7.4

1. Oct 6, 2010
    This is the first time in a computer game where the water is not just a pretty effect, I didn't think it was actually possible, its stunning. I cant imagine how difficult it is to deal with the sheer force of the water that the player is subjected to, this is some impressive tech. Clearly without the water the game has some flaws, but the water is the game and was so drawn in by the waterThis is the first time in a computer game where the water is not just a pretty effect, I didn't think it was actually possible, its stunning. I cant imagine how difficult it is to deal with the sheer force of the water that the player is subjected to, this is some impressive tech. Clearly without the water the game has some flaws, but the water is the game and was so drawn in by the water physics that the other issues didn't spoil my experience. I suggest for the next outing they deal with general feedback to the player and controls. Expand
  2. Oct 6, 2010
    For an XBLA title Hydrophobia really does raise the bar. Although the game is fairly short, around 6 hours, it offers an experience akin to a full release game. It's very rare a game can do something that makes you want to show your friends and family - but the first time you see the water in action is one of those moments. The water physics is closest thing to real water ever seen in aFor an XBLA title Hydrophobia really does raise the bar. Although the game is fairly short, around 6 hours, it offers an experience akin to a full release game. It's very rare a game can do something that makes you want to show your friends and family - but the first time you see the water in action is one of those moments. The water physics is closest thing to real water ever seen in a game - and a generational leap over what has been seen before. The water is also graphically well realised and, in general, the visuals are of a very good standard. The gameplay might present more of an issue for some players - it's clear that its not a traditional 3rd person shooter - the protaganist, Kate Wilson, is not presented as a do-it-all hero who is trying to take on the enemy in a full on fire fight. Rather, she is using her knowledge of the environment to defeat the Malthusians, the eco-terrorist enemy that are trying to destroy the ship. The way Kate does this is with environmental attacks - using exploding barrels, shorting electrical substations to turn the water into a electrical death trap and breaching high-pressure gas lines to set fire to the terrorists. The most satisfying is using the force of water to drown your enemies. Opening doors and smashing windows can cause the flow of water to change dramatically and sweep your foes away. If you like games that lead you by the hand from action to action then Hydrophobia might be a little frustrating. It does some times require the player to explore more than many may be used to.

There are some niggles - controls are sometimes not as good as they could be. The lack of a HUD for health and oxygen levels can also be frustrating. The audio is forgettable too.

I have given is such a high mark because the water is truly amazing and the game is trying something new. Its very much worth playing the trial which will give you the chance to experience the whole of act1 - which in some ways is a pity, as acts 2 and 3 are much stronger.

If you are tech junky when it comes to games then it is a must see.
  3. Dec 14, 2010
    I love this game!! The physics of the water make it so original, making every tiny movement seem that little more unique and it's so beautiful! Also, the use of water as a partial weapon make confrontations with the terrorists a lot more exciting than the generic cover and shoot!! A definite recommended game!
  4. Dec 20, 2010
    Perhaps a bit unpolished in its release state, but for such a small studio and at such a small asking price, I struggled to find complaint. Just finished the game, but can't wait to see what the patch brings
  5. Dec 21, 2010
    I thought this game was okay the first time around, if a little frustrating. However after playing the "Pure" update today I have to say the game is now awesome. What a brilliant update, the game plays so much more smoothly and all the brilliant and unique gameplay which was under the surface before is now bursting through. Brilliant arcade game, very unique experience!
  6. Sep 29, 2010
    The water is really incredible, flowing through smashed windows and doors - wiping out whatever it comes into contact with. I've really never seen anything like it. I liked the way the gameplay supported the main characters persona, she's not a gun totting action hero, instead she's a normal person stuck in a bad situation. As such, she's pretty crap at combat, forcing you to use your witsThe water is really incredible, flowing through smashed windows and doors - wiping out whatever it comes into contact with. I've really never seen anything like it. I liked the way the gameplay supported the main characters persona, she's not a gun totting action hero, instead she's a normal person stuck in a bad situation. As such, she's pretty crap at combat, forcing you to use your wits to take out the enemies (who are lethal!) Basically this means that instead of running around shooting people, you run around setting off environmental hazards to take them out, using your energy gun to set up traps - like shooting an oil barrel next to a window with lots of water on the other side. The barrel explodes, knocking out the window and setting fire to everthing, the water then carries the fire down towards your opponent and sets them on fire. I thought this worked really nicely. There's a lack of any really taxing water flow puzzles which surprised me, but then it struck me, that the combat itself is kind a like the puzzle if that makes sense - something you need to think about and work out to progress.

