7.0

1. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The balance and depth in the game is astonishing, and even the odd characters have their distinct charms...What's really a shame here is that the developer didn't manage to find a way to supplement the core experience with extras that would extend the life of the game by adding some variety to the package. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    I really enjoyed Marvel vs Capcom 2,so I thought I would enjoy this game.Arcade mode is fun and the graphics are good but after a while,it gets boring.
  3. Nov 18, 2012
    Boy I am enjoying this game a lot so far. Probably one of the best fighting games of this gen. Plenty of interesting characters coupled with some cool fighting mechanics.
  4. rhe
    Mar 21, 2012
    Even though this game has an extremely satisfying and frantic fighting system coupled with some fantastic graphics and an admittedly cool soundtrack (zero's theme rocks), this is all forgotten about when you consider what you're actually getting for your money. The fact that you can't watch any replays or actually watch the match when in a lobby, that there is a simple control scheme which makes online matches horribly unbalanced (i know you'll tell me that an expert can beat someone using simple but you also have to consider players using the normal control scheme who are new to the game), the completely useless tutorial which becomes more of a hassle than an actual help (you have to bring up the menu every time to see what the game is asking you to do) and a very small and bare amount of extra content or mini games that actually make the game more longer. What's even more worrying is that thing like a replay channel and even a tournament mode was included in SSF4 which came out ALMOST 1 YEAR AGO BY THE SAME DEVELOPER! It seems clear then that the main idea when creating MvC 3 was to add as little and then patch up these holes with DLC (which we will have to pay extra for, of course). It also doesn't help the games score that UMvC3 got released 8 months later meaning all the fans that brought the first game are pretty much burned because now their copy of MvC 3 has just become inferior (yeah yeah, I know I'm one of those people). Expand
  5. Feb 26, 2012
    MvC3 brings the fast, fun action of its predecessor along with cartoonish visuals that really enhance the onscreen combat. Unfortunately, opportunities to evolve the series are lost. The variety of game modes is pitifully small when compared to its competition and the roster is significantly smaller than MvC2. I know that it isn't fair to judge a game based on another but when it feels like a backwards step, it is a serious concern. Expand
  6. Dec 27, 2011
    This game blows, i haven't seen a more unbalanced game in my life. this game has such a small roster of characters, and half the characters nobody cares about. Combos are unbreakable. Half the capcom characters can kill any character in the game with one combo. Campers (zoners) just chip all your life away with x-factor. characters have abilities that make no sence. people online only pplay with 5 of the characters because they are the 5 most powerful characters. teleport change-ups run rampant and are impossible to block. wesker, akuma, sentinel over-powered. just trash and UMVC3 is too Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    I played this game with several of my friends in some guy's house and it was not amusing. The graphics are light and cheerful (as what you'd expect from Capcom) and there are tons of characters with unique abilites that you can select. However, the annoying control schemes with the cheezy dialogue the characters spit out every 5 seconds is annoying as hell. Besides, I'm not the type of person who enjoys a 2-D fighting game, so...meh. Buy the game if you want, but if you want to spend money wisely then buy something alse or go watch a movie. Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2011
    Truth be said,I love playing video games and been playing 30+ years.Fighting games aren't much of my thing except for the old mortal Kombat games and the new one on the 360,I'll tell you what,that has all changed after playing this game.To me it is by far better then any street fighter game which i have never liked any of them.This game is just bursting with style,creativity,depth,replay value,graphics oh graphics.This is a true gem to play and a title that will be popped into my system 5 years from now. Expand
  9. Aug 10, 2011
    A pretty freakin fun game once you get the hang of it. I would recommend it to anybody willing to learn about fighting games and how they work. By the way, it takes a couple days to get used to so dont get mad and sell it right away. 8/10
  10. Jul 26, 2011
    A great game. The game is very accessible, the fast paced nature of the game makes it exciting. Though there is a lack of content and a slight difference in the balancing for the characters.
  11. Jul 11, 2011
    There's not that much to say about this game, except that the only good part about this game is the gameplay and characters. However, even these two factors are somewhat compromised. The game gives too much of an advantage to newbies with the "simple" controls option provided, and there are some heavily-favored characters missing from the roster like Megaman. This game is no doubt fun, but very limited. It's like Super Smash brothers, except far more was expected. Expand
  12. Jul 2, 2011
    I thought this game was incredible! The graphics are awesome, granted - there's not an awful lot to do BUT, unlocking each character's ending can be a challenge and the online play is quite good. The controls are so much better that Street Fighter because even if your completely new at games like this, simple mode lets you do a variety of cool moves, and it's not that unbalanced because a lot of the moves you can only do on Normal mode. This game comes highly reccomended. BUY IT! Expand
  13. Jun 30, 2011
    This game surprised me. I myself do not usually play games like this, but the amazing graphics drew me in. I love this game simply because it is so easy to play. By pressing three simple buttons, you can do a move that looks like it would take years of practice to perfect.But at the same time, players looking for a challenge probably shouldn't even consider this game.
  14. Jun 23, 2011
    This is the first Marvel vs. Capcom game I've played so I can't make any comparisons to the original, but what I can tell you is this is a mediocre fighting game with limited modes both online and off, so there isn't much to hold your attention for very long, sure it has an awesome cast of characters and a unique visual style to it, but that's really not much more than that, the backgrounds are decent when you can see them, but there is usually to much crazy crap happening on screen to see them, if your a huge fighting game fan this may be worth a purchase, for everyone else it's just to mediocre to recommend for anything more than a rental. Expand
  15. May 12, 2011
    When I first started playing this game I would of rated it about a 9... the more I play it though it keeps slipping. It looks great and the roster is alright... (although I think everyone from MvC2 should of been included as well as the new faces...) the character balancing is way off. Some characters are just better then others. Clearly this was made for the online community but it takes too long to find matches if you are not entirely dedicated. Expand
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a great game with plenty of depth. At first glance it seems like a game that is easy to pick up and easy to master, but there is enough complexity and subtle substance that will allow the dedicated and gifted to succeed over those less dedicated and talented.

