8.9

1. Jul 29, 2011
    The mechanics of the game changed slightly, as the way to acquire weapons and armor was much different than simply killing other things and scrounging through their belongings or corpses. Although this lessened the RPG aspect, i feel it did not hurt the game. Most negative reviews are because of this simple change, i recommend not listening to them or you may pass up a very good game. TheThe mechanics of the game changed slightly, as the way to acquire weapons and armor was much different than simply killing other things and scrounging through their belongings or corpses. Although this lessened the RPG aspect, i feel it did not hurt the game. Most negative reviews are because of this simple change, i recommend not listening to them or you may pass up a very good game. The fact you can import your character from the first game and effect Mass Effect 2 from past decisions is an amazing feature in itself. Action is slightly faster which makes for more intense action. Has great cut-scenes and memorable dialogue. The game is overall everything someone would expect it to be, except now it is a slightly lighter, but still great, RPG game. Do not be scared of the change as i was at first, embrace it and enjoy a great game as i eventually did. Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2011
    Imagine Ratchet and Clank... now imagine it being torn apart by the brilliance of a near perfect super game!. The graphics are incredible as everything is so clear and open. From start to finish this game has amazed me, with the story line dependent on the decisions you make in the game, it gives the player that cautious feeling, all the cut scene look as something out of a movie. If youImagine Ratchet and Clank... now imagine it being torn apart by the brilliance of a near perfect super game!. The graphics are incredible as everything is so clear and open. From start to finish this game has amazed me, with the story line dependent on the decisions you make in the game, it gives the player that cautious feeling, all the cut scene look as something out of a movie. If you want value for money, this game offers endless side quest and different end game outcomes. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2011
    Undoubtedly should be in the top 5 games of all time, great gameplay, slightly watered down RPG elements, but still one of the best games off all time.
  4. Sep 28, 2011
    Does anyone else feel bad for Alpha Protocol? That game's still coming out, right? It seems like it'll be ME1 but in the present, and ME2 improves on everything in ME1 that I can't help but feel it'll look and play terrible by comparison when it comes out. ME2 has raised the bar so **** high now. Cover system's improved. No more inadvertent sticking. Feels about as good and refined asDoes anyone else feel bad for Alpha Protocol? That game's still coming out, right? It seems like it'll be ME1 but in the present, and ME2 improves on everything in ME1 that I can't help but feel it'll look and play terrible by comparison when it comes out. ME2 has raised the bar so **** high now. Cover system's improved. No more inadvertent sticking. Feels about as good and refined as Gears of War 2. Honestly... after playing a few setpieces... I actually think the combat's a lot more fun then Gears of War 2. Which is generally regarded as the pinnacle of third person shooters. But Gears of War 2 didn't have you using different ammo mods and biotic abilities or combos with an ally's biotics and uh... it just all comes together as something so much better and much more satisfying then a normal third person shooter. When you've got this amazing first-rate third person shooter combat, and then couple it with BioWare's traditionally stellar RPG mechanics... well, you've got one of the finest games ever crafted, I think. And yes, sniper rifles are much more useful in ME2. The combat has been much... uh, improved and streamlined and polished and all that jazz, so sniper rifles are much more like assault rifles now. Whereas in ME1 they were kinda only for outdoors sniping and you had to contend with lots of scope drift built in, ME2 allows you to snipe with really steady aim and the scope actually works for medium range combat. Hell, you can even shoot no-scope, which would've been absolute lunacy in ME1. Mind you, I personally didn't have any issue with sniper rifles in ME1, but yea, you'll definitely like em in ME2. The only problem with the ME2 sniper rifle is that you're constantly gonna run out of heat sinks because of how enjoyable sniping is.

That's really the only problem I've had so far, the fact that I run out of ammo... er, heat sinks for certain guns too often. I'd give my right arm for an auto-thermal clip that actually cooled down the heat buildup. Ya know, like in ME1. I don't have any problem with the act of reloading my gun, I can stand to pause my shooting and press the X button. That part's fine and dandy. But running out of heat sinks just feels lame after playing through ME1. ME1, the game which actually didn't have infinite respawning enemies. There are tons of enemies that have shield bars, followed by armor bars, followed by health bars. Or Krogans, who have enormous armor and health bars. Hmmm, that would've been a cool side effect of using the flamethrower heavy weapon. It overheats enemies' thermal clips and forces them to rush up and melee you cause they're out of ammo. Crosshair's changed from the circle of the first one to four moving lines. Feels more old timey like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear. You can see a holographic display of your activated ammo power on your gun. This is great. Reloading heat sinks feels just like reloading ammo in a regular 21st century gun, kinda a downer. Difficulty on Veteran is pretty good, not too frustrating. Much less difficult then Rainbow Six Vegas on Realistic. Insanity's not that fun, unfortunately. Taking loads of damage from enemies is fine, but having them be huge bullet sponges and needing to resort to stuff like Warp Ammo in a desperate attempt to save on thermal clips (ammo)... feels frustrating. Frankly, ME2 makes ME1 look really bad, even though I really enjoyed ME1. The combat is just soooo much smoother and more responsive. No more collecting 15 rifles and vendor trashing 14 of em. No more worrying about hitting that 150 item limit. Now, I've heard some people talking trash about the Vindicator Battle Rifle sucking, especially compared to the default Avenger Assault Rifle. Having spent the game as a Soldier, I'd like to chime in. The Vindicator Battle Rifle is a fine gun, for certain situations. It's got a tighter reticle, so it's more accurate at medium to long range, and fires in bursts so there's no real recoil to speak of. When you've exhausted your sniper rifle ammo, it's an amazing feeling to pull out a Vindicator and finish off the rest of the enemies you were sniping. On the downside, it lacks the full auto capability of the Avenger and seems to run out of ammo a bit faster. For standup fights against other ranged opponents at long distances, the Vindicator beats the Avenger hands down. Against opponents that charge you however, such as Husks, Varren, and some Krogans, you'll likely want to have the full auto output of an Avenger.
  5. Mar 1, 2012
    What can I say that hasn't been said. Solid mix of 3rd person shooter and RPG. Top of the notch dialogue and voice acting. Easier difficulties give you more action and Harder difficulties make use more RPG esque strategy elements. Well done Bioware. Well done
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    This should be a 10 but my phone won't let me rate it any higher.

This should be a 10 but my phone won't let me rate it any higher.

Mass Effect 2 is the greatest game I have played on this generation of consoles. Some argue that the RPG elements have been dumbed down from ME1, and they would be right. However, ME2 is such a beautifully crafted game from start to finish. The artwork, lore and direction are world class, the game is visually slicker than ME1 and the cutscenes more cinematic and engrossing.

Even more importantly, the characters personalities are diverse and engaging, and as with all BioWare games, the voice cast are absolutely superb. Although I actually think ME1 had a better storyline, with more twists and turns, ME2 is the better game as it is more complete. From combat to dialogue, ME2 is superior (ignoring the stripped down RPG elements).

Having said that ME1 is arguably the second greatest game i've played on Xbox 360. I strongly recommend you play it before picking up ME2.

So in conclusion, yes ME2 is aimed more towards a mainstream audience.
    Yes, there is more emphasis on combat and cinematics at the expense of hardcore RPG elements.
    But this game is truly sublime. Play it!!

(This was my first review. I hope somebody finds it useful. Bye!)
  7. Mar 13, 2012
    Amazing game I loved the gamplay the characters the enemies the difficulty I just had a problem with how the weapon modes worked because I preferred the ammo types being found but that's not enough to lower my score
  8. Jan 31, 2012
    I think I am the only one that prefered mass effect 1 better. 8 hours in the game and I don't even want to continue anymore. They took away the inventory system and made it mainstream. I hate the new crosshair and ammo system, and i hate that the whole game is basically just finding new squad mates for one final mission. The new normandy looks nice, but I really don't like this game.
  9. May 14, 2011
    This game was supremely disappointing, in so many ways. It threw away its RPG roots for a more consumer friendly 3rd person shooter feel. Smooth gameplay, but you can tell this game was made for money, and not made to contribute a real, lasting RPG element to the realm of classical RPG's. This game is basically twenty hours of shoot this, shoot that, with a very predictable storyline and aThis game was supremely disappointing, in so many ways. It threw away its RPG roots for a more consumer friendly 3rd person shooter feel. Smooth gameplay, but you can tell this game was made for money, and not made to contribute a real, lasting RPG element to the realm of classical RPG's. This game is basically twenty hours of shoot this, shoot that, with a very predictable storyline and a few useless side missions that contributed little to nothing to the story. I was a huge fan on the first ME. And Bioware disappointed me greatly in their effort to make more money. They were clearly not supporting the hardcore fans that bought and enjoyed ME 1. The gameplay came out smoother then the first, and the graphics were even better. That is why I am giving it a five. Otherwise it was a very lackluster game. On a side note, the music in this game was hardly noticeable, and was in no way as memorable as the first, or as creative as the first. Basically the only songs I enjoyed were the remakes of the songs in the original Expand
  10. Aug 28, 2014
    This generation of little brats has brought to you a ruined master piece of what ME1 was. They only know shooting, mindless simplified on rails game play, skip to the next fast travel location and the use of less brains, this is what they want in gaming and it is exactly what they got, you know why? Because money talks, and as long as these people keep forking their money up you will onlyThis generation of little brats has brought to you a ruined master piece of what ME1 was. They only know shooting, mindless simplified on rails game play, skip to the next fast travel location and the use of less brains, this is what they want in gaming and it is exactly what they got, you know why? Because money talks, and as long as these people keep forking their money up you will only get more dumb down simplified dribble like this game. It's not about the developer, it's society that demands this crap, until you fix this consumerism Americanised shallow way of life, you'll get games and anything related to entertainment like this. Simple, watered down, leave nothing to the imagination, hold your hand in the direction you're forced to go. Nothing you do in this game matters, there is a total disconnect, i had no feelings towards any of the characters because of the poor shallow written dialogs.

