5.7

1. Mar 9, 2012
    The Mass Effect series had been my favorite video games, bar none. As someone playing it from the beginning, I was an avid supporter and introduced the game to numerous friends and family but the ending has ruined the game for me. Taking my time, I picked every perfect choice and at the end I was left with 3 endings all of which made the character I had developed worthless. Was I able toThe Mass Effect series had been my favorite video games, bar none. As someone playing it from the beginning, I was an avid supporter and introduced the game to numerous friends and family but the ending has ruined the game for me. Taking my time, I picked every perfect choice and at the end I was left with 3 endings all of which made the character I had developed worthless. Was I able to save the galaxy? Yes. However, it was at the cost of a character and relationships which I had become deeply entwined in for the previous 4 years. Though the content pre-ending was good, the terrible ending which Bioware forced on the players makes me wish I had never played the game to begin with. Perhaps it's silly to care so much but I played an enriched game which allowed the players to really learn to love characters who, at the end of my game, were dead, stranded, or abandoned. Thanks for nothing Bioware... Expand
  2. X11
    Mar 20, 2012
    Unbelievable gameplay just as in the first two installments. Felt like I was reading a book, watching a movie, and playing a game simultaneously. Always good. My opinion of this game has hit all sides of the spectrum, but in the end the truth is realized. This is a truly spectacular game/story/epic. While the ending may be questionable, one cannot discount the spectacularity this title contains.
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    This has been some ride, since Mass Effect first grabbed my attention. I have played through every bit of the first two games, and loved every minute. Now the final comes, and I feel equal parts excited and sad. Sad that it will have to end, but thrilled to get a chance to play it. And it does not disappoint. The emotion - always the strong point of Mass Effect - is brought to anotherThis has been some ride, since Mass Effect first grabbed my attention. I have played through every bit of the first two games, and loved every minute. Now the final comes, and I feel equal parts excited and sad. Sad that it will have to end, but thrilled to get a chance to play it. And it does not disappoint. The emotion - always the strong point of Mass Effect - is brought to another level. The characters that I have come to care so much about are even more fleshed out. And the goosebumps at certain points of the game...well, I won't spoil. Just get it. Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2012
    Although not perfect, it is far from the 1-4's that people are giving it. This game is a fantastic end to the trilogy in almost every aspect. Sure the story doesn't seem as in depth as the other two games, the decisions don't feel as though they mean as much but this is the last ride for Shepard. The decisions you make in this game must effect the game instantly as you are building up theAlthough not perfect, it is far from the 1-4's that people are giving it. This game is a fantastic end to the trilogy in almost every aspect. Sure the story doesn't seem as in depth as the other two games, the decisions don't feel as though they mean as much but this is the last ride for Shepard. The decisions you make in this game must effect the game instantly as you are building up the forces to defeat the Reapers, not be sure to effect your character 3 games from now. Overall the music, pacing, graphics (little buggy) and game play are great. Add in the ability to mod your weapons again and this game has some great value to it. It may not be the end all to video games, but it is far from the lowest of the low scores some have given it. If you love the series and have are not childish in your demands for the perfect game you'll love this game. I am a huge fan of the series and am happy to have invested all of the hours past into the trilogy. It's hard to look at this game and complain when the blockbuster mentality is there in spades in every battle leading up to the ultimate decision at the end, bravo BioWare. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    2007, I will never forget you for you introduced me to the 7th gen of gaming and the best Sci fI GASIM that I have had in gaming since Wing Commander. ME1 was the high of my 25years of gaming. What makes it even better is that us gamers get 2 more games:) Haters will hate. But you have to be very spoilt to hate such a piece of art made by passionate hard working people. Sure I hate day 12007, I will never forget you for you introduced me to the 7th gen of gaming and the best Sci fI GASIM that I have had in gaming since Wing Commander. ME1 was the high of my 25years of gaming. What makes it even better is that us gamers get 2 more games:) Haters will hate. But you have to be very spoilt to hate such a piece of art made by passionate hard working people. Sure I hate day 1 DLC but that is just the new work model of todays Industry so get over it.

I gave it a 10 based on the simple fact that it has to be better than ME1. Good Effort and thanks for my 90-100hours of Sci Fi bliss. Something that Star Trek should have done.
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    I honestly thought I would have mixed feelings about this game. I was dead wrong. Its now my favorite game and will stay that way for a long time. This game feels completely original and new. I have never played a quite like it and there is no other game that is like it. The level of depth and character that is put into this is astonishing.
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    Nothing less then perfection. I managed to get a copy a few days early and I never thought the story and game could top what the last two games have delivered, but this keeps getting better and better! You really do feel the weight of those decisions you made. Its great to finally see the outcome of these shaping after waiting for 5 years in curiosity as to what would happen.Nothing less then perfection. I managed to get a copy a few days early and I never thought the story and game could top what the last two games have delivered, but this keeps getting better and better! You really do feel the weight of those decisions you made. Its great to finally see the outcome of these shaping after waiting for 5 years in curiosity as to what would happen. Certainly doesn't disappoint! Gameplay mechanics have taken a sharp turn for the better and have progressed a long way since ME2. It great a lot of mods that were a fun point of ME1 have returned also. Shepard's story could not have asked for a better conclusion then this! Massive credit to Bioware to improving on a series that is already top of its league! No easy feat, but they have done it with flying colors! Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    I don't really understand why some users are giving this game such a low score, while it may differ from the previous slightly its not enough to warrant a 0 or 1 rating. Its interesting that users who game the game a 9-10 for mass effect 2 are now giving it a 1. Seems to me like something else is bothering players and its not the game play, I think the game is pretty freaking good if you ask me
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    Great end to a trilogy, if you play games to have fun and enjoy an amazing world then this game is for you. All of our favorite characters from the past games make a return and all conflicts established throughout the series get an ending. Mass Effect 3 has a darker tone than previous installments and the game keeps you surprised up to the end. The combat is more fun than ever with diverseGreat end to a trilogy, if you play games to have fun and enjoy an amazing world then this game is for you. All of our favorite characters from the past games make a return and all conflicts established throughout the series get an ending. Mass Effect 3 has a darker tone than previous installments and the game keeps you surprised up to the end. The combat is more fun than ever with diverse enemies and great customizing options which always change your experience. There are bugs, but less than most releases I have played over the past year. Definitely the best game I have played since The Witcher 2 Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    Great game. A fitting end to the trilogy. Commenting on mechanics and writing for now, as I haven't yet beaten the game (don't believe the preteens who say they have, it's only been like 2 hours since the game dropped). Story-telling is as good as the other two, and Bioware has brought back many of the customization options left out of ME2, making this game resemble ME1 more than itsGreat game. A fitting end to the trilogy. Commenting on mechanics and writing for now, as I haven't yet beaten the game (don't believe the preteens who say they have, it's only been like 2 hours since the game dropped). Story-telling is as good as the other two, and Bioware has brought back many of the customization options left out of ME2, making this game resemble ME1 more than its protige.

Over-all a phenomenal game, and something that fans of the first two games will enjoy. I recommend playing ME1 and 2 before purchasing this game, as a lack of knowledge bout the story-line is going to make you unappreciative of the effort given.
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    A sparkling meta-game with flawed minigames, but still worth playing. Mass Effect 3 is a stunning tour de force of an epic, arrayed with a cast ranging from legendary writer Jennifer Hepler to reformed misogynist Jim Sterling and such media luminaries as Kotaku or Rock Paper Shotgun. Its story arcs span intrepid epics from the great script leak of 2011, where the seeds of backlash wereA sparkling meta-game with flawed minigames, but still worth playing. Mass Effect 3 is a stunning tour de force of an epic, arrayed with a cast ranging from legendary writer Jennifer Hepler to reformed misogynist Jim Sterling and such media luminaries as Kotaku or Rock Paper Shotgun. Its story arcs span intrepid epics from the great script leak of 2011, where the seeds of backlash were first sown. Subsequent chapters as the leak of the story book are also worth playing, where you discover that many of the supposed characters were not who you expected, adding both intrigue and drama into the mix. When the second act ended, and Hepler was stoned by the masses despite not even having a role in the great BioWar, I was rapt with trepidation as Sterling rode to her rescue. The third act proves to be even better, with such missions as the Great DLC Robbery and Space Needs Games. Indeed, ME 3 is a stunning indictment of the electronic gaming industry and the insidious ability for media outlets, backed with hard corporate cash, has morphed it into a culture of conformity. Mass Effect 3 highlights this process, from the beginning at the ashes of the previous game to its non-conclusion, in which we have to purchase for $9.99 on the Origin marketplace. The writing of this meta-game is beyond reproach, though the character design leads some room to be desired. However, this masterpiece has a few flaws. The mini-games are not particularly entertaining. The dating simulator is simplistic and contains much laughable dialogue, though it is understandable given that it is a satire designed to parody sophomoric RPGs of yesteryear. The "Cmmdr. Shepherd" gun and run sections fall prey to numerous glitches, rendering levels unplayable or at least requiring numerous playthroughs. Enemy designs are uninspired and spawn incessantly, a fitting tribute to the Gauntlet games that were such a great influence on Bioware. The level design is somewhat mediocre, but understandable given how the bulk of the development cycle was spent polishing the other areas of the meta-game, especially the Forums Realm.

Speaking of which, the Fandom faction's role throughout this game is simply tremendous. The Biodrone hive's rise and implosion was a chilling morality play fit for these uncertain times, and truly Bioware has conveyed in vibrant imagery what happens when large groups of people act mindlessly. Bioware's avant-garde depictions of "fanservice" present the proverbial fall of an hubristic artist become waylaid by easy money. ME 3 cleverly teaches this moral lesson, which should be remembered by every game designer, by showing the bizarre incestuous relationship between the fandom, engaged in the torid cutscenes known as "shipping", and the company itself. The company, in turn, rewards the fandom by courteously appropriating its creations, as we see vividly displayed in the ending, a beautiful DA artpiece that Bioware exposes to the world. Ultimately, Mass Effect 3 is not truly a game, but a moment. An experience. It transcends media boundaries and challenges our perceptions as to what games are and what they are made of and what they can do. Who are players and who are characters. What is the pH level of the bodily fluids of an alien lifeform. If you enjoy stunning cinematic takedowns, you will love this game.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    This website needs a real review....

This website needs a real review....

I'm giving this game a 9. After playing it through once, I have to say that in terms of gameplay and experiences, it is easily the best in the series. Unfortunately the game does have a rather ridiculous and depressing ending. Your choices throughout the game do little to affect the outcome. But the rest of the game is absolutely amazing. Quality writing, wonderful characters, beautiful environments and a greatly revamped inventory system make it the best in the series, save for the finale. I would give everything until the ending a 10. The end itself I give a 2.
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    A perfect game. They added more rpg elements back that they toned down in ME2, giving you more control over item customization and weapon variation as well as leveling, which I really appreciated. The story telling, as always is fantastic. Bioware remains one of the best game developers in history.

