8.4

1. Feb 27, 2013
    Solid, if unremarkable, platforming action combined with some of the most striking visuals combine to make yet another Xbox Live title more than worth the price of a download.
  2. May 27, 2012
    A good unique game, a bit short though.
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    Almost prefect, no other developer in history had simple but big ideas to invent an masterpiece. limbo's puzzles are incredible, hours of discovering and exploring this world is the set piece. The atmosphere plays like no other game, you can even compare it to Dead Space, Fear or even the Silent Hill games, bone chilling experience. Black and White graphics make it original andAlmost prefect, no other developer in history had simple but big ideas to invent an masterpiece. limbo's puzzles are incredible, hours of discovering and exploring this world is the set piece. The atmosphere plays like no other game, you can even compare it to Dead Space, Fear or even the Silent Hill games, bone chilling experience. Black and White graphics make it original and incomparable to all the games. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2016
    Limbo is one of the most beautiful, dark, and mesmerizing games i have played. The art direction is dark and gritty, the atmosphere is strong, the puzzles and encounters are fun and scary to traverse through, and the tension grabs you in the beginning and builds it up throughout the entire game, releasing in one big sigh at the climax. I'll be reviewing the follow up to this game, Inside,Limbo is one of the most beautiful, dark, and mesmerizing games i have played. The art direction is dark and gritty, the atmosphere is strong, the puzzles and encounters are fun and scary to traverse through, and the tension grabs you in the beginning and builds it up throughout the entire game, releasing in one big sigh at the climax. I'll be reviewing the follow up to this game, Inside, once I've completed it. Go out and buy this masterpiece Limbo ASAP. Expand
  5. Aug 7, 2011
    Turning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found inTurning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found in Limbo. Less can be more which is a lesson that the rest of the industry should learn. Recommended. Expand
  6. Feb 22, 2012
    The most atmospheric and wonderfully puzzling game on XBLA. The art direction is superb and adds to the story, gameplay and the world itself. The price is a bit steep for a game with little replay value.
  7. Oct 11, 2016
    One of the best indie games I played. I rate it for what it is - excellent puzzle platformer with unique graphics and atmosphere. Id love to see more games with so much soul as in this one.
  8. Dec 8, 2012
    The game had a amazing art style and great puzzles which were hard however with regular check points i never got annoyed playing Limbo. The game was a bit short i managed to finish it is around 4-5 hours and i'm not very good at puzzle games however for the money it is wroth it!
  9. May 9, 2014
    Superb atmosphere. Creepier than any Resident Evil put out in the last decade, but so is Sim City and Nintendogs I guess. At any rate, I give this trial and error platforming puzzler a couple of thumbs up.
  10. Aug 26, 2011
    Limbo is a dark and scary game from play dead studios. A boys sister has been captured by some weirdos and uncertain of her fate he enters LIMBO. The story isnt fantastic but you play this game for the puzzles. It looks fantastic the darkness and silhouette style is great. The sound off just rushing wind and that slight piano playing makes it sound great too. The puzzles are unique andLimbo is a dark and scary game from play dead studios. A boys sister has been captured by some weirdos and uncertain of her fate he enters LIMBO. The story isnt fantastic but you play this game for the puzzles. It looks fantastic the darkness and silhouette style is great. The sound off just rushing wind and that slight piano playing makes it sound great too. The puzzles are unique and each failed attempt at a puzzle sees the boy get slaughtered . Overall it's a unique creepy little game i'll give it a 7.5 The review will be on my blog at http://maximalistgtg.blogspot.com/2011/08/limbo.html Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2010
    It's good, albeit really short, difficult and lacking a good soundtrack. Basically all you do is run, jump and die (A LOT). The only thing the game needs is a hint system, games are allowed to be challenging, but I'm clearly not the brightest person and some puzzles had me going to the internet to figure out. For a simple game, it's way too short. Not worth the current price (1200MSIt's good, albeit really short, difficult and lacking a good soundtrack. Basically all you do is run, jump and die (A LOT). The only thing the game needs is a hint system, games are allowed to be challenging, but I'm clearly not the brightest person and some puzzles had me going to the internet to figure out. For a simple game, it's way too short. Not worth the current price (1200MS points). I'd say just wait for it to be cheaper, you're not missing much even though the critics are treating this game like the god of XBLA. It's nothing compared to games like Scott Pilgrim or Shadow Complex. Expand
  12. Sep 21, 2010
    Very well-made game. Simple and effective. A bit short for the price though, but the brevity makes multiple playthroughs a little easier to manage. The game is very dark, a bit creepy, and has a bit of a sick sense of humor in the ways you can die. A very enjoyable experience though. If you have the money and want something new, get this game.
