7.3

1. Aug 27, 2013
    Don't let the white knight reviewers fool you into thinking Killer Is Dead is a bad game due to the sexualisation of women in it. It's not perfect, that's true. The combat isn't as deep as Devil May Cry or flashy as Bayonetta, but it's incredible over the top Suda51 fun. Fighting enemies is fast paced and enjoyable, and on higher difficulties, requires serious skill. I don't use the word often, but Killer is Dead is just awesome. The art style looks amazing, genuinely artistic. Colors are vibrant and flashy, and make Mondo Zappa and co. really come to life. The characters aren't necessarily fleshed out, but it feels like a Tarantino movie in the sense that they don't have to say a lot to know their life story.
    As for Gigolo Missions, they're great too. Before everyone starts screaming MISOGYNIST, get off your high horse and enjoy Killer is Dead for what it is: a flashy, over the top game that's about fighting robots/monsters, and banging buxom babes.
    Killer is Dead is my favorite Suda51 title yet, and I highly recommend it.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    I have been blown away once again by Suda 51. As some of the other positive reviews have stated, there are many elements of the game such as sexualization of women that many are calling out as poor content, but there's a reason why no one can understand it. This game is Art.

Suda 51's career has been focused solely in the production of pieces, rather than games. This, like Killer 7, is
    not a game as much as it is a presentation of visuals, audio, writing, and overall mastery of the craft that is involved in any art based game. While I do agree that the sexualization is sometimes not necessary, it's not put in the game so fans can touch themselves, it's to present the main character as a smooth womanizer who rather than talking, woos women tactically with gifts instead of speech. As he doesn't actively care about these women, he doesn't care enough to talk to them. If there's anything to walk away from this game with is, it's that Suda 51 games are all about context and about artistic value. Do a little research about the Japanese audience, play his previous games, and let the game feel more like a representation, rather than a basic beat'em'up. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is fun. I don't care about the silly plot.The action is great and I'm loving it. The graphic design is a welcoming fresh change. The sound effects and voice acting are very good. The gameplay is varied and at times it is challenging, but not because of an 'artificial difficulty'. This game needs some skill to get through some levels. I don't have the slightness clue why this got low reviews. 10/10 Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    If you like no more heros, killer7, shadows of the damned, or lollipop chainsaw there is something for everyone. The art style of killer7 the combat of no more heros 2 and the sexyness of lollipop chainsaw. What a great game.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    You know it's gonna be an awesome game upon discovering it's a Suda51 title. The people responsible for developing awesome games such No More Heroes will not leave you disappointed with this one, trust me. Maybe it's not as good as NMH in terms of gameplay, and not as complicated as Killer7 in terms of story, but it defimitely deserves a pick-up. Also, I must agree with the other when I say that the reviewers went kinda too rough on this. Grab it, try it for yourself, and fun's guaranteed. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2013
    Awesome game, truly. You'd have to be a pretty boring person to not enjoy it. Fast and visceral action, awesome boss fights and a ridiculous plot, what more do you expect from a Goichi Suda game? If you see comments about loading times it's because they haven't installed it. Go ahead and do that like me, my 'loading screens' are just a flash of text.
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    Killer Is Dead, when it comes to the gameplay, is the best Suda 51 title by far. Everything else? ehhh. The visuals are outstanding but sometimes too chaotic and hard to follow. The music is awful, probably Akira Yamaoka's worst soundtrack yet. The story doesn't know what it wants to be but it's good enough with the unique Suda51 flair. The Gogolo mode that so many reviewers are claiming is the most offensive thing ever is honestly boring and not offensive in any way, there is NO REASON to dock points from the game for it. Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2013
    It's almost impressive how ignorant and pandering the average reviewer is. Of course, it would take far too much thought to realize that "Gigolo Mode" was a rather clever commentary on the lack of depth in video game romance and the typical role of the player character as a "mary sue", a peerless sex god through which one can live out childish fantasies. Far easier to just cry about the evils of sexism so you won't be crucified by misguided feminists. The comparisons to games like Devil May Cry and Revengeance are even more pathetic, and just go to show how uninformed and out of touch these people are. Expand
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    If you aren't a big fan of Goichi Suda, I'd recommend skipping this game. There has been a big hoopla over sexism and related topics, but I simply don't care about that. If anything, I respected the creators more for bucking the trend of sanitizing games and being overly PC. However, the game is plagued with all sorts of issues.

