5.6

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Horrible textures, horrible lighting, horrible controls, horrible story, Day 1 DLC, $70 price tag for PC game, Horrible Origin. This game screams console port for the PC.
  2. Mar 11, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that I am a big fan of the Mass Effect series. I was fairly pleased with the majority of the storyline and dialogue in this game. The tone of this game is a lot more grim than the previous two games but I feel that is appropriate given the circumstances. Sometimes the voice acting can get a bit cheesy and some of the situations seem like they were ripped from a bad action movie. The game play has had some tweaks and combat feels a bit more tuned. There are still bugs galore though and the AI still seems terrible despite claims of upgrades to it. Most bugs aren't extremely noticeable; heck sometimes they are downright funny but then you get the really frustrating bugs such as getting stuck and having to restart. Those bugs are one reason why this game lost a point. Another reason is how it seems that the events of the previous two games don't seem to have made as big a difference as I thought they would. Pretty much all of the key character's from the previous games make an appearance. Some are a big more significant than others but its certainly nice to see. The biggest problem I had with it was the ending. Its as though they were driving along on the nice little path of a storyline and then decide to just blindfold the driver at the end and hope for the best. The endings all make very little sense and just create more loose ends than they tie up. Hopefully we see more content in the future that makes things a bit more clear but until then I feel very disappointed with how the game ends. A little obscurity isn't necessarily a bad thing since it is nice to have the fans piece together certain aspects. But when the fans are left feeling cheated then its clear that something isn't quite right.
    So in closing, its not a terrible game by any means but it certainly isn't the game that the Mass Effect series deserves. For all the lore and background of the series very little of it is truly represented and the game feels more like an action game than a sci-fi roleplaying game.
  3. Mar 28, 2012
    Although not perfect, it is far from the 1-4's that people are giving it. This game is a fantastic end to the trilogy in almost every aspect. Sure the story doesn't seem as in depth as the other two games, the decisions don't feel as though they mean as much but this is the last ride for Shepard. The decisions you make in this game must effect the game instantly as you are building up the forces to defeat the Reapers, not be sure to effect your character 3 games from now. Overall the music, pacing, graphics (little buggy) and game play are great. Add in the ability to mod your weapons again and this game has some great value to it. It may not be the end all to video games, but it is far from the lowest of the low scores some have given it. If you love the series and have are not childish in your demands for the perfect game you'll love this game. I am a huge fan of the series and am happy to have invested all of the hours past into the trilogy. It's hard to look at this game and complain when the blockbuster mentality is there in spades in every battle leading up to the ultimate decision at the end, bravo BioWare. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Strike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leaked script and videos. "Yo dawg we made synthetics to kill organics, so organics wouldn't create synthetics to kill organics!" It's painfully obvious that the writing talent that made the first game so compelling is no longer involved. Maybe Bioware should think about hiring writers who, ya know, actually enjoy playing the games too. EA/Bioware, you have broken my heart for the last time. Multiplayer and Day 1 DLC I could *just* about have lived with, but the lack of choices carried over, and the contrived, lazy endings are a step too far. I will not be giving my hard earned money to you ever again. Fortunately I played a friend's copy of ME3 on PC (it's still the same game as X360 and PS3 - arguably the "best" version.. lol) and can get my online version refunded (thanks Origin 14 day return policy!). Oh yeah, don't even bother pirating. Expand
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    this game is absolute garbage. The writing is plain horrible. The dialogue sounds like it was written by robots or interns. The animations closely resemble Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney (before the 2003 renovation). Overall this game left a bad taste in my mouth, I want my money back EA and BIoware!
  6. Mar 7, 2012
    Game overall is good as expected, BUT... and that is a big "but"... considering that Bioware/EA screwed not only the trilogy but the ME fanbase as a whole by giving us exactly one ending with very little variation (and in every ending, not only is Shepard and his crew screwed, but also the whole galaxy for centuries to come) despite claiming otherwise for MONTHS and the fact that Shepard, despite all the sh*t he has been through finally mentally breaks, due to seing some random arse boy he met for like 5 seconds getting killed off by the Reapers (imagine you playing a w*nkster renegade Shepard who kills people for fun, breaking after such crap :D), I simply cannot endorse this game. Thanks Bioware for screwing your fans BIG TIME.
    btw, to those who think giving a bad rating is just because of the DLC 1 thingy... just wait for the ending. You'll get royally screwed as well. Don't worry. The sh*storm regarding that matter already hit BSN a couple of days ago.
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    I wouldn't have imagined that they would have went off the deep end when finishing the story. An insult to the players who played the first game. Bioweare needs to understand that it should have had it's intended story completely written before starting to work on this series. The endings make no sense, and they will only continue your adventure if you pony up for dlc, which probably won't be worth it if it is anything like the campaign. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2012
    This game would have been a solid 10/10 for me if it were not for those horrid endings. They managed to keep me entertained and invested in the story until the last five minutes. Getting stuck with 3 terrible endings with the same consequences is a terrible way to end one of my favorite game series. Never buying another Bioware product unless this is rectified.
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    First I have to say in fairness their were emotional highs and lows over the course of this game that have never been matched by a video game in my life I laughed at myself even as I cried when characters I had grown attached to died. But all that goes to crap when you get to the end. The ending makes every single action and choice you have made in the previous 3 games irrelevant. No matter what everything ends the same and no matter what you do that ending is bad. Full of plot holes and bad. All those promises about choice mattering and a variety of endings are LIES if you don't believe me find the same 3 endings on youtube. All the same all bad. I can't even look at any of the 3 games without feeling sick. The replayability of the entire series ends when this game ends because you know no matter what you do THIS is how it ends and that sucks all the will to play right out of you. Don't ruin your previous 2 games by playing this piece of garbage. There are also a couple of buggy missions where enemies don't spawn and you have to restart and NOT kill the enemies, and Shepard does not run he/she floats with no footfall sound the lip syncing is immersion breaking its so bad. My advice to new fans get a different game. My advice to old fans. RUN AWAY! And don't look back Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    My favorite part of the trilogy. Had high hopes and it delivered in almost every aspect. It's amazing to see all the various stories, conflicts and character arcs started in ME1 5 years ago get proper resolutions
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    People are rating this game bad based on things to do with, Homosexuality,day 1 DLC, and other stupid reasons. First of all, the day 1 DLC is not mandatory, it's just a DLC that feeds you more of a side story then anything else, and they made this AFTER they finished creating the game. What difference does it make if they release it on day 1 or waiting a month to release it? The DLC has nothing to do with the main quest, it isn't vital. The people giving this game a 0 shouldn't review games, because I'm sure this game is better than a 0 or even mediocre. Most people giving this game a 0 haven't even played the game or they say the story sucks but they also say that they only played a few hours of the game. First of all complete the game before reviewing it. That is like rating a movie based on it's trailer. I'm not reviewing this game, because I haven't played it yet. But I was compelled to write to all those people who cry about dumb crap. They also say that there is hardely any gameplay it's all cutscenes.... Ok so why rate it 0? If that was the case then Metal Gear Solid 4 should of got a 0 too. I doubt that Mass Effect 3 had lenghty cutscenes like Metal Gear Soild 4. The Elder Scroll games get praised all the time (except for PS3 version) and everytime you walk through a door or o to a next area, it has to load. I don't see anyone complaining about that. But people complain about cutscenes. I'd rather watch a cutscene then watch a loading screen. Anyway you people destroy gaming, and are not happy with anything. maybe that is the reason games are becomming less fun, because the creators don't know what the "fans" want anymore. How come people go all crazy about any Call of Duty game and it's all recycled crap and they are all the same game, but they don't complain about that, they sell the same game every year, and people don't complain, but they will complain about Day 1 DLC for 10 bucks.. Bioware atleast tries to make a decent game. Same with Guitar Hero, people use to buy every Guitar Hero when infact it's all the same game. Just like Call of Duty. Yet these games get praised. Hmmmm..... Give the game a serious review, because a 0 isn't fair. Go play Call of Duty. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    Let me start off by saying, I adore the Mass Effect universe, and loved both the first and second games. Mass Effect three, on the other hand, feels like a watered down version of the previous titles. The areas are smaller, exploration is all but gone, and combat is easier than ever. I blazed through the game in no time, and felt cheated at some of the 'emotional' payoffs the story team tried to unload on me. Compared to other games available on the Xbox 360, its still a very decent game, but compared to the other Mass Effect games, this is inexcusable, and I'll never get the resolution that this series rightfully deserved. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is perfect in every way. Granted, I'm mostly writing this review to counter all the droves of idiots that haven't even played the game yet.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    This website needs a real review....

