6.6

1. Sep 8, 2013
    The gameplay might the not be the strongest in this DLC pack, but story wise it is probably the strongest DLC released in the Mass Effect series. Definitely worth a play-through, if you ask me.
  2. Mar 9, 2013
    Leviathan is one of these DLCs that have something great going for them, but are ruined by tying it into something pretty bad.

The content starts with you receiving an email about finding something that could possibly end the war. The first problem comes from here: we already know that whatever we find won't stop the Reapers, as this is DLC. You then have to track down Leviathan through
    1-2 hours of gameplay in varied locations. It's pretty fun. But then the ending happens, and it ties it to the ending to Mass Effect 3. This is great foreshadowing for people that bought the DLC and have not yet reached that point, but to everyone else, it's sadly not enough. Expand
  3. Dec 11, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this DLC. Adding some wonderful new settings and deepening the back story to Mass Effect 3's story. I really liked the twist at the end of the mission, one of the best (non-ending) cutscenes in the series. If I had to say something negative, it would be regarding it's length and lack of challenging combat. It could have been longer, and it could have tried to add something new to the combat. I would highly recommend playing Mass Effect 3 through at least once before playing Leviathan, as it does spoil a few of the main game's ending twists. To be honest the DLC, as a whole, feels like it should have been a part of the Extended cut DLC and a bit out of place in the main narrative.

But overall, this is a great DLC that is worthy of purchase. But be warned: This is more story based DLC than gameplay based DLC.
  4. Dec 3, 2012
    What is wrong with you people? Mass Effect (1, 2 & yes, 3) is one of the greatest games/sci-fi series ever! I'm wondering if those who continue to repeat the "ending sucks" mantra have actually played through with the extended cut. The EC answers all your questions...yes, for those of you to challenged to figure it out before. Levithan is a great little addition to the overall game and I enjoyed it very much. The battles were good and the end scenes were awesome. All of the whiners need to get over it... Expand
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    First of all, this review is only about the Leviathan DLC, and does not address how the main game does or does not make use of its content. That said, Leviathan marks the return to fine plot construction, storytelling, and intrigue that were hallmarks of the Mass Effect series. The storyline is engaging and compelling, action well-designed. But perhaps the best part of the pack is that it ties off one of the major loose ends of the entire series, one that we, its fans, were waiting to hear in ME3 and were so disappointed didn't happen. Leviathan explains the origins -- the cycles, the Reapers, all of it. That's all I'll say on the matter (and that's already in the trade publications), but I will say that the writing and creative content of this installment are fully worthy of the Mass Effect mantle. And, combined with the Extended Cut DLC, it does help provide better closure and a more complete story. No matter which way you slice it, Leviathan is quite possibly one of the best Mass Effect DLCs in a long, long time. Expand
  6. Sep 8, 2012
    this DLC answers pretty much ALL of the questions, and most of the rants here are about not changing the ending, I find that incredibly irritating, not because the ending is bad, the DLC is bad! the gameplay is solid and it may be a bit too short, but when you find Leviathan EVERYTHING is answered.
  7. Sep 8, 2012
    Leviathan is a great addition to Mass Effect 3, providing a welcome return to quality after the whole ending fiasco. The DLC is very different from the rest of the main game, often feeling creepy and unsettling thanks to the excellent soundtrack and mysterious locations. A handful of interrupts, plenty of humour and the excellent (mostly) dialogue and voice acting help to make the already interesting storyline even more compelling. New mods, guns, a souvenir for your cabin interesting lore additions and a new power help to round off the whole package. However, points off for a number of issues. The almost boring second mission feels like a glorified multi-player match with almost nothing but combat to accompany it. Backtracking to the new area on the Citadel may begin to irritate some players (though the often hilarious dialogue there helps), and some moronic lines from Shepard regarding indoctrination make him look like a complete idiot. Otherwise this is a great add on with brilliant story telling that also helps to refine some of the endings messed up logic. Highly recommended. Expand
  8. Sep 4, 2012
    This adds nothing to the story, a tiny bit of lore for anyone who goes that deep into the Mass Effect Universe. I guess it would just barely be worth 500 points. I mean for 10 dollars it is not worth it all. Just not enough content to cost 10 bucks, I mean for 5 more dollars u can go get a used copy of Shadow of the Damned or you could get Dust. I mean Leviathan is fun, very short but fun if you liked ME3 you will like this just be warned it does not alter the bad ending of the game in anyway Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2012
    This overpriced DLC does not contain enough gameplay to justify the price, and the story does nothing to rectify Mass Effect 3's worst-ever-for-a-game ending. Everything you do in this DLC is made meaningless at the end anyway; why waste your cash?
  10. Sep 2, 2012
    A great Story DLC, which I enjoyed every second i played it.
    Note: play the End again after completing the Missions - a new dialog option is available at the starchild - nothing big but nice
  11. Sep 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Leviathan came close to Dragon Age II's Mark of the Assassin DLC for how much it annoyed me. I can at least say the gameplay is solid if only because it's the same stuff from the main game. There's an escort mission, yes, but the actual escorting is peripheral at best. What annoyed me most about this DLC was that it actually contradicted itself, Mass Effect lore, scientific fact and even common sense. In no specific order follows a list of points where this DLC failed regarding the above:

