8.4

1. Aug 10, 2017
    LIMBO
    A dark story and challenging puzzles
    Uncertain of his sisters fate, a boy enters limbo. Limbo is a puzzle platformer where you play as this boy searching for his little sister The entire game aside from a few exceptions is black and white, this makes for some really great moments in the beginning of limbo as its hard to tell whats a trap or enemy and what isn’t.. this keeps you
    LIMBO
    A dark story and challenging puzzles
    Uncertain of his sisters fate, a boy enters limbo.
    this keeps you on your toes and suspicious of everything…
    These initial moments of this little less than 4 hour journey for me was my favorite..
    The game is very much a game of trial and error, and the game is generous with its checkpoints being nearly instantaneous.. knowing where youre going to mess up and most of the time having an instant spot for you to try again keeping this games momentum steady…
    After these initial moments of dealing with traps and a giant spider, the game slowly starts to be more puzzle focused and this is where I started to fall out of love with this game…
    Not that the puzzles are bad, im just not a huge fan of problem solving while im platforming and looking out for suspicious shadows..
    Youll be pulling boxes, throwing switches, and timing jumps and other buttons to progress through the game..
    I found a lot of these puzzles to be decently challenging, though none too complicated or having too many steps… but a few definitely did come close… and I may or may not have had to look the answer up for a couple..
    with so many limbo clones out there now, going back to play limbo and playing through these puzzles is a bit of a drag because ive seen them so many times now…
    I would’ve preferred if the whole game was like the first few chapters of deception…
    I felt there was something really special there. It kept me hooked and intrigued hoping for more moments like this later on, but sadly they never came
    Personal preferences aside, limbo is a very erie and dark game, youll die gruesome deaths,
    the game will disturb you and turn your stomach at times…
    and it will get your mind going…
    both for the puzzles and trying to figure out just exactly whats going on with the story…
    even with the dozens of clones out there, limbo stands out as something special and unique..
    one of the most enjoyable and unsettling puzzle platforming games ive played
    I give limbo
    an 8/10
  2. Dec 8, 2016
    Limbo is one of the most beautiful, dark, and mesmerizing games i have played. The art direction is dark and gritty, the atmosphere is strong, the puzzles and encounters are fun and scary to traverse through, and the tension grabs you in the beginning and builds it up throughout the entire game, releasing in one big sigh at the climax. I'll be reviewing the follow up to this game, Inside,Limbo is one of the most beautiful, dark, and mesmerizing games i have played. The art direction is dark and gritty, the atmosphere is strong, the puzzles and encounters are fun and scary to traverse through, and the tension grabs you in the beginning and builds it up throughout the entire game, releasing in one big sigh at the climax. I'll be reviewing the follow up to this game, Inside, once I've completed it. Go out and buy this masterpiece Limbo ASAP. Expand
  3. Oct 11, 2016
    One of the best indie games I played. I rate it for what it is - excellent puzzle platformer with unique graphics and atmosphere. Id love to see more games with so much soul as in this one.
  4. Sep 26, 2016
    Beautifully haunting best describes this fairly low budget and short lived indie side scroll puzzler. A simple but artistic world shaded in only black and white might not sound too appealing but boy is this game gorgeous. The game is simple, start left and move right until the end is reached (which should take under 2 hours all in all). Along the way are puzzles, traps, swings, spikes,Beautifully haunting best describes this fairly low budget and short lived indie side scroll puzzler. A simple but artistic world shaded in only black and white might not sound too appealing but boy is this game gorgeous. The game is simple, start left and move right until the end is reached (which should take under 2 hours all in all). Along the way are puzzles, traps, swings, spikes, pits, boulders and giant spiders. Most of the time you will just die without realising you were in the middle of a puzzle but since the respawn points are every couple of minutes, you wont mind going back and using your new found knowledge to tackle the obstacle ahead. As for the ending, well its near enough the most perfect ending there is. You will definitely be straight on Google afterwards trying to understand your take on the situation. Fantastic game design. Expand
  5. Jan 17, 2015
    Sí, es corto...¿Y qué? Este juego está hecho como se deberían hacer todos; o sea, con una auténtica variedad en su desarrollo y no repitiendo esquemas jugables (así cualquiera hace un juego largo). Da sensación de aventura pero no tiene una sola línea de guión ¡ Así da gusto ! Y mantiene una mediana dificultad durante todo el juego ¡ Los de Playdead son unos maravillosos perfeccionistas !Sí, es corto...¿Y qué? Este juego está hecho como se deberían hacer todos; o sea, con una auténtica variedad en su desarrollo y no repitiendo esquemas jugables (así cualquiera hace un juego largo). Da sensación de aventura pero no tiene una sola línea de guión ¡ Así da gusto ! Y mantiene una mediana dificultad durante todo el juego ¡ Los de Playdead son unos maravillosos perfeccionistas ! Una superjoya indie a la que algunos memos se empeñan en no poner a la altura de las mejores. Expand
  6. Jan 7, 2015
    Limbo exemplifies so much of what I value most in a successful videogame. Fundamentally a puzzle-platformer with really only two possible actions (jump and grab), the game is beautifully uncomplicated and uncluttered by extraneous nonsense.