  13. Jun 10, 2012
    A incredible innovative platform game. I really got scary in certain moments of the game, and puzzles are hell of a challenge. But sometimes, the game mechanics are imprecise...
  14. Mar 3, 2011
    Horror at it's best.
    The game is so cliqued yet so beautifully executed that you just ignore the clique's.
    Oh, and did I mention the game was as subtle and scary as **** Yeah, have fun pissing your pant's.
    However it's hard to distuinguishe a trap untill your amputated head is rolling into a pit.
  15. Aug 31, 2010
    Hands down this is the best arcade game I've ever played. These XBOX doozies are getting better and better, and this should be a model for what's to come in the near and far future. It's a quick little game but it has immense replay value. Definitely check it out.
  16. Dec 21, 2011
    Without a single word of dialogue and hardly any sound or assistance, Limbo captures me instantly and takes me on a journey through the dark, in hope of finding some light at the end. With clever puzzles supported by simplistic controls, this game lets you focus on the task at hand, and is a dark beauty with an atmosphere unlike anything else.
  17. Oct 25, 2010
    LIMBO is a game that reminds you that simplicity can be the best characteristic of a video game. The art scheme takes LIMBO to a level that, to me, has become a cult following; a cult following I have been happily pulled in to. The game is short, but sweet, and can be difficult at parts. It takes a lot of deep thinking, and that's what makes LIMBO a blast. The physics are spot on, theLIMBO is a game that reminds you that simplicity can be the best characteristic of a video game. The art scheme takes LIMBO to a level that, to me, has become a cult following; a cult following I have been happily pulled in to. The game is short, but sweet, and can be difficult at parts. It takes a lot of deep thinking, and that's what makes LIMBO a blast. The physics are spot on, the ambience is creepy, and I never died once because of the games design. 10/10 Expand
  18. Aug 6, 2011
    LIMBO is a atmospheric puzzle platformer so much filled with challenging puzzles that had me stumped for a while to solve. I really enjoyed the immersive and eerie experience this game provided. It's a real shame that it ended so soon (4 hours). I commend the developers for developing a game that EVERYONE can play (I'm hearing impaired). No dialog is played at all, just the beautiful musicLIMBO is a atmospheric puzzle platformer so much filled with challenging puzzles that had me stumped for a while to solve. I really enjoyed the immersive and eerie experience this game provided. It's a real shame that it ended so soon (4 hours). I commend the developers for developing a game that EVERYONE can play (I'm hearing impaired). No dialog is played at all, just the beautiful music that play in snyc with the emotion and environments of the game.

This is a game that I will pick my controller up and play again and again. I recommend this game to anyone who love puzzle platformers.
