5.7

1. Mar 11, 2012
    Lets give a fair review here. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastically put together game overall. That being said it does have some shortcomings, which is why I give it an 8/10. The multiplayer is sub par and gives little in replay with lvl 20 being the cap and nothing really being gained from "Promoting" a character other than a tiny addition to your singleplayer game. And some of your pastLets give a fair review here. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastically put together game overall. That being said it does have some shortcomings, which is why I give it an 8/10. The multiplayer is sub par and gives little in replay with lvl 20 being the cap and nothing really being gained from "Promoting" a character other than a tiny addition to your singleplayer game. And some of your past choices have no real noticeable influence within the game. On the upside the game is open to many types of players which is great to open the audience. You can play shooter straight forward who cares about story, pure story with simple combat and conversation control, or a balance between the two. Now with the story, overall still stays strong throughout minus some disappointments with the ending, my only real issue is that there is a lot that is left unexplained that on how your influence will effect future generations. Personally I think the trilogy ended strong and its a fantastic game even if you haven't played the first two. Give it a shot and don't let all these people scoring it low for no reason discourage you. Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was fun to play and entertaining to watch, it was almost perfect except for a few things. One of the first things I noticed is the lack of LI's for a straight female character. You either had to import one from a previous game or that you have Kaidan as the VS. Even the ones you import from ME2, only one really comes through. There are the few loop holes but considering the scope of this thing, that can be understandable. The game also seems extremely short when compared to the the previous two games, but that might be due to the lack of DLCs. The biggest let down was the ending itself. We were told since the first ME game that our choices matter and will continue to matter all the way to the end of the series...they lied. Unless the ending is a dream/nightmare as what it seems to be and we are only waiting for an update or DLC to continue the game...the ending is the biggest disappoint in a game I've had in over a decade. The game is fun, draws you in and is re-playable just to try to find all the stuff you miss on the first time through but the ending and lack of male LIs for FShep brings the score down from a high 9 to a low 8. Expand
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok people the reviews here are not fare whatsoever and the reviews by the critics like IGN are paid off and overestimated. On my scale it deserves a 94 and should stay there. Now to explain my reasons. This is the final chapter in the series and it is more emotional and character centric then every other game in the series. The game is hands down not the best in the series but it sure as hell is not the worse. The mechanics are pretty good not as fluid as two was but still pretty good for all the added features. The kinect addition is awesome, but flawed. The flaws come with the commands where it cannot detect the words you say because of accents (I have a brooklynite accent). If you have your tv up to loud that also plays a bug role in the flaws because the kinect picks up the weirdest things from the audio coming out this added with the delay with your speech and the command being interpreted is a little annoying, but acceptable. I often found myself just using the kinect because it was much simpler and allowed me to focus on my enemies, however at the end of the game it becomes way to difficult to leave to the unreliable kinect features. So when it comes to mechanics and hardware its ok but not perfect. On to the game. Its freaking amazing it is not as striking as two but is still damn good. The reason why people feel it is bad is because it is not like two. What i have to say is duh it is a new game a new scenario and a hell of alot of different things happened in the time between games. The focus mostly on the psyche of shepard is magnificent. I say this purely because as a Marine I know of the trails and the pain and bioware id an amazing job. To be honest i understand everyone's distaste because of this. To be honest i agree with all the reasons why people hate it, but do i think the game sucks **** no why because its mass effect i love this game so much i bought three collectors edition one for each of my consoles so i love it, but was this perfect NO! The ending was an atrocity and the fact that we didnt get to play with the people we already had our hearts with like in me 2 was not smart at all. Instead they brought the people from the first game and brought us back to a time where we felt was long gone. The way bioware and EA has gone about the game was not the best, but none the less the games flaws can be overlooked because of its beauty (gfx), storytelling, gameplay, mechanics, and the awesomeness of the protagonist. I live my life by the paragon and doing whats right and making hard choices everyday and thats through the example of the main character shepard. Now do i advise people to buy the game if they havent played the first and second.......NO! to me there are far to many gaps left and it makes it less enjoyable. Do I advise buying it if you are a fan or have played the others....... yes because even though not the best it is amazing and is on the level of two just not above it like we would all hope. Now my last advisement play the first game as paragon with all side missions done and doing everything good, than play the second game with all side missions and loyalty missions done as paragon and survive with everyone, then play the third with all your imports and play as a paragon and do all the side missions and you will see the greatest series of games unfold into a great and magnificent lesson of life. After you do everything that i asked you would have gotten the best experience out of the game and the gameplay and story of three will make up for its horrific ending. With this said Mass effect is amazing and i am upset that bioware ****ed up certain parts and you should be ashamed. I mainly blame EA and there ****ing piece of **** people. Expand
  4. Mar 19, 2012
    After completing Mass Effect 1 and 2 multiple times in preparation for the epic conclusion, I was extremely pleased with how everything all turned out. The changes made from ME2 to ME3 were welcome ones. No more hacking or bypassing mini-games, or terribly long loading screens. Some of the RPG aspects from ME1 returned and made the game more customizable and personable. The MultiplayerAfter completing Mass Effect 1 and 2 multiple times in preparation for the epic conclusion, I was extremely pleased with how everything all turned out. The changes made from ME2 to ME3 were welcome ones. No more hacking or bypassing mini-games, or terribly long loading screens. Some of the RPG aspects from ME1 returned and made the game more customizable and personable. The Multiplayer component surprised me when I first played it and I was immediately hooked. The leveling and upgrade systems are well constructed and easy to get a grasp of. There were multiple events in the story that were so beautifully constructed and well orchestrated that I just had to sit back in my chair and revel in all of its glory. I have never felt so connected to a story and characters in a game. Many complain about the ending. These opinions are simply based on ignorance and a "I didn't get the exact ending I wanted so I'm going to complain" response. Did I get exactly what I wanted? No, I didn't. Was I still able to appreciate the overall ending while seeing the beauty of it and accept it for what it was? Yes! Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2012
    RIP Bioware. I mean.. EAWare.. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    the **** never **** ends. Seriously though, who gives a game a zero because they hate dlc? ME1 rules, ME2 rules, ME3 rules. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    Great game and a great ending to the trilogy. Bioware does a great job closing plot holes while leaving others open in case they decided to bring the Mass Effect universe back. A great ride from start to finish, one of the best games of the year.
  8. Mar 8, 2012
    For the people that are supplying this site with low reviews, take a step back. You are having a reaction to a game being different than you expected. This can happen. The game series has to evolve. The truth is that Mass Effect 3 is actually an amazing game. The AI is intelligent. The characters are amazing and the truth is go buy the guide to the game if you want to understand just howFor the people that are supplying this site with low reviews, take a step back. You are having a reaction to a game being different than you expected. This can happen. The game series has to evolve. The truth is that Mass Effect 3 is actually an amazing game. The AI is intelligent. The characters are amazing and the truth is go buy the guide to the game if you want to understand just how your decisions affected the outcome. If you didn't play Mass Effect 2, then many characters wouldn't make appearances. If you made major decisions like Reaper base, Wrex, Ashley, Rachnii from the first 2 games then your game will be different. We can't be angry because we expected these decisions to be completely revolutionary. And yes, I'm sure Bioware struggled with how to end a series like this, but if you watch the ending scene after the credits then everything will make sense. That's the truth. If the game and the reason why you've been playing as Commander Shepard is not apparent to you at the end of that scene after the credits then I feel bad for you. Truly the best gaming series that has ever been made. I wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way. I'll be waiting for the additional DLC. I can't wait. Expand
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    First of all, just because you don't like EA doesn't give you the right to give this game a 0. Same goes with the DLC. Just don't buy the DLC, it's not hard. Now for my short first impression review:

I'm about 3 hours into the game and so far I am very impressed. The combat feels smooth and has some extra features (hit markers, better cover system, new weapons system, etc.). Compared to Mass Effect 2, I think the combat feels WAY smoother and way more natural. So far, I like the story. Everyone is raging and saying "all you do is save the galaxy again." So what? That doesn't make it a bad story. I'm really enjoying it. I like to meet new companions as well as old ones. I've noticed a few bugs with the game, but nothing worth docking score. The lighting in the game looks really good and it helps bring life to the graphical engine. The sound is pretty good too. Overall, I really like it so far. This isn't an actual review, but I will post one at the end of the week when I beat it.
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    Yes, okay, I get it, it wasn't fair or right that they released Day 1 DLC, especially when its content adds a lot to the story. That was a fault on their part, but that doesn't justify giving this game a ridiculously low score. Anyways, now to what's important, this game is phenomenal. I've been following this trilogy from the start, and Bioware has combined the best elements of both MassYes, okay, I get it, it wasn't fair or right that they released Day 1 DLC, especially when its content adds a lot to the story. That was a fault on their part, but that doesn't justify giving this game a ridiculously low score. Anyways, now to what's important, this game is phenomenal. I've been following this trilogy from the start, and Bioware has combined the best elements of both Mass Effect 1 and 2, and has masterfully meshed these elements it into an emotional, epic, and beautiful final chapter to the Mass Effect trilogy. The scale of this game is absolutely huge, not in a Michael Bay sense (where it's all for the purposes of BAY-SPLOSIONS), but to make it feel like a truly desperate attempt to fight the Reapers, with each race playing a vital role in the survival of the galaxy. This desperation is just as evident in the much-more-explorable-this-time-around Citadel, with citizens left and right all talking about their personal stories and experiences with the invasion. And most of these are long, detailed conversations that you simply overhear while walking by! The combat has been noticeably improved, with the guns packing a bigger punch and the cover system allowing for much more mobility (though occasionally , like many cover-based shooters, you can unintentionally get caught up on a wall). The levels have been improved, with more verticality and more diverse locales. The RPG elements are a perfect hybrid of ME 1 and 2 (not unnecessarily deep [ME 1] but also not way too streamlined [ME 2]) The characters are much more expressive and emotional, especially Shepard (I play as male Shepard), who feels like a more human character this time around. I have NEVER choked up during a game or movie before, but I did it on more than one occasion throughout this game. I'm not to go into very much detail about this, but rest assured, you will be rewarded (or maybe punished) for the choices you made in the past 2 games. They do carry a lot of weight which is fantastic to see.