- Dr Bryson's lab has a piece of Sovereign there. But it's okay because apparently you can shield against indoctrination now, which up until Leviathian has never been mentioned as being possible. That would have come in real handy in ME 2 onboard the Derelict Reaper and plenty of other times but I guess Cerberus didn't have the necessary hand waving technology at the time.
    - Visiting the mining base, Shepard and his/her team don't immediately recognise all of the staff are under Leviathan's control given how they're not only acting odd, they're acting almost exactly like Bryson's assistant did when he was under control. Guess they left all their savvy back on the Normandy.
    - Leviathan's artifacts can quantum entangle with people's brains on the fly. Relativistic effects not affecting quantum communication I'm fine with, but this is just scientific nonsense. - Leviathan and his fellows can mentally manipulate people at a close distance. How exactly? We got a full fledged explanation with the Thorian in ME 1 and psychic ability has never been in the series before, but I guess the writers decided to hell with it and gave Leviathan psychic powers just because.
    - Leviathan can control Reaper forces. Nevermind that it didn't control all of the Reapers on the wrecked ship (instead only controlling one Brute because cutscenes can't be exciting if they don't have action), it can also control actual Reapers. Yet somehow he and his species lost the war with the Reapers? Guess they were asleep. Or just plain stupid.
    - Leviathan's lengthy exposition dumps of how the Reapers came about, after having seen the Extended Cut, come across as Bioware saying "Oh, you didn't get our ending first time round? Well here, we're going to explain it again even after the Extended Cut in case you didn't get it." That it was all delivered by Leviathan masquerading in Shepard's mind as people from his/her memories and yet they only used characters introduced in the DLC itself was rather disappointing. They should have had it switch to members of the crew as well.
    - The Reapers followed Shepard and the Normandy to Leviathan's planet. Did Joker forget to turn the stealth drive on when he was travelling there?
    - Ann Bryson tells us a lot about her complicated relationship with her father. Too bad it was never shown to us in great detail. - The depth meter in the mech is broken, at least as far as I noticed. The numeric gauge will be 1000m lower than the dial indicates. Cute.
    - There are only two Paragon/Renegade interrupts, and no Paragon/Renegade dialogue options in the entire DLC. So much for the role playing aspect.
    - The DLC itself clocked in at around 2 and a half hours, which I felt was disappointing, although this is a minor complaint for me compared to the points I noted above.

