5.7

1. Mar 13, 2012
    Very solid finale to an epic trilogy, those who bash this game should be ashamed of themselves, if the developers didn't take a gamble in making a dialogue heavy series that requires you to make tough decisions and treat you as an mature gamer then they wouldn't have anything to complain about do they.
    That said some glitches are evident that stagnates the otherwise great gameplay. Missions are never boring, dialogues are epic and time will fly by while you fight the reapers.
  2. Mar 15, 2012
    Most are slating the game due to the ending but ignoring the rest of the game. Up until the last 10 minutes it is still an awesome game and does the other two proud. The ending does bring it down massively but the journey up until that point is one incomparable to most games - I did not want to stop playing for anything, not even basic food needs. That being said, the foul aftertaste ofMost are slating the game due to the ending but ignoring the rest of the game. Up until the last 10 minutes it is still an awesome game and does the other two proud. The ending does bring it down massively but the journey up until that point is one incomparable to most games - I did not want to stop playing for anything, not even basic food needs. That being said, the foul aftertaste of the ending makes me not want to pick it up again through fear of having to repeat the last stretch. The side stories you overhear, the spectacular views, improved combat and the soundtrack still make this one of my favourite games of all time, collective with the other two in the series. I can't recommend this game to anyone enough... just make sure you shut it off before the end if you want to avoid gut wrenching emotional pain :) Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2012
    It has been quite a journey. can't talk about everything due to the ltd. space. no spoilers.
    -------The Combat 9/10-------
    -------The Combat 9/10-------
    The combat is visibly better than all ME1 and 2. The level design is awesome. There are many ways to attack a situation. In the Grissom Academy level at one stage you can choose to go for an all out ground attack or take out people on the stairs and rain hell from above. The combat is just fluid and nice.

-------The Locations 9/10-------
    I believe ME3 offers many unique locations compared to ME1&2 (you are free to correct me here). The locations were just breathtaking and well designed. Visiting the temple of Althame and many many others that I don't want to spoil for you.

-------The Story and The World 7/10-------
    The story in mass effect is good but it pales in comparison to ME1 and ME2. And I'm sure that you will agree that ME2's story pales in comparison to ME1. The problem with ME3 is that the game doesn't let you connect with the story. You go on big mission from one planet to the other and that is about it. The player doesn't get the chance to feel for his/her galaxy. The story in ME1 and ME2 were good because I could connect to the world through short missions and random conversations. In ME3, I did not connect. There were no small stories and missions that made me feel like I was a part of this world. Just to highlight my point, an Elcor ambassador will plead you to save his people from his homeworld. This particular mission got me excited. I believed that I was going to land on the Elcor homeworld and save them but that never happened. I just scanned their planet and they were magically saved. This is what made me really lose that connection to the world of Mass Effect. Mass Effect 3 offers no new species and cultures for you to explore. Remember in ME1 and 2 where you landed on an unexplored planet to find something awesome, that connection is what made them so awesome. ME3 really lacks in making that connection and making you feel and live the story.

-------The Characters 5/10-------
    I am very disappointed in the characters. For those of you who played ME2, and had Zaeed Masani as a squad mate. Remember how he would say random things when you clicked on him. There weren't many dialog options and therefore there was no deep connection with Zaeed Masani. Now just expand that situation to every character in Mass Effect 3. In ME3, you have a few conversations using the wheel; after that you just go press 'A' and the character will say something and then you press 'A' again and so on. There is no connection and no immersion in the conversation and the characters. In ME1 and 2, the conversation wheel was a way of making you part of the conversation. Even if there were no new dialog options, I would still try to start a conversation with a team member. The fact that they looked at me and acknowledged my willingness to start a conversation made me feel connected to them as my team mates(in ME1&2). In ME3, the lack of conversation really bugged me. Its what I admired the series for and here it was non-existent. I am sure all of you let Kaidan die in ME1, I think it was because he didn't have many conversations with us in the game. In ME3, I feel this way about all the squad members. The only reason I feel a connection to some of the characters in ME3 is because of my past experiences with them.

-------Mission 8/10-------
    there are only two kinds of missions in ME3: main missions and fetch missions. The main missions are part of the story and that is pretty self explanatory. The fetch missions are the worst missions ever made in ME history. You don't talk to people to get fetch missions. You get missions as you overhear conversations and these missions involve scanning worlds to find items.

-------The Ending 10/10-------
    The game was a chore in a lot of ways but the ending was awesome. I know a lot of people are complaining about the ending; that the ending didn't account for all the choices you made during the game. If people are talking about the events leading up to the ending, then yeah the consequences of your choices could have been reflected better. But that is a problem with the story telling and not the ending. I was disconnected from the world of ME3 for the most part of the game but the ending pulled me right back into it. It was the only moment that I felt connected to the game. I felt my heart leap, feelings of joy & sorrow, my choices and adventures flashed before my mind's eye, I reminisced about the people I had met on my long journey, the conversations, the connections, the love and the hate. It all just rushed back to me and I shed a tear as i saw the consequences of 'my choice' unfold itself. In the end, I felt that I had made a difference in my world, I felt that I was Commander John Shepard. Watch the credits till the end :) This game should have probably spent one more year in development but THANK YOU BIOWARE, for all the memories.
  4. Mar 19, 2012
    This game was not as good as I had hoped. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I did not enjoy it as much as the previous 2. Having said that, it was still fun, and it was definitley not sa bad as some people make it out to be.
  5. Mar 21, 2012
    Great game. Stunning story line and incredible graphics. The best of the mass effect series, this game is a must buy! The multiplayer is also great, but the tie to the campaign can be a pain for those without xbox live. Overall great game, competitor for game of the year 2012!
  6. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Blockbuster games" today tend to fall in line with one another leading to an inevitable outcome through predictable methods. Sometimes though, like a rock band at the peak of it's popularity, a game throws a curve ball and challenges the mainstay formula that the system has adopted. The Mass Effect franchise since it's inception has been the poster child for what a game can achieve as an art form: Rich storytelling, vivid environments, atmospheric music, and a gripping examination of the human condition. More than anything else Mass Effect has effected every player, every spectator by giving them the notion of choice; right and wrong...good and evil. With Mass Effect 3 Bioware took this idea and turned it on it's axis. The ending that has cause such an uproar since release is in all respects warranted because everyone knows what it means, but everyone is too upset to admit it. It is the reality that choice is irrelevant. Good and evil is a fallacy. Hope is useless. No matter what decisions are made, no one person can prevent the inevitable. For touching an emotional and philosophical nerve in me that few novels, or movies have, I take my hat off to the creators and writers of the Mass Effect universe. It could not have ended in a more fitting way. Expand
  7. Mar 23, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed the complete trilogy. There has been no game series that has gotten into my head more. As a 40+ year-old married dad, I almost felt guilty with my obsession with this. I played each game multiple times with many of the possible paths that were available. Amazing.

As far as the ending. Honestly there was much to be desired. In retrospect, absolute closure would have been worse. Because of the current ending possibilities, the Mass Effect universe is still vital. There is much to talk about, much to think about.

No matter how many negative scores or reviews that are given on this site, there is this simple truth. This game got under the skin of thousands of people. Not just time and money invested could explain the reaction to the endings. People became Shepard and really connected with the characters and the story. This alone is reason enough for me to give this game a perfect 10.

I will now sit in the darkness and dream of what happened to my three loves, Miranda, Liara and (sigh) Tali. I hope you are all well.
  8. Jun 28, 2012
    I really love the original game,but magazines and online gaming sites were saying things like" no one like the exploration,no one likes the Mako,no one likes the huge Citadel and elevator" rides,what they should have said is none of the newcomers to mass effect the gears of war and Halo fans like these things,I love them although some needed tweaking,then when ME 2 came along Bioware choseI really love the original game,but magazines and online gaming sites were saying things like" no one like the exploration,no one likes the Mako,no one likes the huge Citadel and elevator" rides,what they should have said is none of the newcomers to mass effect the gears of war and Halo fans like these things,I love them although some needed tweaking,then when ME 2 came along Bioware chose to appease these gamers by streamlining this game by getting rid of the ground vehicle,making the area's much smaller,simplifying everything and changing the combat,which I was more than happy with before,but they kept a good if flawed story,likable characters and mostly good dialogue options(although sadly had some auto dialogue) then comes 3 with Multi-player even less exploration,now you no longer visit the planet in side quests now you fire a probe to the surface and bizarrely you've just rescued a load of people,less dialogue option loads of auto dialogue plot holes galore and a crappy ending which they just put a sticking plaster over,so for me this game rates very poor the worst by far out of the 3 there are many more issues I have with it and I certainly won't be wasting my time playing it again unlike the original and to some aspects ME 2 which I have played 20 odd times each,this game is a very poor attempt by a once great company made to appeal to the mass market and not it's original once loyal fans,for me this franchise is finished,but one day I hope all 3 games are re made as they were meant to be and I don't give a stuff what the Halo or COD fans think. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2012
    I certainly agree with some who say the ending to this game is a bit of a let down considering all the time invested into the characters if you've played all three games. That said, the game in itself, is exciting and a thrilling top off to an excellent series. The game play is, at least in my view, challenging and the story is engaging. The potential romances, including the same sex ones,I certainly agree with some who say the ending to this game is a bit of a let down considering all the time invested into the characters if you've played all three games. That said, the game in itself, is exciting and a thrilling top off to an excellent series. The game play is, at least in my view, challenging and the story is engaging. The potential romances, including the same sex ones, are a welcome break to all the danger and drama. It becomes clear that this game aims to tie up loose ends early on. There are a few devastating losses throughout the progression. This really added to the tension as it made me wary of no one being safe. Some glitches make it a little choppy at times but my biggest complaint is how you cannot save in the final chapter ( a little warning would have been nice... the scene isn't the easiest, nor really all that fun to navigate and it seemed to take forever). The game is beautifully crafted and the cutscenes are spectacular. I loved the reemergence of some key characters from the other two games. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    People do not listen to the trolls, I can guarantee they haven't even played this game or any of the Mass Effect games. Mass Effect 3 is an amazing, breathtaking, epic, emotional journey that deserves to be in the list of the greatest games ever made.
  11. Mar 9, 2012
    I started an account just to let you know the the 500+ negative reviews for this game are about 95% fraudulent. They were written by angry basement dwellers who are so mad about the fact that BioWare has the nerve to charge them $10 for DLC on release date. DLC they would have happily shelled out whatever Bioware and EA are asking, if it had been released 3 months after the game it's self.I started an account just to let you know the the 500+ negative reviews for this game are about 95% fraudulent. They were written by angry basement dwellers who are so mad about the fact that BioWare has the nerve to charge them $10 for DLC on release date. DLC they would have happily shelled out whatever Bioware and EA are asking, if it had been released 3 months after the game it's self. People who are saying the dialogue is bad or the controls are sub par or the witting is awful have obviously not played this game AT ALL! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but Mass Effect 3 is better written than 90% of movies released in the last 5 years. I'm willing to bet most of these people haven't even played the game. They're so worked up about their meaningless, 1st world problems (you don't HAVE to buy it. You can wait till it goes on sale in 2-3 months) that they don't realize the only people they're cheating is themselves. Shame. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    This is easily one of the best games of this generation and no amount of trolling will change that. asdassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  13. Mar 9, 2012
    Everyone who is giving this game a very low score has the same, silly issue with this incredible finale; they came into this game with preconceived notions about how they wanted it to end. You're fighting a vastly overwhelming force with little hope from the get go, I personally would have been unhappy if BW introduced some "magic fix" that allowed you to somehow effectively battle everyEveryone who is giving this game a very low score has the same, silly issue with this incredible finale; they came into this game with preconceived notions about how they wanted it to end. You're fighting a vastly overwhelming force with little hope from the get go, I personally would have been unhappy if BW introduced some "magic fix" that allowed you to somehow effectively battle every reaper you come across. They didn't, so lots of people are raging.
    ME3 has the best character development of the series, almost guaranteeing that you develop strong emotional attachments to many of your characters. And yes, it's a very somber mood and many of those emotions are sad; but the fact that they managed to illicit sadness/fury/hopelessness (as opposed to typical, easy emotions for games such as excitement/wonder/achievement) speaks to the incredible writing and storyline.
    Many of your choices don't effect WHAT happens, but all of them change HOW it happens. It's an important distinction. "Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater", should have warned all you raging lunatics, this is a desperate battle from which many won't survive, but that's as it should be.
  14. Mar 20, 2012
    A stunning spectacle of modern entertainment. Not only do you get to wrap up many key plots that have emerged within this fantastic trilogy, but the ending itself is a sight to behold. They forego the trappings of a modern WRPG, sacrificing all past choices, and giving you a hard hitting, lucid ending, instead. I can see more than a little 2001: A Space Odyssey, and more than enough DeusA stunning spectacle of modern entertainment. Not only do you get to wrap up many key plots that have emerged within this fantastic trilogy, but the ending itself is a sight to behold. They forego the trappings of a modern WRPG, sacrificing all past choices, and giving you a hard hitting, lucid ending, instead. I can see more than a little 2001: A Space Odyssey, and more than enough Deus Ex influences, which, overall, help the ending immensely. I wouldn't recommend it above any other.

