- Summary: The latest title from the mind of game creator SUDA51 serving as a spiritual successor to previous cult favorites No More Heroes and Killer 7. Stylish cel-shaded visuals set the mood in this gritty, bloody, ultra-violent world where biomechanical augmentations increase the power of criminalsThe latest title from the mind of game creator SUDA51 serving as a spiritual successor to previous cult favorites No More Heroes and Killer 7. Stylish cel-shaded visuals set the mood in this gritty, bloody, ultra-violent world where biomechanical augmentations increase the power of criminals and “executioners” alike. Mondo Zappa, a newly recruited executioner, hunts criminals wielding a Japanese sword in his right hand, and powerful biomechanical engineering in his left.… Expand
Aug 27, 2013I've not felt wronged by a game to this degree in a long time. Hatred just about captures the emotion. Killer is Dead has the kernel of an acceptable game, swathed in unlikable characters, a Benny Hill attitude to women, alienating self-regard and some obnoxious gameplay decisions. It's impossible to recommend.
Aug 29, 2013It's almost impressive how ignorant and pandering the average reviewer is. Of course, it would take far too much thought to realize thatIt's almost impressive how ignorant and pandering the average reviewer is. Of course, it would take far too much thought to realize that "Gigolo Mode" was a rather clever commentary on the lack of depth in video game romance and the typical role of the player character as a "mary sue", a peerless sex god through which one can live out childish fantasies. Far easier to just cry about the evils of sexism so you won't be crucified by misguided feminists. The comparisons to games like Devil May Cry and Revengeance are even more pathetic, and just go to show how uninformed and out of touch these people are.… Expand
Aug 29, 2013Awesome game, truly. You'd have to be a pretty boring person to not enjoy it. Fast and visceral action, awesome boss fights and a ridiculousAwesome game, truly. You'd have to be a pretty boring person to not enjoy it. Fast and visceral action, awesome boss fights and a ridiculous plot, what more do you expect from a Goichi Suda game? If you see comments about loading times it's because they haven't installed it. Go ahead and do that like me, my 'loading screens' are just a flash of text.… Expand
Aug 27, 2013This game is fun. I don't care about the silly plot.The action is great and I'm loving it. The graphic design is a welcoming fresh change. TheThis game is fun. I don't care about the silly plot.The action is great and I'm loving it. The graphic design is a welcoming fresh change. The sound effects and voice acting are very good. The gameplay is varied and at times it is challenging, but not because of an 'artificial difficulty'. This game needs some skill to get through some levels. I don't have the slightness clue why this got low reviews. 10/10… Expand
Aug 31, 2013This game is all types of crazy which is to be expected of a suda 51 title. I'm a big fan of his games and own and played them all exceptThis game is all types of crazy which is to be expected of a suda 51 title. I'm a big fan of his games and own and played them all except killer7. The combat is stylish and fun and the graphics are fantastic. The story is the moat absurd stupid and weirdest thing I've ever experienced but I love it! I know a lot of hate went towards the gigolo missions but they aren't that bad. More often they are funny and you get to stare at and seduce beautiful women (what's wrong with that) upgrades and challenges also are present as well as leader boards giving the game some good replay value and addictive gameplay of getting the best scores. Another plus I might add is if you get the game new it comes with the soundtrack, art book, and dlc pack which is really nice. Overall this game is exactly what I expected from suda 51 style over substance and that's completely fine because you know what... these kind of games are unique and different in a world where most videogames take themselves too seriously. I highly recommend this awesome game if you enjoy fun games or are a big fan of suda 51. It's not his best game but it has his magical demented touch most people will love. 9.3/10… Expand
Oct 12, 2014Really cool, really playable, and really beautiful. Just prepare yourself for quirk and keep an open mind and you'll have a blast.
You'llReally cool, really playable, and really beautiful. Just prepare yourself for quirk and keep an open mind and you'll have a blast.
