7.8

1. May 22, 2011
    This game is amazing! I've seen people complaining about the length and the lack of multiplayer but it doesn't need it. And as for the length 25 hours+ is a long game. Just don't go into it expecting the mindless violence of games such as GTA and Saints row and you'll enjoy it.
  2. May 17, 2011
    This is the next level for video game graphics. Hopefully this style becomes the standard for future games. Fun, thought provoking, and entertaining. Everything a great game should be.
  3. May 17, 2011
    This is a game that you will not want to miss. The story is one of the greatest i have ever come across, the gameplay is fantastic, and the replay ability is instant. This more than matches up with last years RDR. What will Rockstar do next. That's the beauty of it.
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    This game does things that are quite innovative and frankly it should be something that changes how games are done in the future. The facial motion capture, and the use of real actors makes the game a classic. There's actually quite a bit to do in the game besides the cases, so it never gets boring. The realism of the cars, and the settings are so spot on, its just amazing. There's a point in the game (about 3 quarters in I guess), where the flashbacks is done so well, its as good as a great movie. Suddenly you have a character is more human and interesting than any in gaming history. After you figure out how to interrogate, that almost becomes the best part. Gathering evidence also gets more fun since you start to realize how to close a case. And when you want something else to do, you can run around find a hidden vehicle, or film real. Great fun and worth replaying. Expand
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    Hell **** yeah!!! this game is **** awesome. Seriously. I don't know what they make their people do at Rocksar but they should keep doing it because this game has everything that I could possibly want out of a detective game. Even side missions like street crimes. Jesus Christ, this is awesome
  6. May 21, 2011
    Just like Red Dead Redemption before it, there's nothing else quite like it. Another gem from the Rockstar stable.

If your expecting GTA does noir, then your gonna be dissapionted.
  7. May 20, 2011
    I really enjoy this game, I think the negative reviews are coming from peple that have the wrong idea of what this game is about. It's not about killing people. It's not about shooting people up. It's not at all like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. If you approach this game realistically and play it realistically, actually acting like a cop and not trying to break the law yourself, then it's an amazing game. You need to play this game right or you won't enjoy it. Expand
  8. May 17, 2011
    This is another amazing game from Rockstar Games. Team Bondi did a great job with the development of this game as well as Rockstar. This game progressively gets better. It is a must have.
  9. May 23, 2011
    I've just completed this game, and it is exceptional. The look of this game is amazing, beautiful graphics and wonderful facial animations, most of all though i like the clever use of lighting in this game, it really feels like a 'noir' inspired game. The attention to detail is amazing and every part of post WWII LA is perfectly recreated. The story is excellent and the twist at the end certainly shocked me. Gameplay is good, but is pretty much identical to GTA 4, which is not a bad thing. The only couple of points that im disappointed with are, firstly the driving, which could use a lot of tweaking. It took me quite a while to get use to, so i mainly just let my partner drive, and also the outcome of your own personal decisions - whatever option use choose to take, the outcome is the same each time. You'll understand me when you play this game. It's not enough of an issue though to stop me giving this a 10. Brilliant game.. Expand
  10. May 28, 2011
    This is my Favourite Game of all time (Mainly because im a big Noir Genre fan) it is full of exciting missions and it is a BIG Game! I love the Story, its classic Noir at it's best! The Gameplay is Fresh and unique and the Graphics are Remarkable. Go out and Buy this Game!
  11. Jun 2, 2011
    I'm rating this a ten just to even out the average meta score. All the user "critics" who rated it negatively have to be either looking for attention or just being a troll.

Anybody who loves games should truly see the value of this game...This is an extremely high budget game that tries to do something new, and that is incredibly rare these days when the industry is looking to make its
    next Battlefield Call of Duty Wii Sports.

This game has its flaws, but at least it tried to color outside the lines.
  12. May 20, 2011
    Please, if you have any sanity, do not listen to any negative reviews; LA Noire has come under a small attack of trolls who try to trick you into not purchasing good games, as seen by Portal 2's reviews. Any serious reviews that are displeased by this game, which is unlikely, are simply done by idiots and children. This game takes many steps forward from your casual game by introducing something unheard of by angsty teenagers everywhere-- more story than there is combat! Yes, I'm sure all of you short-witted and impatient 12-year-olds out there are angered by this, but do not worry, if you have ever played an actual videogame in your life besides Call of Duty, then you will probably love LA Noire. Expand
  13. May 17, 2011
    The most beautifully crafted game since Heavy Rain, an immediate Game of the Year contender and the most ambitious title Rockstar have ever produced. So far this year it is equal only to Portal 2 in terms of ground-breaking game mechanics and it's sheer brilliance.
  14. May 24, 2011
    A truly special experience. This game was clearly meant for a certain kind of gamer. An adult gamer and one that has a mature mind. Those who scoring this game low clearly lack the maturity to appreciate it for what it is...a work of art. If you go I to this game expecting GTA not only are you a fool you will be disappointed.
  15. May 31, 2011
    Like some critics have said, L.A. Noire might not be a game that everyone will love, but it is a necessary game for people who want to see how video games have and will evolve. I begin with this because there is a lot to this game that may turn people away - it is NOT your typical GTA game except for driving, story comes before action, trial-and-error may become necessary, and the pace of the game is slow. As for me, I thought this game was amazing. I've always loved adventure games, but production values and quality assurance usually leaves something to be desired for your average adventure game. But here we have a giant in the gaming industry producing an uncompromising adventure game - it is a dream come true for someone like me. Roaming crime scenes and interrogating suspects is a thrilling departure from typical gaming fare. The new facial animation technology is a stunning innovation that merges real human emotion into the game worlds; it is not quite perfect, but it must be seen. There is simply nothing like it. Before ending, though, I should note that environments take a while to load (especially when driving), causing some frequent texture pop-in. But since the core of the game is in detective work, this is not that detrimental. Expand
  16. May 17, 2011
    I have really enjoyed the hours I have put into this game so far. If anyone was ever a fan of point and click adventures or detective novels and movies I strongly recommend you the game due to the sheer amount of detail put into the cases.
  17. May 21, 2011
    First before I start, don't listen to the bad reviews on the game, there just trolls who just want to rate down the game. I am so far in about 6-7 hours into the game and so far I love it .Graphics: Graphics look amazing, facial recognition is the best ever in a game, and there is a ton of detail on the city. Setting takes place in recreated 1947 Los Angeles, which means it resembles the actual city of Los Angeles in the 40s, and the city is HUGE; biggest city ever in a rockstar game. You start out as Cole Phelps who who wants to bring justice(goodie detective) and rises through ranks of departments from cop to vice and others ranks. You mainly find clues and do interrogations of suspects and witnesses for the main story, and there are some shooting actions and car and feet chasing; there are a total of 21 story cases each are very long except the beginning ones. There are also side investigations that you can start from your police car; similar to city task in gta4 and stranger task in red dead; total of 40 side cases. There are a total of 95 cars to drive. There is a level up system where you get exp by how well you do interrogations and other stuff (20 ranks in total and each rank unlocks something such as suits and hidden cars) and you get intuition points which help you in cases. Other stuff to do are finding rare landmarks which there are 30 in total, finding film reels which are 50 in total, finding newspapers during story cases which are 15 in total which reveals a story of a psychiatrist, and hidden rare vehicles you have to find around the city (15 total). You can replay cases to get a better rank which means u don't have to start over the game and there's even a "free roam" mode which I believe some games should have; *cough* *cough* Mafia 2. Some negatives is that it is more limited than red dead and gta but isn't really meant to be a sandbox game and can get repetitive sometimes. Overall La Noire is a great game that's a mix of gta and heavy rain. It offers a lot of challenge and paying attention. Highly recommend it and also join rockstar's social club for a better experience. Expand
  18. Apr 26, 2014
    I am writing this after finally playing the PC version of the game and it`s one of the most pleasant surprises I`ve had in gaming. The reason is that according to Metacritic there is no PC version, and yet I felt I had to put my two cents in here about LA Noire.
    Not being a huge GTA fan due to my profound lack of interest in Russian pimps with fake accents, f-bombs and car chases I wasn`t
    expecting too much from this game. But by golly did it have one of the best stories I`ve seen in a game to date. It is also a technical marvel, recreating 1946 LA faithfully enough, which is where the game takes place. The graphics and sound are good and the game play excellent. Occasionally there isn`t a whole lot where you`d expect there to be at least something, but considering that the game simulates a huge city it can hardly be avoided. Even so, LA Noire does an admirable job of making LA appear fully inhabited anyway,. And a mini game of sorts of police radio emergencies means that you`ll have small twists interrupting your pursuit of the main quest all through the game, so giving you more variety than games like Mafia for example. As for the sound the only problem I had was the car radio that keeps going every time you step into the car. When you hear the same news story and the same semi-annoying 1940s song every ten minutes for the entire duration of the game it loses some of its immersive quality. Of course you can turn the radio off, but then it`s all quiet and weird.... But the voiceovers and sound FX are all good, as is the music.

