5.7

1. Jun 28, 2012
    Sometime u gotta love the objectivness of people.You play agame for some hours and u are literaly mind blown till the end.Then u negate everything u played till then.Why?Is there a reason to give 0 or 1 when u have enjoyed 98% of game content?Shows the maturity and objectivity of people on metacritic.Game was awesome and the dlc gave it justice.Some of the people wanted LI reunion andSometime u gotta love the objectivness of people.You play agame for some hours and u are literaly mind blown till the end.Then u negate everything u played till then.Why?Is there a reason to give 0 or 1 when u have enjoyed 98% of game content?Shows the maturity and objectivity of people on metacritic.Game was awesome and the dlc gave it justice.Some of the people wanted LI reunion and happy rainbow ending.Got the second,and for the first part gave which they didnt get gave a 0.They just proven that they played the game for its sex and not the story.Is it a 10?no,it is certainly a 9,a masterpiece of our time Expand
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    The EC just expanded the current endings, while it did make them better or in honesty just made them the endings they should have been on release day it does not address the issues that many people have in that the endings are set in stone and really all your effort in previous games was for nothing. Also if Bioware was going to make a genuine effort to appease fans of the series surelyThe EC just expanded the current endings, while it did make them better or in honesty just made them the endings they should have been on release day it does not address the issues that many people have in that the endings are set in stone and really all your effort in previous games was for nothing. Also if Bioware was going to make a genuine effort to appease fans of the series surely they could have provided a few more endings with the possibility of happier conclusion, It is after all a fantasy/sci fi game and not based on reality.
    I gave 5 out of ten for ME3 purely due to what i felt was the shortness of the game and what i felt were poor endings.
  3. Jul 3, 2012
    Okay... if you hadn't noticed, playing this game, you'll either love it and be annoyed by the people that hate it or love it and hate the game and be annoyed by the people who love it.

One of the major requirements is the experience of the previous two games which means it's not all that great of a stand alone game. The ending is not for everybody, so even if you did play the previous games, there's no guarantee you'll like it. The story is disjointed. There are game aspects that those who played the previous games won't understand because they didn't read the books or they didn't read the comics and even that's not going to mean you're going to like it.

Gameplay is the greatest improvement. There are better games with better controls, but it's obviously the biggest improvement. That said, it lacks gaming systems like minigames, quality side missions and boss battles. It's like it's a game designed by people who wished they were writing a novel instead of making a game.

It's a space RPG with no exploration. It's a bland shooter that doesn't revolutionize anything whose targeting systemyou either like or don't.. It's a "choose your own adventure" with limited choices. It's a space sci fi space opera that fails to live up to the greats.

I was going to give it a 5, then I remembered that you have to download a different ending because the first one was really bad instead of disjointed and contrived. You also have to pay for a downloadable 7th character. To unlock the all the endings, you have to either download the Extended cut or play multiplayer to unlock the endings just on the disc. Some of the plots, you have to play the previous games. They're better, so going back to play another game to play this one seem pointless considering it doesn't matter in terms of resolution. If you do play those games, you end up playing better quality games not restricted by a badly timeline.

Storywise, the resolution is seperate from the rest of the series, which is a shame because the rest of it was pretty darn good. I'd say, save your money. If you haven't played it by now, you'd have a better time playing one of the first 2 games. It'll be in the used game pile soon, anyway.
  4. Aug 14, 2012
    A fantastic game. It increases the stakes on every level and raises the bar for gaming. Taken as a trilogy it's a major achievement and unlikely to be superseded any time soon. When you factor in the different choices and outcomes, and the male / female, hetero / homo, renegade / paragon options, it's obvious that the games places an outstanding amount of flexibility in the player's handsA fantastic game. It increases the stakes on every level and raises the bar for gaming. Taken as a trilogy it's a major achievement and unlikely to be superseded any time soon. When you factor in the different choices and outcomes, and the male / female, hetero / homo, renegade / paragon options, it's obvious that the games places an outstanding amount of flexibility in the player's hands to craft their own experience while still managing to tell a coherent and meaningful narrative that is genuinely moving. There may be specific features of the action, role play, art direction or story that aren't to everyone's taste - it's impossible to please everyone all the time - but to give this game anything less than a very positive review is simply nuts. As for the ending (s), I found it deeply satisfying. Rarely has a game franchise had such an impact on me - Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid are the only equivalents that come readily to mind. Plus a very good multiplayer, add on content and mobile content as well...! To make an original universe that is so ambitious and achieve so much seems genuinely unprecedented and puts gaming at the forefront of creative media. The only equivalent in movies at the moment would be the Nolan Batman films but I would say that even they pale in comparison. Bring on the DLC. Expand
  5. Jan 22, 2013
    First off, i would like to point out that the ending has been talked about to death. So instead of pointing out how it committed story telling suicide (which it did), i`m going to focus on the rest of the game. 1. The Intro. Seriously, WHY would shepard, the renegade badass (in my playthrough) just sit around WAITING for the reapers to arrive for those few months in between ME3 andFirst off, i would like to point out that the ending has been talked about to death. So instead of pointing out how it committed story telling suicide (which it did), i`m going to focus on the rest of the game. 1. The Intro. Seriously, WHY would shepard, the renegade badass (in my playthrough) just sit around WAITING for the reapers to arrive for those few months in between ME3 and arrival? That doesn`t seem very shepard like. And why should i give a sh-- about some random kid?

Verdict: bad writing.

2. Cerberus. So, a rogue terrorist organization goes from having only a hundred and fifty members just a few months ago to being the empire of star wars with almost limitless troops.......

Yeah, sure. tell me another one, casey.

Verdict: bad writing

3. Kai-lang. I have never been so annoyed by an emo prick of a video game character as i was by Kai-lang. As razorfist, my favorite youtube reviewer put it: if for the past decade the illusive man had access to a gravity defying emo space ninja with a katana that slices through mother f---ing planets, and with magic plot device powers that allowed him to track the movement of every sentient being in the galaxy, then why in F--K would he resurrect commander shepard?!

Verdict: bad writing

4. Harbinger. Did harbinger just say screw it and go on a fishing trip when it came time for the invasion? Why was he portrayed as the ultimate badass reaper in ME2 only to be given a rediculous cameo in ME3?

Verdict: bad writing

5. The ''arrival'' of the reapers. Okay, stop me if you`ve heard this one: Why did the reapers cross the void? To get to our galaxy, you gleefully respond. But HOW did they get to our galaxy? That`s right: They couldn`t have. Remember ME1? Remember when we stopped saren from activating the citadel so that the reapers could pour through? Remember the arrival DLC, where we blew up an entire solar system to stop them? So answer me this: if all the posible relays the reapers could have used were destroyed: HOW. IN. FU-- did they get here? Answer: they didn`t. Verdict: laughably bad writing

6. So the quariens go to war whether you pushed them towards it or not in ME2.

And the point of having the option to say: good luck in the war, or: The reapers are coming, i`m going to need every ship i can get was.......?

Verdict: far too heavy an emphasis on the illusion of choice, and not enough emphasis on MEANINGFUL choice.

7. The god d--n kid. I know this has been voiced at least a million times, but i`m going to say it anyway: why should my character, who has seen hundreds of innocent men, women, and children being liquified into a human reaper give even a marginal sh-- about ONE KID? They might as well have had giant flashing letters on my screen that said: FEEL SAD NOW.

Verdict: atrocious writing

And my verdict for the entire game is: Terrible. The most badly written game in the series with the most badly written ending in the history of video game trilogys.

Don`t buy it. Not even if it`s in the bargain bin. EA doesn`t deserve your money or your time.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    I'm not here to rip on ME3 just for the sake of doing so or because its what's cool to do on the internet like so many others.

Basically ME3 is the worst of the series in every way possible compared to the other 2 games because it doesn't build or improve anything. It simply just tries to hurriedly finish the series for the sake of a cash in on the title. 1- There is no sense of

1- There is no sense of exploration. The game as efficiently as possible holds your hand every step the way and has you actually being on the ground doing things the least amount possible. Side missions are carried out by quickly scanning a planet ala ME2 and then firing a probe. That's it. You don't explore, you don't get to check out uncharted worlds simply for the sake of curiosity or anything. Scan, shoot probe, side mission done all without even leaving the galaxy map. This tactic accounts for the majority of side missions. ME1 you could explore the galaxy drive around in that horribly handling buggy and had a sense of discovering things, ME2 you could land on planets and explore doing side missions with some not even firing a single shot like the crashed cruiser balanced on the mountain peak but all of those things are gone in 3. The game just holds your hand and ushers you from mission to mission.

2- You don't get to actually chose anything, everything is pre determined for you. Even if you chose the renegade or paragon path you get the exact same result and no one treats you differently and you get no alternative paths depending on your karma scale which makes it all incredibly pointless and just window dressing for the fact the story is entirely linear and so is your character.

3- The characters are all the same ones, only less compelling. There are a couple new characters but they are highly disposable and not even worth messing with. James for instance is basically just a guy who talks 90% of the time like a generic white guy, 10% of the time he throws out some Mexican phrases like saying "loco" a lot in his generic white guy trying to impersonate a Mexican guy and he looks like he was taken from the show jersey shore. When a old character returns you can see it coming a mile away. For instance you go into a area where the mission briefing talks about geth then you can see 45 minutes before which old character is going to come back. All the characters themselves seem hollow and rushed, they lack the personality that made them endearing in the other games and most are there only long enough to be overly obvious in a very specific mission or they simply show up for 3 minutes of camera time practically winking at the player with a nod and then are gone.

4- The story compared to the others sucks. The other games had side stories, character stories, side missions with their own short stories and so on. ME3 on the other is basically this "Everything is going to be destroyed". That's pretty much it because no matter where you go or what you do its always about the war specifically and nothing else. I also got sick of hearing phrases like "were here to save lives", "were doing this to save lives", "this weapon will save lives", "we need to stick together to save lives", "billions of lives are on the line and were here to save them", etc and after about 8 hours I was sick of hearing about the war and saving lives.

5- The game play was basically just one big shooting gallery and hiding behind chest high walls. Every single fight is basically you hiding behind chest high walls to peak out and fire a few rounds only to hide back behind said wall. It was incredibly boring and has been done to death in dozens of other games. The combat was mindless and mediocre. It felt like they put absolutely no effort into the combat at all and rushed you through it in order to get to the next scene of hearing Sheppard say "saving lives".

