7.9

1. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing for about 4 hours and already being 25 percent done according to the % completed I find myself worried that there is not enough of the game or I would have gave it a 10. The graphics are among the best I have ever seen in a "sandbox" game proving yet again that Rockstar has the monopoly in this genre. The facial animations using the new technology is really something to aww over. I cannot wait to see this implemented in future games, I do believe that this will become a standard in facial animation. The city of angles looks great and the sound is fantastic. Game play is GTA with a nice twist and the interrogations are more challenging some would have you believe, getting 5 out 5 is real hard on the first try every time.

The game has the Rockstar humor and the feel of real dialogue all through-out the city. As in GTA sometimes it is fun to just sit and listen to the ramblings of others having conversations. I am happy that the game does have the hard reality of real crimes included. Not that I was real worried about a developer such as Rockstar to scale down something (e.g. Hot Coffee) but I think it is good that they included child molestation and the harsh brutality of murdering someone. I think this does add more of a tie to your character in the game, you want to catch the guy (or woman) who did this horrible act in a bad way. Now I am bias in that I love film noir, so this game holds dear to my love of movies, and unlike some of the older favorites such as Big Sleep or Double Indemnity we can see the visuals that this era has alloted us. The people that say this game is just a ripoff of GTA I would ask well what did you expect from the peeps that brought you the GTA's and Read Dead's? This is what they do.

As I stated before the only thing I don't like is that the game at 25% seems like I will be able to finish in the next day or two. I know that there are the 40 sub mini-missions and the collectibles and landmarks and driving all 200 cars.... My problem is that instead of doing these other things I want to keep doing the crime solving stuff and I fear that I will miss the rest of what the game has to offer due to my inability to to not being an addict of the best part of the game - calling someone a liar! Graphics = 10
    Sound = 10
    Presentation = 10
    Gameplay = 9
    Overall = 10
  2. May 24, 2011
    I can safely say that it stands shoulder to shoulder with the likes of GTA IV, GTA: Vice City, Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption. It earns it's stripes in all areas of merit and playing it you do get the feeling that after this, games will never be the same again.

The bar has been set now, and I think only GTA V will raise it. It has the second best graphics ever seen in a third person

The bar has been set now, and I think only GTA V will raise it.

It has the second best graphics ever seen in a third person game, Red Dead Redemption being in first place. Graphically the game doesn't start off great, but your jaw will be on the floor by the end of the game. A very smart move from Rockstar, who I sense were the brains of this operation. The last taste left in your mouth is a very pleasant one, and it's easy to see how that pays off.

With Rockstar's involvement, the game benefits greatly from their expert execution of games, but they couldn't make it better or as good as a GTA title for obvious reasons. That said, the missions towards the end of the game do bring into question whether the missions beat the latter missions of GTA IV and I'm inclined to say they do, though something tells me that they won't be as good as the latter missions in GTA V.

The music is perfect throughout, paranoid and tense, adding to the dense atmosphere of each darkened scene, though much of the game is bright and colourful. Some parts of the score reminded me of the Donnie Darko score, other parts reminded me of 70s James Bond themes.

It also has the best script ever written for a video game and a fantastic story that plays out at a perfect pace. Adult gamers will rejoice in how well the game is written and how good the voice acting is. It truly feels like playing a movie, and that's why it feels so revolutionary.

Praises sung, it's not without it's flaws. The cars don't handle all that great. I know that they are 1940s cars, but their handling just doesn't feel very realistic. That said, it never once bothered me and I did take great pleasure in tearing through 1940s L.A. at 80mph. The framerate is very laggy and the game is spread over 3 discs? Red Dead Redemption is held on one...

The game is also very linear, and while it's still the same chassis used for GTA IV and RDR, the missions are episodic and anything in between crops up while you're driving around trying your best to piece together cases, which is the worst possible time. I also found that it was obvious when interrogating whether suspects were telling the truth, but you had to guess between doubt and lie, which became irritating very quickly. However, there is a 'Free Roam' option which allows you to explore at your own pace.

I should stress that this game is absolutely not intended to be played by those with short attention spans or those who just want to go around blowing things up. GTA veterans can still take control of any car they like and drive like a maniac, but there are consequences to your every action.

I have a feeling that this is a delicious taste of what GTA V will be like, and I now feel like an 8 year old boy who knows what his present from Santa is going to be.

Based on what this game promised to be, I want to give it a 10 out of 10 for bringing truly original joy to the formula that the GTA games spread out over their last 4 games (RDR not counted of course) and for setting the standard so high. However, due to it's flaws I am forced to give it a 9, which reflects it's Metacritic score of 90, which I consider to be fair. I'll continue to play it and I may even update the score if I feel that's necessary.

I hope that discerning buyers find this review helpful, I can say safely that not since Red Dead Redemption have I felt that a game was worthy enough to warrant spending £40 on release date.

I eagerly await the first DLC package!
  3. May 26, 2011
    An honest review from an honest gamer. I read every detail about this game, from dev to release date. It took six years to hit the shores and i can honestly say it hits a strange spot as a gamer. On one hand you have the incredible facial scan and setting of the 1940's. Every detail from the artfully decorated L.A. circa 1940's to the sound of your shoes hitting the pavement creates aAn honest review from an honest gamer. I read every detail about this game, from dev to release date. It took six years to hit the shores and i can honestly say it hits a strange spot as a gamer. On one hand you have the incredible facial scan and setting of the 1940's. Every detail from the artfully decorated L.A. circa 1940's to the sound of your shoes hitting the pavement creates a feeling like you've just crossed the threshold of gaming and cinematic experience. Then time kicks in and as your play on you feel a little less involved, like its already done, like your just pushing the right buttons to keep the story moving. This fault isnt dealt with well but to its credit, the story hits you in the middle and as you come closer to the conclusion you'll be amazed at just the change of pace and style the game undertakes. If your a fan of film noire you'll enjoy this game as if its your last. For the mainstream CoD Blops fans you'll hate it...every moment. But i urge everyone to buy it even at a discount price months even years from now because this game does what no other games has or maybe will do, and that is empathy. You feel every hard knock, every inch of doubt and frustration as Cole Phelps. While it certainly isn't a perfect game, it lacks a solid fighting system,even basic controls such as jump, it's linear gameplay. But its story, art, characters and feel are unlike anything and i mean ANYTHING you will encounter its the gaming world today. Not perfect but as damn close as anything you'll buy on consoles to date. Expand
  4. May 29, 2011
    To start off, this game is easily one of the most surprising games to come out in a long time. Is it good? Better, its GREAT. But that doesn't make it immune to a few problems.
    PROS:
    PROS:
    Story - The story is fantastic. You are Cole Phelps, a war veteran, trying to bring justice and control to a city that is beginning to burst with fame and crime. The story is mature and does put in its quips of humor here and there. However, the cases you follow definitely have a serious tone to them and each and every crime you come across gives new challenges and rewards you for interrogating and investigating appropriately to how well you handled a situation.
    Graphics:
    Facial animations are superbly done well and when you think you have learned all the tricks of when someone is lying or doubting you, then begins the whole new area that throws you off your feet and you are cornered in a room in which you can't discover a lie.
    Music - A very classy soundtrack that fits the territory well. Makes the atmosphere relateable that you can relax into the plot.

CONS:
    Graphics: While yes, the facial animation is well done, if you were to compare graphics to other games, it would make LA Noire low on that list. It is similar to GTA and while yes, for 2011, the graphics are good, they aren't enough to write home about.
    Replay Value - Once you beat the cases, the sense of mystery and danger is gone, and you know where to look for clues. However, it is fun to see how perfect of a score you can get if you try hard enough [which isn't easy even with a 2nd play through].
    More Dark than Noire - For something to be called Noire, good guys can't be as good as they appear to be and bad guys need to be either evil or borderline understandable [Watch Memento, LA Confidential]. It is still a dark and shadowy world in which you will enter with femme fatales and dark streets, but I felt it being more dark and detective opposed to being part of the noir genre. but that's is really not a complaint, mainly because it is still a great atmosphere and great game.
    Overall? Get this game if you enjoy thinking and playing in the roles of cops who are trying to save a city from a menace. Don't get this game if you are too anal about everything and think COD plots are the best thing on earth.
  5. May 30, 2011
    I love this game. Please don't expect GTA by any means. Think of it more like the open world of GTA combined with the interactive game play of Heavy Rain. If you loved heavy rain you will love this game. I will not lie there was a yearning for more gun play but it by no means was a deal breaker. I buy games because I usually have a good sense of production value. I would say rent thisI love this game. Please don't expect GTA by any means. Think of it more like the open world of GTA combined with the interactive game play of Heavy Rain. If you loved heavy rain you will love this game. I will not lie there was a yearning for more gun play but it by no means was a deal breaker. I buy games because I usually have a good sense of production value. I would say rent this title. Make sure its for you. If it is then go out and pick it up. It seen the only people who dislike this game thought it was going to be GTA. Make sure to read the reviews and watch previews. Study up before you drop your cold hard cash. If you are reading this its a start. Expand
  6. May 30, 2011
    An excellent game that marks the return of the Adventure Game genre! You get sucked in to the world of being a detective in the 40s. Beautifully acted with great story lines. Finally a game for adults that doesn't treat me like a child. It's not perfect but it's definitely the best game of 2011 so far. Buy it - you won't be disappointed.
  7. Jun 1, 2011
    People play games for a lot of different reasons. If you like shooting or driving in video games, this might not be the title for you. Gunplay and driving mechanics in LA Noire are loose at best. You can ask your partner to drive, and if you fail too many times during a shootout the game will let you skip it, which demonstrates that even the developers know their systems are not asPeople play games for a lot of different reasons. If you like shooting or driving in video games, this might not be the title for you. Gunplay and driving mechanics in LA Noire are loose at best. You can ask your partner to drive, and if you fail too many times during a shootout the game will let you skip it, which demonstrates that even the developers know their systems are not as polished or finely tuned as almost every other game out there. I love this game in spite of some sloppy flaws because it lets you feel like a detective. You search the scene of a crime, interview the witnesses, and grill the suspects. The voice actors give (mostly) inspired performances which directly influence your interaction with the game, a first in my experience. Decisions you make have immediate consequences, and the narrative flows on with numerous possible branches depending on your input. Brilliantly executed! Expand
  8. Jun 2, 2011
    Creative and innovate. A new take on adventure, puzzle solving, and game play. Definitely a fresh idea from Rockstar. They so easily could've made a 1940's/1950's GTA clone, but it is so much more then that. The combat is similar to Red Dead Redemption and the whole concept is fresh. Also, the new technology for rendering actors and delivering convincing facial expression.
  9. Jun 3, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a great game overall, except the fact that the gameplay (even though from Rockstar) lacks as much gunplay as i expected. The art is amazing and I give Rockstar full credit for recreating 1947 Los Angelas.
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    I've sat through some very interesting games in my life. Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Rock Band, The World Ends With You. The list goes on and on. But LA Noire, wow. LA Noire deserves to be on a list of it's own. Visually and technically, you will see one of the most impressive games of our generation. Musically and thematically, you will hear and feel one of the most impressive gamesI've sat through some very interesting games in my life. Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Rock Band, The World Ends With You. The list goes on and on. But LA Noire, wow. LA Noire deserves to be on a list of it's own. Visually and technically, you will see one of the most impressive games of our generation. Musically and thematically, you will hear and feel one of the most impressive games of your lifetime.

