5.7

1. Dec 15, 2014
    This is easily the poorest offering Bioware has given us in many a year, and by far the worst of the Mass Effect trilogy. The original, ME1, was one of my all-time favorite CRPGs. I didn't like a lot of the changes they made to ME2 so much, because they made it more like a FPS and less like a CRPG, but I was able to tolerate the changes because the story was still pretty good. MassThis is easily the poorest offering Bioware has given us in many a year, and by far the worst of the Mass Effect trilogy. The original, ME1, was one of my all-time favorite CRPGs. I didn't like a lot of the changes they made to ME2 so much, because they made it more like a FPS and less like a CRPG, but I was able to tolerate the changes because the story was still pretty good. Mass Effect 3 unfortunately retains and even furthers the FPS feel of the game, eroding what little RPG element is left, and doesn't even make up for this with story this time -- the story is terrible.

Probably the #1 issue I have with ME3 is that, far more than the others, it felt like a game on rails. There were very few options, very few choices, and almost no cases where the "choices" they gave you felt like they made any difference. Gone are any real stories relating to your crew-mates. There are none of those. It seems totally random which past crew mates Bioware gives you back again and which ones refuse to re-join you. There are hardly any conversations on the ship with your crew-mates any more, and no chance to do things like learn about them or earn any loyalty. The crew stories are basically gone, and replaced by nothing -- there are no other story elements in their stead.

Another problem, at least on the Xbox, is the menu system, which is absolutely horrid. For some unfathomable reason, Bioware combined the Journal and the Codex, which is absolutely infuriating - it glows with "new entries" even when they are only just codex entries and not new quests. The side and main quests share the same menu now, which makes for an almighty mess, and there is no "completed" mission menu so by the end of the game you have this list that is like 80 items tall, and the UI always puts you in the middle of it, buried in the "completed" missions, forcing you to scroll up 20 or 3 items to get to the active quests. And then there is the issue that they tell you what planet something is on but NOT the system or the cluster, and they don't mark most quests on the galaxy map, so you have to randomly hop around from sector to sector trying to find quest locations. This is really stupid, as the girl assisting you even says she has marked stuff on your galaxy map (but she just hasn't). This feels like Bioware were just being jerks trying to make my life harder than it needed to be.

Finally, I will rant a little bit about the ending. If you've heard anything about it, you've probably heard the rumor that the ending is horrible. All I can say about this is - the haters are UNDER-selling it. The ending is absolutely terrible. I'm not sure who at Bioware thought they should end their epic trilogy with a Morton's Fork type of dilemma, but I found it very forced and very unsatisfying. Also, the explanation for "everything that has been happening in galactic history" was really, REALLY lame.

In the end, it felt like Bioware had a bunch of different ideas, wasn't sure which one would work, half-implemented all of them, and then slapped it together into a package and called it "done." There was too much mindless combat, and not enough interesting conversation options in this game. It's a poor successor to the first two MEs and does not deserve to share their name. The only good thing I can say is that the voice acting is still pretty good, and the basic way combat worked was enjoyable (although HIGHLY repetitive). The game is playable, but only as a shooter. Not for the story or RPG elements. Those things, which are normally Bioware strengths, were the major weaknesses of this game.
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Overall I enjoyed this game and the prior series. I've played it multiple times as a new game and importing a previously played character from ME1, ME2, and ME3, and as a male and female, and that had full Paragon and Renegade so I got my moneys worth out of it.
    What I found disappointing is that not all of the choices I made in ME1 and ME2 affected my ME3 character. For example: I know I destroyed the Collector base, but in my imported game it said I saved it, and the illusive man even mentions it in conversation that I saved it, but I know I destroyed it.
    I also didn't like they way they changed the look of Ashley! She looks like Miranda.
    I didn't have a problem with the graphics or sound. I think they were good. I don't recall if there was music, but if so I usually turn off the music in my games so I can't comment on it.
    I bought and downloaded the weapons packages only to find out that in some of the missions you get better ones, like rescuing the student on the space station (where Jack is teaching, if you saved Jack) so that DLC was a waste of money.
    The searching for minerals was rather tedious, but better then ME1's way of collecting them.
    And the other DLC missions should have been part of the game or at least free to download/add on.
    I'm really torn between giving this game a 7 or 8. I'd like to give the game a 7.5. Maybe I'm cheap, but I'm going to give a 7 just because the DLC weapons, additional uniform, and mission should have been part of the game or available for download.
  3. Dec 17, 2013
    MASS EFFECT 3 is an excellent game with a top notch story, gameplay and the presentation is phenomenal. Bioware couldn't have ended the Sheppard trilogy any better. Throughout its 12 hour campaign i never got bored and just wanted more, the game is vast and you will have a lot of locations and planets to visit before the finale on earth and the ending is spectacular but not to everyone'sMASS EFFECT 3 is an excellent game with a top notch story, gameplay and the presentation is phenomenal. Bioware couldn't have ended the Sheppard trilogy any better. Throughout its 12 hour campaign i never got bored and just wanted more, the game is vast and you will have a lot of locations and planets to visit before the finale on earth and the ending is spectacular but not to everyone's tastes, which i understand. Its a (A,B,C) ending with very little differences but it was well written, even with the extended cut version there were still plot holes which need explaining big time Expand
  4. Aug 17, 2013
    At first, I gave this game a 9 for the fact that the music wasn't as rushed as ME2 majority of sounndtracks, for their aesthetically-compensating atmosphere, the moderate depth in characters' feelings about the Reaper War and the improved gameplay movement, flow, speed and resolution, although the power recharge system is still there which was kind of a bummer since ME2 you can'tAt first, I gave this game a 9 for the fact that the music wasn't as rushed as ME2 majority of sounndtracks, for their aesthetically-compensating atmosphere, the moderate depth in characters' feelings about the Reaper War and the improved gameplay movement, flow, speed and resolution, although the power recharge system is still there which was kind of a bummer since ME2 you can't constantly use powers without having them all charging just to use one power. And the soundtracks were absoulute emotional originality! However, despite thinking and thinking more about how MUCH potential this game seriously had, I realized that the EA gaining full control of the franchise after ME2 was just middle finger to veteran fans and a cynical step TOO FAR! The flaws are established; The villains weren't at their most authentic evil, like Kai Leng, who I thought was a superficial rather than a dangerous assassins, Harbinger not getting enough establishment at all, Sovereign was by far the most terrifying verbally and villanous character in the trilogy from ME1, no planetary exploration and instead like ME2, you get an even worse and less captivating side missions just to prolong the original game time, storyline was the main crap that was a bloody punch to the face by Bioware to all of us ME fans, the vaguely rushed, inexplicable and confusing endings were just a mockery to the entire trilogy!! Bioware needs to get their magic back that once manifested in ME and ME... ME3 just had NO diversity in missions, not enough ndifferent enemies, and the most ridiculous of them all, is on the Insanity mode, you instantly get cheap deaths by three randomly stupid husks and a ridiculously annoying Marauder shooting at you while your Shepard is annoyingly shaking from the targetting system, preventing you to kill that last idiot! Bioware just shoved their heads down with EA, not enough impact from decision making from the previous ME and ME2 decisions, although the Javik and Citadel party DLC's were fun, this was just overall bullcrap to me. Satisfactory for gameplay, but replay value for story and real gameplay is no worth whatsoever. BIOWARE MAKE MASS EFFECT 4 COUNT whatever you tend to call the next game! Expand
  5. Jul 31, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 refines the combat and action of the previous games and presents a conclusion to the story with plenty of memorable moments and tough decisions. However, the pacing dulls a bit, the game becomes repetitive and predictable and the ending, while good in concept, was poorly executed. Not the best in the series, but in the end, a decent game nonetheless if you can overlook the flaws.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    I think what hurts this game most is its own hype. By being the final installment of a trilogy, it has a tremendous amount of pressure to tie all loose ends and satisfy story arcs so that gamers will be whetted for a new hero and new series.
    If one plays this stand-alone, which I think is a ridiculous idea, but the game is set up to accustom one for such a scenario it would rank much higher.
    But as part of a set and the end of that set, it grades lower. The ending, is such a punch, It really robs the whole theme of the trilogy, perseverance. There was an attempt to fix it, and it works for some, not for others.
    There is good here, it doesn't deserve the absolute bottom of the barrel scores. The Multiplayer gets little mention but has a lot of options as far as if you play an alien, guns, level buildup. When the game was young MP was bustling, but now is old enough the updates have stopped it will be a slow death for it.
  7. May 30, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 was a great improvement from Mass Effect 2, but it falls flat in a lot of areas. To its credit, Mass Effect 3 has much more intelligent A.I and your enemies use more coordinated attacks and aren't as predictable but this game still continues to be mediocre. I liked the campaign, because once again it had great characters and side missions that weren't delivery missions, butMass Effect 3 was a great improvement from Mass Effect 2, but it falls flat in a lot of areas. To its credit, Mass Effect 3 has much more intelligent A.I and your enemies use more coordinated attacks and aren't as predictable but this game still continues to be mediocre. I liked the campaign, because once again it had great characters and side missions that weren't delivery missions, but without ripping apart its ending, Mass Effect 3 doesn't have the same appeal as Mass Effect 1. It seems that they're straying away from its original RPG elements and becoming more of a tactical shooter. It's not bad in that setting, but I loved the original for being its own unique little adventure. This isn't a bad game, but not my favorite. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    Well, again a mixed bag. The game is quite amazing up until that dang ending man. MP is fun, even a year into it, and still rolling on. The one thing that holds this game down is that crap ending.
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 has it's flaws and I am not sure how to judge those. The franchise really has identity issues.
    The game has done things right: graphics, soundtrack, combat, multiplayer, these "touching moments"... yet it still fails to satisfy completely. Some important story-arcs are completely cut off, certain characters were simply dismissed, side-missions are almost non-existent, the writing is laughable at points and (this has already been discussed to death) the terrible ending happened.

