5.7

1. Mar 15, 2012
    Where do I begin? As a big fan of Mass Effect, seeing this game and what it has become from the masterpiece of the original is saddening. BioWare and their EA Overlords first had day one dlc that they claimed was made after the fact but it has been emperically proven that the character is on the disk and can/could be unlocked simply by moving coding around. It was a lie. Emperically demonstrated, yet for some unknown reason the 'objective' gaming media pays it no credence...in fact...they have the audacity to tell us to stop complaining. More on that in a bit. When I purchase something and enter into a legal contract, i expect full content for what I paid for. First and foremost. The gameplay itself is a complete transformation into Gears of War, and as an rpg fan who does not like shooters, cause if I did I'd play them, its frustrating seeing that genre completely destroy gameplay in Mass Effect 3. Didn't that genre have enough sci-fi games? Exploration is non-existent, level design is linear and uninspired, although variety in theme setting is good. But its point A to point B, all of the time. Or hold a certain position while getting swarmed by wave after wave of enemies. Which is ok as a part of gameplay, but without open exploration to counteract and balance this it soon becomes an extreme bore. Biotics are good, particularly the sound of Singularity when it dissapates, but overall shooting non-stop at baddies is super boring. Weapon upgrades and modifications are much welcomed, yet far too simplistic to truly appeal to the vast amount of gamers who like the customization of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a robust and epic rpg that sold amazingly well. The loot system is an absolute joke and an insult...most loot is lying right where you can see it in the middle of the floor or highlighted across the room so you'd be a moron if you couldn't find it. As a result, finding items is way too easy, yet it is surprisingly and frustratingly hard to keep track of what you got because there is zero inventory. Zero. And its ridiculous. Sure, the Normandy stores that info, but I'm only on the Normandy half the time, if that. The loot system is a complete insult to rpg vets. Technical issues abound, and while some can be overlooked as natural flaws, some are inexcusable. Face importing didn't work (or was intentionally neglected), faces vanished completely from cutscenes for the entire cutscene, and at times lip syncing was off completely. But where this game falls on its face, and this is contributed a lot to the departure of the Mass Effect IP's true writing talent, Drew Karpyshyn, was the writing. To appeal to the masses, Mass Effect's writing is dumbed down considerably, witholding player dialogue options from scenes, auto-dialogue from Commander Shepard much more prevalent, and eye-roll worthy 'dudebro' one liners that made me feel like Shepard evolved into Keeanu Reeves. The plot had some interesting aspects and there were some emotional scenes and nice touches sprinkled in that triggered emotion, but as a whole the plot is incoherent, poorly written and not enough focus or dialogue is given to the main antagonist. Too much tried to be done at once, and it made for a sloppy mess. The ending....honestly....may have been one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever seen, let alone in science fiction. For a video game, if you never played Mass Effect, you might like it. But for an intelligent individual who knows what Mass Effect is and knows a good ending (Mass Effect 2's ending literally being perfect), this one was wo bad that you want to grasp at anything you can in your mind to justify its drivel. It's that bad. And I understand the attempt...just....no. It was horrendous.

Let's not forget the lack of choices affecting anything, either. You will throughout the game wee choices you made, major ones, in previous games mean absolutely nothing as you see the canon version streamlined back in, with weak writing supporting the negation of your choice. It's a slap in the face, and a lie told by the developer. Also, none of your choices mean anything whatsoever. In the end, Mass Effect 3 was a downright bad and disappointing game, crippling the entire franchise with it because of its failure if epic proportions in the climax and writing, boring, repetitive gameplay, lack of polish and the lies told by the developer to fans everywhere. And gaming media...supply and demand is a two way street....customers can say what they want, how they want,when they want. Do an article how developers aren't entitled to customer money.

Avoid this game at all costs. Do not buy, you WILL regret it. Garaunteed.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    In a race, a runner may have an extraordinary performance, may lead all the way, but still lose in the end if he/she falls or abandon before the finish line. That's what happened with ME3. Despite all the good stuff for most of this third installment in the story, there was a major failure to deliver in the end and this made all that preceded null and void, for naught, a complete ruin. The choices presented to Shepard were nonsensical and there was merely cosmetic differences between the possible endings. What most fans expected were vastly different endings from the very bad (where the reapers win and kill all) to the very good (where Shepard and his/her crew survive and have a huge party), depending on choices made in the preceding episodes and earlier part of ME3. What a total disappointment! What we got served was a uniformly bad ending with a choice of sauce. Sorry Bioware, but despite nice graphics and some very good action, you don't deserve more than 4 mainly for your failure to deliver in the end. Expand
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    This series has changed my ability to become completely immersed in a video game. this game delivered many things on game play. The combat was fun and over all mission game play was fun, however; the "scanning" type missions where quite unfun, they could have absolutely improved that. If it where not for the ending, I would of rated this 9 or 9.5/10.

Every thing that you have herd about
    the ending is true, it is disappointing at best. The terrible-ness of the ending overshadowed this game and almost made the 100 or so hours I have put into the series. I wont get into details for the sake of spoilers, but I will say that the ending has absolutely no closure, it is a half-ass job and has no sense of originality or personalisation (which was a very bad time to take that aspect out of the series). 1/10 Expand
  4. AGX
    Mar 22, 2012
    Agree with a lot of people on this game. Pretty epic, yer seemingly lacking the content and depth of the previous games in the series. What really got me upset was the rush job of an ending though. For all the decisions you made throughout the series, and the numerous endings that BioWare had promised and used as a selling point, when they promised these uncountable heap of ending they were blatantly lying which really upset me. They also won't own up to there lies either, and deflect constructive criticism. This game was overall a disappoint to me, and I won't trust BioWare as I used to until I read a numerous amount of user reviews. No BS critic reviews that paid off critics write.

Buyer beware. Enjoy the first two games, and somewhat enjoy the Mass Effect 3 storyline, but hold off on completing the game until we are promised a legitimate ending.
  5. Mar 10, 2012
    I have a lot of issues with this game, but these are my biggest issues:

1. Multiplayer is broken. If you don't have FiOS and live at most a few blocks from Bioware's datacenter, you WILL get disconnected from games, *EXTREMELY FREQUENTLY*. If you're lucky, you can finish 1 out of 10 games. If you think your connection is good enough for online gaming, and can play hundreds of other games
    with zero difficulties whatsoever, think again: this game will absolutely destroy your connection. This is a MASSIVE disappointment coming from such a rich company.

2. The endings are horrid. Never in my 20 years of PC gaming have I seen a game build up so well, but die out with a putter like that. It made the whole experience sour for me.

My advise is that if you haven't finished the game yet, but have started, stop now -- don't finish it. And don't play multiplayer. If you avoid these two aspects of the game, you will continue to have faith in the Mass Effect franchise, and will hope for some kind of future game in the Mass Effect universe that isn't such an unmitigated failure.
  6. Mar 12, 2012
    The only hint people need is NOT to buy the game. Only way you will get Bioware to take notice of all the crap that is wrong with their series..creatively and technically. Ending terrible..Engine framerate terrible on PS3. No excuse for these companies anymore..its the greedy people at the top of the food chain taking advantage of the consumer by cutting back talented people. Heck I even loved the terminator boss in ME2..what happened to that? Gamers, consumers, unite and stay clear of anything Bioware puts out in the future.

Save your money and buy the art book instead. It will be worth something down the road..more then this game ever will be. Only praise goes to the artists who did a magnificent job in creating the universe..hell even Bioware didn't credit them in the book.
  7. Sep 9, 2012
    I score reviews based on how I feel about the game after finishing it, and it is very, very difficult to see past the terrible ending, multiple plot holes, and the utterly stupid "big reveal" of the Reaper's motives in Mass Effect 3. The ending, coupled with the Day 1 DLC (which is wrong no matter how you spin it) really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The way it's presented makes no sense whatsoever and runs completely counter to the idea that your choices throughout the game matter. The ME series spans 5+ years of generally excellent media, and for it to end in a three way deus ex machina like it did is just mind blowing. It sucks saying that, because the 90% of the game leading up to the end is really, really good, even if it played more like a 'best of' compilation than a completely new game. A quick note about the multiplayer: it's *kind of* good, but in other ways it's really, really bad. Gameplay wise it's a fun (if overpowered), Halo-esque shooter, but the community is beyond terrible, kicking players who are just starting out or have a low N7 score, and verbally berating those who either do too well or too poorly. Also, based on what happened to Mercenaries 2 when EA shut down it's servers, I have little hope for the future of ME3. Expand
  8. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved Mass Effect 1&2, but it ends there. Mass Effect 3 has got to be the biggest letdown in video game history. This game is nothing like the first 2. It's actually pretty straight forward, zero to no exploration, the mini games are gone & forming a space crew has gotten stale. The only thing this game has is great graphics, other than that it's garbage. BORING.
  9. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first I was wondering why the game had such a bad fan review, the game was amazing, I did not care that there was day 1 DLC the combat system was an improvement over mass effect 2, there were more guns to chose from and the graphics were improved. then I got to the last 5 minutes of the game and I find out they did a copy of Deus Ex's ending where all the choices you chose in mass effect 1, 2 and 3 did not matter at all. thank you bioware for wasting 60+ hours of my life and making me spend over $200 on this trilogy that i cant play anymore now that I know the game ends so poorly. If bioware puts a patch that fixes the awful endings (like bethisda did for fallout 3) I would give this game a 10/10.