You, for the most part, play Cole Phelps, a decorated war hero turned beat cop then detective for the LAPD in the late 1940's. It's just after the end of World War 2, and we see a city not only growing into the city we know it to be today, but also healing from the scars of what the war truly did to it and the world as a whole. people who thought they'd be coming home to hero's praise are working dead end jobs and losing their minds. Families are picking up the pieces after their husbands and fathers come home with scars far deeper than the eye can see. Fear of communism and the red menace is everywhere, as are monsters who are willing to advance by taking advantage of everybody they see.

The technological advances shown in this game will either be a boon or a curse for all forthcoming titles of similar design. The visuals provided in facial features and gestures is unprecidented. There has never been a game to have this calibre of detail. When you look at Cole and he's upset, or he's angry, or he's intense, you know it, and you feel it. It's not just from the unbelievable facial features and gestures provided, it's from the incredible voice acting and scripting. It's from the entire atmosphere that truly captures your imagination and wholly envelopes you as you watch the story unfold.

There are 5 main types of gameplay involved. there is investigation, interrogation, driving, gunfighting, and action/brawling. In investigation, you survey crime scenes and discern what possibly could have happened. You gather clues and interview witnesses. It's not as difficult as it sounds, as the interface is incredibly user friendly, and your controller rumbles whenever you come across a clue, even if it may be hard to find. Not everything you see is useful either, but generally your trained gumshoe is able to tell you if the item is useless or not. Given that this is 1947 and not modern day CSI, you'll almost cringe at some of the things you'll see the detectives do with evidence, such as taking a dead body, slogging it over, grabbing the face, hands, and clothing. You'll go through it, looking for evidence or clues, with no concerns for destroying possible hidden evidence. In interrogation mode, you'll generally be sitting across from someone and asking them questions, trying to get the truth out of them using your skills and intuition as a detective. This is where the technology of fantastic facial features really shines, as youu must watch facial features and gestures to see if someone is lying to you or not. This can get difficult at times, given the situation. Sometimes you might get better information from someone if you go easy on them, like when you interview a child. They are generally afraid, or trying to protect someone they love.

The car driving is simply flawless. Your control over a vehicle is very simple. Left trigger is gas, right trigger is break. If you want to take a turn sharper, simply tap the left trigger to do a sort of handbreak turn. The AI drivers can be a little dumb, but once again, it is 1947, and regulations for driving credentials were far less stringent back in the day, thus explaining this to a degree.

The shooting and action/brawling segments are almost minigames in a sense. They are generally short sections at the end of a running or driving sequence where you either shoot a fleeing suspect to death or beat him to a pulp. The control in both sections is quite good, as shooting is a pleasure, and fighting, while tangly, is easily completed as well. This isn't a shooter or fighting game, this is a detective, thriller murder mystery. If there was too much of one or the other, you'd lose the true value of the game itself.

LA Noire is not just a game, it is an experience. Not since my trying Super Mario 64 have a felt this sense of "wow" when playing a game. Mario 64 ushered in an era of real 3D gaming, far more than most of the inferior titles that claimed the same before it. LA Noire has ushered in a era of true "immersion". Yo will genuinely feel for every tough decision, grieving wife or husband, for every scared or abused child. There are no punches pulled, it is full on gruesome for bad scenes, full on joy for good scenes.

This is a must game for anyone who has ever said "I like video games". It's not my favorite title by any means, but it ranks up there in the amazement and wow factor. Play this game. Experience the next generation of gaming, before it happens.
  11. Jun 20, 2011
    It is a great game with has a good story line and a nice fast passe story telling with good interesting cut-seen's . Really good you should go out and buy it.
  12. Jun 30, 2011
    Rockstar and Team Bondai emerge victorious in this call to arms for 1940's lifestyles and crime the way it was meant to be, dirty, dastardly, and down to earth.
    L.A. Noire is not like anything you have ever played, first of all. It is one of the finest games I've played this generation. It is not anything like what some are comparing to Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead. This is a beast of its own nature. The game begins in post World War II 1940's in Los Angeles, California (*duh*). You take on the role of police officer Cole Phelps, who recently finished a tour in Okinawa. Cole Phelps is exactly what you would expect out of a police officer, he is a true down to the bones good guy. His actions show love for his job, and the citizens around him, and while some may call him dull or boring, its just the way he must act on the job. He later in the story, unravels into a deeper and wiser character who we can almost relate to. Overall he is unlike any other Rockstar character out there, seeing as he is a complete opposite from GTA characters.
    From then on you will be able to explore the open world sandbox of 1940's Los Angeles, a world that has been fully and beautifully recreated to the slightest detail. If you are however, expecting a Grand Theft Auto does noir will be extremely disappointed, that's not the point of this game, and not what it was trying to do from the beginning. What it is trying to nail however, it nails perfectly, right down to the little details. From the incredible facial expressions, to the backdrop from gunplay and more to narrative, everything about LA Noire is simply to be marveled at because, well, it is done so good. The narrative in LA Noire can be summed up as marvelous, dark, gritty, and mature. It will take unexpected twists and turns along the way that will lead you gasping and grinning.
    The gameplay is incredible, the highlights being the incredibly revolutionary interrogations that will leave you cheering everytime you get a question correct. Interrogating suspects is a tricky and hard task, because you really do have to be able to use some true detective work and check your suspect's body language. It really goes to show Rockstar's attention to detail. The rest of the game goes into clue solving (where the vibrations and sounds can be taken off for a more realistic experience), freeroaming, and action sequences that range from car chases, foot chases, or close quarters shootouts similiar tol RDR or GTA. Simply put the gameplay is perfect.
    The techinal aspects of LA Noire are astounding. The soundtrack features all the contemparies of 1940''s music in general and for music aficionados will surprise and please. The voice acting and new motion technology have to be the best yet in a game, and a staple for the genre to come. Top that with a beautiful, living, breathing world and all around impressive visuals, LA Noire is a fantastic game, and a long one at that clocking in at around 25 hours if one does everything they can. In the end LA Noire is a game about story and detective work, if you are not here expecting those things, go somewhere else because you won't like what you see and what you get. LA Noire is exactly what it set out to be, a narrative driven, technological advancemant, and no less than the next step for Rockstar Games.
  13. Jul 3, 2011
    Really detailed with amazing facial animation with new technology. The interragations are the most challenging part of the game, which makes the player feel like a real detective. The investigations are amazing and really open-worlded. There is really nothing bad about the game expect long loading times and slightly bad framerate, which lowers the game down. The ending, in my opinion, wasReally detailed with amazing facial animation with new technology. The interragations are the most challenging part of the game, which makes the player feel like a real detective. The investigations are amazing and really open-worlded. There is really nothing bad about the game expect long loading times and slightly bad framerate, which lowers the game down. The ending, in my opinion, was though very bad, like most Rockstar games. 9 out of 10 Expand
  14. Jul 18, 2011
    I'd be lying if I didn't say I loved this game. There are just a lot of things I wish it had more of but I guess we can just wait for that stuff in the sequel.
  15. Jul 24, 2011
    I especially loved this game for it's sense of novelty and sheer innovation, but the repetitive sequencing is regenerated like oxygen, you really can't stop breathing in, but at the same time you get used to it and think "i'll die someday and that's it" (what?) The things Rockstar promised to showcase through the game were not exactly what we've expected, except it was more than what we'veI especially loved this game for it's sense of novelty and sheer innovation, but the repetitive sequencing is regenerated like oxygen, you really can't stop breathing in, but at the same time you get used to it and think "i'll die someday and that's it" (what?) The things Rockstar promised to showcase through the game were not exactly what we've expected, except it was more than what we've actually imagined it to be, the graphics are purely next-gen and still above that ratio even though it's a bit representative to what Rockstar games have accomplished over the past few years. The games sandbox is quite appealing and it's resemblance to the 40's L.A. is what seems to have achieved Team-Bondi's goals for the game. The narrative is eerie along the unexpected twists and creative direction, how your choices affect your reputation as a detective, and how aggressive or persuasive you are is an amazing element that really brought the genre to life, and not forgetting the mind blowing motion-scan technology that really replicated the intensity, fear, anxiety or the suspicious looks of actors into what made L.A Noire a game that really redefined the detective game genre and blew our minds. (mine at least) Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2011
    This is absolutely an amazing game, I am playing it for the 3rd time and it is as much fun as the first, especially since my interviews don't go the same way and different suspects are picked up. Definite must-buy, another classic by Rockstar.
  17. Oct 12, 2011
    Easily one of the best games of all time. The fact that the crime is all based on real events adds a nice realism aspect. The gameplay is really fun. It got a lot of flac at launch for not being like Grand Theft Auto, but I think that's a good thing based on what we got instead. It's only real flaws are glitches found in any other Rockstar branded game.
  18. May 4, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone isL.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone is lying or telling the truth during interrogations, via the ridiculously detailed facial animation capture technology. There are shooting moments, but they pepper certain moments of rising action. It's not a normal game by any means, especially coming from the controversial developer Rockstar. But this game is by no means simple; characters are mature, the material is mature, and the way L.A. Noire engages the player is far different than anything I've ever played. The way the story, the sub plots, every single cutscene, and cases all weave together truly engage the player to think as well as examine all aspects of what exactly is going on is masterful, if a little unbalanced. The gameplay mechanics may be a little wonky at some moments, and there are a couple glitches that occur, and the story may take quite some time to start getting good, but the positives more than outweigh the negatives. L.A. Noire is innovative, fresh, and most of all engaging and challenging, all in new ways. Rockstar and Team Bondi have truly crafted an awesome and riveting experience, one that comes fairly close to be crowned the "Citizen Cane" of video games, if it is a minor bit flawed. This is one game I definitely recommend to anyone looking for a now inexpensive and very fresh take on the sandbox video game. 9.5/10, rounds up to 10 on metacritic Expand
  19. Nov 27, 2011
    This is one of the best games of the year. Everything about this game is perfect, but I have to give it a nine because there is no replay value at all. Once you beat everything, there is no reason to play the game again. I really cant wait to see what Rockstar does with this franchise in the future!
  20. Mar 1, 2012
    For me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put theFor me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put the siren on, cars tend to not move, people tend to still not care. Also, things can get kind of linear at times. The side missions always involve you shooting someone whose either robbed a bank or gotten into some kind of dispute. The great things about the game is just the experience of playing as a cop. Finding clues, questioning suspects, shootouts, trying to find the right person to charge, that whole experience is brilliant. The graphics are great, the people and their facial expressions are great, overall great game. Expand
  21. Feb 22, 2012
    As whole the game was gripping, although I play games for the narrative, story and character dev.
    I can't really make an apt review of the game play; one point it was very repetitive.
    The biggest pro to this game is the story, I shed a manly tear.
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    The depth and uniqueness that each case possess makes you feel like you're really part of the LAPD. Sure, you don't always have access to a gun, but in all honestly, it is not even necessary. It was exciting and interesting playing the "good guy" rather than the opposite, like in other "Rockstar" games.
  23. May 6, 2012
    L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3 9/10 L.A Noire 9.4/10 Expand
  24. Jan 4, 2013
    L.A. Noire reminds me of the old gangster movies. L.A. Noire has brilliant voice acting, cases that are really hard to solve and the graphics are unbelivable. It remains one of the best games Rockstar made. 9/10
  25. Sep 9, 2017
    L.A Noire is an amazing creation. Team Bondi have made a stylish, thrilling and immersive game that engages you with the story and has players bringing out the LAPD detective in them. It is both challenging and enjoyable and a must play for gamers everywhere.
  26. Nov 16, 2012
    The feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used someThe feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used some characters from Mad Men and I love that show, haha. The story was great, made me cry, to be honest lol & the gameplay is fun, being a detective was a blast, reading peoples faces was tough at times and it couldn't have been done without MotionScan. The shooting is what you'd expect it to be from a Rockstar Game, similar to Red Dead Redemption. Team Bondi did a superb job with this game whilst giving it a touch of Rockstars greatness, I highly recommend this title. Expand
  27. Jul 4, 2013
    Its restrictive world may be a little bit of a turn-off for some hardcore free-roamer fans, but "L.A. Noire's" innovative gameplay and insanely immersive narrative make it an incredible must-play.
  28. Aug 1, 2013
    One of the better games of this generation. Incredible atmosphere, attention to detail and the best facial animations to this time. The story is great, the characters feel real with all their good and bad attributes and the storytelling is original. At times, the pace is kinda slow and some cases aren' t that much interesting, but the originality makes this game of a fine quality.

