3.4

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Day 1 DLC. Prothean squadmate, on the disc. I don't care if it's not important to the main story. I don't care if you had a separate team working on it. You had it ready to be released alongside the game and on the disc itself. There is no excuse for this not being free for everyone. Shame on EA. Shame on Bioware. And shame on consumers for still blindly buying their crap and letting EA get away with it. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    To EA and Bioware (company that I adored for a decade now); you guys are pathetic capitalism whores. You are not true gamers! What you are now thinking? Ok, let's fool them again but next time we will not say them that we are making day one DLC, instead we will make DLC second week. I'm done with you guys, this is last game that I will buy from you!
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    Day 1 DLC containing a companion from the most mysterious race in the ME universe. That this wouldn't just be included in the game is horrible, and it's a practice that should not be encouraged.
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    this DLC is horrible and mass effect 3 too.I am disappointed BioWare
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    This content should have been on the disc, or at least freely available to everyone who purchased a new copy of the game. This was the case with the first story DLC for Mass Effect 2, in order to encourage players to buy a new copy of the game instead of a used one. But now EA goes a step further and charges money for the day 1 DLC. No one should buy this DLC, if only to discourage EA from such schemes. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Mass Effect 3, is in fact, DLC/Mass Effect 3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, DLC plus Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning DLC system made useful by the DLC corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the DLC system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of DLC which is widely used today is often called "Mass Effect 3", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the DLC system, developed by the DLC Project. There really is a Mass Effect 3, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Mass Effect 3 is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mass Effect 3 is normally used in combination with the DLC operating system: the whole system is basically DLC with Mass Effect 3 added, or DLC/Mass Effect 3. All the so-called "Mass Effect 3" distributions are really distributions of DLC/Mass Effect 3. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2012
    I'm going to try not to get into the day1dlc debate too much and try to review the actual product. First with the ugly concerning day1dlc: While it's true it already happened with me2 with zaeed, it was different because it was free for people who bought the game new. That's where it all started. The developers and publishers make no money off of used games so they make money where they can. It's not the most ideal situation, but it's understandable. What isn't however, is replacing free day1dlc with and online pass like fifa or nfs. Sure it's free for the people who dished out 20 extra bucks for the collector's edition, but that's hardly a way to congratulate your loyal fans... because (actual review part):
    This is by far the single worst dlc to ever come out for the mass effect series. Ive completed both games several times, including dlc, to the point of exhaustion and I have no reservation in saying bioware should be ashamed. The dlc itself lasts about 30 minutes and is essentially a fetch quest. Once you recruit the prothean, you can't speak to him on your ship (like Zaeed and Kasumi). This basically means bioware cared so little for the character they don't bother to give any form of progression whatsoever. Do not expect a Thane or a Legion. He is one of the most boring characters in the mass effect universe. He's a soldier so, of course, he has to be rude, condescending and just plain boring. They had so much potential to tap into the prothean culture but all that is wasted. If you had any questions regarding the prothean culture, don't worry, they won't be answered. Unless you consider half assed statements that raise more questions than anything to be answers. Combat wise, he's average. He's half soldier, half biotic. he has pull and slam and lift grenades. He's also got this power called dark channel that deals damage over time. He's not exceptional, he's not my first choice and I wouldn't recommend him to anyone playing on the harder difficulties because he lacks overload/warp etc. So all in all, really disappointing dlc, especially given how controversial it is. Do not go in expecting Lair of the Shadow Broker or Overlord. Mass Effect 2 DLCs are way more fun than this most of them only cost 560. Avoid at all costs unless you're an achievement whore. It brings nothing to the table and is a massive disappointment.
  8. Mar 15, 2012
    From Ashes is one of the worst examples of DLC in recent memory. An example of a game developer removing content from the main game in order to get you to pay extra the only thing your really "downloading" is the lackluster mission to wake the character. The truth is you already have him with your Mass Effect 3 purchase and it only takes editing one game file to get him.
  9. Mar 8, 2012
    Ah Day 1 DLC that was finished back in July. Pathetic excuses for it to not be on the disc, but more importantly its not a very good DLC. Maybe a 3-4 if it came out in three months, but the fact its also Day 1 pushes it to a zero.
  10. Mar 13, 2012
    The mission was pretty forgettable. Afterward, I found I wasn't that interested in the new character and never used him. Talking to him was distracting on account of his clearly terrestrial accent, though a few interesting tidbits of backstory about the Protheans did crop up. I suspect From the Ashes was, at least initially, planned as a standard part of ME3, and was later removed to be offered as DLC, but that's just conjecture on my part. Of course, ME3 isn't really worth playing anyway, so the value of this DLC is largely moot. Collapse
  11. Mar 9, 2012
    New sources confirm that at least most of this "DLC" was on the retail disc already. So basically, it's an extra $10 to unlock content that you've already paid for and already have installed. As consumers we just can't support this behaviour.