-GAMEPLAY 10/10
    -GRAPHICS 9/10 (a bit to dark at some points)
    -STORY(other than ending) 8/10 (would have been a 10/10 if they gave you more chat options like in previous mass effect games)
    -ONLINE 7/10 (it was ok and it came with a story the same length of other mass effects so it can be ignored)
    -ENDING 0/10 (wtf was bioware thinking? this also removes any chances of a new trilogy after this because the mass relays are destroyed.)
  10. Mar 10, 2012
    I really didn't like this game. I don't know what else to say. The writing was mediocre at best, the gameplay was worse the first two, and it was generally bad.
  11. Mar 9, 2012
    I was looking forward to Mass effect 3.
    On steam. Since i don't fancy installing the Origin spyware (One that scans your pc to find out all the other games you are using, then adds them to your origin account to stop you using steam?) I Shall not bother.
    As soon as people close their wallets to a company like EA that pumps out DRM after DRM after DRM and RUINS series, the world will be a
    better place.
    R.I.P Command and Conquer
    R.I.P Mass Effect

Oh and do you remember classics such as Theme Hospital? Dungeon Keeper? EA killed off Bullfrog entertainment, Westwood studios, Maxis. I wonder what games we would have seen from them now if they hadn't been gulped up?
  12. Mar 9, 2012
    Game opens with a showstopper bug. It has to get a zero for now. If you have played Mass Effect 1 and 2, you will be shocked when, upon waiting for over two years for the finale, you load it up and the first thing it tells you is it can't import your main character's face. Continuity with the main character's storyline and appearance naturally was a main selling point of the series. While zero may be a low score, it represents its current unplayability. It's like the third chapter in a movie where the lead actor has been replaced by an unknown. There is no way this wasn't known at Bioware/EA. It was suppressed. They lied to their customers point blank about a major whopper of a defective feature. Apparently, I've heard they're blocking people who call attention to the issue on their Facebook. Anyone sick of corporate fraud with no accountability should understand why having this arrive and be unplayable requires a zero rating. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2012
    Welcome to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys which know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women responsible for the romances which probably is a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came up with the "awesome button". And there is probably one EA suit dude who is never without his statistics why call of duty is so successful and who spams his opinion in every meeting that more explosions are needed. And with those 3 responsible for game design, ME3 is what we got. Lots and lots of gay romances, just as much explosions, and the evolution of the "awesome button", the "awesome does all button"! And it really is awesome when you try to run away and instead take cover with your back exposed to the enemy! Yet just like with DA2, the most "awesome" button is the one which removes this **** from your hdd! Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my first and last review of a game on this site, but I felt that this needed to be said.
    I have been a Mass Effect fan since the beginning. The story roped me in and I was hooked since the first game. It was innovative and creative, and it showed a growing maturity to gaming. ME2 came out and added in TPS elements, and I am not the type of person that really cares about adding in TPS elements into a game. I have been a TPS person for a long time. ME2 was incredible and extended the story with great depth and big impact for your choices during it. This game has ruined Bioware for me. The dialogue was ok and the fighting was great but, I agree with so many others that say that all of your choices don't matter. When I saw the ending, that is a rip-off of Deus Ex, the controller dropped out of my hand. I couldn't believe that this game, that was supposed to care about every one of my decisions, came down to what flavor of Listerine I wanted to shovel out into the galaxy. The ending was ridiculously simplistic. It has no depth other than being gothy cool. Trust us, Bioware, we have grown up and know that gothy cool is a bunch of crap. You need to grow up and get away from your teenage angst. This series hinged on the ending, and that ending should have had at least an epilogue for each of the living characters. I would have settled for text if you are too cheap for cut scenes. Instead we got Joker taking what is left of the crew to Eden or whatever. Shepard dies in all but 2 endings, and his LI is not even mentioned. Maybe I'm getting old, but for a game that makes you care about characters, it doesn't. It makes you make one of three horrific decisions, and hurt almost everyone in the process. That is not being grown up, that is being sadistic. We invested time, it requires tons of effort and a 40 hour work week to get this thing done properly. We have all given hundreds of hours preparing our Shepards for ME3. This is all we get, this isn't innovative, this is lazy and immature. This is like a college kid doing a ton of research, and then putting together his final paper the day it is due and doing a sloppy job. The professor isn't going to give you an "A" for what you did earlier in your research, they are going to give you an "F" for screwing up your paper. It is so sad that a series with so much potential is squandered at the last moment. By the way, we got the politics that you are constantly shoving down our throats during the entire game. It was not subtle, it was unnecessary. I'm giving this a zero because of plagiarism of Deus Ex ending, on top of the cruel way you treated your customers. If you are a fan of ME and played the other two, don't bother with this one, it isn't worth the money.
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    This game is such a massive disappointment. It was not worth the wait. Animations are still clunky. Humans still look horrible. Lazy usage of stock images. Forced drama at every turn. Why bother? Don't buy this game.
  16. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ugh, where to begin.
    day 1 dlc with its 2012 and it looks like a launch title for the 360
    characters are extremely one dimensional, and never show any sign of development
    all choice in the game was between red or blue text in a convo
    well at least the series is over, and they can't hype it up more. although I'm sure they will find a way to milk this IP for years to come.
  17. Mar 8, 2012
    Here we go again Bioware. In an attempt to appeal to the masses you alienate the base. Brushing aside my problems with character loads, glicthces, game play and lackluster story development, you decide to go the way of political correctness and interject as much Homo mumbo jumbo into it as possible to appeal to a niche audience. Simply ridiculous that the gaming industry (long immune to this type of BS) have finally decided to sell out. This is the last dollar you get from me. Expand
  18. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget most of the things that made the first game great and the second game decent. Gone is the excellent interaction with your squad (but you can improve it if you spend $200 on a Kinect!). The Tali reveal is just a photo on your desk, not an in-game character graphic showing her face. Instead of going with what made the series great, they're trying to catch the players who love first-person shooter multiplayer games, quick cash grabs with pay-for content on the release date, etc. Hey maybe they'll release some interaction with Tali without her suit if only you spend some extra $$$.

I honestly don't know how Bioware became so disconnected from what has made their games great for the last 15 years. I've purchased and played almost every game that they've published: Baldur's Gate (1 and 2, plus expansions), Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2, and expansions), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age (1 and 2, plus expansions), Mass Effect (1 and 2, plus expansions).

I'm not saying they don't deserve to make money, but can they really be so clueless as to not realize how their longtime fans would react to pay-to-play content available on the release date of the game?! Releasing that content for free would have been the equivalent of free positive advertising, instead of the negativity that it did generate. Unless they remember what made their games great, and realize that making great games, first and foremost, will lead to great sales, I probably won't be playing any more of their games.
  19. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like many of you I was a big fan of the mass effect series. I always looked forward to each new game, and ME3 was no different. To me, this is one of the most emotionally involving series I've played. Bio-ware certainly seemed to be on a role, allowing us to tailor commander shepherd into who we wanted him to be. Then, when all seems to be going well, you think "yes I've finally made it to the end, lets see what this effort has been worth." I'm left with two main options and a third depending on what i have done, all of which ultimately ends up with the demise of this character I've become so invested in. Some may call this good storytelling ,but is all that build up necessary just for a complete let down? All I, and from what I've seen over the web, many others wanted was a satisfying conclusion to the series. This is not the case...I just feel almost as if this story has been pointless, all that just to realize (with the option i chose) I've kicked everyone back to the stone age (Plus all those races landlocked on earth,unable to return to their own worlds with the loss of the relays). A happier ending would have brought more thorough closure to what good have been a great finale. Expand
  20. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the game and there are many emotional parts to the story but the ending is not one of them.

It broke the game's reality so bad which is why the score is tentatively set to 0.

The big bad's logic works like this (You must choose between Red, Green, Blue options that I have setup for you)

Their whole reason to kill all organics and "uplift them" is to prevent organics from making synthetic life that wipes out organics. (Logical failure is that by uplifting the organics they are making them into synthetic lifeforms that go about every cycle killing all the organics...)

There is also a lot of space magic where the mass effect itself apparently can rewrite dna to be cyborg, needed to give reapers instructions, hyper selective anti-tech disintegration
  21. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 endings were like eating a beautifully decorated and tasty 3 layer cake and finding a big fat **** in the last bite. Seriously this ruined any replay value for me. Expand
  22. Mar 12, 2012
    Story, Characters, plot elements, cut scenes..all uninspiring. Combat even on hardcore settings is lack luster. Graphics are not that much improved over Mass Effect 2. Despite that, I loved the game, right up until the end. The very things that made me give most of the game a pass as I played through it, the time I'd invested in Sheapard, my love of the other charactors, my fealing of consequences for my actions; were all thrown away at the end. There are people that hate the ending for what it reveals about the reapers, and what "choices" You get to make. But even putting that asside, the feal is off, the quick ending cenimatics are hollow quick...impart no real informations. The game ends but I'm not sure what actualy happened, or if I even care anymore. Mass Effect 3, poorly exectued and contrived, First Day DLC: unforgivable..and Here is a Spoiler for you, They flash a little datapad up on the screen that says keep playing and spending your money buying are DLC's..excuse me? You leave me fealing robbed, then tell me not to worry because you'll be back for more money later?
    Mass effect..you're dead to me, such a loss :-/
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The capstone ot the Mass Effect trilogy does not end with a bang, but rather a whimper. You chase the impossible, beating every enemy in your path, you save (or condemn) entire civilizations, but in the end none of it matters. With a beam of light (you choose the color) the galaxy dies, the saga ends and your every hope comes to naught. Save the Geth, kill the krogan, renegade or Paragon, you will see the same choices as any other permutation of Shepard. What happens after the finale is anyone's guess as the game ends with a subtle command to "Buy the DLC!". There is no closure, there is only shiny lights and a ghostly child. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    I realize giving this game a 0 may seem overly harsh, and yes, normally I would agree that any game that is playable deserves above this score. However I feel Mass Effect 3 deserves this because the game seems to have been designed with the goal of setting up incredible possibility with great gameplay, realization of plot arcs from ME1 and 2, and excellent story telling, only to self destruct. The ending of the game destroys any gamer with emotional involvement in the game, by giving them a whitewashed, uniform ending that it is GUARANTEED every other player got. Bioware made you believe that you were something special, only to strip it away and laugh as you were wondering what just happened. This game gets a 0, because it is the ONLY game I've ever played to destroy the re playability of other games for me. I'm not going to be able to touch Mass effect 1 or 2 again since I now know that whatever I do, it doesn't matter at all. Expand
  25. Mar 12, 2012
    Such a waste of a good series. This game is just simply terrible. Sprites and stock photos in a AAA game? Thats unforgivable. however the nail in the coffin for me was the fact that none of your choices matter at all. Massive disappointment.
  26. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is the most disappointing thing since Dragon Age 2. THe ending feels like a kick in the teeth to somebody who has loved this game series from the beginning.
  27. Mar 16, 2012
    Breaks cannon, massive plot holes, incomplete game. While this is the final chapter in one of my most cherished series, there is very little that remains after a botched ending that can be considered good.
  28. Mar 12, 2012
    A) This game is fantastic and a lot of fun to play.
    B) The entire experience is ruined by that fact that you cannot import your character from previous games.