And for all you DLC whiners, don't buy it if you don't want it. But let's be honest, you should all just be glad that game prices haven't risen at all in the past few years. The cost to create new games continues to rise, but companies aren't punishing us, the gamers by raising costs again. They're finding creative ways to make a profit and in many cases break even. So if you want to rate a game a zero because a company is letting some people spend extra money on extra content so that I can still enjoy one of the best games ever made at $60, you all deserve the self misery you're forcing yourselves to live by not enjoying this game like you should.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    Please don't give the game 0/10 because you don't like the DLC. I have no DLC and the game is absolutely incredible, even better than ME2. You want to buy this, you will not regret it!!
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is a superb game, Everything is bigger and better and the combat has improved a lot, it is a lot more fluent. The only downside for me is the day one dlc but this is no reason to give the game a zero like all does haters. It's the best mass effect in the trilogy!
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the conclusion of the most well written story in gaming history. I have been gaming since the days of Zelda on the NES. This game takes everything we ever wanted in a video game and made it real. Our decisions, our choices, and our actions matter not across one cinematic but across a trilogy. If you told me 10 years ago a game will do this I would not have believed it.Mass Effect 3 is the conclusion of the most well written story in gaming history. I have been gaming since the days of Zelda on the NES. This game takes everything we ever wanted in a video game and made it real. Our decisions, our choices, and our actions matter not across one cinematic but across a trilogy. If you told me 10 years ago a game will do this I would not have believed it. This game engages you in such a way that you care about the characters; both those fighting with you and hating those or trying to understand those fighting against you. Mass Effect puts us in an universe that is comparable to Star Wars or Star Trek. This game is so big in content that this review is based on a few hours of game-play and the experience of ME1 and ME2. Anyone giving this game negative reviews because of the choices Sheppard can make regarding love interests are ignorant and narrow minded. This game is the Game of the Year contender right now as nothing slated for release this year can compare. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    The only reason there isn't more 10 out of 10 reviews right now is because people who are actually enjoying it are playing it right now. Trolls come in herds and think its fun to review negatively. If any game had only remote instances taken from ME1 & 2 it would never have at minimum a score of a 0 however this game far surpasses that in every aspect so I don't get it. MORE MASS EFFECTThe only reason there isn't more 10 out of 10 reviews right now is because people who are actually enjoying it are playing it right now. Trolls come in herds and think its fun to review negatively. If any game had only remote instances taken from ME1 & 2 it would never have at minimum a score of a 0 however this game far surpasses that in every aspect so I don't get it. MORE MASS EFFECT DOES NOT AND WILL NEVER constitute a score of 0 in my eyes. There was definitely a ton of work that went into this game and should be reviewed on the content it presents. Great game, if you are swayed by the trolls you would only be doing yourself a disservice. Expand
  18. Mar 7, 2012
    It's not the game I anticipated, but it IS a great game. The series came a long way. I was skeptical of the multiplayer component. Bioware blended the customization of ME1 and the streamlined gameplay of ME2. Even though ME2 was an improvement in almost every conceivable way, they listened to fans that took issue with the changes. Now many of the same fans are trolling metacritic.
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    Wonderful, emotional, massive, beautiful, meaningful, heartwarming, epic, end of an era, breath taking, superb, delightful, earth shattering, eye candy.

Thank you Bioware for finishing the trilogy with the same care and attention to detail you have given the entire series.
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Best game ever. Mass effect 3 not only caps off the story of the last two games it tells a gripping story on it's own. The combat is great, on par with earlier gears of war games. The multiplayer is an excellent addition to the series providing hours extra gameplay. The facial animations are great, the best I've seen. This is the game bioware promised and so much more
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    It's a shame that people are posting such misinformed and in more than one instance, homophobic reviews for this game. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is the best it has ever been and I've known this since the demo was released. The story is incredible (so far) and as I recall, the entire franchise is know for letting you make your own decisions - it doesn't force you intoIt's a shame that people are posting such misinformed and in more than one instance, homophobic reviews for this game. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is the best it has ever been and I've known this since the demo was released. The story is incredible (so far) and as I recall, the entire franchise is know for letting you make your own decisions - it doesn't force you into anything - claiming that you are 'forced' into a virtual gay relationship is absolutely absurd. Reviewing a game based on downloadable content, day one or not, is also absurd. It's unfortunate to see such a great game and a great developer being attacked in such a petty manner. The Mass Effect series has been among the best gaming experiences I have had, and Bioware deserves a lot more respect. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    This is why we have professional critics. Nothing about this game is a disappointment if you know what to expect. Make sure to pay attention to the content of individual reviews before jumping to conclusions.

Gameplay and RPG aspects are at the high-point in the series. The dialogue is still awful, even ungrammatic and stereotypical at times, but lovable. The "auto dialogue" complaints are mostly because Bioware decided to add something which adds atmosphere, flavor, and character depth in the narrative by putting more dialogue in specific context. Compare this to only being able to talk to squadmates on your ship on occasion, and having everything Shepard says pre-rendered anyway, choice or not; and having numerous examples of dialogue 'choices' where Shepard only said one thing, wherever his mouse or controller clicked on the wheel. This how increased sophistication of ME3's features relative to the previous games becomes basis for trolling.
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    Easily the best of the trilogy, and the best game of this console generation. Don't let the story scare you if you haven't played the first two(if you haven't, YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD). The game is a masterpiece, and should be checked out by anyone who plays video games period.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    esse game poderia ser exclusivo do xbox360, até pq a versão do ps3 ta pior sempre, multi console no xbox360 é super foda, ps3 tem muito nome e só isso!
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    Ignore this troll filled cavern that has become the User Score area for ME3... the critics reviews sum it up perfectly - the near perfect end to the best sci-fi trilogy ever, in any medium ever... I have clocked in 22 hours so far and it is blowing me away.. I've already needed to call in sick for the second day straight, my body was ready - but my timesheet wasn't.. it didn't ask forIgnore this troll filled cavern that has become the User Score area for ME3... the critics reviews sum it up perfectly - the near perfect end to the best sci-fi trilogy ever, in any medium ever... I have clocked in 22 hours so far and it is blowing me away.. I've already needed to call in sick for the second day straight, my body was ready - but my timesheet wasn't.. it didn't ask for this.. but it's damn well getting it. Mass Effect 3 holiday has begun!

With Mass Effect 2 being my all time favourite game ever, it's the best place to look for direct comparisons (sorry series noobz, you need to play ME1 & ME2 to truly appreciate this game IMHO). I would say it is less of a jump, more of a hop in terms of gameplay and mechanics compared to ME2, but THE STORY IS AMAZING (I'm over 1/2 way currently, and s*** is getting tense!) and the story/character development is designed so perfectly, Leonardo DaVinci would be proud of it's vision and divine beauty. If you were worried Bioware might have dumbed down the writing, you would be wrong. Don't let the demo's first bits penned dialogue give you a wrong impression of the rest of the games wordplay, it gets MUCH BETTER with 'We Fight or we Die that's the plan' and some other choice phrases from the very start of the game being the only real flat material.. seriously should have taken the demo from any other part of the game to showcase FAR better character interaction and impressive dialogue choice trees. I have noticed the further into the game you go, the more interwoven elements from the previous games become apparent and really knock your socks off... You get many Kaiser Soze moments, and I'm only 1/2 way through this bad boy.. The culmination of everything I love about Sci-Fi, Mass Effect 3 is a masterpiece.
    It's what Return of the Jedi should have been, it's that good. Go out and buy this now. A Mal Reynolds approved 'Shiny' full marks for my game of the.. well, life. (it's that good, honest!)
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    I'm appauled to see so much negative comments toward this game that just came out today. This game is clearly an excellent piece of work and Canadian developer BioWare have really out done themselves with the story. I almost laughed at the trolls posting so much negative stuff about a game they never really played yet. Graphics: 9.3/10 BioWare really improved the lighting this time aroundI'm appauled to see so much negative comments toward this game that just came out today. This game is clearly an excellent piece of work and Canadian developer BioWare have really out done themselves with the story. I almost laughed at the trolls posting so much negative stuff about a game they never really played yet. Graphics: 9.3/10 BioWare really improved the lighting this time around and the general atmosphere of the sci-fi is amazing. Some minor texture pop in is the only real downside. Sound: 10/10 the VO is absolutely top notch and the sound effects are nicely done too. Gameplay: 9.6/10 same basics as ME2 but wayyyy better combat. Length: 10/10 You'll beat it once and just want to play it again and again. Multiplayer is a nice addition too. Overall: 9.8/10 Masterpiece and a must buy. Don't listen to other user reviews on this game. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is awesome. All these people are just trolling. Stupid idiots ruining this website.......................................................................................................................
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    Its a solid game for me, with minor flaws. The flaws thats in the game is overshadowed by the great story. The game I think has more RPG elements than the 2:nd instalment but not as much as the first one. But it enough i think.
  29. Mar 9, 2012
    Incredible game. Filled with excitement. Great graphics, incredible story. People shouldn't play Mass Effect 3. They should live it. It's incredible, more than we could have hoped for.
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is perfect in every way. Granted, I'm mostly writing this review to counter all the droves of idiots that haven't even played the game yet.
  31. Mar 6, 2012
    I can't believe people are giving it zeros just because of day one DLC. Apparently they just don't know how game development works. 10 because it's an amazing game with amazing DLC
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    My favorite part of the trilogy. Had high hopes and it delivered in almost every aspect. It's amazing to see all the various stories, conflicts and character arcs started in ME1 5 years ago get proper resolutions
  33. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only thing that is kinda lame about ME3 is all the day 1 DLC. I agree that if we're already forking over $60 for a brand new game it's pretty cheap to make us pay another $10 for a few extra guns that aren't that great. That aside though ME3 is still an awesome game. If you've played the first two and had a good time I don't think the average player, who isn't a picky little priss, will find very much to complain about. Expand
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    People are rating this game bad based on things to do with, Homosexuality,day 1 DLC, and other stupid reasons. First of all, the day 1 DLC is not mandatory, it's just a DLC that feeds you more of a side story then anything else, and they made this AFTER they finished creating the game. What difference does it make if they release it on day 1 or waiting a month to release it? The DLC hasPeople are rating this game bad based on things to do with, Homosexuality,day 1 DLC, and other stupid reasons. First of all, the day 1 DLC is not mandatory, it's just a DLC that feeds you more of a side story then anything else, and they made this AFTER they finished creating the game. What difference does it make if they release it on day 1 or waiting a month to release it? The DLC has nothing to do with the main quest, it isn't vital. The people giving this game a 0 shouldn't review games, because I'm sure this game is better than a 0 or even mediocre. Most people giving this game a 0 haven't even played the game or they say the story sucks but they also say that they only played a few hours of the game. First of all complete the game before reviewing it. That is like rating a movie based on it's trailer. I'm not reviewing this game, because I haven't played it yet. But I was compelled to write to all those people who cry about dumb crap. They also say that there is hardely any gameplay it's all cutscenes.... Ok so why rate it 0? If that was the case then Metal Gear Solid 4 should of got a 0 too. I doubt that Mass Effect 3 had lenghty cutscenes like Metal Gear Soild 4. The Elder Scroll games get praised all the time (except for PS3 version) and everytime you walk through a door or o to a next area, it has to load. I don't see anyone complaining about that. But people complain about cutscenes. I'd rather watch a cutscene then watch a loading screen. Anyway you people destroy gaming, and are not happy with anything. maybe that is the reason games are becomming less fun, because the creators don't know what the "fans" want anymore. How come people go all crazy about any Call of Duty game and it's all recycled crap and they are all the same game, but they don't complain about that, they sell the same game every year, and people don't complain, but they will complain about Day 1 DLC for 10 bucks.. Bioware atleast tries to make a decent game. Same with Guitar Hero, people use to buy every Guitar Hero when infact it's all the same game. Just like Call of Duty. Yet these games get praised. Hmmmm..... Give the game a serious review, because a 0 isn't fair. Go play Call of Duty. Expand
  35. Nov 25, 2012
    a great action game, an overall great experience. Mass Effect 3 is probably one of the better games of this year, after dishonored, and one of my favorites too.
  36. Apr 16, 2013
    If the user score wasn't so low I'd give it a 9 or 8, but a 10 because it's so low... Why is it so low?! This game was absolutely incredible. It wasn't as good as the first or second, but this game is epic. Multiplayer was a worthy inclusion to it and everything else came together... An awesome game
  37. Nov 12, 2013
    This is definitely one of the best games i have ever played, and personally one of my favorites of all time. The story and characters are above average in fact they are the best i have ever seen in any game to date. There is so much emotion in the dialogue, the action is intense, well presented, and cinematic. The choices your character makes are more impact full. There is one instance inThis is definitely one of the best games i have ever played, and personally one of my favorites of all time. The story and characters are above average in fact they are the best i have ever seen in any game to date. There is so much emotion in the dialogue, the action is intense, well presented, and cinematic. The choices your character makes are more impact full. There is one instance in the game i won't spoil for anyone but it involves the Geth, and Tali, and one of the choices made me feel so much emotion i almost cried. Fortunately i ran into very little glitches. My personal favorite character from this game other than commander Shepard is The Illusive Man voice by Martin Sheen, he is well voiced, and character is well written. Now the only other problem with the game that i found was there were less companions, but each were interesting so that didn't bother me that much. For the people who say the ending ruined the game it didn't yes the original ending did not solve much it was just inconclusive but did not ruin the whole game. The ending did not interfere with my experience because overall the writing was extremely strong. There is a massive amount of content in this game. It took me Thirty plus hours. Overall i give this game a Ten, and it does not mean that the game is perfect it just means the pros far outweigh the cons. Expand
  38. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The graphics are starting to look a little out dated but there are moments where they look amazing. Mostly when there’s blue lighting. 9.0.
    Sound: Professional Bioware voice acting as you know it, themes were great. 10.
    Sound: Professional Bioware voice acting as you know it, themes were great. 10.
    Gameplay: The gameplay feels a little more casual than usual, although it is very similar to Mass Effect 2 (at least for my character). RPG elements are similar, but the game doesn’t need any tweaks, it seems just fine. The problem with the gameplay is that it gets way to repetitive, and I went ahead and did every mission available. It feels like a chore at times, and some moments that are meant to be scripted events, look only decent. In my opinion they should have left the scripted events to the professionals at Naughty Dog, but there are still okay moments, but nothing that will drop you out of your seat. Mass Effect 2 was better in almost every way. The way the game builds relationships is a lot more strict than in the previous game. Still with some of those cons, Mass Effect 3’s gameplay is still a must play, especially those like myself who transferred their saves since the first title. 8.5.
    Story: The story was a pretty good story, and near the ending it did get ridiculous but it was still okay. I didn’t really understand all the outrage just because of the ending, it was still a proper way to end a trilogy assuming that was Biowares goal. 8.0.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is still worth the buy, I clocked almost 30hours, doing everything. 10.
    Overall Score: 9.1 out of 10.
  39. Nov 29, 2012
    The galaxy is at war, the Reapers have begun their harvest of all sentient life in the galaxy and only you can stop them. Shepard must assemble his remaining crew members and the rest of their species to form together as a resistance and stop the Reapers. With a 30+ hour story, excellent shooting & RPG mechanics make Mass Effect 3 a fantastic end to the trilogy. The best sci-fi saga inThe galaxy is at war, the Reapers have begun their harvest of all sentient life in the galaxy and only you can stop them. Shepard must assemble his remaining crew members and the rest of their species to form together as a resistance and stop the Reapers. With a 30+ hour story, excellent shooting & RPG mechanics make Mass Effect 3 a fantastic end to the trilogy. The best sci-fi saga in years and one everyone should experience. Expand
  40. Mar 29, 2012
    Don't get me wrong. The game is as good as its predecessor...except that the endings are awful and most of them are the same. Will Indoctrination DLC get a better ending or not? We're going to find out.
  41. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too many harsh user reviews on here. True this game is let down by a lack of weight in the repercussions/benefits of decisions which do not carry over as was hoped from previous games, and the ending for me was a bit of a let down but overall its still a good game capturing the mass effect atmosphere with some darker undertones. The game lacks the vital end game that Mass effect 2 had and the player is never given enough control of the overall outcome which was something which was really felt in Mass Effect 2, decisions mattered. In Mass Effect 3 your given the illusion they matter until you find that they dont, they really should have, if they did, this would have been a great game. Simply it lets itself down by not following what made the first two great and found following one of the all time best games to tough an act to follow. Still enjoyable though and i hope there are further adventures to be had in the mass effect universe with bioware. Expand
  42. Dec 14, 2012
    Utterly breathtaking visuals. The levels/areas are just so incredibly detailed and grand in scale, but that seems to be theme of the game as a whole: Grandness. For me this game was a light step down from the last two games. It just didn't feel like you had the same sense of freedom that Mass Effect 1 & 2 offered you. But, I do get that it was the point and due to the narrative. The storyUtterly breathtaking visuals. The levels/areas are just so incredibly detailed and grand in scale, but that seems to be theme of the game as a whole: Grandness. For me this game was a light step down from the last two games. It just didn't feel like you had the same sense of freedom that Mass Effect 1 & 2 offered you. But, I do get that it was the point and due to the narrative. The story is just beyond grandness and it just builds and builds until ...... you get a really anti-climatic ending?! Thankfully the Extend Cut DLC does fix this and gives the ending it should have gotten (even though they still could have done better.) Overall: A fantastic finish to a wonderful trilogy and I look forward to where Mass Effect franchise will head to next. Expand
  43. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is an incredibly controversial game, it has seen a lot of hate for all the flaws it has, these include a lack of dialogue options compared to the original two, more action oriented gameplay and a unsatisfying ending, for the most part these criticisms are valid, but even though there are many problems with the game I have no trouble in saying that Mass Effect 3 is a masterpiece.