The game's narrative is fragmented and the plot is
    incomprehensible, and that may be a selling point to some (I enjoy games with confusing plots), but it was disjointed in a very bad way. The characters were flat and were beyond "trope-y" into the realm of pure cliche. This can be used to a game's benefit if the developers know how lame their characters are and are acting as a satire. This game is not one of those games. The developers apparently wanted you to unironically think that the characters are cool and hip. The dialogue makes attempts to be mysterious and deep, but just ends up being eye-rollingly bad.

The graphics are another domain in which the game falls flat. Shadows are overused to the point of parody with one of the most unpleasantly pervasive filters in recent memory. However, this is small change compared to the game's major graphical flaw: screen tearing. It doesn't matter how complex an environment is, how many enemies are present, etc there will be screen tearing. It was not a subtle amount either, it was constant and severe. It was terrible enough to the point that I had to pause the game several times because it was making me physically dizzy. In the most literal sense imaginable, I have never played a console game with screen tearing this extreme. I genuinely don't know how it did not get resolved in quality assurance.

I have nothing good or bad to say about the sound. There is a soundtrack, and it is neither noticeable bad enough to mute the BGM, nor good enough to remember any of the tracks later. It is simply there. The voice acting isn't bad, but because of the poor quality of dialogue, no one says anything worth listening to anyway. The game is also hounded with issues of poorly synched dialogue, so if you loved the terrible synching from old Godzilla/Gojira movies, this may be a plus for you.

The gameplay was so-so, overall. The combat is actually pretty solid; however, the constant screen tearing takes away almost any fun I had while in combat. That isn't to say that the combat was stellar, though; if you want a game with great, fast-paced combat, I'd recommend playing a Platinum game instead. The much ballyhooed Gigolo mode was boring and bland. While I can see why the ultra-sensitive crowd is upset about sexism, the average individual will find nothing objectionable (beyond how tedious and simplistic it is). For those that are just so worked up and morally offended they can't bear to play this mode, you are in luck as it is completely optional. The only thing you'll miss out on is a few forgettable sub-weapons and tedium.