The story was another strong point, there's a lot of depth there, and I liked the characters. It's not without its flaws, it ends pretty abruptly, and there's a few control and sign posting issues, but on the whole I thought this was a really great atmospheric game. Definatly worth a look if you want to try something a bit different.
  7. Dec 31, 2010
    I refrained from buying this game when it first came out due to mixed reviews, but then the Devs made this almighty update now named Hydrophobia Pure, so I decided to give it a go, 800 points I paid for a wicked game, an XBLA game that could quite easily survive on the shelves in store. The game play is good, easy to control, didn't get lost once thanks to the objective marker, all in allI refrained from buying this game when it first came out due to mixed reviews, but then the Devs made this almighty update now named Hydrophobia Pure, so I decided to give it a go, 800 points I paid for a wicked game, an XBLA game that could quite easily survive on the shelves in store. The game play is good, easy to control, didn't get lost once thanks to the objective marker, all in all a great game and all the previous comments that put me off before seem to have been fixed. I was immersed in gameplay for hours. For the price its a bargain. And For anyone to go to such effort in a free update then im behind it 100%! If only other Devs would follow suit hey! Expand
  8. Dec 14, 2010
    Still cant believe that water so dynamic is possible on XBLA its an absolute first. It did take a while to get use to the controls, particularly the climbing and getting into cover without the gun I died quite a few times, but overall really enjoyed the combat especially the underwater sections.
  9. Dec 16, 2010
    The water physics are amazing - surely a first on any console! I love the location work, and the environmental kills are superb once you realise what you can do with them. I'd shoot the faux Scottish bloke though!
  10. Dec 21, 2010
    Liked this game before, love it now. The water and the action is so original, you can have loads of fun playing around with the different ways of taking down enemies. Loses a point for polish in terms of voice acting and presentation, but for a small arcade game it's the gameplay that counts and that aspect rocks!
  11. Dec 27, 2010
    I already liked the game, it's originality and many features but with this update it gets even better. I do really appreciate a developer spending so much time to improve and fine-tune their game following the suggestions of the users.
    It's a very good and solid game and the price is really low for what you get, definitely not to be missed!
  12. Jan 1, 2011
    I just downloaded Hydrophobia after reading all the Press on the Pure patch. I thought I would give it a go. To this point Hydrophobia had kind of passed me by. I wrote off the original game after reading some of the bad press and didn't download the trial. But hey, devs that go to this much trouble deserve some recognition. I am not in a position to rate the improvements in the patchI just downloaded Hydrophobia after reading all the Press on the Pure patch. I thought I would give it a go. To this point Hydrophobia had kind of passed me by. I wrote off the original game after reading some of the bad press and didn't download the trial. But hey, devs that go to this much trouble deserve some recognition. I am not in a position to rate the improvements in the patch (against the old version). What I can say is I played a polished adventure (more adventure than first person shooter) & I have not enjoyed a game as much as this since Uncharted 2 on PS3. Sure Scoot was irritating (in fact the voice acting is bloody awful) and the ending was a bit sudden. But this was a game that had me on the edge of my seat for - what; around 5 hours - I can't wait for the next installment. The water effects were outstanding. The graphics were superb. I had no problems with controls, cameras or combat. For 800 points this is a steal! Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2010
    The first version was amazing and so is the Pure version. Totally love this game. The script and gameplay is pure genius. Movie worthy i reckon. Sign Jolie up to play as Kate!
  14. Dec 31, 2010
    I think the bad reviews are un-just for 800points its good - update has made a masive difference, i wasn't that keen first time round. It was good but not brilliant, the changes made fix those little niggles and make it fun! Awesome game im giving 10 based on the patch.
  15. Oct 3, 2010
    I've been playing this game all weekend and it just gets better and better with each play now I've got used to the controls which were a bit awkward at first. I've never seen water in a game that moves like this it really is quite an amazing bit of technology going on there and its on xbla!!!!! There have been times I've actually been holding my breath for Kate. Scoots accent is a littleI've been playing this game all weekend and it just gets better and better with each play now I've got used to the controls which were a bit awkward at first. I've never seen water in a game that moves like this it really is quite an amazing bit of technology going on there and its on xbla!!!!! There have been times I've actually been holding my breath for Kate. Scoots accent is a little annoying but he does come out with quite a few funny oneliners every now and then. Well done to the Devs for making a new original exciting game I cant wait for the next installment. Expand
  16. Dec 5, 2011
    MAKE HYRDROPHOBIA 2! THIS GAME IS SUPER! And its a true tomb raider competitor. It gets better by the minute with true suspense. Very good price as well.
  17. Dec 15, 2010
    I loved playing this game, especially replaying different sections to attempt alternative methods and strategies of taking down the enemies. The water physics alone make this worthy of a purchase, but there is great fun to be had with the combat!
  18. Dec 16, 2010
    Great game, awesome quality for XLBA. Water physics stunning, a great technical achievement. A few niggles with controls and cameras but nothing that really gets in the way of the experience,.
  19. Dec 16, 2010
    Really enjoyed playing hydrophobia, I find the bad reviews to be a little unfair to be honest. The water really is the highlight of the game, looks fantastic. The production values are very high for an XBLA title, a lot of gameplay for not a lot of cash.
  20. Dec 19, 2010
    This game was recommended to me by a friend and I wasn't expecting anything special as it is just an XBLA title but I couldn't have been more wrong. Hydrophobia really has set a new standard for XBLA games - the water is a thing of beauty that has to be seen to be seen to be believed. It swells and sloshes around like a malevolent but mercurial entity, helping or hindering your progressThis game was recommended to me by a friend and I wasn't expecting anything special as it is just an XBLA title but I couldn't have been more wrong. Hydrophobia really has set a new standard for XBLA games - the water is a thing of beauty that has to be seen to be seen to be believed. It swells and sloshes around like a malevolent but mercurial entity, helping or hindering your progress at a stroke, producing an unpredictable but entirely enjoyable game-playing experience. Yes it has a few rough edges ( what game doesn't ) but it's well worth the admission price for the water alone. Expand
  21. Jan 2, 2011
    I first played this at Gamescom and really like it, the concept, the mechanics, everything!
    Now with the updated many things have been ironed out for a smoother experience, so we get a great game, an awesome support from developers and a price that's really low for all the game offers!

