7.0

1. CodyB.
    Aug 20, 2008
    I have to say that this game is broken. I would have given it a higher score for the fundamentals of the game, but we have been seeing Madden's fundamentals for 20 years now. The adaptive gameplay does not work. My passing/catch rating was high. So what does the game do to adapt to me being good in this area. It repeatedly causes me to dro WIDE OPEN passes. If my running rating is I have to say that this game is broken. I would have given it a higher score for the fundamentals of the game, but we have been seeing Madden's fundamentals for 20 years now. The adaptive gameplay does not work. My passing/catch rating was high. So what does the game do to adapt to me being good in this area. It repeatedly causes me to dro WIDE OPEN passes. If my running rating is high. The game makes my offensive line suck at blocking. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. This is the last Madden I will buy. period! Expand
  2. JonnyP.
    Aug 11, 2008
    terrible. Played it recently and very disappointing, graphics sloppy
  3. DC
    Aug 14, 2008
    With no competition left in football games the Madden series has experienced a lack of innovation and creativity. The in-game options are the usual and gameplay is dull. Two things that stick out are the bad commentary and awkward in-game camera. This game doesn't excite me the way it should
  4. FritzB.
    Aug 15, 2008
    IF you told me that this is what madden would feel like in 2004 I would have laughed. It's just not good enough, and the developer isn't talented enough to bring this franchise into the future. Time to start w/ new team and all new engine. until they do, I'll completely ignore all madden related news/games. I do think head coach is cool though.
  5. Jim
    Sep 12, 2008
    When you and your friend have more fun playing the "Madden Test" drills against each other rather than playing the actual game, does that say something about how the game plays?
  6. FredG.
    Aug 22, 2008
    I finally did the wise thing and rented the game, rather than spend nearly $60 to find I didn't like it. EA Sports really needs to hire a different development group for their football games. The Xbox games were superb. In fact, I still play Madden NFL 07 on my Xbox every day. Conversely, I can
  7. ChrisP.
    Aug 29, 2008
    Graphics are weak especially for ps3...commentary is lame... game play is frustrating. played for 8 hrs and the best play i was able to make was a 10 yrd pass. very disappointed.
  8. HenryI.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Trash, trash, trash, people need to stop supporting this crap of a game called madden. Personally, i can't wait till the day that EA Sports loses their grip on sports games and lets some competition stack up against them, but knowing the idiots that support EA Sports this won't happen. I don't understand why people buy this game year in and out, it's a damn football Trash, trash, trash, people need to stop supporting this crap of a game called madden. Personally, i can't wait till the day that EA Sports loses their grip on sports games and lets some competition stack up against them, but knowing the idiots that support EA Sports this won't happen. I don't understand why people buy this game year in and out, it's a damn football game, nothing changes except for graphics and then the fools at ea sports add a few gimmicks. The gimmick this year is the adaptability engine which is clearly broken. If you are great in running the ball, except to get nowhere in running the ball and if you are great in passing, your line won't block for you and your receivers won't catch the ball. it seems like they have taken away any kind of speed burst, thus making an already unrealistic game far more unrealistic. Every QB completes a pass or throws an int. Don't even listen to the madden fanboys, these fools aren't even true gamers since they allow themselves to let the constant lies and deception continue. What about the graphics,lol, the field never gets dirty, even when it's raining. Then there are the so called 85 new features which are mostly add ons from the previous games, now added to this yrs version. The commentary is a joke, it sounds scripted and unemotional in a game that demands the exact opposite and yet the tout this game as the greatest visual presentation, what a damn joke. The sidelines look about as dull as ever, they refuse to touch their sidelines and they won't even add an actual halftime show. It is merely a bunch of crap plays that aren't even highlight reels, one play was one where LJ ran for a mere 8 yds, hahahaha. As usual the offensive line blocking, both on passing and running, is a complete joke and yet they won't even dare fix that. To end this review, i shall simply give a word to the wise and not to the foolish ea fanboys, don't waste your cash on this game, except if you are a true football fan and tell EA Sports to shove their crappy game down their throats!!! Expand
  9. jb
    Jan 25, 2009
    09 sucks!!! I have been playing a long time and still go back to 2002. good graphics do not always = good play. Seems like people are more interested in cool looks instead of playing a good game. in past maddens I would get into the game but 09 is the most boring game I ever played. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is Madden '08 meets NFL Street. Prepare to be disappointed if your looking for the classic Madden experience.
