Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360

8.9

1. Nov 30, 2011
    Really a great game. One of the best I've played on the 360. I was a huge fan of Bioware because of KOTOR, but have been disappointed in every offering since then until this one. KOTOR and Fallout 3 are still my favorite RPG's, but this one comes in close. The characters are great, and the story and combat are vastly improved over the first Mass Effect. It's a game that you can easilyReally a great game. One of the best I've played on the 360. I was a huge fan of Bioware because of KOTOR, but have been disappointed in every offering since then until this one. KOTOR and Fallout 3 are still my favorite RPG's, but this one comes in close. The characters are great, and the story and combat are vastly improved over the first Mass Effect. It's a game that you can easily get lost in for a week or so. For about two weeks, I pretty much just got home from work, fired up the Xbox, and played it till it was waaay too late to be going to sleep. There was one big story point I didn't care for much, and I also felt a little betrayed because downloading a free extra character actually messed up my game bad(the character's name is Zaeed. It is intentional by the game-makers, just the way the story works, but I felt a little bit screwed over, and you may not want to bother downloading his content, or at least wait until late in the game and keep a save handy from before you bring him in.) But, all in all, there are so many more interesting characters this time around, and so many more memorable moments, that this game is a huge improvement, in my opinion, over the first Mass Effect. If you like Sci-fi and RPG's, I think you'll have a blast with this game, and at $20 now, it is a steal. Expand
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Better than the first but not as good as the third. I like how it makes full use of it's M rating, it's much darker in tone than the first. The opening scene is epic and sad at the same time. But from the first firefight, I noticed that the enemies are much stronger than you are, and its annoying how on the easiest difficulty, enemies can still kill you in a matter of seconds, a broblem I never had with the other 2 games, even the earliest enemies kill you easily. There are still alot of glitches, not as many as the first had, but still enough to be a big annoyance. The story is excellent, again. I really disliked the loyalty system though, if a squad member isn't loyal, they will die in the final mission, and you will one squad member's loyalty eventually and it's hard to get it back. Other than that, this one is much funner than its predeccesor but not as good as its sequal. Expand
  3. Dec 15, 2011
    OK EVERYONE CALM DOWN! LET ME PUT THIS IN PERSPECTIVE FOR YOU ALL!
    OK EVERYONE CALM DOWN! LET ME PUT THIS IN PERSPECTIVE FOR YOU ALL!
    This game isnt perfect; no 10. It also is SOO far from a 0 is insulting and proves how hard it is to please some trolls out there. Back in the 70s when Star Wars V came out, everyone hated it. Years later, its considered the best Star Wars movie. Lets wait to see how ME3 is and how they all come together to form a complete experience.
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    To sum up this game in one word I would have to say Amazing This game is a breath of fresh air after me having played so many crappy games lately I completed this game ages ago and only just recently played through all 3 of the mass effect games again but this is by far my favorite one The universe created by bio ware is so rich and so engaging I believe its on par with Star Wars andTo sum up this game in one word I would have to say Amazing This game is a breath of fresh air after me having played so many crappy games lately I completed this game ages ago and only just recently played through all 3 of the mass effect games again but this is by far my favorite one The universe created by bio ware is so rich and so engaging I believe its on par with Star Wars and Star Trek and in my opinion I find it to be better then both of them The story has you reeled in from the start and I couldn't put this game down once I had started it The RPG elements in it are great and really allow for you to play how you want Be a good or bad guy if you want and the different classes with different powers like Adept and Soldier provide you with being able to play multiple times without ever having it be identical The graphics are also very nice and while aren't the best ever they are very good and do the game justice in that department It's also worth mentioning while the game doesn't have multiplayer the campaign I believe more then makes up for it The soundtrack is superb in this game and hearing every song where you do feels right while it not being as good as the mass effect 1 soundtrack that didn't stop me. The game play is also great in this and has been hugely upgraded from the first the AI is smart and uses cover without just rushing past your squad mates and going directly for you I really thing this game is in the top 5 Xbox 360 games ever. If you are a sci-fi fan this game and the series is a must have My only complaint about Mass Effect 2 isn't even on the game It's just that there is a ton of DLC that seems to cost alot if all bought together But hey that isn't much of a complaint compared to the amount of fun you will have playing this series. Expand
  5. Dec 24, 2011
    Greatest game I've ever played. Wasn't sure whether I would enjoy the series or not but it's absolutely fantastic. Pre-ordered the collectors edition of ME3 and can't wait for it.
  6. Jan 6, 2012
    This may be the best game I've ever played. The voice acting, combat, world design, story, graphics, and characters are all excellent. The highlight of the game is being able to import your character from Mass Effect 1 and see how the decisions you made in the first game impacted the Mass Effect universe. It's honestly one of the most refined, immersive and personal games out there.
