8.4

1. Dec 9, 2014
    X-Box One version: Awesome little platformer that tells its story in a unusual art-house way. The game has some challenging moments, but in general, it is balanced very well. The monotone nature blended with the soundtrack makes for a very immersive game; kind of a grim fairy-tale. Really was impressed with this, albeit a little short. Worthy 8/10 for me.
  2. May 9, 2014
    Superb atmosphere. Creepier than any Resident Evil put out in the last decade, but so is Sim City and Nintendogs I guess. At any rate, I give this trial and error platforming puzzler a couple of thumbs up.
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Ever wondered what it be like to go through purgatory? The developers at Playdead do a very impressive job at making an eerie black-and-white visual design of what purgatory may very well be like. You play as a young boy, and what a very courageous little boy he is. With absolutely no way to defend yourself within this dreamland-like world, you face many opponents that are there to killEver wondered what it be like to go through purgatory? The developers at Playdead do a very impressive job at making an eerie black-and-white visual design of what purgatory may very well be like. You play as a young boy, and what a very courageous little boy he is. With absolutely no way to defend yourself within this dreamland-like world, you face many opponents that are there to kill you. With smarts and courage, that little boy can get away without one single scratch. You'll face hostile natives, an assortment of traps and other deadly creatures.

The developers really suck you into this game. Between the gorgeous 2D side-scrolling black-and-white action, the sound effects, and an amazing sounding musical score, you just can't put down the game. There are a lot of puzzles, which will also get you real involved in the game. Some puzzles are really simple, but then later in the game you'll encounter harder and more complex puzzles. Some puzzles you can take your time on, but other are timed and everything must be done perfectly or you'll have to face the consequences.

Limbo is a well-designed, visually astounding game with amazing sound and a down right impressive musical score. But sadly, however, as you get real into the game, it abruptly ends and all you can say is "I want more!" So hopefully the developers at Playdead hear our plea for another installment for this awesome and involving game.
  4. Jul 18, 2013
    Good concept and smooth gameplay. I enjoyed the secrets in the game and most of the puzzles. While it starts down a story path using environment and character elements, it nevers ventures past the superficial, missing out on something great. In the end, you might feel you traded places with your character.
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    Simple yet challenging, immersive, beautiful, engaging, atmospheric. Limbo is a highly artistic, black and white, water color themed side scroller puzzle game. In essence Limbo is post modern, allowing the player to draw their own meaning upon completion. Extremely minimalistic, from gameplay mechanics to the soundtrack. In Limbo, less is more. The soundtrack, if you can call it that,Simple yet challenging, immersive, beautiful, engaging, atmospheric. Limbo is a highly artistic, black and white, water color themed side scroller puzzle game. In essence Limbo is post modern, allowing the player to draw their own meaning upon completion. Extremely minimalistic, from gameplay mechanics to the soundtrack. In Limbo, less is more. The soundtrack, if you can call it that, practically contains no "music" at all, more like ambient sounds and at certain parts, rising, edgy, huge, chords. If you can imagine what sound saturn emits or maybe mars or even a black hole, then you can imagine how this awesome soundtrack sounds at times. Be sure to play this one with the lights off in the dark with no distractions. A perfect game 10/10. Must play. Expand
  6. Feb 28, 2013
    This is a fantastic first outing for Playdead. The world is dark and grisly and there is no dialogue and no story other than what is given you in the game's initial description--and yet it's been a long time since I've played a game that feels so alive. The runtime is regrettably short, however, and this causes the world of Limbo to leave much too soon. It will take many attempts on theseThis is a fantastic first outing for Playdead. The world is dark and grisly and there is no dialogue and no story other than what is given you in the game's initial description--and yet it's been a long time since I've played a game that feels so alive. The runtime is regrettably short, however, and this causes the world of Limbo to leave much too soon. It will take many attempts on these puzzles, but every success is a big one and by the game's finish, you feel like you've accomplished something of substance. This is a work of art. Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2013
    Solid, if unremarkable, platforming action combined with some of the most striking visuals combine to make yet another Xbox Live title more than worth the price of a download.
