L.A. Noire Xbox 360

7.8

1. May 21, 2011
    Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer,Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer, no change in choice. Once you beat this game it's over. In today's days, I'm not sure any game that does not have multiplayer or strong replay value of some sort gets over a 7. Expand
  2. Jan 1, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the BlackI was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the Black Dahlia, but I didn't like everything else you did in the game. The characters were kinda dull, especially the main character. I definitely didn't Cole and his character as he really wasn't very likable, nor could you relate to him very easily. The sandbox portions of this game were very lacking and that's especially sad coming from a company that was affiliated with Rockstar during the development of this game. Now there were some good things in this game. The well documented Motion Scan for all the facial animations was very nice and groundbreaking. However there were more bad things than good with this game for me and that's very disappointing for a game with such promise. There were some good things here that they could have capitalized on to make a tremendous game. Instead this game will forever be in the category of what could have been, along with Duke Nukem Forever. Expand
  3. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, it looks really nice, but fun factor wise i give a 6
  4. Jun 4, 2011
    If you are looking for a best facial animations in gaming history then you'll love LA Noire. However, if you're looking for a varied and involving experience you may be slightly let down like me. Heavy Rain is a much better game in terms of 'an interactive movie experience' as after the first half of LA Noire you'll be starting to wonder if there is more to the game than driving slowlyIf you are looking for a best facial animations in gaming history then you'll love LA Noire. However, if you're looking for a varied and involving experience you may be slightly let down like me. Heavy Rain is a much better game in terms of 'an interactive movie experience' as after the first half of LA Noire you'll be starting to wonder if there is more to the game than driving slowly from A to B and deciding whether people are being A - Truthful, B - Withholding or C - Lying judging by their over emphasised facial expressions. To begin with the gameplay is fascinating and the graphics will blow you away, but ultimately this is a shallow gaming experience which tries to be deeper than it is with overly long investigations and an insight into the character you play as. Cole Phelps is not your typical Rockstar-esque protagonist; he dreams of a perfect world and plays by the rules, so much so that you'll wish he could just pistol whip some suspects for a change as they surely did back in those days. Forced plot lines spoil what has gone before later in the game, but I won't give anything away.

In terms of gun action, it's a shame that there isn't more of this in LA Noire as the cover-shoot dynamic is as good as in the GTA games. These encounters become very similar / predictable the more the game goes on and things aren't varied by weapons as Cole generally only carries a pistol. Car chases add another side mission task, but I found these to be pre-determined so that the car you were chasing couldn't be caught until it inevitably ran off the road itself allowing you to make the arrest. Seriously, you can smash / shoot the crap out of the cars but it aint stopping until the game engine dictates it. Overall, I found the game to be far too linear and stiff with the over-arching story a little weak which is surprising considering Rockstar's strength in story telling. After the first half you'll desperately want something exciting to happen, but it just doesn't come and you'll still drive from A to B and repeat the same structure until the end. For a piece of graphical achievement I'd recommend this, but if you're looking for an interactive adventure that you keep you on the edge of your seat take a serious look at Heavy Rain.
  5. Jun 10, 2011
    When i saw the trailers to this game i admit that it looked very impressive, but when you think about it all you saw where the cut scenes, and that is exactly what you get. This game (and i use that word very loosely) is more like a tech demo with a couple of bits tagged on to play.Graphically the motionscan works very well and there are some genuinely impressive parts where the actingWhen i saw the trailers to this game i admit that it looked very impressive, but when you think about it all you saw where the cut scenes, and that is exactly what you get. This game (and i use that word very loosely) is more like a tech demo with a couple of bits tagged on to play.Graphically the motionscan works very well and there are some genuinely impressive parts where the acting really shines through, my real problem is the lack of action.I play games to be excited and exhilarated and L.A. Noire did neither for me, i really tried to enjoy it but in the end it felt like a case of the emperors new clothes. Every case is the same-go to an area,find clues,drive somewhere,look for clues,complete a very quick chase,charge someone and repeat. To be honest im disappointed and i expected more from one of the finest publishers to ever grace the gaming world. Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2011
    About two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of havingAbout two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of having to restart the game from scratch or abandon the effort. I quickly realized I have no interest in doing it all again so I will probably trade the game in this weekend. There is nothing broken about the game (other than my corrupted file) - it's just repetitive, and not that interesting once you get over the novelty. I definately give Rockstar an "A" for effort both in trying a new game format and a new game setting but there has to be more to a game than novelty. Expand
  7. May 25, 2011
    Now, I would first like to say that I am NOT a mainstream gamer. Sure, I play Halo: Reach online every now and then, but for the most part, I would prefer a more unique experience, such as the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Dead Space series. So, when I read in GameInformer about a game called L.A. Noire, I got genuinely excited. Heck, I had only a penny left after I hadNow, I would first like to say that I am NOT a mainstream gamer. Sure, I play Halo: Reach online every now and then, but for the most part, I would prefer a more unique experience, such as the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Dead Space series. So, when I read in GameInformer about a game called L.A. Noire, I got genuinely excited. Heck, I had only a penny left after I had bought it. This game made me effectively go broke. It wasn't worth it.