It's a design philosophy which extends to the plot. Open-ended and shrouded in mystery, the only official backstory given is the single sentence: "Uncertain of his sister's fate, a boy enters LIMBO". Yet, the experience is so much more compelling, memorable and moving than the vast majority of other games with their intricately thought-out and scripted stories. This is partly down to the monochrome art style and ambient sound design which define an atmosphere the likes of which you would never have imagined a 2D platformer would be able to foster, but also because it lets you, the player, fill in the blanks to let the game affect you in whatever way you interpret it. As a result, it's a deeply personal experience.

The puzzles that the boy has to overcome are more cunning than you might expect for those that lie within the parameters of the game's elementary structure, and usually timing is of critical importance. This invariably means numerous deaths as you try to perfect your response to each situation. Far from being a flaw, this is intended design. Indeed, the creators have labelled Limbo as a "trial and death" game. The forgiving frequency of checkpoints and the delightfully gruesome nature of the boy's deaths are testament to this. The ultimate challenge offered is to finish the game without dying, thereby attaining the elusive 111% leaderboard score, and in order to get anywhere near accomplishing this feat you will need repeated playthroughs in a short space of time, reminiscent of the spirit of 2D shoot 'em ups.

The game is short, but of perfect length - if it had been any longer it might have been in danger of outstaying its welcome. However, it concludes on a high, following the thrilling instability of an alternating gravity section, and in ending it at this point Playdead illustrated total mastery over their creation. In almost all aspects, Limbo is the videogame embodiment of "less is more".
  7. Dec 9, 2014
    X-Box One version: Awesome little platformer that tells its story in a unusual art-house way. The game has some challenging moments, but in general, it is balanced very well. The monotone nature blended with the soundtrack makes for a very immersive game; kind of a grim fairy-tale. Really was impressed with this, albeit a little short. Worthy 8/10 for me.
  8. May 9, 2014
    Superb atmosphere. Creepier than any Resident Evil put out in the last decade, but so is Sim City and Nintendogs I guess. At any rate, I give this trial and error platforming puzzler a couple of thumbs up.
  9. Jul 28, 2013
    Ever wondered what it be like to go through purgatory? The developers at Playdead do a very impressive job at making an eerie black-and-white visual design of what purgatory may very well be like. You play as a young boy, and what a very courageous little boy he is. With absolutely no way to defend yourself within this dreamland-like world, you face many opponents that are there to killEver wondered what it be like to go through purgatory? The developers at Playdead do a very impressive job at making an eerie black-and-white visual design of what purgatory may very well be like. You play as a young boy, and what a very courageous little boy he is. With absolutely no way to defend yourself within this dreamland-like world, you face many opponents that are there to kill you. With smarts and courage, that little boy can get away without one single scratch. You'll face hostile natives, an assortment of traps and other deadly creatures.

The developers really suck you into this game. Between the gorgeous 2D side-scrolling black-and-white action, the sound effects, and an amazing sounding musical score, you just can't put down the game. There are a lot of puzzles, which will also get you real involved in the game. Some puzzles are really simple, but then later in the game you'll encounter harder and more complex puzzles. Some puzzles you can take your time on, but other are timed and everything must be done perfectly or you'll have to face the consequences.

