6.6

1. Feb 11, 2014
    I beleive people are making this game seem a lot worse than it is, people are giving this 1's and 0's! No game is worth a zero unless it is completely unplayable. And this game isn't. This has an incredible new combat system that is extremely customisable, and is really fun. The story is told the way its supposed to, Lightning is supposed to save souls, and thats what she does, their is noI beleive people are making this game seem a lot worse than it is, people are giving this 1's and 0's! No game is worth a zero unless it is completely unplayable. And this game isn't. This has an incredible new combat system that is extremely customisable, and is really fun. The story is told the way its supposed to, Lightning is supposed to save souls, and thats what she does, their is no other part of the story to it.I know lightning isn't the most likable character in the world but she is becoming a god basically in this game. And the people who made this understood that in all cultures gods don't have emotion. But most fof the other characters in this game are pretty likable. The open world is fantastic! I mean how many other games can you make a certain type of monster species go instinct, there is so much stuff to do in this game that are behind the scenes. I believe this game is a great way to close a fantastic triology in the Final Fantasy series. Expand
  2. Feb 12, 2014
    Lightning Returns improves upon everything its predecessors brought to the table tenfold. Having the same feel as the previous two games but improving upon the battle system, exploration, and customization are only some of many multitudes of improvements found in Lightning Returns. Another big feature is the timed mechanic not unlike those found in Deadrising and Majora's Mask, which makesLightning Returns improves upon everything its predecessors brought to the table tenfold. Having the same feel as the previous two games but improving upon the battle system, exploration, and customization are only some of many multitudes of improvements found in Lightning Returns. Another big feature is the timed mechanic not unlike those found in Deadrising and Majora's Mask, which makes the game more hectic and fast paced. All in all it is a terrific game that get's an incredibly high recommendation. Expand
  3. Mar 3, 2014
    One of the best battle systems that square has made, the worst story that Square has ever made, seems to be just like FFX-2, great battles, crap story.
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't give a behemoth's bare backside if it's been mentioned before. I'm going to say it again. Why is there a time limit in an open world RPG?? That time limit killed ANY and all fun I could have gleaned from the game. I respectfully disagree with the previous reviewer. A game deserves a 0 if the person who spent their hard earned money on it found it to be a pile of steamingI don't give a behemoth's bare backside if it's been mentioned before. I'm going to say it again. Why is there a time limit in an open world RPG?? That time limit killed ANY and all fun I could have gleaned from the game. I respectfully disagree with the previous reviewer. A game deserves a 0 if the person who spent their hard earned money on it found it to be a pile of steaming summer harbor trash for whatever reason. Only reason I gave this thing a 1 is because Lightning is pretty hot (despite the fact that she weighs about 22 pounds). Expand
  5. May 16, 2014
    When I bought this I genuinely expected this to be terrible based on other reviews , but from playing it myself I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The time element isn't as restrictive as people think at all , the graphics are gorgeous , the world is vast and beautiful and the gameplay is epic. Once you stop listening to reviews and stop comparing it to older FFs and The previous 2 gamesWhen I bought this I genuinely expected this to be terrible based on other reviews , but from playing it myself I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The time element isn't as restrictive as people think at all , the graphics are gorgeous , the world is vast and beautiful and the gameplay is epic. Once you stop listening to reviews and stop comparing it to older FFs and The previous 2 games , there's some serious fun to be had. It's not perfect but no FF ever was not even 6 and 7. People should definitely focus on the positive when it comes to this series rather than over exaggerating every little fault. Perfect end to an entertaining Trilogy. Expand
  6. May 29, 2014
    I can't believe how much fun I had with this game. The battlesystem is really good and challenging, the visuals are nice, but can be ugly as well at some parts. And there is a **** of content. Character are meh this time around. Even Caius, one of the best villains in every Final Fantasy isn't that good. The story is now hitting **** but can be understand after reading into the lore, II can't believe how much fun I had with this game. The battlesystem is really good and challenging, the visuals are nice, but can be ugly as well at some parts. And there is a **** of content. Character are meh this time around. Even Caius, one of the best villains in every Final Fantasy isn't that good. The story is now hitting **** but can be understand after reading into the lore, I said can not will.
    Overall, the gameplay is fun, but story and characters dissapointing. For me I had **** of fun, but I have to give it a fair score for it's flaws. 7/10
  7. Jul 17, 2014
    They changed a little the Battle System, and it became really good, but the game has a lot of boring empty routes, which you have to walk through. Most of the times the game miss in action and the gameplay is really confusing.
  8. Dec 7, 2014
    "Pitch Perfect" 10 out of 10. Great RPG. Lightning finally smiles genuinely again! Why the bad reviews? Pretty impressed with my first Final Fantasy game, so now I am obligated to play XIII and XIII-2. STOP HATING YOU **** HATERS. Keep it up Square Enix.
  9. Feb 27, 2014
    Such a wasted opportunity. I've been looking forward to a new RPG to play from SE, even after the mediocre FF13 and sequel. And it could have been good. BUT:
    No xp for fights - why bother, apart from MMO style collect quests.
    No xp for fights - why bother, apart from MMO style collect quests.
    Time limit... in an RPG? WHY? Other reviewers say 'oh its good, it makes you strategise and plan'. But being 'made' to play a certain way is awful. Sure some people play that way anyway, and this game is for them. But many play rpgs to relax, explore, delve deep into stories and side quests.
    Not knowing rewards before doing a quest, kind of like a blind sphere grid.
    Lastly, being reminded of said time limit constantly, 'sense of urgency' you say? Fun-killing anxiety rather