The

The graphics are great though there are framedrops. Animating every move in this vast world is a great achievement though. Make Cole run and immediately stick to a wall or try jumping different kinds of objects. No clipping cause of the great collision detection system for an open world game. The facial animations though steal the show. It should be a standard for all games from now on. At times they might seem a little blurry but, seeing the muscles of the neck and be able to tell a difference makes new space in the gameplay sector.

Gameplay-wise it feels like a new-gen adventure. You have to find clues and be thorough if you want a better result for your case. You have to figure the perpetrator out and try to foresee motives. It's great and has an atmosphere that sucks you in. More activities would be great besides the street crimes so that you could feel that you're living in the 40's LA and some of the aspects of the story weren't so much been looked into such as Cole's family or his relationships with his colleagues or brothers-in-arms.

All in all, great game with some original ideas and incredible attention to detail, though its pacing is not for everyone. Like adventure games.
  29. Mar 24, 2013
    This was a very good game, really hoping there is going to be a sequel. This game kept me wanting to play more and was very easy to get into. It's also nothing like I have played before, pretty cool concept, looking for clues and stuff.
  30. Apr 16, 2013
    What an incredible experience this video game is. A journey throughout from start to finish. Very very tricky though, had to use a walk through once or twice but overall, a brilliant game!
  31. Jan 29, 2015
    It’s really hard to think of a game that has done something similar to L.A. Noire. It’s not just the fact that the player has at his/her hand the availability of a 1940s Los Angeles sandbox, but the fact that it’s never been this intriguing to play as a detective and well enough love it.

Set in 1947, the player plays as Cole Phelps, a former war hero who rises and shines through the ranks of the LAPD. As a detective, Phelps will take charge of several exciting cases, each revealing new grounds to the overall plot, only to find that his past will play quite the role in this story, and the line that divides good and evil is quite blurred.

The game does a grand job progressing the story, giving good background and development to every character the player meets, including Phelps himself. It is safe to say that not one moment throughout the game does a feeling of dullness come to mind. Each case the player is presented with is a fresh and exciting segment. This is by no means a Disney kind of story, so do not expect a cliché at the end. But that’s a good thing, right? It is, however, a very intriguing and grasping experience.

Setting presentation is above expectations. The 1940s atmosphere is immersive and grand. The urban environment is very detailed. The graphics in this game are quite beautiful. It would be a crime not to mention L.A. Noire’s character dialogue, which is to say at the very least – superb. The amazing performances are enhanced by L.A. Noire’s amazing face-capturing technology. No game, even at this point in 2013 has yet captured the detail facial expressions in L.A. Noire have. Thanks to this, the characters feel alive, they feel like real people.

Gameplay, for the most part, involves the usual sandbox mechanics. There’s the common shootout and chase side missions which are ever fun (and there are 40 of these missions throughout the L.A. area), but when it comes to the detective part of the game, L.A. Noire gets quite peculiar and unique. When asking a question, the player is faced with three options: Truth, Doubt, or Lie. In a detective game, it’s expected to talk to people in order to solve cases, and it is this why the face-capturing technology used in this game is key to the overall experience. Good part of the overall game involves the player interacting with many, many characters. The player must interview people and use clues in order to get to the bottom of things, and the way a character’s face looks and reacts with each answer they give is essential for the player to conclude whether the interviewee is lying or not. Every case presents several scenarios where Phelps finds clues. Clues give context to what’s going on, and the player is expected to use these clues during interviews to further help prove when somebody is lying. It’s very gratifying to get through a list of questions correctly, getting the truth out of a suspect without missing one question, yet a feeling of guilt can present itself every time the player misses good judgment upon their interviewee. And that’s the beauty of L.A. Noire. Interviewing people does not feel like a chore. It’s fun and exciting. The sandbox elements, which cover exploration, collection items, side quests involving police work, and cars (cars are so authentic to the period and they are cool) are well made and serve to the immersion of the game.

Given the concept of the game, which involves interacting with people a lot, one would expect for it to have RPG elements. The story, however, never changes. The player will get the same ending regardless of how you judge your suspects. It’s a shame, really, but by no means makes the game bad. Each case works as an individual “mission”, and the way the player gets through it, i.e. – getting all the clues, catching the right suspect, getting questions right, will ultimately show how well you performed at the end of the case. This performance is judged by stars. Do a great job and you’ll be awarded 5 stars, do poorly and you’ll earn as low as one star. This gameplay concept gives great replay value giving the player good reason to go back and perform better in a case after completing the game. That’s another plus, if the player wishes to play a specific case, he/she only has to select it from a list of cases – no need to start over from the beginning.

L.A. Noire is a unique experience. Characters are amazing, story is solid and interesting, and the setting and atmosphere make up for an awesome experience. Through a regular play-through, the experience can be as long as 25 hours, and thanks to the great variety in characters as well as cases, it will not feel like 25 hours in the end. It will leave behind a feeling of wanting more, and that’s a great thing to say about a game. There are instances where the player is presented with 6-8 hour games and somehow, halfway through the game, it becomes tiring just getting through it. But not L.A. Noire. This game does a great job keeping the player interested, and will, no doubt, bring him/her back to play it again.
  32. Sep 2, 2013
    9/10. The negative reviews are correct; the game is a lot like a movie that you get to somewhat be a part of, and the action scenes are very underwhelming.

However, considering I'm so interested in the post-war 1940s era, I would buy the game simply for the driving-around-in-1940s-LA aspect. It has solid character development, and the facial animation technology was fantastic. In my opinion, L.A. Noire is like a very good movie that you also get to be involved with, which is totally fine by me.