Basically you play as a police detective and follow the ups and downs of his career while uncovering the main story. But since it`s open world you can do this whenever you want to, and me I had a blast just driving various cars way too fast around town and regularly forgot what I was supposed to be doing.
    Anyway, police officer Cole Phelps drives around chasing bad guys and investigating crime scenes before interrogating witnesses and suspects. The interrogations make use of a facial motion capture technique to hint at when suspects are lying, and it is so realistic that I could actually recognize several real life TV actors Rockstar had hired to play the parts. Do all this well enough and you`ll move on to the next case, and the next desk and eventually to the grim ending to the game. The investigation of cases is somewhat similar to what games like CSI have done, but in my mind a lot more interesting because they are in fully interactive environments and part of a larger story going on. In particular some of the main cases for Phelps to solve at the end of each chapter are large, involve multiple crime scenes and feel just riveting. This part of the game really sucks you into what`s going on and gives you a constant feeling of achievement.
    But the thing that really makes LA Noire shine is the amazing story and the compelling characters you`ll get to know while progressing through it. There are really no one-dimensional cliche figures. Rather with almost all the main characters, including Phelps, you tend to think you have them figured out just to have something emerge that makes them more nuanced, and therefore more convincing and interesting. On rare occasions computer games can play like interactive versions of quality novels and this is such an occasion. Saying more might spoil it though, so I won`t.

If you like adventure games, detective simulations, driving games or just plain old great game design and story telling then rush out and get LA Noire with all haste. The only negative thing about this game is that something this good only comes along every five years or so, if we`re lucky, so you will inevitably enter quality-withdrawal just as soon as you finish it.

PS: Judging by reviews above there are some loading issues on the console version but obviously none of that on the PC. If there are other differences I wouldn`t be able to tell you.
  19. May 18, 2011
    The best things about the game isn't gameplay, graphics, sound, voice acting, the facial system, the evidence finding, or the 50's setting. The best thing about this game is the NAKED LADIES!
  20. May 17, 2011
    Facciamo subito un po' di chiarezza sulle caratteristiche, siamo di fronte ad un gioco che nelle basi condivide la struttura delle due precedenti produzioni Rockstar, intese come una mappa liberamente esplorabile (anzi, in L.A. Noire lo è fin da subito per intero), la visuale libera in terza persona, la possibilità di guidare macchine e muoversi a piedi, missioni primarie, secondarie e collezionabili di ogni sorta. Appurato questo, sono il "cuore" della produzione e il fluire del gameplay a donare quella freschezza e personalità necessarie per emergere da quei due mostri sacri che inevitabilmente sono stati utilizzati dagli utenti come confronto durante il corso dei mesi. La prima differenza più visibile e scontata è rappresentata dall'ambientazione: siamo nella Los Angeles di fine anni 40', dove i grattacieli di Downtown non avevano ancora preso il sopravvento e invece Sunset Boulevard non era così distante da quella dei giorni nostri. Una Los Angeles ancora più mitica, che dopo la seconda guerra mondiale cominciava a mostrare al mondo intero la potenza della sua macchina cinematografica e del vivere sempre al massimo. Ma anche una Los Angeles dominata da un malaffare creato dai veterani tornati dalla guerra, dal racket delle scommesse, dalla droga, da incendi dolosi e da serial killer che si divertono a prendere in giro la polizia investigativa. In questo scenario il vostro alter ego è Cole Phelps, ex marine che al ritorno in patria entra a far parte della polizia come investigatore, secondo un filo conduttore che lo porterà poi a fare carriera nella omicidi, narcotici (chiamata anche Vice) e così via.
    Nessuno spazio alla componente multigiocatore, L.A. Noire per quanto disponga di molte delle caratteristiche proprie dei free roam predilige un approccio del giocatore più lineare, dove girovagare per la città diventa più un piacere visivo che altro, magari addirittura dopo aver terminato le vicende principali. Vi è infatti una apposita opzione denominata free roam che risulta utile per completare la raccolta di collezionabili oppure le missioni secondarie. La narrazione si sviluppa secondo tre piani paralleli, quello principale prevede la risoluzione di ventuno casi investigativi incentrati sulle problematiche esplicate poche righe più sopra, secondo un filo logico che inizialmente sembra essere scollegato nelle sue parti, ma che in seguito porta alla luce connessioni sempre maggiori tra i personaggi e i crimini nei quali si imbatte Phelps.
    Tra ogni caso e il successivo ci sono dei flashback non interattivi legati al periodo precedente a quello vissuto direttamente (la guerra ad Okinawa del 45' soprattutto) mentre durante lo svolgimento dei casi è possibile raccogliere dei giornali grazie ai quali lanciare brevi filmati che arricchiscono la storia principale e che mostrano le vicende di personaggi coinvolti in qualche modo con il protagonista principale. Qualcuno si starà sicuramente chiedendo se è possibile entrare negli edifici a proprio piacimento. La risposta è ni, nel senso che la maggior parte delle volte si può solamente se sono funzionali alla missione in corso; esistono ad ogni modo dei luoghi famosi che sono accessibili anche in altre occasioni ma che comunque hanno poco da offrire se non dal punto di vista puramente visivo. Eccoci al gameplay dunque, Cole Phelps si controlla come ci si aspetterebbe, il movimento demandato allo stick analogico sinistro, telecamera a quello destro e così via. La stessa cosa vale per le sezioni in macchina e le sparatorie, che condividono il sistema di copertura "fisso" come quello di Mafia 2 e in maniera standard per il genere. Sia ben chiaro però, la componente di azione in L.A Noire non è affatto quella principale, ma è anzi è relativa soprattutto alle missioni secondarie, che mai come in questo caso possono essere utilizzate per spezzare la storia e il tipo di gameplay che il gioco ha da offrire per la maggior parte del tempo. Il loro accesso è semplice, quando si è alla guida di una macchina della polizia può capitare in maniera casuale di ricevere una chiamata, la si accetta con il tasto A e immediatamente appare la posizione da raggiungere sulla mappa.
    Le missioni secondarie prevedono ad esempio sparatorie dopo un assalto in banca, inseguimenti in auto oppure a piedi, in strada o per palazzi, la cosa carina però è rappresentata dal fatto che queste quaranta missioni hanno nome proprio e un minimo di diversificazione sempre e comunque, a testimonianza che il Team Bondi ha cercato di rendere il titolo il più credibile possibile e legato ad un impianto narrativo.
    Tutto sommato, un vero capolavoro da non perdere.
  21. May 17, 2011
    I just bought this game at the midnight release and after 5 hours I beat it. I wont give any spoilers but this game sure is a beauty. The characters and story are spectaculor the songs building styles and cars capture that generation. This game is easily worth the price of admission. It is a bit short though for such a hyped game but in all the hype was well justified.
  22. May 30, 2011
    Anyone who says this is a bad game is a little girl. This game has the graphics, characters, storyline, everything is there. the storyline is very intence with cases that will keep you guessing for the whole game it also has a back story (srry no spoilers) I kust really loved this game i dont no what to say.
  23. May 17, 2011
    A few hours in, I'm falling in love with this game. First, I'd like to say that the facial expressions due to the MotionScan tech is spot on. Interviews are interesting and you feel like a true detective when you get someone to admit they're hiding something. Aside from the interviews, the animations during the in-game cutscenes are amazing and honestly unlike anything I've seen. The gameplay is great from the shootouts to the driving. Clue collecting before interrogations feels rewarding and for those who have played a GTA/RDR, the controls will feel right at home. The story is compelling so far along with the back story and other bits of info you find along the way. It really makes me look forward to seeing how everything comes together when I make a dent in the game.