Whoever put the time limit in should not be allowed near games, never mind RPGs. Stop ruining FF. Ugh.

Maybe Mistwalker will make a sequel to Lost Odyssey... I give up on Square
  10. Apr 30, 2014
    This game is awesome, and one of the best game play in the series , its easy to manage time, its not lot of fun in the beginning but later it become really fun the story was awesome , good way to finsh the series and i hope they make a remake of this in pc,

10/10 i recommend this game
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    The pressure of having a deducting time system bearing down on on open world RPG is just stressful, things are going to be rushed if youre not careful.

The stagger system is good but for such a limited amount of ATB on the gauge you can hardly reach stagger points on certain enemies (such as the Gertrudes!!) and the battle just drags on and on until by chance you get a stagger and then have to change schemata to wail into the enemy. And as for the guard thing? That's **** annoying!! specifically when you know you have pressed it on time and you still get knocked on your ass

Aside from all that I give the game a 5 out of 10.
  12. Feb 22, 2014
    I enjoyed FF13, the story was good and the combat was decent, but everything has went downhill since the first entry to this series. I gave Lightning Returns an honest try, but the story was just terrible. They completely abandon everything that has happened so far to make Lightning the savior of a previously unmentioned god? And you have to save souls which make a tree grow which somehowI enjoyed FF13, the story was good and the combat was decent, but everything has went downhill since the first entry to this series. I gave Lightning Returns an honest try, but the story was just terrible. They completely abandon everything that has happened so far to make Lightning the savior of a previously unmentioned god? And you have to save souls which make a tree grow which somehow extends the amount of time you have? Whatever, I could just ignore the story if the gameplay was good, but that is not the case. The combat is too simplified and stale, which has been the case with the other entries in the series, but at least they had a decent story and more than one character you could control. This game just isn't worth your time, just wait for the FFX remaster, or FFXV to come out. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    This game is a metaphor for everything that is wrong with society. Flashy text and data all over the screen any time anything happens. Over importance on clothing and presentation. Being constantly told to go here, do that, help this person, visit this place. It's one thing to be given an objective, it's another thing entirely to have a character in your ear constantly wittering away, IThis game is a metaphor for everything that is wrong with society. Flashy text and data all over the screen any time anything happens. Over importance on clothing and presentation. Being constantly told to go here, do that, help this person, visit this place. It's one thing to be given an objective, it's another thing entirely to have a character in your ear constantly wittering away, I just want to know when will Hope shut the hell up?? being given a ton of stuff, but having no time in which to do it.
    By the way Square-Enix this is a final fantasy game, what in the hell is up with no experience from fights??
    They've taken my favourite character and twisted her personality so she is nothing like she was originally. I can't believe I paid full price for this garbage. Square-Enix have lost a customer. I will never buy one of their games brand new at full price again.
  14. Mar 15, 2014
    The characters of this game could be better but there is still a lot to like about this game. The battle system is the best in the series with a lot of depth put into it. The environments are good and the plot is fairly interesting as well
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    A fantastic game that brings a great trilogy to a close. Don't understand why it gets so much hate the story is excellent as is the game play a must play.
  16. Jun 19, 2014
    +Amazing Battle System
    +Beautiful Soundtrack
    +Interesting Story
    +Fun Exploration