The story was nice, the way they portrayed Los Angeles was fantastic, and overall I enjoyed this game a great deal.
  33. May 16, 2018
    Although is not as good as other rockstar games ,l.a. noire is destined to be a cult game, it's narrative and it's climate is amazing and the graphics still looks good today.
  34. Dec 27, 2013
    I adore this game. It's a welcome change from mind-numbing non-stop violence such as that in GTA. Love the occasional chases, fistfights, and I absolutely adoreeeeee the interrogations. Everyone has a tell that gives away when they're lying, and it's loads of fun to theorize about who really did it. My brother and I play it together.
  35. Jan 15, 2014
    One of my favourite games ever. I played it twice through and it was still as good the second time around. Anyone looking for an action game probably won't like it but anyone who likes playing games set in an era gone by you'll love getting lost in here. Homicide Desk was a winner, Arson not so great which is why I gave it a 9/10.
  36. Jun 28, 2014
    Gets a little repetitive (like a lot of games) after a while but is a lot of fun solving crimes, chasing bad guys,shooting bad guys, and questioning suspects. I just bought this recently and GTA4 and have played L.A Noire about 75% through and GTA4 about 25% and I have to say I am enjoying LA Noire a lot more. You should definitely pick it up! You can find it now for around $5-10
  37. Mar 29, 2014
    GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case,GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case, you can ask your partner for help; If you have online, you can use intuition points to help you(use wisely because, the points are limited); If you mess up on a case, you can replay it to do better which would add a lot more time for you to have fun playing this; Fun gun play and brawls; Team Bondi did a good job making the game a near exact depiction of LA in the 1940's; All of the cars were real and actual cars from real companies; Over 90 cars to collect; Fun car chases; Good soundtrack; Funny Mad Men cameos that made me smile, even from the protagonist in the game, Aaron Staton; street crimes were optional

BAD: Boring street crimes; some of the desks like Traffic and Ad Vice were too short; The Ad Vice was inappropriately cut off right when you were about to finish; needed to have fun side activities(bowling would have been perfect as a side activity since the cops go there every week); The game ends rather abruptly(needed to be a little bit longer)

FINAL VERDICT: This game barely misses a 10/10, so it will end up as a 9/10. Needed to add side activities and make more cases to seal a 10/10. Despite the problems, it is one of the best games I have ever played and the most innovative out of all. I say this game is an ALL TIME LEGEND. Just on this game alone, there is something I have to say about Team Bondi: DEVELOPED AS A LEGEND, DIED AS A LEGEND, AND RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD TO DEVELOP ONCE MORE! That's right, Team Bondi is back and developing a game that is planned to come out in 2015 called, Whore Of The Orient, I cannot wait. Play this game immediately if you haven't already, especially if you are a fan of detective stories.
  38. Apr 7, 2014
    Instead of going down the usual route of sandbox games these days, L.A Noire implements some unique features and ways to tackle your objectives that whilst not satisfying the cravings of those wanting GTA set in the 1950s, makes for one of the most unique games that came out for it's generation and one that we most likely will not see ever again.

Not everything is perfect, clues and

Not everything is perfect, clues and questioning suspects can be deep and rewarding if you really pay attention to every detail, but the game still wanders into the same direction if you succeed or fail. It can zap some of the fun and reality out of the situation when you come to realize after your second failed interrogation, that you do not really "fail". The ending result remains the same whether or not you picked up ever clue or noticed every tell in a liar's face.

Whilst the environments are beautiful in the game, finding every clue can be a hassle as use of highlighted sound whence near a inspect-able object isn't perfect, but it works enough to give you a sense of accomplishment when you gather enough evidence to have a reasonable idea of how to tackle your next witness or suspect.

The formula stats to wear thin after a while and the action sequences aren't enough to bring the level of excitement a shootout in other sandbox games would normally deliver, but the game is unique enough that it is worth playing, and the achievements of creating almost next gen like visuals on a 5 year old console is a must see.
  39. Jul 4, 2014
    One of the best xbox 360 games you can play, even though it is a few years old. The graphics are advanced for its time and there is a very extensive amount of content. It took a few missions for me to get into the game, but once the ball got rolling i could not put it down. The city is gigantic and the AIs are well done. There is a lot of effort put into this game, and you really have toOne of the best xbox 360 games you can play, even though it is a few years old. The graphics are advanced for its time and there is a very extensive amount of content. It took a few missions for me to get into the game, but once the ball got rolling i could not put it down. The city is gigantic and the AIs are well done. There is a lot of effort put into this game, and you really have to play it to understand. This is a game you can play with your girlfriend and she wont mind watching.

I will admit, the interrogation aspect can be frustrating and some of the character reactions can be confusing, but you will love this game, especially for the low price you can get the complete edition at EB Games (18.00)

Overall, Just a very well made game that every Xbox owner needs to own
  40. Dec 11, 2014
    This game is a must play for anyone who likes an open world game, because this is that. But it's also so much more. It's a visually stunning, brilliantly written story that is matched only by the risk they took that succeeded more often than not. Admittedly not for everyone, it is worth a trial run thru to check out.
  41. Jul 27, 2015
    [LA Noire Review]

LA Noire is a truly impressive videogame, with a gripping storyline and some of the best tech on the last gen. Writing: The storyline is a great one, but it's not very smooth; It's badly paced at some parts, but this is expectable and acceptable do to the fact the game is more than twenty hours long. Anyway, the story is a hard-boiled noir story, and a good one at
    [LA Noire Review]

Writing: The storyline is a great one, but it's not very smooth; It's badly paced at some parts, but this is expectable and acceptable do to the fact the game is more than twenty hours long. Anyway, the story is a hard-boiled noir story, and a good one at that. It follows the career Of Cole Phelps (expertly played by Aron S.) a determined but overconfident cop rising the ranks. His story gets more gripping and interesting as the game delves deeper into his personal life. It's very captivating and emotional by the end, and worthy of the kind of films it's based on. The side characters are also very well written, especially Cole's old friends and partners. They all have great Kelso and ? Being a few of my favorites. Also this game benefits from not having many combat scenes. So many games end up with the cutscenes and gameplay feeling very separate and different. Your character will kill hundreds of highly armed enemies in one mission, and in the next cutscene it's treated like a small run-in with some hoodlums. But LA Noire is mostly investigation and interrogation, keeping you immersed in the story. It has one of the best stories in videgame history.

Story: 10/10
    Characters: 9/10
    Overall Writing: 19/20

Sound And Acting: The acting is some of the best in gaming. The actors have atmosphere and emotion. The tech helps Team Bondi capture the performances better than anybody had before. The music in the game is incredible. The score is rousing and exciting. It makes the game feel so much more like a classic noire film. The music is used to signify different events (each type of event has a little theme song, there's one for a gunfight, evidence search, ect.) is clever. The sound effects are also pretty good, but not as big a deal as in many games, as the game doesn't really need a huge variety of sounds. But the sounds that are there, really just a few gunshots, car sounds, and some footsteps, are well done.

FX: 8/10
    Acting: 10/10
    Overall Sound: 18/10

Animations And Physics: Most of the animations are superb the characters look incredibly realistic while climbing ladders and stairs, and while walking around. The facial animations are also great. All of the emotion on the actors face's is captured. The wrinkles and stubble are clearly visible. The only weaker point of the animation are death animations. They aren't horrible but are pretty stiff still. So in all the animations are some of the best of the last gen. When I went into the game I knew it was very story focused so I didn't expect anything great from the physics. I was pleasantly surprised. The cars crash and handle realistically, and there are plenty of physics objects to run into. There is also a soft body deformation system for the cars, making every crash realistic and unique. The ragdoll physics are also not to bad, but nothing like that of other games Rockstar had been involved in.

Physics: 6
    Animations: 9
    Overall Animations/Physics: 15

Environment: The atmosphere is top notch. Everything from the clothing to the interior design feel perfectly at home with the noire story. Everybody feels like someone from a 40s movie. The open world is also pretty awesome. It's one of the most convincing open world I've seen. The world is modeled after a huge amount of photographs of 1940s which is quite impressive. There are tons of 40s style ads, vintage storefronts, and tons of cool old cars. The game world also has a remarkable amount of enterable buildings for a decent size game, one of the largest amounts ever. Sadly there aren't any side activities that involve interacting with the city other than some cool but short lived squad calls you get while driving around. These end up with you subduing some criminals. The only activities are collecting trinkets throughout the city, sadly you can't go to bars, watch TV, or play some mini-games like in many other open world games. The controls are not very good. First I'd like to add that picking up and manipulating objects is surprisingly smooth. But other movements are not as coordinated. Sprinting is quite hard to control, you'll end up running into doorways and accidentally jumping over things (there's no jump button, so climbing and jumping is automatically activated when you sprint near a scale-able object). This is also because the camera hard to control and sometimes sluggish. The shooting isn't too bad, but it's not very precise. The interrogation and investigation scenes are the highlight of gameplay though. There's no other game with anything quite like them. You must judge if victims are lying or not and search through houses for evidence like an actual detective, both of which were very interesting and well functioning mechanics. The car handling on the other way is quite good. You can pull of all sorts of cool jumps and tricks once you get used to the handling. In all the gameplay was a bit repetitive and flawed, but unique enough to win me over.

Atmosphere: 5/5
    Entertainment: 3/5
    Environment Design: 4/5
    Gameplay/Controls: 3/5
    Overall Gameplay: 15/20

Graphics And Performance: Visually the game looks very good in both black and white and color. The black and white mode looks a little under tested as it impair you from seeing how injured your character is. Other than that, the tone of the black and white filter gives the game a distinct noire style. The color mode is very high contrast with a large color scope, making the whole game look like a vintage movie. Textures have a decent resolution, but are used in place of three dimensional objects far to often. The lighting and shadow effects are also some of the best I've seen on a last gen game. Small details of objects are actually visible on the shadows, but with closer examination shadows are very grainy on the 360 version, but I had to cut it some slack because the game was originally developed exclusively for PS3. The frame rate is also pretty steady, and I didn't see to many glitches.

Visuals: 4/5
    Lighting: 4/5
    Resolution: 5/5
    Processing: 4/5
    Overal Graphics: 17/20

LA Noire is a compelling and unique experience that I highly recommend to anyone who likes slower games.
    [94/100- Amazing]
  42. Dec 30, 2016
    diferente dos outros da produtora, agora voce controla um policial que vira detetive depois, tem ótimos momentos, mesmo nao sendo como GTA, onde voce mata todo mundo e faz muitas zoeiras, é um ótimo jogo, os personagens tem expressoes faciais impressionante, parece gente de verdade, tem momentos dificeis, e uma belo visual da cidade, mesmo nao sendo o melhor game da Rockstar, entraria nodiferente dos outros da produtora, agora voce controla um policial que vira detetive depois, tem ótimos momentos, mesmo nao sendo como GTA, onde voce mata todo mundo e faz muitas zoeiras, é um ótimo jogo, os personagens tem expressoes faciais impressionante, parece gente de verdade, tem momentos dificeis, e uma belo visual da cidade, mesmo nao sendo o melhor game da Rockstar, entraria no meu top 5. Nota 9.2 Expand
  43. Sep 15, 2011
    A very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made theA very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made the story drag. Being a story based game, it does a very good job of making you feel like a detective and the game itself is aware of that; nothing more, nothing less but I do feel that they could have added more into the gameplay Expand
  44. May 29, 2011
    LA NOIRE - a revolution in video game design but a flawed one at that.

LA NOIRE - a revolution in video game design but a flawed one at that.

L.A Noire is a game developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games. You play as Cole Phelps, a former war hero turned LAPD cop who is trying to move on with his life after the war. The game is set in Los Angeles, California in 1947. The most famous aspect of L.A Noire is the 'MotionScan' technology. Actors play out the scenes and every movement is motion captured and placed in the game. The result is a truly engaging detective experience where body language and facial expressions are a key tool to cracking the case. L.A Noire is a game which wouldn't have been possible without this technology.