Hold The Line. Keep ME3 the way it is.
  15. Mar 16, 2012
    Oh, contrasting emotions.... I love Mass Effect, I've sunk huge chunks of my life into it, and now... I feel quite empty. First, the good. Combat is the best it's been all series, with vastly improved level design, weapons -both in terms of feel, customisation and variety. Ai is also much improved and much more aggressive, making for more mobile, frantic skirmishes than in camp-friendlyOh, contrasting emotions.... I love Mass Effect, I've sunk huge chunks of my life into it, and now... I feel quite empty. First, the good. Combat is the best it's been all series, with vastly improved level design, weapons -both in terms of feel, customisation and variety. Ai is also much improved and much more aggressive, making for more mobile, frantic skirmishes than in camp-friendly ME2. Squadmate interaction and banter aboard the Normandy is wonderful and this is where the true spirit of ME is fulfilled and is the game's pinnacle. Now, the bad: It's evident from the opening scene there is much less chance to control what comes out of Shepard's mouth, and whilst some times this makes sense to improve the flow of scenes for the more banal 'Let's get going' stuff, there are far too many instances of 'your' character acting out of it. The lack of any vehicle sections limits variety; there are a lot of awkward animations, lip-syncing is terrible, and the soundtrack lacking Jack Wall is underwhelming.

Still the game does give you some pretty major decisions, and all the while you feel the urgency of trying to unite and save the galaxy building to a poignant, desolate feeling as you leave the Normandy for the final time. And this is where it all goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Mass Effect is a game that has dealt with a lot of major issues and themes, and overriding it all was the ability to choose, As you reach the end, you're given an insultingly idiotic run-down on why this is all happening and asked to choose one of 3 choices, which are baffling and completely at odds with everything you've done and been bought through the 3 games to believe. And end that not only offers no closure, no vision of what became of some of your beloved team-mates, whilst shoe-horning in colossal plot-holes. It essentially renders everything you've strived for and accomplished to irrelevance.

As a culmination to a trilogy that offered the promise of choices carrying over and through 2 whole games, Bioware was always going to fall short of expectations. However for the most part ME3 offers a very fine ending to the series.... that is until you get to the end.
  16. Mar 19, 2012
    all these people giving low scores and what for? it's just as good as the second and slightly better, you wanna score a game low? go check out leisure suit larry
  17. Apr 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first, I was just as disappointed with this game as everyone else. I was thinking "great, so it 's become even more of a third person shooter than before". But then the game really turns it around. One thing I especially like is that it really returns to the Mass Effect 1 style of upgrading weapons and buying new versions. The only thing I don't like about ME2 is that there aren't enough weapons and this completely takes care of the issue. What impressed me the most about this game was the decision making. In the previous two you would make a decision and have it effect the game close to the end. This game has most decisions you make have immediate and possibly catastrophic consequences. The part where you have to decide whether to save the Geth or the Quarians is the most powerful and biggest decision I have ever made in a video game. This part was incredibly powerful for me and made me realize that no matter how commercialized parts of this game are, it is truly a work of art. The emotional impacts this game had on me, coupled with some of the most intense decision making ever really made this game incredible. The ending is powerful and emotive and actually reminds me of the third Matrix in a lot of ways. This game has done things that games have never done for me before, in fact it hardly even seems like a game. It felt like I was really inside Shepard's mind. Probably one of the most powerful, emotive and immersive games I have ever played I must give it a ten EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT PERFECT! Expand
  18. Mar 21, 2012
    I am not going to waste my time explaining why this was another great game in a fantastic series. I simply want to post my rating so Bioware knows not every internet user hates their guts. It is absurd the reaction this game has gotten, as it was nothing short of a masterpiece of gaming. I have enjoyed every second of the 30+ hours of gameplay (up to and including the ending) and II am not going to waste my time explaining why this was another great game in a fantastic series. I simply want to post my rating so Bioware knows not every internet user hates their guts. It is absurd the reaction this game has gotten, as it was nothing short of a masterpiece of gaming. I have enjoyed every second of the 30+ hours of gameplay (up to and including the ending) and I understand a few of the complaints, but a few (possible) plot holes and a little convoluted conclusion does nothing to diminish the fun I had while playing through this great game.

I am disappointed that, ultimately your decisions in the prior three games do not affect the ending much, but the story I experienced up until the ending would have been extremely different had someone else been making decisions through the games. I commend Bioware for yet another amazing game and cannot wait for their next one.
  19. Mar 14, 2012
    (SPOILERS, MAJOR) Seriously, don't listen to all the whiners. Yes, they made some changes, and yes, it is not Mass Effect 1, but then again, why would you want it to be? Overall, it's an amazing game, and I think the main reason it has such a low user score, especially when compared to the critic score, is that all these cry babies just couldn't stand to see their shep get killed off(SPOILERS, MAJOR) Seriously, don't listen to all the whiners. Yes, they made some changes, and yes, it is not Mass Effect 1, but then again, why would you want it to be? Overall, it's an amazing game, and I think the main reason it has such a low user score, especially when compared to the critic score, is that all these cry babies just couldn't stand to see their shep get killed off (unless you get the "special ending.") It was always supposed to be a trilogy people, and I personally think the ending was amazing. Sacrificing yourself so that the universe can survive in peace? What's more heroic than that? The series was always gonna have a bittersweet ending and if you couldn't see it coming you are a failure. The only problem I have with this game is that it seems like many of your dialogue choices have been removed and turned into cut scenes, likely a result of their attempt to "streamline" the game for the mouth breathers who can't finish a game unless it holds their hand all the way through. and yes, some of the "emotional moments" were hamfisted, but some were extremely well done. Also, to everyone crying foul about how greedy ea and bioware have been with this game, I will concede that the day 1 dlc was obnoxious, and that I too could not figure out how to get my ems above 3500 without multiplayer. Pretty annoying, but at the same time, they had the balls to actually kill off their main character and, unless they plan on a ridiculous retcon, they killed their series (at least with shep as the main character.) If they were that greedy, don't you think we'd have gotten some stupidly unrealistic fairly tale ending that everyone seems to want? I know I didn't review the game, but I figure people reading here aren't looking for reviews, they are looking for complaints, and I wanted to tell you that most everyone is probably just sad about the ending and think that sad ending equals bad game, which it does not. 9 or maybe even 10 out of 10 for me. Expand
  20. Apr 10, 2012
    Please, please ignore all the fools that don't know their arse from the elbow. Sure the game starts slow, but, the same as other Mass Effect games, you get captivated and engrossed in the excellently crafted universe that has been sculpted and perfected over the last 6 years. If you love games you will love ME3. If you love ME you will love ME3. If you are a hick you will think otherwise.
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    As a fan of the series, this game has exceeded expectations for a final series. This space opera has finally come to the conclusion that I saw it deserved. Though there are some problems with the game, they are minor and shouldn't impede upon game play at all. From a reviewing standpoint, this game is near the pinnacle of success. Graphics - This game is gorgeous. The scale of the game,As a fan of the series, this game has exceeded expectations for a final series. This space opera has finally come to the conclusion that I saw it deserved. Though there are some problems with the game, they are minor and shouldn't impede upon game play at all. From a reviewing standpoint, this game is near the pinnacle of success. Graphics - This game is gorgeous. The scale of the game, the shading, the expansive backdrops of the environments; all of it is beautiful. The only problem I saw during my 30 or so hour first play through was that some of the lip syncing and looking close enough at some areas, the geometry seems to show. Gameplay - The third person shooter and the role playing have finally meet and had their love child. I will not understand some of my friends saying that the "rpgness" of the game is actually lacking when it has always been there. It is a role playing game in which you are immersed as the Commander Sheperd. The gunplay is still spot on. The unnecessary amount of weapons in the first one and the lack of weapons in the 2nd one have finally mixed into a rich amount of weapons that can change the way you play to your liking. Story - The prologue of the game, for me at least, seemed to drag on a bit longer than it should have. The game goes for around two hours before we are allowed to explore the expansive galaxy. The story picks up in Act 2 which is where the majority of game play is. Now the Mass Effect series has been able to have always an engaging Act 3 but this one truly is spectacular. It feels as if you are fighting a losing and desperate struggle between the Reapers and the rest of the galaxy. I shall say it here, I enjoyed this game thoroughly for all the cameos of characters and such from my paragon play through. Im hoping the Renegade playthrough plays completely differently because of my decisions from mass effect 2, mainly the ending...hint hint. This game delivers what was expected. From a game developing standpoint, it has very few glitches and problems and is very cleanly "cut." My only concern with this game is that it doesnt feel like a third game in the Mass Effect series. It feels like a sequel to the 2nd game. This would be fine because it feels as if it is a design that the developers had thought out. The max level in the first one was 60 if I recall correctly and the max level in the 2nd one was 30; if you import your character from Mass Effect 2, you can potentially start at level 30/60. This seems like reasonable progression but it feels as if the game could potentially have been a Mass Effect 2.5; withholding the story. My final verdict for this game is that as a solo effort it is very well done, but as a ending to a trilogy, it feels incomplete. Though what I say is contradictory, I can't see a better final game to the trilogy, I'm "bummed" it didn't end better for the series. I can't believe this series is over though. Must be nice... 8.75/10 Expand
  22. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this game up until the last moments everything little choice I had made for good or ill was coming full circle. Okay most Still not sure how the Illusive man got past the Omega 4 Relay or recovered any thing but having made friends with everyone in 2 means they're still around and helpful, The only other thing that didn't carry over right is that Udina is now on the council, (I put Anderson there) But Rex is leading the Krogan and that's helpful and Mordin is fighting the Genophage because I talked him into it. And if you load in a ME2 character you keep all of your hard earned levels allowing yo to kick ass right out of the gate. The only problem is like most people have said the ending choices all three of them generally suck reactor fumes. You die in all of them only 2 of them really solve the problem (depending on what you think the right solution is) and if you save the Geth one of them will commit genocide in on the wrong species. it's good game other than that though. Expand
  23. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, I have to say that I am, always have been, and always will be a gigantic fan of the Mass Effect series. I loved Mass Effect 3...right up until the very end. Then it lost me. Don't get me wrong, the first 85-90% of the game were phenomenal. You get to see the repercussions of what you did in the first two games. You have a chance to unite the galaxy under a single banner. Humans, Turians, Asari, Krogan, Salarians, Quarians, and even the Geth will join you in your fight to defeat the reapers. The story telling and narrative were superb! The best in the trilogy bar none. I was on the edge of tears more times than I could count. Not only from sadness, but from joy and happiness as well. My first play through was with a spacer, and it struck me like a hammer when I found out that Shepard's mother was still alive and safe. I'm also an ardent Liara shipper, and their romantic arc was unbelievable.