I can't wait to sink more hours into it, but this will definitely be a game I fall in love with.
  24. May 17, 2011
    Fantastic game! I was up all night playing it. It is the cure for the common fps. If you don't enjoy this game it says a lot about your personality. Just because this isn't COD doesn't mean it isn't worth your time or attention.
  25. May 17, 2011
    What a stunning achievement for gaming. When people tak about games as art this is the sort of thing they'll point to. Easily the most immersive experience I've had with a videogame. Bondi and Rockstar did a wonderful job at crafting the investigative elements into something addicting and surprisingly intelligent. And there's of course the revolutionary facial animation tech. The ability to capture an actor's true performance gives the game's story and characters an incredible amount of believability and emotional weight.

If you consider yourself at all a fan of the art of good storytelling then it'd be a complete disservice to not play this game.
  26. May 17, 2011
    A revolutionary title that exceeds expectations on all levels, L.A. Noire takes a leap forward in the adventure genre, as well as the technology genre. This video game is a prime example where art influences the technology, and the technology influences the art. Its very rare when video games, or any media for that matter, pull this off effectively, but this game has. It's a new form of game-play all together, not something many are used to, and that is why there are less than deserving reviews out there. People need to realize that this game isn't meant to build off of the past, but instead move to the future, and to be honest I like where this game is taking us. Expand
  27. May 21, 2011
    L.A Noire is just one of the best games I have ever played to be totally honest! The replayability is there, you can easily replay all of the cases again, with many different outcomes, etc. In Short: The graphics are just perfect, I would rate them 10/10
    Sound and Voice Acting is AMAZING! 10/10
    Gameplay - 10/10
    Replayability - 10/10 - Trust me, I would play this over and over again, it
    does not get repetitive, so don't listen to this negative reviews, they are just HATERS! Rockstar games and team Bondi have made history......

L.A Noire is a Masterpiece!
  28. May 17, 2011
    The people who rip the "feel" of this game, obviously don't understand it was not intended to be your stereotypical video game. It was designed to be an interactive detective story, much like "Heavy Rain" on the PS3. Both games are very innovative. Rockstar took it a step farther and included more gameplay, even allowing you the ability to wield your weapon and personally drive throughout the city. I would not knock this game until you beat it, as your involvement becomes greater as you progress. Initially, it does get repetitive, but later on, the game changes just as you are about to become bored, and it'll capture your attention again, entirely. Expand
  29. May 17, 2011
    This game is Great!!! This games has cars, races, guns, chases, but it is not only about this. It is about using your brain. If you like just shooting and crashing everything you see, this is not for you, here you need to think. Graphics is very good, facial animation is AMAZING!
  30. May 17, 2011
    First off. If you are expecting GTA 5 than please spare yourself the pain and don't play it. So far I am 13 hours in and have only shot 36 people.This game is not about shooting up LA it is a game about intense investigation. This is my 2nd favorite game I have EVER played. I was honestly shocked when I saw the scores that this game got. It is the most immersive game I have ever played (except possibly bioshock). The new face technology is flat out amazing. You can really see every movement in the characters faces. If you are looking for a game that requires REAL thought, and doesn't require you to mindlessly kill people this is the only place to look. Amazing game through and through. Also I think the car physics are fine. Everyone needs to keep in mind that these are 1940's cars, not a lamborghini. Expand
  31. May 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a fantastic game. It's story, presentation and gameplay are all solid. The new motion scan tech is definitely the best part of the game. What it does is bring real life facial animation to L.A. Noire's character using 32 HD cameras. L.A. Noire also has the most meticulously recreated version of Los Angeles to ever appear in a video game.
  32. May 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire makes me feel spoiled. It was until I started playing this game two days ago that I realized how accustomed we've all become to the stagnancy of games today. I can't remember the last time I played something this fresh. It's really reinvigorated my love for the art of video games. Every thing about L.A. Noire just oozes detail and as I get further into the game it's becoming more and more evident that really is the product of the utmost love and care from Rockstar and Team Bondi. And more than the presentation and polish, the actual mechanics are a total blast. Something about the investigation elements is so damn satisfying, partly because they're truly unlike anything I've done in games before. Gaming's vocabulary when it comes to activities for its audience for so long has been mostly "punch, hit, shoot, kill, blow up" etc. But now, thanks to L.A. Noire, we can expand that vocabulary a little bit. Intelligent and mature gamers the world over rejoice. Something special has arrived. Expand
  33. May 17, 2011
    Thank you Team Bondi. Thank you. Seriously. Thank you for realizing that some of us out there want more. That we've shot enough people in the head, captured enough flags, and performed more than our fair share of super combos that this industry is long overdue for something new. Something new is precisely what comes to mind when I think of this game. I'm 14 hours in and not once have I been able to directly relate this to other games I've played. It's just so damn unique. The closest thing would probably be old school adventure games, but even those are left in the dust by L.A. Noire. I don't really know where to even begin. I could talk about the downright gripping narrative, the unmatched facial technology, the palpable atmosphere, the vibrantly recreated and supremely beautiful city of Los Angeles or the thrilling investigative elements. Maybe it sounds crazy, but yeah, finding clues and interrogating witnesses? Actually a hell of a lot of fun. Especially those interrogations. I seriously did not think they were going to be able to pull it off. That "talking" to someone would actually end up being interesting. Now that I have the full thing it's my favourite part of the game! The mechanics are great, but what really tops it off is the technology. The way L.A. Noire is able to capture an actor's performance makes it feel like you're actually engaging in a conversation with a real person, instead of all the lifeless, dead-eyed video game characters of the past. You truly have to read their faces and find out whether or not they're simply scared, or hiding an ocean of guilt. I could go on and on in similar fashion for just about every facet of the game, but I unfortunately don't have the space here. To sum it up, this is truly a new frontier for interactive storytelling. I feel lucky to be witnessing it firsthand and I can only hope that other developers take notice and will similarly strive to push the medium forward the way Bondi and Rockstar have. An absolutely spectacular achievement that feel lucky to be able to experience. Expand
  34. May 18, 2011
    The best game ever made. I just want to say the faces look REAL in this game. I wouold ignore the IGN review the guy who reviewed it was called HILARY. I mean cmon.
  35. May 18, 2011
    Simplemente comentar que este juego es una fantástica aventura de novela negra, y la gente que está decepcionada es porque espera un GTA, y este juego es de todo menos un GTA. Solo queda felicitar a todo el equipo de Team Bondi por su trabajo, y a Rockstar Games por haber dado una vez más con la tecla correcta, y por supuesto felicitar a toda la gente que va a poder disfrutar del título, entre los que me incluyo yo. Título imprescindible en vuestras estanterías. Salu2!! Expand
  36. May 18, 2011
    This is not a game for every one. I will say that up front. This is a game for a more mature audience that is tired of the same old cookie cutter FPS or Sandbox errand runner. It is for the most part an interactive detective movie that is set in the Iconic L.A. of the late 1940's. You can't just mindlessly plow through the game and expect to enjoy yourself. The cases which are the backbone mechanic of the game are well thought out and require more than just relying on the facial expressions of those you are questioning. Being able to logically link evidence together allows you to delve deeper into the motives that led to the crimes you are investigating. The story thus far is quite intriguing though am only about a third of the way through. You play Cole Phelps who was a former officer for the Marines in WWII who came to L.A. and became a cop. Cole is an idealist and believes that hard work and good investigative skills are the key to solving the crimes he is tapped for. His thought process seems to be at odds with the rest of the department who don't all seem to be on the up and up. The game play is solid regardless of what other reviewers have said. Yes the driving is not as precise as Rockstar's GTA 4 but that is because it is not supposed to be. This is the era of giant 2 ton steal monster Cadillacs and Lincolns. The cars back then handled like tanks and that is how they handle in the game and I feel adds to the authenticity. I can see why some people may not like the game but I am not one of those. I see the ingenuity of Noir and am glad that Team Bondai and Rockstar had the guts to go against the norm and make an amazing game that will keep me engaged until the end. Expand
  37. May 20, 2011
    This is a must have game for those who place story and atmosphere at the top of there wish-lists when it comes to the things they seek for entertainment. L.A. Noire brings these elements in spades. Each case brings you deeper into the "reality" the developers have constructed. Action junkies will complain about its pace, which admittedly is not as urgent or fast as some people require for it to hold there attention, but with a little patience you can enjoy this groundbreaking game in all its glory. --As a side note to those who complain about the ease with which clues may be found or interrogations can be carried out, TURN OFF THE HINTS AND DON'T USE INTUITION. They are adjustable for a reason-- To summarize, great graphics, great story, great gameplay (in its own niche), and GREAT GAME. Expand
  38. Jun 7, 2011
    Pros:
    Voice-Acting, Storyline, Graphics, Gameplay (walking over the dead body, engaging with an interactive environment, ie sit at the bar or in a chair, & pick up a murder weapon to inspect it)

