Mass Effect 3 Xbox 360

5.8

1. Mar 18, 2012
    ME3 is an outstanding game, don't get me wrong. Each clue episode is as heart-touching as ever, dialogues are excellently written (for the most part), and the whole emotional impact is so huge, that i couldn't handle myself and cried several times. But...
    But. The ending. It's not bad at all. It's even metaphorical and very surrealistic. OK. But i personally play Mass Effect not for it's symbolical content, but for it's straightness with a player. It's deep connection with you and the Big Story is one of the most important parts of the series. The motivation is important. This ending has no motivation at all. It feels unfinished and frustrating. Why do we play 85+ hours of the greatest adventure in gaming history? We were given the right to choose. And it was very well made, indeed. The ending of ME3 doesn't give you a satisfaction, because there is no choice at all. Some pointless images, highly metaphorical (and profoundly disconnected with the whole series) scenes, and then... It ends. Are you really sure?..
    It's supposed to be a trilogy, right? And why do i feel, that the last scenes are bad jokes? It seems for me, that the "Epilogue" DLC will be the right decision.
    Please, Bio Ware. There is nothing to be ashamed. You did a great job. But the ending confused too many of us. You may not rewrite it, but you still can correct it.
    I still recommend this game to everyone with a good taste and open heart and mind. But, first of all, play the previous two installations, and then proceed to this one. Maybe, by the time you finish it, we'll get the proper ending...
  2. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm torn, and deeply saddened by the ending. Mass effect 2 was the best game I've ever played to date, and I flat out loved every second of that game. I absolutely loved mass effect three practically the entire game. Loved the voice acting, combat, and much of the writing, but the ending just flat out disappointing me. I was expecting the endings to be vastly different from each other, butI'm torn, and deeply saddened by the ending. Mass effect 2 was the best game I've ever played to date, and I flat out loved every second of that game. I absolutely loved mass effect three practically the entire game. Loved the voice acting, combat, and much of the writing, but the ending just flat out disappointing me. I was expecting the endings to be vastly different from each other, but they're pretty much the exact same ending over and over again. I feel like the choices I made in the previous two games really didn't matter at all. Regardless of the giant letdown at the ending, I still loved the game and enjoyed every second of it to ending. Expand
  3. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a good game, but abandons many of the series's staples about half way through the game. The conversation wheel was which was a staple of the last two game is all but abandoned about half way through the game for more linear conversations. Talking to squad members on the Normandy in between missions is turn into a series of stocked conversation with no way to pick theMass Effect 3 is a good game, but abandons many of the series's staples about half way through the game. The conversation wheel was which was a staple of the last two game is all but abandoned about half way through the game for more linear conversations. Talking to squad members on the Normandy in between missions is turn into a series of stocked conversation with no way to pick the dialog. Another staple that is lost are the Paragon and Renegade points. They are instead replaced with Reputation points which are earned despite the decisions you make. Another minor problems include a less detailed mission journal, which does not tell the how far you have progressed on your missions, but instead just give you a summary of the mission. Changes to the combat system such as weapon selection and modding are a welcome median from the two or three weapons per category in ME2 and the ridiculous over abundance of weapons and mods from ME. The weight vs. power recharge times is great way to make sure players are not over powered with weapons and unlimited fast recharging powers. The new ability to roll away make the actual combat more like Gears of War with powers, which is not a bad thing. The ending(s) does leave something to be desired, mainly an overall explanation of what is happening after you make your final choice. Expand
  4. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm going to get straight to the point with this. It is OVER now EA / Bioware. You will get not one single penny more from me. EA / Biowares shameless and cynical manipulation of loyal gamers has gone too far. I've been with this series from the very start. Mass Effect 1 was a triumph even with its flaws. Mass Effect 2 was good, but it lacked some of the heart of the original and it wasI'm going to get straight to the point with this. It is OVER now EA / Bioware. You will get not one single penny more from me. EA / Biowares shameless and cynical manipulation of loyal gamers has gone too far. I've been with this series from the very start. Mass Effect 1 was a triumph even with its flaws. Mass Effect 2 was good, but it lacked some of the heart of the original and it was also the beginning of the money grabbing EA is notorious for. Mass Effect 3 is good, but has had almost all its heart and soul ripped away (with a few exceptions) and has finally confirmed what everyone knew, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! There is so much I want to rant about but I'm just going to stick with one example. DAY ONE DLC. Why is this not in my game already? Why am I paying an extra £7 for access to this on top of the £40 I've already spent for the game? With the script leaks and art book leaks everyone knows that this character was part of the game. Yet still EA / Bioware deny. How stupid do they think we are? I know that I don't have to buy this content. I know that I can say "no". It's the manipulation and disrespect that EA shows to gamers that angers me. I would of given this game 8 out of 10 if I wasn't feeling quite so furious. I just hope that someone within EA / Bioware can put their ruthless pursuit of profit aside long enough to show some respect to customers and start making truly great, innovative, RPGs again. Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2012
    Doesn't do what the series promised from the start, make your choices matter. We and the series deserved better. BAD BAD BAD ending! Keep saying to my self after I beat the game, "What a horrible game!" The non-ending really puts a damper on the whole series. Feel like I wasted my time since the first one (and I LOVED the first two games)I I assumed I would learn how MY choices changed theDoesn't do what the series promised from the start, make your choices matter. We and the series deserved better. BAD BAD BAD ending! Keep saying to my self after I beat the game, "What a horrible game!" The non-ending really puts a damper on the whole series. Feel like I wasted my time since the first one (and I LOVED the first two games)I I assumed I would learn how MY choices changed the Mass Effect galaxy.And no I wasn't expecting too much, but was expecting SOMETHING, ANYTHING! EA better not try to sell a DLC ending or I will officially declare Bioware a EA money grab casualty. At least right now their good reputation still has them on life support. But I think the writings on the wall. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2012
    An excellent game all around, polishing and refinig the mechnanics of ME2 and reintroducing elements people enjoyed from ME1. For the most part it is a well structured game, atmospheric and intense with a cast of well written characters and high stakes narrative.

Sadly, the ending is a complete waste of time. It is the Epiosde One of videogames. It is a badly written, nonsensical mess that aims to be bittersweet, but is just infuriaritng in its slackness and rushes nature. The ending is so bad that it drags down the entire perception of the game, and to a lesser exteent the rest of the series too.

I give this game 7/10 on the basis that while 95% of the title was exceptional, the remaining 5% was so terrible, such an utter betrayal of not only the series but even basic storytelling, that is taints the reast of the game.
  7. Mar 16, 2012
    An otherwise flawless game marred by a lack of catharsis. On the gameplay front, this is a perfect game: everything you do in combat feels right, and even the recently added multiplayer is sleek as hell. For the most part, the story is just as fantastic, using five years of built tension to masterful effect. However, the ending features a mind screw of a plot twist that feels wrong givenAn otherwise flawless game marred by a lack of catharsis. On the gameplay front, this is a perfect game: everything you do in combat feels right, and even the recently added multiplayer is sleek as hell. For the most part, the story is just as fantastic, using five years of built tension to masterful effect. However, the ending features a mind screw of a plot twist that feels wrong given the context. In no way does the ending fulfill the expectations laid out by the prior two games or the promises of the devs, instead resembling a rejected premise from Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. My advice? Stop playing before the final mission and wait until BioWare rectifies the conclusion. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    Spoiler free

Plus points Gameplay - interesting map layouts and combat is even better than ME2 Story - Brilliantly happy, sad and awe inspiring moments throughout most of ME3 Your Story - the game crafts itself around your previous decisions and see many of those decisions play out in front of you Graphics - crisp and feels like you are in a real war rather than turf war characters - feel
    Spoiler free

Plus points
    Gameplay - interesting map layouts and combat is even better than ME2
    Story - Brilliantly happy, sad and awe inspiring moments throughout most of ME3
    Graphics - crisp and feels like you are in a real war rather than turf war
    characters - feel alive and can get attached to characters
    online - very much refreshing and good for occasional breaks

Negatives
    Ending - no closure, logical explanation of ending and plot holes (probably worst ending I have ever seen)
    Dialogue - extremely well done when scenes appear but much more linear than ME2 experience and less often
    Galaxy At War - makes it impossible to get the best ending without playing online and reduces your decisions to statistics rather than emotional decisions
    Navigation - can be tricky with side missions that are not highlighted on the map where they are which ends up needing using online sources or guides to find out where to go.
    Lack of exploration - you can go across the galaxy but only one location you can visit constantly no matter what which is much less than ME1 and ME2.

Overall
    Apart from the ending all the issues in ME3 are minor issues that can be easily forgiven because of the overall experience throughout except for the last section. If the ending of the mass effect 3 was satisfactory (not perfect but an improvement) I would most likely give ME3 9.0 or 10 but because of the ending putting a sour note on the entire series and damages replay value it is 7.0 till DLC or something comes along to remedy the issue
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had 24 hours of the best single player I've played on the 360. But, the ending is just so unbelievably awful (up there with Matrix Revolutions). It leaves you with the feeling that all the decision making of the past 3 games was completely pointless; it has spoiled the series for me and it's a shame because it was amazing up until then. How do Bioware and EA expect to sell the DLC after this is beyond me. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    Oh, contrasting emotions.... I love Mass Effect, I've sunk huge chunks of my life into it, and now... I feel quite empty. First, the good. Combat is the best it's been all series, with vastly improved level design, weapons -both in terms of feel, customisation and variety. Ai is also much improved and much more aggressive, making for more mobile, frantic skirmishes than in camp-friendlyOh, contrasting emotions.... I love Mass Effect, I've sunk huge chunks of my life into it, and now... I feel quite empty. First, the good. Combat is the best it's been all series, with vastly improved level design, weapons -both in terms of feel, customisation and variety. Ai is also much improved and much more aggressive, making for more mobile, frantic skirmishes than in camp-friendly ME2. Squadmate interaction and banter aboard the Normandy is wonderful and this is where the true spirit of ME is fulfilled and is the game's pinnacle. Now, the bad: It's evident from the opening scene there is much less chance to control what comes out of Shepard's mouth, and whilst some times this makes sense to improve the flow of scenes for the more banal 'Let's get going' stuff, there are far too many instances of 'your' character acting out of it. The lack of any vehicle sections limits variety; there are a lot of awkward animations, lip-syncing is terrible, and the soundtrack lacking Jack Wall is underwhelming.

Still the game does give you some pretty major decisions, and all the while you feel the urgency of trying to unite and save the galaxy building to a poignant, desolate feeling as you leave the Normandy for the final time. And this is where it all goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Mass Effect is a game that has dealt with a lot of major issues and themes, and overriding it all was the ability to choose, As you reach the end, you're given an insultingly idiotic run-down on why this is all happening and asked to choose one of 3 choices, which are baffling and completely at odds with everything you've done and been bought through the 3 games to believe. And end that not only offers no closure, no vision of what became of some of your beloved team-mates, whilst shoe-horning in colossal plot-holes. It essentially renders everything you've strived for and accomplished to irrelevance.

As a culmination to a trilogy that offered the promise of choices carrying over and through 2 whole games, Bioware was always going to fall short of expectations. However for the most part ME3 offers a very fine ending to the series.... that is until you get to the end.
  11. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a massive ME fan I loved the first two games and played them countless times and put so many hours into these games and I was obviously excited when ME3 was announced thinking of what to expect from one if not the best sci fi games of all time. Then I played me3...I am not even going to speak about the ending as I think everybody has that covered. But this review is about everything else that I was annoyed with. In ME3 it felt rushed not like the other Mass Effect games because they were so well thought out and you could lose yourself in the great adventures that Shepard and the crew got into. Picking the way conversations flowed and picking to be a bad a$$ or a good guy in certain situations. It felt like Bioware got bored or ran out of ideas for ME3 and just pushed you all the way to the end with no real structure to the game. There wasnâ Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2012
    I am a huge fan of Sci-fi and RPGs, but this one is such a boring experience...can't believe it got a great score by all critics.
    It's a full load of cinematics (which can't even be skipped) and then when you finally get to play, you have to do always the same old stuff you did in ME1 and ME2 over and over again.
    Played for 5 hours and don't know if I wanna play it again...pure boredom :(
  13. Mar 16, 2012
    In a sense this game is like you're on a roller-coaster and at the end your feet catch a wire somewhere and get cut off. It was fun right there till the end, and now you're just like f*** that s***. Other than the ending my biggest complaint about this game is that they totally screwed up the "Mission Journal" (those of you that have played know what I'm talking about), however that canIn a sense this game is like you're on a roller-coaster and at the end your feet catch a wire somewhere and get cut off. It was fun right there till the end, and now you're just like f*** that s***. Other than the ending my biggest complaint about this game is that they totally screwed up the "Mission Journal" (those of you that have played know what I'm talking about), however that can be overlooked. Other than that the only thing left to complain about is how much less dialog choices there are compared to previous games, but I can overlook that too given how good the game is other than the ending(of course). There's more things I could complain about, but after that it's just more being nit-picky than anything else.

Also contrary to popular opinion the day-one DLC is not actually crucial to the game, it certainly adds to the experience, but it needs to be criticized for being overpriced more than anything else.