-Graphics are a little unpolished at times
    -Couple of Framerate Dips
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    I would say that this ff13 game has the best combat out of the trilogy. The world is vibrant and has a sense of urgency. I am rating this game based on the fun factor and seeing people give this game 0's and 1's is sickening.
  18. Feb 20, 2014
    While I totally agree FFXIII was a terrible game, it also appears this game is being unfairly judged in it's wake. The storyline and voice acting is mediocre at best, but the game play is excellent. After completing my first play through the time issue seems intimidating but I assure you its not. Obsessing with freezing the clock through in game abilities only added unneeded stress as IWhile I totally agree FFXIII was a terrible game, it also appears this game is being unfairly judged in it's wake. The storyline and voice acting is mediocre at best, but the game play is excellent. After completing my first play through the time issue seems intimidating but I assure you its not. Obsessing with freezing the clock through in game abilities only added unneeded stress as I completed the majority of the game by day 6 of 13 or 14 depending on how many side quests you do. There is more than enough time. Play the demo and if you like it ignore the games low rating. You won't regret it. Expand
  19. Feb 15, 2014
    this game failed me..and whose idea to put time limit in rpg game while you can explore the open world? no sense at all and waste of money. 1/10 just for you.
  20. Feb 12, 2014
    First off, good things: The combat system (a mix of three personally created classes with your own attacks that you can switch between at any time in-battle) is fun, fast-paced, and keeps you on your toes. Lots of customization as far as outfits go, colors and garments and a depth to outfits never seen before in a FF-related title. The music is fantastic as well. You can also just jumpFirst off, good things: The combat system (a mix of three personally created classes with your own attacks that you can switch between at any time in-battle) is fun, fast-paced, and keeps you on your toes. Lots of customization as far as outfits go, colors and garments and a depth to outfits never seen before in a FF-related title. The music is fantastic as well. You can also just jump wherever you feel like around the maps, even though you'll wind up wasting time trying to step-ladder up over a wall using crates or what-have-you, which leads to the bad...

being the massively constricting time-system. It gives you 13 in-game days to beat the game, and while doing side-quests and the main story missions can increase your days and the time you have, it still feels incredibly limiting. On the plus side, if you fail, you can just start over with a new game and have all of your things there. Still, the added time-constraint is something that just never should have been put in the game, I don't like feeling pressured. Story is as (un)believable as the last two, but if you've played both of them, there's no reason you'll be turned off from this entry! You made it this far, you're not repelled by it. If you're one of those that didn't like the previous two games--don't even look at it. What are you even doing here? To the others--go rent it, have fun!
  21. Feb 17, 2014
    i love FF games, i've played so many, and beaten so many, unlike most, my favorite is still FF8. this game has so much promise and so much possibilities, but there is an attempt at a forced connection with people in this game, but i don't want these connections. the only reason for my 6 is the visuals and the style, the gameplay is a 0, the plot is a 0, but they forgot what made FF gamesi love FF games, i've played so many, and beaten so many, unlike most, my favorite is still FF8. this game has so much promise and so much possibilities, but there is an attempt at a forced connection with people in this game, but i don't want these connections. the only reason for my 6 is the visuals and the style, the gameplay is a 0, the plot is a 0, but they forgot what made FF games so great, the story and the characters, and the gameplay.
    i'm not buying another FF game until they can at least hire a writer that knows how to create a compelling story.
  22. Apr 2, 2014
    I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. I have played all of the games and I think they still didn't fix the problems of FF13 from this. The horrible turn based combat, linear world and total lack of fun things to do ruin the series reputation. I love the turn based combat in all of the other Final Fantasies, but this one has the worst. Battles are boring and take forever to finish. Final Fantasy 12I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. I have played all of the games and I think they still didn't fix the problems of FF13 from this. The horrible turn based combat, linear world and total lack of fun things to do ruin the series reputation. I love the turn based combat in all of the other Final Fantasies, but this one has the worst. Battles are boring and take forever to finish. Final Fantasy 12 has the best combat system and the most open world of all of them. Why didn't they do something like that with this series or something like the PS1 Final Fantasies combat systems and world maps? Expand
  23. Feb 26, 2014
    This game did a lot of things right by listening to complaints about previous games while innovating on the systems in place in this 3-game series.

The combat has quick pacing and a challenging, but fair difficulty. Selecting new actions and switching between setups has a seamless and snappy feel to it. The enemies all have different weaknesses, which adds more strategy than your typical button-mashing ARPG.

The story is compelling and interesting. If it has a fault, it is that you need to be pretty familiar with the series to know all of the layers. But the Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology is coherent. The characters have mostly become darker over the span of the series, which actually makes an interesting and relatable character out of someone as annoying as Snow. To cap it all off, the player is free to complete the main story segments in any order they choose, which is a valuable design decision in a time when gamers devour anything that is open world.

If the game has some significant flaws, it's in the music and visuals. This last entry in the series was clearly rushed and does not have the visual quality of the first two. There are some weak textures and very few pre-rendered scenes. The music also appears to be mostly recycled from the previous games. In short, the gameplay is fantastic, but it looks like it could have used some more polish time. Still, it is passable and rarely detracts from the gameplay.

