3.4

1. Jun 11, 2012
    My Kinect Star Wars Review (slightly updated): The best sword fighting game to date is: not Kinect Star Wars, but is the Playstation 3 Sports Champions Gladiator game. However, Kinect Star Wars is good and is the best motion controlled Star Wars game released so far. A great Star Wars game would use the Gladiator game engine with the ability to walk around with a PS3 nav controller. YouMy Kinect Star Wars Review (slightly updated): The best sword fighting game to date is: not Kinect Star Wars, but is the Playstation 3 Sports Champions Gladiator game. However, Kinect Star Wars is good and is the best motion controlled Star Wars game released so far. A great Star Wars game would use the Gladiator game engine with the ability to walk around with a PS3 nav controller. You should also be able to shoot guns and use your saber with the PS3 move controller that is in the hand that is not holding the nav controller. Since the PS3 nav controller doesn't detect motion, they could use the PS3 eye to detect the motion of the hand that is holding the nav controller while still using the nav controller for the navigation of your character. If this doesn't work well, they could have you hold a second move controller in your hand instead of the nav controller and use it like a joystick by holding the move controller verticle for when your character is not moving and have you tilt it to walk your character around. (The other move controller would still be used for the saber and for shooting.) You could then force grasp or grip on to the enemy with a button and then move the controller up, down, left, right, forward, or back to control in the direction you want to throw the enemy while still being able to control your characters walking movement with the tilt of the move controller that is being used instead of the nav controller. You could also jump by just jumping, and do a flip by locking on to your enemy and jumping. You should also be able to lock on to your enemies while sabering. Force lighting would be controlled with a button. Force push would be done by pressing a button and pushing the move controller forward and force pull (or gun remove by pulling) would be done by pressing other buttons and pulling the move controller towards you. You should also be able to perform a stab backwards at the enemy by trusting the saber backward. The game would also be Similar to the Dark Forces series on the PC but be called Dark Forces 3. It should also include online play and provide more realistic and improved graphics. On to the Review of Kinect Star Wars. I give the graphics a 7. They are good but not the best. I give the Sound an 8.5. Very good. I give the gameplay a 7. Good. The kicking, jumping, dashing, and force powers work fairly well in this game. The saber, and other moves you have to do, work 95 percent of the time if you have the proper lighting, somewhat tight fitting clothing, a well tuned kinect, and you are not being hit by laser fire or attacked by enemies. The problems with the controls is that the game is on rails and the light saber combat is not as accurrate as the PS3 Gladiator sword fighting game. If I could use a nunchuck to move around with and use a very accurate motion controller to sword fight with, then the combat would be better. In addition, the boss duels you have are not as good as the duels in the PS3 Gladiator game. The reason for this is that you don't really have a choice to swipe at your opponent or block when you want to. Blocking is scripted to be your best option at certain times and swiping is selected to be your best option to win at other times. Not randomly having these activities take place makes the dueling a little dull, but not bad. (They could fix this in a patch.) You should block, do a move, and then hit your enemy with your saber randomly(not block block block block, hit hit hit hit, repeat). The Pod racing is very good but I do miss the rumble feedback from a normal controller. I give this part of the game an 8. I did not try the dancing part. The Rancor part is good and I give it a 7. The Duel only part is average and needs to be patched. I give that part a 6.0. Overall, I give the game an 8. Quite Good. If you like Star Wars you will like this game. It's a keeper.â Expand
  2. Apr 3, 2012
    Another move in the right direction for the kinect. A number of reviewers have commented on unresponsive control issues however I have had no issues with the controls what so ever so can only put this down to lighting and enviromental issues, the game does however suffer from alittle lag but this is minimual compaired to other kinect games and has minimual impact on gaming. The game storyAnother move in the right direction for the kinect. A number of reviewers have commented on unresponsive control issues however I have had no issues with the controls what so ever so can only put this down to lighting and enviromental issues, the game does however suffer from alittle lag but this is minimual compaired to other kinect games and has minimual impact on gaming. The game story is slow paced and dull at times however overall its an enjoyable experience. The dancing, pod racing and rancor modes all work well and will provide a fun enough experience for most. Graphically the game is good for a kinect game but below par compaired to non kinect game. For those of you with a 3d set up the 3d effects work well but do reduce the overall graphics of the game. For those of you who may have been expecting a core game will most likely end up dissapointed, as this is yet another family game, As kinect games go this is easily one of the best out there, and as a hardcore gamer one that I am glad that I purchased. Expand
  3. Apr 3, 2012
    I know there's been a lot f negativity directed towards this game over the past year with some valid concerns (possibly on rails, not 1:1 controls, etc...) along some equally ridiculous criticism (not Battlefront 3, "Lightsaber On!", etc...), but some of this is expected when creating new content for a franchise with millions of fans with incredibly diverse backgrounds both within andI know there's been a lot f negativity directed towards this game over the past year with some valid concerns (possibly on rails, not 1:1 controls, etc...) along some equally ridiculous criticism (not Battlefront 3, "Lightsaber On!", etc...), but some of this is expected when creating new content for a franchise with millions of fans with incredibly diverse backgrounds both within and outside of their love for Star Wars.

