8.9

1. Aug 21, 2010
    Well, every game has it's detractors,but seriously? "Oh noes, they dun stole my RPG elements! It is awl dumb-down and stoopid now!" blissfully forgetting through their misty-eyed watercolour memories that Mass Effect could be muscled through with sheer gaming skill and an unleveled Shepard. Being able to be beaten by skill alone, an RPG does not make. The inventory was awful, it turned the whole game into a puzzle of managing your inventory. I'm glad to see it gone. To finish up, the romance options are much improved, instead of humans only or a 106-year old archeologist. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. RPG? --- I don't get it... I just don't. How could this game have received a 9.0 user score? It must be because the current generation of gamers is made-up of FPS f-boys who care more about ownz and lolz, than a deep RPG experience. Mass Effect 2 isn't an RPG.. it doesn't even have elements of an RPG. The only thing that had RPG elements in ME2 was the marketing letterhead. ME2 was a third person shooter in space. Period. None of your choices matter or make any difference to the story line, except who is or is not around after the credits roll. Big woop.

Completely linear gameplay -- huge disapointment throughout the entire experience. Side-missions are nothing more than 10 minute long fire fights, without any purpose. No loot, no weapons or armor to find, no unique artifacts.... just more fps lolz and ownz.

Mining -- makes me so sick I don't even want to write about it. Bioware took away immersive planet exploration in an awesome all terrain vehicle.... for a glorified game of darts. Congrats developers. You epic failed. All you had to do was add some more alien villages, or interesting ruins to explore. Instead, you Bioware typed select-all, Shift-delete. "We're golden yo!" I've met smarter rocks.

PS - to the people who complained about ME1's planet exploring vehicle controls -- you're just too dumb. Sorry. The controls worked perfectly, and exploring the mountains of a distant world was great fun. Try learning how to control a vehicle other than a Halo Bullfrog buggy... or whatever it's called.

Inventory - Shift-Delete.
    Armor, Weapons - Shift-Delete.
    ...a new bioware trend.

Finally... the final Boss.... WTF kind of special education, highschool drop-out, pregnant at 16, eats paint chips, glue sniffing, embarrassment to humanity, brainchild decided that a giant skeletor in the middle of space was a "awesomz lolz yo, yo" final boss?

Skeletor...really? In space??? How was this thing supposed to do anything, go anywhere, or simply be a threat to anyhing in the ME2 universe? Was he going to fling asteroids across known space?
    Oh, and the best part was that he was made from a mix of biological DNA.... so he was the giant mutated baby of Rosanne Bar and Shaq?? Bioware is so dumb.

You get a 4 because the graphics were pretty. That's about it.
  3. Feb 23, 2011
    This game gets it right. Both Mass Effect 1 and 2 are remarkable, yet they are extremely different. I liked the simplicity the weapon system and how damage was more focused on upgrading your character rather than your weapon. Biotics are also much more fun this time around. I found it to be a good mix of rpg and shooter, just like the first one, just more tilted in the shooter direction this time around. Still takes about 30 hours to complete. Expand
  4. Feb 16, 2011
    The game was fantastic, and a great blend of action and RPG elements. Even without importin a save game from the first game, I was sucked into this one and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Starting a second playthrough, this time with an imported game to see some of the things I missed.
  5. Mar 7, 2011
    You can stick a "W" in front of it but that doesn't make it an RPG. Mass Effect 2 is basically a glorified shooter that rips off elements from Japanese Visual Novels and Dating Sims, which these developers then mock. Mass Effect 2 also consists of some of the worst voice acting in any game ever and his really hard to take seriously due to bad voice actor choices. If this was a JRPG reviewers would be up in arms that, for example, when you leave your ship on a mission you can only take a few people with you, or point out how the plot basically just combines several different sci fi movie plots and is one big cliche. Apparently since it's a western game it's beyond these criticisms. This game is nothing special. Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    Hands on the best game I have ever played on any system anywhere. Fantastic story, real emotional involvement unlike any other gaming experience. Loved every second of it. Going back for a second run through, which I have never been compelled to do with ANY game before.
  7. Jun 1, 2011
    Focusing more on the build up to the finale than it's own story, Mass Effect 2 does some great things with it's cast of characters and their development. Import your Shephard from the first game to enhance your experience and pick your class to play the game a number of different ways. The combat mechanics have been greatly improved on from the first game and it overall seems more polished with less glitches and more fluid controls. With so many different ways to play, you experience something a little different every time, and that in itself speaks volumes. Mass Effect is definitely a game to experience. Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2011
    Bioware has been on a roll with their RPGs. Mass Effect 2 has the story and gameplay to make most gamers nod their heads and say "This is what I play games for". The fact of the matter is, if you don't play this game you are missing out. It's intelligent and action packed. Need I say more?
  9. Aug 17, 2010
    Probably the best game I have ever played. Everything about it was superb.
  10. Sep 25, 2011
    I really wanted to give this game a perfect score but this game is not without its problems. First of all lets talk about the positives firstly this game offers you tons of choices throughout the game what your character looks like what you can say, which class you wanna play as and your choices and interactions with your squad will also have a long term effect in the final mission of the game. ME2 also really improves upon the combat from the first game as the combat is no longer hurt by by A.I, aiming and hit detection issues the combat seems much more cliche and well polished compared to the first I also like the weapon and armor upgrade system better than the first game. ME 1 had alot of useless weapons and armor in it where the only difference between them was how many shots they can do before overheating and the amount damage they inflict and absorb having that and the weapon and armor upgrades is basically the same thing. 1's ammo and armor upgrades were just not that useful as you could only install one at a time on a weapon or armor and it did not improve your weapon or armor one bit that being said I am still disappointed because of the lack of variety in armor customization they allow you do to in this game and the fact that you cannot customize the armor of your squad mates is also a let down. The inventory has been completely removed which to me is not that big of an issue because there are not that many weapons in this game and the first one had way to many and when you reached the inventory's 150 item limit in the first game the game shoved it your face to convert stuff to omni-gel by the end of ME 1 I had like 950 omni gel seriously that is beyond ridiculous so I am glad they got rid of that but they could have fixed the inventory system but this game doesn't have that much equipment so in my opinion it did not need it. Also characters in ME2 have a more detailed background and character development unlike ME 1. ME 2 also improves upon the graphics the first game there are far less framerate issues, the character models look more detailed and the animations look much better . And just like the first game ME2 has a stellar soundtrack and amazing and top notch voice acting. However as great of a game ME2 is it is not without its problems firstly they toned down the rpg elements from the first game and made the game more of a shooter than an rpg to appeal to more of the audience however toning down does not mean completely removing some negative reviewers here are simply overreacting they did remove some abilities completely but some of them were just removed from the skill tree and put on the research terminal so basically the things people are complaining about not being in the game are actually in the game just not in the skill tree but in the research terminal people should pay attention to things like that and even though they removed some rpg features completely some of them were just totally useless in ME1. The exp system has also been simplified you gain a level after completing a mission or two which one of my bigger issues with this game ME1's EXP system was much better where you get points for doing just about anything that was not perfect but still better than the EXP system in this game. ME 2 has a better A.I than ME 1 however the the partner A.I still has the tendency to get in your way while shooting and partners and enemies freezing at higher difficulties (Hardcore and Insanity) however in the case of enemies freezing at highher difficulties that is not a bad thing at all it allows you to get a few cheap shots at them. The game's story is still really good if you connect its events to ME1 and go into the background of your enemies and the squad members and the story is also presented as more darker and personal that being said comparing this to ME 1's story ME2's story pales in comparison however its story still serves its purpose and carry forwards the story to the third game. The loading times on the 360 can be a little annoying at times I prefer the elevator rides from Mass Effect over these long and boring loading screens And last problem I have with this game is the probing can get boring and tedious at times and can ruin the enjoyment people can get from this game but I still prefer this over the Mako and its abysmal controls and lack of physics in ME 1. However to enjoy this game 100% you must play ME1 first as even the smallest of choices of ME1 have an effect on the interactions and side quests you do in this game. ME2 is an amazing game which improves upon its prequel in alot of ways while becoming more casual friendly but still retaining most of its original fans if it wasn't for a few flaws in ME2 hurting its overall experience this game would have easily been a 10/10 perfect game. Lets hope Mass Effect 3 gets the honor. 9.5/10. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2011
    I wish Bioware hadn't taken so much away, I wish ME 2 was less about shooting robots in the face, but then again its just a game and considering Bioware have really tried to evolve and push forward the franchise I applaud a brilliant game. Standards in storytelling have been improved, dialogue is more streamlined and combat has been tuned to something like Ghost Recon's standards. Even if the game has been dumbed down to an action game with RPG elements, its still a cracking game. Expand
  12. Aug 17, 2011
    Ignore any bad reviews, they are worthless and don't make any sense. If you don't like this game it is cause you suck or maybe your mother doesn't love you and your just mad at the world. This game is flawless and always exciting. One of the best games ever! This is by far the best Xbox 360 game yet and has endless amount of possibilities for the third one. Gameplay and gun fights were great and nice graphics helped a lot too. The story is deep, and nothing new seeing how bio-ware has great story telling techniques. All and all a great game probably the best I have played and it keeps getting better the longer you go along! Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2010
    Turned an honest but flawed attempt at a RPG/shooter hybrid into nothing but a dumbed down shooter with RPG residue.