6- The ending was atrocious. This is a series that prides itself on story, characters and dialogue. We all spent over 100 bucks playing all 3 games and spent over 100 hours playing all 3 games but bioware seemed to say "This is the end of the trilogy so who cares about the ending". The ending is the most important part of any story of any kind because its the very last thing you leave the person with and its supposed to be a reward, the climax to everything leading up till then, basically the ending is the most important part of any story. But the ending of ME3 was over in just a minute or so despite the dozens of hours of dialogue, cut scenes and story in the rest of the series they got lazy at the end. It gives no satisfaction at all. I can honestly say it is the laziest segment of the series. I did like though they had the balls to do what they did with Sheppard, but the ending still sucks and doesn't make you glad to have finished the series.
  7. Mar 22, 2013
    To start off, I've yet to reach the ending of mass effect 3. I assume I'm getting close, 24 hours in or so. I had an idea a month or so ago to play all three in a row, because I forgot what happened in the first two games. So I replayed through the first, loved it, damn fine game. Replayed the second, also sweet, got a bit bored of the planet scanning after awhile, but besides thatTo start off, I've yet to reach the ending of mass effect 3. I assume I'm getting close, 24 hours in or so. I had an idea a month or so ago to play all three in a row, because I forgot what happened in the first two games. So I replayed through the first, loved it, damn fine game. Replayed the second, also sweet, got a bit bored of the planet scanning after awhile, but besides that highly enjoyed it. And then I started 3. I don't honestly understand how this game got such a high review. The entire system was dumbed down, all mini games removed, almost all exploration removed, no characters to gather, silly dream sequence scenes that always end exactly the same. Canned dialogue, removal of REAL side quests and a new, insanely annoying combat system where every single npc strafes at Mach speed. There's so much wrong with this it's hard for me to find anything fun, new or cool. I have no desire to finish the game, Ashley looks like a man, all of my companions are boring, oh, the one binary puzzle level was sort of neat albeit a tad frustrating. As I said I played each concurrently, the second I finished the first I started the second, same with second to third. My score relies on the fact to me, from my perspective, that this was and is a piss poor representation to an up to this point, awesome franchise, I think it's ea.. Btw, once bio signed with them most of their games just haven't been the same. Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    the developers forgot the most important aspect of their own game - the face that the user creates for his/her Shepard, which cannot be imported. And the face mesh in ME3 looks cartoonish - the game looks like it was developed by a completely different crew that did not bother to give visual continuity to the game.

And if that was not enough - several key characters look unlike anything

And if that was not enough - several key characters look unlike anything in ME1 and ME2, one, Ashley, looks like a transvestite so bad the model is.
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm sorry to say, the game's game play in all other aspects were amazing, but the ending, if we are reviewing based on overall experience completely ruined it for me... I had a ME1 and ME2 import and I did every quest I could and I enjoyed it to holy hell, but the ending was just such a misfire I couldn't even look at this game afterwards. I got early access via a hong kong server so I'veI'm sorry to say, the game's game play in all other aspects were amazing, but the ending, if we are reviewing based on overall experience completely ruined it for me... I had a ME1 and ME2 import and I did every quest I could and I enjoyed it to holy hell, but the ending was just such a misfire I couldn't even look at this game afterwards. I got early access via a hong kong server so I've had the last few days to do this and I simply cannot play anymore, not because it was a bad "game" but because in the end the story it was trying to tell completely collapsed for me. Expand
  10. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a good game, but abandons many of the series's staples about half way through the game. The conversation wheel was which was a staple of the last two game is all but abandoned about half way through the game for more linear conversations. Talking to squad members on the Normandy in between missions is turn into a series of stocked conversation with no way to pick theMass Effect 3 is a good game, but abandons many of the series's staples about half way through the game. The conversation wheel was which was a staple of the last two game is all but abandoned about half way through the game for more linear conversations. Talking to squad members on the Normandy in between missions is turn into a series of stocked conversation with no way to pick the dialog. Another staple that is lost are the Paragon and Renegade points. They are instead replaced with Reputation points which are earned despite the decisions you make. Another minor problems include a less detailed mission journal, which does not tell the how far you have progressed on your missions, but instead just give you a summary of the mission. Changes to the combat system such as weapon selection and modding are a welcome median from the two or three weapons per category in ME2 and the ridiculous over abundance of weapons and mods from ME. The weight vs. power recharge times is great way to make sure players are not over powered with weapons and unlimited fast recharging powers. The new ability to roll away make the actual combat more like Gears of War with powers, which is not a bad thing. The ending(s) does leave something to be desired, mainly an overall explanation of what is happening after you make your final choice. Expand
  11. Mar 7, 2012
    This score is based on the view of the build up to Mass Effect 3. If Mass Effect 3 was a stand alone title, with no prequel or setting up of a sequel, then I'd give it maybe a 5. But this game is utter trash as far as gaming standards are concerned.

First off, the gameplay experience is weak. Is it fun? It's time consuming and better than doing homework, sure, but is it actually fun? Not for me, I am sure plenty of drones will enjoy this game for what it is, but looking beyond it, it's just a 3rd person shooter, with a leveling system, and a plot-holed filled story-line. And here comes the problem and why anytime I reach the point where I can say: This game isn't that bad, I realize that this game has a story and it's insulting my intelligence.

Mass Effect 1 set up this neat little plot/mythology about Reapers and their times in history where they'd come out and wipe everything out. Through the entire game you kind of feared the Reapers, if not, out right terrified of the idea of them. There are tales of how merciless and prompt they were, wiping out civilizations in a matter of moments. They seemed omniscent. Pretty good stuff.

Mass Effect 2, it did nothing for the plot really, but at least it had some fun forever-alone stuff you could do in it. Like continue developing relationships with characters, explore, etc. And the Reapers seemed to be scarcely mentioned.

Now in ME3, the Reapers are finally here, in the hour of twilight. And what do they do? They suck at their job. They come off as inefficient. They seem like machines given AI to wipe out stuff, but in a rather slow and terrible fashion. I won't spoil anything, but yea, the Reapers, for having this reputation of being amazing, are terrible at everything, even dying.

Sure, if you play it as a game, most everyone will like this. If you play it with the mind set that you want to play a video game worth your/my money, and you have an ounce of intelligence, you will find this game disappointing on all levels. Bioware has proven to not care about you, being innovative, or ethics.
  12. Mar 8, 2012
    Here we go again Bioware. In an attempt to appeal to the masses you alienate the base. Brushing aside my problems with character loads, glicthces, game play and lackluster story development, you decide to go the way of political correctness and interject as much Homo mumbo jumbo into it as possible to appeal to a niche audience. Simply ridiculous that the gaming industry (long immune toHere we go again Bioware. In an attempt to appeal to the masses you alienate the base. Brushing aside my problems with character loads, glicthces, game play and lackluster story development, you decide to go the way of political correctness and interject as much Homo mumbo jumbo into it as possible to appeal to a niche audience. Simply ridiculous that the gaming industry (long immune to this type of BS) have finally decided to sell out. This is the last dollar you get from me. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    well im about 15 hours in and so far not so good. there are some technical issues on consoles but i guess that could be overlooked if the game looked a bit nicer, but ya the graphics are not that good especially the face and mouth work,which normally would not be a big deal but ME3 focuses a lot on character interaction and watching npc robot faces all with such similar voices too.ughhh.well im about 15 hours in and so far not so good. there are some technical issues on consoles but i guess that could be overlooked if the game looked a bit nicer, but ya the graphics are not that good especially the face and mouth work,which normally would not be a big deal but ME3 focuses a lot on character interaction and watching npc robot faces all with such similar voices too.ughhh. on pc im sure it will look considerably better but not on consoles.the combat is good and it seems they really focused on that instead of the story.....o the story.....its ok i guess but not anywhere as good as the final mass effect deserves and is incredibly easy....i dont know why game developers are making games with no challenge anymore.....why have a difficulty setting when only a retard would struggle with anything less than hard.....i guess people want an interactive movie more than a real game with challenge. multiplayer is pretty good but nothing we havent seen before in other big games. i keep reading that all the questions left open from the other games would be answered.....but sadly that does not seem to be the case, so far any attempt at this is has been short and dry. i really hope this picks up as i progress right now its pretty disappointing and from what i hear of the different endings (that they suck and rip off the first dues ex game) that disappointment seems like it may continue to the end Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2012
    This was an unfortunate step backward for the franchise, it's lost a large amount of its charm. Now mind you, this isn't as bad as the whole Dragon Age 2 fiasco, but Mass Effect was once a magical experience. That feeling of a fun sci-fi rpg has been cast aside for an action movie pornography that tries too hard to have a great story and in the process became a mediocre B movie. TheThis was an unfortunate step backward for the franchise, it's lost a large amount of its charm. Now mind you, this isn't as bad as the whole Dragon Age 2 fiasco, but Mass Effect was once a magical experience. That feeling of a fun sci-fi rpg has been cast aside for an action movie pornography that tries too hard to have a great story and in the process became a mediocre B movie. The animations do not look like that of a triple A title and its now Gears of War in Space, except with dialogue and romance options. If I wanted to play a visual novel I would Bioware. The game is heavily flawed and one could see why it's being so poorly received, the overly positive reviews are incredibly unsettling and makes me disgusted to see these gamers through away their dignity and integrity to defend a game and company, who do not deserve to be defended. Expand
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    ME3 killed the franchise. The plot is linear and it lacks of depth. Decisions you made in ME1 and ME2 do not influence any story structure of ME3. The only outcome of those decision is the boring "readiness" value. Totally disappointing ending and epilogue. Why the reaper keep the extinction cycle? Most puzzle are not answered in ME3. The Crucible? It's totally a story disaster, whichME3 killed the franchise. The plot is linear and it lacks of depth. Decisions you made in ME1 and ME2 do not influence any story structure of ME3. The only outcome of those decision is the boring "readiness" value. Totally disappointing ending and epilogue. Why the reaper keep the extinction cycle? Most puzzle are not answered in ME3. The Crucible? It's totally a story disaster, which killed the atomsphere of the whole plot. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2012
    Good combat, much more tactical than in previous titles and of course multi-player. And very bad narrative. The main rule of story-writing is obvious - the more the better. It resulted an enormous amount the cutscenes, most with badly written and boring dialogs. The shortcuts in dialog system imply better quality of writing. Unfortunately, Bioware has failed this as there is hardly aGood combat, much more tactical than in previous titles and of course multi-player. And very bad narrative. The main rule of story-writing is obvious - the more the better. It resulted an enormous amount the cutscenes, most with badly written and boring dialogs. The shortcuts in dialog system imply better quality of writing. Unfortunately, Bioware has failed this as there is hardly a handful of cutscenes which are able to make an impression on the player. It more looks like space soap opera, than AAA-movie. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2012
    This game is a DISGRACE to the Mass Effect series and Bioware are a DISGRACE of a developer. They have totally ripped the RPG elements out of this game to make it a FLASHY BANG shooter for the ignorant mainstream and have betrayed their loyal fanbase. The dialogue with squad members all gets the Kasumi/Zaeed treatment which is a DISGRACE to RPG fans. All this series is now is a mediocreThis game is a DISGRACE to the Mass Effect series and Bioware are a DISGRACE of a developer. They have totally ripped the RPG elements out of this game to make it a FLASHY BANG shooter for the ignorant mainstream and have betrayed their loyal fanbase. The dialogue with squad members all gets the Kasumi/Zaeed treatment which is a DISGRACE to RPG fans. All this series is now is a mediocre third person shooter without ANY of the RPG elements that made this series successful. I absolutely hate Bioware now and will be boycotting them from now on. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. The 'professional' critics have been bribed to give this game high scores. IT IS A DISGRACE TO RPG's. Expand
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    So is Bioware even trying anymore. This game really is just a letdown for me. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a ton, but playing this game is really quite depressing. Everything seems just off. All of the animations are terrible, the voice acting is beyond horrendous. (Seriously I was cringing while listening to some parts.) And one of my biggest complaints is the release day DLC. What thatSo is Bioware even trying anymore. This game really is just a letdown for me. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a ton, but playing this game is really quite depressing. Everything seems just off. All of the animations are terrible, the voice acting is beyond horrendous. (Seriously I was cringing while listening to some parts.) And one of my biggest complaints is the release day DLC. What that essentially means is that they have they content out and ready and it could've been on the disk but whatever I'm sure people would love to spend TEN DOLLARS for a new ending.