All in all, there wasn't a single front where this game did not fail, in my opinion. If you are a huge fan of Suda51, there's nothing I can say to dissuade you from picking this up (and you might even enjoy it), and you are likely reading my review to get angry. For those of you that aren't Suda51 diehards, I'd recommend avoiding this game if at all possible. If you absolutely must try this game, perhaps thinking this game is "so bad it's good" (it's not), or that I'm off base (I don't think I am, but I'm not perfect), then I'd recommend renting it, or seeing as the sales are pretty abysmal, wait 2 to 3 months until it drops to $10-$15 for a used copy.
  10. j3f
    Aug 30, 2013
    Killer is Dead is more than the sum of its parts. 1 part absurd story telling and 1 part fast paced action game. From the opening scene to the vignettes that are each episode, Killer is Dead will leave you with more questions than answers. But that's the point, it gives you just enough to make an educated guess as to how everything ties together. In the end you realize the game is set in a universe where you have to accept that anything is possible. The real fun in the story is theorizing how everything works much in the same way that people theorized the Zelda timeline before the release of the Hyrule Historia. Set pieces and over the top characters make every moment memorable.
    American critics have taken to bashing the game over the head in an attempt to not seem misogynist or out of line with other reviewers. The truth is there is nothing objectionable in the game, not a single nipple is shown in the game. Even the gigolo missions are a satire that is far more tasteful than its source material, James Bond. For one thing you can't sleep with any of the girls until the second date. The gigolo I felt to be very charming, as you have to build up guts in order to make a move to woo your current infatuation. Contrast this with any Hollywood spy movie star who can bed a woman with a snap of his fingers, no romance, no call the morning after. Go too long without see one of the girls, and they'll call you and remind you to spend some time with them, they aren't just some throw away fling. Mondo Zappa, if anything is human with human needs and human weaknesses.
    Combat is fast and furious. If Devil May Cry(1,3, & 4 not DmC) and Bayonetta are the Forza and Gran Turismo of Beat 'em Up's then Killer is Dead is Burnout. Put simply it's a distillation of those winning formulas with a few twists thrown in. You wield a katana in combocentric gameplay, enemies block and you can use a guard break or flank the enemy or move onto to another target. The key to mowing down enemies is to build up massive combos, after reaching as the combometer soars to 10, 20, 50, 100 hit you become a backflipping sword spinning trail of destruction as mondo attacks faster and harder, building up more hits accelerating at an exponential rate. One of the quickest ways to build up a combo is to perform a just dodge which allows you a few seconds to hammer on the x button to score a dozen hits. While similar to Bayonetta's witch time, it doesn't slow down the action because it doesn't last nearly as long and takes you straight to the button mashing action. What it's missing goes a long way to defining what it is. One of the unique things of Killer is Dead is its lack of autotargeting and lock on. Combine this with an arm cannon that runs off your most valuable resource, blood, and you have a great third person shooter. You'll be tempted to take out grunts with a single head-shot and you'll unload volleys into flying enemies. Right below your health meter is your blood meter, which you get from hacking away at enemies, blood allows you to heal, use your robotic arm, and let's you perform adrenaline bursts sacrificing blood to take out a grunt in a single strike(bigger enemies just block you). Killer is dead can be hard, but the quick loading times make restarting quick and painless. The bosses are all unique and some the more memorable do things I've never seen before. Levels are clever and nothing in the game becomes frustrating because of a failure of the mechanics.
    All together Killer is Dead is unique experience that everyone should enjoy. Suda51's brand of story telling is alive and well. Grasshopper Studios executed a superb action game similar and dissimilar to those that came before it.
  11. Sep 16, 2013
    what an awlful start for a game; i've completed 2 missions, scored leaderboards and yet i've did absolutely nothing!! can't believe how a game gets published like this. just remember the start from Farcry 3 folks; that's how you hook someone into a game. I'm a No More Heroes huge fan but i can't bear such lack of attention to game flow anymore.
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    This game is all types of crazy which is to be expected of a suda 51 title. I'm a big fan of his games and own and played them all except killer7. The combat is stylish and fun and the graphics are fantastic. The story is the moat absurd stupid and weirdest thing I've ever experienced but I love it! I know a lot of hate went towards the gigolo missions but they aren't that bad. More often they are funny and you get to stare at and seduce beautiful women (what's wrong with that) upgrades and challenges also are present as well as leader boards giving the game some good replay value and addictive gameplay of getting the best scores. Another plus I might add is if you get the game new it comes with the soundtrack, art book, and dlc pack which is really nice. Overall this game is exactly what I expected from suda 51 style over substance and that's completely fine because you know what... these kind of games are unique and different in a world where most videogames take themselves too seriously. I highly recommend this awesome game if you enjoy fun games or are a big fan of suda 51. It's not his best game but it has his magical demented touch most people will love. 9.3/10 Expand
  13. Aug 30, 2013
    Please ignore the unfair reviews of this game, it's actually very funny how the critics assume this game will somehow offend all women because the women in this game are sexy. I'm female, and I completely ADORE this game. It's a hack-n-slash much like DMC, Metal Gear Rising, and Bayonetta, the cel-shaded art style is gorgeous, and the story is completely campy and insane in the best possible way. What the biased reviewers at Polygon and IGN won't tell you is that the female characters in this game are incredibly competent, some of them are quite intelligent, and some of them can (and do!) even beat up Mondo. Yeah, the dating missions can come off as a bit cheesy to some people, but the whole game is supposed to be cheesy. What a professional reviewer shouldn't do is take off 4 or 5 points out of 10 just because they were offended at a small minigame. Honestly, I'm getting quite sick of this third-wave feminist "SEXY=BAD" mentality in gaming, and I ask you to buy the game for yourself before listening to these foolish "professional" reviews. Collapse
  14. Sep 13, 2013
    It seems that most of the other reviews are either defending the Gigolo mini-games or condemning them. In all honestly, they are just there... A silly mini-game that becomes a total chore if you want related achievements. My issue with Killer Is Dead is that the combat is sloppy. After beating the game 3 times on on Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, the combat never felt satisfying and the dodge mechanic didn't feel properly implemented for all enemies and their attacks. This is coupled with a camera that defaults to a view that is too low to the ground and tends to freak out near any object. This ruins the flow of the combat for a number of reasons: 1. You lose your character constantly in some rooms due to camera freak outs in small space; 2. The camera is so low on some large characters that you cannot see their life bar and constantly need to correct it; 3. The dodging becomes problematic because the camera is always at an angle that makes it difficult to see characters winding up for attacks (some characters have very subtle attack animations). The shooting feels solid until higher levels where the A.I. cheats it's way out of head shot with auto-dodges. The lack of a jump and only having one attack button makes the combat feel shallow and incomplete. There is little depth to the combat.

Add in cool looking but basic level design, and a forgettable story... and you have a fun game that doesn't stick with you. A good game that never gets great. A good game that could have an amazing sequel, but is currently too flawed to wholeheartedly recommend.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    Just traded this in. Thought it would be good but this is a poor poor game. It's obvious it thinks its better than it is with the stupid arrogant storyline. Graphics are really ropey. Probably worth £10. It's gonna be a three from me.
  16. Jan 14, 2014
    Stupid journalists do not understand games. Do not listen to them.