Now, the gameplay is interesting, I will say that. You scour a crime scene looking for clues, and then interview any suspects that you have. To get suspects, you may sometimes have to chase them, on foot or in vehicle. These sequences are meant to change the pace of gameplay, which, while I admire the effort, become tiresome when they happen. Also, the game has been lauded for its facial capture technology, which allows fully accurate capture of the actor's performance. The animations are solid as many of the actors give good performances, but the faces themselves seem rather low-grade in comparison. They don't look horrible, just not that good. That, or I just have a crappy T.V. The surrounding world that you inhabit is a very convincing recreation of the 1940s, from the housing to the cars to the clothes that people wore.

Now, since you play as a detective, you happen to progress through different desks of the LAPD: Patrol, Traffic, Homicide, Vice, and Arson. In each of these stages you are assigned a partner, each of whom has their own personality. The only partner I can honestly say that I didn't like is Roy Earle of Vice. He is just an enormous douchebag. The others are fine. The character you play as, Cole Phelps, is a war hero of the Pacific campaign who has joined the LAPD to make the world a better place, and to potentially right some of the wrongs he committed in the war. He is a flawed character, eventually making a choice along the road that damages his once good name. Now, I have nothing against flawed characters, as I find that when done well, they can be the most interesting. But to be honest, I found Cole Phelps to be uninteresting and boring. Oh, and the "wrong choice" that I mentioned, yeah, I pretty much lost all sympathy in him after that. Then again, that may just be me.

Now, while I will complement the innovation that some of the gameplay possessed, there is still one flaw in the experience: It often gets boring. It also doesn't help that the most interesting cases are the Homicide cases, which occur in the middle of the game. Perhaps it may have helped if they gave the gamer a little more in the way of choice, such as in a BioWare title, but the story itself is pretty linear, so it just makes me think that this would have been better off as a TV series. Now to be honest (and I am kind of ashamed to admit this), I didn't truly complete the game. I made it past the first case in the Arson desk, and just gave up afterwards. I looked up the ending on YouTube, and it was underwhelming. I mean, 20 hours and THAT'S all they give you? They do give you the opportunity to replay cases in an attempt to get a better rating, but honestly, I don't see the logic in playing a level in a mystery/detective game once you know what's going to happen.

Now to be honest, this game isn't horrible. It's just not the kind of game I like. There is an audience out there for this game, of that there is no doubt. For now, however, I think I'm good with Xbox Live arcade titles instead. Or that Hunted: THe Demon's Forge game that comes out next week. Hopefully, I'll like that more. And if not, than I have to stop pre-ordering.
  8. Jul 30, 2011
    You cannot really think of this as a video game. Its more like an interactive film.

Although the story telling, acting and atmosphere are amazing, I found the crucial interrogation system to be deeply flawed. If I got a question wrong I would quit out to the menu and reload from the same point, otherwise I miss out on the plot which is VERY irritating. I think they could have explored the morality aspect a bit more, it would be interesting if you weren't such a clean cut cop. If you had the ability to take bribes, plant evidence or force confessions with violence I think it would have made the game more interesting because even though Cole Phelps does everything by the book, the player should be able to make their own decisions. Instead, I felt like a passenger following him around.
  9. May 19, 2011
    I'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy andI'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy and unrealistic, but not too bad. Foot chases are always the exact same thing and it gets a little repetitive. All chases are heavily scripted, and the runner is always faster than Cole. It doesn't even really feel like you're chasing them, just following them until the scene ends. The action on a whole is pretty sub-par and just not very engaging.

