7.7

1. Feb 13, 2012
    I simply love Skyrim, Oblivion, and many other such RPGs and im adding KoA right to the list. Im not saying everything is perfect (difficulty and camera both been addressed by Curt in forums) but the fun of the combat makes it hard to put down. I love the environments also and i know the cartoon type graphics are a turn off for many but i love games that let me see fantasy and notI simply love Skyrim, Oblivion, and many other such RPGs and im adding KoA right to the list. Im not saying everything is perfect (difficulty and camera both been addressed by Curt in forums) but the fun of the combat makes it hard to put down. I love the environments also and i know the cartoon type graphics are a turn off for many but i love games that let me see fantasy and not something i can see in the real world. I wish all the best for 38 studios and this IP because with all the generic shooters out there good RPGs are hard to find and i think this is gonna be a great IP. Expand
  2. Feb 7, 2012
    Pretty fun game.. Story lacks any kind of focus and the lack of your character speaking or the npc's around having facial expressions you never really get attached to the story. Combat is a big improvement in the genre although judge up against counterparts of actions titles such as DMC or GoW the controls are "far" from tight and responsive and nowhere near as fluent. After 10Pretty fun game.. Story lacks any kind of focus and the lack of your character speaking or the npc's around having facial expressions you never really get attached to the story. Combat is a big improvement in the genre although judge up against counterparts of actions titles such as DMC or GoW the controls are "far" from tight and responsive and nowhere near as fluent. After 10 hours of play I can definitely recommend due to it's just plain fun factor and at the end of the day who really cares about the comparisons if a game is fun it's fun and this game is DEFINITELY fun! Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2012
    Well, I think Kingdom's of Amalur is that kind of fantasy rpg that u can't really miss. It's world is absolutely astonishing, and even I haven't played for that long, the game is very solid, and is so huge that u can do whatever you like. I really wanted a game like this for so long, and I am happy that KoA appeared.
  4. Feb 7, 2012
    An all star cast, with great voice acting and a great sense of open world with beautiful scenery. This game has pulled off everything it said it would. The randomized loot and crafting makes an even deeper sense of play style,but look as well. The combat is well suited for this type of game and is ever changing, with every level and power you gain. Don't listen to the Skryim fanboys. YouAn all star cast, with great voice acting and a great sense of open world with beautiful scenery. This game has pulled off everything it said it would. The randomized loot and crafting makes an even deeper sense of play style,but look as well. The combat is well suited for this type of game and is ever changing, with every level and power you gain. Don't listen to the Skryim fanboys. You really can't compare the games as they are truly stand alone titles. I only give it a 9 for slight graphic errors but I can see those being fixed in the near future. This game honestly feels like what Fable promised it would be like, it goes above and beyond expectations. My #1 RPG for sure. Expand
  5. Feb 7, 2012
    Skyrim fan boys and fan boys of this game are going to collide. This game is not as good as Skyrim, but its not the mediocre garbage Skyrim kids think it is. This game is a solid experience, and is a lot of fun, but people cant stand when their favorite game has competition.
  6. Feb 7, 2012
    Y'know, after experiencing the demo, it really got me hooked! So far, this would be my #1 RPG and the only RPG to get me back into gaming mode from a long time of missing long days due to uni. I really wanna thanked the devs for created such an awesome game for others to experience the awesomeness of the game. Amalur RULES!! I can't wait for OZ to release the game on the 9th then i canY'know, after experiencing the demo, it really got me hooked! So far, this would be my #1 RPG and the only RPG to get me back into gaming mode from a long time of missing long days due to uni. I really wanna thanked the devs for created such an awesome game for others to experience the awesomeness of the game. Amalur RULES!! I can't wait for OZ to release the game on the 9th then i can start spending almost most of my time 'dating' KoAR~ XD Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2012
    Amazing game, went above and beyond my expectations. It feels like an MMO but plays like a great single player story with extensive lore. Love this game.
  8. Feb 7, 2012
    20 hours in, and loving it - Best RPG since ME2/DA:O in my books.. Skyrim was my king, until it became unplayable and I'm still packing a sad with it (until it is 100% fixed, then I will put it back on top :).

Amalur is such a great world, light and fanciful - and how rad is the arcade style fighting? so dope!! I also love the lore/story that has been presented to me so far.. as far as I can tell, this will be one of those games that you either really like, or really don't... look at some of those review scores ; 100% from Joystiq/The Guardian and others.. 50% from G4.. wowsers.. that's some standard deviation right there!!
  9. Feb 7, 2012
    Game is a single player MMO with Fable-ish graphics. Combat feels a bit like Darksiders but not quite as fun. I feel the Penny Arcade mention was payola-esque in nature, calling this an open world game is like calling an escalator a roller coaster.

It's an OK game, fine for killing some time. It's great for people who don't want to read any text, as they include color coded *get on with the action* text and everything is fully voiced. But, I find it lacks in character, I'm not particularly attached to any in game character or place and the designers seem to be "embarrassing uncles" on the humor scale.
  10. Feb 7, 2012
    No to much fun and boring dialogs all over the place with poor voice acting.
    Graphics are nothing special and very cartoony.
    Music sucks it's not something special.
    Combat is moderate it's fun but not for long
    If u want a real rpg play Skyrim
  11. Feb 7, 2012
    Ignore the fanboys, they'll be out in force for this one, doing all they can to inflate the score. The game is mediocre at best. The graphics are sub-Fable. It suffers from terrible pop up and texture problems. There is literally nothing original on offer. The developers have made the length of the game a major selling point, but when a game is as bland and unmemorable as this one, thatIgnore the fanboys, they'll be out in force for this one, doing all they can to inflate the score. The game is mediocre at best. The graphics are sub-Fable. It suffers from terrible pop up and texture problems. There is literally nothing original on offer. The developers have made the length of the game a major selling point, but when a game is as bland and unmemorable as this one, that quickly becomes another minus. Especially when you realise most of the game is made up of fetch quests. This would have been much better if it had been released in 2005. Expand
  12. Feb 9, 2012
    A Fable--esque corridor romp. Kingdoms of Amalur feels as if it blew all of its budget on big name writers and artists and failed to leave much room for anything else (also see Shadows of the Damned). Narrative is linear and character interactions are hollow, specifically the main character. I would say that combat delivers, but it failed to keep me entertained.
  13. Feb 7, 2012
    I really wanted to love this game because I love R A Salvatores books. I've played RPGs since the late 80s so love the genre. Unfortunately the game doesn't live up to the hype. I really really dislike the cartoony graphics, they look 5 years out of date. The quests are repetitive, go here kill that, go there kill that over and over. The skill trees are ok, but they've been done in similarI really wanted to love this game because I love R A Salvatores books. I've played RPGs since the late 80s so love the genre. Unfortunately the game doesn't live up to the hype. I really really dislike the cartoony graphics, they look 5 years out of date. The quests are repetitive, go here kill that, go there kill that over and over. The skill trees are ok, but they've been done in similar ways in countless games. The cut scenes are poor, your character just stands there staring of into the distance not reacting. There are no consequences to your actions so it doesnt feel like a living world. Bows are broken, you can't aim. All guards know when you've done something psychically which I hate. You can't jump, even over small things. it's not open, just interlinked blocks of space, the only good thing is the combat which is fun and well executed. Lets hope KOAR 2 is way more polished. Oh and the weapons degrade which I don't like either! Expand
  14. Feb 7, 2012
    This giant corridor maze is not an "open world" in the slightest. Look, but don't touch applies to 75% of the terrain areas you see. You can't jump, and the use of invisible walls is absurdly gratuitous. They are everywhere where they shouldn't be. It's getting a 0 due to the fact that it is being falsely advertised as an "Open World Game." Add the fact of how it rips off other games inThis giant corridor maze is not an "open world" in the slightest. Look, but don't touch applies to 75% of the terrain areas you see. You can't jump, and the use of invisible walls is absurdly gratuitous. They are everywhere where they shouldn't be. It's getting a 0 due to the fact that it is being falsely advertised as an "Open World Game." Add the fact of how it rips off other games in graphics, and combat. You have your self a below mediocre game. Expand
  15. Jul 11, 2013
    I loved this game it was so entertaining and loveable the graphics where so nice as well.This is a good game [worth a try] I'm sad that there company field bankruptcy I could see them making good games for next gen if they where still here
  16. May 28, 2012
    KoA felt like it should be classified as more of an action RPG. The combat is super deep and well polished, and the main story is great, but the side quests, something that most RPGs put a lot of time into today, all felt the same, and they don't suck you into the story like the main one does. The graphics are hit or miss, the environments looked gorgeous, but the NPC faces all looked likeKoA felt like it should be classified as more of an action RPG. The combat is super deep and well polished, and the main story is great, but the side quests, something that most RPGs put a lot of time into today, all felt the same, and they don't suck you into the story like the main one does. The graphics are hit or miss, the environments looked gorgeous, but the NPC faces all looked like plastic. I really enjoyed KoA, and with hours and hours of gameplay, you should too. Expand
  17. Nov 22, 2012
    One of the best games around, Reckoning delivers a good story but its real strength is the fluent game-play. The hybrid skill trees allow you to combine the classic mage/warrior/rogue combat styles with one another to your liking. Although the mage seems somewhat too strong, the classes are well executed and each allows a different game-play. This is one of the strengths of Reckoning: theOne of the best games around, Reckoning delivers a good story but its real strength is the fluent game-play. The hybrid skill trees allow you to combine the classic mage/warrior/rogue combat styles with one another to your liking. Although the mage seems somewhat too strong, the classes are well executed and each allows a different game-play. This is one of the strengths of Reckoning: the experience is flawlessly fluent whatever you want to do as the controls remain simple yet effective (e.g. dodging is easy when well timed). While the main game is vast but not overly complex as the Elder Scrolls series sometimes seems to be, allowing for lots of hours for a single play-through, the real strength lies with the DLCs. They add a new layer of humour to the game which is simply amazing and makes Reckoning the best of its kind for me, even considering Skyrim, Darksiders and the other high-rated titles it draws from. This is the only game where I have bothered to unlock all achievements as it is just that great to explore the whole world available. A must have if you like the genre. Expand
  18. Aug 2, 2012
    This game rocks, it's pretty simple. Every time I play KoA I think that it is what Fable should have been. It's fun, huge and has some of the best gameplay of a game in the RPG genre. Unlike many recent releases BHG should be commended on the minimal amount of bugs. This game is huge and I have never once lost progress because the game locked up.

