7.3

1. Aug 27, 2013
    Don't let the white knight reviewers fool you into thinking Killer Is Dead is a bad game due to the sexualisation of women in it. It's not perfect, that's true. The combat isn't as deep as Devil May Cry or flashy as Bayonetta, but it's incredible over the top Suda51 fun. Fighting enemies is fast paced and enjoyable, and on higher difficulties, requires serious skill. I don't use the word often, but Killer is Dead is just awesome. The art style looks amazing, genuinely artistic. Colors are vibrant and flashy, and make Mondo Zappa and co. really come to life. The characters aren't necessarily fleshed out, but it feels like a Tarantino movie in the sense that they don't have to say a lot to know their life story.
    As for Gigolo Missions, they're great too. Before everyone starts screaming MISOGYNIST, get off your high horse and enjoy Killer is Dead for what it is: a flashy, over the top game that's about fighting robots/monsters, and banging buxom babes.
    Killer is Dead is my favorite Suda51 title yet, and I highly recommend it.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    I have been blown away once again by Suda 51. As some of the other positive reviews have stated, there are many elements of the game such as sexualization of women that many are calling out as poor content, but there's a reason why no one can understand it. This game is Art.

Suda 51's career has been focused solely in the production of pieces, rather than games. This, like Killer 7, is
    not a game as much as it is a presentation of visuals, audio, writing, and overall mastery of the craft that is involved in any art based game. While I do agree that the sexualization is sometimes not necessary, it's not put in the game so fans can touch themselves, it's to present the main character as a smooth womanizer who rather than talking, woos women tactically with gifts instead of speech. As he doesn't actively care about these women, he doesn't care enough to talk to them. If there's anything to walk away from this game with is, it's that Suda 51 games are all about context and about artistic value. Do a little research about the Japanese audience, play his previous games, and let the game feel more like a representation, rather than a basic beat'em'up. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is fun. I don't care about the silly plot.The action is great and I'm loving it. The graphic design is a welcoming fresh change. The sound effects and voice acting are very good. The gameplay is varied and at times it is challenging, but not because of an 'artificial difficulty'. This game needs some skill to get through some levels. I don't have the slightness clue why this got low reviews. 10/10 Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    If you like no more heros, killer7, shadows of the damned, or lollipop chainsaw there is something for everyone. The art style of killer7 the combat of no more heros 2 and the sexyness of lollipop chainsaw. What a great game.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    You know it's gonna be an awesome game upon discovering it's a Suda51 title. The people responsible for developing awesome games such No More Heroes will not leave you disappointed with this one, trust me. Maybe it's not as good as NMH in terms of gameplay, and not as complicated as Killer7 in terms of story, but it defimitely deserves a pick-up. Also, I must agree with the other when I say that the reviewers went kinda too rough on this. Grab it, try it for yourself, and fun's guaranteed. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2013
    Awesome game, truly. You'd have to be a pretty boring person to not enjoy it. Fast and visceral action, awesome boss fights and a ridiculous plot, what more do you expect from a Goichi Suda game? If you see comments about loading times it's because they haven't installed it. Go ahead and do that like me, my 'loading screens' are just a flash of text.
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    It's almost impressive how ignorant and pandering the average reviewer is. Of course, it would take far too much thought to realize that "Gigolo Mode" was a rather clever commentary on the lack of depth in video game romance and the typical role of the player character as a "mary sue", a peerless sex god through which one can live out childish fantasies. Far easier to just cry about the evils of sexism so you won't be crucified by misguided feminists. The comparisons to games like Devil May Cry and Revengeance are even more pathetic, and just go to show how uninformed and out of touch these people are. Expand
  8. j3f
    Aug 30, 2013
    Killer is Dead is more than the sum of its parts. 1 part absurd story telling and 1 part fast paced action game. From the opening scene to the vignettes that are each episode, Killer is Dead will leave you with more questions than answers. But that's the point, it gives you just enough to make an educated guess as to how everything ties together. In the end you realize the game is set in a universe where you have to accept that anything is possible. The real fun in the story is theorizing how everything works much in the same way that people theorized the Zelda timeline before the release of the Hyrule Historia. Set pieces and over the top characters make every moment memorable.
    American critics have taken to bashing the game over the head in an attempt to not seem misogynist or out of line with other reviewers. The truth is there is nothing objectionable in the game, not a single nipple is shown in the game. Even the gigolo missions are a satire that is far more tasteful than its source material, James Bond. For one thing you can't sleep with any of the girls until the second date. The gigolo I felt to be very charming, as you have to build up guts in order to make a move to woo your current infatuation. Contrast this with any Hollywood spy movie star who can bed a woman with a snap of his fingers, no romance, no call the morning after. Go too long without see one of the girls, and they'll call you and remind you to spend some time with them, they aren't just some throw away fling. Mondo Zappa, if anything is human with human needs and human weaknesses.
    Combat is fast and furious. If Devil May Cry(1,3, & 4 not DmC) and Bayonetta are the Forza and Gran Turismo of Beat 'em Up's then Killer is Dead is Burnout. Put simply it's a distillation of those winning formulas with a few twists thrown in. You wield a katana in combocentric gameplay, enemies block and you can use a guard break or flank the enemy or move onto to another target. The key to mowing down enemies is to build up massive combos, after reaching as the combometer soars to 10, 20, 50, 100 hit you become a backflipping sword spinning trail of destruction as mondo attacks faster and harder, building up more hits accelerating at an exponential rate. One of the quickest ways to build up a combo is to perform a just dodge which allows you a few seconds to hammer on the x button to score a dozen hits. While similar to Bayonetta's witch time, it doesn't slow down the action because it doesn't last nearly as long and takes you straight to the button mashing action. What it's missing goes a long way to defining what it is. One of the unique things of Killer is Dead is its lack of autotargeting and lock on. Combine this with an arm cannon that runs off your most valuable resource, blood, and you have a great third person shooter. You'll be tempted to take out grunts with a single head-shot and you'll unload volleys into flying enemies. Right below your health meter is your blood meter, which you get from hacking away at enemies, blood allows you to heal, use your robotic arm, and let's you perform adrenaline bursts sacrificing blood to take out a grunt in a single strike(bigger enemies just block you). Killer is dead can be hard, but the quick loading times make restarting quick and painless. The bosses are all unique and some the more memorable do things I've never seen before. Levels are clever and nothing in the game becomes frustrating because of a failure of the mechanics.
    All together Killer is Dead is unique experience that everyone should enjoy. Suda51's brand of story telling is alive and well. Grasshopper Studios executed a superb action game similar and dissimilar to those that came before it.
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    This game is all types of crazy which is to be expected of a suda 51 title. I'm a big fan of his games and own and played them all except killer7. The combat is stylish and fun and the graphics are fantastic. The story is the moat absurd stupid and weirdest thing I've ever experienced but I love it! I know a lot of hate went towards the gigolo missions but they aren't that bad. More often they are funny and you get to stare at and seduce beautiful women (what's wrong with that) upgrades and challenges also are present as well as leader boards giving the game some good replay value and addictive gameplay of getting the best scores. Another plus I might add is if you get the game new it comes with the soundtrack, art book, and dlc pack which is really nice. Overall this game is exactly what I expected from suda 51 style over substance and that's completely fine because you know what... these kind of games are unique and different in a world where most videogames take themselves too seriously. I highly recommend this awesome game if you enjoy fun games or are a big fan of suda 51. It's not his best game but it has his magical demented touch most people will love. 9.3/10 Expand
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    Please ignore the unfair reviews of this game, it's actually very funny how the critics assume this game will somehow offend all women because the women in this game are sexy. I'm female, and I completely ADORE this game. It's a hack-n-slash much like DMC, Metal Gear Rising, and Bayonetta, the cel-shaded art style is gorgeous, and the story is completely campy and insane in the best possible way. What the biased reviewers at Polygon and IGN won't tell you is that the female characters in this game are incredibly competent, some of them are quite intelligent, and some of them can (and do!) even beat up Mondo. Yeah, the dating missions can come off as a bit cheesy to some people, but the whole game is supposed to be cheesy. What a professional reviewer shouldn't do is take off 4 or 5 points out of 10 just because they were offended at a small minigame. Honestly, I'm getting quite sick of this third-wave feminist "SEXY=BAD" mentality in gaming, and I ask you to buy the game for yourself before listening to these foolish "professional" reviews. Expand
  11. Jan 14, 2014
    Stupid journalists do not understand games. Do not listen to them.