Story sucks, characters are disconnected from anything but their own issues, and are expendable. The gameplay is repetative cover/shoot CONSTANTLY.

A massive disappointment all around, taking a great first attempt and turning into mediocre mass appeal trash.
  14. Jan 31, 2012
    I think I am the only one that prefered mass effect 1 better. 8 hours in the game and I don't even want to continue anymore. They took away the inventory system and made it mainstream. I hate the new crosshair and ammo system, and i hate that the whole game is basically just finding new squad mates for one final mission. The new normandy looks nice, but I really don't like this game.
  15. May 11, 2011
    I would hardly call Mass Effect 2 a dumbed down version of the first. I would call it more refined and streamlined. Everything that bugged me about the first Mass Effect (very little, by the way) was either improved or completely removed. This is the finest action RPG I've ever played and Bioware's most impressive title to date. Mass Effect 2 is a well paced, jaw-dropping emotional piece of science fiction. Expand
  16. Oct 2, 2010
    Ignore the fanboys. Ignore the haters. If for some reason you don't own this amazing game, please download the demo and see for yourself how perfect it is.
  17. Oct 7, 2010
    Mass Effect had issues. (Can anyone say Mako?) Mass Effect 2 puts all of Mass Effect"s faults into a hat, sprinkles magical pixie dust, and out jumps a sexy, seemingly genetically engineered marvel of epicness. The characters are epic, the graphics and consistent framerate doubly so. The story is more action oriented with a polished combat system similar to GoW's. People complain that there is no variation in the classes. They obviously didn't use an engineer after their soldier. This game gets a 10/10 for graphics, story, gameplay, and badassery*. *G4 probably has a copyright on badassery. Expand
  18. Nov 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 is exactly what I was hopping to find in the sequel. The story doesn't turn deeper than the previous one, but the thing here is to make you advance towards the evil, and to do that you need a "special crew". But picking up the original Mass Effect savegame to create a new one on Mass Effect 2 based in the choices we made in the first game was a huge step for the gaming world, and these choice are all in the ME2 for you to take advantage of it, you'll surely be tested with the choices you made, and I don't even have to mention the great changes like better graphics, less repetitive places to search, gameplay improvoment... As a sci-fi-fan like me, Mass Effect 2 only missed on thing to be a perfect game! A co-op online/offline mode would make just great and would be no doubt that Mass Effect 2 would win with no efforts the AIAS game of the year prize, even with all these good games that 2010 brought to us. Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2010
    Human colonies have started disappearing around the edges of space. Suspicious that the Reapers - the ancient machines - are behind the attacks, Shepard joins up with Cerberus and its mysterious leader, The Illusive Man (voiced by Martin Sheen), to investigate.....

The sequel's events kick off a few months after the original title's conclusion, taking into account all the choices you
    made and people you killed and spared in the original game (if you've kept hold of your Mass Effect 1 save at least), with The Normandy under attack by an unknown attacker. Without spoiling anything, Mass Effect 2 has one of the most memorable openings to a game ever.

Mass Effect 2 makes its amazing original look really simple. Whether you're eavesdropping on a pair of Krogans in The (New) Citadel, mining planets for resources from space, or outfitting your private quarters with a fish tank and a space hamster, almost every area in the game is improved upon and impressively presented. It really does feel as if BioWare compiled a big checklist of the first game's bad points, and scratched them off one by one. Rubbish vehicle sections, overwhelming inventory management and, yes, elevator load times have all been thrown in the bin. The result is a more balanced and approachable game - arguably BioWare's best to date.

The game is fully deservant of it's reputation as "The Avatar of video games except it's better written better!" and has earned countless perfect scores in the process! This is not only Bioware's greatest game, it's not even only the game of the year but it might be the greatest game of the decade!
  20. Nov 21, 2010
    There comes a rare time every once in a while where a video game hits the market, and it transcends the industry. Be it a huge impact, an unforgettable memory, or an intense experience like nothing before. For one reason or another, there is always something noticeably more special than everything else. This does not happen very often, but on the day Mass Effect 2 released, it did.

Mass
    Effect 2 expands on the original formula of creating your character, gathering a squad, and having the universe at your hands. Literally everything that unfolds after is your choice, it is on your shoulders, and there are consequences. Normally games like KOTOR or Jade Empire (which utilize this choice of response system) are very clearly defined between good and bad. There is no shade of grey, there is just right and wrong. The beauty in Mass Effect is that there really is no right or wrong choice, it is simply the player's choice. This feature, making it feel as though it was an interactive movie playing out rather than a game, makes for one of the most unique and deep role playing experiences gaming has to offer.

The original Mass Effect was considered an awesome game, though it had it's share of problems holding it back. Texture pop-ups, loading times, bland side quests, and rather mediocre gameplay all kept it from being what it truly could have achieved. It was not a bad game by any means, but it was clear that more work was needed. What BioWare has done since the period of Mass Effect 1's release and Mass Effect 2, is fix, or rather, completely get rid of all previous problems.

The texture pop-ups? There are none. In my 40 plus hours of playing, there has not been a single issue with the graphics appearing properly. Loading times? Long elevators? How about five second load screens and no elevators at all? The side quests have been elevated to the scale where they are cinematic and made just as important as the story in presentation. There is no Mako to explore worlds, making these simplifications give the game a much more fluid and polished feel.

The best improvement by far, is the gameplay. No longer being a bland, non-challenging system where you have cover but never use it, Mass Effect 2 relies on cover the way Gears of War does. You can rarely run out in the open and try to play this like the first game without proper armor, defensive powers, and precaution. No longer can you pile up every overpowered power in your arsenal on enemies to dispose of them in seconds. They have made it balanced and smooth. The guns all feel different, the classes all feel VERY different, and the restrictions to which class can use which guns/powers is very well done. You could barely tell the difference between classes in the original, but in the sequel, you would have to be blind not to.

One thing that was awkward about such a dialogue, story-telling game in the first Mass Effect was the character expressions. The voice acting was superb (and is even better now), but the feel of immersion and belief was sometimes lost with the faces of character models being utterly inexpressive. Someone would raise their voice and their face would look like they just ate a rotten apple, it made no sense. Luckily this was all greatly remedied in the second game and there is no loss of feeling in these scenes. The camera was even made more cinematic in comparison to the static camera in the first game, which gives it a much improved cinematic scope.

Furthermore, the character development itself has improved greatly. BioWare did a good job with the cast of the first game, but in the second, not only is the main squad more endearing, but even the NPCs come off very entertaining and interesting. I found myself applauding the backstory of each character, and I even enjoyed the logical development of characters from the first game greatly.