The Characters: Mass Effect 3 for all the things it did wrong, it did many things ozzing with greatness, first of the greatest thing about the game is the characters, Garrus, Liara, Mordin, Legion, Thane, Anderson and my personal favourite character in the third installment ; EDI. They all have masterful moments, these moments range from being incredibly sad and emotional to moments which put a massive smile on your face.

The Story: Mass Effect 3 has a damn good story (for the most part), and even though the story is a far worse RPG than 2, and especially Mass Effect 1, this doesn't mean that the story is any worse, people complain about the game compared to the previous two, but fail to realize that Mass Effect 3 is its own game, and is just as good, but in many different areas. The story is about taking down the reapers and gathering alliances to stop them, this will take you on an incredible journey full of beautifully executed moments, some of these moments I'd dare say are some of the greatest moments in media history.

Gameplay and Presentation: Mass Effect 3 has once again greatly improved the gameplay for the series, the shooting mechanics have been tweaked and are better than ever, which still not masterful by any means, with a few bugs here and there, they controls are still pretty damn good. The Presentation hasn't improved so much from Mass Effect 2, but then again Mass Effect 2's feel and artistic style was near perfect, so there's no complaints here. Unlike Mass Effect 1, where you would land on a planet, which where always the same planet, just re textured , with the same facilities and artistic design, Mass Effect 3's location all feel diverse and wonderfully crafted.

The Ending: The original ending was a highly disappointing conclusion, the extended cut made things a lot better, and despite the plot holes gave me a sense of closure

Conclusion: Mass Effect 3 is a wonderful game, with great characters, great stories and great artistic design, and despite its flaws, and Casey Hudson's artistic integrity, Mass Effect 3 is a tremendous game and deserves to be played.
  44. May 22, 2012
    I know lots of gamers think that the ending is very disappointing, but Bioware will bring the extended cut and then I decide about the ending-thing. Besides that ME3 is a solid third part of the franchise with good graphics, great voice acting, good story and perfect gameplay. Its multiplayer is also very addictive and you can have hours of fun with it. Great game, could be better but II know lots of gamers think that the ending is very disappointing, but Bioware will bring the extended cut and then I decide about the ending-thing. Besides that ME3 is a solid third part of the franchise with good graphics, great voice acting, good story and perfect gameplay. Its multiplayer is also very addictive and you can have hours of fun with it. Great game, could be better but I love it and I am a big fan since the first Mass Effect. Expand
  45. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fine ending to perhaps the greatest gaming series ever. Minor improvements over Mass Effect 2's battle engine, skill tree and weapon's features make this one familiar, yet better than previous installments. Yes, the ending was a bit lousy, but in no way does that hurt the gaming experience, though I'm interested to see what the company does with the alternate ending download. Expand
  46. Jun 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember waiting for ME3 last year, getting excited thanks to all the E3 footage, thinking about how good this game will be.Well, was I wrong?Mostly, no.The game is great and above average.But is it better than the previous games?

Not even close.The main thing that made ME1 & 2 so great was the storyline, the characters, the lore, the conversations.

The RPG and combat elements together in ME1 weren't so great and the game ended being quite buggy.But it had something that no other game at the time had.With ME2, this was taken to the next level with even more conversation options and characters.ME2 was a rather personal tale, and while it was incredible, it felt more like a sub story.The amount of depth in the game's characters is something that you don't normally see.While the combat improved in ME2, the RPG elements were dumbed down to the point where it's just barely an RPG, but still being acceptable.

Now, based on the above, what you would expect from ME3 is more refined, better RPG elements and more focus on the main storyline with the convo options staying mainly the same.

But no.What we got with ME3 is insane amount of auto dialogue, less conversation options, and an overall more simple plot.Oh, and we also got totally GOW like combat and multiplayer.WHY?

Now if you actually read this far, you might be wondering what I mean by "more simple plot".While the previous games had many twists and turns to keep the story rolling, the only proper twist in ME3 was SPOILERS the citadel being the catalyst.Now, I do agree with others that the Tuchanka & Rannoch missions were incredible and very well written, the storyline itself is about nothing but gaining alliances while a super plot device being built.

The other thing I disliked about the story is some of the villians.The illusive man was one of the most interesting characters through ME2, and I could've imagined him being both the villian and the secret ally in ME3.But, instead, he is forced to be a villian, and not just that, but they also made him completely retarded in ME3.Some might argue that he is indoctrinated however, i'm quite sure he isn't right up untill he "injects himself" (seen aboard the Cerb. hq, on the very last video log.)Kai Leng, is just lame.He was a great villian in the books, but here he's just a **** who only survives as long as he does because of plot shields and his precious gunship.

The combat being upgraded to GOW level was just completely unnessacary.But the worst thing still is what they did to the convo options.Shepard doesn't really feel like your shepard anymore.Or not mostly anyways.

The other, very big issue with ME3 is the sidequests.The fetch quests are just boring and rather pointless, while the N7 missions are just multiplayer maps with some lore attached to them.They bored me to death, honestly.

Now that my main issues are out of the way, let's discuss the good things about ME3.
    -Although the combat is very GOW like, it is quite fun, and the more improved RPG elements are just great.
    -Many of the missions are very well put together, infact, I have to say I enjoyed most of them, besides the retarded fetch quests and N7 missions of course.
    -While the convo options are dumbed down, the dialogue itself, is very well written and a real treat to long time fans.The only dialogue I was honestly dissapointed with is the speeches, which are not half as epic as they were in ME2.
    -The multiplayer, while completely unnessacary, is quite enjoyable.For some time, atleast.The unlock system, although critisized by many, is one of the highlights of the MP in my opinion.
    -The (NEW) ending.The ending, at first, before EC, was horrible.No closure, no explanation, just crap.With EC on the other hand, the ending is very well explained and also gives more than enough closure as well as a much better reflection of your choices.
    -The graphics and the scenery is nice.Not the best, and certainly won't impress and PC graphics geeks, it is good.

Overall, dispite the unforgivable thing they did to the storytelling and converstations, the game still ends up being great.I personally enjoyed it a lot, even like this, although I was left somewhat dissapointed.