The gameplay was very similar to ME2 with more mission based combat. What I liked more about this one was the ability to gain experience and level up in the middle of missions. It made it feel more like a traditional role playing game. The leveling experience has also been expanded and made more customizable. Instead of being able to "evolve" a power once, it's now possible to do it three times with each ability.

The weapons have been greatly expanded. This was one of my greatest gripes in ME2. The weapons are also customizable with a limited number of mods that do help you play the way you want to. If you want to snipe, there's a scope option for the assault rifle, smg, and heavy pistol. If you want to take things up close and personal there are melee attachments for both the pistol and shotgun (the shotgun upgrade is a damn bayonet).

The multi-player is pretty fun. I was really skeptical about it to begin with, and I have to say that I really don't like the function that it serves in influencing the single player campaign. It's all co-op which is nice, and still squad based. I don't have a lot to say about it other than it's a moderately pleasurable experience. Now let's deal with the 9 ton whale in the room...the ending. The ending is a giant piece of go se. And if you want an in depth reason why I'm sure other user reviews are willing to tell you why a hundred different ways. I don't believe that the ending is enough to make the game seem like a waste of time and money, it isn't. Yes there are a hundred ways to make it better and as a member of the Retake ME3 movement I'm trying to do that. But I also want to say that this is a great game and the ending shouldn't dissuade anyone from playing it.

If you want to avoid the ending here's what I suggest. When you're on earth and you get blasted by Harbinger turn off the console or exit from the game. Make up your own ending, make up the ending YOU want. At least until BioWare gets their head on straight and release the ending that we've been waiting for! Until then, hold the line, and retake ME3.
  24. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So like many other here on Metacritic, I am a huge fan of this series from the get-go. I found this game to very engrossing and live up to the exceptions we've come to expect in a Mass Effect game. I really did enjoy the over-arching narrative that gives conclusion to many of the characters in the game. I was also pleased with the level system and the weapons upgrade and customization system. They both feel balanced, but flexible at the same time giving the player plenty of room to try out new powers and weapons without a lot of hassle. The graphics are clean and crisp although there is some rendering problems from time to time, but it's so short it's barely noticeable. I was please overall with the game, the story, and the class system, but I should touch on the subject that has polarized every ME fan: the Ending. No spoilers here, but I just want to put on record that I think the execution of the ending is what was a major let down for me, and not the actual ending itself. If you had done the game through 100% you get some interesting extras at the end credits. The ending of this series feels like the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey" both the film and the book. There is this interesting technological philosophical idea that Bioware is attempting to play with at the end that they have been trying to get at for the past few games. Bioware is trying this idea out in an interesting form, but the execution falls flat for me, but this is a little glimpse of hope out there for Shepard's end that may come in the form of more DLC. Aside from the ending of the game, I couldn't have asked for anything more out of this game. Given all of the hype and build-up for the last 2 years this game wasn't going to live up to everyone's exceptions and this wasn't going to be a perfect game by any means. I enjoyed my play-through of the game and it makes me pine to go back and relive all of Shepard's adventures again from the start. For those that have decided to abandon the series entirely just for the last 15 minutes of a 100+ hour series is completely ludicrous.The simple fact that the game ends on a much different note that it has created so much talk is something I find inspiring and exhilarating. I was more interesting in the story or the process than the end. I'll remember my Shepard through all narratives and friendships build up and lost. I get great joy knowing that my Shepard said "I love you" to Liara. i take comfort in knowing that Wrex is leader of the Krogans and is having a child. I also am delightfully surprised to see Tali and Garrus and EDI and Joker together. I am happy with MY STORY of Shepard. We were so focused on the destination, we completely forgot about the journey we had taken to get there. I am happy with the Mass Effect series ending, while the final credits rolled in the late hours of the night. The journey felt complete...that is until so DLC comes out and I start all over again. Expand
  25. Mar 16, 2012
    Most of the negative criticism about this game is comming either from homofobs or the ones who didn't like the ending. Although the storyline and the atmosphere could have been better, the overall impression is great.
  26. Mar 16, 2012
    [SPOILER ALERT]
    [SPOILER ALERT]
    Amazingly well written, musically composed and directed, and the gameplay is incredible. It has much more intensity and depth then 90% of hollywood films. To say the ending is a disappointment is idiotic. The ending has given fans a feeling of emptiness. This suggests the ending has tweaked and emotional nerve on gamers, something which a video game rarely does. I myself as a fan will admit I would have preferred to see Shepard return to Earth and his crew mates and witness the emotional encounters between the characters as a result of galactic salvation, however this sort of a hollywood happy ending would not conclude such a groundbreaking trilogy. A trilogy which has asserted the belief that a video game can reach the same emotional depth any hollywood, or independent, film can achieve. I finish this review by stating this was, too, the greatest video game ever made and the greatest video game series ever created.
  27. Mar 19, 2012
    Having played and experienced all three games in this trilogy I had high expectations for the final installment. My first impression was a bit negative as I had not played the ME3 DLC arrival and therefore did not have any idea what was going on with Shepard and the team when the game started. I would have liked a more graphical background story to get me up to date. However, you instantlyHaving played and experienced all three games in this trilogy I had high expectations for the final installment. My first impression was a bit negative as I had not played the ME3 DLC arrival and therefore did not have any idea what was going on with Shepard and the team when the game started. I would have liked a more graphical background story to get me up to date. However, you instantly get into action against the reapers and from there it just gets better.
    It seems that the developers have listened a lot to their fans from every game and the results are always pros and cons. This game seems to have been focused on making things easier for players as the sidequests are shorter but still enjoyable. There are "fetch-quests" that really don't mean anything as you wander around the citadel and accidentally stumbles on a person that wants some space-part that you happen to have found on some planet somewhere... But the meat lies with the story and the action in this game. Those parts work really great. The combat has been improved as you can move a lot smother on the field and the action just really flows. The story is as always great an engaging. I must say, as having read all the negative remarks to the ending, that I respect the developers decision to make the ending as they did. I had low expectations going in to the ending thanks to all the whining being done by respectfulness fans of the series but I did not at all see what the big deal was. I don't want to spoil anything about the end so I'll just say that the game leaves parts to your imagination but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. I understand how a lot of people were disappointed in the endings but It gives no right to call developers names and demand that they make changes. They have delivered a great series that just keeps impressing on you. I can't even imagine the amount of work they have put into these games. Bioware - I am one of your many fans that thank your for this experience. I've given the series over 100 hours of play and It is one of my best investments ever. I solute you!
  28. Mar 19, 2012
    Now then. I shall start off by saying that 10/10 is not actually my score for this game, however I do believe it deserves more than it's current score (4.9 at this time), so I have given it 10 to help even these user scores out. My score would actually be around a 6, maybe a 7. So what shall I start with? "Don't get me wrong I'm a a fan of the series..."? "I loved the first two but..."?Now then. I shall start off by saying that 10/10 is not actually my score for this game, however I do believe it deserves more than it's current score (4.9 at this time), so I have given it 10 to help even these user scores out. My score would actually be around a 6, maybe a 7. So what shall I start with? "Don't get me wrong I'm a a fan of the series..."? "I loved the first two but..."? "It's (something obscenely negative)"? I could but I would be lying.
    I am a newcomer to this series starting at three. Some would say I'm an fool, however the reason is because I have never paid attention to the series so far, but have finally been attracted to the scenario. Sci-fi, aliens, space travel... marvelous (and frightening) stuff, all in a game. There have, of course, been many games featuring these assets, but Mass Effect 3 makes it all the more tangible. Especially for one with a lack of imagination such as myself. The galaxy map is an especially beautiful aspect of the game to look at, (look at the pretty colours!). Therefore to me, this setting is very compelling, because ultimately it is where I believe humanity would like to be going next. That is just my view but i feel that it is correct, it is certainly where I want to be.
    Now the game itself. It is actually a very simple game, which could work in its favour or it is boring. On the other kidney though, all games can be made simplistic if you try, but I won't. What I will say is this: linearity is quite prevalent. If you are comfortable with games though then this isn't too much of a problem. However for someone who hasn't been with the series it is pretty limited in it's replay value. The graphics look like a game and I'm fine with that, even if their movements are quite robotic. The characters are very appealing, we have aliens not just humans, so they should be. Garrus has been my favourite since I did a bit of background reading before getting this game, such is the charm of this universe. The one thing that has irked and irritated is the galaxy at war feature, which for me (online code and all) consistently says: "system offline". Wildly vexing for my inner achievement trawler. Thus I'm not sure if it makes the end of the game any easier. Since I'm here the contentious issue of the ending... My view is that it was odd. That's it. I didn't hate it, for me it was just odd. (No spoilers here though).
    The multiplayer was very disappointing. I played the demo with the multiplayer and what happened apparently is that I had played (impending random percentage) 70% of the actual multiplayer. On the demo there were two maps and you were fighting Cerberus on bronze, silver or gold difficulty. In the full game, there are perhaps 6 levels with Reapers and Geth joining the fray. It will be very appealing to GOW Horde fans and all alike. Instead for myself, who views the variety of Timesplitters 2 multiplayer modes as more engrossing than the Horde and unlocking aspects this was a great disappointment. Nevertheless, functionally, the multiplayer is just fine, (aside my Galaxy at War being constantly inactive).