On the graphics front, it's not too bad. The face animation is unlike anything you've seen in a game before and is definitely this game's biggest accomplishment. Player animations are pretty smooth on a whole; Cole tends to make smooth transitions from walking, to running, to jumping over an obstacle, to climbing a drainpipe. However, there are a few sloppy animations, such as the snap to cover, in which it looks as though Cole is practically teleporting into the nearest cover. The graphics otherwise are pretty good, textures are great, as are the models; but everything looks a little blurry, and the framerate has trouble staying smooth in quite a few areas.

Now, for where the game really shines: it's story, and playing as a detective. Each case feels unique (aside from the very predictable chases that ensue every time you find the culprit), and become increasingly challenging as Cole moves up the food chain. The player rarely feels at a loss, however, because with the careful spending of intuition points, the player can make it through the most difficult interrogations flawlessly. Clue finding feels rewarding when you stumble onto a clue amidst the junk, but is never too difficult. If the player is having a hard time finding clues, the player has the option to turn on some context sensitive sounds, such as a chime when you're near something that can be investigated, to help point them in the right direction. However, detective-work can become irritating for perfectionists, as the game will continue even if you fail to collect all clues in the area and correctly gauge each suspect. This can lead to the frequent need to load a save, which is all that much more annoying due to the fact that there is no "Load Checkpoint" option. The player is forced to quit to the main menu and hit resume game, which will put him back at the start of the last location he entered, forcing him to recollect all clues before getting back to the interrogation.

Overall, the game's core elements (story and detective-work) feel pretty on (thanks in no small part to the impressive MotionScan technology), but is ultimately held back by the rest of the game; feeling half finished and underwhelming, as well as a few development oversights, such as the lack of a decent checkpoint system, forcing you to replay large sections of the game should you screw up. To give a score, I think a 7/10 feels about right.
  10. May 24, 2011
    Solid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you playSolid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you play with subtitles you are ruining the experience. Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull byI was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull by the time you get to disc 2 (On Xbox). It's very repetitive, and seems lacking in the depth I expected from the game. However, that said, it's still good enough to keep playing but if you haven't got it already, I'd suggest waiting for the price to drop before forking out your hard-earned. Expand
  12. May 18, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The art is amazing, the facial animations are gorgeous, and everything looks very polished. The music is good, the voice acting is believable, and the sound effects work. The narrative is solid. I'm not in love with it, and it takes a very very long time to develop. The gameplay on the other hand is dull. The pacing of the game is very slow. The same mechanics areThis game is beautiful. The art is amazing, the facial animations are gorgeous, and everything looks very polished. The music is good, the voice acting is believable, and the sound effects work. The narrative is solid. I'm not in love with it, and it takes a very very long time to develop. The gameplay on the other hand is dull. The pacing of the game is very slow. The same mechanics are used throughout the game. One mechanic in the game, finding clues, never felt fun. I just felt like I was running around waiting for vibrations. It reminded me of another game... Mass Effect 2 and its mining system. Honestly... the only difference between the two is that this looked prettier, but Mass Effect 2 was at least kind enough to make looking for resources optional. Being a bit harsh here, and I know this isn't how all people will play it, but the two mechanics are very similar. Interrogating people isn't much better. It is usually too obvious that someone is hiding something, but sometimes I feel good for having guessed correctly. There are numerous points where it just feels stupid that I'd be calling someone out on something. The system just felt too limited. Combat was almost as fun as any other Rockstar game. It has never been the reason I'd play one and it still isn't in this game. I would have liked to have kept weapons I picked up. Driving was the same as ever.