I don't know if more time for the development would have helped, but this game seemed rushed and unfinished at every end. It was an enjoyable game up until the ending, but certainly not the outstanding quality fans are used to.
  10. Mar 26, 2013
    I absolutely LOVED this game, but the only problem I have, and this was a HUGE problem, is the ending. The ending was just SO terrible it's not even funny. I was so disappointed.
  11. Mar 16, 2013
    I'll start right off the bat that Mass Effect 3 is a good game.It isn't as good as Mass Effect 1 & 2 and as a final part of Commander Shephard's story it doesn't fully deliver. The choices you made in the last games don't effect the story that much and the ending seems forced and not fitting at all. It is easily the weakest of the otherwise amazing trilogy.
  12. Feb 11, 2013
    Boy, talk about a game developer living by the idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This could easily be a Mass Effect 2 expansion pack as it plays, feels, and looks just like the previous game. And although this would seem like a good thing, the story is now bogged down by too many chance encounters and contrived story telling. I don't want to by chance run into everything characterBoy, talk about a game developer living by the idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This could easily be a Mass Effect 2 expansion pack as it plays, feels, and looks just like the previous game. And although this would seem like a good thing, the story is now bogged down by too many chance encounters and contrived story telling. I don't want to by chance run into everything character I ran with in the previous game in a massive universe unless it makes sense to and ME 3 forces me to see my fellow squad mates in the most random and coincidental ways that it makes it all feel icky.
    The game has been replaced by all out action which will keep some people happy. It just lacks the heart of the first 2 games. Which is odd because its supposed to be a game the deals with the possible idea of extinction and instead of dealing with that, Im babbling politics with a krogan and turian? Boo
  13. Feb 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Positives:
    -Story is engaging and ties subplots together well
    -Refined game play mechanics
    -Character leveling is well balanced
    -Most choices made in ME1 2 are reflected (some much more than others)
    -Multiplayer is well executed

Negatives:
    -Day of release DLC (800 MS Points)
    -Freddy Prinze Jr
    -Shoehorned Jessica Chobot cameo
    -Several loose ends in the story are "tied" up with e-mails
    -Citadel is still (circa ME2) confined to a few small areas of exploration
    -Insignificance of War Assets!!!!

The game is centered around the final battle between the Reapers and a unified army of races. Shepard must gain as many 'war assets' as possible before the showdown begins. This is why ME3 is fun. It's up to you to resolve long standing conflicts and issues so that a unified galaxy will stand against the invincible Repears. All the time, narrative and game play involved in series builds up to a finale that thousands of fans have imagined for over 5 years. Yet, this is where Bioware fell short, so very very short.

It's not so much that I am essentially given three identical options for how the game will end. Rather, it's the fact that nothing I did since ME1 resulted in any kind of variance for the ending. Where are the mercs I secured through Aria? What about the friggin Krogan and Salarians? Why doesn't anything I accomplished matter?

Bioware released DLC in an effort to shed more light on the "ending they wanted to tell". This failed since the ending they wanted to tell sucked in the first place. Shedding more light on a pile of dog sh*t won't make it more pleasant to smell.

For such an engaging and fun series, ME was not granted the resolution it deserves. I don't know why Bioware chose the route that it did. Unfortunately, you can't unsee what has already been seen.
  14. Feb 8, 2013
    Decent. The multiplayer addition is basically crap. It's just a whole lot of forced grinding against standard waves of enemies. The single player was great but the ending was absolutely embarrassingly bad. Bioware's PR is atrocious as well.
  15. Jan 17, 2013
    As a fan of the series, this game deviated from its original roots as a predominant RPG with shooter elements to now a predominately a shooter with a skin of a RPG elements. Even neglecting the rampant on disk DLC and plot hole ridden ending, the game is blatantly average. As a shooter it is adequate offering the staple cover shooter. However, the cover mechanics are often clunky inAs a fan of the series, this game deviated from its original roots as a predominant RPG with shooter elements to now a predominately a shooter with a skin of a RPG elements. Even neglecting the rampant on disk DLC and plot hole ridden ending, the game is blatantly average. As a shooter it is adequate offering the staple cover shooter. However, the cover mechanics are often clunky in comparison to other games in the same genre. The game has roughly the same RPG elements as Mass Effect 2, while limiting, adds at least some flavor to the shooter Bioware/EA have turned the series into. The gameplay is not where Mass Effect 3 does poorly. It is the practices regarding story-necessary DLC and essentially the last 20 minutes of the game's story. The game wraps up many of the persisting conflicts of the series, only to introduce rampant deus ex machina and plot holes in the games final minutes. The altered Extended Cut DLC fails to address many of these plot holes as well. Bioware games are usually renown for their story and setting, but this game essentially throws this all to the wayside and leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many fans of the franchise. In all, the end result is an average cover-shooter and a series whose universe is tarnished in the name of "artistic integrity". Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been a long time fan of the series but I feel this is by far the worst of the trilogy. I'd give it a 6.5 if I could. Spoilers below but will try to keep it vague.