Ultimately, this is a "pretty good, but not great" game. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who was unfamiliar with the first two games, but it is a faithful conclusion to the trilogy with innovative and fun gameplay.
  24. May 8, 2014
    A pathetic ending to the XIII trilogy. Lightning Returns did introduce a new and creative form of combat, and presents creative open world designs. However all of this is tragically hindered by its nonsensical dialogue, zero connection to the previous games, boring, forgetfulness of why Final Fantasy fans liked these characters, and worst of all the painfully stress inducing doomsday clock.
  25. Jul 31, 2014
    I really enjoyed Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII. The story was simple at least for me to follow and the battle system was a lot of fun. Looking at all the different schema I could use was cool and the customization was great too. Overall I really loved this game and I can not recommend it enough.
  26. Feb 15, 2014
    It's a good game, no matter what they say. What I don't understand is that Nier has the SAME (almost) score than Lightning returns, when obviously Nier is worse.
    Too many haters/spoiled fan boys.
  27. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is very well done i heard from IGN that this game is confusing but i played FFXIII &FFXIII-2 so i knew the backstory before heading into this and i found it not confusing at all besides that with 24 hours under my belt in this game i feel it deserves a 9 out of 10 purely from the gameplay alone and customization while i do enjoy the story i am probally 6 ingame days left till iThis game is very well done i heard from IGN that this game is confusing but i played FFXIII &FFXIII-2 so i knew the backstory before heading into this and i found it not confusing at all besides that with 24 hours under my belt in this game i feel it deserves a 9 out of 10 purely from the gameplay alone and customization while i do enjoy the story i am probally 6 ingame days left till i complete the game aka all main quests stop after 1-5 are done you have to wait till the last day so if you get done with them early leaves plenty of time for sidequests which are the only way to level lightning up upon completion but are fun in their own right (coming from someone who plays alot of MMORPGS im used to fetch quests) in all if you liked FFXIII-2 this game will blow it out of the water its very open world i would recommend any skeptics to rent this or buy it !!! Expand
  28. Feb 17, 2014
    Ho, boy...what a disaster.

I was pretty unimpressed by FF13, for all the reasons you've probably already heard. You don't need to hear those reasons again...but suffice to say aside from the game's pleasing visuals, it wasn't very well executed. So, why was I willing to give Lightning Returns a try? Well, I happen to find a way to play it with no expense to myself, and I wanted to
    Ho, boy...what a disaster.

So, why was I willing to give Lightning Returns a try? Well, I happen to find a way to play it with no expense to myself, and I wanted to see how or IF Squenix managed to fix anything.

Nope. Lightning is still a boring, slightly arrogant, monotonous, annoyance. She is, perhaps, the WORST character in the entire franchise...often times being meaninglessly violent or stupid, and only serving to drive by "plot points" that further the game's convoluted writing.

And yet, so many people are willing to turn a blind eye to her dullness and stupidity because, well, "sex sells". Lightning Returns is more of the same, only somehow they managed to take the old formula and make it even more boring.

If you still hold cherished memories of the Final Fantasy series as it used to be somewhere in your heart, then DON'T play this mess of a game.
  29. Feb 19, 2014
    In a word: "shovelware." Extremely disjointed and obtuse story elements compound the many problems of an already poorly written plotline; rather, a poorly localized plotline, marred by inconsistencies, contradictions and apparent fanservice that goes awry the minute the models start moving. Technical issues abound including many npcs clipping through each other to an increasinglyIn a word: "shovelware." Extremely disjointed and obtuse story elements compound the many problems of an already poorly written plotline; rather, a poorly localized plotline, marred by inconsistencies, contradictions and apparent fanservice that goes awry the minute the models start moving. Technical issues abound including many npcs clipping through each other to an increasingly staggering framerate likely due to a possible memory leak, poor lighting and poor collision only heighten the disjointed presentation.
    Square-Enix plastered "IT ALL ENDS HERE" on the back of the XBOX box for Lightning's return. . . .
    -Let's hope so! :(
  30. Feb 13, 2014
    The second better FF that i ever played.
    FFXIII it's awesome, the combat system, the class personalization and everything else, i really enjoyed it.
    Some people like to live stuck in the past and that is what is killing the final fantasy series.
    The bad point is that there are some little bugs, but i really enjoyed playing this game in the PS3.
  31. Feb 13, 2014
    Ignore all of the nostalgia tards. In terms of actual gameplay, this is one of the best Final Fantasy titles to date. Story: so-so. Characters: so-so. But the game itself is damn amazing.
  32. Feb 16, 2014
    I liked the ability to change costumes and customize your character, but thats about all i have to say thats good about this game. The advancement system is terrible. The game was not one that i found enjoyable to play, it felt more like a chore and i found myself playing for no more than about 20 mins at a time before getting bored and frustrated and going off to play something else. TheI liked the ability to change costumes and customize your character, but thats about all i have to say thats good about this game. The advancement system is terrible. The game was not one that i found enjoyable to play, it felt more like a chore and i found myself playing for no more than about 20 mins at a time before getting bored and frustrated and going off to play something else. The time limit is the worst idea that SE have ever put into a game, even if you can go new game plus you replay most of the same crap over and over again for very little gain. The whole FFXIII series has been a gigantic disappointment and i'd much rather play the classics from FFVI-FFXII. I hope square fixes their games and that the next FF has a decent story with more likable characters or i wont be purchasing any more in the future Expand
  33. Feb 17, 2014
    Far better than other ff13