If an entire trilogy is predicated on carrying a custom character across all games in the series, it's both laughable and offensive to fans that the third game would not permit that same custom face to be brought forward. Yes,
    it's possible to recreate your custom face using the editor. No, it's not fun and a major strike against BioWare quality assurance. Expand
  29. Mar 12, 2012
    Well all the hopes i had for the 3rd game, after the dissapointment of the second, were for nothing. Instead of going back to what made the first game in the series great, Bioware created an even more dumbed down version of the game in an attempt to wow the masses. Cutscene, Cutscene, Cutscene, dull combat, rinse and repeat. Add to that a co-op mode that you are almost forced to play if you want the "best" possible ending in the single player and it's clear that Bioware just wants to keep copies out of the second hand market. This game has gone down the path of Dragon Age. a great concept, but a bad implementation. Expand
  30. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have loved the Mass Effect Series from day one. The first Mass Effect was a masterpiece. The second one built even more on to that solid frame. Mass Effect 3 was just a step back in the series. The gameplay was fun and I did enjoy the interactions with former and current squad members (R.I.P Mordin and Thane). This game however just ruined the entire with its ending. The first reason is that your decisions over the entire series means nothing in the end. It all boils down to three choices. After all that hard work I put into the entire series I felt like it didn't matter. Next the ending makes no damn sense. It so far out there I felt blind sided. As a Mass Effect fan I feel betrayed by Bioware for making this game and honestly I think EA is what ruined it. EA has ruined the Mass Effect series and they are ruining the gaming industry as a whole. EA and Bioware owes everyone who bought this game an apology. Expand
  31. Mar 8, 2012
    ME3 killed the franchise. The plot is linear and it lacks of depth. Decisions you made in ME1 and ME2 do not influence any story structure of ME3. The only outcome of those decision is the boring "readiness" value. Totally disappointing ending and epilogue. Why the reaper keep the extinction cycle? Most puzzle are not answered in ME3. The Crucible? It's totally a story disaster, which killed the atomsphere of the whole plot. Expand
  32. Mar 8, 2012
    Good combat, much more tactical than in previous titles and of course multi-player. And very bad narrative. The main rule of story-writing is obvious - the more the better. It resulted an enormous amount the cutscenes, most with badly written and boring dialogs. The shortcuts in dialog system imply better quality of writing. Unfortunately, Bioware has failed this as there is hardly a handful of cutscenes which are able to make an impression on the player. It more looks like space soap opera, than AAA-movie. Expand
  33. Mar 8, 2012
    I really like the campaign setting of the world, and first and second part, I took great pleasure. But the third part ... it's a nightmare.
    The second part was good, even if it had some flaws. They were small and inconspicuous. Here they just did catch the eye.
    Shepard. The hero, twice saved the galaxy, put ashore. What the hell? As the Alliance could write off the hero of the galaxy,
    and perhaps the spectrum at the beach? But okay, the plot error. But the animation is running, oh, I do not want to see ...

That boy, burn him in hell. Yes, he died. It is sad. BUT WHY THEY CURSE OF NIGHTMARES! I am extremely furious when Shepard was walking slowly on the forest. Just do not Mass Effect, and The Path.

An incredible stubbornness of quarians. No matter what the galaxy is almost captured the reapers, WE WREST HOMEWORLD URA-A-AA COMRADES!

And, of course, the ending. It's just terrible. Damn you, writers Bioware! Boy catalyst, oh, that was invented. You have killed the game. You burn in hell.
  34. Mar 8, 2012
    This game is a DISGRACE to the Mass Effect series and Bioware are a DISGRACE of a developer. They have totally ripped the RPG elements out of this game to make it a FLASHY BANG shooter for the ignorant mainstream and have betrayed their loyal fanbase. The dialogue with squad members all gets the Kasumi/Zaeed treatment which is a DISGRACE to RPG fans. All this series is now is a mediocre third person shooter without ANY of the RPG elements that made this series successful. I absolutely hate Bioware now and will be boycotting them from now on. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. The 'professional' critics have been bribed to give this game high scores. IT IS A DISGRACE TO RPG's. Expand
  35. Mar 8, 2012
    I use to be a fan of the series. Then i took a arrow in the knee... In all seriousness this series was my favorite for awhile (next to the elderscrolls) And I like most people believed the hyped. I got the day 1 release but then something dawned on me while i was playing it. This is no longer an RPG space opera... This is a 3rd person cover based shooter much like gears of war (although a lot crappier). Now don't get me wrong i love gears but this isn't gears this was mass effect... Allow me to quote the back of the game cover. "If you're not a fan now's the time to start." Mass appeal ruined this trilogy. If your into shallow choices that mean nothing and really like playing a crappy cover based shooter then this is your game. *SPOILER* The ending (all of them) SUCK Expand
  36. Mar 8, 2012
    I don't think the game really did anything special to begin with. The space opera story is here yet again with an uninteresting plot and dull characters. I don't see any appeal in saving the galaxy in a poor made game with dialogues that are too dumb and unfunny and with lack of anything interesting going on. It's like watching a crappy movie at 4 a.m. and not giving a s*** about what's going on! Action is subpar and, you know, there is just nothing that could save this crappy game from being a total disaster. Expand
  37. Mar 9, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this game is playable and I'm sure if you had no standards or simply didn't care you could pick up this game and have a midly enjoyable experience. BUT the atrocities EA and Bioware committed mean I cannot give this game a decent rating with a good conscience. So what is so bad about this game? Let me tell you:
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if
    you will) that decided to take this course I don't know, but releasing DLC on the day of release, particularly DLC which is important to the plot, at 1/6 the price of the game itself is unforgivable in of itself. It seems they are laughing in our face as we shell out money for something that should have been on the disc, available to everyone. It is obvious that it was done simply to milk as much money out of the fans as possible.
    2. Casualisation: The game was geared towards Call of Duty players in order to cash in on the series' success, while abandoning the loyal fanbase. Not much else to say here.
    3. Shoddy Writing: Many uninformed people think that the attacks on the Bioware employee Jennifer Hepler was simply a display of hate for the sake of hate. While they certainly did go overboard, it wasn't without good reason. She was the physical manifestation of the quality of writing coming from Bioware. Examples: Dialogue is awkward, the ending is notoriously bad, after seeing so many people die and killing so many himself, Sephard is emotianally effected by the death of a random kid above all. Overall you would expect something better from a Naruto fanfiction. 4. Laziness of Bioware: For a big budget, triple A game you would expect a certain level of effort from the developers. Bioware, however seemed to have taken shortcuts left, right and centre. There are images circulating the internet which demonstrate this quite well. For example, Copying a stock image for the portrait of a character who dies in the game, and copying another 7? year old image lying around in the internet for the ending.
    5. Ininspired Multiplayer: Another cash-in, Wave survival modes have been done to death, nowadays every game seems to have one. It seems this was added in to artificially extend the life of the game and make an excuse for future half-assed DLC releases.
    6. Gay Sex: people reading this may call 'Hurr durr homophobe" - but wait to read my reasoning. Homosexuality IS a sin. Being implemented in such as fashion acts to 'casualise' it, pressing on the impressionable 13 year old minds (whose uninformed mothers will be buying this game) that it is fine and acceptable. I do not hate **** I care about them, just as I do any other person. For this reason I oppose it.
    Even if this is an attempt to cash-in with the gay audience rather than a political agenda, it gets in the way of the average straight player and does not belong. I do not want to have gay passes made to me by my squadmates when I'm playing a game.
    7. Reviewers are sellouts: This goes for every major game release nowadays, but is absolutely appalling. While I'm not implying that EA is necessarily directly paying reviewers to give the game good reviews (not that I'd put it past them) there is certainly a feel that if you don't give it a good review the publisher early access to future releases. I have heard of cases where people have lost their job because they wrote how the felt rather than what they were told to write. This is why I'm writing this review in fact - to help get a bit of truth out.
    Instead of a proper, objective review we are fed tripe with 10/10 would play again bs.