I did all character side quests, and stopped playing a few missions before the end because i had enough of how bad the story was and didn't want to waste my time / didn't even care about how this game ends. I rather never find out to be honest.
  11. osh
    Sep 4, 2011
    I am honestly baffled why review scores are so high for this game. I loved the first game, but the sequel just made me feel like I wasn't in control. I think I liked the first Mass Effect so much just because it had a really well-thought-out universe that allowed for some really exciting action, interesting characters, and a gripping story, all the while forcing me make tough decisions butI am honestly baffled why review scores are so high for this game. I loved the first game, but the sequel just made me feel like I wasn't in control. I think I liked the first Mass Effect so much just because it had a really well-thought-out universe that allowed for some really exciting action, interesting characters, and a gripping story, all the while forcing me make tough decisions but rewarding my wise choices. Mass Effect 2, by contrast, seems to sacrifice the integrity of the universe, characters, and story for more action, excitement, and drama; and though the decisions are still tough, the wise choices are apparently replaced by only irrational, dramatic dialogue options -- and that's not even mentioning the alienating game design changes, namely the introduction of reloading (for which there seems to be no other reason than to fit in with shooters, despite being needlessly annoying), the complete overhaul of the weapon system (which caters to newbies who play shooters and punishes those who played the first game), and the decided lack of standard-definition TV support (making most of the text unreadable to me, leaving me confused and even angry).

I bought this game expecting a fulfilling sequel experience, but instead I got a game that betrayed my expectations, even to the point of insult. That said, the game has amazing visuals, and I imagine it would be enjoyable to those who played ME1, didn't care about playing a rational character, either don't remember the story in detail or don't care about ret-cons, and want a completely new combat system; or those who didn't play ME1, don't mind the nagging feeling that they're missing part of the story, and like action heroes and shooting things.
  12. Mar 11, 2011
    Biggest disappointment of 2010 for me... I enjoyed the original ME even though it could have been a lot better gameplay wise. The story really hooked me and I found the setting, soundtrack and artistic style familiar but very interesting in its own way. ME2 on the other hand I didn't like at all. It feels much more generic and less mature. All the feedback the fans gave on the BiowareBiggest disappointment of 2010 for me... I enjoyed the original ME even though it could have been a lot better gameplay wise. The story really hooked me and I found the setting, soundtrack and artistic style familiar but very interesting in its own way. ME2 on the other hand I didn't like at all. It feels much more generic and less mature. All the feedback the fans gave on the Bioware forums didn't seem to have made any impact on the games development. The only thing they did seem to acknowledge was the unimpressive combat and A.I from the first game. Everything else was either watered down or simply scrapped entirely. Most of the interesting aspects like the RPG elements and the planet exploration just got removed. These things could have been improved vastly over the original, but instead they took the easy option and replaced them with much more casualised ideas. I saw a lot of potential for this IP after playing the first game, now all that has gone to waste with ME2. ME3 is no longer of interest to me. Expand
  13. Sep 5, 2010
    after thoroughly enjoying the original mass effect i was really looking forward to this the original was brilliantly written the shooting aspects were good, however not perfect though.I was incredibly pleased to find that the incredibly detailed narrative had returned in its full glory and the shooting had been vastly improved as well as using your biotic/tech abilities.If there had to beafter thoroughly enjoying the original mass effect i was really looking forward to this the original was brilliantly written the shooting aspects were good, however not perfect though.I was incredibly pleased to find that the incredibly detailed narrative had returned in its full glory and the shooting had been vastly improved as well as using your biotic/tech abilities.If there had to be one downside it would be the actually main story of the game lacks a little bit of the quality of the first, but the conversational aspects are still top notch. However this takes nothing away from the experience or the over all quality of the game. This is my favourite game of the year so far and i don't see anything beating it as it is a perfect all round experience that pretty much everyone can enjoy Expand
  14. Sep 12, 2010
    Perfect ?... No, not really,no game deserve a 10 : for example, the level design is still very poor (1 corridor, 1 or 2 room, no really choices), and combat can be very boring after 10 hours of play...

But damn... what a good game in every other domains !!!
  15. Sep 19, 2010
    This a great game and much better than the first. The plot is amazing, which is to be expected from BioWare, but the gameplay is also really good. The only flaw is a few control issues. Sometimes trying to get into cover leads you to jump out of cover, and the lack of a lock on button is problematic, but these flaws are over shadowed by a generally good combat system.
  16. Sep 23, 2010
    Pound for pound, one of the finest games ever conceived, a rival to Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic 3 for greatest sequel in the history of video games, and a hell of a ride from start to finish.
  17. Sep 29, 2010
    Brilliant sequel to what was one of my favourite games. Was worried about the loss of RPG elements, but never missed them; and the increased production values, mechanics more then made up for the loss. The last mission has to be one of my most memorable gaming moments for a long time, can't wait for the sequal to finish off the trilogy.
  18. Oct 23, 2010
    AMAZING. This is the best game i have ever played. It has the best story, the best characters, and probably the best graphics out of all the games i have ever played.
  19. Oct 14, 2010
    This game is the perfect balance of streamlined rpg and third person shooter action, and story elements. If you liked the hardcore rpg aspects of ME1, you may be disapointed, but If all the info in the firt game was daunting to you, then you'll love this game. Also, listing the all of improvments made to the other aspects of the game would take longer than an elevator ride at the citadel.
  20. Oct 17, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 takes place in an outstanding universe. Characters are well developed and their conflicts make you submerge in their history. The story is SUPERB (better than many movies), graphics are excellent, and gameplay is great (not entirely fluid). The only drawback is the slow paced resource mining. If loading times are a problem, just install BOTH discs on your hard drive. It willMass Effect 2 takes place in an outstanding universe. Characters are well developed and their conflicts make you submerge in their history. The story is SUPERB (better than many movies), graphics are excellent, and gameplay is great (not entirely fluid). The only drawback is the slow paced resource mining. If loading times are a problem, just install BOTH discs on your hard drive. It will not eliminate the waiting, but it will sure reduce it. Also, with all the variety of the main character's classes, you'll be playing this game more than twice. This game totally stands up to Bioware's excellent reputation. Every XBOX gamer should have this game in their collection. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2010
    My favorite game of all time. Period. I absolutely loved it. It is the most well made game I've ever played, and so enjoyable that I went back and played the entire thing again. The DLC is worthwhile, as well.
  22. Oct 23, 2010
    I really enjoyed this RPG game. I have replayed it a few times and took different "paths" by choosing different characters and options. The planet mining was kind of boring, but it wasn't too bad... LOL The story line was usually decent. The characters were OK, a few personality oddities kind of took away from the game, but it was still a great game to play. I think it is the best game II really enjoyed this RPG game. I have replayed it a few times and took different "paths" by choosing different characters and options. The planet mining was kind of boring, but it wasn't too bad... LOL The story line was usually decent. The characters were OK, a few personality oddities kind of took away from the game, but it was still a great game to play. I think it is the best game I have played from E.A. I hope they keep this kind of work up. Expand
  23. Nov 2, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is a definite competitor for game of the year and if it won it I wouldn't be overly surprised. There is only one game that is standing in its way and that is the mighty Red Dead Redemption. This game is quite possibly better than Gears of War, as the combat is very similar but the cover system could use a little work to be considered Gears of War good. The story is possiblyMass Effect 2 is a definite competitor for game of the year and if it won it I wouldn't be overly surprised. There is only one game that is standing in its way and that is the mighty Red Dead Redemption. This game is quite possibly better than Gears of War, as the combat is very similar but the cover system could use a little work to be considered Gears of War good. The story is possibly the best feature about the game as it is a compelling space opera, with a great script and a beautifully detailed world to explore. If you are even remotely interested in the Sci-fi genre then this is an absolute must, although maybe not every ones cup of tea as the game can sometimes drag on a bit between missions. Without spoiling anything lets just say this has one of the most epic endings that a video game could have, rivaling the masterful Red Dead Redemption. This is a very personal game as you can control nearly everything your characters says and does, but what is most impressive is how the other characters react in such a way that truly makes you feel what you say makes a difference. There are also choices to make like who to defend if an argument brakes out between fellow crew members and it is up to you how you deal with the situation (choosing sides or being mutual). Beware this can have a huge effect on how the final sequence plans out which is why this game is so impressive and unique to most of the other games out there. You can be nice or you can be nasty in your reactions to your characters which you talk to. This gain you positive or negative reactions. So if your still reading this you must be some what interested in the game so why not just pop out and get it, it can be picked up fairly cheap these days. Expand
  24. Nov 1, 2010
    Well, it's odd to say the least to see people here give this game a grade of less than 8. The whole thing, production values, script, planning.. it all deserves a 10, this game rocks. "Feels outdated?" ,"angry spaceshooter?" If you haven't played this game yet, you really should.
  25. Nov 5, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 has better graphics, music, characters, story, and gameplay than it's predecessor, and it's predecessor was already a great game. Do not miss this experience.
  26. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = The most personal gaming experience in recent memory. Packed with content and awesome decision making sections, this game is truly yours. Best science fiction game as well.
  27. Nov 11, 2010
    This, yes this game is obvious the "Game Of The Year"

Mass Effect was a great game, played it for over a hundred hours and yet Mass Effect 2 made it even better. What was broken is not, what we wanted we got. A epic story and great acting and most important hours of fun! (10,0)

