7.2

1. BenG.
    Mar 28, 2007
    Lost Planet is more drab, slow, mundane, and shallow than any other shooter I've played. The graphics are very nice, but don't dare make the mistake of believing that Lost Planet is worthy of a comparison to games like Gears of War.
  2. Feb 13, 2012
    This game is extremly bad. It's unrefined and it's by my opinion, the definition of bad and frustrating gameplay; in a landscape of only snow and boring combat, this game really stands out in the crowd. No time for exploration and no freedom what so ever.
  3. JakeB.
    Feb 1, 2007
    Sure, everything looks great. But I can't enjoy the freaking game if I can't play. I need a southpaw option and the game just doesn't have it. What a colossal waste of time and money.
  4. CharlesM.
    Jun 6, 2009
    Unfortunately, as with so many games developed in Japan, the complete lack of balance in boss battles ruins this game. It's not just the difficulty level, it's the hackneyed cheap trick of creating the illusion of challenge by removing any control of the player character for 95% of the battle while the game beats up on you at will. In boss battles, don't be surprised to see Unfortunately, as with so many games developed in Japan, the complete lack of balance in boss battles ruins this game. It's not just the difficulty level, it's the hackneyed cheap trick of creating the illusion of challenge by removing any control of the player character for 95% of the battle while the game beats up on you at will. In boss battles, don't be surprised to see hundreds of Mission Failed screens while exercising control over your character for mere seconds at a time. I finished it, but have no intention of ever going near this poor excuse for design ever again. Expand
  5. JaneA.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Only two stretches, snow covered capes and underground caverns. Just like gears-of-war, this game falls short in attempts to deliver a wholesome view of a planet on the whole. In gears-of-war there were only techno-cities and caves being the major canvas and in lost-planet its snow-towns and caverns. Where are those beaches, forests, deserts ans swamps that are integral to the display of Only two stretches, snow covered capes and underground caverns. Just like gears-of-war, this game falls short in attempts to deliver a wholesome view of a planet on the whole. In gears-of-war there were only techno-cities and caves being the major canvas and in lost-planet its snow-towns and caverns. Where are those beaches, forests, deserts ans swamps that are integral to the display of a planet where a story has to establish ? Expand
  6. MarkB.
    Feb 14, 2007
    For 59 bucks for this game I feel ripped off. too short. I'd make this one a rental.
  7. JimC.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Its not up to my expectations. I had trouble with the controls and responsiveness. graphics are fair, but not the best ive seen on 360
  8. HeinrichN.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Hi all. I bought this game for 600 rand and it lasted me one day. Surely they should have made it longer lasting. The graphics are awesome and the explosions make you want blow up everything. I just wish they would have given a indication on how long the gameplay would be. I just blew 600 rand in day.
  9. StigmataJ.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Great graphics. Not the best game play. Missions are absurdly easy with bad a.i., no ability to run through lengthy segments and very hard boss fights that take too many repetitions until you win by luck.
  10. GrettS.
    Feb 3, 2007
    So, I rented this game as i do with all xbox games, cause it's pretty much hit and miss when it comes to good games, and i can say I'm happy i rented this one. The game play is repetitive, the dumbest AI ever, i mean, it was like i was getting a flashback to the late 90's where AI stood there and let you shoot them and didn't anything more intelligent then duck every So, I rented this game as i do with all xbox games, cause it's pretty much hit and miss when it comes to good games, and i can say I'm happy i rented this one. The game play is repetitive, the dumbest AI ever, i mean, it was like i was getting a flashback to the late 90's where AI stood there and let you shoot them and didn't anything more intelligent then duck every now and then, wait that is what this AI does, YIPEE! i guess the game designers decided to make up for the lame AI and fall back to the traditional tride and true method of boring gamers by throwing mass's of enemies at them. Yeah, just what i want from a next generation game, old style but mashing, mind numbing old school tactics. Playing a button mashing game is alright if you have maybe 3 or 4 bosses througout the game, but every time you turn a corner you've got another button mashing no skill boss to kill, i mean BORING !!!. A good game is not, in my opinion, throw as many boss's and enemis at a player as possible, but cut the amount of bad guys in half and make them more challenging. Unfortunately, the cool concepts, and good graphics (COD3 is better) in the game are out weighed by the button mashing, dumb boring AI ,over kill on the boss's and the overall repetive boring game play. The story is kind of interesting, but nothing to write home aobut. As for online, it sucks. the only reason to buy a game, i figure, is if it has awesome on line play. The campaign can be average, but hey, we all want to be able to take our skill and pit it against other people, in as close to realistic settings as possible, did i hear someone say, blood lust lol. So, to summarize my rant, i mean opinon, this game is okay if you like button mashing, and if you have nothing to do for a few hours on a saturday. DON'T BUY IT, RENT IT. YOU'LL BE HAPPY YOU DID Expand