I felt like I had already played everything the game had to offer in the first 30 minutes. It definitely was not worth the $60 though I hope the $$$ this game makes enables other people to do similar things with facial animation. I wish it was actual open world. I missed owning a home, upgrading it, buying things for my character and getting more involved with my character's life. Rockstar failed when deciding how much help they gave you. They held your hand in finding clues and let you know when you had them all. It wasn't up to you to decide if something was useful or not, they decided for you. Then during the interviews, they left you to your own devices. The feedback during interviews was a lot worse than it was in finding clues.

I found Heavy Rain to be a much more satisfying experience. I felt more connected to my characters, the narrative was paced better, and the lack of control ensured that the pacing was still there. I wouldn't recommend this game, but I won't tell people not to buy it either. This is definitely a game that some people will love and justifiably so. It just isn't for me.
  13. May 18, 2011
    On the surface, this game seems innovative, with an interesting concept and a great setting. Once I sat down to play the game, however, I was stunned at how incredibly boring it was. Look at stuff, talk to people, chase someone, rinse, repeat. A couple of over-arching stories are hinted at, but they don't get back to them very quickly.

Despite the fact the game is on three discs, and

Despite the fact the game is on three discs, and the graphics are not all they could be to accommodate all the acting and evidence data, the restrictions of the medium are keenly felt. It's like a choose-your-own adventure book bought out of the cheap bin. You have the option to do things in a non-linear order, but if you do the story seldom makes all that much sense. And speaking of making sense, many of the decisions you make don't make any sense at all, particularly if you do everything in the order it's given on your list. Why would I give a suspect more time to get away so I can go talk to the family right this instant? Phone in that license plate and find the driver of the hit and run? No, we have to go talk to the man's wife first. Don't worry, it's a video game, so the driver will still be there when you get to it.

The acting is decent, the graphics aren't up to current standards (and not as good as Red Dead Redemption) and the music is dull and lifeless. The typical Rockstar driving game is still in, and it's completely unnecessary and detracts from the pacing. Phelps' responses while he's interrogating someone are caricatures of old forties movies, and there's no room for subtlety. You either treat someone like they're angels of honesty, or you accuse them of murder. There's no rapport-building or teasing out information. You hit like a Mack truck or not at all.

I won't say it's not worth playing, but it certainly isn't worth buying new. Wait until the price comes down. That way if you get as impossibly bored as I did you won't feel like you've wasted so much.
  14. May 18, 2011
    This is not GTA - 1940's. You should be made completely aware of this before you decide to buy the game. The game really is pretty basic in it's game play. The basic game play is as follows:

1) Drive to Point A 2) Search for Clues 3) Interview someone 4) Get graded 5) Drive to Point B if necessary 6) Repeat When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls

1) Drive to Point A
    2) Search for Clues
    3) Interview someone
    4) Get graded
    5) Drive to Point B if necessary
    6) Repeat

When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls where you can intercept crimes. This basically consists of a shootout or chasing down a criminal across streets, up buildings and over fences.

The unfortunate part of all this is that it gets old fast. The story is good and the characters are somewhat interesting, so you keep plugging along, but you get the undying urge to want to drive/run all around the city to start trouble or see what you can get into, but it is not necessary and therefore you feel like this massive city was created for naught.

Although I enjoyed the story, it feels like there is a HUGE piece of the game that was untapped or hidden or just plain forgot about. Although the city is alive and buzzing, you feel unattached to it and its citizens and you are left wondering about all the things that could have been added to the GAME PLAY outside of the story that would have made this a Titan of a game.

The Save system might be my biggest gripe of all. It's autosave and you have no way of saving when you want, no way of reloading and trying a scenario out differently. The frustration in this is that you will sometimes know exactly how a crime went down but you might have picked the wrong question and steered the ending in a direction you did not want.

All in all, I do commend the developers for trying something new, but if this was given another year, and there was focus outside of the story, I couldn't imagine what this could have become.