  8. Feb 8, 2013
    This is a great game while it lasts. It was super fun to beat it with zero deaths. The hidden eggs are all really cool as well. I love the atmosphere of this game.
  9. Dec 11, 2012
    Why!? I wanted to love limbo like I do so many games, and really like to art and style of it, But after beating it in under 4 hours couldn't help but feel I lost 15 bucks. Now had I only paid like 6-9 dollars I might have felt better, but this game is too short. It started off really good, and had some really neat ideas but in the end the game was too short which is the same complaint IWhy!? I wanted to love limbo like I do so many games, and really like to art and style of it, But after beating it in under 4 hours couldn't help but feel I lost 15 bucks. Now had I only paid like 6-9 dollars I might have felt better, but this game is too short. It started off really good, and had some really neat ideas but in the end the game was too short which is the same complaint I have for any other game like this, journey. Anyways there was one part were the puzzle seemed to not make any sense and it was almost frustrating but I figured it out, which didn't give me near the accomplishment that I felt with Braid and Portal. Don't know why that is? Good game, but if your price sensitive wait for a good deal to play it. Expand
  10. Dec 8, 2012
    The game had a amazing art style and great puzzles which were hard however with regular check points i never got annoyed playing Limbo. The game was a bit short i managed to finish it is around 4-5 hours and i'm not very good at puzzle games however for the money it is wroth it!
  11. Nov 1, 2012
    Limbo is an amazing game in both art and game play, the creative visual solutions and sound design makes for a wonderfully eerie atmosphere that most games fail at even coming close - Overall it's incredibly alluring for a game so void of dialogue and direct story, the visual storytelling is fantastic.
  12. Jul 13, 2012
    Based on the reviews, I was sure I'd like this game, but I was wrong. The only way to figure out the puzzles is to die over and over and over. For me, at least, this makes it completely impossible to get immersed. I want to be scared for the kid, but I can't do it. I want to be curious about the place, but I can't do it. Without those elements, the non-obviousness of the game has theBased on the reviews, I was sure I'd like this game, but I was wrong. The only way to figure out the puzzles is to die over and over and over. For me, at least, this makes it completely impossible to get immersed. I want to be scared for the kid, but I can't do it. I want to be curious about the place, but I can't do it. Without those elements, the non-obviousness of the game has the frustrating part of "challenging" without any real reward. All these reviewers feel good about figuring out a puzzle by trying every possible thing in the world, and dying 20 times? Not me. Three times I quit, got talked into doing it more and then quit again. Expand
  13. Jun 16, 2012
    A very beautiful game, with a hint of something very dark. Honestly, a lot of what I remember is the art direction. Probably not the most difficult game I've ever played, but it kept my interest and was almost like watching a slower art movie rather than playing a game--which was something I appreciated but might not have been for everyone.
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    A incredible innovative platform game. I really got scary in certain moments of the game, and puzzles are hell of a challenge. But sometimes, the game mechanics are imprecise...
  15. May 27, 2012
    A good unique game, a bit short though.
  16. Feb 24, 2012
    Most of the critics for LIMBO come right to the point that it is short. Of course, compared with open-world games released everyday in which you can spend hundreds of hours in, LIMBO is short, it will take you 3-5 hours in the first time and 2 in further times. But, the hours you spend with LIMBO are fantastic. The game has one of the best art directions ever seen, with a innovative way ofMost of the critics for LIMBO come right to the point that it is short. Of course, compared with open-world games released everyday in which you can spend hundreds of hours in, LIMBO is short, it will take you 3-5 hours in the first time and 2 in further times. But, the hours you spend with LIMBO are fantastic. The game has one of the best art directions ever seen, with a innovative way of telling the story. The character doesn't speak one word, but you get attached to him in the first minutes. LIMBO's puzzles are incredibly clever, not very hard at most times, but after solving them you will probably be like "oooooh, I'm so stupid", because they are just simple and intelligent. So, altough LIMBO is short, it gets a 10, because it is innovative, beautiful, clever and overall one of the best experiences you can have. Expand
  17. Feb 22, 2012
    The most atmospheric and wonderfully puzzling game on XBLA. The art direction is superb and adds to the story, gameplay and the world itself. The price is a bit steep for a game with little replay value.