  11. AJP.
    Aug 17, 2008
    The only reason I buy Madden is to play the superstar mode, and that has gotten even worse since last year, your player will never get the ball and when you do the camera doesn't follow you half the time, and no matter what team you play for your QB will throw at least 3 picks a game, gave it a 3 for good graphics.
  12. EugeneW.
    Aug 22, 2008
    This game fails on several levels due to many game breaking bugs and glitches in both franchise mode and online play. On franchise mode there is a game freeze bug that lockups your system. This seriously detracts from the game play.
  13. JamesL.
    Aug 25, 2008
    Only reason I play this game every year is my expectation that EA actually has people that test it. I am sure they do however, they must be idiots also. I play the franchise mode and again it freezes up after the first year of drafting. Last year (08) it was in pre-season and this year's (09) at the start of the regular season. I just don't understand why EA can't get it right.
  14. GarrettJ.
    Aug 27, 2008
    I give it a 1 just for the graphics but this game is AWFUL!!! Four straight years I have bought the game and promptly sold it. They haven't made a good game since 05' and 04' was even better than that version. Way to screw up a good thing EA Sports. And I don't care how many copies you sell, it looks like I'm going to be playing 05' until you make a decent game.
  15. ChrisG.
    Sep 14, 2008
    Madden has gone to the dark side. I refuse to hand them over my hard earned cash for some half baked piece of garbage. Just don't buy it. For those of you who like the series, as long as you continue to give EA your money, the series will probably never improve.
  16. McBain17
    Sep 18, 2008
    I really don't know how the NFL continues to allow Madden to run unopposed. This year's edition is yet another reason to end exclusive licensing agreements. Pass defense is a joke totally throwing the game out of whack. Its a rental, do not give EA a full $60 of your hard earned money.
  17. JoeD.
    Sep 19, 2008
    Online play is pretty terrible. You can't stop any offense no matter what. It could be the baltimore ravens offense and they could put up 40 against the 85 bears defense. The graphics were improved. Other than that, there were very little to no improvements on this game from previous years. It's a shame there isn't any competition because a monkey could make this game better.
  18. Oct 16, 2010
    Ok this game has absoulotly nothing to say for its self Id rather have the first madden game ever. The first place this game goes wrong is when I boot up play now mode excited to play my first madden game on the 360 and I her chris conlinsworth. I hate this guy and this is the worst decesion EA has made with madden so far. EA tiburn had alot of competion this year also because NCAA 09Ok this game has absoulotly nothing to say for its self Id rather have the first madden game ever. The first place this game goes wrong is when I boot up play now mode excited to play my first madden game on the 360 and I her chris conlinsworth. I hate this guy and this is the worst decesion EA has made with madden so far. EA tiburn had alot of competion this year also because NCAA 09 turned out great. Id rather spend less money to buy the game on my psp and lose the commentary of chris and be a pro mode. The franchise mode also stinks and I can go online with my psp. EA DID NOT GET THE JOB DONE THIS YEAR. Expand

1. We're happy to report that Madden NFL 09 represents the pinnacle of the modern Madden era. [Sept 2008, p.68]
  2. Parity's finally come to Madden multiplayer, though - the new difficulty-balancing feature works great, and it allows me to finally play competitive games against better players. [Sept 2008, p.80]
  3. Madden NFL 2009 stumbles, but manages to regain its composure long enough to stiff arm critics and dive into the endzone.