In summarization: the game is almost a masterpiece up until the surprise Cleveland Steamer you get at the end.
  14. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In general Mass Effect 3 is a good game. However static journal entries, day one DLC that contained a very important lore character, and an ending that leaves questions without answers ruins this game. The ending is the major flaw in the game as it makes any choice you made during the whole trilogy void not to mention it's plot-hole heavy. you won't feel like making another playthrough after you beat the game for the first time. Expand
  15. Mar 15, 2012
    It's really unfortunate that Bioware decided to end their series like this. As enjoyable as the first 2/3rds of the game was, it will only be remembered for its WTF ending. The coop was also a solid addition in my opinion. I'd love to see more horde modes with RPG mechanics.
  16. Mar 15, 2012
    Seriously, I know a lot of you are trying to prove a point on how disappointed you were with the ending, but 1's and 0's? Do you have any idea of how bad and broken a game would have to be to rightfully deserve a 1 or 0 score? You're just being childish. The game play mechanics are exactly what you would expect after 1 and 2, which is fine. The playtime length is just as long if not a bitSeriously, I know a lot of you are trying to prove a point on how disappointed you were with the ending, but 1's and 0's? Do you have any idea of how bad and broken a game would have to be to rightfully deserve a 1 or 0 score? You're just being childish. The game play mechanics are exactly what you would expect after 1 and 2, which is fine. The playtime length is just as long if not a bit longer than 2. Voice acting was great (at least with the main characters) and the overall story was superb excluding the ending. Graphics were alright other than some texture pop ups, but that's do to the 360 hardware being outdated. My year old laptop has way better specs than the 360. The multiplayer is enjoyable, nothing truly groundbreaking other than that your progress reflects in the singleplayer. I don't think I've seen a game do that before so that's pretty cool. So that's most of the good, on to the bad. I played 1 and 2 on pc so couldn't import my game. I thought by picking Kaidan and not choosing "Numerous" in the Deaths option I'd be fine. But no, even when I chose just Kaidan most of my team was dead already. Wrex, Jack, Grunt, Thane, Samara, Legion, and Zaeed... all dead presumably, or at least nowhere to be seen in the default none import campaign. A few bugs here and there in conversations, also finished a couple sidemissions that didn't register complete so I had to do them a second time. Now to the ending, what all these 0 scoring trolls are whining about. A big problem for me is there wasn't a final boss battle. In the last mission you kinda just fight your way through hordes of normal enemies 'til you get to the final area and cut scenes. For it being the last mission of the game, finishing it didn't really feel like much of an accomplishment. Then you get to the end and the whole Reaper situation is explained to you. I actually thought that part was pretty great. The problem though is after that you get to make one of 3 decisions and no matter which one you choose they are the same ending cinematic with slight tweaks depending on what you chose to do. Don't believe me, check youtube for the endings. Shepard does 1 of 3 actions and then it's all the same cutscene after that unless you picked destroy, then you get a few extra seconds which are not really exciting. The lack of drastic differences in the endings just makes it seem like BioWare got lazy or ran out of ideas. In either case it makes the game feel like none of the decisions I made really had any impact on the outcome of the story, which is defiantly a letdown. That being said it was the last 3 minutes of a game that I had previously spent around 26-27 hours enjoying. Disappointing but not game breaking. Then there was the part after the credits. I don't even know why this was included. Maybe it was meant to be a twist, but it came across as cheesy and kind of stupid. Anyways, it was a good game. The ending was pretty lacking but I still enjoyed playing it. Worth a zero? I think not. Grow up and get over yourself. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2012
    Ok, I played all three games for the first time in the span of three weeks. ME3 was hardly terrible, but I can see why it seems like a major disappointment to the fanboys since ME2 was such a leap beyond the seriously-flawed ME1? Expectations were ridiculously high. The gameplay was fine, and the looting not tedious and meaningless. I suppose the passive quest selecting took time to getOk, I played all three games for the first time in the span of three weeks. ME3 was hardly terrible, but I can see why it seems like a major disappointment to the fanboys since ME2 was such a leap beyond the seriously-flawed ME1? Expectations were ridiculously high. The gameplay was fine, and the looting not tedious and meaningless. I suppose the passive quest selecting took time to get used to. The bosses were adequate. The visuals and audio were trouble-free on my PC version. The gay stuff might have been off-putting to some - sorry, the signs were there in the first two games so it just seemed like a natural á¼¹ÎµÏ Expand
  18. Mar 14, 2012
    I love, Mass Effect. It's addicting, it's funny, and the story is perfect. But will Mass Effect 3, be the best out of all of them?

Single-player: We start with Commander Shepard, on Earth. Just in time for, the Reapers to attack. So he has to go out into space, fighting Cerberus, Geth, Reapers, and build his army to stop them from, destroying every intelligent life-form in, the Milky Way. The story is, pretty simple. Gather your team, and kill the enemy. No pressure, you've been doing this since the first game. Except, it's bigger, and, youâ
  19. Mar 14, 2012
    Overall a very solid game. I have been a fan/player since ME1 and ME2. Played through both at least 5 times. Already on new game + for ME3. Game play is good, not great, but just as good as ME2. Weapons, classes, squad-mates are good. Wish I could have a few more of the old favorites (I won't mention for people who didn't get to certain spots in the game yet). In effect, very closeOverall a very solid game. I have been a fan/player since ME1 and ME2. Played through both at least 5 times. Already on new game + for ME3. Game play is good, not great, but just as good as ME2. Weapons, classes, squad-mates are good. Wish I could have a few more of the old favorites (I won't mention for people who didn't get to certain spots in the game yet). In effect, very close visually to ME2 (bit better IMHO) and same goes for game play. Enemies are challenging and different. There are some surprising outcomes and you don't always get to be the "good guy (Paragon)" if you want to get the best outcome. I'm a little annoyed about the Effect Combat Readiness stuck at 50% without extra play (MP, some iOS game, etc.) I think I did almost everything and the best I could get was around 3800. I also bought the guide too (highly recommend or at least the online IGN or Wiki). Endings I've seen so far are a bit weak for the series. I thought they would put more into it. But I have a feeling this isn't the end of ME (or even Shepard perhaps). Maybe EA pushed BioWare to setup for a fourth in the series. Who knows. Definitely has re-playability, so I recommend a buy vs. rent. Also with a buy you get 2 day gold pass for MP (if you don't have an Xbox live account). First DLC is good too, but really should have been included in the main game. Expand
  20. Mar 14, 2012
    Like many of the people here, I've been a fan of the series since day one. I fell in love with the awesome storyline, the vast amount of decisions and the immense depth in the characters. When I heard that you can import your character to Mass Effect 2 and 3 I nearly climaxed.

But about the third installment, I loved nearly the entirety of it. I don't find the "3 shots to a weak spot to kill a reaper" thingy at all distubing. The codex (read it, 0 voters?) said that there are different classes of reapers, and the one on Rannoch was obviously a lesser one. I don't get all this "dead squad members coming back to life" - hassle. In my first game (I was young and foolish) Wrex died, and remained dead in the third. Clearly some players experience bugs, corrupted savegames or just a deep hatred for everything EA that they have to complain about everything.

The reason I give this game a 7, and not the 9 it would deserve is for the ending. Seriously, Bioware?
    I loved the feeling of the whole galaxy having one common enemy, and everything in me longed for the moment we blow the reapers sky high, only to learn that in the end the reapers weren't necessarily evil.
    Why, oh why Bioware did you have to confuse the player at the very last moments?

The ending was a steaming pile of excrement. Not at all "a worthy conclusion to Shepard's tale" as some claim. A cheap Deus Ex ripoff, without any information on what happened to the crew you spent HOURS AND HOURS to get to know.

Oh btw, the whole thing with the multiplayer required to get the perfect ending?? What went wrong with you, Bioware...
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    Great until you reach the end. No real closure to the series, nor is there the emotional gravity that is present throughout the rest of them game. The game is absolutely incredible on every other front, but the ending breaks the experience for this one. Sad to say that what should (and could) have been the gem of the series turned into its downfall.
  22. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Game was everything I had hoped... Until the end. No way would Shepard have accepted The Catalyst's beliefs, not when Shepard has experienced first hand organics and synthetics coexisting and working together. I was sad and disappointed at the end of this game. As a film ending it would be bitter sweet and might be acceptable. With a game I think companies DO have to pander more to the consumers, because we are far more invested in the characters than we would be in film or print, this is OUR commander Shepard and he/she deserved better! Expand
  23. Mar 13, 2012
    Great and amazing game until the last 10 minutes. This isn't fan rage. It's simply a warning. You won't understand what everyone was complaining about until it's too late. The real tragedy is that Mass Effect 1 and 2 get caught in the blast wave and become worse games in the process.
  24. Mar 13, 2012
    I loved every mass effect game up to this one I enjoyed this ones gameplay and combat but the story writing and endings hurt. such a great series has ended in literal sadness for a series I really and truly loved.
  25. Mar 13, 2012
    I loved this series! I've put so many hours into the each of the games, hearing that they will all factor in during the grand finale. However, this was not the case. The story telling was good in this game the same as it was in all the others. Until the ending. *spoilers* Once i reached the ending i was given 3 options. All pretty much the same. No matter what combination of War AssetsI loved this series! I've put so many hours into the each of the games, hearing that they will all factor in during the grand finale. However, this was not the case. The story telling was good in this game the same as it was in all the others. Until the ending. *spoilers* Once i reached the ending i was given 3 options. All pretty much the same. No matter what combination of War Assets achieved. You could beat this game with 0 War assets and have the same ending I did. Also, the choices I made were not reflected at all. Which was Biowares big deal for this series. I am severally disappointed. On the good side. Combat was amazing the best its been in any of the other games. But that's about the only plus side to this game. Very Sad. Very sad. Expand
  26. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the first games I can remember truly enjoying was Twisted Metal II. The gameplay was okay and the graphics were fine for the time. But what really caught my attention is that each character had his or her own unique ending. They weren't even CGI cut scenes. I mention this, because this is what I want and why I play videogames; for a compelling and interactive story. With Mass Effect, I was drawn in by the story and the fact that I was able to choose my future. When Mass Effect 2 made my decisions apparent, I relished the though of fighting the Reapers in a galaxy that I helped construct. Over the course of the first two game I invested hundreds of hours (with six completions of the first game and twelve completions of the second game including one just to see everyone die). I have a deep emotional investment in this universe that Bioware created. So I do not relish being so critical of the completion to such a rich history. To begin: the gameplay has been improved. Weapons each have an individual feel. Choosing your weapon become a balance of what feels right and what is the most effective. It also affect how you determine your character's skills. Speaking of which, the RPG element of character development have returned. You now not only have a choice of which powers your character have and use, but the characteristic of those powers. This improves upon the strategy during combat as your powers are now adapted to how you want to play. In combat movement and power are more fluid once you adapt to the changes. Th kinect makes it faster but you can still slow the action and formulate strategy. Finally, the story is amazing... for the most part. Moments like Mordin ascending to the top of the spire or Tali removing her mask on her home world or just Captain Anderson and Shepard sitting together looking down on Earth quite literally brought tears to my eyes. I lost it upon the realization that Thane's final prayer was for me. But as much good as the story brings, there is disappointment. A story is as much the ending as it is all other components. If the ending is not rich and full, it tears the audience away from the experience. It leave a bad taste. And the potential endings (of which I have experience three) are lacking in fruition. They seem to destroy as much as they attempt to save... Further, all my efforts building a force seems to do little in the grand scheme of things. There is also very little closure for my friends and for the entire universe. I don't need everyone to live happily ever after, but I want to know who lives and who dies, how the galaxy is shaped, and I want to see all those forces I obtained fighting to the last stand. I didn't get any of that. Further, there were faces missing. Kal Reeger dies heroically without so much a a hello. No Fisk. Very little interaction with the council which I thought would be flushed out. And Grunt's cameo was only a single mission. He disappears after one interaction without so much as a "Stop and see me on the citadel before I ship out." There were also some other minor issues as far as choices. Not being able to remove the helmet on the full armor sets, having less weapon customization than Alpha Protocol, no armor enhancement, and fewer interactive conversations with the crew (like Tali being drunk or any interaction with Zaeed). Plus, what happen to the paragon and renegade opportunities? Mass Effect is not a bad game. It's enjoyable. But as a hardcore fan it's also a disappointment. With how much time and emotion I invested in ME 1 and 2, this should have been an easy 10. While ME3 managed to improve in so many areas, it fell short in some of the very areas that made the other two so compelling: a character driven story where my choices matter. Perhaps it was too large; Bioware may ave created something that was so big they couldn't live up to the conclusion that everyone wanted. But I can't help thinking it could have ended so much better. Expand
  27. Mar 13, 2012
    While Mass Effect 3 has been on the end of some, lets face it, pathetic criticism lets get one thing straight; Mass Effect, as a series, has never been more than a stellar plot with solid, but not exemplary, game mechanics pushing it along. I understand a LOT of people will be frustrated with Mass Effect 3 an its shoddy delivery but lets grow up a bit shall we? As I said the gameplay asWhile Mass Effect 3 has been on the end of some, lets face it, pathetic criticism lets get one thing straight; Mass Effect, as a series, has never been more than a stellar plot with solid, but not exemplary, game mechanics pushing it along. I understand a LOT of people will be frustrated with Mass Effect 3 an its shoddy delivery but lets grow up a bit shall we? As I said the gameplay as always been basic and functional at best, and Mass Effect 3 deliveries the best game play experience of the trilogy. Its still not brilliant, but it is better. Plot wise I will agree that the ended is quite ham fisted, and liberties have been taken with continuity for the sake of accessibility. Making it the weakest of the series from a story telling perspective. So Bioware have got it nearly half right, and as a result have created a half decent and dreadfully over hyped game. Wait for a price drop, or rent if you must. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    I'm at the end of the game, and the frustration is overwhelming. My squad mates are so stupid they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Even though I'm manually telling them to use their abilities.

One hit kills abound from the reaper nearby, or the many banshees that close in on me because my squad keeps going down. And I'm playing on normal. The combat has been modified, they may call it improved but it's a poor attempt at "Gearsifying" Mass Effect. Shep is now one of the clunkiest characters i've ever played, but BioWare seemed to think the new abilities of diving around and swat turns make him capable of taking down multiple Geth Primes in close quarters, or multiple Phantoms with Nemisis support without breaking a sweat. What i'm trying to convey here is that BioWare have overestimated their combat tweaks. I'm playing as an engineer, using my abilities as much and as tactical as I did during the first two games, but it's making no difference. My sister is playing as a soldier class, she is finding it much easier, which leads me to believe this game is tailored for action. Not RPG. And i've finished the first two on insanity, so I know it's not my skill that's the problem here, just that I appear to be playing with the wrong character.

Dialogue options are minimal. Your limited to saying pretty much what the writers want you to say. Your choices from the previous games amount to very little. I should have known this was going to be hugely dissapointing when I went to import my character and I received the error that my facial data could not be recognised. Seriously, that should have been sorted out early on in development. It's what Mass Effect is about, "your" Shepard, "your" choices. Some choices did carry through, with pleasing effects, but others were just worthless. I saw very little to do with homosexuality in this game, though I have NO problem with homosexuality. So there is little to worry about for the homophobes out there. There was one character, and I liked him. You may not, but then you don't have to speak to him if you don't want to. Another thing with squad mate interaction is there are a lot of instances of conversations like the ones you had with Zaeed, where you'll press A to talk but they just say "good to see you", but even worse is they'll have full conversations with you, you dont choose what you say, you just have a pre-destined converation. Like with Zaeed. This will happen more than you'd like.

And don't get me started on that hideously cliched Cerberus assasin. At least killing that Jackass was satisfying.

