L.A. Noire Xbox 360

7.8

1. May 21, 2011
    Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer,Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer, no change in choice. Once you beat this game it's over. In today's days, I'm not sure any game that does not have multiplayer or strong replay value of some sort gets over a 7. Expand
  2. Jan 1, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the BlackI was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the Black Dahlia, but I didn't like everything else you did in the game. The characters were kinda dull, especially the main character. I definitely didn't Cole and his character as he really wasn't very likable, nor could you relate to him very easily. The sandbox portions of this game were very lacking and that's especially sad coming from a company that was affiliated with Rockstar during the development of this game. Now there were some good things in this game. The well documented Motion Scan for all the facial animations was very nice and groundbreaking. However there were more bad things than good with this game for me and that's very disappointing for a game with such promise. There were some good things here that they could have capitalized on to make a tremendous game. Instead this game will forever be in the category of what could have been, along with Duke Nukem Forever. Expand
  3. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, it looks really nice, but fun factor wise i give a 6
  4. Jun 4, 2011
    If you are looking for a best facial animations in gaming history then you'll love LA Noire. However, if you're looking for a varied and involving experience you may be slightly let down like me. Heavy Rain is a much better game in terms of 'an interactive movie experience' as after the first half of LA Noire you'll be starting to wonder if there is more to the game than driving slowlyIf you are looking for a best facial animations in gaming history then you'll love LA Noire. However, if you're looking for a varied and involving experience you may be slightly let down like me. Heavy Rain is a much better game in terms of 'an interactive movie experience' as after the first half of LA Noire you'll be starting to wonder if there is more to the game than driving slowly from A to B and deciding whether people are being A - Truthful, B - Withholding or C - Lying judging by their over emphasised facial expressions. To begin with the gameplay is fascinating and the graphics will blow you away, but ultimately this is a shallow gaming experience which tries to be deeper than it is with overly long investigations and an insight into the character you play as. Cole Phelps is not your typical Rockstar-esque protagonist; he dreams of a perfect world and plays by the rules, so much so that you'll wish he could just pistol whip some suspects for a change as they surely did back in those days. Forced plot lines spoil what has gone before later in the game, but I won't give anything away.

In terms of gun action, it's a shame that there isn't more of this in LA Noire as the cover-shoot dynamic is as good as in the GTA games. These encounters become very similar / predictable the more the game goes on and things aren't varied by weapons as Cole generally only carries a pistol. Car chases add another side mission task, but I found these to be pre-determined so that the car you were chasing couldn't be caught until it inevitably ran off the road itself allowing you to make the arrest. Seriously, you can smash / shoot the crap out of the cars but it aint stopping until the game engine dictates it. Overall, I found the game to be far too linear and stiff with the over-arching story a little weak which is surprising considering Rockstar's strength in story telling. After the first half you'll desperately want something exciting to happen, but it just doesn't come and you'll still drive from A to B and repeat the same structure until the end. For a piece of graphical achievement I'd recommend this, but if you're looking for an interactive adventure that you keep you on the edge of your seat take a serious look at Heavy Rain.
  5. Jun 10, 2011
    When i saw the trailers to this game i admit that it looked very impressive, but when you think about it all you saw where the cut scenes, and that is exactly what you get. This game (and i use that word very loosely) is more like a tech demo with a couple of bits tagged on to play.Graphically the motionscan works very well and there are some genuinely impressive parts where the actingWhen i saw the trailers to this game i admit that it looked very impressive, but when you think about it all you saw where the cut scenes, and that is exactly what you get. This game (and i use that word very loosely) is more like a tech demo with a couple of bits tagged on to play.Graphically the motionscan works very well and there are some genuinely impressive parts where the acting really shines through, my real problem is the lack of action.I play games to be excited and exhilarated and L.A. Noire did neither for me, i really tried to enjoy it but in the end it felt like a case of the emperors new clothes. Every case is the same-go to an area,find clues,drive somewhere,look for clues,complete a very quick chase,charge someone and repeat. To be honest im disappointed and i expected more from one of the finest publishers to ever grace the gaming world. Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2011
    About two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of havingAbout two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of having to restart the game from scratch or abandon the effort. I quickly realized I have no interest in doing it all again so I will probably trade the game in this weekend. There is nothing broken about the game (other than my corrupted file) - it's just repetitive, and not that interesting once you get over the novelty. I definately give Rockstar an "A" for effort both in trying a new game format and a new game setting but there has to be more to a game than novelty. Expand
  7. May 25, 2011
    Now, I would first like to say that I am NOT a mainstream gamer. Sure, I play Halo: Reach online every now and then, but for the most part, I would prefer a more unique experience, such as the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Dead Space series. So, when I read in GameInformer about a game called L.A. Noire, I got genuinely excited. Heck, I had only a penny left after I hadNow, I would first like to say that I am NOT a mainstream gamer. Sure, I play Halo: Reach online every now and then, but for the most part, I would prefer a more unique experience, such as the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Dead Space series. So, when I read in GameInformer about a game called L.A. Noire, I got genuinely excited. Heck, I had only a penny left after I had bought it. This game made me effectively go broke. It wasn't worth it.

Now, the gameplay is interesting, I will say that. You scour a crime scene looking for clues, and then interview any suspects that you have. To get suspects, you may sometimes have to chase them, on foot or in vehicle. These sequences are meant to change the pace of gameplay, which, while I admire the effort, become tiresome when they happen. Also, the game has been lauded for its facial capture technology, which allows fully accurate capture of the actor's performance. The animations are solid as many of the actors give good performances, but the faces themselves seem rather low-grade in comparison. They don't look horrible, just not that good. That, or I just have a crappy T.V. The surrounding world that you inhabit is a very convincing recreation of the 1940s, from the housing to the cars to the clothes that people wore.

Now, since you play as a detective, you happen to progress through different desks of the LAPD: Patrol, Traffic, Homicide, Vice, and Arson. In each of these stages you are assigned a partner, each of whom has their own personality. The only partner I can honestly say that I didn't like is Roy Earle of Vice. He is just an enormous douchebag. The others are fine. The character you play as, Cole Phelps, is a war hero of the Pacific campaign who has joined the LAPD to make the world a better place, and to potentially right some of the wrongs he committed in the war. He is a flawed character, eventually making a choice along the road that damages his once good name. Now, I have nothing against flawed characters, as I find that when done well, they can be the most interesting. But to be honest, I found Cole Phelps to be uninteresting and boring. Oh, and the "wrong choice" that I mentioned, yeah, I pretty much lost all sympathy in him after that. Then again, that may just be me.