L.A Noire's gameplay is made up of 4 scenarios. Driving around LA to cases, investigating the evidence at the crime scene, interrogating witnesses and suspects and car chases/on foot chases. Many people will say the game is linear, but it honestly is not. Because of the nature of the game, every case is unique, which can't be said for Grand Theft Auto.

Although a lot of people will be impressed with the content of this game, some aspects of L.A Noire has been done before. Searching for clues, investigating items and keeping a notebook record was done in 2000 by Shenmue but L.A Noire does it FAR better and expands on it. Phelp's notebook keeps a log of 'People of Interest', 'Locations' and 'Clues' relating to a case. If you join the Social Club, you can use intuition points which are earned by ranking up, to remove an answer for an interrogation, ask the community or show all the clues.

That said, L.A Noire expands on these concepts, puts them in a narrative that they fit and provides an engaging story and experience which you shouldn't miss.

Buy it!!
  45. Jun 7, 2011
    L.A Noire is a very innovative game which i commend Rockstar and Team Bondi for.It's a cross between Heavy Rain and GTA set in 1940's los angeles with a really immersive storyline which keeps you hooked.You just can't wait to get investigating the next case.Sure the game does get repetitive in terms of investigating cases,and it has the gameplay mechanics of GTA,but i still find myselfL.A Noire is a very innovative game which i commend Rockstar and Team Bondi for.It's a cross between Heavy Rain and GTA set in 1940's los angeles with a really immersive storyline which keeps you hooked.You just can't wait to get investigating the next case.Sure the game does get repetitive in terms of investigating cases,and it has the gameplay mechanics of GTA,but i still find myself completely hooked.The facial expressions are amazing and motionscan sets a new standard in graphics.The acting in the game is top notch and it's great fun carrying out interrogations and looking for clues during investigations.I'm not going to say this game is perfect,but i admire Rockstar and Bondi for taking a risk on this title.The game could do with a touch more variety in terms of gameplay,but the foundations are there to build a sequel which i would have no hesitation in purchasing.And some people need to stop comapring it to GTA,sure there are elements of it ,but this isn't GTA it's L.A Noire. Expand
  46. Nov 15, 2011
    Impressive and unique but fails to live up to the potential. A short campaign, lame collectables, and repetitive objectives take away from LA Noire's value but its rather addicting and will keep you coming back for more.
  47. Jul 1, 2011
    When I first saw L.A. Noire graphics, I was amazed by the facial animation. The work they have put in those techniques are just incredible. Letâ
  48. Jun 17, 2011
    I must say, there isn't a game out there quite like this. Remember "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Take that, and multiply the detective work by x100. Every fine detail of the world is a clue to Cole Phelps's task to solve the case. The phenomenal use of motion capture technology makes interrogations unique, interesting and makes you focus hard on the quirks of a character's faceI must say, there isn't a game out there quite like this. Remember "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Take that, and multiply the detective work by x100. Every fine detail of the world is a clue to Cole Phelps's task to solve the case. The phenomenal use of motion capture technology makes interrogations unique, interesting and makes you focus hard on the quirks of a character's face to see if they are lying or telling the truth. There is no poor performances in the game either. Each and every actor does a phenomenal job, not one actor is bad at doing his or her performance and they are 100% believable in every sense of the word. Why does it get an 8 though. Driving around is tedious and it's honestly pretty weird (though the chases are nice) and the shooting is... 'meh' at best. Other than that, a must buy. You're getting your money's worth with the amount of hours it takes to beat this title. Expand
  49. May 17, 2011
    +Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very+Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very high hopes for LA Noire. Going into Noire one should expect certain restraints from what they have experienced in past Rockstar titles (setting, time, being for the other side of the law). That being said, something is really lost being a cop instead of a criminal. Gone are the killing sprees of GTA, but you can still take whichever car you want. Expect the same GTA style chunky controls for walking, fighting and driving. My biggest issue with the game is the saving system. Imagine playing GTA or Fallout 3 from start to end of a mission without saving. When I play games I have to get the best possible outcome every time, so this meant having to redo entire cases over just to get correct questions at the end. Seriously, you can only auto save, no save slots, no going home to save, only when the games wants to save. I even had to redo missions just because of auto save confusion. I have many problems with this game, but I still am having some fun with it. Ultimately, it's a step back from GTA/RDR, with better graphics. If you're hoping for GTA craziness, you will be very disappointed. If you're hoping for a nice story with some puzzles in between, here you go. Expand
  50. Aug 7, 2011
    For the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenlyFor the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenly I'm wondering if I'm even playing the same game. The storyline starts jumping erratically, as if they simply had no idea what direction to take the main character, which is worsened by the fact that your main character actually changes for the last few hours of the game (during which you are limited to campaign missions and unable to explore the surrounding areas). By the end, I found myself wishing that the actual conclusion to the campaign had been at the end of the second act, with the third act cut out all together. It doesn't necessarily ruin the game, but the second half also had me noticing repetition that I hadn't been noticing when first playing. The actual gameplay has little variety and the case investigations feel like the have no impact on the story, so as far as long-term entertainment goes this might not be the best investment. I still think it's worth playing though, if for nothing else then at least to see the amazing graphics at work (seriously, it's creepy sometimes). It certainly sated my desire for an L.A. Confidential-style videogame, and while not as straightforward or as action-packed as something like Mafia II or GTA IV it can still be intense and exciting. Just don't expect to put it on your Top 10 list. Expand
  51. May 17, 2011
    I just bought this game at the midnight release and after 5 hours I beat it. I wont give any spoilers but this game sure is a beauty. The characters and story are spectaculor the songs building styles and cars capture that generation. This game is easily worth the price of admission. It is a bit short though for such a hyped game but in all the hype was well justified.
  52. Jun 10, 2011
    Story and character are the stars of L.A. Noire. The gameplay is only adequate, not great but never bad enough to break engagement with the story.
    ---
    Much of the gameplay should be familiar to GTA players, mediocre driving and cover based shooting in a large open world. L.A. Noire adds very basic investigation and interrogation modes where the player attempts to solve the current case. Although none of these gameplay elements are very impressive on their own, there is enough variety that they never become tedious and together are more than the sum of the parts.
    ---
    Although it takes a while before the different threads of the story come together and the non-interactive cutscenes can feel disruptive, it really pays off later in the game. There is some fantastic storytelling and character development here that drives the game forward. The much hyped facial technology looks very good, but it is the quality of the story and excellent voice acting that makes the characters engaging.
    ---
    While there is some side content and collectibles, there is not so much that the player can easily get distracted from the main storyline by less satisfying tasks. All travel sequences are skippable without penalty.
  53. May 18, 2011
    This game is a giant leap forward in interactive storytelling. If you're looking for something to scratch that trigger finger itch, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a deep story with compelling characters, and a pace that's more Monkey Island than GTA, you're in for a treat. L.A. in '47 feels very right, whether driving, walking, or chasing perps through the streets; setting isThis game is a giant leap forward in interactive storytelling. If you're looking for something to scratch that trigger finger itch, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a deep story with compelling characters, and a pace that's more Monkey Island than GTA, you're in for a treat. L.A. in '47 feels very right, whether driving, walking, or chasing perps through the streets; setting is extremely important in the noire genre, and Bondi and Rockstar hit this nail on the head. The characters are... almost perfect. Watching cut-scenes is no longer something painful - gone are the wooden and expressionless mannequins that never quite jive with the voice acting. Here, you're watching a performance, and although the tech falters just slightly in places, the effect is astonishing. Suddenly you want to pay attention closely, and not just because it could help you in your case. Maybe it's simply because it's so new, but the MotionScan tech is nothing short of compelling. Unfortunately, it's not perfect, and there have been a couple times so far where things don't look quite right, and are off enough to break the wonderful immersion the game achieves. About the only other criticism I can think of at the moment is that there's not a lot of information presented about the "side quests" (street crimes, hidden vehicles, landmarks, other collectibles). These things are intended to be done between major developments in the main cases, but the game tends to instill a sense of urgency, always giving you the next objective to complete; I ended up feeling like I was doing a bad job as a cop, because I was tracking down cool cars or other "side" activities, instead of going to meet my next witness. The funny part is, I don't think I'd feel this way if Aaron Staton's performance as your character Cole Phelps wasn't so good - you really believe he's a stand-up guy, trying to do the right thing. Along similar lines, because you're a cop, you aren't free to cause havoc like in GTA. Your duty is to protect pedestrians, not splatter them, and at the end of each major case you'll be docked for all cars you damaged, any civilians killed, and any damage done to the City (park benches, lamp posts, etc). Luckily, the pedestrians actually try and avoid becoming hood ornaments and it's a lot of fun to race through the streets threading between cars and people. All in all, L.A. Noire creates a much different feel than GTA or RDR, but in a unique and very satisfying way. I don't think this style of game (or technology) is the future of all gaming, but I can't wait to see what they do with it next. 8.5 (Roundedd down to 8) Expand
  54. Jul 26, 2011
    The story is excellent. It's also extremely linear. There's exploration, action, and drama. It's a fun adventure in the shoes of a starchy and hard-nosed detective. The rendering of classic LA is fantastic. You can spend hours just driving around looking for landmarks and hidden film cans. But a large portion is trying to solve cases. The cases are challenging enough, but they also aren'tThe story is excellent. It's also extremely linear. There's exploration, action, and drama. It's a fun adventure in the shoes of a starchy and hard-nosed detective. The rendering of classic LA is fantastic. You can spend hours just driving around looking for landmarks and hidden film cans. But a large portion is trying to solve cases. The cases are challenging enough, but they also aren't as rewarding as you would think. Most of the murder cases don't actually get solve which is annoying. All in all. For the story and for the representation of Los Angeles post WWII, it's worth picking up. Expand
  55. May 29, 2011
    When you go into this game, don't expect an old fashioned GTA or a modern RDR. L.A. Noire is a completely different game. Everything about it shys away from the classic sandbox genre, and as one can expect with such a genre changing game, it does some things right, and some things wrong. What it does right is to connect the player to the game. This was the first sandbox title that made meWhen you go into this game, don't expect an old fashioned GTA or a modern RDR. L.A. Noire is a completely different game. Everything about it shys away from the classic sandbox genre, and as one can expect with such a genre changing game, it does some things right, and some things wrong. What it does right is to connect the player to the game. This was the first sandbox title that made me actually feel guilty after smashing someones car or running over a lamppost. The cases are fun and engaging, the characters are believable, and the gunfights and chases managed to keep me on the edge of my seat. But throughout the game I couldn't help but think that something was missing. There just wasn't anything to do between cases. A few side quest would have helped, maybe even a few street crimes that weren't half way across town. You just take a case, ace it or screw it up, and move on to the next one. And that's why I can't give this game a perfect score. Expand
  56. Jun 1, 2011
    This game was, at the very least, interesting. It's facial expressions were very realistic, and the city made me feel like I really was in the late 40's. However, this game fell flat on it's face in some areas. First of all, the gameplay, while fun, becomes somewhat repetitive after several missions. The process was Look for clues, Interview, Chase, Interrogation. This game seemed toThis game was, at the very least, interesting. It's facial expressions were very realistic, and the city made me feel like I really was in the late 40's. However, this game fell flat on it's face in some areas. First of all, the gameplay, while fun, becomes somewhat repetitive after several missions. The process was Look for clues, Interview, Chase, Interrogation. This game seemed to suffer from "Assassin's Creed Syndrome" (putting so much effort into new tech that you forgot to focus on the gameplay). However, the story is somewhat interesting, and the music really blended nicely. This game could improve, but was very well done. Expand
  57. Jun 1, 2011
    I'll start of by saying that this game is very different from other "sandbox" I'd go as far to not even call this game a sandbox game. The things you can do outside the main plot are very trivial, but fun for people who like achieving everything in games.