  18. Jan 22, 2012
    Limbo is one of those games that you can't really resist, even with the quite high price point. Made by Playdead, the game tries to implement puzzle into the side scrolling genre of games and does it very well. Personally it has an art style that you can die for, it's something unique and definitely drew me into the experience. The puzzles can be quite challenging as they often involveLimbo is one of those games that you can't really resist, even with the quite high price point. Made by Playdead, the game tries to implement puzzle into the side scrolling genre of games and does it very well. Personally it has an art style that you can die for, it's something unique and definitely drew me into the experience. The puzzles can be quite challenging as they often involve quick reactions as waters continues to rise as you move things out of the way in order for a certain object to float. Or something quite simple like moving an object on top of another in order to continue. The puzzles are nice and varied and you don't feel like you do the same puzzle twice (unless you die). The environments that you are in do change nicely, once in the forest then you go into more of an urban environment. The game looks beautiful, and there is no denying how well the execution has done. The verdict: If you have some spare Microsoft points lying around then get it; however the only draw back is how long the game actually is, coming in at about 4-5 hours (depending on your skill of solving puzzles) the price is really steep. But this is one game worth playing. Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2011
    Without a single word of dialogue and hardly any sound or assistance, Limbo captures me instantly and takes me on a journey through the dark, in hope of finding some light at the end. With clever puzzles supported by simplistic controls, this game lets you focus on the task at hand, and is a dark beauty with an atmosphere unlike anything else.
  20. Dec 3, 2011
    When all's said and done, it's the art style and atmosphere that made this game a success. The puzzles are generally above average for games of this type, although they mostly use rather vanilla mechanics that have been seen before in countless other games (push blocks around, swing on ropes, pull levers to change states of machinery etc. etc.) They do get repetitive, and after aboutWhen all's said and done, it's the art style and atmosphere that made this game a success. The puzzles are generally above average for games of this type, although they mostly use rather vanilla mechanics that have been seen before in countless other games (push blocks around, swing on ropes, pull levers to change states of machinery etc. etc.) They do get repetitive, and after about halfway through the game the puzzle design becomes far too reliant on precision timing, and frustration tends to dominate. What I found was that you fairly quickly work out *what* you are supposed to do, but the act of *actually* executing the sequence is bogged down with endless trial-and-error as you have to constantly micro-adjust the positions of things, and re-adjust your timing until you hit that split-second and pixel-perfect "sweet spot" that allows progression to actually occur. When it takes 30secs to figure out the solution, but 10 minutes of repeating the same sequence over and over until you hit that jump just right (for example), then there is something obviously wrong with the design. Best way of summing it up - it's a bit like how Braid would have played if you we're allowed to rewind time. Ouch. Expand
  21. Nov 28, 2011
    Loved the atmosphere and the puzzles were definitely fun. At 3 hours playtime it won't take much of your time (you're busy after all), and at 2.5$ it's quite the bargain (also gives that immense satisfaction of supporting indie game developers).
  22. Nov 27, 2011
    LIMBO is one of my favourite games I have ever played. It convinced me that artistic expression can be found in video games. The stand out factor of this game is no doubt the dark, eerie aesthetic. The game has a unique look and feel that has yet to have been used in other games. The puzzles are challenging, but not too hard and eventually you will make it through. My only downside of thisLIMBO is one of my favourite games I have ever played. It convinced me that artistic expression can be found in video games. The stand out factor of this game is no doubt the dark, eerie aesthetic. The game has a unique look and feel that has yet to have been used in other games. The puzzles are challenging, but not too hard and eventually you will make it through. My only downside of this was the length, however I feel that LIMBO is a concept game, similar to the first Portal game. It is a breakthrough in gaming, however there is a lot left to explore and I hope there are plans to make more LIMBO. Expand
  23. Nov 22, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game. There hasn't been a game in black in white that I really love that I can truly remember. The gameplay was difficult but rewarding, and who can forget that spider? Scary!