It is obvious that the people over at Bioware have not sold out (yeah yeah, ok get over the Day 1 DLC) and has poured their heart in soul into crafting one of the greatest (if not the absolute greatest) games of this generation.
  11. Mar 8, 2012
    Having played many hours, I have to say that this is much more than an amazing game. The things that haters say aren't how the say. They're giving 0 all the time just to troll. Mass Effect 3 mixes awesome story, great and fast gameplay, unforgettable characters and moments, etc. Stop comparing it with the other two games, and not say that it has to be similar than the first Mass Effect. InHaving played many hours, I have to say that this is much more than an amazing game. The things that haters say aren't how the say. They're giving 0 all the time just to troll. Mass Effect 3 mixes awesome story, great and fast gameplay, unforgettable characters and moments, etc. Stop comparing it with the other two games, and not say that it has to be similar than the first Mass Effect. In Mass Effect there was no war, so you could explore the galaxy freely. But how you people want this on Mass Effect 3? We are on a massive galactic war against the Reapers, and you think that Shepard and his crew can, for example, get on the Mako and visit some planets? Earth is being destroyed, and the game has to adapt to the story, so please, think and stop saying stupid things just to troll.

Mass Effect 3 may not be the best game ever made, but it's one of the best of this generation and an epic and brilliant ending to the trilogy. So now, let's go take Earth back.
  12. Mar 10, 2012
    Even better than the already near perfect Mass Effect 2. If you enjoy a rich story with awesome characters and smarter than the typical blow everything up shooter then the Mass Effect series is for you. I can't imagine anyone calling themselves a gamer wouldn't love this game.
  13. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone loves a good sci-fi game. And that's just it, this game is amazing. The mechanics are fun, the lore is fantastic, and as one of those people that has been following Commander Shepard's exploits since that fateful mission on Eden Prime, I cannot say the same for the story. Where Mass Effect 1 and 2 had several outcomes possible, with choices made affecting the world you experience in Mass Effect 3, I simply can't imagine playing the game without having experienced 1 and 2 first. However, that illusion of choice is shattered with the ending. Despite having 3 branching choices at the ending, and preparations of war to make throughout the game, every choice ends in a similar fashion.

Don't get me wrong, the game leading up to the end is amazing, and gives you a real sense of severity that this invasion brings, with every civilized race in the galaxy feeling the Reaper's wrath. But, with so much empathy invested in Shepard's story, and his relationship with his peers and possible love interests, the ending was a huge blow. Under any other circumstance, this ending would have been perfectly fine.

Ending aside, this game is quite amazing, but if you're someone who gets sucked into the world and the characters, and grow to CARE about the outcome, this will likely be hard to swallow. You have been warned.
  14. Mar 19, 2012
    10/10, endings included. I completely understand the ending leaving people feeling hollow, and for that I am sorry. It's obvious to me now that the majority of people do not understand the endings and how they work into the universe. What Bioware has done is both a writing and marketing masterpiece, leaving an entire series of dedicated fans continually discussing permutations and10/10, endings included. I completely understand the ending leaving people feeling hollow, and for that I am sorry. It's obvious to me now that the majority of people do not understand the endings and how they work into the universe. What Bioware has done is both a writing and marketing masterpiece, leaving an entire series of dedicated fans continually discussing permutations and possibilities. I am certain we will see 'the Truth' in some form of DLC, and that makes me all the more excited. If you want an immersive experience and an excellent (albeit unfinished) conclusion to an amazing sci-fi series, get this game. And please, take every little detail in, no matter how small. Hopefully, you will comprehend the masterpiece that Bioware has provided us. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2012
    All I have to say on this matter.

These reviews... they're some of the best trolling I've ever seen! Marvelous. As for the game, it's very good. It also has a poor framerate.
  16. Apr 1, 2012
    Two points off for two flaws, there is almost no exploration and the ending is crap. The rest of the game is fantastic, especially Tali's mission. Got to love Tali.
  17. Mar 14, 2012
    My god.. to think i just about did not go buy this game because of all the negative reviews i read on here. Boy you people are a piece of work this is the best game i have played in a long long time. Anyone who gives this game a bad score need to go have there head checked. 10/10
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    I have not finished the game and am only roughly 5 hours or so into the campaign, but I feel like I need to say something to counteract the buttjelly nerds that now have an irrational hate for everything Bioware does.

So far this game is great. Mass Effect 2's story was essentially all about getting getting characters and making sure they stayed loyal to you. There really wasn't much of an grand narrative to the game. You got people, made you they were loyal, then went to fight the collectors. Already, the story in ME3 feels much interesting and fleshed out. Every quest that I've done so far, regardless of whether or not it's the main quest or not, deals with the reaper invasion.

The combat as well, from what I've played, also seems just as good as before, if not better.

The graphics are also sexy as **** and are definitely an improvement over me2 (although that might also be because i'm playing on PC this time around).

This is the first game I've ever reviewed here on metacritic and while I feel bad about giving it a score without having played even close to half of it, I feel a strong need to counterbalance against the angry users who are simply zeroing based off weird preconceived notions that they have because of day 1 dlc and dragon age 2's repeating dungeons.

I can't just give this game a 10 without having played it all because then I'm just as bad as everyone giving it a 0. But I'm fairly confident that when I'm done playing I'm really going to wish I did. Bioware worked their asses off to make this game great and it's deserve's better than what it's getting on this site.
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    A great game. This is the same Mass Effect we know and love. The narrative is great and the combat is better than ever. Granted the fact that so many commands were mapped to one button is annoying, as you will experience some graphical hiccups, though at the end of the day, its worth it to play one of the best RPGs AND Shooters of this generation.
  20. Mar 18, 2012
    Here we go. My most anticipated game of this year. I have been waiting for this game since Mass Effect 2 mentioned it on its loading screen. I have been playing for 25 hours. I have completed it. From my reviews of the previous Mass Effect games, I highly regard them as one of the greatest Sci-fi stories of this generation and of all time. To make it short, I am a huge fan of this Sci-fiHere we go. My most anticipated game of this year. I have been waiting for this game since Mass Effect 2 mentioned it on its loading screen. I have been playing for 25 hours. I have completed it. From my reviews of the previous Mass Effect games, I highly regard them as one of the greatest Sci-fi stories of this generation and of all time. To make it short, I am a huge fan of this Sci-fi video game series. Mass Effect 3, for the past 4 months, have consumed me with anticipation and hype and I can tell you that for the most part, it was worth it but let me remind you to put emphasis on "the most part". Mass Effect 3 is a great game. The gameplay is the best in the series, the scope and ambition is huge, the story is still great and the characters are still great. All that is probably the big bulk of the game. But I am hesitating to my own surprise. After completing it, I felt completely bitter sweet. It wasn't horrible but It wasn't satisfying. I have read the comments made in this site about the game's ending and how it was a complete let down. From all the the comments, I was still confident that Bioware wouldn't disappoint with the ending of a prolific 3 game trilogy. To my own dismay, the thing that completely prevented me from giving this a 9 or 10 was the ending. It wasn't bad but it gave me such an empty feeling and I didn't like it one bit, especially when I have been lovingly crafting my story ever since the beginning. It felt so abrupt and it made me feel like all my accomplishments from the previous two games and my play through of ME3 inadequate and it left a lot of questions hanging for this series. Maybe its just me. Maybe this is the ending Bioware was planning since the beginning of the game and I wanted a satisfying ending because my Shepard has been working his/her (I have two Shepards) ass off. I wasn't satisfied at all. I have read theories about the ending that made me hopeful but as of now, they're still theories, not facts. The only positive thing that I could say about it is that I have never seen an ending quite like it and doesn't follow the typical Hollywood like ending which made me respect the ambiguity of it. Other than the ending, there are other problems the game suffers from. The dialogue option is very dumbed down to my surprise. If you want a conversation with your squad made on your off time, you only get the option wheels when at certain points of the story. The option wheel is dumbed down as well as I felt there was less dialogue options than in the previous games and the quick time paragon/renegade trigger and the charm/intimidate options are very occasional. All of this makes a very linear story that gives you smaller options on what path you can choose. There are still bugs from the previous games that ME3 suffers from like the random lighting, slow texture resolutions and occasional lag. Oh and the lip-synch is quite off too. The ending is the thing that most people and fans have been complaining about and I agree but unlike most of them who gave this game a straight 0 because of the ending, I still enjoyed this game. I love the story in this game, albeit the bitter sweet ending and it can be very intense, especially when you're doing Priority missions where you gather the entire galaxy for war. The combat is fantastic and will test your strategic skills when having gun fights. The characters are still the characters I know and love from the previous games, some matured from the past 2 games. Garrus is still my loyal sidekick and best friend, Joker is actually at his funniest in this game because I was laughing at his jokes and comments all the time and Liara is still one of my favourite video game heroines. Even when the dialogue option is dumbed down, it was still fun hearing conversations from the npc's. The multiplayer is fun but Mass Effect 3 doesn't really need it and I know that Bioware intended to put multiplayer in the series since the first game. Before I end this review, I should probably mention the one day DLC. I do agree that it is steep in price and felt like a cop out. The mission was absurdly short for a DLC and the character squad mate that you get should have been in the main story but to be honest, I really like the Prothean squad mate. I think he's probably one of the best squad members I have ever recruited because he's pretty much a walking renegade on vengeance mode. Shame you have to buy him (if you bought the game in standard). Overall, this game is really good. It could've been great if not for the bitter sweet, empty pay off it gives you after all your hard work, especially if you've completed the previous games and its limited choices you can make but it's combat, characters and progressing story makes up for it. I'm glad I waited for it and I'm glad that I played it. Expand
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    You will care about everything that happens. The gun fights you get in suddenly feel like they have a real purpose, and the things you're shooting really deserve it. They really knocked it out of the park on this one. Mass Effect has never been about pure gameplay, its about the story, however the gameplay has actually improved from ME 2 bringing it closer to its roots and implementing gunYou will care about everything that happens. The gun fights you get in suddenly feel like they have a real purpose, and the things you're shooting really deserve it. They really knocked it out of the park on this one. Mass Effect has never been about pure gameplay, its about the story, however the gameplay has actually improved from ME 2 bringing it closer to its roots and implementing gun mods. Playing from ME 1 to 3 with the same save file is an incredibly personalized experience unavailable in any other series! Lastly if you are a fan of good science fiction than this is something you just can't miss. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    With its grand storytelling and enthralling gameplay, Mass Effect 3 doesn't just bring an epic trilogy to a close, it rivals the most revered space operas.

