film, collect items and well..train your dragon for the arena. It's passable graphically and the mechanics are there despite some camera issues in explore mode. Definitely worth aThis is a very solid title that can be enjoyed by any age. It's nothing special but excells at what it's trying to do. It's a shallow "Monster Rancher" style game where you explore some of the locales from the film, collect items and well..train your dragon for the arena. It's passable graphically and the mechanics are there despite some camera issues in explore mode. Definitely worth a look if you or your kids are big fans of the film. Expand
  2. Jun 22, 2014
    Riding dragons is fun if you are familiar with the controls on the Xbox 360. It takes a little while to get good at flying, my 7yo son took to it immediately with great skill. It took me longer and was much clumsier, but within and hour got pretty fluid and elegant in style. We played this game on the PC/Mac laptops for years on the Cartoon Network website, and loved it. This is almost aRiding dragons is fun if you are familiar with the controls on the Xbox 360. It takes a little while to get good at flying, my 7yo son took to it immediately with great skill. It took me longer and was much clumsier, but within and hour got pretty fluid and elegant in style. We played this game on the PC/Mac laptops for years on the Cartoon Network website, and loved it. This is almost a direct translation to the XBOX (and other game console) platform. The advantage of this platform is that you can play together.

If you love Hiccup, Toothless and friends you can enjoy playing games together (multiplayer-local) and flying around Berk. There are achievements and incentives to keep playing and getting more adept at flying. We probably won't play this game for years more, as there are others that are more captivating long-term but it is fun especially after just seeing the movie, which was excellent all round.

1. How to Train Your Dragon plays like it has the potential to be a great family game as well as one of the better movie tie-ins releasing this year, especially for the fantasy-driven children in your family.
  2. To shallow for teens or adults, too overwhelming for kids, and too mind-numbingly repetitive for everyone, How to Train Your Dragon sets the bar pretty average for the rest of the movie license line-up coming this year.
  3. Yet another licensed yawn-fest where neither missions nor collecting of silly items is any fun, at all. Not even for the younger gamers, sadly.