5.3

1. Aug 23, 2010
    I enjoyed this game. I was able to beat the single player campaign on normal in just over 3 hours, a very intense, albeit short experience. It is very action heavy with minimal story. I turned off the shaky camera and the graphics suite the action and story well. The story was good, but a little disappointing, *spoiler* especially near the end. The multiplayer is a lot of fun when you canI enjoyed this game. I was able to beat the single player campaign on normal in just over 3 hours, a very intense, albeit short experience. It is very action heavy with minimal story. I turned off the shaky camera and the graphics suite the action and story well. The story was good, but a little disappointing, *spoiler* especially near the end. The multiplayer is a lot of fun when you can find a good game. Most games there is lag and you see people drifting around and floating etc, but when you get a good game with a host with a good connection it is very intense and fun, especially undercover cop, and fragile alliance. Cops and robbers is ok, but pretty much a team deathmatch with loot, I didn't enjoy that mode at all. I am hoping they patch the match making as some times it is difficult to find a game with constant lobby closing, and hosting a game takes far to long to get a full lobby. If they fix the lag issues as well the multiplayer experience would be top notch, but how it is I would only reccommend for fans of the series as most everything needs a slight fix. I really enjoyed the single player, but was left a little disappointment, the multiplayer is fun when it works. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2010
    Huge improvement over the previous game. Single Player is repetitive and is more just a one dimensional cover to cover shooter without all the exciting set pieces that make cover to cover shooters fun. It really only has one exciting level in the game and it is close to the end. Other than that it is just a short romp through the single player. It will take only 4 to 5 hours to completeHuge improvement over the previous game. Single Player is repetitive and is more just a one dimensional cover to cover shooter without all the exciting set pieces that make cover to cover shooters fun. It really only has one exciting level in the game and it is close to the end. Other than that it is just a short romp through the single player. It will take only 4 to 5 hours to complete and that is it, with little to no incentive to go through it again. I actually really like the characters of Kane and Lynch. Both completely psychotic, yet still give you the sense that they are still somewhat relatable characters. It is a shame they cannot get a overall better plot line to work with. I think if they are to make another game, it needs to really rethink alot of the story options

I think the only real saving grace to the game is the awesome visuals. It looks like the whole game is being played on a real crappy camera. It really adds to the gritty overall feel of the game. One thing I still don't agree with is the censorship of headshots and such (it just put a big blur over a persons head when you blow their brains out). Still...you grow to not really care about it.

Co-op story play is a joke, set up very strange and honestly...there are much better co-op shooters out there you can play. The multiplayer is pretty cool and a much different take on the genre and really is the only shining game mode to the game. However, I don't see it drawing you away from whatever AAA multiplayer title you play. Just a simple distraction that can be fun for a day or two then you quickly forget about it.

Overall, Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days is an improvement over the original but still isn't going in the right direction. It is hard to stand out in the shooter genre anymore. While I had some fun with the game, it is nothing I can recommend as a buy. If you want a different multiplayer experience for just a bit, give it a rent. If not..your really not missing anything special.
  3. Dec 16, 2017
    What sets Kane & Lynch apart from the majority of other games out there is that it puts players in the role of violent, morally bankrupt criminals who are only looking out for numero uno. It gives the game the tone of a gritty crime-drama. The kind that would usually make for a successful movie. The grimy locations and unsympathetic, scumbag characters who make up this seedy experienceWhat sets Kane & Lynch apart from the majority of other games out there is that it puts players in the role of violent, morally bankrupt criminals who are only looking out for numero uno. It gives the game the tone of a gritty crime-drama. The kind that would usually make for a successful movie. The grimy locations and unsympathetic, scumbag characters who make up this seedy experience allow the game to have a unique sense of style. Where Dog Days stumbles is in it's gameplay, and it's enough to kill the experience.