There we have it, my semi-indifferent thoughts on this game. As mentioned in my intro, my real score is 7/10, but 10/10 to help in levelling off the unfairly assigned 0/10 reviews.

Bill Jaguar
  29. Mar 22, 2012
    Perfect! I love the game and Mass Effect 1 and 2, it's one of the best games ever vor me!
    Bioware-games are huge and great an Mass Effect 3 is the best of them :-)
  30. Mar 23, 2012
    Please, please don't let the nerd rage influence you. Mass Effect 3 is a 9 or 10 hands down. The ending was a little disappointing, but that certainly doesn't ruin the game at all. Plus Bioware caved to the entitlement issues of its fans and is making a new ending. This game is great all around and wraps up the story wonderfully.
  31. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best games of the Mass Effect series, unfortunately the experience and memory of the poor ending of this game makes that all moot. Expand
  32. Mar 11, 2012
    These negative reviews are very strange. I loved the game! It includes a compelling story and much improved gameplay from the past two games. There is so much to do. I could have done without the need for multiplayer to ready the galaxy for battle and the load times can be annoying, but those are minor. Chill out, haters!
  33. Mar 11, 2012
    This game is amazing. Easily one one the very best games I've ever had the great pleasure of playing.The story is absolutely one of the best,and it's really a shame that people who are giving it bad reviews are mainly doing so because of the day one DLC but instead their missing out on one of the greatest games this generation. Hell, their missing out on one of the greatest games ever madeThis game is amazing. Easily one one the very best games I've ever had the great pleasure of playing.The story is absolutely one of the best,and it's really a shame that people who are giving it bad reviews are mainly doing so because of the day one DLC but instead their missing out on one of the greatest games this generation. Hell, their missing out on one of the greatest games ever made period. If you have reservations cast them aside and play the game for yourself. you don't even need the DLC(which I've played) because it's not relevant to the main story. I can personally guarantee that if you love the old star wars, star trek, and battlestar galacticca this game will absolutely blow you away. Oh, and people a 1 or 2 is for a game that isn't even playable grow up or shut up. Thank you. Expand
  34. Mar 8, 2012
    The hype for this game was so high that many players of the first two games ignorantly conditioned themselves to having such grand expectations that disappointment was inevitable. The result is a "rage review" by hundreds of gamers giving an otherwise great game an unfair review. 0 out of 10 is just ridiculous. Any game where effort was given doesn't deserve such a review. Usually I thinkThe hype for this game was so high that many players of the first two games ignorantly conditioned themselves to having such grand expectations that disappointment was inevitable. The result is a "rage review" by hundreds of gamers giving an otherwise great game an unfair review. 0 out of 10 is just ridiculous. Any game where effort was given doesn't deserve such a review. Usually I think 10 is not achievable, but the combination of the best story I've ever experienced, much improved combat along with the addition of a challenging and enjoyable multiplayer breaks my hesitation in rating a game as perfect. Expand
  35. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is fantastic. All of the detail and work that went into building this story and this universe is incredible. It literally feels like a living, breathing world. On top of that, throw in fantastic third person shooting, rpg elements, and an addictive multiplayer mode, and you have in my opinion, one of the best games created in the last 10 years, maybe ever. You get so much more than 60 dollars worth of game, I would have been willing to pay 100, theres just that much content. This game is a masterpiece and it should be considered as one of the greats for years to come. Expand
  36. Mar 6, 2012
    Played it for 6 hours straight last night, and the time flew by. An immensely enjoyable experience. Everything that made Mass Effect 2 great, but without the annoyances and immensely smoothed and polished up in many areas. Unfortunate that EA released day 1 DLC, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is one of the best games of the year so far. A fitting end to the trilogy.
  37. Mar 9, 2012
    I don't get all the negative user reviews here. Mass Effect 3 has been one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in the past couple years in gaming, and I think Bioware did a magnificent job in tieing up all the loose ends as well as bringing all the decisions, from large to very small, together.

The combat is better, and with the addition of being able to mod your weapons, it has become more in depth. The game is incredibly cinematic, the graphics are great, barring the occasional pop in, and I've yet to run into any game breaking bugs, and in fact have only encountered one bug where some squad mates got stuck on a ladder, but a revert to the last checkpoint fixed that.

The game is certainly unforgiving, in regards to the decisions you made in previous titles and especially the ones you make in this game. Make no mistake, there is no perfect scenario and often times you're choices are one sacrifice, or another (not unlike the Vermire [sp?] situation in ME1). So maybe that's where all the hate is coming from; because the developers made a game that has actual consequence instead of automatic win scenario?
  38. Mar 8, 2012
    WOW. That is the only word capable of summing up my feelings. People who compare this to Call of Duty have a few screws loose. Such a comparison is insufferable, as this game is so far ahead of anything Infinity Ward has ever made that it's unbelievable.
  39. Mar 8, 2012
    Where do I begin..."Never before have so many species come together..." Mass Effect 3 fills all of the hopes, dreams, and imaginations of everyone who started the the series back in 2007. Bioware has done an amazing job by perfecting combat, exploration, and choice. I have never been influenced or touched by game-design to point where virtual characters have an effect on my humanWhere do I begin..."Never before have so many species come together..." Mass Effect 3 fills all of the hopes, dreams, and imaginations of everyone who started the the series back in 2007. Bioware has done an amazing job by perfecting combat, exploration, and choice. I have never been influenced or touched by game-design to point where virtual characters have an effect on my human emotions. Whoever has played Mass Effect 1 & 2 needs no need of reading this...because they have already experienced the same events I have..

N7 Recruits......good luck

-"Shepard Out"....
  40. Mar 8, 2012
    quite possibly the definitive action RPG of this generation, Mass effect 3 is astounding when it comes to visuals, combat, voice acting and especially story. I encountered no bugs or glitches and was glued to the teli for 3 days trying to wrap up this masterpiece and what a glorious ending it was
  41. Apr 22, 2012
    This game will be remembered for a long time for all the polemic that did. But I need to say something to all the fans: "This is a excellent saga, a excellent game and maybe we are not satisfied with the end but you will be agreed with me that you love the characters, the history and all the universe of Mass Effect".
    For me and for too many fans around the world, Mass Effect is one of the
    For me and for too many fans around the world, Mass Effect is one of the better sagas of video games until now. Long live to Commander Shepard.
  42. Mar 11, 2012
    Until the last ten minutes or so, Mass Effect 3 is an easy 10. And as a general rule I never consider a game to be a 10, because there is always room for improvement. But as a capstone for a trilogy, the majority of the game was not only beautiful and moving on it's own merits, it did a truly astonishing job of reaching backward and making almost every choice you made in the first twoUntil the last ten minutes or so, Mass Effect 3 is an easy 10. And as a general rule I never consider a game to be a 10, because there is always room for improvement. But as a capstone for a trilogy, the majority of the game was not only beautiful and moving on it's own merits, it did a truly astonishing job of reaching backward and making almost every choice you made in the first two games feel like it really mattered. But then you reach the aforementioned last ten minutes. Without spoiling anything, I would have to say that in the context of a different game, the ending wouldn't have been terrible, but it wouldn't have been great either. It would be a solid seven. In the context of how well it fits into the rest of the trilogy, in terms of tone and overall philosophy, or in the context of how complete and coherent the presentation is, reasonable minds can disagree on how well it caps the trilogy, but I would have to say that objectively, the score range for the end should be 0-5, certainly no higher, and I lean heavily toward zero. But I am going with a 7 overall, because as astonishingly ill-conceived and poorly implemented as the end is, the other 95% of the game is still truly epic and moving, and I can't bring myself to discount that, no matter how much the atrocious ending makes me feel like I should. Expand
  43. Mar 14, 2012
    having completed this game in about 5 days i found it was a great way to end the trilogy and send it out with a bang. people complain about the three endings but its really a good idea for each sort of possibility is suited for each different types of players. having one ending that is decided for you would be a bad idea as you could play through it 5 times and each time get the samehaving completed this game in about 5 days i found it was a great way to end the trilogy and send it out with a bang. people complain about the three endings but its really a good idea for each sort of possibility is suited for each different types of players. having one ending that is decided for you would be a bad idea as you could play through it 5 times and each time get the same ending because you did the sames things every time.
    it brings back old characters and doesn't kill them off like the second game, it shows all of us what the galaxy has come to on the brink of a galactic war. the day one dlc is a good edition to the overall game and if you don't download it you don't miss much as its only one mission. the multiplayer is a welcome edition but some people might not play it until they have finished the story and seeing as it can give you a better ending this might make people angry, but its still fun to play with some friends and beat on the reapers, geth and cerberus overall this game is a 9 for me and seeing as have played all three of them now believe this is a gaming trilogy for the ages
  44. Mar 11, 2012
    This game is almost perfect the story line the choices the friendships the relationships the cultures all of it is more than I could every hope for this game would be a perfect 10/10 if it weren't for one thing...The ending.
    My advice to anyone who is still playing the game when the citadel open turn off your console because this ending is a cancer to a perfect thing just turn it off and come up with your own ending because chances are it will be better than this steaming pile of #$@&.
  45. Mar 13, 2012
    Why is everyone giving this game terrible scores based on the ending alone? these people really don't deserve to use Metacritic if they're just going to abuse it like children. I honestly thought the game was fantastic throughout, and although i wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, i thought it was a very interesting and unique way to end the series. If that's what they were stillWhy is everyone giving this game terrible scores based on the ending alone? these people really don't deserve to use Metacritic if they're just going to abuse it like children. I honestly thought the game was fantastic throughout, and although i wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, i thought it was a very interesting and unique way to end the series. If that's what they were still planning on doing with this game. that being said, im still not sure which one i like the most out of the series. while the last game was great, this one has so much more life to it. the characters, your squadmates, they feel real to interact with. i remember in the last game, each one would simply stay in their designated areas, not moving, and only talking to you when you engaged in a conversation. now they all do there own thing. they interact with the other characters and there environment even while your not around. they even leave the ship with you when you go to the citidel to explore it for themselves. this also carrys over into combat as well, infact combat is so much more improved than the last game, it makes the last two feel sad in comparison. you can now perform many new maneuvers, and the cover system is greatly improved. the enemies are also much smarter and will now even work out ways to flank you and split your squad up. probably my favorite part about mass effect 3, is the story, obviously. everything is written so well, and is so believable, it makes me wonder how they got the game finnished, even by the date it was released. i mean yes, there are a lot of bugs, but when the game is such a large scale, you come to expect them. although i still wish they would have checked the game more thoroughly. i also keep hearing people complain about the romance options almost as much as the ending which is strange because it really isnt that different from the last 2 titles in the series. but im really not very sure of how its changed, because i didnt actually romance anyone in my first playthrough. it was an accident, somehow. Expand
  46. Mar 14, 2012
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with Mass Effect 3. The story isn't as deep as the other installments but there's still some really great dramatic moments. Multiplayer is also pretty fun but a secondary part of the game.
  47. Mar 10, 2012
    I absolutely love this game, and the trilogy as a whole. It was a fantastic ending to something that I've been enjoying for so many years now, the writing, gameplay, mechanics, graphics and story was top notch. Bringing back many of the elements from ME1 and mixing it together with ME2 made a winning formula gameplay wise. Adding mods to weapons and a bigger rpg system was something that II absolutely love this game, and the trilogy as a whole. It was a fantastic ending to something that I've been enjoying for so many years now, the writing, gameplay, mechanics, graphics and story was top notch. Bringing back many of the elements from ME1 and mixing it together with ME2 made a winning formula gameplay wise. Adding mods to weapons and a bigger rpg system was something that I missed in ME2, so again thanks Bioware for making such an Sci-Fi epic!