The only thing that stops this game from

The only thing that stops this game from being legendary is the story. While it does enough to keep you interested, I found that most of the side quests overshadowed the main campaign (Webwood and House of Ballads come to mind). Overall KoA is a fun and addictive game. It's not a game for the ages but will keep you interested from Allestar to Alabastra.
  19. Jun 10, 2012
    It is very unfortunate that the developer is experiencing financial troubles (troubles that aren't even tied to Reckoning), because this game, while not a groundbreaking original, has tons of upside. It is one of the more enjoyable RPGs I have played.

Reckoning has some cons though all can be easily overlooked and none, in my opinion, take away from the game. First, the world has a huge history but a lot of the side quests you encounter could be left out. These sides try to introduce characters and Amaulran history to you in a scavenger hunt fashion. The spoils you receive are usually worth it but the dialogue choices you have to sit through at times bog down the flow of the game. I am currently a level 23 with 25+ hours of play and I have found that a lot of the armor and weapons I am finding while out in the world are repeating. Even when I am finding upgraded weapons or armor they appear in my inventory as carbon copies of lesser items. Nothing major I would just like more individual pieces. The side quests also tend to seem very repetive. Go here and kill these monsters and bring this item back to me for this reward. Then the reward you are given turns out to be a weaker weapon or piece of armor than you already have. Kinda unnecessary. Again, it's nothing that hurts the game as a whole.

The game does have a huge map. While a lot of the history is generic and lacks depth the map does allow a lot of new places to discover with plenty of enemies to kill. Leveling is probably the highlight of Reckoning. The class/dynasty system is very cool and allows limitless choices. I had started has a rogue/assassin and at level 18 decided to wipe my "fate" clean and realign my skills. I am now a battle mage who uses a great sword and chakrams instead of an assassin who uses daggers and a long sword. The game also has some pretty fun DLC available tha offer added hours of gameplay as well as offering more weapons and armor.

All in all Reckoning doesnt offer a deep, highly immersive story like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. It also doesn't have a super realistic graphics engine like Skyrim or Dark Souls. Reckoning chose to go the World of Warcraft route but it works so well for the game. What Reckoning does offer is a combat system that is second to none along with a leveling system that is infinitely adjustable. Replay is huge not even including the many DLC that are available. 150+ hours is probably a low estimate. I gave it a 9. I think people rate it lower because they try to compare it to games like Skyrim and Dark Souls. It really doesn't compare to those games. In some ways it is so much better. But in no area is it truly lacking. If you are interested in an action RPG don't hesitate to buy!
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    Shame the company is gone, was a great game. Had heaps of fun playing it and despite some minor problems this was a great game! Find a game and play it now!
  21. Oct 30, 2012
    Reckoning has good graphics, a nice class system and very good controls, the story is average, but the biggest problem I encountered in this game is that there are so many side quests, but none of them makes sense and are absolutly not necessary. The faction missions are boring and tedious. The world is full with invisible walls. There is an online pass, even for PC, and there is no onlineReckoning has good graphics, a nice class system and very good controls, the story is average, but the biggest problem I encountered in this game is that there are so many side quests, but none of them makes sense and are absolutly not necessary. The faction missions are boring and tedious. The world is full with invisible walls. There is an online pass, even for PC, and there is no online mode in Reckoning. Yet, I enjoyed this game and I will certainly buy the second Kingdoms of Amalur. Expand
  22. Dec 11, 2012
    I utterly loved this game. It really brought me back to the old school faceless hero RPGs of old. I have played this through multiple times now and I can not get bored with it. I will admit it lays the fantasy lore/cliches on pretty thick at first but once you make it through the first act it feels like a Journey. Artwork is fantastic, combat is unique and fresh, voice acting is alrightI utterly loved this game. It really brought me back to the old school faceless hero RPGs of old. I have played this through multiple times now and I can not get bored with it. I will admit it lays the fantasy lore/cliches on pretty thick at first but once you make it through the first act it feels like a Journey. Artwork is fantastic, combat is unique and fresh, voice acting is alright but the lip syncing could have been better. This is a dungeon crawler action RPG fan's wildest fantasy and in my books the best game of 2012. I'm sure there are allot of people who also don't like the game, and I really think it'S a shame you didn't like it as much I did. Expand
  23. Mar 28, 2012
    I think Yahtzee summed it up nicely when he called this game 'baby's first Skyrim'. However, it does a disservice to Reckoning's fun hack-&-slash combat mechanics. Here's hoping there's a developer out there with the talent (and cash) to merge the expansive world of Skyrim with the engaging combat of Reckoning.
  24. Apr 3, 2012
    While it's not perfect, this game was realy fun to play. The combat system is great. The story and character interaction are avarage, but overall this game is worth it for the fun factor alone. I enjoyed it.
  25. rhe
    Mar 23, 2012
    When I wanted to write this review I had to think about it for a long while. This is mainly because I had to consider a lot about the game and now when fully thinking about it the combat is extremely fun and frantic but apart from that this game feels like an extremely safe, by-the-book RPG that has very little else to entice gamer's which it's other RPG contemporaries do at greaterWhen I wanted to write this review I had to think about it for a long while. This is mainly because I had to consider a lot about the game and now when fully thinking about it the combat is extremely fun and frantic but apart from that this game feels like an extremely safe, by-the-book RPG that has very little else to entice gamer's which it's other RPG contemporaries do at greater level's. The voice acting runs the gambit from passable to pretty bad and none of the characters stood out enough to be memorable. While there is a good amount of regular loot drops to let out the loot hoarder in you if you go to a merchant they will almost always have better weapons than your own loot weapons which takes the fun out of it because it removes the sense of achievement you get from getting the rare piece of loot since the store will have something which makes it inferior. However, the high fantasy setting is very well built and the lore stones were very helpful as they provided useful insight into the world of Amalur. In addition to this, the graphics are beautiful and the art style works very well in creating this beautiful world. Yet even when all of this is taken into account I simply can't get over the fact that while the game was very good while I was playing it I got bored after i finished the main story because it just felt that there wasn't enough of a push to get me to go through all those side quest's and the rewards for the side quests don't do enough to keep me interested. Overall I would give this game an 8 because irrespective of these faults i still thoroughly did enjoy my time with this game and am quite a strong fan of RPG's which will probably color my impressions of the game. Expand
  26. Feb 27, 2012
    (My First Videogame Review, it somewhat lacks formatting)

(My First Videogame Review, it somewhat lacks formatting)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in one sentence: A pick-up-and-go, hack-and-slash LITE version of Skyrim that looks alot like World of Warcraft. The hard-core RPG aficionado will most certainly be annoyed by the limited geography (you can't jump, and areas are laid out most often like a series of paths or alleys), the relatively simplistic skills and abilities tree (you get Strength, Sorcery and Speed essentially for the skill trees, and the Abilities generally are only relevant in particular settings; like the Stealth Ability for example), and the somewhat necessity of re-specc'ing multiple times in order to flush out the whole game in one go, AND the ability that the whole game (pretty much) can even be flushed out in one play-through might ruffle some feathers. Finally, despite promoting the game somewhat on the basis of R.A. Salvatore's involvement in the story/world creation (his name is on the front cover, after all) the story of the game is vague and doesn't draw the player in that much, and the main quest-line only provides maybe 1/8 of the possible play-time (which seems to run for most ~70hrs).

But I think the overwhelming majority of gamers will love this game. One's powers increase exponentially for the middle third of the game, and this is where I (and my friends who have picked it up so far) have all gotten hooked. The first 1/10 of the game is your basic start-up, and goes by relatively quickly since the mechanics are pretty easy to master and the initial areas aren't confusing. Then comes the initial striking out period, which, once the user figures out the relationship between the world map and the game landscape, should have the player picking up and finishing quests and gaining experience at a solid rate.

The middle section of the game, as previously stated above, is where the meat of the gameplay is. As you feel out the various factions and are able to create equipment that is not only usable but also compliments your skills/abilities, and you accumulate Twists Of Fate (stat/ability bonuses that stack on your character throughout the game), your character will quickly be able to slaughter any but the hardest of enemies on any but the hardest of difficulties (somewhat similarly to Fable, if to a lesser degree).

The last section of the game sort of becomes as challenging as you want it to be. By this point, at any difficulty, the economic resources available to your character make it such that entering into the entire last quarter of the game you can pretty much factor out the challenging aspects. However, due to the smooth combat style and attractive landscapes, it generally stays interesting to the very last hack and slash.

The lack of mounts or vehicles is mitigated by a plethora of fast-travel locations, and the quick load-times (especially with installation) between fast-travel locations greatly reduces the fatigue experienced by any RPG gamer who is forced to watch entirely too many loading screens during the process of completing one particularly long string of quests.