Some other reviewer mentioned that this is Carmen Sandeigo for adults and I honestly couldn't agree more.
  15. May 18, 2011
    Perhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lyingPerhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lying they'll start to smile. "Oh officer, my husband's dead!? Smirk" if anything, they really detracted from the feel. As well, the faces look like sweaty face molds pulled over a mannequin's face: they're good, but there's something off about them. But this being said, the game looks good otherwise, capturing the City of LA in it's hey-day beautifully. Another disappointment are the driving mechanics. For a company like Rockstar to drop the ball here is a real crying shame. The cars feel like something that were tacked on last minute. They drive like boulders. Perhaps this is because they're 1940's models, but still, if you can make a Horse feel effortless (Red Dead series) I would expect the same here. Another step back from previous Rockstar games is the shooting. Shootouts are ever so awkward. I think you have unlimited ammo (the game doesn't tell you how much you have) and aiming is a pain, even with auto help on. And now on to the bread and butter of the game: crime scenes and clue finding. Clue finding is simple, look around a crime scene and press the A button until the music goes away. Interrogations function the same way, watch what face they're making (they only ever make 4 different faces) and press the corresponding button. Crimes are easy to solve and replay value is minimal, seeing as there are only so many crimes and once you solve it once, it's hard to go back and resolve. Overall, the gameplay detracts from the main experience. All of this being said, the game is still saved by it's plot and atmosphere. It truly puts you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, and the added backdrop of post war LA boosts this, something I wasn't expecting. However, the characters are fairly shallow, in a game that makes me feel like a Law & Order detective, I would expect to feel something for my partner, or even myself, but the game falls short. This being said, the game is only about cases.

In the end, if you like to watch Law & Order, you'll enjoy this video-game, however if you're looking for the next Rockstar hit, this is not it.
  16. May 23, 2011
    This takes all the fun of GTA and Red Dead (open environment, being a general nuisance to society) and turns it into story after story after story. The artwork and animation are amazing, but it simply IS NOT fun to play. It is painfully repetitive, and I don't understand why there is no open world experience like that of all other Rockstar games. If they would just turn open world "on"This takes all the fun of GTA and Red Dead (open environment, being a general nuisance to society) and turns it into story after story after story. The artwork and animation are amazing, but it simply IS NOT fun to play. It is painfully repetitive, and I don't understand why there is no open world experience like that of all other Rockstar games. If they would just turn open world "on" in this, it would be a hit. Expand
  17. May 18, 2011
    The best cRPG game I have ever played. beautiful graphics, epic history, very good sound and perfect game play. I hope, this is the game of 2011. Noting more to say.
  18. May 17, 2011
    The presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazingThe presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazing game. As it stands, the clunky mechanics and lack of any real challenge in either action or investigation cause LA Noire to fall a little short. Expand
  19. Jun 13, 2011
    Good game.
    Too much hype maybe for the "facial motion scan" technology used in this game which is honestly impressive. And it's the core of the game. Sadly, it's impact is mitigated on the overall experience. Nevertheless many developers should use this technology in all future releases.
    Good game.

Otherwise gameplay wise, the game is slow, sometimes dull so you have to be patient, shooting is 'clunky', action is repetitive (but it's not 'that' repetitive as others claim in my opinion) and most seriously, when it comes to the story's pacing itself, it's a little messy. Suddenly some important events occur abruptly, very quickly in the scenario/story (could have been smoother) You have no real control over the events: even if you fail questioning, the game will still go on and there's absolutely no real attachment/affection/sympathy to any of the characters in the game.

It's a good game, a nice and courageous try but it's definitely not a gaming revolution as some might have claimed.

