8.5

1. Aug 23, 2010
    This game brings back the core of what Laura Croft was always about. High Adventure and LOTS of fun. Crystal Dynamics have brought Laura back with a vengeance. Outstanding!
  2. Aug 19, 2010
    Lara Croft is finally back where she deserves too be, in a great game. Guardian of Light might be a new direction for Miss Croft but she sure seems to enjoy, cunning puzzles, numerous enemies and some really nice detailed environments, oh and there is also a 40ft fire breathing dinosaur. It just goes to prove that you dont need high rendered graphics to make a great game these days. Check the Croft out. Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2010
    Not very often do you find a game like this as a downloadable title. Between the exploring, length, and the lasting appeal, this is worth every penny of the $15 you spend. I personally spent almost 30 minutes on each every just exploring. For those who like to find absolutely everything, you'll see yourself playing the game more than just once. Hopefully, this will be supported strongly with the 5 planned updates without a long time in-between releases to keep people busy. The reason this fell short of a 10 was because of the cheesy dialogue, and some gameplay mechanics that I had some problems with. I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a cheap, good time. Expand
  4. Aug 31, 2010
    I am really surprised they made this downloadable. For the price it's a steal. Great graphics, music, story, and overall it's Lara Frickin' Croft, back in action. Highly recommended.
  5. Sep 17, 2010
    This game is very good, the best game that has came out of 'Summer of Arcade', The game is very unique. The fixed camera, birds eye view type look on the game and the shooting system blend very well together. With small mini tasks using grapples and many other tools in your arsenal. The games co-op is very well built taking advantage of each characters strengths and weakness. For example Laura's jumping ability and Totec carries spears which Laura jumps on. Overall the game is very good and shows potential for a squeal. Expand
  6. Aug 21, 2010
    Who would have thought that there's be a great, inexpensive Lara Croft game after the series of craptastic releases over the last 7 years or so? This is just a great time.
  7. Aug 21, 2010
    Lara Croft GoL is the best game that crystal dynamics have ever made ... i'm glad i bought it , i wasn't sure because of the isometric view , if your a bit scared to get it then DONT BE because it is the best game EVER :D 10/10 !!
  8. Aug 29, 2010
    She's still hot, the puzzles and graphics and music are still super good, the plot is good, the weapons are fun... it's pretty much all you could ask for with a Lara Croft game. Really cool sort-of-bosses and epic battles. A little on the easy side, which is the only drawback.
  9. Oct 17, 2010
    Just completed the game and had a tremendous amount of fun playing it. I was initially skeptical of the isometric viewpoint implemented in "Guardian of Light", but as soon as the game got going those fears were quashed. The game controls tightly, and the puzzles are presented here as not momentum-killing storyline obstacles, but rather reward missions undertaken at the player's discretion, unlike previous games where one would constantly find progression halted by increasingly exasperating mindf**ks. The graphics are top-notch throughout, with a ton of verticality; you'll find yourself pausing occasionally to marvel at an area far-below that you cleared a half-hour earlier. The challenge spikes some towards the end, as you'd expect, but it's not a deal-breaking amount. It's a great downloadable title. For $15 you'd be hard-pressed to find as fun a game. Expand
  10. Dec 5, 2010
    Launch issues aside and despite having little to do with the Tomb Raider universe itself aside from borrowing the main character, Lara Croft, this game ranks in the top-5 best XBLA titles ever made alongside other greats such as Shadow Complex, Limbo and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Essentially, the game features a fixed isometric camera angle as you explore dungeons, caves and jungles in single player or two-player cooperative mode. The gameplay is a mix between twin-stick shooting action, platforming and physical puzzle solving, such as trying to get both your players across a pit, navigating a bolder through spike traps and others. The closest comparisons are the older Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games, but instead of RPG elements and swords you get guns and more refined platform/puzzle solving elements. Additionally, each level contains mini-challenges such as collecting a certain amount of red skulls, completing sections under a given time limit or destroying x number of items. By completing these challenges you're rewarded with new items, health, ammo and ability upgrades. In all, this is an incredibly great game that's enjoyable both as a single-player and co-op experience and features a long campaign, plenty of bells and whistles and a nice leaderboard that all combine to provide a lot of replay value. The only downside is the game can be kind of glitchy at times, but even those moments can be pretty hilarious if playing with a buddy. In all, stop reading this and go at least try out the demo! Collapse
  11. Oct 24, 2010
    I for one loved Legend and Underworld and before this game came out, I was really worried that it was going to be a second rate Tomb Raider game. Those feelings quickly passed when I started playing the game. I haven't played a game with a "top down" view in a while. This game was a ton of fun! Great action with all the puzzles that you would expect from a Lara Croft, Tomb Raider game. The variety of weapons and power ups that you can use was also impressive. Not only did I play this in single player but it was really fun to co-op and play it with my wife! Yes, my wife! LOL! She really liked it too. It was nice to play a game that had co-op that you could play together on the same console and not just on-line. For a DLC game, this was awesome. The graphics were good, the controls were tight, and the sound was great. The only thing lacking a bit was the story. Overall, this is a very fun game to pick up and play. Expand
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    It's just outstanding in every way. I was bored and spent part of the summer playing this. I don't see any problems with this game. The storyline is immerse. There's plenty of levels. Nice job, Crystal Dynamics!
  13. Aug 21, 2010
    Very inventive co-op play. Laura and Totec are not simply different skins; the manner in which players use character's skills in each room lends itself to one of the most "cooperative" games ever. It is also quite lengthy on a first playthrough (I was very far from beating many of the time trial unlockables!). However, there some major problems with the game: the isometric view sometimes makes it difficult to tell exactly where a floating power-up is, too many side-rooms rely on inventive uses of Laura's grappling hook (and only rarely Totec's spear or shield ability), combat is generally unsatisfying, and the story elements of the game have as much subtlety as a Saturday morning cartoon (Totec's voice really does sound like a staple cartoon voice actor). Additionally, some puzzles are just annoying, even after you've found out what to do. One puzzle in particular requires split-second reflexes from both players... After at least twenty attempts, it was a frustrating experience, to say the least. Overall: If you have someone to play through this game with and like the idea of a dungeon crawler with intense puzzles, this game is excellent and easily the best arcade game this summer. Expand
  14. Sep 28, 2010
    The graphics are pretty average. Gameplay occasionally has some interesting puzzles but most of them are basically "go here, pull the lever, watch the camera pan over to a door and run through quickly" there are a few nice tense moments but overall can get a bit repetitive especially as its been done so much before. I actually felt like I played this game before the way I steamed through it because every puzzle I have done in some form or other before. The story isnt anything special and the voice acting is pretty poor. The sound design is also pretty generic and doesnt really stand out much.