Please don't waste your money on this game. It's almost as big of a let down as TOR which guess what. Was ruined by Bioware.
  19. Mar 28, 2012
    What a sh**y ending. No chance of a good ending, even if you have make only correct choices over all 3 games. Bioware has lost all his skills. First gameplay and now storytelling. Nothing more is left of a once great development studio.
  20. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget most of the things that made the first game great and the second game decent. Gone is the excellent interaction with your squad (but you can improve it if you spend $200 on a Kinect!). The Tali reveal is just a photo on your desk, not an in-game character graphic showing her face. Instead of going with what made the series great, they're trying to catch the players who love first-person shooter multiplayer games, quick cash grabs with pay-for content on the release date, etc. Hey maybe they'll release some interaction with Tali without her suit if only you spend some extra $$$.

I honestly don't know how Bioware became so disconnected from what has made their games great for the last 15 years. I've purchased and played almost every game that they've published: Baldur's Gate (1 and 2, plus expansions), Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2, and expansions), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age (1 and 2, plus expansions), Mass Effect (1 and 2, plus expansions).

I'm not saying they don't deserve to make money, but can they really be so clueless as to not realize how their longtime fans would react to pay-to-play content available on the release date of the game?! Releasing that content for free would have been the equivalent of free positive advertising, instead of the negativity that it did generate. Unless they remember what made their games great, and realize that making great games, first and foremost, will lead to great sales, I probably won't be playing any more of their games.
  21. Mar 12, 2012
    The ends are shameeee!!!!!!! Why i built my own Sheppard and my own décision during 3 episode, for finally nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I dont say more, its so scandalous, Bioware with EA , its the end of a part of rpg world, now welcome to call of duty rpg , multiplayer, lot of dlc included on dvd , take decision for... nothing, if you want an alternative ending buy the next dlc ending .
  22. Mar 12, 2012
    great game but the last 20 min completely overshadows what good was in this game and as a result i found myself not satisfied with what could of been my fave game ever but i was left disappointing and as a result i will never trust bioware again to deliver on their promises
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    Worst ending ever. Mass Effect has been ruined by this game. Hat's off to Bioware for destroying one of the most emotionally stimulating series of our time.
  24. Mar 8, 2012
    I really like the campaign setting of the world, and first and second part, I took great pleasure. But the third part ... it's a nightmare.
    The second part was good, even if it had some flaws. They were small and inconspicuous. Here they just did catch the eye.
    Shepard. The hero, twice saved the galaxy, put ashore. What the hell? As the Alliance could write off the hero of the galaxy, and perhaps the spectrum at the beach? But okay, the plot error. But the animation is running, oh, I do not want to see ...

That boy, burn him in hell. Yes, he died. It is sad. BUT WHY THEY CURSE OF NIGHTMARES! I am extremely furious when Shepard was walking slowly on the forest. Just do not Mass Effect, and The Path.

An incredible stubbornness of quarians. No matter what the galaxy is almost captured the reapers, WE WREST HOMEWORLD URA-A-AA COMRADES!

And, of course, the ending. It's just terrible. Damn you, writers Bioware! Boy catalyst, oh, that was invented. You have killed the game. You burn in hell.
  25. Mar 8, 2012
    I don't think the game really did anything special to begin with. The space opera story is here yet again with an uninteresting plot and dull characters. I don't see any appeal in saving the galaxy in a poor made game with dialogues that are too dumb and unfunny and with lack of anything interesting going on. It's like watching a crappy movie at 4 a.m. and not giving a s*** about what'sI don't think the game really did anything special to begin with. The space opera story is here yet again with an uninteresting plot and dull characters. I don't see any appeal in saving the galaxy in a poor made game with dialogues that are too dumb and unfunny and with lack of anything interesting going on. It's like watching a crappy movie at 4 a.m. and not giving a s*** about what's going on! Action is subpar and, you know, there is just nothing that could save this crappy game from being a total disaster. Expand
  26. Mar 7, 2012
    Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring,Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring, combat is about the same, hardly any improvements, and explore-able environments have completely disappeared. This game is a giant joke. Personally, I'm pretending that Mass Effect 1 and 2 are true to the series, and 3 never happened. This is what the Crystal Skull movie did to the Indiana Jones series, it raped it. Expand
  27. Apr 1, 2012
    Awesome game with great graphics, fun action and characters. Except for an awful ending that negated or ignored most things Shepard had done in the games.
  28. Apr 5, 2012
    Great game, Wicked action sequences, good story.. But it where this ME really failed was the in the decision making part of the game. It was incredible weak and None of the choices you made really mattered. I wouldnt play it again.
  29. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 could easily have scored a 10, could have been an absolute epic, a poignant storyline in which it felt that you and all the characters within the game mattered and all played their part in shaping the future of the universe. I even thought that a trilogy of movies was possible, however this game is let down by two things, one minor and one major. The minor is the loadingMass Effect 3 could easily have scored a 10, could have been an absolute epic, a poignant storyline in which it felt that you and all the characters within the game mattered and all played their part in shaping the future of the universe. I even thought that a trilogy of movies was possible, however this game is let down by two things, one minor and one major. The minor is the loading times/screens, too many and too often but I could have lived with this as I was so engrossed in gathering my troops for the final battle for earth. The major problems is the ending. It's all over most boards and discussion groups across the net so I'm not going into it in details suffice to say that I felt robbed after playing through three games and hundreds of hours....this is the best that could be developed......what a cop out!!! Expand
  30. Apr 10, 2012
    Excellent Game, comparable to ME2
    Good- Long, like new gameplay(Climbing smarter enemies), story interesting
    Bad - Audio sync is terrible, ok ending, multiplayer with decrease in galactic rating 1% per day
  31. Mar 19, 2012
    When I see all these glowing reviews by game websites giving it nigh perfect scores, its glaringly obvious that their integrity and objectivity is compromised. In fact its almost comical how much the websites try and cover for its flaws. My favorite was one where they condemned bioware changing the endings because "oh its art you'll ruin it by changing the ending." I like to think that ifWhen I see all these glowing reviews by game websites giving it nigh perfect scores, its glaringly obvious that their integrity and objectivity is compromised. In fact its almost comical how much the websites try and cover for its flaws. My favorite was one where they condemned bioware changing the endings because "oh its art you'll ruin it by changing the ending." I like to think that if somehow a 6 year old drew a big turd on the Mona Lisa, the museum would do everything it could to restore the painting by TAKING OUT THE BIG TURD ON IT. What they are really praising isn't the game it is the amount of money they received in advertising from the game's publisher. Mass Effect 3's ending (because its really only one) is a slap in the face, a total disgrace to the brand. Whoever the lead writer was for the ending, and whoever gave the okay for that crap needs to be fired. Furthermore I've never encountered an ending that made me hope for a cliched "It was all a dream" sequence as much as this one. This ending is so poorly put together it is on par with the likes of Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, wer're talking total plot and lore breakdown. The final offense was the after credit sequence which just adds insult to injury. The only person that could of made a poorer ending was George Lucas. Expand
  32. Mar 19, 2012
    This should have been the crown jewel in the ME trilogy, 90% of the game play was great, but the ending stinks on ice. I also think that Miranda should have had a greater role in the game, been a member on the crew. I find the idea of her and Ash sharing a room to be comic gold. Bioware needs to improve the ending and give us what was promised, an ending where our choices make an impact.This should have been the crown jewel in the ME trilogy, 90% of the game play was great, but the ending stinks on ice. I also think that Miranda should have had a greater role in the game, been a member on the crew. I find the idea of her and Ash sharing a room to be comic gold. Bioware needs to improve the ending and give us what was promised, an ending where our choices make an impact. Not one where everything essentually blows up and nothing makes sense. This also needs to be a free DLC, I paid for the whole game, I have no objections to paying for extras, thats why I bought the CE, but to pay extra for the 'true' ending would add insult to injury Expand
  33. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the original mass effect and mass effect 2, I must've played through both at 6 times making different choices because I wanted to see how they played out in ME3. For the first 98% of the game it was great, clearly oriented towards previous mass effect fans, but great nonetheless. And then I saw the ending. We were promised multiple endings, we got the same ending with a different color explosion no matter what. We were promised that our previous choices would change how everything played out, and yet no choice we made is in the least bit relevant in the last 20 minutes or the final choice. We were promised that it would end like Lost 'with more questions than answers', and yet Shepard apparently commits space genocide because of the most flimsy excuse ever and with big enough plot holes to drive an aircraft carrier through. Furthermore there is no indication at all of how any other character or race fared after you destroy the very fabric of galatic community, so cross any kind of closure off the list as well. Apparently this is due to the writer thinking the ending needs "Lots of Speculation" but he's the one who told us it won't end with more questions than answers. If I wanted to speculate I'd never of bought the game, that's what my imagination is for. Bioware lied to us through their statements and that's just not acceptable. Furthermore since nothing I did in any of the previous games matters once I get to the end of ME3 they've retroactively ruined any replay value of not only ME3 but ME and ME2 as well. How could I possibly care about any choices in those games now when I know for a fact it's all irrelevant to how it all plays out? I'd also like to state I didn't need an ending where shepard lives happily ever after (though I do challenge the concept that a hero dying is somehow better writing), what I wanted was an ending that A) made logical sense B) reflected the decisions I'd made in some way C) If shepard had to die at least make him die for something good, not dying to kick off an era of starvation and unrest. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with DA2 Bioware, I gave you the benefit of the doubt with the day 1 DLC character, but this is the last straw. Unless they fix this I can't recommend this game to anyone, play ME and ME2 if you want, but since the way it all plays out is based on "Everyone like lots of speculation" you're better off imagining the end up yourself and saving the $60, it'll almost without a doubt still hold up better than the real ending. Expand
  34. Mar 26, 2012
    This game was amazing and don't let anyone talk you out of playing it because they hate EA. Honestly it's amazingly good. The entire game is filled with endings to all the major plot points maintained throughout the story. Big emotional events with sacrifice being a key theme happen regularly. There is literally an ending for every plot point in the series. So the complaint of the actualThis game was amazing and don't let anyone talk you out of playing it because they hate EA. Honestly it's amazingly good. The entire game is filled with endings to all the major plot points maintained throughout the story. Big emotional events with sacrifice being a key theme happen regularly. There is literally an ending for every plot point in the series. So the complaint of the actual ending being bad, is based on people not realizing that fact. Those same people complaining about the lack of ending are the type of people who rush through the game and skip dialogue. You know who I'm talking about, we all know them. TL:DR; Just play it, ignore these people pretending it's the worst thing ever. Expand
  35. Mar 28, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the best game ive ever played. it has a great story, good graphics and a excellent soundtrack. i was a little disappointed with the ending but other than that the game was amazingly good
  36. Apr 2, 2012
    Great ending, Bioware. Stunning. I dont understand how people can say all three are the same: back-to-zero cave dwelling; self-destroying power-grab; or peaceable melding of flesh and machine â
  37. Mar 6, 2012
    Third Person Shooter: this is what Mass Effect 3 is. Do you remember Dragon Age 2? Déjà vu.
    Do whatever you want (rent, buy) but don´t expect a good game like ME2 or a masterpiece like ME.
  38. Mar 7, 2012
    Make no mistake, ME3 a good game and finale to one of the monumental video game series of this generation. Apart from the some Michael Bay'ed ultra bombasta-fest material that will make anyone with a monikom of taste and discretion want to retch (think ending of ME2 10-fold), this game hits hard on almost every level. What I don't abide is EA's approach to effecitively force gamers toMake no mistake, ME3 a good game and finale to one of the monumental video game series of this generation. Apart from the some Michael Bay'ed ultra bombasta-fest material that will make anyone with a monikom of taste and discretion want to retch (think ending of ME2 10-fold), this game hits hard on almost every level. What I don't abide is EA's approach to effecitively force gamers to purchase add-ons to experience the complete story -- a god awful milk-them-for-all-we-can strategy to compartmentalize and monetize what should be a cohesive and inclusive package. If you buy this game, know that you are in for a penny, in for a pound and are essentially voting for this sort of corporate malarky to continue. Expand
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware has done it again. The mediocrity and senselessness of the series has been revamped in order to attract the CoD audience. In this they probably succeeded. Unfortunately the graphics area diamond dozen. It is a doggy dog world when the reapers win at the end, leading to a crippling defeat of your entire crew. Scattered across the universe or committing suicide, Shepard has noBioware has done it again. The mediocrity and senselessness of the series has been revamped in order to attract the CoD audience. In this they probably succeeded. Unfortunately the graphics area diamond dozen. It is a doggy dog world when the reapers win at the end, leading to a crippling defeat of your entire crew. Scattered across the universe or committing suicide, Shepard has no choice but to do the best he can and end the game before Bioware tries to create another sequel. He commits shamefur Dispray by not doing much in the game and instead focusing on the tacked on multi-player portion and the tablet applications sold separate.