I would recommend to anyone with even a passing fancy for RPGs, and caution only those with no taste for the genre at all, or hard-core purists.
  27. Mar 10, 2012
    After playing the demo for this game I was very excited to play this game and chose it over The Darkness 2 to buy even though I had played and LOVED The Darkness 1. At first I thought I had made the right choice but as I continued to play the game I discovered that I wasn't really having any fun. I completed the game, doing all the side quests and faction quests and almost all of theAfter playing the demo for this game I was very excited to play this game and chose it over The Darkness 2 to buy even though I had played and LOVED The Darkness 1. At first I thought I had made the right choice but as I continued to play the game I discovered that I wasn't really having any fun. I completed the game, doing all the side quests and faction quests and almost all of the achievements but it never really became fun. I don't know what was missing, just something very flat about the experience. The combat I will agree was excellent but there was nothing unique about the game. It seemed to be bits and pieces of many better games. In the end I just couldn't imagine paying more for dlc and so traded it in. Sadly , for a game I was so excited to play I felt very let down. I wanted to love it but just couldn't and can't even really say I like it. Expand
  28. Aug 31, 2012
    I was still mourning having finished Skyrim when I bought this game. My initial impressions of the cartoon graphics were not good, but they grew on me. I still don't think much of the character progression. But the story lines are brilliant. Far more adult than witcher 2 (but then witcher 2 confused 'swearing' with 'adult'). No spoilers from me, but the Fae story lines in particular, wereI was still mourning having finished Skyrim when I bought this game. My initial impressions of the cartoon graphics were not good, but they grew on me. I still don't think much of the character progression. But the story lines are brilliant. Far more adult than witcher 2 (but then witcher 2 confused 'swearing' with 'adult'). No spoilers from me, but the Fae story lines in particular, were really excellent. A brilliant 'open world' RPG game which I've already played through twice. Definitely up there with Skyrim. Expand
  29. Mar 21, 2012
    I wanted to like this game so bad. I had high hopes for this game, so i went and bought it on launch day. I initially loved it, the combat was great, the story wasnt awful, and the voice acting great. Though as I continued I found that the combat was repetitive, the quests were all the same (basically fetch quests). Maybey this just isnt my kind of game. For right now i think i'llI wanted to like this game so bad. I had high hopes for this game, so i went and bought it on launch day. I initially loved it, the combat was great, the story wasnt awful, and the voice acting great. Though as I continued I found that the combat was repetitive, the quests were all the same (basically fetch quests). Maybey this just isnt my kind of game. For right now i think i'll stick with TES and Dragon age Expand
  30. Mar 24, 2012
    A game that has its technical flaws (namely a camera, to be precise), but nonetheless acts as a refresher for the out-done RPG genre. Kingdoms of Amalur offers an expansive world with more than enough content to be worth the cost, and an art style that stands out from most other RPGs, which are now all going for a much more "realistic" tone. The combat and many mechanics are reminiscent ofA game that has its technical flaws (namely a camera, to be precise), but nonetheless acts as a refresher for the out-done RPG genre. Kingdoms of Amalur offers an expansive world with more than enough content to be worth the cost, and an art style that stands out from most other RPGs, which are now all going for a much more "realistic" tone. The combat and many mechanics are reminiscent of both The Elder Scrolls and Fable, but KoA: R manages to put a new spin on them to keep one entertained. Worth renting, if not anything else, makes for a good game if you can't decide on a few. Expand
  31. Apr 14, 2012
    If you like fun, brutal combat, pretty fantasy graphics, and a long game, reckoning is for you. Its not dark, and gloomy like hardcore rpgs, like skyrim, or the witcher. The world reminds me of a fable mixed in with world of warcraft. Its pretty to look at, as well as the creative monsters it has. i dont want to go into to much detail. But if your interested in something different, in aIf you like fun, brutal combat, pretty fantasy graphics, and a long game, reckoning is for you. Its not dark, and gloomy like hardcore rpgs, like skyrim, or the witcher. The world reminds me of a fable mixed in with world of warcraft. Its pretty to look at, as well as the creative monsters it has. i dont want to go into to much detail. But if your interested in something different, in a creative way, reckoning is your game. Expand
  32. May 17, 2012
    What's the deal with 0 reviews? I mean it's just not possible that any game could be worth 0/10 points. That's mathematically incorrect, because the scale can only go from 1 as the lowest point to 10 at the highest.
  33. Feb 18, 2012
    Decent start to a new RPG game series. Lacking in the story department and ending is lackluster but the combat was fun throughout. Worth the play through but do your self a favor and get it used in a few months.
  34. Feb 28, 2012
    Just when you think nothing else can go wrong with this game the sound is out of sink, it is like watching the old foreign movies where you see the lips move and a few seconds later there is sound. It is the same for this game. They need to sort this out, if they got rid of all the faults this would be great game.
  35. Feb 17, 2012
    A very solid game, that excels in its execution. KoA borrows from many games before it, and does a very good job of doing so. The main selling point of the game is its combat, which is much more visceral and interactive than what you will find in traditional fantasy RPGs, or any MMO. The 3 combat disciplines, might, finesse and sorcery have a fair amount of depth and customization; youA very solid game, that excels in its execution. KoA borrows from many games before it, and does a very good job of doing so. The main selling point of the game is its combat, which is much more visceral and interactive than what you will find in traditional fantasy RPGs, or any MMO. The 3 combat disciplines, might, finesse and sorcery have a fair amount of depth and customization; you can play the game how you want to, a mage, assassin, warrior, or an amalgamation of any of those 3 classes. The game production values shine with some excellent voice acting, amazing environments and art, a rich story and lore, and a fitting soundtrack. The sheer magnitude of content in-game is astonishing, and worthy of praise. It took me 80 hours to complete the game on Hard, and I still have a few achievements and couple quests left. You can really tell that a lot of effort went into the production and polishing of this game - I only encountered 2 bugs in my play-through involving getting stuck, and screwy camera. I highly recommend to any fans of the rpg, action-rpg, and mmo genres. That being said the game is not perfect and has room for improvement - my main complaints have to do with lack of inventory space for your main stash, and only having the ability to map 4 abilities to your controller. The variety of quest types could use some improvement, it currently functions identically to a MMO (fetch quests, quest hubs, etc.) and can get a bit repetitive. I also found that the game was too easy even on hard, which made drinking any potions unnecessary, and also that some skills were rather useless (lockpicking, and dispelling). Another thing that would benefit the game is if the NPCs were less static (it feels like everything in the game revolves around you - immersion killer), and it would also be nice to have character decisions have more impact and repercussions in the game (I found that dialog choices rarely affected any outcome). Expand
  36. Feb 21, 2012
    I have changed my opinion from my previous review,after putting nearly 95 plus hours into the game so far and I still have not crossed the river to Klurikon and Alabastra I find that not only this game delivers upon what it promised which was great combat and a good RPG backbone element, it has some great lore which of course comes from the visionary mind of RA Salvatore and just plainI have changed my opinion from my previous review,after putting nearly 95 plus hours into the game so far and I still have not crossed the river to Klurikon and Alabastra I find that not only this game delivers upon what it promised which was great combat and a good RPG backbone element, it has some great lore which of course comes from the visionary mind of RA Salvatore and just plain overall addictive. I cannot find myself wanting to go back to Skyrim for any reason that Reckoning doesnt provide. I Suggest this game to all that enjoy gratifying combat with great leveling skill trees and ppl who enjoy a entertaining and long story. Nearly 200 plus hours of gameplay (not to mention the many more that will come with post launch DLC that I'm sure will be coming) but not only for those that invested in the Future Press strategy guide that is late to the party, but will add more to your game that you didn't come across before hand. I will be doing multiple playthroughs with many different classes and destinies. Again...thank you Big Huge Games and 38 Studios, and to all the Visionaries that made this masterpiece possibly. Here's hoping that you guys brought in enough revenue to create a lasting franchise, and that is not including the MMO "Copernicus" which i am hearing is still in development. Expand
  37. Feb 11, 2012
    There are few games that I love..and even fewer games that I feel strong enough to post about. Baldurs gate 1-2, Fallout games, elder scrolls,Dragon Age....1 that is, and now this. Kingdoms of Amalur is one of those rare games that feel like a labor of love made by gamers. Its whimsical and brutal at the same time. has a huge open world but it doesn't feel aimless. has great quests and 200There are few games that I love..and even fewer games that I feel strong enough to post about. Baldurs gate 1-2, Fallout games, elder scrolls,Dragon Age....1 that is, and now this. Kingdoms of Amalur is one of those rare games that feel like a labor of love made by gamers. Its whimsical and brutal at the same time. has a huge open world but it doesn't feel aimless. has great quests and 200 hrs of non stop action, that is at the pinnacle of the genre. 38 studios and Big Huge Games now have an avid fan....and a greatful one at that. Expand
  38. Feb 13, 2012
    If you combined the most recent Fable with the first of the Knights of the Old Republic, and took out all the engaging story elements of the latter, you'd fave Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. As an RPG junky, I'll probably play the heck out of this game until Mass Effect 3 comes out, but if you're not as into this genre as I am, this game is not for you. Most disappointing are the characterIf you combined the most recent Fable with the first of the Knights of the Old Republic, and took out all the engaging story elements of the latter, you'd fave Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. As an RPG junky, I'll probably play the heck out of this game until Mass Effect 3 comes out, but if you're not as into this genre as I am, this game is not for you. Most disappointing are the character interaction scenes. They are reminiscent of something on the original Xbox. Just not impressive. There is a kernel of a good game here, but it feels rushed. Only recommended for serious RPG junkies who've already finished Skyrim. Otherwise, just skip. Expand
  39. Feb 7, 2012
    Plays out too much like an MMO. The zones feel like they were ripped out of any given fantasy MMO - just by their layout and content. There are a fair few fetch quests in the game and a lot of simple excuses to just have you clear out a dungeon. The combat is fine, but even on hard the game is very easy. I found it generally took one or two spells to kill most enemies, which is unfortunatePlays out too much like an MMO. The zones feel like they were ripped out of any given fantasy MMO - just by their layout and content. There are a fair few fetch quests in the game and a lot of simple excuses to just have you clear out a dungeon. The combat is fine, but even on hard the game is very easy. I found it generally took one or two spells to kill most enemies, which is unfortunate given the decent combo system in the game. The crafting systems in the game are some of the best I've seen, at least. Expand
  40. Feb 7, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game because of how much I love RA Salvatore books and how much I love fantasy. The cut scenes are terrible in this game, the lips don't move in sync with the lips all the time and the quests are way to similar to WOW quests, the only reason I suffered through these quests in WOW was because at least I could do them/interact with other people. The game playI really wanted to like this game because of how much I love RA Salvatore books and how much I love fantasy. The cut scenes are terrible in this game, the lips don't move in sync with the lips all the time and the quests are way to similar to WOW quests, the only reason I suffered through these quests in WOW was because at least I could do them/interact with other people. The game play itself is really awesome, it is how they should make future MMO's instead of point and click. I liked how colourful the world was and how big it was but having to constantly move the camera around became annoying very fast. If you aren't done Skyrim yet don't bother picking this up you will end up going back to Skyrim. Not a bad game but very little greatness in it. Expand
  41. Feb 11, 2012
    I started out by giving this game an 8, but how ignorant I was until I started playing it more, I am amazed by the hour, it is the most fantastic and addictive game ever, it's unbelievable how much this game has to offer, if you enjoy games like Fable or Darksiders, or any action adventure or RPG this game will blow your mind. it is an absolute classic! a rare Gem. Worth every penny andI started out by giving this game an 8, but how ignorant I was until I started playing it more, I am amazed by the hour, it is the most fantastic and addictive game ever, it's unbelievable how much this game has to offer, if you enjoy games like Fable or Darksiders, or any action adventure or RPG this game will blow your mind. it is an absolute classic! a rare Gem. Worth every penny and then some. 9.5/10 Expand
  42. Feb 7, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is what I have been waiting for in an RPG. Yes it's a mixture of a lot of other games out there but it takes what's great from them and does it even better. The story is so rich and well told that I can't find myself getting even remotely bored... ever! There are tons of things to do and see aside from the actual story, and are just as fun as the main plot.Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is what I have been waiting for in an RPG. Yes it's a mixture of a lot of other games out there but it takes what's great from them and does it even better. The story is so rich and well told that I can't find myself getting even remotely bored... ever! There are tons of things to do and see aside from the actual story, and are just as fun as the main plot. The world is beautifully done and I'm always finding myself stopping just to look around at the incredible environment. Now the main reason to buy this game (Aside from every other great aspect.) is the amazingly responsive and flawless gameplay. That right there is why I like this game WAY more then, Skyrim, Fable, Fall Out, and any other RPG out there. Expand
  43. Feb 8, 2012
    Elderscrolls and Fable had a baby and it is Reckoning. Beautiful sound and graphics. Rock solid controls and camera views. Very open-ended and deep RPG elements. There are alot of references to WoW (Example- Frostweave cloth) and the environments remind me alot of Azeroth! Reckoning is a keeper. The replay value is very high- definitely worth checking out.
  44. Feb 16, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. However it's cross promotions with Mass Effect and it's cool art and screens seem to point to a unique and engaging experience. However this is not the case. The actual game is better then mediocre titles like Risen or Eco Draconis but feels extremely lazy and uninspiring compared to any of the genres staples. It's cartoonish look and fable clonedI really wanted to like this game. However it's cross promotions with Mass Effect and it's cool art and screens seem to point to a unique and engaging experience. However this is not the case. The actual game is better then mediocre titles like Risen or Eco Draconis but feels extremely lazy and uninspiring compared to any of the genres staples. It's cartoonish look and fable cloned mechanics leave you wishing they bothered to put more thought into the core gameplay then trying to convince people it's good with flash and theatrics. Expand
  45. Feb 18, 2012
    First game in a long while I decided to plop 60 dollars on. Former WOW player who gave up on it due to time constraints. This single player game is perfect for me, since I can go at my own pace. Don't have to rely on 40 other people to take hours to assemble a team to do a raid. The game is a tad easy, but I'm sure they'll rectify that. I'm 61hrs in. Where else can you get that muchFirst game in a long while I decided to plop 60 dollars on. Former WOW player who gave up on it due to time constraints. This single player game is perfect for me, since I can go at my own pace. Don't have to rely on 40 other people to take hours to assemble a team to do a raid. The game is a tad easy, but I'm sure they'll rectify that. I'm 61hrs in. Where else can you get that much entertainment for that price. Expand
  46. Feb 13, 2012
    This is a very great game. I simply adored character progression and the fantastic combat. However, graphics can make or break your game, and when I'm exploring, I don't like seeing the ground literally load or just stay deformed. Also, the story isn't that good. It was interesting, but I couldn't even tell you a character name because of how uninteresting they are. Nevertheless, IThis is a very great game. I simply adored character progression and the fantastic combat. However, graphics can make or break your game, and when I'm exploring, I don't like seeing the ground literally load or just stay deformed. Also, the story isn't that good. It was interesting, but I couldn't even tell you a character name because of how uninteresting they are. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Expand
  47. Feb 13, 2012
    KoA is an amazing new IP and I welcome it to the RPG genre.