Fight for the lost!
  28. Nov 13, 2010
    Beautiful game. Far superior to the first one, which felt clunky and at sometimes boring, but still a good game. This is GOTY material and should be treated as such. It has amazing and developed characters (for the most part... Samara...), and may prove challenging depending on your difficulty level. It's great and expansive. Must buy.
  29. Aug 24, 2012
    I feel like Mass Effect 2 improved on the original in almost all aspects, the exception being planetary exploration - rotating a planet with your controller and launching probes at it is less interactive than I'd like in this type of game. It's also nice to see choices you made in the first game have some possibly serious, universe-changing ramifications here. The final mission isI feel like Mass Effect 2 improved on the original in almost all aspects, the exception being planetary exploration - rotating a planet with your controller and launching probes at it is less interactive than I'd like in this type of game. It's also nice to see choices you made in the first game have some possibly serious, universe-changing ramifications here. The final mission is undoubtedly one of the best climaxes to a video game I've seen recently, even if the.. consequences... of certain character choices feel a bit arbitrary. Really, really good game. Expand
  30. May 5, 2012
    A disturbingly over simplified pander-to-the-masses over sexed waste of $60. How this gets called an RPG is a mystery to me. Eliminate the best parts of ME1, collecting weapons, armour, and support tech, extensive character modification, and having a large central point (the citadel) and what your left with is a single play-through bore with little to no reason to play twice. WhileA disturbingly over simplified pander-to-the-masses over sexed waste of $60. How this gets called an RPG is a mystery to me. Eliminate the best parts of ME1, collecting weapons, armour, and support tech, extensive character modification, and having a large central point (the citadel) and what your left with is a single play-through bore with little to no reason to play twice. While still better than alot of other games out there, this is in the realm of Dino-Crisis 2 or virtually every bond game since goldeneye when it comes to being a complete failure as a sequel. I may play the third, but only to see how things play out. Gameplay for this series has dropped to a one, the 4 is for having the ME storyline. Expand
  31. Feb 28, 2013
    A disgrace to what could have been. I played through the first Mass Effect over two times, for about 80 hours. I couldn't wait to finally play Mass Effect 2 and see how the story would develop. What magnificent new encounters would await me. What did I get instead? Ambush after ambush like a cheap Gears of War clone. Largely stripped of the role playing elements that made ME1 such a greatA disgrace to what could have been. I played through the first Mass Effect over two times, for about 80 hours. I couldn't wait to finally play Mass Effect 2 and see how the story would develop. What magnificent new encounters would await me. What did I get instead? Ambush after ambush like a cheap Gears of War clone. Largely stripped of the role playing elements that made ME1 such a great game, ME2 feels like what a husk from ME1 must feel like a soulless shell of what used to be. Expand
  32. Nov 21, 2011
    Not *really* a zero game, but the 9.0 is WAY off... I would give it a 7 legitimately. overall, the fact that I beat ME1 some 6 times, spending anywhere from a week to over a month on each playthrough, to beating ME2 in a single weekend, having done *EVERYTHING* to be done in the game, and never looking back spoke volumes to me. It really ruined the entire series in my eyes. And i cannotNot *really* a zero game, but the 9.0 is WAY off... I would give it a 7 legitimately. overall, the fact that I beat ME1 some 6 times, spending anywhere from a week to over a month on each playthrough, to beating ME2 in a single weekend, having done *EVERYTHING* to be done in the game, and never looking back spoke volumes to me. It really ruined the entire series in my eyes. And i cannot begin to comprehend how it got such a high user score here, thus I'm submitting a zero to counter it. I was a huge fan of ME1, but ME2 was all graphics and no game. 1. they ruined the controls, taking it from a tactical action rpg to just an action game. 2. They added shared timers on the characters abilities, seriously hindering how the game is played. 3. Got rid of all RPG elements, giving you only linear upgrades to single choice weapons and armor. 4. They made the dialogs horrid, compared to ME1 - choices went from captian awesome --> **** in ME1 to cry baby --> immature jackass in ME2. 5. The levels were completely linear, with zero feeling of "exploration" captured in ME1, plus the levels were way too small, taking mere minutes to clear each level. and i could go on about the problems but i think you get the point. Expand
  33. Mar 25, 2011
    The first game is one of the best RPG's you will ever play, but the sequel is a massive step backwards with a lot of pointless changes for the worse.

One pointless change is the firing of weapons. It's now a case of holding down shoot and spraying until you need to reload. Your weapon will never overheat and your accuracy never affected. They've listened to complains about the inventory

They've listened to complains about the inventory in ME1, but instead of fixing it, they've removed it entirely.

They have turned Mass Effect into a mindless action shooter like Gears of War. Steer clear.
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    Guess you finally got that big Ad deal with EA Metacritic? That's why you removed 90% of the nagative reviews even though they didn't violate any rule? No but seriously, f you and f your sh*tty site. Pirate the game and see for yourself if it's any good before you buy it. Don't listen to payed reviewers and the 1% of the people who played it that actually liked it and therefore was givenGuess you finally got that big Ad deal with EA Metacritic? That's why you removed 90% of the nagative reviews even though they didn't violate any rule? No but seriously, f you and f your sh*tty site. Pirate the game and see for yourself if it's any good before you buy it. Don't listen to payed reviewers and the 1% of the people who played it that actually liked it and therefore was given permission to voice their opinion here.

There is only about 5minutes before this message is deleted by the EA death squads. But I hope I can save a few souls.
  35. Oct 8, 2010
    Too much EA, not enough Bioware. Disappointing, as Mass Effect 1, just needed a few tweaks to make it one of the best titles ever. It had the action/RPG balance. The story had an epic quality, the really distinctive soundtrack.. Dark is fine, in fact it can be great. But the writers of ME2 seem to think that adding edginess can compensate for weak storytelling.

Granted, combat was a

Granted, combat was a little clunky was in the first game, but the rest of the game was so tight that it didn't matter. An there were some great elements within that made it a unique experience (like overheating weapons, etc). Combat, in ME2, is certainly smoother. But the whole package comes across like a weak, more-of-the-same FPS underpinned by shallow RPG elements.

I'm amazed this game's sky high reviews - obviously people love it. I haven't been this disappointed by a sequel since Prince of Persia 2.
  36. Oct 15, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the best Action RPG's of this generation. Some people argue that the first was better, because of the lack of the RPG elements that were used in the first game. I can understand their need for these factors, as some people want a game that requires a lot of strategy. Yes, Mass Effect 2 isn't as strategic as the first, but that doesn't mean to say that's made theMass Effect 2 is one of the best Action RPG's of this generation. Some people argue that the first was better, because of the lack of the RPG elements that were used in the first game. I can understand their need for these factors, as some people want a game that requires a lot of strategy. Yes, Mass Effect 2 isn't as strategic as the first, but that doesn't mean to say that's made the game worse in any way. Actually, it exceeded far beyond my expectation. Especially the Universal Acclaim score of 96. The official critics are very accurate with their scores for this game. The graphics have been drastically improved, as well of the overall gameplay (new, and updated engine), with an amazing cast of voice charactors. Also (it's hard for this next part not to sound repetative) the world BioWare created is such a believable world, it makes you feel like you're playing an interactive version of the original Star Wars trilogy. When i finished Mass Effect 2 i was so damn impressed i needed to spread the word of how amazing this game is. Trust me, this isn't one you'll want to miss. And just for a side note; everyone who prefers the first game, it would be a great decision for you to ignore those factors that you loved about the first game that you wanted in the second game, and just play Mass Effect 2 again to experience how it was ment to be experienced. As an action adventure title, with great story-telling and plot. Then you will see why everyone loves it so much. Havn't you been confused of why everyone but you loved this game so much. Please do play the game again though, or you will be missing out. Expand
  37. Feb 1, 2012
    The taint of EA is strong in this one. It's still mass effect, but dumbed down for the increasingly large casual fan-base. Removal of the tank and large scale planetary exploration has reduced this game to a dull grind. Reduced inventory, levelup, and exploration features in exchange for slightly more entertaining writing. If you want to continue the fun story grab it, otherwise theThe taint of EA is strong in this one. It's still mass effect, but dumbed down for the increasingly large casual fan-base. Removal of the tank and large scale planetary exploration has reduced this game to a dull grind. Reduced inventory, levelup, and exploration features in exchange for slightly more entertaining writing. If you want to continue the fun story grab it, otherwise the gameplay is nothing impressive here. Rather disappointing sequel. And seriously. It's the second game and we still have only seen male aliens. (Excluding the blue fetish women) Expand
  38. Jan 2, 2013
    This game is everything Mass Effect wasn't. No exploration, now you slowly scan a planet and hope the game will allow you to land on the thing. Combat difficulty is no longer determined by player skill, but enemies who have infinite ammo, immunity to player attacks and can kill the player in 3 hits regardless of level. The storyline seems contrived; "Your going on a suicide mission".This game is everything Mass Effect wasn't. No exploration, now you slowly scan a planet and hope the game will allow you to land on the thing. Combat difficulty is no longer determined by player skill, but enemies who have infinite ammo, immunity to player attacks and can kill the player in 3 hits regardless of level. The storyline seems contrived; "Your going on a suicide mission". The whole game seems to be about collecting resources and trying to bed down one of your teammates. Virgins will get a kick out of that. FPS fans will enjoy the fact that there are little to no RPG elements that require them to use more than .006% of their brains to play this game. RPG fans will dislike this game's lackluster character development system. Me? I hate this game. Expand
  39. Apr 25, 2011
    Loved the first game, don't know what happen in this one. Feels that they didn't feel good with the game the first time and threw everything away. Is a complete different setting, instead of the council now it has a corporate sponsor. Horrible plots with lots of holes. The last one was sci-fi, this is like gossip girl on space. Arrrgh! I can't believe I wasted 60 bucks in this. Not buyingLoved the first game, don't know what happen in this one. Feels that they didn't feel good with the game the first time and threw everything away. Is a complete different setting, instead of the council now it has a corporate sponsor. Horrible plots with lots of holes. The last one was sci-fi, this is like gossip girl on space. Arrrgh! I can't believe I wasted 60 bucks in this. Not buying the next one for sure. And they can buy all the reviews they want. In the end, they know who are the real fans. Why buying an angry space shooter game if there is Gears, Half life, even Modern Warfare. What was this game offering that the others didn't? All that they threw it away. Expand
  40. Feb 13, 2012
    Based on only playing (and loving) the first game, this one seemed like a slap in the face. The premise being, that if you love a game, then surely the sequel will be made with you in mind, right? Wrong. These days it's all about catering to the haters, and throwing yourself after the lowest common denominator in pursuit of wider marketshare. This is probably the most disappointed I'veBased on only playing (and loving) the first game, this one seemed like a slap in the face. The premise being, that if you love a game, then surely the sequel will be made with you in mind, right? Wrong. These days it's all about catering to the haters, and throwing yourself after the lowest common denominator in pursuit of wider marketshare. This is probably the most disappointed I've ever been with a game in my life, and from all indications I've seen ME3 is following down the same path. We'll see. Expand
  41. Apr 5, 2011
    The disappointing follow up to a good (not great) game: Mass Effect. ME2 differs from the first ME in almost every regard. Gone are the opportunities to craft your own personalized weaponry (through mods). Gone is the focus on saving the galaxy from the "Reaper" threat. And gone is the weapon heatsink system and the Mako (granted, the mako sections had horrible level design, but it was funThe disappointing follow up to a good (not great) game: Mass Effect. ME2 differs from the first ME in almost every regard. Gone are the opportunities to craft your own personalized weaponry (through mods). Gone is the focus on saving the galaxy from the "Reaper" threat. And gone is the weapon heatsink system and the Mako (granted, the mako sections had horrible level design, but it was fun to drive). Instead, we are given a "recruitment" and monotony simulator, where we (the player) is tasked with recruiting a bunch of mercenaries, psychopaths, and forc- I mean, telepathy users. While the start of the game plays out nicely enough (balance of shooting, dialogue, and character development), it all ends up falling apart in the second Act. It is here that every single one of your squad members forgets that you are on a mission to stop the Collectors and starts whining to you to solve their "crippling" emotional and legal problems. Apparently, none of them want to utilize Kelly's counselling services (too cheery?). The game at this point shifts from "let's save the galaxy" to "Now counselling #267... #267?". Aside from the "Counselling Effect", game is further bogged down by the "scanning" minigame; necessary to obtain resources to upgrade the ship, and to do sidequests. Imagine having to do a 3 minute scan for every planet in a system... that's 10 minutes of nothing right there, per sector. Speaking of sidequests, they tend to have little to no impact on the main quest, or the game in general; they're just diversions with equipment upgrades thrown in to give you a reason to do them. DLC is poor as well (see: firewalker pack... that thing is supposed to replace the Mako?). There is an overabundance of dialogue in this game (an understatement), with many characters having long winded conversations with the NPC, which encourages dialogue skipping. Combat is similar to ME, but with a horribly inefficient "clip system", when compared to the heatsink systems in ME. This frustrates combat (especially against Collectors, who can become possessed and have their defenses regenerate instanteously). Tech powers and Biotics all share the same cooling system now, which is to say that if you use a power with a long cool down time, you will be crippled powerwise and techwise for that power's cooldown duration. Skill management has been severely reduced, from say 12 down to 5, leading to little customization of your character's skill set and a feeling a uniqueness. The A.I. is still pretty dumb; at times, they will use cover. But for the majority of your playthrough, they'll stand there and get shot repeatedly until they keel over and croak. Defenses are laughably weak in this game; in ME, you had the option of turning your suit of armor into a walking shield generator, ensuring you could soak up gunfire while poking out and taking potshots. In ME2, your defenses seem to be able to stand the collective force of four bullets before collapsing, and upgrades tend to do very little to increase their strength. The mechanics for how the end game plays out is ridiculous as well. Your squads ability to survive depends on the quality of your counselling services, upgrades to the ship, and upgrades found in boring side quests, and is not determine by skill, luck or chance. Instead, its determined by a series of conditions. Fail to meet just one of these conditions, and that teammate(s) chances of dying increase greatly, end of story . No epic gun battle, no consideration of the overall defense strength of your squad; just a behind the scenes checklist. Given the choice of the buffoons the Illusive Man wants me to recruit and run of the mill soldiers, i'd take the soldiers. At least they'd be focused on the mission, and wouldn't bug me about their "problems". Expand
  42. Mar 7, 2011
    You can stick a "W" in front of it but that doesn't make it an RPG. Mass Effect 2 is basically a glorified shooter that rips off elements from Japanese Visual Novels and Dating Sims, which these developers then mock. Mass Effect 2 also consists of some of the worst voice acting in any game ever and his really hard to take seriously due to bad voice actor choices. If this was a JRPGYou can stick a "W" in front of it but that doesn't make it an RPG. Mass Effect 2 is basically a glorified shooter that rips off elements from Japanese Visual Novels and Dating Sims, which these developers then mock. Mass Effect 2 also consists of some of the worst voice acting in any game ever and his really hard to take seriously due to bad voice actor choices. If this was a JRPG reviewers would be up in arms that, for example, when you leave your ship on a mission you can only take a few people with you, or point out how the plot basically just combines several different sci fi movie plots and is one big cliche. Apparently since it's a western game it's beyond these criticisms. This game is nothing special. Expand
  43. Aug 20, 2010
    Turned an honest but flawed attempt at a RPG/shooter hybrid into nothing but a dumbed down shooter with RPG residue.