Speaking of developing from the first game. Mass Effect 2 is really something else. Players can import a completed save game from the original (which means you HAVE to play both otherwise your gamer pass is revoked) and all their choices from the original carry into the second game. This is no exaggeration. EVERYTHING, every little thing you may have wondered the consequence or benefit of carries through. Playing Mass Effect 2 without importing a character or without having played the first one just isn't the same experience.

It's the little things, the realism of the universe itself that BioWare has put together which makes Mass Effect 2 a nearly perfect game and easily one of the best games ever made and the 2010 Game of the Year. The gameplay, graphics, story, atmosphere, soundtrack, voice acting, everything about this game is absolutely amazing. Missing out on this is missing out on a great part of gaming history.
  21. Jan 17, 2011
    Great game, with spectacular sound and graphics. Althought it don't grip as the first mass effect. History isn't so interested and deep and characters haven't a lot of of charisma.
  22. Feb 12, 2011
    For all that is done right (improved visuals, great backstorys of side characters, amazing voice talent) too much is paired back and streamlined from the original game. Almost all the of RPG elements are stripped back and simplified. Weapons and armour are limited in variety, as are upgrades to equipment. The shooter mechanics are tighted to the n-th degree, Gears of War the obvious template for controls. But exploration is no longer a pillar for the gameplay. Loot is reduced to a handful of the same elements. The variety just isn't here any more. Thankfully the writing is still sharp, the dialogue improved and the characters are all interesting for the most part. I just wish Bioware would refrain from going to such extremes to make the game more accessible to non-rpg gamers... Expand
  23. Mar 30, 2011
    This game is very good. It's hard to say whether or not it is better than the first. It is certainly my favorite game of 2010, Red Dead Redemption a close second.

The gameplay is much better in this game than the first. The combat is very nice, and the inventory system doesn't make you want to quit playing. In fact, the inventory is extremely streamlined, something RPG folks complain
    about. There is still inventory selection, you just don't have the same level of customization.

I also would like to point out reviewers like AliJ who say that the game is okay and is not better than the first, but then give the game a zero. Are you aware that there is a scale that allows you to choose 0 through 10? Usually anything less than 5 means it's awful to play. This game has beautiful graphics, great combat, and more RPG elements than cynics would have you believe. The true merit of this game lies within the story, however. The story is amazing, and has hundreds of little subplots that make this universe so amazing. I'm also a big fan of the codex, since I tend to like things like Wikipedia.