Cons:
    Training Wheels should be an option instead of making it the entire Traffic desk case load, Glitches (Walls, people, & cars randomly appearing in a suspects apartment building room right on
    top of my F'n crime scene! Rockstar wtf? The driving aspect is good and bad depending on what car you drive.

Summary: I thought this was going to be open-ended? This is linear & it may be the most linear Rockstar game to date. If Rockstar adds a Felon option or a crooked cop into the game, like someone on the take who steals from the evidence room, commits blackmail , plants evidence, etc... it would open this beautiful recreation of 1940s LA to a lot more options & it would offer the player a lot more to explore instead of making it feel like the most beautiful cardboard cut out of a city that you've seen. It's like taking your first trip to New York City but you never leave the cab. Sure you may see everything & its convenient, but its nothing compared to running wild in the streets.
  39. May 21, 2011
    One of the best games of 2011. Thanks Rockstar GAmes, thanks Team Bondi was give us a very great game and a very awesome story mode ever! I played it and i really love it. Hope Team Bondi makes the sequel or prequel of L.A. Noire.
  40. May 22, 2011
    The review under green don't like videogames anymore, don't like inovations anymore. L.A. Noire is the best game of the year and Rockstar proved that sandbox is a kind of game that you can enjoy FOREVER. This games is innovative, beatiful and the new motion face cap is the most wonderful thing that I've seen in a videogame. Im from Brazil. Mateus Prado Sousa
  41. May 23, 2011
    Rockstars history is violent and bloody for sure. Known for creating Red dead redemption, Bully, Manhunt and ofcourse the 'notorious' Grand theft auto series. Rockstars team Bondi does things differently and places you on the opposite side of drug dealers, murderers and the mafia. Story

You play Cole Phelps, a veteran who fought the japanese in the second world war and started working in
    the city of Los Angeles for the police as a street cop. Through out the game little will be told about cole's social and personal life. Information about he's experiences in the war are told by cutscenes after certain cases you solve. They provide some info about cole's personality and past but later in the game these cut scenes will occur less often. Not much is givin away about Cole nor he's family or social ties. You will occasionally get some additional information about the protagonist from the conversations with you're partner while driving to a location but this is not enough for me to make me care about him. The entire story aspect however is not bad. As the cases you must solve have plenty of good story telling in them. They keep you interested and there are plenty of plot twists in them to make you keep guessing and investigating. Together with the sublime voice acting and face animations it will keep you hooked till the last second. Gameplay

L.A. Noire is a sandboy game but with it's restrictions. I found Mafia 2 quite a linear sandbox game with little to do outside story progressing missions. If this made you dissapointed and trade back or not buy mafia 2 then you should not even attempt at trying this game out. There are no real side missions except for the occasional dispatch call. You are givin all the time in the world to visit all the landmarks, collect all movie reels and read all newspapers but it doesn't fit in a serious game like this as you are always investegating a case. There are 5 kinds of gameplay in L.A. Noire: Investigating, shooting, driving, interrogation and chasing. Investegating and interrogation are the primary gameplay aspects in this game. This game is about detective work. To find evidence and exctract evidence from suspects in order to succesfully solve you're case. Shoot outs are rare but a good diversion and chases on foot or car are exciting and make the experience less repetative. Investegating a crime scene or a another location is simple. Walking near an object you can investigate will make you're controller vibrate. Once you have picked up the item you are able to inspect it from different angles, making you search for information about the item you picked up. once you have discoverd all clues the investigation soundtheme will stop playing. Interrogation is not as simple as gathering clues. When interogating a suspect you will pull out you're notebook which is a tool mainly for marking a destination on the map, writing down clues and asking questions. People you interview will react differently to the questions you ask. After you asked someone a question they will either Lie, tell the truth or are in doubt. Judging by how they react to a question you can select one of the three options. It is really awesome, But there are also some little flaws here in there. Judging if someone is lying or is in doubt can be really difficult as the facial animations are alike. And since a question can only be asked once this can be frustrating. To claim that a person is lying you must always have evidence to back up you're claim. This is a risky business as you must always have the right evidence in you're notebook to prove them wrong. sometimes evidence seems most likely to prove that a person is lying. This is not always the right one and sometimes after you claim that you're suspect is lying, the clue you thought that would prove it becomes the wrong clue because sometimes after you stated that the suspect is lying the suspect will raise a question irrelivant to the question you asked. It is still very well executed never the less.

Shootouts and chases are situations you won't come across often although chases are more common. I noticed one thing almost immediately. You don't have a weapon reel nor can you store weapons anywhere. Everytime you pull you're gun you will always use you're standard pistol. You can pick up weapons from fallen enemy's. Unfortunatly you can't keep them. Chasing someone in a car or on foot is easy but fun. the routes and car crashes are all scripted but they still managed to impress me. Presentation & Sound