Every single time I get into the lab with this game, I find something useful.
    Every single time I compete
    with friends (who also study, experiment, and practice), something new seems so incredibly good that we suspect it might be broken.
    Every single time we find something that we think might be broken, we prove ourselves wrong.

The thing that's great about this game is that there are so many useful tools that can be used. Switch the order of your team and you're playing a different team with it's own nuances and subtleties. Switch the assist of your second or anchor character and you've changed your team significantly. It's great fun to figure out what's effective and what isn't, how different characters can compliment each other in a variety of ways.

The tools in this game are great both in their number and their variance. Some aspects of one character might be similar too another (Storm and Magnito both have 8 way airdash and can use similar tricks to get the hit because of this, as an example), but honestly I haven't played a fighting game with this much usable diversity since Guilty Gear (that's a huge compliment by the way).
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Solid gameplay accompanied with a brilliant art style set the stage for an excellent game, only to be held back by shallow variety of modes and a limited selection of characters. Could have been a much more enjoyable game if it had that little extra depth.
  18. Apr 18, 2011
    I was just waiting for 3 or 4 games this year, one of them was this one and, for me, is the biggest disappointment of the year, I don't understand how capcom ruined one of the best fighting games ever made, maybe they just don't want SSF4 get surpassed by this game (sorry for my bad spelling).
  19. Apr 17, 2011
    Kinda a disappointed being that we waited 10 years for this game and it has such a small roster. Then again the small roster dosent keep the game from being fun because it is. Only problems i really saw was that at times it was hard to find a match and thats mostly because of the servers.
  20. Mar 31, 2011
    While not quite as good as Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, MvC3 is still a worthy addition to the series.

MvC3 doesn't have as many characters as 2, but that's because 2 was basically just reusing sprites Capcom had laying around from Street Fighter, Dark Stalkers, and their "X-Men: Children of the Atom" coin-op fighter, and meshing them together into one incredibly fun, but unbalanced game.

MvC3
    uses mostly all new characters (With a few exceptions, like the Street Fighter characters.) So, it took a lot more work that 2 did to make this sucker. But the characters are all more-or-less original. (No duplicate characters, like Ken and Ryu being basically the same characters.)

There are some weird choices for fighters. Most notably M.O.D.O.K. But for the most part the character choices are interesting.

My biggest problem with the game? Why does it have Zero, but not Mega Man? (Probably because they're going to sell him to you as a DLC later =(... barf.)
  21. Mar 31, 2011
    Mash up games rarely work well, but for some reason this fighting franchise has held strong throughout the years! The latest installment brings the graphics into the next generation, and allows anyone to pick up the controller and go!

When they first announced Marvel vs Capcom 3 was coming out, I literally geeked out. My wife had to tell me several times to just shut up about it, or I
    would have no chance of bringing the game into my home. I followed the news on it fervently, and did my best to contain my joy as each new tidbit was released.