Now, while I will complement the innovation that some of the gameplay possessed, there is still one flaw in the experience: It often gets boring. It also doesn't help that the most interesting cases are the Homicide cases, which occur in the middle of the game. Perhaps it may have helped if they gave the gamer a little more in the way of choice, such as in a BioWare title, but the story itself is pretty linear, so it just makes me think that this would have been better off as a TV series. Now to be honest (and I am kind of ashamed to admit this), I didn't truly complete the game. I made it past the first case in the Arson desk, and just gave up afterwards. I looked up the ending on YouTube, and it was underwhelming. I mean, 20 hours and THAT'S all they give you? They do give you the opportunity to replay cases in an attempt to get a better rating, but honestly, I don't see the logic in playing a level in a mystery/detective game once you know what's going to happen.

Now to be honest, this game isn't horrible. It's just not the kind of game I like. There is an audience out there for this game, of that there is no doubt. For now, however, I think I'm good with Xbox Live arcade titles instead. Or that Hunted: THe Demon's Forge game that comes out next week. Hopefully, I'll like that more. And if not, than I have to stop pre-ordering.
  8. Jul 30, 2011
    You cannot really think of this as a video game. Its more like an interactive film.

Although the story telling, acting and atmosphere are amazing, I found the crucial interrogation system to be deeply flawed. If I got a question wrong I would quit out to the menu and reload from the same point, otherwise I miss out on the plot which is VERY irritating. I think they could have explored the morality aspect a bit more, it would be interesting if you weren't such a clean cut cop. If you had the ability to take bribes, plant evidence or force confessions with violence I think it would have made the game more interesting because even though Cole Phelps does everything by the book, the player should be able to make their own decisions. Instead, I felt like a passenger following him around.
  9. May 19, 2011
    I'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy andI'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy and unrealistic, but not too bad. Foot chases are always the exact same thing and it gets a little repetitive. All chases are heavily scripted, and the runner is always faster than Cole. It doesn't even really feel like you're chasing them, just following them until the scene ends. The action on a whole is pretty sub-par and just not very engaging.

On the graphics front, it's not too bad. The face animation is unlike anything you've seen in a game before and is definitely this game's biggest accomplishment. Player animations are pretty smooth on a whole; Cole tends to make smooth transitions from walking, to running, to jumping over an obstacle, to climbing a drainpipe. However, there are a few sloppy animations, such as the snap to cover, in which it looks as though Cole is practically teleporting into the nearest cover. The graphics otherwise are pretty good, textures are great, as are the models; but everything looks a little blurry, and the framerate has trouble staying smooth in quite a few areas.

Now, for where the game really shines: it's story, and playing as a detective. Each case feels unique (aside from the very predictable chases that ensue every time you find the culprit), and become increasingly challenging as Cole moves up the food chain. The player rarely feels at a loss, however, because with the careful spending of intuition points, the player can make it through the most difficult interrogations flawlessly. Clue finding feels rewarding when you stumble onto a clue amidst the junk, but is never too difficult. If the player is having a hard time finding clues, the player has the option to turn on some context sensitive sounds, such as a chime when you're near something that can be investigated, to help point them in the right direction. However, detective-work can become irritating for perfectionists, as the game will continue even if you fail to collect all clues in the area and correctly gauge each suspect. This can lead to the frequent need to load a save, which is all that much more annoying due to the fact that there is no "Load Checkpoint" option. The player is forced to quit to the main menu and hit resume game, which will put him back at the start of the last location he entered, forcing him to recollect all clues before getting back to the interrogation.

Overall, the game's core elements (story and detective-work) feel pretty on (thanks in no small part to the impressive MotionScan technology), but is ultimately held back by the rest of the game; feeling half finished and underwhelming, as well as a few development oversights, such as the lack of a decent checkpoint system, forcing you to replay large sections of the game should you screw up. To give a score, I think a 7/10 feels about right.
  10. May 24, 2011
    Solid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you playSolid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you play with subtitles you are ruining the experience. Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull byI was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull by the time you get to disc 2 (On Xbox). It's very repetitive, and seems lacking in the depth I expected from the game. However, that said, it's still good enough to keep playing but if you haven't got it already, I'd suggest waiting for the price to drop before forking out your hard-earned. Expand
  12. May 18, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The art is amazing, the facial animations are gorgeous, and everything looks very polished. The music is good, the voice acting is believable, and the sound effects work. The narrative is solid. I'm not in love with it, and it takes a very very long time to develop. The gameplay on the other hand is dull. The pacing of the game is very slow. The same mechanics areThis game is beautiful. The art is amazing, the facial animations are gorgeous, and everything looks very polished. The music is good, the voice acting is believable, and the sound effects work. The narrative is solid. I'm not in love with it, and it takes a very very long time to develop. The gameplay on the other hand is dull. The pacing of the game is very slow. The same mechanics are used throughout the game. One mechanic in the game, finding clues, never felt fun. I just felt like I was running around waiting for vibrations. It reminded me of another game... Mass Effect 2 and its mining system. Honestly... the only difference between the two is that this looked prettier, but Mass Effect 2 was at least kind enough to make looking for resources optional. Being a bit harsh here, and I know this isn't how all people will play it, but the two mechanics are very similar. Interrogating people isn't much better. It is usually too obvious that someone is hiding something, but sometimes I feel good for having guessed correctly. There are numerous points where it just feels stupid that I'd be calling someone out on something. The system just felt too limited. Combat was almost as fun as any other Rockstar game. It has never been the reason I'd play one and it still isn't in this game. I would have liked to have kept weapons I picked up. Driving was the same as ever.

I felt like I had already played everything the game had to offer in the first 30 minutes. It definitely was not worth the $60 though I hope the $$$ this game makes enables other people to do similar things with facial animation. I wish it was actual open world. I missed owning a home, upgrading it, buying things for my character and getting more involved with my character's life. Rockstar failed when deciding how much help they gave you. They held your hand in finding clues and let you know when you had them all. It wasn't up to you to decide if something was useful or not, they decided for you. Then during the interviews, they left you to your own devices. The feedback during interviews was a lot worse than it was in finding clues.

