5.7

1. Mar 12, 2012
    I pre-ordered this POS. I love the story and the Lore of this universe. I have never felt so cheated as I did when I found out about the Day 1 DLC. When EA admitted that the CORE aspects of the DLC had been integrated in the the game prior to certification, I wanted to return the game for a refund. I feel like EA took advantage of my loyalty and attempted to exploit it. So uncool EA..I pre-ordered this POS. I love the story and the Lore of this universe. I have never felt so cheated as I did when I found out about the Day 1 DLC. When EA admitted that the CORE aspects of the DLC had been integrated in the the game prior to certification, I wanted to return the game for a refund. I feel like EA took advantage of my loyalty and attempted to exploit it. So uncool EA.. Soo... UnCool Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't come here to flame. I don't want to rant. I just...I don't really know what to say. I'm hurt, I'm disappointed, and I wish desperately that the game could have ended any other way. Everything else about the game and the series was quite simply, amazing...but the end.

To say it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth is an understatement. As a fan of the series since the moment I picked up the xbox controller and started playing Mass Effect back in 2007, I really just can't feel anything but dissatisfied. Mass Effect was and still is my favorite game of all time. Mass Effect 2, less so (removal of many RPG elements, etc.) but that aside, Mass Effect 3 rekindled my hope that the series may end on a high note after all. The whole theme of the story was hope and survival. To fight, or find another way when there seemed to be no other option. So when the ending of it all boiled down to 3 horrible choices, I was crushed.

There were so many moments in this game that made me feel something. Made me feel connected to the characters. Whether it was the depth of Shepard's love for Liara, his brotherly comradery and heart-to-hearts with Garrus and Kaidan, or his hatred for Kei Leng and the utter crushing blow of the defeat at Thessia, I felt something. And the dream sequences! They were a beautiful and haunting representation of what the stress must have been on Shepard. But through it all, there was emotional attachment and investment. I felt connected to Shepard. I was vicariously saving the galaxy. As a game design student, I can't overstate how incredible that is. That I became so attached to these characters, to this galaxy, so invested in this game. It was nothing short of incredible, but the same cannot be said for the ending. The ending made me feel too. It made me feel sick. I felt physically ill from the moment Shepard was blasted by Harbinger to the very end of the game. All that hope and sheer force of will...for what? For Shepard to just die like that? He deserves better. The galaxy deserves better. But he stands. He's still alive, if barely. There's still hope right? Then the Marauder. They're just toying with me now. Drawing out this agony. Why?! Then the Citadel. Anderson. I almost had to expect that to happen. I can accept it with a heavy heart. But I did all I possibly could to secure a good ending. But he can't reach the console. He can't be dead. So close. But wait. A light. Now he's on top of the Citadel...ok. Maybe there's still hope. The little kid? What is this? This is the Catalyst? Some cosmic force that created and controls the Reapers. That instantiated the cycle of extinction you're fighting against. And you're supposed to take him at his word when he tells you what to do? Just like that? No "find another way"? Shepard just takes this thing that's tried to kill him at its word and believes in what it has to say?

And it all came down to those 3 horrible choices.

Go back on everything you stood for and try to control the creatures you swore to destroy, ending your own life in the process.

Somehow re-write the DNA of every living thing in the galaxy to achieve synergy with the synthetics? I'm not even going to go into how ridiculous and impossible that is. Oh yeah and that one kills Shepard outright too.

Or, you can shoot the tube-thingy and kill the Reapers. Everything's cool right? Oh wait, that one kills all the synthetics in the galaxy. You're now effectively betraying EDI and dishonoring Legion's memory, not to mention screwing over the Quarians in their effort to settle Rannoch once again.

Oh and to make this choice even more horrible and heart-crushing, every choice results in the destruction of not only the Citadel, but all the relays, effectively destroying the galaxy as you know it. The government will inevitably collapse and all the species are now stranded on Earth, where they fought the Reapers, or on their own homeworld or colony, cut off from the rest of the galaxy.

No matter how you slice it, the end is a defeat. The galaxy is doomed without the relays.

And then you get to watch color-coded cutscenes with very little variation. Joker leaves Shepard for dead on the Citadel, uncharacteristically fleeing the battle and somehow, Liara, who was with Shepard on the ground, is now stranded with Joker on some alien planet, doomed to a slow death when the Normandy crash lands.

And the best ending this game can muster for all my efforts acquiring war assets and galactic readiness? Shepard, god knows where, laying in some pile of rubble...takes a breath. How? How would he have survived the explosion on the Citadel? Where the heck did he end up? I don't get it. I'm utterly crushed by how horrible this ending is.

Had the ending been good, I would undoubtedly have given this game a 10. It was a masterpiece...until the end. It's like the Mona Lisa...with black paint splashed across it. I'm heart-broken.
  3. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been the crowning achievement in regards to RPG gaming. A game that ends a fantastic sci-fi tale that you can craft over the course of three fantastic games. Every minute of playing this game was a joy. The sorrow and triumph was all I could have asked for and more...until the end. Which utterly erases all the 100's hours of work you have placed in this game. There is no closure, you never find out what your sacrifice brings, aside from the total destruction of the galaxy. All the deeds are turned to dust in less than ten minutes. I must salute you Bioware, you killed the greatest video game trilogy in under ten minutes, bravo. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Such a big letdown, emotionally. Everything just feels off. Earth is under attack but shephard has time for just about anything. And the ending is easily the most dissapointing I have experienced. Not the choices you get to make, but the followup... what happened to all of the people you met, a simple text dialouge would have sufficed. But no, normandy crashes, some survives - the end. Ofcourse the game has great gameplay and the multiplayer is addictive. (though there should have been coop campaignmode aswell, cheap bioware) But from the buildup of the first two games, this third part could not live up to its expectations. Expand
  5. Mar 15, 2012
    Where do I begin? As a big fan of Mass Effect, seeing this game and what it has become from the masterpiece of the original is saddening. BioWare and their EA Overlords first had day one dlc that they claimed was made after the fact but it has been emperically proven that the character is on the disk and can/could be unlocked simply by moving coding around. It was a lie. EmpericallyWhere do I begin? As a big fan of Mass Effect, seeing this game and what it has become from the masterpiece of the original is saddening. BioWare and their EA Overlords first had day one dlc that they claimed was made after the fact but it has been emperically proven that the character is on the disk and can/could be unlocked simply by moving coding around. It was a lie. Emperically demonstrated, yet for some unknown reason the 'objective' gaming media pays it no credence...in fact...they have the audacity to tell us to stop complaining. More on that in a bit. When I purchase something and enter into a legal contract, i expect full content for what I paid for. First and foremost. The gameplay itself is a complete transformation into Gears of War, and as an rpg fan who does not like shooters, cause if I did I'd play them, its frustrating seeing that genre completely destroy gameplay in Mass Effect 3. Didn't that genre have enough sci-fi games? Exploration is non-existent, level design is linear and uninspired, although variety in theme setting is good. But its point A to point B, all of the time. Or hold a certain position while getting swarmed by wave after wave of enemies. Which is ok as a part of gameplay, but without open exploration to counteract and balance this it soon becomes an extreme bore. Biotics are good, particularly the sound of Singularity when it dissapates, but overall shooting non-stop at baddies is super boring. Weapon upgrades and modifications are much welcomed, yet far too simplistic to truly appeal to the vast amount of gamers who like the customization of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a robust and epic rpg that sold amazingly well. The loot system is an absolute joke and an insult...most loot is lying right where you can see it in the middle of the floor or highlighted across the room so you'd be a moron if you couldn't find it. As a result, finding items is way too easy, yet it is surprisingly and frustratingly hard to keep track of what you got because there is zero inventory. Zero. And its ridiculous. Sure, the Normandy stores that info, but I'm only on the Normandy half the time, if that. The loot system is a complete insult to rpg vets. Technical issues abound, and while some can be overlooked as natural flaws, some are inexcusable. Face importing didn't work (or was intentionally neglected), faces vanished completely from cutscenes for the entire cutscene, and at times lip syncing was off completely. But where this game falls on its face, and this is contributed a lot to the departure of the Mass Effect IP's true writing talent, Drew Karpyshyn, was the writing. To appeal to the masses, Mass Effect's writing is dumbed down considerably, witholding player dialogue options from scenes, auto-dialogue from Commander Shepard much more prevalent, and eye-roll worthy 'dudebro' one liners that made me feel like Shepard evolved into Keeanu Reeves. The plot had some interesting aspects and there were some emotional scenes and nice touches sprinkled in that triggered emotion, but as a whole the plot is incoherent, poorly written and not enough focus or dialogue is given to the main antagonist. Too much tried to be done at once, and it made for a sloppy mess. The ending....honestly....may have been one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever seen, let alone in science fiction. For a video game, if you never played Mass Effect, you might like it. But for an intelligent individual who knows what Mass Effect is and knows a good ending (Mass Effect 2's ending literally being perfect), this one was wo bad that you want to grasp at anything you can in your mind to justify its drivel. It's that bad. And I understand the attempt...just....no. It was horrendous.

Let's not forget the lack of choices affecting anything, either. You will throughout the game wee choices you made, major ones, in previous games mean absolutely nothing as you see the canon version streamlined back in, with weak writing supporting the negation of your choice. It's a slap in the face, and a lie told by the developer. Also, none of your choices mean anything whatsoever. In the end, Mass Effect 3 was a downright bad and disappointing game, crippling the entire franchise with it because of its failure if epic proportions in the climax and writing, boring, repetitive gameplay, lack of polish and the lies told by the developer to fans everywhere. And gaming media...supply and demand is a two way street....customers can say what they want, how they want,when they want. Do an article how developers aren't entitled to customer money.

Avoid this game at all costs. Do not buy, you WILL regret it. Garaunteed.
  6. Mar 9, 2012
    The game was fun up until the end, at which point, the fun stopped, and the crushing disappointment set in. Not a proper way to end the trilogy in the least, and all the more disappointing given the quality of the rest of the game.
  7. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was awesome. With very few flaws.

1. Shepard talks for himself WAY TO MUCH.

2. They kill off key characters that you should have the ability to save or let them die.

3. The game is half as long as the previous two games. This is fine however since the game is so replayable and delicious.

"So why are you rating the game zero?"

Because this game had the most disappointing ending I have ever seen. It was the most disappointing thing that has ever happened in my life (No exaggeration) Everything you have ever done is absolutely pointless at the end of this game; it almost feels like a dream because it is so bad.

I have no idea how Bioware thought this was a good idea. I would think at least one Bioware employee would be like 'These ending are going to ruin the entire franchise." But no. I hate my life right now, and I hate Bioware.

I would spend 4000MP on alternate DLC endings, but sadly Bioware is to proud of themselves to let it happen.

In order for me not to kill myself I had to create my own ending in my mind, that is how bad these ending are. I had 20+ characters waiting to be imported to ME3 and now it all seems worthless :(