Then came the fateful day the game was released, and I ran (well drove. If youâ
  22. Mar 21, 2011
    This game was pretty damn fun at first. I was practically obsessed with learning different characters and perfecting the rhythm of certain combo chains. But then I kinda just got bored with the game. I haven't rly played too much lately. Still, the game was decent overall and rly damn fun while it lasted. Also WTF @ no Venom.
  23. Mar 19, 2011
    I'm a geek who loves his comics and games... so its a given I was going to enjoy MVC3. I did not however realise quite how much I would enjoy it. It is so colourful and vibrant with varied characters and I loved the end boss fight everytime. Multiplayer is also a blast... definately pick this one up if you get the chance.
  24. Mar 15, 2011
    Loved MvC and MvC2, but MvC3 is almost a different game altogether. Much of the mechanics of the game take little or no skill to pull off insane combos. Actually the Xbox 360 version just requires you to launch someone in the air, hit them a few times, hit A in a direction, rinse, and repeat just to juggle an opponent between an entire party. Too easy to pull off and does more damage than it should, with the simplicity of it being considered. Balancing is still an issue when all you see online, for the most part, is Sentinel and Phoenix. Perfect example of game-breaking, flawed, mechanics would be Dark Phoenix/X-Factor. If you haven't heard or witnessed it, you should look into it. Online is horrid for the most part, and is pretty difficult to get into a quick match with. The main game is solid and I do love the little endings that each character has. Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2011
    This has got to be one of my favorite fighters ever. You have a great diverse cast of characters, fan service pouring out of every orifice, easy to pick up, difficult to master mechanics, and beautiful cell-shaded graphics. My only real issue with it is the relative lack of stages, and a few characters are poorly balanced (Dormammu, Phoenix). Otherwise, a fantastic experience.
  26. Mar 14, 2011
    I have a blast playing this game by myself. However, I become frustrated when I try to play people of my (admittedly low) skill level, and they've been playing since launch and just beat the tar out of me. I don't claim to be good, but I wish I could play people of my own skill and not feel like I'm a toddler getting kneecapped by a soldier.
  27. Mar 14, 2011
    This is a game that is totally worth renting, it is an amazing fighting game by any standards but its longevity and variety are what hold it back from being a truly remarkable game. The reason MVC2 has withheld its place in cult gamers hearts for so long is because of how complex and intricate the fighting system was for the experts and how accessible it was for someone who just wanted to see their favorite comic book hero brought to life by the talented developers at Capcom. The more developers stop taking chances the more homogenized the gaming industry will become, just as the music and film industry have. They found a winning formula that worked with Street Fighter IV and they were so quick to cash in on the possibility of rebooting another great IP that they forgot what made MVC2 so endearing in the first place. While i certainly enjoyed the fighting, control scheme, and wonderful visuals, i am turned off by the lack of variety and content. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2011
    Great fighting game. I haven't bough a fighter in almost a decade and this game was worth the wait. Flashy graphics. Awesome and killer combos to preform. This game is great for any fighting fan. The only problems I have with the game is the modes are lacking. No spectator mode for online play. The online play is also a bit laggy making combo executions harder. Though, this game is a blast to play with friends. I would highly recommend this game to a person new to the series because of the simple mode. Overall great core game from Capcom that is lacking in features. Expand
  29. Mar 10, 2011
    a lot of fun until you play for a certain amount of time. not much to offer other than "arcade" mode or online. mission mode sucks and there should be like an actual story mode for each character or make a story mode like they did in tekken 6. just needs more to keep my innterest. i actually just traded this game in at gamestop for $25. just bought it to... but i used that towards red dead redemption. so i just pretty much payed $80 for it. oh well i love RDR. i reccomend that game over this. Expand
  30. Mar 9, 2011
    A sequel to the critically-acclaimed Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has been endlessly hyped and anticipated for months on end. At the end of the day, however, the game disappoints. The gameplay itself is tight and flashy as all hell. Players control any of the three dozen or so characters, and battle one another in a three-on-three battle royale. Combos are flashy as characters are blasted left and right, up and down. One feels excitement when laying the smack-down on opponents with a gigantic multiple-dozen hit combo, ending it with a satisfyingly explosive Hyper combo.