Overall A clunky action game, which may be enjoyed by newcomers to the series. For the followers this game may enrage you. I'll leave you with this piece of dialog from the game. Tali: I love you. Shepard: Keela se'lai. Really? How about a simple "I love you too"?
  29. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game... It is easiily a solid 8.5/9 for me as it goes, at least up until you hit the last 20 to 30 minutes of the game and it quite literally all falls apart. The game itself:- The combat mechanics are a lot more shootery than I am used to but still fun and enjoyable, and they feel like a natural evolution. The dialogue and interactions with NPCs is deep, rewarding, and emotive IMO (I totally fell in love with Kaidan all over again, and the game made me really miss Ashley too). And the locations like the Citadel feel bigger, more live a the massive places they are supposed to be. The graphics are decently done (though not fantastic). And the quests and storyline while on the short side is solidly done. And then we hit that ending. An ending so horrific that I couldn't face doing another playthru (importing my other 5 Shepards into the game. An ending filled with plot holes so big you could fly a house through them. I was critical of Dragon Age 2's ending, but at least it was coherent and made sense even if it wasn't great; this ending is just an incoherent nonsensical mess. The ending quite literally ruined the game for me, ruined the trilogy for me. It's that bad. It's that bad that it doesn't just ruin the game or the trilogy, but it literally destroys the whole franchise's future. It literally ends all galactic civilization with no clear reason for it. It felt like Bioware was taking out their anger about the game/script being leaked on the fanbase, and giving us a giant F'U with this ending. I don't mind at all that Shepard had to die, to be honest I kind of expected that he wouldn't make it out of the trilogy alive. But to destroy all galactic civilization too? And as a consequence the whole franchise? It boggles my mind. I can't in good concience give this game any more than what I gave DA2 (a 7 btw), just because of this appalling ending. Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2012
    First of all, ME is one of my favorite video game franchises. I completed the previous games a couple of times, I played all the DLCs and I have read all the comics and books. My expectations were very high and I was counting the days until ME3 finally hit the stores. Overall, except the last 10-15 minutes of the game (I will talk about this atrocity later), there is no reason to complainFirst of all, ME is one of my favorite video game franchises. I completed the previous games a couple of times, I played all the DLCs and I have read all the comics and books. My expectations were very high and I was counting the days until ME3 finally hit the stores. Overall, except the last 10-15 minutes of the game (I will talk about this atrocity later), there is no reason to complain about this game. The game play is satisfying, your squad mates are likable, players are rewarded for playing the previous games with some special moments and the story is - as always - exciting and well told. The ME franchises proves how video games can make you care about characters you think about your actions. You can support or betray former squad mates and sacrifice entire civilizations for the greater good. If you played the previous games and developed any sympathy for the characters, there are no easy calls to make. Nothing seems right or wrong, which makes you care about your decisions and reflect them afterwards. But then comes the ending. To begin with, it is one of the most frustrating endings in video game history. As a big fan of the franchise and so much dedication, it felt like Bioware punched me in the face. For a company, that emphasizes their ability of good story telling and the possibility of influencing of the outcome of the story, this ending cannot be excused. It lets you down, does not reward you whatsoever, makes the previous games pointless, reveals all of your decisions as pointless and comes up with new questions, that remain unanswered. There is no reason to invest your emotions in the ME games again, with an ending like that. It feels like Bioware wanted to come up with something creative and unexpected. The ending was unexpected indeed, but a big letdown for every fan. Expand
  31. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a good game with some crippling flaws that prevent it from being great. Combat and gameplay are easily the best in the series; it retains 2's more visceral shooter-oriented changes while accommodating increased effectiveness of various powers and boosting elements of player choice. In short, it's the best of Mass Effect I and II; you can play as a gunning soldier orMass Effect 3 is a good game with some crippling flaws that prevent it from being great. Combat and gameplay are easily the best in the series; it retains 2's more visceral shooter-oriented changes while accommodating increased effectiveness of various powers and boosting elements of player choice. In short, it's the best of Mass Effect I and II; you can play as a gunning soldier or fight almost entirely through special abilities, and both are fully valid. While combat is a definitive improvement, changes with other aspects of gameplay are lateral at best. Gone are the earlier installments hacking mini-games (Yay!) and unwieldy vehicle segments (also, Yay!), but exploration seems significantly curtailed. Side missions are few and planetary exploration is gone, but I can't bring myself to miss either from Mass Effect 2. The tedious resource gathering aspect is scrapped, and in its place is a faster but no less vexing 'search and recover' mechanic. In a sense, de-focusing exploration makes perfect sense in the context of the game's story; the galaxy is at war with a race of synthetic invaders vastly more powerful than all native civilizations combined, and said armada is focused on the extermination of all advanced life. The story is darker than before, and if you listen to the NPCs talking around the game hubs you'll hear tragic stories of loss and hardship. The game's writing is, overall, superb; plot lines connect coherently and sync up with character motivations and development which extend over the course of the series. Mass Effect 2 had a couple truly touching moments, and it's clear to see that the authors wanted to replicate that here, too. They had mixed success; there are some very powerful, emotional moments, and a few that just fall flat due largely to the writing team just trying too hard. Mass Effect I and II were some of the best RPGs of this console generation, and I was ready to call ME3 the best of the lot... until the last half hour of the game. I should address some of the other concerns I've read here before going onto the game's true failing. The day one DLC is fun, entirely non-vital, and a decent investment if you like the game. It's absolutely comparable to the character DLCs in ME2, and I personally don't find anything to object to about it. The inclusions of multiplayer had me weary, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how fun it ends up being. Shooter fans may find it simplistic and lacking, but if you like Mass Effect's combination of guns and special abilities, then you'll probably get a kick out of it. As it is, it's the only thing I've ever seen in four years to make me buy an Xbox Live gold pass. Really, the game is great... right until the ending. The grand resolution to the Mass Effect trilogy, easily the most engaging RPG franchise of the last five years... simply sucks. It's pointlessly arbitrary, nonsensical, and deeply unsatisfying. The sheer sense of betrayal it left me with makes it easy for me to understand the slew of negative reviews on this site. Allegedly, there are sixteen endings with variations along three primary choices you make in the last minutes of the game, but they're almost identical and all disgusting. I can't recall such a sharp whiplash in tone and enjoyment. It's the sort of ending that sucks the fun out of a franchise. If the ending of a grand trilogy had been... well, better, I would have happily given ME3 a 9/10. It improves on so many things of its predecessors (combat flow, character design, strategic choices, enemy variety, the list goes on), but in the end it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It came so close, and it could have easily been so much better... Expand
  32. Mar 12, 2012
    Truth be told I loved the all but the last 10 minutes of the game. And those 10 minutes left me with such a feeling of distastes that it basically ruined the whole game for me. When a game is founded off of the users decisions over 3 games, why did BioWare decide to ignore all those choices at the end of the game and force me to pick 3 choices that don't make sense with how I played theTruth be told I loved the all but the last 10 minutes of the game. And those 10 minutes left me with such a feeling of distastes that it basically ruined the whole game for me. When a game is founded off of the users decisions over 3 games, why did BioWare decide to ignore all those choices at the end of the game and force me to pick 3 choices that don't make sense with how I played the game? (Let alone the unanswered questions.) My guess is that BioWare had a very ambitious set of multiple endings planned, but that due to time concerns they scrapped them and left us with an unfinished game with a token ending that they plan to flesh out with dlc. Expand
  33. Mar 12, 2012
    The ending ruins an otherwise great game. It makes no sense and BioWare did not live up to their hype nor promises at this point. I hope they will either explain it or fix it, because I'm not getting where they are trying to go with it. The worst of it, is that you could have done absolutely nothing in the previous two games or even in this one and would probably still get the same oldThe ending ruins an otherwise great game. It makes no sense and BioWare did not live up to their hype nor promises at this point. I hope they will either explain it or fix it, because I'm not getting where they are trying to go with it. The worst of it, is that you could have done absolutely nothing in the previous two games or even in this one and would probably still get the same old ending. Kinda sad considering the promises made in interviews. Expand
  34. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I want to start off by saying that I really enjoyed the game for the most part. But there were some mistakes made, so I'm going to talk about what I liked AND what I didn't like. There are SPOILERS in this review.

I enjoyed the actual playing of the game immensely. We were able to customize our gear to a reasonable extent, the planet scanning thing was at least made more interesting and not nearly as time consuming, the action was intense and fun, etc. I also really liked the characters and (most of) the story. The crew on the Normandy always had something to say, and I thought them wandering around the ship at times and interacting with one another was a great touch. And the events on Palaven's moon, Tuchanka, the Citadel, Rannoch, Thessia, hunting Cerberus, and Earth were great. Thessia was a bit of a railroad, but the way the characters reacted to a genuine mission failure was interesting to see. And the development of Shepard throughout the story as a character who is (Paragon or Renegade) starting to become worn down by everything was well done. I laughed, I got a little teary-eyed, I celebrated, I got angry. I thought that the mission log just not updating was a huge pain in the neck. Especially with the fetch quests. 'Find A and Bring it to Bob'. Okay, sure, it's an RPG. These things are easy to make fun of but are pretty much expected. Except I might find A in the middle of a firefight, grab it, forget about it, and then have no idea it's time to go find Bob. I largely had to visit the Citadel and check the map to see if there was anybody who needed anything I'd found. This became particularly egregious when you had to go to the Spectre office AFTER the mission to Benning in order to get what you needed; I spent a good little while scouring the Benning map trying to find what I needed, eventually giving up the quest as lost and only happening to visit the office much later in the game. There's also the resistance mission from the DLC, which costs you an achievement since the log doesn't tell you what you need to be doing. Alright. The DLC thing. I got the CE version, and didn't really get the DLC complaining. I think Day One DLC in the manner of 'you bought our game new, here's this stuff' is actually a great idea. It encourages people to buy new and later at least gives the developers and producers a cut of the used game market. When I realized that the From Ashes DLC was ONLY for the CE version, I understood why people were so angry. I want to point out that this may not be Bioware's fault, as EA are the folks who are actually selling it. But after taking the Prothean to Thessia and seeing how much he could change story events, I think it's shameful that people who bought the regular version of the game new had to pay money to get him. Is it WORTH the amount of money? Yes, it's very good DLC. But the execution is, as I said, shameful.

Now, the endings. OH BOY the endings. If you're reading this you have probably noticed that the internet is in flames over this issue. Again, I remind you, I really enjoyed this game. TIM's whole thing, Anderson dying, Shepard opening the citadel and starting to bleed out? I'm still enjoying it. It's past that where things go wonky. If you know what a Gainax ending is, you know what I mean. Suddenly the Catalyst shows up, and if you've done a good enough job you get to pick one of three endings (if you didn't do a good job you don't even get the choice, but I suppose that's what you had coming). But the endings are pretty much all the same, all riddled with plot holes, and all give you pretty much no closure. Why was the Normandy in FTL travel in the first place? If Shepard controlled the Reapers, what happened next? Why did the relays get destroyed in all three endings when only the Destroy ending explicitly said that that would happen? Even the 'good' Destroy ending has a stinger with Shepard being alive, but if so what then? Why couldn't Shepard just die with Anderson, the Crucible goes off, the rest of the party find him there, and then we get a decent epilogue? I'm fine with Shepard dying. I don't need a perfect riding-a-ship-made-of-dreams-into-friendship ending, I just wanted an ending.

The glaring flaw? Remember Fallout 3, where you died of radiation poisoning when someone immune to radiation was in your party? Same thing here. When the Catalyst goes all "Yo dawg, I heard you donâ
  35. Mar 12, 2012
    Let me be vary clear i am not going to complain about the graphics the Homosexuality or the glitches. With the level of coding needed to facilitate a game like this with so many choices and paths to take it is expected. If you want a gay or lesbian Shepard more power to you. As a matter of fact on My second play-through i may just try that with my Female renegade, but we shall see.
    What
    What really made me drop to my knees and cry what really killed this game for me was the ending.
    Without giving anything away let me explain.
    All those choices that you made, all those people you met, all those romances you had, AMOUNT TO NOTHING. No mention no nothing. Let me be clear i have no problem with a bittersweet ending. If lets say Shepard had no choice and all he could do to save his world and the Woman/Man he loves is to end his own life then sure by all means but treat it as such. Better yet do it gently. Or make it after a grand final battle. No such thing happens. A lot of people were complaining about the negativity of the ending. If the end would have been handled with a little more care i would not be as angry sad and frustrated. Let me be clear this games took me 35 hours to complete combining the game play from all three that led to this finally i had a grand total of 126 hours of game-play mostly from 1 and 2 respectively. To then tell me that all that work and toil and sweat and sleepless nights amounts to nothing is more then just saddening. It is a swift kick to the nuts. A sudden pain radiating up your back toward your stomach. I actually played the ending again the first time just to make sure i did not make a mistake, and then a played it a third time just to be sure. I actually contemplated throwing this game out the window. Something i had never done before. However if you let your anger subside as i did after about a day. You will go back watch the end again let the credits finish rolling and hear how what you have done throughout the game has become the stuff of legend. Many cry foul at this but i see it as a nod from Bioware to keep going and persevere and try again. That and the Game itself leading up to the last ten minutes are what kept me from giving this thing anything less then a five. You will like the game, up untill you make your final push for the transporter. After that you will cry, you will be angry, you will be speechless. You will try again and again to find the truth and you will fail. Bioware has tried and failed to resist EA Greed. First Red Alert 3 and now this. I am done with you EA. Here is a quick list of the game series EA has ruined.
    Command and Conquer: RED ALERT
    Mass Effect 3
    Command and Conquer
    Dungeon Master
    Sim (name here)

These are just the ones I've played.
    These are big series too.
    Congrats EA with this you have pissed off Sci-Fi fans across the world.

Bioware resist the EA greed and keep making good games .

the following is for EA:

**** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  36. Mar 12, 2012
    As a fan of the previous two games, I was disappointed with this final installment. The third installment is unfortunately rifled with a lot of dumbing down of the franchise. Conversation choices have been severely limited, as have the number of dialog choices; especially those which actually matter. This comes into play for the worst in the ending which is a huge disappointment, to sayAs a fan of the previous two games, I was disappointed with this final installment. The third installment is unfortunately rifled with a lot of dumbing down of the franchise. Conversation choices have been severely limited, as have the number of dialog choices; especially those which actually matter. This comes into play for the worst in the ending which is a huge disappointment, to say the least. The series hailed itself as choice since the beginning, but the way your choices end up affecting the ending seem to be arbitrary at best. It's also unfortunate multiplayer is required to get the best ending possible. I believe you can get it if you make very specific choices in the campaign (i.e. not all Paragon or all Renegade, you need a guide in your lap to mix and choose very specific ones) but chances are you won't get it without a guide. Multiplayer itself feels very tacked on and more of a mandate by the publisher, similar to how I felt on Multiplayer in Bioshock 2. Expand
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    There are no spoilers contained in this review so no worries. Also. this is my first and I feel I should give my honest opinions instead of just "review bombing."