7.5/10
    Not Bad
  20. May 21, 2011
    L.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowedL.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowed by the strong and noticeable flaws. The large part of the game is very repetitive. Although, you could say this strongly represents cop work. After I got to vice I found myself groaning at the presentation of more cases. Let's get one thing straight. The graphics are phenomenal. Everything has detail and is crisp,bold, and well real. I should also point out that I am a huge fan of noir. I feel that this is a bold game, but the game overstays its welcome with repetition over a ridiculous length. It reminds me of RE4. An amazing game if it hadn't lasted as long.Buy it if you must, but don't expect any replay value.I'd say it's worth a rent, but I got bored a little past halfway. Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  22. Jun 1, 2011
    For those who loved the GTA series, L.A. Noire has got to be a taste of something familiar. But that's not always a good thing. The characters and cars handle about as good as a drunk guy pushing an overloaded wheelbarrow over a grease covered hockey rink. Now that I've got the biggest negative out of the way, we can move onto more positive territory.Ã
  23. May 24, 2011
    Wow this game is Amazing ON PS3,to bad for Xbox users 3 discs LMAO. Overall it's a must have game that harkens back to era of simpler times.Gunplay is it not as exciting as you would expect,but the story is where it shines,think of this game as more of an interactive story and treat it as such.
  24. May 17, 2011
    Let me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is goodLet me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is good and bad. It's not quite as open as the grand theft auto games, but it is much more interesting and engaging. Some cases are boring, and some are great. The interviews and interrogations are pretty cool, but they kind of hold your hand through it. If you do something wrong and fail the case, you just go back to the last checkpoint. The facial animations are awesome, but not something I particularly care much about because it's a GAME. It is not a movie, which is what it feels like at times. I would usually be upset that the developers spent most of their money on crap like facial animations because I would think it would take away from the rest of the game. In this case, I don't notice anything. This is a very polished game. I'm giving it a 7 because it was over-hyped and the interviews and game videos leading up to the release were very misleading (trust me, I saw all of it). Please don't expect an action packed, high-octane thrill ride of a game. This game moves much slower. I expected this, but I wanted the investigations and clue system to be a little bit deeper. Overall, this game is a good buy. Unlike everyone else, I don't necessarily think it makes you feel like a detective, but it is certainly very fun and engaging. Definitely rent before you buy if you can. This game is good, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  25. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. About 3/4th of the way through. Fun game, great concept. However it is a little repetitive. Chasing the suspect every other mission with the same outcome is kind of becoming common. Other than that, I would recommend the game. Expand
  26. May 27, 2011
    Not a bad game, but far away from being one of the Rockstar jewels that they use to create. The open world it's just limited to driving, leaving the game with a single predefined path making it so linear. The best feature in the game is the graphic part.
  27. Jun 7, 2011
    It's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don'tIt's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don't help either Expand
  28. Jun 19, 2011
    While i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, TeamWhile i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, Team Bondi and Rstar games failed to grasp this philosophy. 7/10 Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  30. Dec 6, 2011
    It starts off interesting and is good for a few hours but repetitive objectives, boring gameplay, and confusing interigation tactics leave this game's potential down for the count. It looks and sounds great and it very original and unique (something we havent seen for a while) but it gets so boring. It doesnt help that the plot to the game takes far too long to develope and it ends poorly as well.
  31. May 17, 2011
    Just to let you know I have been a fan of Rockstar since very earlier on, but that does not weigh in to or bias my review. I am not judging those that have mixed or negative reviews, however, they must not have looked into where the developers were taking this game or what this game is trying to do. I have played this game several hours, and so far really enjoy it. At some points thereJust to let you know I have been a fan of Rockstar since very earlier on, but that does not weigh in to or bias my review. I am not judging those that have mixed or negative reviews, however, they must not have looked into where the developers were taking this game or what this game is trying to do. I have played this game several hours, and so far really enjoy it. At some points there have been frame rate issues but those have been very minor. The story, environment, and style of game play are engrossing, but I do give fair warning for those of you who really enjoyed the GTA free-roam style games & story more so than Red Dead's more rigid storyline will not enjoy the less free roam more-fixed aspects of this game. L.A. Noire focuses more (this is going to sound like a developer comment) the player's ability to read the people of interests' faces to make judgement calls and enveloped themselves within the stylized environments of 1940s Los Angeles. Free-Roam aspects are there, but this story relies more on the crime drama elements and visual aspects to make it a great game. The story itself is a more visceral and cerebral experience in gaming, and that is Rockstar's goal. This is not like Grand Theft and Red Dead in the sense that the story is darker, less comical and much more adult. Therefore, if you are looking for a game that is more dicking around than serious L.A. Noire is not the game to buy, it still has some of those elements, but this is a much more mature game from Rockstar. Hope this helps if you are on the fence about buying it. It is a fantastic game. The face capture technology is amazing and the visual "feel" to the game itself is terrific, but it is not the game for everyone, nor the game for every Rockstar fan, eventhough I personally love it. Collapse

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]