I'm giving this game a 9. After playing it through once, I have to say that in terms of gameplay and experiences, it is easily the best in the series. Unfortunately the game does have a rather ridiculous and depressing ending. Your choices throughout the game do little to affect the outcome. But the rest of the game is absolutely amazing. Quality
    writing, wonderful characters, beautiful environments and a greatly revamped inventory system make it the best in the series, save for the finale. I would give everything until the ending a 10. The end itself I give a 2. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    All the work I put into ME1 and ME2 feel like a waste. Looks like bioware decided to make any choices from the previous 2 games pointless so they could bring in the shooter crowd as evidenced by the new character added in the last of a trilogy so that anyone can pick this up a play. Why did I even bother with the first two then?
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    Why do I need to pay money for something that should already be in the game? It's absolutely preposterous. This isn't the only thing I dislike about this game. When you make a series you are supposed to build on each game you create, they have not done so with this game.

Please, for the love of God do not buy this product.
  17. Mar 7, 2012
    The day-one DLC makes this a 0/10 title. Under NO circumstances should it be okay for developers to release day-one DLC unless itâ
  18. Mar 7, 2012
    as a competitive call of duty player this is my favorite scifi game on the pc

i like how there are aliens and you can have magical abilities, i also enjoyed having sex with every crew member and i liked the vega character the most because i can identify with him. he is very tough and looks very good. i want to be like him one day. hoo-rah.
    11/10 i also liked the story very much, its about
    reavers that are like space zombies and an illusion man that is your father or something. and there is a really cool assassin called mai king, she tries to kill you because she works for the reavers.

its a very deep game, i hope they make a sequel one day because i want to know what happened to vega. or a prequel that is more about vega. they also make an animated movie that is about vega, which is awesome, ill totally watch it with my dad.
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    As someone who really enjoyed the other games in the series, this is a huge let down. From the dumbed down story, terrible animation and graphic issues, and the gaping plot holes this game is just BAD. Truly disappointing. What a joke.
  20. Mar 7, 2012
    Painful. I loved the Mass Effect saga, but this installment utterly ruins it. It's an insult to gamers worldwide. Bioware approaches the story telling as if they are attempting to make a brain damaged turtle comprehend. Consequently, it is HIGHLY flawed, simplistic and lacking. An awful result. Addtionally, they have taken a break from anything that made the previous installments interesting and unique(choice-based storytelling; intriguing plot turns; emotional commitment) and replaced it with blatantly ostentatious cinematics that would only impress the aforementioned ''turtle-minded''. It's not just a shame, it's an insult. Bioware has gravely insulted and disappointed me by ruining what used to be such a great story. Don't go look for it and don't buy it. The only thing this game has to offer is a lesson in how blatant greed can ruin absolutely anything. Expand
  21. Mar 9, 2012
    What happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to truly write at all. Plot holes opening up all around you and with the endings ripped off from Deus Ex makes me wonder what exactly Bioware/EA were thinking when the final script was approved. The endings completely go against the spirit of the series and more than that they are all essentially the same my making every other choice up to that point completely null. I find it even more offensive that almost all of the RPG elements have become so watered down as to be unrecognisable. The conversation wheel which longtime fans of the series such as myself have come to know and love rarely shows up now. And even when it does all it offers is two ways to say the same thing. Even worse, your choices in the previous two make no really substantial difference in this entry either. Even the illusion of choice is gone. You almost don't get to converse with your crew at all. Instead your interaction is mostly limited to selecting them like you do with Zaeed Massani in ME2 and they talk a little bit while you just stand there. This becomes a big problem because ME3 throws in with no real introduction or background characters who are completely new or have only been featured in the Expanded Universe. I like the voice acting and appreciate that the world feels more alive now with background characters talking to one another when you walk by, that is when the sound doesn't drop out. It's unfortunate that the coders haven't learned anything, all the cut scene glitches are back in full force. Including the one where everyone uses the same assault rifle during the cut scene, regardless of whether or not they can even use one. It's nice to see all characters from the first two one last time, a little family reunion if you will. It's a shame that almost none of them will be joining your squad again. I do like the direction ground combat has taken though the removal of heavy weapons is another negative in my book. The day one DLC feels more like game content that was cut out rather than an actual add on. And having this nearly story essential DLC on day one is just plain greedy.

Mostly though I just can't get around the endings. It feels like a punch in the gut to those of us who were big fans of the first two. It's so out of left field that I almost expect M. Night Shyamalan to be responsible for this travesty. It's almost like ending The Lord of the Rings with Frodo riding a nuke into Barad-dûr with a cowboy hat on. I almost wish it would have been a Dallas-"It was all a dream" ending.
  22. X11
    Mar 20, 2012
    Unbelievable gameplay just as in the first two installments. Felt like I was reading a book, watching a movie, and playing a game simultaneously. Always good. My opinion of this game has hit all sides of the spectrum, but in the end the truth is realized. This is a truly spectacular game/story/epic. While the ending may be questionable, one cannot discount the spectacularity this title contains.
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    #1 No controller allowed for PC
    #2 The grfx suck balls for a game released in 2012
    #3 The story is boring by THE FIRST CUTSCENE (in other words it starts boring)

EA ate this developer (BioWare) and they turned the good things going on there into mush. Mass Effect 2 and now Mass Effect 3 are crap and it is a damn shame because any real gamer who played Mass Effect knows how cool it was and
    knows how awesome it would have been if BioWare had just been left alone to do their thing. If EA never came along with their whore money then we'd probably just be seeing Mass Effect 2 right now and it would be epic, but instead we've already had 2 sequels and a Dragon Age game in the amount of time it used to take BioWare to make one real game. Add to that, Dragon Age 2 was as appetizing as cold puke.

Well, that is what you get when EA comes around with their whore money. You get sold out. You get a game like "The Simpsons". This game sucks and I hate EA, like every other real gamer out there. Killzone 3 was far better than this drivel, this crap fest, and Killzone 3 wasn't the best showing.

ME3 is a masquerade of a dead developers old ideas. ME was awesome, but it is dead and EA has been wringing money out of a corpse, much like a record label does to its dead artists. And, that is exactly what EA does, it buys talent and then whores it to death using only the name of something that was once great. EA may have a hundred thousand talented developers but it doesn't matter one bit. It is well known that EA rushes their games to the market in order to get cash. Their MO is buy a popular game and whore it out. That's what you have here ME3 is an ugly whore of pimp daddy EA, just wants your cash, doesn't give a crap if you come back for more ME4 or 5 because they'll have new whores soon.

And, BioWare can kiss my ass too. Sellouts.
    Enjoy your yachts and whatever else you bought.
    I don't care. You aren't getting anymore of my money.