Pros: The combat works a lot better and it feels more fluid unlike the previous games that felt more clunky.Returning Characters from the different games. The story was "OK" and I really enjoyed the different characters through out the entire game. A lot more guns, upgrades armor and levels than in Mass effect 2. Cons: The MP feels out of place and doesn't really belong. It is very easy to get the "best" possible ending. It was very short, I finished about 100% of the game in nearly 20 or so hours. I feel the ending left a lot to be desired but it wasn't "THE WORST ENDING EVER OMG!!!!11!!" Also, the writing felt a little lack luster in places and there are fewer dialogue options across the board. The Day 1 DLC and Importing a character and getting to skip half of the leveling experience. I started at level 1 and was about 40 by the end and I heard you could import a Mass Effect 2 save and retain that level. Overall I say this was a good game but it still has it's flaws I personally enjoyed the combat and characters and it was a hell of a ride! I may do a insanity play through next.
  38. Mar 12, 2012
    If you have Played any of the previous ME games, play this game now, it is a master piece. Until the last 15 minutes, it just raises more questions, don't provide and closure but feels like it was written by someone who didn't write anything else in the game. It feels like someone was trying to be profound but failed on the exicution. This games is a MASTERPIECE if you've enjoyed the lastIf you have Played any of the previous ME games, play this game now, it is a master piece. Until the last 15 minutes, it just raises more questions, don't provide and closure but feels like it was written by someone who didn't write anything else in the game. It feels like someone was trying to be profound but failed on the exicution. This games is a MASTERPIECE if you've enjoyed the last 2 games, but the ending took everything you did before udderly meaningless. Expand
  39. Mar 12, 2012
    First of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven'tFirst of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven't spent a $ on this game and everything u play is worth a 10 no metter what!!!Second i have to say that the game is really good!!The combat is great and gives u nice moments,the cinematics are beautiful and the decisions u take IN THIS GAME seem relevant in crucial moments...The script sometimes was rly boring but it had moments of excellence....I found the design very good and sometimes jaw-dropping.The graphics are those of ME2 with some better details maybe...So all and all is a very solid shooter but not a solid RPG (and i'm sorry to say this)....Side missions are rly good but u never get the sense of need to explore more because there is nothing too explore only scanning isnt enough.So it is a good shooter but a poor RPG!!!Third:The decisions of the previous games doesnt really matter in a big way and thats was a really big letdown for everybody i think...im not putting spoilers here but take my word on this.U feel really happy when u see that smthg u did in the previous games shows up,but that doesnt happen often and thats a big letdown too!!Fourth and most important thing: the ending.This is the best trilogy ever created with the worst ending.Dont get me wrong i liked the idea and that was my idea of a great ending but the execution of it was bad really bad and many people know what I'm talking about!!I'm a big fan of the series and have played the whole trilogy so i understand all the others who gave this game bad votes...The first day DLC is a scandal...And the ending is almost as scandalous....But after 1 night of thinking i have come up with my conclusion!!THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE...u would say why??Because they want more money and they want u to buy an another DLC that maybe will show what really happens when ME ends ;)!!Im sorry to say this and i would be disgusted if smthg like this happened!!Ultimately im judging this game on a ME rating scale...and that's a 7...if this game was a stand alone with a declared sequel it would be easily a 9 or 9.5!!Thank u for reading I'm sorry for my poor vocabulary but I'm not American nor British.Cheers to all!!! Expand
  40. Mar 12, 2012
    Very difficult game to judge. The 99% of the game is awesome - dialogues, storytelling, characters and mainly the decisions from the previous games really matters here (at least mine were present. Even the fact that I collected all "Arasi Writing" collectibles in the first game played some small role in ME3). But the last 1% of the game is huge dissapointment. The ending is terrible. NotVery difficult game to judge. The 99% of the game is awesome - dialogues, storytelling, characters and mainly the decisions from the previous games really matters here (at least mine were present. Even the fact that I collected all "Arasi Writing" collectibles in the first game played some small role in ME3). But the last 1% of the game is huge dissapointment. The ending is terrible. Not because the story itself. Not because it isnot a "sugar and rainbows" happy ending. But because it will not tie up the game. And dont tell you at leasts the results of the final battle. But the problem is that these last minutes will make a lasting impressions of the game. So even when I was enjoying myself for more that 40 hours, now I feel really dissapointed, tricked and not motivated to play this game ever again. Expand
  41. Mar 12, 2012
    Boy I never thought I would have to rate a mass effect game below a 9, but in all honestly, I loved the game up until the very end, yes they did dumb it down quite a bit from ME1, and even that was acceptable to me. But the ending was so atrocious that after I just kept thinking "WTF just happened" in my head. I also felt like one of the coolest thing about bioware games, the moralBoy I never thought I would have to rate a mass effect game below a 9, but in all honestly, I loved the game up until the very end, yes they did dumb it down quite a bit from ME1, and even that was acceptable to me. But the ending was so atrocious that after I just kept thinking "WTF just happened" in my head. I also felt like one of the coolest thing about bioware games, the moral choices you are presented with, were completely pointless, the ending I recieved had absolutely nothing to do with any of my choices, nor did it make any sense what so ever. I will gladly state that I would of rather of seen a cliche action movie ending than what I saw.

PS. I've played both KOTOR 1/2, DA 1/2, Jade Empire, and ME 1/2/3, I'm not a bioware hater considering I've pretty much bought every game they've made for the last 10 years, it's just shameful how bad the ending was...
  42. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gave this game a mixed review because it left me with mixed feelings the ending left a sour taste in my mouth. The combat in this game is relatively unchanged from the second. Many people complained that the choices made in the previous games are not well fleshed out in this game. That is somewhat true. If you did not save the council they are not present. If you killed Wrex on Virmire he is still dead in this game. Most of the characters from mass effect 2 make only a cameo appearance in this game which I though was somewhat of a let down. If you choose to have a romance option with characters in Mass Effect 2 (such as Miranda) and continue them in mass effect 3 they feel less that satisfying. If you continue with characters who are in this game such as Kaidan, Ashley or Liara they are much better. So to sum it choices from the other games matter is some areas and not so much in others which is part of my mixed feelings for the game. I did not think the graphics where all that bad, but some of the animations were terrible. For example watch Shepard puch Khalisa-al-Jilani for the third time in the Tabloid Journalism segment. That was a horrible animation and just one of a few. The other thing I do not understand is making Shepard gay. I know they probably did this for politically correct reasons and that fine I guess, but when he was not gay in the previous 2 games and they decide to just all of sudden let him decide he or she is gay in this game does not make a shred of sense. Mutilplayer is for the first time is an option and is not really a make or break deal for me. It is somewhat of a toned down version of horde mode on gears of war. You must survive waves of enemies with intermittent objective in some rounds to earn credits. They can be used to purchase packs which contain items, weapons, or other characters that can be unlocked to play as. It is actually a fun option to play multiplayer to see how some of the other classes play, and it is fun to play as other races for once. Overall the multiplayer is a way to boost your "galatic readiness." rating which can help to achieve a better ending. Its simple and fun but is not required to get a better ending so I was ok with having the option in the game. Now for the story of the game itself. For the most part it is fun helping solve the different political turmoils of the other races of the galaxy in an effort to take back earth and rid the galaxy of the reapers and there cycle of harvesting life every 50,000 or so years which was the theme of the entire game. Rallying your allies and fighting the reapers along the way seems like it is building towards an epic conclusion. The dialog and other scenes along the way I felt helped to convey the moral turmoil of just how grim the situation was for the entire galaxy. Completing these sequences and doing sidequets boosts effective military strength which(EMS) which can bemodified to be higher if you play mutiplayer. Sidequests in this game are underwhelming compared to the other games though. Fetch quests essentially. Once you get to the ending there is very little to be happy about though. The last 10 mins of the game are horrible. Supposedly there is up to 17 endings but they all revolve around one of three choices you must make. Destroy the reapers, control them, or sythesize with them. Dues Ex rip off anyone? once you make your choice the very short cut scenes vary slightly depending on your total EMS. The explanation for the reapers is also stupid. They are a race of all powerful hybrid synthetic and organic beings sent every 50,000 years to harvest advanced life to prevent it from creating synthetic life that will overtake organic life. By harvesting advanced organic life it ascends to an advanced organic existence as a reaper and ultimately saves organic life in the process? Really? How did your Normandy allies back on this ship crash landed on a some jungle planet after you activate the catalyst? The endings are so confusing and offer little variance. Previous choices seem to matter none. Why were the mass relays destoryed? What happens to everyone because of that? I would have loved to have seen what happens with Shepard and his or her love interest and the other races of the galaxy There is so much thats is bad and confusing about this ending and it is filled with plot holes. To be honest I would have preferred a good happy ending where Shepard settle down and lives out his or her life as hero. This is like what if the lord of the rings just ended with Sam and Frodo swallowed up by lava and the fate of everyone that helped them is left in limbo and they said the end. That is essentially what you get here. There is a hint if you had a high enough EMS the Shepard is still alive if you choose destroy option which I hope they expand on to fix the crappy ending to this game. This would have been a 9 if not for the bad confusing ending. Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2012
    An incredible game ruined by a very poor ending. If you don't care about the story you may have a great time, but if story is important to you, and you have been following the series you will be disappointed.
  44. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's hard for me to decide how to put a number rating on Mass Effect 3 (ME3). I'd been gleefully anticipating the release of the game the day I completed Mass Effect 2 (ME2) and as slowly progressed through ME3, I could barely contain my joy at finally seeing the end of a game where MY choice mattered. What I got was a punch to the stomach and a feeling of despair that won't diminish for the foreseeable future. The ending makes a complete mockery of all the choices I've made this past five years of the course of three games that I poured my heart and soul into. ME3 is an amazing game. Until the last five minutes. You're given the choice (depending upon your effective military rating; the endings differ slightly depending the score) of either controlling the Reapers, destroying the Reapers, or Synthesis; which means the Citadel (which happens to be the Catalyst you've been hunting for during the game to complete the Crucible) absorbs your part synthetic/part organic essence and channels it throughout the galaxy via the Mass Relays to make all life a half and half hybrid. What? If you choose to control the Reapers, you must become one. You choose to destroy the Reapers, it kills ALL synthetic life in the galaxy; including the geth and the Mass Relays are destroyed. You choose synthesis you die. No closure. The game ends in a cutscene with the Normandy outrunning the Mass Relays destruction, which makes no sense as Earth is saved with this option and the Reapers flee, so what are you running from? The Normandy then crashes onto an unknown planet with some of the crew leaving the ship, and I'm assuming starting a new life? Cutscene ends with an old man and young child. The old man is telling your story, the story of "the Shepard," and how you saved the galaxy from destruction. This game, I'm sure, was a lifelong dream to make for the folks at Bioware. This has been they're baby for almost a decade and they are the creators, so they're voice carries weight when it comes to how they want the game to end. But as a fan who has put so much into this series I cannot wrap my head around how they thought these choices were a viable option to end a game of this magnitude. We get to make all these decisions with the life of the galaxy hanging in the balance and then at the end we don't get to see the fruits of our efforts? What happens to all the alliances we forged? Does peace reign? Do petty hatreds resume? My Shepard doesn't get to settle down and live his life with Ash (my choice of romantic interest in my main play through)? The ending to this game, for me, ruins further playthroughs I might attempt starting with replaying Mass Effect 1 (ME1.) Why would I waste time making the galactic decisions I do when there's no closure at the end. Maybe these endings give the folks at Bioware closure, but it doesn't for me. I guess I'll rate it a five. ME3 is a 9.5 game. If you discount the last five minutes. My grade: Disappointed, but for numbers sake I'll give it a five. I guess. Expand
  45. Mar 11, 2012
    I really do love ME1, with its flaws it was still an awesome game, for me the best one in the series.
    Then came ME2 i still really liked it, but there was something about it that made it not as good. It might of been that it was more action heavy.
    Then came ME3 oh dear. About 80% is shooting. I was on normal difficulty but ended up changing it to narrative. I just could not be bothered. I just wanted to get it done to finish the series. Also sometimes the talking can be a bit choppy when it takes about 2 seconds for someone to talk. Any way. THE ENDING. OMG WHY?
    I expected to do what i was doing from beginning. Destroy the reapers, Save the galaxy and settle down with ma babe Ashley. BUT NOOOOOOO. We get s**t. This is not gonna get out of my head for about a month. I'll start thinking of alternatives and dream about it, what could of happened. It makes me annoyed that they couldn't just have you save the galaxy and have a happy ending. I don't care what it takes. Bioware has to do something. Make a alternative DLC ending or something of god. I think if they spent there time a little wiser the game could of been great. I would like to go back to ME1 and have a perfect game all the way through to ME3 to satisfy me but its over now no going back.
    Might as well talk about MP now. Its pretty fun did have all my items get deleted tho which was pretty annoying. Other than that it is quite entertaining. Overall they could of done better instead of taking a week to make 1 ending and copy and pasting it about 16 times. And one more thing. Why wasn't the history of the galaxy told at the end like what happened to the galaxy after the events?
  46. Mar 11, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that I am a big fan of the Mass Effect series. I was fairly pleased with the majority of the storyline and dialogue in this game. The tone of this game is a lot more grim than the previous two games but I feel that is appropriate given the circumstances. Sometimes the voice acting can get a bit cheesy and some of the situations seem like they were ripped from a badI'll start off by saying that I am a big fan of the Mass Effect series. I was fairly pleased with the majority of the storyline and dialogue in this game. The tone of this game is a lot more grim than the previous two games but I feel that is appropriate given the circumstances. Sometimes the voice acting can get a bit cheesy and some of the situations seem like they were ripped from a bad action movie. The game play has had some tweaks and combat feels a bit more tuned. There are still bugs galore though and the AI still seems terrible despite claims of upgrades to it. Most bugs aren't extremely noticeable; heck sometimes they are downright funny but then you get the really frustrating bugs such as getting stuck and having to restart. Those bugs are one reason why this game lost a point. Another reason is how it seems that the events of the previous two games don't seem to have made as big a difference as I thought they would. Pretty much all of the key character's from the previous games make an appearance. Some are a big more significant than others but its certainly nice to see. The biggest problem I had with it was the ending. Its as though they were driving along on the nice little path of a storyline and then decide to just blindfold the driver at the end and hope for the best. The endings all make very little sense and just create more loose ends than they tie up. Hopefully we see more content in the future that makes things a bit more clear but until then I feel very disappointed with how the game ends. A little obscurity isn't necessarily a bad thing since it is nice to have the fans piece together certain aspects. But when the fans are left feeling cheated then its clear that something isn't quite right.
    So in closing, its not a terrible game by any means but it certainly isn't the game that the Mass Effect series deserves. For all the lore and background of the series very little of it is truly represented and the game feels more like an action game than a sci-fi roleplaying game.
  47. Mar 11, 2012
    Until the last ten minutes or so, Mass Effect 3 is an easy 10. And as a general rule I never consider a game to be a 10, because there is always room for improvement. But as a capstone for a trilogy, the majority of the game was not only beautiful and moving on it's own merits, it did a truly astonishing job of reaching backward and making almost every choice you made in the first twoUntil the last ten minutes or so, Mass Effect 3 is an easy 10. And as a general rule I never consider a game to be a 10, because there is always room for improvement. But as a capstone for a trilogy, the majority of the game was not only beautiful and moving on it's own merits, it did a truly astonishing job of reaching backward and making almost every choice you made in the first two games feel like it really mattered. But then you reach the aforementioned last ten minutes. Without spoiling anything, I would have to say that in the context of a different game, the ending wouldn't have been terrible, but it wouldn't have been great either. It would be a solid seven. In the context of how well it fits into the rest of the trilogy, in terms of tone and overall philosophy, or in the context of how complete and coherent the presentation is, reasonable minds can disagree on how well it caps the trilogy, but I would have to say that objectively, the score range for the end should be 0-5, certainly no higher, and I lean heavily toward zero. But I am going with a 7 overall, because as astonishingly ill-conceived and poorly implemented as the end is, the other 95% of the game is still truly epic and moving, and I can't bring myself to discount that, no matter how much the atrocious ending makes me feel like I should. Expand
  48. Mar 11, 2012
    All my thoughts on the game has already been posted.... It felt like a 3rd person shooter rather than a RPG and I didn't like that there were less squad members and the new members were uninteresting. The second game was far better. I was so disappointed, I almost cried. :( ah well I was waiting for bioshock infinite longer anyway.
  49. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this game with a concentrated effort not to read any reviews or spoilers. Consequently, I was unaware of any controversy until I finished the game and fired up my laptop. I was not surprised to see most of the reviews agreeing with my opinion. The game ended and I literally froze and whispered, "What? No!" I simply could not believe that all the hype, all the buildup, all the emotional investment ended with such a cheap, chintzy ending. None of my in-game choices or my careful maintenance of my paragon rating mattered at all! What is the point of marketing your game as player-driven when none of our choices make any difference? Expand
  50. Mar 11, 2012
    ME3 is an amazing game, it has great graphics and the best combat in the games so far, it delivers on every front, the build up to the final battle provides some of he best story in any game i have ever played. However! the ending to the game is possibly the most anti climactic in a game ever! It feels very streamlined and like a gloryfied quick time event. And out of the 3 choices you canME3 is an amazing game, it has great graphics and the best combat in the games so far, it delivers on every front, the build up to the final battle provides some of he best story in any game i have ever played. However! the ending to the game is possibly the most anti climactic in a game ever! It feels very streamlined and like a gloryfied quick time event. And out of the 3 choices you can make you get pretty much the same ending, each is possibly more depressing than a news report about some child being killed! its that bad! The whole game would have been the best experiance of my life (Better than sex! ;) hehe) but the ending made me feel like id just wasted the 3 days it took me to complete every mission and then the time i spent on the suprisingly good multiplayer trying to increase my readiness for the final battle, it made me feel hollow and empty inside and the real reviewers are making up crap, maby they've been paid off or sumin, but the game offers no closure im still wondering what happend to the normandy crew as the clip they show you is just about as understandable as someone tripping on LSD! all in all just because of 2 scenes in the game it has gone from a 10 to a 6! also, very few of your choices in previous games have any affect aside from one or two cameos, Bioware lied! i would still highly recomend this game as the journy to the final battle is better than any of the other two games but the last moments ruin the mass effect universe for everyone If you want a better ending read this and post it everywhere you can so bioware will take notice! http://social.bioware.com/1183972/polls/29101/ Expand
  51. Mar 11, 2012
    When i first read the user reviews on metacritic for this game i thought they were all just trolls. I was playing the game and i loved it! until i got to the end... Here is what happened, the game itself was fantastic. The story was well put together (minus the last 20 minutes) and it felt like each decision you made actually mattered. I felt good being able to unite former enemiesWhen i first read the user reviews on metacritic for this game i thought they were all just trolls. I was playing the game and i loved it! until i got to the end... Here is what happened, the game itself was fantastic. The story was well put together (minus the last 20 minutes) and it felt like each decision you made actually mattered. I felt good being able to unite former enemies against a common enemy and creating the biggest attack force ever. The war assets I spent hours collecting would actually make a difference. The gameplay was fun and challenging, the RPG aspect was present and weapon choice and customization were all well done. The graphics were good (not amazing). I encountered texture pop-ins a lot! The graphics didn't really take away from the overall experience though. It was still a lot of fun to play and experience running into your former team members throughout the game. Everything was great, and I had these great visions for how it would end...then we got to the end. *******MINOR SPOILERS MAY OCCUR. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED****