Pros: Felt like they did a good job building up to an epic conclusion.
    A lot of dialogue and the decision about the genophage was the hardest decision I had in the series.
    For me, ending did a good job tugging on emotions.

Cons: They completely killed any meaning behind choices. Choices from previous games are whittled down to very small/short parts which are then boiled down to a readiness number for ending purposes.
    In the end you really realize there was no purpose behind any choice.
    Ending does a poor job of wrapping up the series and really felt flat.
  17. Jan 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ME3 is one the best games of the year, but there are huge problems also like the dialouge circle doesn't much through out the story and the biggest problem was the ending, in ME1 & ME2 your decisions matter for the sake of the story but in ME3 just takes that out completly and the ending you have 3 options : Control Reapers, Destroy all synthethic life, or synthesize all organic and synthetic life together and all the endings
    are the same and are different only alittle. The good things about ME3 is THE GRAPHICS, THE CAMPAIGN, THE GAMEPLAY. But I say that ME3 is my least fave ME game.
  18. Dec 26, 2012
    Mediocre end to a great. I am a fan of the ME world, but ME3 was just above average. The importing of character relationships and decisions was great, but how they showed what your actions only made me go "ok, cool". And kinect didn't help much... But even with all that, I enjoyed myself quite a bit.
  19. Dec 25, 2012
    Even without the infamous ending, this game is still a mess. The patches and DLC have made improvements but many plot problems still stand. It's still an enjoyable game but could have been so much better, and the ending can ruin what preceeded for many people.
  20. Dec 14, 2012
    This game was good, I enjoyed most of it. Mainly because by the time it kept getting closer to then end, it got a little retarded. For some reason, an anchor lady knows Kung-Fu. I laughed my head off at that part, and then the endings were AWFUL. They were bland, or at least that's what I though, and they were all way too similar, only with slight differences.
  21. Nov 11, 2012
    How dare you Bioware! How dare you release a game that was awesome but not as awesome as it should have been! How dare you even toy with the notion of giving players options and then not have a unique ending for every single player that picks up a controller and enjoys every your enormous trilogy? How dare you actually CREATE something and try things instead of churning out the same stapleHow dare you Bioware! How dare you release a game that was awesome but not as awesome as it should have been! How dare you even toy with the notion of giving players options and then not have a unique ending for every single player that picks up a controller and enjoys every your enormous trilogy? How dare you actually CREATE something and try things instead of churning out the same staple crap year in and year out. How dare you omit details like what quarians look like under their suits, but instead give us the unknown origins of krogan and geth civilisations.
    Bah, this is like Ewoks in Jedi all over again!
  22. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (continued)
    And no more is this evident than in the ending
  23. Oct 16, 2012
    The closing epic Mass Effect trilogy is here, and with it we deserved conclusion to five years of prodigious adventures. The latest saga of Commander Shepard is up to the quality standards of the saga of BioWare, and despite some complaints interpelarle can focus their efforts almost exclusively on the main story, the fact is that it is a wonderful event and uploaded action and emotionalThe closing epic Mass Effect trilogy is here, and with it we deserved conclusion to five years of prodigious adventures. The latest saga of Commander Shepard is up to the quality standards of the saga of BioWare, and despite some complaints interpelarle can focus their efforts almost exclusively on the main story, the fact is that it is a wonderful event and uploaded action and emotional moments. A good game say what you say. Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2012
    Good game. But has a lot of cons.
  25. Aug 31, 2012
    The gameplay (i.e. combat) is good. The graphics are amazing. The presentation and story is bad. Sidequests involve either flying somewhere and shooting Cerberus people in a combat zone, or using the Galaxy map to scan planets. That's it - scan planets. You don't actually VISIT the planets, you just scan them, which allows to to magically recover artifacts, and rescue entire races. ByThe gameplay (i.e. combat) is good. The graphics are amazing. The presentation and story is bad. Sidequests involve either flying somewhere and shooting Cerberus people in a combat zone, or using the Galaxy map to scan planets. That's it - scan planets. You don't actually VISIT the planets, you just scan them, which allows to to magically recover artifacts, and rescue entire races. By pressing the scan button. These sidequests are picked up by eavesdropping on people's conversations in the Citadel (which, by the way, is the ONLY hub in the entire game... funny how everyone wants to meet you on the Citadel - there's nowhere else to go). "Hey dude, heard you talking on the phone to your buddy, saying you needed an antidote to a Reaper poison... I just happened to travel to a planet, and bring you back the antidote... here ya go." "Orly? Thats... awfully convenient... thanks?" You do get to meet your allies from Mass Effect 2, but it's more like "Oh hey Grunt/ Samara/ Jacob, how're things? What's that, you'd like me to kill some stuff for you? Sure. OK, we've killed all the stuff... guess I'll catch you later." It is nice to see how small decisions from ME1/2 played out, but you only really get to see it in small ways, like extranet messages. And finally, the ending seems to have been written by someone with no grasp of concepts like "logic", and is probably the most unsatisfying experience I've ever had with a franchise I used to love. Oh, and the DLC? With ME2, DLC like Shadow Broker was great since it added to the game and expanded on the universe and the characters - this Leviathan DLC is basically pointless for people who have finished the game. In short, the game looks great, but really disappoints - the polar oppoosite to the game that started it off, the first Mass Effect. Expand
  26. Aug 18, 2012
    I absolutely loved Mass effect 1 and 2, the character interaction, the combat and the story were sublime, mass effect 3 delivers this experience in a very mediocre fashion, while playing, I didn't feel the rush I felt when playing Mass effect 2, I felt like I was really in control of what I did, whereas in Mass effect 3 I feel like some of the choices were made for me, there seemed to beI absolutely loved Mass effect 1 and 2, the character interaction, the combat and the story were sublime, mass effect 3 delivers this experience in a very mediocre fashion, while playing, I didn't feel the rush I felt when playing Mass effect 2, I felt like I was really in control of what I did, whereas in Mass effect 3 I feel like some of the choices were made for me, there seemed to be less conversation options and I feel like I had less control. The ending was absolutely horrid and did not conclude ANYTHING, in the way it should have. This however was "fixed" by the extended cut DLC which was free, but I more or less knew how the endings would be with the extended cut before it came out, **** covered in sprinkles, it relieved a lot of anger for some people, but not for me, its not a fitting ending at all, I think this game could have been so much more. Overall I did enjoy it, but nowhere near as good as the previous installment in the trilogy. Expand
  27. Aug 16, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a journey that tugs at heart strings, makes you ask big questions and ends multiple story archs. The Mass Effect trilogy has been phenomenal, and has excelled in scope and story telling although the illusion of choice is ever present. While I invested my time in Mass Effect 3 it soon became clear that the game was telling an end of the story from the very beginning. ThisMass Effect 3 is a journey that tugs at heart strings, makes you ask big questions and ends multiple story archs. The Mass Effect trilogy has been phenomenal, and has excelled in scope and story telling although the illusion of choice is ever present. While I invested my time in Mass Effect 3 it soon became clear that the game was telling an end of the story from the very beginning. This is how I suggest you treat the game.The multiplayer is a fun edition and greatly expands the life of the product it was not somthing I asked for but fun regardless. It is not without fault so i cannot in good conscience give it a amazing score cause it is not. These faults are very minor and do not subtract from the game very much i.e. Trouble finding quest related people on map, lackluster epilogue, your choices do not feel as important as it could be and multiplayer connection problems. The game is great overall and deserves a 7/10 I recommend you buy it, you could do a lot worse. Expand
  28. Aug 9, 2012
    Okay, NOW I realize why people would be disappointed, though I disagree with those saying the game is god awful. Yes, EA monetized the crap out of this game, but that's no where the game fails, that's just bad business practice of the publisher funding the game's development. First, the positives. The combat has been refined and is pretty much as good as it can get at this point, althoughOkay, NOW I realize why people would be disappointed, though I disagree with those saying the game is god awful. Yes, EA monetized the crap out of this game, but that's no where the game fails, that's just bad business practice of the publisher funding the game's development. First, the positives. The combat has been refined and is pretty much as good as it can get at this point, although the new weight system hits infiltrators and non-power based classes REALLY hard. So I have to pick between having all my guns and almost never being able to use Adrenaline Rush now? That's stupid! (Wow, this got negative fast). That negative aside, the AI has been improved and enemy variety and behaviour has improved significantly, it's just slightly irritating most of the time it's cerberus and not the Reapers you're fighting (How did Cerberus build an army of millions in barely half a year, when they're known as a terrorist organisation?). Weapon modding is back and now it also has a visual effect as well as a gameplay effect, which is cool. It's not as deep as ME1's weapon modding system, but it spares us of that horrible inventory system and combined with ammo powers it integrates very well into the gameplay. Also, we get more gun variety and armour variety, which is always a good thing. So essentially combat is much better than before, so why is this game only a 7? It's Mass Effect! It should like a 9 or a 10, right? Well, unfortunately here are many negatives that hold this game back. The intro is boring and sloppy, especially compared to ME2. The reason is one, no dramatic opening and two, a crap ton of auto-dialogue (I'll be getting to that in a minute, believe me). As I'm re-familiarizing myself with the game mechanics I can't get invested into the story because in order to get invested into the story I must have reasonable knowledge of the game mechanics. Placing a major plot point at the time of a tutorial is probably the worst thing you can do with the intro. ME2 did this right, where I only had to run and move the camera in a controlled environment, so I could get invested in the story. The more advanced mechanics were saved for later when nothing as important was happening. The next negative is auto-dialogue, and it's over abundance. WHY? WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN LOADS OF AUTO-DIALOGUE IN A GAME BASED AROUND DIALOGUE CHOICES? That makes NO sense and just robs the player of the feeling that their Shepard is really theirs, and destroys immersion and the freedom the player previously experienced. The next negative is the abandonning of the build-up of ME1 and ME2, specifically Harbinger and the Dark matter plot. For those that don't know, ME3 was supposed to have a plot that revolved around dark matter but was abandoned for the whole "Synthetic vs Organic" thing. This leaves returning players confused as to what's going on and de-means the previous games. Not good. As for Harbinger, he was clearly set-up as the main villain in ME2, why reduce him to a glorified heavy hitter at the end? WHY? Everyone was looking forward to confronting the Harbinger why rob us of that? More abandonning of the build-up of the previous games. So second from last we have the problem that the story itself is more linear and interrupts and dialogue choices don't affect a conversation like they used to. They are generally just there for flavour and that's it now, which a shame considering how genius interrupts were as a concept and how well ME2 did them. And now to everyones favourite part, the ending. Where to begin... Well, even with the EC (Extended cut) it makes ZERO sense, and completely contradicts the themes of the Mass Effect franchise. It's disgusting. Your choices don't matter (As if EMS made your choices matter anyway LOL) apart from this one final choice and they don't even commit to Shepard dying. The EC provides the bare minimum character closure required and closes a few plotholes but it ends up trading them for more plotholes so it really is not much better and the character closure has been done before and BETTER with Dragon Age: Origins. Now THAT was an ending. This game is still very solid and enjoyable even if it is has some serious flaws. It still has those "Magic Mass Effect" moments, and the characters are as cool and well-written as ever (Apart from Vega) with their arcs coming full circle now, but compared to the other two ME games it doesn't even come close to reaching their levels of greatness. There are other complaints, such as the shafting of the ME2 cast, and a lot of fridge logic moments, and the fetch quests, but I could keep going for hours. All you need to know is this game is solid, but if you were expecting an amazing finale, prepare to be disappointed. Expand
  29. Aug 6, 2012
    I rented this for a solid month.While,I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon,it's certainly a good pickup if you're into it.The atmosphere is great.Every area and fight is certainly distinct.The characters and AI are great.