Limbo is a well-designed, visually astounding game with amazing sound and a down right impressive musical score. But sadly, however, as you get real into the game, it abruptly ends and all you can say is "I want more!" So hopefully the developers at Playdead hear our plea for another installment for this awesome and involving game.
  10. Jun 25, 2013
    Simple yet challenging, immersive, beautiful, engaging, atmospheric. Limbo is a highly artistic, black and white, water color themed side scroller puzzle game. In essence Limbo is post modern, allowing the player to draw their own meaning upon completion. Extremely minimalistic, from gameplay mechanics to the soundtrack. In Limbo, less is more. The soundtrack, if you can call it that,Simple yet challenging, immersive, beautiful, engaging, atmospheric. Limbo is a highly artistic, black and white, water color themed side scroller puzzle game. In essence Limbo is post modern, allowing the player to draw their own meaning upon completion. Extremely minimalistic, from gameplay mechanics to the soundtrack. In Limbo, less is more. The soundtrack, if you can call it that, practically contains no "music" at all, more like ambient sounds and at certain parts, rising, edgy, huge, chords. If you can imagine what sound saturn emits or maybe mars or even a black hole, then you can imagine how this awesome soundtrack sounds at times. Be sure to play this one with the lights off in the dark with no distractions. A perfect game 10/10. Must play. Expand
  11. Feb 28, 2013
    This is a fantastic first outing for Playdead. The world is dark and grisly and there is no dialogue and no story other than what is given you in the game's initial description--and yet it's been a long time since I've played a game that feels so alive. The runtime is regrettably short, however, and this causes the world of Limbo to leave much too soon. It will take many attempts on theseThis is a fantastic first outing for Playdead. The world is dark and grisly and there is no dialogue and no story other than what is given you in the game's initial description--and yet it's been a long time since I've played a game that feels so alive. The runtime is regrettably short, however, and this causes the world of Limbo to leave much too soon. It will take many attempts on these puzzles, but every success is a big one and by the game's finish, you feel like you've accomplished something of substance. This is a work of art. Expand
  12. Feb 8, 2013
    This is a great game while it lasts. It was super fun to beat it with zero deaths. The hidden eggs are all really cool as well. I love the atmosphere of this game.
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    The game had a amazing art style and great puzzles which were hard however with regular check points i never got annoyed playing Limbo. The game was a bit short i managed to finish it is around 4-5 hours and i'm not very good at puzzle games however for the money it is wroth it!
  14. Nov 1, 2012
    Limbo is an amazing game in both art and game play, the creative visual solutions and sound design makes for a wonderfully eerie atmosphere that most games fail at even coming close - Overall it's incredibly alluring for a game so void of dialogue and direct story, the visual storytelling is fantastic.
  15. Jun 16, 2012
    A very beautiful game, with a hint of something very dark. Honestly, a lot of what I remember is the art direction. Probably not the most difficult game I've ever played, but it kept my interest and was almost like watching a slower art movie rather than playing a game--which was something I appreciated but might not have been for everyone.
  16. Jun 10, 2012
    A incredible innovative platform game. I really got scary in certain moments of the game, and puzzles are hell of a challenge. But sometimes, the game mechanics are imprecise...
  17. Feb 24, 2012
    Most of the critics for LIMBO come right to the point that it is short. Of course, compared with open-world games released everyday in which you can spend hundreds of hours in, LIMBO is short, it will take you 3-5 hours in the first time and 2 in further times. But, the hours you spend with LIMBO are fantastic. The game has one of the best art directions ever seen, with a innovative way ofMost of the critics for LIMBO come right to the point that it is short. Of course, compared with open-world games released everyday in which you can spend hundreds of hours in, LIMBO is short, it will take you 3-5 hours in the first time and 2 in further times. But, the hours you spend with LIMBO are fantastic. The game has one of the best art directions ever seen, with a innovative way of telling the story. The character doesn't speak one word, but you get attached to him in the first minutes. LIMBO's puzzles are incredibly clever, not very hard at most times, but after solving them you will probably be like "oooooh, I'm so stupid", because they are just simple and intelligent. So, altough LIMBO is short, it gets a 10, because it is innovative, beautiful, clever and overall one of the best experiences you can have. Expand
  18. Feb 22, 2012
    The most atmospheric and wonderfully puzzling game on XBLA. The art direction is superb and adds to the story, gameplay and the world itself. The price is a bit steep for a game with little replay value.
  19. Jan 22, 2012
    Limbo is one of those games that you can't really resist, even with the quite high price point. Made by Playdead, the game tries to implement puzzle into the side scrolling genre of games and does it very well. Personally it has an art style that you can die for, it's something unique and definitely drew me into the experience. The puzzles can be quite challenging as they often involveLimbo is one of those games that you can't really resist, even with the quite high price point. Made by Playdead, the game tries to implement puzzle into the side scrolling genre of games and does it very well. Personally it has an art style that you can die for, it's something unique and definitely drew me into the experience. The puzzles can be quite challenging as they often involve quick reactions as waters continues to rise as you move things out of the way in order for a certain object to float. Or something quite simple like moving an object on top of another in order to continue. The puzzles are nice and varied and you don't feel like you do the same puzzle twice (unless you die). The environments that you are in do change nicely, once in the forest then you go into more of an urban environment. The game looks beautiful, and there is no denying how well the execution has done. The verdict: If you have some spare Microsoft points lying around then get it; however the only draw back is how long the game actually is, coming in at about 4-5 hours (depending on your skill of solving puzzles) the price is really steep. But this is one game worth playing. Expand