It was like, all my decisions, didn't matter. all the war assets, i never actually got to see them used. They were just a number. a statistic. The races i united and saved, i never got to see the fruits of my labor and the successes of the races. I never got to see myself settle down with my LI and live a happy life. I have been playing with a character that i had imported from mass effect 1! a character where i had become connected to and had made hard decisions and gotten attached to other characters. and then it was all thrown away. just like that. all my decisions, all the people i got to know and care about, thrown away. The ending, ruined the trilogy. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game and with a better ending i would have probably given it a 9.5/10 (graphics issues). The story flowed well and it was very cool to see all the decisions i made in ME1 and ME2 all matter in ME3. I loved be able to unite everyone and create peace between groups that had despised each other for centuries. The RPG elements from ME1 were re-introduced but managed to keep out the excessive micro-managing to create a good blend of ME1 and ME2. The game was great and it felt like you were making a difference and every decision had an impact on the greater good. Until the end. The end ruined the entire game for me and ruined the trilogy. The best way to play Mass Effect 3 is to play all the way up to the last battle, but don't play that if you want to save yourself major disappointing. so, I have to knock off at least 4 points from my actual score because the ending was so unsatisfying and terrible. yes, it brought a conclusion to ME but in the most terrible way possible. I demand that Bioware fix this! We did it with Fallout 3. We can do it with mass effect. Overall, Play this game. just when you get to the last battle, stop! put the game down, or replay it but save yourself the disappointment of the last battle.
  52. Mar 11, 2012
    True Mass Effect fan here. The Mass Effect series has been about three things for these past few years 1. a climactic battle with the reapers 2. character involvement and attachment and 3. Choice and knowing that those choices mattered and during the first 40 hours of game play this is EXTREMELY true and amazing. I was sitting on the 8.5-9 rating range as you unite the galaxy under aTrue Mass Effect fan here. The Mass Effect series has been about three things for these past few years 1. a climactic battle with the reapers 2. character involvement and attachment and 3. Choice and knowing that those choices mattered and during the first 40 hours of game play this is EXTREMELY true and amazing. I was sitting on the 8.5-9 rating range as you unite the galaxy under a singular purpose the adrenaline and almost pride you feel as an organic defying a set cycle of thousands of years and fighting the reapers planet to planet seeing the loss and sacrifice and desperate tooth and nail efforts of the galaxy to fight back....It was AMAZING and I congratulate Bioware on making that amazing effort...then I hit the final 20 minutes of the game and the game does a complete 180 degree turn and it goes against EVERYTHING I had just said previous, you are treated with a 5 minute space battle, not knowing what is going on just fighting through a linear path with no choice and at the end you are treated with three choices and I will tell you now, they are all very nearly a color palette swap and that is it. The choices you have made in previous games and this one are made completely and utterly irrelevant. And it leaves you in a dark place with many a more questions and no answers. To clarify Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game if you don't know the story and are just looking for an action game that has great story elements. But if you are a true Mass Effect fan like myself I implore you to stop playing when the ending sequence is started and make your own ending in your head it's the only way you will find closure. My character was was Justin Shepard a powerful vanguard who was fearless and would have gone down fighting next to his friends rather than cop out for the easy way. He deserves better, MASS EFFECT deserves better. Expand
  53. Mar 11, 2012
    The game itself was amazing, I had so much fun playing it. The story was such an unforgettable experience and I was captivated the whole time....up until the last 10 minutes. I'm not going to be a jerk and spoil it for anyone, but I played the first two when they launched and have been really excited for the 3rd one to conclude the story. Unfortunately the ending was so bad that not onlyThe game itself was amazing, I had so much fun playing it. The story was such an unforgettable experience and I was captivated the whole time....up until the last 10 minutes. I'm not going to be a jerk and spoil it for anyone, but I played the first two when they launched and have been really excited for the 3rd one to conclude the story. Unfortunately the ending was so bad that not only do I feel cheated but I now have no desire to go back and reply the game again which may not seem bad until you compare it to the first two which I played four times each. I really hope Bioware releases some DLC post ending so give the fans some closure on the story. They do that and I'd give this game a perfect 10. Expand
  54. Mar 11, 2012
    Wow, I don't think I've been more mad at a video game than I have right now, after finishing Mass Effect trilogy. What other reviewers are saying is true. If you were a fan of Mass Effect franchise, you are gonna feel like you've been kicked in the balls and f-ed in the a$s by the ending (any 3). It is a great freaking game before that, especially story- and gameplay-wise. I spent 40+Wow, I don't think I've been more mad at a video game than I have right now, after finishing Mass Effect trilogy. What other reviewers are saying is true. If you were a fan of Mass Effect franchise, you are gonna feel like you've been kicked in the balls and f-ed in the a$s by the ending (any 3). It is a great freaking game before that, especially story- and gameplay-wise. I spent 40+ hours completely engrossed by the beautiful environment and choices that I had to make. Combat system is a bit clunky because of flawed cover mechanic, but it's manageable. Multiplayer is pretty fun, too, for around 10 hours (for me). But if you are a fan of Mass Effect franchise and have not bought this game yet, play up to the part after missile is launched on Earth, and use your own imagination. That will save yourself from a LOT of disappointment. Expand
  55. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone loves a good sci-fi game. And that's just it, this game is amazing. The mechanics are fun, the lore is fantastic, and as one of those people that has been following Commander Shepard's exploits since that fateful mission on Eden Prime, I cannot say the same for the story. Where Mass Effect 1 and 2 had several outcomes possible, with choices made affecting the world you experience in Mass Effect 3, I simply can't imagine playing the game without having experienced 1 and 2 first. However, that illusion of choice is shattered with the ending. Despite having 3 branching choices at the ending, and preparations of war to make throughout the game, every choice ends in a similar fashion.

Don't get me wrong, the game leading up to the end is amazing, and gives you a real sense of severity that this invasion brings, with every civilized race in the galaxy feeling the Reaper's wrath. But, with so much empathy invested in Shepard's story, and his relationship with his peers and possible love interests, the ending was a huge blow. Under any other circumstance, this ending would have been perfectly fine.

Ending aside, this game is quite amazing, but if you're someone who gets sucked into the world and the characters, and grow to CARE about the outcome, this will likely be hard to swallow. You have been warned.
  56. Mar 10, 2012
    Felt average and I didn't see anything new. I've played the first two and 3 was not what I expected. The writing didn't have as much depth as previous games. Also there wasn't enough combat to satisfy my gaming need. Too much talking not enough teeth-clenching moments. This game was not memorable in any sense I doubt I'll be looking back years from now and telling myself "Wow MassFelt average and I didn't see anything new. I've played the first two and 3 was not what I expected. The writing didn't have as much depth as previous games. Also there wasn't enough combat to satisfy my gaming need. Too much talking not enough teeth-clenching moments. This game was not memorable in any sense I doubt I'll be looking back years from now and telling myself "Wow Mass Effect 3 was great. Now that's how a series should end.". What horrible endings as well. Not worth 60 dollars. Expand
  57. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked the game until the last 15 minutes.The last 15 minute of the game wasn't about the story It was about a crazy alliance soldier seeing a dead child.The endings were worse.I liked the gameplay of deus ex human revolution but it's end really disturb me.And Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't so different there were 3 endings and you are supposed to choose one of them.That wasn't mass effect series system and that's why I liked these games but now it's just another game for me Expand
  58. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game itself adds nothing to the series in terms of gameplay. It's the same old, same old. It doesn't try anything new that impacts the game in a significant way. You can still find better TPS gameplay in Gears (which is saddening really). It's not bad, but enjoyable for what it is.

The story, dear god. Somehow retcons and ignores what was established in ME1 and ME2. The Reapers built Mass Relays, but can't use them? But in ME1, it's said that the Citadel is a giant Mass Relay, which you shut down before it was fully activated. Also the Prothean/Collectors retcons, and also some decisions not mattering at all. Then there's also the Reaper's motive (preventing synthetic life.. which is pretty stupid by itself); the Geth were created by the Quarians some hundreds of years before the events of the first game. Why didn't the Reapers invade back then? And then ME3 feels like it ignores almost the entirety of ME2 (which was already stupid itself), and you start gathering/making the galaxy ready for the invasion while it's happening. That's stupidity at its finest. And then there's the "galactic readiness bar", that just... feels... too I don't know. Too artificial or mathematical. Or something. The 'readiness' should be measured by achievements (ingame, in sidequests and all that) and the things you do to help, not by a statistic.

JRPGs have better plots than this mess, and they can do it in one game for less money and no DLC.

And then there was the "gay" situation. I'm all for gays in my game. I was pretty much surprised and cool with Cortez being openly gay. That's fine, but when you answer him all you get is a paragon romance option and a renegade option. No neutral option. So what, Renegade is the new neutral? And even Kaidan, an established character, turned gay in ME3, hitting on MaleShep. What happened?

Then there's the general laziness of design. 2D sprites of people? It doesn't do anything to cover them up either, it's just blatant. The previous games used 2D sprites, but they weren't as noticeable. Not to mention that even Wii games can put a bunch of 3D models on the screen without slowdown. Not to mention the lazy photoshop of the Tali picture.