  19. Dec 11, 2012
    Why!? I wanted to love limbo like I do so many games, and really like to art and style of it, But after beating it in under 4 hours couldn't help but feel I lost 15 bucks. Now had I only paid like 6-9 dollars I might have felt better, but this game is too short. It started off really good, and had some really neat ideas but in the end the game was too short which is the same complaint IWhy!? I wanted to love limbo like I do so many games, and really like to art and style of it, But after beating it in under 4 hours couldn't help but feel I lost 15 bucks. Now had I only paid like 6-9 dollars I might have felt better, but this game is too short. It started off really good, and had some really neat ideas but in the end the game was too short which is the same complaint I have for any other game like this, journey. Anyways there was one part were the puzzle seemed to not make any sense and it was almost frustrating but I figured it out, which didn't give me near the accomplishment that I felt with Braid and Portal. Don't know why that is? Good game, but if your price sensitive wait for a good deal to play it. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2012
    Most of the critics for LIMBO come right to the point that it is short. Of course, compared with open-world games released everyday in which you can spend hundreds of hours in, LIMBO is short, it will take you 3-5 hours in the first time and 2 in further times. But, the hours you spend with LIMBO are fantastic. The game has one of the best art directions ever seen, with a innovative way ofMost of the critics for LIMBO come right to the point that it is short. Of course, compared with open-world games released everyday in which you can spend hundreds of hours in, LIMBO is short, it will take you 3-5 hours in the first time and 2 in further times. But, the hours you spend with LIMBO are fantastic. The game has one of the best art directions ever seen, with a innovative way of telling the story. The character doesn't speak one word, but you get attached to him in the first minutes. LIMBO's puzzles are incredibly clever, not very hard at most times, but after solving them you will probably be like "oooooh, I'm so stupid", because they are just simple and intelligent. So, altough LIMBO is short, it gets a 10, because it is innovative, beautiful, clever and overall one of the best experiences you can have. Expand
  21. Jul 18, 2013
    Good concept and smooth gameplay. I enjoyed the secrets in the game and most of the puzzles. While it starts down a story path using environment and character elements, it nevers ventures past the superficial, missing out on something great. In the end, you might feel you traded places with your character.
  22. Feb 8, 2013
    This is a great game while it lasts. It was super fun to beat it with zero deaths. The hidden eggs are all really cool as well. I love the atmosphere of this game.
  23. Aug 4, 2011
    I appreciate the art direction, but only at first. There's simply not enough content in this game. The slow pacing drags the already seemingly uninspired direction into a lethargic territory. I would not recommend it (it's short, too).
  24. Jan 7, 2015
    Limbo exemplifies so much of what I value most in a successful videogame. Fundamentally a puzzle-platformer with really only two possible actions (jump and grab), the game is beautifully uncomplicated and uncluttered by extraneous nonsense.

It's a design philosophy which extends to the plot. Open-ended and shrouded in mystery, the only official backstory given is the single sentence: "Uncertain of his sister's fate, a boy enters LIMBO". Yet, the experience is so much more compelling, memorable and moving than the vast majority of other games with their intricately thought-out and scripted stories. This is partly down to the monochrome art style and ambient sound design which define an atmosphere the likes of which you would never have imagined a 2D platformer would be able to foster, but also because it lets you, the player, fill in the blanks to let the game affect you in whatever way you interpret it. As a result, it's a deeply personal experience.

The puzzles that the boy has to overcome are more cunning than you might expect for those that lie within the parameters of the game's elementary structure, and usually timing is of critical importance. This invariably means numerous deaths as you try to perfect your response to each situation. Far from being a flaw, this is intended design. Indeed, the creators have labelled Limbo as a "trial and death" game. The forgiving frequency of checkpoints and the delightfully gruesome nature of the boy's deaths are testament to this. The ultimate challenge offered is to finish the game without dying, thereby attaining the elusive 111% leaderboard score, and in order to get anywhere near accomplishing this feat you will need repeated playthroughs in a short space of time, reminiscent of the spirit of 2D shoot 'em ups.

The game is short, but of perfect length - if it had been any longer it might have been in danger of outstaying its welcome. However, it concludes on a high, following the thrilling instability of an alternating gravity section, and in ending it at this point Playdead illustrated total mastery over their creation. In almost all aspects, Limbo is the videogame embodiment of "less is more".