Story sucks, characters are disconnected from anything but their own issues, and are expendable. The gameplay is repetative cover/shoot CONSTANTLY.

A massive disappointment all around, taking a great first attempt and turning into mediocre mass appeal trash.
  44. Aug 21, 2011
    Oh my God, what have you done Bioware? It took me a while to get used to ME 1 but at the end I was loving it. Now with ME 2 I cant even shoot and hit the target! The ammo is scarce, the characters are horrible, the missions are terrible, the story im not even following due to its heavy nonsense dialogue, the graphics are not that improved if not worse, the combat has taken a million stepsOh my God, what have you done Bioware? It took me a while to get used to ME 1 but at the end I was loving it. Now with ME 2 I cant even shoot and hit the target! The ammo is scarce, the characters are horrible, the missions are terrible, the story im not even following due to its heavy nonsense dialogue, the graphics are not that improved if not worse, the combat has taken a million steps back, the looting has been replaced by find a weapon each mission, the mining thing is shinny at the beginning but soon gets tiring... Where is WREX killing everything in sight, where is Ashley to whom i vowed at ME 1. Garrus makes me cry nowadays, he was RAD before. Saren was enormous as an enemy, now I dont even relate to my mission! Please BIOWARE, make Mass Effect 3 what it should be, or at least let me be able to shoot at 1 enemy without failing! Expand
  45. Nov 19, 2010
    Ever hear the expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Well, with Mass Effects 2, Bioware really fixed it. For starters, the main plot is nowhere near as well-written or cleverly developed across the gameplay experience as it was in ME1. The voice-acting is good, and the dialogue is good, but he main story arc is far too sparsely delivered, and the final boss fight is pure and utterEver hear the expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Well, with Mass Effects 2, Bioware really fixed it. For starters, the main plot is nowhere near as well-written or cleverly developed across the gameplay experience as it was in ME1. The voice-acting is good, and the dialogue is good, but he main story arc is far too sparsely delivered, and the final boss fight is pure and utter lameness. To add insult to injury, Bioware completely butchered the talent/power system, giving the tougher enemies special defenses that can only be taken down with a few key powers. This means that you are constantly using the same few powers over, and over, and OVER, and it is nothing like the wonderfully diverse and enjoyable talent/power system from ME1. This fact alone makes giving this game a good rating utterly impossible. In addition, Bioware decided to HEAVILY restrict the character customization options in ME2, for what reason I have no idea. They completely eliminated your ability to customize your teammates' armor/appearance, making it feel like they're barely your characters at all. They restrict the main character's armor choices to an insane degree, completely gutting ME1's L/M/H armor types and leaving the player with just a few bulky armors to choose from (and that's only if you buy all the DLC's), all of which look ridiculous. They oversimplified the skill/stat system to the point of stupidity, making leveling-up seem almost completely irrelevant. They removed entirely the ability to explore remote worlds with the vehicle, and instead replaced it with a horrendously boring mini-game with which to "mine" worlds for necessary resources. Lastly, because of all the restrictions Bioware decided to impose on the player in ME2, this game has ZERO replay value. Once you've done it, you never want to do it again. Basically, Mass Effect 2 is like Mass Effect 1, only with a LOT less stuff. Being a die-hard Bioware fan, this game was one of my biggest video game disappointments of all-time. Expand
  46. Jun 1, 2011
    Mass effect 1 was a good game but this one is just terrible, streamlined and boring. Doesn't capture the feel of the first one at all. I don't see any improvements (and I don't care about voice acting and graphics.)
  47. Aug 12, 2010
    Wait i just found out that it has no online. That doesn't matter but it would be better if it had online. I like Mass effect and the way that it changes the ending is very good but i thought the game would change more than the ending.
  48. Jan 19, 2011
    Limited range of movement and interaction on levels makes this very frustrating. I do like the dialogue options and gameplay is fun, other than what was previously mentioned. This leaves a lot to be desired and I think it is very overrated.
  49. Mar 22, 2011
    i don't like the game it just was boring and the game is so repetitive the game began to become a chore to play it is not worth buying maybe a rent...
  50. Jul 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played. Some of the RPG elements may have been taken out but it doesn't diminish from the experience that you get out of it. The writing and characters are all top notch. The was Bioware makes you care for your squadmates leading up to the suicide mission is superb. Play Mass Effect 1 and then play Mass Effect 2, you'll be doing yourself a favor.
  51. Jun 8, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is good and all, the story is good, the characters are interesting, the fighting is okay, and blah de blah; but I never felt immersed in the Mass Effect world. As the RPG I assume it is, it didn't feel like an RPG. It felt like a shooter with dialogue tossed in every now and again. This is not what I usually expect from Bioware. When I think Bioware, I think huge worlds likeMass Effect 2 is good and all, the story is good, the characters are interesting, the fighting is okay, and blah de blah; but I never felt immersed in the Mass Effect world. As the RPG I assume it is, it didn't feel like an RPG. It felt like a shooter with dialogue tossed in every now and again. This is not what I usually expect from Bioware. When I think Bioware, I think huge worlds like Baldur's Gate 2 and a ton of character development and side missions like KOTOR. Neither of those were here in Mass Effect 2. Sure, there were "planets," but you only ever really saw maybe one or two districts of it, probably less. Even if there was a big environment, there wasn't much you could explore. As far as character development goes, it was okay. There was about one side mission for each character, some dialogue that told their past, and that's it. In KOTOR, you got a lot of character development: hours of dialogue, a couple of side missions leading up to one big side mission, the characters interacted and talked to each other, there was always something new to learn about each character. Though, I do think that Mass Effect 2 wasn't going so much for the "huge, awesome world, lots of composition, thinking man's game" sort of style like KOTOR. It was probably going more for a "third person shooter with a good story." Mass Effect 2 is like if Uncharted was an RPG, and in space, sort of...

Anyway, if you've ever wanted to play the game, you probably already own it. If your still on the verge of getting it, it's cheap nowadays so go right ahead. When you're done with it, trade it in for something else, it's not really worth keeping unless you want to see every possible outcome of the game.
  52. Jul 25, 2011
    Impresionante, uno de los mejores juegos que he tenido el placer de disfrutar. La historia es completamente de novela de ciencia ficción, Un RPG excepcional, acompañado por una buena ambientación. Gráficos a la altura de los tiempos, gran calidad, emoción, seducción, acción y una jugabilidad queImpresionante, uno de los mejores juegos que he tenido el placer de disfrutar. La historia es completamente de novela de ciencia ficción, Un RPG excepcional, acompañado por una buena ambientación. Gráficos a la altura de los tiempos, gran calidad, emoción, seducción, acción y una jugabilidad que al principio (hasta que terminas de entender como se usa tu personaje y como complementarlo con tus compañeros que tienes en el equipo) parece aburrida e incluso un poco difícil de entender, pero luego de pasar algunas misiones esto se convierte en un control sencillo e imprescindible para sobrevivir en cada fase.
    Totalmente recomendado para pasar unas cuantas semanas sumergido en una historia sumamente original.
    Recomiendo guardar las partidas en forma manual, ya que el autoguardado te puede dar sorpresas inesperadas, como morir al final de una fase y tener que empezarla casi desde el p¡rincipio !!!
    Conclusión: comprarlo sin dudar, ya que la segunda parte esta en el mercado hace tiempo y ya sale una tercera que promete dejarnos con la boca abierta.