Due to all these aformentioned problems with Mass Effect 3, I cannot take it seriously, thus it receives a score of 0/10. The only reason it has earned a 1 from me is because the Biodrone tears are absolutely delicious.
    Have a good day sirs.
  38. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ultimately no matter what path was chosen, what actions were taken, who lived and who died, at the end of this journey, all that remains is your ship and your crew abandon you. The first 95% of the game is amazing, its everything I hoped for and more. The last 5% is the biggest slap in the face imaginable. If you have invested 100's of hours from the first game until this one, you will be left stunned and appalled that none of the choices you made, none of the battles you fought, nothing you did in those 100's of hours ultimately pays off in any of the three endings you can pick from. With the three endings and the DLC on day 1, EA/Bioware show that fan support means nothing more than a dollar symbol to them. While most of the joy lays in the journey to the end of the game, there is no replay value at all in this game, because no matter what journey you take, the ends are all ultimately the same except for color variations and if synthetics live or die. Expand
  39. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending 1 : Die
    Ending 2 : Die
    Ending 3 : Die
    Seriously EA and Bioware? I really waited 2 years for such a pathetic ending? I'm feeling hollow here. I just wanna burn my N7 T-Shirt. What a sad day for RPG's. Choices have no influence... BECAUSE YOU DIE WHATEVER WHAT YOU DO. What a let down.
  40. Mar 11, 2012
    The whole purpose of postponing release of the game was to further refine it. Unfortunately ME3 still seems to be rushed, especially towards the end. I agree with all the 'haters' out here on the fact that there were barely any consequences to many of the so called important decisions made in ME1 & ME2. At times it felt as if I'm playing a unrelated game altogether. I was quite disappointed to see the characters I appreciated (such as thane and jack) having such diminished roles in the game. As far as squadmates go, James and Ash were NOT suitable replacement. The priority missions, particularly the one in Rannoch, were a treat. Graphics wasn't a big improvement from ME2. Gameplay was impressive . Weight restrictions on equipment as well as the omnibalde were nice additions. All in all, I would have rated this game a modest 6/10 IF the last 10 minutes of the game NEVER HAPPENED. Ardent fans of the series who have yet to play this game should prepare for bitter disappointment. In my opinion Bioware could not have made a more horrible ending. After spending so much time on the trilogy and getting attached to your character as well as the NPCs , I feel cheated in the end. Without spoiling anything I will just say that no matter what you choose during the game, you will get almost the same ending. If I know how badly it ends no matter what I do then why should I set myself up for disappointment AGAIN and AGAIN? Therefore 'Replay Value" gets a very low score. I hope Bioware plans on fixing the endings with DLCs. After all, Commander Shepard deserves MORE! Expand
  41. Mar 11, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a big game with detailed universe and environment. But without Drew Karpyshyn story became too simple and dialogues are worse than in first ME game. Another consequence is ridiculous DRAMA, such as story line with the boy, dreams... All these moments looks very unnaturally and clumsy. I think that main problem of ME3 is that it became shooter with RPG elements, but honestly shooting never was the reason why everybody played in first Mass Effect. Expand
  42. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While most of the game was good. Many plot holes, killing of characters and not being able to save them unless you romanced them in ME2 like Miranda was bogus. Having your LI and crew mates mysteriously appear on the Normandy and the Normandy in a hyperspace jump for no reason and crash landing on a planet for no reason makes no sense. The endings were horrible 7 endings all the same only 1 where Shepard survives and none where she/he ends up with the crew or LI in the end. Shepard essentially just gives up and lets the AI controlling all the reapers tell her/him what to do. This is an insult to fans of video gaming and Mass Effect everywhere. Yes many parts again I say were good but just killing off a character because you didn't romance them was seriously stupid. If you befriended them, got their loyalty in ME2 then you should have a shot at saving them. Yeah... This game doesn't deserve such high reviews from users or critics. In fact it deserves to be thrown in with the worst games of the year because Bioware had 2 years to develop this game. They had 2 years to give us proper endings and instead they just told the fans to go screw themselves they no longer care about us. In the end your choices mean nothing. In the end if you romanced Liara and got the dialogue option to have little blue children with her means nothing. In the end when you tell your LI you love them it means absolutely nothing because your Shepard can't spend the rest of her/his life with said LI. Really bad writing and really bad execution overall. Then there is the auto dialogue, the lack of conversation wheel options that are replaced with renegade and paragon interrupts... They destroyed the series they built and then they have the gall to say "Oh play multiplayer to get the best ending" which is still a crappy ending. And they say "we can still use the universe for more stories." Well there won't be anymore stories without the mass relays since they are destroyed in all but 1 ending. Only way to do that is to set the next game up in the far far future where there are new ways to travel at FTL speeds or in the past before Humanity was in the galactic picture. Either way the game endings have screwed us over. Then there are the romance scenes between FemShep and Traynor. Traynor is in the shower in her underclothing. NO ONE showers like that unless drunk and someone is helping them. Then FemShep enters in her clothing too. That is shoddy romance scene right there. Use artistic filtering and have them out of their clothing but not showing any naughty bits. They can do that easily. Then the one with Liara and FemShep where Liara has no under clothing on but FemShep does. They could have easily removed said under clothing and easily made the naughty bits not seen by anyone. They did it in ME1 and the Traynor/FemShep scene there wasn't much breast shot in the bra anyways so it could have been done there too. Again... poor execution. This game should not have been released in this state. Bioware you've lost a customer. Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2012
    Take away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out of this game, but also out of the rest of the franchise which have been building up to an epic ending, where literally NONE of your choices throughout the entire series make an impact.

Not having this strong story to keep you going, be prepared to suffer through this sub-par shooter.
  44. Mar 12, 2012
    Up until the last 15 minutes or so, this game is incredibly enjoyable. There were so many moments where I was up out of my chair rooting for characters, or solemnly watching someone sacrifice themselves. Having been a bit of a perfectionist in the previous 2 games, I set about playing this game with the same sort of vigour, making sure to check every single planet for war assets and scouring every level/area for anything that I could find. So it was with great sadness that in the end I discovered that all of these discoveries, and all of the choices made over the span of 3 games, were nothing more than a little number displayed on the screen. The 'endings' are very reminiscent of those presented in Deus Ex: HR, except at least in that game we get somewhat of an epilogue. Expand
  45. Mar 12, 2012
    Gutwrenching, unfortunately. For a long term fan (played ME1 and ME2 multiple times to tweak my actions) - I find myself extremely disappointed and frankly - let down by how this ended. The game plays well, but honestly - if you are a long term fan - I cannot suggest you go down the road of hopelesness where actions do not seem to matter and it is not just that answers about ME main plot are not given, there are a whole lot of new questions. But sorry - the series is now over. I got upset enough with this that from now on, I'll be buying BioWare games only 2nd hand. Someone in the company had to think this was acceptable and I am not supporting them anymore. Expand
  46. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ruined a series I've been on love with since the reveal in 2007. NONE of the choices from the other games matter because you get the same ending with three different colors. The characters that you have established relationships with and have come to admire get no closure in this final installment.

While I have shelled out a small fortune buying these games on multiple platforms with all DLC i can truly say that I am sad this one took advantage of the fans. You are forced to play the multiplayer to boost your single player campaign strength (sneaky DRM trick EA has pulled) and day 1 DLC. The third installment also pushed for "gay" romances. There is nothing wrong with the fact that they added this into the game but they did not do a good job because it was not subtle at all. It's the in your face aspect that takes away from the atmosphere of the previous 2 games and feels completely out of place and forced. The ending will leave you dumbfounded and angry. That being said DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME and take your money elsewhere.
  47. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As much as I have been a fan of the series with multiple characters on both ME1 and ME2 i can only give ME 3 a 4. It really hurts me to give this to a game such a score, considering how good just about 99% of the game was. It isn't because Shepard dies, I was going in with the assumption this was a possible outcome. There are small bugs (texture pop ups, etc) in the game but didn't take away from the presentation at all. I think the best way to put it is in one word that Bioware has used repeatedly to describe this game, choice. I think i can actually understand how/why Bioware wanted to end the ME universe as they did. The problem was that the connection between 99% of the game and the last 1% was it didn't mesh well together (at least in my opinion). Each choice you had at the end does embrace the path (choices you made throughout the game) you took to get there. However because of how last minute it felt, after thinking you finished everything, there is this feeling of disconnect. The end isn't able to truly show that the path that you have taken with all the choices made through the game had been presented in front of you. In an ending such as this, unless everything can come together perfectly, it is extremely hard to present to an audience in a coherent manner. The ending isn't what everyone wanted, I myself wouldn't mind an optional off into the sunset ending and/or a depressing everyone dies ending. However in the ending that Bioware chose, they needed to do more to truly show what the players were choosing in the end. The conversation at the very end is a prime example where this could have been archived, but just fell flat on its face in trying. The score I gave is representative how Bioware was not able to weave a story around the theme of choice in a manner that gripped everyone. Also there are problems/sloppyness with the ending cimematics shown before the credits such as the Normandy and the Mass Relays. There isn't much of an explanation as to why the Normandy looked to be between relays when it should have been at earth, or if the relay explosion only took out the relay or entire solar systems. Expand
  48. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect has been an amazing series with great storytelling and excellent characters. So I'm dumbfounded with the way Bioware decided to end it all with absolutely no closure and plot holes galore. We didn't need a happy "rainbows and bunnies" ending - just one that makes sense and provides closure. Maybe we the fans don't deserve better - but Mass Effect sure did. For me, the horrible ending ruined the series. Expand
  49. Dev
    Mar 13, 2012
    Mass Effect 3's ending is the greatest disappoint to any series but what's worse is that I paid for it. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless bioware fixed the ending. No one should pay for disappointment.
  50. Mar 12, 2012
    Glitchy, lazy, a slap in the face to fans of not just the games but the comics and novels. They used a stock photo for the face of a character everyone has been waiting to see for 2 games, it isn't as smoothly animated as in the other games. They totally counteracted anything you did in the last two games to the point that nothing you do matters. It's a shame and it makes me wonder what the professional reviewers were playing as I saw nothing worthy of praise as time went on. Expand
  51. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I find anyone giving this game a 9 or 10 mind boggling. That ending was completely trite, trash, garbage, the **** worst ending to any game I've ever played. A huge disappointment. It should immediately have 2 points knocked off just for that, and that's being EXTREMELY generous. The game was glorious, I loved every minute of it, until those last 5. The gameplay was good, I loved the story and the action and then... biggest god damn let down of the century. Unless I dunno, you missed out on the rapture or something oops that still hasn't happened. Anyway. Anyone giving this game a 10 either hasn't beaten it, is fan wanking, or is a troll. I absolutely loved the series, easily one of my favorites and then they slap me in the face with the first day DLC which is already on the disc and an ending so abysmal it's forcing me to knock it down to a god damn 3. What they did right, game play was good, I enjoyed the animations, MOST of the story was thoroughly enjoyable and evoked emotion, I was legitimately distraught at the deaths of Mordin, Thane, and Legion, and getting to romance Steven Cortez and Kaiden Alenko as Male Shepard.