  11. TerryS.
    Jan 16, 2007
    This game did not live up to expectations for me. I'd reccomend a pass. Nothing special.
  12. JackF.
    Feb 23, 2007
    Try as I may, I just cant seem to get over some of the shortcomings of this game. It shines in some areas and falls short in others. But ultimately, I classify this as failing to live up to my expectations.
  13. nikephoros
    Mar 17, 2008
    This game's sins were far greater than its virtues. Positive Aspects: I really liked its premise (human survival on a science fiction ice world), the captivating environment (beautiful art and decent sound), and the time pressure (player has to constantly replenish thermal energy during game play or his character will die). Neutral Aspects: I was ambivalent about the shooter/mech This game's sins were far greater than its virtues. Positive Aspects: I really liked its premise (human survival on a science fiction ice world), the captivating environment (beautiful art and decent sound), and the time pressure (player has to constantly replenish thermal energy during game play or his character will die). Neutral Aspects: I was ambivalent about the shooter/mech components of this game. They were not bad, just not necessarily better than anything that has already come out. The game has a grappling hook which I thought looked pretty cool, however except for the mountain climbing tasks, its use during game play felt superfluous (i.e. a chore/novelty). More could have been done to bring out the fun platforming potential of this device. Negative Aspects: I disliked the game due to three main issues. Issue 1 - Main character control felt really slow and sluggish. Perhaps this was by design (to capture the fact that this was a cold environment). His constant need to pause after performing controller actions (i.e. jumping or grappling), slow foot speed, and slow panning rates made some tactical situations extremely frustrating - especially when against multiple opponents or opponents who could move fast. The game uses the left and right bumpers for quick 90 degree left/right panning, but it did not feel natural to use during play. Issue 2 - Camera angles and visual cues were occasionally very poor, especially during boss fights. In some cases the view was too low and narrow such that the main character was unable get a decent visual of his opponent. This issue is magnified since many of the enemies/monsters were huge in scale. Another problem was that some of the visual cues in these fights were not clear (i.e. weak spots of big bosses) and get hidden by excessive special effects (i.e. ice, webs, smoke). Although learning how to fight and defeat a boss is part of the joy in most games, the implementation in "Lost Planet" made it a pretty frustrating trial-and-error experience. Issue 3 - Horrible plot and character development. For most shooter/action games, this probably wouldn't be a major gripe, but "Lost Planet" devotes a lot of time to the story. There were long cut scenes throughout the game and they made less sense as time went on. Character relationships and plot twists were extremely contrived and filled with non-sequiturs. What bothered me most was that the two human sides of the main conflict basically wanted the same goal (pacification of the ice world) and that their differences could largely have been resolved with a little thinking and no fighting. But to make the bad guys who they are, they had to use a method that would wipe out innocent humans (add evil laugh) Expand

1. It's straight out of 1989, and that makes it either archaic or retro-cool comfortable. With Capcom's steady attention to polish and presentation, Lost Planet falls into the latter category more often than not. And even if it's familiar, it's definitely not repetitive. [Jan 2007, p.48]
  2. Really, this is a game of strong, simple virtues: knockout action, beautiful character design, lovingly articulated models, crisp sound and overall polish. Every now and then it'll overstretch, at which point it falls. [Jan 2007, p.76]
  3. It does what it says on the tin, and delivers heart-pounding explosions, pant-wetting big alien monsters and hordes of minions to slay. If you can overlook the fact that it doesn't challenge your Xbox 360 either intellectually or technically, and you can just get down and dirty with some big guns and even bigger odds, then you and Lost Planet are going to get along just fine. [Issue 20, p.50]