L.A. Noire looks very good and ofcourse the main selling points of this game is it's revolutionary face animations. This game would not have been that special if they did not use this technique. Graphics look smooth, realistic and the mechanics work fine. This game is very special no doubt. This game is the best in what it offers.
  42. Jun 12, 2011
    this game is awesome no dout its based pro world war 2 your officer cole phelps u start off as a loley cop but u finish the game much more than that it has amazing graphics,acting great gamplay though most gamers who refuse 2 evolve like the gaming industry has every case changes its just great has great side missions crime street cases,collect cars,locations & due 2 dlc police badges which unlocks a new costume ive played it 2 times straight & never got bored its a masterpeice must own 4 any gamer & this game is not grand theft auto your a detective not a gangster remember that Expand
  43. May 25, 2011
    LA Noire, is set in a gloriously convincing depiction of Los Angeles in 1947.
    The controls are similar to GTA, the game style is very different to GTA. You are a LAPD detective, question suspects and witnesses, solving cases. You have to analyze facial responses and bodily twitches, just like in real life.
    Overall it is an outstanding game, very fun, well worth the money. Breathtaking
    camera work, well done rockstar and Team Bondi for producing an outstanding game. Very addictive. Expand
  44. May 26, 2011
    L.A. Noire is unlike ANYTHING in stores now. Its worth the 60 bucks it really is. It's a slow pace game so if youre used to shooting up things then just rent it and try it but everyone needs to at least give this game a go
  45. Jun 3, 2011
    I love Rockstar games, I loved Gta IV, I loved RDR. but L.A. Noire is just an ok game, its brilliant what Rockstar tried to do but the first part of the game I was bored the homicide disc was brilliant then th rest of the game was ok. I don't understand why they didn't have stranger missions, that was one of the best parts of RDR. This was a good attempt at what could have been a brilliant game.
  46. Jun 6, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a great game, and it is shameful that people buy this game, thinking it is a GTA type game. Rockstar said a million times that it isn't, and dumbasses like Rosenzweigjcb do not see the beauty and true meaning of this game, and yet waste their $60 and troll on this game. Really, I honestly think that people buy this game, just to troll Rockstar for not making a GTA type game this time around. Jesus, just play GTA IV all over again if you need to, or wait another few years for GTA V. (GTA 5 for those idiots who cannot read Roman Numerals.) The story is great, and it brings a new type of game play to the world of gaming. I personally love it, and cannot wait for the upcoming DLC due in a couple of weeks. Expand
  47. Jun 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think this game is a very exciting experience for every gamer. Rockstar is very experienced and confident developer that creates only the best titles. And this game is one of the best their project. L.A. Noire is a very serious and realistic sandbox-box that shows you detective's routine. MotionScan is amazing and makes Noire more realistic and exciting. This is one of the most interesting game of this year. Expand
  48. Jun 8, 2011
    Easily one of the best written games to come out since mass effect 2. The game play is well curved and its unique style of play and exploration is fantastic. It treads some new ground and it does it well. Any fan of new experience or intelligent/puzzle game play should give it a go.
  49. Jun 8, 2011
    If I ever learn that a friend or family member doesn't like this game, I will be forced to cut them out of my life lest they infect me with their bad taste. It is nothing short of a masterpiece. There's an unpleasant plot twist near the end that will put many people off, but it was a necessary one to elevate the character of Cole Phelps from bland protagonist to one of the most three-dimensional characters I've ever encountered outside of real life. My only problem with this game is that it's over. Seriously, buy this game. Expand
  50. Jun 8, 2011
    This game is quite amazing. I think that Rockstar did an excellent job with this game. You can tell they spent a lot of time into making sure you got the feel for the era of this game. You are a detective that was a purple star receiver and an amazing detective trying to make the streets of L.A. a better place. It is rather challenging to choose the correct response in interviews, however, it has been a while since I have last played a game that is both very fun to play and that is also a challenge without having to choose a difficulty setting. It is slow at first, but once you get used to how the game is played, there is no problems. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good challenging game that will keep you guessing. Expand
  51. Jun 12, 2011
    An awesome game. You'll love it if you like anything Rockstar puts out. The ending was very noirish, that's all I can say without spoiling anything. Check it out if you haven't already.
  52. Jun 15, 2011
    Rockstar have done it again, L.A. Noire was released with plenty of hype, mostly with regards to the new MotionScan capture technology being used on the faces of the characters in the game, and have they ever surpassed the expectations.

For anyone who has played any of Rockstars previous sandbox games (Grand Theft Auto series, Red Dead Redemption) you will spot an almost instant major
    difference, instead of operating outside the law, you take control of a young up and coming patrolman, Cole Phelps as he works his way through the seedy underbelly of 1940â Expand
  53. Jun 23, 2011
    Now let me begin this, L.A Noire is one of the best game out there. Imagine if you are a detective and you want to solve crimes. You got yourself this game. You will start thinking that this is a rip-off GTA. Wrong. This is a true revolutionary. It is basically like a tree. It connects from one thing to another depending on how do you solve the case. The game also has RPG elements. Like the experience, dialogue choices, and more.

The graphics is very good. It uses a great technology motion capture tools stuff that I don't have any idea how it worked. It is revolutionary. A new thing on a game. The shooting mechanic works well, the AI is not stupid at all, and the environment looks detailed. The story is awesome and I have nothing again to say with this game. The final score is actually [ 11 ] out of 10. Revolutionary. And a MUST-BUY
  54. Jun 26, 2011
    Its is a stunning game, with awesome graphics. This is the game that i have been looking for, this format needs to be in other games. Its a mind blowing beautiful-looking game with good and difficult cases.
  55. Jun 29, 2011
  56. Jul 16, 2011
    Excellent game with strong story, excellent characters and voice acting. The "feel" is one of the best I have ever experienced in a video game.The only Drawback in my opinion is that I expected it to be a little longer by I don't mind because of its excellency. Can't wait for its sequel
  57. Feb 3, 2013
    A revolutionary game that sets new standards in facial animation. An interesting character, gorgeous period detail, immersive graphics and audio. If you enjoy Philip Marlow you or Sam Spade you will love this game.
  58. Sep 26, 2011
    Very impressive graphics specially the facial expressions, storyline is good just like heavy ran though a bit dragging at times, tension and excitement can be felt whle playing beig one with the character so to speak. Movemes were somewhat repetitive though adequately compensated by its graphics.
  59. Nov 15, 2011
    When i was playing this game, it was like a 30h film. I've enjoyed too much with this game and its amazing history. 10/10 perfect game, you must buy it if you like SP amazing games.
  60. Dec 16, 2011
    Anyone else feel like they're actually within the game? Especially with the Dahlia Murders. This is the climax of the game. I'm not saying the rest is awful, it isn't, but this was a jewel.
  61. Jan 30, 2012
    First off, this game is amazing. The detail, graphics, storyline, and gameplay are fantastic. The storyline is the best part of it all, as with every rockstar game. even if u dislike the gameplay, at least recognize the hard work that was put into making this and detail this game has to offer.
  62. Feb 29, 2012
    Ok rant time people this is not GTA yes its made by rockstar and the car driving is similar, if this was GTA it would have it in the title. OK it can be repetitive but that's only cos your a dictective, so if you find a body your gonna be looking for clues in the same way. but you dont have to follow the story there are side missions and challanges to do. I like it cos you actually have to use your head in this game and use deductive reasoning to achieve the right out come. More CSI than GTA. Gr8 Game Graphics with the face capture, and the o;y game that showed some guts in using new tech in 2011. Expand
  63. Jun 6, 2012
    I'm currently about halfway through this game, and I had to come here and add a review. I'm really, really impressed. The acting, and performance technology are head and shoulders (ha) above anything else out there. You can actually recognize characters face, and see subtle performance ticks that haven't gone through the hand-animation grinder. It really creates an atmosphere of reality that's missing from so many games. The dialog is handled very well, and the writing is great. I like the atmosphere just driving around town. I just played Diablo 3, so quality writing and dialogue complexity really shine for me here. The in-game radio is really nice too, adding to the feel of being in the 1940's with shows like "The Bickersons" Now, some VERY small gripes-- I wish there was even more variety on the radio stations in the game. It would have helped the reality if they never repeated. I also wish there was a little more variety in what the in-game secondary characters say, so they aren't always just talking about seeing me in the paper over and over. Also, I wish there was a bit more to the interviews so they didn't feel so much like guessing games. Maybe there could have been some way to examine evidence again during interviews and combine them with characters and locations to see if Phelps sees the connection I do before I'm in an interview. These gripes are so small for me they really only barely nick the score so I'm sticking with a 10. Expand
  64. Jul 15, 2012
    This game gets a 10 from me and if I could go higher I would, this game is worth $ 80.00 if you ask me. Please get the game you will not be disappointed. It is rockstars best game besides Gta 4. It's reviewedgames game of the year 2011.
  65. Nov 7, 2012
    The reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technical standpoint the game is a marvel, not a single glitch in my playthrough and the motionscan is remarkable. The shootouts are fun, the cover system is simple but its still good the car and foot chases are always fun. So in short L.A Noire is not your typical game, it makes you think and it does something new, definitely a great buy. Expand
  66. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was very fun to play, it had a great, well written story, having to read the faces and make the right decisions was great fun and put you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, the greatest detective known to xbox.
  67. Nov 2, 2012
    It did take 3 minutes when I discovered "aaaawshit!! thats not GTA 1947!!!" and no it wasnt it was better it was a coldblooded-crimethriller. After playing 1hour I discovered how great game is that. The plot is unforgettable, so exciting and intresting. Motion-Scan technology works perfectly in interviews. Game is very special but good way. That's the game that everyone needs to try. Its still game of 10points ,unless replaying value is zero. Rockstar games know once again whichlike games self-respecting gamers like and there is lots of more examples from Rockstar Games: Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Autos and Max Payne 3 Expand
  68. Nov 5, 2013
    L.A. Noire was one of the best games I have ever played. Map was huge and they made it so realistic. Story was amazing, so in depth. Great experience.
  69. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Grand Theft Auto fan, I came to L.A. Noire expecting something much like GTA but in the past, I was disappointed for about an hour when I found out it was nothing like it, but kept playing, hour after hour, L.A. Noire made its way into my top 10 favorite games of all time, then it quickly became my #1 most favorite game of all time.
    Never did I think such innovation can come from a game in these times, because innovation and originality pretty much all died a long time ago, but this restored my faith.
    This game served me well in every aspect, it was fun, it was lengthy, it had an amazing story, it had good collectible that were actually fun to go around looking for.
    Now, for a 360 game that looks this good, I'm very surprised it didn't lag as much as most other games.
    Lots of other games that don't look as good as L.A. Noire lag like hell, L.A. Noire looks amazing and only lagged 2 times in my full playthrough, they were in MASSIVE shootouts, and the lag went away after 2 seconds the first time, and after 5 seconds the second time.
    Cole Phelps' death was incredibly sad, I literally felt bad when Cole died.
    Overall, this game is amazing, deserves a well earned 10/10.
  70. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the most genuine and innovative games of this generation. Great atmopshere, great story, great gameplay and the facial animation is truly next gen... This is a masterpiece... One of the best games ever...
  71. May 15, 2013
    The story of this game is one of the very best I have seen in a video game. In my opinion it is right up their with Mass Effect. Some of the cases mechanics and actions might feel repetitive, but the story never does. The interrogations are absolutley captivating, and the ending was one of the most unexpected ever. One of the best gaming experiences ever.
  72. Jul 21, 2014
    What truly makes L.A. Noire great is how different it is, not just from Rockstar games, but from games in general. You play as a detective solving murders and other crimes. I love it, it's truly a thinking man's game and requires actual skill.
  73. Sep 18, 2013
    BEST. GAME EVER. I have recently received this game for my birthday, and I have to say, this is one of my favorite games I have ever played. The graphics were beautiful. The cutscenes were amazingly cinematic. Even every case has its own twist whether it be multiple suspects or many different cases. I don't know how anybody could hate this. Even the interviews are flawless. The 360 degree facial recognition acting on the interrogation is perfect. It is like watching somebody in real life giving lies or truth to you. I wish that there was more to do in the game because their aren't any activities to do outside of the cases. Gunplay is perfect and being able to bond with the character is the best I have seen in a game. No other game has been able to cpture my emotion much like this one. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed this game. Anyone who says any different are entitled to their opinion though I do not agree to it. THIS GAME IS AMAZING! Expand
  74. Dec 25, 2013
    Best game of 2011 hands down. It is absolutely stunning graphic wise, and has a gameplay like no other game. This game is almost as unique as heavy rain, which is my favorite game of all time. So many games which are released these days are not innovative and plain boring. This game is the most innovative game of the year and I have fallen in love wiht it. The suspense is incredible, teh interogations and the control that you have as a player over the criminals makes you feel powerful. If you want an innovative, exiting, different and engaging game then you must buy this masterpiece. Anyone who rates this badly simply does not have the emotional capacity to enjoy a masterpiece like this and are too used to playing call of duty to know any better. Expand
  75. TEM
    May 25, 2014
    My favorite video game of all time. The graphics are unrivaled even 4 years later. The city of L.A is bigger and better than ever. The story is top notch and the biggest reason why I love this game. All the characters are compelling and interesting. How the story unravels is an amazing experience each and every time I play.