I found Heavy Rain to be a much more satisfying experience. I felt more connected to my characters, the narrative was paced better, and the lack of control ensured that the pacing was still there. I wouldn't recommend this game, but I won't tell people not to buy it either. This is definitely a game that some people will love and justifiably so. It just isn't for me.
  13. May 18, 2011
    On the surface, this game seems innovative, with an interesting concept and a great setting. Once I sat down to play the game, however, I was stunned at how incredibly boring it was. Look at stuff, talk to people, chase someone, rinse, repeat. A couple of over-arching stories are hinted at, but they don't get back to them very quickly.

Despite the fact the game is on three discs, and

Despite the fact the game is on three discs, and the graphics are not all they could be to accommodate all the acting and evidence data, the restrictions of the medium are keenly felt. It's like a choose-your-own adventure book bought out of the cheap bin. You have the option to do things in a non-linear order, but if you do the story seldom makes all that much sense. And speaking of making sense, many of the decisions you make don't make any sense at all, particularly if you do everything in the order it's given on your list. Why would I give a suspect more time to get away so I can go talk to the family right this instant? Phone in that license plate and find the driver of the hit and run? No, we have to go talk to the man's wife first. Don't worry, it's a video game, so the driver will still be there when you get to it.

The acting is decent, the graphics aren't up to current standards (and not as good as Red Dead Redemption) and the music is dull and lifeless. The typical Rockstar driving game is still in, and it's completely unnecessary and detracts from the pacing. Phelps' responses while he's interrogating someone are caricatures of old forties movies, and there's no room for subtlety. You either treat someone like they're angels of honesty, or you accuse them of murder. There's no rapport-building or teasing out information. You hit like a Mack truck or not at all.

I won't say it's not worth playing, but it certainly isn't worth buying new. Wait until the price comes down. That way if you get as impossibly bored as I did you won't feel like you've wasted so much.
  14. May 18, 2011
    This is not GTA - 1940's. You should be made completely aware of this before you decide to buy the game. The game really is pretty basic in it's game play. The basic game play is as follows:

1) Drive to Point A 2) Search for Clues 3) Interview someone 4) Get graded 5) Drive to Point B if necessary 6) Repeat When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls

1) Drive to Point A
    2) Search for Clues
    3) Interview someone
    4) Get graded
    5) Drive to Point B if necessary
    6) Repeat

When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls where you can intercept crimes. This basically consists of a shootout or chasing down a criminal across streets, up buildings and over fences.

The unfortunate part of all this is that it gets old fast. The story is good and the characters are somewhat interesting, so you keep plugging along, but you get the undying urge to want to drive/run all around the city to start trouble or see what you can get into, but it is not necessary and therefore you feel like this massive city was created for naught.

Although I enjoyed the story, it feels like there is a HUGE piece of the game that was untapped or hidden or just plain forgot about. Although the city is alive and buzzing, you feel unattached to it and its citizens and you are left wondering about all the things that could have been added to the GAME PLAY outside of the story that would have made this a Titan of a game.

The Save system might be my biggest gripe of all. It's autosave and you have no way of saving when you want, no way of reloading and trying a scenario out differently. The frustration in this is that you will sometimes know exactly how a crime went down but you might have picked the wrong question and steered the ending in a direction you did not want.

All in all, I do commend the developers for trying something new, but if this was given another year, and there was focus outside of the story, I couldn't imagine what this could have become.

Some other reviewer mentioned that this is Carmen Sandeigo for adults and I honestly couldn't agree more.
  15. May 18, 2011
    Perhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lyingPerhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lying they'll start to smile. "Oh officer, my husband's dead!? Smirk" if anything, they really detracted from the feel. As well, the faces look like sweaty face molds pulled over a mannequin's face: they're good, but there's something off about them. But this being said, the game looks good otherwise, capturing the City of LA in it's hey-day beautifully. Another disappointment are the driving mechanics. For a company like Rockstar to drop the ball here is a real crying shame. The cars feel like something that were tacked on last minute. They drive like boulders. Perhaps this is because they're 1940's models, but still, if you can make a Horse feel effortless (Red Dead series) I would expect the same here. Another step back from previous Rockstar games is the shooting. Shootouts are ever so awkward. I think you have unlimited ammo (the game doesn't tell you how much you have) and aiming is a pain, even with auto help on. And now on to the bread and butter of the game: crime scenes and clue finding. Clue finding is simple, look around a crime scene and press the A button until the music goes away. Interrogations function the same way, watch what face they're making (they only ever make 4 different faces) and press the corresponding button. Crimes are easy to solve and replay value is minimal, seeing as there are only so many crimes and once you solve it once, it's hard to go back and resolve. Overall, the gameplay detracts from the main experience. All of this being said, the game is still saved by it's plot and atmosphere. It truly puts you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, and the added backdrop of post war LA boosts this, something I wasn't expecting. However, the characters are fairly shallow, in a game that makes me feel like a Law & Order detective, I would expect to feel something for my partner, or even myself, but the game falls short. This being said, the game is only about cases.

In the end, if you like to watch Law & Order, you'll enjoy this video-game, however if you're looking for the next Rockstar hit, this is not it.
  16. May 23, 2011
    This takes all the fun of GTA and Red Dead (open environment, being a general nuisance to society) and turns it into story after story after story. The artwork and animation are amazing, but it simply IS NOT fun to play. It is painfully repetitive, and I don't understand why there is no open world experience like that of all other Rockstar games. If they would just turn open world "on"This takes all the fun of GTA and Red Dead (open environment, being a general nuisance to society) and turns it into story after story after story. The artwork and animation are amazing, but it simply IS NOT fun to play. It is painfully repetitive, and I don't understand why there is no open world experience like that of all other Rockstar games. If they would just turn open world "on" in this, it would be a hit. Expand
  17. May 18, 2011
    The best cRPG game I have ever played. beautiful graphics, epic history, very good sound and perfect game play. I hope, this is the game of 2011. Noting more to say.
  18. May 17, 2011
    The presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazingThe presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazing game. As it stands, the clunky mechanics and lack of any real challenge in either action or investigation cause LA Noire to fall a little short. Expand
  19. Jun 13, 2011
    Good game.
    Too much hype maybe for the "facial motion scan" technology used in this game which is honestly impressive. And it's the core of the game. Sadly, it's impact is mitigated on the overall experience. Nevertheless many developers should use this technology in all future releases.
    Good game.