At the close of Mass Effect 2, Commander Shepard learned of an impending Reaper threat to the galaxy, but was brushed off in typical bureaucrat fashion and his warnings were dismissed. At the start of Mass Effect 3 we see that Shepard was right all along and that the threat to the galaxy is on Earthâ
  23. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 provides a stunning end to the trilogy. The voice acting is top-notch, and the attention to details of previous installments is gratifying (if you've imported your Shephard). The game looks great and the combat is more streamlined from ME2, with a much needed heavy melee option. The story is very well done, and wraps everything up quite nicely. Definitely worth the wait.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    If you liked the first two, you'll love this one. There has been no drop in quality on any front. The gameplay, story, writing, and brilliant set pieces all shine as usual. However, there are 2 major things that bother me on an "ethical" level, if I can be so bold as use the word. Inputing a serial number on a console game is ridiculous, and release-date DLC flies in the face of whatIf you liked the first two, you'll love this one. There has been no drop in quality on any front. The gameplay, story, writing, and brilliant set pieces all shine as usual. However, there are 2 major things that bother me on an "ethical" level, if I can be so bold as use the word. Inputing a serial number on a console game is ridiculous, and release-date DLC flies in the face of what DLC is supposed to be (extending the life of a game). The former is by far the worse, and signals another step towards an attempt to stamp out used games.

Negatives aside, giving this game a 1 or a 0 is completely unfair. I get that it's an act of protest, but give credit where credit is due. This is a beautifully crafted game and a love letter to people who have been hooked by the last 2 games as much as I have. PLAY IT!
  25. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is undoubtedly the best game I have ever played. It does a brilliant job of concluding the series and everything you have ever done in the previous games adds up to a smart and satisfying finish. It's combat, never its strongest point, is spot on with tight controls and great action. The rpg elements of the first game are also back, without the terribly annoying inventoryMass Effect 3 is undoubtedly the best game I have ever played. It does a brilliant job of concluding the series and everything you have ever done in the previous games adds up to a smart and satisfying finish. It's combat, never its strongest point, is spot on with tight controls and great action. The rpg elements of the first game are also back, without the terribly annoying inventory clearing required before. The dialogue is also fantastic and your choices have the utmost importance. Occasionally, I did find that some lines were delivered awkwardly, but that was more of an issue with the sound mixer than with the actual voice actors. Furthermore, I have had occasional glitches and bugs as well, but they did not detract from the overall experience. One of the big complaints I have found so far is the ending. In my honest opinion, the ending was fantastic. it challenges the preconceived notion of a happy ending in true scifi form and, while the fate of civilizations and characters are not clearly defined, it is up to the player to conclude these threads with their own imagination, not a wall of text or a montage of cutscenes. Furthermore, there are 16 unique endings, each subtly different from the next and each depends on your actions throughout the games in the form of the EMS meter, which collects war assets gained from allies and friend made in every mass effect game. It isn't as fantastic as every character ever met playing a direct role in your endgame, but honestly, it was a great way to deal with a gargantuan series. Mass Effect 3 is fantastic and before anyone gets turned off by the user score, they should at least give it a try. Expand
  26. Mar 7, 2012
    It's quite simply everything I could hope for. Amazing presentation, beautiful graphics, epic story and intense on-the-edge-of-your-seat gameplay. You won't be disappointed.
  27. Mar 9, 2012
    Just to give some perspective, its not a 0 or a 1 nor is it 9 or a 10

Graphics- Above average some unpolished animations but not completely horrendous Gameplay-again above average , NOWHERE near Gears of war or Vanquish I would say about the same level as Uncharted 3 Sound- Again above average nothing amazing or memorable but its not rubbish either Story- this is where it gets dicey your
    Just to give some perspective, its not a 0 or a 1 nor is it 9 or a 10

Story- this is where it gets dicey your CHOICES impact parts of the game in some interesting ways but the ending is essentially the same regardless of what you do. The ending is very very disappointing and a bit of a kick in the n*ts I have no desire to replay it. Its on the level of crappiness as Lost and The matrix trilogies, there is no closure and brings up more questions. I would advise long term mass effect fans to hold on to their money and wait for a price drop or buy secondhand you owe to yourself to finish this trilogy, but don"t go in with high expectations. In many ways its a lot like Dragon age 2 a massive disappointment as far as its predecessors are concerned but a decent game nonetheless

And yes the DLC issue is messed up the character you get in my opinion is one of the best and explains quite alot, get it if you are a fan skip if you don"t care for the lore
  28. Mar 9, 2012
    Epic, chilling and suspenseful are the three words that first come to my mind when I remember this game; however, fans are no doubt going to be disappointed about the ending of this fantastic series which simply deserved something much more satisfying. Yet, no other game in recent memory has given me chills so many times throughout the story. One last gripe I have with the game is itEpic, chilling and suspenseful are the three words that first come to my mind when I remember this game; however, fans are no doubt going to be disappointed about the ending of this fantastic series which simply deserved something much more satisfying. Yet, no other game in recent memory has given me chills so many times throughout the story. One last gripe I have with the game is it doesn't quite show you all of the the war assets that you have spent all game collecting, making the ending and the beginning the weakest parts of the game, leaving an astonishing middle section that will have you in awe and ready to take back earth. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2012
    An utterly incredible game with a few minor issues and a controversial segment that (understandably) ruffled a few feathers. Gameplay feels tight and well paced, an excellent upgrade from Mass Effect 2. The amount of detail Bioware put into this game for the fans is staggering: no character, no moment, no decision from the previous games was left untouched.

Issues mainly stemmed from the

Issues mainly stemmed from the occasional buggy cutscene and from the almost non-existent mission tracking. The latter made side quests frustrating all too often.

What must be remembered when playing this game is that Bioware never set out to create a game in which you make your own story. This is their story of Mass Effect and Shepard. What you get to decide is not what that story is and how it will ultimately end, but how that story is told. I couldn't be more grateful for that.
  30. Mar 15, 2012
    Ok, I played all three games for the first time in the span of three weeks. ME3 was hardly terrible, but I can see why it seems like a major disappointment to the fanboys since ME2 was such a leap beyond the seriously-flawed ME1? Expectations were ridiculously high. The gameplay was fine, and the looting not tedious and meaningless. I suppose the passive quest selecting took time to getOk, I played all three games for the first time in the span of three weeks. ME3 was hardly terrible, but I can see why it seems like a major disappointment to the fanboys since ME2 was such a leap beyond the seriously-flawed ME1? Expectations were ridiculously high. The gameplay was fine, and the looting not tedious and meaningless. I suppose the passive quest selecting took time to get used to. The bosses were adequate. The visuals and audio were trouble-free on my PC version. The gay stuff might have been off-putting to some - sorry, the signs were there in the first two games so it just seemed like a natural á¼¹ÎµÏ Expand
  31. Mar 12, 2012
    Somehow my review was deleted. So im saying it again. I pity the fool who hates on Mass Effect 3! V. V. V. V. V. V v.
  32. Mar 13, 2012
    I think most players just got a bad ending...
    I think most players just got a bad ending...
    I got a very positive ending and I think that it was one of the best endings I ever saw. I also saw the other endings and have to say that they're pretty screwed but please don't say that the game is a 0 only because you had an ending which you doesn't like. I don't remember any game that the community ever hated that much only because it had a bad ending.
    I was totally blown away during the credits just staring at my screen, remembering what I just experienced. But it seems that I'm very alone with this kind of taste.
  33. Mar 12, 2012
    This game is just a masterpiece, the mix between nice graphics and low requirements makes it hardware friendlily as never before, great story and great combat, good job bioware.
  34. Mar 12, 2012
    Played the game twice already, it's great. Dialogs, combat, graphics, sound, and, first of all, FUN factor - are all to notch. Only couple downsides for me:
    1. Game's TOO SHORT! took me 27 hours and 12 saves to complete , and I was doing side missions. If you count cut-scenes, it makes action too short. 2. Soundtrack is BAD. In comparison to ME 1 (or even ME 2) it plain sucks. I guess they hired Clint Mansell for his name (he's composer for Requiem for a Dream, Pi, Black Swan etc), but apparently has no idea how to make music for sci-fi video game. So game suffers from extensive use of simple arrangements and primitive harmonies. Some cut-scenes with music look like taken from soap opera, no wonder people reviewing them with anger (but it's because BAD MUSIC!)
  35. Mar 13, 2012
    Was an amazing trilogy. Was an amazing game. It had it's faults, but was greater then the sum of it's parts. Foolish spoiled kids need to stop scaring game developers away from making games like this, instead of of CoD rehashed crap.
  36. Apr 13, 2012
    Oh, man. So bad. The ending is horrible, but you already know that if you haven't been living under a rock. I couldn't have been worse if "it had all been a dream", it couldn't have been worse if everyone spontaneously broke into song for the grand finale of ME - the musical episode. Or if they'd just had the wisdom to cut out the last 20 minutes. That said, that's not why I am rating thisOh, man. So bad. The ending is horrible, but you already know that if you haven't been living under a rock. I couldn't have been worse if "it had all been a dream", it couldn't have been worse if everyone spontaneously broke into song for the grand finale of ME - the musical episode. Or if they'd just had the wisdom to cut out the last 20 minutes. That said, that's not why I am rating this a 0.

The gameplay suffered badly from ME1 and even ME2: the main story skeleton is an unbelievable gimmick, and off that hang side missions that are at best so-so, with no choice in dialog and pretty bad animation (I mean, really, the running female Shepard?!)