Overall a fantastic way to waste some time and money. If you are one gamers who use Facebook, Reddit, 9gag, Something Awful, or Twitter, get this game. You will not regret it.
  40. Mar 7, 2012
    Total rip off. Game crashes and wont load saves. Multiplayer is bugged and unbalanced. Every thing looks like PS2. Its like a mining simulator but less interesting.
  41. Mar 7, 2012
    While the shooting mechanics and gameplay are solid if a bit uninspired, the major selling point for this game, namely the freedom of choice associated with this title, have been stripped down by a considerable degree in comparison with the first two titles. The RPG elements (such as looting, exploration, ect) have been reduced to clicking the left trigger button and launching a pod, ifWhile the shooting mechanics and gameplay are solid if a bit uninspired, the major selling point for this game, namely the freedom of choice associated with this title, have been stripped down by a considerable degree in comparison with the first two titles. The RPG elements (such as looting, exploration, ect) have been reduced to clicking the left trigger button and launching a pod, if you're lucky enough to find anything (at least it beats scanning the planets...that really sucked). Contrary to the opinions of other reviewers, I thought the plethora of unhappy endings for this game were appropriate (after all, the Reapers are supposed to be a serious threat to existence, kind of like Hitler was to the rest of the World); however, some of the plotholes in the series make the storyline intolerable at places. Did you destroy the Rachni Queen in Mass Effect? Well, regardless of your decision in the first game, you get to look forward to seeing her again. This is the only plothole I have verified, but based on the lividness of other reviewers I have no doubt that more of them await me in a second playthrough.
    If plotholes and a lack of the RPG experience was not enough, I have learned now that in order to increase my "galactic readiness" level in the single player campaign, I must play the "Galaxy At War" multiplayer. Now, I'm not against multiplayer games or the multiplayer experience, but I bought this game with the (I believe reasonable) expectation that I would be able to completely control my virtual galaxy's fate (at least to the degree of control that my virtual Shepard could exert) without having to go through a (usually repetitive if not sometimes entertaining) multiplayer platform to achieve the results. Perhaps the Call of Duty franchise could have benefitted from this type of multiplayer-to-singleplayer tie-in, but a franchise that has grounded itself in a rewarding single player experience making a move like this is beyond risky from a business perspective, and IMO a downright disappointment. Perhaps the biggest flaw of this game is the choice of squadmates. I understand limiting the number of them to facilitate a deeper connections with the NPCs through more detailed dialogue, but with a series that has introduced me to such an overwhelming number of interesting characters already, why would I want to parade about the galaxy with Ronnie Coleman? Seriously, James Vega is easily one of the stupidest, flattest, and stereotypical characters I have ever had the displeasure to interact with virtually, and it was a very bad decision on Bioware's part to introduce him in the series when any, and I mean any, of the other characters I had previously been exposed to could have filled his spot on that limited roster. Combine those with two new "character introductions", and now my ship in this galaxy has been filled with quite a displeasing number of people that I would rather throw out the airlock than interact with on a deep, meaningful level. So I've said a lot of negative crap about this game and yet I am still giving it a five. Despite these flaws, which have pretty much ruined the experience for me, I understand that I am the only human being here with my very specific tastes and expectations, and that while some other hardcore fans of this series may be able to relate to my opinions about the ending to this trilogy, EA's sickening influence over this franchise has successfully introduced it to a large number of very different gamers. If you like contrived, mindless shooting like what you see in certain James Cameron movies and in too many games being rushed into production these days, then please go ahead and purchase this game; you will certainly not be disappointed in what this game has to offer. And while you're at it, buy the day-one DLC as well, which is an embarrassing stain on the gaming industry as a whole that will likely lead me to pirating one in every six games I buy, just to level the score for raping my wallet. But if you are like me, and you are a huge fan of the first game in this series, and at least a loyal fan despite watching EA's influence mar the quality of the second game in this series, then I would highly recommend you wait until this game is in the twenty-dollar bin at your local gaming store before you buy it because this game will be one disappointment after another from start to finish. Or better yet, don't buy it at all and let Bioware know that we, as fans of their effort on the first game in this series, will not buy any more of the garbage from the money-grubbing scum that like to call themselves Electronic Arts, and that includes Bioware games if they choose to remain associated with them. It really is a shame that a franchise with as much potential as this one was ultimately destroyed by greedy idiots trying to appeal to a larger audience despite the franchise's financial and critical success from jump street...
  42. Mar 12, 2012
    This was by far the best mass effect experience until the final mission, during the whole playthrought it really was awesome but the end was a big let down, anyways, still a great game!
  43. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is near perfection to me. Gameplay is fantastic, the set pieces beautiful, even the auto-dialogue isn't as bad as I thought. But then you get to the ending and... what the heck were they thinking? Now, don't get me wrong: the endings aren't THAT bad. The problem lies with the lack of closure that comes right after 'em. Is our happy ending really a 2 second clip of Shepard gasping in the midst of rubble and the Normandy crew gazing wistfully at a new horizon? There simply should be more. I need to see Shepard get up. I need to see the Normandy crew on Earth, re-uniting with their Commander. But we don't. I suppose this "happy ending" can imply that all these things are happening but a good story shouldn't end with blanks that need your imagination to fill in. If it weren't for these endings, I would give this game a 9. It would have knocked ME1 right of its throne as my number 1 game. Unfortunately, BioWare decided to half-ass the ending of an RPG trilogy. It shouldn't end with more questions! I dislike the lack of closure so much that I'm starting to have doubts if I can ever return to ME1 & 2. I wish, I wish... an extra cut scene or two. Expand
  44. Mar 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 takes the relationships and choices you've made through the series and wraps them up in an emotional and awesome experience. I wanted to hate this game, just like most of the people here, but it just did such a fantastic job of making me feel real emotions for the choices I made and the characters I've grown to love since the series birth. The story arcs within the game areMass Effect 3 takes the relationships and choices you've made through the series and wraps them up in an emotional and awesome experience. I wanted to hate this game, just like most of the people here, but it just did such a fantastic job of making me feel real emotions for the choices I made and the characters I've grown to love since the series birth. The story arcs within the game are fantastic on their own.

As someone who hates the second game, I can say without hesitation that Mass Effect 3 makes a great close to the series, even if only for the emotional reunions and choices. If your a fan of the series, and have grown to care for its cast of characters at all, this game will invoke emotions that few others can.
  45. Mar 7, 2012
    Meh, boring as always. Story and character development are fine and necessary, but Mass Effect tends to spend too much time on its hackneyed story at the expense of being enjoyable to play.
  46. Mar 11, 2012
    I literally just finished the game a few minutes ago, and I have to say, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Bioware did a fantastic job of neatly wrapping up the Mass Effect universe, plain and simple. Anyone that thinks otherwise, while entitled to their opinion entirely, isn't taking into account the scale of the actions in the game. I won't spoil anything, but almostI literally just finished the game a few minutes ago, and I have to say, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Bioware did a fantastic job of neatly wrapping up the Mass Effect universe, plain and simple. Anyone that thinks otherwise, while entitled to their opinion entirely, isn't taking into account the scale of the actions in the game. I won't spoil anything, but almost every major story mission has huge consequences that already alter the game world tremendously, and the ending is simply more extreme. The ending now brings me to my next point. Unlike popular belief that the choices you made in the earlier games do not have any impact, contrary to a statement by Bioware, they really do. There are subtle occurrences that can and will alter the game's multiple endings drastically.
    Now that the controversy around that has been dealt with let me get on with the game. The game is spectacular! The gameplay is nearly identical to Mass Effect 2, but nothings wrong with that, because it works. The combat is fluid, with a slightly tactical edge to it, and even on Normal difficulty, will force you to think, and solve through each combat situation because it is quite challenging compared to most games' normal difficulty. There are several more weapons added into the game, improving on that part of the second game, and even adds simplistic modifications to them to allow for increased stats as you see fit. Outside of the combat, Mass Effect still is heavy story based game, and the story is fantastic, epic, impacting, and fills the player with a sense of desperation, and dread (a rare accomplishment in most games). The multiplayer is some of the best I've seen in a long time, being far more enjoyable, and fun then anything else in a long time, and I mean who hasn't wanted to play in the Mass Effect universe as Turian, or Salarian, or Quarian, or Krogan?
    There are really only a few things that can be said to harm the games rating. At times, the frame rate will get a bit choppy, but thankfully never have I experienced frame rate issues while in combat, and on one occasion the animation for jumping through a Mass Relay played when it should have loaded the next cluster of planets in a system. Aside from these minor issues, there is also downloadable content that can be bought on launch day that contains an overpowered character, and an overpowered weapon. To truly experience the full game, this content is necessary, and its unfortunate to see Bioware forced to do this because of their publisher, EA.
    The game, even with these flaws accounted for, is still nearly perfect. It's clear that Bioware was aiming to make a perfect 10/10 game, but unfortunately due to EA, and the minor graphical issues, the game looks perfect, sounds perfect, plays perfect, and feels perfect. I wish I could give the game a perfect rating of 10/10 but because of its flaws I have to give it the one less regardless of how minor they feel. Bioware has done an outstanding job with Mass Effect 3. I'm proud to call myself a citizen of Edmonton, Bioware's headquarters in Alberta, Canada. A fantastic way to conclude the trilogy.
  47. Mar 7, 2012
    this is simply the best gaming trilogy out there. maybe it doesn't have the best gameplay in the world but it never claimed to. it said it was improving and i believe it has. i hope there are more games from this series set as a sequel maybe hundreds or thousands of years after because i cba with a sequel =]
  48. Mar 12, 2012
    Honestly, Bioware cut corners on this game, and what could have been a hit with both critics (who are clearly paid for by major developers) AND fans, turned into a minor black eye on what is otherwise an excellent trilogy. This IS a good game, but it is flawed when it didn't have to be. A few more months and Bioware could've spent the time developing three alternate endings, as opposedHonestly, Bioware cut corners on this game, and what could have been a hit with both critics (who are clearly paid for by major developers) AND fans, turned into a minor black eye on what is otherwise an excellent trilogy. This IS a good game, but it is flawed when it didn't have to be. A few more months and Bioware could've spent the time developing three alternate endings, as opposed to copy and pasted versions of the same ending that completely eradicated any feeling of your decisions up to that point feeling like they mattered worth nothing. In addition to that, they also could have formulated answers for the clear plot holes in the game. (SPOILER ALERT!!: Who is the being on the Citadel who created the Reapers? What made them come to that decision? Why would the Normandy be in FTL Travel when clearly, they were orbiting Earth assisting the crew?) They also could have worked out to numerous kinks in the cover system, such as popping out of cover when you change weapons, or not returning to cover when popping out to fire.) Other issues include glitches that freeze your game or cause characters to disappear during talking scenes. I believe there was definitely a money grab mentality here. I point to a multiplayer that has very little depth in light of other XBL Shooters, but is a necessity to play if you want your galactic fleet to be at full strength. By forcing that on players, it assures that those who bought the game used will have to buy a pass to play the online Multi. Also, the entire "From Ashes" DLC could have been integrated into the game itself. In the end, there are many flaws with this game. However, none of them stop the game from being fantastic up until the ending. And if it helps: If you haven't played this game to the end? Take my advice: ONLY CHOOSE ONE ENDING AND DO NOT PLAY THE OTHERS. It will ruin it the experience. Expand
  49. Mar 12, 2012
    This is a masterpiece of a video game. All of you people who are freaking about this game, are the same ones who freaked about Elder Scrolls and such... These are amazing games, that take you on amazing journeys. I don't know what you want from games? If you can't enjoy Mass Effect 3, then you seriously need to analyze if you are just too jaded to be playing video games at all. This gameThis is a masterpiece of a video game. All of you people who are freaking about this game, are the same ones who freaked about Elder Scrolls and such... These are amazing games, that take you on amazing journeys. I don't know what you want from games? If you can't enjoy Mass Effect 3, then you seriously need to analyze if you are just too jaded to be playing video games at all. This game does not deserve a 1 or a zero and for anyone to give it such a designation just shows they nothing about games. You gamers are giving us all bad names, and it must stop. Is the game perfect? No. Is it the best game ever? Probably not. Is it a very good game? Yes, as someone who has been playing games since pong, yes, it is a good game, and it is like nothing else on the market. Expand
  50. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I LOVED me1 and me2. Me3 was EA caring solely about money. Day 0 DLC, Online pass, horrendous endings with no effort. A congrats you can pay more to continue. Awful, appalling. Save yourself, skip it, if I didn't get it through Gamefly I would make this the first Xbox game in my 7 years, that I would return. Shame on you, Expand
  51. Mar 20, 2012
    I have been a huge fan of the entire Mass Effect trilogy. Most of ME3 carries on the trend, allowing the player to continue identifying with Commander Shepard...until the ending. Unfortunately, all decisions, choices, actions, and events leading up to the finale have no impact on the ultimate end. In addition, though Bioware specifically stated there would be "wildly different endings" andI have been a huge fan of the entire Mass Effect trilogy. Most of ME3 carries on the trend, allowing the player to continue identifying with Commander Shepard...until the ending. Unfortunately, all decisions, choices, actions, and events leading up to the finale have no impact on the ultimate end. In addition, though Bioware specifically stated there would be "wildly different endings" and that the multiplayer would be completely non-obligatory, those statements are false. The multiplayer is essential to gain significant war assets required for the "best" (same ending, slightly different final scene), and the "wildly different endings" is one ending with three different colored explosions that all do the same exact thing with the same exact result.