Otherwise gameplay wise, the game is slow, sometimes dull so you have to be patient, shooting is 'clunky', action is repetitive (but it's not 'that' repetitive as others claim in my opinion) and most seriously, when it comes to the story's pacing itself, it's a little messy. Suddenly some important events occur abruptly, very quickly in the scenario/story (could have been smoother) You have no real control over the events: even if you fail questioning, the game will still go on and there's absolutely no real attachment/affection/sympathy to any of the characters in the game.

It's a good game, a nice and courageous try but it's definitely not a gaming revolution as some might have claimed.

7.5/10
    Not Bad
  20. May 21, 2011
    L.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowedL.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowed by the strong and noticeable flaws. The large part of the game is very repetitive. Although, you could say this strongly represents cop work. After I got to vice I found myself groaning at the presentation of more cases. Let's get one thing straight. The graphics are phenomenal. Everything has detail and is crisp,bold, and well real. I should also point out that I am a huge fan of noir. I feel that this is a bold game, but the game overstays its welcome with repetition over a ridiculous length. It reminds me of RE4. An amazing game if it hadn't lasted as long.Buy it if you must, but don't expect any replay value.I'd say it's worth a rent, but I got bored a little past halfway. Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  22. Jun 1, 2011
    For those who loved the GTA series, L.A. Noire has got to be a taste of something familiar. But that's not always a good thing. The characters and cars handle about as good as a drunk guy pushing an overloaded wheelbarrow over a grease covered hockey rink. Now that I've got the biggest negative out of the way, we can move onto more positive territory.Ã
  23. May 24, 2011
    Wow this game is Amazing ON PS3,to bad for Xbox users 3 discs LMAO. Overall it's a must have game that harkens back to era of simpler times.Gunplay is it not as exciting as you would expect,but the story is where it shines,think of this game as more of an interactive story and treat it as such.
  24. May 17, 2011
    Let me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is goodLet me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is good and bad. It's not quite as open as the grand theft auto games, but it is much more interesting and engaging. Some cases are boring, and some are great. The interviews and interrogations are pretty cool, but they kind of hold your hand through it. If you do something wrong and fail the case, you just go back to the last checkpoint. The facial animations are awesome, but not something I particularly care much about because it's a GAME. It is not a movie, which is what it feels like at times. I would usually be upset that the developers spent most of their money on crap like facial animations because I would think it would take away from the rest of the game. In this case, I don't notice anything. This is a very polished game. I'm giving it a 7 because it was over-hyped and the interviews and game videos leading up to the release were very misleading (trust me, I saw all of it). Please don't expect an action packed, high-octane thrill ride of a game. This game moves much slower. I expected this, but I wanted the investigations and clue system to be a little bit deeper. Overall, this game is a good buy. Unlike everyone else, I don't necessarily think it makes you feel like a detective, but it is certainly very fun and engaging. Definitely rent before you buy if you can. This game is good, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  25. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. About 3/4th of the way through. Fun game, great concept. However it is a little repetitive. Chasing the suspect every other mission with the same outcome is kind of becoming common. Other than that, I would recommend the game. Expand
  26. May 27, 2011
    Not a bad game, but far away from being one of the Rockstar jewels that they use to create. The open world it's just limited to driving, leaving the game with a single predefined path making it so linear. The best feature in the game is the graphic part.
  27. Jun 7, 2011
    It's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don'tIt's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don't help either Expand
  28. Jun 19, 2011
    While i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, TeamWhile i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, Team Bondi and Rstar games failed to grasp this philosophy. 7/10 Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  30. Dec 6, 2011
    It starts off interesting and is good for a few hours but repetitive objectives, boring gameplay, and confusing interigation tactics leave this game's potential down for the count. It looks and sounds great and it very original and unique (something we havent seen for a while) but it gets so boring. It doesnt help that the plot to the game takes far too long to develope and it ends poorly as well.
  31. Nov 27, 2013
    I am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun playI am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun play which was poor and remarkably easy and lastly the interrogation scenes which to be honest were more frustrating than anything due to lack of information on what your character is actually going to say and inconsistencies in the facial gives. I found the game entertaining but by the end was just hoping to get it over and done with. Expand
  32. Jun 18, 2011
    Revolutionary facial expressions and the typically impressive rock star voice acting and scripting, but where the flip is the game? Drive to scene in slow, outdated car (running reds and smashing through the environment on the way of course), find body, plod around crime scene for clues (which are as subtle as a brick - ooh a knife with an address on), go to suspect's house, press randomRevolutionary facial expressions and the typically impressive rock star voice acting and scripting, but where the flip is the game? Drive to scene in slow, outdated car (running reds and smashing through the environment on the way of course), find body, plod around crime scene for clues (which are as subtle as a brick - ooh a knife with an address on), go to suspect's house, press random dialogue buttons (if in doubt, press doubt, because trying to read the facial expressions is a) boring and b) fruitless), give chase on foot or car (which amounts to holding your stick in the general direction of the slowly fleeing criminal), arrest perp. Repeat to fade. Style over substance methinks. I give it half marks for the brilliant presentation, but without the gameplay what's the point? Collapse
  33. Sep 24, 2011
    A great man once said, "If you build it, they will come." And so it is with Rockstar: any game they put out will inevitably be purchased by me and every other 15-30 year old male who doesn't do the Buffalo Bill dance and coodle their unbearably annoying yip-yip dog.

I don't regret my purchase for it's worth it if just for the facial animations and unique game play. But alas, as you might have already heard, this game can be dreadfully boring.
  34. Aug 15, 2011
    I kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. isI kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. is impressive, but it fails to entertain me. The investigations consist of a series of multiple choice decisions that you can re-do until you get it right. The game is wholly unfulfilling as there are too many tedious activities and not enough exciting rewards. Expand
  35. X11
    Aug 28, 2011
    Decent. Interesting premise. Competently done. Story was quite good at points. Rockstar voice-acting, better than most as usual. Not hoping for another in the series, however.
  36. Jul 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great + Action is ok + Allows you to skip parts after a few attempts to continue the story. Great idea! + Faces look terrific. + I really liked some of the main characters. - Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original
    + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great
    + Action is ok
    + Faces look terrific.
    + I really liked some of the main characters.

- Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the time it's trial and error, and error means the clue is gone forever. Knowing when to press (try to get more by intimidating) or to reveal a lie (by presenting evidence) can be very confusing and frustrating. The faces don't always help, since sometimes the "lying motion"only kicks in after 15 seconds. Phoenix Wright got this way, WAY better.
    - The story is sometimes extremely poorly told. With the plethora of characters in the game, the story writers should have done a better job keeping the spotlights right and the designers should have given an option to review past characters. Also, some of the climaxes just don't make sense, because of the addition of action gameplay. Some scenes are just ruined because random mobsters show up for no apparent reason other then to be your cannon fodder. I found the ending very unsatisfying as well.
    - Interface and restrictions are clunky sometimes, especially during the action scenes and chases.
    - Some cases are very poor. The biggest flaw of them is that they often don't leave the solving part to the player. I literally thought at some cases: This is **** neither of this suspects did it, and still I have to press charges against one. That's maybe the stupidest thing a game designer designing a game where the investigation skills of a player are tested can do. It's like saying to a soccer striker:"yeah you can run down with the ball, but God forbid you to take a shot at the goal!" It made me feel stupid, it made Cole look stupid and it made the whole cheering crowd look stupid. Again, Phoenix Wright got this WAY better.
    - (small) Some minor annoying bugs. (X360, My personal worst bug was the playing of the boss music during a tragic cutscene...)

All with all, L.A. Noire did a bold and good job, especially on the aesthetics department. The story department had it's high ups and low downs, and the gameplay department should have put some more effort in making stuff more clear to the player. I hope they learn from their design errors and take the time to make the successor of L.A. Noire a more complete and potent experience.
  37. Sep 28, 2011
    L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is.L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is. The facial animations are unlike anything in any other game and are so realistic that I can often recognize real actors/actresses as characters in the game. The one downside is that the amount of information in these animations pushes the game to use 3 discs for the XBox 360. The game's scale is certainly not equivalent to a standard game on 3 discs. At first the game totally captures the player's attention. Being a detective and actually using reasoning skills in a video game is an impressive new experience that I think needs to be further developed in the future. Unfortunately, there's one major problem with the concept: how can make a game that fits the player's ability to reason? Everyone has their own logic, and although these different reasons may be sound and true and come to the same conclusion, L.A. Niore's gameplay struggles with the problem of a linear game trying to fit a dynamic player's thoughts. Interrogations with suspects consists of analyzing the suspect's verbal and body language and deciding whether to believe, doubt, or accuse the suspect of lying. Believing and doubting are vague enough to allow for multiple ways of thinking, however the game handles accusations of dishonesty poorly IMO because it requires you to present a piece of evidence as proof that the suspect is lying. The problem is that this allows for one and only one method of thinking. Just as an example, in one investigation I found a stash of military grade morphine in the suspect's possession. When he denied it, I accused him of lying and presented the stash as evidence. Makes sense right? Sure it makes sense, but the game is programmed to accept one piece of evidence specifically, and that piece of evidence wasn't the right piece of evidence. What WAS the correct piece of evidence was another suspects accusation. Yes, they both come to the same conclusion, he's lying. However, the game only allows for one method of thinking in order to solve cases. There's a system of "intuition" points that are essentially life-lines when you come into these situations, however these one-time uses only partially solve the problem. Also, later on in the game as your cases demand you travel to more locations, it actually becomes necessary for you to visit these locations in a specific order to be able to get the right pieces of evidence by time you need them. However, there's no way to know which one you need to go to first so whether or not you get a 5-star rating will come to depend on luck. Lastly, there's no save system, which could have helped a lot to solve these issues, but as it stands the only way to load game is to restart an entire investigation which will take hours. Another problem with the game is FILLER. This game has more filler content than anything I've ever played. In the beginning when you are searching for a particular criminal, you are going to solve hours worth of cases before you make any progress whatsoever (it's hard to talk about without spoiling it). Sure the cases are interesting, but the game completely loses its sense of direction after hours of irrelevance. The open world has mixed results. It's only there as immersion and atmosphere and has nothing to do with gameplay or exploration (there are monuments you can find but that is so underdeveloped that I refuse to count that as exploration). Driving throughout the world will require that you follow the rules of the road which I just find to be more filler than fun, and any mistakes you make on the road (which I guarantee will happen because the AI drivers are atrocious) will be saved and remembered as property damages which will negatively affect your mission rating. There is, however, a way to bypass this and fast travel by telling your partner to drive instead of you. Finally, everything other than investigating is highly underdeveloped. The gunplay is absolutely terrible and boring, and car chases are linear and frustrating with unresponsive vehicle controls and terrible AI drivers. As with any rockstar-published title, there are plenty of serious and adult themes throughout the story, but unlike other titles, L.A. Noire only mentions them rather than further developing them. The game at its core experience is gold, but there are simply too many flaws standing between that golden experience and the player himself. It's easy to tell how much Rockstar Games struggled working with Team Bondi in the areas of the game that are pathetically underdeveloped, and a future title with a little more directional focus could take this concept to the stars. Expand
  38. Apr 19, 2013
    Rockstar Games have earned a good reputation in gaming circles for high production values and that trend continues with the Team Bondi developed LA Noire. Set in the late 1940s the game is an interactive detective story following the career of ex-army lieutenant Cole Phelps.

There have been complaints from those expecting a Grand Theft Auto (GTA) style open world game but LA Noire was never advertised as such. The game is far more structured than any GTA game, or even Red Dead Redemption for that matter, and the focus of the game remains firmly on solving the cases provided by searching crime scenes (in the manner of the old point and click adventures) and questioning witnesses/suspects. The much vaunted facial mapping technology is very impressive even if it does still becomes all but impossible to spot when someone is hiding the truth in later cases. The game is not totally devoid of action however with most cases involving a few shoot outs, car chases or rooftop pursuits and these are fairly well implemented even if the controls aren’t always as precise as they could be.