Sure, the game play outside of investigating and interrogation
    can get dull but it doesn't take away the greatness of it all.

Interrogations are challenging even after multiple plays and can always take a new turn.

Getting a 5 star score after a case is more rewarding to me than anything else ive ever experienced in a video game.

This game is almost played out like a movie which suits me well.

Speaking of movies, if you like this game watch the movie, LA Confidential.
  76. Jun 15, 2014
    One of the best games of all time I think. The story has a lot of deep, hidden meaning and it took me a couple of times to play through to understand it completely. It does have some problems. The cars are too grippy, the combat feels a bit stiff, and the Tommy gun has way too much ammo. But that doesn't take much away from the game. The story and dialogue are the main focus, and it excels in that to movie-like quality. Expand
  77. Oct 29, 2012
    On paper, LA Noire sounds like an open-world sandbox fused with an interactive movie, but in truth, it's so much more. It's groundbreaking, effortlessly engaging and utterly sublime. To miss playing LA Noire would be a heinous crime. Simply put, it's a work of unbridled genius.
  78. May 19, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. The graphics, the story, and the gameplay far surpass many games. Being able to play as the good guy now is a much newer experience compared to all the other GTA games i have played. Many will complain that this game has too much talking, interrogating, and searching for clues, but it does have just enough action to keep people satisfied. The only keeping this from a full ten out of ten, is it's still a lot like GTA 4, RDR, and Mafia 2. I wish something newer could be added to the open world freedom. Expand
  79. May 26, 2011
    I enjoy film noir, so I wasn't a hard sell on this game at all. The clue finding and interrogations were really fun, and the story was well written and engaging. The game is a bit on the easy side, and there is no difficulty setting, but you can toggle off the clue hints and the aim assist, and choose not to use your intuition points. That toughens things up. Although it's linear, the gameplay has a lot of flex to it. You can search out all the collectables or ignore them. You can drive and take in the scenery, or let your partner drive and skip the trip. You can break up the story by responding to street crimes, or not. You can even skip the action sequences entirely, after a couple of tries, if you're not good at driving or shooting. I like that they tried to make a game that would have wide appeal. Casual gamers who aren't good at shooting or driving can still enjoy it. Those who find the detective work too slow paced can respond to the street crime dispatches and shoot it out with perps. People who need a free roaming fix can search out film reels, landmarks, and the many different cars. Sure, some will complain it is too GTA-ish, or not enough. I personally would have enjoyed more (any!) distractions scattered around town, however, the developers have done a good job of balancing the gameplay to suit different gamer preferences and that is no easy task given how finicky some people can be, myself included. But, what's a review without a few irrational complaints: Is it just me or did it seem short considering it filled up three discs? Why do these antique cars handle like crap? And, I wish I could save at any time, so when I screw up an interrogation, I can reload right to the moment before I screwed up, instead of reloading to the last auto-save which means I may have to re-search for a few clues, and listen to some dialog over. I mean, come on here! Expand
  80. JET
    May 22, 2011
    This game is, in the words of Frank West, FANTASTIC! It has one of the best storys seen in games for a while, and the atmospere is simply amazing. The music and voice acting help this. Buy this game!!!
  81. May 29, 2011
    Any game which references Shelley and Hamlet is a-okay in my book. This is an unique experience, and will sure leave many people expecting a GTA in Noir-style or even a Red Dead Redemption-styled game cold. This is a new step in the direction of video-game-to-movie-integration, I saw one commentator say that this is not so, that it is definitely a video-game, and I don't know what that person was talking about; It feels and looks like a movie, where kinetic energy is based more on story and character development rather than action. The game-play is a bit awkward however, and there are minor incongruities in the flow of action when the police captain will yell at you while in the next scene praise you. These are only minor complaints but are also important since the game strives for such heights. In ambition it is definitely a 10, but in execution it is more of an 8, and so the final will have to be 9. I can't comment on the story, since I'm not completely done, but it does a great job of pulling you into, maybe not such a realistic world, as much as an world of Los Angeles 40's noir which thrives on the mystique of LA folklore. Expand
  82. May 17, 2011
    A great game with a good story. The story could use some patching up for continuity, and the gameplay can get a little dull. The main rip against this game is the restriction put on the player. Anyone familiar with GTA/RDR will feel a bit taken aback at what you can't do. However, once you get the typical Rockstar image out of your mind, you're left with a very original, fun, and refreshing experience. It's not perfect, but it is different, and it's definitely fun. Expand
  83. May 18, 2011
    L.A. Noire is another Rockstar victory. If you are a fan of Red Dead Redemption and the Grand Theft Auto series, you will see the influences here. If you have played Mafia II and you liked it, Rockstar much improved on that concept and gameplay feel and expanded it with wide open world maps and outstanding sound and graphics. Marry all of this with a stats system that tracks your game achievements as well as Call of Duty and you will find a very enjoyable complete game. I find that this game is fun to play with another person as well discussing all of the clues and learning interrogation techniques. This game will be up for game of the year for sure. Congratulations Rockstar, thanks for giving us such a great experience and making a game that will take longer than a few hours to complete. Expand
  84. Jun 14, 2011
    A game which changes so much within the video game industry, proving that you don't need to run around shooting everything to make a great game as well as the new facial animations setting the standard for all future games. However, It doesn't feel as action packed or the story as climactic as Red Dead Redemption's and so as a game, it cannot trump it! Eagerly awaiting on a sequel!!!
  85. May 17, 2011
    It can all really be said in about three words: Fun and Fresh. It is definitely fans for an adventure type game, with some nods to the gun-play of Rockstar games before. I love it and, personally, I feel exhilarated when I nail someone with evidence and despair when my witnesses clam up. Yes it may seem repetitive chasing after crooks and collecting clues, but the fun is more in how you use the information to interrogate people. This is one that is at least worth a try, you may be pleasantly surprised (and if you don't like it I'm sure it will hold its value as a trade-in for a while). Expand
  86. May 27, 2012
    What I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it's clearly visible that the creators made a great compilation of the information needed. The game's difficulty is challenging, specially at the interrogatories. / Conclusion: This is the best game I've tried from this company, just incredible, it makes you experiment a direct connection with the main character. Collapse
  87. May 21, 2011
    First of all I'd just like to say that I have played virtually all of the rock star games over the years and have been impressed by everyone so far; L.A Noire is no exception.