Un saludo

Luchinelrey (Luchin Shepard para los amigos) XD
  53. Nov 1, 2011
    Under all the glitz and polish, bioware tried to sneak in the fact that they think gamers are stupid. Has no one else noticed that their writers ran out of good ideas ages ago? I can forgive small similarities with other sci fi series but most of the Mass Effect universe is recycled! Babylon 5 had most of these ideas 5-10 years ago. Its atrocious! The lack of depth or consequence is veryUnder all the glitz and polish, bioware tried to sneak in the fact that they think gamers are stupid. Has no one else noticed that their writers ran out of good ideas ages ago? I can forgive small similarities with other sci fi series but most of the Mass Effect universe is recycled! Babylon 5 had most of these ideas 5-10 years ago. Its atrocious! The lack of depth or consequence is very poor. The emphasis on third person shooting lacks imagination. A story that could be written by a 12year old, all this is unforgivable. Expand
  54. Mar 6, 2012
    Good game, but not quite as good of a story as the first one. Combat was improved, but at the cost of a lot of the fun things from the first game. These are as bad of knocks because it is the middle game and has to continue the plot but leave enough for another game. I will complain a little about the females in the game. You have the perfect girl (Miranda) who complains she is tooGood game, but not quite as good of a story as the first one. Combat was improved, but at the cost of a lot of the fun things from the first game. These are as bad of knocks because it is the middle game and has to continue the plot but leave enough for another game. I will complain a little about the females in the game. You have the perfect girl (Miranda) who complains she is too perfect.and the Vietnam vet who is a jerk but then everyone should like her because she actually has a ton of daddy issues (Jack). Kind of annoying.

Would be a 9 if not for all the obviously cut story for DLC.
  55. Mar 10, 2012
    Having just played ME and then ME2 for the first time this past week while I've been sick, I fail to see how ME2 is so much better, other than perhaps combat at times, and for me even that is questionable since I've never been a fan of FTS, much less TPS. Having studied and seriously pursued writing in the past myself, I can instantly see that the storytelling if flawed, right from theHaving just played ME and then ME2 for the first time this past week while I've been sick, I fail to see how ME2 is so much better, other than perhaps combat at times, and for me even that is questionable since I've never been a fan of FTS, much less TPS. Having studied and seriously pursued writing in the past myself, I can instantly see that the storytelling if flawed, right from the start, the developers use a much maligned storytelling device "deus ex machina" to set up an excuse for making Shepard have to assemble a new crew and start over. Instead of having to actually plot in detail, just kill her off and make her disappear for a few years.

They've thrown away important plot elements from the first story completely, or just plain ignored them except when it's convenient for them to do otherwise. The very start of the story is built upon a shaky foundation and it just unravels more as you play. The most unbelievable portion for me, is that Shepard, given who Cereberus is and what they've done in ME1, would ever agree to work with Cereberus. Not only that, but the fact that Shepard is a full fledged Specter and an Alliance commander is completely ignored. Shepard managed to do all the same stuff in ME1 that she does in ME2, WITHOUT Cereberus. They make it entirely clear in the first game that a Spectre's powers are far reaching and even the Council rarely reins a Spectre's powers in. But for some reason, in spite of this, Shepard is helpless and can't do ANYTHING without Cereberus's help. In fact, you never seriously are given the chance to refuse to work with them. You're boxed into the choice. So much for BioWare's allowing the player choice in their games.

Oh, but they have an answer for that too, you've been dead for 2 years. Convenient again. Too convenient, and again falling back on that frowned upon "deus ex machina" mechanic, and not well done either at that. After that, every other bit of the storyline is flawed and unbelievable to me, and that one hole in the plot just adds up to more unbelievable holes further into the plot.

I loved ME1, I loved the rpg elements especially, so one of my other complaints is that the Mass Effect series seems to be having an Identity Crisis. Yes, they are an rpg, no they aren't an rpg, no they're a tps with rpg elements. What the heck is that, rpg elements? Please, make up your mind, are you a tps or a rpg? Not only that, but there is absolutely NO WAY you are not going to alienate fans of the ME1 rpg hybrid when you decide to make ME2 be anything other than an rpg hybrid. Notice they don't even attempt to use that phrase anymore, now they use this vague "rpg elements" phrase. What the heck is that supposed to mean? Hybrid at least tells me it's a mix of the two, elements tells me nothing. The developers, after ME1 seem to have lost all focus, and threw out the baby with the bathwater a bit too much for my tastes. Perhaps they listened to too many complaints, all I know is from what I can see in the games, they failed to stay true to their original vision for the series, and the series has greatly suffered because of it.

First it was an rpg hybrid, with the first emphasis on rpg, then it became a shooter with rpg elements, with the emphasis on shooter. If that doesn't tell you where they lost focus, nothing else will.
  56. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a reasonably good game on its own, but serves as a pretty crappy sequel to it's predecessor, the sublime Mass Effect. The game does a lot of things really well, most notably the deep characterizations of all its cast. Where it falls short, however, is in the narrative. The game starts out with a jarring disconnection from ME1, Shepard's death and 2 year resuscitation period. The game then goes on to implausibly establish Cerberus, characterized as a small-time rogue alliance black ops group in Mass Effect, as some sort of covert super organization with financing and intelligence networks the Alliance can only dream of, and as Shepard's benefactor. You're then forced to work for them, ordered to carry out missions agains The Collectors, a threat we're told is related to the Reapers, though how Cerberus formed this suspicion is never made clear. You proceed to spend the entire game going around, hiring volunteers to your cause (who never need convincing), while waiting for Cerberus to tell you what the Collectors are up to and when to go after them again. The story as a whole is very flimsy, and throughout it feels like Shepard is just Cerberus' gofer, which starkly contrasts with ME1, where Shepard uncovers the plot through his own actions and interrogations. The Mass Effect series purports to be story-driven, so when the story isn't good, as is the case here, it's pretty distracting, no matter how good the rest of the game is. I can't talk about ME2 though without talking about how awesome all of the characterizations are. I loved some characters, hated others and came to love some that I initially hated. In every case, the characters are strong, have substance and depth, and are worth talking to. The value of ME2 can be found here, and it's a shame the rest of the game couldn't reach the same level of standard. Expand
  57. Sep 22, 2012
    Every once in a while, there comes along a game (or movie or book) that just has to be seen by everyone capable of doing so. In 2007, Bioware hit that note with Mass Effect, and now, they've done it again. Mass Effect 2 is just outstanding, in every way that counts.
  58. Sep 9, 2013
    How to ruin a cool space adventure series. A game for the masses, this is Gears of War in space. The first Mass Effect game was an epic and fun space adventure. It had a big open world to explore, a large number of side missions, and a highly detailed weapons and armor customization system. In addition the combat itself was highly tactical and strategic All of that is virtually gone withHow to ruin a cool space adventure series. A game for the masses, this is Gears of War in space. The first Mass Effect game was an epic and fun space adventure. It had a big open world to explore, a large number of side missions, and a highly detailed weapons and armor customization system. In addition the combat itself was highly tactical and strategic All of that is virtually gone with ME2. They replaced a fun and adventurous storyline with a boring and soapy 'Seven Samurai' themed one. They heavily reduced the open world environment, dramatically shortened the number of side missions available to you, and practically removed all the gear and weapons customization. The combat has become simplified into a duck-and-cover format where no tactics are required, you just point and shoot. As an offshoot of the Mass Effect series it would have been a good game, but as a direct sequel it is not. It has ruined the whole series for me. It completely severs the flow of the series' overarching storyline. However if you just want a pretty game filled to the brink with drama and where you get to shoot stuff and seduce NPCs I guess you'll really like it. Me, I'm left asking myself where all the fun, excitement and adventure went. I expected Star Trek but got Battlestar Galactica instead. It is science fiction turned boring. Expand
  59. Feb 24, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game. The story telling is great, the atmosphere is there. It does look very good. I enjoyed every minute of it. The game completely sucked me in. It also is the only game that actually made me write poetry about it. The characters are almost alive and are very human. It is like playing a very well made movie. On the negative side - similar to the the first ME, II absolutely loved this game. The story telling is great, the atmosphere is there. It does look very good. I enjoyed every minute of it. The game completely sucked me in. It also is the only game that actually made me write poetry about it. The characters are almost alive and are very human. It is like playing a very well made movie. On the negative side - similar to the the first ME, I found the UI and interaction a little bit confusing, though there was a noticeable improvement. Also, a character customisation was a bit of a let down. Apart from that, this is a perfectly well mage game. Bravo. Expand
  60. Jan 17, 2015
    Awful; nothing like Mass Effect 1. This is where Bioware killed the Mass effect franchise. Awful upgrading, awful weapons, awful writing, awful story, ok characters, no exploration, awful game.
  61. Oct 29, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is the poster child for non-linear storytelling. With perhaps the finest cast of characters in gaming, and tons of replayability, Mass Effect 2 is an epic sci-fi adventure that shouldn't be missed.
  62. Jan 26, 2012
    Mass Effect was...pretty good. But the level design and planet exploration sections were pure dump, and so BioWare had something to improve on. So they did. And they improved everything else as well, just for good measure. ME2 is a fantastic tale, using the traditional Dirty Dozen formulae and making it work. Each character is brilliantly realised, each location fullly immersive, eachMass Effect was...pretty good. But the level design and planet exploration sections were pure dump, and so BioWare had something to improve on. So they did. And they improved everything else as well, just for good measure. ME2 is a fantastic tale, using the traditional Dirty Dozen formulae and making it work. Each character is brilliantly realised, each location fullly immersive, each battle exciting and frantic. ME2 has only one flaw, which is the weak shooting. Guns just don't feel good, and as solid as other aspects of the combat are, the shooting just ain't up to scratch. But that's a minor complaint really, because ME2 is, in many ways, amazing. Expand
  63. Nov 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a game meant for people who want an experience, and not just "play" a video game. You live the game and saviour every single second of this magnificent space opera. This game is one of the few modern games that has a classic gaming feel to it. It is also like "Science Fiction Porn"; there are so many things that are "spacey" and future-esque some hardcore nerds wouldMass Effect 2 is a game meant for people who want an experience, and not just "play" a video game. You live the game and saviour every single second of this magnificent space opera. This game is one of the few modern games that has a classic gaming feel to it. It is also like "Science Fiction Porn"; there are so many things that are "spacey" and future-esque some hardcore nerds would probably **** in their pants. If that wasn't erotic enough for fan boys, there's also romantic relations you can start with your crew, even the aliens.