And then... they **** it ALL up, in 5 minutes. Took me over 30 hours to beat the game, all that I loved, and they **** it up in 5 god damn minutes. How is that even possible, how could they have gone so **** wrong. And honestly I don't even care that Shepard dies, I care about the **** trash where we see 3 people get off the Normandy in the aftermath and oops who the **** cares about all the rest. What the **** happened to all the people we spent learning about, building attachments too, we not only are forced to watch Shepard die with that bogus pick your poison ending but we get no closure for more than half of the characters we spent collecting and working with for the preceding games only to become side notes in this one.
  52. Mar 13, 2012
    Decent game other that Bioware making mistakes like not following what happened in other games, as well as the end where you get essentially one ending that they changed the color on, pick your favorite color and watch the Galaxy be destroyed. Also they removed important content(From Ashes)and made it a DLC, if you have the game on computer you can get the DLC for free by editing a few codes of line in the game files. I seriously don't know how EA or Bioware will recover from this. I won't buy another game from either of the companies again. Expand
  53. Mar 13, 2012
    There is no way to accurately describe how disappointing this game is. 99% of this game is wonderful. The last 10-15 minutes of this game destroys everything that you have come to love about the Mass Effect universe. The day before the game was released I was so exited, like a child the night before their birthday. Now I feel terrible. None of the choices I have made over the course of the three games have had any impact on the ending. In fact the ending so thoroughly nukes what you were fighting for it destroys all replay value the game may have had for me. I have no interest in walking my other Shepards through this game to meet the same end. As someone who has grown to love this series over the years and invested over 100 hours of playtime, I wish I could un-play this game. Expand
  54. Mar 14, 2012
    Bioware. Sit down. We need to have a talk. Listen, I was with you when you took the customization out of Mass Effect 2. I defended you when you blatantly recycled maps in Dragon Age 2. I even enjoyed your poor gameplay copy of World of Warcraft with The Old Republic. Why? Because the writing in your games was good! I enjoyed your stories! But this is inexcusable. That Bioware writing I know and love is gone. The feeling that my choices matter, which made your games so great is utterly absent. Instead, I'm given a generic piece of junk that has a completely slap-dash ending. I'm sorry Bioware, but we're over, I cannot stand to play your games after this. But we had some good times, didn't we? Remember Baldur's Gate? Yeah, I'll always treasure those memories. Good bye, Bioware. Expand
  55. Mar 17, 2012
    The endings steal the strength of the mass effect series in the importance of your choices and the possibility of different paths. Join the retakeme3 movement and demand a proper ending to an otherwise great experience.
  56. Mar 22, 2012
    As I write this review I am watching the credits roll after finishing my first play-through of Mass Effect 3. I am a huge fan of the series, having logged hundreds of hours in the first two installments. In those games I followed every story arc to it's end, had every conversation I could. I became invested, and I loved the universe of the Mass Effect series because my actions created the experiences I had there. For these reasons I am disappointed in this latest installment. Disappointed because the decisions of the first two installments take minor roles, and new game play options take center stage. This is a game that should have been made for the fans, not to garner support for Kinect and lay claim to a new multiplayer audience.

This (supposedly) final installment feels like a slap in the face to the fans of the series. There is no soul, no investment in the story line. Each "priority" mission feels like a chore instead of a journey, and the story as a whole is simply swiss cheese; full of holes. Take the opening sequence, for example. (This is not a spoiler. It was in the demo. Just a heads up.) Reapers descend on Earth, and Commander Shepard just strolls over to the only Mass Relay in the solar system and simply flies off into the sunset? Are the followers of the immaculate story telling from the first two installments meant to believe that the Reapers wouldn't even post a guard at the Relay? Nothing? Even knowing that Commander Shepard, the constant thorn in their paw, would be trapped if they block his only escape route? I think not.

The bottom line is this: the combat is engaging, dynamic and very fun, but the story is utter trash. My disappointment is so strong that I can't even allow my love of the first two games to influence this negative opinion at all. Multiplayer is a decent addition, and Kinect audio functions are novel, but as a whole this game is forgettable. I never thought I'd describe Mass Effect this way. I'm sure that other (former) fans feel the same way.
  57. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great series and concluding story up until the last 10 minutes, disappointing enough to tarnish the rest of the series as well. What does the game do different than the previous titles? The action has even more fit and finish and is an absolute blast, some customization to weapons is given but a better variety of mods would have been welcomed. Voice acting is great (except for some odd journalist person out of nowhere with a nightmarish outfit) and the story will pluck your heartstrings. Quest tracking is awful, embarrassingly awful when you are unable to view your inventory for a quest item and the quest tracker provides no clue as to whether you've picked it up or not. This might no be an issue if you play this parts in large block of time but if you are taking frequent breaks between these side missions it is hard to keep track of that else you need to do before you return tot he hub. Also there is no announcement of time limited windows for completing side quests, I found out when I saw them disappear and forced me to load a previous save. To sum this up, the game is great, I would have appreciated more dialog conversations but it wasn't a deal breaking....until the end. I don't think this ending is sad, or depressing. It's just bad, cheapens the rest of the story and the universe the game is set in. If this is your first Mass Effect game I don't think the reaction will be as terrible, but if you've fallen in the love with the characters and story, beware. Expand
  58. Mar 23, 2012
    Not only did Bioware decide to appeal to the greater masses by giving up the individuality and writing of the previous two games in the Mass Effect installment, but they have given up their talent. Mass Effect 3 reduces game choices to simple 2-decision dialogue bubbles, forces a multiplayer element into the game in order to get the "good" ending, and blatantly plagiarizes artwork from both a stock image site and Deviant Art. Notably, the former was used, (albeit poorly photoshopped), as the reveal of the identity of a character that had been left faceless for the entire series. The voice talent of many of the prominent figures from previous games are also notably absent, leaving one to wonder if Bioware had decided to cut corners, or if they just gave up. Enemy variety is reduced to a fraction of what it was before, weapons are scarce as ever to come by, and one strange element is how ammunition is once again in the form of bullets, when in previous games you had an unlimited amount. This is the future after all, isn't it? Day-one Downloadable Content is also present, which is senseless and blatant greed on the developer's part. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that there was also DLC in the previous two installments, and a large portion of Mass Effect 3's character development is obtainable by playing those. The game is forced, as well as your decisions in it, unless you decide to fork the dough over to Bioware for the final installment in the series. If you're unhappy with the endings, which are all the same save for a different color of firework, don't worry! Bioware's publicly apologized and is working on a new ending. (Yes, you read that right.) Expand
  59. Mar 16, 2012
    The game is absolutely top notch until the ending is reached and you're presented with 3 choices. 3 choices which completely dismiss any decisions you've made prior in any of the 3 games. There are 3 ending scenes with no closure and a convoluted, out of character plot which disregard the franchises key themes. This destroys any motivation you may have to replay this game-or any of the other ME games. Expand
  60. Mar 16, 2012
    I have never seen a game of this quality botch an ending so badly. This ending single handily brought the game down from about an 8 or 9 to 4. It
  61. Mar 14, 2012
    It is the most beautifully crafted sci fi game i've ever played in my life, story/gameplay/graphics all came together in one unforgettable experience ... right until last 10 min.
  62. Mar 16, 2012
    I'm reviewing this right after finishing so this may be overly influenced by the ending. Nonetheless, 3 games worth of choices and storytelling were tossed out the window in the final minutes leaving me with a severely bad impression. I don't mind the tone or the darkness. I do mind that it felt like, for the ending, a different group of writers were brought in, given a two-sentence plot summary and told that resources were limited so they should cut as many corners as possible.

Up until then, I was planning on going back on playing through all three again to see the results of different paths. After I played through the 3 alternate endings thinking I must have just picked the wrong one the first time, I was so annoyed that I just uninstalled it.

