Killer Is Dead Xbox 360

7.1

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Killer Is Dead, when it comes to the gameplay, is the best Suda 51 title by far. Everything else? ehhh. The visuals are outstanding but sometimes too chaotic and hard to follow. The music is awful, probably Akira Yamaoka's worst soundtrack yet. The story doesn't know what it wants to be but it's good enough with the unique Suda51 flair. The Gogolo mode that so many reviewers are claimingKiller Is Dead, when it comes to the gameplay, is the best Suda 51 title by far. Everything else? ehhh. The visuals are outstanding but sometimes too chaotic and hard to follow. The music is awful, probably Akira Yamaoka's worst soundtrack yet. The story doesn't know what it wants to be but it's good enough with the unique Suda51 flair. The Gogolo mode that so many reviewers are claiming is the most offensive thing ever is honestly boring and not offensive in any way, there is NO REASON to dock points from the game for it. Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    It seems that most of the other reviews are either defending the Gigolo mini-games or condemning them. In all honestly, they are just there... A silly mini-game that becomes a total chore if you want related achievements. My issue with Killer Is Dead is that the combat is sloppy. After beating the game 3 times on on Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, the combat never felt satisfying and theIt seems that most of the other reviews are either defending the Gigolo mini-games or condemning them. In all honestly, they are just there... A silly mini-game that becomes a total chore if you want related achievements. My issue with Killer Is Dead is that the combat is sloppy. After beating the game 3 times on on Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, the combat never felt satisfying and the dodge mechanic didn't feel properly implemented for all enemies and their attacks. This is coupled with a camera that defaults to a view that is too low to the ground and tends to freak out near any object. This ruins the flow of the combat for a number of reasons: 1. You lose your character constantly in some rooms due to camera freak outs in small space; 2. The camera is so low on some large characters that you cannot see their life bar and constantly need to correct it; 3. The dodging becomes problematic because the camera is always at an angle that makes it difficult to see characters winding up for attacks (some characters have very subtle attack animations). The shooting feels solid until higher levels where the A.I. cheats it's way out of head shot with auto-dodges. The lack of a jump and only having one attack button makes the combat feel shallow and incomplete. There is little depth to the combat.