Killer is Dead is a great game. If you are a fan of Japanese style and hurricane slashers, then you must buy this game without a doubt.

About the sexualisation of women in it. I laughed. Play your glamorous Mass Effect with gays and lesbians, stupid idiots!
  17. Dec 13, 2013
    I am done with the most of the game and so far it looks like an O.K rental to play for maybe 5 hours and get some achievements but please don't have high expectations or spend too much for the game.
  18. Nov 14, 2013
    This game has some issues, certainly, but overall this was a fun experience.
    Cons:
    1) Terrible camera and lack of lock-on. Most of the time you will simply be fighting from the side as seen on camera, which creates problems with dodging.
    2) While unique and interesting visuals generally will be in pros, how they handled black in this game is quite bad. There are a lot of areas that are
    dark. Now if they would be simply dark, that would be fine. But they are drawn as dark blue and sometimes this takes half, if not more, of the screen of dark blue. You don't see any shapes inside it as well.
    Pros:
    1) Music. Fits very, very well. Some compositions are worthy of listening outside the game.
    2) Story. Now, it is for the most part unclear. You do have lots of questions "why?" and "What happened before the game started?". Think about Nier, though not as bad. However, if you just stop caring to answer every little question, you will enjoy the story. You get enough information about the main issues, you understand the motives and even some of the main mechanics of this world. It is more than enough to enjoy.
    3) Visual style. Besides black-dark blue areas, colors in this game are mixed in a very interesting way, cell shading looks quite good. Overall, it is simply curios, you don't see such visuals every day, so might as well enjoy it.
    Kind of pro: Battles. While this is not as satisfying as many others hack-n-slash because you are not given that much freedom and creativity in combat, the mechanics are solid. Dodges seems to have no invulnerability frames, which makes you aware of the flow of the combat. About half of the game fighting with regular monsters makes you yawn, because they are weak and are killed simply by whacking at them, with occasional dodge. After that, you get extremely aggresive and tough enemies that often require different approach (or at least are best killed by different approaches), prioritizing targets, and common staff like that from hack-n-slashes. At this point, the combat is interesting. Not the best, but solid and fun. Boss battles are ok, you mostly have seen all their mechanics before. They look good though.
    Overall, worthy experience.
  19. Oct 12, 2014
    Really cool, really playable, and really beautiful. Just prepare yourself for quirk and keep an open mind and you'll have a blast.

You'll either like the story or you won't (and apparently there's a miniscule possibility that you won't even understand it. I'm not rightfully sure what the confusing parts are, but the complaint has been registered by other contributors, so...be aware? I
    guess?) I found it engaging and brutally charming. It kind of forces itself on you, but following in the narrative energy of the game, you don't really mind. ;)

As far as misogyny goes, it's ostensibly very masculine, but it's also pretty wildly and obviously tongue-in-cheek. I personally find the early DMCs, and even bits of Metal Gear (before your brow-crinkle, remember the live action 3-d stripteases in Metal Gear Acid 2. Those were funny as hell, but not on purpose) to be far more subversively insulting to the 51%.

That's the women-folk, for anyone who's still trying to find the ending in Assassin's Creed 1. And velcro shoes, presumably.

I realy don't mean to be a total, superscillious **** but if this engaging little short story is too complicated for you...

(or Nier's, for that matter. Nier story is absolutely brilliant. Pacing aside, it's one of the 25 best game stories ever. Go watch the opening trailer on youtube if you don't believe it. It hooked me before the game started and had me all the way through)

...and if you'd like to understand things with a little more instinctive ease, i highly recommend-- a picture book.

It'll teach you comprehension, linear cognition, character recognition, and focus. Hey, it's how they taught me in pre-school. You could even make yer own flash cards!

Reading is so cool, it even makes video games more fun.

-_-' !%@#&

(Please, don't let someone else's lack of cognitive prowress keep you away from this game, which i gleefully give a solid 7.5 overall. An 8.5 if you really love Suda-sama.

(Tho if i had to choose, i'd probably end up buying Nier again, just so i could lend it w/o ever losing it. It's honestly that good.)
  20. Sep 2, 2013
    Yes, Killer Is Dead is worth the purchase, if you are a fan of the Studio. I agree with many out there, that this game may have focused to much on the experience with Women, but at its core Killer Is Dead tells a wonderful, heart touching story. The combat becomes better and better the more you focus on getting your upgrades and learning how to use them right. While the shooting can feel a bit unnatural it still helps you throughout the game. Some of the End Bosses are weird and absurd, but still fun to fight against. One of my favorite final End Bosses is in this game.