  7. Jan 9, 2012
    I think, ME2 main game of 2010. Fantastic story, unique characters, beautiful graphics and high quality sound. More best, then first game. Definitely the best game of 2010 on the Xbox 360. 10 of 10.
  8. Jan 14, 2012
    I normally don't like RPG games, but I love this one. It really stands out of the crowd. It has a great story line, and game-play. The weapon system is great, and it is a personal game, as in, you can really make it into your own by your decisions. This game is a must play by everyone, including those that normally do not like RPG games.
  9. Jan 29, 2012
    10/10. My biggest problem with this game was the text size, I couldn't read it some times. Besides that this is an amazing game with a great story, great characters, intense action, and a good third person shooter with an RPG like story. A lot of people say that this game sucks because its not as RPG. Well this game was meant to be a hybrid between the two. You want a game where your10/10. My biggest problem with this game was the text size, I couldn't read it some times. Besides that this is an amazing game with a great story, great characters, intense action, and a good third person shooter with an RPG like story. A lot of people say that this game sucks because its not as RPG. Well this game was meant to be a hybrid between the two. You want a game where your bullets cause you to gain weight and you need to eat to live? Go play Fallout New Vegas, (which is a great game, not hating on it ) but for those of you who just want to engage in an epic sci fi adventure with characters who make you feel, well then pick up this game. Expand
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    Mass effect was hands down the best game with the best story i have ever played. From start to finish it was an amazingly gripping and incredibly impressive game. taking control of Commander Shepard you jump into Mass effect 2 with thousands of different outcomes, no two games are the same, you can either transfer your story from ME1 or just start here witch is what i did. Their was noMass effect was hands down the best game with the best story i have ever played. From start to finish it was an amazingly gripping and incredibly impressive game. taking control of Commander Shepard you jump into Mass effect 2 with thousands of different outcomes, no two games are the same, you can either transfer your story from ME1 or just start here witch is what i did. Their was no point in the game where i was bored confused or disapointed in the gameplay. you get extremely attached to the characters and intensely involved in the story, and you there will not be one point where you are not enjoying yourself. you can do side missions for each character that will make them lo to you loyal to you. you can probe planets and mine the resources to make upgrades to your ship, and sometimes discover anomalys that you can launch a side mission into, you can shop on the numerous kiosks on all the planets,and not to mention the amazing story. I suggest you do everything possible and deffinatley play the game. You don't have to play the first game to play the second but i suggest that you play the second before the third. I give Mass effect 2 a full 10/10. Expand
  11. Mar 3, 2012
    I just had to dock this game an extra point for disappoint me from what I had expected from ME1. Bioware did improve on many aspects on ME1. They listened to criticism and took out the boring Mako missions... only to replace them with boring satellite shooting missions ( which were a bit more exciting ). The characters back stories were actually more in depth in ME2 and the combat was muchI just had to dock this game an extra point for disappoint me from what I had expected from ME1. Bioware did improve on many aspects on ME1. They listened to criticism and took out the boring Mako missions... only to replace them with boring satellite shooting missions ( which were a bit more exciting ). The characters back stories were actually more in depth in ME2 and the combat was much better. However, ME2 relied too much on combat. now I said Bioware improved on the TPS but it's still a pretty sucky TPS. ME@ got away from what made ME1 great, and that was story. The story was pretty much gather a group of people to do a mission. You don't go forward at all, except for the last mission. It seems as though you don't do anything in the game. The character back story is barely more in depth in ME2 and the only reason for that is because you spend the whole game trying to find your teammates, so its common sense to learn a lot about them. The story and information about the characters just seemed forced. It was a good game on its own but I had to dock it some points for not living up to the hype. Also the dialogue wheel is frustrating albeit funny when you chose something thinking is a joke or not as bad and you Shepard does something like curse off an old lady ( not gonna spoil anything) and you just sit there like wat......... Definitely a game worth buying a may have been a harsh review on my part. Expand
  12. Apr 9, 2012
    An elegant, complex and exciting history. Beside being entertained, very interesting and being set in a fascinating world. ME2 is better than ME, and it is great to say.