  20. Dec 21, 2011
    Without a single word of dialogue and hardly any sound or assistance, Limbo captures me instantly and takes me on a journey through the dark, in hope of finding some light at the end. With clever puzzles supported by simplistic controls, this game lets you focus on the task at hand, and is a dark beauty with an atmosphere unlike anything else.
  21. Nov 28, 2011
    Loved the atmosphere and the puzzles were definitely fun. At 3 hours playtime it won't take much of your time (you're busy after all), and at 2.5$ it's quite the bargain (also gives that immense satisfaction of supporting indie game developers).
  22. Nov 27, 2011
    LIMBO is one of my favourite games I have ever played. It convinced me that artistic expression can be found in video games. The stand out factor of this game is no doubt the dark, eerie aesthetic. The game has a unique look and feel that has yet to have been used in other games. The puzzles are challenging, but not too hard and eventually you will make it through. My only downside of thisLIMBO is one of my favourite games I have ever played. It convinced me that artistic expression can be found in video games. The stand out factor of this game is no doubt the dark, eerie aesthetic. The game has a unique look and feel that has yet to have been used in other games. The puzzles are challenging, but not too hard and eventually you will make it through. My only downside of this was the length, however I feel that LIMBO is a concept game, similar to the first Portal game. It is a breakthrough in gaming, however there is a lot left to explore and I hope there are plans to make more LIMBO. Expand
  23. Nov 22, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game. There hasn't been a game in black in white that I really love that I can truly remember. The gameplay was difficult but rewarding, and who can forget that spider? Scary!
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    Innovation at its best. Top notch gameplay feel. Amazing sound and visuals. Mastered ambiance. Anyone who cannot appreciate this game's genius is simply blind.
  25. Nov 9, 2011
    One of the most visually impressive games ever. It's crazy to think that something in black and white could be so fascinating! Definitely recommended for those skeptical on the best XBLA has to offer.
  26. Sep 7, 2011
    I love this game so much! Its dark surreal environments coupled withheld the eerie atmospheric sound effects make for a highly enjoyable experience. my only complaint is that its too short;you can get a through it in about an hour. After I finises playing though I started it over again. Definitely worth the $15.
  27. Aug 26, 2011
    It's one of the best arcade games I've ever bought. It's wrong to say it's too short because it's full of traps and enigmas that sometimes take a lot of time to be solved. I suggest to buy it to everyone who wants a real challenge and likes puzzle games!
  28. Aug 7, 2011
    Turning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found inTurning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found in Limbo. Less can be more which is a lesson that the rest of the industry should learn. Recommended. Expand
  29. Aug 6, 2011
    LIMBO is a atmospheric puzzle platformer so much filled with challenging puzzles that had me stumped for a while to solve. I really enjoyed the immersive and eerie experience this game provided. It's a real shame that it ended so soon (4 hours). I commend the developers for developing a game that EVERYONE can play (I'm hearing impaired). No dialog is played at all, just the beautiful musicLIMBO is a atmospheric puzzle platformer so much filled with challenging puzzles that had me stumped for a while to solve. I really enjoyed the immersive and eerie experience this game provided. It's a real shame that it ended so soon (4 hours). I commend the developers for developing a game that EVERYONE can play (I'm hearing impaired). No dialog is played at all, just the beautiful music that play in snyc with the emotion and environments of the game.

This is a game that I will pick my controller up and play again and again. I recommend this game to anyone who love puzzle platformers.
  30. Jul 25, 2011
    Almost prefect, no other developer in history had simple but big ideas to invent an masterpiece. limbo's puzzles are incredible, hours of discovering and exploring this world is the set piece. The atmosphere plays like no other game, you can even compare it to Dead Space, Fear or even the Silent Hill games, bone chilling experience. Black and White graphics make it original andAlmost prefect, no other developer in history had simple but big ideas to invent an masterpiece. limbo's puzzles are incredible, hours of discovering and exploring this world is the set piece. The atmosphere plays like no other game, you can even compare it to Dead Space, Fear or even the Silent Hill games, bone chilling experience. Black and White graphics make it original and incomparable to all the games. Expand

1. Jan 18, 2011
    There is a wonderful minimalism about the whole experience, from start to finish, which includes the relatively abrupt ending after 3-4 hours of play.
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    As one of the most unique puzzlers that I've played over the years, Limbo's chilling atmosphere is an example of an incredible gaming achievement.
  3. But that doesn't stop LIMBO being an entirely worthwhile experience, drenched in misery, pathos and loneliness. It's also really bloody scary.