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    Innovation at its best. Top notch gameplay feel. Amazing sound and visuals. Mastered ambiance. Anyone who cannot appreciate this game's genius is simply blind.
  25. Nov 9, 2011
    One of the most visually impressive games ever. It's crazy to think that something in black and white could be so fascinating! Definitely recommended for those skeptical on the best XBLA has to offer.
  26. Nov 5, 2011
    Pros: art style, and some of the puzzles. Cons: short, lack of story, not much sound, and too many puzzles requiring accuracy and precision with a character that doesn't handle too well. Also, no replay value, aside from cleaning up any missed achievements. I would not recommend this game, even on DotW.
  27. Sep 7, 2011
    I love this game so much! Its dark surreal environments coupled withheld the eerie atmospheric sound effects make for a highly enjoyable experience. my only complaint is that its too short;you can get a through it in about an hour. After I finises playing though I started it over again. Definitely worth the $15.
  28. Aug 26, 2011
    It's one of the best arcade games I've ever bought. It's wrong to say it's too short because it's full of traps and enigmas that sometimes take a lot of time to be solved. I suggest to buy it to everyone who wants a real challenge and likes puzzle games!
  29. Aug 26, 2011
    Limbo is a dark and scary game from play dead studios. A boys sister has been captured by some weirdos and uncertain of her fate he enters LIMBO. The story isnt fantastic but you play this game for the puzzles. It looks fantastic the darkness and silhouette style is great. The sound off just rushing wind and that slight piano playing makes it sound great too. The puzzles are unique andLimbo is a dark and scary game from play dead studios. A boys sister has been captured by some weirdos and uncertain of her fate he enters LIMBO. The story isnt fantastic but you play this game for the puzzles. It looks fantastic the darkness and silhouette style is great. The sound off just rushing wind and that slight piano playing makes it sound great too. The puzzles are unique and each failed attempt at a puzzle sees the boy get slaughtered . Overall it's a unique creepy little game i'll give it a 7.5 The review will be on my blog at http://maximalistgtg.blogspot.com/2011/08/limbo.html Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2011
    Turning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found inTurning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found in Limbo. Less can be more which is a lesson that the rest of the industry should learn. Recommended. Expand
  31. Aug 6, 2011
    LIMBO is a atmospheric puzzle platformer so much filled with challenging puzzles that had me stumped for a while to solve. I really enjoyed the immersive and eerie experience this game provided. It's a real shame that it ended so soon (4 hours). I commend the developers for developing a game that EVERYONE can play (I'm hearing impaired). No dialog is played at all, just the beautiful musicLIMBO is a atmospheric puzzle platformer so much filled with challenging puzzles that had me stumped for a while to solve. I really enjoyed the immersive and eerie experience this game provided. It's a real shame that it ended so soon (4 hours). I commend the developers for developing a game that EVERYONE can play (I'm hearing impaired). No dialog is played at all, just the beautiful music that play in snyc with the emotion and environments of the game.

This is a game that I will pick my controller up and play again and again. I recommend this game to anyone who love puzzle platformers.
  32. Aug 4, 2011
    I appreciate the art direction, but only at first. There's simply not enough content in this game. The slow pacing drags the already seemingly uninspired direction into a lethargic territory. I would not recommend it (it's short, too).
  33. Jul 25, 2011
    Almost prefect, no other developer in history had simple but big ideas to invent an masterpiece. limbo's puzzles are incredible, hours of discovering and exploring this world is the set piece. The atmosphere plays like no other game, you can even compare it to Dead Space, Fear or even the Silent Hill games, bone chilling experience. Black and White graphics make it original andAlmost prefect, no other developer in history had simple but big ideas to invent an masterpiece. limbo's puzzles are incredible, hours of discovering and exploring this world is the set piece. The atmosphere plays like no other game, you can even compare it to Dead Space, Fear or even the Silent Hill games, bone chilling experience. Black and White graphics make it original and incomparable to all the games. Expand
  34. May 9, 2011
    The story sets up its intriguing mystique perfectly, but never really delivers on or even tries to make sense of the plot - nevertheless, the game comes through with awesomely clever physics-based puzzle design, great sound design and a load of super-unique visual and aural atmosphere! Definitely worth replaying, too.