It is incredibly disappointing, then, that Capcom saw fit to include a gameplay innovation known as X-Factor. As battles continue on, characters become damaged and eventually fall. Players falling behind are granted the ability to activate X-Factor, increasing their characters' power, speed, and defense. The catch is the fewer heroes the player has left to them, the stronger their X-Factor makes their character/s. An individual left with a single character has a super-powered behemoth if they have any skill whatsoever, and massacring an opponent's team becomes fairly trivial at that point. Casual battles become incredibly frustrating then, as enemies that would have otherwise simply lost will return and end the victor, aggravating any player.

Aside from the incredibly disappointing gameplay experience granted by X-Factor, the rest of the game is fairly barebones. It is a given that games in the fighting genre are lacking when it comes to the realm of plot, however it is worth mentioning that the game is more or less devoid of any storyline or narrative to captivate the player. In addition, the online play of the game is relatively broken. Achieving an actual match against an opponent can take a ridiculously long period of time, easily longer than the matches themselves often take. This means that players will often stay in given lobbies and continue matching against an opponent, regardless of whether they are clearly better or worse, for several matches. This is in itself trivial compared to joining a lobby for player matches between multiple individuals. For some inexplicable reason, Capcom decided that spectating of matches was a bad idea. So, when other players are battling one another, one is left watching their cards bashing against one another continuously. This is enough of a disappointment that it almost renders online play worthless.

The game itself is fairly captivating and interesting, so long as the player does not attempt to view it as a fighting title with any deep metagame. It's less disappointing that way.
  31. Mar 8, 2011
    A solid game, but does not live up to its predecessor. Excellent game play, but you need to get over the new controls first. Returning characters preserve their timing and combos. Roster and unlockables are chronically lacking. Terrible character endings (but what do you expect, it's Capcom). Soundtrack is techno/pop and disturbingly catchy. The character roster is severely lacking in characters (let alone ICONIC characters) compared to MvC2, leaving much to be desired. The 3 button control scheme is much simpler, with one fatal drawback - all characters now have the same input for combos, varied only by timing and special moves. Chain attacks have been simplified too. It used to be that some characters could chain punches with kicks but with the merging of punch + kick into "attack", everyone's basic combo is nearly identical in input. Once you get over the simplified controls however, the game really shines. Combos are somehow easier, feels more natural with the fluid animations, canceling between moves, specials and hyper combos is instantaneous, and you look and feel like a pro ... until the real pros come and kick your butt. Expand
  32. Mar 5, 2011
    This game made me realize that I just do not like fighting games anymore. Not a bad game, just not for me. For all purposes, there's nothing wrong with the game: it looks and sounds great, handles and plays silky smooth and has a great roster of fighters (Deadpool was a favorite). Sadly, it lacks any real "story" mode for offline play. Also, some hardcore fighters might cry foul for the simplified controls which make the game easier for newcomers to get into it. BOTTOM LINE: If you liked MvC2 or 2D fighters in general, you should find this game entertaining. Expand
  33. Mar 3, 2011
    A good game that could have been better with proper character balancing, bigger name characters, more than bare minimum game modes, broken matchmaking and no spectator.
  34. Mar 3, 2011
    Nearly perfect. Fast action, stunning visuals, and great character interactions. Only niggle would be not enough characters, not enough costumes, not enough stages, and no real story. But its a fighting game so who cares.
  35. Feb 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am writing this review as a gamer relatively new to this genre and especially this series of games.
    Firstly, i warn all newcomers like myself who are buying this game, it does nothing to teach you how to play. A tutorial would be nice. There is a 'mission/training' mode, but actually only tells you to learn to pull of difficult combos which would take hours to learn, and you have to look each move up in the manual to learn the move, instead of on-screen instructions which are non-existant. So basically i button mash and see where that leads.
    There is a single player 'arcade' mode, which involves 6 stages of progressively harder 3-on-3 fights, and a boss battle against Galactus (who is awesome) to finish. Every time the game is the same, the boss battle is the same, and quickly becomes very repetitive and boring. Dont get me wrong, the boss battle is cool and this mode is ok, but i at least expected a back story between an actual fight between marvel vs capcom. I mean, they're not short on material to make up a cool story for each character right?
    The multiplayer is rubbish for me. I can't make a decent connection at the moment, and because im a new player i get ripped apart by all the experienced players. This may not be the case for a lot of people, but i just don't have the patience.
    The only things that save this game are the superb gameplay, stunning graphics/visuals and every single one of the characters feels true to the games and comics. They are very authentic.
    My advice, buy the game either if you are patient, or an experienced MvC player.
  36. Feb 26, 2011
    Capcom kinda messed this up. On one hand they simplified the control scheme so casual players can easily gain access to the game. On the other hand the stripped back modes, limited offline play and emphasis on online play lean towards hardcore gamers/tournament players. I would say while I like fighters, I would have to be a casual gamer, and I am really doubting if I should every actually keep the game. The fighting is solid, but I don't know how to do the flashy techniques that I would see in gameplay videos... why? Because there is no true tutorial mode. Mission mode is a chore, even going through it, I still don't understand how to do half of these things. I was also hoping for (the as promised) story mode, but Capcom somehow did not follow through. There is just arcade mode.....and thats it.
    Finally the character roster is alright, not the best. They were leaning towards more well known, modern games for Capcom and I guess whoever Marvel wanted for their side. Yet the charm for Marvel vs Capcom 1/2 was the combination on these completely random characters. In removing veterans like Megaman (in which including NONE of his incarnations makes no sense), Captain Commando, Strider and Jin, the legacy of Capcom is kinda just not there. Hell, they go and include MODOK and Dormammu ascharacters when its obvious that casuals wouldnt know who the hell they were, why does this then apply to Capcom characters? Makes no sense.