It's not amazing or good. Just painfully average
  59. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always been a Bioware fan. I loved KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age Origins and the first two Mass Effect games. I consumed them. They shaped me into the gamer I am today. In fact ME2 was the first full retail game I've ever gotten every achievement on. And even with my hesitation after Dragon Age: Awakenings and 2 (which I enjoyed...but didn't particularly care for), I eagerly preordered my CE 360 version of Mass Effect 3. My reasons for going on and on about is this is because I'm trying to stress I've always loved Bioware because I could always count on them on delivering a solid, enjoyable story that while I may not like...I could always respect. What happened Bioware? Let me explain. First off, I can only imagine the technical and programming finesse it would require to fully interpret EVERY player decision one has made in the prior two ME games. I get it, it would be logistically horrific. So I honestly expected some dumbing down. I expected some character interactions between my crew members to be slightly "off" due to some normalization for the public. But what surprised me was how greatly a shift in "spirit" this game seemed to be. While in the past two games, the illusion of choice was always well managed, making you the player feel like you were Shepard. You had the choices, even if they were in reality a carefully constructed plan. In 3, it feels like its just been stripped down a little. Renegade and paragon choices dont quite seem to have as much the significant impact as prior two games did. And if you personally had wanted to follow a particular path in ME2 that you were hoping to lead into ME3? Well good luck with that. What happened to your ME2 crew? Granted I understand that Shepard voluntarily surrendered, but am I to really believe that pretty much all your crew just said, "Later!" without fighting for him/her? Another thing in regards to this that particularly chafes me is how they handled love interests. Liara, Ashley/Kaidan and then Tali/Garrus all get some screen time and have some resolution. Sucks for you if you chose Jack, Miranda, Thane or Jacob. While Thane DOES have a particularly nice resolution that is touching; Jack, Miranda and Jacob are pretty much SOL. Still, despite all that, I enjoyed the game. In fact I've been up till 5AM every morning the past week until this morning (8AM) to finish. And I loved it. Until the last 8 or so minutes. Every illusion of choice that Bioware gave to the players to make me love this series was ultimately thrown against the wall and beaten with a stick. Three ambiguous outcomes? Really? If the point of the past two games was making a Shepard of OUR choice...to be able to choose how we wanted our galaxy to rise(or fall)...don't you think the players would have liked to have more input then what you gave us? The equivalent of close your eyes and pick a door? I loved ME. I loved ME2 more. I played every class, both Shepard and FemShep. And now? I dont know if I even want to try ME3 with my other saves beyond the first one. What's the point if all our actions in the end amount to nothing? To be fair. There were things I did like. Mordin's resolution on Tuchanka was amazing and masterfully crafted. As the first "big" surprise of the game for me, it got my blood pumping thinking about what the rest of the game had in store for me. Thane's resolution on the citadel was also to me very well crafted. I loved exploring some more of the personalities of the various races inhabiting the ME realm. I enjoyed seeing how some of my actions in previous games came to fruition in ME3. Bioware. I still believe in you. I will still give you my money if you want it. But know that you are breaking the very things that I loved about you. My faith in your abilities as storytellers.

TLDR: If this was just a random RPG, I would be happy. I'd give it a seven or eight. But this is Mass Effect. It's big budget and well made. But I've run into a few technical glitches and the plot just doesn't seem as strong as the first two. And the ending sucked any nerd happiness I had right out of me. I don't mind a sad ending. I was kind of expecting a sad ending. Not a bad one.
  60. Mar 10, 2012
    Undeserving of the unanimously negative user scores its receiving, Mass Effect 3 is a fine game, but is hampered by some sloppy writing and laziness on the behalf of the developers. Irritating things include not being able to import my custom Shepard face from a two year old savegame and some immersion breaking bugs (helmets on, helmets off) but despite this stuff, it's still fun to play,Undeserving of the unanimously negative user scores its receiving, Mass Effect 3 is a fine game, but is hampered by some sloppy writing and laziness on the behalf of the developers. Irritating things include not being able to import my custom Shepard face from a two year old savegame and some immersion breaking bugs (helmets on, helmets off) but despite this stuff, it's still fun to play, which I guess is the most important part. For the sake of a few important details, BioWare have released a game that is above average, when it could have been so very much more. Expand
  61. Mar 10, 2012
    Great game but the endign needs an epilogue. I would gladly pay $10 for a DLC epilogue.

1. 3D models need to learn blocking. That is a term used by actors and actresses in theater. Its an illusion that the audience accepts because if the actor actually talked face to face with the other actor then the audience only sees the back of an actorâ
  62. Mar 10, 2012
    The game itself is not bad, it isn't. There are some moments that are written rather plainly, like something our of a poorly written piece of fanfiction. There are bugs and that sort of thing, but the bottom line is the game is quite good. The soundtrack is arguably one of the best VG soundtracks to ever be released. The galactic readiness system is well done, and detailed. Some of theThe game itself is not bad, it isn't. There are some moments that are written rather plainly, like something our of a poorly written piece of fanfiction. There are bugs and that sort of thing, but the bottom line is the game is quite good. The soundtrack is arguably one of the best VG soundtracks to ever be released. The galactic readiness system is well done, and detailed. Some of the writing is amazing, the ending of a few side characters arcs for example. But this is all overshadowed by the extremely poor endings. Not only are the endings poorly written, in that they are all basically the same thing, but they can hardly be called endings. They give no sense of closure or an explanation. There is no epilogue, there is no finality. It's almost as if Bioware got tired of writing and just pumped the endings out withing five minutes of finalizing the product. It's a truly terrible way to end an otherwise good game, and fantastic trilogy. To say that the endings leave a bad taste in your mouth, would be an understatement. I cannot rate ME3 any higher than this, for a game that has such an emphasis on story and the development of the character's relationships to end like this, is abhorrent. Expand
  63. Mar 10, 2012
    The Game is disappointment. This concerns poor writing, dialogue, robotic delivery of lines. You are funneled though the game; the sense of important choices from 1 and 2 is gone, which invalidates those two superb games. The combat is also not well done; even if it resembles 2 it is much more random, the enemies are attacking in hordes and show incredibly poor AI, the one thing that makesThe Game is disappointment. This concerns poor writing, dialogue, robotic delivery of lines. You are funneled though the game; the sense of important choices from 1 and 2 is gone, which invalidates those two superb games. The combat is also not well done; even if it resembles 2 it is much more random, the enemies are attacking in hordes and show incredibly poor AI, the one thing that makes them dangerous is their sheer number and power bar. They also get boring fast (A million husks! Incredible!) Somehow, maybe due to poor mixture of reload times and squad reaction, the combat itself does not work very well, 2 was way better and did not have this crappy balancing of powers and weight of weapons. The overall sense I get from this very dissappointing third entry is that its rushed and heartless, it showcases violence and sexuality in a way thats obnoxious and caters to the casual player. All in all this is not worth buying, the one thing that saves it is the high production values (though wasted) and sheer spectacle of it. This is what Matrix Revolutions was for the Matrix Trilogy: It forgets about 1, ridicules 2 by ignoring any plot points made in it and thus renders the whole series ineffective. I still hope I will wake up, Mass Effect 3 will be coming out tomorrow and be good. But it really is not; and its not because of trolling but because it is a mediocre title. Sad decline! Expand
  64. Mar 9, 2012
    As with the first the first two titles,Mass Effect 3's strength lies in its story,universe and characters.Though the combat elements have improved,the series will never be remembered for it.Some RPG elements have returned but there seemed to be far less choices,renegade/paragon qte's and exploration in this game which is disappointing.Also the new secondary mission structure was inAs with the first the first two titles,Mass Effect 3's strength lies in its story,universe and characters.Though the combat elements have improved,the series will never be remembered for it.Some RPG elements have returned but there seemed to be far less choices,renegade/paragon qte's and exploration in this game which is disappointing.Also the new secondary mission structure was in turn,repetitve,boring and at times confusing with all missions jammed into a single list.Side missions consist of scanning for stuff,then returning it to the Citadel or gaining War Assets.How dull...As for the multiple endings,it pains me to state that the endings I've experienced are totally unsatisfactory.The final choices are little different and game quickly ends without giving real closure.A minute or two worth of cutscene is a disgrace.I gave the first two games 10.Despite the excellent lore,characters and dialogue,as well as the good combat,this one is not getting that. Expand
  65. Mar 9, 2012
    I've paid and played all of Bioware's ME and DA games (and DLCs), and both series have shown a consistent trend away from action RPG and toward something like an interactive movie. DAO and ME1 were standout games -- they had engaging stories, challenging missions, sufficient map variety, interesting characters and companions, *romance*, variable plot lines involving player decisions.I've paid and played all of Bioware's ME and DA games (and DLCs), and both series have shown a consistent trend away from action RPG and toward something like an interactive movie. DAO and ME1 were standout games -- they had engaging stories, challenging missions, sufficient map variety, interesting characters and companions, *romance*, variable plot lines involving player decisions. They were FUN games that left us wanting more (except the Maco -- we had enough of the Maco). ME2 and DA2, and now ME3, are not like those former games. Cinematics have gotten way too long (so they added the flashing LT/RT prompts to try to keep you from skipping them or leaving the room). Maps are tiny and are reused way too much (see DA2 for the worst of it). They try to cover up the scarcity of real playable content with filler side-quests like ME3's inane Citadel terminal hopping nonsense and tedious resource/war-asset scanning. ME3, in particular, adds more content filler by spreading out a simple character management menu over a four level ME3 ship with 30 sec load times between each level (do i really need to go all the way down to the shuttle bay to see my loadout?). And under all that filler the main ME3 mission is a scifi retelling of Henhouse Henery (Warner Bros). DAO and ME1 were well-crafted games that did not suffer for lack of Hollywood glitz or novelty shooter mechanics (not getting caught and killed by the ME3 cover system is the most challenging part of the game). They were compelling and tasty. Sadly, their successors are not -- their successors are Happy Meals. Expand
  66. Mar 9, 2012
    I signed up just to rate this game! I am giving it a 5 because multi-player is kind of fun. But dear Bioware, after Dragon Age 2 and now Mass Effect 3, please be aware you are in risk of losing your hard core audience - people like me who basically buy every single Bioware game they can get their hands on. It is disingenuous to claim multi-player is optional and then make it literallyI signed up just to rate this game! I am giving it a 5 because multi-player is kind of fun. But dear Bioware, after Dragon Age 2 and now Mass Effect 3, please be aware you are in risk of losing your hard core audience - people like me who basically buy every single Bioware game they can get their hands on. It is disingenuous to claim multi-player is optional and then make it literally impossible to get the best ending without playing multi-player. Really bad. I am not the multi-player type and if your multi-player was just a bit worse, I would have rated you zero. I invested hundreds of hours in this character and now to find myself being told that I have to play multi-player, something I do not want to do for getting the best ending is sad. Expand
  67. Mar 9, 2012
    ME3 did not feel as good as ME2. The story was a bit clumsy, the characters unfriendly and the relationship in-between them vacuous or unrealistic. I felt like I was watching a young girl playing with barbie dolls, but with a science-fiction plot instead of a pink play house. Don't get me wrong, the Sci-Fi idea behind all of ME is epic, I loved it. But this last chapter failed toME3 did not feel as good as ME2. The story was a bit clumsy, the characters unfriendly and the relationship in-between them vacuous or unrealistic. I felt like I was watching a young girl playing with barbie dolls, but with a science-fiction plot instead of a pink play house. Don't get me wrong, the Sci-Fi idea behind all of ME is epic, I loved it. But this last chapter failed to deliver because of the story-telling and the quite repetitive console-like gameplay.

Here's how you beat the game: Move forward, shoot, repeat. You have nothing to think about or care about to beat the game.
  68. Mar 9, 2012
    In Mass Effect 3, I was loving feeling like I was in control of the fate of the galaxy. I was pumped that due to my decisions, I solved conflicts between warring races, acquiring assets that would help in the ultimate resolution of the game. With every new race that I got on board, I could not wait to see how they would aid in the end. I brought the geth and quarians back together. IIn Mass Effect 3, I was loving feeling like I was in control of the fate of the galaxy. I was pumped that due to my decisions, I solved conflicts between warring races, acquiring assets that would help in the ultimate resolution of the game. With every new race that I got on board, I could not wait to see how they would aid in the end. I brought the geth and quarians back together. I helped the Krogan and Turians fight together. I kept thinking that I could not wait to see all this pay off in the end. But it doesn't. It doesn't matter what you do in the end. Expand
  69. Mar 9, 2012
    The game simply falls short of expectation. If ME3 was a standalone game, it would be deserving of an 8 or 9, but Bioware had many reusable assets from the previous two games (engine, textures, character models, etc.), and it felt like all they did was add new dialogue to complete the trilogy. - Huge plot holes from the beginning
    - $10 DLC that's worth about $2 and should have been
    - $10 DLC that's worth about $2 and should have been included with the game
    - Lack of character depth left me not caring about deaths
    - Reaper interaction was extremely limited
    - The galaxy, citadel, and things to do felt smaller than the previous games
    - 26 hours including DLC, side missions, and war assets

This game could have been a lot more. I'm not hating on the series. I loved it as a whole, but the final installment left me feeling indifferent and was not the climactic ending I was anticipating. Perhaps I let the hype build my expectations too high, but I think it has more to do with the game being stripped of mechanics with each installment and publishers wanting to crank out profits every 1-2 years rather than letting developers invest time on quality.
  70. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not one who is hard to please, but Mass Effect 3 had one of the worst endings I have ever come across in all the years I have been playing games. The overall story was good, I was engaged and immensely interested in what would come next. For most of the game I felt like the decisions I made in the past two games had actual weight, and well before actually finishing the game I couldnâ Expand
  71. Mar 9, 2012
    Just to give some perspective, its not a 0 or a 1 nor is it 9 or a 10

Graphics- Above average some unpolished animations but not completely horrendous Gameplay-again above average , NOWHERE near Gears of war or Vanquish I would say about the same level as Uncharted 3 Sound- Again above average nothing amazing or memorable but its not rubbish either Story- this is where it gets dicey your
    Just to give some perspective, its not a 0 or a 1 nor is it 9 or a 10

Story- this is where it gets dicey your CHOICES impact parts of the game in some interesting ways but the ending is essentially the same regardless of what you do. The ending is very very disappointing and a bit of a kick in the n*ts I have no desire to replay it. Its on the level of crappiness as Lost and The matrix trilogies, there is no closure and brings up more questions. I would advise long term mass effect fans to hold on to their money and wait for a price drop or buy secondhand you owe to yourself to finish this trilogy, but don"t go in with high expectations. In many ways its a lot like Dragon age 2 a massive disappointment as far as its predecessors are concerned but a decent game nonetheless