Many of the cases are fairly interesting and the script writing, while still not up to the quality of the best TV programmes, is certainly better than the majority of those seen in video games. A number of other minor flaws, such as a few repetitive cases, can be largely ignored but one complaint that certainly can't be is that all too often it feels more like you are being lead through some of the investigations rather than actually playing the role of detective. Regardless of any choices made the game plays out in virtually the same way and this comes very close to making the gameplay pointless on occasions. For many the atmosphere created will allow them to get past this but it all means the game does not live up to the hype.
  39. May 30, 2011
    Initially impressive - and kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi for doing something a little different - but soon a feeling of being too tightly directed takes hold. In one case, because I chose to follow a particular line of inquiry (not in the order the developers intended), I wasn't given the opportunity to go question someone else against whom I had evidence: the case just got closed andInitially impressive - and kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi for doing something a little different - but soon a feeling of being too tightly directed takes hold. In one case, because I chose to follow a particular line of inquiry (not in the order the developers intended), I wasn't given the opportunity to go question someone else against whom I had evidence: the case just got closed and one perp got off without so much as a visit from me. The illusion of 'reality' given by the underlying story, the facial mo-cap and the real-world environment is shattered by you not having the freedom of choice you would have in that situation. In short: the novelty and tech raise your expectations, then fail to meet them. There is a similar tension between the need to solve crimes and the inability to pursue your own ideas of how and why those crimes took place. To get this right in a videogame is of course supremely difficult, but maybe less emphasis should have been put on restrictive story arcs and more on standalone cases that gave you a little more freedom to fail.

The developers want you to experience 'the story' from beginning to end and this becomes too apparent about a third of the way in. It is still an enjoyable game and, as a gamer of long experience, I'm pleased to have something different and more mature in theme and execution to play, but it isn't the landmark some reviews would have you believe.There are odd visual glitches (eg, a taxi driver standing on his car instead of sitting inside it, a man laying in, rather than on, a mattress), and frame rate issues when things get busy. The switch between sandbox and cut scene, eg, when you arrive at the scene of an incident, can also be a little jarring, but overall it is a beautiful, evocative thing to look at and listen to.

It seems churlish to give it a low score given the amount of effort that has clearly gone into the game. Without the huge 3-disc environment, the professional acting and the facial animation innovation it would be a 6. With it, it deserves a 7. With the gameplay challenges of the format overcome it would have been a 9. Let's hope the good bits turn up in other games in the future and that no one tries to do something similar, but with less effort and panache (yeah, we can hope...).
  40. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 2/3 of the game are one long tutorial that finally picks up the Noir beat for the final stretch. However, the best parts end up more watched than played. Its worth playing if you're interested in games in general, and it's not bad for new gamers looking to hone their skills. Is it amazing? No. It is interesting? Yes.
  41. Jul 15, 2011
    GTA San Andreas, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noi...no that just doesnâ
  42. Jul 19, 2011
    I really wanted to love this game. It's a long puppet show. Yes, voice acting and art direction are out of this world but gameplay is boring and slow. It's almost like recreating an old tale you have no personal interest in. While the facial mocap is impressive, at times it feels a bit too Uncanny Valley.
  43. Jul 22, 2011
    Awesome concept but by the end I just wanted it to be over. Theres only so many clues I can handle searching for. At the end of the day I still think its worth picking up though.
  44. Jul 18, 2012
    This is a tricky game to write a review for due to the fact that this game is for an extremely select few. To give a bit of background: Noir is my favorite genre of film and fiction, I was practically raised on the stuff.

The best summary I can give is this: The game play elements all play well but they are mediocre at best- the action and driving is standard and polished however does not stand out amongst games that hold a more consistent focus on third-person action (Max Payne 3) or driving (any GTA game). When I speak of driving elements in L.A. Noire, the driving is fun but because points are deducted if the player does anything that is logically contradicting to a police officer's duty- this makes sense- but any sort of vigilantism is nonexistent, which is peculiar given that the game is supposed to be about corruption and scandalous themes. Sure, the main character is a "goody two shoes" but it would be cool if there was a development where he becomes more of an antihero- this would make it classic noir.

On the note of vigilantism, the game is initself a contribution to the noir genre - this brings up a minor complaint on my behalf that the game is spelled "noire" as if its trying to be avant garde or chic despite the fact that it could have easily been spelled "L.A. Noir" and perhaps would have looked better; many elements of noir are not present (focus on shadows, the hero being an anti hero), although the cliches of murder, crime etc are present. I suppose this is insignificant in the big picture though.

The highlight and main focus on the game lies in the interrogation of suspects and witnesses, and it is in this regard that the game does get some major pros- the cons inherent are that, after a while, it can become extremely difficult to get the "correct" answers (being "lie," "truth," "doubt") and the major encouraging facet that how some of the missions unfold and how the plot is unveiled is based on the where, who, how and why's extracted from interrogations can be very clever.

Though, for a perfectionist who wants to get down the "perfect" (or close to "perfect") accomplishment of tacit objectives in the missions, there is a requirement of having to restart the entire mission and some of the longer cutscenes cannot be skipped; as well the same interrogations must be done to lead one from one character to the next.

The plot is good. People have compared it to L.A. Confidential, which is a fair comparison, though I would say that the film is much better and (perhaps ironic to the game) executed in a fashion more fitting to the noir genre.

It's not that this game is bad, it's just not stellar or even very great, in the long run. Rent it or borrow it first from a friend but keep in mind the game becomes understandably formulaic. Regardless it should be praised for being unique- but being unique has never made a game a standalone classic or an absolute must have.
  45. Sep 10, 2011
    sure at the beginning it is fun, but after a few missions it is just so repetitive. The facial expressions are great but sometimes the world seems so fake.
  46. Nov 23, 2011
    OVERVIEW: I was very excited for this game, as the new genre appealed to me. Although it delivered on that part, the various other problems makes it difficult to play.

PROS: The style and feel of 1940's LA is spot on; and that is helped by the great graphics. The great graphics also deliver a new facial system which I really enjoyed. It basically takes the actors face and puts it into game, which is crucial for the lie detection system that Rockstar put into the game. The part about the gameplay that I enjoyed was the detective stuff. Searching for clues, interrogating people, etc. The story was also brilliantly told, except it was shown through the very last part of the game.

CONS: Like I just said, the great story is the last of many small stories told through various cases. Each case equals a story except for the last few cases which are connected and tell a bigger story. The game comes on 3 disks, so that is a lot of random cases that I didn't fine entertaining. The none detective gameplay involves car chases, shootings, foot pursuits, etc. This was relatively bland and got very repetitive. The only thing to do besides the main cases was answering to radio calls, which consisted of the above styles of gameplay. LA Noire was also very consistent with other Rockstar games, which for me is a bad thing.