8.4/10
  47. Mar 28, 2012
    Everything you have come to enjoy and expect from mass effect. The gameplay is improved and the places you go feel alive. Multiplayer is a nice tack on fun to play with friends bad is its a pick up group. The game as a whole is fantastic...until it ends. I'm not going to down my score based on that alone but I will let be known that I hope Bioware does follow through and give their loyalEverything you have come to enjoy and expect from mass effect. The gameplay is improved and the places you go feel alive. Multiplayer is a nice tack on fun to play with friends bad is its a pick up group. The game as a whole is fantastic...until it ends. I'm not going to down my score based on that alone but I will let be known that I hope Bioware does follow through and give their loyal fan base the ending they deserve. It's not a band wagon thing or trying to ruin their artistic integrity because I do believe games have become a form of art. I believe it is their right to tell their story the way they want. But a story is not a story without the final act. Bioware has done something amazing that no other game has done to date. Made a series when the player is so engaged and involved in a game that it has become the players story. That in itself is an accomplishment and it shows with the player backlash with the ending we were provided. So I recommend this game and the entire series to anyone. I have high hopes that Bioware will prove they are as loyal to their fans as their fans are to them and the Mass Effect universe. Expand
  48. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a stunning game, the ending aside. We all know it's not what we were promised, but people are allowing the ending to cloud their judgement of a massively proficient game. I admit I haven't touched the multiplayer (not my cup of tea), so I won't mention that in this review. There are other weak points, the picking up of random missions is a bit arbitrary, the reaper alertness everyThis is a stunning game, the ending aside. We all know it's not what we were promised, but people are allowing the ending to cloud their judgement of a massively proficient game. I admit I haven't touched the multiplayer (not my cup of tea), so I won't mention that in this review. There are other weak points, the picking up of random missions is a bit arbitrary, the reaper alertness every time you scan is annoying and James Vega is a waste of a squad space and a pointless character. I'd also like to point out that the Day 1 DLC was a bad idea, with one mission and a character that brings little to the game.
    But the good? The variety of enemies is much better than previous games, requiring different tactics to take them down. The combat is vastly improved from ME2, the enemy AI is a large part of this. They will flank you, lay down cover fire to protect weaker units and play to their own strengths. It's tougher all round and makes you feel like you are fighting for your survival every step of the way.
    The story is fantastic, if you enter into conversations with many of the NPC's you will see the decisions you made in previous stories and how they affect these character's reaction to you. And there are many of these previous characters to interact with. There are genuine twists and tragedies and in parts I was shocked, overjoyed and thrilled. So much work has gone into immersing you in this world and it is a rewarding experience.
    The ending is a weak point as I've said, but judging a game on this alone is unfair to the people who have produced it and those of us who didn't feel cheated. I actually felt hopeful that another story will follow, maybe not Shepherd and doubtful it will be called Mass Effect, but with some new ideas and set in the same universe.
    A fitting end to one of the best series I have ever played.
  49. Apr 3, 2012
    Get it straight, Mass Effect 3 is mainstream. It's not going to have meticulous weapon and armor switching, it's not going to have open unstructured environments, it's going to be heavy-handed and blunt at times, It's depiction of relationships is blunt to put it kindly. It's going for mass appeal. ME3 is built to be accessible and fun. You'll be killing enemies in style until theGet it straight, Mass Effect 3 is mainstream. It's not going to have meticulous weapon and armor switching, it's not going to have open unstructured environments, it's going to be heavy-handed and blunt at times, It's depiction of relationships is blunt to put it kindly. It's going for mass appeal. ME3 is built to be accessible and fun. You'll be killing enemies in style until the ridiculous upswing in difficulty for the final few waves of enemies. All the characters play it a little too straight and the narrative isn't quite as enrapturing as ME2, but this is made up for by your ability to influence the game-world. The effects of your choices from past games are a little underwhelming, but the pay-offs for plot points from the past games like the genophage and the quarian geth conflicts are excellent. While the missions have never been more linear some of the areas, particularly those levels that take place during reaper attacks or the the climax on tuchanka are breathtakingly large in scope. There's a futility to what you are trying to do throughout and this is reinforced by these scenes of chaos and destruction. Mass Effect 3 is to the point, with smartly designed levels (i don't think i ever came close to getting lost) and refined cover based shooting, as always powers are way cooler (if you want to have fun play vanguard). The combat has never been better, although easy, it's never unwelcome. The stories are meaningful, the characters feel real. the games never played better. It's not going to be the complex rpg shooter bioware once promised (the way they makes games has changed a lot since KOTOR), but it is a different take on cover based shooters that for me is way more fun than gears of war.
    The ending is the most important ending of a video game, ever. i've never cared about the end of a game this much. Even though it's a bit of a Sopranos ending, it's gotten a similar media swell to that ending and they do say that any press is good press. I don't really think it's good to end your story with something so controversial it creates an uproar from your most loyal fans but even if you hate the ending you have to admit no other ending would have brought this kind of attention. I've been obsessed enough with the ending that I wrote this entire review, full of important points, as fast as I possibly could so I could talk about the ending. I've never been so consumed by the ending of a game. Bioware are either idiots, or the most despicable geniuses in the history of video games. Either they see a thematic reason to make the end of their final game contradict everything the series has ever been about, or they're geniuses who came up with the greatest twist ending of a video game and challenged the idea of what games could achieve as an art form. of course if they are geniuses and the games final message to the player, which promises future content, was the first step of their diabolical plan they have destroyed video games claim to status as an art form by excluding the true ending of the series in an attempt to make more money by selling it as DLC. Even if they decide to give it away it will only prove that they felt for remorse for what was going to be the most mind-bending thing to happen in a videogame. So evil geniuses or idiots, either way, it's a game you have to play.
  50. Dec 5, 2012
    this my vote examines the entire trilogy. I can only give a 10 for the great experience and the world who have created the developers. One of the best games ever.
    However, the fianle has not been clear from the start. Perhaps it was not understood. Even I was left with many questions. The original ending is worth just sufficiency. The idea of the catalyst and of the sacrifice of Shepar we can 'stay. It was enough to deepen the dialogue and the final scenes after the final choice.
  51. Dec 18, 2012
    Loved it. Possible game of the year. Only problem was horribly tacked on multiplayer, which doesn't matter because this game is all single player. Ignore people complaining about the ending, it's fine if you download the free Extended Cut DLC. Overall fantastic game.
  52. Jul 14, 2012
    I previously reviewed this game before the EC was released and gave it a 0, the ending is much more satisfying and would have been a 10/10 if I had been able to have that experience on the first play through.
  53. Jun 26, 2012
    The new ending is a huge improvement and the series now feels a lot more complete. The game is such an amazing experience, no one in their right mind should pass on it.
  54. Apr 7, 2012
    OK- had to review this, just finished the game, and then looked at all of the bad reviews, had to throw in my 2 cents.

