Lips Xbox 360

7.4

1. MarkTaylor
    Nov 21, 2008
    So Lips is rather disappointing:

Negatives 1. The game slows down when playing. Ridiculous bug. 2. You don't seem to be able to login under multiple Live accounts, meaning that all the achievements, even with different singers, go under the one Live account. I can't believe it was designed like this. 3. Other than the Jukebox there doesn't appear to be a
    So Lips is rather disappointing:

Negatives

1. The game slows down when playing. Ridiculous bug.

3. Other than the Jukebox there doesn't appear to be a multiplayer (more than 2) mode, or any other type of more complex game to play with the songs. Again, I can't believe it was designed like this, when this is a key feature and positive of SingStar.

4. The game is far too easy, and says off key tones are correct, as if they were on key. Also for rapping you just need to sing a constant note and you get the top score!

5. The ranking system seems daft, particularly when other singers cause your profile to move up the ranks. See 2. I guess.

6. One of my microphones doesn't have any lights that come on during the videos, whereas the other does. It works for everything else, and the green lights come on when I connect to the Xbox. Presumably it's broken.

7. The instrument shakers are pointless, distracting from the singing, and they just sound crap.

8. The movements you have to perform are irritating, and again just get in the way of the song.

Positives

1. The lights on the microphones are cute.

2. Wireless microphones are great.

3. There's a reasonable song choice with the game, for me at least.

4. Great if you just want to sing with yourself, and are tone deaf.

Summary: Don't bother and buy SingStar, although you're screwed if you don't have a PS2/3.*

Although I sincerely hope I'm wrong with some or all of this.

1. As it stands, Lips is a solid purchase for anyone looking for a karaoke title, but you will be hoping for a sequel next holiday season.
  2. Edge Magazine
    It’s hard to fault Lips for trying something different, even if it’s just a little. [Jan 2009, p.91]
    Lips sets out to take the karaoke genre by storm, but ultimately doesn't hit the high notes thanks to a lacklustre single-player affair, lack of online options and a meagre track list.