The combat is hands down some of the best you can have in a RPG, its fluid and feels like your doing damage. The art style works well and reminds me of Fable or borderlands. Don't listen to the reviewers that claim this isn't an open world, because if you get past the tutorial dungeon, it is as open as the fable or mass effect
    KoA is an amazing new IP and I welcome it to the RPG genre.

The art style works well and reminds me of Fable or borderlands.
    Don't listen to the reviewers that claim this isn't an open world, because if you get past the tutorial dungeon, it is as open as the fable or mass effect series.
    The loot system is superb with the WoW styled White
  48. Feb 17, 2012
    Kingdom of Amalur is a great RPG. Huge beautifully crafted world with loads to explore and do. Combat is epic for this genre. Having so much fun doing side quests that I'm actually not that far into the main story after 60 hours in. Game runs great and have had zero issues. Only real negative is a finicky camera at times, but not something that holds the game back from greatness. InKingdom of Amalur is a great RPG. Huge beautifully crafted world with loads to explore and do. Combat is epic for this genre. Having so much fun doing side quests that I'm actually not that far into the main story after 60 hours in. Game runs great and have had zero issues. Only real negative is a finicky camera at times, but not something that holds the game back from greatness. In terms of fun factor and being immersed in the game I rate this title close to Mass Effect 2 and as with that game I can see multiple play throughs of Amalur with different character configs being just as enjoyable. Expand
  49. Feb 17, 2012
    KoA reckoning is not a 10 or even a 9 in my booksâ
  50. Feb 21, 2012
    i have put a good 20 hrs into this and i am loving it and its not got boring.
    the graphics are very nice and colorful much like Fable in the look
    i have put a good 20 hrs into this and i am loving it and its not got boring.
    the graphics are very nice and colorful much like Fable in the look
    its a nice change from Skyrim although i would not say it is better i do enjoy it very much though and its very good and you should support this new IP and developer because it is a great effort with many good ideas that are very well executed and hardly any probs or glitches except minor issues which can be found in any big open world RPG
  51. Feb 23, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalure: Reckoning is the result of trying to include as much as you can in a game without really focusing on anything in particular. Built as a pre-cursor to a planned MMO, It feels as though a group of people sat around a table and made an honest attempt to build a game that contained â
  52. Mar 12, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an action RPG that copies a lot mechanically from other games, but does so very well, and puts it in a beautiful and interesting world.

The game has combat and skills similar to Skyrim with equipment and abilities similar to Diablo and dialogue mechanics similar to Bioware RPG's. For me, the combination works incredibly well, and provides interesting character build options paired with interesting combat. This is really one of few RPG's where I really enjoyed dungeon diving.

The game's setting, Amalur, is very interesting. The story has been good so far (after 60 hours of play, haven't reached the end yet), but I've really enjoyed completing the side quests, and figuring what's wrong in each region. I especially enjoyed a fight with a powerful gnome that ends in smashing him through a stained glass window... it was intense but still hilarious. The game is non-linear, but it's clear that the game expects you to do thing in a certain order; people kept telling me details that didn't make sense because I did many missions way out of order. Graphically, the world is beautiful and very bright, which is a welcome change from a lot of games. The music and sound are decent.

My biggest complaint is that the game expects you to understand a lot of fantasy jargon right from the start. It took me forever to remember what an "alfar" was, among many other terms.

Overall, this game has kept me happily occupied for quite some time now, and it's been a great way to kill the massive amount of free time I've been stuck with. This is one of my new favorite RPG's of all time. $60 is a lot of money, but it will be worth it for RPG fans. Anyone else that can enjoy a rich fantasy world will find a lot to like here.
  53. Apr 23, 2012
    Not a bad game. I do find it funny however that a lot of people want an old school game, but when comes along all they can do is **** about not being able to jump, not being open world, having too much junk loot or having to kill too many monsters. People must have a different memory than I do about old school games.