However,the fights and talk sequences are very monotonous.I just don't enjoy this series as much as others.The generic feel kind of throws me off. Overall

Overall Mass Effect 3 is a very good game.It has solid features and is very enjoyable.But it's more of a rental,as opposed to a buy."Mass Effect 3" gets a 7/10.
  30. Jul 31, 2012
    A very big disappointment. You can tell bioware (EA especially) went to large lengths to make this game mainstream. As a result, we get an actioner that has few bright moments that gave us a peek of what the game could have been with diligence in development, instead of rushed release dates. Few ambitions are achieved in Mass Effect 3, despite its core being pretty solid in its own right.A very big disappointment. You can tell bioware (EA especially) went to large lengths to make this game mainstream. As a result, we get an actioner that has few bright moments that gave us a peek of what the game could have been with diligence in development, instead of rushed release dates. Few ambitions are achieved in Mass Effect 3, despite its core being pretty solid in its own right. Perhaps we expected too much. But I have a feeling they could have delivered. Expand
  31. Jul 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ME3 was a good game the combat was fun and most of the story was good. The problems start with no ME2 squad mates on the Normandy, the love interests have very limited interactions, and less for ME2 li, we don't get to see Tali's face, etc. The star-child is forced into the story, and all the endings are anti-heroic in my opinion even with the extended cut it still sucks. But you should try for yourself. Expand
  32. Jul 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3... I patiently waited to play you, holding back my urge to play demo's and watch gameplay so that this final experience would be special. And it was very special, until the end. Gameplay and combat wise, Mass Effect 3 absolutely excels. I had a blast playing through all of the missions and it scores a 9.5 here. As for the plot (before the end), It was solid but they couldMass Effect 3... I patiently waited to play you, holding back my urge to play demo's and watch gameplay so that this final experience would be special. And it was very special, until the end. Gameplay and combat wise, Mass Effect 3 absolutely excels. I had a blast playing through all of the missions and it scores a 9.5 here. As for the plot (before the end), It was solid but they could have worked a lot more of the intricacies developed early in the series into this final story, it scores an 8.5 here. The end... oh the disappointing end. Even after the director's cut extended ending, I found myself saying "why Bioware?" Essentially, they added a insipid slideshow recapping what you just accomplished, that's all. This ending to my favorite sci-fi trilogy nearly shattered my love of the games. This ending scores a 2. Mass Effect 3 was supposed to end it all, and end it well. I would have taken sub-par gameplay and no multiplayer in a heartbeat for at least a decent ending. Expand
  33. Jul 13, 2012
    Won't be buying any more Mass Effect games in the future. Bought this one and expected a good rpg experience, instead I got a third-person shooter with some tacked on "rpg" elements, crappy cover mechanics and aim-assist that you couldn't turn off. Thank you very much BioWare/EA for ruining a good sci-fi rpg, it had so much potential but you had to go and **** it up so you could sell more copies.
  34. Jul 8, 2012
    played ME 3 as a first timer and couldn't get past the second to end stage. Bought ME 2 and plated through that twice and each time imported character into ME 3. Thoroughly enyoed all the challenges and gameplay. the game plays differently for each character played. however the end seems to remain the same. great game. really addictive. I shall play again as all the different types. justplayed ME 3 as a first timer and couldn't get past the second to end stage. Bought ME 2 and plated through that twice and each time imported character into ME 3. Thoroughly enyoed all the challenges and gameplay. the game plays differently for each character played. however the end seems to remain the same. great game. really addictive. I shall play again as all the different types. just wished the ending changed with the decisions made. Expand
  35. Jul 2, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 starts some time after the 2nd one ended. You are given the choice to go with the Role-play perspective of the game, with little combat throughout the game, or you can choose to go with the action perspective of the game with little Role-play and dialog, and more of the shooting and blowing stuff up. At the beginning it took me a moment to actually grasp what was happeningMass Effect 3 starts some time after the 2nd one ended. You are given the choice to go with the Role-play perspective of the game, with little combat throughout the game, or you can choose to go with the action perspective of the game with little Role-play and dialog, and more of the shooting and blowing stuff up. At the beginning it took me a moment to actually grasp what was happening but eventually it became pretty clear. Almost instantly you are given a gun and told to kill all the aliens in your path. Pretty soon after, you are given the choice to be nice and understanding of your friend or to be a complete jerk to him and tell to suck it up and fight. Then there's the whole decision making standpoint of the game, where you choose to do the right thing, or to do the wrong thing. Now for the problems, there's an equal amount of pros as there are cons in this game. The good parts of the game would definitely be its engaging storyline. However its bad counterpart is the 3 endings you are faced with. I wont get very deep into spoiler and whatnot, but the endings are all bad, and look like they were halfway done in order to make the Mass Effect 3 release date. The ending completely has nothing to do with everything you have done in the story whatsoever. However there is still hope. The game still had its relationship aspect where people could be your friends, your enemies, or your lover. Without the game you can alter the relationship at almost anytime, as you can talk to almost anybody, at any time. The game still has its aspect of freedom, to a certain point at least. Another problem with the game is the dialog system. When you are talking to somebody your facial, and body movements are not the most realistic. As with the person you are talking to. But I think most people would have to understand that the game would have come out sometime is early May or late April if the facial expressions were better than they are now. And it could have released sometime in June if they made the endings better. Overall this game is, in my opinion, worth the 60 dollars to pay for it, and also has some very nice sex scenes in it. Expand
  36. Jul 2, 2012
    Here's the problem - Mass Effect is a magnificent series; but I can't recommend ME3 as a 10/10 game, or even anywhere close. The problem with it for me isn't really the ending (yes, it's true, it was unbelievably bad), but rather the fact it should be renamed "Gears of Modern Battlefield 5". I honestly don't class ME3 as an RPG; rather, it's an on the rails mediocre shooter, interspersedHere's the problem - Mass Effect is a magnificent series; but I can't recommend ME3 as a 10/10 game, or even anywhere close. The problem with it for me isn't really the ending (yes, it's true, it was unbelievably bad), but rather the fact it should be renamed "Gears of Modern Battlefield 5". I honestly don't class ME3 as an RPG; rather, it's an on the rails mediocre shooter, interspersed with a lot of cut scenes and dialogue, which is again on the rails. Even if you are a big fan, go back and think about it - you are treated to a lot of dialogue, you make choices etc. but no matter what you choose you move forward to the very same portion of the game as everyone else - you shoot stuff and run through corridors. I didn't feel like I was "role playing" as Shephard, unless you consider Call of Duty an RPG as well!

Unlike ME 1 & 2, I felt very little for the plight of Shephard because throughout the game the overall writing is a bit sub-par compared to previous games. This is, in my opinion, symptomatic of the problems at Bioware at the moment; style over substance. It was like after two superb games I was being abandoned as a fan in favour of commercial appeal above and beyond anything else.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a "bad" game; you'd have to be completely out of your mind to say that ME3 is anything other than decent as a total package. But - and it's a big but - it's nowhere near the perfect game and in relation to the franchise it takes a giant turd on what has gone before.

So it's bizarre to sum it up in this way, but there's no other way to put it - if you're a Call of Duty fan, looking for a more "in depth" game without sacrificing the mindless shoot 'em up FPS experience, then Mass Effect 3 is for you. However, if you're a fan of Mass Effect 1 & 2, then this game may very well disappoint you. At the very least, if you play this game, switch it off as soon as you see a glowing holographic image of a child - you'll thank me for doing so.