The story may not have the surprise of the first one, but it certainly lives up to it. The first Mass Effect was more about soaking in the story and the feel of living in the future. This one has stronger character relationships and has more intense side missions than the first one. Mass Effect 2 is more an action game than Mass Effect 1, but it is still very involving action.

Mass Effect 2 is not a video game; it is a piece of art.
  64. Jan 23, 2012
    Lookback Review: Since Mass Effect 3 is only 2 months away and it might as well be or will be one of the greatest games ever made and the game that has completely consumed me with hype and anticipation since Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'm going to look back into Mass Effect 2, my first ever game review on this site. It's been two years and I still consider Mass Effect 2 to be the greatestLookback Review: Since Mass Effect 3 is only 2 months away and it might as well be or will be one of the greatest games ever made and the game that has completely consumed me with hype and anticipation since Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'm going to look back into Mass Effect 2, my first ever game review on this site. It's been two years and I still consider Mass Effect 2 to be the greatest Xbox 360 game I have ever played up to now (The Mass Effect series was born on the 360 and it plays better on the 360 so it's a 360 game to me) and one of my all time favourite games ever. To sum up the whole series itself, The Mass Effect series, in my opinion, is one of the greatest Science Fiction series ever made and it is up there with Star Wars, Dr. Who and Star Trek. Its mythology and settings are imaginative and well thought out, the story is amazingly compelling and superbly written,its characters are unforgettable and endearing and the greatest thing about it; you decide how this story goes and ends. If Star Wars had a choice mechanic, I would've shot Jar-Jar straight away. I'm digressing. Mass Effect 2 delivers better than the first Mass Effect with a darker, higher stake story, better written script, a cast of amazing and interesting characters, intuitive combat mechanics, more accessible yet still complex RPG elements and better visuals. Another great thing about this game is that you can transfer your Mass Effect save file and this is the thing that made Mass Effect 2 great and the thing that cemented the series as one of the greats in my opinion. If you want to experience Mass Effect 2 in full effect, save your Mass Effect game file. The result will be one of the most personal gaming experiences. The choices that you make in Mass Effect makes a huge impact on how Mass Effect 2's story will go and the same with Mass Effect 3 when it finally comes out. If you are planning to get Mass Effect 3, get Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 first and spend your 2 months playing through those games and preparing any story you want for Mass Effect 3's final climax. What more can I say about this game and this whole series? Mass Effect 2 is a triple A title brimming with absolute sci-fi and gaming heaven. The Mass Effect series is one of the best gaming franchise to come out of this generation and in my opinion, one of the greatest sci-fi series ever made. Expand
  65. Feb 7, 2014
    The high point of the series. Super epic space shooter that immersed me in it's universe and made me come to genuinely want to stay and protect a corner of it. And there is alot of it. Play this!
  66. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is amazing. People will complain about its supposed "lack of RPG elements" but the series keeps all of the ones that actually matter. The only elements that are scrapped were armor/weapon customization and some planet exploration. The side missions are not as ridiculously similar as ME1 and the combat mechanics are greatly improved. Characters and dialogue are more interesting,This game is amazing. People will complain about its supposed "lack of RPG elements" but the series keeps all of the ones that actually matter. The only elements that are scrapped were armor/weapon customization and some planet exploration. The side missions are not as ridiculously similar as ME1 and the combat mechanics are greatly improved. Characters and dialogue are more interesting, weapons cooler, and classes are fleshed out and much more interesting. I have completed 8 playthroughs of this game. Ive been the archetypical chivalrous hero and I've experienced the rebellious renegade **** who gets the job done. A great game from start to finish. Expand
  67. Mar 25, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is not only the best game in the ME trilogy; it's the best game I've ever played. It's not a perfect game but it comes about as close as a game of its ambition can. Essentially, the game is about the ME universe and involves the player developing personal relationships with characters from all over the galaxy. It is an extremely personal experience that sucks you into itsMass Effect 2 is not only the best game in the ME trilogy; it's the best game I've ever played. It's not a perfect game but it comes about as close as a game of its ambition can. Essentially, the game is about the ME universe and involves the player developing personal relationships with characters from all over the galaxy. It is an extremely personal experience that sucks you into its world and makes you forget about yours. Some people have complained that the main story is not focused enough, that the RPG elements are too streamlined, that the level design is too simple... Look, those people have a point, but what's more important than specifics is the overall experience, and the overall experience of Mass Effect 2 is unparalleled. Expand
  68. Sep 13, 2012
    How DARE the haters rate this game down! This is a truly fantastic game with a meaningful story with brilliant dialogue and characters, and improves on the first game in every way. Some of the best graphics, no, the best graphics I've ever seen from a game! Great combat, and plenty of replayability. The best part though is probably the ability to import your first character form the firstHow DARE the haters rate this game down! This is a truly fantastic game with a meaningful story with brilliant dialogue and characters, and improves on the first game in every way. Some of the best graphics, no, the best graphics I've ever seen from a game! Great combat, and plenty of replayability. The best part though is probably the ability to import your first character form the first Mass Effect, and all the choices you made in the first effects this one! So my advice to you is to play the first Mass Effect, which was great, and then play the 2nd one, which is perfect. Expand
  69. Jun 28, 2011
    The first Mass Effect game was a truly spectacular game with an amazing world, lovable characters, and game changing mechanics like the spectacular conversation wheel, but suffered from frame-rate issues and glitches, and serious combat issues, and a pain in the butt inventory, and Bioware has improved those flaws but has also created some more, the combat system has been completelyThe first Mass Effect game was a truly spectacular game with an amazing world, lovable characters, and game changing mechanics like the spectacular conversation wheel, but suffered from frame-rate issues and glitches, and serious combat issues, and a pain in the butt inventory, and Bioware has improved those flaws but has also created some more, the combat system has been completely redone, the controls are as smooth as butter, aiming is better do to a better reticle, and the cover system finally works, also the frame-rate issues are also completely gone, and there are some very hard to notice glitches, but they don't detract from the experience, and the inventory has been completely removed for more helpful load out systems, and the story is awesome once again and really sets the pace for Mass Effect 3, and also along side the conversation wheel Bioware has included another game changer in the form of allowing you to import you character from the first Mass Effect, which means all your choices carry over, and there are tons of references to your previous adventure, and makes this a more personal experience do to dialog with characters, and they also added another cool feature where during sequences with the pull of a trigger you can instantly make a Paragon or Renegade choice, which make a sweet and touching moment, or a evil and hilarious moment, and the new loyalty missions make connecting with your teammates more enjoyable, and Bioware FINALLY!!!! included free-roam in one of there games which is something I was hoping they would start doing in there games since the first Mass Effect, but this game isn't without it's flaws, while most of the new characters are fantastic and live up to the expectations set by the first game, some feel incomplete and dull, like Miranda and Jacob for instance, Jacob seems to lack any emotion or personality outside of one line of dialog, and it feels like they just left out most of Miranda's character, she just seems incomplete, so the most enjoyable characters are the ones that return from the first game, and they took more of a story based approach which left out a lot of player choice, which means you never really get the feeling your making a huge impact on the world other than just saving it, I mean there are one or two moments where you have to make a big choice near the end of the game but then it just seems to late, but you still do have the choices during character interactions so it's not all bad I just expected more epic choices like those that made the first game so awesome and set it and Bioware apart from the pack, I just expected more from Bioware judging from there other titles, and you will run into some random load times while exploring, but the epic story, enjoyable characters, beautiful world, better combat, free roam, the ability to import characters from the first game, and just the signature Bioware charm, insures that this is an experience you'll never forget. Expand
  70. Aug 17, 2013
    tains spoilers, click expand to view. Worth it, simply worth it. The sequel of the 2007's ''Mass Effect'' clearly projected an extremely high amount of improvements based on enemy/squad mate AI, game-play flow and especially the enriched variety of characters, back stories, missions (especially the loyalty missions that prolong your enjoyment in gaming for days) and empathy towards eachtains spoilers, click expand to view. Worth it, simply worth it. The sequel of the 2007's ''Mass Effect'' clearly projected an extremely high amount of improvements based on enemy/squad mate AI, game-play flow and especially the enriched variety of characters, back stories, missions (especially the loyalty missions that prolong your enjoyment in gaming for days) and empathy towards each squad mate in the Normandy SR-2. The game play value of replaying it again allows you to get more experience of what it is like to be either a Renegade or a Paragon Shepard towards significant characters, the fear it strikes in fans through introducing the Collectors, the antagonists that inhabit the Omega 4 Relay reveals more shocking secrets about the Reapers and the Protheans who were enslaved to become the enigmatic Collectors. The story is properly set out the way it should be, the emotional drive it provides by having your Shepard develop loyal squad mates and listening to their past shows how much depth Bioware intended to go by expressing that sense of diversity. Even those little comical, yet seemingly insignificant little moments like when you pick the Intimidate option of accusing the Asari shopkeeper of classism results in one just on casual Turian standing there (who possibly doesn't give a adds up to Mass Effect 2 being the perfect game in external genre components like comedy and drama (by having empathy towards your dossier squad mates while having conversations after missions). Best game of the Mass Effect Trilogy, perfect game play (excluding the limited weapon and equipment variety that was annoying!) and perfect character-focused pieces of the aesthetic sci-fi video game! EA didn't have much control over the game until ME3 which I was glad, so yeah, Bioware proved consistency in their gaming storyiline originality Expand
  71. Oct 17, 2011
    The people who are giving this game negative reviews might as well be rating their own maturity, because I haven't seen a single negative review done with common sense rather than butt-hurt ranting and crying about review conspiracies and other bull **** Mass Effect 2 isn't "dumbed-down" as much as it is streamlined. All the changes they made were intended to give the player more timeThe people who are giving this game negative reviews might as well be rating their own maturity, because I haven't seen a single negative review done with common sense rather than butt-hurt ranting and crying about review conspiracies and other bull **** Mass Effect 2 isn't "dumbed-down" as much as it is streamlined. All the changes they made were intended to give the player more time exploring and playing and less time searching through inventories and menus and waiting in elevators. The game won game of the year for a reason: it's simply one of the best - if not the best - singleplayer games ever created. The atmosphere and story create one of the most immersive and best experiences for sale anywhere. Everyone who **** about lack of depth or personality, or simply rants and hypocritically calls the rest of the world stupid are just people who didn't see what they wanted at the beginning, immediately made up their mind and populated their false ideas with made-up negativities and conspiracies, and refused to experience the rest of the game. In short: their just a bunch of trolls. I didn't think the quality of this game needed to be restated but after reading the absurdly ignorant dribble of particular users like OG and dtuner and others (but I couldn't possibly name them all), I had to drop one more 10 in the bucket, because this game earns it more than any other game I've ever played. I suppose there's always going to be a few basement-dwellers that insist on trying to **** on perfection, but case in point, if you're not a basement-dwelling troll and you play video-games, this one has to be part of your library. If it isn't already, then do so and I guarantee it'll be the best money you ever spent on a video game. Expand
  72. Nov 26, 2011
    Needs more RPG cowbell. You can't have too much RPG cowbell. Yeah it's pretty, but it's not really an RPG anymore, more like a Third Person Shooter Lite. Still, a good game, but I miss the RPG cowbell.
  73. Jul 13, 2011
    BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic amazed me when i bought it. After being weaned in hardcore first-person shooters for years, it was one of those 'what's this?' moments when I started playing it. However, it hooked me in from the start, dragging me through a fantastic galaxy-spanning story populated by unique characters and amazing set-pieces. It really captured the StarBioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic amazed me when i bought it. After being weaned in hardcore first-person shooters for years, it was one of those 'what's this?' moments when I started playing it. However, it hooked me in from the start, dragging me through a fantastic galaxy-spanning story populated by unique characters and amazing set-pieces. It really captured the Star Wars spirit. But there was one problem: the combat. While it was good enough, it lacked a sense of action or direction when you chose what attacks your player character performed and to be honest it felt quite weak and clumsy. When I picked up Mass Effect 2 at HMV, however, I wasn't just amazed: I was blown away. Mass Effect 2 irons out all the flaws in modern RPGs and takes the genre to a new level. In fact, it irons out the flaws in everything. The combat is perfectly balanced, the graphics are spectacular, the voice acting is tremendous (especially by Martin Sheen's exceptional performance) and it captures a true feeling of science-fiction. This is one of the best RPGs, let alone one of the best games, of all time. Buy it now. Expand
  74. Feb 1, 2012
    This is surely one of the best game that ever been created. Gameplay, characters, sound, graphics, are awesome, with a small exception of the main storyline (interesting, although a little short). Over all, you will experience many wonderful fights before enter the epic ending mission. A masterpiece that hardcore gamer shouldn't miss
  75. Jun 12, 2013
    Having defeated the invading Reapers Commander Shepard learns that an even greater threat has emerged. In the far reaches of space something has started abducting entire human colonies and Shepard has little choice but to work with the questionable Cerberus organisation to stop the most terrifying threat mankind has ever faced.