Combat system improved and far better than other ff . Freedom of quest and exploration. Nice non-linear story telling so far. Difficulty intersting. And no more forced mob grind as previously.
  34. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is by no means a perfect one, but it is still a well rounded, enjoyable experience. As always with Metacritic, a lot of dissenters seem to be awarding absurdly low scores for laughable reasons.

I'm going to keep this one brief. Lightning Returns is a good game, but that's it. There a few flaws (noticeably, performance seems to have taken a hit), but they are by no means deal breakers. What the game lacks is any truly amazing standout moments and features. The 13 series has stumbled since it's first steps, but it still manages to land on it's feet. The battle system in particular is a far more interactive and thoroughly enjoyable experience.

If you're looking for a fun JRPG to spend the weekend on, give it a try, you might be surprised.
  35. Apr 5, 2014
    The biggest detraction for this game is having a time limit to complete main quests.I spent a lot of hours completing many side quests and exploring besides finishing 2 of the main quests only to face a "Game Over" screen.However,I love the series too much to put it down.I'm almost halfway done with my 2nd time around - in about a third of the time.This is because they allow you to keepThe biggest detraction for this game is having a time limit to complete main quests.I spent a lot of hours completing many side quests and exploring besides finishing 2 of the main quests only to face a "Game Over" screen.However,I love the series too much to put it down.I'm almost halfway done with my 2nd time around - in about a third of the time.This is because they allow you to keep almost everything you earned and found from the first attempt.I discovered the best way to do quests is to keep moving to different regions everyday,use chronostasis a lot but keep main quests a priority and finish what you can.The story is ok but Lightning plays the tough girl a bit too much.

For me the battle system had a big learning curve to grasp (playing in different costumes that alter your stats rather than a party).Sure dress up was fun, but speaking as (a guy) the nicer outfits definitely need more experience to master.This has been a revised review as I'm having more fun the (2nd time around).
  36. Jan 7, 2015
    Jogo de bicha, em inglês "Gay's game". As mecânicas prometeram muito, mas na verdade entregaram muito pouco! Como em raios (e em Lightnings) do universo você tem tempo cronometrado para jogar um RPG? Final Fantasy que não se evoluiu lutando!? Melhor, lutar aqui não tem sentindo algum! Dá para chegar ao último chefe lutando pouquíssimas vezes!! Trocar de roupinha? E rosa?! Vai brincar deJogo de bicha, em inglês "Gay's game". As mecânicas prometeram muito, mas na verdade entregaram muito pouco! Como em raios (e em Lightnings) do universo você tem tempo cronometrado para jogar um RPG? Final Fantasy que não se evoluiu lutando!? Melhor, lutar aqui não tem sentindo algum! Dá para chegar ao último chefe lutando pouquíssimas vezes!! Trocar de roupinha? E rosa?! Vai brincar de Barbie Motomu Toriyama (Go play with yours Barbies Motomu Toriyama)! Não sou machista, mulher TEM que jogar videogame também, mas nem a mais meiga e "rosinha" das garotas que conheço jogariam isso aqui! Poha! Vá pro inferno trocar de roupinha! O que irrita é o fato do Versus XIII ir pra nova geração por culpa dessa porcaria de Trilogia XIII! Lixo! Não presta! Se você está lendo meu review, tire a poeira do seu PS2 e vá jogar Final Fantasy XII como se não houvesse amanhã! TORIYAMA! TALK WITH MY HANDS!! WORST SQUARE ENIX'S GAME EVER! Expand
  37. Nov 20, 2016
    Overall, I would say the game is not better than XIII-2, which for me is the best one of the three. I will start with the bad things and end with the pros:

So the bad things: The graphics are almost identical to XIII-2, and honestly, in these days, I can't say they look as good as they used too. Some textures and npc models are pretty difficult to watch. Artistic design isn't very

So the bad things:

Artistic design isn't very good either. Personally, I liked almost none of lightning outfits, and the 4 big worlds that you can explore lack uniqueness and charm. Actually, they made me crave for that time when FFXIII used to be all about straight corridors, but at least they were all beautiful lol

Multiple choice XIII-2 style dialog is no longer here. Why?