You'll either like the story or you won't (and apparently there's a miniscule possibility that you won't even understand it. I'm not rightfully sure what the confusing parts are, but the complaint has been registered by other contributors, so...be aware? I guess?) I found it engaging and brutally charming. It kind of forces itself on you, but following in the narrative energy of the game, you don't really mind. ;)
As far as misogyny goes, it's ostensibly very masculine, but it's also pretty wildly and obviously tongue-in-cheek. I personally find the early DMCs, and even bits of Metal Gear (before your brow-crinkle, remember the live action 3-d stripteases in Metal Gear Acid 2. Those were funny as hell, but not on purpose) to be far more subversively insulting to the 51%.
That's the women-folk, for anyone who's still trying to find the ending in Assassin's Creed 1. And velcro shoes, presumably.
I realy don't mean to be a total, superscillious **** but if this engaging little short story is too complicated for you...
(or Nier's, for that matter. Nier story is absolutely brilliant. Pacing aside, it's one of the 25 best game stories ever. Go watch the opening trailer on youtube if you don't believe it. It hooked me before the game started and had me all the way through)
...and if you'd like to understand things with a little more instinctive ease, i highly recommend-- a picture book.
It'll teach you comprehension, linear cognition, character recognition, and focus. Hey, it's how they taught me in pre-school. You could even make yer own flash cards!
Reading is so cool, it even makes video games more fun.
(Please, don't let someone else's lack of cognitive prowress keep you away from this game, which i gleefully give a solid 7.5 overall. An 8.5 if you really love Suda-sama.
(Tho if i had to choose, i'd probably end up buying Nier again, just so i could lend it w/o ever losing it. It's honestly that good.)… Expand
Nov 14, 2013This game has some issues, certainly, but overall this was a fun experience.
1) Terrible camera and lack of lock-on. Most of the timeThis game has some issues, certainly, but overall this was a fun experience.
1) Terrible camera and lack of lock-on. Most of the time you will simply be fighting from the side as seen on camera, which creates problems with dodging.
2) While unique and interesting visuals generally will be in pros, how they handled black in this game is quite bad. There are a lot of areas that are dark. Now if they would be simply dark, that would be fine. But they are drawn as dark blue and sometimes this takes half, if not more, of the screen of dark blue. You don't see any shapes inside it as well.
1) Music. Fits very, very well. Some compositions are worthy of listening outside the game.
2) Story. Now, it is for the most part unclear. You do have lots of questions "why?" and "What happened before the game started?". Think about Nier, though not as bad. However, if you just stop caring to answer every little question, you will enjoy the story. You get enough information about the main issues, you understand the motives and even some of the main mechanics of this world. It is more than enough to enjoy.
3) Visual style. Besides black-dark blue areas, colors in this game are mixed in a very interesting way, cell shading looks quite good. Overall, it is simply curios, you don't see such visuals every day, so might as well enjoy it.
Kind of pro: Battles. While this is not as satisfying as many others hack-n-slash because you are not given that much freedom and creativity in combat, the mechanics are solid. Dodges seems to have no invulnerability frames, which makes you aware of the flow of the combat. About half of the game fighting with regular monsters makes you yawn, because they are weak and are killed simply by whacking at them, with occasional dodge. After that, you get extremely aggresive and tough enemies that often require different approach (or at least are best killed by different approaches), prioritizing targets, and common staff like that from hack-n-slashes. At this point, the combat is interesting. Not the best, but solid and fun. Boss battles are ok, you mostly have seen all their mechanics before. They look good though.
Overall, worthy experience.… Expand
Sep 16, 2013what an awlful start for a game; i've completed 2 missions, scored leaderboards and yet i've did absolutely nothing!! can't believe how a gamewhat an awlful start for a game; i've completed 2 missions, scored leaderboards and yet i've did absolutely nothing!! can't believe how a game gets published like this. just remember the start from Farcry 3 folks; that's how you hook someone into a game. I'm a No More Heroes huge fan but i can't bear such lack of attention to game flow anymore.… Expand
- By user score