Keeping thins in mind, La Noire is a really well made game. The story is strong, and the use of professional actors really makes the plots believable. La Noire is a game for people who like games with a strong story like: " Heavy Rain, Mass Effect or basically any story driven RPG"
  58. Jun 1, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I gave the game an 8 for a reason. The main reason the game got an 8 from me was the pacing. . . it was just a little too linear for my taste to be from Rockstar. It is an extremely entertaining game, but is is purely story driven, and if you are someone like me, who works all day in a dismal office setting, you want to go home and just blow someDon't get me wrong, I love this game, but I gave the game an 8 for a reason. The main reason the game got an 8 from me was the pacing. . . it was just a little too linear for my taste to be from Rockstar. It is an extremely entertaining game, but is is purely story driven, and if you are someone like me, who works all day in a dismal office setting, you want to go home and just blow some stuff up. I love the concept, and the storyline were very appealing, I just had issues with getting negative marks for driving, which is really hard to do if you don't run people over, or damage stuff, but if you let your partner drive all the time, you miss out on some pretty funny dialogue between you and your partner. I do thoroughly enjoy giving people the beat down in the brawl mode though, very fulfilling . . . Expand
  59. Jun 10, 2011
    This game is like a long movie, just bring popcorn because, all the time you are just running or doing some slow things, started getting repetitive soon as started but the story is the nice thing here, and the graphics.
    Nice game, great story, gameplay so-so

It's worth a rent
  60. Jun 25, 2011
    Overall, a phenomenal game. I was hoping for a 1940s version of GTA IV, but am starting to really get into this one. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is responsive. My wife even enjoys watching me solve the cases as we play through the game. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants a single player break from the FPS genre.

Pros: Gameplay, graphics, facial technology,

Pros: Gameplay, graphics, facial technology, storyline
    Cons: The game takes a while to get into. The cases sort of resemble each other for a while and can get monotonous.
  61. Jul 24, 2011
    There is a lot wrong and a lot right about L.A. Noire. First, the good.
    There is a lot wrong and a lot right about L.A. Noire. First, the good.
    The newly introduced motion capture on the people that you meet throughout the game is pretty incredible, and is certainly a revolutionary step in gaming. The dialogue is well done, and well acted, some of it even made me chuckle from time to time. The city is beautiful and feels immersive, it's fun to simply drive in one of the many incredible cars that are available to be driven around LA. The graphics are very good, which only strengthens the new face motion capture for a truly wonderful experience when walking around, searching for clues and talking to people.
    Unfortunately, this game gets tedious quite fast though. You will feel like you are doing the same thing over and over after every case, and there is a particular desk which has way too many similar cases. After about 2/3 of the game, it will feel more like a drag because the story is also rather forgettable and tedious. Your view of the main protagonist changes significantly and personally, I do not think that he should've been cast in such a bad light closer to 3/4 of the game. The last desk was especially boring, which also took a very strange turn rather abruptly and was also hindered by an attrocious ending. Regarding the actual gameplay, there are certainly some issues with the questioning. Because some actors overact, and some underact, you are sometimes left with quite an unfair judgement of deciding whether someone is lying or telling the truth. Also when presenting evidence to support your accusation, there are many times when picking something would've actually made sense in the context of the case, but did not hold true because there was no flexibility in presenting your evidence and the structure was rather linear, as is most of the game.
    Nevertheless, it is a decent game, and definitely one that needs to be tried out by everybody - though it is by no means FOR everybody to enjoy. Those who are expecting a GTA style game - look elsewhere. It is a mostly enjoyable, although quite linear experience, and feels more like a movie than a game. I would give the first half of the game a 9 and the second a 7, so overall I feel it deserves an 8.
  62. Dec 13, 2011
    L.A. Noire would be great if it were'nt for its repetitive nature , but it still manages to be unique in its own way . A little more variety and this could very well have been a Game of the Year contender but nevertheless , if you're looking for challenging investigations , excellent attention to detail , a " slow to kick into high gear " yet memorable story , then L.A. Noire is the game for you .
  63. Sep 24, 2011
    Alot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can'tAlot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can't distinguish between a developer and a publisher. R* is not the developer it is the publisher Team Bondi is the developer they are the same company that made the Getaway game series last gen. And all the people who are saying that you can't do alot of things in this game it is because it is not a Sandbox game. This game is detective, crime investigation and interactive movie kind of a game the only other game that can actually be compared to it is Heavy rain the only difference is that this game gives you more freedom. As a huge fan of the detective and crime investigation having watched all these kind of shows on TV I really liked this game. All the cases are fun and have a really good and well detailed background. The cases are divided into a number of different segments in some segments you have to find clues, some segments are foot and vehicle chase sequences, gun fighting segments and the best one of them all the interrogations. The interrogations are really well done you ask someone a question and you have to tell if they are telling the truth, lying to you (by using evidence) or you can doubt on them and you can do this while looking at all the evidence you found and noted in your diary these segments are all really fantastic specially for us detective fans and your interrogations will change the segments that will play out later on in the cases, the superb acting by the cast during interrogations also adds alot of them. The chase sequences are also fun and well done. The gun fighting in the game however can get repetitive and dull at times and is not nearly as epic and fun as you see in shooters and games like GTA and RDR but they are still satisfying. The cases can get repetitive though so I would not recommend doing more than 2 cases at the time so that you can get as much fun as you can out of this game. I am a little disappointed however that some cases are really waay to short and leave alot to be desired and I also just wish that there were more cases in the actual game. The game's story which is told through a series of flash back scenes telling you more about your main characters is also very well written and interesting. The game also looks fantastic quite possibly one of the best looking games on the 360 the facial animations are super realistic, the environments are just breath taking and the animations are also very well done. The voice acting/acting is also great and realistic specially during the interrogations. The game also has a bunch of sidequests but they are far less than you would see in a GTA game or a Sandbox game, there are 40 side missions while they are fun, some of them can get repetitive and most are too short. Along with that there are landmarks and vehicles to discover and unlock but this can get boring after a while. However another problem with the game is that it is on 3 discs on the 360 the problem is not that you have to get up mid game and swap discs the problem is that if one disc gets messed up you have to buy all 3 all over again and considering how high the price is that is a really big problem. Thats why I would recommend the Ps3 version as its only on one disc and has slightly better graphics. The music in this game really suits the time period the game is set in and also suites the environments. Overall I would say L.A Noire is a great game which could have been even better if it wasn't for a few flaws. If you are a fan of the detective genre, like games which are like interactive movies and are looking for a different and unique experience when you play a game than you should definitely get L.A Noire however if you are expecting a sandbox game like GTA or Red Dead than this game is not for you. 8.5/10 Expand
  64. Oct 7, 2011
    Rockstar proves that they could make a very awesome yet addictive games beside GTA. and it paid by this game.. L.A Noire. since the first time i heard and watched the trailer of this game, i'm instantly became a fan. not just that i like a challenging and "thinking" game, but i also want to see the awesome graphic (especially the facial expression of the people) in this game and RockstarRockstar proves that they could make a very awesome yet addictive games beside GTA. and it paid by this game.. L.A Noire. since the first time i heard and watched the trailer of this game, i'm instantly became a fan. not just that i like a challenging and "thinking" game, but i also want to see the awesome graphic (especially the facial expression of the people) in this game and Rockstar made an amazing job on this one. the checking of crime scene and the investigating method looks very realistic that makes u wanna become a detective after playing this game. the environment looks so amazingly great (it is represent what 1950's look like in the real life) the voice acting was so awesome and i think if Hollywood considered to make a great detective movie or another video game movie, L.A Noire could be a good one. unfortunately, this game also has a negative point such as: repetitive mission and repetitive side mission (they just change the case story) but all of that can be forget, because the game also put an interesting storyline of the main character, Cole Phelps and Jack Kelso. so if u all a fan of Rockstar games product (especially GTA) and also a detective game fan, this game is a must have. and, if u just wanna play around and try around, this game is also quite good enough to play. Expand
  65. Nov 10, 2011
    All the cases are thought out, and Homicide desk is **** brilliant, with first class writing and exceptional dramaturgy. The game has a strong gallery of characters, motion capture that is out of this world and an excellent soundtrack.

Sounds like a perfect 10, does it not? It would be, If not for the insanely frustrating ending that makes love to you from behind. And I'm not talking

Sounds like a perfect 10, does it not?

It would be, If not for the insanely frustrating ending that makes love to you from behind. And I'm not talking about the good kind of backdoor lovemaking that you want to try out with your girlfriend.