Bioware you officially got 99.9% right, and 0.01% Unforgivably, it was the 0.01% that counted the most, see you in hell Bioware. Signed Cmdr. Shepard
  8. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass effect 3 a epic conclusion? More like a epic disappointment.
    I felt that the ending was a major slap in my face and leave a bitter taste
    in your mouth!
  9. Mar 12, 2012
    The game was excellent, with more in depth side quests and far better combat than even the second game. The battles were challenging and as epic as one would expect for the finale of the Mass Effect series. Up until the last 10 minutes. The AI child refers to itself as both "I" and "we". They couldn't even proofread the ending script. That's not the worst part. Yes, the endings areThe game was excellent, with more in depth side quests and far better combat than even the second game. The battles were challenging and as epic as one would expect for the finale of the Mass Effect series. Up until the last 10 minutes. The AI child refers to itself as both "I" and "we". They couldn't even proofread the ending script. That's not the worst part. Yes, the endings are depressing. I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is the fact the ending contains major, obtrusive plot holes. Characters who are with you in the final battle someone come back from the dead and end up on the Normandy, which is for some reason in the midst of running from some random beam of color, in the span of 5 minutes. Really? Furthermore, the same characters are shown in flashbacks at the end, no matter if they've been dead since the second game or they're not even you love interest. That's just looking at the game alone. Comparing it to the rest of the series, the ending does not make sense. It is not artistic. It's not bad because its a tragic ending. It doesn't mesh with the story leading up to it. Why, if the citadel controls the reapers, did it not just allow them to jump in during the events of the first game? The ending is so bad that I regret giving $60 to EA/Bioware. I don't want to pay for DLC with a better ending. I expect to to not fork out $60 for a game with a nonsensical half-assed ending to a series that I spent well over 200 hours and $200 on. I gave the game a +1 since the first 99% of it was excellent. The ending was worth -9 though. Do not buy. Just replay the first and second games and save yourself the money. Expand
  10. Mar 11, 2012
    What's behind the puzzling endings for such a great game series. Were they artificially trying to make people feel from their game? Were they trying to keep any new games from being made with the same characters? I am not a bot. I am not a EA hater. I am not part of some vast conspiracy. I just hate the endings. If they would fix the endings. I would change my score. But they wont and iWhat's behind the puzzling endings for such a great game series. Were they artificially trying to make people feel from their game? Were they trying to keep any new games from being made with the same characters? I am not a bot. I am not a EA hater. I am not part of some vast conspiracy. I just hate the endings. If they would fix the endings. I would change my score. But they wont and i wont. It deserves a 8 it gets a 2 for such really stupid endings. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the sublime perfection that was Mass Effect 2, this game was such a huge disappointment. For starters you're forced to play multiplayer in order to boost your "Galactic Readiness", a score used to determine how likely you are to succeed in defeating the Reapers (the main villians of the Mass Effect trilogy). Even though I completed every side mission I could find (some I could not finish due to bugs) it wasn't enough to get over 4000 needed for Shepard to survive (I was stuck at 3,800-odd). Another disappointment was the lack of returning characters from ME2. Most of the characters popped up during the course of the game, but there was very little chance to interact with them. Worse, the few characters that could be interacted with rarely had dialogue trees where you could choose what to say to them, instead the dialogue was entirely fixed. There were some nice moments, like the interactions with Joker and EDI, but overall this game disappoints compared to ME2. Finally, by far the biggest problem are the endings. At the end you are given the choice of three endings, but all of them are utterly terrible. As the conclusion to a trilogy, this is hugely disappointing. After all the blood, guts and tears the story deserved a much better ending than the ones offered. I would be willing to pay good money for Bioware to make a new ending and release it as DLC. SO DISAPPOINTING. :( Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. True Mass Effect fans fell in love with this series based on a few truths: Story, emotional character development, choices that have dramatic impact, and massive replayability. I feel robbed, sorely beaten out of lack of writing talent. Because let's be honest, gameplay has and still is sub-par. Not that it's terrible, just not as smooth as it should be after three installments. Gameplay should have been perfected In ME2, but instead we got sloppy mini-games, flimsy gun control, and miserable level design that completely negated the "exploration" theme of ME1. So why did we look over these flaws? Simple; the Truths that made us fall for the series in the first place. ME2 had those ever so important elements. ME3, unfortunately, does not. It plays more like a half attempted film where the conclusion is affected minimally by your choices throughout the games. What's more, is all that talk of "choices truly effect the story", have very little to do with the most important part of the series; the ending! Some elements are welcome. You can find weapons everywhere! Which, for me, almost completley made me have no reason to actually buy a weapon. But I like going to merchants and browse around. The relationships did not seem as genuine as before. Sometimes when my love interest said something "sweet" to me, it was difficult to realize that's what they were going for. I guess they didn't want to strain their actors voices, because I'm sure there was no attempt to re-record lines with a different " emotional" response. Most of the "love interest" scenes got really lost in translation, and came off very generic. I'm not going to spoil anything, but your love interests are LIMITED! When I say that I mean anyone from previous games are much smaller than it should. This should have been a hard decision on who to go with, but the developers make it painfully easy. BY LIMITING THE CANDIDATES!!!!! Robbed! That's all I can really say. The cinematics are beautiful, and the new worlds also reflect am artists masterpiece, but vanity only goes so far, and you can't put lipstick on a pig and call it a model. I mean it just is not the hype, at all. The new elements, though some are cool( weapon mods) though others not ( what is this reaper mini-game crap?!?! Huh?!?!) simply do not outway the huge fail to the fans. "Oh, yeah, I forgot; your decisions actually have no real effect, with any substance, at all, on the end game. We are just going to give you a few generic options that aren't really that different. Except for color!" I'm expecting this in a news conference with Bioware in the near future. And you'll figure out what I'm talking about soon enough. Just remember to save before the end game. And aim your controller away from the glass window. You have already spent enough on the game, don't let it cost you a window repair too! Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    A fantastic game series totally obliterated by one of the most banal, non-sensical endings in history. If the lame ending of Dragon Age 2 pissed you off, the ending of ME3 will prompt you to send your PC tower flying through the window and skidding into the street, where you will leave it in hopes of being run over by a car so you might be able to forget this entire series existed. I'm soA fantastic game series totally obliterated by one of the most banal, non-sensical endings in history. If the lame ending of Dragon Age 2 pissed you off, the ending of ME3 will prompt you to send your PC tower flying through the window and skidding into the street, where you will leave it in hopes of being run over by a car so you might be able to forget this entire series existed. I'm so goddamned disappointed. Expand
  14. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is worse than bad, it's insulting. As a long time fan of the series, I feel betrayed. Aside from the absolute pants on head retarded conclusion, the writing, voice acting, textures and animations have all gone to hell. None of our choices mattered in the end. It's been casualized and sexualized to death, in the laziest way possible. Look at Tali's face. I honestly wouldn't haveThis game is worse than bad, it's insulting. As a long time fan of the series, I feel betrayed. Aside from the absolute pants on head retarded conclusion, the writing, voice acting, textures and animations have all gone to hell. None of our choices mattered in the end. It's been casualized and sexualized to death, in the laziest way possible. Look at Tali's face. I honestly wouldn't have cared if it wasn't aesthetically appealing. But the fact that they used a badly shopped STOCK PHOTO to reveal the likeness of one of the most speculated about and beloved characters IN THE SERIES, is a testament to how little bioware cares. And why would they? No matter how terrible a triple A release is, "critics" will praise it to no end, and the masses will take their word for it. This is why game journalism is a joke; it's all just thinly veiled marketing. And about the multiplayer pass and day one DLC? The game should come with a "parts sold seperately" sticker. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2012
    If you are a Mass Effect fan, DO NOT play this game. After building to what looked to be an incredible, epic conclusion to one of the best videogame trilogies of all time, Bioware has instead released an utter disappointment. While combat and characters may be decent, the horrific ending ruins the entire mass effect saga.
  16. Mar 11, 2012
    I have never been so upset with a form of entertainment in my life. I've disliked books, movies, and games before, but I have never been so disappointed that I felt inspired to review it. The game is amazing until the last 15minutes. And those last 15minutes are so incredibly bad that it ruins the game. It's so disheartening and unexpected that I cannot bring myself to play the gameI have never been so upset with a form of entertainment in my life. I've disliked books, movies, and games before, but I have never been so disappointed that I felt inspired to review it. The game is amazing until the last 15minutes. And those last 15minutes are so incredibly bad that it ruins the game. It's so disheartening and unexpected that I cannot bring myself to play the game again. It has ruined the series for me. I don't even know if I can play ME1 or ME2 again, because in the end nothing matters and you end up with more questions than answer and zero closure. Also, dear Bioware, not all of us enjoy investing hours in a game franchise to be left empty, hollow, and depressed. Why not just say hope is a lie? Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2012
    I've never had my love for an entire game series completely negated by the last games ending. I've never felt so.... ****ing angry about an ending that I considered immediately trading my Collectors edition back in for almost anything else... And I bought Fable 3.

From game one of Mass Effect it was said that our choices matter; and that importing your character from ME1 to ME3 would create stacked outcomes...

And yet none of that was true. It was said that playing Multiplater wasn't needed to get the best possible ending. But that wasn't true either. I completed every side-quest and was a full paragon... And the ending sucked.