You can feel in every corner of this game from the menu to the action that this is not a BioWare game. ME 3 is ME2 with a different story, there is absolutely no difference between the two. If you liked ME then you will hate this, just like ME2.

Why are you so tasteless EA?
    Why can't you make a game that does more than taste like stale cardboard?
    I've got nothing against you except for the fact that you just SUCK at making anything fun.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    I may not have played Mass Effect before, but on friend recommendation, I tried it just this once. I've heard of Bioware's reputation of late. I find it to be very true in this case. This game is rancid. Do not waste any of your money on it. As many have said, it needs work in story, character, voice acting, and gameplay. Ohhh yes, it needs substantial work in gameplay. I literally had to try as hard as I could to play through the game for the frist four hours, but after that I promptly threw the game into a fire and hid in a corner. Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 2.9
    Rather than trying to expand on the formula which set Mass Effect as one of those rpg-shooter hybrids which grow more frequent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like. Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has done nothing of note except somehow end
    up on Earth and is being trailed by the Alliance for the **** you've done". That's nice, guess he stopped working with Cerberus and the Council's spectre status meant nothing. Anyway, auto-dialogue sets in with little to no player input for minutes on end, probably one of their new innovations when impatient people found dialogue boring and then explosions occur and the Reapers are there. The entire galaxy acts shocked. Now, maybe I expected too much from the writers but the pacing is horrible. This isn't just for the intro--though the intro does a wonderful job of showing it--with the entire game having Shepard talking without the player's input and the game hoping to imagine you know **** when you don't before explosions happen everywhere. It almost seems like they were trying to build a blockbuster movie rather than write the end of the trilogy, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson being supervised by Michael Bay who's constantly yelling "MORE EXPLOSIONS" throughout the entire creation process. In addition to this, importing serves little to no purpose. Killed a character before? It's somehow back alive! Spare a character? Well, they died off-screen! The consequences which were advertised for years now, since the very inception of the series, becoming meaningless and serving nothing but wasting a writer's five seconds to create a new line for the sake of importing. I feel like I've been robbed, not simply because of my purchase of ME3 being a complete waste but the entire trilogy built up absolutely nothing. Unable to play ME1 or ME2 anymore, ME3 spoils the entire experience. If I wanted automatic dialogue, crappy plots and one-liners I would find myself playing Gears of War, least they have a slightly rewarding ending (Yes, ME3 ends on a downer note that tries to be optimistic and leaves you with hundreds of questions, none which they try to answer). Bioware has fallen hard as of yet, I don't trust they'll be able to stand anymore. Useless information: Gameplay is choppy on PC, one button covering a thousand functions reeks of bad porting. Graphics are worse on PC, shadows everywhere try to obscure poor textures. High Res Patch may be coming but it won't matter since everything is hidden under layers of shadow. Multiplayer gets tiresome quickly, essentially being singleplayer without the dialogue (oh wait, that is the singleplayer. lol.) which you fight waves of enemies with Hackett telling you to do things here or there. Level up system is poorly thought out, certain characters have huge imbalances and you need to sacrifice your MP character to get assets for the Single Player (REPLAY VALUE!!111 *cough* not). Multiplayer is also necessary to get the better endings, which is absolutely **** absurd. Day 1 DLC up the ass costing upwards to 900$ for everything. Mass Effect 3 is absolute garbage, as much as I hate to say it. Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    Terrible writing, half-baked gameplay, Scrooge-esque DLC issues, and the removal of everything that was likeable about the franchise from before. Bioware is pushing the cart, and EA is cracking the whip.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    At time of writing a major feature of this game(the ability to carry over your character from a previous game) does not function. The vast majority will play this game to continue the story with THEIR character making it arguably the most important feature in the game. How this made it through QA or was never tested is beyond rational thought. This is tantamount to selling something you cannot deliver. Collapse
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 was a great game and didn't deserve to end like this. Its like lovingly raising a son then having him backstab you when he gets older. Mass Effect 3 is a generic corridor shooter with pukingly bad dialog and a laughable story. The ending is like something my 5 year old niece wrote if I gave her 6 beers, yes it is THAT bad. Way to wrap up the story to your flagship IP Bioware. Day 1 DLC? We got that too. Anybody who supports this needs to have their head examined. I could go on but writing this is making my blood boil as it is. SAVE your money, DON'T support sloppy game development. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's eye of the beholder I supposed, because I've beaten this game and find it to be, at best, mediocre. The boss fights, aside from Kai Leng, were lazily created. (the reaper fight is awful, you find the reapers weakness and its never brought up again) The missions were incredibly linear and shoddily designed. The cyberspace stage made me want to kill myself it was so lazily designed, my god. The ONLY relevant item which carried over from the previous games regards Quarians and the Geth. That's it, aside from that it's throwaway lines and the same results as Bioware would have you get regardless. The story itself is silly. Honestly, Mordin's death was the only part which was really handled well. 5/10 game. Expand
  30. Mar 7, 2012
    Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience' destroyed by awkward animations.

Try again without EA, Bioware.
  31. Mar 7, 2012
    Between the clunky and poor animations to the seemingly rushed, ret-conned and overall poor story ME3 was a real slap in the face. The games only redeeming feature is it's TPS gameplay and better example could be found in other modern games. The soundtrack in not memorable although the voice acting is par for the returning cast. Conversation options decreased to selecting either a Paragon or Renegade response and most conversations are automatic. Expand
  32. Mar 9, 2012
    In an early area in Mass Effect 3, you enter a group of rooms in the Citadel. There are over 40 NPCs there. You can talk with exactly two characters, overhear a conversation between one other pair, and, for the rest of the 40some NPCs, you can stand next to them, while they do nothing. Like Dragon Age 2, this game's not finished. The world's empty and cold, even though there are tons of NPCs around. It feels lonely, even when it's full of what should and could be life. Expand
  33. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apparently, after DA2 and TORtanic, BioWare have now pinched-out another classic game, enhanced with Day-1 DLC, linear gameplay, ORIGIN for the PC, and a tripartite ending choice that makes many gamers, after having invested dozens upon dozens of hours of gameplay with the franchise, want to commit hari kiri. . . . Apparently, eschewing much player-choice in this latest sequel to the MASS EFFECT series, BioWare have included their "awesome-button" with this dreck, which might be better named MASS APPEAL 3, due to limited exploration, near-complete disregard for historical player-choice and odd design implementation. Aside from some XBOX technical guffaws, such as my femShep falling through the world during the Tuchanka Eve series with the Hammer activations, extensive plot-changing cutscenes with minimal player-input have derailed a MASS EFFECT series that was originally a player-driven RPG and not a combat-heavy, awesome-button homage to stilted dialogue choices with nearly-identical outcomes. How BioWare's continuity department envisioned MASS EFFECT 3's wrangling with philosophical, social and moral issues such as implied xenophobia, homosexuality, interspecies coupling and the biological-species-rule, while omitting or ignoring coherent closure with a myriad of player-driven endings is mind-numbing. Simply put, it is apparent that more design and interplay have been woven into the story arc regarding Shepard's "top or bottom" status than the ending of the entire trilogy. In other words, BioWare had the will, the time and energy to craft homosexual plot threads and allude to interspecies sexual trysts throughout the subtext of MASS EFFECT but could NOT be bothered to make any ending that had consistency with lore, player-choice, the intrinsic MASS EFFECT experience? This following observation might be simplistic; BUT, what kind of DLC should I buy for a universe that no LONGER EXISTS? -In other words, shall I play the game AGAIN and see if it turns out any differently? /facepalm. Expand
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    I honestly can't see why anyone would negatively review this game. Yes the game has day one DLC, stop crying. If the DLC had been held for a month no one would have cared. This game is irrefutably amazing so stop giving it a bad score because it deserves every ounce of the 94 critics have given it.