This game is far from a 10 on originality alone but the fact there is still no on line co op 2 months after it came out is a big loser for me. I may come back and bump the score up a little higher when they finally update the multiplayer co op to be online because its not something I have experienced as I live out of town and generally out of convenience it is me visiting my mates rather than them coming all the way out to me where theres no pubs and clubs and the average age of the women is about 72. Its quite hard to tempt them round to play some split screen XBLA reboot title of a previouslyl dried up franchise which I would have to say to them "may or may not be good I havnt played it with anyone yet" Until I experience more than half the game its not going to get more than half the score. This 3 is out of 5 for the singleplayer. When they finally release the multiplayer online and the dlc Ive heard about then I may come back and rate it higher if Im not playing RUSE or Halo or FIFA or something too much.
  15. Sep 14, 2010
    Lara is back and kicking some serious butt. Excellent puzzles, excellent action, exellent everything. This is pure tomb raider. If you are a fan of the series, this addition is essential.
  16. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is in a similar vein to baldurs gate on the PS2 and other top down co-op dungeon crawlers, the puzzles aren't to taxing, though there are some extra challenge tombs to mix things up for extra powers, the gameplay is most enjoyable in co-op, in fact this game should only be played co-op, it is an experience meant to be shared. If you've got a good friend to come and play it at your house or over xbox live then I recommend egtting this game. Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2014
    The game kicks off by giving you a history lesson from the overtly and borderline offensively English Lara Croft talking about old relics and typical Tomb Raider type things, this is where you find out about the “Mirror of Smoke” which she has been hunting. This introduction sets you up nicely thinking that you are going to start off trying to find a cool relic with mystical powers; I **** you not as soon as she has finished describing it she starts the very next sentence with “I finally found it!”. What the hell!! Don’t set me up for an adventure and then snatch it away from me, not cool guys!! Along this process of pictures and sound (I refuse to call it a cut scene but I’ll get into that more later) you are introduced to a warlord named Vasco, he snatches the Mirror of Smoke and unleashes all manner of literal hell as an ancient battle that was frozen in time breaks out around the group. It is then you are also introduced to Totec, the other protagonist of this little adventure. I hope this isn’t just me but his voice bugged the hell out of me, not because it was annoying but because it sounds so familiar, it really pissed me off that I couldn’t figure out!