The first game had an amazing atmosphere to it to be sure. I don't think it will ever be recreated. That being said, you can't go home again. The series must progress, and I am enjoying the second game for what it is. Not an attempt to recapture the spirit of the first game, but a successful advancement of an ever-changing plot. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. It's cheap as all get out now.
  24. Apr 5, 2011
    I read other peoples reviews, some people are so in love with this game that they give it a 10, some people hate it with as much passion and give it a 0. its a good game but it doesnt deliver on that promise that its a RPG. Its a shooter with RPG elements and that are barely noticeable. thats the games biggest flaw and the reason why so many people hate dragon age 2 ( WORST ENDING EVER ). They have dumbed down the RPG aspects to appeal to the casual gamer but that doesn't make it a **** game. It comes close to being perfect but it isn't. Expand
  25. May 18, 2011
    This game delivers on the promise shown in Mass Effect. The graphics are much improved from the first and stand up to any other contemporary game. The action is well-paced. The story is interesting, and the game keeps moving. Well, until the planet-scanning, but when fans complained a patch was released that sped up the process of obtaining resources immensely. The sound is good and the music is perfectly suited to the sci-fi epic. The streamlining of gameplay made it seem like I was much more in the action than in ME1. True, they may have taken a few more things out than they had to, but I was fine with the end result. Loved ME1, this game is even better. Expand
  26. Aug 23, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are executed perfectly, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  27. Oct 7, 2011
    I loved Mass Effect 1, and I hoped Mass Effect 2 would bring the same amount of fun and even more. I was not disappointed. Mass Effect 1 did have more RPG features to it. However, with what Mass Effect 2 was lacking in the RPG department, made up for it by doing an extreme overhaul in every single aspect of the game. Graphics are phenomenal and the game runs very smoothly, not extremely chopper like ME1. Mass Effect 2's combat is improved as well. The only thing bad about both games is that I wish there was more dialogue with characters. I do however like the loyalty missions that ME2 put in - makes the characters more relatable - it makes you feel like you're helping an actual person and you become attached to these characters; something I thought wasn't going to happen due to me being disappointed that most of the ME1 crew wasn't going to be squad members. Overall, this game is better than ME1; a major improvement in the series and I hope they incorporate more RPG elements in Mass Effect 3. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    Any game that gets me to replay through the story 3+ times is worthy of a 10 in my book. There's really not anything bad I can say about the game, it's pretty much a masterpiece.
  29. Mar 14, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. This is a near-flawless experience with fantastic game play, a rich and compelling story, an excellent voice cast, amazing graphics and a great soundtrack. This is definitely the 'Empire Strikes Back' of our time. The DLC is impressive and gives this game a lot of replay-ability. While the game could have used a few options in the menu, such as not showing helmets during conversations, I can see no reason to give this anything less then 10. Expand
  30. Nov 7, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is even better than the original. Just about every problem that people had with the first one has been fixed in this sequel. The combat is smoother and more fun, the dialogue has been made even better (yes, that's possible) and the side quests are no longer repetitive sequences of driving around an empty planet in your tank. The only thing that makes this game not deserve a 10 is some pacing issues early on in the game, but that's a minor complaint. Otherwise, Mass Effect 2 definitely deserves its 96 metascore. Expand
  31. Aug 13, 2010
    This game is amazing. Surely one of the best games of all time. When I first played the game it started of quite slow and seemed mediocre, but as it went on, it redeemed itself with its superb story, presentation, characters, replayability and game play. I was totally blown away with the extraordinary attention to detail. Graphics are also very good if you consider the size and depth of the game. A must buy Expand
  32. Aug 25, 2010
    I can't understand all the praise this game recieved for it's so called "improvements" over the original. Bioware haven't tried to "improve" anything, though I'm not too sure how to improve a perfectly simple inventory in the first place. Oh..wait! That's right! By removing it altogether! So ya' can spend more time blastin' and less time trying to read those big words. Let's just cut the crap, apart from it's superficial impovements, this clearly is a step backwards in every way, at least for anybody with any brain cells anyway. Expand
  33. Aug 18, 2010
    This is my favorite game I've ever played so I feel obligated to write a review for it. Mass Effect 2 is almost perfect they improved many of my problems from the first game which was a very good game in it's own regard and made it excellent. In the first one the frame rate was bad, the combat was stale and the Dialogue options were much less interesting all of this was fixed in Mass Effect 2. You have an compelling story, fun combat, great graphics and amazing characters with superb voice acting. What else can you really ask for in a game? Mass Effect 2 delivers in EVERY category. Expand
  34. Aug 21, 2010
    This is my favourite game ever, why ?, because no game is so fast paced while still emotional like this, the combat system is perfect, the game never lags even with the frantic action.
  35. Aug 24, 2010
    Absolutely love this game. More action now and it made feel sorry for most of my crew with their stories (Especially Jack). I just love this game. Awesome.
  36. Aug 24, 2010
    What more can a humble Biotic such as I say about a game that so captures one's imagination and draws one in on such a deeply exciting way? There just isn't anything bad to say about this game! On principle, I don't give out 10's, just because someday a game will come along (hope, hope) that will so blow all other games away that I have to finally bestow that crown on its hallowed brow. Seriously, though, if you never play this game, you will be depriving yourself of one of the greatest joys ever in gaming. Take if from me: I'm 50 years old and have played more games than most of you ever will. Expand
  37. Apr 1, 2011
    ME2 is one of the best game I ever played, maybe THE best. I didn't take my time and I have like 40 hours on just one game, so if I didn't skip the cinematics, it would be even more... And I didn't finish the game. I guess it could be around the 100 hours if you take your time. It's a complete game, with no bugs, a good history, a good ( Paragon ) and bad side ( Renegade ) and it affects the game, also the members that you can help so they are loyal or not. There is a lot of side-quests, a nice thing in these kinds of games. Also, there is a lot of classes, with different guns or powers. Another thing I liked is the armor personalization. There's a lot of people to talk to so you can learn more about the universe of Mass Effect, of Cerberus and others things. The action part is very good as well. You can have a lot of guns if you're a soldier, have almost the Force ( reference to Star Wars ) or have snipers and the invisibility power to surprise ennemies. I really liked this game, and I give it a nice 9. This game is awesome. I recommend this to everyone, hardcore gamers like casual gamers, fans of RPG or action. By the way, the RPG aspect is really ncie to. I don't like so much RPGs ( like Fallout 3 ) , just a little or when I have a RPG rus, but I like this RPG part a lot! Expand
  38. Apr 5, 2011
    The disappointing follow up to a good (not great) game: Mass Effect. ME2 differs from the first ME in almost every regard. Gone are the opportunities to craft your own personalized weaponry (through mods). Gone is the focus on saving the galaxy from the "Reaper" threat. And gone is the weapon heatsink system and the Mako (granted, the mako sections had horrible level design, but it was fun to drive). Instead, we are given a "recruitment" and monotony simulator, where we (the player) is tasked with recruiting a bunch of mercenaries, psychopaths, and forc- I mean, telepathy users. While the start of the game plays out nicely enough (balance of shooting, dialogue, and character development), it all ends up falling apart in the second Act. It is here that every single one of your squad members forgets that you are on a mission to stop the Collectors and starts whining to you to solve their "crippling" emotional and legal problems. Apparently, none of them want to utilize Kelly's counselling services (too cheery?). The game at this point shifts from "let's save the galaxy" to "Now counselling #267... #267?". Aside from the "Counselling Effect", game is further bogged down by the "scanning" minigame; necessary to obtain resources to upgrade the ship, and to do sidequests. Imagine having to do a 3 minute scan for every planet in a system... that's 10 minutes of nothing right there, per sector. Speaking of sidequests, they tend to have little to no impact on the main quest, or the game in general; they're just diversions with equipment upgrades thrown in to give you a reason to do them. DLC is poor as well (see: firewalker pack... that thing is supposed to replace the Mako?). There is an overabundance of dialogue in this game (an understatement), with many characters having long winded conversations with the NPC, which encourages dialogue skipping. Combat is similar to ME, but with a horribly inefficient "clip system", when compared to the heatsink systems in ME. This frustrates combat (especially against Collectors, who can become possessed and have their defenses regenerate instanteously). Tech powers and Biotics all share the same cooling system now, which is to say that if you use a power with a long cool down time, you will be crippled powerwise and techwise for that power's cooldown duration. Skill management has been severely reduced, from say 12 down to 5, leading to little customization of your character's skill set and a feeling a uniqueness. The A.I. is still pretty dumb; at times, they will use cover. But for the majority of your playthrough, they'll stand there and get shot repeatedly until they keel over and croak. Defenses are laughably weak in this game; in ME, you had the option of turning your suit of armor into a walking shield generator, ensuring you could soak up gunfire while poking out and taking potshots. In ME2, your defenses seem to be able to stand the collective force of four bullets before collapsing, and upgrades tend to do very little to increase their strength. The mechanics for how the end game plays out is ridiculous as well. Your squads ability to survive depends on the quality of your counselling services, upgrades to the ship, and upgrades found in boring side quests, and is not determine by skill, luck or chance. Instead, its determined by a series of conditions. Fail to meet just one of these conditions, and that teammate(s) chances of dying increase greatly, end of story . No epic gun battle, no consideration of the overall defense strength of your squad; just a behind the scenes checklist. Given the choice of the buffoons the Illusive Man wants me to recruit and run of the mill soldiers, i'd take the soldiers. At least they'd be focused on the mission, and wouldn't bug me about their "problems". Expand
  39. Nov 19, 2010
    Ever hear the expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Well, with Mass Effects 2, Bioware really fixed it. For starters, the main plot is nowhere near as well-written or cleverly developed across the gameplay experience as it was in ME1. The voice-acting is good, and the dialogue is good, but he main story arc is far too sparsely delivered, and the final boss fight is pure and utter lameness. To add insult to injury, Bioware completely butchered the talent/power system, giving the tougher enemies special defenses that can only be taken down with a few key powers. This means that you are constantly using the same few powers over, and over, and OVER, and it is nothing like the wonderfully diverse and enjoyable talent/power system from ME1. This fact alone makes giving this game a good rating utterly impossible. In addition, Bioware decided to HEAVILY restrict the character customization options in ME2, for what reason I have no idea. They completely eliminated your ability to customize your teammates' armor/appearance, making it feel like they're barely your characters at all. They restrict the main character's armor choices to an insane degree, completely gutting ME1's L/M/H armor types and leaving the player with just a few bulky armors to choose from (and that's only if you buy all the DLC's), all of which look ridiculous. They oversimplified the skill/stat system to the point of stupidity, making leveling-up seem almost completely irrelevant. They removed entirely the ability to explore remote worlds with the vehicle, and instead replaced it with a horrendously boring mini-game with which to "mine" worlds for necessary resources. Lastly, because of all the restrictions Bioware decided to impose on the player in ME2, this game has ZERO replay value. Once you've done it, you never want to do it again. Basically, Mass Effect 2 is like Mass Effect 1, only with a LOT less stuff. Being a die-hard Bioware fan, this game was one of my biggest video game disappointments of all-time. Expand
  40. Mar 25, 2011
    The first game is one of the best RPG's you will ever play, but the sequel is a massive step backwards with a lot of pointless changes for the worse.

One pointless change is the firing of weapons. It's now a case of holding down shoot and spraying until you need to reload. Your weapon will never overheat and your accuracy never affected.

They've listened to complains about the inventory
    in ME1, but instead of fixing it, they've removed it entirely.

They have turned Mass Effect into a mindless action shooter like Gears of War. Steer clear.
  41. Mar 11, 2011
    Biggest disappointment of 2010 for me... I enjoyed the original ME even though it could have been a lot better gameplay wise. The story really hooked me and I found the setting, soundtrack and artistic style familiar but very interesting in its own way. ME2 on the other hand I didn't like at all. It feels much more generic and less mature. All the feedback the fans gave on the Bioware forums didn't seem to have made any impact on the games development. The only thing they did seem to acknowledge was the unimpressive combat and A.I from the first game. Everything else was either watered down or simply scrapped entirely. Most of the interesting aspects like the RPG elements and the planet exploration just got removed. These things could have been improved vastly over the original, but instead they took the easy option and replaced them with much more casualised ideas. I saw a lot of potential for this IP after playing the first game, now all that has gone to waste with ME2. ME3 is no longer of interest to me. Expand
  42. Mar 6, 2012
    Guess you finally got that big Ad deal with EA Metacritic? That's why you removed 90% of the nagative reviews even though they didn't violate any rule? No but seriously, f you and f your sh*tty site. Pirate the game and see for yourself if it's any good before you buy it. Don't listen to payed reviewers and the 1% of the people who played it that actually liked it and therefore was given permission to voice their opinion here.