Firstly, I'd like to say that the developers of this game really stepped it up and fought though some major obstacles to deliver what I feel is the first really solid experience for the Kinect. As soon as I loaded up the game I was immediately impressed by the presentation. The menu backdrops were interesting enough that they grabbed my attention and familiar enough that I wasn't distracted from my purpose, getting into gameplay. I am immediately hit by a wave of nostalgia upon seeing C3-PO and R2, who act as our guides and welcome companions throughout the menus and experiences of the game. Controls for the menu screens are fairly standard fair for the Kinect at this point, but they've also added voice command functionality as a very welcome addition for those that loath the monotony of holding a hand up to cover a selection while an animated circle slowly separates a piece of your soul from your body.

I fully intended to jump straight into Jedi since that's what we're all here for, but became compelled to select Rancor Rage after seeing the roaring monster pop up in the menu. Selections were made easy since most of the content is locked by default and must be unlocked by bashing and smashing your way through galactic civilization, fine by me. It's a bit disorienting at first, being thrust into this large hulking monster, but with a few quick instruction prompts and a hologram I quickly understood how to move the beast. As soon as I collided with the first building, everything went out the window in the face of some of the most satisfying physics I've seen in a game. They're not terribly realistic compared to Battlefield or other modern sims (what with all the bouncing cages and rag-dolling civilians); however, it quickly becomes obvious why this decision was made and this mode is all the better for making you an immense force of nature tearing down and through anything in your path. The enemies are interesting and gradually build up in size, numbers, and difficulty as you threaten to destroy more of the city. Words cannot describe the satisfaction of jump, double-clotheslining a squad of three T.I.E. fighters as they make a strafing run through the city. Overall this mode is robust and after hours of play is still providing new and amazing moments that make you freak out once you've done it.