Killer is Dead is a great game. If you are a fan of Japanese style and hurricane slashers, then you must buy this game without a doubt.

About the sexualisation of women in it. I laughed. Play your glamorous Mass Effect with gays and lesbians, stupid idiots!
  12. Sep 2, 2013
    Yes, Killer Is Dead is worth the purchase, if you are a fan of the Studio. I agree with many out there, that this game may have focused to much on the experience with Women, but at its core Killer Is Dead tells a wonderful, heart touching story. The combat becomes better and better the more you focus on getting your upgrades and learning how to use them right. While the shooting can feel a bit unnatural it still helps you throughout the game. Some of the End Bosses are weird and absurd, but still fun to fight against. One of my favorite final End Bosses is in this game.

Killer Is Dead is a wonderful game, with great combat and a beautiful story.
  13. Jan 13, 2014
    i don't know what's going on in this game,but i ejoyed the hell out of it !!!it's crazy,funny,with very good voice acting,impressing graphics and gameplay,the battles were awesome and...THAT ENDING!!! (plus Mondo is now on my "hot guys in videogames "list) i love, over the top Suda51 games.

1. Oct 3, 2013
    Suda 51's unique off-the-wall style comes at a price, with gameplay, polish and coherence left by the wayside. [Nov 2013, p.77]
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    A classic Suda 51 game, with a unique art direction and a well written story. If you are a fan of Suda you know what to expect here.
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    Not Suda51's best effort.