Anyway this game just doesn't work for me. As a basic fighter it is spot on, but as an overall package it is lacking. I recently bought Power Stone Collection for PSP and I found that alot more fulfilling an experience for a game thats around 10 years old. But I guess Capcom know that the ones that love this game so much will be the ones that will shell out the dollars for the crazy amounts of DLC that this game needs to feel like a complete package.
  37. Feb 26, 2011
    If you haven't played this game you need to I was thinkin this was gonna be like MK vs DC but boy was i wrong. This game makes that one look like a stiff piece of crap. I will be playing this for long time.
  38. Feb 26, 2011
    Buy this game today! This is the is completely and utterly remarkable. It's a crazy insane ride all from day one even a novice could pick it. The button layout is similar to Blazblue and I think that's a good thing. If your interested in fight games at all, you definitely need to pick this game up.
  39. Feb 26, 2011
    This really is the greatest crossover in all of gaming in fact I think this the greatest fighter I've ever played. I was blown way away by how this game looks and more importantly how it plays. There is so much freedom with all the characters and that alone makes it better than SSFIV and MvC2 imho.
  40. Feb 26, 2011
    This is the best fighting game I've ever played. I've been a tournament player for ten years now and I find this game to be ridiculously amazing. It has an incredible amount of depth especially at high level play. This game is also good for newcomers to the fighting game scene. After playing MvC2 for eight years I noticed that none of my friends really enjoyed it because of how complex the games meta-game had become but with MvC3 a lot more of my friends can enjoy the as well(even if I win nearly all the matches because of my experience) and it makes for incredibly enjoyable experience for all us. Expand
  41. Feb 26, 2011
    This game is amazing not just because of the visuals but for the most important feature; the gameplay. Several people will have a negative knee-jerk reaction this game based on how user friendly it is. These same people think that because of the simplified controls and different button layout that the game has no depth, this has come mainly from people who have only spent a few hours playing the game which if anyone who is a fighting game fan knows that most games take months if not years for the meta-game(look it up) to fully evolve. But as it stands now its really easy to pick up and play which is a good thing for people not familiar with the series and it is extremely fun. Expand
  42. Feb 24, 2011
    The main thing about this game that makes it better are the graphics. otherwise it sucks. there are less characters, les fighting modes, and its the same as the last game. if only capcom had changed it up a little more than the score would have been better.
  43. Feb 23, 2011
    It's very shiny but not as good as the previous game.Hardcore fans may well hate it or adore it.Is it worth a purchase?Well,If you've been frothing at the mouth in anticipation,then yes.If you are a fighting game fan with no particular affiliation for a franchise,I would say wait for Mortal Kombat.
  44. Feb 22, 2011
    This game is a catastrophe! I am a huge fan of MvC2, have played it for dozens of hours and MvC3 is like a cruel joke to me. Removing the difference between punch and kick alone is enough for me to call Capcom crazy but then they have also no tons of unlockables that had me playing MvC2 for 75 hours in single player alone! And then there is of course the smaller than expected character line-up with some fan favourites not included and the tactic of releasing DLC right at the launch of the game. It is just awful all around. Expand
  45. Feb 22, 2011
    the best game ever played.....but Capcom need to add more characters as Mvc2....
    I love KEN......i have been waited since last year to played this game...
    Thanks Capcom ...i hope MVC4 will have 80++characters....or more added Thanks
  46. Feb 21, 2011
    The visuals are fantastic, the characters are colorful, it is accesible to new players, deep and rewarding to competitive players, has Deadpool, and it controls better than Street Fighter 4. What more could you want in a fighting game?
  47. Feb 21, 2011
    Fast paced, fun, with an excellent cast. Unfortunately you quickly run out of things to do, and the online (the main attraction) is an exercise in frustration, as basic features don't work, and lag is a constant issue.
  48. Feb 20, 2011
    The majority of comments sounds as if the people have only played the game for a few hours, there is tons of complexity and combinations through the basic controls of L/M/H/A just do a basic youtube search and see the combos are as advanced as any other game.