This game however is pretty good. The strength is definitely the

This game however is pretty good. The strength is definitely the fighting. It is a lot of fun although sometimes you can just mash buttons and do alright. The rest is O.K., if you donâ
  54. Apr 7, 2012
    I really wanted this game to be the next Elder Scrolls game. With the amount of hype this game had in addition to the top notch pedigree, you would have assumed. That's not to say that this isn't a good game, it just essentially falls short of what could've been greatness. It seems that the game contains all of the necessary ingredients for a legendary RPG, and still somehow manages toI really wanted this game to be the next Elder Scrolls game. With the amount of hype this game had in addition to the top notch pedigree, you would have assumed. That's not to say that this isn't a good game, it just essentially falls short of what could've been greatness. It seems that the game contains all of the necessary ingredients for a legendary RPG, and still somehow manages to fall short on literally every aspect. I actually give this game an 8.5, which is still very good. Before its release, the hype surrounding it tempted you with many amazing-sounding aspects of the game. When I finally went through all of these aspects, I realized that most of them are either very restricting or seriously lacking. The weapon and armor creation system does indeed allow you to create any weapon or armor from gathered materials, but it's restricted and generally downright boring. You break down materials from weapons and armor you collect in order to obtain these materials, but the final results end up being very limited. For instance, the traits of a created armor piece only allow you to select from categories which features you want, with a very limited amount of features in each category. Normally, I could've seen myself spending hours creating awesome weapons or armor, but seeing as how limited it is and the fact that they take 5 seconds to make, this entire prospect went out the window. Next, the combat in the game is actually extremely fun and smooth. Slicing enemies to bits with your greatsword and then summoning a flaming meteor from the sky is a breeze. The combat allows you to learn different moves with each particular weapon, allowing you to essentially create your own combos when you mix in spells as well. However, as mentioned earlier, the game falls short in every aspect, and this is no exception. With a game that maintains such a heavy focus on combat, you would think there would be a larger variety of enemies to kill. I mean, literally, you could count the types of enemies on two hands and probably have a finger or two left over. I'm not even exaggerating this at all. The enemies simply take on a slightly different name while maintaining the same appearance, which apparently qualifies as a different monster. For example: "Rock Troll, Mountain Troll, Prismere Troll". All have different names, and yet look and behave in the exact same way. This failure severely damages the overall entertainment of the game, causing me to become bored of gameplay after an hour of employing the same combat strategies since just about every monster is the same. Graphically, the game is decently impressive for this size, but it's cartoony WoW-esque appearance portrays it as a less serious RPG. On top of that, the music score is utterly horrible most of the time, making me feel like I'm playing a Disney game during combat. The leveling up system is decent enough, but as is the trend, falls short here as well. While it does allow you to invest points into a large variety of things, allowing you to become well-rounded, it also forces you to invest skills into worthless abilities that you will never use. I tried to become a spellsword (combo of magic and strength essentially), so naturally I use spells with a greatsword. I cannot become proficient with my greatsword to unlock all of its moves/combos because in order to do this, I must invest in other worthless abilities to unlock this tier. Therefore, I am essentially a spell-slinging guy who blindly swings his massive sword around without any real skill. Kind of a disappointment. The storyline lacks any real focus to it, pointing you to the other side of the continent frequently to where you have not yet been, eliminating the ability to fast travel. By the time you reach the destination, you've already forgotten why you're even there. There are a huge abundance of quests, but the majority are fetch quests that wind up taking you across the continent (again) and literally rewarding you with a handful of gold. I am also not exaggerating this. The majority of all quests reward you with a small amount of gold. Because of this, my interest of receiving an awesome unique weapon as a reward for a quest went down the toilet. The game contains an absurd amount of lore, but it's presented in such poor fashion. Imagine the game's lore as a pie. That pie is then slammed into your face. And then they expect you to eat the entire pie instantly. And since you cannot eat the entire pie instantly, much of it falls onto the floor, forever soiled. That is how the lore of the game is presented, with a great deal of it wasted because there is simply too much to take in. All complaints aside, KoA is still a very good game that can easily provide 100+ hours of gameplay, if you can force yourself to play it for that long. A huge open world with hundreds of quests await, however, if you're willing to give it a chance. Expand
  55. Mar 6, 2012
    This is defintely an MMORPG about to happen. It feels like, looks like and plays like World of Warcraft on XBOX without the multiplayer aspect. It doesn't feel like a traditional RPG much, alot of cutscenes and VERY fast paced combat. Feels like Mortal Kombat with some RPG elements thrown in. It's not a bad game, I just wouldn't call it a "real" RPG. This game will just be tweaked andThis is defintely an MMORPG about to happen. It feels like, looks like and plays like World of Warcraft on XBOX without the multiplayer aspect. It doesn't feel like a traditional RPG much, alot of cutscenes and VERY fast paced combat. Feels like Mortal Kombat with some RPG elements thrown in. It's not a bad game, I just wouldn't call it a "real" RPG. This game will just be tweaked and released as an MMO one day. The story was a little lackluster as well. Worth a try but not at $60. Expand
  56. Mar 8, 2012
    A game that has potential to do a lot more, seems like they just took every big name producer and hoped for a smash hit.I look forward for the sequels in the series and hopefully better leveling mechanics.
  57. Feb 26, 2012
    This is a good game, like some movies are meant to be popcorn films, this is a popcorn game. It is enjoyable, but I have not yet discovered the wealth of choice and change that I had hoped for. Quite the opposite, the story feels pretty directed as if I really have no control over the overall story...I could be wrong, but at this stage (10 hours in) I have not felt in control of the storyline.
  58. Apr 15, 2012
    I've heard KOA: Reckoning being called many things, very few of them good, so naturally I wasn't entirely excited when I picked it up. I heard that most of the features borrowed heavily from Skyrim, and Fable, and played quite a bit like WOW. After playing it for god only knows how long I have come to understand these comparisons, although many of these judgement are wrongly placed.
    The
    The game play itself is actually quite close to a hack and slack game like God of War, where the combat is fluid, and fast paced, and attacking with a mage class weapon called Chakrams even are animated in a similar manner to those of Kratos' blades. However, this is not a bad thing. The class system is about as simple as any with three classes, and the combinations between them to make hybrid classes, and just as in every other fantasy game, the mage is still very much so the most overpowered class. The Chakrams for example are most of the time very powerful, and kill most things at the range a bow. Along with the typical combat and exploration of a fantasy game, the game has a lock picking mini-game which is nearly an exact copy from the Elder Scrolls, but easier by far O.o
    While the game has been dubbed "Baby's first Skyrim" I have to say that KOA is far more enjoyable then Skyrim. The combat is more fun, and adrenaline pumping, and while Skyrim felt more like work every time I turned on my console, KOA feels fun, LIKE A GAME SHOULD BE!!!
    The art design is bright and colourful like that of Fable, without the obvious British overtones, but some have actually complained saying the environments feel claustrophobic even though the world map is huge. The game world itself is actually very open, and highly detailed, more so the Skyrim, the problem is that the camera is angled down towards the ground most times, but once you tilt it up you can see highly textured skies and trees, or tunnel ceilings and rock.
    So why then is the camera angled down like that? you might ask. Well it's a lot like my right hand and the right hand of many other nerds: Beats the f*** out of me!
    The story is also quite well done, but after looking at the cover of the game I wasn't suprised to have a great story seeing it was created by R.A. Salvatore, Todd McFarlane, and ken Rolston who all have written very intriguing and engrossing fantasy stories before. Over all KOA: Reckoning is a great game, and it's a shame that so many will and have overlooked it since it released alongside many other AAA titles. The few errors I have with it are easily overlooked by the rest of the game. I however found it difficult to find in any store, so if you can find it, pick it up! Its an epic tale, in an epic environment (even though the camera hides that) with a colourful art design, and an epic score to go along with it. Well worth the purchase.
  59. Apr 25, 2012
    An RPG like KoA:Real should be more than this. The combat is engaging, but becomes repetitive, and fateshifting makes any battle a sinch. Even respecing your character somehow lacks the feeling of true customization. Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by every aspect, but character interactions deserve a special place in gaming hell. Your character looks like it's completely spaced out, and alwaysAn RPG like KoA:Real should be more than this. The combat is engaging, but becomes repetitive, and fateshifting makes any battle a sinch. Even respecing your character somehow lacks the feeling of true customization. Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by every aspect, but character interactions deserve a special place in gaming hell. Your character looks like it's completely spaced out, and always a little surprise by the horizon. Conversation scenes look like someone's class project, constantly recycling the same gestures. There is no feeling of immersion, and for a game of this scope, that's a death sentence in my book. This game could have been a contender, but this isn't horse shoes or hand grenades. Expand
  60. Apr 28, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur is better than 90 percent of other rpgs. if you like rpgs with deep stories and a great loot system you'll love kingdoms. combat always refreshing with lots of different ways to go. money well spent.
  61. May 18, 2012
    It's been a long time since I've gotten sucked into a game, I can lose track of hours while playing. This game is just plain fun and my score reflects that. Others don't like graphics or facial expressions or some random refresh thing or some blah blah about the story. I'm no expert on those things but I know when I'm having fun.
  62. Jun 28, 2012
    This game is utterly fantastic without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played and ironically it came out 1 week before Mass Effect 3 In England and cost me less than half as much as I paid for Mass Effect 3 collectors editions which is not only a total rip off but the worst game in living memory,so thank God for KOA as it has restored my faith in gaming.
  63. Feb 7, 2012
    What a fantastic game. While the graphics engine isn't perfect (some texture/draw issues), the art direction and environmental graphics are great. It's not just a giant,, ultimately empty, world filled with snow. And finally someone put actual combat into an RPG so i can enjoy fightinginstead of trying to avoid it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Elder Scrolls and similar gamesWhat a fantastic game. While the graphics engine isn't perfect (some texture/draw issues), the art direction and environmental graphics are great. It's not just a giant,, ultimately empty, world filled with snow. And finally someone put actual combat into an RPG so i can enjoy fightinginstead of trying to avoid it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Elder Scrolls and similar games but it's time someone put something out that pushed passed the idea of "giant world=good game" and put some thought into the actual gameplay, instead of riding on the coattails of technical wizardry. Like open world RPGs? Like combo-based combat? Like deep-lore? Get this game. Expand
  64. Feb 8, 2012
    in the first three hours i spent with KoA, my 360 crashed three times. i'm not a big fan of the cartoony look of the game either. also why are all the npc's teeth blue. its very distracting. other than that the combat is fun, but i haven't gotten far enough into the story to know if it will become interesting enough to keep me playing. for the $60 that i spent hoping this game would bein the first three hours i spent with KoA, my 360 crashed three times. i'm not a big fan of the cartoony look of the game either. also why are all the npc's teeth blue. its very distracting. other than that the combat is fun, but i haven't gotten far enough into the story to know if it will become interesting enough to keep me playing. for the $60 that i spent hoping this game would be worth it, i'll keep playing it. i just hope it gets better. so far i'm pretty disappointed. the demo preformed better on my 360 than the final product has which seems a little backwards to me. based on first impressions the best i can give KoA is a 6/10. Expand
  65. Feb 14, 2012
    On receiving this game I thought it was fantastic Rpg/Adventure with great Action. I was really hoping to enjoy this game, BUT!, am now discovering how actually bland and simplistic this game is - esp once your about 7hrs inn!! I was hoping KoA:R would have varied quests and many options/decision- paths/discoveries as described and mentioned by the makers before this games release!!!!..On receiving this game I thought it was fantastic Rpg/Adventure with great Action. I was really hoping to enjoy this game, BUT!, am now discovering how actually bland and simplistic this game is - esp once your about 7hrs inn!! I was hoping KoA:R would have varied quests and many options/decision- paths/discoveries as described and mentioned by the makers before this games release!!!!.. Now with 14hrs of game play(approx); all I've been doing is bashing the attack button, slaying creatures for the many samey side-quests, or, mostly collecting useless loot-items that still involve slaying everything!!!. While combat seems cool and engaging at first, it's nothing more then a series one button presses and occasional block pausing. You can easily take on groups of 4-7 guys with ease!! EVEN ON HARD LEVEL!!..This does start to drag at times, as it doesn't really require anything other then hitting attack, attack, attack!. You walk a few steps before you have to repeat the same action by attacking everything in your way, but without any real challenge, as enemies fall very easily... I actually just run past them now!...Within a few hours play the gameplay in KoA:R does start to become action repetitive, actually very repetitive!!! . This is made worse as KoA:R lacks any real challenge, or required skill, or even discovering enemy weak-points which could have made fighting more varied and interesting. There are many attack options at your disposal, but are not actually required, as you can get through wave after wave of enemies using one same technique with ease. I do find it rather stupid for a game of this sort, that annoyingly, you remain on flat ground!! You can't jump freely or even over anything!. Because of this stupidity!, you are forced to walk around everything just to reach a place you can see a few steps away, but can't, as its blocked by a small rock, fence, water, edge, lake..etc; forcing you to find a longer route or walk around everything just to reach there. You can't even fall/step-off the edge unless its at a very limited fixed game design place!!!!...The world, while attractive and fairly varied, is rather flat as you don't reach high places, no hills, no mountains, no ladders, no high peaks - everything is on ground floor! This is also not a true open world game in the sense of Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout games, as you are funnelled into a one direction with many area architectural designs within the game world fairly similar - though painted with different textures ! The story isn't very engrossing at present (14+hrs played) and seems fairly generic so-far. Also there seems to be NO consequences to the actions you make!! I slaughtered a whole village(inc guards), yet no-one cared! , nothing happened,!!!..this destroys the feeling for a living game world. There isn't much activity gong on within the villages, and can be quiet and empty in many areas outside villages (so-far!). Cut scenes are poor as your character just stands staring of into the distance not reacting to anything; as do other characteres!!. Lip sync is bad too! like a badly dubbed movie. I will continue to play to the end, but it feels I'm using my thumb to bash buttons rather then making deep choices, figuring out things, making moral choices, discovering secrets and stories that effect game direction, or searching for meaningful items/loots to help progress (everything is just thrown at you without ant real discovering!)...KoA;R has become a rather simplified rpg with its streamlined and overlygeneric style. The game has taken away the depth and development of an involving rpg and has instead made it more an arcade large Hack n Slash game!!! If played games like Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Dark Souls, Fallout 3, Divinity II:DKS, The Witcher 2 - KoA:R will seem rather bland compared to other better and deeper rpg's out there!!!! Expand
  66. Feb 8, 2012
    This game is extremely fun. A lot of people are bashing it for not being "open world" like Skyrim. Since i can start in one place and walk to the other end of the map, I consider this open world enough for me. The fact of the matter is that Reckonings gameplay is some of the funnest I have ever played in an RPG. That is where it shines and that is what needs to be considered when buyingThis game is extremely fun. A lot of people are bashing it for not being "open world" like Skyrim. Since i can start in one place and walk to the other end of the map, I consider this open world enough for me. The fact of the matter is that Reckonings gameplay is some of the funnest I have ever played in an RPG. That is where it shines and that is what needs to be considered when buying this game. Skyrim had immense technical problems among its greatness. I have never had Reckoning freeze or glitch. This game runs smooth and the battles are big. The world may resemble the likes of Fable or WoW...But the settings are gorgeous none the less. I think this game takes the deep customization of Skyrim and adds a more fantasy art style like Fable and differentiates it self in regards to gameplay. Many missions are not innovative or anything i have seen before. But being sent to kill enemies and collect whatever it may be has never been this fun to me and i look forward to doing more of it. Expand
  67. Feb 7, 2012
    Exceeds all of my expectations for a game in the A-RPG genre. Gameplay is stellar and unparalleled by any of its competitors. If you're looking for a great game that will be one of the funnest you've played, then this is the one for you.