Alright, so now that I'm exhausted (rampaging for hours is hard work and Godzilla is my new hero) it's time for some Jedi Destiny: Dark Side Rising. Yeah it's kin of a mouthful, but that's alright since it's almost natural to just shorten it to Jedi Destiny anyway. So, I'll start by saying I was pleasantly surprised by the large selection of Padawans that I could choose to start my journey through the campaign. The campaign opens up with the traditional beginning to any Star Wars movie and I find that I would have it no other way. I won't go into specifics of the story except to say that again, the presentation of this mode is complete and makes you feel like you've stepped into a Star Wars movie. As I progress through the training levels (refreshingly short and to the point compared to most tutorials) I find that the controls operate very smoothly and transition well from one move to another. There is some animation, but it seems subtle and both the Jedi and my saber seem to respond immediately as I make even slight movements. In combat, all of this immediately broke down and I began trying to do everything at once; this is a terrible idea in this game. As with other Kinect titles I've played, the sensor seems to have difficulty interpreting all of these movements at the same time so what you get is sporadic, flailing movements (possibly also what I look like playing the game) that unpredictably activate the moves you intended and make you feel like you've lost control. Now, it should be said that flailing can be extremely effective as it tends to break down AI attempts at defense. However, it isn't a very fun way to play except for maybe kids; who I'm sure will have a blast flying through the levels with their seemingly endless reserves of energy. It should also be noted, that when I slowed down and really thought about what I wanted to do and began stringing moves together this mode became extremely fun. Doing so makes this mode so much better and makes me feel much more like a Jedi patiently and calmly wading through the midst of huge battles and seemingly endless enemies.
  4. Apr 4, 2012
    So after reading reviews, and opinions from what people were saying, i decided i was gonna take a shot in the dark and go for it. I wasn't disappointed at all. I read alot about people saying the controls are terrible, and that there is lag between what i do and what the game does, but i haven't noticed a bit of it. I primarily got the game for my roommate to play with her kids, and iSo after reading reviews, and opinions from what people were saying, i decided i was gonna take a shot in the dark and go for it. I wasn't disappointed at all. I read alot about people saying the controls are terrible, and that there is lag between what i do and what the game does, but i haven't noticed a bit of it. I primarily got the game for my roommate to play with her kids, and i didn't think i would even sit down to play it at all, but i ended up playing it for almost 2 hours. The graphics and the voice acting both lack a certain polish that other games have, but i wasn't expecting Skyrim going into it. The only gripe i have, because its a semi-rail shooter, is that when there is a small cut scene there should be a flashing icon that tells you you have zero control. I would try to dash forward, only to realize i was in a cut scene immediately after killing a few guys. Its nothing serious, but for a game where you use your entire body, arms and legs, it can get tiring to make needless actions. Overall, i enjoy the game, and it doesn't hurt that it's only a 50 dollar game. If you're a hardcore gamer, you'll probably want to just pass, unless you have a friend who has the game. If you like casually playing a game, or you're getting it for a kid, its worth the 50 dollars if you already have a Kinect. I wouldn't say go buy one just for this one game, but if you have one atleast give the game a try. I did and im glad i didn't just listen to the opinions of everyone else. Expand
  5. May 11, 2012
    This is a fun game, not for core game players, obviously, but perfectly enjoyable for what amounts to a Kinect arcade offering. I think the dancing was silly but the kids really love it. In fact, the kids (7 and 10 yrs) are very reluctant to stop playing. I would recommend this to anyone who isn't looking for a life changing game.
  6. Apr 3, 2012
    It is an amazing Kinect-Game and the best out there. The Presentation ist good, Controls great and there is a lot of Content to enjoy. What may piss people off is, that the Game is a family game and not a core game as many of us would have expected but regardless of that : A damn good family game.
  7. Apr 4, 2012
    Great game if you have Kinect, functionality works well and there is virtually no lag. If you enjoy your star wars game / Kinect games then you get this, or at least try the demo.
  8. Apr 17, 2012
    Ok I just finished playing the Jedi Destiny campaign this morning and aside from some issues with picking up my jumping all the time I found the game quite fun. I mean it has all the known jedi moves (saber attacks, force grab, push, rush, flips, jumps and jump attacks, and deflecting laser blasts) plus side flips, dunks, kicks, and duels. Definitely more than enough variety to have a funOk I just finished playing the Jedi Destiny campaign this morning and aside from some issues with picking up my jumping all the time I found the game quite fun. I mean it has all the known jedi moves (saber attacks, force grab, push, rush, flips, jumps and jump attacks, and deflecting laser blasts) plus side flips, dunks, kicks, and duels. Definitely more than enough variety to have a fun and get a good workout. LOL The space battles are also pretty fun as well. I think the only complaint I have is the campaign is too short. But those that are complaining are probably not using enough variety in their attacks and just sticking with Light saber slashes. Its more fun to mix it up by using the force and hurling rocks, boxes or other robots at the attacking horde. And as far as the other modes: My girlfriend really enjoys the dance mode, the kids(including this big one) likes the Rancor mode and pod racing. I think duels are OK. Might be a bit too hard to advance to the other characters.