O.K so 9/10 why not 10/10? L.A Noire isn't you Red Dead Redemption Or GTA, yes its sort of free roam but not fully however when you have a fantastic story and great acting then that is quickly forgotten.

L.A Noire
    is a charming game graphics wise although now and again the frame rate does have a little bit of a BF ( B***H Fit ) but that is soon forgotten when you are emmeresed into a fantastic storyline.

You play a detective working up the ranks in the police dept in L.A , you are tasked with a case at a time, you get a small mysterious intro with a basic outline of what crime has happened and the you are despatched with your assistant to help you solve the case; along the way you get regular calls for side missions not relating to the main case but these rack up your XP and ranks in the police force.

I rarely buy games on release day 1 but this was an exception and I can say this is a piece of art, the facial scanning allows you to make judgements on whether you trust people or doubt people or think they are downright lying, this can be challenging at times, but that is half the fun!

So looking for a new game? This is the one for you!
  88. May 22, 2011
    This game is very solid. I don't normally go for Rockstar's stuff, because it's usually a mashup of poorly executed gameplay mechanics, but the interrogation system is really good and is a strong enough mechanic to carry the game. The story and acting are both competent. The driving and shooting mechanics are kinda spotty, and a somewhat short campaign that I wouldn't care to replay combine to drop this game to a 9. Expand
  89. Jul 3, 2011
    L.A. Noire is an innovative but flawed title that brings gaming to places it has never been before. The most impressive feature of this game is its amazing facial capture technology, creating realistic faces. Unfortunately other areas of the body are look merely average in comparison. 1940's Los Angeles is stunning recreated, with the attention to detail reminiscent of Red Dead Redemption. The detective work is interesting and clever, allowing the player to piece together the case and give their brain some work to do. Chase sequences both on foot and in your car feel fresh as does the hand to hand fighting. The game does, however, go on too long, with the game often feeling like two or three separate stories in one. There are many instances that could be described as climaxes but the game keeps on going. The game does get repetitive with time but the intriguing cases help keep you interested. While not a classic, L.A. Noire is still an exceptional game that deserve recognition. Expand
  90. May 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire, a game that uses the next best thing( revolutionary facial animation) to create a very dark and violent 1940s detective story. Developed by Rockstar and Team Bondi, L.A.Noire is not to be described as a typical similarity to Red Dead Redemption or GTA. The shooting and camera mechanics are still there, but its a whole new ball game from there. The player is put in the shoes of Detective Cole Phelps, an incorruptible cop bent on finding the killer and putting the person in the gas chamber. He also has a face that makes him look really annoying( he got the cheeks and dimples on the face to back it up), which in real life would cause citizens to roll their eyes when he busts in saying "LAPD guys( with high emphasis on the word "guys") I'm here ask to some questions", but that's a bit off subject.
    Rather than present a shootout on every mission in the game, L.A.Noire relies more on dialogue and clue finding rather than combat to create a riveting and charming game. The player will first start out finding clues from a crime scene and then the meat of the package comes in, the dialogue. As Phelps the player must question witnesses and suspects to find clues and get an answer to the main question( who did it?). This is where the game makes use of the revolutionary facial animation as nearly all the time the suspects or witnesses will likely be holding back particular useful answers. It is up to the player to beat the questions out of the person( verbally) to get the answers he wants. The game uses a 3 button mechanic for the conversations, but is very intuitive and engaging. If you think the person is holding back, doubt them, if you think they're lying, you better back it up with proof or your quest in finding the killer will get much more difficult.
    This is not a game for the action hungry crowd, but rather for the people that want a for once engaging story to play. The pacing of the game is to a certain extent flawed but picks up by the time of the second desk case,but people may lose interest as the game somewhat drags during the middle of the game. L.A.Noire's presentation is best described as game with a late night TV show like charm to it, as each case is presented with a backstory, with the case name popping up on the screen as though it's a new episode. The personal story of Phelps is much to be desired as the game merely focuses on the cases and not the character until the third act, which is the best part as it provides a subtle gameplay twist. The shooting may be a little to easy for experienced gamers but is not a big deal as it is merely there to put a bit of action between the dialogue and give combat and driving sequences with a 1940s charm to it. The music is top notch and is perfectly suitable for the atmosphere. Free roam is there, but restricted as you cannot kill civilians and get those all too familar star warnings, you are a cop after all. Instead they're just used for moving to and discovering locations to advance the story or to show off the admirable architecture of the landmarks of Los Angeles. The game's graphics are a bit more superior on the Playstation 3 but is not a big deal, nor should it be a deal at all. But rather, players should decide which control scheme are they used to when it comes to shooting sequences.
    Overall the game is not for everybody, but for those that want a truly different and original experience instead of typical action heavy games may want to give this game a try. As for me, I was not dissapointed. Just don't expect it to be the game of the year.
  91. Jun 20, 2011
    L.A. Noire shouldn't be confused for a Rockstar game, because it is a Team Bondi game. The concept is something entirely new, and it comes close to Heavy Rain in bringing movies and gaming closer together. Playing as a detective is a lot of fun, and L.A. Noire is probably the best detective game I have ever played. If it wasn't for the music in the background indicating clues, which you can turn off, I felt I was honestly a cop searching for the next lead to solving the case. The story is excellent. Between the flashbacks, the newspapers and the main story, L.A. Noire tells the story not only of Cole Phelps, but of the corruption that plagued L.A at the time, and it all works together quite nicely. The action parts are fun as well, but the detective gameplay really shone though. The best feature of the game is their new technology that allows cameras to capture peoples expressions. It was essential to the interrogation parts I found, and I can't wait to see other games with this new budding technology. The sound, music, voice acting, and real acting for that matter all are perfect in my book. Team Bondi created a beautiful Los Angeles, but I was disappointed in how little to do. Sure, you can search for the film reels, visit landmarks and find newspapers, but not much more than that. The street crimes are repetitive and often times boring. The game was just overall very linear for being an open world game. Aside from that, L.A. Noire offers a lot of fun, and a game that everybody should experience for themselves. Expand
  92. May 27, 2011
    This game is incredible. LA Noire is a unique gaming experience that I hope will pave the way for similarly mature experiences in future games. This is not GTA, though elements of the open world may borrow from it. This is a slow-paced exercise in careful examination and interrogation that takes place in a mostly faithfully recreated 1940s Los Angeles. It is heavily story driven so you will spend a lot of time watching cut-scenes and talking to people. It is basically a stylized take on the popular film noir of the 40s and 50s (think: LA Confidential). If you appreciate the era, the genre, or a good crime drama then you will most likely find a lot of enjoyment in LA Noire. The gameplay is divided into a series of cases and mostly breaks down like this: Explore crime scene and gather clues, interview witnesses, look for more clues at other locations, interview more witnesses, interrogate suspects. This is interspersed with the occasional car chase, foot chase, fist fight, or shootout to break up the pace and add a bit of action. In fact, these events sometimes feel a little forced and were occasionally annoying in their frequency (sometimes it feels like every suspect wants to run from you). I get the opinion that these events were mostly put in to satisfy the gaming crowds that have come to expect heavily action-driven games. But LA Noire doesn't need it because the thrill of being a cop in 1940's LA is enough on its own. This game is obviously geared towards mature gamers, and to those of us that are tired of the endless shooters and mindless kill/blowstuffup games that seem to flood the gaming market. Ultimately, LA Noire is a unique and refreshing gaming experience. It won't satisfy those who are looking for 1940's GTA, but offers a nice change for those looking for a little more from their gaming experiences. Expand
  93. May 18, 2011
    Please note: my score represents the actual quality of the game--great, but not perfect. I've played games better than this one, quite recently.