You should still definitely buy the game and play it like it's golden ecstasy on fire, but - for the love of everything good and jolly in this world - don't rush it because you're expecting an epic conclusion at the end.
  66. Nov 26, 2011
    While it lacked some replay value and interesting side missions, it were a very nice story with an interesting anti-hero and play style. And the facial expressions are awsome.
  67. Nov 21, 2011
    Interesting, unique, and yet lacking enough polish to give this game a higher score. Some of the missions had enough movie-going quality to warrant the title, while others were rehashed tropes of video games in the past. This game started to wear out its welcome after 30 or so hours.
  68. Feb 4, 2012
    The good: the new motionscan tech, the acting, the story, the great music
    The bad: limited world, stiff body animations and modeling, limited gameplay variety.

overall - very solid game.
  69. Mar 11, 2012
    LA Noire takes face animation to a whole new level. LA Noire is based on true crimes that were committed in LA. You play as Cole Phelps a World War II vet searching for justice in LA. The only problem with the game is that there is not much replay involved. The only replay is you can approach different situations different ways. For example; One time you may say someone is telling theLA Noire takes face animation to a whole new level. LA Noire is based on true crimes that were committed in LA. You play as Cole Phelps a World War II vet searching for justice in LA. The only problem with the game is that there is not much replay involved. The only replay is you can approach different situations different ways. For example; One time you may say someone is telling the truth, that may be right or wrong, another time you can say they are lying. Ever decision you make goes through the mission/case differently, but by the end the result in the case is usually the same unless you have a choice on who to charge, or you compleatly screw up the case and things don't really make sense at all. The VERDICT: LA Noire is a great first time play through. Things do get repetitive, but other then that this game is one of my favorites. I'm someone who always pretends to be the cop driving around in GTA, so this game fit my needs pretty well. Expand
  70. Mar 20, 2012
    There are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in aThere are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in a serious way. It really is only a mystery once; there are no options, no alternates, just the same outcomes to each case. I beat this game 100% (my second Rockstar 100% after RDR), and while I still find myself playing RDR every once in a while, I have not touched L.A. Noire since my final achievement. There is nothing left for me to do. Combine that with some tedious tasks required to get 100% completion (randomly spawning collectibles, WHY), repetitive side quests, and a few mechanical problems, this game gets an 8. I enjoyed it immensely, but there is no replay value to it at all. Rent it, beat it, return it. It is not a game I would advocate purchasing Expand
  71. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10 Story: 8/10 Gameplay: 7/10 Voice Acting: 8/10 Soundtrack: 7/10 Enjoyment: 9/10 =
    7.8 (Great)
    L.A Noire is a flamin' amazing game. If you haven't already buy it! All 3 disks on Xbox keep you entertained for hours and may even drag you into the story like it did to me.
  72. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The presentation and voice acting is stellar. The concept is really cool too. The game play feels like every other big Rockstar game (GTA, Red Dead Redemption) and that is good or bad depending on how you feel about it. Investigating areas is streamlined and basic but how it all adds up at end is rewarding The golden pig of the
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The golden pig of the whole operation is supposed to be the questioning of suspects and motion capture visuals and yada yada yada. All I can say is it's pretty good. I found it really hard to read suspects reactions and gestures. What looked like avoiding eye contact sometimes was just a defiant suspect. What looked like a cooperative straight to the point suspect was sometimes a flat out liar.

And maybe that was the whole point in an effort to avoid a cookie cutter game and to show how police work has lots of gray areas. It still left me feeling frustrated because even if I was a master at reading people, I don't think I would have made every correct choice. Lots of these missions need a couple playthroughs to perfect and even then, help online was needed here and there.

The story keeps you wanting more as it avoids the start-from-the-bottom and work to-the-top format. Later missions deal with an arson of all things instead of a Mob Mafia Mastermind like you may predict although the game has that too)

It's worth checking out
  73. Jun 27, 2013
    If you're looking for a unique game, LA Noire is a definite "must own" game. The whole is just very well done. The motion capture system used is spot on and the game has a sense of realism I have not seen in any other game. Really, the only flaw with this game is the gameplay, which by the third disk gets a bit stale and repetitive.
    If you like to try new things, give LA Noire a shot.
  74. Jan 2, 2014
    This game comes with 3 discs. The first was much better than I expected, a story about a soldier turned cop whose excellent detective work allowed him to rise through the ranks. The second disc was him at the height of his career, bent on catching a serial killer, and this disc was amazing. This game would be a 10 for me if the game ended with the capture of the main villian, 10 out of 10.This game comes with 3 discs. The first was much better than I expected, a story about a soldier turned cop whose excellent detective work allowed him to rise through the ranks. The second disc was him at the height of his career, bent on catching a serial killer, and this disc was amazing. This game would be a 10 for me if the game ended with the capture of the main villian, 10 out of 10. But then disc three started. First of all, Cole has an affair for literally no reason, and tbh, the subject of his wife wasnt even touched upon in the last two discs. So he gets demoted to arson, the dullest series of cases ive ever seen. Then you find out that stuff happened in the war that makes Cole feel guilty. And because of this, he pointlessly sacrifices himself at the end for a girl he doesnt even love. WTF rockstar??? Expand
  75. Sep 24, 2014
    This game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have toThis game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have to tell if a persons Lying, telling the truth, or holding out on you. You have to check dead bodies too. You will be able to tell do rockstar using actual spot on facial animations. Tha map feels so hugh, even though there's not much to in the world you will be traveling for minutes. Due to it having so many blocks. You an reply to street crimes. (Which do get very repetitive) Well you make you're way through 5 ranks abd you get different partners:

Patrol (This is sort of like a totourial) Partner Ralph Dunn
    Traffic (You deal with car accident crimes) Partner Stefan Bekowsky
    Homicide ( Dealing with murder crimes) Partner Rusty Galloway
    Vice (Dealing with drug crimes) Partner Roy Earl
    Arson (Dealing with fire crimes) Partner Hershel.
    All partners act different, my favorite partner was Rusty. My least favorite was Roy. He's such a racist and a sexist.
    My favorites were Vice and Homicide. Searching for shipments, or trying murders were really interesting. As you progress through the game you'll become famous. NPC will say "Hey, you're the dectective in the paper."
    The voice acting is spot on.
    The shooting and the car physics were great.

Now let's talk about why I didn't give LA Noire a 10 or 9. there are quite a few cons too it.

1. It doesn't feel like an open world game. This game has a big and dense map, however there's nothing to do in it. I know this isn't GTA, but that still doesn't change the fact that there should be more content. It

2. The Graphics. the facial animations were good, but the graphics weren't all that at all. They seemed worst then GTA IV's.

3. It's very repetitive. Mostly every mission's the same, and that get's boring.

But other than that it's a great game.
  76. Jan 1, 2015
    This game is a master piece in every way, from its detective noir style story to its shootout moments, to its tense and jazz style music. Its hard to imagine you won't like this game. You play as Cole Phelps a new detective proving yourself to the force. While dealing with the real world, you learn about Phelps cold past. Overall a solid game.
  77. Jun 13, 2011
    Good game.
    Too much hype maybe for the "facial motion scan" technology used in this game which is honestly impressive. And it's the core of the game. Sadly, it's impact is mitigated on the overall experience. Nevertheless many developers should use this technology in all future releases.
    Good game.

Otherwise gameplay wise, the game is slow, sometimes dull so you have to be patient, shooting is 'clunky', action is repetitive (but it's not 'that' repetitive as others claim in my opinion) and most seriously, when it comes to the story's pacing itself, it's a little messy. Suddenly some important events occur abruptly, very quickly in the scenario/story (could have been smoother) You have no real control over the events: even if you fail questioning, the game will still go on and there's absolutely no real attachment/affection/sympathy to any of the characters in the game.

It's a good game, a nice and courageous try but it's definitely not a gaming revolution as some might have claimed.

7.5/10
    Not Bad
  78. Jul 30, 2011
    You cannot really think of this as a video game. Its more like an interactive film.

Although the story telling, acting and atmosphere are amazing, I found the crucial interrogation system to be deeply flawed. If I got a question wrong I would quit out to the menu and reload from the same point, otherwise I miss out on the plot which is VERY irritating. I think they could have explored the morality aspect a bit more, it would be interesting if you weren't such a clean cut cop. If you had the ability to take bribes, plant evidence or force confessions with violence I think it would have made the game more interesting because even though Cole Phelps does everything by the book, the player should be able to make their own decisions. Instead, I felt like a passenger following him around.
  79. May 18, 2011
    This is not GTA - 1940's. You should be made completely aware of this before you decide to buy the game. The game really is pretty basic in it's game play. The basic game play is as follows:

1) Drive to Point A 2) Search for Clues 3) Interview someone 4) Get graded 5) Drive to Point B if necessary 6) Repeat When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls

1) Drive to Point A
    2) Search for Clues
    3) Interview someone
    4) Get graded
    5) Drive to Point B if necessary
    6) Repeat

When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls where you can intercept crimes. This basically consists of a shootout or chasing down a criminal across streets, up buildings and over fences.

The unfortunate part of all this is that it gets old fast. The story is good and the characters are somewhat interesting, so you keep plugging along, but you get the undying urge to want to drive/run all around the city to start trouble or see what you can get into, but it is not necessary and therefore you feel like this massive city was created for naught.

Although I enjoyed the story, it feels like there is a HUGE piece of the game that was untapped or hidden or just plain forgot about. Although the city is alive and buzzing, you feel unattached to it and its citizens and you are left wondering about all the things that could have been added to the GAME PLAY outside of the story that would have made this a Titan of a game.

The Save system might be my biggest gripe of all. It's autosave and you have no way of saving when you want, no way of reloading and trying a scenario out differently. The frustration in this is that you will sometimes know exactly how a crime went down but you might have picked the wrong question and steered the ending in a direction you did not want.

All in all, I do commend the developers for trying something new, but if this was given another year, and there was focus outside of the story, I couldn't imagine what this could have become.

