7.6

1. Nov 10, 2013
    I can't say I enjoyed this game that much. The adding of voice over killed a lot of the charm of past Lego games to me. I understood that it would have been hard to tell the story without them because it was not linked directly to a movie, but for some reason it through me off. The core game play just felt a bit stale as I was playing through it also. It was not bad, but it really was notI can't say I enjoyed this game that much. The adding of voice over killed a lot of the charm of past Lego games to me. I understood that it would have been hard to tell the story without them because it was not linked directly to a movie, but for some reason it through me off. The core game play just felt a bit stale as I was playing through it also. It was not bad, but it really was not anything special either. I have to give it a 5 out of 5. Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    I have been waiting for TT to do Marvel for a while but now that it's here I'm really disappointed. They did a great job of creating the characters, powers and city but everything else breaks down quick. Marvel is yet another Lego game where the hub is where all your time is spent.

TT has lost focus on what made Lego games so fun. The early games you could play with a kid and just have fun and still beat the game. The latest Lego games, including Marvel, are designed for twitch players. The focus is all about beating tight time constraints using controls that are lackluster at best. No child would be able to pull this off without a lot of practice. Yet the vast majority of the game you're going to spend racing the clock for this crappy side mission or that one. TT, focus on the story and less on the filler material you seem to be creating these days!!!

The vehicle controls for land are finally somewhat ok but the flying vehicles and characters are beyond abysmal. TT seems to think that they know how to control a character better than we do so they implemented one of the stupidest systems I've ever seen in a game - context sensitive controls that are anything but. For example you start out flying at a reasonable speed but if you keep flying straight you'll speed up to a point where turning in a tight circle can be difficult without slowing down. Problem is if you stop your forward momentum you stop in your tracks. If you try to turn slightly you'll be making a big circle. Vertical controls are iffy at best so forget about altitude control in close intervals. Yet almost every race has you doing exactly that. It is a complete and utter frustration for every flying race (and there are lots of them).

If TT wants to keep the Lego series alive they need to go back to formula, reduce or drop the over dependence on hub levels and stick with writing larger stories. They also need to get rid of the poor controls, boring side missions and loads and loads of races. Legos are supposed to be fun but newer games are nothing but short, good stories covered in a big Lego playground that is anything but.
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is tremendously enjoyable. It’s overflowing with charm and humour, energised by the sheer amount of love shown for the Marvel universe and the class with which it has been put together.
  4. Feb 3, 2014
    Really really liked this game. It's really addictive and a lot of fun. It would definitely deserve a 9 BUT if freezes a LOT!!! Around the 40% completion mark in the open world it froze all the time. I had to fast travel to main missions to finish game which I didn't want to do as I enjoyed the open world more than the story missions! Really disappointing. This is the 2nd game in asReally really liked this game. It's really addictive and a lot of fun. It would definitely deserve a 9 BUT if freezes a LOT!!! Around the 40% completion mark in the open world it froze all the time. I had to fast travel to main missions to finish game which I didn't want to do as I enjoyed the open world more than the story missions! Really disappointing. This is the 2nd game in as many months (batman) that hasn't worked property and I haven't been able to play the way I wanted. Batman was worse tho!!!! Expand
  5. Dec 30, 2013
    This is one of my least favorite Lego games for two reasons. The flying mechanics are the worst of any Lego game ever and there is way to much character chatter that is not in the spirit of Lego games. The Batman 2 game did an excellent job of getting the humour of Lego games of the past but this one went too far. I usually 100% Lego games but this one got tedious near the end and IThis is one of my least favorite Lego games for two reasons. The flying mechanics are the worst of any Lego game ever and there is way to much character chatter that is not in the spirit of Lego games. The Batman 2 game did an excellent job of getting the humour of Lego games of the past but this one went too far. I usually 100% Lego games but this one got tedious near the end and I just had to walk away. This is the first time I have stopped having fun and it is mainly because of the flying and the mind control missions. Stan Lee was a great addition and I did have fun collecting the characters but overall this game was not quite up to Lego's usual excellent standards. I hope the next game is better as it sounds like it might be. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2014
    LEGO Marvel Super Heroes makes great use of the Marvel license featuring an endless array of characters, each with their own set of skills and abilities. If you've played any of the LEGO games from the last decade or so however you'll be instantly familiar with the games structure and it is disappointing that the developers have not even tried to mix things up.

Younger gamers and Marvel

Younger gamers and Marvel fans will likely find there is at least some enjoyment to be had here, especially if playing the game in co-op mode, but I couldn't help I'd seen everything it had to offer plenty of times before.
  7. Jun 25, 2014
    While it is a lot of fun for a few weeks, the DLC expansions essentially make this a zero-payoff game. No ending to speak of, very repetitive sandbox side quests, etc.

I get that the Marvel Universe is massive, likely too big to fit into any single game, but after weeks of busting my hump I'd expected at least an ending or some replay content. Great first-time around, then totally

Great first-time around, then totally devoid of value.

1. Dec 25, 2013
    A heroic addition to the series. [Jan 2014, p.82]
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    The game playfully prods at the ridiculousness that is superhero culture, but it does so in a respectful and knowing way. [Issue#142, p.106]
  3. Dec 16, 2013
    LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is easy to recommend to both casual and dedicated comics fans. It sticks pretty close to the time-tested formula for LEGO games, and I'm sure that most fans of the series wouldn't want it any other way.