This is a great game and I find myself enjoying it a lot more then other fighters, some of the characters probably need a bit of
    tweaking but that's what you'd expect from a vanilla game. Expand
  49. ccc
    Feb 18, 2011
    This is the biggest steaming pile of crap I have ever played!
    I have been a fan of this series before it was a series. Starting with X-Men Children of the atom then X-Men Vs Street fighter then Marvel Super Heroes, Then Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter, then Marvel vs Capcom, and Finally Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
    Upon getting this game I was most excited as a new entry hasnt been added to
    the series in over a decade. My excitement however turned to confusion and cries of NOOOOO shortly after starting the game up. I used Ryu as my first pick and right away I noticed a massive game fail...... The kick and the punch are one in the same now. Seriously? WTF Capcom? Supers are now done with the press of a button and launching is also done with a single button press as is dashing. Basically what skill there was involved in this game is gone and the game caters to the 2-d fighter game "challenged" player. I couldn't help but feel like I was playing the game on an IOS device like the ipod touch or iphone it was made so simple. An untrained monkey could have a go at this game and find success. The game offers two play types, normal and simple. Which translate into I'm stupid and I'm really stupid.
    Bottom line, if you liked MVC2 there is nothing for you here. If you liked MVC2 but really really sucked at it then this might be the fighter you've been waiting for and that's sad. The fact that other sites have given this game 5 star rating shows either the power of the all mighty dollar or just plain ignorance (you know who you are).
    I can honestly say that this is both the worst fighting game ever made and the biggest series flop I have ever seen. Stay away from this at all cost. They already suckered me out 60.00 don't be the next victim.
    Now I gotta find the best way to get most of my money back. Thanks for screwing this up big time Capcom, you truly did take me for a ride.
  50. Feb 17, 2011
    MvC3 is not what we were expecting, and for fans of MvC2, it's not what we wanted, either. The gameplay has been reduced in complexity, with high/med/low kick/punch now replaced with a basic H/M/L + Special system. The Special attack amounts to a launcher to make starting air combos easier. Much of the depth has been stripped away, which in fact was probably necessary, given that the obvious focus of MvC3 is on it's appearance. The screen is a seizure-inducing blur of action that cannot be followed, with some of it even occuring off screen, so the simplified controls make sense in light of the very difficult to follow action.