This game is a satisfying end to one of the greatest sci-fi universes of all time. Single
    player is smooth and game play is very fun, however the story is where Mass Effect shines through. The game knows how to keep you interested when you may be tired of the game play. I was also very impressed by the quality of the multiplayer. It may not be as good as Gears or Nazi Zombies but for a game that has always been devoted to singleplayer they pulled off an amazing transition to coop multiplayer. In summary, ignore the haters, buy the game. Don't miss out on one of the greatest games of this generation just because some people are stupid. Expand
  35. Mar 15, 2012
    This Game needs a couple of lable warnings MULTIPLAYER AND PURCHASED DLC REQUIRED FOR THIS GAME. The final chapter of a very endearing series, to me, left me mostly disappointed. There is no transition in the beginning of the game from ME2 to ME3. You are given a huge plot hole to start the game that took me about ten hours worth of game playing to move on and get over it. The graphics are the same except that it has a much darker look closer to the original ME1. . The weapon's inventory system is mostly about giving you different benefits and not so much on upgrades. Just like ME2, you can only add upgrades to Shepard's armor and it is also all about having different benefits. The rest of the game plays out like what you expect from Mass Effect; get missions, blast away enemy, have some engaging cutscenes for the conclusions. Combat is definitley better. It finally ranks up there with the other top third person shooters. As far as story goes, Bioware still shows why they make the best "interactive cinematic experiences with a more intricate storyline backed up by great voice acting. But in this game, interactive takes a back seat to watching more cinematic cutscenes. The Love Interests don't make an emotional connection in any meaningful way. And the ending? There isn't any that will revel to you your final decision. I feel for the other fans to have to end the series like this. For me, it was disappointing. Expand
  36. Mar 6, 2012
    Repetition, repetition, repetition, talking, talking, talking, cut scene, wonky gun fight, cut scene, rinse and repeat. Save your money and buy Mass Effect 2 for a third the price! ME3 is practically the exact same game as ME2, besides the new online multiplayer "horde mode", but even this new multiplayer mode loses it's appeal quick, and i mean QUICK. Wait for ME3 to drop in price, or run out and buy ME2 used. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2012
    Solid singleplayer, amazing multiplayer, If you have played mass effect 1 or 2 then you already have this game and love it, I'm not going to be able to say anything to help. If you don't have this game, Think if your favorite shooter had select-able squadmates, customizable weapons and armor. Now if it had a story like a choose your own adventure.
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    All these negative reviews are a joke. The game is a league above every other game out there. Looking at the critic reviews, this will be game of the year.
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    The story takes you along a grand ride through beautiful cinematics and epic battles. Bioware knows the correct formula in making a great game and they stuck by what makes Mass Effect great. The storyline is simple, save Earth. You are faced with the task of assembling your team again to face the group Cerberus, the infamous reapers, swarms of husks, and some great new enemies. You are able to explore and discover various planets full of resources, weapons, upgrades and more... This galactic adventure will have you glued to your seat addicted for more and if you haven't played ME1 or ME2 there's no need to worry. The story allows you to hop right into the present time and it will fill in the gaps for you. Don't pay attention to the Mass Effect trolls who think Bioware is attempting to gain the COD audience. No offense, but the average COD players are the one ones trolling the forums blasting this game because they are mostly simple minded and complexity in games isn't favorable to them. Take a chance on Mass Effect if you enjoy a great story and intense war sequences. This game is the real deal! Expand
  40. Mar 6, 2012
    Lots of fun, great game. The game has 3 settings; 1 for people wanting to play a shooter, 1 for traditional mass effect players, and 1 for people that don't want to deal with shooting. Be warned, this choice effects the rest of the game. There's no mandatory DLC, it's an optional character with no story outside the DLC.. just like Mass effect 2's DLC.
  41. Mar 6, 2012
    Ignore the critics. alright guys mass effect, i'm sure everyone is going to get it one day. but reviews should be based on the retail price at release so here we go. ME3 is just like ME2, you get the goodies of character interaction, voice acting, and the awesome story. the combat has gotten a little clunkier as seen by the demo, but its not too bad. the reason mass effect is getting such a low score is how long it is.. you can do it all in 30-40 hours after that might as well sell the game compare that to skyrim's 170 hours, or dragon age origins 70 hours.
    do yourselves a favor, save $ and wait until this hits the $20 price it should have started at. personally i'l be picking up batman arkam city since it is a good price now (30)

side note, didn't do multiplayer yet, but from the demo it will be boring in a day just play Horde in gears and you get the idea.
  42. Mar 17, 2012
    Doesn't do what the series promised from the start, make your choices matter. We and the series deserved better. BAD BAD BAD ending! Keep saying to my self after I beat the game, "What a horrible game!" The non-ending really puts a damper on the whole series. Feel like I wasted my time since the first one (and I LOVED the first two games)I I assumed I would learn how MY choices changed the Mass Effect galaxy.And no I wasn't expecting too much, but was expecting SOMETHING, ANYTHING! EA better not try to sell a DLC ending or I will officially declare Bioware a EA money grab casualty. At least right now their good reputation still has them on life support. But I think the writings on the wall. Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is nothing but spamware that infects your hard drive. It then tempts you into spending more money to "fix it". Disgraceful. Bioware used to be a great game company. No more...
  44. Mar 6, 2012
    Guys this game is amazing! Why are you all complaining about the lack of interactivity? It's been toned down because there's no guarantee of a direct sequel unlike the last two had. So Bioware really has no reason to include many mutual decisions that wouldn't help create a definitive end, nor more random decisions because they won't have anything else to carry on with. And if you don't like the ending, play it again, find one you like. It's Bioware's story to tell, they decide how this universe finishes. Expand
  45. Mar 6, 2012
    The greatest ending for one of the best trilogy of these years. I'm surprised of all these bad reviews...Bioware succeeded in creating the only possible continuation , perfectly linked to the previous episodes and an absolute mind-blowing experience.
  46. Mar 6, 2012
    Watching all these people come here and write these reviews about a game that has been out less than 10 hours. Writing as though they have even the slightest clue what they are talking about. The pure hatred coming from **** and other related places is just pathetic. This game is easily the best game released in the past few years, and I would say it in combination with ME and ME2 rates this trilogy the highest of any in my book. The Demo alone is considerably better than half the games that are rated higher from many of these people who are reviewing this game. Second is the fact that nearly every 0/10 review or 1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10 are simply speaking about the download center. A fact that was widely announced has little bearing on the storyline. They are a side quest as many would call it. If you don't choose to do it, nothing will be missed in the grand scheme of things. People are going out of their way to find reasons to dislike the game simply because they do not agree with a DLC. I mean honestly, $5 bucks? How about you buy one less drink at the bar, or one less coffee in the morning, and 'Ta-da!', you've done it you can now afford to pay for this absurd complaint. Here's a hypothetical (is actually the truth in sheeps clothing):
    Those that say "It shouldn't be a DLC since the game was released at the same time as it." If I developed a game and got it ready to be distributed; spoke with distributors and find out it'll take roughly 3 months to get it out. So I need to hand them a finished product to be duplicated a billion times and packaged and sent out. ... Sooooo great, what do I do now with the 90 days until release? Oh! I know I'll start developing Downloadable content. 90 days passes:

Ok, so I have 30 different download packs, but I REALLY like this one that i've been working on, in fact, I am going to make it available now since it deserves to be seen.