For a game in which the consequences of choices have had real in-game (and emotional) impacts up to that point, to have the ending completely disconnected from any choices you made is ridiculous.
  63. Mar 21, 2012
    Should be renamed No Effect. Felt like a waste of time afterwards. Gameplay is just okay. Mass effect isn't exactly known for its action gameplay. All it really has is story, and it was doing incredibly well with that up until this game. Only pickup if you don't care about how it will end.
  64. Mar 21, 2012
    I am a big fan of the series and even bought my first 360 to play the original on release. I have had some minor complaints about the series on the way but I never voiced them as they were minor inconsistencies and things that didn't really matter. However, the last 10 minutes of this game ruin the experience as a whole for me. It even makes playing the previous installments of the game painful, know that no matter what you do, you will be pigeonholed into three, essentially identical and equally lame endings. If not for the ending this game would be at the very top of my list of favorite games. Expand
  65. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will not lie, this game didn't do it for me. Unlike most, I had actually started with Mass Effect 2, played through it 4 times, then moved onto the first one, played through it 4 times, and then used those caracters in Mass Effect 2. Reason? I wanted to see how it changed the game. No such feeling for this game. Bioware just simply gave up with this one. I love the lore, absolutely love it, and I loved the idea of the Reapers, as well as the mystery surrounding them. But this game did not do justice to that love. First of all, it starts out awkwardly, without explanation of what happened after ME2, a little awkward, but it can be over looked. Next (Spoiler warning!!!!!) you uncover the plans to a superweapon that will end the invasion that just started a few minutes ago. WTF? After playing up the Reapers as a race of destructive beings that are nigh unkillable, you immediately find the solution, on Mars of all places. No, too easy, no thought involved in that one. A personal gripe of mine as that after they played up the whole "consequences of having romanced 2 people in the prior games", all that happens is you choose, that's it. No emotional turmoil, no conflict of interest, nothing. And they ruined the caracters. No emotional link with them in this game what so ever, except maybe Liara. Animations: recycled from ME2, and they glitch like crazy during cutscenes. Unacceptable. And don't even get me started on the ending. No closure, nothing you did matters, and plot holes the size of the Great Lakes. However, the game does have some upsides, notably the combat. Improved upon the satisfying style of ME2, included some of the RPg elements from ME1 (at a seriously cut-down scale mind you), and varied ennemies with different tactics. Story missions had good designs, and the multiplayer, despite being unoriginial, benefits from the flare of Mass Effect combat (biotic comboes mainly). From a gameplay perspective, a satisfying result, but from a story and technical perspective, it wreaks of laziness and lack of creativity, and depth, something that IMO, ME1 revolutionised, and ME2 perfected, and that ME3 now recycles and downgrades. Expand
  66. Jul 8, 2012
    Overall the game was very disappointing for me, and this is sad because I have played the other 2 ME games and consider myself a Mass Effect fan (maybe it should be considered). A few parts were very well done and this is what made the game bearable for me. The Tuchanka and Rannoch mission chains were the games saving grace and the writing was in most cases stellar. Which makes the debacle at the end of the game even harder to understand. The ending was nothing short of a travesty. It took away my desire to replay the game and even the other two games. When a game does that I would consider a 4 a very generous score... Expand
  67. Mar 15, 2012
    Subpar all the way, the boys and girls at Bioware went out to the back shed and slapped this garbage together in their spare time. Instead of investing time and effort into making it a great RPG they tried to make it a shooter, an RPG and a movie to widen its appeal and give them more money. In places ME3 has its moments, but they are few are far between, the graphics are nothing to get excited about, the plot detached and the choices you can make have little or no overall impact regardless of play mode. They have forgotten thier roots and the established lore of thier own game. I would rather pay for and be forced to read all of the twilight novels than play this dreadful game. Expand
  68. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish I could score this game twice. Once would be for the gameplay, options, dialogue, and general playability. That score would be very high; I am a big fan of the Mass Effect series, and I thought that this one was pretty good, considering. The second would be for the ending, and it would be negative. Dear Game Developers, please read this. I don't want you to try to leave me thinking at the end. I don't want to turn off the game and say, "well, that sucked." I want to end happily riding off into the sunset with my lady (Tali, in my playthrough). I WANT TO SURVIVE THE END OF THE GAME. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? Why can't I be the conquering hero? Why can't I use my paragon points to change the outcome? I know that I am not completely representative of the gaming community, but I want a happy ending. Bioware took three games to utterly fail to give me that, and left me feeling deeply unsatisfied. I am disgusted by the shoddiness and sheer badness of the ending. In fact, I would suggest that all video game writers consider the seven year old test- would a seven year old be happy with at least one of the endings?
    On an unrelated note, I add my voice to those that have spoken about the shoddy, tactless attempt to add in different sexuality and gender options. It seemed utterly forced. In the end, the ending made it feel like Bioware didn't care about me. It didn't care about how I felt after I played.
  69. Mar 28, 2012
    What a sh**y ending. No chance of a good ending, even if you have make only correct choices over all 3 games. Bioware has lost all his skills. First gameplay and now storytelling. Nothing more is left of a once great development studio.
  70. Jun 12, 2012
    Before anyone calls me a "troll" for giving this game a zero, allow me to explain. Originally I thought this game deserved a 5/10. I found about half the content enjoyable, if a little bland. The music was lacking in atmosphere, the dialogue is ropey and the graphics buggy! (my characters head revolved like an excorcist moment!) Then came the gameplay, removed almost completely from anything remotely RPG and lacking depth. The A.I are atrocious, constantly glitching through walls and running backwards into enemies. Despite this, I was enjoying an average 5/10 game. Then came the release day content that was included on the disc, pointless multiplayer, ridiculous flirting for no reason, massively boring sections of corridor shooting monotony, and the fact I had to swap disc four times within 40mins!!! This is yet another over-hyped and over-rated lazy effort from bioware. I waited and only paid £15 for it and still felt cheated. If this is the supposed "natural evolution of the RPG" I worry for the future of decent, in depth games. My last grievance, that really dropped the score, was the blatant copying of Gears Of War. The cover system I can accept, but now add roady-running, rolls, jumps and melee. Also now a hammer of dawn impression! Give it a rest Bioware and get your own ideas. Expand
  71. Mar 24, 2012
    After putting 200 plus hours into this franchise i feel like i just got the finger from bioware. The ending is bad...any way you put it. Everyone around the internet keeps on saying that "just the last ten minutes were bad"...no not just the last ten minutes...the entire ending in its entirety is just terrible
  72. Jun 12, 2012
    I know that this score my seem harsh to some of the hardcore Mass Effect gamers out there, but i was so disappointed with Mass Effect 3 that in my opinion it doesn't deserve a better rating. I have way to many complaints to list here, but the things that really annoy me about this game are simple. Bioware have gone from ripping of other sci-fi tv shows, games, books etc to ripping of Gears of War and badly at that. Also, why do they feel the need to do a Dragon Age 2 and overly sexualize the characters. For a female gamers such as myself, I dont need to see Miranda's bum when I am having a conversation and dont want to play a game that degrades women. Therefore I have marked Mass Effect 3 down from the score I gave it and was highly disappionted as I like the other Mass Effect games. Expand
  73. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm not even mad that the ending sucked. I'm mad that it sucked and DIDN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! It was like if Francis Ford Coppola died right before shooting the last scene of The Godfather. Then some idiot hack came in to take over and scribbled a final scene together by finger painting his feces on a canvas. And to top it all off Bioware has the goddam nerve to TELL US TO BUY UPCOMING DLC IF WE WANT TO LEARN MORE! Tell you what Bioware, you can come over here and suck on MY DLC. Expand
  74. Mar 6, 2012
    Amazing game. Nuff said.

Yo I'm MC Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3
    I really like those games but the trolls disappoint me
    Martin Sheen, Mark Meer, and Seth Green
    Why all the bad reviews?
    They have a perfect trilogy!
  75. Mar 23, 2012
    I wish that the company had been as loyal to the fans as I have been to the series. After all of the gameplay and all of the care I took playing and replaying the first two games, all I get are three crappy choises that all amount to basically the same thing? I won't be wasting any more money or time with Bioware games if they think this is acceptable.
  76. Mar 12, 2012
    The last 20 minutes of the game appear as brought over from another game; without any logic or closure. A typical deus ex machina with 3 arbitrary choices, and missing is the logical expected one.
  77. Mar 13, 2012
    All forms of narrative storytelling (whether it be books, movies, or video games) are judged on the beginning of the narrative and the conclusion of it. With that being said, Mass Effect 3 is a great game until you reach the lackluster ending. When a company such as Bioware creates a game that takes pride in its extraordinary writing, issues with the story are huge because we, the consumers, expect the best from Bioware. This awful set of ending scenarios is probably another money milking tactic of EA's in order to squeeze more money out of the Mass Effect IP, whether it be in the form of DLC or future sequels (Bioware has already stated that even though Shepard's story is over, the Mass Effect IP may continue in the future).

It's entirely possible that this series of ending scenarios was made in order to make the writing process for the next trilogy of ME easier, which I hope was the case because apparently they downgraded in that regard. Mass Effect 3 is rather enjoyable except for the last 30 minutes, with that being said, if you prefer to play video games with strong narratives, this game isn't for you. The ending has many plot holes which are not explained and any questions that were to be answered from previous installments were just replaced with new ones (most likely to garner interest in future titles).

One last note; there are a lot of reviewers here who believe that those who are giving low scores are ignorant or that it's merely a bunch of "trolls". The truth is that this franchise was harmed in the worst way when these terrible endings were implemented. The truth is that for most of the negative reviews (not all of them, but most) there is a player who was expecting an epic conclusion to an epic saga, but was left with a deep feeling of betrayal and disappointment due to a tragic ending of a great trilogy (I do not mind sad endings, by tragic ending I mean an ending of poor taste). I'm not sure if I'm going to buy ME4 (I definitely will not buy it on its day of release, so I can wait to see the reviews before purchasing it) but if they do plan to continue the franchise, I hope they carry it out in a careful manner and return to the roots that made Mass Effect 1 such a great video game. I'm sure those who are loyal to the franchise will agree with me.
  78. Mar 14, 2012
    WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

As a prelude, let me just say that I'm a writer, and I make my living writing. I've been a writer since long before Mass Effect came out, and that's a huge part of what drew me to these games. What I loved about the ME series was how masterfully the story was woven in such a way that the authors (Bioware) crafted a tale that actually permitted input from the
    readers (gamers) to determine how the story progressed. No matter what path you chose, the story was interesting and engaging, but your decisions always had clear consequences in the end, as the decisions of any protagonist should.