Anyway, I finished the game after 29 hours so there is much to it. And don't take good or bad reviews as an dealbreaker for either buying it or not, just try it. It is so worth it :)

NOTE: I just wanted to add that I don't think this is actually the end for the ME universe, since my ending had a big Cliffhanger... So there has to be more to it.
  48. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is truly an awesome game. I've read several reviews here, and this is my own take as well as a response to those reviews. Bioware has said all along that this is the end of Shepard's story. We all knew the Reapers were coming, and from the battles in 1 and 2--especially 1--that a mass force of Reapers were going to be near impossible to defend against. There are many complaints that 'your' Shepard is no longer running the show, but think of what's going on: Shepard is one man. He cannot coordinate a galaxy wide war effort. He is back in the Alliance military, playing his part in that machine. He is not on his own personal quest against the Reapers anymore, he is now a cog in a much bigger machine. There are people wishing for some happy ending--I was hoping for one, secretly, but how could there be? There could be 'better' endings, but I can't see any of them being 'happy'. The game really conveys the sense of desperation and near hopelessness of fighting the Reapers. The mood of the game is solemn, serious, moody. There are some spots that will make you grin, maybe even a chuckle, but Armageddon has arrived. Earth has fallen. The Batarians before that. The other major races to follow. Think back to Mass Effect 1: Sovereign took the entire Acturus Fleet (5th and 3rd Fleets I think) to take down, and that wasn't even a quick battle. They sustained fairly major casualties taking down a single Reaper. How well will the Alliance and other races fair against 100s of them? Maybe 1000s! The game makes a point of even a single reaper being a nearly insurmountable foe. Gameplay: The new 'mobility' they talked about is...well, I don't like it. I would have been happy with the same as in ME2, with the addition of unlimited sprinting and the context jumping and ladder climbing. They definitely took cues from COD and other such games, but it pays off: there is a major war on. Major wars have air strikes, explosions, confusing combat situations, and death all around. That is what war is about. The change in your weapon loadouts I love, it allows the player to decide what kind of weapons to bring along on a mission, allowing the player to decide what kind of weapons vs. powers trade off to make rather than being locked into a rigid weapon set determined by your chosen class. I never did like that in ME1 and 2, Shepard is N7, and he can't use an assault rifle (or whatever) just because he isn't a soldier (or whatever) class? Multiplayer: Hate that it impacts the single player game. I've played the multiplayer and I think it is well done, but if I was interested in MP I'd go buy a game that is more oriented around MP gameplay. The single player is nearly penalized for NOT playing multiplayer, but the single player game can still be 'won' without playing multiplayer, you just might have to go on more side missions to get it done (which isn't a big problem in my book, I'd be doing the side missions anyway). Graphics: I found the graphics just as good as ME2, but darker, grittier. It fits the dark, moody tone of the game. Roleplay: decisions in the previous games do have impact on this one, some more notable than others. I was disappointed in some, surprisingly pleased in others. No game is perfect. Ending: A bitter victory is the result of a bitter war. There isn't a 'feel good' ending that I have found. The ending, like much of the game, is dark and emotionally exhausting, and at times, jaw dropping. Overall: 9/10 mostly because of the multiplayer element impacting the single player game. Expand
  49. Mar 10, 2012
    I haven't even bought this game or even played it yet, but I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a 10 for this game. I'm doing that because a lot of people seem to think its ok to just give it a 0 because they just wanna. So fair game. Maybe I'll make 20 more new accounts just to help it out. Good day all =)
  50. Mar 11, 2012
    This is a Game that every moment i enjoying, one game with action and rpg´s that others want to copy.
    Beautiful envirnoments, Good story, Graphics, talking, and moments that are better that all action games in the last year.
  51. Mar 11, 2012
    It seems somewhat disingenuous to award a 0, or indeed anything below a 6, just because the last 1% of the game wasn't as good as the preceding 99%. Bioware really isn't going to care that you've taken swipes at them on Metacritic, all you've done is make yourself look petty. If you'd voiced your concerns and given a realistic score (a 6 or maybe a 7), I think they'd have more sympathy,It seems somewhat disingenuous to award a 0, or indeed anything below a 6, just because the last 1% of the game wasn't as good as the preceding 99%. Bioware really isn't going to care that you've taken swipes at them on Metacritic, all you've done is make yourself look petty. If you'd voiced your concerns and given a realistic score (a 6 or maybe a 7), I think they'd have more sympathy, but giving 0 just makes you look spiteful.

Anyway.

I enjoyed the game immensely. Good characterisation, rich storytelling, a highly enjoyable experience. In some ways perhaps not matching up to the legacy of its predecessors, in others completely blowing them away.

I agree the possible endings could be more varied, but in essence it's not all that different from the endings of the previous games. In any case it's certainly not work knocking off more than 1 or two (or if you're feeling really harsh 3) points from the total score.

A lack of varied endings, plus a few controller mishaps and less "choice" than its predecessors aside, a perfect game. I'll give it an 8/10, though it's probably closer to 8.5
  52. Mar 11, 2012
    There is something very wrong with the number of negative scores for this game. Having just completed my first play through, and having been a long-time fan of the series, I can assure those of you on the fence about this game that it is spectacular and worth the price of admission. I will not say that those who have (obviously) united against this game (or more likely, against EA andThere is something very wrong with the number of negative scores for this game. Having just completed my first play through, and having been a long-time fan of the series, I can assure those of you on the fence about this game that it is spectacular and worth the price of admission. I will not say that those who have (obviously) united against this game (or more likely, against EA and Bioware) do not have good reason to complain. The fact that Mass Effect 3 was released with day 1 DLC is a disappointment, a nickle and diming tactic, and the game is not without its own small flaws. But when those flaws are placed against a strong gaming world with great action and set-pieces as well as a remarkable emotional payoff, I can only urge the skeptics out there to ignore all the anger and cannon fodder against this game, say to hell with the DLC, and pick this one up. Expand
  53. Mar 12, 2012
    I dont see why its getting all of the stick from everybody, sure if you have done every single paragon thing/ saved everybody throughout the trilogy there could be a different ending for you yes. But even with the other endings you still save the galaxy, all or most life with the cost of yours and many others.... i dont see what the problem is? i found it to be a perfect ending, to aI dont see why its getting all of the stick from everybody, sure if you have done every single paragon thing/ saved everybody throughout the trilogy there could be a different ending for you yes. But even with the other endings you still save the galaxy, all or most life with the cost of yours and many others.... i dont see what the problem is? i found it to be a perfect ending, to a perfect trilogy. Expand
  54. Mar 12, 2012
    I understand a lot of the negative reviews for this game. For many, the endings are unsatisfying, and the lack of character-driven story (at least compared to Mass Effect 2) leaves a bitter taste. But to this reviewer, I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect 3.
    The game does focus less on your squadmates, but it does so because the plot demands it. The focus of this game is a galactic war, not recruiting awesome people and developing them. In fact, many of your squadmates--and even other characters--have already been developed thoroughly, and the fact that BioWare managed to get more in is just a bonus to me.
    The gameplay is smooth, and the weight system is amazing. It allows a player to choose how they want to mix gunplay and powers, and really makes your character feel customized without too much tedium. I feel like they put a lot of time into making the game play very well and pulled it off.
    As for the story--and more specifically the endings--I feel like they did an amazing job integrating characters and choices from all three games. There are so many possibilities for every situation it's pretty amazing they made a game that works well at all. But the story flows well and very rarely does it feel contrived. There are many complaints about the endings, mostly because people found plot holes or disliked the disconnection from the characters, but I believe they work perfectly with the feel of all three games. They are about Shepard's choices, and the fact that sometimes what you've done up to this point, the people you've met, and the alliances you've fostered, don't matter. And all three games are about paradigm shifts, and that really is what this game is about, especially the end.
    A review wouldn't be complete without touching on the multiplayer. Overall it's fantastic and fun. It has a great flow and customizability and the power system makes it feel very unique. I also personally like that it's only cooperative. Their are some balance issues, but BioWare is constantly fixing those, so expect whatever character you play to be fun and powerful yet still give you a challenge.
    Overall ratings:
    Gameplay: 10
    Story: 10
    Multiplayer: 8 (for balance issues)
  55. Mar 14, 2012
    The Best SciFi RPG i ever played!
    Cool Shooter mechanics,
    Awesome story,
    Unforgettable characters,
    The ending is very impressive and epic.
    For me, it's the Game of the Year!
  56. Mar 14, 2012
    People that rate this game low don't understand the meaning and amazing storyline of the mass effect trilogy. I think this game was absolutely gorgeous and an incredible amount of thought and work was put into the story. I cant believe how in depth Bioware went into making such a detailed and complicated work of art. Absolutely beautiful. I really hope this isn't the end to the mass effectPeople that rate this game low don't understand the meaning and amazing storyline of the mass effect trilogy. I think this game was absolutely gorgeous and an incredible amount of thought and work was put into the story. I cant believe how in depth Bioware went into making such a detailed and complicated work of art. Absolutely beautiful. I really hope this isn't the end to the mass effect universe. Expand
  57. Mar 18, 2012
    played the game. finished the game. raged at first, like most of the internet. then, i came across the indoctrination/hallucination theory. result: mind. blown.

i call this a win.
  58. Mar 29, 2012
    The Mass Effect experience is what I live for as a gamer--all the elements are brilliantly coordinated-the characters, the story, the graphics and the game play--and my senses were assailed as they should be: few games have moved me as much ME--Not to be a spoiler but there times when I have been moved to tears when I have to make a frustrating choice between life and death for charactersThe Mass Effect experience is what I live for as a gamer--all the elements are brilliantly coordinated-the characters, the story, the graphics and the game play--and my senses were assailed as they should be: few games have moved me as much ME--Not to be a spoiler but there times when I have been moved to tears when I have to make a frustrating choice between life and death for characters I love so much.... the disparity in the overwhelming raves of the critics and the user negatives is a really a salute to the Bioware team/developers who succeeded in entertaining us so well--we just don't want the game to end without the emotional/story detail we have been given so far--but future gamers of this series should NOT be deprived of this gaming experience because of the negative remarks--enjoy it for yourselves-it is a milestone in the generation of games. Expand
  59. Aug 26, 2012
    Space gay waifu simulator 2012 edition.
  60. Mar 6, 2012
    Brilliant game, haters are gonna hate. The game is a true successor to the series. Just read the professional reviews. Not the nerd rage going on here. You want the day 1 dlc, skip your coffee for a few days.
  61. Mar 11, 2012
    A great sequel, with enhanced gameplay mechanics as well as bringing back aspects of the original that were missed, and a story that does not disappoint.
  62. Mar 13, 2012
    Amazing game filled with many emotional moments. The ending may not have been what I expected but it left an emotional impact on me which few games have done. I consider that an accomplishment.
  63. Mar 13, 2012
    ME3's ending = LOST ending ?!?!