What a slap in the face *Bioware.* I'm now embarressed by how excited I was for this game. Because the ending has completely ruined my experience
  18. Mar 16, 2012
    The game is absolutely top notch until the ending is reached and you're presented with 3 choices. 3 choices which completely dismiss any decisions you've made prior in any of the 3 games. There are 3 ending scenes with no closure and a convoluted, out of character plot which disregard the franchises key themes. This destroys any motivation you may have to replay this game-or any of theThe game is absolutely top notch until the ending is reached and you're presented with 3 choices. 3 choices which completely dismiss any decisions you've made prior in any of the 3 games. There are 3 ending scenes with no closure and a convoluted, out of character plot which disregard the franchises key themes. This destroys any motivation you may have to replay this game-or any of the other ME games. Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2012
    It is the most beautifully crafted sci fi game i've ever played in my life, story/gameplay/graphics all came together in one unforgettable experience ... right until last 10 min.
  20. Mar 21, 2012
    I am a big fan of the series and even bought my first 360 to play the original on release. I have had some minor complaints about the series on the way but I never voiced them as they were minor inconsistencies and things that didn't really matter. However, the last 10 minutes of this game ruin the experience as a whole for me. It even makes playing the previous installments of the gameI am a big fan of the series and even bought my first 360 to play the original on release. I have had some minor complaints about the series on the way but I never voiced them as they were minor inconsistencies and things that didn't really matter. However, the last 10 minutes of this game ruin the experience as a whole for me. It even makes playing the previous installments of the game painful, know that no matter what you do, you will be pigeonholed into three, essentially identical and equally lame endings. If not for the ending this game would be at the very top of my list of favorite games. Expand
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    Let me just start by saying that Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games I've ever played until more and less 20 min before the end. Unlike the criticism that your ME1 and ME2 choices didn't matter much in ME3, I think that BioWare made a terrific effort in taking into account all your choices and delivering you some rather unexpected consequences for them (save for some minor plot gaps,Let me just start by saying that Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games I've ever played until more and less 20 min before the end. Unlike the criticism that your ME1 and ME2 choices didn't matter much in ME3, I think that BioWare made a terrific effort in taking into account all your choices and delivering you some rather unexpected consequences for them (save for some minor plot gaps, i.e., I romanced Liara in ME1 and again in ME2 in the Shadow Broker DLC, but when I reunite with her in ME3 she says that we haven't been together in years. wtf?). Again, this applies only if you exclude those last 20 minutes. For those who have been following the series since ME1, the game is an emotional roller coaster that delivers several truly memorable moments (sad, hopeful and hilarious) in a way that truly represents the unique spirit of the series. In fact, there are several missions in which I felt that my previous actions actually mattered for the story (e.g., curing/sabotaging the genophage, the krogan-turian aliance, the war between the geth and quarians, etc). But then again, all of this only applies before those last 20 min. After this moment, its a freakin downhill ride in plot quality. Even though I seem to felt that my actions would actually have big consequences, the end boils down to a deus ex machina plot device, delivering three options none of which my Shepard would take. What's more, these three options are regardless of any previous choices that I've made and their outcome is nearly the same but with different colors (oh, and there is a variation where earth is destroyed and not saved). The ending also does not deliver a single bit of closure to the Shepard's story. If these endings are supposed to be very open so that "our imagination can complete the rest", I wouldn't need to play the whole damn game in the first place! I could have just imagine how it would end from ME2! If I'm playing a trilogy until the end, I would expect (at least!) to know what the hell happened, because I sure did not understand what happened next. In the supposed perfect ending, Shepard seems to survive a massive explosion of the citadel (as shown by a 10sec footage of him coffing in a pile of rubble) but how?! And how did my teammates made it to the normandy in time (seemingly in perfect condition when they get out to the tropical planet) and why is joker fleeing at full speed from the "blast wave" from the mass relays? In the Arrival DLC, we are told that the destruction of a mass relay would wipe out the entire system it orbits, which means that earth was also wiped out by the mass relay in the Sol system?! But apparently the soldiers on earth seem to survive... A so joker is running from...? what? Whether you control or destroy the reapers or you chose synthesis, the outcome of those choices is exactly the same for me, because we get to know so little about what happens in the future! And don't tell me it is supposed to be THAT open, unless BioWare is thinking of making a new game that resumes from those disparate resolutions in three whole new different ways, which is unlikely. I loved the game until that final mission, where I just stared at the TV trying to digest such a bad plot ending and getting absolutely no satisfaction at all. I usually finish ME games twice (paragorn and renegade), but ME3 is so emotionally taxing in the end and leaves such a depressing feeling, that I am not sure that I'll be able to go through that again. And all they had to do was a decent ending. Not one where Shepard would invariably live, but at least one where players could understand what the hell just happened! Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3, the epic finale to one of best sci fi trilogies created. The finale though, completely ruins what was one of the best series ever. It's not just the ending. Although yes the ending destroys all semblance of immersion, canon, good story telling, and much more, it's not only the ending that makes Mass Effect 3 a terrible conclusion. First off, the gameplay or lack thereof. TheMass Effect 3, the epic finale to one of best sci fi trilogies created. The finale though, completely ruins what was one of the best series ever. It's not just the ending. Although yes the ending destroys all semblance of immersion, canon, good story telling, and much more, it's not only the ending that makes Mass Effect 3 a terrible conclusion. First off, the gameplay or lack thereof. The conversations are nothing like they used to be in the previous two. Whereas in the previous two you could input Shepard's descisions on the tiniest of choices, in Mass Effect 3 it's almost gone. You make some dialougue choices throughout the game, but most of the choices are made for you (I was playing on rpg mode by the way.) The quests are mainly filler consisting boring fetch quests. Although the side missions that are playable and have you on the ground are quite alot of fun to play and are the best moments in the game. Oh, and my final gripe the multiplayer. The online although alot of fun, SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN NECESSARY TO OBTAIN THE BEST ENDING IN THE SINGLEPLAYER. I remember hearing one of the developers at Bioware talk about how the multiplayer could impact the finale, but wouldn't be necessary to obtain the best ending. What happened to that? What happened to the various amounts of endings? What happened to amazing choices? What happened to Mass Effect? I don't know to be honest, but it's quite sad to see what was one of the best series in gaming from one of the most talented developers in the industry, deliver a product this... dissapointing. I remember playing the first Kotor and the first Mass Effect games, and being amazed at the amount of choices I could make, and the impact I had on the characters. Hell, in the original Kotor towards the end you could completely turn on your old squadmates and reclaim your title as Lord of the Sith with the aide of one of your former crewmates/love interest. In the original Mass Effect if you played it right you could convince of one the main villians to kill himself in order to help the galaxy. This, though is not the Bioware of Kotor or ME1. In ME3 none of your choices throughout the entire series matter when it comes to the ending. None. All you get are three different **** color explosions with the same exact pros and cons regardles of what you choose. This game was horrid. Perhaps, the ending dlc Bioware is making shall remedy the ending. Even if it does though, the dissapointment I felt while playing through Mass Effect 3 and viewing its ending shall not. I have lost a great amount of faith in Bioware as a good developer. It's sad to see what could've the most epic conclusion in gaming go so poorly. Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2012
    Bioware just positively GUT PUNCHED every fan of this game. The whole series was a dream sequence? Really what a freaking cop out! And to get the best score you HAVE to play the IPAD and Multiplayer version? Money grubbing SOB's
  24. Mar 11, 2012
    I'm extremely disappointed with the way that DLC has been handled with ME3. While some may argue that the DLC is supplemental and the game is complete without it, as a consumer I still feel like I'm being sold an incomplete product. I feel compelled to send a message to publishers and developers that some consumers won't stand for this. Its a pity, as I enjoyed ME1 and 2.
  25. Mar 11, 2012
    Ugh, made my first review ever on Metacritic, and gave ME3 a 5/10, but forgot to set the slider. So the text of the review says 5/10, but the review itself is 10. So I will make this a 0/10, to average the two out to 5/10, which was what I intended.
  26. Mar 12, 2012
    I experienced quite a few bugs, which did impact game, dialogue not working right, etc. Bottom line regardless of what you think of the endings, the build up to the "final" battle was suppose to be the best part "Save Earth", don't bother playing after 20 hours its just not worth it. Think Halo2, its just a joke how awful the back end of this game is, the missions are pathetic, theI experienced quite a few bugs, which did impact game, dialogue not working right, etc. Bottom line regardless of what you think of the endings, the build up to the "final" battle was suppose to be the best part "Save Earth", don't bother playing after 20 hours its just not worth it. Think Halo2, its just a joke how awful the back end of this game is, the missions are pathetic, the content on earth is short, and really just a total let down. So the end gameplay sucks, nothing interesting, or at least content that tries to differentiate itself from bulk, its all bland and boring. Which makes the ending options really forgettable, there is no point in playing through the game differently. So to recap, after the initial sequence on earth, there is nothing emotionally driven about the content, its all vapor, there is no challenging sections (scaled for difficulty), and the endings are loose, trival, and without an emotional connection to tie things apart, or together. I could care less if my character is killed, but its the story that ties the content together and there IS NO STORY to feed off of, 2/3 of the game had me in tears, i blew through the dialogue toward the latter stages and ending because there was nothing there. what a waste of time. I picked up ME series late, after all the DLC hit for ME2, so I knew it was a long slog and a wait to see ME3, but the content for ME2, knowing full well the inconclusive nature was much better than the, "climax" of ME3. If the bar is set high, then sometimes you get hit with the bar, I had more fun toward the end of Kingdoms of Amalur, than this game, which is a terrible mocking. ME3 end with bad taste, disappointment, and general disgust, and not cause of how the game ended, but the quality of the final battle, the lack of emotional/character content, and the complete package just sinks after such a great start. Expand
  27. Mar 13, 2012
    I have to say the Mass Effect series was a masterpiece. Up until the last 10 minutes of the 3rd game. The ending in Mass Effect 3 has quite literally ruined the whole franchise for me. The ending made all the other games seem absolutely pointless to me. Seeing how nothing I did in the other games mattered in the end. I have to give it to Bioware, it must take careful planning on there partI have to say the Mass Effect series was a masterpiece. Up until the last 10 minutes of the 3rd game. The ending in Mass Effect 3 has quite literally ruined the whole franchise for me. The ending made all the other games seem absolutely pointless to me. Seeing how nothing I did in the other games mattered in the end. I have to give it to Bioware, it must take careful planning on there part to be able to make a Bioware fanboy, who's favorite game series of all time was Mass Effect, completely hate their company and will never buy another Bioware product again. That is even before I realized that the "From Ashes Mission" was day one DLC we did not get for free. Bioware should be ashamed of what they have become. EA sell outs who have ruined every big game series they have done now, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars The Old Republic. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    A great game up until the point when you reach the ending. Bioware improve the game play and did a great job in closing all the sub plot of the game. Even the minor characters of the first two games have a role in Mass Effect 3, but the grand finale of the story is just awful. On top of that, Bioware lied (again) to the fans. Despite what they said, itâ
  29. Mar 13, 2012
    im not a big writer so ill be short(ish). while the game starts off okey, beware its not gonna stay that way. it is plagued by bad lip sinking, technical hick ups, underdeveloped story arcs and general sloppy writing. ive heard many people nowadays say things like a patch will fix it. in my earlier years(im 27 years old now) it was never okey that a game had bug (some of which are gameim not a big writer so ill be short(ish). while the game starts off okey, beware its not gonna stay that way. it is plagued by bad lip sinking, technical hick ups, underdeveloped story arcs and general sloppy writing. ive heard many people nowadays say things like a patch will fix it. in my earlier years(im 27 years old now) it was never okey that a game had bug (some of which are game breaking. but nowadays the ''profesional'' reviewers are not to be trusted anymore this is the reason i signed up here today cuz i feel people should be warned about this ''game'' i was a big bioware fan owning all the games and dlc. was being the word, this game has killed that love off after the disaster they called dragon age 2, and the deafening silence of bioware on the fans negative rections. also alot has been said on the ending, ill just say that it feels like the ending belongs in another game its just bad and rushed. and as a result makes no sense.â Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2012
    This game was so not what I wanted Mass Effect 3 to be that I was actually shedding tears of frustration by the end of it. As the story unfolded, I lost control of the Shepard I'd spent hours and hours creating through the first two games as he continually did and said things my Shepard would never have done, without any input from me. The narrative has a couple of really goodThis game was so not what I wanted Mass Effect 3 to be that I was actually shedding tears of frustration by the end of it. As the story unfolded, I lost control of the Shepard I'd spent hours and hours creating through the first two games as he continually did and said things my Shepard would never have done, without any input from me. The narrative has a couple of really good highlights, but is weak on the whole, and the available endings are not only dissatisfying, but in many ways nonsensical. The visual and sound design are strong, but aren't enough to carry the rest. Were it not the conclusion to one of the most promising video game franchises of all time, I'd say this game was simply unremarkable. But it is, and it's beyond disappointing, offering me nothing of what I loved from ME1 but lip service. Mass Effect 3 will be remembered in infamy, if at all, and it's release definitely heralds a truth I've been fearing: the death of the Bioware I'd relied on for exceptional games. Expand
  31. Mar 13, 2012
    Bioware takes particular care in bringing everything you love about the gampley and storytelly together for most of it, but ultimately renders it unnesesary, efectively turning a "free will" experience into a in-rails ending.
  32. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was set to give this an 8, maybe higher, but the ending destroyed not only all the hard work and sacrifice my Shepard made over the first two games but my love for this series as well. To remove the choice mechanic from the very end of the game is ridiculous as it is the very thing that the series is based on. I described how it worked to people as being that with the combination of choices that could be made over the first two games then my combination was, I would hope, as unique as could possibly be in a game of this generation. That the only person playing the game I was, with my Shepard's own appearance and morality, was me. And to have that removed at the very end felt like a betrayal, like an insult, like a heartbreak. The game mechanics are fantastic, the way Shepard moves now with his combat rolls and ladder slides and his roadie-run removed my over reliance on the Adrenaline Rush power that dominated ME2 combat for me and combat felt fluid, rapid, and truly lethal when you had a kill streak running and got up close for a heavy melee move with the new omni blade. The graphics are simply beautiful. Glossy, polished and detailed in a way that gives each race a unique look and feel, not just physically but in their technology and weaponry and architecture (who wouldn't want to live on the astounding Thessia?) . The characters have never looked so good and their development over the three games is noticeable, Liara especially who went from a naive archaeologist to a hardened information broker to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of the galaxy (and with who I may be a little bit in love with). I've never played a game in 20 years of gaming that made me feel such a connection with the world and the characters. I didn't like Ashley, I felt protective of Tali, wanted to go drinking with Garrus, and wanted to just see Liara smile. It's sad and strange and weird, but it's high praise to the people who made this engaging world that people loved to spend time in and around the characters they filled it with The voice acting is top shelf again, hats off to everyone who raised the bar compared to other games like this (there aren't many). The run up to the end is one of the most exciting I've ever played, every running battle of Earth is amazing, and brings the weight of what is happening and what your fighting for right home. The interlude to talk to and say various goodbyes to your squad carries notes of finality (in retrospect I should have seen what was coming next) as they all say their goodbyes to you and leave you to fight the last big fight that up until this moment is set to be the best action set piece of the trilogy, equal parts rousing and draining where you as player and as Shepard himself have to give everything you have to finish this fight and win the day. It starts promising, running full speed towards the conduit, in an almost carbon copy sequence from ME1 before the last level. Harbinger lands in front of you and starts lancing death rays at you. Tanks and men are brushed aside with equal force leaving you running for all your might, dodging, rolling, moving ever forward towards your goal with heart pounding in chest and a yell of defiance in your throat lost among the clamour of battle you're ready to bring it all to bear on your enemy. And then the world turned upside down. The epic conclusion to the what should have been, what could have been the greatest series of games in the modern era is stolen from you. There is no face off with Harbinger, there is no gruelling fight to get to the light of morning where victory awaits, just a watered down version of the end of Dues Ex; Human Revolution where all the choices you have made over a hundred plus hours are swept aside and completely ignored. DX;HR gave a fourth option to refuse the choices given and blow it all up. ME2 killed off squad mates you couldn't keep loyal, ME1 gave the option to have Saren kill himself if you played the game right. ME3 offers you no such victory and leaves you feeling hollow and as I said earlier , betrayed. There is no way to "win" Mass Effect 3, you get no closure on your story or those of the people you've fought, sweated and bled with over the past two games and five years, no indication of who lived or died. That was the most frustrating part of the ending, I didn't know what happened to my squad and that hurt, a lot. Mass Effect is a series of games proud of it's emotional investment that it inspires players to have in the characters. Liara isn't real and doesn't love me, but she loves my Shepard, Garrus isn't my friend, but he is my Shepard's. The universe they live in isn't my home, but it is my Shepard's, and the destruction of the Mass Relays and with it them the future of the franchise is a crass move by Bioware to kill any future it might have had. Expand
  33. Mar 14, 2012
    ME1 is alot better, got to the ending and my jaw just drop..... plus day one DLC should of been added in game, if your new to ME just play the 1st and 2nd game
  34. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. !!!SPOILER ALERT!!!
    I LOVED Mass effect 3 right up until the ending which for me destroyed the replay value of the entire trilogy, since nothing I did during the three titles mattered at all in the end. It was all for nothing. The game premise is about morality, choice and submersion. You end up caring about your Shep, your crew and the entire galaxy almost like a second life outside your daily life. I know I did anyway. The concept of the game I thought, was that the choices we made helped shape the future of you as the hero, your crew and the galaxy. That idea was blown right out the airlock during the last 10 min. or so when my Shep totally caved in and accepted Star Child's three suicide choices. My Shep would never have acted like that. My Shepherd would have pulled his gun and planted on between the eyes of that stupid IA or what ever it was..I really don't know how to finish this last sentence, because the end didn't make any sense to me..I'm not really sure what happened.. Other than that, this was by far the best game in the trilogy, if it wasn't for the lazy written ending. I wanted to give this game a score of 1 just to spite EA and Bioware, but that wouldn't be fare. So I'll give it a 3. If the ending lived up to the rest of the game I would have given it a 10 no doubt.
  35. Mar 15, 2012
    The game was superb up till the final 15 minutes of the game. But, sadly the 3 choices of at the end just ruin it all. Either you get a green, orange, or blue light show. The so called illusion of choice it absent as well at the end. Giving the fans no closure because they just ended it! Just overall a disappointment because of the terrible ending.
  36. Mar 15, 2012
    It may as well have been the best game I have ever played in my life and I have been gaming all my life. Everything they do is PERFECT... until the last 10 minutes. The last 10-15min of the game is the thing I have ever come across in gaming it takes the greatest series of all time(in my mind) and just runs all 3 games into the ground for no apparent reason. Bioware has lied to andIt may as well have been the best game I have ever played in my life and I have been gaming all my life. Everything they do is PERFECT... until the last 10 minutes. The last 10-15min of the game is the thing I have ever come across in gaming it takes the greatest series of all time(in my mind) and just runs all 3 games into the ground for no apparent reason. Bioware has lied to and now turned on their fans who only ever truly cared about the ME series. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME WHATEVER YOU DO UNTIL... Bioware undoes the mistakes they made with the ending. Please don't pay them to screw over their fans.
    Thanks you everyone. :D
  37. Mar 15, 2012
    Fantastic game in almost all senses of the word. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, but then it all gets ruined by an awful ending. I mean bad. If you do buy it, stop it right after Shepard talks to his crew before the final push and don't go further.
  38. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a very entertaining game that follows closely the formula of ME2, but there are several MASSIVE PROBLEMS with it. I would recommend you do NOT purchase it at this time.