  35. Apr 1, 2011
    I really wanted to love this game. The art direction is fantastic, the atmosphere is consuming, and the spider is scary as hell. Unfortunately, the game's puzzles and platforming bits are almost entirely guess-and-check (the black and white coloring does not help). Which means enjoy dying countless deaths due to poor game design.
  36. Mar 3, 2011
    Horror at it's best.
    The game is so cliqued yet so beautifully executed that you just ignore the clique's.
    Oh, and did I mention the game was as subtle and scary as **** Yeah, have fun pissing your pant's.
    However it's hard to distuinguishe a trap untill your amputated head is rolling into a pit.
  37. Jan 23, 2011
    No way is this game "media hype". This is a brilliant puzzle platformer with an amazing art style. Play with the lights off, it will draw you in to is German expressionist, brilliant minimal style. It's gory and exciting. The only complaint I have is the ending. I wanted more and more closure. But this is an awesome game.
  38. Dec 30, 2010
    Limbo is probably my "game of the year" for Xbox Live. The game is so unique, so original and really captivating. The puzzles and challenges are memorable and not soon forgotten. My only gripe is that I can only manage to get 190 GS, the last 10 require you to play through the game in one sitting, dying less than 5 times! There is no way I will ever be able to do that. Seriously people, ifLimbo is probably my "game of the year" for Xbox Live. The game is so unique, so original and really captivating. The puzzles and challenges are memorable and not soon forgotten. My only gripe is that I can only manage to get 190 GS, the last 10 require you to play through the game in one sitting, dying less than 5 times! There is no way I will ever be able to do that. Seriously people, if you are looking for a game that breaks rules and stands on it's own - no big time brand behind it, no big marketing - check out Limbo. I can't wait for the next game from these developers. Expand
  39. Nov 7, 2010
    A beautifully directed and constructed game, which is as much a work of art as it is a game. Haunting music and stark, simple graphics, make it utterly absorbing. It's tough to complete, but still shockingly short, though I'd have tired if it had been longer, so there's no real way for it to win other than to retail for less than it is. Well worth your time though - more games should beA beautifully directed and constructed game, which is as much a work of art as it is a game. Haunting music and stark, simple graphics, make it utterly absorbing. It's tough to complete, but still shockingly short, though I'd have tired if it had been longer, so there's no real way for it to win other than to retail for less than it is. Well worth your time though - more games should be inspired by Limbo's simple ambitions. Expand
  40. Oct 25, 2010
    LIMBO is a game that reminds you that simplicity can be the best characteristic of a video game. The art scheme takes LIMBO to a level that, to me, has become a cult following; a cult following I have been happily pulled in to. The game is short, but sweet, and can be difficult at parts. It takes a lot of deep thinking, and that's what makes LIMBO a blast. The physics are spot on, theLIMBO is a game that reminds you that simplicity can be the best characteristic of a video game. The art scheme takes LIMBO to a level that, to me, has become a cult following; a cult following I have been happily pulled in to. The game is short, but sweet, and can be difficult at parts. It takes a lot of deep thinking, and that's what makes LIMBO a blast. The physics are spot on, the ambience is creepy, and I never died once because of the games design. 10/10 Expand
  41. Oct 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Within the first five minutes LIMBO hits you like a ton of bricks. The art style, sound effects and physics build a tense atmosphere - the producers show that there is still room for creativity in 2D platform games. LIMBO has some great gaming moments (the spider is particularly memorable) though it feels like lots of these are near the start of the game and the end slightly goes over old ground. The game does not have much replay value (aside from playing it to show to friends) but it is worth your time and is an excellent way to spend 3 to 4 hours. Expand
  42. Oct 3, 2010
    One of XBLA's best offerings. You shouldn't miss it. If you are at all into platformers or indy games LIMBO is a true gem of this generation. It proves that you can create incredible atmospheres without fancy 3D graphics, just by good design and careful attention to detail. Towards the end of the game some puzzles get unfair and tough, but that doesn't detract from the overall amazingOne of XBLA's best offerings. You shouldn't miss it. If you are at all into platformers or indy games LIMBO is a true gem of this generation. It proves that you can create incredible atmospheres without fancy 3D graphics, just by good design and careful attention to detail. Towards the end of the game some puzzles get unfair and tough, but that doesn't detract from the overall amazing experience. Highly recommended, although you will die a lot. Expand