First of all - please disregard those 0's or 1's for user scores. Thats simply dumb and irrelevant. And it doesn't give this game proper credit. Let's hop to the review. I am a ME fan. A big one, I must say. I really enjoyed both ME1 and ME2, even as they were different games. Did I enjoy ME3? Hm... yes, but I am not overwhelmed. The ending CAN be
    ME3's ending = LOST ending ?!?!

The ending CAN be dissapointing, but mostly due to the fact, that it depends on your overall score in SP and MP. Therefore BioWare wasn't completely honest with us. You HAVE to max out the MP experience and max out the SP experience for the best possible ending (with all possible choices).

This is the game's biggest flaw - the ending. No matter how complete it is. It just ... brings the whole experience down. To be honest, I found the ending of my first game a complete atrocity.
    I think the best way to describe would be the Lost series finale. It feels exactly the same. We've been promised miracles, all the answers and we get... if you've seen it, you'll know what to expect.

The rest of the story, on most occasions is proper, but feels written in a hurry. The chance of one of your comrades sacrificing for your cause is almost 90%. And it probably will happen - sooner or later.

There are a lot more technical bug than in both games before, IMHO. The sound glitches ( you see the subtitles, you can't hear the voice), camera glitches or interface problems (for the first time in history I had trouble pressing a button due to the introduction of roll-overs for Shepard mapped to the same button).

The visuals are generally better than before. The obvious anomaly is Ashley Williams. I am sorry, but her facial animations are at moments simply grotesque and I AM NOT ROMANCING that thing ever again (really!). The rest is, luckilly, better than okay.
    The lightning and models have been improved (in majority). Occasional glitches ruin the mood from time to time, but overally it's an enjoyable experience.

The music is very well in the place it should be. Kudos for that.

The MP experience is fun, quick paced and satisfactory. I bet I will spend a few hours enjoying it.

To sum up - for a fan of this universe, the final moments are unworthy of the overall masterpiece that Mass Effect trilogy is. That's suprising, when it's a BioWare game. On the road to the finale a few tear bringing moments are to happen for sure. It's just that when you watch the ending, your eyes are dry and your somewhat bored. And that's the one thing I didn't expect from this game.

Therefore, I can't give it more than a 9. If I didn't play the whole thing, it'd be an 8.
  64. Mar 24, 2012
    I beg everyone to go and watch the indoctrination theory it was nothing short of mind blowing. I understand why people have given this game 0 and 1 for the ending, but the fact is they (most likely) have been playing the game on the most physical and ultimately shallow level. Please watch this video it really made me rethink my previous rating of a 7, and realize what this series wasI beg everyone to go and watch the indoctrination theory it was nothing short of mind blowing. I understand why people have given this game 0 and 1 for the ending, but the fact is they (most likely) have been playing the game on the most physical and ultimately shallow level. Please watch this video it really made me rethink my previous rating of a 7, and realize what this series was really about. It gave it purpose again. I promise you it will make you look at the game in a completely different light. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck Expand
  65. Mar 11, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a very worthy final conclusion to a game franchise that has captivated audiences for years. the improved combat mechanics combined with melee attacks create a smooth fast past system that is challenging yet fun. the story was fair and it allowed for ll loose ends to be tied and relationships concluded, and while the ending was a little unsatisfying it didn't take away fromMass Effect 3 is a very worthy final conclusion to a game franchise that has captivated audiences for years. the improved combat mechanics combined with melee attacks create a smooth fast past system that is challenging yet fun. the story was fair and it allowed for ll loose ends to be tied and relationships concluded, and while the ending was a little unsatisfying it didn't take away from the overall experience. the introduction of multyplayer was a refresher for a Bioware game and though not necessary, was a very good addition to be made. Overall Mass Effect 3 was one of the best games i have played in a long time and a worth while buy. after playing through the game i felt a sense of accomplishment and a bitter sweet sensation knowing that a franchise that i personally have loved has finally come to a conclusion. Expand
  66. Mar 13, 2012
    Just finished the game and I have to say i'm thoroughly content. Both sad it's over and ponderous about the ending. The entire game just felt like a giant pay off for all your choices from the previous games. Most notably the Geth/Quarian war, (if you weren't able to save both then your simply a heartless bastard). I'm going to enjoy talking to people about the choices they'd made and howJust finished the game and I have to say i'm thoroughly content. Both sad it's over and ponderous about the ending. The entire game just felt like a giant pay off for all your choices from the previous games. Most notably the Geth/Quarian war, (if you weren't able to save both then your simply a heartless bastard). I'm going to enjoy talking to people about the choices they'd made and how it'd played out for them. I'm not really sure what people are saying when it comes to all your choices come to naught in the end. 70% of this game is watching your choices play out. Sure eventually the consequences boil down to a score about your fleet, but I by the end all the major plots have been satisfactorily laid to rest. This leads me to conclude that all these negative reviews are being written by whiny, entitled people who are terrible at having realistic expectations. I'm sure there are people out there who could have written a better ending in there heads. But I'm sure that for most all they have is a faint notion and nothing could ever come close to living up to it. Expand
  67. Mar 13, 2012
    Don't listen to all the bad user reviews that are about this game. Yes there are few bad things that prevent it from being 10 out of 10. But it was still an EPIC game. Only bad thing was it was to much FPS and not enough RPG but that's what happens when you try to appeal the masses. A few other thoughts:
    The mulitplayer is completely optional. I played all the way through on single player including side quest and never noticed any side effect of never going online. Be careful when you are doing the main story line. There is one quest that gets ride of a couple non important side quest and one kinda of important side quest with out telling you that this will happen.
  68. Mar 29, 2012
    'm not a big fan of Mass Effect 3's ending. I thought it was convoluted and anticlimactic for anticlimatic's sake. Though a lot of about the ending actually does work. I loved the fade out while I was rushing down to the last destroyer with my brother's in arms. I loved the fade in to Shephard badly injured and slowly walking towards her/his destiny awaiting him/her deep inside of The'm not a big fan of Mass Effect 3's ending. I thought it was convoluted and anticlimactic for anticlimatic's sake. Though a lot of about the ending actually does work. I loved the fade out while I was rushing down to the last destroyer with my brother's in arms. I loved the fade in to Shephard badly injured and slowly walking towards her/his destiny awaiting him/her deep inside of The Citadel. I loved Anderson and Shepard communicating for opposite ends of The Citadel discussing what was going on. The long walk way up into The Illusive Man's secret hideout. It was all very atmospheric and epic and kind of beautiful. I thought the paragon/rendegade prompts were good as well during the "standoff". And I actually liked the twist that the little boy was The Catalyst. But the 3 choices he gives you were indeed pretty lame. And the lack of exposition following said decision was just plain bad. You can't end a game that encompasses over 140 hours of gameplay and millions of decisions made by the player with just 3 crew members walking off of the Normandy and just cut to the credits....EVEN IF you're planning on releasing DLC. There is a lot of room for criticism for that horrible decision made by whoever at Bioware that made it. I can't believe that ending got all the way to the final product. Its actually kind of sad. But, it DID NOT ruin the game or the series for me. Because it wasn't the fact that Shephard was destined to die (or not...we still don't know do we) that actually is kind of good when you think about it. Its life. Sometimes no matter what decisions you make you can't fight your fate and what is going to be is just going to be. Your destiny is something you must embrace. Which is why I chose the middle option and made Shephard sacrifice herself. Yes, HERSELF. Female Shephard is a MILLION TIMES better than male Shephard and I'm a dude. From the voice acting (Jennifer Hale is amazing and the guy voices male Shepard is very boring) to character design she is just so much more fun to play with. Seriously if you haven't played the games thru with Fem Shep you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice as I have found the game way better controlling her. But back to 3, the game is incredible. There are so many jaw-dropping moments and sheer brilliance (if you haven't played thru with the From Ashes DLC you are missing out on what I find to be the best addiction to the game - Javik and his story). The improvements in shooting and offensive strategy are borderline limitless. And I had a remarkable experience playing the game. To think someone can really give this game a 0-5 based off the ENDING ALONE is proposterous. Are you guys really even Mass Effect fans? Or narcissists? Expand
  69. Mar 11, 2012
    Loved absolutely every minute of this game. Extremely well made, great story, and a great end to the Mass Effect Franchise, I wouldn't miss this if I were you. There are a few glitches, but they are nothing to get bogged down about, they are very minor.
  70. Mar 10, 2012
    When I first started Mass Effect 2, I was absolutely blown away. I was until the end of the game, and couldn't wait for Mass Effect 3. However, I don't feel as captivated as before. It seems while most of what made Mass Effect 2 so amazing was kept - the most important aspect of what made Mass Effect stand out, was dumbed down. The dialogue choices are almost non existent, and when thereWhen I first started Mass Effect 2, I was absolutely blown away. I was until the end of the game, and couldn't wait for Mass Effect 3. However, I don't feel as captivated as before. It seems while most of what made Mass Effect 2 so amazing was kept - the most important aspect of what made Mass Effect stand out, was dumbed down. The dialogue choices are almost non existent, and when there are choices for you to make - it's more a "do it", or "do not" do it that really stands out. There isn't a whole lot of branching out within discussions to learn more about a situation. There are however, cinematic s galore. There are multiple times where your watching one and a question is asked - and you look down to see the conversation wheel. But it doesn't appear. As far as RP elements, it's pretty much lost all of them. This feels more like a super sci fi version of Gears of War with weapon customization. It's not a bad game by any means. But it lost a lot of what made Mass Effect special, and so captivating. Expand
  71. Mar 18, 2012
    Great Game. Great Ending. Dont like it? Write a better one. Just because YOU think the end should be a certain way doesn't make it the case. Consider this a life lesson. For the most part, whats going to happen is going to happen. It's all about the journey.
  72. Mar 15, 2012
    All I can say is that Mass Effect 3 is an Epic and Glorious way to end the best Sci-Fi Trilogy I have seen in my life as a gamer!

Bioware did a great job finishing this saga.