This game is not a 0 or a 1 - not a 10, but a very good game. I suspect everyone giving it a 0 or 1 mostly hated losing a loved character that they invested so much time in and the ENDING. To me, the game felt similar to ME2, but more dramatic and BIG - I was blown away with some of the impact this game had. I really enjoyed it. I can understand how people did not like the ending, but this was a story arc that was planned from the beginning, and I can accept that the developer decided that the story arc ended like this. If Shepherd was able to live, I guess that people would be giving it a similar score to ME2. I overlooked some of the cheesiness and warts that the game has, and enjoyed the journey. I give it an edge over ME2. On one hand - much better combat, and real emotional impact for me. One the other hand - poorer writing, less free will, and some unnecessary searches for random 'war assets' that only took away from the game. THE GOOD: 1. The cinematic quality was very good. 2. The battles and action is so much better than ME1 and 2, where I felt battles were not as good as the role-playing elements. Every battle in ME3 felt felt exciting and like I had some valid options. The diverse enemies kept me on my toes. I was stuck early in the game on Regular difficulty, redoing a battle like 10 times, until I got used to the new more realistic battles, and then I was able to play most of it on a harder difficulty, and I really enjoyed the fights, instead of just trying to get through them to get back to the story.
    3. Throughout much of the game, my actions from ME2 and ME3 MATTERED - I was SO pissed off and emotionally invested when my actions from the games turned out to wipe out a group of people in the game and had one of my members commit suicide. I was really upset, but that really added to the idea that my actions have ramifications. Wow, I at the time I thought that I was doing the right things, but in hindsight I could see how my decisions led to the bad result. THE BAD:
    1. Too short.
    2. The game does take away some control - your character has less leeway - the story and the cinematic quality of the game sacrifice some free will.
    3. EA's and MSoft's money grubbing ways. I will rarely play a new game - I will play a used copy most of the time. I will never buy downloadable content on XBL for this game or another game. I will probably never pay to play games on XBL. Why? Horrible value! I don't want to be bled dry by the greedy big names. Look at the appstore model - a bunch of free and affordable entertainment. I don't regret buying this.
  55. Apr 8, 2012
    The Mass Effect trilogy receives it's latest and last chapter. After starting up the game I immediately noticed big differences. You have 'less say' in the dialogue options. Comparing it to Mass Effect 1 it's a huge leap backwards. Why would you take away something that made the first one so great?! Don't get me wrong, you still have times where you have to choose between outcome A or B,The Mass Effect trilogy receives it's latest and last chapter. After starting up the game I immediately noticed big differences. You have 'less say' in the dialogue options. Comparing it to Mass Effect 1 it's a huge leap backwards. Why would you take away something that made the first one so great?! Don't get me wrong, you still have times where you have to choose between outcome A or B, and believe me when I say that those choices are immensely difficult, that because you realy care about the characters and story... also Mass Effect 3 hugely improved on the combat system, it's near perfect. You realy enjoy using the weapons and powers to take town hordes of enemies... this all on a great galactic scale while explosion and reaper invasion-sounds hurl around you. Epic, I'd say. The Multiplayer has this great combat aswel, minus the epicness that you get in the single-player ofc. ... After having several friends telling me the ending is completely out of place... I finally got to the end. I have to say, it's not THAT bad... It's still epic and the climax is there! ... but I do have to agree, it gives no closure on Shepard or everyone else around him/her. Mass Effect 3 is a great game, you notice the hard labor that Bioware made for making this title, and the Original Score + the graphical design and presentation makes this one hell of a trip into the sci-fi universe of Mass Effect. So all in all, I know the ending could've been much better, but since EA announced they will give us more closure in the near future, I believe it will make this game jump that one step higher on my personal scoreboard. Expand
  56. Nov 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the second greatest game of all time, second only to Mass Effect 2 which is the greatest game of all time. There is nothing wrong with the original ending of this game, it fits perfectly with everything and the extended cut just made the ending 10X better than what it already is. The entire journey of Mass Effect has been the best gaming experience i've ever had and i'veMass Effect 3 is the second greatest game of all time, second only to Mass Effect 2 which is the greatest game of all time. There is nothing wrong with the original ending of this game, it fits perfectly with everything and the extended cut just made the ending 10X better than what it already is. The entire journey of Mass Effect has been the best gaming experience i've ever had and i've played about every console game out there. This game is the conclusion of your own commander shepard the way you chose to take him/her through this amazing well crafted story is met with praise and respect from your companions or the death and extinction of entire alien species. The voice acting is perfect while the soundtrack never fails to bring out your emotions. Plus Bioware releasing free multiplayer DLC with more to come just makes this experience worth every penny. I would give this game a 20 out of 10 but thats off the scale and thats all you need to know. Expand
  57. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 took me through the most emotionally packed ride in my life. From the opening on Earth to the very end, it held my attention and awarded me with some the best scenes I have ever experienced. The game-play felt much tighter than Mass Effect 2 and supremely better than Mass Effect 1. It feels like Bioware took the best aspects of both games to produce one super poweredMass Effect 3 took me through the most emotionally packed ride in my life. From the opening on Earth to the very end, it held my attention and awarded me with some the best scenes I have ever experienced. The game-play felt much tighter than Mass Effect 2 and supremely better than Mass Effect 1. It feels like Bioware took the best aspects of both games to produce one super powered behemoth. Plus, the added a multiplayer which is oddly addictive and fun (especially with the inclusion of other species to choose from). The only real gripe I have for the game is the one new character who feels too much like The Situation. Otherwise the games greatest achievement is the vast amounts of great characters. For those who gripe about the last 6minutes, I will quote a wise song, "At the end of it all, gamers play what we play, not for game over, but what we take away". Trust me, you will take away a lot. Expand
  58. Mar 19, 2012
    The game mechanics have been improved from ME2 with improved AI on higher difficulty and the inclusion of better melee attack capabilities. Quest/sub-quest UI is one of the issues a player will contend with. As well as some cover issues.
    The game's story telling is very well executed until the last few minutes because it reduces the whole series re-playability. There are still some bugs that Bioware will have to deal with across all platforms to make the game more enjoyable. Multi-player is fairly decent but needs some more development into it to make it worth playing on its own.
  59. Mar 20, 2012
    I think Hee-Haw said it best, "Gloom, despair and agony on me." Mass Effect 3 doesn't offer much in the way of happiness, and I walked away from this game feeling sick to my stomach. The Mass Effect trilogy took me on an incredible journey, and left me reeling in pain. In case you missed it, these are all good things.
  60. Mar 26, 2012
    People seem to be mad because the ending isn't "what they expected" and while BioWare could've done a better ending, instead of everyone getting the same 3 possible endings, you can't deny the game itself is beautiful and perfectly crafted, the gameplay is flawless and the multiplayer was a surprisingly pleasant addition.
    The story is perfectly made, however, BioWare was unable to put all
    The story is perfectly made, however, BioWare was unable to put all the pieces back together in the ending, which is slightly disappointing.
    But people are being way too harsh with the game, a bad ending doesn't make a good game the worst game ever. People are overreacting.
    And while it is obvious that EA took out the Prothean and made it DLC to make money, I actually found myself preferring Javik over all the in-game characters, a bit overpriced.
  61. Mar 27, 2012
    I purposely stayed from reading any reviews, listening to any gaming podcasts, going on any gaming websites, basically tuned myself completely out from all media involved in gaming form the first day ME3 came out on March 6th, until the day I finished on march 13th. My initial feeling of the game I just played and finished, was simply WOW! And there were plenty of those moments throughoutI purposely stayed from reading any reviews, listening to any gaming podcasts, going on any gaming websites, basically tuned myself completely out from all media involved in gaming form the first day ME3 came out on March 6th, until the day I finished on march 13th. My initial feeling of the game I just played and finished, was simply WOW! And there were plenty of those moments throughout as well. This is on a short list of games that put me on such a ride, emotionally. There is so much heart in this game, the character development is off the charts. The story was grim and the desperation was evident. As the story went on I really began to get a sense of how this would end up. Little did I know that, the result of my initial playthrough would result in one of the worst, of the possible endings, and I still accepted it, and liked it. Shepherd and these other noble heroes sacrificing themselves for the future, is nothing short of spot on. Almost immediately after finishing the game, I went to Metacritic because I wanted to see other people's reactions to the game, and what the "pros" in the industry had to say as well. Then I saw it and I was beside myself!!!! Terrible user scores and as I dug deeper into the why, I was appalled! I thought maybe, I had searched the wrong game as all I saw was a cry baby effect! Look the ending may have left something to be desired, but I will ALWAYS side with the right of the creative forces behind the art, to do what they want with THEIR art, and not with those that stomp their feet and hold their breath like loud obnoxious spoiled children. IMO, this is the epitome of all that is wrong with our society and unfortunately is becoming more and more prevalent in it. This sense of entitlement, and utter outrage when things don't go as we see that they should. Everyone has the right to make their voices heard, and they should, but there is a proper way to do it. And I really thought this community of gamers, was above the idiotic 99% mentality, when it comes to making our voices heard. Everyone of those that, IMO, went too far......hey go out and make your own game. You can make it ANY way YOU want! Just like those at Bioware can make their game anyway THEY want. Have we all really forgotten to put ourselves in other peoples shoes, for even a second and rationalize things, in the hopes of making sense of something we don't agree with? Or are we barreling down a moral slope where we just stomp our fists in anger and he who yells the loudest wins? Also, really!?!?! Zero scores form users??? Wow, I mean c'mon, even if the assertion that the ending was horrible, the other 30+ hours were amazing, or at least somewhere in the middle.
    Lastly, I just have to say that I've seen all the arguments why the ending was "horrible" and have to say I can only give credence to one and that is that it was too ambiguous. There wasn't the necessary closure and I'll get to that in a second. Thinking back on things that happened in the first two games, things the story told us, the ending makes PERFECT sense, and is one of the most well put together stories ever (in any medium). They were telling us all along how it was going to play out and it did. The clues were there all along, we just had to pay attention to them and be able to bring the memories of them back when we needed them, maybe that's why it was so confusing because it didn't (outright) spell everything out for us, but kept the heart of the game in tact right up to the final decision, in that it was always about making the best decision based on the knowledge we had about the situation and living with the consequences, or just making the decision based on what we just "wanted to do", point is it was up to the player, the information was put in front of us and it was up to us to decide 1) how to play the game, 2) how much to prepare for the final battle and 3) the final decision (along with the romances, relationship stuff as well.) But to all those that said it made no sense, it did (at least to me) and I'm good with that! I really feel sorry for you all that it upset you so much but that's life (it is) and should be dealt with accordingly. I know this series (which I hold as one of the greatest ever) took a LOT of all of us, time wise, emotionally, economically........but at the end of the day it's still just a game and Bioware doesn't OWE us anything. They, like us, can CHOOSE, to make the game how they feel it best, and we can choose to support their future projects how we feel is most appropriate. But yeah, I would have liked to see more of what happened to all those characters I came to love so much, but that's not 100% necessary either. We'll either find out (one way or the other) or I have a very good imagination and am able to think it through logically enough that I'd bet I'd be pretty close to being right! Thanks Bioware, for a GREAT game and series. It really was a wonderful ride!
  62. Mar 28, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a great game that keeps pace with the high quality of the rest of the series. Gameplay wise we all know the drill, and if you played the other games in the series you should be very familiar with it. The narrative is tense and you know the galaxy is at stake this time. I loved both the characters, with all their releations, and the tense plot. Allthough being a sequel theyMass Effect 3 is a great game that keeps pace with the high quality of the rest of the series. Gameplay wise we all know the drill, and if you played the other games in the series you should be very familiar with it. The narrative is tense and you know the galaxy is at stake this time. I loved both the characters, with all their releations, and the tense plot. Allthough being a sequel they could have fixed minor gameplay flaws from earlier games, like the semi-broken cover system that sometimes can be anoying and imprecise. The roleplaying elements could also have been more prominent, which I think the first one in the series did best. But all in all an amazing gaming experience. I strongly recommend playing on hardcore difficulty, because the enemy A.I. is smarter and more challenging which is a great thing. ME3 has some of the best enemy AI I have seen in a long time. Expand
  63. Mar 29, 2012
    I've really enjoyed this game. The graphics look great. I was able to import my save files from ME1 and 2. The combat is upgraded, and feels even smoother than in the second. The ending, which most people have a problem with, I actually really liked. I felt like as the game moved along, loose ends were being tied together while the plot still advanced, and characters met their end (orI've really enjoyed this game. The graphics look great. I was able to import my save files from ME1 and 2. The combat is upgraded, and feels even smoother than in the second. The ending, which most people have a problem with, I actually really liked. I felt like as the game moved along, loose ends were being tied together while the plot still advanced, and characters met their end (or not!) based purely on my actions. Honestly, my main complaint is being forced to run around with my gun out nearly the entire time, and some occasional issues during combat when I was unable to take cover for some unknown reason. Overall, I'll give this game a 9/10, for a few technical bugs, but an overwhelmingly intriguing plot, and a high replay value. Thanks for reading! Expand
  64. Mar 30, 2012
    I think people are going overboard with the ending. I know it sucks but it doesn't mean you have to completely slaughter the entire game. Apart from the ending, the game was one of the best games I've ever played. They got the mechanics right, graphics look crisp and the storytelling at its best. The game does need a lot more closure though.
  65. Mar 31, 2012
    ***POTENTIAL SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO HEAR ABOUT THE BACKLASH OR EXPERIENCE THE GAME FOR YOURSELF*** Although ME3 is in fact imperfect, it's still a worthy addition to the series. The gameplay, visuals, soundtrack, etc. are all top notch. Bioware didn't deviate much from ME2, but they sure did put on an excellent display for the fans. I think the majority of people that***POTENTIAL SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO HEAR ABOUT THE BACKLASH OR EXPERIENCE THE GAME FOR YOURSELF*** Although ME3 is in fact imperfect, it's still a worthy addition to the series. The gameplay, visuals, soundtrack, etc. are all top notch. Bioware didn't deviate much from ME2, but they sure did put on an excellent display for the fans. I think the majority of people that have issues with the ending are just not getting the big picture. "Disowning" Bioware... one of the funniest things I've seen or heard in my entire life. Nonsense. Move on! It's a video game, a form of leisure time activity, entertainment, a form of art, it's not a law or a living thing or a crisis. If I had a dollar for every time I was "disappointed" about a form of entertainment and I carried on the way the "cause" did, I'd be filthy rich. This isn't the first time people were disappointed and it certainly won't be the last. All you have to do is abstain from gaming and we'll all be better off. Why don't you go design a better series (with stellar ending) and I will be the first to line up and purchase it. If not, then go back to your home on W__re Island! (Uh oh, I left some blanks, I better not leave anything open to interpretation or I will be forced by thousands of infants to alter my statement!) Seems as though the people that didn't get the "ending" have been owned SO HARD by Bioware and could very well be one of the best moments in gaming history. The way this game ends makes the series that much better for me! Even if you dislike the ending, it's still a damn good game! This game is excellent for anyone that has enjoyed the series. It's not much of a departure from ME2 but if you liked that one then I am sure you will enjoy ME3. I can't wait to see what they had planned all along! Great job EA/ Bioware! Thanks for 4 plus years of Shepard. I've never experienced a gaming series anything like it! Expand
  66. Mar 31, 2012
    Great Series and all around a great game throughout until that little boy, child, god, reaper thing appeared on the citadel. Everything after that boys appearence is awfull. It was a terrible ending and all the endings are exactly the same. The real choice you have at the end is, What is your favorite color, red blue or green? However, the game is still great until the last 8 minutes. TheGreat Series and all around a great game throughout until that little boy, child, god, reaper thing appeared on the citadel. Everything after that boys appearence is awfull. It was a terrible ending and all the endings are exactly the same. The real choice you have at the end is, What is your favorite color, red blue or green? However, the game is still great until the last 8 minutes. The fighting is amazing, the characters are interesting, not as good as ME2, but still good and customization is widened. The multiplayer is also fun. Its not going to be able to compete with Gears horde, or halos firefight, or even cods zombies, but it is still fun none the less. The game all around is great, what keeps it from a 10 is the terrible ending, but the ending shouldn't take away from the great game and series that came before it. To all of those who gave it 1s... Settle down. Don't be so extreme. The game is good. The ending is bad, but your not rating the ending, your rating the entire game, and most of the game is solid Expand
  67. Apr 1, 2012
    So I had been following all the hype around this game prior to its release and had bought into it all because, and I'm certain even the disappointed will agree, this was by far the most engaging video game ever made. Even ME 3 was an amazing experience, the whole quarian vs geth storyline and the conclusion of it was easily the most powerful sub plot in a game i've ever experienced. TheSo I had been following all the hype around this game prior to its release and had bought into it all because, and I'm certain even the disappointed will agree, this was by far the most engaging video game ever made. Even ME 3 was an amazing experience, the whole quarian vs geth storyline and the conclusion of it was easily the most powerful sub plot in a game i've ever experienced. The ending though... what a grumble inducing affair it was! It was clearly rushed... even if this had been a single game that ending would not have sufficed. Bur for a trilogy, its down right criminal to end with a five minute cut scene. There had to have been a fully playable epilogue chapter. Shepard's death in itself wasn't the disappointment it was more the callousness with which this legend we had been building for years was abandoned is what broke all the hearts. Shepard dying is a fitting option for sure, adding invaluably to the replayability of the whole series. But bioware seriously needed to take a leaf from the RDR book wherein the protag dies in the penultimate chapter allowing for closure for the ones left behind. Ofcourse for those players who managed to make the decision throughout the series to keep Shepard alive in the end would be awarded with shepard as the Protag of the final/epilogue chapter as well. Alas, Bioware has dropped the ball on that opportunity and even if they come out with a DLC fixing this problem it will not hold the same value or meaning.
    Having said that, the game itself is remarkable and kudos to Bioware for undertaking this mystifying journey and bringing us along for the ride. In all honesty the plotline of the ME series has never been as strong as the subplots and relationships and feeling of camaraderie that the game was able to bring to players and as far as those attributes are concerned, let me just say that even though i sided with the geth initially, the very next day, after a sleepless night haunted by visions of Tali's heartbreaking death, i simply had to go back and kill the geth of instead. And its not just Tali... Garruss, and Liara... Mordin and Wrex... Ashley and Miranda and joker and Kelly and even EDI... these were more than just team mates, they were real friends who my shepard cared about and who cared about him. No one has ever been able to do that before, it is a feeling exclusive to the ME series and a feeling that i will crave to feel again until someone take the ME formula and improves on it to deliver a the masterpiece this game was until they botched up the climax. All in all, it was one hell of an experience and it would have been all that much better had Bioware given the time and effort to the ending that this game deserved. Even so i'm grateful for the effort they did put in. Now they need to work on a new ME series, one set in the aftermath of this one. They need to do it soon and they need to do it right.
  68. Mar 29, 2012
    Insane scores on here for this great game. ME3 has moved on from its RPG roots to action/rpg drama. It does this well (but not without flaws). The bad : cover system is not right, day 1 DLC & the infamous ending, which offers virtually identical endings BUT watching the ending for the first time, it is a worthy ending to a great trilogy. The good : Great Story, humour, acting, greatInsane scores on here for this great game. ME3 has moved on from its RPG roots to action/rpg drama. It does this well (but not without flaws). The bad : cover system is not right, day 1 DLC & the infamous ending, which offers virtually identical endings BUT watching the ending for the first time, it is a worthy ending to a great trilogy. The good : Great Story, humour, acting, great graphics, surprisingly good multi player (-cover system), great musical score, great character realisation, improved accessibility, improved combat mechanics, great AI (at higher levels), properly hard mode. It is not a perfect game, but it is pretty close and the best Bioware game since DAO. Just because a game is not perfect does not mean it gets scored at 0. Expand
  69. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found Mass Effect 3 a really enjoyable experience. Game expands on most characters in a nice way, it is constructed in a detailed manner, there are almost none continuity issues, combat is well-paced and pretty fun. Sound/music department is great, graphics is ok (nothing special).
    There are many issues though, much more important than the dumb ending. Only one quest hub, few interesting characters (cmon, i had to run with Garrus and Liara all the time, Tali and Ashely late in game, rest was crap), useless quest tracker (!!). They could expand on evading Reapers, managing fuel and scanning planets as well. I didnt like the idea of galaxy readiness either. The game could use some more mature attitude also, it just holds your hand too much imo.
    When it comes to that **** about ending - I dont really understand the whole fuss. It was dumb, I admit, especially the part where whole galaxy is left stranded orbiting around Earth with mass relays destroyed. I hate the star-kid idea as well - cmon, does every major rpg need this kind of closure, when you learn there is some new **** villain you never heard of before? But apart from this I liked Shepard - Illusive confrontation and the whole sacrafice thing that everyone anticipated anyways. It was pretty touching and allows for expanding history in the future - all of us want more ME anyway, right?
  70. Apr 4, 2012
    To say that Mass Effect 3's ending is polarising would be a great understatement. You either love it or hate it. That said, the ending does not render the rest of the journey null and void. The 30-odd hours it'll take your Shepard to reach the conclusion of this game rank amongst the most memorable experiences in gaming history. Wonderfully fleshed-out characters, beautiful alien worldsTo say that Mass Effect 3's ending is polarising would be a great understatement. You either love it or hate it. That said, the ending does not render the rest of the journey null and void. The 30-odd hours it'll take your Shepard to reach the conclusion of this game rank amongst the most memorable experiences in gaming history. Wonderfully fleshed-out characters, beautiful alien worlds and a rich universe have always been trademarks of the series... and the ending does little to diminish the fact that the Mass Effect trilogy is one of the best sci-fi properties ever created. Films such as Star Wars, Star Trek and Alien have crafted amazing worlds... but none have allowed you to create your own place in the universe quite like Bioware's trilogy. Expand
  71. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First let me say that this is a great series and until the last 10 minutes of the game, this was the best game in the series. Most of the game really felt like a fitting end to the series. The gameplay is amazing, the visuals are stunning, and this game provokes more feeling in the player than any game(or book or movie for that matter) I've ever experienced. You make choices that allow people to sacrifice themselves, and you care about these characters. You are filled with hope and despair, joy and sadness, all at the right places. Then there is the ending. I won't say anything specific about what happens at the end, but I still checked the box for spoilers because even what I will say will be considered spoilers by many. None of your choices mattered. There are three endings and which you get or are successful are all based on your Effective Military Strength number. What's worse is that the endings aren't even functionally different. They destroy the ME universe and the franchise. I felt completely numb after finishing the series for a while and then the anger started to grow. The one good thing I can say about the ending is that there is a movement to change it so we might end up getting the ending we deserve. Expand
  72. Jun 26, 2012
    After this extended cut update, i forgive bioware for the issues with the ending of the game, i withdraw my last review and now give you a true review, thank you bioware.
  73. Mar 28, 2012
    I never trust the user side, so I thought i'd drop my two cents. Heres the thing, Mass Effect fans will give the most accurate assessment and newcomers will miss the point. The Mass Effect franchise, has added 3 things here, to make newcomers interested: multi-player, kinect and 2 new dumbed down ways to make you think that Mass Effect is not an rpg. You can now choose to play story mode,I never trust the user side, so I thought i'd drop my two cents. Heres the thing, Mass Effect fans will give the most accurate assessment and newcomers will miss the point. The Mass Effect franchise, has added 3 things here, to make newcomers interested: multi-player, kinect and 2 new dumbed down ways to make you think that Mass Effect is not an rpg. You can now choose to play story mode, which makes gameplay super casual or you can choose shooter mode, which removes dialogue choices. If your rating Mass Effect 3, below a solid "8," it is because you chose to play one of the 2 new modes. If you truly have an intrest in this amazing franchise, pick up a copy of the orginal. Going straight into ME3, means that you are buying it for multi-player, which is a bad reason. Now, I have played through the campaign 3 times and it is a must to experience, if you know what is going on. ME3 is straight up war, so it's a bit more straight foward, then it's predecessor, which had more character depth. Mass Effect 3 fits perfectly into the direction of the story. The complaints about the ending are valid though. It is a disappointing end to an epic journey. It did not ruin my experience. So if your a fan, then you already own ME3. If your low balling, it's because you are not playing the game the way it was intended to be played. I hear that it works well with motion controls though, but story or shooter modes just dumb down the experience. Mass Effect 3 is an awesome game, if you tend on investing into the entire story and your not looking to play anything but an rpg. Expand
  74. Mar 20, 2012
    The only thing I am going to say is the people hating on this game need to get over themselves. It was a joy to play the whole way through and I am going to go through the 1st and 2nd game again to see how much different my story will ultimately be. I have watched my room mate play, I have watched my friends play and their story is not the same as mine. The decisions you made in the firstThe only thing I am going to say is the people hating on this game need to get over themselves. It was a joy to play the whole way through and I am going to go through the 1st and 2nd game again to see how much different my story will ultimately be. I have watched my room mate play, I have watched my friends play and their story is not the same as mine. The decisions you made in the first two games do have an impact on the final playthrough. Like I said, the only negative about this game is all of these trollers hating on it because it ends...even though they have been foreshadowing this for 5 years. Great game, play it all the way through and just know that the ones hating have gotten laid more times in these three titles then they have in their entire lives. I would be pissed about that too. Expand
  75. Mar 20, 2012
    People take the ending of this game far too seriously and don't judge it based on its own merits- They expect a flash-bang ending, boom, shoot the bad guys and go home just like the first two. They don't want to think. They don't want to get philosophy in their explosions. They take this stuff far, far too seriously.
  76. Mar 21, 2012
    Great game, but slightly disappointing compared with ME2. The thing I loved about ME2 was the believable world the game took place in, the character development and the feeling that there were real consequences to your actions. ME3 has far less depth, with side quests simply being fetch quests initiated by overhearing NPC incidental conversations. I was also annoyed by how easy it was toGreat game, but slightly disappointing compared with ME2. The thing I loved about ME2 was the believable world the game took place in, the character development and the feeling that there were real consequences to your actions. ME3 has far less depth, with side quests simply being fetch quests initiated by overhearing NPC incidental conversations. I was also annoyed by how easy it was to skip passed prominent characters from ME2 without ever meeting them. (Got an email from Thane, but by the time I returned to Citadel it had already been invaded and I can only assume he died, because he never was in that hospital) The addition of multiplayer makes up for a lot of these sins, which although it is just horde mode with no pvp, I'm finding it highly addictive. I don't agree with calls to change the ending, it is what it is, but can't shake the slight feeling of disappointment it failed to live up to the promise of ME2. Still great game that I would recommend to anyone. Expand
  77. Apr 4, 2012
    while not as good as mass effect 2 this game is still a imminse acheivment for bioware great setpeices good combat and a amazing story continued. The reapers are amazing enemies in this game and used well. brilliant characters and a fiiting conclusion. Ending not wat it should be but with so much good u willl have a great time anyway
  78. Apr 6, 2012
    With all the negative hype surrounding the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy, it seems as though most players have overlooked the fact that ME3 still featured the finest gameplay of the series, as well as some of the most absorbing story lines. BioWare (now publicly maligned, but still undisputed kings of the RPG) finally got the weapon/armor customisation and resource finding to the pointWith all the negative hype surrounding the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy, it seems as though most players have overlooked the fact that ME3 still featured the finest gameplay of the series, as well as some of the most absorbing story lines. BioWare (now publicly maligned, but still undisputed kings of the RPG) finally got the weapon/armor customisation and resource finding to the point of being fun, the combat was more streamlined and gorgeous than ever (biotic detonations will always make me squeal with delight), and pretty much every mission I was emotionally rocked. Mass Effect stands as one of the best series of games I have played, and this was the best of the three. Admittedly, I did initially take the stance - like everyone else - of denouncing the game after experiencing the ending . Upon first impressions it came off as rushed, flawed and meaningless, leading me to become one of the fans that fell under the spell of the infamous "indoctrination theory" that floated around. It is a hopeful alternative to the Occam's razor that BioWare didn't put enough effort into the ending as they should have. It was definitely a disappointment video-game wise, but was also rich with existential arguments which had me pondering/arguing with friends for days after. In the end I'm not hating it as much as I thought I would. Regardless, it doesn't ruin the rest of the series - as everyone seems to be saying - or even the rest of the game, which remains one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences of recent memory.