So yes, I'd be wrong to score it any less than 7/10, but what I will say is that after the debacle that was Dragon Age 2 and now the less than stellar Mass Effect trilogy conclusion, I will be careful to spend money on a product bearing the Bioware logo, simply because the once accepted measure of excellence they held in a gamers heart has been lost. Let's hope a return to form is just around the corner.
  37. Jun 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just saying, the first part of this review will be me ranting about the end. I will no go into great detail, but seeing as how this is a review and reviews for games do entail the development for stories and the ending is, unfortunately, part of a story, I will have to talk about it. So you can skip that or take enjoyment in my displeasure for that god awful ending. Even with the extended ending, the ending for Mass Effect 3 is still crap. Albeit, the ending doesn't smell as bad as the first one, but crap is still crap. This game has not been redeemed. It does not matter how well they explain the ending; the way Mass Effect decided to take the Syfy Channel movie route and give the most asinine plot twist in gaming history has ruined the entire series for me. Even with their little PowerPoint Slideshow ending showing just how good life is regardless if you were a Paragon who went through pains to keep everyone alive or a Renegade who could care less who died as long as you got what you wanted. And the Synthesis ending is just too perfect of an ending. All the endings are devoid of any major consequences, there is little to no emotion for them, it does not show all of the effects of your decisions, focuses too much on the results of the three major endings, and has no epilogue for the characters in the third game. Just choosing any of those endings were a problem for me because they went against everything I and my Shepard stood for and stomped on all of the themes that the game developed over the course of three games. The only good ending was the Refusal ending and I still didn't like that one. I have no problem dying for what I believe in, but it's hard to enjoy an ending where everyone dies for your beliefs as well. I'm pretty sure plenty of people are going to say: "You can't have your cake and eat it too", and to that I say: It's my damn cake, I'll eat it if I want to! The endings do explain some things but does a mediocre job of it and adds even more plot holes to the unanswered ones from the original endings. And I am just not feeling the closure that many others are claiming to feel. If anything, I just felt like I wasted $180+ and only god knows how many hours for and ending that I could have read in a crappy fan-fiction. Actually, that's exactly what I did. And the worst part is, there are actually fan-fictions based of Mass Effect that have a better ending. That being said, Mass Effect 3 is still a good game. It just has an ending that deserves a spot in the albuquerque landfill. Okay that's the last thing I'm going to say on that ending. Probably. Any who, the game play was very fast paced and the enemy ambushes felt a lot more natural in this one then it did in the second game, which were as obvious as the outcome in a romance anime. The gun choice was extensive, but some didn't feel that different. And the gun and suit customization both were lacking. The suits were mainly the same ones from the last game so why couldn't I just drag those over? And I only used two of the gun customization the entire game. They should have kept the ones from the first game in this, come up with more or, I don't know, give each weapon their own custom add-on. The story-related levels and ME2 companion levels had more of an originality to them then the other games and actually gave each planet it's own feel. But the side missions were all stages from the co-op which is just plain lazy and diminished the value of the game's inherent originality. But back to the story related levels, I had the most fun playing those in compared to the other two games. I loved how the game became increasingly difficult as new enemies were added. Instead of just bombarding us with enemies to increase the difficulty, whenever a new enemy came onto the scene, I had trouble fighting them. And the levels they were introduced in did an amazing job of giving me time to cope with their unique fighting styles and capabilities. What really irked me was how the War Assets had no other function than raising the EMS and the fact that both Renegade and Paragon options were still open instead of being specific to the choices you have made throughout the game. One of the biggest problems with this game would have to be Javik and Vega. I have to seriously wonder why they were put into the game at all. I mean Vega really had little time to develop during the roller coaster ride the game had us experiencing and Javik was rather static. Aside from being the obvious black guy getting back at Imperial England by being a better imperialist, there was no point in him being in the game other than to tick me off. The best part of the game would have to be the sheer intensity I felt throughout the game.My favorite experience was the epic stare down with that Reaper on the Quarian/Geth home world. And each event after that just got more intense until the game pushed me off a cliff with that sorry excuse for an ending. Expand
  38. Jun 29, 2012
    The EC just expanded the current endings, while it did make them better or in honesty just made them the endings they should have been on release day it does not address the issues that many people have in that the endings are set in stone and really all your effort in previous games was for nothing. Also if Bioware was going to make a genuine effort to appease fans of the series surelyThe EC just expanded the current endings, while it did make them better or in honesty just made them the endings they should have been on release day it does not address the issues that many people have in that the endings are set in stone and really all your effort in previous games was for nothing. Also if Bioware was going to make a genuine effort to appease fans of the series surely they could have provided a few more endings with the possibility of happier conclusion, It is after all a fantasy/sci fi game and not based on reality.
    I gave 5 out of ten for ME3 purely due to what i felt was the shortness of the game and what i felt were poor endings.
  39. Jun 27, 2012
    As much as I really wanted to enjoy Mass Effect 3, there really is the feeling of this game getting rushed out of the door. In comparison to the first two, the story is paper thin, revolving around priority missions which somehow or another result in a main character being killed, much to my extreme disdain. The combat, I feel, isn't as well done or even fun as its predecessors, and by theAs much as I really wanted to enjoy Mass Effect 3, there really is the feeling of this game getting rushed out of the door. In comparison to the first two, the story is paper thin, revolving around priority missions which somehow or another result in a main character being killed, much to my extreme disdain. The combat, I feel, isn't as well done or even fun as its predecessors, and by the time the nonsensical ending came along, I was so ready to be done, that I didn't even care. Truly one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever experienced. Expand
  40. Jun 19, 2012
    Having played through several times now, I am adjusting my score down. Whilst there are some brilliant parts of the story the ending is a wimper which makes no sense due to poor programming and writing. I don't care if the 'Extended Cut' pieces some of it together - it is poor finishing and Bioware should be ashamed of their sloppiness.
  41. Jun 11, 2012