Totla Mad!
  73. Mar 11, 2012
    its mass effect its as good as one and two, try it yourself dont waste time on website heros with stupid reviews. graphics good,sounds good, so far not run into any problems.
  74. Mar 10, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played, no other game has ever managed to get emotional responses from me! The story comes full circle in this last instalment and we can truly see the scale of the galactic war. We are treated to some truly neat set-pieces and great characters.
    Many seem to think that this game is somehow worse or more mainstream than the previous Mass Effect games, don't let them fool you, this game is more accessible, but it strikes a nice and simple balance between the hefty RPG elements of Mass Effect 1 (which were sometimes cumbersome) and the severed simplicity of Mass Effect 2 (only upgrade purchases, really?). Mass Effect 3 features a plethora of weapons, upgrades, mods and character abilities that you can use to craft your own Shepard, Truly an amazing end for an incredible series, it is worth every penny and every hour!
  75. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have tried for awhile now to stay out of this, but I just can't take it anymore. In fact, I just created a metacritic account so I could voice my opinion this instant. I am sick and tired of reading reviews that say Mass Effect 3 is disappointing and crap. This game and the entire franchise is absolutely incredible, through and through. You are able to build meaningful emotional connections with a cast of great and interesting characters. While at the same time making impactul decesions that have dire ramifications and participating in awe-inspiring combat scenarios, especially in Mass Effect 3. Other gamers are in an uproar because they feel that they were cheated by the ending. I could not disagree more. Mass Effect has always been the story of Commander Shepard, and that's what it was up until the very end. Ignorant reviewers say that the only difference in the end is "a different color light show." I didn't know that destroying the Reapers was the same as controlling them or combining synthetics and organics. If it is then I must be losing it. I should have seen this coming though. Some people don't understand that it's not always just about the destination, but also the journey. And over the course of the three games, the journey has been so powerful and astounding that creating an ending to this epic trilogy that pleases everyone is nearly impossible. I have never been more emotionally invested in a video game franchise, and I am extremely sad to see the story of MY Commander Shepard come to a close. This game and franchise represents the pinnacle of video game storytelling and emotion, and it is an experience that should be experienced by everyone. Expand
  76. Mar 13, 2012
    Really a great game. Quite some highlights in the story, the game-play ist good, the graphic looks fine. Just the ending is quite disappointing. Bad that doesn't make a game bad. So i can't understand all the low scores.
  77. Mar 20, 2012
    No improvement on Mass Effect 2. Just a re-hash of the last game. The mission system is terrible. You have no idea what stage you are at in the missions or where to go. The side quest are, again, re-hashes of the online multi-player.

Some of the aspects of furthering the story are quite good up to a point. Then the game has the most stupid, uneducated, simplistic, disappointing ending I have ever seen in a game. It takes no account of the lore of the game, makes no sense, would result in everyone being stranded and most of the systems being destroyed along with everyone that you were trying to save, and your choices make no difference to the ending of the game. Even though its an A,B,C ending, they are all pretty much identical!

Bio Ware used to be great, but now they seem to have a knack at ruining their games (look at Dragon Age 2). EA are probably to blame.

The whole game was also very buggy. At one point I had 2 Edi's, Tali died and then came back from the dead in a love seen??? and doors would randomly take an age to open. Sometimes powers and squad commands did not work! To sum up, the entire game felt rushed, was buggy, and had a generic ending that made no sense. Very disappointing.
  78. Jun 19, 2012
    Having played through several times now, I am adjusting my score down. Whilst there are some brilliant parts of the story the ending is a wimper which makes no sense due to poor programming and writing. I don't care if the 'Extended Cut' pieces some of it together - it is poor finishing and Bioware should be ashamed of their sloppiness.
  79. Mar 13, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the final chapter in this thrilling and epic franchise created by Bioware. Let me start off saying this has been a pleasure to play all through all 3 games. Mass effect has gone through changes from 1 to 3 for the better (examples: shooting mechanics, graphics, character management). With movie like productions Bioware did an excellent job from creating relationships withMass Effect 3 is the final chapter in this thrilling and epic franchise created by Bioware. Let me start off saying this has been a pleasure to play all through all 3 games. Mass effect has gone through changes from 1 to 3 for the better (examples: shooting mechanics, graphics, character management). With movie like productions Bioware did an excellent job from creating relationships with all characters involved and the decision you need to make to building a huge universe to explore and navigate through. Mass effect 3 succeeds the expectations by a long shot. With an epic story of a race against time to gather help from all edges of the universe to save Earth and other home worlds before the reapers destroy every living being. Simply put it has the drama and action you crave from the last 2 to keep you happy for a while. This one gets a 9.5/10 from me. Hope we see another franchise like this from Bioware for the next gen consoles. Expand
  80. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is not the terrible and horrendous piece of crap that all these folks on here are trying so hard to make it out to be. Sure, the game has some flaws, but to give it a "ZERO" doesn't prove anything, other than some people know how to exaggerate and hop on a bandwagon. I'm currently about 30hrs into the campaign, and so far the only real tangible problems with the game are someMass Effect 3 is not the terrible and horrendous piece of crap that all these folks on here are trying so hard to make it out to be. Sure, the game has some flaws, but to give it a "ZERO" doesn't prove anything, other than some people know how to exaggerate and hop on a bandwagon. I'm currently about 30hrs into the campaign, and so far the only real tangible problems with the game are some minor technical annoyances. Framerate stutters in the beginning cutscenes, talking heads and some dubious cover mechanics. These are established flaws within the game that can be disruptive to the flow and cohesiveness of the experience. However, even with the weight of these issues, they are not heavy enough to mar the experience to such a strong degree that the game becomes a complete and utter failure. Those who've tried so hard to dismiss the game as a "ZERO" or even a "ONE", have every right to do so, but they also will be lacking in a reasonable and compelling argument to justify it. So far most of the negative user reviews are focused on what they see as a horrible story in the game. Fortunately, a game's story and whether it can be called good or not, is completely subjective. If one doesn't like the story arc in Mass Effect 3, then that's fine. But it isn't really the developers fault is it? Our tastes and standards vary, so we can't really dismiss an entire game as crap, just because we didn't love the story. As long as the writers were inspired, and actually tried to craft a entertaining tale, then they've done all they can do. The rest is just preference and opinion. Unfortunately, it seems clear that the real issue here is the matter of EA's decision to include day1 DLC. This to me, is the real reason for all the bandwagoning backlash. It's just too bad that Bioware is suffering the consequences for their greedy publishers shrewd business tactics. Because all they did was release the third installment to a beloved sci-fi saga. The rest is just white noise. Expand
  81. Mar 10, 2012
    A note to all who hate the ending. It is 15 freaking minutes of horror, out of a 100 hour game (At least). You are all giving it a zero when you probably really never even say the ending for yourself. And the DLC? Who cares, go to the dlc page to rate it bad, not here. All of you dislikers are probably cod players who compulsively dislike.
  82. Mar 12, 2012
    The amount of disinformation in the metacritic user reviews forced me to make an account. Here's the most frequent complains listed on 0/10 reviews, and why they are complete and utter nonsense.

1) Choices matter. Decisions from ME1 and ME2 will effect the course of the game. An asset lost in one of the previous games can effect your War readiness and alter the fate of shepherd and the galaxy as a whole. In the end, the choices effect the entire game, not just the ending. Imagine how different a mission would be if one of your ME2 characters died on the suicide mission. Play the game. Talk to a friend who played the game, I guarantee you'll have different stories.

2) The writing is thoroughly enjoyable. In fact, the character to character dialogue is the best of the series. The plot follows the same Organic versus Synthetic motif that has defined the series. Walking around the Citadel and the Normandy, I found myself awed at the level of detail these writers went to to make a vibrant and active world. Along with Skyrim, ME3 provides a level of immersion that is hard to find anywhere else. The romance, intrigue, and conflicts are still there, waiting to be uncovered.

3) The combat is much better than any point in the series. Powers and other abilities are extremely fun to mix and match, and the weapons are diverse and customizable. The devs did a great job preserving everything that made combat fun in ME2, and added some of the variety that mods and multiple weapons added from ME1. The cover mechanic received some welcome upgrades and the melee attack, while simple, is very satisfying.

4) Some people are actually complaining that the game betrays the lore and events of the previous game. I can't see how anyone can say this with a straight face. The very existence of the reapers always posed a question that hung over the series and was answered in an extremely well crafted way.

5) Day 1 DLC. We all know this is the real reason for all the trolling here. The DLC is just like the Zaeed and Kasumi packs from ME3. You don't need it for the ME experience. In fact, I found the added character to be a little bland. The best parts of the DLC were a few cutscenes. This is how the industry works now, either pay the pittance to play the DLC and argue about it if it disappoints, wait for the GOTY version and get it for free, or ignore it. But don't pretend like a wonderful game is ruined because a game publisher asked you to pay some money for some additional content.
  83. Mar 10, 2012
    I gotta say, this is my favorite Mass Effect so far, except for the last 5 minutes.The ending of this series is so incredibly cheesy and half baked. Honestly this game is a perfect 10 for me, but the ending is horrible. Just have your sibling play the end for you and assume that Sheperd died saving humanity from the reapers, because you will feel so much better about the series if you do.
  84. Mar 11, 2012
    Though I am nowhere into this game yet, I am giving this 100% just to help kill off the negativity that the 'sexual orientation crew' and 'ending' crew have put on this game. I am disgusted with you all.