Despite its flaws the first Mass Effect took the action

Despite its flaws the first Mass Effect took the action role player to a new level and this sequel improves upon it in nearly every way. In order to succeed the player must convince the best from around the galaxy to join their cause. The stories of these characters and your interactions with them are the driving force behind the majority of the game and this is all helped along by the improved conversation wheel that makes talking to your crew fluid and engaging.

The third person combat is also largely improved and now plays very much like a simplified version of Gears of War, the art of using cover now vitally important. Of course the character traits, such as cloaking and levitation powers are still present. Those that played the original will also be pleased to know that the slow loading times and long elevator rides have been almost completely removed.

The only criticism of this sequel would be the addition of resource gathering. This involves a dull planet scanning mini-game to collect minerals that can be used upgrade or build new armour and weapons and seems completely unnecessary. This is however a minor blip in a game that sets a new standard of what can be achieved in the role playing genre.
  76. Jul 22, 2012
    Mass effect 2 is an outstanding game, the storyline is fantistic and characters interesting. Also it follows on well from the original mass effect game. If you like your sci fi with rpg and action elements in your games then this is an absolute must. In my view one of the best games to be released on the x box 360 console. Wasnt mad about the upgrade and levelling system, if this had haveMass effect 2 is an outstanding game, the storyline is fantistic and characters interesting. Also it follows on well from the original mass effect game. If you like your sci fi with rpg and action elements in your games then this is an absolute must. In my view one of the best games to be released on the x box 360 console. Wasnt mad about the upgrade and levelling system, if this had have been better this game may have got that illusive 10 out of 10. All in all fantastic game and a must play for rpg fans. Brilliant. Expand
  77. Oct 11, 2011
    The Mass Effect games have been some of the best games I have ever played with all its Sci-fi goodness. I love ME2 I have played through the game with every class type. If you like Sci-fi you will enjoy this game's story.I also enjoy shooters and ME2 has some of the best 3rd person shooting I have seen, plus hitting a bad-guy in the face with warp(biotic power) is very enjoyable in my opinion.
  78. Sep 7, 2013
    This is definitely the best game in the Mass Effect series, and one of the best of the generation. The story is incredibly entertaining, and in my books ranks up there with the best sic-fi stories ever told. This includes the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. Perhaps most important and significant is the excellent character development. Considering the fact that you have a large team, itThis is definitely the best game in the Mass Effect series, and one of the best of the generation. The story is incredibly entertaining, and in my books ranks up there with the best sic-fi stories ever told. This includes the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. Perhaps most important and significant is the excellent character development. Considering the fact that you have a large team, it is truly impressive that the player was able to feel for and understand each and every one of the team. There is a lot to do, with the side missions actually being incredibly well done. Some side missions, like the "mining" were very tedious and receptive. The devs understood this and tried to make it optional, but in truth it was necessary to get the best possible ending. This leads to the excellent way that choices are made. The ability to import decisions from the first Mass Effect into this was really cool. In addition, there were definitely some hard decisions to make (not many). However, you definitely felt that there were different approaches to each situation. The gameplay was fun, but not the best in the genre. I was never bored by it, but it was not something that will be remembered. The game, however, should be played, and is a blast to play. It keeps your interest the entire time, and is well worth playing. Expand
  79. Jul 7, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game with very cinematic experience. It blends RPG elements with 3rd person shooter combat, as well as an engaging story that will keep you playing for hours. The cast of voice actors are terrific voicing their characters and very convincing . Graphics are one of the best I seen and are gorgeous and breathtaking. The only downside is is mining planets forMass Effect 2 is an amazing game with very cinematic experience. It blends RPG elements with 3rd person shooter combat, as well as an engaging story that will keep you playing for hours. The cast of voice actors are terrific voicing their characters and very convincing . Graphics are one of the best I seen and are gorgeous and breathtaking. The only downside is is mining planets for upgrades can get very tedious and customization of weapons and other things from the 1st Mass Effect are removed, but overall it is the best and most epic game I ever played 10/10. Expand
  80. Jul 9, 2011
    There is so much to say about this game, I don't know where to start. It offers a fantastically diverse selection of teammates, an original and engaging story, akin to Star Wars and Star Trek, a level of freedom of choice in plot decisions that allow for a much more personal gaming experience than some more hard-core RPG fans would lead you to believe. Walking a line between "space opera"There is so much to say about this game, I don't know where to start. It offers a fantastically diverse selection of teammates, an original and engaging story, akin to Star Wars and Star Trek, a level of freedom of choice in plot decisions that allow for a much more personal gaming experience than some more hard-core RPG fans would lead you to believe. Walking a line between "space opera" and "soap opera", Mass Effect 2 balances itself with healthy doses of epic battle scenes and terrifying monsters, and intimate player-to-character relationships. Some argue that Mass Effect 2 is too watered-down and streamlined to be considered an RPG, but its style of immersing the player in its imaginative world through breath-taking cinematics and easily accessible weapons and armour, make for a fantastically real and engaging RPG experience without being bogged down with vast item lists and complicated leveling systems. Mass Effect 2 is a game that will please most RPG fans and action game fans alike. Expand
  81. Jan 26, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 shines despite a few blemishes thanks to its simplistic yet satisfying and exciting combat , the rich and well detailed galaxy , the emotional attachment that the game intills in the gamer , the epic finale that can either leave you in awe or despair and the sheer dexterity with which BioWare have manged to interweave all these wonderful elements .
  82. Jan 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a amazing game. I was throughly impressed with the quality of your companions as well the quality of their mission. The main story moves along to a simply awesome climax. This remains one of my very favorite games to this day.
  83. Nov 9, 2011
    Currently my favorite game on any console. The story is awesome, the level of detail is flawless. The only reason I do not give this game a 10 is that they took so much out after the first game.
  84. Sep 21, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games out there. The story, game play, and characters mix to make an amazing game! I never once got bored and couldn't wait to get to the end, which by the way is just plain outstanding! What I like most about this game is the Mass Effect universe, the amount of detail put into the races and planets make the game so emersive! A must own.
  85. Jan 27, 2012
    Gameplay is maybe the worse aspect of Mass Effect 2, and sometimes it feels like a weird Gears of War, but this game goes deeper than most of games I've played. The RPG elements are simple and intelligent. Choices system is something different that you don't see in every game, but in Mass Effect 2 it is complex and amazing. Oh, the main missions last about 15 hours, but you won't want toGameplay is maybe the worse aspect of Mass Effect 2, and sometimes it feels like a weird Gears of War, but this game goes deeper than most of games I've played. The RPG elements are simple and intelligent. Choices system is something different that you don't see in every game, but in Mass Effect 2 it is complex and amazing. Oh, the main missions last about 15 hours, but you won't want to do only them, because the secondary missions feel like primary ones, and how you get into them (by exploring planets in a weird eletronic galaxy map) is awesome. Mass Effect 2 is not perfect, but the way it is different from many games out there makes I recommend this to nearly everyone. Expand
  86. Oct 13, 2011
    The game has a very nice story, not as innovative as ME1, but still a good one. The visuals are better looking and they have made the game more action oriented. Better weapon, better controls, still not a decent 3rd-PS game, compared to GOW games for instance. I don't really enjoy the dialogues and multiple choices. There is a lot of time wasted in this game. Esp. when you are digging forThe game has a very nice story, not as innovative as ME1, but still a good one. The visuals are better looking and they have made the game more action oriented. Better weapon, better controls, still not a decent 3rd-PS game, compared to GOW games for instance. I don't really enjoy the dialogues and multiple choices. There is a lot of time wasted in this game. Esp. when you are digging for resources. Overall, I really enjoyed this game but that's just the story and visuals. Not the gameplay. I beat the game 3 times but I can't find any other reasons to play it again. That is only 30 hrs of gameplay. I don't think I will buy ME3. Expand
  87. Mar 16, 2012
    I didn't like how they simplified the rpg elements as compared to mass effect 1. But, I still enjoyed the game a lot. The combat is less tactical, but still works.
  88. Oct 23, 2011
    This game game is great in many aspects (graphics,music score, voice acting, TPS gameplay, dialogs and story), however it has a very fake feeling of you having a choice, the game is trying to make you feel like you have a choice, but overall it still leads in the same direction, there are 3 major endings, which makes for a good replayability of the last mission just to see the differentThis game game is great in many aspects (graphics,music score, voice acting, TPS gameplay, dialogs and story), however it has a very fake feeling of you having a choice, the game is trying to make you feel like you have a choice, but overall it still leads in the same direction, there are 3 major endings, which makes for a good replayability of the last mission just to see the different endings, but that's all. There no sidequests that may interest you like in Bethesda's RPG's , and after you have completed the main story you dont have much to do with the game unless you are an achievement hunter, but still it's one hell of a ride for around 20-24 hours.Oh, and one more thing: it's not an RPG how every one claims it be. It's a TPS (Thirs Person Shooter) with RPG elements. Expand
  89. Mar 18, 2013
    I pre-ordered this game immediately after I watched the cinematic trailer, without ever having played Mass Effect 1. It was literally love at first sight, Mass Effect 2 became my favorite game of all time. Mass Effect 2 has the best character development ever with your squad-mates, never before have I actually cared about the characters in a videogame. They all seem to make the experienceI pre-ordered this game immediately after I watched the cinematic trailer, without ever having played Mass Effect 1. It was literally love at first sight, Mass Effect 2 became my favorite game of all time. Mass Effect 2 has the best character development ever with your squad-mates, never before have I actually cared about the characters in a videogame. They all seem to make the experience real, with awesome voice acting and unique backgrounds and personalities. The graphics are fantastic, even better than Mass Effect 3's in my opinion. The writing is perfect, and the music is memorable and epic. I give this game a 9.9 out of 10, my only complaint being the searching for resources by scanning planets. Other then that, what a perfect game! :D Expand
  90. Jun 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is the follow on from the amazing Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 is bigger and better than it's predecessor, boasting outstanding story telling, action and voice acting. Mass Effect 2 starts off with a bang! Shepard is still on the Normandy with his crew but is being sent to fight Geth and not the real threat, The Reapers. Then a mysterious ship appears and attacks theMass Effect 2 is the follow on from the amazing Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 is bigger and better than it's predecessor, boasting outstanding story telling, action and voice acting. Mass Effect 2 starts off with a bang! Shepard is still on the Normandy with his crew but is being sent to fight Geth and not the real threat, The Reapers. Then a mysterious ship appears and attacks the Normandy. Shepard's body is then recovered by the Human organisation known as Cerberus and is reconstructed by them, known as the Laserus Project. Upon being brought back from death Shepard joins up with Cerberus to terminate 'The Reapers' and their new pawns of war, 'The Collector's' As well as being task to create the perfect team for the job, introducing new characters as well as some of the favorites from Mass Effect 1. There are some faults to Mass Effect 2 though. Bioware have introduced a planet scanning system which can sometime get a bit... Tedious to say the least. Scanning the planets seems more like a chore than anything. But scanning planets is vital to the game if you want the 'best' outcome for the game. Plus you can encounter side missions from scanning planets so it's not all bad! Once again Mass Effect 2 offer's an enjoyable experience like no other RPG and connects you with the each character on a personal level. Plus you can import your save from ME1 and have a direct impact on the story and once again you can have a completely different out come to your mates story, this is what makes Mass Effect such special franchise! Expand
  91. Mar 18, 2012
    In short, Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of the generation. It takes the universe introduced in the original, gives it a darker plot and puts it in a grittier scenario, and practically expands and perfects it in almost every way. The way Bioware has executed and presented the game is truly remarkable. Every scene has been polished and styled immaculately, and coupled with theIn short, Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of the generation. It takes the universe introduced in the original, gives it a darker plot and puts it in a grittier scenario, and practically expands and perfects it in almost every way. The way Bioware has executed and presented the game is truly remarkable. Every scene has been polished and styled immaculately, and coupled with the stunning graphics, make for a visual masterpiece. The plot and narrative are excellent as well, driving the game forward and keeping players at the edge of their seats and gaping at the mesmerising worlds filled with one of the best cast of characters in videogame history. Combat is largely entertaining, though rather lacking in variety. But, overall, Mass Effect 2 is thoroughly impressive and makes for one hell of a ride. Expand
  92. Nov 1, 2011
    This game is so close to being the game that all others are to be judged by. Due to issues that really are not issues but more like personal biases I'm deducting a point. It goes from an 11/10 to a solid 10/10