    There have many reviews about this game, and most of them are commenting about the poor ending of this game. But I think this game is definite a worth to buy game, the reason because of the multi-player. How the graphics were superb with a very dandy covering system, going through every corners, sprinting and cover from enemies firing. There just had many ways to play your own style ofThere have many reviews about this game, and most of them are commenting about the poor ending of this game. But I think this game is definite a worth to buy game, the reason because of the multi-player. How the graphics were superb with a very dandy covering system, going through every corners, sprinting and cover from enemies firing. There just had many ways to play your own style of game, with a lot of selection of characters and using different abilities. On the other hand, limited maps and difficulty were the main problem in multiplayer which lower the score. For professional gamers, I think gold challenge was a bit too easy due to the fact that there were too much ways to play this game, entertaining with communicating with four players. Moreover, multiplayer only have 5-6 maps weren't enough to last the gameplay long, which only for maximum 1 month or so. Increasing the varies or mods in multiplayer can improve the overall rating since that the single player's ending was weak. Overall, I think this game's selling was just for multiplayer, if gamers were just waiting for the single player, this game won't be your choice. Expand
  42. Jun 10, 2012
    This is a very fine third person shooter. great graphics, fine gameplay, but very poor use of kinect, no great multiplayer. Buy with major caution..
  43. Jun 9, 2012
    I wanted to like this game I swear. I loved the first two games and was prepared for more but I just couldnt love it like the others.
    The game plays very similary to Mass Effect 2 , though I have been spoilt by playing other amazing 3rd person shooters and this felt quite weightless and cover mechanic I didnt like. The enemies are quite generic and all follow similar patterns, meaning it felt repetitive.
    The game has been updated graphically to make it look fantastic , though with this high polygon count this means shepard always has to have his gun out like a sociopath. The story is awesome and I really enjoyed it, though "cameo-ing" all the characters from the previous game felt very cheesy , though was nice to see what happened to them.
    In the end the story was what pulled me through the boring action, if you've never played Mass Effect , play ME2 and then decide to continue. If you played the others, play through this just to finish your story.
  44. May 23, 2012
    Not the best of the Mass Effect series but it definitely doesn't deserve anything under a 5/10. Anything rated below are reviews based on bias opinion and nothing more. The gameplay has changed since the 1st two installments. AI and shooting mechanics have been largely improved but to the disappointment to most fans of the 1st game, the gameplay has evolved into more a shooter than RPGNot the best of the Mass Effect series but it definitely doesn't deserve anything under a 5/10. Anything rated below are reviews based on bias opinion and nothing more. The gameplay has changed since the 1st two installments. AI and shooting mechanics have been largely improved but to the disappointment to most fans of the 1st game, the gameplay has evolved into more a shooter than RPG style. Skill building has actually improved from ME2 as now there are a lot more ways to evolve your squads abilities. In my personal opinion I enjoyed the story and I don't need to debate why. It seems like it's always a question of why I don't hate it. Your choices from the previous games are reflected all throughout the game but some choices within ME3's story aren't reflected where they should be. Now, to criticize on the actual flaws of ME3 (*note: these are mostly opinion). My #1 issue w/ it is the absence of Jack Wall. Suicide Mission/ The End Run was the best composition within a video game and was at least half of the epic-ness of ME2's ending. I know he chose to leave BioWare for other projects but still: Why work w/ the 1st 2 games then bail. Also, Clint Mansell's "Leaving Earth" is a complete rip-off of John Murphy's compositions from the main theme of the movie "Sunshine". It's even in my opinion that the Observation Room aboard the Normandy was practically ripped straight from this movie. Second: Ashley's appearance. She went from a "girl you'd bring home to mama" to a "don't tell my boyfriend" kinda girl. It kinda reminds me of young pop-stars who debut as a sweet innocent teen then turn to a raunchy sleaze as soon as they hit 18. The only other thing wrong w/ this game is some slight continuity issues w/ "some" decisions made in previous games and so-called plot holes discovered from over-analysis but they aren't enough of an issue to lose faith in this game or the development team behind it. Expand
  45. May 21, 2012
    Rated a five because of the lacking single player. I'm fine with the addition of multiplayer and the ability to play as another species in the online mode it a nice touch, but it seems to take away from what Mass effect is all about. The single player. With half of the game basically based on multiplayer, the other half focused on single player isn't nearly as interesting to play as theRated a five because of the lacking single player. I'm fine with the addition of multiplayer and the ability to play as another species in the online mode it a nice touch, but it seems to take away from what Mass effect is all about. The single player. With half of the game basically based on multiplayer, the other half focused on single player isn't nearly as interesting to play as the previous two games. If you want a good co-op multiplayer game then go ahead and get it, but the single player isn't as good as Mass effect one and two so don't get too excited. Expand
  46. May 19, 2012
    Both good and bad. Plenty of settings to keep noobs and experts happy. The problem with this game though is that at points you can run round aimlessly and the pace is so slow it's really annoying, but then the game steps up everal gears and the pace becomes frenetic. The biggest gripe however are the endings, despite having 3 on offer, no matter which you chose, 90% of the ending isBoth good and bad. Plenty of settings to keep noobs and experts happy. The problem with this game though is that at points you can run round aimlessly and the pace is so slow it's really annoying, but then the game steps up everal gears and the pace becomes frenetic. The biggest gripe however are the endings, despite having 3 on offer, no matter which you chose, 90% of the ending is EXACTLY THE SAME. Expand
  47. May 16, 2012
    If you are looking for a game that gives you a real sense of accomplishment at the end, ME3 is not the game for you. That being said, the rest of the game is top-notch. I would have liked more characters as well, but complaining about wanting more out of your game says a lot about how well what is there really is. Multiplayer gameplay in particular is superb with a simple design thatIf you are looking for a game that gives you a real sense of accomplishment at the end, ME3 is not the game for you. That being said, the rest of the game is top-notch. I would have liked more characters as well, but complaining about wanting more out of your game says a lot about how well what is there really is. Multiplayer gameplay in particular is superb with a simple design that nonetheless manages to remain fresh and different every match. Add to that the sound quality which is phenomenal; monsters sound monstrous, robots and technology sounds are totally immursive, and the voicework is entirely organic with no sense of separate sound stages strung together.