This is all I can think of at the moment, but to sum up Leviathan's gameplay was fine, and I liked the underwater sequence, brief as it was. But I could not believe how poor the writing of this story was, especially given the immense potential behind the revelation that a few of the makers of the Reapers are still alive. A similar story arc was done for DLC for this very same game in From Ashes, and done much better there, which perplexes me even more. All in all, very disappointing.
  12. Aug 31, 2012
    Like most DLC for games I usually have the same issue. It's not as interesting as the main game and it isn't long enough to justify for the price. Leviathan starts off great but doesn't lead towards anything epic. It's three missions long and not much happens. That said, I still had fun with it. I say to wait for when it's on sale.
  13. Aug 30, 2012
    This is fantastic dlc, equal to lair of the shadow broker. Its missions are extremely fun and are a fresh take on the mass effect formula and the story is great as well. For those who love Mass Effect this is a must have.
  14. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Answers, precious answers. Leviathan addresses the gaps in the history of the Mass Effect Universe that the core fans have been pulling their hair out over. Namely, how did this begin. In so ways it gives more than From Ashes and in one way, it gives less. Specifically, there is no new squad member available at the end of this chain of events. There are however, new weapon mods, new weapons, a new ability, and a trophy for you Captain's cabin. But those things aren't what most are looking for. The gameplay and the story are rewarding. As for as the plot, it's tight, coherent, and rewarding. The adventure is only about 3 hours depending how involved you want to get. There are pieces of lore scattered in datapads that are well thought out. In typical Bioware fashion (Jessica Chobot not included) the voice acting is superb. While it doesn't quite have the same gravitas as Lair of the Shadow Broker, it's still an excellent addition and worth downloading. What I still remain curious about is whether this chain of events plus those still to come will expand upon the end came choices instead of just adding perspective. Expand
  15. Aug 29, 2012
    A great addition to the Mass Effect lore books and a compelling little romp mixing exploration and combat. Leviathan is rather short however, and may spoil some of the ending for any of those yet to complete the Mass Effect 3 storyline. Mass Effect fans will love it.
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    Leviathan is a much-needed addition to Mass Effect 3, and offers more than enough new content to merit the ten dollar pricetag. Squadmates finally interact during the scenes of the DLC and are no longer mute, and another aspect of the lore of Mass Effect re: Reapers and the origins of the Catalyst is revealed. There's tons of variety in terms of the enemies you will be fighting, and a few of the levels are especially impressive - that's right, *levels*. While I don't like the change in reference to the purpose of the Reapers that ME3 gave us, Leviathan does more than enough to add context and make this unfortunate change tolerable. It unfortunately doesn't change the ending significantly, which may make it seem worthless to those still scarred by that abysmal climax, but it is entertaining otherwise and adds a hefty amount to your War Asset total. Glass half-full anyone? Expand
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    Good game, cool new lore and some creepy new worlds. This does not change the ending to Mass effect 3 but it does give you some closure and much needed explanation.

The gameplay is fun and full of hire level monsters, music is good and new worlds are like I said, lovely.

The only Con is: does not change the ending but all and all it is a great addition to a great game!
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    An attempt to explain something better left off mysterious, containing poorly thought out escort fights,. Leviathan should be left sitting at the bottom of the deep.
  19. Aug 28, 2012
    This is a thoroughly enjoyable DLC, Mass Effect fans will not be disappointed, you get a few hours of a good quality storyline which fits in perfectly with Shepard and crew's main quest. It has a decent new character and a fascinating location towards the end of the DLC, plenty to keep fans interested. The only let down of this DLC is the lack of a big boss battle to finish it all, I expected a bit more on that front, it's an easy DLC for high levels and upgraded weaponry. Expand
  20. Sep 3, 2012

1. Oct 22, 2012
    At this point, 800 MS Points ($10) for Leviathan seems just about right if you liked Mass Effect 3 and want some of the lore explained at greater depth even if some of the fights are a little frustrating.
  2. Oct 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3: Leviathan has some interesting lore for Mass Effect buffs, too bad most of it was already revealed in the Extended Cut DLC. The combination of detective work and action is fun none the less. It doesn't come close to the greatness of ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, but it's still worth the price. [Sept 2012]
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    If you are still mad about the way the game ended, the Leviathan DLC probably isn't for you.