There is only about 5minutes before this message is deleted by the EA death squads. But I hope I can save a few souls.
  43. Apr 25, 2011
    Loved the first game, don't know what happen in this one. Feels that they didn't feel good with the game the first time and threw everything away. Is a complete different setting, instead of the council now it has a corporate sponsor. Horrible plots with lots of holes. The last one was sci-fi, this is like gossip girl on space. Arrrgh! I can't believe I wasted 60 bucks in this. Not buying the next one for sure. And they can buy all the reviews they want. In the end, they know who are the real fans. Why buying an angry space shooter game if there is Gears, Half life, even Modern Warfare. What was this game offering that the others didn't? All that they threw it away. Expand
  44. May 14, 2011
    This game was supremely disappointing, in so many ways. It threw away its RPG roots for a more consumer friendly 3rd person shooter feel. Smooth gameplay, but you can tell this game was made for money, and not made to contribute a real, lasting RPG element to the realm of classical RPG's. This game is basically twenty hours of shoot this, shoot that, with a very predictable storyline and a few useless side missions that contributed little to nothing to the story. I was a huge fan on the first ME. And Bioware disappointed me greatly in their effort to make more money. They were clearly not supporting the hardcore fans that bought and enjoyed ME 1. The gameplay came out smoother then the first, and the graphics were even better. That is why I am giving it a five. Otherwise it was a very lackluster game. On a side note, the music in this game was hardly noticeable, and was in no way as memorable as the first, or as creative as the first. Basically the only songs I enjoyed were the remakes of the songs in the original Expand
  45. osh
    Sep 4, 2011
    I am honestly baffled why review scores are so high for this game. I loved the first game, but the sequel just made me feel like I wasn't in control. I think I liked the first Mass Effect so much just because it had a really well-thought-out universe that allowed for some really exciting action, interesting characters, and a gripping story, all the while forcing me make tough decisions but rewarding my wise choices. Mass Effect 2, by contrast, seems to sacrifice the integrity of the universe, characters, and story for more action, excitement, and drama; and though the decisions are still tough, the wise choices are apparently replaced by only irrational, dramatic dialogue options -- and that's not even mentioning the alienating game design changes, namely the introduction of reloading (for which there seems to be no other reason than to fit in with shooters, despite being needlessly annoying), the complete overhaul of the weapon system (which caters to newbies who play shooters and punishes those who played the first game), and the decided lack of standard-definition TV support (making most of the text unreadable to me, leaving me confused and even angry).

I bought this game expecting a fulfilling sequel experience, but instead I got a game that betrayed my expectations, even to the point of insult. That said, the game has amazing visuals, and I imagine it would be enjoyable to those who played ME1, didn't care about playing a rational character, either don't remember the story in detail or don't care about ret-cons, and want a completely new combat system; or those who didn't play ME1, don't mind the nagging feeling that they're missing part of the story, and like action heroes and shooting things.
  46. Nov 21, 2011
    Not *really* a zero game, but the 9.0 is WAY off... I would give it a 7 legitimately. overall, the fact that I beat ME1 some 6 times, spending anywhere from a week to over a month on each playthrough, to beating ME2 in a single weekend, having done *EVERYTHING* to be done in the game, and never looking back spoke volumes to me. It really ruined the entire series in my eyes. And i cannot begin to comprehend how it got such a high user score here, thus I'm submitting a zero to counter it. I was a huge fan of ME1, but ME2 was all graphics and no game. 1. they ruined the controls, taking it from a tactical action rpg to just an action game. 2. They added shared timers on the characters abilities, seriously hindering how the game is played. 3. Got rid of all RPG elements, giving you only linear upgrades to single choice weapons and armor. 4. They made the dialogs horrid, compared to ME1 - choices went from captian awesome --> **** in ME1 to cry baby --> immature jackass in ME2. 5. The levels were completely linear, with zero feeling of "exploration" captured in ME1, plus the levels were way too small, taking mere minutes to clear each level. and i could go on about the problems but i think you get the point. Expand
  47. Feb 13, 2012
    Based on only playing (and loving) the first game, this one seemed like a slap in the face. The premise being, that if you love a game, then surely the sequel will be made with you in mind, right? Wrong. These days it's all about catering to the haters, and throwing yourself after the lowest common denominator in pursuit of wider marketshare. This is probably the most disappointed I've ever been with a game in my life, and from all indications I've seen ME3 is following down the same path. We'll see. Expand
  48. Aug 28, 2014
    This generation of little brats has brought to you a ruined master piece of what ME1 was. They only know shooting, mindless simplified on rails game play, skip to the next fast travel location and the use of less brains, this is what they want in gaming and it is exactly what they got, you know why? Because money talks, and as long as these people keep forking their money up you will only get more dumb down simplified dribble like this game. It's not about the developer, it's society that demands this crap, until you fix this consumerism Americanised shallow way of life, you'll get games and anything related to entertainment like this. Simple, watered down, leave nothing to the imagination, hold your hand in the direction you're forced to go. Nothing you do in this game matters, there is a total disconnect, i had no feelings towards any of the characters because of the poor shallow written dialogs.

I did all character side quests, and stopped playing a few missions before the end because i had enough of how bad the story was and didn't want to waste my time / didn't even care about how this game ends. I rather never find out to be honest.
  49. Mar 9, 2011
    I have to say that this game took me by surprise. I was expecting to enjoy it, but not as much as I did. The world (while linear) is expansive and great in variety. If you are brave enough to go and scan all the planets in the galaxy, you will find many mini-missions. Some of those lead into their own little plot giving Mass Effect's mythology a greater breadth. There are also the expanse of normal side-quest you can access by talking to people and exploring different places. I did about 75% of everything you could do on one playthrough and it took me around 35 hours. That is a pretty good length for am Action RPG. This game did have its flaws though. I might have given this a ten, but that is only because these flaws are very minor, and may only be here because I am nitpicking. If you want an epic story, this game does it in a strange way. There are many short stories played throughout the game as you meet new characters, but the story is only an epic tale once you complete the game. If you were expecting a "lone hero sent to save the universe" type of story, you may be slightly disappointed. The game is a great bridge that sets up the continuing Mass Effect story-line, but the game's story itself is slightly lack-luster. But remember that this is only my opinion, and you should play the game to decide for yourself.
    So...the elephant in the room: Combat. I find this form of combat to be refreshing and much, much better than the first Mass Effect's. I understand that there are some gamers out there who crave a hardcore RPG that requires an insane amount of strategy and multitasking. If your one of those gamers, you will not enjoy ME2. It's combat is fast paced, shoot-em up action, with lots of enemies and sweet effects. Think of it as Star-Trek meets Gears of War. I personally enjoyed much more than the clunky combat from ME1. But, like I said, if you want hardcore RPG combat, this isn't for you. On to conversation. If you like talking, you'll love this game. I'd say more than half of the game is conversing with other characters. If you are like me, and you explore all the options in each conversation, you will open up a lot of interesting dialogue. Morality choices are also very common in this game. They can range from something as innocent as should I turn in or let someone go to who gets to live and die. These situations can be difficult to make a decision if you become connected to your party members. This is one of the reasons I loved this game so much. Bioware has actually gotten me, an average gamer, to care about video-game characters. That is not an easy task.
    So overall, I found this game very enjoyable, and very well done. If you haven't checked this one out yet, save up and buy it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
  50. Aug 29, 2010
    Great game. Perhaps better than ME1, but they tweaked it so much it is hard for me to judge. The inventory, half the skills, elevators, and medigel are all gone. They stripped down the RPG elements to make the game more appealing to the masses, I suppose, which I don't particularly blame them for, as the crazy FPS fans were too confused to deal with all the aforementioned elements. I prefer this one for it's superior combat and handling of powers (love the 3 hot keys) and exploration (no more 3 hour mako drives) , but I think I favor ME1 in terms of story. This one is a little more linear, with a couple missions you don't get a choice of when to go (horizon, collector ship). That is the only dissapointment for me. Otherwise, I love the importing character option, many of the new characters (Mordin is awesome) and romance options. Great game, even more so if you import your ME1 character. Expand
  51. Aug 31, 2010
    When you start a game at eight at night, and five minutes later its eight in the morning, you know you got your moneys worth. Mass Effect 2 far exceeded any expectations I had going in. At first I was a bit skeptical because I am not the biggest fan of shooter games, they arenâ
  52. Mar 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a stunning piece of entertainment. I loved the original, and at first I didn't like some of the changes made to game-play, with less of a focus on precise levelling up and equipping suit and weapon upgrades. It wasn't until the final mission on my first play through that I realised this was something special. The graphics are spectacularly polished and, despite some minor hiccups in the game-play, it is an engaging story with fascinating characters, all of whom have superb voice acting behind them. The soundtrack is spectacular and the set piece cut scenes are phenomenal, making it one of the best games ever made. If you love sci-fi movies, like I do, then there's a good chance you'll love Mass Effect 2. Expand
  53. Sep 5, 2010
    after thoroughly enjoying the original mass effect i was really looking forward to this the original was brilliantly written the shooting aspects were good, however not perfect though.I was incredibly pleased to find that the incredibly detailed narrative had returned in its full glory and the shooting had been vastly improved as well as using your biotic/tech abilities.If there had to be one downside it would be the actually main story of the game lacks a little bit of the quality of the first, but the conversational aspects are still top notch. However this takes nothing away from the experience or the over all quality of the game. This is my favourite game of the year so far and i don't see anything beating it as it is a perfect all round experience that pretty much everyone can enjoy Expand
  54. Nov 25, 2010
    To put it simple - best action-rpg hybrid I ever played, my favorite game so far.
    BioWare created great universe with well writen characters, story and action - amazing job BW!
    Can't wait for Mass Effect 3!
  55. Sep 12, 2010
    Perfect ?... No, not really,no game deserve a 10 : for example, the level design is still very poor (1 corridor, 1 or 2 room, no really choices), and combat can be very boring after 10 hours of play...