GRAPHICS: 9 out of 10; Great visuals and cool new facial animations made it look very realistic. STORYLINE: 7 out of 10; The ending was great, but the ending began halfway through disk three.
    GAMEPLAY: 5 out of 10; Detective gameplay was unique but the rest was very repetitive and uncreative.
    LASTING APPEAL: 4 out of 10; The same thing for three disks gets pretty boring. Again, only the end made me want to keep playing.
    OVERALL: 6 out of 10

CONCLUSION: LA Noire was a great idea that just failed to deliver on the typical video game aspects. It is hard to get past this and envy the great style and feel for the game.
  47. Nov 21, 2011
    When you get past the innovation and face expressions what you have is an average game that reminds me of the repetitive game play that was once assassins creed. It was fun half way in after that I could care less. I know its a detective story and its not GTA however picking A, B or C in the end is still A,B or C.
  48. Apr 9, 2012
    I was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but II was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but I found it all but useless. Most of the time characters acted and looked the same irrelevant of whether they were lying or not. And if you got it wrong (and wanted 5 starts) you had to start over. I spent more time wasting away on replaying missions and sitting through the unskippable cutscenes just because the game illogically felt someone was lying. If the LAPD was so blind and stupid in that era that they couldn't recognize when they arrested the wrong person or when someone was lying then LA would have never survived. The entire "who's guilty and who's innocent" was nothing more than a writer's poor attempt at creating a believable story. There were only a handful of cases where the guilty party even made sense. It was so horribly bad.

The vehicles were hard (and unrealistic) to control, the traffic AI was really bad and the driving sections made little sense. Never once couuld I (a detective in LAPD) catch someone who decided to drive away - businessman, student, whatever. Even worse was that traffic lights seemed coded to be red when you needed to go through them so you end up driving the entire time with your siren on. Even then half the time cars would pull out in front of you anyway.

The story also went about 2 desks too long. After the homicide desk they should have stopped but instead they continued to bring down the story with the additional desks. The arson was perhaps the worst as you hardly ever played as the person you were playing the first 4 desks. Finally the save points were in bad places - just before unskippable cutscenes, after some point where you couldn't go back, etc.

On the positive notes the combat seemed reasonable, the city was huge (a good thing since you end up driving all around it forever), the graphics were great and the acting wasn't too bad. The collectibles (especially since you couldn't easily track them) needed some work and it would have been nice if the collectibles were more than just a checkbox on your list. The city could also have been used better. As it stood I always had my partner drive just to get to the next part of the game.

I was so excited about this game but by the time I was half way through the game I was ready for it to end and not really impressed. I've never really been that impressed with Rockstar's games and from now on I'm going to strongly evaluate whether I'll purchase them. They just don't have a good track record of creating good ending and games worth playing.
  49. Dec 20, 2011
    The interactive detective gameplay runs smoothly and becomes pretty addicting. But I think they could have gotten a bit more creative with the cases. The plots of each murder/case are supposed to tie into each other for the sake of the overall plot, but somehow that doesn't make the repetition any less painful.
  50. Feb 11, 2012
    There are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It wasThere are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It was not very satisfying to solve a case with one real suspect, and annoying to get it wrong for insignificant seeming little details. The controls are pretty clunky on the ground, which makes any shooting parts not particularly enjoyable. Overall it's a fun game with a good story, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. Expand
  51. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved the art and style of this title but ultimately I couldn't get into the protagonist Cole Phelps. The overarching plot involves the detective's rise in the LAPD over several years. This thread intertwines with Phelps' past in the Marines told in a series of flashbacks in the form of cutscenes. Eventually the past and present come together to define the character.

The game itself

The game itself plays as an interactive detective movie set in post-ww2 LA. PCC streetcars roll the wide boulevards as you drive to the crime scenes. I ultimately hated the car chase scenes. The controls weren't intuitive for me.

The facial technology that went into the characters while you are interrogating them was quite impressive, however I felt that this aspect of gameplay became almost like work as I tried to read body language to determine if the person was lying.
  52. Aug 23, 2012
    my god that was a trudge at the end. i understand what they were trying to do with this game, but this game never should've been "open world". I'm sort of glad it failed commercially since open world for the sake of open world is blah. The game never really hit the heights needed to make up for its lows.
  53. Jul 3, 2012
    Graphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facialGraphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facial recognition of lies etc, is an interesting concept - one they haven't really pulled off 100% (amusingly, faults are mostly due to the odd bad actor rather than the technology but it's still very good) but you have to commend the effort.