  13. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 was a game I had been extremely psyched for. From the moment it was announced to the day of its launch nothing could curb my excitement. Much to my pleasure, the game lived up to it. Did it do it perfectly, absolutely not, but it was a fun experience that provided me with hours of enjoyment. However, I must make it clear, I did not enjoy this game as an RPG, I enjoyed it as aMass Effect 2 was a game I had been extremely psyched for. From the moment it was announced to the day of its launch nothing could curb my excitement. Much to my pleasure, the game lived up to it. Did it do it perfectly, absolutely not, but it was a fun experience that provided me with hours of enjoyment. However, I must make it clear, I did not enjoy this game as an RPG, I enjoyed it as a shooter with a variety of abilities and a deeper than usual story. The lack of any deep RPG aspects was a disappointment seeing as the game came out from one of the top RPG developers in the world. As a shooter though, this game is one of the few that I truly enjoy. With a smooth cover system that never infuriated me, enemy AI that was not entirely stupid (I'm looking at you Lost Planet) and a collection of powers that spiced up combat, I was hooked. To be honest, I still am in many ways. With the massive amount of content in the game, there is much to do and a lot for me to enjoy doing as I replay the game. The story, while there are many detractors, I found to be completely satisfying, making me question whether Cerberus was truly evil and whether or not I wished to fulfill their tasks. Add in the awesome crew members and the amazing loyalty missions (Tali's, Jacob's and Thane's stand out above the rest) and I was deeply engrossed. Topping it off with an explosive finale and upon finishing the credit sequence I was ready to jump right back in. However, the game is not entirely perfect. There were some wacky dialogues with unimportant NPCs and many of the sidequests devolved into irritating fetch quests. Aside from that, the game managed to fulfill my expectations and provide a super fun sci-fi adventure. Expand
  14. Mar 19, 2012
    The 'Empire Strikes Back' of the Mass Effect series. I could write entire paragraphs about this game, but I will save you the time. If you haven't already bought and/or played this game, you are missing out on one of the greatest sci-fi sagas ever created.
  15. Mar 18, 2012
    Even the simplification of many elements from the previous game cannot beat the fact that we became witnesses of the most compelling and deep plots in the industry. The darker, extremely detailed and more violent world, highly individualistic characters, mature drama and nearly breathtaking action made it a unique game. It's almost a crime if you didn't play it (of course you did).
  16. Mar 21, 2012
    I was a bit disappointed with some of the elements removed from the series with ME2, but as a solidly written game where your choices had noticeable effect on the game world the problems I had were absorbed by the experience and balanced out so they didn't really detract from the overall experience.
  17. Mar 21, 2012
    A must buy game. This game hits everything right. Another fantastic dialogue and improved combat scenarios. You also get more squad mates and establish relationships with them. Graphics are fantastic and very well done storyline. Only minor flaws the prob mini game is really boring after 3 planets.
  18. Nov 29, 2012
    After being attacked by a mysterious alien ship whilst searching for Geth, the Normandy is destroyed, crew dispanded and Shepard dead. One year later and an mysterious pro-human activist group named Cerberus have resurrected Shepard in the hope that he can save the galaxy once more. An alien race known as the Collectors are attacking human colonies and stealing the inhabitants away forAfter being attacked by a mysterious alien ship whilst searching for Geth, the Normandy is destroyed, crew dispanded and Shepard dead. One year later and an mysterious pro-human activist group named Cerberus have resurrected Shepard in the hope that he can save the galaxy once more. An alien race known as the Collectors are attacking human colonies and stealing the inhabitants away for twisted experiments. You will need an elite team of highly trained operatives, a loyal crew and a will to die for the good of humanity, they do not expect you to survive...prove them wrong.
    With highly refined shooting Mass Effect is back and better than ever, a 40+ hour story and a stellar cast of crew members makes this the best Mass Effect yet.
  19. Apr 3, 2012
    Newer but not entirely better. There's been a shift that's noticeable. Similar to Dragon Age 2, Bioware is trying to reach a broader audience. This is done by beefing the shooter aspect and narrowing the RPG aspect. Fewer powers, few choices for load-outs and armor, and worst of all, much less exploration. Where once I walked the surface of a planet and explored a sandbox area, now I amNewer but not entirely better. There's been a shift that's noticeable. Similar to Dragon Age 2, Bioware is trying to reach a broader audience. This is done by beefing the shooter aspect and narrowing the RPG aspect. Fewer powers, few choices for load-outs and armor, and worst of all, much less exploration. Where once I walked the surface of a planet and explored a sandbox area, now I am confined to scanning planet surfaces and flying down with a specific goal. Luckily these goals vary and are not boring. But the tedious mining task is not a substitution for actual exploring. Still, it's amazing to see the result of choices made in the original game and the story is the bed salute to dirty dozen type movies. This game is nearly perfect. Expand
  20. May 7, 2012
    From start to finish it was an amazing experience for me. Never got bored of it at all. This game is in my top 5 list of game's of all time now. I'm just so amazed with it. Mass Effect 2 10/10 [A must buy]
  21. Aug 5, 2012
    This is the best game in the trilogy, and probably one of the most entertaining games ever made. The player has the feeling that he's playing inside a movie and writing his own story. Pure awesomeness!
  22. Apr 25, 2012
    Another awesome Mass Effect game, with better game mechanics than the first one, and tons more side quests and stories. Only negatives were that the character leveling system was too watered down and simplified, and a lot of cut-scenes look awful with their lack of anti-aliasing.