Publics reaction:
    HOW DARE YOU CHARGE US FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME?!?!

The logic behind this outrage is almost entirely based on pure ignorance. I hate to say it like that but it's true, this game would otherwise be rated 100/100 if there wasn't so many protesting things that don't even matter. $5 bucks guys.... $5 bucks. I could wander the streets collecting cans and gather that much in an hour. As for the game: I mentioned before the gameplay is amazing, the combat is so fluid in combination with the newer moves available in ME3(diving, etc..) The multi player itself could be sold as an independent game, hell I spent 50 or so hours just on the demo. There are several styles to play, story / rpg / action so you can choose just how much storyline or action you want out of your gaming experience. Seriously, these guys thought of it all! I don't want to throw in any spoilers, so just go out and get the game, you won't be dissapointed.
  47. Mar 6, 2012
    You are a anally frustrated man-child if you honestly give this game a 0/10

Yeah, sure, it has it's problems, every game does, you're not supposed to go into it expecting 10/10 GOTYAY! That's stupid and building yourself up for disappointment. Is this game fun? Yeah, quite fun. Is it the best game ever? No, I wouldn't go that far. Is it a satisfying end to a trilogy? Yes.

If you reviewed
    this and gave it a 0/10 and justified it by saying "They abandoned their roots!" Go to bed. If you enjoyed Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 there's no reason to hate this game, especially considering that it's a big step up from Mass Effect 2.

So yeah, don't listen to the cry babies giving it a 0/10, everything has a redeeming quality, sorry this isn't "Super Waifu Desu Simulator Uguu 2012", but it is a very nice space opera and a fitting close to a nice story.
  48. Mar 6, 2012
    Maass Effect 3 is the best one in the series. The story is amazing and it gives a very immersive experience. By the way ignore the negative reviews they're just people who are complaining about dlc and will never get laid in life.
  49. Mar 7, 2012
    I played ME1 and ME2 many many times. Both wonderful games. saw no reason the third game would be any different. Had the perfect character lined up to import. Purchased ME3 played a few hours, and now I feel awful. None of the choices i made in 1 and 2 matter, and I don't get to make anymore choices. all I get to do is play a terrible COD game. I feel cheated and heartbroken.
  50. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass of Dootie. Really sad...The demise of this series is reflected in the evolution of the overall art design. Smooth, idealized, hi concept grand space opera to the dirty, over buckled dumbed down gears of war shoot'em up. And while many will be quick to point out that such choices more accurately portray the realities of war, those same choices diminish the spirit of the Mass Effect universe so wonderfully revealed in the first game. (eg. heat clips for ammo control...really? welcome to the future...looks a lot like today...a high concept sci-fi design choice to reflect the time of the Mass Effect age removed to cater to common gaming conventions of 2012)

The writing of the game suffers...players who started this series with the first game carry the benefit of that game's writing in the affection they carry for their companions. Little has been done to develop those relationships beyond the superficial. Writing is stock. Thankfully, at least for femshep, strong voice talent mitigates an otherwise uninspired dialogue. I could go on...but i won't: this game is a sell out we as gamers should have seen coming after Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. Bioware has abandoned its roots.
  51. Mar 8, 2012
    The ending is so bad that it almost ruins the previous games. Thank you Bioware for all your empty promises. The choices you make through out the series, really don't matter at all you'll get the same ending.
  52. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I loved the first 2 games. This one was not as bad as Ive heard people saying. I thought the graphics were good the story was good and combat was top notch. The only problem I have is with the ending. You give me 3 choices all of them end up the same way? Like another reviewer said, what's the point in going back and playing the 1st and 2nd just to have it all end in the 3rd. It not only ends it ends badly. You get the same crap ending no matter what you did in the first 2 games or this one Paragon/Renegade don't matter. No matter how high your readiness is you still die. I think I would actually be ok with Shepard dying if it would have shown a hero ceremony, a funeral or shown my love interest (Liara) mourning my death. It would have given me the feeling that yes I died but I died for a reason. It just kind of cuts off at the end. You see familiar faces but they look as if nothing happened. Nobody looks sad that Shepard is gone, it's just back to normal. That is what ultimately pisses me off. I didn't get to choose my outcome, bioware chose it for me. I feel like I have wasted 5 years of my life playing these games, and now I wish I never played the 3rd one. I feel all who played it have been cheated. Unless Bioware puts in a DLC that fixes this horrible ending they will never get another dime from me as they have lost me as a fan and customer. FIX IT BIOWARE!!! Expand
  53. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong, the game is solid 9/10 game until the very end. Unfortunately, the horribly poor writing and the illusion of choice in the final sequence â Expand
  54. Mar 15, 2012
    This game was awful. It was like watching one of those summer blockbusters (avatar the last airbender for example) where it's got all the elements of something you should really like, but it's just really poorly executed, and the ending is god awful. Don't buy this game, don't support this developer, they've just been going downhill since they were sold to Electronic Arts.
  55. Mar 24, 2012
    The ending ruins the entire series. I recommend that you avoid this game unless you want ME1 and ME2 to be ruined for you as well. Really disappointed in BioWare.
  56. Mar 7, 2012
    One of the better games I've played in the last decade; Mass Effect 3 improves on the other preceding titles in virtually all manners barring some subjective ways others may deem inaccurate or useless. To explain: The combat is much better and smoother, conversations are more realistic and just in general top-notch, the characters both new & old are vastly improved, voice acting (especially from Mark Meer) is vastly superior and the emotion runs high in the story throughout. Most importantly, the story is much better than Mass Effect 2's, although it falls short (barely) of Mass Effect 1. I strongly suggest buying it for these reasons alone, but there is more... The multiplayer, which is unexpected to say the very least, had me underwhelmed when I first saw it disclosed, but when I played the demo, and now in the retail, I have grown to see it as an integral component to the game and like the rest of it is of massive quality. The supplementary "Galaxy at War" is also interesting, if underdeveloped, and I would like to see it improved in future DLC. Lastly, I should mention what I found to be bad: -Animations when taking cover can sometimes glitch and freeze characters or make them look lifeless (i.e. you have full control but while on the wall they don't breath etc) -Some old friends in the textures popping up; this is rare, and happens almost universally after you finish an N7 mission. -I would have liked if it was more difficult, it's easy (to an extent) for a gamer of my skill (Average, possibly slightly above-average). -A few plot holes, easily forgivable given their minimal impact/enjoyable repercussions Other than those small gripes, the game is outstanding, and is well worth the price of the retail and even the Collector's edition; if you own an Xbox or PC (I do not recommend for Playstation due to lack of Mass Effect 1) you owe it to yourself to play -experience- Mass Effect 3 for yourself. Don't listen to the 10's who blindly love the game, or the reds/0's who give their gripes with EA/Bioware/DLC as reasons for hate, carefully evaluate what the critics say and compare it with a rental or a purchase; I promise you will not regret it Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2012
    Don't listen to the haters. Either they're crybabies over, not getting a CE, the day one DLC "From Ashes", or they overreacted to the leaked ending WITHOUT ever playing through the game from the start themselves. Which is nearly guaranteed since the video leaks happened a week or two before release anyway.