The side missions frequently have inconsistencies (characters appearing/disappearing, physically unlikely scenarios (someone should educate the writers about mass and energy, and how if I spent half an hour defeating a mech that can kill me with one shot, a cutscene that shows everyone standing in an open shuttle looking at said mech pointing his guns at me but not shooting for a minute is pretty stupid).

I won't whine about how this could have been a great game, but it's sad to see how cheaply and easily this game could have been ten times as good.

It's a testament to how bad management can ruin great properties by killing what makes the teams that produce them good.
  37. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've given this a 8 as opposed to a 10 deliberately. Those of you that are giving the game a negative rating are completely blinded by your distaste for the conclusion ( which I also hated!) and greed (yes EA I'm talking about you and your shameless day 1 DLC, bashtards..) and are ignoring the majority of the game. It was an utterly magnificent game that executed the things it attempted to do extremely well, so if you are reading this and undecided in getting the game, yes .. it is worth it, just wait for any possible DLC that may yet redeem the incredibly confusing and lazy ending. There are some things that I did feel were missing from the game that could have been implemented and enhanced the series to the ending it really deserves. A lot of our choices amounted to weak side quests that had 1 outcome only. The romances were somewhat weak, lacked depth that Bioware has lacked since their first game in Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, especially for the ME 2 character romances e.g. Jack/Miranda/Tali Bioware could have done a LOT more here. On that note, Bioware also seems to have done away with character companion questlines completely.. I know my review sounds critical, and to be honest the game DOES deserve critisism for what it didn't do right, that being said the things it does do are done masterfully. My verdict: wait it out, don't buy this just yet if your expecting perfection, but if your looking for great entertainment go for it! Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, like Mass Effect 2 and 3. But too many damned bugs (2 mission impossible to get accomplished) and i got a bit disappointed with the ending. The ending itself is OK, but... all the choices made in 3 games became... nothing! Or at least, nothing i can see in the end. I would give it 10 if all the bugs are corrected and a decent ending (maybe the same ending but with many consequences made by previous decisions) Expand
  39. Mar 16, 2012
    Spoiler free

Plus points Gameplay - interesting map layouts and combat is even better than ME2 Story - Brilliantly happy, sad and awe inspiring moments throughout most of ME3 Your Story - the game crafts itself around your previous decisions and see many of those decisions play out in front of you Graphics - crisp and feels like you are in a real war rather than turf war characters - feel
    Spoiler free

Plus points
    Gameplay - interesting map layouts and combat is even better than ME2
    Story - Brilliantly happy, sad and awe inspiring moments throughout most of ME3
    Graphics - crisp and feels like you are in a real war rather than turf war
    characters - feel alive and can get attached to characters
    online - very much refreshing and good for occasional breaks

Negatives
    Ending - no closure, logical explanation of ending and plot holes (probably worst ending I have ever seen)
    Dialogue - extremely well done when scenes appear but much more linear than ME2 experience and less often
    Galaxy At War - makes it impossible to get the best ending without playing online and reduces your decisions to statistics rather than emotional decisions
    Navigation - can be tricky with side missions that are not highlighted on the map where they are which ends up needing using online sources or guides to find out where to go.
    Lack of exploration - you can go across the galaxy but only one location you can visit constantly no matter what which is much less than ME1 and ME2.

Overall
    Apart from the ending all the issues in ME3 are minor issues that can be easily forgiven because of the overall experience throughout except for the last section. If the ending of the mass effect 3 was satisfactory (not perfect but an improvement) I would most likely give ME3 9.0 or 10 but because of the ending putting a sour note on the entire series and damages replay value it is 7.0 till DLC or something comes along to remedy the issue
  40. Mar 21, 2012
    Bioware has once again provided a excelent game with mass effect 3. From the amazing storyline, to the perfected shooter experience, the new customizable weapons, and the multiplayer that to be honest i was a little worried about they have came through once again and provided a great game that I would recommend to anyone.
  41. Mar 20, 2012
    The fact that people are giving Mass Effect 3 a low score because they can't appreciate the ending is beyond me. You need to appreciate the game for what it is, and what it is is better than both of it's predecessors. Mass Effect 3 is smoother, bigger, and better than almost every game I've ever played. What you need to think about is how Shepard was a part of your life since the firstThe fact that people are giving Mass Effect 3 a low score because they can't appreciate the ending is beyond me. You need to appreciate the game for what it is, and what it is is better than both of it's predecessors. Mass Effect 3 is smoother, bigger, and better than almost every game I've ever played. What you need to think about is how Shepard was a part of your life since the first game was released, and become part of the game. That's what I did, and while it definitely has it's flaws, ME3 is one of the best games I have ever played, and ended my Shepard's story in an extremely satisfying way. Open your mind people, this game does not deserve a single bad review, if it did, then why didn't a single critic hate it? Get your heads out of your a**es and see the incredible finale to the sci fi epic that is Mass Effect 3 Expand
  42. Mar 20, 2012
    Can the ending ruin the journey? Well Mass Effect 3 attempts to give a definitive answer to that question, and it is a resounding yes. The ending violates everything Mass Effect stands for (i.e choice) and needs to be changed, but for that to happen you need to get the message through to Bioware, and this is a way to contribute. This saga deserves a better ending than what we got :)
  43. Apr 3, 2012
    Overall one of the best rpgs ever created. No other series or game has forced me to sit there and think about the consequences of my decisions like this one. I even spent 20 minutes explaining the backstory of a decision to my girlfriend to get her opinion on what was the right thing to do. No matter what the haters of the ending say, they all played the game to the ending for a reason.Overall one of the best rpgs ever created. No other series or game has forced me to sit there and think about the consequences of my decisions like this one. I even spent 20 minutes explaining the backstory of a decision to my girlfriend to get her opinion on what was the right thing to do. No matter what the haters of the ending say, they all played the game to the ending for a reason. They loved the series and enjoyed this game enough to see it's conclusion. The action points are fun and tense, the return of multiple previous teammates is entertaining, even the resource gathering mini-game from previous entries has been further improved to not make it so boring/repetitive. Overall, this game is an improvement in every area from the previous entries.
    As for the ending, I think lots of people are confusing anger at the ending vs. not having multiple endings. I believe the presented ending is well written and a nice conclusion to the series. I won't argue that there are some portions of the ending that are not well explained but I leave that up to Bioware to explore in future DLC and Mass Effect releases. However most people seem to be upset because no matter what you've done in the previous games, it minimally affects the outcome. This is a valid complaint but not one that should earn the scorn and purposefully low ratings this game has received.
    As for the multiplayer, I found it to be entertaining but ultimately very repetitive with later difficulty levels being set a little too high. The baseball card pack way of upgrading your gear is good in that it keeps you coming back for more and prevents you from obtaining and maxing out the best guns too early. However I swear that they purposely coded it so that you don't receive upgrades to guns you actually use. This can lead to grinding and frustration as you attempt to get the one gun/upgrade that your pining for. Added to this frustration is the difficulty of the gold difficulty levels. Gold difficulty is set up so that it can only be beat in one of two ways. Method one: obtain 3 dedicated friends, you all level your characters to max level, and then you all obtain the maximum level in the best guns in the game. This will give you less than a 50% chance to beat gold. Method two: One person goes as a specific race of a specific class, you fight a specific enemy in a specific spot on a specific level, and you manipulate the game design based on the abilities of that one class. This will give you a 75% chance of beating gold. Since the first method requires the highest levels of the best guns you're pigeon-holed into doing the second method so many times you get burnt out until you don't want to play anymore. So a good first attempt at multiplayer but definitely needs work.
  44. Mar 15, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series from the start, and running through the previous two games at least three times in for all of the achievements really allowed me to develope a relationship with many of the characters throughout the series. It is for this reason that I am fully able to appreciate the third game in the series. Many reviewers are correct when they say that this game is tooI have been a fan of the series from the start, and running through the previous two games at least three times in for all of the achievements really allowed me to develope a relationship with many of the characters throughout the series. It is for this reason that I am fully able to appreciate the third game in the series. Many reviewers are correct when they say that this game is too busy tying up loose ends instead of introducing its own. This is due to the fact that this is meant to be the last game in the series, and does not seem to be a game that you can play without experiencing the other two. there's just too much backstory and lore to do that. I admire the third-person shooting in the game, as well as the introduction to customizable weapons. There are a few hiccups while trying to get on and move from cover to cover, but the small mistakes are easily overlooked due to the impressive story-telling, amazing environments, and even the ever-present background music. I found myself smiling at jokes among the characters, and feeling somewhat depressed when things didn't turn out the way that I wanted them too. In order to fully experience the game, the first two games are essential, but the final chapter to the trilogy is definitely worth the time and money. Expand
  45. Mar 18, 2012
    I bought the game for my PC and the graphics are just amazing, I also purchased the two games for the iPad that are also linked to my PC game and affects each other, I am really glad the developers merged all of these tools/devices to work great with each other, it enhances the immersion.