It's time gamers grew up.
  85. Mar 10, 2012
    I thought I was going to hate this game but in all honesty It's a great game, feels pretty much like me2 but with improved combat although the enemies seem less varied, and story wise everything's decent but it seems like party members have a lot less to say. The endings are retarded monkey garbage but hey at least it's closure(still waiting on shenmue 3 sega). I hate EA and I have noI thought I was going to hate this game but in all honesty It's a great game, feels pretty much like me2 but with improved combat although the enemies seem less varied, and story wise everything's decent but it seems like party members have a lot less to say. The endings are retarded monkey garbage but hey at least it's closure(still waiting on shenmue 3 sega). I hate EA and I have no respect for Bioware as it is now but they made a Game that wasn't nightmarishly terrible which I honestly didn't think was possible after playing DA2 and the tortanic beta. Buy it if you feel like you've come to far to stop. Expand
  86. Mar 9, 2012
    I've been enjoying the game enormously. Will be replaying in the different modes, and seriously tempted to go back to 1 to give the whole trilogy a marathon play-through. Writing is sharp and good as ever, I like the tweaks to combat and the addition of power combos--gives me more options in my play strategy. And enjoying the new enemy types. There is a little added variety in characterI've been enjoying the game enormously. Will be replaying in the different modes, and seriously tempted to go back to 1 to give the whole trilogy a marathon play-through. Writing is sharp and good as ever, I like the tweaks to combat and the addition of power combos--gives me more options in my play strategy. And enjoying the new enemy types. There is a little added variety in character creation, but would have liked to see even more options or have tools for additional customization. Like the increased options for romantic pairings. I play with both fem and male Sheps and like going through the different story lines with different characters. Very pleased that Bioware is willing to add flexibility there and give gamers more choices to explore. Game is beautiful and hope this isn't the end for the Mass Effect universe. So many stories out there! Expand
  87. Mar 9, 2012
    Before playing Mass Effect 3 , i went through the first two installments once more with a completley new character in order to have the "Mass Effect" expirience fresh in my mind and for better or worse i could judge ME 3 better comparing it to the previous games so here are my 2 cents :
    This game confuses the hell out of me in terms of quality , there where plenty of moments where my jaw dropped as the story progressed , and there others that felt out of place , forced upon me (but the bad ones weren't that many in my opinion).While the quality of the story is good , it feels like i've taken more of a backseat in this 3rd game because it is more streamlined (a thing that i do not understand , this was the chance for BW to go all out on decision making since its the last game , and didn't have to worry about the hellish writing that would have entailed into making a 4th installment) .I could go on for some time about the pro's and cons but to make it short : The story is fantastic , the score that accompanies it is marvellous , there are a few plotholes that will annoy fans of the series , don't think will bother those who just want to play this last one.
    The gameplay mechanics are decent , but ME was never supposed to be about the shooting part , they've put in some more rpg elements (not that much really) but its still better then ME2 in that area.
    The graphics are good , definetly not ugly taking into consideration its based on a 7 year old engine.
    The score as i said previously , is fantastic the voice acting is what you would expect from the previous games ( Great) but seems less of it . To be fair , i knew that Bioware had a tough job in front of them in wrapping up this trilogy , they set the bar high with the quality of the previous games and an ever harder job pleasing the fans (myself included) regarding the end of the trilogy . While the game indeed wraps up this fantastic series , and answers many questions it also raised new ones , leaving me longing for more , as such i believe this game should have a place in your collection because it definetly deserves it , but at the same time it does leave you "hanging" .
  88. Mar 13, 2012
    Fantastic game and it's pathetic marking low just because of the ending. You are looking at the game as an overall product. Resistance 3 was a great game but the ending sucked and that didn't have the scale and scope of ME3. This is an impressive achievement thank you Bioware
  89. Mar 10, 2012
    Awesome game. Loved the first two games, and ME3 does not disappoint. Easily a 10 / 10. All of the low scores are shocking. They must not have played the game, or did not play the first two games.
  90. Mar 29, 2012
    BEEN UNABLE TO PLAY FOR OVER 2 WEEKS DUE TO KNOW BUG.EA SUPPORT IS NO HELP AT ALL. BIOWARE JUST KEEPS SAYING NOTHING BUT WE WILL HAVE IT FIXED SOON. WASTE OF MONEY. plus little i did get to play was just a horrible rehash for all those stupid people who love the same thing over and over and over....
  91. Mar 9, 2012
    Best in the series so far. Ignore all the negative reviews, they complain about small things and are generally dumb reviews. this is some amazing storytelling.
  92. Mar 16, 2012
    This game has my vote for game of the year. Great story, characters, and gameplay. The only thing i regret is that this amazing series is over, but I'm glad i came along for the ride
  93. Mar 9, 2012
    Epic is an understatement. I have played through both Mass Effect games and this third and final installment is simply the best out there. The way every choice you've made impacts the storyline, the way the game looks, the perfected combat, the optimized menus, the return of some old characters, even the emotional impact the game makes is phenomenal. Mind that I haven't even mentioned theEpic is an understatement. I have played through both Mass Effect games and this third and final installment is simply the best out there. The way every choice you've made impacts the storyline, the way the game looks, the perfected combat, the optimized menus, the return of some old characters, even the emotional impact the game makes is phenomenal. Mind that I haven't even mentioned the super-fun multiplayer mode yet. When it was announced, I doubted that multiplayer would work in a singleplayer game like Mass Effect, but it is brilliant and addictive. Moreover, it ties into and impacts the storyline of your singleplayer adventure, and it is of the same quality of the singleplayer. Big props to BioWare for pulling this off. The expectations were mile high, and yet they delivered. I'd recommend anyone to buy this game. Every core gamer that takes itself seriously MUST buy this game. Expand
  94. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For starters, I have been a fan of the Mass Effect series since the first game released, I became so involved with Shepard and his crew that I would spend hrs on end replaying and getting perfect endings, the major change in the third title was the idea of multiplayer which helps you in singleplayer with military assets, but I did not do that for i felt it made the game easier.

I like a challenge and Bioware sure as hell gave us one, throughout this game the set pieces of nearly being taken out by huge squads of reapers is at times insane, that final push to the beam to enter the citadel was shockingly brutal, finding out that the illusive man was also right, that was even more shocking, but nothing prepared me for seeing shep sacrifice himself as he remembers joker,anderson and others, yes tears were shed, and i replayed this immense tragic story to it's heartbreaking end again, I wanted so bad to save edi , joker was so happy with her and she died so I felt horrible, and when legion died , i lost it.

yes the masses say this title is bad, but they have never put enough time into this series like the true fans have, we love this series. This was the only way to end the series in my eyes, if they release a new one I would play it but I never would feel as much as I did with shep, and yes I think the child was sheps son or possibly him, I will remember this game series as the best I ever played and hope that the ones bashing it will realize they were wrong.
    mass effect 3 is goty
  95. Mar 9, 2012
    People are honestly being ridiculous with this game, it's bizarre. Each of the Mass Effect games differ from one another in little ways, and this one just happens to be more intense and action oriented. HOWEVER I found that the RPG elements are more effective here than they were in Mass Effect 2. Leveling up is more apparent, and XP gains are clear. So I don't get those complaints. Also,People are honestly being ridiculous with this game, it's bizarre. Each of the Mass Effect games differ from one another in little ways, and this one just happens to be more intense and action oriented. HOWEVER I found that the RPG elements are more effective here than they were in Mass Effect 2. Leveling up is more apparent, and XP gains are clear. So I don't get those complaints. Also, the writing is just fine. Sure, this installment is more action oriented, but there are emotional beats at the right moments, and the dialog is smart and logical for the situation, with some humor put in there too. Voice acting is top notch, as usual. Graphics are more fluid than the past games, and the whole weapon deal is much more varied and fun than before. Amazing set pieces as well. The visuals are pretty stunning at times, just in the composition of everything. Fighting geth husks on Menae as we see the Reapers destroying Garrus' home planet was quite a spectacle. Multiplayer is actually fun and fast paced, surprisingly. As for the romance options, well, I'm pretty sure you have to ask for a gay relationship in some way, so the homophobes have nothing to worry about there, unless they choose the right responses that would trigger it, which would seem interesting to me. Overall, if you've enjoyed the other ME games, then buy this without hesitation, just to experience this compelling universe again. I am disappointed in Metacritic gamers, both with the fake, desperately negative reviews, and with the immature, insatiable gamers who can't accept anything different than slower-paced RPG's. This game may not be perfect, but it's pretty darn great. Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2012
    No es el mejor juego de la saga de echo lo veo como un Mass effect 2/b pero aun asi cerraron la trilogia como yo lo hubiera echo.. no estoy de acuerdo con q los 3 finales sean iguales no tiene sentido... pero no puedo dejar escapar lo epico que fue jugarlo. Vale la pena jugarlo y Re jugarlo!!!! Sigo Esperando Mas DLC's
  97. Mar 11, 2012
    Its astonishing how many trolls and whiny little kids there are on this website crying about stuff that is minor at best. This game is nothing less than the end to the most Epic Space Trilogy of all time. The campaign kept me hooked from the moment the game took off and the story was spectacular. Now I know the nerds and trolls are going to bash the crap out of me for whatever I'm going toIts astonishing how many trolls and whiny little kids there are on this website crying about stuff that is minor at best. This game is nothing less than the end to the most Epic Space Trilogy of all time. The campaign kept me hooked from the moment the game took off and the story was spectacular. Now I know the nerds and trolls are going to bash the crap out of me for whatever I'm going to say or think, but I'm going to tell you the God's honest truth and break down the hate for this game. Firstly The Ending: I personally believe that the ending was fantastic and really left me feeling overwhelmed by my accomplishments and I felt sad for the characters that I grew so fond of in ME2 that died. The game left you with a real sense of drama and fulfillment. Now to address the hate, the most common thing I see written is that the 3 endings are too similar and do not show enough variation. The problem I have with this is these people that say this, I know 100% have either replayed only the last mission 3 times or have data mined the game on PC and watched the cut-scenes. Why do you people not understand that when you spoil the endings like that for yourself you are setting yourself up for supreme disappointment. If you legitimately played through the entire game and didn't skip conversations and really built upon the amazing character backgrounds then you would have loved the ending and really appreciated the way things left off. â Expand
  98. Mar 9, 2012
    In Mass Effect 3, I was loving feeling like I was in control of the fate of the galaxy. I was pumped that due to my decisions, I solved conflicts between warring races, acquiring assets that would help in the ultimate resolution of the game. With every new race that I got on board, I could not wait to see how they would aid in the end. I brought the geth and quarians back together. IIn Mass Effect 3, I was loving feeling like I was in control of the fate of the galaxy. I was pumped that due to my decisions, I solved conflicts between warring races, acquiring assets that would help in the ultimate resolution of the game. With every new race that I got on board, I could not wait to see how they would aid in the end. I brought the geth and quarians back together. I helped the Krogan and Turians fight together. I kept thinking that I could not wait to see all this pay off in the end. But it doesn't. It doesn't matter what you do in the end. Expand
  99. Mar 9, 2012
    Please ignore all of the trolls faking bad reviews, this game is EPIC, I have 120,000 achievement points on the Xbox 360, and this is the BEST game I've ever played, don't miss out.
  100. Mar 9, 2012
    To be perfectly honest, this review board is filled with trolls... Which is really a sad thing, considering this is probably one of the greatest games to come out this generation. Is it perfect? No, but it damn sure is close. Just about every issue that presented with Mass Effect 2 has been addressed:

1. Scanning for Minerals - it has been replaced by a much more entertaining mini-game of sorts (I wont go into specifics since it could be considered spoiler material.)

2. Lack of choices in skill trees - The skill trees now offer way more depth; with 21 choices you can make for each character.

3. Some maneuvering issues - all I have to say is f*#! yeah rolling

4. The lack of involvement of previous characters - This time around the whole gang is back, and it is a nice d=touch for fans of the series

5. Audio discrepancies - I may be the only person noticing this, but weapons finally have a weight to them, and the audio sells them in a incredibly natural way (was just one of those things that bothered me in the previous games)

There are actually a few more, but I feel after the list presented I can make my point: The user reviews of ME2 are sitting around 8.9... and ME3 is such an atrocity that it evidently has a 5.0? Even though all it did was take steps forward. To be perfectly honest, I doubt half of the people who reviewed this game even played it through all of the way (or even played the actual game for that matter). But, I have played it to completion, and it was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had. So, ultimately I am giving this game a 10. Does it deserve it? Not quite, but it sure as hell doesn't deserve a 5.

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.