If you consider yourself a loyal fan of the series, and appreciated the direction of the stories in the previous games, there is an excellent chance you will find the endings deeply unsatisfying. There is currently a campaign underway to convince Bioware to add an alternative to the current endings. You can find out more by searching for Retake Mass Effect. Multiplayer is a component Bioware decided to include with this game. Normally this wouldn't be a concern for single player focused players, but a player's participation in MP has a direct effect on your SP experience, specifically the ending. Even if you are a completionist type of player who carefully goes through the game checking everything, you may not have enough of a certain score to achieve the "best" ending if you do not play multiplayer. For those without a reliable internet connection, this is a serious problem.

The day one DLC is a sore point for many gamers. While I would not call the content "necessary" for full enjoyment of the game, your squad would seem fairly bare without the inclusion of the character in this dlc, and considering the free squadmate offered very soon after Mass Effect 2's release, there is no reason this couldn't have been free as well (aside from corporate greed, which is exactly what this is).

Finally, a smaller complaint, but one I suspect many fans will be upset about. A certain character's true appearance is revealed in this game. If you are a long time fan you will know exactly who I speak of. Let's just say the reveal is quite disappointing, and it involves photoshop. All these issues (minus the MP) are based on my own opinions. I have been a big fan of the series since the beginning, and 99% of the trilogy has been an absolute blast. I don't expect Bioware to remove or change the offenses I have listed above, but I would sincerely appreciate an alternative. If you share my opinion on some of these missteps, I would again ask that you do not purchase the game at this time. Affecting Bioware and EA's profits is the best way to voice your opinion.
  39. Mar 20, 2012
    I have been a die hard ME fan from day one, having spent countless 100s of hours playing through nearly every class, every side mission, exploring all romances, seeing every world, and painstakingly making every choice in the anticipation of how it all would come together right now. Sadly, I share the feeling of disappointment expressed by many of my fellow gamers. ME has become a shellI have been a die hard ME fan from day one, having spent countless 100s of hours playing through nearly every class, every side mission, exploring all romances, seeing every world, and painstakingly making every choice in the anticipation of how it all would come together right now. Sadly, I share the feeling of disappointment expressed by many of my fellow gamers. ME has become a shell of what it once was. Instead of getting an in depth story with interesting characters and relationships that I care about and the feeling that every decision, both big and small, would play a part in the shape of this world, I got a straight forward action game with little depth and characters who I don't know or care about(e.g. James, Kai Leng). Every mission from beginning to end consists of your goal to gain war assets and at some point someone dies or nearly dies. Which was emotional at first, but once you realize it's happening every time it losses its affect. There is also a clear de-emphasis on everything besides the main action, you can't do a side missions until their location is unlocked through progressing in the story. Side missions consist of over hearing conversations and going to seek out what they were talking about by scanning a planet or finding it during the main quest. If the item is passed over during the main quest, though, it can be purchased cheaply later on. The other side missions have replaced the scanning/resource mini game from ME2. It is poorly executed on several phases. Before you can scan a particular planet you have to ping it, which isn't a problem unless there are reapers in the neighborhood. In which case, if you can't find it in the first few tries the reapers chase you out of the system and you have to wait before you can come back and try again. Once you ping the correct planet you have the option to scan the planet, the same as scanning planets in ME2. This is a waste of time since there is only one spot and it points you right to it and about 90% of the time it is on the opposite side of the planet. There are also no updates added to your codex or galaxy map as you attain your side mission or the items associated with them, so you will be flipping to your codex before you go to your galaxy map to find which system and planet you need to travel to, and when you find the item for the mission you'll need to either complete it immediately or have a way to remember you recovered it, otherwise there's nothing to say not to go back. The reward for completing the missions is gaining war assets which along with completing multiplayer missions affects your total readiness for the final Reaper assault. In actuality, doing these have little affect on the ending of the game, which as many have already stated is very poor. All other mini games/puzzles have been removed. There is also lack of subtlety/emphasis in your relationships with everyone around you. Very early on in the story you are either given the option or it is blatantly obvious that a particular person is going to be a romance option, and other than that, with a few exceptions (mostly Garrus and Tali), they have nothing particularly interesting to say. Multiplayer consists of a horde mode which can provide a diversion from the main story but doesn't add anything particular interesting. Biggest gripe is the randomness of unlocking new weapons/characters/perks instead of letting me use my credits to choose how I would prefer to play. The combat mechanics and graphics, aside from the ridiculous "enhanced" character models, are the best of the series, but the de-evolution of the series, the feeling of being mislead (e.g. choices affecting the game, being able to get the best ending without playing multiplayer), and the sense that a money grab played a huge part the final product (they even message they give after beating the game is more or less an urge to buy dlc) felt like a slap in the face. I understand the need to make money but not to the extent compromising the essence of something that millions of people have come to love. Expand
  40. Mar 21, 2012
    Imagine you started reading a "Choose your own adventure" series of books. Then imagine you spent $180 dollars and invested over 100+ hours into the books. Imagine that you had serious decisions to make about things such as who lives and who dies in your story. Imagine that these books were very well written and full of unique encounters and situations. Then imagine no matter whatImagine you started reading a "Choose your own adventure" series of books. Then imagine you spent $180 dollars and invested over 100+ hours into the books. Imagine that you had serious decisions to make about things such as who lives and who dies in your story. Imagine that these books were very well written and full of unique encounters and situations. Then imagine no matter what decisions you made, every storyline ended the same way with a last second twist that you didn't really even care about and contradicted all the decisions you had made previously. Would you recommend these books? Would you go back and reread the books and make different decisions knowing you were going to dislike the ending and your decisions didn't matter? That's the dilemma with Mass Effect 3. It is like reading a good book/trilogy, only to find out the author didn't know how to handle all the different possibilities and ended up with one crappy ending. Expand
  41. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, there are plot-holes galore. Huge gaping plot-holes. Squad mates who were with you on Earth magically appearing back on the Normandy. Joker randomly deciding to flee before the Crucible even goes off. Anderson saying he's behind you then magically appearing in the room ahead of you. The Illusive Man appearing on the Citadel with no explanation. Etc.

Secondly, there is a complete lack of choice as to how the game ends. Nothing you've done in the previous 120 hours has any bearing on the options available to you in the end. Nothing. Your choices did not matter at all. No matter what you did you are offered three choices as to how to finish off the Reapers. They sound different, but the only difference between the three endings is that you get to watch a different colored explosion. Really, that's it. In a series that was all about real choices with real consequences this is completely unacceptable.

Thirdly, you get no sense of closure. You watch the Reaper attack end, the Mass Relays blow up, the Normandy crash land on a planet, and possibly Shepard draw a breath, proving that he lives. Roll credits. What? Are you kidding me? Is my crew just going to die on that planet? Will Shepard ever see his love interest again? What will happen to Galactic civilization without the Mass Relays? Are all the peaces I brokered between the different races meaningless now that they're never going to see each other again? (In this way choices you made hours ago are completely negated.) What about that giant fleet that gathered at earth and is now stuck there? Are they just going to starve to death? I have no idea what the future holds for all the characters I've come to care so much about.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, the ending goes completely against everything the rest of the series has stood for. For three games Shepard has been running around trying to convince everyone to work together against a common enemy. He has forged deep friendships with members of every species and solved centuries old conflicts (including, importantly, that between the Geth and the Quarians). They drive home the point that the Protheans were doomed by their homogeneity and that this cycle has a better chance because it consists of diverse races working together. Peaceful coexistence and cooperation are encouraged again and again and again.

Then Shepard reaches the the Crucible and the Starchild says that war between synthetics and organics is inevitable. You have three choices for how to deal with this: genocide (kill all synthetics, including friendly ones, [red]), slavery (take control of the Reapers, [blue]), homogenization (merge all synthetic and organic life [green]). Shepard responds by fighting back and saying that there must be another way. His presence there is proof that cooperation is possible. He demands another solution that doesn't involve destroying the Mass Relays or synthetic allies like EDI and the Geth. Oh wait, that's not what he does at all. HE JUST GOES ALONG WITH IT AND PICKS ONE OF THE THREE AWFUL CHOICES. Are you @#$*ing kidding me Bioware? After all that Shepard just abandons everything he believes in without a fight and picks a color coded ending? This is about as believable as your whole crew suddenly turning into cowards and running away before the fight ends.

Finally, the (only) ending is incredibly negative and depressing. If you want to say that I'm whiny and want an ending that's full of rainbows and unicorns and ice cream, fine, but hear me out. First consider how bleak the existing ending really is. The Mass Relays are gone. The civilization that you've come to know is torn apart completely. All the races you've just united really aren't going to interact anymore. The giant fleet hanging over the smoking ruin that was earth has no way to get home. Are they just going to starve to death? Where the hell is your squad? Will they ever get off that jungle planet? Are Tali and Garrus just going to starve to death (they can't eat the same food as us, remember)? We're left with small numbers of survivors cut off from each other on ruined planets. Call me crazy, but I don't think this is much better than letting the damn Reapers win.

I don't object to the fact that this ending is possible. I object to the fact that its the only ending possible. As I've said, choice is a huge part of this series. If you did things a certain way in ME 1 you could convince the final boss to shoot himself in the head. If you were adequately prepared in ME 2 you could have a 100% survival rate on a "suicide mission." If I've been a solid paragon and completed every side mission for three games straight (which I did) I want the possibility of a happy ending. Screw this "the hero has to die" nonsense. This is Mass Effect! The hero doesn't "have to" anything! I want endings that differ in respects other than color of explosions, and I want at least one of them to be somewhat happy.
  42. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shoddy controls? Check. Dialogue that was written by a Neanderthal? Check. Graphics that would make 2009 blush? Check. Disk locked content that doesn't add jack **** to the experience? Check. An ending that breaks all promises made by the developers, shoddily closes Shepard's story arc, and only gives you a choose between what color explosion you get at the end? Check, check, and DOUBLE **** CHECK! Do not buy, do not borrow, do not even pirate, it is not worth the hard drive space Expand
  43. Mar 23, 2012
    Terrible ending that ruin the whole game... The three ending cinematics are barely le the sames, only the colors are different... It's really a shame... Mass effect is dead with an ending like that.
  44. kN7
    Mar 23, 2012
    Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Me thinks EA has some critics in their pockets. Did these guys even play the previous games? Did they get finished copies of the game, or did their versions end before the whole Citadel-gate fiasco?
  45. Mar 23, 2012
    This game is excellent...until the last 15 minutes or so. The ending (there is only one with different colors) destroyed one of my favorite video game franchises. Mass Effect appealed to me because the choices that you made had weight, they affected the story in a tangible way, but no matter what you did in any of the games you always get the same choice of endings. Red, blue, or green.
  46. Apr 21, 2012
    A great game, but one with an ending that is so terrible it ruins not only the whole of ME3, but of ME1 and ME2 as well. It is unfathomable how a studio like BioWare would ever think that what it incuded as the conclusion to the series would be palatable to the fans of the series who invested hundreds of hours and untold thought into tough decisions along the way. If reviewer articlesA great game, but one with an ending that is so terrible it ruins not only the whole of ME3, but of ME1 and ME2 as well. It is unfathomable how a studio like BioWare would ever think that what it incuded as the conclusion to the series would be palatable to the fans of the series who invested hundreds of hours and untold thought into tough decisions along the way. If reviewer articles included their opinions of the game's ending, score would be a lot lower. Expand
  47. Jun 14, 2012
    The ratings separation over this game tells you where the critics allegiances lie... ALL POSITIVE REVIEWS???? Give me a break - even if the ending would have been fantastic, there were still a lot of issues with the game. My biggest issue is that Mass Effect is a game of choices that all lead up to different outcomes. Both of the first games had them and that was what fans came to expect.The ratings separation over this game tells you where the critics allegiances lie... ALL POSITIVE REVIEWS???? Give me a break - even if the ending would have been fantastic, there were still a lot of issues with the game. My biggest issue is that Mass Effect is a game of choices that all lead up to different outcomes. Both of the first games had them and that was what fans came to expect. The fact that this one opted for the easy, tacked on ending just shows how rushed it was. So sad to see a stellar franchise end on such a tragic note, sacrificing creativity and quality in the face of corporate greed. It wasn't even just about the story of the ending. There is a scene where Shepard and Anderson are supposed to be looking out at a view of Earth and Anderson says "what a view" and it is literally the WORST low resolution bitmap image that I have ever seen in a game. In the ending sequence... How is that not rushed and a slap in the face to all of the people who gave them their money and trust. I truly feel sorry for the employees that worked on Mass Effect 3, knowing that it was such a bomb of a game. They likely wanted to speak up, but like many people in this economy, didn't jeopardize their jobs. Well, they have to live with that now - It probably won't be the first thing that they mention when someone asks what they worked on... Then, looking at the user reviews, you see a very different picture. Split right down the middle, with an incredible amount of negative reviews. I wonder if EA employs a division to write positive reviews to offset this. Expand
  48. Apr 20, 2012
    I have been a huge fan of this series and bought the collector's edition of all 3 games, but after finishing Mass Effect 3 I have not only lost all interest in the series, but will never be playing another BioWare game. The ending negates everything you did in all 3 games, and doesn't take into account anything that you did along the way, it just comes down to 3 arbitrary choices, all ofI have been a huge fan of this series and bought the collector's edition of all 3 games, but after finishing Mass Effect 3 I have not only lost all interest in the series, but will never be playing another BioWare game. The ending negates everything you did in all 3 games, and doesn't take into account anything that you did along the way, it just comes down to 3 arbitrary choices, all of which are bad, and make no sense. And it is too bad, because I honestly thought this was the best game I ever played until I hit the end, but seeing the 3 endings provided (really one ending with some variations) has left an empty feeling in my stomach, and ruined the entire story for me. I will not pay for any more download content (which is how the game ends telling you to wait for download content that will be coming), nor playing another BioWare game ever again. I just don't understand how the game could not only not allow the choice that the whole series is built on, but also not even seem to understand what you had accomplished in the game. If you are a fan of the series and have not picked it up, don't, let your good image of this game not be tarnished by this awful ending! Expand
  49. Mar 17, 2012
    This was to be the apex of the story. However it quickly is ruined by what Bioware and EA feel is an ending that makes "sense". There really is very little reason to complete the series as it was all for nothing. I really enjoyed the first and second games. I took the day off to get it release day and I firmly regret it. On top of this Bioware is now claiming that passionate fans areThis was to be the apex of the story. However it quickly is ruined by what Bioware and EA feel is an ending that makes "sense". There really is very little reason to complete the series as it was all for nothing. I really enjoyed the first and second games. I took the day off to get it release day and I firmly regret it. On top of this Bioware is now claiming that passionate fans are simply demanding to much when we request endings that are logical and factor in our choices. This game like its creator and publisher didn't deliver and hence my rating. Expand
  50. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the ending to an incredible series of sci-fi games, and it falls short of being anything but a money-grab by EA/Bioware.