Overall, MvC3 is all flash, very little substance, and more of a cash-in for Capcom, given that the license and existing fanbase will allow them to spew out endless DLC with characters and costumes. if you have SSF4, BlazBlue, and enjoy them, you can do yourself a favor and skip this lowest-common demoninator effort.
  51. Feb 16, 2011
    Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is a solid 3v3 tag team fighting game with a few annoyances. It gets a ton of things right from the fighting mechanics to the characters included, but a few minor flaws such as lack of a true story really hold it back from reaching its full potential. The gameplay at first glance seems crazy and unpredictable, and if you're new to the series, it is. The game sets itself apart from traditional fighters by sticking to a crazy and incredibly over the top gameplay mechanic that includes various unique special moves, huge air combos and screen filling hyper combos. It may seem like a game based on luck but underneath all the glitz and flash is a deep fighting experience that can take years to master. The fighting consists of 4 main buttons, weak medium & heavy attack as well as a special button. It also has two assist buttons for calling in your team mates or tagging one out for another. This makes for some very hectic matches. Each character is also fitted with a ton of different special moves they can pull of by executing certain movements with the the thumbstick and a button press. The special moves can have various effects and are unique to each individual character, which makes the game perfect for different play styles. These specials can be combo'd into making for devastating attacks that look and feel great to pull off. Also included are the hyper combos, which are unique to each character as well. These hyper combos take up a bit of your hyper meter, which cumulates as you fight, and are incredibly powerful moves that really make or break a battle. Each character has at least two hyper combos and can be performed like a super but by pressing two buttons instead of one. All of these mechanics put together create a deep and hectic fighting game that will take years to discover all the hidden tricks. If this seems a little too daunting for you newcomers, fear not for there is an alternative. Simple mode basically takes button mashing and makes it playable by letting whatever button you press develop into a combo. While this may seem unfair to some don't worry, it is designed to help ease newcomers into the game, which means any experienced player will be able to defeat one. The story, or lack thereof, is where the game falls a bit. The game has virtually no story to be found. All you know is that at the end of Arcade mode you're fighting Galactus, who is supposedly eating the two worlds that the characters inhabit, that's it. When you do beat him you are treated to a character specific ending that is really just two still frames which do nothing to further the story. This failed to capture my interest unless it was a character I was fond of, and even then it was hard. This is a huge disappointment considering the beautifully animated cutscenes that led up to the games release. Why aren't those in the game Capcom? Although this isn't a huge gripe, it would've been nice seeing my favorite Marvel and Capcom characters come together for a true and engaging story. Visually the game looks great. It has it's own inky style that makes it look like a comic book come to life and is wonderfully colored. All the special moves and animations look fantastic and makes you really feel like you're part of the action. The character models, while a little on the simpler side, still look pretty good with some great detail here and there. The backdrops that the game has, while not many, are still fantastic looking, each of them brimming with life. From the parade near the Daily Bugle to the licker infested labs of the Resident Evil franchise the environments are a diverse bunch with plenty of things in the background that compliment the hectic nature of the gameplay instead of detracting from it. All in all the game looks great, the effects are amazing and the backdrops are stunning, the characters could've looked a little better but it won't matter too much when you're fighting with them. What's in the package of the game is good enough, although maybe lacking for some. The game includes 36 characters, 32 of which are unlocked from the get go. This gives you a lot of options to go with and provides plenty of different experiences as all of the characters are unique to themselves. Perfect examples are X-23 and She-Hulk, who may seem like clones of Wolverine and Hulk at first glance, but both play vastly different. I would like to post more but apparently i'm cut off even with enough characters left to post so I'll leave it at this: Go buy this game. It's a great fighting game with its own unique style that will be fun for years to come. Expand
  52. Feb 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mvs.C3 looks great, but have many problems, like offline mode, more powerfull charavters than others, and DLC's.... The game looks great, but 60 bucks plus others DLC's??? 5$ each one???!!!! Capcom are you crazy???!!!! I don't buy this game. That's all. Seeya in Hellghan. Expand
  53. nah
    Feb 16, 2011
    I would say realistically while this game is pretty, it lacks the complexity that I expect from a Capcom fighter. Yes there is depth in the very basic control scheme, but making it so simple removes the challenge of playing. I was also hoping for a significantly larger cast in comparison to what is offered in the game. Most people have argued that the size of the cast and the simplistic controls is for balancing everything but I do not see that. There are characters with obvious advantages over other characters that do not balance out. The first in this list that comes to mind for me is X-23. The other major problem that I see with this game specifically is that the simplified control scheme favors someone who doesn't know what they are doing over the precision that is required to move from punches to kicks and back into a high punch launch combo. While it makes the genre more approachable it doesn't help a person to transition from this to something like street fighter. All it does is create an even larger gap between the player who prefers the less complex control scheme and the people who can actually play a street fighter game. This is what was great about MvC2 it had a somewhat simplified control scheme but did not sacrifice the traditional controls of the genre. You will quickly find that if you map these controls to an arcade stick that it is not very intuitive especially when dealing with the "launch" button. Overall its a very underwhelming title. For me it was a backwards step from where MvC2 was. Expand
  54. Feb 16, 2011
    Pros: Great visuals Great Game play Easy to learn Game works for NEWBIES and PROS Lobby system is good There is little to no lag in online matches
    CONS: Lacking modes Endings are Bad and boring Useless items and unlocks
  55. Feb 16, 2011
    Marvel vs. Capcom 3 brings the bang for buck. The graphics fit the style of an acrade action game and the number of characters are amazing. However, the attack instructions could use a little fine tuning, but besides that this game is worth it. If you are a fan of other games like Street Fighter and other Action Adventure game, then Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is the game for you!
  56. Feb 16, 2011
    I'm not huge into the fighting genre but after playing it with friends, it's quite easy to pick up and the character list is just a blast to go through. I recommend this game to almost anyone interested in the genre and also newcomers to the genre.
  57. Feb 15, 2011
    What a great game! There have been several games lately that a lot of people have been eagerly awaiting for a long time, but this is the first that actually seems worth the wait. Stunning visuals that look like you are playing an interactive comic book. Great music and character voices. Each character is brilliantly realized and is faithful to the source material (Deadpool is hilarious). The game is fun for the accomplished fighting game fan and newcomers alike. There is a great deal of depth in the fighting engine even though it has been streamlined a bit, and it hasn't been stripped so much that it will disappoint the hardcore fans. If you're a newbie you can switch on simple-mode and if your friends didn't know any better they'd think you're a pro, even though you'll still get crushed online. A lot of people are complaining about there only being 36 playable characters in the game (4 of which are unlockable), which is cut back from the nearly 60 in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, however a lot of those fighters were duplicates with swapped out palettes ( they had the same movesets, strengths, weaknesses, exploits, etc., they just looked like different characters). Each character in MvC3 is a total individual, unique in both appearance and play-style. Each has four different optional appearances, although these are just mainly color swaps. New characters have been announced as DLC later down the road and I'm sure more are on the way, this is the way videogames are made and marketed nowadays and I'm not going to deduct points for this as the omission of these items doesn't diminish the quality of the game, later they will merely add to it and keep the game fresh long after the "new" has worn off. The only issue I have with the game and the reason I docked it a point is the lack of game modes. You only really get arcade, versus, training, and online versus. They're all pretty much the same. The only difference is that at the end of the arcade mode you get a static cut scene ending featuring the character you won with, it's not enough to be considered a story mode. A new mode has been announced as DLC but for one reason or another Capcom decided not to include it on disc. This doesn't break the game but it certainly should have been included as the number of game modes was the sole area I thought was lacking in this game. That said, this is still a fast, fun, and highly addictive fighting game. Easy to pick up and play, but hard to master. It is great for solo play or even better as a party game because everyone has heard of most of these characters and it is so easy to just pick up and start wailing away on opponents. If you like fighting games, Marvel comics, or Capcom games, this will keep you entertained for a long time to come. Collapse
  58. Feb 15, 2011
    this game is good it might not be what people wanted from MvC3 but it is still good most of the characters in MvC3 are usable unlike MvC2 where out of the 56 playable characters that they had only about 10 were good for use in hardcore play. Better graphics more streamline gameplay great characters this game is global EVO worthy
  59. Feb 15, 2011
    Pros: Visually an Eye Candy. Well balanced fighting mechanics. Welcome entry of new characters to the franchise. Cons: Only a total of 36 characters on the disc compared to 56 on MvC2. Almost none existent fighting modes Not enough alternate customs. A lot of obvious fans favorite characters excluded. Ken (capcom) Cable (marvel) just to mention a few. Downloadable Content already announced that should of been on the retail version from the start.