  12. Mar 11, 2012
    Exploitive day 1 DLC. Terrible pricing, terrible idea, made only to suck away your last dollar. Don't be a sucker and reward them for screwing over loyal fans.
  13. May 14, 2012
    Unlike what seems like almost *everyone* here rating the DLC based off of when it was released,(although it was an insulting move by itself, i'll admit) For the price you pay, the mission is painfully short, and Javik's lines of dialogue are hardly worth the money. While it was interesting to finally get a view of the protheans, I feel like they could have easily integrated Javik and his mission into the game and released ME3 without day-one DLC. A blatant attempt to take more of your money *after* you spent $60 dollars on a *full* game. If your interested in lore, the Mass Effect "wikia" is free. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2012
    I find that not having this on the game disk hinders my review. So I will give this DLC a big 0. That's how much it should be worth after pre-ordering and paying for a game. It is on the game disk. so in closing I would like to state that this is going to be my last Bioware game I am ever buying. I know you don't care but I had to take up 150 characters with something.
  15. Mar 16, 2012
    Day one DLC. What more can you say really? You can edit one line of code on the PC version and then you can use the squadmate. Essentially it's already on disc but this is EA we are talking about here. What more can you expect?
  16. Mar 11, 2012
    Day 1 DLC that had most of Jarvik's files already on disc, and voice files can be found in the demo.
    Despicable, bioware, shame on you. Cash grabs are what apparently funds EA like with the yearly madden and fifa, so why not make ME3 just like them with enough day 1 DLC that makes Trainworks look like it has no DLC.
  17. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought I threw this away, but it somehow got on my Live profile. I have tried to delete it several times. Anyway, the DLC is you get some eight-eyed guy to follow you around and act uppity. At one point he refers to black people as "lazy". HATED IT Expand
  18. Mar 17, 2012
    this dlc is required to get the most out of mass effect 3 from a story stand-point otherwise that's 1 more plot hole to add to the huge list of plot holes already in the base game. so that is an additional 10$ bioware is trying to force you to spend.. horrible.
  19. Mar 14, 2012
    Should have been in the game, as many of the conversations included are integral of it, whatever the EA/Bioware drones say. EA just removed it from the main game, most (all?) of it is even in the disk and can be unlocked touching a couple of files or using a crack.
  20. Apr 5, 2012
    The Prothean squadmate was on the disk of a a game I CONTRACTUALLY PURCHASED. I didn't get the content I CONTRACTUALLY PURCHASED. If I made a MISTAKE in understanding the terms...guess what...should be a VOIDABLE CONTRACT under law. I will never be purchasing from BioWare again...just dropping the zero this deserves.
  21. May 8, 2012
    Day 1 DLC. With content that is already on the disk. Enough said
  22. Apr 28, 2012
    finding a new teammate and gaining new history of the story was great! the 10 minutes it took to beat was very dissappointing considering the 10 dollar cost and the content both me1 and me2 put out i was expecting much much more for dlc content.
  23. Apr 25, 2013
    Day 1 DLC that is undermined by the asking price. It's a quick side mission with a new character. Unfortunately the added gameplay was a major letdown.
  24. May 18, 2012
    This should have came with the game. Not as exclusive preorder, or as part of a special edition, or unlock what is already on the disk with an online pass. This SHOULD have come with EVERY copy of the game. And that is all there is to say really. Very, VERY dissatisfied with EA's and BioWare's penny pinching, that I wont be paying for any more of your games in the future. I'm done with you!
  25. Jun 17, 2012
    Unbelievable, is this is a joke? I mean for real is this a joke? Nothing in this DLC was interesting, it wasn't captivating nor was it up to the standard DLC quality that was ever delivered. Its pure rip off.
  26. Apr 30, 2013
    Here's a hint: Are you an achievement whore like me? Yeah? Ok, go get this, and enjoy the single level of fighting and the new character who really offers little to the game. Are you a sensible non-ocd person who wants the most bang for your buck? Go spend your money elsewhere.
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    Would probably have rated this higher if not for the fact a Prothean squad mate should not have been day one dlc, i mean, come on they're saying however many years this was in production and no one had this idea until too late in production to add this to the main game. Worth getting if you're a big mass effect fan other wise it's not really worth it.
  28. Mar 13, 2012

1. Apr 17, 2012
    From Ashes offers interesting new lore for the fans, but little anything else. The only new mission is very short shooter, which hardly justifies the price. The new squadmate does have a lot of things to say during the gameplay, if you carry him with you to every mission. Still, From ashes is only worth getting if you really want to see everything Mass Effect universe has to offer. [Apr 2012]
  2. Mar 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 3: From Ashes is a missed chance from BioWare to create a DLC woth buying despite its cost. A mission way too short and poorly structured don't justify the price of what could have been a more complex and intricated piece of story and lore.
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    The mission to defreeze Javik is short, and you can beat it easily within about half an hour. If you're looking for a chunk of content as substantial as Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker you'll probably come away disappointed, and Javik doesn't really dramatically affect anything about the Mass Effect 3 campaign.