Pros: its a video game. Cons: weird character animations, incredibly annoying camera angles during cut-scenes, too many FMV cut-scenes ruin the pacing, choppy frame rates, laughable and childish dialogue, hit or miss voice acting, out-dated graphics

Pros: its a video game.

Cons: weird character animations, incredibly annoying camera angles during cut-scenes, too many FMV cut-scenes ruin the pacing, choppy frame rates, laughable and childish dialogue, hit or miss voice acting, out-dated graphics and textures, generic 3rd person shooter combat is outdated and "rusty", no attempt at being "scientific" like the last 2 games, most RPG elements are gone, no holstering your weapon, barely any dialogue choices, horrible story and narrative...

here, how about a shorter list:

1. Mass Effect 3 is an incomplete, falling-apart-at-the-seams game, piggybacked onto a massively popular franchise simply to sell it to fans of the series.

2. The ending is atrociously bad...and it doesn't even fit. It makes everything you just did, every choice you just made in the whole series literally pointless.

3. Data was on the disk, removed, and repacked as $10-15 DLC on the day the game was released. This is NOT acceptable and I am never buying another Bioware game simply because of this, until they quit this nonsense. Developers will NOT extort money out of gamers, this stops now. No debate.

4. Speaking of bad game design and boycotting, I won't be an accomplice in the "Hollywoodization" of the gaming industry. Mass Effect 3 thinks its a movie: The camera angles zooming on character's lifeless faces, the narrative, the cut-scenes every 5 minutes, etc..its pathetic.

Any one of those high quality cut-scenes costs more money for developers to create, than I make in an entire decade of paychecks.

Why wasn't any of that money allocated to upgrading gameplay mechanics, instead of trying to make a friggin' movie? These scenes last a few minutes, take up tons of space on the disks, and in the end will be even more outdated in less than 2 years. What meeting did they sit down at EA/Bioware and come to the conclusion this was a good idea?

In fact, ME3 is the most pretentious game I've ever played in my life. It looks like the Titanic after the iceberg.

What more needs to be said to show that this is a shameful, "only for-profit" game by EA and Bioware?

I was a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, but Mass Effect 3 is the "Phantom Menace" to Mass Effect 2's "Empire Strikes Back".
  51. May 16, 2012
    Take a dump, put it on a plate, gift-rap it, give it to your best friend for an exuberant amount of money and what do you get? Mass Effect 3. Stay away if you want to retain to fond memories you had of the original two games.
  52. Mar 18, 2012
    This game does not deserve a 10/10, nor a 94 metacritic rating.

This game does not deserve a 10/10, nor a 94 metacritic rating.

Your adventure begins with the reapers attacking earth, the first planet to come under siege. After the confirmation of the reaper invasion as so prophesized by Shepard, you are tasked with uniting the entire universe in not getting annhilated. But throughout the entire game you'll feel like Shepard and his crew are the only people in the ENTIRE universe who are taking the whole galaxy obliteration thing seriously. You'll spend the entire game doing favors for the other races who apparently don't give a **** that they and everything they've ever known or loved will die, so long as X objective is fulfilled. And throughout, you'll find plotholes so massive a Geth dreadnought (which is surprisingly accommodating to lifeforms) could fly through them. The Rachni are back, regardless of whether you killed the queen in ME1, for example. As for the ending... it's so bad Bioware issued a statement for damage control. Don't worry though, they intend to give you the ending you deserve so long as you buy yet another DLC pack.

The graphics only look good when the image on screen is static. Try dodging, moving from cover to cover, sprinting, or watching 90% of the cut-scenes and you'll see awful animations, horrible transitions from animation to animation, and sometimes awkward eye movements. And regardless of whether you cleared out all enemies in a conflict zone, the camera still follows Shepard with his gun drawn uncomfortable close, and even with the controller sensitivity setting at "low" (yes, this game, unlike every other shooter released in the past decade, has only 3 settings for analog stick sensitivity) I found myself getting dizzy playing. There are also cinematic events during levels much like the Uncharted series but with choppy animation and crappy camera angles. If you're a fan of claustrophobia and nausea, then you'll love exploring M3E's environments for credits and weapon upgrades.

The entire game feels tight and constricted, from beginning to end. Imagine the linearity of Gears of War with about 50% less space. And the locations that should be sprawling and massive, like the Citadel for example, feel miniscule and require an elevator and a loading screen to access each of the five zones Shepard may explore. Even the outside levels, of which there are only a few, channel you through invisible walls to your objective. In addition, small sections of the map are regurgitated throughout the entire level to save development time, adding to the disorientation.

Multiplayer is a welcome addition, but it too has its faults. The gear you can upgrade includes weapons and their mods, but no armor, and getting said gear is either a massive grind or expensive. Gear is attained by buying "packs" which are essentially booster decks filled randomly with equipment using either MS points or the game's own credit system, which are earned extremely slowly by completing various objectives during multiplayer sessions. It's sickening how shamelessly Bioware fills its own pocket with this system and it creates a rift between players willing to spend money on digital items and players who won't, and the chance of you attaining what you desire for your character are slim, forcing you to buy pack after pack. But the loot system isn't the only thing that feels broken and wrong. Instead of creating a character and class from scratch and choosing and building upon its buffs and abilities, there are 4 or 5 characters for each class, two or 3 with their own special abilities, and each class levels up independently from each other. It isn't the worst system in the world, but you'll feel less attached to each of your many online avatars as you do with Shepard. This also prevents players from creating the exact class/character they desire, as only certain races have access to certain abilities. If you were looking to make a human with Reave, you're SOL. And, unlike the singleplayer campaign, each class has a max of three abilities which cannot be remapped to different buttons. You are stuck using your abilities (but only in multiplayer) with the buttons Bioware chose. Just as perplexing is the lack of a mute option. I cannot stress how absolutely stupid Bioware is for not adding this and many other features that are status quo. I hope you enjoy your multiplayer experience dashed with thirteen year old kids and racists.

Mass 3 Effect is a good game by any standard, but it is not a great game, and the lack of certain options that are standard in every game released in the past decade certainly don't help. But it's the ending and Bioware's disgusting Activision-like business tactics that'll eventually disenchant you from its massive, plot-hole riddled world. Or maybe seeing Ronnie from Jersey Shore joining your crew will do it.
  53. Aug 1, 2012
    As much as I love the ME series I couldnt help but feel like I wasted hours playing all 3 games. ME 3 was a good game. I thought it was solid all around and it kept me entertain and for people not to like it is crazy. I love seeing all the characters from previous games come back to light in this one. But the reason I gave this game a low score was the ending. I can't believe that BioWareAs much as I love the ME series I couldnt help but feel like I wasted hours playing all 3 games. ME 3 was a good game. I thought it was solid all around and it kept me entertain and for people not to like it is crazy. I love seeing all the characters from previous games come back to light in this one. But the reason I gave this game a low score was the ending. I can't believe that BioWare would chose the ending that they did. Then to put out the extended cut and yet still leaves you like the "What the F***!" Its a great game until the ending that killed the whole series! Expand
  54. Mar 20, 2012
    First of all i want to say that this game is MOSTLY good. It's the ending that ruins it. I'll explain why the ending ruins the game without spoiling anything. Mass Effect series has been a game all about choice. The choices you pick will have negative or positive impacts. In the final scheme of things, these choices do not have any reflection on the end. Basically, the ending isFirst of all i want to say that this game is MOSTLY good. It's the ending that ruins it. I'll explain why the ending ruins the game without spoiling anything. Mass Effect series has been a game all about choice. The choices you pick will have negative or positive impacts. In the final scheme of things, these choices do not have any reflection on the end. Basically, the ending is always the same (minus your favorite color choice of explosions. No im not kidding, its exactly as it sounds). The ending of this game will make you feel like everything you did was for nothing. It brings no closure, and is riddled with plotholes.

Playing a 60+ hour RPG should give you a satisfied ending, whether its happy or sad. This game undoes everything you did and makes it feel like it was all for nothing. I love mass effect, but these endings are non-sensical, and not poetic. Not only do the endings make you feel like you just wasted your time, but they also do not make any sense by going against the games logic, set forth in the previous games and in ME3 itself. It feels like a rush job and sloppy writing.

I strongly advise you to not listen to what naysayers who speak of "Mass Effect 3 being a work of art" say. If you ask any of them why they like the game, they can't give you a straight answer other than them being Bioware fans. I love bioware, but when someone takes advantage of you as a consumer, you have to call them out on it. And anyone reading this, i am TRYING to protect you as a consumer and not as a troll. DO NOT waste your time with this game. If it wernt for the ending, i would say play it. But unless Bioware does something to make the endings feel more worth it. Just avoid this series.
  55. Mar 21, 2012
    just wtf were they thinking? where are shepherd's emotions for his dying "friends," and why are previous decisions just glazed over and ignored? even putting those big issues aside, the ending was one of the most disappointing pieces of garbage I have ever witnessed. you go through 3 games, 5 years total playing this trilogy and you are given 3 choices? what was the point of all thosejust wtf were they thinking? where are shepherd's emotions for his dying "friends," and why are previous decisions just glazed over and ignored? even putting those big issues aside, the ending was one of the most disappointing pieces of garbage I have ever witnessed. you go through 3 games, 5 years total playing this trilogy and you are given 3 choices? what was the point of all those other choices that were posed as "big deals," when they don't even come into play at the end? never mind how screwed everyone is at the end, the ending choices themselves end up screwing everyone or taking away from their autonomy as sapient beings one way or another! How did a game series so good just down right destroy their reputation in one fell swoop? Then there are the plot holes. I won't spoil anything too badly here, but if you have played the game then you know that there are irreconcilable problems with many aspects of the ending. these writers need to go through some kind of common sense seminar or something because this is unacceptable. My recommendation to anyone who has not bought the game is to wait and see if there are any worthwhile dlc's that come out in the future, otherwise you will be angry as a guy who was just sold a turd in the guise of a game. Expand
  56. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game did not deliver. this whole series as been about choices. the whole point of bringing a character from one to 3 and choice impacting the endings. the ending is a kick in the balls. 100 hours+ of gameplay for nothing. the pandered to the casual gamers. it has gone from an rpg to a flaky copy of gears of war with every mission being about suviving rounds of enemys. having invested so much time in this game i and thousands like me feel let down by bioware. ea has got there money grabbing hands all over this. DAY ONE DLC!! that actually is a big part of story. and this horde rip off multiplayer. im sorry but this is not mass effect. not by a long shot. bioware has lost alot of credabillty. dragon age 2 was bad enough now this. the cancer that is ea has spread further. simply put the ending ruins this game. 3 **** choices. where none of you descions in the last 2 games matters. none. red green or blue. and whats with this stupid kid. shepard seen 1000s of people blended in the collecter base. and one kid dying gets to him. there where kids ob the collecter base aswell. plus why is joker leaving in the mass relay. he wouldnt of been able. just leaving shepard to die. plus i brought ashley with me on the last mision. she was right behind me when i was running towards the beam. how did she survive and get to the normandy. plus no reaper forces on the citadel. really. too many holes in the ending. plus geth, turian,krogan,salarian all traped in the solar system with no relays. Expand
  57. Mar 25, 2012
    While I did enjoy most of Mass Effect 3, there are several issues that I found quite disappointing and has left a severely bad after taste in my mouth. First of all, the move from even further away from its RPG roots. For example, the dumbing down of dialogue. The middle ground options seem to have just been completely removed, only providing you a top or bottom choice most of the time.While I did enjoy most of Mass Effect 3, there are several issues that I found quite disappointing and has left a severely bad after taste in my mouth. First of all, the move from even further away from its RPG roots. For example, the dumbing down of dialogue. The middle ground options seem to have just been completely removed, only providing you a top or bottom choice most of the time. Next, is the lack of exploration. The only place to go to talk to people, a RPG "city" as you will, is the Citadel. Other than that, its pretty much run and gun.