Another thing that annoyed me, is that I'm a big fan of Majora's Mask Zelda, so I expected a lot about the "everchanging world". It didn't fill my expectations. First because the worlds are so big, that you won't be able to know what's going on the cities, and second because npc do not actually have a pattern of behaviour that you can study. I mean, they do not go from their houses to the school, from the school to the park, etc. They simply appear at certain moments in the day, and vanish again at another hour. Really, Square? At least you could have played a little bit of Majora's Mask, or even Skyrim, to learn how to do an "alive world" properly!

But the worst of all things, was that when I reached like day 9 (you have 13 days to save the world), I was like: ok, now what? I had done all main quests and almost all side quests by then! So I spent 4 days doing practically nothing. I know you can simply go to the inn and sleep till the final day, but still it sounded flawed to me, specially while in the previous games I had the completely opposite feeling: I ended the games, and still had tons of things to do.

The side quests, by the way, aren't memorable at all. I think they should have made less "rubbish quests" and focus on doing a few ones properly.

Now the pros:

The one thing that have improved is that you can dress lightning with toons of weapons, amulets, shields, armor, etc. and I liked the fact that no outfit is better than other, which creates a more strategical and challenging battle system.

Another pro is, of course, that lightning (now cooler than ever) is again the main protagonist, although you will have more party members for some parts of the game.

The story is not as good as the previous games, although I must say some characters, like Lumina and Lightning herself, are excellently well written. The ending, which is also the ending of the entire saga, is fantabulous!

Overall I was satisfied with the game, but at the same time I was somehow sad... Because I wanted a 4th!
  38. Aug 28, 2015
    Why can't she just stay away?

Why can't she just stay away?

To be clear, I don't think FF13 was that bad. In fact I think the sequel could have been a really solid RPG, were it not for it's sequel-bait last 2 minutes. Lighting Returns, on the other hand, has extensive customization, a decent battle system, an open world...and yet STILL manages to be even more boring than both of its predecessor's combined. With an unlikable cast, a painfully predictable plot, and a doomsday-clock that ends up more frustrating than engaging, LR may may be the worst console FF game to date.

Never come back, Lightning. Never EVER come back.

THE GOOD
    + Lots of customization options
    + Pseudo-job system, and Tales-like combat really comes alive during the boss fights.
    + A proper open world with lots of detail.