And yes the DLC issue is messed up the character you get in my opinion is one of the best and explains quite alot, get it if you are a fan skip if you don"t care for the lore
  72. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics: 9/10
    Controls:9/10
    Replay: 9/10
    Story: 5/10

I've played every ME since it came out back in '07. I remember buying the collectors edition when I was a senior in high school and putting more time into that game than Oblivion. I am truly invested in the series and have likened it to the star wars of my time. Now, as a senior in college, I've spent far more hours than I should have replaying both to truly get the fullest experience I can out of this series. I love each character and have never been more connected to these fictional individuals. This is the first time I've ever written a review on any game, usually I don't have the time for it. This game has really given me mixed emotions. Those of you who have completed the game understand where most of the anger is coming from, but all have to agree that overall it is a great capstone to a groundbreaking series. The graphics are crisp, controls are far tighter than that of ME 1 or 2, and most of the story is rock solid. My first major disappointment with the game was my inability to have my custom character properly port into ME 3. I had the same character, whose appearance I agonized over in ME 1, since the beginning and was hugely let down by this bug. Hopefully Bioware will find a fix, but its a poor way to initially start. Everything else is great as I stated above, but when that final 10 minutes roles through I was speechless. A game that I invested alot of time and energy in left me with mixed emotions when the credits rolled. My character maintained a LI with Ashley from the first game, something I was hugely excited for. I wanted to see this relationship evolve and grow and it did for the most part. The end threw this completely out the window. I have no knowledge of what happened to her or any of my other squad-mates, just a lack luster CGI video that's 90% the same, with minor endings (that last couple of seconds is wonderful if you get the perfect ending), but its anticlimactic. I'm not a juvenile so I don't expect happy endings, but closure would be nice. I'd be fine if Shepard, whose life I sculpted over 3 games and had the privilege to be involved in, lived or died. Its just upsetting that 3 ridiculous decisions that came way out of left field serve as the ending. For those few who read this completely just know that you should most certainly play the game. Its a treasure and one of the most powerful media experiences I've had short of the Terminator 2 ending (haha). Don't let that last five minutes dissuade you from enjoying the fruits of your labor, as Bioware ties up just about everything very well. Thane's story was quite touching as was Legion's and most assuredly Mordin. The memorial wall in the Normandy is also a nice touch. But please, if someone from Bioware reads this, or if someone else sees this, know that the ending greatly disappointed me. Instead of being an end, clear cut, it left me with more questions and over analysis. Overall its a wonderful game, but it seems that those story leaks earlier in the development phase really took a toll. It really seems like the ending was just thrown in there as a quick fix. Good gaming everyone and thanks for reading one guy's opinion.
  73. Mar 8, 2012
    The Story arch is not a fitting end to the series.
    Multiplayer is a requirement for unlocking 25% of the ending content.
    The weapon choices are 75% useless. 1-2 best choices in every category. Battles are heavily scripted and generally very good, occasionally scripting problems, like enemies popping into existence. Plot relies heavily on cut scenes, which are often extremely frustrating
    The Story arch is not a fitting end to the series.
    Multiplayer is a requirement for unlocking 25% of the ending content.
    The weapon choices are 75% useless. 1-2 best choices in every category.
    Plot relies heavily on cut scenes, which are often extremely frustrating and invalidate player choices.
    Bioware keeps currency mini-game which is often nonsensical.
    Pacing is awful. No sense of urgency. Game often punishes player for not performing fed-ex style quests.
    RPG system feels tacked on to a mediocre shooter.
  74. Mar 8, 2012
    So I thought the game was pretty good. I found the combat to be less repetative then the last game and required some more tactics. Also the game does a good job of setting up the mood and maintaining that feeling of desperation. My only problem seems to be the same problem everyone else has with this game and that is the endings, they are far too simple and give no real explanation whatsoever.
  75. Mar 8, 2012
    This was an unfortunate step backward for the franchise, it's lost a large amount of its charm. Now mind you, this isn't as bad as the whole Dragon Age 2 fiasco, but Mass Effect was once a magical experience. That feeling of a fun sci-fi rpg has been cast aside for an action movie pornography that tries too hard to have a great story and in the process became a mediocre B movie. TheThis was an unfortunate step backward for the franchise, it's lost a large amount of its charm. Now mind you, this isn't as bad as the whole Dragon Age 2 fiasco, but Mass Effect was once a magical experience. That feeling of a fun sci-fi rpg has been cast aside for an action movie pornography that tries too hard to have a great story and in the process became a mediocre B movie. The animations do not look like that of a triple A title and its now Gears of War in Space, except with dialogue and romance options. If I wanted to play a visual novel I would Bioware. The game is heavily flawed and one could see why it's being so poorly received, the overly positive reviews are incredibly unsettling and makes me disgusted to see these gamers through away their dignity and integrity to defend a game and company, who do not deserve to be defended. Expand
  76. Mar 8, 2012
    If you have developed ANY sort of attachment to this series, be prepared to be extremely disappointed. Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful game, a testament to the industry, and worth every penny, but you will, ultimately, be let down. Before launch, BioWare assured its fanbase that the ending would be just that: an ending to Shepard's story, that all the questions would be answered, and that theIf you have developed ANY sort of attachment to this series, be prepared to be extremely disappointed. Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful game, a testament to the industry, and worth every penny, but you will, ultimately, be let down. Before launch, BioWare assured its fanbase that the ending would be just that: an ending to Shepard's story, that all the questions would be answered, and that the majority of fans would be pleased with the direction they took. This simply isn't true. The final scene is akin to the Deus Ex: Human Revolution "push a button" ending. It is a huge disappointment to an otherwise brilliant magnum opus. While your 'war assets' (a mechanic that keeps track of how well you're doing in preparation for the final assault) will play a small role in the multiple endings possible, you will not readily see the effects. The ending sequence is convoluted and cringe-worthy, breaking completely with the Mass Effect universe as a whole. BioWare chose an artsy sort of direction for the third installment and, frankly, it just does not fit with the first and second games at all. If anything, the ending will raise MORE questions. The decisions some characters make in-game during these last scenes are, well, extremely uncharacteristic. The secret clip after the credits is just insulting.

Despite the atrocious ending, the writing is otherwise in tip-top shape: many lines will bring a smile or a laugh, characters (despite the above) feel completely real, and the various sacrifices and hard decisions the game confronts you with will, in fact, hurt. The choices made in ME1 and ME2 will effect gameplay, but not in the hugely drastic way fans speculated. Familiar faces will return, old names will be dropped, even the squad's roles from ME2's Suicide Mission will be mentioned.
    Gorgeous lighting removes the Neanderthal faces Shepard and many characters had at times in ME2. Textures and graphics as a whole seem to be slightly less sharp, but this is offset by the new lighting, creating a beautiful atmosphere and a truly believable world. Combat is relatively smooth and every class can now carry whatever weapons the player desires, utilizing a weight system. The more guns (or the heavier they are) Shepard carries, the longer power cool-downs are. Guns can be upgraded and modded to fit a specific play style.
    Planet scanning and resource mining returns to a degree, but this mechanic is much less tedious. You now search for "war assets" to assist in the final battle. Large action set pieces are fun and engaging (despite a few oddly placed turret sections) and will leave lasting impressions. Several of these set pieces are the epitome of epic.

However, in a bizarre fit of back-tracking, BioWare has largely removed conversation options: it seems Shepard now runs the show, rather than the player acting through Shepard. Auto-dialogue is rampant. You will have an opportunity to say something for every three or eight lines Shepard says on his or her own, if given the option at all. The dialogue wheel has largely been reduced to two options, mainly Paragon and Renegade and the occasional Investigate and left-side Charm/Intimidate (and I really do mean "occasional"). Paragon seems to no longer mean "good" and Renegade no longer implies "evil", rather "diplomatic" and "direct", respectively. This new system presents a glaringly obvious illusion of choice in most cases: you're confronted with two slightly different ways of saying the same exact thing. Trigger Interrupts make a return and are still satisfying, but again, not in force as they were previously. The new Reputation system is a welcome change.
    Squadmates now usually engage in one-liners with Shepard (those familiar with Mass Effect 2's DLC characters will understand). This is disappointing on many levels. Because of the reduced squad size, we were promised increased interaction, and this, a teammate saying "Hey" and "Krogan sure are fierce, huh?" does not qualify as such. In some cases, Shepard responds. Do you have the option to chose what to say? No.

It feels as though Shepard is no longer an in-game personification of the player or a specific roleplay set-up. Shepard's responses can severely break character with whatever the player has developed. A previously down-right evil, real piece of work Shepard seems to very nearly tear up over the death of some random child during the opening sequence. And you don't get to decide how to respond. You're stuck with this character, rather than your own creation. My Shepards no longer feel "mine", I feel like I'm playing another game, with some other hero saving the galaxy. It is hurtful to know something one has placed hundreds of hours of one's life into has essentially been crushed.

This game is not 10 material, but it is certainly not a 0. Do not trust extremist reviews, whether critic or user: the only way to know for certain how you feel about this game is to play it yourself.
  77. Mar 8, 2012
    Most of the game is amazing:
    -Good combat
    -Great atmosphere -Amazingly done little details -A lot of very emotional moments -Some of the toughest and most heart wrenching decisions I've had to make -Thoroughly addicting and enjoyable (until the end). So-so stuff: -Slightly too much autodialogue. Not a huge deal though. -Effect of many previous choices given mention but not explicitly
    Most of the game is amazing:
    -Good combat
    -Great atmosphere
    -Amazingly done little details
    -A lot of very emotional moments
    So-so stuff:
    -Slightly too much autodialogue. Not a huge deal though.
    -Effect of many previous choices given mention but not explicitly detailed, left to your imagination (works for some)
    -Dialogue ranges from great to cringe inducing

The horrible:
    -Ending is some of the worst writing/storytelling of all time. NOT because it is a "sad" ending. Because it comes out of nowhere and makes no sense. It would take an essay to detail everything that is wrong with it. 90% of the game is awesome. By that measure, I could give it a 9/10. But endings are important.

Worth buying and playing.
  78. Mar 7, 2012
    While the shooting mechanics and gameplay are solid if a bit uninspired, the major selling point for this game, namely the freedom of choice associated with this title, have been stripped down by a considerable degree in comparison with the first two titles. The RPG elements (such as looting, exploration, ect) have been reduced to clicking the left trigger button and launching a pod, ifWhile the shooting mechanics and gameplay are solid if a bit uninspired, the major selling point for this game, namely the freedom of choice associated with this title, have been stripped down by a considerable degree in comparison with the first two titles. The RPG elements (such as looting, exploration, ect) have been reduced to clicking the left trigger button and launching a pod, if you're lucky enough to find anything (at least it beats scanning the planets...that really sucked). Contrary to the opinions of other reviewers, I thought the plethora of unhappy endings for this game were appropriate (after all, the Reapers are supposed to be a serious threat to existence, kind of like Hitler was to the rest of the World); however, some of the plotholes in the series make the storyline intolerable at places. Did you destroy the Rachni Queen in Mass Effect? Well, regardless of your decision in the first game, you get to look forward to seeing her again. This is the only plothole I have verified, but based on the lividness of other reviewers I have no doubt that more of them await me in a second playthrough.
    If plotholes and a lack of the RPG experience was not enough, I have learned now that in order to increase my "galactic readiness" level in the single player campaign, I must play the "Galaxy At War" multiplayer. Now, I'm not against multiplayer games or the multiplayer experience, but I bought this game with the (I believe reasonable) expectation that I would be able to completely control my virtual galaxy's fate (at least to the degree of control that my virtual Shepard could exert) without having to go through a (usually repetitive if not sometimes entertaining) multiplayer platform to achieve the results. Perhaps the Call of Duty franchise could have benefitted from this type of multiplayer-to-singleplayer tie-in, but a franchise that has grounded itself in a rewarding single player experience making a move like this is beyond risky from a business perspective, and IMO a downright disappointment. Perhaps the biggest flaw of this game is the choice of squadmates. I understand limiting the number of them to facilitate a deeper connections with the NPCs through more detailed dialogue, but with a series that has introduced me to such an overwhelming number of interesting characters already, why would I want to parade about the galaxy with Ronnie Coleman? Seriously, James Vega is easily one of the stupidest, flattest, and stereotypical characters I have ever had the displeasure to interact with virtually, and it was a very bad decision on Bioware's part to introduce him in the series when any, and I mean any, of the other characters I had previously been exposed to could have filled his spot on that limited roster. Combine those with two new "character introductions", and now my ship in this galaxy has been filled with quite a displeasing number of people that I would rather throw out the airlock than interact with on a deep, meaningful level. So I've said a lot of negative crap about this game and yet I am still giving it a five. Despite these flaws, which have pretty much ruined the experience for me, I understand that I am the only human being here with my very specific tastes and expectations, and that while some other hardcore fans of this series may be able to relate to my opinions about the ending to this trilogy, EA's sickening influence over this franchise has successfully introduced it to a large number of very different gamers. If you like contrived, mindless shooting like what you see in certain James Cameron movies and in too many games being rushed into production these days, then please go ahead and purchase this game; you will certainly not be disappointed in what this game has to offer. And while you're at it, buy the day-one DLC as well, which is an embarrassing stain on the gaming industry as a whole that will likely lead me to pirating one in every six games I buy, just to level the score for raping my wallet. But if you are like me, and you are a huge fan of the first game in this series, and at least a loyal fan despite watching EA's influence mar the quality of the second game in this series, then I would highly recommend you wait until this game is in the twenty-dollar bin at your local gaming store before you buy it because this game will be one disappointment after another from start to finish. Or better yet, don't buy it at all and let Bioware know that we, as fans of their effort on the first game in this series, will not buy any more of the garbage from the money-grubbing scum that like to call themselves Electronic Arts, and that includes Bioware games if they choose to remain associated with them. It really is a shame that a franchise with as much potential as this one was ultimately destroyed by greedy idiots trying to appeal to a larger audience despite the franchise's financial and critical success from jump street...
  79. Mar 7, 2012
    It's interesting that when the developers listen to the players and implement changes the fanbase was whining about, the same fanbase complains.

At any rate, Graphics - pretty flaky, even for this generation of consoles. Controls - pretty good, given it's not a keyboard/mouse Story - Excellent once you get started, though the presentation is rushed and obviously made for a current

At any rate,
    Graphics - pretty flaky, even for this generation of consoles.
    Controls - pretty good, given it's not a keyboard/mouse
    Story - Excellent once you get started, though the presentation is rushed and obviously made for a current generation of gamers with attention deficit disorder
    Gameplay - flaky at times, a complete tactical BOOYAH at others, sometimes an utterly blatant copy of Gears of War at others, often times it contains spots of brilliance in others.