Coming into ME3, I was a little nervous. After all, with the bar being set so high with the other two, could Bioware really deliver a fitting conclusion? I mentally prepared myself for the worst. But then, as I played through the game, my fears were gradually alleviated. Frankly, the experience was Epic with a capital E. I saw how the decisions my character had made in the previous games impacted the galaxy around him. The characters came to life and drew pure emotional responses from me as the plot continued to weave itself together. But the arc of the story was clear: Shepard was not going to survive. I was okay with that, and I was ready for that. And playing through the final mission on Earth, having final conversations with all of Shep's squadmates, the writer in me was satisfied. All the loose ends seemed to be tied up. The ending was in sight, it was just a matter of seeing what exactly would happen.

I'll spare you the details, but in the last 5 minutes of what had essentially been a hundred hours (or more) of story, that story was destroyed. The sad thing is that the story all made sense, it all fit, except for that last 5 minutes. From the perspective of a player, I failed to accomplish my mission. To quote Ecclesiastes, it was all vanity and grasping after the wind. From a writer's perspective, it's like I crafted a beautifully written and engaging trilogy of novels, but made someone else who didn't know the story or care about the characters write the last paragraph of the last book.

As I played through the game, I kept thinking: "This is how video games should be." Now, seeing the end, all I can ponder is what could have been. It was so close to being perfect! But it all unraveled in 5 minutes, FIVE minutes! I didn't want a "happy" ending where Shep lives and has kids and blah-blah-blah (although the option would have been nice, admittedly), I just wanted an ending that kept in step with the series and made sense to a reasonable person. But none of the "endings" meet those criteria. It's just that simple, and just that disappointing.

The endings as they are, if accepted in a straightforward manner, are so nonsensical that anything, even a hallucination or even the Reapers winning, would be more fitting. At the very least I hope Bioware will own up to how mercileslly they butchered the end of such a great story. The optimist in me dares to hope that they actually do something about it; it would not be the first time a game was significantly changed with a patch, or that a game's ending was changed with a DLC pack. No one is going to forget the feeling of being betrayed by the end of ME3, but it would go a long way towards healing those wounds if Bioware would try to make things right somehow.

As a writer, I understand the argument that the creator of a story has the right to determine the ending as they see fit. And I think it's valid. But even in the realm of printed fiction, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "changed his story" and brought back Sherlock Holmes after the public outcry at the character's death. Even in the realm of literature, there's room for an author here and there to admit they were wrong and change their tune. I earnestly hope Bioware decides to do the same.
  79. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a marvelous game that manages to destroy the entire trilogy in its last 15 minutes. The first 95% of the game is really quite good. Bioware manages to put together some spectacular set pieces and really fun action scenes. The combat is also for the most part better than it has been in the previous games. They also do a good job brining in things from the previous games, and let you make some really cool decisions. The dialog and voice acting is quite excellent for the most part. There were parts that were hilarious and parts that I will admit I cried at. I did have some minor problems with this portion of the game, though. The â Expand
  80. Mar 19, 2012
    It's sad to see this great game end this way. The ending, or rather lack of one, is appalling. Absolutely none of the decisions you've made in the game, or in ME1/ME2 make any difference, and the end result is always the same just with different color, it leaves you with a feeling never wanting to touch Mass Effect again. The end of the game offers no closure or what's even worse doesn't make sense at all Expand
  81. Mar 21, 2012
    The game was perfect... until the last 10 minutes. The combat was awesome, the set pieces were great, war was burning the galaxy. Shepard's decisions were supposed to doom or save the galaxy. Fast forward to the end: you only get 3 endings, the endings have huge plot holes, and turn off the game with immense rage. This game's ending is an abomination compared to the rest of the series (including the rest of ME3). The ending is so bad that I still have to give a score of 2. Expand
  82. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played all three games and this one made them all turn bitter and useless. The first one gave me true exploration and an uncharted galaxy in which I had full control and repercussions for my actions. Real effects and sacrifices. I was in full control of every aspect of my character, his weapons, class, armor, decisions, even right down to his face. In essence I had become Shepard, I saw me in the game. In the second one I further saw the repercussions of my actions, the good and the bad. Though I noticed that a lot of the independence found in the first was gone and replaced with more linear missions, less exploration and open-world type missions. But we did gain impressive battles and a much stronger foe, and my squad mates depended on my choices. While I missed the old style, I readily embraced the new with its flaws. Then we get to the third, the "ending we deserve". From the get go, the bugs are obvious, the loading screen takes forever and the game freezes randomly during exploration sections. Conversations are painfully linear without much options for a more in depth dialogue, and the paragon renegade choices are quite obvious and don't really present much of a moral challenge anymore during basic game-play save for a few occasions. The Kinect option was over-hyped and not nearly as much fun as you would think. On a positive note the enemies are challenging, exciting, and be quite formidable lending this game some respect in that area, and the scenery is spectacular. Being able to see many of the home worlds was a great decision. But the story line becomes confusing at times, many characters show up without introduction which were never seen in the basic games, only in the dlc. Kai Leng being the most annoying of all of them. But even this was forgivable once I saw the fleet reach earth and full on assault the reapers. In my opinion it was the most awe inspiring battle I have ever seen in either movies or games. Seeing so much at stake, and understanding the emotion of the moment, how all three games had worked toward this. It was momentous. The assault on London furthered the fight, bringing my Shepard ever closer to the heart of the enemy. The increasing attacks, the stress, it was brilliant. Then the suicide charge to the beam. The brush of death, and then the crawl to the beam to fulfill your destiny. It was a story of a legend! It was genius! And then silence, you hobble up to the platform to meet TIM and Anderson. You defeat TIM and open the citadel arms and you sit back with Anderson, both of you barely alive but victorious...and then they decide to destroy everything you ever fought for in the next 15 minutes! The crucible was just a ploy! A scam! Up comes Mister AI/god/starchild/*sshole who decides to tell you the real story which can be boiled down to just plain racism and genocide. The smartest sentient life in the galaxy wasn't much for logic, no debate, no discussion, just pick a color and die. He gives you some bs story and expects you to eat it all up with no questions. Then no matter what decision you choose, the galaxy is destroyed, Shepard dies. Then to top it all off your crew leaves you for dead and act like they don't give a damn about what you just did. This was my ending? All my resources, choices, actions, and friendships boiled down to a color and galactic destruction in every option? How can I not be upset and feel scammed. Even at the end Shepard speaks of hope being the driving mechanism of life, which the catalyst shoots down as pathetic and useless. Why did Bioware do this? To teach me a life lesson that no matter what we all still fail? life is pointless?that I should never pre-order a game ever again? Seriously, nobody thought this was a bad idea? Expand
  83. Mar 22, 2012
    For me, plot is everything that makes a game. You can shoot aliens or people in just about any game. Once you've played one FPS or RPG and you learn the mechanics, they only very slightly from game to game. The biggest differentiation between games is the plot, the characters, and their story. These things are responsible for drawing the gamer in and making them care. For the plot to go so terribly wrong in the final minutes is mind blowing. Through this trilogy the plot was masterfully crafted, like a fine wine. I never noticed a single plot-hole until the last five to ten minutes of this game. The ending robed this series of everything I was led to believe it stood for, violates canon, presents flawed logic, and introduces inexplicable situations and plot-holes. It is hard for me to understand how the plot could be so finely crafted for one hundred plus hours, only to be spoiled in the final five to ten minutes of the final game of this trilogy. Furthermore, it's as if they cut the story off at its climax. There are no signs of denouement to be found for the main plot. As such, this game fails to deliver on the developer's promise that this game would wrap up the main plot and answer many remaining questions. I sincerely hope that this was not an intentional ploy to sell DLC. I hope that Bioware comes through on releasing a better ending, however, if they intend to sell it to me, I'm done. I would much rather they sell a complete game to me at $70, than to sell me an incomplete game for $60 and charge me $10 to properly complete the game. How underhanded and dishonest is that? I'd also rather they release the game months past its due date than release an incomplete game, but that is more tolerable. With plot being my sole purpose for buying and playing games, I cannot honestly rate my experience any higher. It is a shame considering I truly loved this series, until the final five to ten minutes of this game. Expand
  84. Mar 23, 2012
    this is incredible!!! how can such a bad game get released? i hope someone get fired for it!!! it's incredible, i've never played a worst game in my life: the ending made no sense! what was the point of playing the two previous games if the choices don't matter anyway? it's awful! i hope bioware goes bankrupt!
  85. Mar 23, 2012
    And the series ends with an incoherent whimper: BioWare's MASS EFFECT 3 is a colossal let down. The final installment in the trilogy, it is a game plagued by small glitches, a broken journal system (where you're never quite sure where you need to go to fulfill your quest), auto-dialogue (as opposed to the branching dialogue choices of the first two games) and one hell of a laughable ending that sinks the whole mess. People act like the ending is some kind of "artistic statement", but the "Final Hours" app shows the game's lead writer and project director were unsure of how to end their game as late as November 2011 (when the game was supposed to come out). As a result, they stole the storyline from Matrix 2 & 3 and jammed it into the ending of ME3. Suddenly our choices don't matter, and the ending cinematics are both lazy and baffling.