Now it’s your time to take control as your thrown into the action and told to use some of Lara’s bombs to solve a simple little puzzle, I’m not too proud to admit that I failed at this as I didn’t pay attention to the instructions and I ended up just jumping around the room until I pulled my head out of my arse and figured out what needed to be done. Remember in the description when it said that the visuals were shown through an “isometric view”? Well, welcome to the real world son! Isometric view is the technical term for birds eye view which essentially means that you spend the gameplay looking down on Lara and Totec like some form of, well, bird I suppose! I don’t normally go for that sort of thing but in this case it actually works out quite nicely and the angles don’t get in the way which is always my biggest gripe with fixed camera angles. The gameplay itself is actually pretty good, its a simple case of move the right analogue stick to aim and pull the right trigger to unleash the sweet kiss of death from the trademark pistols. They may have taken Lara Croft and stripped literally everything Tomb Raider from her but at least they had the dignity to leave her with infinite ammo in the pistols!

As this is technically a platform it means that there is a scoring system for each level and so the levels there is glittery **** strewn Lara Croft GOL 6all over the place; sometimes they appear when you break an item or kill an enemy, sometimes there just there for the sake of being there. They aren’t actually mentioned during the game and it is never actually explained what they are but subject to video game law; anything that glistens is important and therefore must be collected immediately! Pretty quickly into the game you are given a chance to play around and experiment with some of the techniques your going to be using a lot through the game, whether they be using the grappling hook to get across large gaps of using your magical golden spear as a stepping stone to reach higher places. Oh and also, you get given a magical golden spear which in all honesty is pretty damned cool! The next mandatory item in the play book of the platform game is collectables; there are a few different collectable in the Guardian of Light world and they are actually serve a purpose as you use them to upgrade your powers and weapons and stuff like that.

The storyline itself is a fairly basic one and it’s decent enough but what they have done very well is to break up the gameplay in 2 ways. Firstly, on every level you are given a couple of level specific challenges that allow you to unlock extra relics and power ups. They have also scattered Challenge Tombs in each level, these challenge tombs involve using the skills that you’ve learned along the way and if you get it right not only do you get to survive but you also get a few extra goodies, ya lucky thing you!
  18. Dec 5, 2010

1. Oct 22, 2010
    But collecting stuff is what Lara Croft does. And when it looks and plays as well as this, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had.
  2. It's the co-op multiplayer that really allows Guardian of Light to shine. [Issue#100, p.136]
  3. This has to be one of my favorite downloadable games to date. With great game play, great co-op, tons of collectibles and a great price, you can't go wrong with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.