This is a fitting conclusion to an EPIC trilogy, and it closes well enough.
    Obviously, you can't please everyone! Yet I think I writers did a good a job bringing it to life. For a saga as huge as Mass Effect, They came through. If the whiners can write a better story, then go, stop whining, and MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN GAME. Since ME3 wasn't good enough for your amazing tastes, and they are so much more talented than the people that make these games anyway... ;) Expand
  58. Mar 6, 2012
    Some of you people need to grow up with your 0's. Obviously this game is not getting a 0 It makes you people looks childish.
    Anyway---another great installment in the series, if you liked the others you will surely enjoy the third.
  59. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i've had some time to reflect and punch a few holes in the wall to get my frustration out and i think i'm ready to put into words how i feel 24 hours after the "good" ending in mass effect 3

to start, my RI was Tali. once i killed the reaper on ranoch i opted to upload the reaper code to the geth via legion. despite tali not wanting me to, i felt this was the best course of action for her, her people, the galaxy, and even the geth. i was able to talk the fleet out of counter attacking the geth while the code was being uploaded and tali still loves me. whew. this got me thinking however, what if my paragon was too low and the quarians did attack the geth. what would happen? i pulled up youtube to find out.

this was the most moving and emotional punch in the gut i've ever seen in a video game. assuming this had happened in my playthrough, i'd have been devastated. moments earlier tali told me she loved me and i have just wiped out her entire people. heartbroken, she jumps over the edge. thought i was going to cry.

where the hell was this level of emotion and effort in the ****ing end game bioware? as far as voice acting/ performance go, the quarians being wiped out and tali dying was so difficult to watch, yet so well done, i was completely blown away. that level of devastation and pain should've been put into the endgame and i don't know if i can ever forgive bioware for it. they took maybe the greatest game ever made, at least for me, and complelty half assed the last 5 minutes.

now, i'll be clear, i wanted a happy ending, but if that's not how it was going to be then fine. i'll get over it. but to do it the way that they did, i, just, uuuuughhh. ......
  60. Mar 11, 2012
    What's behind the puzzling endings for such a great game series. Were they artificially trying to make people feel from their game? Were they trying to keep any new games from being made with the same characters? I am not a bot. I am not a EA hater. I am not part of some vast conspiracy. I just hate the endings. If they would fix the endings. I would change my score. But they wont and i wont. It deserves a 8 it gets a 2 for such really stupid endings. Expand
  61. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes for ME3, Ive been a fan since the beginning. I like the game so far, gameplay is vastly improved, dialogue is strong, everything that was bad about the first two games was corrected in ME3. I feel like I have less dialogue choices now. there's no middle option, so that detracted my experience a little bit. Overall, this game is quite enjoyable, and a nice fitting end to Mass Effect. I like the characters, some have developed, The little retcons here and there are annoying but bearable, but it is kind of sad. Gameplay is fantastic, plays a bit like a Gears of War clone, but it still plays better. The sound and music are phenomenal, and the Graphics have improved, but could be better. Im giving it a 7 because despite the pros of the game, EA/Bioware have destroyed this game. their marketing strategies, dlc, day one dlc that has a pretty important character, and the feeling that it's about making money rather than making a great game. dont get me wrong, it's a fun game, but it could have been even better than what it was if the meta stuff was removed. EA, you are a terrible company. Bioware, you have lost a fan. this is my last EA/Bioware game I will ever buy, despite the fun I am having, you have lost a fan. Expand
  62. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved the Mass Effect series. The second one got away from the RPG elements a little bit and played more like Gears of Mass Effect, and now they have just stripped the soul out of the series. The dialogue choices here have been vastly lowered, the skills have been dumbed down and streamlined so much that I would be hard pressed to even call it an RPG anymore. The writing is godawful, which used to be BioWare's strong suit. BioWare has been telling us for years now that the choices we made in the first 2 games would have direct implications in the finale. Aside from a few minor instances, this is just not the case. The game is brutally short, with little to no replay value. I haven't tried the multiplayer and probably won't, simply because I don't need to play another online shooter. R.I.P. BioWare, after the debacle that was Dragon Age 2, I was willing to give you another shot with this series, but you've blown it and I will not be contributing another penny to any game you develop in the future. Expand
  63. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is probably nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Up to a very specific point, the game is beautiful, poetic, and engaging. Games that produce a swell of emotions in the player are rare, and the Mass Effect series does this better than anyone else. When you come across familiar characters, you feel a joy akin to running into an old friend. When they die, you feel a genuine sense of loss. The music is perfect, the combat is tight, and the visuals evoke a sense of scale that truly befits the often-used but rarely deserved adjective "EPIC".

But like I said, this is only up to a very specific point, and that point is when Shepard enters the beam of light and is transported to the Citadel. The plot holes introduced in the last 10 minutes of the series are so numerous, the inconsistencies and contradictions so prevalent, the choices so limited, and the 16 "different" endings so homogeneous, that it bears little resemblance to anything that led the player to this point.

The outrage that has been generated by this game's ending is like nothing before, and the massive discrepancy that exist between the player and critic reviews is very telling. I'm sorry, but I cannot recommend this game.
  64. Mar 6, 2012
    Brilliant end to a great trilogy. It's all about great characters, story, graphics and an epic movie like feeling. The gameplay is still quite good, but will never compare to the rest of the elements.
  65. Mar 7, 2012
    ME3 is an abomination in comparison to its predecessors, it is sloppily made and poorly written and even has scenery proven by users to have been pulled off of google search ( one of the main characters Tali Zorah proven to have been a poorly photoshopped version of a stock photo). This game should have been aborted, the dialogue options are pants on head retarded and the combat is hindered by poor controls and bugs. Couple all this with $860 dollars worth of DLC (as well as a DLC ending that is the only one that doesnt absolutely suck) and we have a game that is better off left pirated or not bought at all. The endings are so bad that if you are a true fan of the mass effect series you would stop at 2 since the ending of ME3 is full of plot holes and forced endings that are supposed to be "so sad and edgy". The story of ME3 can be seen identically in games over a decade old such as Dues ex and Star Control. This is horrible for a triple A game released in 2012. Expand
  66. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The endings are all massively disappointing. Your options seem to kill almost everyone, and the way the mass relays react to the energy surge seems to show them blowing up regardless of the option you pick. Shephard dies no matter how well you prepare or what you do. The galaxy at war map never **** changes. It's always "offline". Your readiness never shifts from 50%. So yeah, thanks Bioware. Thanks for building up such a great game and then giving me a rushed and **** ending.

All of those complaints said and out of the way. I was really happy with the game. Enjoying everything that happened for the most part. Some of the dialogue was goofy at times and I don't mean in a sappy way. I mean it was showing poor writing. Whoever approved these endings needs to be **** fired. I would give this game a 9/10 if the endings weren't so terrible and half-assed.
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    Third Person Shooter: this is what Mass Effect 3 is. Do you remember Dragon Age 2? Déjà vu.
    Do whatever you want (rent, buy) but don´t expect a good game like ME2 or a masterpiece like ME.
  68. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware retrurns to the stage to provide a magnificent end to an epic series!

Mass Effect 3 provides beautiful scenery, invigorating combat, heart wrenching stories and an all around immersive experience. Bioware has once again proven that they are one of the greatest developers around!