#RetakeMassEffect

Hold the Line.
  52. Mar 18, 2012
    This is 50% cutscene (interactive movie) and 50% clunky shooting. The shooter controls are poor - cover, run, jump, strafe etc are all one and the same button. This makes battles frustrating - you die simply because you crouch when you wanted to run away/ can't quickly un-stick yourself from cover if you want to leap over a barrier. The game uses non-stop, unskippable cinematics to giveThis is 50% cutscene (interactive movie) and 50% clunky shooting. The shooter controls are poor - cover, run, jump, strafe etc are all one and the same button. This makes battles frustrating - you die simply because you crouch when you wanted to run away/ can't quickly un-stick yourself from cover if you want to leap over a barrier. The game uses non-stop, unskippable cinematics to give the illusion of immersion. Plot holes the size of Jupiter (if you played the first 2 games). You'd struggle to call this an RPG - no real choices that influence the game - everyone gets 99.99% the same content and dialog. All choices in previous games result in just small cameos or one line of extra(or less) dialog. The quest journal is useless. Zero replay value due to depressing, pointless ending that provide no answers, the game badly needs a wrap up or epilogue. Expand
  53. Nov 13, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is probably the best game in the series and deserves nothing less than a 10 on a rating scale.the Graphics are superb,and the story is top notch,and let's not forget about the awesome musical score that keeps you're heart pumping and the controller going crazy in you're hands.I know this review is very late,but I wanted to wait until all the bugs were addressed with patchesMass Effect 3 is probably the best game in the series and deserves nothing less than a 10 on a rating scale.the Graphics are superb,and the story is top notch,and let's not forget about the awesome musical score that keeps you're heart pumping and the controller going crazy in you're hands.I know this review is very late,but I wanted to wait until all the bugs were addressed with patches before I give my final review.also the multi-player is awesome and a great addition to an already awesome game.too all you Trolls on here giving ME3 awful reviews,get over you're BS and stop bashing this game. Expand
  54. Mar 18, 2012
    Rather than discuss the ending, I'll just discuss the game. I honestly feel it deserves a 9. It improves on Mass Effect 2 in several areas, yet regresses in others. In Mass Effect 2, you had several planets to explore and interact with. In Mass Effect 3, you only get one area: The Citadel. It feels like you really have no room to explore in the universe. Random banter across the citadelRather than discuss the ending, I'll just discuss the game. I honestly feel it deserves a 9. It improves on Mass Effect 2 in several areas, yet regresses in others. In Mass Effect 2, you had several planets to explore and interact with. In Mass Effect 3, you only get one area: The Citadel. It feels like you really have no room to explore in the universe. Random banter across the citadel tends to repeat, taking away from the immersion factor of this game. Side quests are aquired by listening to conversations on the citadel. Tracking them is a hassle. Shooting and moving is more improved from Mass Effect 2, and multiplayer actually works. However, the entire series gives you the illusion that your choices will shape the galaxy. However, the end result means that everything you did didn't really shape anything. Expand
  55. Apr 1, 2012
    Ok, I've just finished the game, took me a few weeks with work commitments etc. I really didn't want to write a review until I had done that based on the other reviews here. I have to say I just don't get the criticism of the ending. I thought it was pretty poignant and kind of logical. I'm not going to add spoilers. I was sorry to lose one particular person earlier on in my play thru butOk, I've just finished the game, took me a few weeks with work commitments etc. I really didn't want to write a review until I had done that based on the other reviews here. I have to say I just don't get the criticism of the ending. I thought it was pretty poignant and kind of logical. I'm not going to add spoilers. I was sorry to lose one particular person earlier on in my play thru but it's about hard choices in war isn't it? So the game, it's nearly as good as ME2, there are way more weapon options which I liked tho. I tended to stick with the modded geth assault rifle tho the Chakram thrower from playing the koatr demo was also cool. So it was an epic run thru, my 6 year old son was invested in it too, he thought he was watching a movie, I have to drop some kudos on the multiplayer too, the first 2 weeks or so with the game I spent on that as it's very well executed and very enjoyable, check it out if you haven't. My major criticism of the game as a whole is it's too short, I like how the mini games to pick locks etc have gone, but I'm in two minds about mining etc being streamlined. So anyway, an awesome game frankly, worthy of the series. 9/10 Expand
  56. Mar 16, 2012
    I am a huge fan of Sci-fi and RPGs, but this one is such a boring experience...can't believe it got a great score by all critics.
    It's a full load of cinematics (which can't even be skipped) and then when you finally get to play, you have to do always the same old stuff you did in ME1 and ME2 over and over again.
    Played for 5 hours and don't know if I wanna play it again...pure boredom :(
  57. Mar 12, 2012
    Let me be vary clear i am not going to complain about the graphics the Homosexuality or the glitches. With the level of coding needed to facilitate a game like this with so many choices and paths to take it is expected. If you want a gay or lesbian Shepard more power to you. As a matter of fact on My second play-through i may just try that with my Female renegade, but we shall see.
    What
    What really made me drop to my knees and cry what really killed this game for me was the ending.
    Without giving anything away let me explain.
    All those choices that you made, all those people you met, all those romances you had, AMOUNT TO NOTHING. No mention no nothing. Let me be clear i have no problem with a bittersweet ending. If lets say Shepard had no choice and all he could do to save his world and the Woman/Man he loves is to end his own life then sure by all means but treat it as such. Better yet do it gently. Or make it after a grand final battle. No such thing happens. A lot of people were complaining about the negativity of the ending. If the end would have been handled with a little more care i would not be as angry sad and frustrated. Let me be clear this games took me 35 hours to complete combining the game play from all three that led to this finally i had a grand total of 126 hours of game-play mostly from 1 and 2 respectively. To then tell me that all that work and toil and sweat and sleepless nights amounts to nothing is more then just saddening. It is a swift kick to the nuts. A sudden pain radiating up your back toward your stomach. I actually played the ending again the first time just to make sure i did not make a mistake, and then a played it a third time just to be sure. I actually contemplated throwing this game out the window. Something i had never done before. However if you let your anger subside as i did after about a day. You will go back watch the end again let the credits finish rolling and hear how what you have done throughout the game has become the stuff of legend. Many cry foul at this but i see it as a nod from Bioware to keep going and persevere and try again. That and the Game itself leading up to the last ten minutes are what kept me from giving this thing anything less then a five. You will like the game, up untill you make your final push for the transporter. After that you will cry, you will be angry, you will be speechless. You will try again and again to find the truth and you will fail. Bioware has tried and failed to resist EA Greed. First Red Alert 3 and now this. I am done with you EA. Here is a quick list of the game series EA has ruined.
    Command and Conquer: RED ALERT
    Mass Effect 3
    Command and Conquer
    Dungeon Master
    Sim (name here)

These are just the ones I've played.
    These are big series too.
    Congrats EA with this you have pissed off Sci-Fi fans across the world.