That said, this game is a quantum leap forward for gaming. It's a bold step that doesn't always work, but it does SOMETHING. The facial animation and blending of open-world and linear, driven gameplay are fantastic and new, and the story it
    tells is excellent for that. Suffice to say--you need to play this game. Expand
  94. May 18, 2011
    Now this is a tough one. I have to admit, my first thoughts was of this game was that it had failed to meet my expectations by a long shot. I found it slow, boring and the shooting mechanics were average at best. But after a while playing this game...none of this mattered. I realised that this wasn't just a GTA clone with detective based missions to tell them apart! This is a new genre in itself. An outstanding work of art that actually makes you use your brain a little if you want to get the best out of it. Rather than spending most of your time running and gunning, you'll be looking around crime scenes and interrogating people trying to find out what really happened in the numerous murders and other scenes you've been sent out to solve. Most people will find this a turn off seeing as this is a game with rockstar labelled on the front of the box, but this is like nothing they have brought out before. The new facial animation technology which they have integrated into the game is creepy, but adds a load of atmosphere into the characters. And obviously as what the trailers have said, one gimmick they are using is that you will be able to use their facial expressions to tell whether they are lying or telling the truth! And I'm glad to say this works. I can see why some people will hate this game as it does have a slow start, But I promise it picks up and I definitely think it's worth a try if you're a fan of noire crime films or even some of the modern classics. Expand
  95. May 30, 2011
    I do worry about Rockstar, thatâ
  96. May 23, 2011
    First of all let me say, this game is not everyone's cup of tea, its marmite, you either love it or hate it, this game is not a rockstar typical genre GTA game, and the phrase "GTA but in the 1940's" does not cut it, you play the other side a cop for a change, now this wont seem glamorous and at times it can be damn right boring, but cop work is, driving from location to location is broken up by emergency calls over the radio which you can choose to ignore, but are quite fun, running up to a crime " and busting some caps" to break the monotony of the actual story or cases is quite entertaining. you can skip driving by letting your partner drive which allows a short loading screen.

The driving is good, holding handbrakes around corners is especially fun in old cars, and flying over downhill bumps is especially fun when you get some good clearance! The crime investigation is good, with some clues there to throw you off, now don't get me wrong, there is alot of junk to be found at crime scenes, but in lies the fun deciding on whether items are relevant or not, Cole ( the main character) will often say things as to whether they pertain to the investigation or not to help you along. initially the interview questions are guided along at the start of the game as a running "tutorial" but this fades out over time, leaving you to make your own decisions on questions.

The facial expressions are some what confusing first off the bat, as they are glaringly obvious, but become more subtle as you move on, for example what might be a blindingly obvious lie at the start of the game, might be a twitch of the mouth in the middle of the game. you will get used to spotting these as you progress. I recommend playing this game with no distractions, or locking your bedroom door if you do, as you need to watch interactions with the characters very closely as a lie or twitch or a scratch of the head (yes a scratch) will not appear twice, and seeing this will mean the difference between getting more detail on the case or suspect and getting the wrong question. Clues and questions all revolve around a chime and music to allow you to find clues, and tell you whether the question you asked was correct, although initially confusing, you will get used to the music, allowing you to know whether you were correct or not.

This game is a great game all in all. If your looking for a criminal shooter a GTA opposite this is not it, if your looking for a gritty, unusual game full of story and character development then this is it. It is not a perfect game, it isn't meant to be, getting a case wrong can leave you wondering what else was there to find, it can leave you wanting to go back and try another approach but this is what is interesting about the game, leaving you sensing that you could of caught that criminal if you'd have pushed that bit harder or complete opposite, if you'd have tried a softer approach with the woman, would she have given it up to you. This game really puts you in the shoes of a detective.
  97. May 24, 2011
    If you are someone that enjoys previous entries by companies like Quantic Dream you will more than likely enjoy L.A. Noire. If you are simply expecting the next Red Dead or GTA then this style of game play probably is not for you and you should give it a rent first to test the waters. I personally love the game. It has a great gritty feel and really pulls you in to the story. The cast and voice acting is great along with the dream sequences that flesh out your characters story. The city of L.A. looks and sounds amazing, one of my all time favorite game to date. Expand
  98. May 17, 2011
    Just to let you know I have been a fan of Rockstar since very earlier on, but that does not weigh in to or bias my review. I am not judging those that have mixed or negative reviews, however, they must not have looked into where the developers were taking this game or what this game is trying to do. I have played this game several hours, and so far really enjoy it. At some points there have been frame rate issues but those have been very minor. The story, environment, and style of game play are engrossing, but I do give fair warning for those of you who really enjoyed the GTA free-roam style games & story more so than Red Dead's more rigid storyline will not enjoy the less free roam more-fixed aspects of this game. L.A. Noire focuses more (this is going to sound like a developer comment) the player's ability to read the people of interests' faces to make judgement calls and enveloped themselves within the stylized environments of 1940s Los Angeles. Free-Roam aspects are there, but this story relies more on the crime drama elements and visual aspects to make it a great game. The story itself is a more visceral and cerebral experience in gaming, and that is Rockstar's goal. This is not like Grand Theft and Red Dead in the sense that the story is darker, less comical and much more adult. Therefore, if you are looking for a game that is more dicking around than serious L.A. Noire is not the game to buy, it still has some of those elements, but this is a much more mature game from Rockstar. Hope this helps if you are on the fence about buying it. It is a fantastic game. The face capture technology is amazing and the visual "feel" to the game itself is terrific, but it is not the game for everyone, nor the game for every Rockstar fan, eventhough I personally love it. Expand
  99. May 18, 2011
    Solid game play. Best game out now. If you only could play 5 games this year, this should be one of them. Must love it. The story, the graphic and the acting.
  100. May 27, 2012

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]