But damn... what a good game in every other domains !!!
  56. Feb 26, 2011
    Through replays and expansions I have put in over 100 hours into this game, and I'm eager to play more. I think this may be my favorite game of all time.
  57. Sep 19, 2010
    This a great game and much better than the first. The plot is amazing, which is to be expected from BioWare, but the gameplay is also really good. The only flaw is a few control issues. Sometimes trying to get into cover leads you to jump out of cover, and the lack of a lock on button is problematic, but these flaws are over shadowed by a generally good combat system.
  58. Sep 23, 2010
    Pound for pound, one of the finest games ever conceived, a rival to Metal Gear Solid 4 and Sonic 3 for greatest sequel in the history of video games, and a hell of a ride from start to finish.
  59. Sep 28, 2010
    I've had very mixed feelings about this game, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that this game is disappointing in so many ways that I can't give it a high score. This game has a lot of positives but the negatives overshadow them unfortunately. The graphics for example: The art style is not bad, the game runs better than the first Mass Effect and the game can look really good at times. However, the inconsistency hurts the overall experience as the game can look pretty poor and have bad textures. The soundtrack has some good tracks, but overall I think it sounds too much like something you'd hear in a cheesy Hollywood movie. The gameplay, while the combat is better than the one in the original ME and is more epic in scope, is also lacking. The RPG elements in this game are poorly done and are almost non-existent. The game is also fairly linear most of the time and there is too much emphasis on the shooting, which makes it feel like a corridor shooter at times. The story is lackluster, the characters are really good IMO, I liked them a lot despite the fact that most of their loyalty missions were daddy issues. However, the main plot is bland, feels like filler and is almost non-existent. Mass Effect 2's plot can easily be summarized like this: Stop the collectors with a team of badasses. That's it, it doesn't go any deeper than that and that is truly a shame. To sum it up: It's not a bad game at all, I had my fun. But I can't say it's a good one either. It's mediocre and I'm not used to this kind of quality from Bioware. Hopefully Mass Effect 3 will be better. Expand
  60. Jan 12, 2011
    Game of the Year 2010. In a year that included Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood and Starcraft 2, that's some achievement. Story, characterisation, the fully realised, believable sci-fi world, and the vastly improved inventory system. The best game of the year, and one of the top 5 games of all time. The third game can't come soon enough.
  61. Sep 29, 2010
    Brilliant sequel to what was one of my favourite games. Was worried about the loss of RPG elements, but never missed them; and the increased production values, mechanics more then made up for the loss. The last mission has to be one of my most memorable gaming moments for a long time, can't wait for the sequal to finish off the trilogy.
  62. Oct 23, 2010
    AMAZING. This is the best game i have ever played. It has the best story, the best characters, and probably the best graphics out of all the games i have ever played.
  63. Oct 8, 2010
    Too much EA, not enough Bioware. Disappointing, as Mass Effect 1, just needed a few tweaks to make it one of the best titles ever. It had the action/RPG balance. The story had an epic quality, the really distinctive soundtrack.. Dark is fine, in fact it can be great. But the writers of ME2 seem to think that adding edginess can compensate for weak storytelling.

Granted, combat was a
    little clunky was in the first game, but the rest of the game was so tight that it didn't matter. An there were some great elements within that made it a unique experience (like overheating weapons, etc). Combat, in ME2, is certainly smoother. But the whole package comes across like a weak, more-of-the-same FPS underpinned by shallow RPG elements.

I'm amazed this game's sky high reviews - obviously people love it. I haven't been this disappointed by a sequel since Prince of Persia 2.
  64. Nov 27, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games ever made, putting you into an action packed narrative, filled with memorable characters and genuine feelings. Perfect length, amazing aesthetics, and a universe you will not want to leave. Cannot wait for the next installment.
  65. Oct 14, 2010
    This game is the perfect balance of streamlined rpg and third person shooter action, and story elements. If you liked the hardcore rpg aspects of ME1, you may be disapointed, but If all the info in the firt game was daunting to you, then you'll love this game. Also, listing the all of improvments made to the other aspects of the game would take longer than an elevator ride at the citadel.
  66. Oct 15, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the best Action RPG's of this generation. Some people argue that the first was better, because of the lack of the RPG elements that were used in the first game. I can understand their need for these factors, as some people want a game that requires a lot of strategy. Yes, Mass Effect 2 isn't as strategic as the first, but that doesn't mean to say that's made the game worse in any way. Actually, it exceeded far beyond my expectation. Especially the Universal Acclaim score of 96. The official critics are very accurate with their scores for this game. The graphics have been drastically improved, as well of the overall gameplay (new, and updated engine), with an amazing cast of voice charactors. Also (it's hard for this next part not to sound repetative) the world BioWare created is such a believable world, it makes you feel like you're playing an interactive version of the original Star Wars trilogy. When i finished Mass Effect 2 i was so damn impressed i needed to spread the word of how amazing this game is. Trust me, this isn't one you'll want to miss. And just for a side note; everyone who prefers the first game, it would be a great decision for you to ignore those factors that you loved about the first game that you wanted in the second game, and just play Mass Effect 2 again to experience how it was ment to be experienced. As an action adventure title, with great story-telling and plot. Then you will see why everyone loves it so much. Havn't you been confused of why everyone but you loved this game so much. Please do play the game again though, or you will be missing out. Expand
  67. Oct 17, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 takes place in an outstanding universe. Characters are well developed and their conflicts make you submerge in their history. The story is SUPERB (better than many movies), graphics are excellent, and gameplay is great (not entirely fluid). The only drawback is the slow paced resource mining. If loading times are a problem, just install BOTH discs on your hard drive. It will not eliminate the waiting, but it will sure reduce it. Also, with all the variety of the main character's classes, you'll be playing this game more than twice. This game totally stands up to Bioware's excellent reputation. Every XBOX gamer should have this game in their collection. Expand
  68. Oct 17, 2010
    My favorite game of all time. Period. I absolutely loved it. It is the most well made game I've ever played, and so enjoyable that I went back and played the entire thing again. The DLC is worthwhile, as well.
  69. Oct 23, 2010
    I really enjoyed this RPG game. I have replayed it a few times and took different "paths" by choosing different characters and options. The planet mining was kind of boring, but it wasn't too bad... LOL The story line was usually decent. The characters were OK, a few personality oddities kind of took away from the game, but it was still a great game to play. I think it is the best game I have played from E.A. I hope they keep this kind of work up. Expand
  70. Nov 2, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is a definite competitor for game of the year and if it won it I wouldn't be overly surprised. There is only one game that is standing in its way and that is the mighty Red Dead Redemption. This game is quite possibly better than Gears of War, as the combat is very similar but the cover system could use a little work to be considered Gears of War good. The story is possibly the best feature about the game as it is a compelling space opera, with a great script and a beautifully detailed world to explore. If you are even remotely interested in the Sci-fi genre then this is an absolute must, although maybe not every ones cup of tea as the game can sometimes drag on a bit between missions. Without spoiling anything lets just say this has one of the most epic endings that a video game could have, rivaling the masterful Red Dead Redemption. This is a very personal game as you can control nearly everything your characters says and does, but what is most impressive is how the other characters react in such a way that truly makes you feel what you say makes a difference. There are also choices to make like who to defend if an argument brakes out between fellow crew members and it is up to you how you deal with the situation (choosing sides or being mutual). Beware this can have a huge effect on how the final sequence plans out which is why this game is so impressive and unique to most of the other games out there. You can be nice or you can be nasty in your reactions to your characters which you talk to. This gain you positive or negative reactions. So if your still reading this you must be some what interested in the game so why not just pop out and get it, it can be picked up fairly cheap these days. Expand
  71. Nov 1, 2010
    Well, it's odd to say the least to see people here give this game a grade of less than 8. The whole thing, production values, script, planning.. it all deserves a 10, this game rocks. "Feels outdated?" ,"angry spaceshooter?" If you haven't played this game yet, you really should.
  72. Mar 2, 2011
    The best game ive ever played. The most enjoyable, interesting, emotional, rewarding game out there. Never in a game have the characters been so memorable, you actually care what happens to them. To be voted game of the year when it came out in January says it all. Well done Bioware.
  73. Nov 5, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 has better graphics, music, characters, story, and gameplay than it's predecessor, and it's predecessor was already a great game. Do not miss this experience.
  74. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = The most personal gaming experience in recent memory. Packed with content and awesome decision making sections, this game is truly yours. Best science fiction game as well.
  75. Nov 11, 2010
    This, yes this game is obvious the "Game Of The Year"