Is the last 10 minutes bad enough to ruin the rest of the game? Maybe. I don't really have any argument against the opinions of all those who gave it a "0," but for me it remains a solid game I'll probably play again; I just try not to think about the emptiness I know will come when I am done.
  48. May 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all honesty, Mass Effect wasn't exactly the game it could have been. After creating to previous games, Bioware seemed to stop trying with the third. the only reason this isn't a five is that they brought Liara back. She was always a very engaging character with many dimensions, unlike Kaiden who only seemed to be a "canadian man-hunk" and Ash who was more the "Gun-babe". The non-cinematic cut-scenes left much to be desired, with frequent glitches such as my favorite-"the invisible eyelid"... you just can't engage in the emotion of a scene when you can see the entirety of someone's eyeball... In addition, none of the choices made in ME3 seem to make any difference, beyond how many "color-choices" you get at the end. It was gratifying to see how choices in previous games affected ME3, but the perceived *lack* of choice in the third game is infuriating, and the lack of follow-up from your choices beyond the color of a galaxy-wide explosion gains the ire of me and many more fans of the series. Highly disappointing, but I shouldn't have been surprised when I saw Dragon Age 2, but I thought that was a one-time thing... now I'm not so sure. Expand
  49. May 8, 2012
    I used to praise this game, but I never commented after I beat it I was that upset. I won't give this game a bad review because of all the things the only thing that really irks me is the ending controversy and some of the multiplayer.... other than that gameplay is mostly fine, but honestly the amount of plot holes is ridiculous and the negligence of the lore is sickening. I won'tI used to praise this game, but I never commented after I beat it I was that upset. I won't give this game a bad review because of all the things the only thing that really irks me is the ending controversy and some of the multiplayer.... other than that gameplay is mostly fine, but honestly the amount of plot holes is ridiculous and the negligence of the lore is sickening. I won't mention these things as most people already know about these issues and I don't want to spoil. I have every DLC for every Mass Effect and the conclusions literally just tossed it all out of the window...as for multiplayer, it isn't bad, but it isn't good either. Lack of different modes coupled with a small selection of maps with few enemy variations is just too repetitive. Bioware also hasn't helped by openly criticizing the fans for caring and one said that the fans "aren't producers!" This is true, but following the atrocious ending (in my opinion) Bioware should've looked more closely at it, from a fan's point of view. How can you miss your own lore!? The free multiplayer release didn't really help and the extended ending won't fix what most of the fans have problems with, nor will these free DLCs lighten my mood for paying 10$ for a half hour mission. I am sorry, but that is where I stand... Expand
  50. May 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is still a great game, however, it falls short in the end. There are some great additions, and just a little too many subtractions. I love the way the guns sound and 'hit' in this game, that was a great little mod. They got rid of 'heavy' weapons except in certain plot points, also nice. You can actually carry all weapons, and not just a select few according to your class,Mass Effect 3 is still a great game, however, it falls short in the end. There are some great additions, and just a little too many subtractions. I love the way the guns sound and 'hit' in this game, that was a great little mod. They got rid of 'heavy' weapons except in certain plot points, also nice. You can actually carry all weapons, and not just a select few according to your class, nice. Biotic powers are great as well, love the new sounds and moves. Sprinting is essentially unlimited, which is more realistic, especially for a cybernetically altered soldier like Shepard. They slimmed down the 'scanning for resources' minigame, definitely better. Did away with the silly hacking minigames and just showing the omni-tool animation, this is cool too. So all said and done the gameplay is improved on almost all levels. Love that they brought Ashley/Kaiden back. Sucked not to have a romance option in Mass Effect 2. However their interactions with Shepard could of been a little more. More is always better when it comes to character development, especially when it comes to romances in a world where you're all set to be the savior of the galaxy. Shepard needs something 'real' to fight for. They do have Shepard say this, just wanted more interaction is all.