THE BAD
    - The Doomsday clock discourages exploration and experimentation
    - The plot is just Final Fantasy XIII again...only even more predictable
    - Every character is a mopey-dropy stick-in-the-mud. Seriously, what have you done to Sazh!
    - Terribly balanced difficulty
    - Far to frustrating and tedious to recommend.
  39. Apr 28, 2015
    The developers are tryin too hard to make the franchise into something its not. The story and setting are 2nd rate at best. The savior on a mission from god?........Didn't really care for the battle system, poor camera angles when fighting multiple enemies. Time gated content is annoying. The best thing about this game is outfit customization. It's a game to avoid, even at the low price itThe developers are tryin too hard to make the franchise into something its not. The story and setting are 2nd rate at best. The savior on a mission from god?........Didn't really care for the battle system, poor camera angles when fighting multiple enemies. Time gated content is annoying. The best thing about this game is outfit customization. It's a game to avoid, even at the low price it can be had. Expand
  40. Jun 9, 2014
    I will admit that the last two Final Fantasy 13 games were better than most people said, as it had many good things as well as flaws. However, Lightning Returns really ruined the trilogy of games with how much of a trainwreck it was. This game really went downhill with all of its flaws...The only good thing about this game is the graphics, but if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still aI will admit that the last two Final Fantasy 13 games were better than most people said, as it had many good things as well as flaws. However, Lightning Returns really ruined the trilogy of games with how much of a trainwreck it was. This game really went downhill with all of its flaws...The only good thing about this game is the graphics, but if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. They can't hide all the flaws of the game by giving everyone eye candy. All of the issues with the other games were exemplified ten fold in this game which was very sad. The dialogue, which I thought bad in the first 2 got even WORSE. They talk like they don't even care about the game. Every character either talks like they are on laughing gas or like they have no emotions and it gets annoying. Another flaw is the time system. This contradicts the open world which they added. You can't explore because you don't want to run out of time. Also, all of the old RPG traits were kind of replaced with new type of things. No levels, you get your stats through quests which just waste time. The story by far is the worst thing about this game though. How is anyone supposed to understand what is going on. The story is so convoluted at this point that I have given up trying to interpret it. Don't waste your time on this game, it is a disappointment to the series. Lightning to be honest should have never returned... Expand
  41. Dec 19, 2014
    Lets start with statement: I love final fantasy series. My favourites in order are: FF10, FF8, FFIX, FF 10-2, FF13, FF7, Crisis Core, FF13-2, Dirge of Cerberus, FF12. I finished all of them, couple of times. I also tried to play FF1-6 but i was unable to enjoy them, I guess i got them too late (after FFX).
    So in summary You can say im a fan.
    Lets go with this piece of.. 1) The story. I
    So in summary You can say im a fan.
    Lets go with this piece of..
    1) The story. I finished 13-2 about a year ago. I dont remember the story too well, because it was overcomplicated and rather bad. This one seems even worse. So again we got some lCie falCie etc. Whats the point of making out so many weird names? Bungabunga god? Savior women who save souls by wiping somebodys behind? Meh... 1/10
    2) Gameplay - second most important thing in ff series after story. Are SE kidding me? I start the game. I did first quest and now i am able to roam enywhere i want. I forgot to save game. I explore the town and stumble into girl who wants to beat some monster which killed 12 hunters. Ok second quest in the game shouldnt be that hard. Lets get him. Cool im fighting some dragon! After some button mashing, he like two shot me. Game over.. Restart from autosave about 1 hour earlier, but maybe my bad lets do something else. Hope suggest me to go elsewhere. I go on some plains yada yada first monster outside the train station. Bahamut-like creature. Im really scared. Yes, he two-shots me. Restart. This time from autosave on plains. Another set of monsters. Button-mash-fest. Chaos. Game over. Maybe Ill stick to the city. Mechanically looking monster not from quest. It seems i cant stagger him. The fight drags on for ~15 minutes. But I won! Ill be da badaasss because he has to give me lots of xp. WRONG! Ehh... this is just stupid. The whole run around huge maps searching for quest thing is stupid. I decided - I wont play this game anymore, because I dont want to study walkthroughs, and i dont have the time to run around stressed wathing that clock in right corner ticking... So overall gameplay for me 0/10.
    3) Graphics. Those are actually ok. The model of lightning looks a bit awkward (sword is levitating behind her back, and it has other ghostly abilities, but this is common on x360 games so ill do a blind eye to that. Maps are a bit empty. I liked design in FF 13 so much better. But overall good 6/10.
    4) Music. From what i was able to hear, its waried, but not as good as in Nobuo Uematsu era - 6/10.
    5) Overall. The game is bad. Just bad. Its not Final Fantasy anymore. 3/10
  42. Jan 22, 2017
    Ach ja FF. War meines Erachtens schon immer zu Overhyped. Dennoch kann ich die ganzen "Nuller" Bewertungen nicht verstehen. Findet euch damit ab. Für FF ist das Turn-Based Battlesystem Geschichte. Ebenso die Innovationen für die es geprießen war - waren diese doch ohnehin meist nur leicht verbesserte Ideen von anderen Entwicklern (denen eigentlich die Lorbeeren gehören). Aber ich bewerteAch ja FF. War meines Erachtens schon immer zu Overhyped. Dennoch kann ich die ganzen "Nuller" Bewertungen nicht verstehen. Findet euch damit ab. Für FF ist das Turn-Based Battlesystem Geschichte. Ebenso die Innovationen für die es geprießen war - waren diese doch ohnehin meist nur leicht verbesserte Ideen von anderen Entwicklern (denen eigentlich die Lorbeeren gehören). Aber ich bewerte dieses Spiel objektiv und unabhängig davon, dass Square Enix einer der überbewertetsten Publisher und Delevoper auf diesem Erdball sind (Ubisoft, EA und Activision reihen sich mit ein).

--Spielmechaniken:
    Das Kampfsystem wird von vielen in den Boden geschimpft. Ich finde, dass dieses in der FF13 Reihe noch den größten Spassfaktor und Anspruch bietet. Vll gerade weil Lightning alleine im Feld ist, sind die Begegnungen taktischer den je (in der FF 13 Reihe). Auch die "Kostüme", oder eher die Klassen, sind an und für sich sehr variabel und es macht Spass das richtige Setup für den eigenen Spielstil zu suchen. Die Steuerung geht angenehm von der Hand.

--Charaktere:
    Was soll ich sagen, es ist FF13. Seit dem ersten Teil der Serie hätte der Cast nicht klischeehaftiger für mich sein können (und teilweise so übertrieben, dass es schmalziger nicht geht). Dennoch fand und finde ich Lightning zusammen mit Fang noch am erträglichsten. Somit, da in diesem Spiel ja Lightning der einzige spielbare Chara ist, alles im grünen.