The other issue I had with it is the day 1 DLC. It is obvious this character was never meant to leave the game. He provides key story information about the previous cycle, why the markers exist, the reapers, and the fate of the Protheans.

My by far most unforgiving issue and biggest disappointment with the game are the endings. The last 10 minutes of the game introduce a brand new character, creates massive plot holes, provide zero closure to anything you've done, have no way to challenge the new end game character's ridiculously insane logic, and have each ending 98% the same as the others. In addition, no matter what choice you make throughout the entire saga, it will have no effect on the end sequence. You will not get any cut-scenes or any form of text explaining how your choices effected the galaxy or what happens to any of your squad mates. Every Shepard will receive the exact same set of endings regardless of what you do. The only factor that plays any roll on the ending is the "effective military strength". Overall, I found the endings to be so empty, depressingly unsatisfying, and poorly written that they have ruined the entire series. Being a long time Mass Effect fan since the first, I wanted to play from the beginning again, but after seeing and knowing what awaits me at the end of 3, I can't even look at it.

As I said in the beginning, I did still enjoy most of Mass Effect 3 and could look past its step back from its RPG roots still. Excluding the endings, rating it based soley off the journey up to the end point, i would give the game a 9/10. However, the endings are simply story telling suicide that are so bad they tarnish the entire series greatness. Due to that factor, I give the game overall a 2/10 for the amount of damage the endings do to the franchise along with the depressingly bad after taste it leaves.
  58. Apr 2, 2012
    The third game totally betrayed the sense of Discovery, that the 1st on had, and even the second one. i have to echo what has been said here, the animation was AWFUL, and embarrassing for a company of this caliber to release as finished work.
  59. Apr 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line: Bioware and EA has pulled it off brilliantly to mess up the whole series with the final instalment of the ME trilogy. A highly disappointing conclusion to the trilogy, which in many ways goes against the essential principles, which made ME1 and ME2 such good games.

ME1 and ME2 were, in spite of their flaws, for me a brilliant game-play experience. Although the two first games suffer a bit from too many illusional choices, which actually do not influence the development of story, it never felt as a problem for me, and at least some of the critical choices made would have a very real impact on how the game progressed. This is however completely different in ME3, where virtually all choices made throughout the game, including the meticulous build-up of a joint strike force, in the end proves to be without any kind of significance. Furthermore the relations built up throughout three games to the Normandy crew as well as other friends, is in the end completely pointless, as there will be no reward for the 100+ hours of game-play and decision making throughout the three games. To make matters worse, no amount of DLC content will ever be able to salvage the story and correct the horrible story writing. In terms of game-play mechanics ME3 otherwise feels very polished and refined in many aspects, compared to its predecessors. Many missions and fights are likewise quite memorable. Unfortunately this is seriously messed up near the end of the game, where several combat situations have been very poorly designed. It is namely the introduction of survival mode combat sequences, which seriously messes up the experience. Waves of enemies charges in, and your combat skill will essentially mean very little as to how well these sequences are completed. Stay alive for XX minutes or fail is the essence â
  60. May 21, 2012
    Sodomic, heterophobic pile of crap, propaganding **** BS.

Also sloppy gameplay (though it was like this in ME2 too) and no signs of RPG and of course day 1 DLC.
  61. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is a mixed bag. It combines the more classical RPG elements of ME1 with an improved version of the action from ME2; using powers is exhilarating, especially if you take advantage of your ability to micromanage your team mates. The set pieces are awe inspiring and epic. The writing is hit-and-miss, although it has many more hits than misses. Mostly, everything shines.There are, of course, a few elephants in the room: First of all, the day 1 DLC is exploitative and awful. Bioware took a character that serious fans of the series are going to be very interested in, and they made him unavailable, even though he should be included in the game itself. Not worth the money, and only takes advantage of the lore for a cheap buck.

Secondly, choices from the first two games hold very little impact. The developers simply didn't live up to their word about the story. Yes, the gameplay is great, but ME1 was great too, and it didn't have nearly as good gameplay. Decisions feel weighty during the first playthrough, but it feels cheap on the second. This is because elements and decisions from previous games appear, but any research reveals that they appear anyway. *SPOILERS* For example, I was very excited to see the rachni queen, but then I learned she appears regardless of my decision from ME1. It was great to catch up with old team members, but I found out they are replaced with a doppleganger if I haven't saved them. Finally, the ending. It sucks. None of it gels with the themes of the first two games. If the game developers wanted to include some moral message about how nothing matters once we die, they were successful. But nothing from the previous two games even hint at that kind of theme, and the ending itself is contradictory to many answers the games provide. Don't bother finishing the game, because the ending isn't worth it. Seriously. Just stop playing before you return to earth, and you'll have a much better experience than most players.

I was super hyped for this game because I had become such a big fan of the series, but this game made me wish I hadn't wasted my time. I honestly wanted to take back the 150+ hours I spent playing the first two games. I wish I never got so entrenched in the lore of the universe, or the stories of the team members. Don't buy this game. Don't even start playing the series. You'll only set yourself up for disappointment.
  62. Jun 16, 2012
    Action scenes bugged, false choices, closed world and linear progression. Whatever i did, i got the same results of my friend who made different choices.
    My only pleasure is when i see my character is better in fight than theirs.
    I won't even talk about the end which made us want to never play it again. Music is good. Probably, i will sell it to someone else like a cursed gift. Oh,
    My only pleasure is when i see my character is better in fight than theirs.
    I won't even talk about the end which made us want to never play it again.

Music is good.

Probably, i will sell it to someone else like a cursed gift. Oh, and DLC ? Seriously ?
  63. Jul 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I reserved my judgement till the EC was out. It's out and I will never buy another game from Bioware. Period. Here is why.

At first I could not even load my Shepards into the game because of the Character Transfer bugs. I ended up needing to use a fan work around and an empty USB drive even to get my Shepard into the game. To date the only fix they've given us just removes the error message for some fans, myself included on two faces. Still not fixed and still bugged to all hell.

So then I started out my game and the issues kept piling on. I noticed the auto-dialogue, being down to two conversation choices, MP being required to get all the endings, etc. I'm sure you've read them in numerous other posts before. Yeah combat's nice and all, but I don't play a Bioware game for combat. I play their games for a rich background world and characters I'm going to love for years. I know they reuse plots, but I thoroughly enjoy the company while I play them. The endings, that they took whole cloth from Deux Ex, destroy that ride. Every time I fire up the Xbox to play one of my other Shepards, I find it doesn't matter. I know how it'll end. Saving the Council or not. Recruiting people or not. Doing anything in the three games really has no bearing whatsoever on the last choice. That is why I think the endings do a great disservice to a series lauded for choices. Nothing really matters other then the very last one, which are all the same as long as your score is high enough. I think I could have been okay with some of the EC, if Bioware didn't give us all a giant FU as the 'new' ending. Destroy, where Shepard does not act like a mindless zombie like the others. This new ending is nothing more the Casey saying FU to the fans about changing his very flawed endings. So I'm done with Bioware and anything with Casey Hudson's name on it.
  64. Aug 1, 2012
    Save your money and don't make the same mistake I did buying this game. If your a fan you will rip your hair out after playing this game, but if you are a newcomer play ME1, ME2 and imagine that this game never existed. If you have bought the game DO NOT BUY From Ashes DLC. It isn't worth the price and if you play this game on PC you can unlock the character from the ''From Ashes'' DLCSave your money and don't make the same mistake I did buying this game. If your a fan you will rip your hair out after playing this game, but if you are a newcomer play ME1, ME2 and imagine that this game never existed. If you have bought the game DO NOT BUY From Ashes DLC. It isn't worth the price and if you play this game on PC you can unlock the character from the ''From Ashes'' DLC with notepad.

Reasons you will hate this game:

1 - It turns away from Sci-Fi and goes to space magic.

2 - All the decisions you made in previous games won't matter.

3 - Too much auto dialogue from start to finish.

4 - Boring side missions, those side mission are all the same and pointless.

5 - No more than six or seven crew members.

6 - Reapers look and function differently than in previous games.

7 - Major plot-holes.

8 - No original missions.

9 - Multiplayer that is worth playing long as it gets dlc's every month.

10 - Duologue options are useless, people will often answer the same way to your all duologue options, same with Shepard.

12 - The ending is very unoriginal, contradicts the franchise and contains a lot of space magic.

In a nutshell this should have been called Little Effect 3 and the Extended Cut DLC doesn't make a difference.
  65. Mar 14, 2013
    I... What... This is... I can't... (adopting James Earl Jones voice) NOOOOOOOOO!!!! There simply aren't words that can adequately describe how incredibly disappointed I was with this title. The sheer dumbing and scaling down and utter contrived nonsense of this game simply defies belief. To summarize: The conversation wheel is reduced to mostly two choices, which most of the time are justI... What... This is... I can't... (adopting James Earl Jones voice) NOOOOOOOOO!!!! There simply aren't words that can adequately describe how incredibly disappointed I was with this title. The sheer dumbing and scaling down and utter contrived nonsense of this game simply defies belief. To summarize: The conversation wheel is reduced to mostly two choices, which most of the time are just verbal variations of the very same choice. The Citadel has been reduced to four very small "rooms" which make you feel like you're in a dorm rather than a huge construction floating in space. The story makes little to no sense what so ever (and that's well before one of the worst, most contrived, horribly written, and senseless endings in the history of writing). Side missions consists primarily of Shep playing UPS-guy. Here's how it works: Eavesdrop on total stranger, go to system, scan planet, find object, go back, deliver found object to total stranger, the end. And if you thought Bioware couldn't make scanning planets more absurdly boring than it was in ME2 (where it actually served some kind of purpose), then you're in for a surprise. Imagine playing Tetris with only square blocks which take up the entire grid. That's scanning planets in ME3. You don't really do anything. The shooting levels are extremely linear and makes the whole game feel more like an attempt at a Gears of War clone with longer cutscenes (and a still dysfunctional AI) than Mass Effect. Oh, and did I mention the sheer amount of auto dialogue? Then there's Tali's face... Oh God, how lazy can you get? Then there's the IGN chick. WHAT!? And then there's the ending... You know, the one where all the decisions you made throughout the three games come together and gives you a plethora of different endings? Well, no! No choices you ever made make even one iota of difference. Everybody gets the same three completely ridiculous, contrived, senseless, and grotesquely illogical choices of endings. Remember we were told that the Reapers were beyond human comprehension? Well, it turns out they were right. Noone can possibly comprehend the assenying, senseless stupidity which is the Reapers and the Catalyst (or smurfboy aka deux ex machina).
    To sum up: Mass Effect 3 is a boring 3rd person shooter with long cutscenes and a completely senseless story and one of the worst conclusions ever in gaming history. The only reason I can swing my way up to a four, is the production value which is excellent and the fact that there is actually two missions in this game that has the old Mass Effect feel of choice and consequence. But twice simply isn't enough when we consider that was the whole premiss of the game.
    The story of the Mass Effect franchise is the story of how game companies all now seem to aim for the lowest common denominator (aka "as long as I can shoot stuff and don't have to actually think or do anything, I'm happy") rather than aim for excellence.
  66. Mar 9, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware ever since KOTOR but i'm afraid that ever since they paired up with EA they've been making poor choices and as much as i loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 i have to say ME3 is the biggest disappointment in all the video games i have played. I actually really enjoyed the game up until the ending part that really makes me wish i never played it. All the endings are superI was a big fan of Bioware ever since KOTOR but i'm afraid that ever since they paired up with EA they've been making poor choices and as much as i loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 i have to say ME3 is the biggest disappointment in all the video games i have played. I actually really enjoyed the game up until the ending part that really makes me wish i never played it. All the endings are super depressing which means all the decisions you made in this game and last two games were pretty much useless, don"t even get me started with the day 1 DLC. Expand
  67. Mar 9, 2012
    This game was a clear 10/10 until I hit the atrocious, horrible, space magic and pixie dust endings. Seriously, you expect us to make a second play through with a knee to the groin ending? Returning the game to gamestop and I will feel lucky if they give me a buck for it. I am going to pretend they never made ME3. Seriously wait till this game is in the 5 dollar range or rent it.
  68. Mar 10, 2012
    While I enjoyed everything about Mass Effect 1 (and to a lesser extent, 2) it is really disappointing to see Bioware put so little effort into the conclusion of what should've been their next Baldur's Gate. The writing is childish, the illusion of choice is offensive, and the homosexuality and DLC is shoved in our face. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual, but when it's done badlyWhile I enjoyed everything about Mass Effect 1 (and to a lesser extent, 2) it is really disappointing to see Bioware put so little effort into the conclusion of what should've been their next Baldur's Gate. The writing is childish, the illusion of choice is offensive, and the homosexuality and DLC is shoved in our face. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual, but when it's done badly it needs to be said. You did not paint homosexuals in a good picture, Bioware, even my gay friend was offended when he saw some of the scenes. This wouldn't be such a large issue had you not made relationships and sexual intercourse such a large part of the game's presentation. The $800 DLC is also unforgivable, when we buy the game we want the full game, not some shabby half-done piece of crap reaking of your laziness. Oh, and while I'm at it, I might as well tell you guys; Your choices in the previous game DO NOT MATTER. If you didn't make the choices they wanted you to make they are instantly retconned and replaced with what they wanted you to choose.