The game certainly is polarizing. Some obviously love it, some obviously hate it. Some of the whinier people give it all zeroes because they are incapable of seeing the whole game, some others give it all tens to counteract the whiners. It's utterly sad there aren't more mixed reviews of the game.
  80. Mar 7, 2012
    The endings are terrible, there are numerous bugs with missions, and frequent frame rate problems and game freezes. Poor writing. The well crafted and interesting story from the two previous games is replaced with blatant and ineffective emotional ploys. It's as if every character in the game is going through an Emo Goth phase.

The beginning of the game doesn't even make sense unless you

The beginning of the game doesn't even make sense unless you opted to buy the last Mass Effect 2 DLC. Your storyline should not be dependent on option DLC.

ME1 and ME2 are in my top 10 favorite games of all time. ME3 is a failure and a strong indication that Bioware studios has lost it's way.
  81. Mar 7, 2012
    The past year has not been of Bioware's finest. Dragon Age 2 and The Old Republic were both slated to be AAA titles and had some commercial success, but felt to me rather lackluster overall. Mass Effect 3 has proved to be just as lackluster. Whether it's the poorly decided business choice of adding day one DLC or the glaringly obvious retcons, it's hard to find much good to say aboutThe past year has not been of Bioware's finest. Dragon Age 2 and The Old Republic were both slated to be AAA titles and had some commercial success, but felt to me rather lackluster overall. Mass Effect 3 has proved to be just as lackluster. Whether it's the poorly decided business choice of adding day one DLC or the glaringly obvious retcons, it's hard to find much good to say about Mass Effect 3. The gameplay mechanics are much smoother and the multiplayer helps keep this game from getting too negative a review. It's not terrible, but a rather average effort. Expand
  82. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a touchy subject for all fans of the first two in the series. The amazing thing about this game is that it is an emotional investment, every choice that is made appears to have far reaching consequences, or at least thats what we had believed. In Mass Effect 3, by the end of the game, all the choices you made really dont change the ending all that much, which is disappointing in a way but understandable because the whole series is about one goal and the ending must be the conclusion of that goal. so as to why people are so angry... i am not too sure.

the whole game, minus the ending, is very well paced, very fun to play and pretty well written. i find the major flaws to be the lack of conversation choice, which seems to guide the player into certain paths due to the lack of choice, but its definitely not hand holding. All in all, if you played the first two and imported that character, then i am sure you will have a great time. you have invested years into this series, it had to end somehow. my only big big gripes are with Biowares laziness, in not showing talis face directly, which when shown indirectly it is a photoshopped stock picture of a girl, and the after credit scene, also a stock photo. if you are investing years and years in a very in depth series, dont cut corners like that, you can write a whole species history and back story no problem but cant design your own winter landscape? righttttttt.

play this game if you loved the first two.
  83. Mar 7, 2012
    Cons: Interactive movie on wheels, extremely linear, and predictable. Another sub par EA game. Pros: Cost:Hours of Gameplay ratio still better than other forms of entertainment, but if you're short on cash borrow or rent this humdrum game.
  84. Mar 7, 2012
    The 3rd and final chapter in the Mass Effect series has some great scenery, outstanding combat lifted from part 2 and a decent, if cliched story but is marred by day one DLC(are you kidding me?) stunted facial animations and decisions that mean much less in this game than they did in the previous two. It still stands as a decent Bioware title, but you will be thinking the entire timeThe 3rd and final chapter in the Mass Effect series has some great scenery, outstanding combat lifted from part 2 and a decent, if cliched story but is marred by day one DLC(are you kidding me?) stunted facial animations and decisions that mean much less in this game than they did in the previous two. It still stands as a decent Bioware title, but you will be thinking the entire time that it could have been a little bit better. Expand
  85. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the latest installment of Biowareâ
  86. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 (okay, loathed the Mako and all that crap, but apart from that...) Mass Effect 3? Is a highly polished turd in comparison. The gameplay itself is better, smoother, prettier. The artwork is amazing. The plot? Ahahaha. BioWare decided to go all grimdark; nothing you do matters in the end, and you don't get a proper epilogue that tells you what happened to all your squadmates. No, you get a dude telling his grandson a story about "the Shepard." There is supposed to be some sort of payoff for the sense of urgency the game conveys so well, but no. You and your squaddies just get the shaft because of some badly written Space Magic. It's pretty much "a wizard did it."

Another couple of words I think I'll just leave here, because everyone will know what I mean: Jessica Chobot. :P

I won't be buying any more BioWare games on release day, and they've made it very obvious with their DLC and other marketing that they find the pay-to-win scenario extremely lucrative and worth continuing. So, sale rack it is from now on. For what it's worth, Garrus is one of my favorite characters ever in a game. That I enjoyed the characters (when they weren't being completely screwed over in ME3) is one of the reasons I'm not quitting BioWare completely.
  87. Mar 7, 2012
    Make no mistake, ME3 a good game and finale to one of the monumental video game series of this generation. Apart from the some Michael Bay'ed ultra bombasta-fest material that will make anyone with a monikom of taste and discretion want to retch (think ending of ME2 10-fold), this game hits hard on almost every level. What I don't abide is EA's approach to effecitively force gamers toMake no mistake, ME3 a good game and finale to one of the monumental video game series of this generation. Apart from the some Michael Bay'ed ultra bombasta-fest material that will make anyone with a monikom of taste and discretion want to retch (think ending of ME2 10-fold), this game hits hard on almost every level. What I don't abide is EA's approach to effecitively force gamers to purchase add-ons to experience the complete story -- a god awful milk-them-for-all-we-can strategy to compartmentalize and monetize what should be a cohesive and inclusive package. If you buy this game, know that you are in for a penny, in for a pound and are essentially voting for this sort of corporate malarky to continue. Expand
  88. Mar 7, 2012
    Just here to add to the hate for this game and how it was handled. Of course, this game is a critics darling--funny how the same critics have damned games that have day 1 DLC, but ME gets a free pass. Critics are inconsistent, and in no way objective about their reviews. They play favorites and do not hold all games to the same standards. I seriously used to read critic reviews to makeJust here to add to the hate for this game and how it was handled. Of course, this game is a critics darling--funny how the same critics have damned games that have day 1 DLC, but ME gets a free pass. Critics are inconsistent, and in no way objective about their reviews. They play favorites and do not hold all games to the same standards. I seriously used to read critic reviews to make informed purchases, but recently I've been avoiding them entirely. The past 3-4 games that I've enjoyed were slammed by critics for **** stupid reasons, and other games like this that shouldn't be forgiven or embraced, the critics gush over. Mass Effect was a great series, but this DLC garbage needs to stop. EA/Bioware, Capcom, Rockstar you seriously all need to stop cutting content out to sell to us later. We've had enough. Expand
  89. Mar 7, 2012
    Meh, boring as always. Story and character development are fine and necessary, but Mass Effect tends to spend too much time on its hackneyed story at the expense of being enjoyable to play.
  90. Mar 7, 2012
    the developers forgot the most important aspect of their own game - the face that the user creates for his/her Shepard, which cannot be imported. And the face mesh in ME3 looks cartoonish - the game looks like it was developed by a completely different crew that did not bother to give visual continuity to the game.

And if that was not enough - several key characters look unlike anything

And if that was not enough - several key characters look unlike anything in ME1 and ME2, one, Ashley, looks like a transvestite so bad the model is.
  91. Mar 6, 2012
    Have loved the mass effect series since the beginning. Have played quite a bit of this game there are just some things that really seem like they are over looked. First why did they have to add more stuff to the button to take cover. This is very frustrating sometimes when it does not does what you want it to. The graphics are great and so is the story there just seems to be parts of theHave loved the mass effect series since the beginning. Have played quite a bit of this game there are just some things that really seem like they are over looked. First why did they have to add more stuff to the button to take cover. This is very frustrating sometimes when it does not does what you want it to. The graphics are great and so is the story there just seems to be parts of the game that were forgotten. I really was hoping the cover system would be better then the second game and it is even worse. I would highly recommend this game I just give it a seven because they did not improve over the last one. The game was just made to make money not to satisfy fans and that cost it some in the production. Expand
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    i guess me3 is aite

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  93. Mar 6, 2012
    well im about 15 hours in and so far not so good. there are some technical issues on consoles but i guess that could be overlooked if the game looked a bit nicer, but ya the graphics are not that good especially the face and mouth work,which normally would not be a big deal but ME3 focuses a lot on character interaction and watching npc robot faces all with such similar voices too.ughhh.well im about 15 hours in and so far not so good. there are some technical issues on consoles but i guess that could be overlooked if the game looked a bit nicer, but ya the graphics are not that good especially the face and mouth work,which normally would not be a big deal but ME3 focuses a lot on character interaction and watching npc robot faces all with such similar voices too.ughhh. on pc im sure it will look considerably better but not on consoles.the combat is good and it seems they really focused on that instead of the story.....o the story.....its ok i guess but not anywhere as good as the final mass effect deserves and is incredibly easy....i dont know why game developers are making games with no challenge anymore.....why have a difficulty setting when only a retard would struggle with anything less than hard.....i guess people want an interactive movie more than a real game with challenge. multiplayer is pretty good but nothing we havent seen before in other big games. i keep reading that all the questions left open from the other games would be answered.....but sadly that does not seem to be the case, so far any attempt at this is has been short and dry. i really hope this picks up as i progress right now its pretty disappointing and from what i hear of the different endings (that they suck and rip off the first dues ex game) that disappointment seems like it may continue to the end Expand
  94. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is near perfection to me. Gameplay is fantastic, the set pieces beautiful, even the auto-dialogue isn't as bad as I thought. But then you get to the ending and... what the heck were they thinking? Now, don't get me wrong: the endings aren't THAT bad. The problem lies with the lack of closure that comes right after 'em. Is our happy ending really a 2 second clip of Shepard gasping in the midst of rubble and the Normandy crew gazing wistfully at a new horizon? There simply should be more. I need to see Shepard get up. I need to see the Normandy crew on Earth, re-uniting with their Commander. But we don't. I suppose this "happy ending" can imply that all these things are happening but a good story shouldn't end with blanks that need your imagination to fill in. If it weren't for these endings, I would give this game a 9. It would have knocked ME1 right of its throne as my number 1 game. Unfortunately, BioWare decided to half-ass the ending of an RPG trilogy. It shouldn't end with more questions! I dislike the lack of closure so much that I'm starting to have doubts if I can ever return to ME1 & 2. I wish, I wish... an extra cut scene or two. Expand
  95. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes for ME3, Ive been a fan since the beginning. I like the game so far, gameplay is vastly improved, dialogue is strong, everything that was bad about the first two games was corrected in ME3. I feel like I have less dialogue choices now. there's no middle option, so that detracted my experience a little bit. Overall, this game is quite enjoyable, and a nice fitting end to Mass Effect. I like the characters, some have developed, The little retcons here and there are annoying but bearable, but it is kind of sad. Gameplay is fantastic, plays a bit like a Gears of War clone, but it still plays better. The sound and music are phenomenal, and the Graphics have improved, but could be better. Im giving it a 7 because despite the pros of the game, EA/Bioware have destroyed this game. their marketing strategies, dlc, day one dlc that has a pretty important character, and the feeling that it's about making money rather than making a great game. dont get me wrong, it's a fun game, but it could have been even better than what it was if the meta stuff was removed. EA, you are a terrible company. Bioware, you have lost a fan. this is my last EA/Bioware game I will ever buy, despite the fun I am having, you have lost a fan. Expand
  96. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware has done it again. The mediocrity and senselessness of the series has been revamped in order to attract the CoD audience. In this they probably succeeded. Unfortunately the graphics area diamond dozen. It is a doggy dog world when the reapers win at the end, leading to a crippling defeat of your entire crew. Scattered across the universe or committing suicide, Shepard has noBioware has done it again. The mediocrity and senselessness of the series has been revamped in order to attract the CoD audience. In this they probably succeeded. Unfortunately the graphics area diamond dozen. It is a doggy dog world when the reapers win at the end, leading to a crippling defeat of your entire crew. Scattered across the universe or committing suicide, Shepard has no choice but to do the best he can and end the game before Bioware tries to create another sequel. He commits shamefur Dispray by not doing much in the game and instead focusing on the tacked on multi-player portion and the tablet applications sold separate.

Overall a fantastic way to waste some time and money. If you are one gamers who use Facebook, Reddit, 9gag, Something Awful, or Twitter, get this game. You will not regret it.
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    Two words: AUTO DIALOGUE - even in story or RPG mode, the game rips away the controls and choices given to the player in the previous games. Want Shepard to say "x"? Too bad, he's going to spout cliched action movie lines for 5 minutes whether you like it or not. The spoken dialogue of the rest of the cast is just as bad. The absolute disdain for the player is obvious the entire time:Two words: AUTO DIALOGUE - even in story or RPG mode, the game rips away the controls and choices given to the player in the previous games. Want Shepard to say "x"? Too bad, he's going to spout cliched action movie lines for 5 minutes whether you like it or not. The spoken dialogue of the rest of the cast is just as bad. The absolute disdain for the player is obvious the entire time: This game thinks you are a moron, and has done everything it can to take away any opportunity for you to have fun with it. The action is dull, formulaic and predictable. The story is the worst type of pandering to the people Bioware want to play their games, i.e. the pubescent teenagers and creepy talimancers. Mac Walters has to be the worst game writer of his generation. This game blows. Expand
  98. Mar 6, 2012
    Gameplay was so-so, I felt it was slightly clunky. It was fun using the biotic moves, but it felt a bit too easy, might try it on a harder difficulty next playthrough.
    When it came down to story, it seemed as if they were shaping the ideas yet it came together badly, the ending felt unfufilling and there was no subtle denoument. It felt rushed and over-complicated the condition of the Reapers, it would've done well sticking with simple concepts but taken through with more creativity.
    Graphics are quite well done. the pre-rendered cutscenes were nice to watch. I noticed some areas were re-skinned from ME2 though. And some animations were also taken from the second Mass Effect. Also, there are noticeably less dialogue choices than in the first two games, and some didn't carry on the way I had intended. I don't know if this was done purposefully or to perpetuate hopelessness but it wasn't as satisfying.
    If you have some spare change and you want something different, please go ahead and play the game. I suggest to start with the first one though and make your opinion as you progress. Not BioWare's best, but not exactly its worst either.

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.