I was also surprised at how well they integrated the fantastic combat into a lore-laden world. The immersion is instant and perpetual which as an RPG junkie, is a must.
  68. Feb 7, 2012
    This game came as a surprise. Its really good. I signed up on metacritic just so I could give it the rating boost it deserves. We need more good RPG's. Plus the company is based in Rhode Island, and that's where I live. But to remain unbias I will say the game is very easy so far, even on hard. There has only been one boss so far that had me ducking and diving. The combat in thisThis game came as a surprise. Its really good. I signed up on metacritic just so I could give it the rating boost it deserves. We need more good RPG's. Plus the company is based in Rhode Island, and that's where I live. But to remain unbias I will say the game is very easy so far, even on hard. There has only been one boss so far that had me ducking and diving. The combat in this game is awesome and alot of fun. Plus it looks good with explosions, sound effects, blocks, etc. The story has been fun to follow so far, they put alot of work into this game. Expand
  69. Feb 16, 2012
    When this game was about to release i was really excited for it , i mean just take into account the pedigree of talent behind the development team alone plus all the previews and pre-launch talk, mostly on G4 made me want to play KoA . That was then, now it's a completely different story. this game can only be chalked up to a MASSIVE disappointment. i really wish now i had waited for theWhen this game was about to release i was really excited for it , i mean just take into account the pedigree of talent behind the development team alone plus all the previews and pre-launch talk, mostly on G4 made me want to play KoA . That was then, now it's a completely different story. this game can only be chalked up to a MASSIVE disappointment. i really wish now i had waited for the reviews, this one in particular instead of getting caught up in the hype and pre-ordering KoA. Granted the combat is engaging and better than just about every rpg on the market but that is all this game has going for it. The graphics are OK, the camera is sub-par , the voice acting and dialogue are dull and boring. my biggest fault with Amalur is that, with any good rpg, you have an emotional investment in your character as they are an extension of ourselves , and in this respect KoA fails miserably. i tried (45 hours into it) till i just couldn't feign enthusiasm anymore. at no point did the game give me a reason to care about my character or the multitudes of fetch -quests that i was being sent on. all you FANBOYS out there that are waving your pitch forks around need to realize that this game did fail on delivering what it set out to. thank you to the brave few who came out with an honest review of this game while the rest of the reviews pretty much rehashed EA talking points . Expand
  70. Feb 8, 2012
    Okay, if one has played the demo one has played this game! I really wanted to like this game. After only 12 hours of playing this game just grudging though boring fetch quest after boring fetch quest hoping that maybe the best is yet to come. I never want to pick this game up and play this game again. Back to Dark Souls for me. This game is all hype and no substance. First, lets start offOkay, if one has played the demo one has played this game! I really wanted to like this game. After only 12 hours of playing this game just grudging though boring fetch quest after boring fetch quest hoping that maybe the best is yet to come. I never want to pick this game up and play this game again. Back to Dark Souls for me. This game is all hype and no substance. First, lets start off with the story. The story is filled with so many unpronounceable words that it is largely forgettable and takes one right out of the experience. Second, if the experience isn't an immersive experience, who cares about game-play. Thirdly, the cut-scenes just felt very uninspired and dead. Fourthly, This game is not a true open world kinda game, nor is it truly linear either. So what do I mean? The main story itself is linear. The story itself will remain static from beginning to ending and nothing u do in the game will changed that. Which is ironic since this game is suppose to be about having no fate. But their are plenty of fetch quest to detour you from the main quest in other directions giving one the iIlusion of an open world. At best this game deserved a 6/10. I am giving it a 5/10 Expand
  71. Feb 7, 2012
    Si te gusta la mezcla entre Hack & Slash y el RPG este es tu juego, con unos graficos si bien no intentan mostrar realismo es sublime y los detalles lo hacen ver hermoso. Con una buena cantidad de horas de juego este se convierte en un Action-RPG que debes tener.

Una cantidad enorme de quest, armas, puzzles y varios elementos que hacen de reckoning una experiencia que te cautiva, recomendable al 100%.
  72. Feb 7, 2012
    Amazing combat, good story, great customization. You have to go into Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning with an open mind and not expect a 15/10. Solid game that will hold most RPG (And most video game fans) over until their next anticipated game.
  73. Feb 11, 2012
    I had only been following this game for about, ~6 months before release, and it turned out to be everything i expected and more.

The fluidity of combat, the varied environments, and all the rpg you can ask for! The world is big and open, not as open as a TES game, but it's openness is reminiscent of FF12. The combat it engaging, and deeply expansive. Different enemy types require

The combat it engaging, and deeply expansive. Different enemy types require different tactics. Trying to fight a mage like you would a boggart will only lead to failure. Enemies gain new tactics as you enter higher level zones, so it never feels like they are just becoming damage sponges. The combos are easy enough that anyone can pull them off, but are rewarding for those who want to explore them more and use them in the correct situations. Iv'e been playing for 40+ hours now and the combat has never grown stale, the only problem i have with it is that i kill so many enemies their's never enough! The environments are different, even moving from one forest zone to another. One forrest is your classic fantasy forrest, another is covered in the webs of it's arachnid denizens, and yet another is more akin to a swamp. So it never feels repetitive or stale.

The rpgs systems and the loot is where this game sets itself apart from action rpgs and action games. The loot is completely randomized like in games such as borderlands and diablo. You may find yourself decking out in awesome new gear quite commonly. The game feature 3 unique ability trees and 9 non combat skills to customize your very own character. You get 3 ability points and 1 skill point every level. So this game is not an action-rpg, it is a full blown rpg. Never once did i feel like they skimped out on the rpg part of the game to add in more action.(though the combat is fast paced and incredibly fun)

The story is pulling and interesting. There was one point when i thought i had to choose between to main characters and i was obsessing about it for a good ten minutes before i realized that wasn't the case. And every quest has some kind of back story that makes sense. No quests for the sake of quests here, though there is a LOT of fetch quest that require you to go to different parts of the map, but most involve some kind of unique twist at the end that they are all worth the effort.

A game like this does not come without it's problems though. There are a few minor bugs, and in my 40+ hour playtime it crashed on me once. The auto saves are often enough that you will not lose anymore than ten minutes though and the game does not need to pause to auto save.

If you are a fan of bethesdas rpgs, or have just found modern rpgs lacking, or rpgs in general, i would recommend this game to you.
  74. Feb 11, 2012
    Amazing quest structure and lore. Engaging and addictive combat. The world is beautifully designed. Controller integration is flawless and helps the game feel fast paced. I'm about 50 hours in right now and absolutely loving the game. Some of the skills are unbalanced and need tweaking, but this is a phenomenal first effort from 38 Studios/Big Huge Games in the Amalur world.
  75. Feb 11, 2012
    I've just picked up Reckoning and I can say this is great game. The art style while not to everyones taste I'm sure, is vibrant and lively and busting with little details that can easily be over looked if don't take the time to slow down and appricate them

The class and skill system is very well handled allowing the building of flexible, usuable toon and no choice feels like a wasted skill point or an invalid build.

The combat is fast moving and fluid and is helped very much by the superb animations on show here. Some of the best combat in an RPG i think I've ever seen. While the game looks and plays very much like a run of the mill action game but don't be fooled not far beneath the surface is a deep well structured RPG with usual bits and pieces involved including a deep crafting system.

There was some talk pre launch about how open this game would be and the fact that the zones are bubbles linked but tubes. Let me just say the zones are huge each is easily as big as a hold in skyrim its just that they are linked by specific routes.

What loses this game a point for me is slightly generic nature of the story I expected a bit more based on the billing of a 'top rated fantasy author' Still wondering if you should get this? Ask yourself:
    Do I like open games that you can explore?
    Do I Like fantasy settings?
    Do I Like 3rd person combat games?
    Do I Like RPG's?

If the answer is yes to two or more of these then do yourself a favour an check out this game.
  76. Feb 12, 2012
    This game is awesome! I'm having so much fun! IMO, it's what Fable should have been. The action is very fluid. Having a great time crafting equipment!
  77. Feb 15, 2012
    I think that Reckoning has a great story and character development that can't be matched. The graphics are very detailed and the levels are huge. I feel like the difficulty is a little unforegiving, but I hope this changes as I get further in the game. This is simply a huge adventure that shouldn't be missed. I give it an 8 for some control issues at some times and the graphics are not theI think that Reckoning has a great story and character development that can't be matched. The graphics are very detailed and the levels are huge. I feel like the difficulty is a little unforegiving, but I hope this changes as I get further in the game. This is simply a huge adventure that shouldn't be missed. I give it an 8 for some control issues at some times and the graphics are not the best that I have seen, but still make a beautiful world. Expand
  78. Feb 7, 2012
    This game tops any action RPG out there. It reminds me of what Fable was supposed to be. The story isn't anything to brag about, but that's not the focal point here. The combat is where this game shines and it shines well. Do you want to be a Mage who is also good at up close combat? Go ahead, KOA doesn't restrict you like other games in it's genre. It encourages you to mold yourThis game tops any action RPG out there. It reminds me of what Fable was supposed to be. The story isn't anything to brag about, but that's not the focal point here. The combat is where this game shines and it shines well. Do you want to be a Mage who is also good at up close combat? Go ahead, KOA doesn't restrict you like other games in it's genre. It encourages you to mold your character to your exact specifications. Sleeper of the year if I had to guess. Expand
  79. Mar 13, 2012
    Go play Fable, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallout - really any other RPG. KOA is a huge let down. Boring story, generic acting, generic characters, generic quests, generic everything. The decent combat is not enough to save this game. You are better off playing another PG, trust me.
  80. Feb 9, 2012
    At 25 hrs into the game I'd say it is a solid 8-8.5. People giving this game a 10 or very low scores are either blind fan boys or jaded crybabies. I've been playing RPGs for 20 years and would say I have an open and fair attitude toward each game I play.