The story of Mass Effect 3 is solid, the voice acting is superb, the music is hypnotizing, love the action and the easy of use. I give this game a 10 for perfect!
  46. Mar 13, 2012
    Great until you reach the end. No real closure to the series, nor is there the emotional gravity that is present throughout the rest of them game. The game is absolutely incredible on every other front, but the ending breaks the experience for this one. Sad to say that what should (and could) have been the gem of the series turned into its downfall.
  47. Mar 16, 2012
    Probably the best game I've ever played! I played ME2 eleven times and ME1 four times so I'm a huge mass effect fan and this game is undoubtedly brilliant! It is definitely worth buying, I bought the collectors edition for â
  48. Mar 20, 2012
    Im surprised how many people are saying this is a bad game because really it is good the gameplay is improved over the second one although there are less dialogue options but overall it doesnt affect the game that much there is lots to do and most side quests are very unique and are worth doing. The last hour (excluding the last 5 minutes) are very entertaining and show the desperation.Im surprised how many people are saying this is a bad game because really it is good the gameplay is improved over the second one although there are less dialogue options but overall it doesnt affect the game that much there is lots to do and most side quests are very unique and are worth doing. The last hour (excluding the last 5 minutes) are very entertaining and show the desperation. However the very end isnt necessarily bad but in my opinion and I think many others agree that it wasn't the ending I wanted and it wasn't the right ending and after you rage a little bit you just have to accept it. Overall I would recommend this game to almost everybody and if you haven't played the others and this is the one you start with the ending might not bother you as much and you play this game Expand
  49. Mar 21, 2012
    In my opinion the negative feedback from user's for this game is unfair. ME1 was excellent apart from the bugs, and I would rate it 9/10. ME2 Felt dumbed down and I missed the mako and the customisation despite loving the more active paragon/renegade elements. I have really enjoyed ME3. Had more than a few goosebumps moments and felt connected with the returning characters. James didntIn my opinion the negative feedback from user's for this game is unfair. ME1 was excellent apart from the bugs, and I would rate it 9/10. ME2 Felt dumbed down and I missed the mako and the customisation despite loving the more active paragon/renegade elements. I have really enjoyed ME3. Had more than a few goosebumps moments and felt connected with the returning characters. James didnt seem to get fleshed out at all (dlc ?)
    Given the massive odds against shepherd I had no grip with the ending. My feedback on the game I played is it didnt seem obvious to me the multiplayer was tied to galactic readiness (sure I am not the only person who missed that ?) Still miss the customisation and stats !! and The last battle should have been more epic. Only take two members to finish saving the galaxy ? No way ! And why couldnt that final push have been the team meets up, and fights an epic battle to the transport beam ? I think that was a missed opportunity. The stores also need to realise when I have a level 4 upgrade and stop selling me junk. But I honestly feel this is a great game. And I love the multiplayer (although Expensive Bioware points for packs - is I have to say a total afront when I've paid the full 35 pounds for a PC game - Thats aimed at EA ) IMHO Awesome game. Given 10 because people are being harsh giving it 0. And if the fan vids about indoctrination turn out to be true, then that is an incredible twist and precedent. Regardless - great game.
  50. Mar 21, 2012
    Game came out over two weeks ago now and I've been trying to decide what i think of it. While the ending felt a little forced and i felt a lot cheated it should be taken as a compliment to the game itself, one of the most moving and engaging experiences ever... perfection for any art form. just wish.... but we'll see with the DLC
  51. Mar 26, 2012
    I don't understand all the negative reviews on this site, mostly based around the day one DLC. If you don't want it, don't buy it. The industry is using day 1 DLC as an extra way of making some revenue, and if that is what has to be done to stop price increases on games, then fine. I did download the DLC as I am such a big ME fan that I will bite the hand off the developers like a hungryI don't understand all the negative reviews on this site, mostly based around the day one DLC. If you don't want it, don't buy it. The industry is using day 1 DLC as an extra way of making some revenue, and if that is what has to be done to stop price increases on games, then fine. I did download the DLC as I am such a big ME fan that I will bite the hand off the developers like a hungry lion for anything ME related. Admittedly the mission that comes with the pack is short, but the cutscenes included with it are amazing and give some real insight into the last days of the protheans in their war against the reapers. Plus Jarik seems to be a really interesting character with a kickass particle rifle which shepard can also use. My only advice with this weapon is not to let it run out of energy (make sure you take your finger off the trigger before that so it recharges).

I am something like 7 hours into the single player and have put 2-3 hours into the multiplayer which I have also found to be great fun.

Unfortunately due to losing my saves a while ago I am not in a position to play through all 3 games with the same character yet so I have had to import my ME2 soldier for my first ME3 playthrough but that's ok as all it means is I get to spend more time playing one of my favourite game series of all time! Not a loss in my book.

This review is based on where I am in the game right now so I can't comment on the endings yet. I am interested to see if is bad as everyone is making out though. Even if it is, I have faith that bioware will not disappoint again with their solution.
  52. Mar 26, 2012
    This is the best game to date. From the beginning until the end it surprises you. I played 1 and 2, but nr 3 is just awesome. The graphics is excellent. The story is simply out of this world. A completely new and fresh story. I get so bored with the standard endings of other games. This one will never ever be forgotten.
  53. Mar 29, 2012
    This game had some of the most Epic moments that I have ever experienced as a gamer. Yes, the ending was lacking and I hope that they come through and give us a more "Fallout" style denouement for all the races, characters, etc, but that aside, the game, writing, acting, gameplay, story arc, were all amazing. I'm replaying it right now and it's awesome AGAIN. It makes me sad that so manyThis game had some of the most Epic moments that I have ever experienced as a gamer. Yes, the ending was lacking and I hope that they come through and give us a more "Fallout" style denouement for all the races, characters, etc, but that aside, the game, writing, acting, gameplay, story arc, were all amazing. I'm replaying it right now and it's awesome AGAIN. It makes me sad that so many people are panning this game for it's last 5 minutes. It's patently unfair and childish. I've been playing since the first one, and this one was by far the one that I have the fewest complaints about (mining anyone? I'm looking at you ME2). This is a fantastic game that needs it's ending fleshed out. Loved it! Expand
  54. Mar 29, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, whichI have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, which clearly was an important part of the game to begin with, and you have one of the worst sequels in RPG history Expand
  55. Mar 29, 2012
    Best game I've ever played. People are just trolling cause most people are dumb and things easily go over their heads. People who honestly give this game zero don't know even know what a zero is anymore. The game would literally have to be unplayable. Five minutes doesn't ruin an entire experience. These people think they're entitled to whatever they want. It's not their game. The didn'tBest game I've ever played. People are just trolling cause most people are dumb and things easily go over their heads. People who honestly give this game zero don't know even know what a zero is anymore. The game would literally have to be unplayable. Five minutes doesn't ruin an entire experience. These people think they're entitled to whatever they want. It's not their game. The didn't make it. So screw em. I seriously hope Bioware doesn't sell out their artistic integrity to please a highly vocal minority. The whole series a masterpiece. Expand
  56. Apr 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is severely underrated because of its ending, everything else rocks. Sound design is flawless, graphics are pretty and solid, gameplay is fun and fast paced and the story rocks. The ending isn't actually that bad the reason i dislike it is because it is not up to the rest of the game's excellent standard.
  57. Apr 12, 2012
    An open plea to all the Meta-Critic user reviewers out there who have used their artificially low score as a metaphorical means to pound their hands and feet against the ground in a tantrum: Go Take A Nap. Seriously, people, this is a game. This is a AAA-title that's heads and shoulders above most of the crap that's sold for the same price tag. I'm extraordinarily grateful to BioWare forAn open plea to all the Meta-Critic user reviewers out there who have used their artificially low score as a metaphorical means to pound their hands and feet against the ground in a tantrum: Go Take A Nap. Seriously, people, this is a game. This is a AAA-title that's heads and shoulders above most of the crap that's sold for the same price tag. I'm extraordinarily grateful to BioWare for making a game that entertained me -- that literally made me feel like I was in a movie. And as a proud gay man entering middle age, I also want to say this --- thank you, BioWare, for giving me options that reflect me & my life & my identity. You have no idea what that means. Expand
  58. Apr 22, 2012
    Best game ever! Enjoyed myself imensely, and the ending was maybe the best part for me. Soundtrack is incredible, and the first game I have played that uses all the sound dynamics of my system (down to 20 hz). Musical score also: 10/10

Helge, Norway
  59. Aug 6, 2012
    I rented this for a solid month.While,I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon,it's certainly a good pickup if you're into it.The atmosphere is great.Every area and fight is certainly distinct.The characters and AI are great.

However,the fights and talk sequences are very monotonous.I just don't enjoy this series as much as others.The generic feel kind of throws me off. Overall

Overall Mass Effect 3 is a very good game.It has solid features and is very enjoyable.But it's more of a rental,as opposed to a buy."Mass Effect 3" gets a 7/10.
  60. Mar 6, 2012
    every thing you would expect from a ME game nice work Bioware. i dont think they could of any thing different in make this game another masterpiece from the great minds at bioware.
  61. Mar 16, 2012
    I honestly don't know why everyone is complaining... I've been following this series since Mass Effect 1, and this final installment does not disappoint.
  62. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think it's a shame that these so called "fans" have given Mass Effect 3 such a low score here in Metacritic. They are giving it anything from 0-6 simply because the last 20 minutes or so were disappointing. And yes, they are disappointing but I'm not going to rant on Bioware simply because I felt that the end destination of this series was less than satisfactory. They say "that its not the destination that matters, but the journey there is what truly matters". And you know what? I agree.

This game was payoff after payoff. It was the coup d' etat from Bioware--one which closed out the series in utter perfection (for the most part)--and I enjoyed it immensely. The graphics were fantastic if a little bit dated. The presentation was flawless. To say that this is one of the most cinematic games of all-time is an understatement. The score was fantastic. Clint Mansell and series mainstay Sam Hullick bring this finale to life, invoking all the right emotions at all the right times. This is a very balanced orchestral. At times it is somber, other times it is sinister with a hint of ominous danger. The gameplay was perfectly balanced. ME1 was more RPG than shooter and ME2 was more shooter than RPG, but ME3 is what Mass Effect has always sought to be: a perfect hybrid of shooter and RPG elements. If I could've changed something about the gameplay, I would add more side quests that weren't so reliant on avesdropping on people from the Citadel. Also, scanning for War Assests completes over 10 side quests, which is a shame, because exploring more locations during this time for turmoil (ex. The hanar, elcor, and volus homeworlds were being attacked as well; I would've loved to see the actual conflict on these places rather than overhearing it).

Anyways, the story is amazing, just as you expect from this stellar series. Most of the characters--both major and minor--return in ME3 in some form or another. These appearances, wheter it'd be a major crewmate or a cameo role, are almost always rewarding. Seeing what has become of these characters is a very satisfying aspect of this game. All of the characters, except for a select few, are given finality and closure. There are some sappy scenes to be had in ME3, but they are handled with deft precision and skill.

These scenes, if you're a true fan of the series and if you are very connected to these characters, will have you crying like very few stories can. Bioware has hit a homerun for making us care about these characters in such a personal way. It is very hard to say "goodbye" to these people that you've known for the past half a decade or so. To you & me, these people are family, friends. We care about them and the universe they inhabit.