  43. Sep 29, 2010
    LIMBO is an instant classic. The only negative thing I could say about the game is that it isn't all that long, but as an XBLA title it really doesn't need to be a 20 hour epic. It has terrific art direction, mind-bending puzzles, and terrificly gruesome deaths. Many platformers where you die often cause extreme frustration, but each death in LIMBO is a learning experience. The gameLIMBO is an instant classic. The only negative thing I could say about the game is that it isn't all that long, but as an XBLA title it really doesn't need to be a 20 hour epic. It has terrific art direction, mind-bending puzzles, and terrificly gruesome deaths. Many platformers where you die often cause extreme frustration, but each death in LIMBO is a learning experience. The game features a sparse, yet haunting soundtrack. There really isn't much music to speak of, but when the music starts you know that something wicked this way comes. This is THE best XBLA title released this year and one of the best games of 2010 period. Do yourself a favor and pick up this game yesterday! Expand
  44. Sep 21, 2010
    Very well-made game. Simple and effective. A bit short for the price though, but the brevity makes multiple playthroughs a little easier to manage. The game is very dark, a bit creepy, and has a bit of a sick sense of humor in the ways you can die. A very enjoyable experience though. If you have the money and want something new, get this game.
  45. Sep 20, 2010
    Beautiful. Just beautiful. If you're a fan of anything dark, twisted, puzzling, creative, and actually scary at times (something rare in today's games) then this is not one to pass up. A second play through probably won't give you that initial thrill that you should feel the first time, and the entire game can be completed in just a few hours, but those are the only things that you canBeautiful. Just beautiful. If you're a fan of anything dark, twisted, puzzling, creative, and actually scary at times (something rare in today's games) then this is not one to pass up. A second play through probably won't give you that initial thrill that you should feel the first time, and the entire game can be completed in just a few hours, but those are the only things that you can even consider flaws. As far as downloadable games go, it's nearly impossible to top. Expand
  46. Sep 17, 2010
    I believe this game is nothing more than hype with its users liking it because of the media induced hype. I completed the game and it wasn't anything special, very repetitive nothing more than 200 gamer-score. Although this game is unique I just haven't bought into the genre. Although this review is very negative this is just my opinion, try the demo, it shows the game for everything itI believe this game is nothing more than hype with its users liking it because of the media induced hype. I completed the game and it wasn't anything special, very repetitive nothing more than 200 gamer-score. Although this game is unique I just haven't bought into the genre. Although this review is very negative this is just my opinion, try the demo, it shows the game for everything it is. Taking into account the price i believe this game is mediocre. Expand
  47. Sep 16, 2010
    It has already been stated that this game blurs the line between art and games. I echo this thought. After reading the interview with the creator of this game I am stuck wondering what it could have been. It's a shame when corporate types and faceless higher-ups can have a say so or in some way hinder the artistic process. Still, LIMBO succeeds and surpasses on all levels. Sound, graphics,It has already been stated that this game blurs the line between art and games. I echo this thought. After reading the interview with the creator of this game I am stuck wondering what it could have been. It's a shame when corporate types and faceless higher-ups can have a say so or in some way hinder the artistic process. Still, LIMBO succeeds and surpasses on all levels. Sound, graphics, game play, and best of all tone. If you don't feel a slight stir whilst playing check your pulse. To play this through as a simple "run right and jump" is missing the point I think. Expand
  48. Sep 14, 2010