Killer Is Dead is a wonderful game, with great combat and a beautiful story.
  21. Jan 13, 2014
    i don't know what's going on in this game,but i ejoyed the hell out of it !!!it's crazy,funny,with very good voice acting,impressing graphics and gameplay,the battles were awesome and...THAT ENDING!!! (plus Mondo is now on my "hot guys in videogames "list) i love, over the top Suda51 games.
  22. Jan 18, 2014
    It's very hard to recommend Killer Is Dead really to anyone, just because of how easy (for lack of a better word) it is to hate this game. The plot is barely there, and what little of it there is is practically unintelligible (for instance, the phrase Killer Is Dead is repeated at least twice in every mission for no apparent reason); the game's portrayal of women is, on average, a step backwards in gaming's progress towards gender equality, and certain environments (primarily Sound Cloud Inc. and the castle in the Sebastian DLC, should one have purchased the Limited Edition) are practically impossible to see in, making certain sections of the game frustrating from a visual standpoint. There isn't a lot to dislike here, but the game's few faults are pretty large.
    There are also several things about Killer Is Dead that could be left up to every player's personal opinion. Firstly, though poorly handled, the art style as a whole lends the entire game a sort graphic novel feel--to anyone out there who played the incredible No More Heroes games, Killer Is Dead looks like if that art style went from a happy and vibrant teenager to a dark and cynical adult. Combat is hectic and flashy, with neon blues, reds, and purples constantly slicing through the air, and the character models themselves are quite nice to look at, when you can see them--one scene that immediately comes to mind as an example of the good and bad of the graphic design is within the first ten minutes of the game, in which half a character's face is completely in shadow, while the other, robotic half is being beautifully illuminated by the headlights of passing cars.
    The sound is similarly both incredible and difficult to work with; though the game has a few amazing tracks of music, rarely did I have the chance or ability to focus on them, due to the cacophony of sword swings, demonic cries, and gunshots that was always surrounding me. Then, during the cutscenes, which had far less interesting music, I would sometimes have to struggle to hear the character's voices over a slightly-too-loud ambient soundtrack. The voice acting is yet another mixed bag; everyone in the cast, especially insane antagonist David, performs their parts well--it's just that some of those parts could have been portrayed differently. This isn't a problem with the voice actors, but the director--Mika read all of her lines the way I assume the studio wanted her to, but her character as whole was, more often than not, grating.
    Speaking of the characters, nearly everyone in Killer Is Dead is interesting, but could use fleshing-out. In fact, everyone but Mondo and David is, by the end, shrouded in mystery. For the sake of spoilers, I won't go into more detail here, but I will say that players will more than likely want to see more of just about everyone when the credits roll--not necessarily because they like them, but rather because they don't really know who they are.
    The art, sound, and character development are all tough to really talk about, because one simply can't decide whether or not players will consider any one of them as truly "bad". Personally, I was able to look past all of them, and thus don't consider them to be that big of an issue, but--as influenced by the critic and user reviews--that isn't the case for everyone. Unfortunately, one would have to try this game for oneself to truly decide whether or not they could "handle it", for lack of a better phrase.
    Killer Is Dead does have two things going for it, which I'll cover in order of simplicity. The first is the combat--Killer Is Dead is, gameplay-wise, one of the best Grasshopper games I personally have ever played. The controls for the basic combat (not necessarily for a few of the more frustrating side-missions) are tight, simple, and precise, and much of the core game is challenging without being aggravating. The game's small number of bosses are hit-and-miss, with some being forgettable or irritating, and others being fantastic. Episode 4's concluding battle, in particular, ranks among one of my absolute favorite fights in any game, and (again, for No More Heroes players) is similar to climactic challenge of Alice Twilight from Desperate Struggle. In contrast, lots of people were impressed by the finale, but I myself found it too easy.
    The second thing is the payoff. This is not when you beat Killer Is Dead--this is when you understand it (or when you look up an explanation online, if you're so inclined). Quite literally the only reason this game received as high a score as it did from me is because, once one figures out what Killer Is Dead is truly about, the entire game and all of its faults make a lot more sense. Without spoiling anything, I can safely say that every fault in this game except technical ones (graphics and sound) is almost completely intentional...and that one should remember that for the whole game, they are Mondo Zappa.
  23. Aug 30, 2013

1. Oct 3, 2013
    Suda 51's unique off-the-wall style comes at a price, with gameplay, polish and coherence left by the wayside. [Nov 2013, p.77]
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    A classic Suda 51 game, with a unique art direction and a well written story. If you are a fan of Suda you know what to expect here.
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    Not Suda51's best effort.