And the multiplayer isn't too shabby either!
  79. Apr 8, 2012
    This is a very good ending to a great trilogy. It is incredible how many details from previous games are mentioned in the game and the game combines a good balance of shooter and RPG
  80. Apr 13, 2012
    Despite the general uproar, Mass Effect 3 has proven to be a fantastic end to a beloved series. The upset over the ending is justified, albeit largely uncalled for. The central conflict present in each of the previous games largely revolves around the animosity between synthetics and organics. While many have ignored this particular aspect of the series, the ending wholly resolves it, in aDespite the general uproar, Mass Effect 3 has proven to be a fantastic end to a beloved series. The upset over the ending is justified, albeit largely uncalled for. The central conflict present in each of the previous games largely revolves around the animosity between synthetics and organics. While many have ignored this particular aspect of the series, the ending wholly resolves it, in a largely satisfying way. Despite this, the widely held belief that the ending is too linear is a valid one. However, Bioware is already working on new content that would hopefully present players with more options, and thus, more satisfaction. As for the rest of the game, Mass Effect 3 is a total and complete triumph. The gameplay is impecable, the presentation is spotless, and the mix of RPG elements from Mass Effect 1 and the explosive action of Mass Effect 2 results in an incredibly immersive experience. Ignore the many dissenters, frustrated by the fact that the game doesn't spell everything out for you. Leaving loose ends allows for players to create their own possibilities, a fundamental concept and a throwback to traditional role playing games. Bioware - keep doing what you do best. 10/10. Expand
  81. May 15, 2012
    I am a fan of Mass Effect since 2007,and i have to say,Mass Effect 3 is not only my favorite of the trilogy,its probably my favorite game of this generation.Great graphics,amazing sound effects and soundtrack,the gameplay is fun and exciting,espetacular story and characters.Don't listen to those haters,Mass Effect 3 is an unforggetable,near perfect experience.One of the very few games thatI am a fan of Mass Effect since 2007,and i have to say,Mass Effect 3 is not only my favorite of the trilogy,its probably my favorite game of this generation.Great graphics,amazing sound effects and soundtrack,the gameplay is fun and exciting,espetacular story and characters.Don't listen to those haters,Mass Effect 3 is an unforggetable,near perfect experience.One of the very few games that i actually cried (that only happen with me on 2 other games,Zelda Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid 4).The multiplayer(which i was against it) is amazingly fun.But the best thing about ME3 is easily its story and characters,and both are one of the best i ever seen in gaming.Its an must buy game and trilogy. Expand
  82. Mar 29, 2012
    A tragic ending for an excellent game, what a pain, just like it slam out everything you have made so hard going this far. Nevertheless, if we look at the positive sides, there are many things can be approved for this game: intense combat, focus gameplay, the epic galaxy's apocalypse. Beyond the single player, the multiplayer is a lot of fun and require many tactics to survive. OverallA tragic ending for an excellent game, what a pain, just like it slam out everything you have made so hard going this far. Nevertheless, if we look at the positive sides, there are many things can be approved for this game: intense combat, focus gameplay, the epic galaxy's apocalypse. Beyond the single player, the multiplayer is a lot of fun and require many tactics to survive. Overall this is the game which we will not get bored so fast, do not let your hatred throw away a marvelous game that you can hardly find.â Expand
  83. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is awesome. Its the best game I've played in memory. Its up there with Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Five, Deus Ex Human Revolution and most games in recent memory. Pros- Great story including ending, good writing, great dialogue, good action sequences, cutscenes, gameplay, great difficulty settings. The music and sound is awesome. Some of the visuals are so stunning I wish I could have paused the game to take it in for a bit.