Bioware resist the EA greed and keep making good games .

the following is for EA:

**** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  58. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played all three Mass Effect games and have loved them. The Mass Effect series is my second favorite series. However, this game is extremely disappointing. The game is great up until the last hour when you "take back" Earth. It was nothing as expected or advertised. I expected to have an ending that was a blend of ME1 and ME2. This means that I expected to have epic space and land battles where I had to make ethical decisions that impacted the game. The ending was nothing like this. It was basically the same as any other mission, and you have to make a "choice" at the end. There are three options, and they are all bad options with the same cut scene ending. The cut scene makes no sense, answers no questions, provides no closure, and is an insult to all of the fans of Mass Effect. I basically have two big problems with the game. One, the ending is too ambiguous which doesn't provide any answers or satisfaction. You don't know what happened to the crew, races, worlds, or galaxy. Two, the ending is anti-climatic which means that it is boring and not fitting for a Mass Effect game and especially for the end of a trilogy.
    I have a third problem, but it is not with the game. The third problem is with the developer. Bioware has made some unethical, greedy business decisions lately. It started with their decision to make KOTOR into an MMO instead of another console release. They knew that they would make more money with it as an MMO. I won't get into why I hate MMOs and how they are destroying the RPG genre. Bioware has recently dumbed down other RPG games like Dragon Age II and ME3 to appeal to the masses and make more money. This brings us to ME3. There are three issues with ME3. First, there is a code required to play the multiplayer. This is done to make more money from people who rent or buy used. Second, they have a release day DLC which is something they did for ME2 also. That DLC should be included with the retail release, but they sell it separately to make more money. The DLC isn't worth $10 because it is just one short mission and a playable character. All work completed before the retail release should be included in the retail price. I shouldn't have to pay extra unless they create the material after the release date. Third, they are releasing a DLC with the "true" ending, and they will charge $10 (or more) for this DLC. They made this false ending that no one likes so they could force everyone to buy the DLC with the "true" ending. It was done on purpose because Shepard awakens at the end of the cut scene and is back on Earth. The ending wasn't real. If it wasn't real, why is the real ending released months later and requires additional money? The real ending should have been included on the retail release that you have already bought at a high price. This is also done to make more money at the expense of loyal fans. I paid full price ($60) for what I thought was a finished and good product. I was wrong. It is not finished, and it is not as good as I hoped. I have to pay more money to finish it, but I will not do it. All of their business decisions are fueled by pure greed for money at this point.
    Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this game. If you are a fan of ME1 and ME2, then buy the game later. Wait for it to be $20 which won't be long. I bet that it will be $20 by this summer. You shouldn't buy the DLCs either because you don't want to reward and encourage Bioware for their unethical, greedy business practices. Bioware has basically given the middle finger to all loyal fans, and it is laughing all the way to the bank. I know the last few sentences seems really negative, but it is true. How can you not feel shafted by the game's ending and Bioware's business practices?
  59. Mar 19, 2012
    I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 too much.it is the Best Mass Effect Game.But one thing in Mass Effect 3 from which I had been disappointed is the ending.Bio ware has to change the ending.Please Bio ware,With Mass Effect 3 I have become the Huge fan of Mass Effect Series.Please Change the ending with New DLC.
  60. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closureOne of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closure in the relationships made, whether between LIs or squad mates. They never come to fruition, and there is no resolution. ME3 was advertised to have a multitude of outcomes based upon players' choices. That's what originally made the Mass Effect franchise such a great success. The finale should have raised the player to great heights or taken the player to despair... and everywhere between based upon the consequences of the player's decisions throughout the entirety of the series(Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between). BioWare should have finished their remarkable work on the strengths that it was built on. Choice and consequence. It seemed like a given, but... You leave the game feeling complete and utter disappointment. It is truly remarkable how an ending can be so profoundly and remarkably bad. It truly destroys the franchise entirely. This is not an easy thing to say, as I've loved the series from the start. There is no replay value at all. BioWare has ruined years of work in the last ten minutes on what should have been one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It will be a study in the future on how not to end a story franchise. Expand
  61. Mar 20, 2012
    A complete departure from the spirit of the series in that there's no impact from your prior decisions on the ending. There are a few great scenes; but overall, it's a travesty.
  62. Mar 20, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. I really tried to forgive the ending. But once I stopped making excuses and stopped leaning on the last two games,I came to accept that I truly hated the game as a whole and wish i hadn't played it.
  63. Mar 22, 2012
    After waiting months for this game to release, when it finally arrived I was over the moon I ripped open the packaging, quickly looked through all the extra's then slammed the disk into my PS3. As I waited for the day one patch to install I continued to look through the extra's and was delighted with them, with the day one patch all installed I started to play and was blown away by howAfter waiting months for this game to release, when it finally arrived I was over the moon I ripped open the packaging, quickly looked through all the extra's then slammed the disk into my PS3. As I waited for the day one patch to install I continued to look through the extra's and was delighted with them, with the day one patch all installed I started to play and was blown away by how much better the graphics to the game were (though the frame rate was not stellar it was still playable). I played for hours and hours, intrigued and astounded by the story line, the characters development and as always the amazing voice acting. After 1 week I got to the end of the game and that's when things started going down hill, the ending (without giving spoilers) was absolutely terrible, I was upset, bewildered and down right angry. 98% of the game was amazing, just for that to be destroyed in the last 10 minutes. Expand
  64. Mar 31, 2012
    Loved all the mass effect games, why would they destroy such a wonderfull series with such a blatantly illogical LAST 5 MIN... I justify my score with the following articles and videos:

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E
    2-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Fix this ending plz.
  65. Apr 4, 2012
    Just started playing at the weekend , 1st time playing ME games, truly amazing. This must be the future of entertainment. Anyone who gives this game less than 8 has ISSUES, irrespective of the ending . its all about the journey my friends. Enjoy
  66. Apr 16, 2012
    It would be easy for me to give into emotions and give Mass Effect 3 a low score for the same reasons many of my fellow fans have. I could rail against the ending and any number of minor nuances, but to do so would be dishonest and misleading. The fact of the matter is, for 95 percent of Mass Effect 3, the game is immaculate. Combat is precise, dialogue is to the same level it has beenIt would be easy for me to give into emotions and give Mass Effect 3 a low score for the same reasons many of my fellow fans have. I could rail against the ending and any number of minor nuances, but to do so would be dishonest and misleading. The fact of the matter is, for 95 percent of Mass Effect 3, the game is immaculate. Combat is precise, dialogue is to the same level it has been since the first game, and the cutscenes are absolutely stunning. Seeing the galactic war against the Reapers is breathtaking and magnificent, and was emotionally impactful in a way I have never felt from a video game before. Of course, this made the ending all that much more heartwrenching, and for emotionally invested fans of the series like myself, disappointment, depression, and anger are likely to come about. For players new to the Mass Effect series, this game has to rate a perfect 10, as it is the best installment in the series, and gives a massively immersive feel not seen in many games. For fans of the previous two games, however, it has to rate a bittersweet 7.5. A slightly railroaded plot coupled with a bizarre ending make the conclusion to the franchise a hard pill to swallow, even if the majority of the game is absolutely beautiful, whether we want to admit it or not. Expand
  67. Apr 24, 2012
    I was really disappointed with Mass Effect 3 instead of getting what I thought was the 3rd in a line of excellence I got a what felt like a rushed game with weak game play, unrealistic characters, and uninspiring dialog.
    The choose your own actions seems lacking at best of times and extremely dull. The OTT action sequence that are meant to real in the masses aren't that impressive, and instantly forgettable. After finishing the first 2 (especially the 1st) I just couldn't help myself in letting everyone around me know how awesome they were. Sadly Mass Effect 3 just didn't have the same impact and never really delivered the game I was looking forward to play for so long. Bioware has ruined the franchise.
  68. Jun 27, 2012
    As much as I really wanted to enjoy Mass Effect 3, there really is the feeling of this game getting rushed out of the door. In comparison to the first two, the story is paper thin, revolving around priority missions which somehow or another result in a main character being killed, much to my extreme disdain. The combat, I feel, isn't as well done or even fun as its predecessors, and by theAs much as I really wanted to enjoy Mass Effect 3, there really is the feeling of this game getting rushed out of the door. In comparison to the first two, the story is paper thin, revolving around priority missions which somehow or another result in a main character being killed, much to my extreme disdain. The combat, I feel, isn't as well done or even fun as its predecessors, and by the time the nonsensical ending came along, I was so ready to be done, that I didn't even care. Truly one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever experienced. Expand
  69. Jul 2, 2012
    First, to get it clear, all the reviews that gave ME3 a 0 or 1 are just... can't use profanity... there's no way a game could get a score like that. The only problem that made Mass Effect 3 get bad reviews from just "fans" is because of the endings. Now the Extended Cut, a free DLC, fixes probably more than half of the issues, including the bad ones, making the ending a satisfying and sadFirst, to get it clear, all the reviews that gave ME3 a 0 or 1 are just... can't use profanity... there's no way a game could get a score like that. The only problem that made Mass Effect 3 get bad reviews from just "fans" is because of the endings. Now the Extended Cut, a free DLC, fixes probably more than half of the issues, including the bad ones, making the ending a satisfying and sad end to the best video game trilogy ever created. The game has minor flaws: glitches, and awkward moments but not game breaking. The game has everything: fun, epic moments, love, care, role playing, action, adventure, heart pumping moments. Not buying this game would be a HUGE mistake, except if you never played the previous Mass Effect games, which are masterpieces. Maybe I make Mass Effect sound overrated, but the best thing about it, is that ME3 is that good. A simple art masterpiece. But it isn't perfect of course, the game could have been improved with more content, as it lacks of appealing side quests. The side quests (optional assignments) are unnecessary and too the point of boredom, but as I said: optional so I won't add it to my score. It is worth your money and none should be disappointed now, as the end has been fixed. Do not even judge by the extremely negative user reviews. I would tell you to trust the critics on this one, even they ignored the original ending, now, forgettable as Extended Cut is out, at no extra cost. Expand
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes for ME3, Ive been a fan since the beginning. I like the game so far, gameplay is vastly improved, dialogue is strong, everything that was bad about the first two games was corrected in ME3. I feel like I have less dialogue choices now. there's no middle option, so that detracted my experience a little bit. Overall, this game is quite enjoyable, and a nice fitting end to Mass Effect. I like the characters, some have developed, The little retcons here and there are annoying but bearable, but it is kind of sad. Gameplay is fantastic, plays a bit like a Gears of War clone, but it still plays better. The sound and music are phenomenal, and the Graphics have improved, but could be better. Im giving it a 7 because despite the pros of the game, EA/Bioware have destroyed this game. their marketing strategies, dlc, day one dlc that has a pretty important character, and the feeling that it's about making money rather than making a great game. dont get me wrong, it's a fun game, but it could have been even better than what it was if the meta stuff was removed. EA, you are a terrible company. Bioware, you have lost a fan. this is my last EA/Bioware game I will ever buy, despite the fun I am having, you have lost a fan. Expand
  71. Mar 6, 2012
    I dislike that they are trying to market this game off to casual gamers. As a trilogy I would rather have had them do what they did with this game to the previous two. Aside from that, the game isn't all bad. Although the game still feels much simpler than the first, the shooter element has gotten a vast improvement. The multiplayer is great, addictive and avoidable if you do not haveI dislike that they are trying to market this game off to casual gamers. As a trilogy I would rather have had them do what they did with this game to the previous two. Aside from that, the game isn't all bad. Although the game still feels much simpler than the first, the shooter element has gotten a vast improvement. The multiplayer is great, addictive and avoidable if you do not have means to play it online. All in all the game is great for mass effect fans. If you have yet to play the first and second ME I suggest you do before playing this, it will greatly improve what would otherwise be a very confusing story. Expand
  72. Mar 6, 2012
    Have loved the mass effect series since the beginning. Have played quite a bit of this game there are just some things that really seem like they are over looked. First why did they have to add more stuff to the button to take cover. This is very frustrating sometimes when it does not does what you want it to. The graphics are great and so is the story there just seems to be parts of theHave loved the mass effect series since the beginning. Have played quite a bit of this game there are just some things that really seem like they are over looked. First why did they have to add more stuff to the button to take cover. This is very frustrating sometimes when it does not does what you want it to. The graphics are great and so is the story there just seems to be parts of the game that were forgotten. I really was hoping the cover system would be better then the second game and it is even worse. I would highly recommend this game I just give it a seven because they did not improve over the last one. The game was just made to make money not to satisfy fans and that cost it some in the production. Expand
  73. Mar 8, 2012
    this game is great i love the dialogue and the memorable characters returning and the multiplayer is a great addition to the mass effect series and has rich environments to discover
  74. Mar 7, 2012
    I am commander Shepard and this is my favourite game on Metacritic. It is so good I or Commander Shepard that is The Commander Shepard gave "it" a 10 out of 10. Now stop being in the middle of some calibrations and play this game because I have had enough of your disingenuous assertions.
  75. Mar 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game with excellent characterization, story and gameplay. There are occasional bugs, and the endings are deeply flawed, but there is no question that this is a journey worth taking. For more details on my perspective, visit my review at: http://edwardcheeverreviews.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/mass-effect-3-review/
  76. Mar 31, 2012
    The ending of this game ruined over 5 years of Mass Effect gameplay. The developers are dishonest, deceitful, and have done an enormous disservice to their fans. The people who say they like the ending are not objective or smart enough to see the enormous plot holes and inconsistencies with ANYTHING pertaining to this game.
  77. Mar 31, 2012
    A good game at first, but it has a bugged and broken quest log that can't help itself, a watered down side quest system where you just "hear" stuff while running around, RPG elements being ditched and disregarded and the ending is a borderline scam on the players. As a standalone shooter, it has a pass, but I was told I was buying a RPG where my choices mattered. In the end, the game isA good game at first, but it has a bugged and broken quest log that can't help itself, a watered down side quest system where you just "hear" stuff while running around, RPG elements being ditched and disregarded and the ending is a borderline scam on the players. As a standalone shooter, it has a pass, but I was told I was buying a RPG where my choices mattered. In the end, the game is best returned to the retailer if you have a refund option. Shame, it could have been a great game. Expand
  78. Mar 7, 2012
    One of the better games I've played in the last decade; Mass Effect 3 improves on the other preceding titles in virtually all manners barring some subjective ways others may deem inaccurate or useless. To explain: The combat is much better and smoother, conversations are more realistic and just in general top-notch, the characters both new & old are vastly improved, voice actingOne of the better games I've played in the last decade; Mass Effect 3 improves on the other preceding titles in virtually all manners barring some subjective ways others may deem inaccurate or useless. To explain: The combat is much better and smoother, conversations are more realistic and just in general top-notch, the characters both new & old are vastly improved, voice acting (especially from Mark Meer) is vastly superior and the emotion runs high in the story throughout. Most importantly, the story is much better than Mass Effect 2's, although it falls short (barely) of Mass Effect 1. I strongly suggest buying it for these reasons alone, but there is more... The multiplayer, which is unexpected to say the very least, had me underwhelmed when I first saw it disclosed, but when I played the demo, and now in the retail, I have grown to see it as an integral component to the game and like the rest of it is of massive quality. The supplementary "Galaxy at War" is also interesting, if underdeveloped, and I would like to see it improved in future DLC. Lastly, I should mention what I found to be bad: -Animations when taking cover can sometimes glitch and freeze characters or make them look lifeless (i.e. you have full control but while on the wall they don't breath etc) -Some old friends in the textures popping up; this is rare, and happens almost universally after you finish an N7 mission. -I would have liked if it was more difficult, it's easy (to an extent) for a gamer of my skill (Average, possibly slightly above-average). -A few plot holes, easily forgivable given their minimal impact/enjoyable repercussions Other than those small gripes, the game is outstanding, and is well worth the price of the retail and even the Collector's edition; if you own an Xbox or PC (I do not recommend for Playstation due to lack of Mass Effect 1) you owe it to yourself to play -experience- Mass Effect 3 for yourself. Don't listen to the 10's who blindly love the game, or the reds/0's who give their gripes with EA/Bioware/DLC as reasons for hate, carefully evaluate what the critics say and compare it with a rental or a purchase; I promise you will not regret it Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    Brilliant end to a great trilogy. It's all about great characters, story, graphics and an epic movie like feeling. The gameplay is still quite good, but will never compare to the rest of the elements.
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    This game hasn't even been out for 24 hours, I don't get where some of the hate on these reviews comes from. I've played the first couple hours and have enjoyed it.
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    good grief. What an amazingly awesome and truly epic finale to a series that I've loved since the first. If you play through this game without playing the first 2 first, you're doing yourself a disfavor. You didn't read or watch the return of the king before watching the hobbit, did you? or watch harry potter 20 or whatever the last one was before reading or watching the first 19 or howgood grief. What an amazingly awesome and truly epic finale to a series that I've loved since the first. If you play through this game without playing the first 2 first, you're doing yourself a disfavor. You didn't read or watch the return of the king before watching the hobbit, did you? or watch harry potter 20 or whatever the last one was before reading or watching the first 19 or how ever many there were first did you? And play it the rpg way the way it was meant to be played. They fixed everything that was slightly wrong with the first two. So much more weapon and power upgrade capabilities. So much more armor customization. So much more story. XP for looking over a balcony? no. XP for helping disputes? Yes. Is it that much more awesome? yes. Everything is polished to a current gen premium shine. sound is brutal and varied and exciting and the best of the series and the sci-fi genre as a whole. I didn't enjoy the demo all that much and seriously didn't think it could recapture that amazement and discovery the first game did what seems like such a long time ago, but it does so much more. the negative reviews aren't from hard core gamers. period. if you know games, or mass effect, or science fiction, or fun, or life, you can't play this game and give it an honest bad review. that would be like saying the mona lisa has too much paint on it. or the zonda isn't fast enough. or the south pole isn't snowy enough. if you own a system that can play this game, do it. if you don't enjoy this game, you're a krogan. Expand
  82. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is AMAZING. People are only bombing the game on metacritic because of the day one dlc thing. These people are flaming idiots. They think that the game itself doesn't have enough without the dlc to offer, which it clearly does, but they go ahead anyway and lie about their "review" for Mass Effect 3 just to ruin its user score. The game is excellent, great graphics, great story,This game is AMAZING. People are only bombing the game on metacritic because of the day one dlc thing. These people are flaming idiots. They think that the game itself doesn't have enough without the dlc to offer, which it clearly does, but they go ahead anyway and lie about their "review" for Mass Effect 3 just to ruin its user score. The game is excellent, great graphics, great story, good voice acting, improved gameplay mechanics. It will definitely be a contestant for the game of the year. Expand
  83. smb
    Mar 8, 2012
    Excellent, a very very good game, I have playes mass effect 1 and 2 and if you like them, you should play it whit no doubt .
  84. Mar 19, 2012
    A beautiful, thrilling and flawed conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy. ME3 does not disappoint when it comes to intense action set pieces and an epic story. The abundant drama in this game feels earned after playing the previous games in the series and it is nice to see the decisions made in those games impacting on this one. Multiplayer is a surprisingly effective addition, with aA beautiful, thrilling and flawed conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy. ME3 does not disappoint when it comes to intense action set pieces and an epic story. The abundant drama in this game feels earned after playing the previous games in the series and it is nice to see the decisions made in those games impacting on this one. Multiplayer is a surprisingly effective addition, with a great range of character classes, races and unlockables to keep you hooked. The main problem with ME3 is the character interaction. Shepard's team is not as memorable as before, with few new faces onboard. Conversation options with them are fairly shallow and you miss the loyalty missions of ME2. The exclusion of the latter is understandable since Shepard is on a tight schedule to stop the Reapers. But it is still disappointing. Overall, though, I still greatly enjoyed playing this game and hope to play it again soon. Mass Effect has been the greatest video game trilogy of all time and ME3 is a worthy end to the saga. Expand
  85. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the first games I can remember truly enjoying was Twisted Metal II. The gameplay was okay and the graphics were fine for the time. But what really caught my attention is that each character had his or her own unique ending. They weren't even CGI cut scenes. I mention this, because this is what I want and why I play videogames; for a compelling and interactive story. With Mass Effect, I was drawn in by the story and the fact that I was able to choose my future. When Mass Effect 2 made my decisions apparent, I relished the though of fighting the Reapers in a galaxy that I helped construct. Over the course of the first two game I invested hundreds of hours (with six completions of the first game and twelve completions of the second game including one just to see everyone die). I have a deep emotional investment in this universe that Bioware created. So I do not relish being so critical of the completion to such a rich history. To begin: the gameplay has been improved. Weapons each have an individual feel. Choosing your weapon become a balance of what feels right and what is the most effective. It also affect how you determine your character's skills. Speaking of which, the RPG element of character development have returned. You now not only have a choice of which powers your character have and use, but the characteristic of those powers. This improves upon the strategy during combat as your powers are now adapted to how you want to play. In combat movement and power are more fluid once you adapt to the changes. Th kinect makes it faster but you can still slow the action and formulate strategy. Finally, the story is amazing... for the most part. Moments like Mordin ascending to the top of the spire or Tali removing her mask on her home world or just Captain Anderson and Shepard sitting together looking down on Earth quite literally brought tears to my eyes. I lost it upon the realization that Thane's final prayer was for me. But as much good as the story brings, there is disappointment. A story is as much the ending as it is all other components. If the ending is not rich and full, it tears the audience away from the experience. It leave a bad taste. And the potential endings (of which I have experience three) are lacking in fruition. They seem to destroy as much as they attempt to save... Further, all my efforts building a force seems to do little in the grand scheme of things. There is also very little closure for my friends and for the entire universe. I don't need everyone to live happily ever after, but I want to know who lives and who dies, how the galaxy is shaped, and I want to see all those forces I obtained fighting to the last stand. I didn't get any of that. Further, there were faces missing. Kal Reeger dies heroically without so much a a hello. No Fisk. Very little interaction with the council which I thought would be flushed out. And Grunt's cameo was only a single mission. He disappears after one interaction without so much as a "Stop and see me on the citadel before I ship out." There were also some other minor issues as far as choices. Not being able to remove the helmet on the full armor sets, having less weapon customization than Alpha Protocol, no armor enhancement, and fewer interactive conversations with the crew (like Tali being drunk or any interaction with Zaeed). Plus, what happen to the paragon and renegade opportunities? Mass Effect is not a bad game. It's enjoyable. But as a hardcore fan it's also a disappointment. With how much time and emotion I invested in ME 1 and 2, this should have been an easy 10. While ME3 managed to improve in so many areas, it fell short in some of the very areas that made the other two so compelling: a character driven story where my choices matter. Perhaps it was too large; Bioware may ave created something that was so big they couldn't live up to the conclusion that everyone wanted. But I can't help thinking it could have ended so much better. Expand
  86. Mar 12, 2012
    Ignore the negative user reviews (the exaggeratedly negative). The game is incredible and should be recognized as such, the ending may be regrettable, but judging the game solely by ts last 5 minutes is unfair. If you have liked any of the mass effect series you will thoroughly enjoy the final chapter of Commander Shepard's journey. If you are new to the series GO PICK UP THE FIRST TWOIgnore the negative user reviews (the exaggeratedly negative). The game is incredible and should be recognized as such, the ending may be regrettable, but judging the game solely by ts last 5 minutes is unfair. If you have liked any of the mass effect series you will thoroughly enjoy the final chapter of Commander Shepard's journey. If you are new to the series GO PICK UP THE FIRST TWO although the game does a well enough job for accommodating for those who have not. The multiplayer is also fantastic, especially considering it is not the focus. I only ask those that are bombing this sight with negative reviews too stop, we still don't know what Bioware has in store. Expand
  87. Mar 12, 2012
    The justification of these low scores are terrible and wrong. Bioware clearly put a lot of heart and effort into a game which takes over 30 hours to complete. The voice acting is brilliant, the ending isn't the best but it was well designed and impacted you well. The day 1 DLC was wrong, yes. It wasn't anything game changing other than a few spoilt gamers expecting it even though it'sThe justification of these low scores are terrible and wrong. Bioware clearly put a lot of heart and effort into a game which takes over 30 hours to complete. The voice acting is brilliant, the ending isn't the best but it was well designed and impacted you well. The day 1 DLC was wrong, yes. It wasn't anything game changing other than a few spoilt gamers expecting it even though it's neither game changing content or something you need. Mass effect is a brilliant game the quality, graphics of it are brilliant. The controls are generally glitchy but never complete broke the game. Some of the scenes saddened me and made you feel bad for the sacrifices shepherd had to endure. Anybody who reviews this game at 0 is clearly lying to them selves with no effort in actually playing the game completely before bombing it on meta critic. Mass effect 3 is hardly the best game that will come out this year but is one of the best story based games ever released. Expand
  88. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I preordered this game. I got it, started playing it, and within about 2 hours of playing it I was satisfied. BioWare streamlined and improved every system, including missions (although some were hard to do because they weren't on the galaxy map), and they brought back the Citadel with a number of new really cool areas to check out. Dialogue seemed so much more casual than it had been in the first two games, and in my opinion it was acted and animated better. Any character that was still two-dimensional after ME2 was made three-dimensional, and every character that was three-dimensional after ME2 was so multifaceted you could believe that they were real. For example, the whole interaction between Shepard and Garrus was just priceless. Garrus used to be just another companion in the first two games, but in Mass Effect 3 he became something like Shepard's best friend. The rest of the characters, like Tali, Ashley, and James were very well-developed. Even the Prothean squadmate had his moments. I felt like the romances in this series were also so much more real. I kept Liara as my love interest from the first game, and there was a lot more emotional talking going on than just plain sexy time at the end (that happened too, aw yeah). The plot was pretty freakin sweet, I loved the Tuchanka mission and the Rannoch mission... but man those decisions can be hard. I thought the combat system in this game was better than it had been in the first game (of course) and Mass Effect 2. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2's combat but at times it seemed altogether too easy... it seems that BioWare improved the AI for ME3. The option of heavy melee is ingenious because there are so many times in the game when you're going to be in a bind. I appreciate the unlimited sprint... well you kind of need it on Tuchanka. The guns feel a lot better, the powers feel a lot better... weapon upgrades are great, armor upgrades are better than ME2's. Oh did I mention there's a **** **** of guns to choose from? Sweet stuff. Conversely, the end of the game was disappointing. The game led the player to believe that every choice would have its unique conclusion to the story, but that never happened. It's really sad to see something that could have been one of the greatest RPG's ever made kind of flop because the ending was lackluster. The multiplayer can be tough getting into it, especially if you fight Reapers or something (don't do it, just don't) but it pays off once you get a good team and get something cool (Krogan warrior or the Widow) and makes for a generally fun experience. This game is pretty freaking cool. The ending sucked, but it's definitely worth playing again with a different experience. I don't know why people posted bad reviews on here the day that the game came out, because you obviously couldn't have finished the game in a single day, and if you did, you didn't pay attention and subsequently the game sucked for you. So boo hoo, go play COD and keep the tissues and vaseline nearby. Expand
  89. Mar 7, 2012
    The BEST game of my favorite game series. Deserves the 10 I give it. Proud to call it my favorite game. It mixes flawless game play with a compelling story. I was also skeptical of the "kinect enhanced" but i'm SOOO glad that it is easy to use and fun to play with.
  90. Mar 6, 2012
    Solid singleplayer, amazing multiplayer, If you have played mass effect 1 or 2 then you already have this game and love it, I'm not going to be able to say anything to help. If you don't have this game, Think if your favorite shooter had select-able squadmates, customizable weapons and armor. Now if it had a story like a choose your own adventure.
  91. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll begin this review with my own perspective on the game's ending, since that seems to be the source of most of the low user scores on this site (the controversy over the DLC aside). I'll admit, immediately after completing the game, I felt a little betrayed by the finale - the pseudo-philosophical climatic revelation and choice was quite unexpected, as was Shepard's inescapable death, and the lack of resolution for most of the player's allies left me cold. However, the more I reflected on ending and all of its permutations, the more I appreciated it. In my view, the lead-up, that last ditch charge towards the beam, the horror of the Citadel, the last moments with Illusive Man and Anderson, all worked on a very potent emotional level, no matter what followed. Catalyst's revelation of the Reapers' nature makes a great deal of sense in the context of the rest of the series, giving them motivation and character that transcends the typical pestilential invader trope - indeed, there is even a perverse sort of logic to the Catalyst's solution, preserving organic life as a whole by ensuring that no force can rise up to stamp it out forever, that adds an unexpected element of ambiguity. Then comes Shepard's choice and sacrifice - admittedly, Bioware could have done more to make the consequences of each choice visually distinct, but the choice itself is very powerful and fascinating in terms of its implications. At first, I was afraid that the truly transformational nature of each path nullified all of the other decisions the player makes throughout the course of the series, but that really isn't the case. Barring the "failure" ending, the galaxy lives on as a result of Shepard's triumph, deprived (at least temporarily) of the easy transport of the Mass Relays, but able to rebuild and self-determine all the same. It is a bit frustrating that the futures of your party members and allies are left unstated, but then, it would have been impossible to satisfy every player and all of their investments in particular characters - leaving their fates to the imagination was, perhaps, the most elegant solution. Finally, Shepard's "death" in each ending seems to have rankled a lot of people who would have grown extremely attached to their own Commander over the course of three games. I empathize with this, but I'm inclined to think that killing Shepard was a brave and powerful choice on Bioware's part. It would have been easy to have Shepard bounce up the the Citadel, shoot Martin Sheen, flip the Reaper kill switch, and waltz off into Garrus'/Tali's/Ashley's/Wrex's arms, but that would have diminished the sheer emotional impact and consequence of the finale. No matter what choice is made, Shepard ends a cycle of destruction that has lasted for millions of years and defines the character of the galaxy for the next million â Expand
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    i guess me3 is aite