It's not going to be something you play again when you finish it, but I'd describe it as the perfect rental title. You'll finish it in a week, and feel pretty good about it when you do. So, for me, I'll ignore the repetitiveness, the overall air of pretention and just how casual the game is overall and give it a decent score. In short, you just have to recognise it for what it is. 7/10.
  54. Jul 31, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases hasL.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases has a weird and unnatural progression combined with a lack of interactivity, the side missions are quite similar to each other, the interviewing mechanics could be improved and the biggest flaw of them all is that the game gets repetitive. No matter the case the gameplay structure stays the same. The game is a pony with a few tricks it keeps showing over and over again and quite frankly it gets kind of boring after a while. If you however like me play 1 or 2 cases every now and then you are probably going to have a blast. This game could have been fantastic, in the end its simply good. Hopefully some game in the future will fix be just that. Expand
  55. Mar 22, 2013
    The technical achievements are undeniable, but it is simply not that entertaining with its unmemorable plot, monotonous gameplay, nonexistent re-playability, and underwhelming characters.
  56. Feb 24, 2014
    L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate,L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate, chase sequence which gets old pretty fast. Sure you can drive around in the open world but there is absolutely nothing to do, which really defeats the purpose of designing this game as a sandbox. Further you can even skip driving scenes which although handy, again makes you wonder why this game is open world. The second issue though is really what holds this game back, being the questioning for investigations and interrogations. Whilst it makes sense to have a limited number of clues and questions from a gameplay point of view, the problem is that many responses and outcomes do not logically connect or are used in ways inconsistent with how they should or could be used. Many times you will know the answer to the case however you will be marked wrong because the game does not describe the dialogue lines that will accompany the evidence you choose, or when the game fails to recognise that the evidence can be used in more than one way. Other times you can convict someone with little or no evidence at all, or evidence that would never hold up in the real world ( I was once somehow able to prove a person wasn't home the night before because he had a wet jacket on his door despite the fact it was raining when I got there and it was 24 hours later.... what??) The unfortunate outcome of this is that there is really no intellectual component to the game at all, but rather trial and error. To cap this all off the game is littered with glitches and bugs that completely ruin missions as events won't trigger (or did somehow trigger but you never saw it), locations won't show, or missions will have to be completed in specific sequences of events to be able to get the mission completely correct with no indication or guidance whatsoever which can completely ruin your mission. I was unable to complete a case perfectly because I elected to skip a car ride which was supposed to trigger a radio call- why should the game penalise you if it gives you the option in the first place and gives no warning you are to receive the call!!! Later when I triggered the event I was unable to proceed with the investigation because I had missed the order of events and could not go and question the suspect with the new information despite them being in the lock up... which just makes no sense whatsoever. Did anyone at Team Bondi even test this game? All in all an ok game with no replayability - worth a try once but that will be enough. Expand
  57. Rem
    Oct 8, 2015
    L.A. Noire, for its time, was a technical marvel, impressing the gaming community with its facial scan technology and almost uncanny recreation of the corrupt 1950s Los Angeles. Backing up its gameplay was the slew of detective work playing as Detective Cole Phelps, an incredibly flawed yet nuanced character that you spend your time doing interrogations, linking clues, and chasing/shootingL.A. Noire, for its time, was a technical marvel, impressing the gaming community with its facial scan technology and almost uncanny recreation of the corrupt 1950s Los Angeles. Backing up its gameplay was the slew of detective work playing as Detective Cole Phelps, an incredibly flawed yet nuanced character that you spend your time doing interrogations, linking clues, and chasing/shooting perps. Through almost 20 cases, you perform these tasks in tandem, which over the course of several cases is refreshing, but eventually loses steam towards the end over how monotonous it can be. The real treat lies in the immersion of the city, where every single detail is succinct down to the last hairbrush and the music is on point with 50s classics. Advertisements hint at the corruption in the city and the cars are incredibly faithful to the time. Another sticking point would have to be the script in which it evokes the true noir that many games fail to emulate what LA Noire delivers in spades. Of course this is also lent by the incredibly lifelike facial animations which in turn is not voice acting, but acting in a technical sense. While there exists an open world, it's devoid of anything to do for the most part aside from optional police missions and even then those are brief. For a game so bent in immersing you, LA Noire teases you with much but gives you little and sets you on a straight path towards its narrative conclusion, to which is kind of disappointing. Nonetheless, nobody can deny the amount of work went into this landmark achievement of technical and artistic design that is the corrupt city of Los Angeles. Expand
  58. May 27, 2013
    I bought this game when it first came out and enjoyed it, and recently I decided to give it a go again as the game is now coming up to being two years old.

- The game's single player campaign is rather long. I've been playing it fairly nonstop for about 15-16 hours now and still have at least two more departments to get through (vice and arson). To say the least, the gameplay has been rather fun, but it has begun to get quite tedious and repetitive. Even though the cases are all different and unique, you can't help but feel like you're doing the same thing over and over once you've done a handful of them. The uniqueness eventually wears off, and right now I feel like I'm playing the game more to finish it than anything else.

- The story of the game has a main overreaching arch and several subplots going on at the same time. It's not a bad story by any means, but due to many of the characters being unlikeable, or simply uninteresting, it has became rather difficult for me to really care as to what's going on. In fact, I've really stopped paying much attention to the story and am simply going through the motions until I get to the next gunfight or suspect chase. It's a shame because the story really is quite unique, but the lack of depth or real connection to any of the game's characters really does kill it for me.

- If you're familiar with other Rockstar titles then you're away of the open, sandbox style most of their games has. This game simultaneously is the same as those other titles and completely different. While I wouldn't necessarily expect the ability to go on a shooting rampage as you could in the GTA franchise, I found myself rather limited as to what I could do in this world. Late 40's LA has been beautifully reproduced, but there's no depth to the city and nothing really to do in it. I can't draw my gun whenever I want to, my character can't explore nearly as many buildings, there are no real mini games to be found, there are no natural 'ramps' I can jump cars off of, etc... In essence, it's a prettier version of GTA that lacks and real playability outside of the actual campaign. It's a shame too because the city is well done, but since I can't do anything with it other than look at it I find myself getting bored with it easily. Unfortunately, this means the game has little replay value unless you're like me, beat it once, and then come back to it 2 years later when it's finally somewhat fresh again.

- The cases in the game are fun to play through at first, but after awhile you'll realize that there really are no ways you can genuinely screw up a case so that it will greatly affect the outcome of the story. Sure you might limit what questions you can ask a suspect or what parts of a case you can actually play through, but you'll still end up finishing each case and moving on as if the previous results were insignificant to the utmost degree. This has really put me down a bit as I now feel no need to be careful with my decision making and can run through each mission without trying hard to succeed. In a sense, the 'need' to play well has been completely killed for me.

- As to the actual interrogation aspect of the game, which was a major selling point and highlight for the game, I can tell you that it's really not all that it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you'll be interrogating someone and they'll give off a look that makes you think they're lying to you, but somehow the correct response will be 'truth'. Likewise, a character might look like they're being completely truthful but the answer will be 'doubt'. Sometimes you can even tell a character is lying and you'll have the evidence to prove it, but the game will want a different piece of evidence than the one you selected or they'll want you to select 'doubt' instead of accusing them of lying. This becomes UNBELIEVABLY frustrating after awhile, and since you know the outcome of each case doesn't affect the outcome of the game you wind up asking yourself why you're even bothering with the game (something I've done numerous times now, but I still have yet to be able to turn the 360 off on this game for good).

In summary, this gameplay and story are unique enough that if you're into the whole noire/detective thing, or if you just want something different, then this game is definitely worth a rent, borrow from a friend, or even a buy if you can get it for ~$10, but there's really little other reason to pick it up. The replay value simply isn't there, and the gameplay itself is only good enough if it's you're interested in. It's not a bad game, it's just not a great one, either. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.
  59. Dec 26, 2013
    l.a. noire is a good game but it doesn't reach the level of rockstar games in the past few years,other problem is the difficulty of this game wich is too much hard.
  60. Jun 18, 2011

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]