Mass Effect was a great game, played it for over a hundred hours and yet Mass Effect 2 made it even better. What was broken is not, what we wanted we got. A epic story and great acting and most important hours of fun! (10,0)

Fight for the lost!
  76. Nov 13, 2010
    Beautiful game. Far superior to the first one, which felt clunky and at sometimes boring, but still a good game. This is GOTY material and should be treated as such. It has amazing and developed characters (for the most part... Samara...), and may prove challenging depending on your difficulty level. It's great and expansive. Must buy.
  77. Nov 24, 2010
    The gameplay is less RPG and more 3rd person shooter, but they retained the RPG story elements, which is what made the original Mass Effect Great anyway. This is my game of the year. Though I hope they 3rd one removes the element mining, which was monotonous.
  78. Feb 13, 2012
    I have to say, that I was a little disappointed with this game, purely because of how often it was compared to the first of the series and how often it was supposed to be better. But, I mean... Mass Effect is my favorite game of all time. With Mass Effect 2 they looked at almost everything wrong with Mass Effect and fixed it. Game play is more polished and streamlined, no more pop in textures, layout is far prettier. So this is truly a fantastic game. But notice how I said "almost everything". The story itself can really get repetitive, you spend most of your time picking up crew members and dealing with each of there problems. That is literally 80% of the game. Now... plenty of their problems are fun to play, and almost always finding your crew members is fun. But, its repetitive, and sometimes they are really just boring and end up feeling more like a shooter. I had more fun with the first of the series, but this is a pretty great sequel. Expand
  79. Nov 24, 2010
    They took everything I loved about Mass Effect, and improved it endlessly for the second installment. I don't care what anyone else says, this game was perfection, I can't wait for Mass Effect 3!
  80. Nov 25, 2010
    Absolutely, hands down, the most intense, engaging, and thoughtful role-playing action game ever made. Everything about this is polished and interesting, and I find myself picking up and playing it all over again several times, even though I know what every choice and option there is to take. It's a great game, and it's one that I will never forget playing. For people who love a complex story, it's amazing. And, the DLC adds quite a bit to an already expansive game. Get this. Now. Expand
  81. Jan 15, 2011
    Don't get me wrong this game is amazing in almost every way. It's just that it doesn't really feel like a RPG Sandbox game, because exploration is very limited. Maybe in ME3 they'll fix it.
  82. Dec 31, 2010
    Mass Effect 1 was groundbreaking. It took games like Jade Empire and Star Wars KOTOR and those other style fantasy huge RPG's and shifted them to next gen nicely. Beautiful design, amazing created universe that would make George Lucas proud, lovely graphics and some of the best gameplay in a game i've experienced. Obviously, it was a tough act to follow but they managed it with aplomb. Firstly, you notice the game picks up from the first one, quite literally, whatever choices you make in the first one affect the game you are playng in the second one. The characters are even more diverse and the idea that you have to assemble the rag tag bunch and upgrade their department is a great idea. Everything you do culminates to the ending and, without spoiling anything, is a classic ending. Altough i must say you will want to upgrade and interact with your friends in this game to make sure they can come back from the suicide mission. The graphics are just as good and the design of the worlds are just as unique and diverse. The voice acting is also good. Seth Green in particular reprising his role from the first movie as the light hearted pilot Joker. All in all, its a classic and the fact that its part of a trilogy makes it all the more epic. Along with Star Wars KOTOR, the Mass Effect series will go down as the most definitive games of the decade. Expand
  83. Dec 18, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is by far one of the best games out. The storyline is superb and the graphics are superb also. The way you can choose all the different dialogues and actions. You can be a paragon or renegade. This game is just top of the line. And also I banged Miranda
  84. Jan 1, 2011
    Just here to reiterate on what everyone else has already said. This game is **** bomb as **** And my review must be 150 character long so this is meant to waste space. Appologies.
  85. Jan 2, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is an engrossing an addictive game, but i really feel that they took away some of the best elements to it. The story line is gripping, the characters are awesome, weapons etc. But what happened to customization? What i loved about the first one, was not only the plethora of weapons, armor, omni tools and the like, but the customization you could put into them. For example, a lancer assault rifle, with a damage of 120 could be upgraded to with a combat sensor, kinetic stabalizer , and several different types of ammunition. Every weapon, and each armor at least has 1 or 2 sometimes 3 upgrade slots. I mean granted, there was only a set amount of items you can carry(150 i believe) but thats what was a lot of fun for me in the first one. Now each character, gets to pick an ammo type and have that active on your weapon. The thermal clip is another thing i didn't like in the second one. Call me crazy, but i love unlimited ammo lol. In the first one, there was a lot more points and a lot more attributes to help level up your character, when you leveled up sometimes and most of the time, in the middle of combat. In the second one, you level up at the end of each mission. Those are my cons, i wish they would have kept some of those things. But the rest of the game is solid. From the story line, to the upgrades to the Normandy, to doing endorsements in the citadel.
    And to be completely fair, i fear change, so my review may not be the best on the spot, but if it helps you make a choice in getting it, i am glad i could help.
  86. Jan 10, 2011
    I've been a Bioware fan since Dragon Age, and this game is definitely a credit to the developer! Mass Effect 2 is absolutely awesome! I can't tell you how many times I've sat down to play for an hour and all of the sudden the entire day is gone!
  87. Jan 22, 2011
    Beautiful story, beautiful visuals, funny jokes, interesting characters, decent shooting, what's not to love? Great game, I've got to say. GOTY 2010.
  88. Jan 11, 2011
    pure genius; all of it. especially the porting your character from ME 1 so you can see the continuation and effects of your choices from the first game. love all the DLC so far (one more DLC on the way by may I hear). the missions, the characters and dialogue and... it's really just a perfect game. graphics, sounds, cover system, weapons all perfect.