Better luck next time Bioware.
  93. Feb 4, 2013
    A gem. The fantastic story progresses at a breakneck pace and is filled with excellent characters, exciting set-pieces and incredible and visceral combat. It's my personal favorite out of the trilogy, a remarkable achievement in science fiction storytelling and player driven world building.
  94. Nov 10, 2011
    This game improved on the original in every possible, with the possible exception of a lack of equipment selection. The characters are all deeper and better written (except for the dlc guy), the story was solid. The game also had excellent graphics, and removed the clunky MAKO sections that I personally thought brought down the first game. The only other criticism is the mining system isThis game improved on the original in every possible, with the possible exception of a lack of equipment selection. The characters are all deeper and better written (except for the dlc guy), the story was solid. The game also had excellent graphics, and removed the clunky MAKO sections that I personally thought brought down the first game. The only other criticism is the mining system is tedious. I also liked what they did with the smoother shooter elements. Expand
  95. Aug 18, 2012
    Way better than ME1 and kicks ME3 Single campaign ass... the way you interact with your teammates, the plot, everything. then ME3 comes along and **** up the trilogy (plot wise)
  96. Dec 15, 2011
    My favourite game this gen. Bioware once again hit the nail with the story and characters. Gameplay is solid, voice acting is amazing, aside from sheppard but Im ok with it. Superb aaa++++
  97. Nov 11, 2011
    Was an amazing experience, like living a movie..Getting to know the people i fight and command, winning their respect and mourning them when they died..I lost 2 people when i played it first and actually felt sad..I would have kept that game to be my base for ME3 if a console crash hadn't wiped my saves. Because your actions matter and you actually create relationships and can learn soWas an amazing experience, like living a movie..Getting to know the people i fight and command, winning their respect and mourning them when they died..I lost 2 people when i played it first and actually felt sad..I would have kept that game to be my base for ME3 if a console crash hadn't wiped my saves. Because your actions matter and you actually create relationships and can learn so much about this world..Cannot wait for ME3 i hope they can make it as great.. Expand
  98. Nov 19, 2011
    mass effect 2 is not only one of te best games bever made it is one of the best stories ever told. story amazing makes the wait for mass effect 3 worse.gameplay is perfect grapics may no look as good as other games but awesome. lasting apeal is a lot in this game you can replay the game multiple times and have totally differnt epierience. the sound of this game is beatiful the score ismass effect 2 is not only one of te best games bever made it is one of the best stories ever told. story amazing makes the wait for mass effect 3 worse.gameplay is perfect grapics may no look as good as other games but awesome. lasting apeal is a lot in this game you can replay the game multiple times and have totally differnt epierience. the sound of this game is beatiful the score is epic the voice acting is tv movie standards. fun factor youll have a blast. verdict this game is not 10/10 an unratable this game is too good too be rated. Expand
  99. Nov 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 Paves the way for new RPG's. The idea that your choices from the previous game have an effect on both major and minor plots is really what all RPG's should be doing. The story is the number one thing that should come from an RPG, followed by characters, including your own, and skills. Mass effect 2 does all perfectly. The atmosphere has changed completely from ME 1, into aMass Effect 2 Paves the way for new RPG's. The idea that your choices from the previous game have an effect on both major and minor plots is really what all RPG's should be doing. The story is the number one thing that should come from an RPG, followed by characters, including your own, and skills. Mass effect 2 does all perfectly. The atmosphere has changed completely from ME 1, into a doomsday feel. The story is constantly adding more and more exciting features and plot twists that Bioware have already by renounced for. Each quest goes from large, tactical combat, to puzzles, to just straight up conversations that have tricky decisions to make. the setting is so easily done, in a genre with narrow-minded fools that will instantly reject a game if it is not set in a fantasy medieval setting it managed to win the majority of them over. Each character has their own personality, and Sheppardâ Expand
  100. Dec 12, 2011
    I loved it, maybe I am just a sucker for RPGs, but there has not been a single thing to complain about for me in either of the Mass Effects. Mass Effect one was a great base for the series and yea there were some issues with the menus and such, but it was the first game and those little issues hardly took away from it! Mass Effect 2 in turn did a phenomenal job in turn dumbing down theI loved it, maybe I am just a sucker for RPGs, but there has not been a single thing to complain about for me in either of the Mass Effects. Mass Effect one was a great base for the series and yea there were some issues with the menus and such, but it was the first game and those little issues hardly took away from it! Mass Effect 2 in turn did a phenomenal job in turn dumbing down the menus and specializing the game more, sure there were less options, but ME2 still had a great story, awesome characters, and the import function worked perfectly. You could change a couple decisions in ME1 and wind up with an entirely different experience in ME2! Now that is a dynamic story and that is how RPGs should be made, granted maybe bringing back some of the old RPG elements from ME1. Expand
  101. Mar 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a stunning piece of entertainment. I loved the original, and at first I didn't like some of the changes made to game-play, with less of a focus on precise levelling up and equipping suit and weapon upgrades. It wasn't until the final mission on my first play through that I realised this was something special. The graphics are spectacularly polished and, despite some minorMass Effect 2 is a stunning piece of entertainment. I loved the original, and at first I didn't like some of the changes made to game-play, with less of a focus on precise levelling up and equipping suit and weapon upgrades. It wasn't until the final mission on my first play through that I realised this was something special. The graphics are spectacularly polished and, despite some minor hiccups in the game-play, it is an engaging story with fascinating characters, all of whom have superb voice acting behind them. The soundtrack is spectacular and the set piece cut scenes are phenomenal, making it one of the best games ever made. If you love sci-fi movies, like I do, then there's a good chance you'll love Mass Effect 2. Collapse

1. Mass Effect 2 overcomes its few gameplay weaknesses with a fantastic weave of dynamic combat, lavish presentation, and engaging character and weapon customization. But for all the myriad improvements that make Mass Effect 2's visuals so appealing and its combat so exhilarating, it's ultimately the way it moves us that makes it so memorable. [Feb 2010, p.56]
    Despite all of the ways Mass Effect 2 is more engaging to play and explore, after 35 remarkable hours it was the characters that stayed with us… Game of the year in January? Oh, go on then. [Feb 2010, p.112]
  3. Both an astonishing RPG and confident shooter, Mass Effect 2 is daring, shocking and often awe-inspiring in its use of choice. This is the future of storytelling in videogames. [Issue#, p.85]