    If it weren't for the art direction, this game would have gained little attention. The general vibe is interestingly depressed and monotone, but the implication of the title: that the game somehow explores the concept of being in 'Liumbo' falls apart quickly. It is barely explored in the game itself, and at the halfway mark, the initial interest of being in a real / organic place repleteIf it weren't for the art direction, this game would have gained little attention. The general vibe is interestingly depressed and monotone, but the implication of the title: that the game somehow explores the concept of being in 'Liumbo' falls apart quickly. It is barely explored in the game itself, and at the halfway mark, the initial interest of being in a real / organic place replete with beats and animals preying on those trapped between worlds falls apart and the game descends into a generic clockwork maze. Filled with turning gears designed to expand the gameplay possibilities, they do not serve the theme or even truly expand the mechanics and show a distinct lack of inspiration and imagination for a game that only last a few hours. Worse, the base mechanics are floaty and imprecise, meaning the character is difficult and annoying to control: problems that were solved in the 90s on the SNES. Expand
  49. Aug 31, 2010
    Hands down this is the best arcade game I've ever played. These XBOX doozies are getting better and better, and this should be a model for what's to come in the near and far future. It's a quick little game but it has immense replay value. Definitely check it out.
  50. Aug 30, 2010
    Indie developer Playdead produces a 2D puzzle platform adventure set in a world that inspires as much wonder as it does apprehension. Players wake up in the world of Limbo as a little boy and must quickly learn to fend for themselves because Playdead offer players zero explanation or tutorials about what to do. Despite the lack of direction, everything eventually makes sense because theIndie developer Playdead produces a 2D puzzle platform adventure set in a world that inspires as much wonder as it does apprehension. Players wake up in the world of Limbo as a little boy and must quickly learn to fend for themselves because Playdead offer players zero explanation or tutorials about what to do. Despite the lack of direction, everything eventually makes sense because the controls and puzzle designs are intuitive and well thought out. Playdead's title has some questionable design choices with regards to trial and error gameplay and a complete lack of dialogue either written or spoken, but the rest of the game's amazing qualities make it a game players should not be apprehensive about purchasing. Expand
  51. Aug 28, 2010
    It's good, albeit really short, difficult and lacking a good soundtrack. Basically all you do is run, jump and die (A LOT). The only thing the game needs is a hint system, games are allowed to be challenging, but I'm clearly not the brightest person and some puzzles had me going to the internet to figure out. For a simple game, it's way too short. Not worth the current price (1200MSIt's good, albeit really short, difficult and lacking a good soundtrack. Basically all you do is run, jump and die (A LOT). The only thing the game needs is a hint system, games are allowed to be challenging, but I'm clearly not the brightest person and some puzzles had me going to the internet to figure out. For a simple game, it's way too short. Not worth the current price (1200MS points). I'd say just wait for it to be cheaper, you're not missing much even though the critics are treating this game like the god of XBLA. It's nothing compared to games like Scott Pilgrim or Shadow Complex. Expand
  52. Aug 24, 2010
    This is a great game. The only negative is the MP total of 1200. I think 800 would be more feasible. The game itself is stunning. I think anyway who plays it should sit down block out some hours of time and turn the lights out and the t.v. sound up. This is a game that screams for immersion. When the boy dies, and he will die, it will startle you as well as make you jump. You will want toThis is a great game. The only negative is the MP total of 1200. I think 800 would be more feasible. The game itself is stunning. I think anyway who plays it should sit down block out some hours of time and turn the lights out and the t.v. sound up. This is a game that screams for immersion. When the boy dies, and he will die, it will startle you as well as make you jump. You will want to solve every puzzle. The European review stated that it will get repetitive. I never found the game using the same thing. Instead the game pushes you to go a little further. You will never quit the game as long as you are moving, only when you reach a puzzle that is just a little too difficult will you stop and go do something else. Even than in your mind or while you sleep you will think about this game. I think the reason some people feel this game is too short, is that you will not truly stop thinking and playing this game until you beat it or give up completely. I have given this a ten. It is that good. Expand
  53. Aug 22, 2010
    Without doubt one of the most beautiful games I have ever played, Limbo blurs the lines between video games and art. The puzzles are really devious too! But, way too short. I'm hoping they will create another Limbo game, as there are so many ideas here i'm sure they can greatly expand on this great little game.