This game is a red hot mess, and not at all what was promised by BioWare before release.
  86. Apr 4, 2012
    This game was amazing.....till the end. I felt hallow and sick because of this ending. I'm going to pretend it never happened. No choice, major plotholes and no closure.
  87. Apr 10, 2012
    CAUTION The author is not afraid of repercussion of this article, unlike â
  88. Mar 11, 2012
    Really enjoyed the game. Spectacular ending. Amazing grande finale to a series I've come to cherish. I'm starting my second play through. After that I'll probably play it 4 more times for good measure.
  89. Apr 9, 2012
    What a joke. Mass Effect 2 was easily my favorite game this gen and I couldn't have been more letdown playing through this game the first time. I'm working through my second play through and I just can't make it. I'm selling it back and never buying a Mass Effect game again. Easily the worst and most disappointing ending of a game I've ever seen and I refuse to pay EA for a better ending. They ruined it for themselves and I'm not letting them get any more of my money. Expand
  90. Mar 26, 2012
    As a avid fan of the first two installments of the series, I have to say that ME3 was disappointing beyond belief. The story completely falls apart in the last ten minutes of the game. As the final secrets are revealed, the player is confronted by the horrible truth that THE STORY MAKES NO SENSE. Clearly, the lead writer was out of his philisophical and intellectual depth. This combined with EA's dispicable grab for cash with the day one DLC has made me decide never to buy another game from this publisher. Expand
  91. Mar 13, 2012
    Let me just start by saying that Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games I've ever played until more and less 20 min before the end. Unlike the criticism that your ME1 and ME2 choices didn't matter much in ME3, I think that BioWare made a terrific effort in taking into account all your choices and delivering you some rather unexpected consequences for them (save for some minor plot gaps, i.e., I romanced Liara in ME1 and again in ME2 in the Shadow Broker DLC, but when I reunite with her in ME3 she says that we haven't been together in years. wtf?). Again, this applies only if you exclude those last 20 minutes. For those who have been following the series since ME1, the game is an emotional roller coaster that delivers several truly memorable moments (sad, hopeful and hilarious) in a way that truly represents the unique spirit of the series. In fact, there are several missions in which I felt that my previous actions actually mattered for the story (e.g., curing/sabotaging the genophage, the krogan-turian aliance, the war between the geth and quarians, etc). But then again, all of this only applies before those last 20 min. After this moment, its a freakin downhill ride in plot quality. Even though I seem to felt that my actions would actually have big consequences, the end boils down to a deus ex machina plot device, delivering three options none of which my Shepard would take. What's more, these three options are regardless of any previous choices that I've made and their outcome is nearly the same but with different colors (oh, and there is a variation where earth is destroyed and not saved). The ending also does not deliver a single bit of closure to the Shepard's story. If these endings are supposed to be very open so that "our imagination can complete the rest", I wouldn't need to play the whole damn game in the first place! I could have just imagine how it would end from ME2! If I'm playing a trilogy until the end, I would expect (at least!) to know what the hell happened, because I sure did not understand what happened next. In the supposed perfect ending, Shepard seems to survive a massive explosion of the citadel (as shown by a 10sec footage of him coffing in a pile of rubble) but how?! And how did my teammates made it to the normandy in time (seemingly in perfect condition when they get out to the tropical planet) and why is joker fleeing at full speed from the "blast wave" from the mass relays? In the Arrival DLC, we are told that the destruction of a mass relay would wipe out the entire system it orbits, which means that earth was also wiped out by the mass relay in the Sol system?! But apparently the soldiers on earth seem to survive... A so joker is running from...? what? Whether you control or destroy the reapers or you chose synthesis, the outcome of those choices is exactly the same for me, because we get to know so little about what happens in the future! And don't tell me it is supposed to be THAT open, unless BioWare is thinking of making a new game that resumes from those disparate resolutions in three whole new different ways, which is unlikely. I loved the game until that final mission, where I just stared at the TV trying to digest such a bad plot ending and getting absolutely no satisfaction at all. I usually finish ME games twice (paragorn and renegade), but ME3 is so emotionally taxing in the end and leaves such a depressing feeling, that I am not sure that I'll be able to go through that again. And all they had to do was a decent ending. Not one where Shepard would invariably live, but at least one where players could understand what the hell just happened! Expand
  92. Mar 13, 2012
    I thought ME1 it was a brilliant start to a great new franchise with loads of potential. ME2 was watered down to the point where I barely wanted to play it. I hoped it was just the sophomore slump so I slogged my way through it. But ME3 I just cannot play. It runs rough around the edges and is really just an even more watered down version of the game I was hoping for overall. Think back to ME1 everybody...now think about your experience with ME3. Ya, it's not good for ME3. IDK what else to say that hasn't been said, and I can't think of anyone I'd recommend this game to. Expand
  93. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let first say that I am a HUGE fan of this series, it was an amazing exploration of concept of making choices and how those choices shape the game you play. It was a true Space Opera that had characters that for the first time, made me 'feel' for them. I cared what happened to these characters, kudos to the voice actors for literally breathing life into these great characters. This game, allowed me to craft a character that made the impossible possible...s/he was a character that was a SOLDIER who NEVER gave up...who always strives to do what it right. This game allowed us to make choices and those choices affected each of the previous game's endings. I was hoping for more of the same in ME3. For the most part, I got it...however, at the very end of the game...the tone of the game changed. The Shepard I had roll-played up until the last 10 minutes of the game, ceased to exist, and what I was left with was a doppelganger...it looked like my Shepard, but this character gave up. This Shepard did NOT fight until the end...This Shepard 'accepted' fate. The last 10 minutes of this game was so out of character, so artistically different from what came before it, then I lost my immersion. It was so out of sync with what I had played before that all I was left with was a WTF in my mind eye. I found that I did not want to even finish the game out. These last minutes felt like they belonged to another game entirely. There were so many plot holes that the entire ending sequence felt unpolished, rushed, and tacked on. I swore I could see the gum, duct tape, and baling wire holding things together. I can understand artistic license to change things as you see fit...but this? It was thematically different enough that for me, I could not believe that this had been approved. THESE last 10 minutes of the game, changed what would have been an easy 9 score from me to a 1. Disappointment doesn't even come close to the feelings I had upon the completion of the game...and the Stargazer was also and odd choice. Why couldn't I get scenes showing where the rest of my crew went? How about a scene honoring Shepard for what they did for the Galaxy? This ending ruins this 3rd game, and nearly ruins the entire trilogy...I cannot give it a score higher than a 1. Expand
  94. Jun 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3, the epic finale to one of best sci fi trilogies created. The finale though, completely ruins what was one of the best series ever. It's not just the ending. Although yes the ending destroys all semblance of immersion, canon, good story telling, and much more, it's not only the ending that makes Mass Effect 3 a terrible conclusion. First off, the gameplay or lack thereof. The conversations are nothing like they used to be in the previous two. Whereas in the previous two you could input Shepard's descisions on the tiniest of choices, in Mass Effect 3 it's almost gone. You make some dialougue choices throughout the game, but most of the choices are made for you (I was playing on rpg mode by the way.) The quests are mainly filler consisting boring fetch quests. Although the side missions that are playable and have you on the ground are quite alot of fun to play and are the best moments in the game. Oh, and my final gripe the multiplayer. The online although alot of fun, SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN NECESSARY TO OBTAIN THE BEST ENDING IN THE SINGLEPLAYER. I remember hearing one of the developers at Bioware talk about how the multiplayer could impact the finale, but wouldn't be necessary to obtain the best ending. What happened to that? What happened to the various amounts of endings? What happened to amazing choices? What happened to Mass Effect? I don't know to be honest, but it's quite sad to see what was one of the best series in gaming from one of the most talented developers in the industry, deliver a product this... dissapointing. I remember playing the first Kotor and the first Mass Effect games, and being amazed at the amount of choices I could make, and the impact I had on the characters. Hell, in the original Kotor towards the end you could completely turn on your old squadmates and reclaim your title as Lord of the Sith with the aide of one of your former crewmates/love interest. In the original Mass Effect if you played it right you could convince of one the main villians to kill himself in order to help the galaxy. This, though is not the Bioware of Kotor or ME1. In ME3 none of your choices throughout the entire series matter when it comes to the ending. None. All you get are three different **** color explosions with the same exact pros and cons regardles of what you choose. This game was horrid. Perhaps, the ending dlc Bioware is making shall remedy the ending. Even if it does though, the dissapointment I felt while playing through Mass Effect 3 and viewing its ending shall not. I have lost a great amount of faith in Bioware as a good developer. It's sad to see what could've the most epic conclusion in gaming go so poorly. Expand
  95. Mar 17, 2012
    Waiting for the finale to the epic trilogy that is mass effect was agonizing. All the choices and hours invested over the past two games (and 5 years) were promised to carry over to the final game in a summation of our actions, good and bad, leading up to this point. This promise was completely broken as the ending played out and the obvious disregard for said promise was thrown out the window. Instead, you are presented with three choices that are all entirely too similar, rife with plot holes and inconsistencies that would make the Bush administration blush. Major decisions throughout the series were ignored, leaving the player to have no real reason to agonize over the decisions in the first place. We are not entitled, whiny gamers, but simply gamers disappointed with a promise that was not kept. Bioware, make it right. Expand
  96. Mar 19, 2012
    This was my favourite trilogy until the last 10 mins. The last 10 mins just undermined and completely destroyed a franchise. The rest of ME3 is absolubtely stellar but the last 10 mins have just absolubtely eviscerated my will to play these games ever again. Rent - do not buy.
  97. Mar 11, 2012
    Bioware just positively GUT PUNCHED every fan of this game. The whole series was a dream sequence? Really what a freaking cop out! And to get the best score you HAVE to play the IPAD and Multiplayer version? Money grubbing SOB's
  98. Mar 11, 2012
    I'm extremely disappointed with the way that DLC has been handled with ME3. While some may argue that the DLC is supplemental and the game is complete without it, as a consumer I still feel like I'm being sold an incomplete product. I feel compelled to send a message to publishers and developers that some consumers won't stand for this. Its a pity, as I enjoyed ME1 and 2.
  99. Mar 13, 2012
    I first thought that people were trolling the user scores on Metacritic. Unfortunately this third installment of the game blows big time. If this was a standalone product I would give it a 7 (it's not utterly rubbish when compared to games like Rogue Warrior or Brink). However as a game that is supposed to be a Mass Effect game I am giving it a big ZERO!
    This game does not live up to what
    it says on the tin. Expand

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.