  25. Sep 26, 2016
    Beautifully haunting best describes this fairly low budget and short lived indie side scroll puzzler. A simple but artistic world shaded in only black and white might not sound too appealing but boy is this game gorgeous. The game is simple, start left and move right until the end is reached (which should take under 2 hours all in all). Along the way are puzzles, traps, swings, spikes,Beautifully haunting best describes this fairly low budget and short lived indie side scroll puzzler. A simple but artistic world shaded in only black and white might not sound too appealing but boy is this game gorgeous. The game is simple, start left and move right until the end is reached (which should take under 2 hours all in all). Along the way are puzzles, traps, swings, spikes, pits, boulders and giant spiders. Most of the time you will just die without realising you were in the middle of a puzzle but since the respawn points are every couple of minutes, you wont mind going back and using your new found knowledge to tackle the obstacle ahead. As for the ending, well its near enough the most perfect ending there is. You will definitely be straight on Google afterwards trying to understand your take on the situation. Fantastic game design. Expand
  26. Nov 1, 2012
    Limbo is an amazing game in both art and game play, the creative visual solutions and sound design makes for a wonderfully eerie atmosphere that most games fail at even coming close - Overall it's incredibly alluring for a game so void of dialogue and direct story, the visual storytelling is fantastic.
  27. Dec 9, 2014
    X-Box One version: Awesome little platformer that tells its story in a unusual art-house way. The game has some challenging moments, but in general, it is balanced very well. The monotone nature blended with the soundtrack makes for a very immersive game; kind of a grim fairy-tale. Really was impressed with this, albeit a little short. Worthy 8/10 for me.
  28. Apr 1, 2011
    I really wanted to love this game. The art direction is fantastic, the atmosphere is consuming, and the spider is scary as hell. Unfortunately, the game's puzzles and platforming bits are almost entirely guess-and-check (the black and white coloring does not help). Which means enjoy dying countless deaths due to poor game design.
  29. Sep 20, 2010
    Beautiful. Just beautiful. If you're a fan of anything dark, twisted, puzzling, creative, and actually scary at times (something rare in today's games) then this is not one to pass up. A second play through probably won't give you that initial thrill that you should feel the first time, and the entire game can be completed in just a few hours, but those are the only things that you canBeautiful. Just beautiful. If you're a fan of anything dark, twisted, puzzling, creative, and actually scary at times (something rare in today's games) then this is not one to pass up. A second play through probably won't give you that initial thrill that you should feel the first time, and the entire game can be completed in just a few hours, but those are the only things that you can even consider flaws. As far as downloadable games go, it's nearly impossible to top. Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2015
    Sí, es corto...¿Y qué? Este juego está hecho como se deberían hacer todos; o sea, con una auténtica variedad en su desarrollo y no repitiendo esquemas jugables (así cualquiera hace un juego largo). Da sensación de aventura pero no tiene una sola línea de guión ¡ Así da gusto ! Y mantiene una mediana dificultad durante todo el juego ¡ Los de Playdead son unos maravillosos perfeccionistas !Sí, es corto...¿Y qué? Este juego está hecho como se deberían hacer todos; o sea, con una auténtica variedad en su desarrollo y no repitiendo esquemas jugables (así cualquiera hace un juego largo). Da sensación de aventura pero no tiene una sola línea de guión ¡ Así da gusto ! Y mantiene una mediana dificultad durante todo el juego ¡ Los de Playdead son unos maravillosos perfeccionistas ! Una superjoya indie a la que algunos memos se empeñan en no poner a la altura de las mejores. Expand

1. Jan 18, 2011
    There is a wonderful minimalism about the whole experience, from start to finish, which includes the relatively abrupt ending after 3-4 hours of play.
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    As one of the most unique puzzlers that I've played over the years, Limbo's chilling atmosphere is an example of an incredible gaming achievement.
  3. But that doesn't stop LIMBO being an entirely worthwhile experience, drenched in misery, pathos and loneliness. It's also really bloody scary.