  54. Aug 22, 2010
    For those of you who play games that don't like to really THINK about what you're playing as you're playing it, this may not be the game for you. It might not also not be for your 10-year-old brother who was expecting more action, and maybe even music or voice, and don't like to use their problem solving techniques in the game. For those of you who like to play games that make you thinkFor those of you who play games that don't like to really THINK about what you're playing as you're playing it, this may not be the game for you. It might not also not be for your 10-year-old brother who was expecting more action, and maybe even music or voice, and don't like to use their problem solving techniques in the game. For those of you who like to play games that make you think about what you're trying to accomplish in the game while thinking about the other aspects of the game, like the monochromatic atmosphere you're in, or what you're main goal is in the game (besides running right to get to the end of the game), or even why you're doing whatever it is you're doing, LIMBO is definitely the game of choice for this Summer of Arcade.
    Your experience with the boy in LIMBO just blemishes creativity throughout the seamless, loading screen free world. You only have 3 controls: jump, move, and action, which is usually used to push buttons or pull levers and objects where you need them. As dull of a control scheme as that may sound, that's about as real as you can get. What you do in the game fully relates to real-world logic and physics. You use your body and your movements to clear almost all the obstacles in the game, with occasional help from gravity switches and elevators and whatnot. It's just you out there, running alone through LIMBO.
    The presentation of the game is really something you have to experience at night, with all the lights off and the door closed, and the volume turned up way loud, maybe even with headphones if you can. That's the best way to draw you into the haunting world you'll be playing in. Many times I've gotten eaten or stabbed by a big crawling spider and literally jumped in my chair shocked. Not in a bad way, I'm just so enthralled in what I'm doing in the game it catches me off guard quickly.
    Anyway, as I said before, this game makes you really think about the puzzles in the game to get you to the next chapter, but also leaves you to think of a reason for why you're moving right. There are hundreds of possibilities and stories for what The Boy's story is and why he is uncertain about his sister's fate, and that's all for you to decide.
    The only downside I had to this game is the replay value of the game, and how short it was. It took me two sittings and about 5 hours to get to the end of the game, and to find all the hidden eggs along the way. After you play this even for 20 minutes, it'll be on your mind for days.
  55. Aug 18, 2010
    Unique and challenging, drags you into an obscure world and doesn't let go. I havn't enjoyed exploring such a great environment since Shadow of the Colossus and the only let down is the length at 4-5 hours. Highly recommended.
  56. Aug 12, 2010
    LIMBO is a game that will go down in history for its creative and mind-bending puzzles, and its somewhat artistic ending that really makes you think. The hidden eggs are extremely challenging and make you want to explore every inch of the games world, and this adds replay value. Sadly the game only lasts 2-4 hours, and can be completed in one sitting. I strongly recommend this game toLIMBO is a game that will go down in history for its creative and mind-bending puzzles, and its somewhat artistic ending that really makes you think. The hidden eggs are extremely challenging and make you want to explore every inch of the games world, and this adds replay value. Sadly the game only lasts 2-4 hours, and can be completed in one sitting. I strongly recommend this game to those who seek a mind bending adventure because this is a game you will not forget. Expand
  57. Aug 22, 2010

1. Jan 18, 2011
    There is a wonderful minimalism about the whole experience, from start to finish, which includes the relatively abrupt ending after 3-4 hours of play.
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    As one of the most unique puzzlers that I've played over the years, Limbo's chilling atmosphere is an example of an incredible gaming achievement.
  3. But that doesn't stop LIMBO being an entirely worthwhile experience, drenched in misery, pathos and loneliness. It's also really bloody scary.