8.0

1. Sep 1, 2010
    I purchased LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 so that my girlfriend and I could have a game we could play together and both enjoy. Frankly, I didn't have high expectations and assumed that a quick play through would be the end of it. In retrospect I should have known better. My girlfriend and I are both mild fans of the Harry Potter movies and the game has been a fun revisit to the world of Hogwarts and cliche wizardry. Combine this with the solid mechanics, multiple un-lockable character and mods as well a very solid sense of progression and you have a recipe for temporary addiction.

This is the first LEGO game that I have put any amount of time into and have been thrilled with the experience. The game play is smooth and compelling with a myriad of trials and goals built into every level. Beyond finishing a level and beating a rather predictable boss, the developers have encouraged exploration of the authentic Hogwarts environment by placing pieces of hidden shield crest and the option to rescue students in peril. Along with collecting enough LEGO studs to earn a True Wizard title by level these options can extend the game's enjoyment beyond the main story line.

Harry Potter is thoroughly a children's game that has significant appeal for adults and teens. I have been annoyed by the cut scenes which seem to be interpretable by only those who are very familiar with the story progression. If you are not familiar with the LEGO series the in game characters do not speak but instead make japanimation side-kick noises and use body language to communicate. It can be very annoying. Unlike other reviews I disagree that the cut scenes could be considered funny by anyone over the age of 8. Another issue I took with the game on the XBOX 360 system is that many of the achievements can only be unlocked in single player mode. If you have the intention of playing this game primarily with someone else you will be required to replay the campaign in single player mode to unlock basic progression achievements. With so much game content to explore beyond the main storyline this may not be too great of a deterrent, but I haven't loved the game enough to play it all the way through a second time on single player.

I don't want to sell the overall experience short. I have had a great time playing LEGO Harry Potter and I look forward to finishing the game tonight. It has maintained its authenticity with the movies (I cannot speak to the books) and created a fun environment which has been a great respite from shooters and more purely puzzle games. I would have ranked the game higher if there had been more challenging segments and more interesting boss fights. Otherwise an excellent game that you should at least pick up a used copy of.
  2. Sep 20, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My brother and I are ages 21 and 19 respectively, and we have beat LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 on the Xbox 360. After we beat Indy 2 we were pretty excited for the release of Harry Potter. Harry Potter brings back the notably improved engine that Indy 2 introduced, as well as the innovative moving split screen. Harry Potter is a HUGE game, and you will be spending plenty of time in each level and area of Hogwarts in order to get 100% in the game. It's my favorite LEGO game that's been released so far and I can't wait for years 5-7. There's an incredibly fun bonus level at the end of the game which takes place in 1981, the night Harry's parents were killed. You play as Voldemort and Peter Pettigrew running around London destroying everything in your path (including murdering muggles!) buy the game, don't rent it. You'll need the time to get 100%. The game is fun and the achievements are awesome (scare x amount of students as a ghost!) Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2011
    LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is easily the best lego title so far,is a game for all ages has very good graphics and gameplay is also very funny,offering many moments of laughter the only drawback it has is that in some places is very easy!!!!!!
  4. Jun 17, 2011
    Fantastic game, for all ages. This game successfully blends Harry Potter and Lego's into a fantastic, fun, and addicting game. This is by far the best Lego video game, as well as the best Harry Potter video game. As a fan of the series, it is awesome to be able to explore Hogwarts and Diagon Alley. This is a fantastic, well made game.
  5. Jul 2, 2011
    Extensive content and easy to play. Perfect for any Harry Potter fan who needs a quick fix before the last film is released in theaters. I look forward to Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7.
  6. Jan 16, 2013
    The best Lego title since the original. The Castle Over world is incredible and the game plays great. The charm is all there and the bonus level is the greatest I've ever gotten to play in any Lego title. This is truly a magical experience and a fantastic experience to play.

1. Jan 18, 2011
    LEGO-Harry Potter Years 1-4 is an amazing game that takes you down the memory lane and an effective timepass agent between major releases.
  2. Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 is a fantastic game, offering many great hours of game play.
  3. If you're a Harry Potter fan, a Lego fan, or just looking for a fun pick up and play game, do yourself a favor and check it out.