For shame, Bioware. For shame.
  69. Mar 12, 2012
    Your choices don't matter as the game pretty much only has one ending. This is terrible for the concluding game in a trilogy. How is it that the developers can market a game as being based in a world that responds to your decisions then pull this stuff! Rent before you buy or just plain rent.
  70. Mar 9, 2012
    Its an amazing game all the way up till the last 5 mins. I didn't think it was possible but we have an ending so bad that it ruins the entire series. I can't even think about playing any of the other ME games after watching this ending.

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins

The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4.
  71. Mar 12, 2012
    Bioware lied about the ending content and EA has their shills in the video game "journalism" industry pumping out propaganda at a frantic pace. Too bad the damage has been done.
  72. Mar 12, 2012
    Well all the hopes i had for the 3rd game, after the dissapointment of the second, were for nothing. Instead of going back to what made the first game in the series great, Bioware created an even more dumbed down version of the game in an attempt to wow the masses. Cutscene, Cutscene, Cutscene, dull combat, rinse and repeat. Add to that a co-op mode that you are almost forced to play ifWell all the hopes i had for the 3rd game, after the dissapointment of the second, were for nothing. Instead of going back to what made the first game in the series great, Bioware created an even more dumbed down version of the game in an attempt to wow the masses. Cutscene, Cutscene, Cutscene, dull combat, rinse and repeat. Add to that a co-op mode that you are almost forced to play if you want the "best" possible ending in the single player and it's clear that Bioware just wants to keep copies out of the second hand market. This game has gone down the path of Dragon Age. a great concept, but a bad implementation. Expand
  73. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ultimately no matter what path was chosen, what actions were taken, who lived and who died, at the end of this journey, all that remains is your ship and your crew abandon you. The first 95% of the game is amazing, its everything I hoped for and more. The last 5% is the biggest slap in the face imaginable. If you have invested 100's of hours from the first game until this one, you will be left stunned and appalled that none of the choices you made, none of the battles you fought, nothing you did in those 100's of hours ultimately pays off in any of the three endings you can pick from. With the three endings and the DLC on day 1, EA/Bioware show that fan support means nothing more than a dollar symbol to them. While most of the joy lays in the journey to the end of the game, there is no replay value at all in this game, because no matter what journey you take, the ends are all ultimately the same except for color variations and if synthetics live or die. Expand
  74. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ruined a series I've been on love with since the reveal in 2007. NONE of the choices from the other games matter because you get the same ending with three different colors. The characters that you have established relationships with and have come to admire get no closure in this final installment.

While I have shelled out a small fortune buying these games on multiple platforms with all DLC i can truly say that I am sad this one took advantage of the fans. You are forced to play the multiplayer to boost your single player campaign strength (sneaky DRM trick EA has pulled) and day 1 DLC. The third installment also pushed for "gay" romances. There is nothing wrong with the fact that they added this into the game but they did not do a good job because it was not subtle at all. It's the in your face aspect that takes away from the atmosphere of the previous 2 games and feels completely out of place and forced. The ending will leave you dumbfounded and angry. That being said DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME and take your money elsewhere.
  75. Dev
    Mar 13, 2012
    Mass Effect 3's ending is the greatest disappoint to any series but what's worse is that I paid for it. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless bioware fixed the ending. No one should pay for disappointment.
  76. Mar 9, 2012
    Takes the best parts of Dragon Age 2 and combines them with Mass Effect 2 to give you this five-star lesson in why people will read through ANYTHING to finish a story they enjoyed the beginning of, even if they thought the last 2 thirds were...lacking. combat and story feel like 2 seperate games, as if one was thrown in to space out the other, while both being sub-par. 0 replay value.
  77. Mar 10, 2012
    The quality of the script really went down hill with the third entry. Bioware may think they are making a more "dramatic" game by feature overbearing music cues to pull on your heart strings and having characters deliver short emphatic quips, but all they have really done is take an interesting universe and made it seem more like a generic Hollywood blockbuster. There is still a lot toThe quality of the script really went down hill with the third entry. Bioware may think they are making a more "dramatic" game by feature overbearing music cues to pull on your heart strings and having characters deliver short emphatic quips, but all they have really done is take an interesting universe and made it seem more like a generic Hollywood blockbuster. There is still a lot to admire, but most of it is just inertia from the rich world they have already established. Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2012
    I cannot in good conscious give Mass Effect 3 a good review. If you are a new fan you may be confused and overwhelmed by the brilliantly created and richly imagined universe and canon that Bioware develops. If you're an old fan then this game will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. If you are strictly concerned with gameplay, then this game will have far too much story-driven plotI cannot in good conscious give Mass Effect 3 a good review. If you are a new fan you may be confused and overwhelmed by the brilliantly created and richly imagined universe and canon that Bioware develops. If you're an old fan then this game will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. If you are strictly concerned with gameplay, then this game will have far too much story-driven plot and dialogue for you. That said the gameplay is solid through and through. Not perfect, but solid. Then again that's not why I picked up the Mass Effect series in the first place. The reason I cannot give this game a good review is that I am a story-concerned and ethical old fan. The ethics comes in with EA's (and Bioware's) shady business ethics. EA has released DLC critical to lore/story (not necessarily plot, there is a difference) and gameplay that you have to pay extra for. Unethical. Bioware's writers, producers and devs have lied to us for the entire production. The endings are not choice-driven and nothing you did in any of the three games matters in the end. The themes at the very end of the game (mind you a lot of the writing was brilliant) contradict the themes for the other two games and anyone who played through all three stories in this "character-driven" series will be nothing short of mortified with the pseudo-intellectual, quasi-philosophical ending (I believe the Russian word is "poshlost" meaning something that is meant to appear intelligent and meaningful without actually being either, thereby baiting critics to laud it so they can show how deep and intellectual they are). If the writers can't admit that they were trying to impress pseudo-intellectual critics instead of loyal fans, then they will lose my respect. If they can admit it, then they simply lose my trust. There are other parts of the game with questionable writing (Example: in the beginning you can practically hear the writers grunts as they try to start the story off in the clumsiest way possible). These are forgiveable blips as they don't ruin the series, but the ending destroyed the replayability value, not only for Mass Effect 3, but the first two games as well, which I was still playing every other month, because I enjoyed them so much. The gameplay, while still clumsy, is the best in not only this game, but any Bioware game to date and was highly enjoyable.

In summation, I can say that if you are playing this game for gameplay, then there is far too much dialogue and story for that (which I personally love). If you are playing it for story and are new to the series, I'd recommend playing the other games first (or instead). If you are playing it for story and are a veteran of the series, then this game is not highly recommended. Or you can turn it off before the "poshlost ending". I don't expect them to fix the ending, but I don't expect to be buying another Bioware game anytime soon.
  79. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is a complete disappointment. It was fun up until the last 5 minutes, and those five minutes make the whole series seem like a 100+ hour waste of time. I swear they had a five year old write the ending, and for those of you who think your choices from the last two games matter, they don't, there is only 3 total endings. That's it! Way to Go BioWare, your a joke company to me now.
  80. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish I could score this game twice. Once would be for the gameplay, options, dialogue, and general playability. That score would be very high; I am a big fan of the Mass Effect series, and I thought that this one was pretty good, considering. The second would be for the ending, and it would be negative. Dear Game Developers, please read this. I don't want you to try to leave me thinking at the end. I don't want to turn off the game and say, "well, that sucked." I want to end happily riding off into the sunset with my lady (Tali, in my playthrough). I WANT TO SURVIVE THE END OF THE GAME. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? Why can't I be the conquering hero? Why can't I use my paragon points to change the outcome? I know that I am not completely representative of the gaming community, but I want a happy ending. Bioware took three games to utterly fail to give me that, and left me feeling deeply unsatisfied. I am disgusted by the shoddiness and sheer badness of the ending. In fact, I would suggest that all video game writers consider the seven year old test- would a seven year old be happy with at least one of the endings?
    On an unrelated note, I add my voice to those that have spoken about the shoddy, tactless attempt to add in different sexuality and gender options. It seemed utterly forced. In the end, the ending made it feel like Bioware didn't care about me. It didn't care about how I felt after I played.
  81. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i've had some time to reflect and punch a few holes in the wall to get my frustration out and i think i'm ready to put into words how i feel 24 hours after the "good" ending in mass effect 3

to start, my RI was Tali. once i killed the reaper on ranoch i opted to upload the reaper code to the geth via legion. despite tali not wanting me to, i felt this was the best course of action for her, her people, the galaxy, and even the geth. i was able to talk the fleet out of counter attacking the geth while the code was being uploaded and tali still loves me. whew. this got me thinking however, what if my paragon was too low and the quarians did attack the geth. what would happen? i pulled up youtube to find out.

this was the most moving and emotional punch in the gut i've ever seen in a video game. assuming this had happened in my playthrough, i'd have been devastated. moments earlier tali told me she loved me and i have just wiped out her entire people. heartbroken, she jumps over the edge. thought i was going to cry.

where the hell was this level of emotion and effort in the ****ing end game bioware? as far as voice acting/ performance go, the quarians being wiped out and tali dying was so difficult to watch, yet so well done, i was completely blown away. that level of devastation and pain should've been put into the endgame and i don't know if i can ever forgive bioware for it. they took maybe the greatest game ever made, at least for me, and complelty half assed the last 5 minutes.

now, i'll be clear, i wanted a happy ending, but if that's not how it was going to be then fine. i'll get over it. but to do it the way that they did, i, just, uuuuughhh. ......
  82. Mar 8, 2012
    this game is a step down from both previous games in the series. the writing is cheesy without trying to be, the new character james is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a video game, i found plenty of bugs, and the combat is stale. i'd be lying if i said i didn't have ANY fun but overall it's not worth the money or time put in. idk what the hell happened, but theythis game is a step down from both previous games in the series. the writing is cheesy without trying to be, the new character james is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a video game, i found plenty of bugs, and the combat is stale. i'd be lying if i said i didn't have ANY fun but overall it's not worth the money or time put in. idk what the hell happened, but they seriously need to find new writers. how you have the selling point of a highly successful series seem like an afterthought is beyond me. buy it from the bargain bin one day, it'll be right next to dragon age 2 Expand
  83. Mar 9, 2012
    I have always been a huge fan of BioWare and I believe that Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the best games I've ever played. I was so excited to play ME:3! That ended last night...