Maybe that's why people are so angry about the ending. Bioware had a great concept for its ending, but their execution of said concept was mediocre at best. Had they put in a "happy" ending and had they shown how these characters' lives are affected by your final decision, then I think Bioware wouldn't have received any criticism whatsoever. A more elaborate ending cinematic, as well as some 5-10 minute expositional epilogue could've worked wonders for this game and the universe that both Bioware and players have built over the course of so many years. That being said, the ending closes out Shepard's story with well-enough finality that I can accept it, despite the obvious plot holes and uncertainties that are brought up by some aspects of the endings.

Am I disappointed by the ending (s)? Yes, to a certain extent, but I won't let that ruin my appreciation for this game and this series in particular. Bioshock and Fallout 3 had terrible endings. Did these games get under a 5.0 in "User Score" here on Metacritic? No, they did not. Both of those games are complete and utter materpieces and they received their own share of criticism for their endings, but not to the extent that ME3 has endured. Nevertheless, gamers want Bioware to change the ending to Mass Effect 3, even though it is not our story, it is Bioware's. Irrational Games never changed their ending and yet Bioshock is still revered as one of gaming's finest moments. Bethesda Studios, on the other hand, caved into the peer pressure of the gaming community and they tried to rectify the backlash they initially received by releasing the "Broken Steel" DLC that got rid of the original ending in favor of the new one. Gamers rejoiced, and now Fallout 3 is rightfully acclaimed as one of the greatest games of all-time as well. Will Bioware follow the example of Irrational Games or that of Bethesda Studios? We'll see. But, no matter what, I feel that Mass Effect 3 is a masterpiece and the perfect finale to one of the greatest, if not the greatest, series in the history of gaming. Thank you, Bioware, for all the memories. I can't wait to relive the trilogy, again and again, until the end of time...or gaming.
  63. Mar 8, 2012
    The graphics are better. There are more RPG elements: The power progression is more interesting, the weapon load out allows for more variations while being constrained by weight, the shops sell more interesting items, and you must dominate the whole universe against the enemy onslaught. The acting is just as superb if not better; perhaps the full body animations are better. TheThe graphics are better. There are more RPG elements: The power progression is more interesting, the weapon load out allows for more variations while being constrained by weight, the shops sell more interesting items, and you must dominate the whole universe against the enemy onslaught. The acting is just as superb if not better; perhaps the full body animations are better. The fighting is intense. In almost every way this game is an enhancement upon its predecessors. The only problem I've encountered was in the import of my character which I played from ME1 through ME2: I had to re-customize the characters facial features as they didn't import correctly. I'm sure this will be rectified, but it's a rude goof that only effects the most long term of fans. This game is awesome in every other way. It goes beyond AAA standards. Expand
  64. Mar 11, 2012
    As always, Mass Effect pushes the boundaries of game experience. The characters, lore, and depth of the universe and the sheer quality of every square inch of the game is the pinnacle of video gaming. The single-player and multi-player are both near perfect for what they are, and I'm not budging in saying that this is the greatest trilogy in the gaming world to date. That said, the endingAs always, Mass Effect pushes the boundaries of game experience. The characters, lore, and depth of the universe and the sheer quality of every square inch of the game is the pinnacle of video gaming. The single-player and multi-player are both near perfect for what they are, and I'm not budging in saying that this is the greatest trilogy in the gaming world to date. That said, the ending of the series confuses the hell out of me. Whereas I thought the ending would be about the bond between Shepard and his squad-mates in their flawed attempts at trying to survive the impossible together, this game completely deviates from that. The ending of ME3 is suicidal in that it destroys it's own legacy, a legacy greater than any other game I've played. Not sure if I can ever play Mass Effect again. Expand
  65. Apr 17, 2012
    I've finish Mass Effect 3 and i can't undersant why so many controversy about the final of this game. The end is breathtaking like the game istelf. This game is fantastic in all the ways and i loveed it. The graphics aren't the best i've seen but they
     are still good, the sound is good to, but the best things are the magnific
    story and the gameplay. The combat is
     are still good, the sound is good to, but the best things are the magnific
    story and the gameplay. The combat is awesome and  in this game it is  better a  thousand times than in the previous game.I've imported my story from the past 2 games and that is awesome, but this game is the best of them all, i mean seriously this game is an absolutely fantastic game.  This is a game that is very emocional because in the 3 games we created amazing friendships with some of the caracters, in my case i created it with Ashley, my lover, and Liara and Garrus, my two best friends.  Mass Effect 3 was the first game that i played that maked me cried, thank you Shepard, for everything. And to end this review, the most famous line of Mass Effect 3, and maby of all the three games:
    This is it isn't it? REVIEW: 10/10
  66. Mar 7, 2012
    This is for all of the people that don't like the game. I'm not a critic, and I never review games, movies, or anything, because I let people form their own opinions, but I felt this game justified it. A common complaint is that the animations are stiff. The animations have always been stiff, in every mass effect game. It's a term that (to my knowledge) was coined by Zero Punctuation,This is for all of the people that don't like the game. I'm not a critic, and I never review games, movies, or anything, because I let people form their own opinions, but I felt this game justified it. A common complaint is that the animations are stiff. The animations have always been stiff, in every mass effect game. It's a term that (to my knowledge) was coined by Zero Punctuation, called the "BioWare Face" how if you look closely enough you can almost see the characters going over the stage directions in their head. This was coined back during the Mass Effect 1 days. Another complaint is that there was DLC on launch. Is this really a problem? This allows for more story, and if you don't like it, don't get it, it's not a necessity to finish the game. For the argument of poor writing, it's not as good compared to 1 and 2 by any stretch of the imagination, but it is by no means poor, it's still good writing, it's just not great writing as seen in past BioWare RPGs, but are any games that are as good as they were a couple of years ago.

I'm not going to say get it or not, but if you are a true fan of the series you will at least rent it, don't let everyone make up your mind for you. I got the game and I love it, but a lot of people hate it. I say invest a few hours and a rental into it, if you don't like it, you can send it back, but I don't think you will be disappointed.
  67. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a touchy subject for all fans of the first two in the series. The amazing thing about this game is that it is an emotional investment, every choice that is made appears to have far reaching consequences, or at least thats what we had believed. In Mass Effect 3, by the end of the game, all the choices you made really dont change the ending all that much, which is disappointing in a way but understandable because the whole series is about one goal and the ending must be the conclusion of that goal. so as to why people are so angry... i am not too sure.

the whole game, minus the ending, is very well paced, very fun to play and pretty well written. i find the major flaws to be the lack of conversation choice, which seems to guide the player into certain paths due to the lack of choice, but its definitely not hand holding. All in all, if you played the first two and imported that character, then i am sure you will have a great time. you have invested years into this series, it had to end somehow. my only big big gripes are with Biowares laziness, in not showing talis face directly, which when shown indirectly it is a photoshopped stock picture of a girl, and the after credit scene, also a stock photo. if you are investing years and years in a very in depth series, dont cut corners like that, you can write a whole species history and back story no problem but cant design your own winter landscape? righttttttt.

play this game if you loved the first two.
  68. Mar 8, 2012
    A remarkable game in every way...... except for the endings, every single one is bad, and your choices end up not mattering. Truly a disappointment of a monumental scale. BUT I still give a 9 because everything up until the last 10 min was the single greatest game i have ever played.
  69. Mar 21, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. Exactly what Mass Effect fans have been looking forward to since 2007. The combat has been fine tuned to near perfection and the overall structure and presentation of the story gives a throwback feel to ME1. A must play for fans of the franchise and others need to at least give it a go before denouncing it as the worst game ever created. The ending does take away fromAbsolutely amazing. Exactly what Mass Effect fans have been looking forward to since 2007. The combat has been fine tuned to near perfection and the overall structure and presentation of the story gives a throwback feel to ME1. A must play for fans of the franchise and others need to at least give it a go before denouncing it as the worst game ever created. The ending does take away from the overall experience but despite that single drawback the rest of the game is fantastic. The series as a whole is a must play. Expand
  70. Mar 8, 2012
    Emotional storytelling, intense gameplay, deep and complex characterization and sky-high production values come together to deliver a perfect conclusion to the perfect trilogy.
  71. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is simply amazing! Bio ware has done a terrific job with this final installment in the mass effect series. The first mission where the reapers are attacking earth is a thrilling and excellent way to start off the game.
  72. Mar 11, 2012
    It seems that this game is either a hit or a miss for most people. I love this game and I see nothing wrong with it. I do not understand the 5.0 rating from the users. This game has good graphics, good story, and good gameplay. What more could you ask for?
  73. Mar 9, 2012
    If you liked Mass Effect 1 and 2, you will like this game. It's more of the same combat, with the return of more of the rpg elements from the first game. Planet scanning has been largely removed, and while this game is somewhat more linear than its predecessors, its still a fun, immersive, and generally well put together game.
  74. Mar 9, 2012
    This game have should be launch on November or December 2011 on the holidays, I do not know much of games engine but this got to be the best ever. So much you can do and no limitations. If you are not a fan well like Yoda said "You will be".
  75. Mar 7, 2012
    Believe the critics not the people. I don't know why all of these people are upset, because this is a great game, feels like a better version of ME2. i played it today for the whole day and it was a blast. People complain because they only remember the good things about ME1, and not the long walks back to your ship after each mission. A great ending to the series.
  76. Mar 7, 2012
    If you're reading this, than hopefully I am speaking from 1 gamer to another. There is no doubt that the Mass Effect series is one of the best trilogies I've ever played, and if you like video games, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not picking this up. All of the poor reviews on this game are due to the day 1 DLC that Bioware released, and some misplaced sense of gaming pride.If you're reading this, than hopefully I am speaking from 1 gamer to another. There is no doubt that the Mass Effect series is one of the best trilogies I've ever played, and if you like video games, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not picking this up. All of the poor reviews on this game are due to the day 1 DLC that Bioware released, and some misplaced sense of gaming pride. Speaking as a hardcore gamer that has played the game and didn't buy the DLC, it is absolutely not necessary or pivotal to the experience. The DLC is more or less an extension on an already phenomenal game, and will only be purchased by fans of the series. Regarding the actual game, the characters are voiced by an all-star cast. The game's score is fantastic and fits the game's sci-fi atmosphere. The combat is tactical and fast paced. The story is so great that you will actually want to listen to conversations and cut scenes instead of skipping them like you may do in other games.