Add in cool looking but basic level design, and a forgettable story... and you have a fun game that doesn't stick with you. A good game that never gets great. A good game that could have an amazing sequel, but is currently too flawed to wholeheartedly recommend.
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    I am done with the most of the game and so far it looks like an O.K rental to play for maybe 5 hours and get some achievements but please don't have high expectations or spend too much for the game.
  4. Apr 15, 2017
    It's a pretty decent game. I picked it up for $5 and I'd say it's worth it at the price (paying over $15-20 would be ridiculous). The story is nonsensical and barely exists, the combat takes a while to get used to and the Gigolo mode is just plain fan-service pandering. The graphics are cell-shaded and dark, kind of like an anime, and the sound in the game is done really poorly. If you canIt's a pretty decent game. I picked it up for $5 and I'd say it's worth it at the price (paying over $15-20 would be ridiculous). The story is nonsensical and barely exists, the combat takes a while to get used to and the Gigolo mode is just plain fan-service pandering. The graphics are cell-shaded and dark, kind of like an anime, and the sound in the game is done really poorly. If you can live with those, you should enjoy this relatively short game. Expand
  5. Jan 18, 2014
    It's very hard to recommend Killer Is Dead really to anyone, just because of how easy (for lack of a better word) it is to hate this game. The plot is barely there, and what little of it there is is practically unintelligible (for instance, the phrase Killer Is Dead is repeated at least twice in every mission for no apparent reason); the game's portrayal of women is, on average, a stepIt's very hard to recommend Killer Is Dead really to anyone, just because of how easy (for lack of a better word) it is to hate this game. The plot is barely there, and what little of it there is is practically unintelligible (for instance, the phrase Killer Is Dead is repeated at least twice in every mission for no apparent reason); the game's portrayal of women is, on average, a step backwards in gaming's progress towards gender equality, and certain environments (primarily Sound Cloud Inc. and the castle in the Sebastian DLC, should one have purchased the Limited Edition) are practically impossible to see in, making certain sections of the game frustrating from a visual standpoint. There isn't a lot to dislike here, but the game's few faults are pretty large.
    There are also several things about Killer Is Dead that could be left up to every player's personal opinion. Firstly, though poorly handled, the art style as a whole lends the entire game a sort graphic novel feel--to anyone out there who played the incredible No More Heroes games, Killer Is Dead looks like if that art style went from a happy and vibrant teenager to a dark and cynical adult. Combat is hectic and flashy, with neon blues, reds, and purples constantly slicing through the air, and the character models themselves are quite nice to look at, when you can see them--one scene that immediately comes to mind as an example of the good and bad of the graphic design is within the first ten minutes of the game, in which half a character's face is completely in shadow, while the other, robotic half is being beautifully illuminated by the headlights of passing cars.
    The sound is similarly both incredible and difficult to work with; though the game has a few amazing tracks of music, rarely did I have the chance or ability to focus on them, due to the cacophony of sword swings, demonic cries, and gunshots that was always surrounding me. Then, during the cutscenes, which had far less interesting music, I would sometimes have to struggle to hear the character's voices over a slightly-too-loud ambient soundtrack. The voice acting is yet another mixed bag; everyone in the cast, especially insane antagonist David, performs their parts well--it's just that some of those parts could have been portrayed differently. This isn't a problem with the voice actors, but the director--Mika read all of her lines the way I assume the studio wanted her to, but her character as whole was, more often than not, grating.
    Speaking of the characters, nearly everyone in Killer Is Dead is interesting, but could use fleshing-out. In fact, everyone but Mondo and David is, by the end, shrouded in mystery. For the sake of spoilers, I won't go into more detail here, but I will say that players will more than likely want to see more of just about everyone when the credits roll--not necessarily because they like them, but rather because they don't really know who they are.
    The art, sound, and character development are all tough to really talk about, because one simply can't decide whether or not players will consider any one of them as truly "bad". Personally, I was able to look past all of them, and thus don't consider them to be that big of an issue, but--as influenced by the critic and user reviews--that isn't the case for everyone. Unfortunately, one would have to try this game for oneself to truly decide whether or not they could "handle it", for lack of a better phrase.
    Killer Is Dead does have two things going for it, which I'll cover in order of simplicity. The first is the combat--Killer Is Dead is, gameplay-wise, one of the best Grasshopper games I personally have ever played. The controls for the basic combat (not necessarily for a few of the more frustrating side-missions) are tight, simple, and precise, and much of the core game is challenging without being aggravating. The game's small number of bosses are hit-and-miss, with some being forgettable or irritating, and others being fantastic. Episode 4's concluding battle, in particular, ranks among one of my absolute favorite fights in any game, and (again, for No More Heroes players) is similar to climactic challenge of Alice Twilight from Desperate Struggle. In contrast, lots of people were impressed by the finale, but I myself found it too easy.
    The second thing is the payoff. This is not when you beat Killer Is Dead--this is when you understand it (or when you look up an explanation online, if you're so inclined). Quite literally the only reason this game received as high a score as it did from me is because, once one figures out what Killer Is Dead is truly about, the entire game and all of its faults make a lot more sense. Without spoiling anything, I can safely say that every fault in this game except technical ones (graphics and sound) is almost completely intentional...and that one should remember that for the whole game, they are Mondo Zappa.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 3, 2013
    Suda 51's unique off-the-wall style comes at a price, with gameplay, polish and coherence left by the wayside. [Nov 2013, p.77]
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    A classic Suda 51 game, with a unique art direction and a well written story. If you are a fan of Suda you know what to expect here.
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    Not Suda51's best effort.