As far as other complaints and possible improvements: Missles and mines can be a bit challenging to launch every time in the space batte sequences, I'd like to see fewer checkpoints instead of insta-respawing back in action when you die when on foot - Makes the game seem too easy(though I did die quite a bit). Maybe add a few more Jedi saber attacks added after each zone completion to give a little more variety. And perhaps a defense scenario where you jump on a stationary weapon to fight off hordes of incoming enemies(basically the space controls, but on land). A blaster armed sequence would of been cool as well. Overall I'd say its a pretty decent game and definitely doesn't deserve the ripping its getting.
  9. Apr 11, 2012
    I'm not even a Star Wars fan because I've never seen a movie yet. But Kinect Star Wars is a real fun game. I've been playing for a while and in my opinion, it's a game only for fun, to feel like a Jedi or a Monster. I haven't played the dance part, I don't like dancing, but the rest of the game is amazing. And the 3D effects are great. The first Kinect game with 3D support I'veI'm not even a Star Wars fan because I've never seen a movie yet. But Kinect Star Wars is a real fun game. I've been playing for a while and in my opinion, it's a game only for fun, to feel like a Jedi or a Monster. I haven't played the dance part, I don't like dancing, but the rest of the game is amazing. And the 3D effects are great. The first Kinect game with 3D support I've played and I'm happy with this game. Kinect games can't be reviewed as a "serious" Star Wars game in my opinion. Kinect is fun and the aim of those games is only to have lots of fun. I think that it's one of the best Kinect games, so I rate it an excellent game. Expand
  10. Apr 26, 2012
    THIS GAME IS AMAZING!!!!!!! THIS GAME HAS AMAZING GAMEPLAY IN EVERY SINGLE SECTION. I REALLY LOVE THE DANCE BATTLE PART OF THE GAME BECAUSE IT MADE MY CHILDHOOD EVEN BETTER. THE ONLY THING THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO THIS GAME IS TDM, DOMINATION, AND SEARCH AND DESTROY. ALSO KILLSTREAKS WOULDN'T HURT. BUY THIS GAME. 10/10
  11. Apr 4, 2012
    This is my guilty pleasure game of the year. Yes, it has some spotty animation, yes it can be very frustrating at times, but it also is fun and cheesy at the same time. As a huge Star Wars fan I found the different games to be very entertaining, although the podracing is quite tiring on the arms. I love the franchise, but people that are saying that this is destroying the franchise need toThis is my guilty pleasure game of the year. Yes, it has some spotty animation, yes it can be very frustrating at times, but it also is fun and cheesy at the same time. As a huge Star Wars fan I found the different games to be very entertaining, although the podracing is quite tiring on the arms. I love the franchise, but people that are saying that this is destroying the franchise need to calm down and take a breath. If the series can endure the likes of the holiday special, episodes 1-3, and the Force Unleashed, it can take just about anything. If you can't poke fun at the things you love, then you are just a little too zealous about them. Star Wars has always been a world where you take the things that you love and forget the things that you don't... Ewoks for instance... That being said, the dancing is the best part of the game. The podracing is decent too as well as the rancor rampage. The Jedi quest and dueling is sadly, the weakest link and should have been better, but it was still interesting.

I got this only because it came with the exclusive system, but I would recommend waiting until you can pick it up for 20 bucks in a few months or rent it. I probably wouldn't pay $40 for it. You should still TRY it out before you write a terrible review, calling it trash, because you are trying to defend the franchise. Don't trust the "1" reviews on here. Those who wrote those have never played a REALLY bad game before...

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jun 5, 2012
    A cynical package that doesn't do the Star Wars franchise any justice whatsoever. [Issue#85, p.92]
  2. May 15, 2012
    Kinect Star Wars is a double edged sword. On one side, using the force with the Kinect sensor is immensely satisfying. On the other side, Kinect is just what is holding this game back. All in all, it's just another shallow and lacking tech demo from Microsofts admittingly impressive motion sensor.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Crappy in places, but frequently very fun. You might hate yourself for not hating it. [June 2012, p.74]