I really hope to see a new chapter in the not too distant future!
  22. Jan 11, 2011
    I have followed Hydrophobia since the article in Edge magazine ages ago.
    I have followed Hydrophobia since the article in Edge magazine ages ago.
    I didn't play the trial version after reading the Edge review. However after the recent press on what the devs have done with the patch I gave it a try. My first impressions were the trail was amazing. If the original version was anything like this I would have downloaded this one. The game was great - incredible value for 800 points. Btw I do think a lot of XBLA games are too expensive & I don't download too many.
    In many reviews the combat system came in for quite a bit of criticism but for me I loved this aspect. It was the water though that most impressed. The ending yeah, bit sudden but not as crap as the ending to Assassins Creed 2. Hydrophobia is great value for money. I can't recommend it enough.

1. Apr 27, 2011
    It's exciting to see a downloadable game with this much ambition, but if the kitchen sink approach can't do justice to the faucet and the bowl simultaneously, then omit both.
    Hydrophobia Pure is a decent enough game for a downloadable title, but as mentioned feels more like a tech demo for water physics than a fully thought out game. You can see what the developers were aiming for, but it misses the mark in many places.
  3. Feb 16, 2011
    Considering the cost of the game on XBLA, you can certainly do worse when choosing a title to tide you over for a good survival-action game.