I'm giving it a 5 out 10, unfortunately as much as I love the franchise I have to be honest with myself on this matter. The game has its strong points but the extra features that makes a fighting game enjoyable like extra customs, more fighting modes, alternate endings, alternate fighting bosses, and more than I could go on and on, are lacking on this retail version, which is obvious that Capcom is planning to release MUCH, MUCH more content as DLC, making the retail version look more like a full priced DEMO.

I love fighting games, and wanted to love Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but the business mind of Capcom milking its customers for unlockables that could of been in the retail version are just too much for me to over look. Best option is to wait until the game reaches a bargain price to balance well with the other half of the game that capcom will be releasing as DLC starting March 1st.
  60. Feb 15, 2011
    That´s an awful ride... All too easy, and the special moves (for the characters from MVC2) are the SAME ! Skip it, and keep playing MVC2.
  61. Feb 15, 2011

1. May 24, 2011
    The fluid and intuitive controls in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 feel great. The graphic effects and the versus mode are truly great too. A wonderful game.
  2. Mar 25, 2011
    Frankly if you're a fighting game fan you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing this excellent title.
  3. Mar 23, 2011
    Marvel vs. Capcom 3 might be a bit light in the gaming modes, there's no denying that the core gameplay is solid enough stands on its own and has something to offer for every type of gamer. Fighting fans of all flavors will enjoy the hybrid 2D-meets-3D gameplay, the smooth animations, and the excellent character special moves.