The game of ME:3 itself is outstanding. The voice acting, combat system and RPG elements were really fun to play through (except the character generation). What killed it for me was the last 20-30 minutes of the game which make absolutely no logical sense. In this small window, you find out that nothing you've done, none of your choice make any difference. In the end, you still lose. It is the most depressing ending to any game I've ever played and makes me wish I never heard of Mass Effect. If you enjoyed ME: 1 & 2, you're going to be very upset with part 3. If you buy this, you'll toss away hours of time only to find out that the worst possible ending imaginable is exactly what you'll get. I really wish this wasn't the case.
  84. Mar 10, 2012
    I have a lot of issues with this game, but these are my biggest issues:

I have a lot of issues with this game, but these are my biggest issues:

1. Multiplayer is broken. If you don't have FiOS and live at most a few blocks from Bioware's datacenter, you WILL get disconnected from games, *EXTREMELY FREQUENTLY*. If you're lucky, you can finish 1 out of 10 games. If you think your connection is good enough for online gaming, and can play hundreds of other games with zero difficulties whatsoever, think again: this game will absolutely destroy your connection. This is a MASSIVE disappointment coming from such a rich company.

2. The endings are horrid. Never in my 20 years of PC gaming have I seen a game build up so well, but die out with a putter like that. It made the whole experience sour for me.

My advise is that if you haven't finished the game yet, but have started, stop now -- don't finish it. And don't play multiplayer. If you avoid these two aspects of the game, you will continue to have faith in the Mass Effect franchise, and will hope for some kind of future game in the Mass Effect universe that isn't such an unmitigated failure.
  85. Sep 9, 2012
    I score reviews based on how I feel about the game after finishing it, and it is very, very difficult to see past the terrible ending, multiple plot holes, and the utterly stupid "big reveal" of the Reaper's motives in Mass Effect 3. The ending, coupled with the Day 1 DLC (which is wrong no matter how you spin it) really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The way it's presented makes noI score reviews based on how I feel about the game after finishing it, and it is very, very difficult to see past the terrible ending, multiple plot holes, and the utterly stupid "big reveal" of the Reaper's motives in Mass Effect 3. The ending, coupled with the Day 1 DLC (which is wrong no matter how you spin it) really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The way it's presented makes no sense whatsoever and runs completely counter to the idea that your choices throughout the game matter. The ME series spans 5+ years of generally excellent media, and for it to end in a three way deus ex machina like it did is just mind blowing. It sucks saying that, because the 90% of the game leading up to the end is really, really good, even if it played more like a 'best of' compilation than a completely new game. A quick note about the multiplayer: it's *kind of* good, but in other ways it's really, really bad. Gameplay wise it's a fun (if overpowered), Halo-esque shooter, but the community is beyond terrible, kicking players who are just starting out or have a low N7 score, and verbally berating those who either do too well or too poorly. Also, based on what happened to Mercenaries 2 when EA shut down it's servers, I have little hope for the future of ME3. Expand
  86. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first I was wondering why the game had such a bad fan review, the game was amazing, I did not care that there was day 1 DLC the combat system was an improvement over mass effect 2, there were more guns to chose from and the graphics were improved. then I got to the last 5 minutes of the game and I find out they did a copy of Deus Ex's ending where all the choices you chose in mass effect 1, 2 and 3 did not matter at all. thank you bioware for wasting 60+ hours of my life and making me spend over $200 on this trilogy that i cant play anymore now that I know the game ends so poorly. If bioware puts a patch that fixes the awful endings (like bethisda did for fallout 3) I would give this game a 10/10.

-GAMEPLAY 10/10
    -GRAPHICS 9/10 (a bit to dark at some points)
    -STORY(other than ending) 8/10 (would have been a 10/10 if they gave you more chat options like in previous mass effect games)
    -ONLINE 7/10 (it was ok and it came with a story the same length of other mass effects so it can be ignored)
    -ENDING 0/10 (wtf was bioware thinking? this also removes any chances of a new trilogy after this because the mass relays are destroyed.)
  87. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 endings were like eating a beautifully decorated and tasty 3 layer cake and finding a big fat **** in the last bite. Seriously this ruined any replay value for me. Expand
  88. Mar 12, 2012
    Story, Characters, plot elements, cut scenes..all uninspiring. Combat even on hardcore settings is lack luster. Graphics are not that much improved over Mass Effect 2. Despite that, I loved the game, right up until the end. The very things that made me give most of the game a pass as I played through it, the time I'd invested in Sheapard, my love of the other charactors, my fealing ofStory, Characters, plot elements, cut scenes..all uninspiring. Combat even on hardcore settings is lack luster. Graphics are not that much improved over Mass Effect 2. Despite that, I loved the game, right up until the end. The very things that made me give most of the game a pass as I played through it, the time I'd invested in Sheapard, my love of the other charactors, my fealing of consequences for my actions; were all thrown away at the end. There are people that hate the ending for what it reveals about the reapers, and what "choices" You get to make. But even putting that asside, the feal is off, the quick ending cenimatics are hollow quick...impart no real informations. The game ends but I'm not sure what actualy happened, or if I even care anymore. Mass Effect 3, poorly exectued and contrived, First Day DLC: unforgivable..and Here is a Spoiler for you, They flash a little datapad up on the screen that says keep playing and spending your money buying are DLC's..excuse me? You leave me fealing robbed, then tell me not to worry because you'll be back for more money later?
    Mass effect..you're dead to me, such a loss :-/
  89. Mar 13, 2012
    It was a fantastic ride right up until the last 15 or so minutes, when Bioware must have decided we had been given 2 happy ending in a row, so now we have to pay. It was kind of like having the best Christmas morning of your childhood ruined by the Manson Family busting down the door after the last present is opened, and then stabbing your mom and dad to death in front of your eyes withIt was a fantastic ride right up until the last 15 or so minutes, when Bioware must have decided we had been given 2 happy ending in a row, so now we have to pay. It was kind of like having the best Christmas morning of your childhood ruined by the Manson Family busting down the door after the last present is opened, and then stabbing your mom and dad to death in front of your eyes with the kitchen utensils. Given the horrible feeling this game left me with, I can not in good conscience give it anything like a high rating. Sorry. Expand
  90. Mar 9, 2012
    Right before you finished the game, this would probably be your favorite game of all time, however, the ending killed it all, a worst possible ending a Mass Effect fans could expect.
  91. Mar 8, 2012
    For the finale of a game series that has been sold as an evolving story where the player's decisions guide the flow, Mass Effect 3 fails to deliver. Any major decisions from the first 2 games (saving or killing the council, what to do with the rachni queen, whether to save or destroy Maelon's genophage research) all ultimately end up being represented as numbers on a chart and nothingFor the finale of a game series that has been sold as an evolving story where the player's decisions guide the flow, Mass Effect 3 fails to deliver. Any major decisions from the first 2 games (saving or killing the council, what to do with the rachni queen, whether to save or destroy Maelon's genophage research) all ultimately end up being represented as numbers on a chart and nothing more. Some dialouge may change and some cutscenes may have different faces in them due to these decisions, but ultimately the game moves forward in the same direction no matter what decisions you made. That is ultimately why this game is and always will be a dissapointment to me. Credit to Bioware for starting one of the most ambitious gaming projects ever. It's unfortunate that they seem to have lost ambition halfway through. Expand
  92. Mar 9, 2012
    Seeing the HUMONGOUS disparity between what users are rating this game and what critics rate the game CLEARLY exposes the fraud of some game review sites via bribes. I have seen the instances of these bribes for high profile games increase severely over the past few years. I basically agree with Sheprdlovr's review, this game is very poorly put together overall. The graphics look terribleSeeing the HUMONGOUS disparity between what users are rating this game and what critics rate the game CLEARLY exposes the fraud of some game review sites via bribes. I have seen the instances of these bribes for high profile games increase severely over the past few years. I basically agree with Sheprdlovr's review, this game is very poorly put together overall. The graphics look terrible compared to any decent titles in the past few years. I feel robbed of my 60 bucks for this game, with the Star War's mmo being even worse. Expand
  93. Mar 9, 2012
    overall , if you haven't play the previous series, me3 looks badass. but if you did play me1 or me2, then me3 is bull****. Graphics: can't believe this game uses unreal engine (GOW, Batman AC, unreal tournament3,bulletstorm, etc), well at least why don't you bioware put destructible environtment into combat?it has physX ins't it?. luls movment (either in combat or exploration) animation,overall , if you haven't play the previous series, me3 looks badass. but if you did play me1 or me2, then me3 is bull****. Graphics: can't believe this game uses unreal engine (GOW, Batman AC, unreal tournament3,bulletstorm, etc), well at least why don't you bioware put destructible environtment into combat?it has physX ins't it?. luls movment (either in combat or exploration) animation, awkward face animation (they still using faceFX, peh), ugly textures. Combat : forgiven, but still annoying movement animation ruins it all. Story: bull**** from beginning till I die. First time in menu , i choose "action" so i could save the role-play storytell later. I said" wtf, cutscenes and flows are sucks" hmpf, maybe because i choose "action" so it's like options for retarded who chooses muscle over brain. okay. but when i try to play "RPG" like it should be, " wtf! it's sucks otherwise". so it doesn't matter what you choose, its bull****, conversation are forced into useless lines, this is like encourage people to do sexual harrasmnt, and they enjoying it, and what the hell happened to my previous crew? they're all KIA? Overall, DISAPPOINTING!!! forgive my rudeness, but mass effect franchise deserve better than this. this is why some people chose illegal copy instead. i gave ONE for the bravery bringing battle to earth. Expand
  94. Mar 12, 2012
    The last 20 minutes of the game appear as brought over from another game; without any logic or closure. A typical deus ex machina with 3 arbitrary choices, and missing is the logical expected one.
  95. Mar 18, 2012
    My review is way too long, so here's a link to the full review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R20FQY6HQ2S1ZR/ref=cm_aya_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004FYEZMQ Now here's the beginning of my review: So, letâ
  96. Mar 21, 2012
    A fun game with a bad ending is a bad game. I would say the same for TV show of Movie. If the last act is very poorly done. I would give low marks.. The fact the quality drops so suddenly, so late in the game is more shocking than anything else.

I would not recommend this game to anyone.
  97. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good game until you reach the end. The ending is so poorly written that I can not conceive it was written by experienced professionals. The ending ruins the whole series.

The game has multiple good elements but seems to fall short in other areas. Some of the minor issues include: The fact that the choices of sacrificing people to save others is trivialized by the poor presentation and that every second conversation from Shepard sounds like a poorly veiled come on to other characters.

An especially low note in the game is Kai Leng. Kai Leng is a horrible stereotyped Mary Sue which nearly ruined the game. His boss battles are lame and should never have been included. The game designers failed to follow a basic game design rule: If you don't want a PC killing a NPC then don't have them fight. Simple, no? They follow this with the Illusive Man (uses holographs instead of being there in person) but they fail with Kai Leng. Just when you thought that cliched character was the worst part the game in roles the game's ending. It involves a ghost child AI which is the citadel but was never foreshadowed. (Nor does it make sense as there would be no need for Mass Effect 1 or 2 if this was true. After all an AI secretly existing in the Citadel could easily notify the Reapers without the need of outside Reaper prompting). Besides this obvious flaw the game then presents 3 possible endings: 1) Mass murder of all synthetic life 2) Take control of the Reapers
    3) A childishly simplistic option of merging synthetic and organic life without wiping all current beings. How this is possible is never explained nor does it make any sense in the end.
    Also the Mass Relays are destroyed in every ending and the Normandy crashes in every ending. This is disheartening but also means that you have destroyed the main means of intergalactic transportation and destroyed every spaceship in the galaxy. Hurray? So in closing all the endings means you have saved galactic civilization by destroying all galactic civilization. WTF? This game if viewed individually would be a 6 or 7 out of ten. When viewed in light of what it does to the series a 4 is generous.
  98. Mar 15, 2012
    After 7 playthrough of ME and 6 of ME 2 a nearly 400 hours and bunch of buck i spend on this franchise iË
  99. Mar 17, 2012
    The game would have been better if I waited until it was $10 because DLC is getting expensive. They made a pretty interesting platform for a game, but EA/Bioware have only a good concept of a game. After playing the 3rd of this trilogy I understand the concept. The problem without good closure for a concept is that unlike a book or movie I would not pay for an incomplete cinematicThe game would have been better if I waited until it was $10 because DLC is getting expensive. They made a pretty interesting platform for a game, but EA/Bioware have only a good concept of a game. After playing the 3rd of this trilogy I understand the concept. The problem without good closure for a concept is that unlike a book or movie I would not pay for an incomplete cinematic ending in an interactive game. The plot holes are not what a player should use to write his/her ending. As a dedicated fan I trusted the vision of the writers so much that I completed the first 2 games numerous times. Honestly they should have been shorter. How many times was I lead to believe my choices would matter? Before ME3 there was a lot of buzz from Bioware that I should believe my choices would matter. The choices, replays, times I wanted to engage myself with fictional moral choices were numerous, and it was that much time my life and money was wasted on these hacks. Expand
  100. Mar 17, 2012
    The most important parts of a story are the beginning and the end. The end fails so completely that it can't be reasonably scored as an enjoyable game at all until it's fixed.

And give us Tali's face in the game, not in a damn picture. How lazy can you get? I can photoshop Tali from a stock picture from the internet myself. Years and years of game development and that's your answer to a huge reveal like Tali's face?

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.