I've played through 7 times and each
    was a different experience in how I approached the interactions and missions. yes it's that deep of a game!

own it!
  89. Feb 28, 2011
    A game that can keep me interested for 6+ playthroughs hardly deserves a negative review. It isn't perfect, but if those are the standards expected nowadays, expect a lot of disappointment from absolutely everything. The combat is gripping and fresh. The decisions are cut and dry, but still engaging. 9.7
  90. Feb 28, 2013
    A disgrace to what could have been. I played through the first Mass Effect over two times, for about 80 hours. I couldn't wait to finally play Mass Effect 2 and see how the story would develop. What magnificent new encounters would await me. What did I get instead? Ambush after ambush like a cheap Gears of War clone. Largely stripped of the role playing elements that made ME1 such a great game, ME2 feels like what a husk from ME1 must feel like a soulless shell of what used to be. Expand
  91. Feb 16, 2011
    Absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. Great plot, amazing graphics, life like characters and the best dialogue system in gaming history. Only thing that left me a bit disappointed was the character development. It was too simple and lacked the choices
  92. Feb 27, 2011
    The game manages to improve the faults of its predecessor by adding game play mechanics and introducing the ability to import saved files form the first game. PROS: Firefights are vastly improved. Character and story progression is good. In game choices make an impact in story development. Different classes in game offer unique ways to play and manage to feel different. CONS: Minimal RPG aspects. Game feels more like a shooter than an RPG. Expand
  93. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect is my favourite game of all time. Despite the loading times and lack of planet exploration, it's perfect. Best video game series of all time. Buy it. RIGHT NOW.
  94. Mar 2, 2011
    I really don't mean to overstate anything, but Mass Effect 2 may be the greatest single manifestation of entertainment in history. Oh, and the mining thing was fun too. Jokes.
  95. Mar 9, 2011
    This game will replace your life for a solid 40 hours. And that's if you can resist playing it again. And again. And again. Each character build is so unique, with its own strengths, weaknesses and challenges. The story is incredibly entertaining. The graphics are mind-blowing. The combat is incredibly rewarding, fun and well-paced. The level system is intuitive and thoughtful, eliminating the mere appearance of variety in favor of meaningful choices. The weapon/armor/equipment system is similarly straightforward, offering you the same benefits of upgraded weapons as you travel through the galaxy and gain more experience without the unwieldy and frustrating inventory interface that plagued ME1 (and Dragon Age: Origins). The controls flow seamlessly, and the combat and movement interfaces are intuitive and easy to use. There are only a couple very minor drawbacks: mining, which you need to do for upgrades, can be tedious (or it is insanely addictive, depending on who you ask); missions are too linear (but aren't we getting at least a little sick of all this Oblivion/Fallout/NWN2 open world nonsense, where you forget about the main storyline quests after the 4th random sidequest you stumble upon?); the main storyline isn't as compelling as ME1 (it's the second in a trilogy; it's necessarily transitional); the planet surface exploration is gone, and the paragon/renegade construct feels somewhat forced. But these are all very minor and often debatable criticisms of a truly fantastic and epic game. Everyone should play ME2. Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2011
    Great game that does a lot to fix the troublesome interface issues of the original Mass Effect. Incredible writing, wonderful voice acting from Jennifer Hale. Some of the add-on missions are truly moving (while others are just terrible) while the main game is is outstanding. Weapon choices do feel a little pointless and planet mining, while soothing, can get pretty dull. Thank heavens they got rid of the elevator loading screens. Expand
  97. Mar 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware never fail to impress me, for this game was REALLY game of the year of 2010, great characters, good gameplay mechanics and truly an epic story. Mass Effect 2 was truly a gem on my shelf and to this day remains to be one of the best games ever made in 2010. I like the way how the decisions you make in ME1 affect ME2 and how characters react to you. For example, if you killed off the council in ME1 the other races except for the human race and the your squad members will dislike you and react to your decision. The mining game is quite unnecessary but at least we get SOME reward for it like the resources we need for useful and important upgrades. The game may be a third person shooter-RPG hybrid but the weapons in this game are terrificly balanced as no weapon is powerful or weaker then each other. It's a bit of a shame you can't actually fly the Normandy but the ship is so designed and massive that you can scratch this flaw out and deal with it. The graphics are some of THE best I have seen in a video game and the cutscenes in which you can interact in are so beautiful especially the cinematic ones. The soundtrack is probably one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard of in my life. My personal favourite is "Suicide Mission", one of the best tracks I have ever heard. If you don't have ME1, you don't need to buy it, as ME2 fills you in on what has happened during the tutorial. Plus if you completed ME1 you can import your Shepard into ME2 which is a welcome feature. The DLC is also worth the money, I mean you will want to empty your pockets for the DLC in ME2. You have the SR-1 Normandy crash site, Zaeed and Kasumi as squadmates, new weapons and armor, Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker and the upcoming ME2-ME3 bridge gap DLC "Arrival". Oh and if you buy a new copy of ME2 you get a code for the Cerberus Network which gives you some armor and weapons, the SR-1 Normandy crash site and Zaeed. If you buy a used copy on the game, prepare to give in 1200 Microsoft points. The voice acting is also very good quality in Mass Effect 2, and the tone, pitch and overall, the lines, make good voice acting for Mass Effect 2. (Unlike Sonic 06, the voice acting was bad in that). Mass Effect 2 is overall one of the best video games to every come out of BioWare and with Mass Effect 3 coming out later this year, the series is set for a phenomenal conclusion to be remembered in years. If you don't have it now, buy it, or I will punch you in the face like I did to Khalisah Al-Jilani, a reporter in the game, but not a major character at all, but still, if you don't buy this and BAM! Expand
  98. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and on the Xbox 360.

The game is a TPS RPG Sci-Fi game. You take the role of Commander Shepard and you can customise his/her appearance, it is horrible. And you can give your character a background story and to let people know who you are.
    Or if you have played Mass Effect 1, you can import your character to Mass Effect 2.

If you have played ME1, then you will have to get use to the new gameplay system. But thankfully it's so much better then ME1. Bioware has improved all the things from the first one and made it a master piece.

Mass Effect 2 has a deep and amazing story that pulls you in and wanting to know more. But ME2 is more of a character game. You are having to do their loyalty missions in order to help you on your missions. The characters are Incredible, each and everyone has a unique dialog and background. If your playing as a Male or Female, you have romance options, you can either have a relationship with them or you don't want one or if you have one from ME1.

But the best thing about this game is the choices. You can be good or evil is Mass Effect on what your peronality is or to just have fun. But remember, even the smallest and harmless choice can change the game in the future or in ME3, choose wisely.

You must absoluteley own this game, either on PC or PS3, you cannot miss the epic game. If you seen all the awards and ratings it gets, you'll understand why when you play it. A must buy.
  99. Mar 13, 2011
    A masterclass in video game creation. I loved the original Mass Effect but I had my gripes with it. The combat was clunky and the slow loading textures on environments and characters really hurt the immersion that the story created. Bioware not only fixed these problems but improved on things that were great to begin with. Combat is intense and exhilarating and the entire game looks beautiful. Bioware does a great job of peeling back the layers of their characters and making them interesting and likeable. The world of Mass Effect is also fleshed out, giving us closer insights into races such as the quarians and krogans. There is absolutely no negative remarks I can make for this game because it never once disappointed me. Sublime. Expand

1. Mass Effect 2 overcomes its few gameplay weaknesses with a fantastic weave of dynamic combat, lavish presentation, and engaging character and weapon customization. But for all the myriad improvements that make Mass Effect 2's visuals so appealing and its combat so exhilarating, it's ultimately the way it moves us that makes it so memorable. [Feb 2010, p.56]
    Despite all of the ways Mass Effect 2 is more engaging to play and explore, after 35 remarkable hours it was the characters that stayed with us… Game of the year in January? Oh, go on then. [Feb 2010, p.112]
  3. Both an astonishing RPG and confident shooter, Mass Effect 2 is daring, shocking and often awe-inspiring in its use of choice. This is the future of storytelling in videogames. [Issue#, p.85]