KoA doesn't bring anything really new to the RPG field per se, but manages to take elements from great games and mash into one package. Combat is KoA's strong suit and it puts most games to shame in this category (Skyrim...). My only gripe is that I haven't encountered any opponents that require any real strategy to defeat, which is disappointing. Basically if you are somewhat competent player shouldn't ever die in this game (other than at the intro scene). I've been playing as a Shadowcaster (mage/rogue hybrid) and it's a blast. Switching between weapons and magic is smooth and fast. KoA has some of the best animations for stealth kills I've seen in any type of game. There's something beautiful about crawling up the back of a big Jottun, slitting his throat and watching the blood spray out.

The main story and quests are on par with current popular wRPGs, nothing terribly impressive or highly engrossing but interesting enough that I'm curious in how it plays out. Main characters lack any real personalities which in turn causes you to be less drawn into the world. I find this to be a growing trend in field (played 160 hrs in Skyrim and I don't think there's a single memorable character in the game, same with my 7 NG+ playthroughs of Dark Souls).

The world is quite large, but it's really not an open world like a Bethesda game. It's more along the lines of a MMO with interconnecting zones. Quests do a good job of moving you around the zones as does self exploration.

The crafting systems are so-so. It would have been nice to actually have some type of leveling associated to them instead of the skill point system that's a direct pull from Dragon Age Origins. The talent trees are pretty solid and are reminiscent of WoW's talent trees. All the talents are useful and can cater to how you want to play the game.

I've encountered a couple very minor glitches so far nothing really major though like Skyrim or Fallout:NV. The biggest issue I've had is with wonky camera angles. One time the camera went into the ground after I killed a guy and I couldn't see the other one I was fighting for 10 seconds or so when the camera righted itself.

I installed the game on my Xbox HD and load times are generally pretty short.

Conclusion:
    If you're looking for a fun RPG to waste some time on KoA: Reckoning is definitely worth your time and money. Just don't go in expecting the next best thing in the RPG realm.
  81. Feb 7, 2012
    This game is an excellent game, it's been a long time coming for an RPG game to include great combat. Picked up the game last night at 12 and have loved every second if it. The story line is intriguing, the quests are very entertaining and the combat is superb. I would recommend this game to just about anyone who like a good rpg or action game, this game has the best of both worlds.
  82. Feb 7, 2012
    Having a very fun time with this game. The crafting systems in this game are most enjoyable, the combat is fluid and fun. If you can put up with some generic fantasy cliches this game is a must buy.
  83. Feb 7, 2012
    This game is fun...which is more i can say about a lot of the newer games that get bogged-down in attempting technical or systems brilliance.

Are the graphics dated? No, not really. They definitely are more colorful and brighter than Skyrim's...in a pleasant way. I suppose people who equate monochromatic worlds with excellence will be dissapointed... Personally I prefer this art style to the muted Bethesda one.

Is the specialization system ground breaking? No, but it works well in letting you create an hybrid you care to dream up or the "pure" fighter, mage or rogue archetypes.

Are the quests innovative? No, not really. They serve the basic purpose of sending you to x,y to do stuff and get rewarded for it. But then all RPGs do this. Even the most highly praised and innovative systems--like SWTOR for example--do exactly this once you strip off the fluff. I've played SWTOR enough to max 2 characters. The quests there are given in well-acted cut scenes which is it's innovative contribution to RPGs. However, 95% of those quests are all about wading through walls of mobs to kill the one (or 10) mobs that must be killed or fetch (or destroy) the 10 items. Along the way you get new "bonus" quests given that involve killing another 40 mobs for extra credit. Like I said, all RPGs do it and judging one poorly on the basis of lack of innovative quests (as Gamespot did) just tells me that the reviewer doesn't know how to look beyond the fluff to the meat of the game play: at their most basic, killing and fetching is what we do in RPGs.

Combat is awesome with great graphics and movement and a multitude of combos to use and enjoy. And all classes get combos. Best of all, the mages don't get left out: they get combos too.

Crafting options are also well implemented with a system that makes it relatively simple to make useful items as long as you invest points in your chosen skill(s)

The last 3 games I've spent many hours playing have been Skyrim, SWTOR and this one. I'm having the most fun wioth this one...enough said.
  84. Feb 8, 2012
    A decidedly average RPG with not an original idea in sight.The story,touted as the work of Bob Salvatore,is bland.Some gameplay elements such as stealth and crafting are decent,but nothing you haven't done before.The good news is that the game is quite lengthy and the combat system is deep.However,tech issues not withstanding,compared to the truly great RPGs of this generation,namelyA decidedly average RPG with not an original idea in sight.The story,touted as the work of Bob Salvatore,is bland.Some gameplay elements such as stealth and crafting are decent,but nothing you haven't done before.The good news is that the game is quite lengthy and the combat system is deep.However,tech issues not withstanding,compared to the truly great RPGs of this generation,namely Skyrim,Dark Souls,Fallout 3 and Mass Effect,KOA:R is just a bit meh. Expand
  85. Mar 1, 2012
    First let me say that I've put 78 hours into playing this game,actually beating it in that time.I have to say that it is a great game and deserving of an 8 but that is it.It in no way even comes close to Skyrim in any way shape or form.Fable 2 and 3 are better and oblivion is by far better so I just wanted to get that out of the way.This game is a awesome game,don't get me wrong but itFirst let me say that I've put 78 hours into playing this game,actually beating it in that time.I have to say that it is a great game and deserving of an 8 but that is it.It in no way even comes close to Skyrim in any way shape or form.Fable 2 and 3 are better and oblivion is by far better so I just wanted to get that out of the way.This game is a awesome game,don't get me wrong but it does not belong up there with those titles I mentioned.It more belongs to how Baldur's gate was on the ps2 cause that's exactly where it should be regarded as.It's got it's wow moments but so does a lot of games trying to achieve something they just can't.By all regards it's a great title but it's a bunch of hours you spend that could of been spent better if the company would of thought this game through more,but that's what first outtings are about.There next game will be better,no doubt,but for what this game is,I will say great,awesome but not Oh my God like Skyrim! Expand
  86. Feb 13, 2012
    Despite of its dull characters, the slow beginning of the storyline, the game provides us many hours of entertaining of its interesting gameplay, good graphics, and a huge world. Although its creatures, area, and side quests are little generic, but it's worth to spend hours for this game.
  87. Mar 18, 2012
    The story of this game is awful and the people dont make me give a little care about the mission, the graphics are childish and too colorful. the sound is awful. the gameplay combat is pretty good - even excellent but there is too much problems in the game for it too be a good game.
  88. Feb 7, 2012
    I wanted to like this game but there's just so much holding it back, the color palette and graphic design is pretty upsetting. It's like they went through a World of Warcraft filter and picked out the worst color combinations imaginable. And the NPC faces, they make Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion facial animation look good. Along with wrestling with the camera throughout your play session thisI wanted to like this game but there's just so much holding it back, the color palette and graphic design is pretty upsetting. It's like they went through a World of Warcraft filter and picked out the worst color combinations imaginable. And the NPC faces, they make Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion facial animation look good. Along with wrestling with the camera throughout your play session this games leaves much to be desired. Expand
  89. Feb 7, 2012
    Awesome awesome awesome! Combat is amazing, no stale model here! You'll use all elements of combat not just magic or melee. Great story so far, great gameplay, huge game world I thought I was sucked in by Skyrim, man am I going to be in trouble with this one!!! GET IT!!!
  90. Feb 7, 2012
    5 hours in and i'm loving it. Don't listen to g4 they are Skyrim fanboys. This game is great, the combat is amazing and there's loot everywhere. This story is less about decisions and more about being told a story. you should definitely get it!
  91. Feb 12, 2012
    A generic RPG seemingly devoid of the all-star talent they've advertised at every opportunity. Todd McFarlane has either become extremely unimaginative, or produced a few sets of armor and weapons and called it a day. R.A. Salvatore urinated out the most boring dialog I've seen in an RPG. While this game delivers for the first hour or so, it's easily something that loses it's luster. TheA generic RPG seemingly devoid of the all-star talent they've advertised at every opportunity. Todd McFarlane has either become extremely unimaginative, or produced a few sets of armor and weapons and called it a day. R.A. Salvatore urinated out the most boring dialog I've seen in an RPG. While this game delivers for the first hour or so, it's easily something that loses it's luster. The combat is solid enough, with a few skills that are pretty useless since that game can be beat by mashing "A" until everything is dead. This includes the several dozen boss fights that involve the boss summoning ten or so cronies to fight you at the same time. It becomes routine, mechanical, and boring. The lack of variation in character's attire and weapons offers no excitement for acquiring loot. The quest lines leave much to be desired, and are relatively devoid of any interesting elements. Some of the more interesting ones almost seem plucked from Elder Scrolls games of the past, with characters such as the Lord of the Hunt and curses involving such a person. Combat offers many paths, so long as you want to use one of the nine weapons provided. It feels rather limited for a fantasy RPG, to be honest. Many of the abilities provided for each of the classes (finesse, might and sorcery) are ultimately flashy and useless, especially in the games offered "hard mode" where stagger occurs with just about every hit. A majority of the game will be spent mashing that "A" button and guzzling health potions to get through the game, rather than any amount of skill.

The game doesn't seem to be as free roaming as advertised. A lot of the area is inaccessible and the map leads you to believe it's a lot larger than it is. Unfortunately, a lot of the land if uninspired, and there's not a whole lot to get lost in when exploring. Most exploring will be pushed by quests, rather than wanderlust.

The game's lore is well established, but the name-dropping by NPCs mid-dialog is intrusive and poorly done. If they are so well known, why haven't I heard about them before this point? While reading in game lore can be amusing, the game relies on it for any sort of feeling of grandeur in your actions, which leaves the player to respond "kay" everytime some random hero of the past is referenced.