Some other reviewer mentioned that this is Carmen Sandeigo for adults and I honestly couldn't agree more.
  80. May 21, 2011
    L.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowedL.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowed by the strong and noticeable flaws. The large part of the game is very repetitive. Although, you could say this strongly represents cop work. After I got to vice I found myself groaning at the presentation of more cases. Let's get one thing straight. The graphics are phenomenal. Everything has detail and is crisp,bold, and well real. I should also point out that I am a huge fan of noir. I feel that this is a bold game, but the game overstays its welcome with repetition over a ridiculous length. It reminds me of RE4. An amazing game if it hadn't lasted as long.Buy it if you must, but don't expect any replay value.I'd say it's worth a rent, but I got bored a little past halfway. Expand
  81. X11
    Aug 28, 2011
    Decent. Interesting premise. Competently done. Story was quite good at points. Rockstar voice-acting, better than most as usual. Not hoping for another in the series, however.
  82. May 21, 2011
    Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer,Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer, no change in choice. Once you beat this game it's over. In today's days, I'm not sure any game that does not have multiplayer or strong replay value of some sort gets over a 7. Expand
  83. Jul 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great + Action is ok + Allows you to skip parts after a few attempts to continue the story. Great idea! + Faces look terrific. + I really liked some of the main characters. - Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original
    + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great
    + Action is ok
    + Faces look terrific.
    + I really liked some of the main characters.

- Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the time it's trial and error, and error means the clue is gone forever. Knowing when to press (try to get more by intimidating) or to reveal a lie (by presenting evidence) can be very confusing and frustrating. The faces don't always help, since sometimes the "lying motion"only kicks in after 15 seconds. Phoenix Wright got this way, WAY better.
    - The story is sometimes extremely poorly told. With the plethora of characters in the game, the story writers should have done a better job keeping the spotlights right and the designers should have given an option to review past characters. Also, some of the climaxes just don't make sense, because of the addition of action gameplay. Some scenes are just ruined because random mobsters show up for no apparent reason other then to be your cannon fodder. I found the ending very unsatisfying as well.
    - Interface and restrictions are clunky sometimes, especially during the action scenes and chases.
    - Some cases are very poor. The biggest flaw of them is that they often don't leave the solving part to the player. I literally thought at some cases: This is **** neither of this suspects did it, and still I have to press charges against one. That's maybe the stupidest thing a game designer designing a game where the investigation skills of a player are tested can do. It's like saying to a soccer striker:"yeah you can run down with the ball, but God forbid you to take a shot at the goal!" It made me feel stupid, it made Cole look stupid and it made the whole cheering crowd look stupid. Again, Phoenix Wright got this WAY better.
    - (small) Some minor annoying bugs. (X360, My personal worst bug was the playing of the boss music during a tragic cutscene...)

All with all, L.A. Noire did a bold and good job, especially on the aesthetics department. The story department had it's high ups and low downs, and the gameplay department should have put some more effort in making stuff more clear to the player. I hope they learn from their design errors and take the time to make the successor of L.A. Noire a more complete and potent experience.
  84. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  85. Jun 1, 2011
    For those who loved the GTA series, L.A. Noire has got to be a taste of something familiar. But that's not always a good thing. The characters and cars handle about as good as a drunk guy pushing an overloaded wheelbarrow over a grease covered hockey rink. Now that I've got the biggest negative out of the way, we can move onto more positive territory.Ã
  86. May 17, 2011
    The presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazingThe presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazing game. As it stands, the clunky mechanics and lack of any real challenge in either action or investigation cause LA Noire to fall a little short. Expand
  87. May 24, 2011
    Wow this game is Amazing ON PS3,to bad for Xbox users 3 discs LMAO. Overall it's a must have game that harkens back to era of simpler times.Gunplay is it not as exciting as you would expect,but the story is where it shines,think of this game as more of an interactive story and treat it as such.
  88. May 17, 2011
    Let me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is goodLet me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is good and bad. It's not quite as open as the grand theft auto games, but it is much more interesting and engaging. Some cases are boring, and some are great. The interviews and interrogations are pretty cool, but they kind of hold your hand through it. If you do something wrong and fail the case, you just go back to the last checkpoint. The facial animations are awesome, but not something I particularly care much about because it's a GAME. It is not a movie, which is what it feels like at times. I would usually be upset that the developers spent most of their money on crap like facial animations because I would think it would take away from the rest of the game. In this case, I don't notice anything. This is a very polished game. I'm giving it a 7 because it was over-hyped and the interviews and game videos leading up to the release were very misleading (trust me, I saw all of it). Please don't expect an action packed, high-octane thrill ride of a game. This game moves much slower. I expected this, but I wanted the investigations and clue system to be a little bit deeper. Overall, this game is a good buy. Unlike everyone else, I don't necessarily think it makes you feel like a detective, but it is certainly very fun and engaging. Definitely rent before you buy if you can. This game is good, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  89. May 19, 2011
    I'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy andI'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy and unrealistic, but not too bad. Foot chases are always the exact same thing and it gets a little repetitive. All chases are heavily scripted, and the runner is always faster than Cole. It doesn't even really feel like you're chasing them, just following them until the scene ends. The action on a whole is pretty sub-par and just not very engaging.

On the graphics front, it's not too bad. The face animation is unlike anything you've seen in a game before and is definitely this game's biggest accomplishment. Player animations are pretty smooth on a whole; Cole tends to make smooth transitions from walking, to running, to jumping over an obstacle, to climbing a drainpipe. However, there are a few sloppy animations, such as the snap to cover, in which it looks as though Cole is practically teleporting into the nearest cover. The graphics otherwise are pretty good, textures are great, as are the models; but everything looks a little blurry, and the framerate has trouble staying smooth in quite a few areas.

Now, for where the game really shines: it's story, and playing as a detective. Each case feels unique (aside from the very predictable chases that ensue every time you find the culprit), and become increasingly challenging as Cole moves up the food chain. The player rarely feels at a loss, however, because with the careful spending of intuition points, the player can make it through the most difficult interrogations flawlessly. Clue finding feels rewarding when you stumble onto a clue amidst the junk, but is never too difficult. If the player is having a hard time finding clues, the player has the option to turn on some context sensitive sounds, such as a chime when you're near something that can be investigated, to help point them in the right direction. However, detective-work can become irritating for perfectionists, as the game will continue even if you fail to collect all clues in the area and correctly gauge each suspect. This can lead to the frequent need to load a save, which is all that much more annoying due to the fact that there is no "Load Checkpoint" option. The player is forced to quit to the main menu and hit resume game, which will put him back at the start of the last location he entered, forcing him to recollect all clues before getting back to the interrogation.

Overall, the game's core elements (story and detective-work) feel pretty on (thanks in no small part to the impressive MotionScan technology), but is ultimately held back by the rest of the game; feeling half finished and underwhelming, as well as a few development oversights, such as the lack of a decent checkpoint system, forcing you to replay large sections of the game should you screw up. To give a score, I think a 7/10 feels about right.
  90. May 24, 2011
    Solid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you playSolid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you play with subtitles you are ruining the experience. Expand
  91. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. About 3/4th of the way through. Fun game, great concept. However it is a little repetitive. Chasing the suspect every other mission with the same outcome is kind of becoming common. Other than that, I would recommend the game. Expand
  92. May 30, 2011
    Initially impressive - and kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi for doing something a little different - but soon a feeling of being too tightly directed takes hold. In one case, because I chose to follow a particular line of inquiry (not in the order the developers intended), I wasn't given the opportunity to go question someone else against whom I had evidence: the case just got closed andInitially impressive - and kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi for doing something a little different - but soon a feeling of being too tightly directed takes hold. In one case, because I chose to follow a particular line of inquiry (not in the order the developers intended), I wasn't given the opportunity to go question someone else against whom I had evidence: the case just got closed and one perp got off without so much as a visit from me. The illusion of 'reality' given by the underlying story, the facial mo-cap and the real-world environment is shattered by you not having the freedom of choice you would have in that situation. In short: the novelty and tech raise your expectations, then fail to meet them. There is a similar tension between the need to solve crimes and the inability to pursue your own ideas of how and why those crimes took place. To get this right in a videogame is of course supremely difficult, but maybe less emphasis should have been put on restrictive story arcs and more on standalone cases that gave you a little more freedom to fail.

The developers want you to experience 'the story' from beginning to end and this becomes too apparent about a third of the way in. It is still an enjoyable game and, as a gamer of long experience, I'm pleased to have something different and more mature in theme and execution to play, but it isn't the landmark some reviews would have you believe.There are odd visual glitches (eg, a taxi driver standing on his car instead of sitting inside it, a man laying in, rather than on, a mattress), and frame rate issues when things get busy. The switch between sandbox and cut scene, eg, when you arrive at the scene of an incident, can also be a little jarring, but overall it is a beautiful, evocative thing to look at and listen to.

It seems churlish to give it a low score given the amount of effort that has clearly gone into the game. Without the huge 3-disc environment, the professional acting and the facial animation innovation it would be a 6. With it, it deserves a 7. With the gameplay challenges of the format overcome it would have been a 9. Let's hope the good bits turn up in other games in the future and that no one tries to do something similar, but with less effort and panache (yeah, we can hope...).
  93. Jun 8, 2011
    About two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of havingAbout two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of having to restart the game from scratch or abandon the effort. I quickly realized I have no interest in doing it all again so I will probably trade the game in this weekend. There is nothing broken about the game (other than my corrupted file) - it's just repetitive, and not that interesting once you get over the novelty. I definately give Rockstar an "A" for effort both in trying a new game format and a new game setting but there has to be more to a game than novelty. Expand
  94. Jun 1, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull byI was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull by the time you get to disc 2 (On Xbox). It's very repetitive, and seems lacking in the depth I expected from the game. However, that said, it's still good enough to keep playing but if you haven't got it already, I'd suggest waiting for the price to drop before forking out your hard-earned. Expand
  95. Jun 7, 2011
    It's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don'tIt's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don't help either Expand
  96. Jun 19, 2011
    While i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, TeamWhile i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, Team Bondi and Rstar games failed to grasp this philosophy. 7/10 Expand
  97. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 2/3 of the game are one long tutorial that finally picks up the Noir beat for the final stretch. However, the best parts end up more watched than played. Its worth playing if you're interested in games in general, and it's not bad for new gamers looking to hone their skills. Is it amazing? No. It is interesting? Yes.
  98. Jul 22, 2011
    Awesome concept but by the end I just wanted it to be over. Theres only so many clues I can handle searching for. At the end of the day I still think its worth picking up though.
  99. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  100. Nov 21, 2011
    When you get past the innovation and face expressions what you have is an average game that reminds me of the repetitive game play that was once assassins creed. It was fun half way in after that I could care less. I know its a detective story and its not GTA however picking A, B or C in the end is still A,B or C.

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]