  23. May 21, 2012
    ME2 is a brilliant game. The graphic, the atmosphere and the characters catch you deep in a story about all or nothing. Sometimes the storytelling is a bit slow, but this is just my opinion. I love this game and play it many times - One of the games I would tell 'Game of the Year'.
  24. Jun 4, 2012
    This is literally my favorite game of all time. The gameplay, the story and the characters are all fantastic. The ending is epic and the brilliance of Bioware is displayed perfectly in this game.
  25. Jun 15, 2012
    In my opinion, this is the best game ever made. I notice most people are complaining about the loading screens, I didn't really think that this was an important part of the game. Everything was so much more fluid than the first instalment, things just worked a bit better. I fell in love with the first game and the second game just renewed my love of the in depth characters.
  26. Jul 11, 2012
    An improvement on the first installment, Mass Effect 2 leaves nothing to the imagination. It has the best ending I've ever played on a game. You will get very emotionally attached to this one.
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    . Shooting mechanics
    . Level design

Bad points:
    . Scanning planets

Overall I think this Mass Effect 2 is one of the best, if not the best, game I have ever played.
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    The perfect blend of action and RPG elements, Mass Effect 2 takes an already amazing prequel to new heights. With vivid and intriguing worlds, and a deep, immersive story to delve into where one could play and replay several times.
  29. Aug 4, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 may be the best game in Mass Effect series, however the fans of the previous game could be disappointed at first and that's okay. The game has less RPG elements than before. Weapons have no descriptions so you have to field test them and there aren't many weapons, but each is unique and no weapon is better or worse than the other. The game ads new semi and heavy weapons.Mass Effect 2 may be the best game in Mass Effect series, however the fans of the previous game could be disappointed at first and that's okay. The game has less RPG elements than before. Weapons have no descriptions so you have to field test them and there aren't many weapons, but each is unique and no weapon is better or worse than the other. The game ads new semi and heavy weapons. Weapons can still be upgraded and you get the chance to upgrade your ship and your face (renegade Shepard will stand out). Combat has been improved, but not perfected. If you don't strategies your powers, than you will be getting hard time, but if you use powers where they are needed, you will beat the game on insanity. Fans will be disappointed by the almost no progression of the main storyline. However the story focuses more on the galaxy your in and your squad. There are very interesting characters and you will enjoy the main storyline in this game. The decisions you made in ME1 will be noticeable, but don't make a huge change. Even if you haven't played ME1 you will dive in the plot with no problem thanks to the detailed codex and the careful focus on the details in this game. The side missions have been perfected and you will enjoy a lot of them, but this comes with the price of scanning planets that is extremely boring unless you go and visit Venus. The DLC's Overlord, Lair of The Shadow Broker and Kasumi's Lost Memory are also worth buying. The game uses the same good old dialogue wheel and the customization options. The soundtracks of the game are worthy, but there are two that are annoying and also one epic. The final mission may be the greatest mission and ending in video gaming history. All your work in the game is displayed very well and makes a difference. Do very bad choices and you may not make it. There is one minor problem with Garrus if you play the game you will notice it and find it annoying and funny. Even the RPG elements are less the game still is worth playing and can stand toe to teo with ME1. Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2012
    I absolutely LOVED this game, the combat wasn't perfect, but in the mass effect series people don't tend to focus on the combat, I loved the story, I loved how I could control the outcomes of multiple scenarios, and it left me very very much looking forward to Mass Effect 3, knowing that my adventures could continue in what should have been an amazing end to the trilogy, I was very upsetI absolutely LOVED this game, the combat wasn't perfect, but in the mass effect series people don't tend to focus on the combat, I loved the story, I loved how I could control the outcomes of multiple scenarios, and it left me very very much looking forward to Mass Effect 3, knowing that my adventures could continue in what should have been an amazing end to the trilogy, I was very upset by how much of a let down it was. Expand

1. Official Xbox Magazine
    Mass Effect 2 overcomes its few gameplay weaknesses with a fantastic weave of dynamic combat, lavish presentation, and engaging character and weapon customization. But for all the myriad improvements that make Mass Effect 2's visuals so appealing and its combat so exhilarating, it's ultimately the way it moves us that makes it so memorable. [Feb 2010, p.56]
  2. games(TM)
    Despite all of the ways Mass Effect 2 is more engaging to play and explore, after 35 remarkable hours it was the characters that stayed with us… Game of the year in January? Oh, go on then. [Feb 2010, p.112]
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Both an astonishing RPG and confident shooter, Mass Effect 2 is daring, shocking and often awe-inspiring in its use of choice. This is the future of storytelling in videogames. [Issue#, p.85]