Cons- A few glitches, (had to restart xbox 360 about 4 times during the whole experience.), some quests are not clear, combat is a bit messy with the cover system, most guns feel underpowered. Banshees feel a bit cheap.

I give the game a 9 because of a few glitches. But I must say, after playing the game, I'm satisfied, the ending works for me and I feel like the gams is te best game i've ever played. Period. Almost cried when I had to kill Legion. Loved the last speech given to troops and saying goodbye to comrades. It reminded me of a AAA blockbuster summer sci-fi flick.

This is a definite buy for any sci-fi fan. I enjoyed this more than the last 3 star wars movies or sci-fi flicks in recent memory. The only thing to hit me like this is The Matrix.
  84. Mar 19, 2012
    This game was great, don't listen to the people who will whine and moan because of a flaw the game had which makes it an "automatic zero". The ending could have been a lot better, but it doesn't kill the game. I loved the smaller stories much more this time around however. In ME2, Miranda's sister didn't have any affect on me, and blowing up the old Cerebus facility for Jack just madeThis game was great, don't listen to the people who will whine and moan because of a flaw the game had which makes it an "automatic zero". The ending could have been a lot better, but it doesn't kill the game. I loved the smaller stories much more this time around however. In ME2, Miranda's sister didn't have any affect on me, and blowing up the old Cerebus facility for Jack just made her look like an idiot. This time around, I was cheering when someone was being a bad ass and ripping through the enemies and nearly cried when someone died for a cause. People look at the broad subject too much, I like games where you can get a different experience by just playing the side missions. Expand
  85. Mar 26, 2012
    Graphics:
    This game has grown graphically as much as the series did from the first game to the second. In HD, this gameâ
  86. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Mass Effect series is really the only thing that has kept me playing video games for the past three or four years. I'm a massive fan and have come to care deeply about the universe, the characters, and the story I have shaped through Shepard. For these reasons, it was a crushing disappointment for the game to end the way it did. Unlike many people, I don't begrudge Bioware the limited NUMBER of endings. I felt that it was a game FULL of endings. Regardless, though, the endings are just painful to witness for fans of the series. In a mere five minute stretch, the end manages to fly in the face of countless bits of established lore. More agonizing is the fact that the endings fail to answer virtually all the important questions we may have had and, worse, actually prompt us to ask countless new ones. These are not profound questions about life and the universe, nor questions that force us to thoughtfully interpret and reflect (a la The Road). No, they are questions like "Where the **** was Joker going? How did he pick up my squadmates? Why aren't they charred to a crisp like everyone else? Where did Anderson come from? Why would my effective military strength change my choices on the Crucible? How did Shepard survive atmospheric re-entry in the "best" ending? Did he make it to the Crucible at all? WHO THE **** IS THAT STAR-KID? WHERE DID HE COME FROM? WHY IS HE BEING INTRODUCED IN THE LAST 3 MINUTES OF THE ENTIRE SERIES?" Those kinds of questions are not indicative of a deep, thought-provoking ending. They're indicative of bad storytelling. After the standard Bioware set over the first two games, how they could crash and burn so badly at the most vital moment is just perplexing.

What makes it even more perplexing is that the game is MASTERFULLY constructed up to the last few minutes. I enjoyed the game immensely through my entire 30+ hours. From Thessia on, I was so enthralled that I played 8 hours straight to the end. The combat flows immensely better even than in ME2 (the new style of gun sounds is AWESOME), the Ashley romance was well-done (wasn't a big fan of Liara's, so I restarted), and the choices you make carry the weight of your entire time in the Mass Effect Universe. The graphics are good, not amazing, though they are however markedly improved in characters' faces, facial expressions, and body language. Though there are few new interesting characters, I think this is appropriate to the final chapter of a saga. Vega is a pretty standard soldier type, but we get a very interesting EDI-Joker progression, and satisfying (if very sad) conclusions to a number of other characters' sub-plots. Unfortunately, this last point in ME3's favor is more or less negated by the ending --- the fate of everyone and everything seems once again up in the air.

I waited three weeks to write this review so that I could make an objective observation: Despite the incredibly disappointing ending, the game was excellent. It really, really was. As angry, confused, and physically ill as I felt after finishing Mass Effect 3, it is still a testament to the quality of the game and the franchise that it was able to make me feel ANYTHING as strongly as I did. While I understand this intellectually, however, the game has lost a lot of its emotional value to me going forward. I don't see the point in picking up Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 again until Bioware addresses the problems with the ending (whenever that eventually happens). Until then, I will set Mass Effect aside. I can only hope that Bioware can use its second chance to give this saga an ending worthy of the journey we all took to get there.
  87. Jun 28, 2012
    Do not believe the negative trolls that have taken over this review site. This is one of the best sci-fi games ever produced and comes to an excellent conclusion. The new extended cut makes it that much better. If you pass this game up because of the negative idiots, you have no one to blame but yourself. Try the game and come to your own conclusion...
  88. Aug 27, 2012
    Mass effect has always been a series that has been a benchmark for sic-fi role playing games since it was released and with the latest instalment i can't see that changing any time soon. People slate it because they didn't get the ending they wanted or that Bioware changed the game in a way that reaches out to a richer audience, those aren't reasons to give a game a low mark in my opinion.Mass effect has always been a series that has been a benchmark for sic-fi role playing games since it was released and with the latest instalment i can't see that changing any time soon. People slate it because they didn't get the ending they wanted or that Bioware changed the game in a way that reaches out to a richer audience, those aren't reasons to give a game a low mark in my opinion. I believe Bioware did everything perfectly except for a few minor problems. The first of which is that the game world restricts you a lot, you can't really venture anywhere whilst on a mission, this problem has been in the franchise all along and all i wished for was for that to change for this instalment. Its more of a insignificant annoyance than a problem to be honest. Another qualm i have is that the romance is still as stiff and awkward as ever, i found in mass effect that if i ran to the person i found most attractive after every mission to merely talk to them for two minutes they would eventually and consensual sex with me, this was both amusing and irritating to me and simply wasted my time. My final problem i see in the game is that the dialogue is a little bit... well... crap. In mass effect 1 and 2 the dialogue was both engrossing and interesting as what people said actually made a difference most of the time. This time round though you'll find yourself talking to people for no visible reason other than to yet again fill them game with time consuming conversation about matters that I'm sure the supposed saviour of the galaxy really shouldn't give damn about. I also need to mention the ending of the game which really does seem to be irritating people doesn't it! But seriously i see no problem with it, it wraps the game up nicely and gives the player a real emotional reaction, if this wasn't the case for you then lets just agree to disagree to you. Now as for the good points, i could sit here all day and tell you how the game is vastly improved on its predecessor, first of the combat both melee and ranged is vastly improved, i really enjoyed trying out different weapons i either bought or unlocked throughout the game and the ways they could be used, it was a fulfilling way to spend my space money. This is the same for armour unlocks and etc. The only problem with the armour is that some times they looked far too similar and that you could only buy full suits of a certain type if lets say you only wanted the helmet. Other than that making yourself look badass was pretty fun and indulging. Another point is also that the story is both brilliant and emotional, at some points it really hits home whats actually happening and at others it keeps you engrossed to the point where you'll not want t stop playing as you want to find out what happens next. My final point is going to be that the characters are just as interesting and boring as ever, some like garrus will keep you laughing and others will make you wish the conversation would hurry up but the most important thing is that Bioware have done a brilliant job in rounding off the relationships you have built with your crew members and how you come to terms with them before you set out on your final mission. Overall then this game is brilliant with just a few problems which i have outlined, these shouldn't keep you from playing it and enjoying the ride just as much as i did. Expand
  89. Mar 20, 2012
    If you are at all invested in the Mass Effect universe, this game will make you cry. The emotional payoff in this game is absolutely huge and Bioware's accomplishment in this area is absolutely unprecedented. Even if it is mostly smoke and mirrors, you really feel at the end that this was YOUR journey and it's hard to imagine it playing it out any other way. I think it speaks to theIf you are at all invested in the Mass Effect universe, this game will make you cry. The emotional payoff in this game is absolutely huge and Bioware's accomplishment in this area is absolutely unprecedented. Even if it is mostly smoke and mirrors, you really feel at the end that this was YOUR journey and it's hard to imagine it playing it out any other way. I think it speaks to the strength of the series that I do not WANT to play through the series a second time making different choices because I feel like it would spoil what I've decided is canon. That said, Bioware botched one major aspect of the game - the UI. This seems minor, but some of the problems make playing the game feel like a chore. They wanted to add more rpg elements, but they did so in such a sloppy way that it makes you really wish they hadn't. Menus are clunky and not user-friendly at all. The game does not even have proper quest tracking which will mean a lot of aimless walking around not knowing where to go or who to talk to. WHY, Bioware? The first two games had great quest tracking. The minor sidequests are also so awkwardly handled that they should have been left out because they really detract from the experience. Also, expect dozens and dozens of instant game over screens trying to outrun ridiculously fast reaper ships on the galaxy map. Yeah, Bioware, REALLY fun. These faults really stand out in what is otherwise a masterpiece and that makes them all the more frustrating because they are things that have worked in previous games. *sigh* Expand
  90. Jan 16, 2013
    Continuing from the events of the previous game Mass Effect 3 opens with the Reapers attacking Earth and, having narrowly escaped with his life, Commander Shepard yet again finds himself as humanity's last hope for survival. Series veterans will be instantly familiar with the games concept in which a series of core and side missions can be accessed from the Normandy's galaxy map. This timeContinuing from the events of the previous game Mass Effect 3 opens with the Reapers attacking Earth and, having narrowly escaped with his life, Commander Shepard yet again finds himself as humanity's last hope for survival. Series veterans will be instantly familiar with the games concept in which a series of core and side missions can be accessed from the Normandy's galaxy map. This time around however it is not just a case of recruiting allies to your cause. Depending on how each mission is handled vital resources, such as fleets of warships, can be gained to aid in the final battle against the Reapers. As has always been the case many of these missions allows for a great deal of freedom with a number of, sometimes very difficult, choices being afforded to the player. The series strong combat remains virtually unchanged from the series second entry and still plays like a simplified version of Gears of War. Responding to audience criticisms a number of features have been tweaked however. While the popular Mako may not make a return the weapon and armour customisation has returned and the dull planet scanning all but removed. For the first time in the Mass Effect series multiplayer has also been included. To be honest it offers only a minor diversion from the main campaign with only one mode (imagine Horde mode from Gears of War or Halo) and six small maps to play in co-op with up to three other players. Since the playing multiplayer aids in preparing for the Reaper assault in the main game however it is worth investing some time in.