The only redeeming qualities of this game are the high points of the main quest. The main quest is entertaining enough, but there's enough fluff in between the main quest points to bore all but the most bored of players.

I game with my girlfriend, and this is one of the few games that while looking across each one another's shoulder, we don't have the urge to buy another copy so we can both play.

Overall, this game is mediocre at best. Those blinded by the promise of a new and interesting experience have clung to that idea, and let the lack of polished content go unnoticed. While this may be enough for some, those looking for a well refined RPG experience may want to wait for Mass Effect, or pick up Skyrim if they haven't already. KoA:R is unfortunately not in a shape that can be spruced up with patches, but rather, a complete retooling of a large chunk of the game.
  92. Feb 7, 2012
    This game is one of the best games you will ever play. Did you like Skyrim? This game is way better. Did you like God of War? This game is way better. Basically this game delivers everything and anything you hope for in an amazing game. They even give you free DLC on the first day! Big Huge Games & 38 Studios hit it out of the park with this one! It's awesome being able toThis game is one of the best games you will ever play. Did you like Skyrim? This game is way better. Did you like God of War? This game is way better. Basically this game delivers everything and anything you hope for in an amazing game. They even give you free DLC on the first day! Big Huge Games & 38 Studios hit it out of the park with this one! It's awesome being able to customize your character any way you prefer. You aren't stuck with the generic mage class or warrior class. You can pick any combination and you are still rewarded for doing so! Go buy this game you won't be disappointed! Expand
  93. Feb 8, 2012
    This is a really good game for any true RPG fan. I will start with the bad news. The graphics are slightly outdated, and subtitles aren't synced very well at times. Other than that, it has a nice massive world, with tons of lore. Each person you talk to has something slightly different to say. The combat is ridiculously awesome and will have you immersed for a very long time. TheThis is a really good game for any true RPG fan. I will start with the bad news. The graphics are slightly outdated, and subtitles aren't synced very well at times. Other than that, it has a nice massive world, with tons of lore. Each person you talk to has something slightly different to say. The combat is ridiculously awesome and will have you immersed for a very long time. The game took many things from many other RPG's but polished them and implemented them in ways that make the game truly shine at times. Considering this is the studios first game they did an outstanding job. I've been playing RPG's for the past 16 years and this one is going right up at the top with the best of them...maybe not THE best, but its tied for 3rd at minimum. It's a great game that one should at least try. Expand
  94. Feb 11, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur is an interesting game for sure. After the great Skyrim it is not easy to launch a role playing game and expect it to meet the now growing expectations of gamers. But all in all, Reckoning stand out on his own as a great game. It is not perfect, but the total package is well worth a buy. The gameplay is excellent, and should hold on for many hours of adventuring in theKingdoms of Amalur is an interesting game for sure. After the great Skyrim it is not easy to launch a role playing game and expect it to meet the now growing expectations of gamers. But all in all, Reckoning stand out on his own as a great game. It is not perfect, but the total package is well worth a buy. The gameplay is excellent, and should hold on for many hours of adventuring in the world of Amalur. Don't miss this quiet jewel. Expand
  95. Feb 11, 2012
    Not much too say. Ignore the trolls. I will freely admit I am a fan boy. I gave it a 9. It could use an extra difficulty level and first 15 levels can be made in about equal amount of hours, but no way is this game a pushover. Lots...LOTS of great random generated as well as hand tooled loot. Player housing is a source of income. HUGE world. Narrative is so in depth, take you timeNot much too say. Ignore the trolls. I will freely admit I am a fan boy. I gave it a 9. It could use an extra difficulty level and first 15 levels can be made in about equal amount of hours, but no way is this game a pushover. Lots...LOTS of great random generated as well as hand tooled loot. Player housing is a source of income. HUGE world. Narrative is so in depth, take you time and enjoy the stories that are off the beaten path. There are some degree of fetch quests, but the reward, where they lack in lucrative pay out give a nice emotional twist. Expand
  96. Mar 13, 2012
    There were to many samey side quests. Go here, kill x amount of y and bring back 12 of their such and such. There was never a point where I felt like I needed to continue playing because neither the story nor the gameplay were engrossing enough to continue. The combat is just hammer X to win, the ranged combat is just terrible (I don't know why they thought autolock and replenishing arrowsThere were to many samey side quests. Go here, kill x amount of y and bring back 12 of their such and such. There was never a point where I felt like I needed to continue playing because neither the story nor the gameplay were engrossing enough to continue. The combat is just hammer X to win, the ranged combat is just terrible (I don't know why they thought autolock and replenishing arrows was a good thing.), and I never got into the magic part of it. All in all it was a disappointing game and I really did want to like it but it was just so damn mediocre and bland. Expand
  97. Feb 9, 2012
    As advertised from the very beginning, Reckoning is indeed a "guided" open world game. The combat is a breath of fresh air, combining elements of hack n' slash and action games residing over a sturdy and deep traditional RPG stat system that's sure to give you the satisfaction of both a standard RPG spreadsheet character along with the awesome combat of something similar to God of War. TheAs advertised from the very beginning, Reckoning is indeed a "guided" open world game. The combat is a breath of fresh air, combining elements of hack n' slash and action games residing over a sturdy and deep traditional RPG stat system that's sure to give you the satisfaction of both a standard RPG spreadsheet character along with the awesome combat of something similar to God of War. The world is alive and majestic, easily overtaking its peers in terms of immersion and sense of wonder. I'd like to reiterate that the game was never marketed as anything other than "guided open world". Folks who are upset that the game is not nearly as open as Skyrim have simply failed to be good consumers and do proper research into the product they are buying. The voice acting is phenomenal, rivaling some of the best RPGs to date. Although this appears to be an area of contention among reviewers, it's important to note that this is one of the more subjective categories of game review. Crafting is surprisingly deep, allowing you to customize your equipment to fit your playstyle rather than your standard spam professions present in World of Warcraft or Skyrim. The graphics are heavily stylized in a comic book fashion. It's no wonder with the likes of Todd McFarlane heading development there. The story is rich and unique, playing on several real life political themes as well as your standard fantasy flair. In terms of high fantasy, Reckoning stands apart from your cliche genre, introducing a new type of elf - the Alfar - which are quite different from your Lord of the Rings derivations you might be used to. In addition, many unique creatures call Amalur their home, including Jottun and Boggarts. I'd point out that most reviews here seem to be comparing the game directly to Skyrim, which makes me believe that there are more than a few angry TES fanboys who are non-too-happy about having a challenger to the open world throne. Unfortunately, they'll have to learn to deal with it, as Reckoning has finally provided RPG fans with a game that can have elements of other genres (particularly combat), while staying true to long-standing RPG conventions running behind the scenes, such as stats. I'd've given Reckoning a 10 but it is not without faults. The camera leaves a bit to be desired, and there could be a few more graphics options on PC. Expand
  98. Feb 14, 2012
    This cast of fantastic game designers have taken the best parts of so many games and have create one better than all of them. If you've enjoyed Fable, Darksiders, Torchlight even, you will love this one. It is so gorgeous, the music is incredible, reminiscent of Rockstar's Bully, The fighting system is loads of fun, you never stop improving your character, there is an incredible amount ofThis cast of fantastic game designers have taken the best parts of so many games and have create one better than all of them. If you've enjoyed Fable, Darksiders, Torchlight even, you will love this one. It is so gorgeous, the music is incredible, reminiscent of Rockstar's Bully, The fighting system is loads of fun, you never stop improving your character, there is an incredible amount of things to do and ways to improve your character, the missions are fun and varied, the plot is interesting, and it seems to never get boring, the longer I play the more incredible it seems. The magic the weapons the special moves, just so many things to look forward to and so much loot it'll make you hungry for more. It is truly a game that is impossible to put down once you've started it. The camera isn't ideal but you'll get used to it, and the dialog and NPC textures might put some off a bit early on, but once you get into the game, all these things disappear into the background and you're left with an incredible experience that will get you hooked for very long hours. Haven't had this much fun in a long time. Expand
  99. Feb 7, 2012
  100. Feb 7, 2012
    Are the "professional reviewers" playing the same game I am? Because giving this game marks as high as Skyrim is ridiculous. The menu and dialog system is clunky and obtrusive, graphically the game's backgrounds look great but the character models look like they were made back in 2007. The music is decent, but nowhere near the same level as work by other composers for RPGs or MMOs (such asAre the "professional reviewers" playing the same game I am? Because giving this game marks as high as Skyrim is ridiculous. The menu and dialog system is clunky and obtrusive, graphically the game's backgrounds look great but the character models look like they were made back in 2007. The music is decent, but nowhere near the same level as work by other composers for RPGs or MMOs (such as Blizzard's Russell Brower or Jeremy Soule) , and the sound effects range from so-so to ear grating. Texture pop in and texture glitches abound, the draw distance is absolutely horrid, the plot has been terribly disjointed, and the God of War-meets-Fable style of arcade-y combat gameplay rewards melee combat heavily over ranged and magic. The world isn't an "open world" format, it's an open area where players are limited to exploring specific areas with copious amounts of load time transitions between designated areas. ||| There is enough here for me to rate it slightly above average and keep me interested in the future of 38Studios and Big Huge Games, but compared to other games in the genre it's not worthy of an 8, 9 or 10 score. Ultimately, this is a game people might play for a month to tide them over and then trade it in so they can pick up Mass Effect 3. Aside: Now watch as all the fanboys come out to rate down this review because truth hurts. 12 hours in and I'm already deathly bored of the "great combat system". Oh, sure, I can make another class or build my class a different way - only to play essentially the same way. The game is mediocre and will NEVER be remembered in the same league as Bioware's or Bethesda's WRPGs. It's "Too Human", all over again: Lots of hype, lots of chest pounding, and ultimately forgettable. Expand

1. Apr 11, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is not all bad, it's just very bland. For a game that was in development for roughly seven years, the different gameplay systems don't seem all that well-thought-out. And perhaps the lengthy development also explains why Amalur brings absolutely nothing fresh to the table. It simply lacks its own identity.
    In terms of laying the groundwork for future iterations, Reckoning does an incredible job of establishing the lore as well as the world of Amalur itself. On the other hand, it fails to dish up a compelling single-player narrative, as the main plotline lacks substance and culminates in an almost cliché boss encounter by today's standards.
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a hoot to play. It feels like Fable done right, like a third person Skyrim edited to a workable size.