--Story:
    Jaaaaaa... wo fange ich an. Lightning versucht den Tag zu retten... gut nächster Punkt. Nein! Ich muss es weiter ausführen. Die Welt ist durch die ersten zwei Teile (vorallem den zweiten) der FF13 Reihe im Umbruch da Dunkelheit die Welt verschlingt... weil in FF13-2 Sarah, Lightnings Schwester, es nicht geschafft hat, dies zu verhindern... obwohl sie eigentlich gewonnen hat, es aber trotzdem in den letzten Minuten natürlich alles anders kam... aber auch nur, weil Lightning im ersten Teil nicht erkannt hat, dass noch viel mehr hinter den Beweggründen des fiesen Bösewichts steckt...

Ach keine Ahnung. Die Story auf dem Niveau der XIII Reihe gebliegen. Das heist, Verwirrung und Unlogik geben sich die Hand solange es episch inszeniert bleibt (zumindest für die Produzenten).

--Spielwelt:
    Beruhend auf die Story...ist auch die Spielewelt merkwürdig (ein anderes Wort fällt mir nicht ein... aber es liegt an der Story... das erklärt es... ja das erklärt es). Ohne zu spoilern: Alles ist am Arsch... die Welt ist im Umbruch. Kontinente verschwinden und wenige Rückzugsorte sind geblieben. Und diese sind sozusagen die Spielwelt. Diese sind allerdings abwechslungsreich gestaltet und somit i.O.

--Grafik:
    Hier hat SE wie erwartet einiges abgeliefert. Wer also ein Grafikfetischist ist, wird hier glücklich... wobei ich bei meinen Reviews eher von mir selbst ausgehe und es mir eigentlich total egal ist. Grafik kann für mich nicht von fehlenden oder unbefriedigenden Spieleelementen ablenken. Aber die Grafik ist wirklich gut.

--Sound:
    Im großen und ganzen kann ich mich nicht beschweren. Für mich keine Ohrwürmer dabei... aber auch keine nervigen sich immer wiederholenden Lieder. Ist in Ordnung.

--Schlusswort:
    Ein würdiger Abschluss für eine solide Serie. Mehr aber auch nicht. Man kann damit Spass haben allerdings verstehe ich die FF Fans, die so viel mehr von diesem Spiel bzw. der ganzen FF13 Reihe erwartet haben.
  43. Oct 14, 2016
    Lightning returns has the best story and battle system of Lightnings Saga, but graphics are slightly sub-par compared to the other two installments, and a few other issues take the rating down to a 7.

Positives: LR's battle system is, by far, the best I have seen in awhile. Blurring the lines between turn-based and real-time, Lightning can take three highly customisable "schemata"

Positives:

LR's battle system is, by far, the best I have seen in awhile.
    Blurring the lines between turn-based and real-time, Lightning can take three highly customisable "schemata" into battle, along with some recovery items. The fast-paced action, while keeping in with XIII's cinematic view, is exhilarating.

The story (now this is gonna be controversial) is better than previous titles in the Saga.
    God is using Lightning as the "Saviour", one that will relieve the burdens of Nova Chrysalias citizens and gather their souls for them to be reborn in the new world God is creating. On the thirteenth day, Nova Chrysalia will fall to the Chaos and the rescued souls will be reborn in the new world. Of course, the carrot driving Lightning is her sister Serah, who is in God's hands.
    No spoilers but... lets just say it's an ending atheists will like.
    It also delivered my favourite ending cutscene of all time. ((Lightning smiles in the end!??!)

MOG CAME BACK!! YAS. (big plus lol)
    Negatives:

.The graphics, while still breathtaking, are of a lesser quality than the others, with Luxerion looking particularly sickly.
    .Hope wouldn't shut up.
    .Outerworld shut down 2 years ago, which means it was open for about a year. Many schemata were lost.
    . I completed the main quests fairly quickly, leaving me wandering around aimless for a good 7 days.

Conclusion:
    I really did like LR but, some minor pitfalls keep it from greatness.
    Recommended if you like pretty, vast games with great battle systems but don't mind the few quibbles you'll definetly encounter.
  44. Dec 27, 2016
    the clock at the top of the screen broke the immersion and the way to do the real final is sucks, and we can only play with lightning it's boring becouse we found the other characters in game but we can't put they in the party

1. Mar 25, 2014
    A weak ending of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. Lightning Returns lags behind with its crappy story, atrocious dialogues, and new genre mechanics that work only sometimes.
  2. Mar 9, 2014
    While Lightning Returns is in most ways the opposite of Final Fantasy XIII's overbearing linearity, it ultimately shares the same core recommendation; if you manage to stick with what's a very uneven first half, there's definitely an enjoyable and satisfying role-playing game to be found. It's just a shame it takes so much time to get there.
  3. Feb 24, 2014
    There is a lot wrong in this last installment for FFXIII. Fans of the franchise will need to play it to enjoy all the nods to past characters, yet it is not worth playing for those who aren't already huge FF or JRPG fans.