And so to the much criticised ending to the game. In my personal opinion some of this criticism is justified as it certainly leaves several plot holes and very much jars with the philosophy of Mass Effect. A few fans have certainly gone overboard however as when you consider the huge influence you are able to wield throughout the game the disappointing final ten minutes in no way spoils the 20+ hours that come before or the epic series as a whole.
  91. Apr 18, 2012
    I'll keep it short and sweet on this one promise. I loved Me1, Me2 and Me3. It is quite possibly my favourite set of games ever made, however this being said I will concede that Mass Effect 3 had some flaws. Yes it wasn't perfect and if I'm really honest I was not blown away by the ending. To continue in this honest fashion I was expecting the worse based on internet commentary and had II'll keep it short and sweet on this one promise. I loved Me1, Me2 and Me3. It is quite possibly my favourite set of games ever made, however this being said I will concede that Mass Effect 3 had some flaws. Yes it wasn't perfect and if I'm really honest I was not blown away by the ending. To continue in this honest fashion I was expecting the worse based on internet commentary and had I ignored it I probably would have been a lot happier, but on with the review! Mass Effect 3 has a great story and incredible lore to back it up. The action in number 3 is better than either 1 or 2 and you really get the sense that the galaxy is falling apart around you. The visuals are stunning and go a long way to immersing you in the game, yes sometimes things pop in and out but when your looking up at a huge freaking planet on fire, as you gun down loads of husks standing between you and ultimate victory everything seems perfect! I couldn't live with myself if I gave it a perfect score as that would be silly, I expect flawless for that. This said users who score it a zero seriously needs to grow up a bit and be fair to the game as a whole, no game deserves that and least of all Mass Effect. Expand
  92. Apr 19, 2012
    Despite a few flaws, such as the codex not updating and and some graphical glitches, Mass Effect 3 is an awesome game. Very intense and highly emotional. I have even been playing the multiplayer a lot more than I thought. As for the ending, the the only thing that really bothered me about it was some continuity issues and such that made it feel lazily put together. That is a littleDespite a few flaws, such as the codex not updating and and some graphical glitches, Mass Effect 3 is an awesome game. Very intense and highly emotional. I have even been playing the multiplayer a lot more than I thought. As for the ending, the the only thing that really bothered me about it was some continuity issues and such that made it feel lazily put together. That is a little disappointing because the rest of the games writing is so on point and some of the best you will see in the genre. They are working on fixing it though. But overall a great experience and amazing conclusion to the trilogy. Highly recommended. Expand
  93. May 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a GREAT game with just a few problems.
    Mass Effect 3 is a GREAT game with just a few problems.
    THE GOOD: The fighting and action in this game are to me definitely the best in the series. The enemies are harder, smarter and especially near the end of the game overwhelming (in a good way.) I feel the RPG elements are done pretty well with the decisions of the past games actually effect what you can/ can't do in this game. Graphics are great and the sound is very well done.

THE BAD: There were some polish issues in this game: a broken turret (wouldn't die) made me replay a level, there was a galaxy that blinked even though there was nothing to do, and other similar issues. I felt that some of the characters were just kind of thrown in just because they were in the previous games with no real story or purpose. The ending.. while not as bad as people make it to be, could've been much better. My biggest problem with the ending is that for a game with so much choice and different paths/ results the endings were all the same, literally they just changed the color of the explosion. And you are left hanging as to the aftermath for the Normandy, other galaxies, etc.

That said this game is MUCH BETTER than people give it credit, people are way too harsh. I really enjoyed it and thought it was close to perfect. The ending wasn't terrible and hopefully the DLC flushes out the aftermath.
  94. Mar 20, 2012
    With a powerful plot, advanced combat, and smarter enemies, this game really presents itself as it should be- a fantastic ending to a chilling, unrivalled series. The character development, which quite possibly the most important quality the series held for me, is even deeper than the previous games. The soundtrack is a beautiful condiment to the the countless heartstopping momentsWith a powerful plot, advanced combat, and smarter enemies, this game really presents itself as it should be- a fantastic ending to a chilling, unrivalled series. The character development, which quite possibly the most important quality the series held for me, is even deeper than the previous games. The soundtrack is a beautiful condiment to the the countless heartstopping moments encountered throughout the game. The journey was, throughout the trilogy of Mass Effect, truly memorable- watching the effects of your decisions, building friendships, sacrificing for 'the greater good', and living with your mistakes. I have come to admire BioWare's ability to make a gamer love a character, only to lose them. There are, however, imperfections with Mass Effect 3, much like any other game. Many of these problems had little affect on me. The most important problem I had in the game was with the ending. What I, as well as many other ME vets, was expecting was a beautiful ending that would have me thinking for hours, about my decisions, and what I could have done to change the end. Nothing of the sort occurred. It wasn't a great ending. It wasn't terrible, but after that ending, one should not be thinking 'Whatever, now what?' It was inconclusive, felt rushed, and lacked consistency with previous games and media concerning the series, as well as with what BioWare said themselves. The endings were all very alike, which I found disappointing. However, it took away nothing from the game for me.

I strongly recommend buying this game, even if you are scared of disappointment from the ending. I will continue to play BioWare games and believe they will learn from this mistake.
  95. Mar 26, 2012
    An amazing game, absolutely loved the gameplay. The ending certainly left a lot to be answered, but it didn't ruin the rest of the experience for me. Maybe I should hold off on judgment until after the coming changes are made, when I would likely be able to give this thing a 10/10, because that's what the rest of the game deserves. It seems crazy to me that this thing is getting such aAn amazing game, absolutely loved the gameplay. The ending certainly left a lot to be answered, but it didn't ruin the rest of the experience for me. Maybe I should hold off on judgment until after the coming changes are made, when I would likely be able to give this thing a 10/10, because that's what the rest of the game deserves. It seems crazy to me that this thing is getting such a wide range of ratings, considering the ending was really only the weak link here. And even with that I can't see anyone in their right mind giving this thing any worse than a 6/10. I think some of the angrier fans should have let themselves cool off a bit before rushing to bash this thing in their review. Expand
  96. Mar 27, 2012
    Look this is a amazing game, the ending does suck, I will admit, i was disappointed. I am a long time ME fan ,i beat the first two around six times, and plan to do the same with this one, but the ending really does put a damper on the game. On the other side though bioware is working on a 2nd ending and it will be out rather soon.Also, if you didn't suck at the game you can survive, butLook this is a amazing game, the ending does suck, I will admit, i was disappointed. I am a long time ME fan ,i beat the first two around six times, and plan to do the same with this one, but the ending really does put a damper on the game. On the other side though bioware is working on a 2nd ending and it will be out rather soon.Also, if you didn't suck at the game you can survive, but you dumb asses decided not to keep working on it. Buy this game and I promise you won't be disappointed, secondly to those who bought it, support bioware, don't tear them down, they'll fix they're mistakes. Expand
  97. Apr 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is for the most part a brilliant game and manages to balance RPG elements and Shooter mechanics even better than its predecessors. The story is for 99% of the game fantastic and concludes many of the story lines from the first 2 games. The most talked about flaw with the game is it's poor ending. the one everyone is going on about and rating the game so poorly because of. YesMass Effect 3 is for the most part a brilliant game and manages to balance RPG elements and Shooter mechanics even better than its predecessors. The story is for 99% of the game fantastic and concludes many of the story lines from the first 2 games. The most talked about flaw with the game is it's poor ending. the one everyone is going on about and rating the game so poorly because of. Yes the ending is not Bioware's finest moment of story telling and it might spoil the experience slightly for many people, but it should not completely put you off playing what is such a good game for the previous 30 hours of gameplay. The other major flaw with the game is that many of the characters from ME2 are strangely absent, and it would have been nice for them to feature more. Especially for PS3 owners who have less attachment to the ME1 characters than X-Box owners. Although the game lets it self down at the very end its still a game everyone should play - however its best played after completing the other 2 games as you will be far more attached to the story if you've already spent hours with Shepherd and his/her crew. Expand
  98. Apr 25, 2012
    This is the best looking of all the Mass Effects, they finally used some decent anti-aliasing on the edges.

It's a perfect game except for midway through when you have to switch discs back and forth about 8 times. A few boss battle's difficulty are 10x higher than the rest of the game (or even the level they're on). And using the A button for everything is infuriating, especially on multiplayer when you NEED to revive a team mate, but instead you send your character into cover and everyone dies.

The Day 1 DLC doesn't even matter, because the rest of the game is just packed with missions and story and cut-scenes. To finish all of those takes around 35 hours.
  99. May 11, 2012
    if you take out the ending, like the last 15mins, then this game would be an absolute 10/10. there are just way to many plotholes at the end of the game. Its like if the writers smoked weed while writing the ending. However, just because an ending SUCKS doesn't mean it deserves a 1/10

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.