Check out Mass Effect 3 available on EA Origin alongside other great hits such as: Battlefield 3, The
    Sims 3, annd Star Wars - The Old Republic! Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2012
    Honestly, everybody loves this game so they're playing it. it's only the haters here. The game is fantastic, one of the best games this generation without a doubt
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    This game hasn't even been out for 24 hours, I don't get where some of the hate on these reviews comes from. I've played the first couple hours and have enjoyed it.
  71. Mar 7, 2012
    So I go to the gamestop to pick up ME3 and I get my gaming area all ready with cool ranch doritos and fanta. I pop what I thought was gonna be game of the year into my 360 and the game literally has an easy button built in, just like what hamburger helper wanted. Then, to get a good single player ending you have to play the hamfisted in multiplayer. This is purely to penalize the gamers who buy the game used because you have to spend $10 on an online pass. Then, Tali's face was a badly shopped stock image. The removed fingers even still had the bones they didn't bother to remove. The games ending was stolen from a wallpaper. Bioware has NO RESPECT for the gaming community between DA2, SWTOR and ME3. Expand
  72. Mar 8, 2012
    ...to kill a whole trilogy with one stupid final ending must be a new record of gaming history. Ever choice you did has TOTALY no effect or even a little tiny side effect of the ending.....gj Bioware...you proof yourself worthy to EA
  73. Mar 8, 2012
    this game is a step down from both previous games in the series. the writing is cheesy without trying to be, the new character james is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a video game, i found plenty of bugs, and the combat is stale. i'd be lying if i said i didn't have ANY fun but overall it's not worth the money or time put in. idk what the hell happened, but they seriously need to find new writers. how you have the selling point of a highly successful series seem like an afterthought is beyond me. buy it from the bargain bin one day, it'll be right next to dragon age 2 Expand
  74. Mar 9, 2012
    I have always been a huge fan of BioWare and I believe that Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the best games I've ever played. I was so excited to play ME:3! That ended last night...

The game of ME:3 itself is outstanding. The voice acting, combat system and RPG elements were really fun to play through (except the character generation). What killed it for me was the last 20-30 minutes of the game
    which make absolutely no logical sense. In this small window, you find out that nothing you've done, none of your choice make any difference. In the end, you still lose. It is the most depressing ending to any game I've ever played and makes me wish I never heard of Mass Effect. If you enjoyed ME: 1 & 2, you're going to be very upset with part 3. If you buy this, you'll toss away hours of time only to find out that the worst possible ending imaginable is exactly what you'll get. I really wish this wasn't the case. Expand
  75. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the sublime perfection that was Mass Effect 2, this game was such a huge disappointment. For starters you're forced to play multiplayer in order to boost your "Galactic Readiness", a score used to determine how likely you are to succeed in defeating the Reapers (the main villians of the Mass Effect trilogy). Even though I completed every side mission I could find (some I could not finish due to bugs) it wasn't enough to get over 4000 needed for Shepard to survive (I was stuck at 3,800-odd). Another disappointment was the lack of returning characters from ME2. Most of the characters popped up during the course of the game, but there was very little chance to interact with them. Worse, the few characters that could be interacted with rarely had dialogue trees where you could choose what to say to them, instead the dialogue was entirely fixed. There were some nice moments, like the interactions with Joker and EDI, but overall this game disappoints compared to ME2. Finally, by far the biggest problem are the endings. At the end you are given the choice of three endings, but all of them are utterly terrible. As the conclusion to a trilogy, this is hugely disappointing. After all the blood, guts and tears the story deserved a much better ending than the ones offered. I would be willing to pay good money for Bioware to make a new ending and release it as DLC. SO DISAPPOINTING. :( Expand
  76. Mar 12, 2012
    If Bioware hadn't rushed this out, and put in a proper ending, then I wouldn't have created an account just to voice my displeasure. As it stands, Bioware destroyed several hundred hours worth of enjoyment in all of thirty minutes. They took a series that has, from the beginning, been grounded in enjoyable science fiction, our choices having impact, and a powerful main character that consistently defied the odds... Then they turned said main character into a braindamaged invalid unable to question orders of a random star-child-god-thing. They removed any actual choice, as in the end each ending is just the same thing with different colors. Science fiction went out the window for random crystal-crazy metaphysics and some omnipotent star-child.

First Dragon Age 2. Then issues with TOR. Now, issues with a finale I have been waiting years for. No, I don't think I'll be buying anything from Bioware again. They can talk all they want about EA not having changed them... But there's been a lot of bad since they came along.
  77. Mar 12, 2012
    As a fan of the previous two games, I was disappointed with this final installment. The third installment is unfortunately rifled with a lot of dumbing down of the franchise. Conversation choices have been severely limited, as have the number of dialog choices; especially those which actually matter. This comes into play for the worst in the ending which is a huge disappointment, to say the least. The series hailed itself as choice since the beginning, but the way your choices end up affecting the ending seem to be arbitrary at best. It's also unfortunate multiplayer is required to get the best ending possible. I believe you can get it if you make very specific choices in the campaign (i.e. not all Paragon or all Renegade, you need a guide in your lap to mix and choose very specific ones) but chances are you won't get it without a guide. Multiplayer itself feels very tacked on and more of a mandate by the publisher, similar to how I felt on Multiplayer in Bioshock 2. Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought the game at midnight and played it solid until about 10am, thats because the story and writting is just so damn good that I want to see what happens next. I haven't beaten it yet, and while I know alot of people have I am trying to enjoy it and do the side missions, and the fetch quests, and really take in the Final chapter of Commander Shepard and his crew. Point being this game is EXTREMELEY fun and takes care of the true fans and new comers alike. If you loved ME 1, 2, then you owe your self to see this through. Those that are bad mouthing this game seemed to be expecting a pure run and gun action game and nor a RPG. Once more, play this game and see what an amazing feeling it is to see choices you made in 2007 (ME 1), 2010 (ME 2) and now come to an Epic close. Have fun!!! Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    are you people serious....the only reason this game is getting zero is because of homophobes who don't even want the option for same sex relationships...and whiners who are still butthurt from the day 1 dlc thing...i agree its stupid...but a game dosen't deserve a zero just for that...especially if you never played it
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    Never before has a game trilogy come together like this, the story is epic the gameplay is refined, and the scale is unlike the biggest blockbuster hits. Some of the side quests can be a little silly and there are some technical bumps but they don't distract from the main, amazing experience.
  81. Mar 10, 2012
    The game itself is not bad, it isn't. There are some moments that are written rather plainly, like something our of a poorly written piece of fanfiction. There are bugs and that sort of thing, but the bottom line is the game is quite good. The soundtrack is arguably one of the best VG soundtracks to ever be released. The galactic readiness system is well done, and detailed. Some of the writing is amazing, the ending of a few side characters arcs for example. But this is all overshadowed by the extremely poor endings. Not only are the endings poorly written, in that they are all basically the same thing, but they can hardly be called endings. They give no sense of closure or an explanation. There is no epilogue, there is no finality. It's almost as if Bioware got tired of writing and just pumped the endings out withing five minutes of finalizing the product. It's a truly terrible way to end an otherwise good game, and fantastic trilogy. To say that the endings leave a bad taste in your mouth, would be an understatement. I cannot rate ME3 any higher than this, for a game that has such an emphasis on story and the development of the character's relationships to end like this, is abhorrent. Expand
  82. Mar 7, 2012
    Cons: Interactive movie on wheels, extremely linear, and predictable. Another sub par EA game. Pros: Cost:Hours of Gameplay ratio still better than other forms of entertainment, but if you're short on cash borrow or rent this humdrum game.
  83. Mar 7, 2012
    as a competitive call of duty player this is my favorite scifi game on the pc