The bottom line is, if you are a true gamer like me, don't listen to all the smoke that these reviewers are blowing. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game, and it is a shame if anybody takes the poor user score on this game seriously, because they are truly missing out on one of the best gaming trilogies of this generation.
  77. Mar 6, 2012
    Great Story and in my opinion a fitting end to the trilogy. Definitely worth playing if you have played the first and Second games because it finishes arguably one of the best Trilogies of Games this gen.
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    This HAS to be the best game ever made!!!! It looks fantastic, the gameplay is AMAZEBALLS!!! And this is just an altogether epic game. I love the beginning, and how we pick up right where we left off!!! I can't wait to see what happens. So far I AM IN HEAVEN!!! So happy, my life has meaning again!!!! I LOVE U bioware :)
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    People giving low scores for this game are just wrong just wrong, probably people just angry about the dlc or not getting the collectors edition or havent even played themselves yet. Quality game, not game of the year but definitely a must purchase
  80. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved the first and the second ME for what they were. The third mass effect seems to improve on most of things and the story/characters is what makes me give it a 10/10. I absolutely love this game and I hope that BW will continue the ME universe in some other form!
  81. Mar 8, 2012
    The culmination of a great series which has as the greatest disappointment that it is actually coming to an end! This is a game of amazing choice with only a semi-linear path from Mass Effect. through Mass Effect 2 and 3. Definitely the most defining game series that I have played with peerless Combat/RPG elements and a Grand Scale yet emotionally moving and relevant storyline. BiowareThe culmination of a great series which has as the greatest disappointment that it is actually coming to an end! This is a game of amazing choice with only a semi-linear path from Mass Effect. through Mass Effect 2 and 3. Definitely the most defining game series that I have played with peerless Combat/RPG elements and a Grand Scale yet emotionally moving and relevant storyline. Bioware deserves every accolade for having the vision and ability to craft this series from beginning to end. I have to say from a Metacritic's point of view that I'm dismayed by the consumer backlash on here which appears to be mostly out of spite regarding jealousy and dismay over Day 1 DLC. Childish IMHO! This is a great game and deserves to be reviewed without the flame war! The gaming world would be far poorer without Bioware's input Expand
  82. Mar 10, 2012
    Now, I noticed that a lot of people are giving this game a really bad score. I personally really enjoyed the game primarily because the Mass Effect Universe is one of the most detailed sci-fi universes to date. Now, this game was fantastic. Story wise, it was there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 1. Gameplay wise, it was also there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 2. Now, the reasonNow, I noticed that a lot of people are giving this game a really bad score. I personally really enjoyed the game primarily because the Mass Effect Universe is one of the most detailed sci-fi universes to date. Now, this game was fantastic. Story wise, it was there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 1. Gameplay wise, it was also there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 2. Now, the reason I am not giving this a perfect 10 was that there was something missing. The game did not have enough things to do. 22 missions, including the final missions, 7 N7 missions that were more like side quests, and only a few places to go. Now, in about 20 hours, I completed everything, thinking that this was really short for Mass Effect. Mass Effect 1 was pretty much a pool to swim in and so many things to do. Mass Effect 2 had a lot of scanning and traveling around, plus so many characters to meet. In the third one, it really just did not have as much content as all of the other games, but where it lacked in amount of content, it made up for the sheer joy the game brought me. Going around and taking down the Reapers was a challenge and there were so many satisfying moments throughout the game making it worthwhile. Now the endings were something interesting. I wont spoil it, but they are pretty cool endings if you think about the changes each one brings about to the whole galaxy. A lot of the people that are complaining about the endings are just whining because they really could not end the game on their own terms. That was the sacrifice of taking down the Reapers. There are really no happy endings when you face a powerful force that wipes out all of organic life. **** just aint easy when you are up against that. The scale of the situation makes the whole game seem so epic and the end, even though it is interesting and not an easy ending to deal with, is worth it. I highly suggest playing a very innovative series and a credit to the Sci-fi genre. Expand
  83. Mar 10, 2012
    Undeserving of the unanimously negative user scores its receiving, Mass Effect 3 is a fine game, but is hampered by some sloppy writing and laziness on the behalf of the developers. Irritating things include not being able to import my custom Shepard face from a two year old savegame and some immersion breaking bugs (helmets on, helmets off) but despite this stuff, it's still fun to play,Undeserving of the unanimously negative user scores its receiving, Mass Effect 3 is a fine game, but is hampered by some sloppy writing and laziness on the behalf of the developers. Irritating things include not being able to import my custom Shepard face from a two year old savegame and some immersion breaking bugs (helmets on, helmets off) but despite this stuff, it's still fun to play, which I guess is the most important part. For the sake of a few important details, BioWare have released a game that is above average, when it could have been so very much more. Expand
  84. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is a brilliant game. For someone whose played the previous 2, there are lots of nods and implications for previous decisions and interactions. Playing through the game and randomly running into previous squad mates or characters is a treat. The game encourages you to explore and take in everything around you.
    The Multiplayer is a lot of fun but it does have a few short comings. It points out to some of the combat issues that game has had since the beginning. Cover can still be sloppy and reviving can be a pain in the ass. Hopefully these things can be solved in the future with patches.
    The only reason I won't give this game a 10 is the ending. I won't spoil the whole thing, but no matter which ending you pick, the same thing happens. A game that asks you to make your own choices and creates your own path leads to a very linear, scripted ending. I'm left asking more questions and demanding closure in what should have been a perfect 10 game.
  85. Mar 28, 2012
    Dropped my rating from a 10 because of the ending, which insults every ME fan who has invested 100's of hours in this series

EA ruining Bioware? sure looks that way...
  86. Mar 9, 2012
    It was a fully engaging game. I actually felt stressed out when Shepard would be stressed out. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a better rating was the untied strings at the end. The writing at the end also seemed a bit rushed. More thought and time could have provided a more concise and well thought ending. Instead you get an unsatisfying ending with barely anyIt was a fully engaging game. I actually felt stressed out when Shepard would be stressed out. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a better rating was the untied strings at the end. The writing at the end also seemed a bit rushed. More thought and time could have provided a more concise and well thought ending. Instead you get an unsatisfying ending with barely any explanation. Even the choices at the end are poorly thought out. The game had quite enjoyable combat, and I hated ME2's combat. This game was very similar to ME2 in that you have to find help throughout the whole game. However, the story feels like it progresses forward in this game, as opposed to ME2. Also i thought this "galaxy readiness" thing was going to be awesome. Thinking you'd be able to maneuver troops around and actually fight the reapers using strategy and having to sacrifice certain areas while keeping others alive.... but no. You have to download DLC and i refuse to so I don't even know what it does. This game had the potential to rock everything I loved about videogames but you could still feel a rushed element present. I really did like this game and its a good finish, kind of akin to the ending to Battlestar Galactica or Lost. It's a good buy and an indication that Bioware hasn't (entirely) sold out to EA...yet. Expand
  87. Mar 8, 2012
    So I thought the game was pretty good. I found the combat to be less repetative then the last game and required some more tactics. Also the game does a good job of setting up the mood and maintaining that feeling of desperation. My only problem seems to be the same problem everyone else has with this game and that is the endings, they are far too simple and give no real explanation whatsoever.
  88. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was excited about Mass Effect 3 since the day I heard about it, and wanted to see how the series would end. Once I got the game, I was happy and managed to get a large amount of enjoyment from it. (For the most part) The game-play was solid and fun, there a lot of enjoyable and memorable moments in the story that brought a smile to my face, The music is great as always, most of the environments were eye-catching, and I had alot of fun with multiplayer as well.; All of these made the game wonderful and memorable experience for me. Not to say the game doesn't have problems it does (most have been mentioned such as the animation problems, bad dialogue at times, only two options dialogue options for most of the game etc.) most of them were minor and excusable for me as overall I was having a wonderful time with the game. The game has problems, most i was willing to forgive and forget because I was enjoying the overall experience and was very much immersed without being bothered by these flaws. However, if there was one problem that I had with the game that I was unable to forgive it's the game's conclusion that nearly ruined that game for me. Without trying to spoil anything, I found the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be incredibly disappointing and inexcusable. Why? Well, from this reviewer's viewpoint (along with many others I believe) It doesn't give the game (or the gamer) any sort of closure and makes all the progress and choices made in not only this game but as well as the two prequels, mean nothing. I found myself at a loss of words on the way game ended (There are 3 endings, each with minor variations but I found it mattered very little either way because each of the endings end the same way.)