The game is presented in a unique found-footage sort of way. It's as if you, the player, are following the characters around with a camcorder. A cool concept, but one that works better in theory than in execution. The grainy visuals and the way the camera shakes when you run do add a sense of believability, but can obscure the action and honestly seems like a way to try and hide the dated graphics. The visuals aren't quite up to par with other 2010 games. The story itself is little more than a "we ticked off everyone" setup. The ending is laughable in it's immediacy. There's a missing final act.

Not that I would've liked to play through any more chapters than what the game has. This is some very flawed 3rd-person cover shooting. Most guns feel underpowered, level design if often haphazard, and there were plenty of time where I was getting shot despite being in cover. Mix in the fact that enemies often take way more punishment than they should and you've got a recipe for some frustrating shootouts. What really sucks though is how basic it all feels. Gunfights feel like a slow game of whack-a-mole as you wait for the numbskull, generic-looking enemies to pop their heads out of cover. These certainly aren't the brightest AI combatants out there. I swear the positions in cover are not organic at all. Sections I was forced to retry often found my attackers going to the exact same place they were before I died. When they do have to move locations it all breaks down. They often just run out in the open or take cover beside a barrier instead of behind it, allowing for easy kills. What caused my death more than anything was the shear number of them, along with the fact that sometimes they'll just bumrush you. The story simply isn't much fun. Even if you decide to bring a buddy along.

Multiplayer fares a bit better. The game really makes use of the whole backstabbing criminal element by allowing you to screw over teammates at any point in the game across all game modes. Unfortunately there's nobody online. This also causes the arcade mode to be rendered practically worthless as well. It puts the larger emphasis on potential treachery in the group, and while you can play with AI, it's just not the same as playing with randoms and constantly looking over your shoulder. You could get some friends together, but that would force all of you to own this crappy game.

With a dull campaign that honestly isn't that gritty or shocking in content, flawed gameplay, and a basically dead online component, there isn't much reason to give Dog Days a look. A shame because there is potential here. It's just not capitalized here very well. Instead of a realistic, dark, and disturbingly violent look at what it's like to be on the other side of the law, what we got is an unremarkable 3rd-person shooter. One that's just not worth playing.
  4. Aug 26, 2010
    First, we can see that the graphics are really differents of others games. It is "bugging". Also, it is not realist at all. The targets seems to be made in metal, sometimes. I didn't like this game at all. I give 3/10 beause it is a good game for the fans and for those who really really really like this style of game.
  5. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm don't see how people are giving this full 10s out of 10, or just over 7/10. How can one even sleep at night for firing a guy because he gave the game 6.5 out of 10? That's Gamespot by the way. But this game seriously lacks in the brains department with its poor plot, its shooting gallery gameplay and horrible looking environments. If I wanted disturbing and reality, I'd play theI'm don't see how people are giving this full 10s out of 10, or just over 7/10. How can one even sleep at night for firing a guy because he gave the game 6.5 out of 10? That's Gamespot by the way. But this game seriously lacks in the brains department with its poor plot, its shooting gallery gameplay and horrible looking environments. If I wanted disturbing and reality, I'd play the Otherworld act of The Darkness, NOT this. Combat is an unbalanced mess where shotguns beat all, meaning you'll not experiment or bother using a "right tool for the job". The multiplayer is its only redeeming factor, because the single player is only 3-6 hours long. A poor effort, and one of Square Enix's worst choices. Though that's not saying much. Collapse

1. games(TM)
    Arguably succeeds more as a mood piece. [Issue#100, p.134]
  2. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is an interesting beast because it really shouldn't exist. Outside of a unique art style it brings nothing new to the genre and does little to improve over the original game, which I might add, was far from a good game.
  3. Its most striking ideas don't fulfil their promise, and its successes are etched by pervasive minor flaws. The towering, terrifying city, and the lens through which it is shot, drag you onwards through the game's lesser parts, but you sense that the real crime in this whole bloody escapade is that it doesn't live up to its dark flashes of imagination.