i also liked the story very much, its about

84. Mar 9, 2012
    Takes the best parts of Dragon Age 2 and combines them with Mass Effect 2 to give you this five-star lesson in why people will read through ANYTHING to finish a story they enjoyed the beginning of, even if they thought the last 2 thirds were...lacking. combat and story feel like 2 seperate games, as if one was thrown in to space out the other, while both being sub-par. 0 replay value.
  85. Mar 6, 2012
    Truly an amazing conclusion to one of the best trilogies of my generation. This series has been compared to star trek and star wars, and with good reason. This is truly a game for the history books! Its has proven that games can have a story on par with movies books and even the sci-fi classics! This game is a must buy for anyone, new to the series or not!
  86. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an incredible game and ends the trilogy successfully. The gameplay and graphics are top notch, but as expected the storytelling is where the game truly shines. Bioware manages to keep improving the series right until the end and should be commended for it. Buy copies for yourself, your friends and all their friends as you won't be disappointed.
  87. Mar 6, 2012
    How can you not give the game a 10 when the gameplay just keeps improving in each installment among tons of other things? As far as value..when most games these days you pay $60 for 5-8 hours of gameplay..this has its huge campaign and now addicting XBL multiplayer. Give me a break with the zero ratings. When a game of this caliber gets user reviews of a ridiculous score of a 0-4, its not fooling anyone that you only posted this only because its cool to hate things on the internet. Be rational..if you read this this and want to say your entitled to your opinion and you could actually not like it, that may be true, but it's inhumanly impossible to say this game is a 0 out of 10. At least rate it a 5 and then your case for why it "sucks" may be believable to the poor reader than comes on here expecting an honest review. Anyways, worth the money. May even be worth the day 1 DLC. Or ya know, that could be wrong because EA didn't follow the unwritten rule of how many days need to pass after a games release for selling a DLC to seem ethical. 10$ for NEW campaign gameplay and features that needs to be added to the hard-drive in order to be included into the game OR 15$ to download a few lines of code for 3 multiplayer maps in COD to appear as a selection to play that is already contained in the disc....? Expand
  88. Mar 6, 2012
    This is one of gaming's greatest achievements so far. Bioware have created a masterpiece. It's unbelieveable how people can give this a 0 because of gay romances and day 1 DLC. I bet none you have actually played the game
  89. Mar 6, 2012
    People, don't listen to the trolls. Everyone who enjoed the first 2 ME will love this one. It's a perfect mix between both that focuses on smoother action gameplay and more customization. The dialouges, writing and overall story are top notch and definetely up there with some the greatest games.
  90. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is near perfection to me. Gameplay is fantastic, the set pieces beautiful, even the auto-dialogue isn't as bad as I thought. But then you get to the ending and... what the heck were they thinking? Now, don't get me wrong: the endings aren't THAT bad. The problem lies with the lack of closure that comes right after 'em. Is our happy ending really a 2 second clip of Shepard gasping in the midst of rubble and the Normandy crew gazing wistfully at a new horizon? There simply should be more. I need to see Shepard get up. I need to see the Normandy crew on Earth, re-uniting with their Commander. But we don't. I suppose this "happy ending" can imply that all these things are happening but a good story shouldn't end with blanks that need your imagination to fill in. If it weren't for these endings, I would give this game a 9. It would have knocked ME1 right of its throne as my number 1 game. Unfortunately, BioWare decided to half-ass the ending of an RPG trilogy. It shouldn't end with more questions! I dislike the lack of closure so much that I'm starting to have doubts if I can ever return to ME1 & 2. I wish, I wish... an extra cut scene or two. Expand
  91. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is AMAZING. People are only bombing the game on metacritic because of the day one dlc thing. These people are flaming idiots. They think that the game itself doesn't have enough without the dlc to offer, which it clearly does, but they go ahead anyway and lie about their "review" for Mass Effect 3 just to ruin its user score. The game is excellent, great graphics, great story, good voice acting, improved gameplay mechanics. It will definitely be a contestant for the game of the year. Expand
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    So is Bioware even trying anymore. This game really is just a letdown for me. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a ton, but playing this game is really quite depressing. Everything seems just off. All of the animations are terrible, the voice acting is beyond horrendous. (Seriously I was cringing while listening to some parts.) And one of my biggest complaints is the release day DLC. What that essentially means is that they have they content out and ready and it could've been on the disk but whatever I'm sure people would love to spend TEN DOLLARS for a new ending.

Please don't waste your money on this game. It's almost as big of a let down as TOR which guess what. Was ruined by Bioware.
  93. Mar 7, 2012
    the developers forgot the most important aspect of their own game - the face that the user creates for his/her Shepard, which cannot be imported. And the face mesh in ME3 looks cartoonish - the game looks like it was developed by a completely different crew that did not bother to give visual continuity to the game.

And if that was not enough - several key characters look unlike anything
    in ME1 and ME2, one, Ashley, looks like a transvestite so bad the model is. Expand
  94. Mar 7, 2012
    Then ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that we got a clone of WoW in space (KoTOR) that is failure 2. And now ME3â Expand
  95. Mar 7, 2012
    I am commander Shepard and this is my favourite game on Metacritic. It is so good I or Commander Shepard that is The Commander Shepard gave "it" a 10 out of 10. Now stop being in the middle of some calibrations and play this game because I have had enough of your disingenuous assertions.
  96. Mar 7, 2012
    Bear in mind that I am about 7 hours into this title as I write this review. I am not waiting until I finish it, because I refuse to waste one more minute of my time on this game. I could not be more disappointed. It all started when I could not import my ME1+2 character face into the new game. This is a recognized bug which is being addressed. I'm not forgiving them for it because they new about it well before release and chose to do nothing. And it's a horrible way to start a STORY based RPG. It's like watching your favorite TV show for years only to have them replace the main character with another actor in the final season. The Story, (Which is the main reason I play Mass Effect) is terrible. I won't give away anything here which makes it very hard to explain why it's so bad, but I dont understand how you can go from being the Galaxy rock star Shepard from the end of ME2 to this pathetic lowlife that starts out in ME3. And the dialog options are redundant. There was one point where my only 2 dialog options basically said the exact same thing. I'm paraphrasing here, but the options were something like, "No way in Hell!" and "Over my dead body!". I guess I'm not allowed to agree with that NPC's statement.

Holstering your weapon has been removed. While this may not sound like a big deal, it really is. In the game environment there is a ton ammo, datapads, medpacs and all sorts of things you need to find and pick up. Since your toon is stuck in a rifle ready position, it makes it extremely difficult to find these objects. In the old games, holstering your weapon would open a free camera mode that would allow you to examine your environment. To me, this is an extremely frustrating aspect of this title. It's almost like a wannabe Gears of War. The Roleplay aspect of this game has been replaced with yet another crappy 3rd person shooter.

This game has been "dumbed down" to satisfy the masses...unfortunately you are screwing over your initial fan base on the hopes that a new fan might pick up your games finale. I'm not sure what happened to the Bioware I've loved since Baldur's Gate, but I'm sure many of the poor decisions that went into this game were heavily influenced by their new EA overlords because this company hasn't been the same since that buyout.
  97. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm sorry to say, the game's game play in all other aspects were amazing, but the ending, if we are reviewing based on overall experience completely ruined it for me... I had a ME1 and ME2 import and I did every quest I could and I enjoyed it to holy hell, but the ending was just such a misfire I couldn't even look at this game afterwards. I got early access via a hong kong server so I've had the last few days to do this and I simply cannot play anymore, not because it was a bad "game" but because in the end the story it was trying to tell completely collapsed for me. Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As much of a fan of Mass Effect as I am, I cannot get around how much of a let down this game is. Most of the dialogue choices are all ready made for you. Most of the choices you made are reversed (SPOILER: I picked Anderson as counsel, not Udina, yet Udina is counsel). The RPG elements have been dumbed down to a shell of what they were, yet combat was improved. By improved, I mean making your powers charge slower depending on how much your equipment weighs. But, the worst offender is the story. Certain people die for no reason other than forced dramatic effect. All it does is enrage the players who have invested their time and money in the first two games, defining their own path for the universe, only to see that it ultimately did not matter what they did at all. It would all end up the same way, after all. Don't listen to the critics, listen to the fans. They know what makes a game good, and this isn't it. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2012

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.