So yeah, I liked Mass Effect 3 and I found it to be a good game with some wonderful and memorable moments but along with some hiccups, flaws, and a very disappointing conclusion(s). The thing is that I expected to be a great game and wanted to love it! But the game's ending(s) prevented me from saying so. It's a good game had me immersed and engaged for a majority of the game but it's not perfect and has it's flaws. I don't think it is deserving of 0/10 but that's just my two-cents.
  89. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having just beat the game I feel like it's still a great game, but I also feel like Bioware has lost their ability to tell a truly amazing story. The whole Cerberus angle doesn't really make a lot sense throughout the game; it seems Cerberus is there just so you have something besides Reaper forces to kill. Several of the interactions you can have with former team mates from ME2 feel fake or out of place, and lastly the ending is just a huge let down. Killing the protagonist is a great way to end a story if it fits, but in this case, it just doesn't work. Expand
  90. Mar 10, 2012
    A great story. A brilliant ending and a masterpiece from Bioware. Ð
  91. Mar 11, 2012
    Superb game in almost every aspect. It upgrades dull and slow combat from the second game and brings it to life. Very fast paced and very responsive. Engine is brilliant with the loading screens being rapid in almost every transition. Story was very gripping per usual with any Bioware game. The RPG elements are outstanding and enjoyed every piece of content this game has thrown at me fromSuperb game in almost every aspect. It upgrades dull and slow combat from the second game and brings it to life. Very fast paced and very responsive. Engine is brilliant with the loading screens being rapid in almost every transition. Story was very gripping per usual with any Bioware game. The RPG elements are outstanding and enjoyed every piece of content this game has thrown at me from the beginning. Absolutely loved this game. It's a great end to a brilliant trilogy. - On a side note, the ending is really down to your opinion, most negative reviews are from complete trolls who bash the game down to it's last 10-15 minutes. Some fans were disappointed and some weren't. A game should not be viewed negatively for it's ending because that is down to personal opinion. 99% of this game is brilliant yet it should be negatively scored down to it's last 1%? Quite simply these trolls need to grow up and get out of the habit of making drama over EA/Bioware. Expand
  92. Mar 20, 2012
    After the first of this series, I was hooked. The Mass Effect franchise was the thing a cared about most in video games, and I was not disappointed with ME3. The game starts off quick and hooks you immediately and the story progresses as fast or a slow as you want it to depending on how many of the side quests you partake in. Some of the side quests did feel boring but the boring onesAfter the first of this series, I was hooked. The Mass Effect franchise was the thing a cared about most in video games, and I was not disappointed with ME3. The game starts off quick and hooks you immediately and the story progresses as fast or a slow as you want it to depending on how many of the side quests you partake in. Some of the side quests did feel boring but the boring ones were quick, so the gripe is a small one. But the priority missions are where its at, there insanely fun and none of the missions disappointed me. There are three main enemies in this game, each diverse and different from one another (Cerberus, Geth, and of course the Reapers). The multi-player is fun and a great little edition, this is still very much a single player game though. And despite what most people are saying, in my opinion the decisions you made in ME2 and the original do impact your game. If you expected them to have a massive impact then I guess you'll be disappointed, but it does affect the way certain characters treat you, and which characters carry on into Mass Effect 3. Another complaint I keep hearing about is the ending, I could see where people would complain about the ending of ME3, but I thought it was a beautiful way to end the series. The ending would have been more well received if Mass Effect 3 was a movie, because its not your typical video game ending in any way shape or form. Aside from some short but boring side quests there is one more gripe, you will often times find yourself rolling instead of jumping in and out of cover, this for me was really annoying and is pretty much the reason why I'm giving the game a 9 instead of a 10. But overall, this was a fantastic way to end the series and I was not disappointed in the least, a must buy in my opinion. Expand
  93. Mar 25, 2012
    After reading all of the user reviews, I question if they even know what they are saying. Would you petition an author to rewrite a book just because it didn't have an ending you liked? No. Mass Effect 3 has superseded all of my expectations and hopes I have grown since the first day Mass Effect 1 came out. The story is impressively extensive, and the combat has somehow improved upon theAfter reading all of the user reviews, I question if they even know what they are saying. Would you petition an author to rewrite a book just because it didn't have an ending you liked? No. Mass Effect 3 has superseded all of my expectations and hopes I have grown since the first day Mass Effect 1 came out. The story is impressively extensive, and the combat has somehow improved upon the second. Many critisize the ending, and many give the game a "0" just because BioWare released downloadable content day one that was on the disc. What do I say? Don't buy the content, haha! It is embarrasing to have such whiners in the community, I truly believe they are all great people, smart, and are intelligent, but I believe people are losing themselves over a franchise they were so obsessed with, that because the ending left some questions unanswered, that because the ending was so out of their reach, they want to have one cohessive thought, and that (for some reason) is to complain. The game itself is not broken like some idiots try to reason, which is beyond me. The story is a masterpiece among modern games, a pinnacle of unventured futures of scifi epics, one that can rival that of Star Wars and Star Trek. Do NOT let the negative reviews get you down, and just play it. Expand
  94. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An amazing end to the Commander Shepard story. Solid gameplay and epic cinematic moments make it a solid game. Great story too. All the people who say that this game ruins the entire series for them obviously aren't really fans of the series or are just trolls trying to get a rise out of people. The ending was great in my opinion, the one i picked (synthesis) is great, the other 2 are just good. And if nobody saw Commander Shepards sacrifice coming and were hoping for the bulls*** happy "oh he retires and lives a happy life." than they dont get the heroes journey. Expand
  95. Apr 11, 2012
    Possibly the greatest game ever made and undoubtedly the greatest action-RPG of all time. This game serves as a perfect ending to the trilogy, and nearly every mission is epic in scale. The writing and dialogue is nothing short of perfection and the story carries itself strongly from beginning to end. Don't listen to the hate regarding the ending... just play the game and decide forPossibly the greatest game ever made and undoubtedly the greatest action-RPG of all time. This game serves as a perfect ending to the trilogy, and nearly every mission is epic in scale. The writing and dialogue is nothing short of perfection and the story carries itself strongly from beginning to end. Don't listen to the hate regarding the ending... just play the game and decide for yourself. I am not going to pretend like it doesn't have it's flaws, but its flaws are so insignificant that the outcry is utterly unjustified. Expand
  96. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, I will come out and say that Mass Effect 3 is the best game I have ever played. It's damn near perfect, and the few flaws it has are forgivable compared to the epic scope, brilliant writing, and fantastic ending. Yes, I do think the ending was fantastic. I understand the frustration that the endings were basically all the same, but it's a damn good ending. It's properly emotional and heartbreaking, and once again epic. Yes, the ending wasn't influenced by whether you spared the Rachni Queen or not, or if you saved the Council, or what squad members survived the suicide mission, but the game was. Garrus was my most frequently used squadmate in ME3 but if I had put him in the vents at the end of ME2, he wouldn't have been there at all. There was an entire mission influenced by the Rachni. I met with my council multiple times. But let's not forget that ME3 is an amazing game all by itself. The combat is now better than even the best dedicated third-person shooters, and the story and decisions are more important than ever. I cured the genophage. I saw one of my best friends commit suicide. I destroyed the Reapers. So stop complaining about then ending for the most shallow reasons. And even if you were disappointed by the ending, stop giving an admittedly great game a 0 because of it. A zero is Superman 64, or Ninjabread Man, not one of the best games of all time. I hope you realize that by giving this game a zero, you are being the immature ones in this situation, not BioWare or EA. BioWare is more proud of Mass Effect than anything else they have ever made. They have been developing ME3 since before ME2 came out, and if they wanted to have your choices drastically impact the ending, they could have. But they thought this was better. My final point is that it is a great games, and you know it. So why all the zeros? Expand
  97. Mar 30, 2012
    This game could have been a masterpiece but the final result is only a forgettable mix of bugs, holes in a childish plot with the "wish" to be serious, a ton of shadows and emphasis everywhere, no exploration, no puzzles, flat dialogues and the worst ending in videogame history. In certain things it could deserve a 11 but in others not more than a -20 so my balance is 0. Nothing more thanThis game could have been a masterpiece but the final result is only a forgettable mix of bugs, holes in a childish plot with the "wish" to be serious, a ton of shadows and emphasis everywhere, no exploration, no puzzles, flat dialogues and the worst ending in videogame history. In certain things it could deserve a 11 but in others not more than a -20 so my balance is 0. Nothing more than a "project" of a game, an interesting project never terminated and poorly done, or at least that's not good to be released like this. Expand
  98. Mar 12, 2012
    First of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven'tFirst of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven't spent a $ on this game and everything u play is worth a 10 no metter what!!!Second i have to say that the game is really good!!The combat is great and gives u nice moments,the cinematics are beautiful and the decisions u take IN THIS GAME seem relevant in crucial moments...The script sometimes was rly boring but it had moments of excellence....I found the design very good and sometimes jaw-dropping.The graphics are those of ME2 with some better details maybe...So all and all is a very solid shooter but not a solid RPG (and i'm sorry to say this)....Side missions are rly good but u never get the sense of need to explore more because there is nothing too explore only scanning isnt enough.So it is a good shooter but a poor RPG!!!Third:The decisions of the previous games doesnt really matter in a big way and thats was a really big letdown for everybody i think...im not putting spoilers here but take my word on this.U feel really happy when u see that smthg u did in the previous games shows up,but that doesnt happen often and thats a big letdown too!!Fourth and most important thing: the ending.This is the best trilogy ever created with the worst ending.Dont get me wrong i liked the idea and that was my idea of a great ending but the execution of it was bad really bad and many people know what I'm talking about!!I'm a big fan of the series and have played the whole trilogy so i understand all the others who gave this game bad votes...The first day DLC is a scandal...And the ending is almost as scandalous....But after 1 night of thinking i have come up with my conclusion!!THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE...u would say why??Because they want more money and they want u to buy an another DLC that maybe will show what really happens when ME ends ;)!!Im sorry to say this and i would be disgusted if smthg like this happened!!Ultimately im judging this game on a ME rating scale...and that's a 7...if this game was a stand alone with a declared sequel it would be easily a 9 or 9.5!!Thank u for reading I'm sorry for my poor vocabulary but I'm not American nor British.Cheers to all!!! Expand
  99. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only problem for me was that I expected that all the things ive done in the previous games of the franchise would count in the end and bring me a greater choice of endings. Although the conclusion itself seems to be logical and relatively adequate to the universe of Mass Effect, still it is not what most have expected. The problem is that Bioware have sky rocketed the expectations of everyone, almost taunting community with "more than 100 variables will have an impact" (and to the be fair - these "1000 variables" can be actually seen as you progress through the game) but not realizing that their view of how should the trilogy end differs from players views. We wanted and most expected a spectacular ending, with either a straight forward happy end or everyone-in-the-galaxy-die end, but were granted relatively philosophical and rather sophisticated conclusion, leaving us with a few important and unanswered questions. At the end of the day the dramatic ending to such an epic game is not what you usually see ot expect and this is probably why so many shepards are upset about it.
    So the expectations and promises were not quite met. Still, ME3 deserves its credit because of all the effort that was put into it. I would give it 9 out of 10.

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.