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  93. Mar 8, 2012
    to all of you who gave this game a low score: what did you expect form a story based action rpg? the main focus of this game has always been its great storyline and his awesome characters which are obviously awesome again. the mechanics weren't good in the previous games and they obviously aren't good in this one. but if you didn't expect that... i kinda feel sorry for yourto all of you who gave this game a low score: what did you expect form a story based action rpg? the main focus of this game has always been its great storyline and his awesome characters which are obviously awesome again. the mechanics weren't good in the previous games and they obviously aren't good in this one. but if you didn't expect that... i kinda feel sorry for your slow-wittedness. after all this game is great and i'm thanking bioware for another great story based game... btw i think after playing the whole series i wouldn't call it an action rpg. i think it's more of a tpg (TalePlayingGame) with rpg elements. Expand
  94. Mar 8, 2012
    I don't really understand why some users are giving this game such a low score, while it may differ from the previous slightly its not enough to warrant a 0 or 1 rating. Its interesting that users who game the game a 9-10 for mass effect 2 are now giving it a 1. Seems to me like something else is bothering players and its not the game play, I think the game is pretty freaking good if you ask me
  95. Mar 8, 2012
    Everything about this game proves Bioware's crowning achievement. It takes everything right about the previous games and betters them, and fixes all the technical issues. The combat is better than it's ever been, there are fewer technical issues. The writing is once again brilliant. Applaud Bioware, folks, they have done it again.
  96. Mar 7, 2012
    Bioware/EA certainly is capable of producing slapdash, focus-grouped crap. Dragon Age 2 is the prime example. But Mass Effect 3 is not Dragon Age 2. Is it the pure RPG of your dreams? No. Is it the greatest squad based shooter ever? Also no. Will it fulfill all of your fanboy dreams of Shepard and Tali living happily ever after in a house on the Homeworld? No again. If youBioware/EA certainly is capable of producing slapdash, focus-grouped crap. Dragon Age 2 is the prime example. But Mass Effect 3 is not Dragon Age 2. Is it the pure RPG of your dreams? No. Is it the greatest squad based shooter ever? Also no. Will it fulfill all of your fanboy dreams of Shepard and Tali living happily ever after in a house on the Homeworld? No again. If you evaluate it under any of these rubrics, you'll become enraged and give it a 0 on metacritic. (Same result if you hate day-one DLC or teh gheys with a passion, but I digress.) On the other hand, if you can just accept ME3 for what it actually is --a great sci-fi story with some good shooter and RPG elements mixed in-- you're in for an extremely enjoyable experience. In short, hating this game is like hating pizza because it's not ice cream. Expand
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    I've played through both of the first 2 mass effect games, the first one was a little slow but told a good story, the second one was absolutely amazing, the third one in my opinion tops both of them. and to everyone giving this a 0 review because of day one dlc its only 10 dollars, and it doesn't really effect the story from what I've seen of it. so in conclusion i think this game has aI've played through both of the first 2 mass effect games, the first one was a little slow but told a good story, the second one was absolutely amazing, the third one in my opinion tops both of them. and to everyone giving this a 0 review because of day one dlc its only 10 dollars, and it doesn't really effect the story from what I've seen of it. so in conclusion i think this game has a shot at game of the year, and the only reason why this game has such a low user score is because of poor people who can afford a 70 dollar game but can't afford 10 dollar dlc. it just don't make any sense to me Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    Don't listen to the haters. Either they're crybabies over, not getting a CE, the day one DLC "From Ashes", or they overreacted to the leaked ending WITHOUT ever playing through the game from the start themselves. Which is nearly guaranteed since the video leaks happened a week or two before release anyway.

This is a fitting conclusion to an EPIC trilogy, and it closes well enough.

This is a fitting conclusion to an EPIC trilogy, and it closes well enough. Obviously, you can't please everyone! Yet I think I writers did a good a job bringing it to life. For a saga as huge as Mass Effect, They came through. If the whiners can write a better story, then go, stop whining, and MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN GAME. Since ME3 wasn't good enough for your amazing tastes, and they are so much more talented than the people that make these games anyway... ;)
  99. Mar 6, 2012
    All these negative reviews are a joke. The game is a league above every other game out there. Looking at the critic reviews, this will be game of the year.
  100. Mar 6, 2012
    The story takes you along a grand ride through beautiful cinematics and epic battles. Bioware knows the correct formula in making a great game and they stuck by what makes Mass Effect great. The storyline is simple, save Earth. You are faced with the task of assembling your team again to face the group Cerberus, the infamous reapers, swarms of husks, and some great new enemies. YouThe story takes you along a grand ride through beautiful cinematics and epic battles. Bioware knows the correct formula in making a great game and they stuck by what makes Mass Effect great. The storyline is simple, save Earth. You are faced with the task of assembling your team again to face the group Cerberus, the infamous reapers, swarms of husks, and some great new enemies. You are able to explore and discover various planets full of resources, weapons, upgrades and more... This galactic adventure will have you glued to your seat addicted for more and if you haven't played ME1 or ME2 there's no need to worry. The story allows you to hop right into the present time and it will fill in the gaps for you. Don't pay attention to the Mass Effect trolls who think Bioware is attempting to gain the COD audience. No offense, but the average COD players are the one ones trolling the forums blasting this game because they are mostly simple minded and complexity in games isn't favorable to them. Take a chance on Mass Effect if you enjoy a great story and intense war sequences. This game is the real deal! Expand
  101. Mar 20, 2012
    Worst ending to a series ever. Thanks for making none of my choices made in any of the 3 games ultimately matter. What the hell was the point either saving/destroying the collector base anyway? Oh, that's right....there was none. You know what else? What happened to the expansive dialog wheel, or even FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Why does everyone on the game look like they are made of wax? EpicWorst ending to a series ever. Thanks for making none of my choices made in any of the 3 games ultimately matter. What the hell was the point either saving/destroying the collector base anyway? Oh, that's right....there was none. You know what else? What happened to the expansive dialog wheel, or even FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Why does everyone on the game look like they are made of wax? Epic fail. Bioware has now permanently lost a customer with this mess-up. I don't say this just because of how Mass Effect 3 turned out, I say this because they have been consistently releasing ****ty games in the past few years. I guess this is what happens when you sign on to the EA team. R.I.P Bioware. Collapse

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.