Now for the bad. It feels like a lot of the dialog choices were taken away. Way too many instances where there is only 'good' and 'evil' selections. That 'neutral' option is needed sometimes because it just fits better. Rarely any 'paragon' or 'renegade' choices (the blue and red text ones) to use in the dialog as well. The graphics still suck in a lot of places though. Don't know why they couldn't of fixed this somehow. The textures are blurry and lackluster for almost all 'clothing' in the game. The armors are mostly great, but anybody who isn't wearing any has a skewed look to them.

Day 1 DLC, honestly I could care less. I bought the collector's edition so it came with the game. I paid more money yes, but so what ? I like this game and didn't mind shelling out for it. The story is still great, though like many others I'm not in love with the ending either. I won't sit here and say they should come out with DLC to 'fix' it. It's not so terrible that it ruins the entire game. However I will say that the game would of received a rating of 9 from me had it ended somewhere closer to what I would of liked to see happen. Sorry.

All in all, still a great game, but arguably so.
  51. May 7, 2012
    The cinematic experience of this game is one of the best and most absorbing in any game I have played. The technical accomplishment of this game is limited compared to the sequels and the production was clearly a sequel rather than a progression. The ending was powerful though I can understand how many conisder it a cop-out. This excellent series deserved more because of the high standardThe cinematic experience of this game is one of the best and most absorbing in any game I have played. The technical accomplishment of this game is limited compared to the sequels and the production was clearly a sequel rather than a progression. The ending was powerful though I can understand how many conisder it a cop-out. This excellent series deserved more because of the high standard it set itself. Expand
  52. Apr 29, 2012
    The gameplay itself is a vast improvement on its predecessors, keeping the actiony flow of Mass Effect 2 while both bringing back the more in-depth RPG elements of the first Mass Effect and relaxing some of the series' questionable class-based weapon restrictions. It is long, and for the most part, it is enjoyable, with a surprisingly well-implemented multiplayer facet that is vaguelyThe gameplay itself is a vast improvement on its predecessors, keeping the actiony flow of Mass Effect 2 while both bringing back the more in-depth RPG elements of the first Mass Effect and relaxing some of the series' questionable class-based weapon restrictions. It is long, and for the most part, it is enjoyable, with a surprisingly well-implemented multiplayer facet that is vaguely reminiscent of Payday: The Heist. These technical improvements do not stop it from being the weakest and least inspiring installation of the series, however, decorating its plot with a slew of empty "consequences" of actions past and its exploration with an absence of content-- Mako exploration was ill-received, and planet-scanning was ill-received, but instead of attempting a compromise or a new system, exploration was mostly rendered inconsequential. The Citadel remains the only re-visitable area of interest, while galactic exploration is turned into a mild annoyance and the rest of the explorable galaxy is turned into setpieces. There is one critical mistake made in this game, and that is that the integrity of the gameplay was sacrificed for the integrity of the setting and plot. The steps taken to make the Reapers feel like an actual threat simply serve to make various segments of the game annoying at best and frustrating at worst. Players invested in the first two games have a pretty substantial likelihood of being frustrated and upset by Bioware's insistence on compromising the more rewarding aspects of decision-making and exploration in exchange for a more "believable" setting, improved combat being the only net positive of this trilogy-ender. Expand
  53. Apr 28, 2012
    I expect more from this game ... being the final game in the series and all.. It was good until half way in and it seems like they recycle the same setup over and overall again, throwing in a banshee here and there. I didn't expect the game to take in all the decision and choices from the last 2 game, but to randomly throw email and phone-calls from past members is lazy. At least giveI expect more from this game ... being the final game in the series and all.. It was good until half way in and it seems like they recycle the same setup over and overall again, throwing in a banshee here and there. I didn't expect the game to take in all the decision and choices from the last 2 game, but to randomly throw email and phone-calls from past members is lazy. At least give me a scene where all my buddies and I run into the battlefield together. Being in a galactic war, the battle certainly didn't feel like it. still the same skirmish battles and is anything but epic. And there is no need for me to talk about the ending :( Expand
  54. Apr 26, 2012
    LOVE the game! HATE the ending!

There has to be more to it than what we're being told. The whole thing is so completely out of place in the context of the previous games that it has to be some sort of clever ploy by Bioware so they can spring some DLC with the real ending. If this is the actual ending then it's an absolute disgrace and a complete slap in the face for fans. If & when they
    LOVE the game! HATE the ending!

If this is the actual ending then it's an absolute disgrace and a complete slap in the face for fans. If & when they fix the ending I'll adjust my score.
  55. Apr 22, 2012
    Coming into ME3 I was very much expecting a car crash, an unplayable, uninteresting mess not even worth my time. I guess that shows you really can't trust either end of the spectrum these days, Critics were praising it as the second coming of the Christ where as the vast majority of fans were claiming it was the worst game since Superman64. In reality ME3 is neither of these. Where as ME1Coming into ME3 I was very much expecting a car crash, an unplayable, uninteresting mess not even worth my time. I guess that shows you really can't trust either end of the spectrum these days, Critics were praising it as the second coming of the Christ where as the vast majority of fans were claiming it was the worst game since Superman64. In reality ME3 is neither of these. Where as ME1 was an RPG that felt like a bad TPS and ME2 was just plain bad ME3 strikes the perfect balance between being an RPG and TPS, significantly more weapons and armour than ME2 also offer some nice replay value for completionists looking to collect everything. Unfortunately the story seems to have gotten worse in pretty much every way conceivable, sure there are some great scenes that tap into the ME1 and to a lesser extent ME2 nostalgia but they're just that, scenes. ME3 has the least amount of interactive conversations of the entire series, which just plain sucks. Most scenes play out similar to the Normandy conversations with Zaeed in ME2, the frequency of these is kind of annoying when you look back at ME1 which had an abundance of in-depth conversations with most of the throw-away characters, this in conjunction with it's terrible, terrible ending mean it's hard to recommend ME3 to fans of the series and really there are a great deal more, and better story driven TPS out there if you're coming to ME3 for a shooter. Then there's the multiplayer, let me sum up the multiplayer with a single clause. The multiplayer clearly detracted from the quality of the single-player and ME3 would have been a better game had it not existed. Overall It's hard to recommend ME3 to anyone, it relies too heavily on series nostalgia to be enjoyable for people looking to get into the series this late and isn't a particularly great shooter either. ME3 is one of the most severe cases of wasted potential I've seen in a while. Mediocre at best - 6/10 Expand
  56. Apr 21, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 5 out of 10. For context, my review for both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect is 9.5 out of 10. Storyline aside, my rationale for giving the low score is due to the fact that they have changed an important game mechanic... the ability to holster your weapon during breaks in combat. This is something that was available in ME1 and ME2, and the lack of it in ME3 seriouslyI'm giving this game a 5 out of 10. For context, my review for both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect is 9.5 out of 10. Storyline aside, my rationale for giving the low score is due to the fact that they have changed an important game mechanic... the ability to holster your weapon during breaks in combat. This is something that was available in ME1 and ME2, and the lack of it in ME3 seriously breaks the flow and makes the game less enjoyable. In the previous installments you would have a battle, then holster you gun and explore, then if more baddies cropped up, you would draw your gun again. This is much more realistic than ALWAYS having your gun drawn. Fighting bad guys? Gun drawn. No bad guys around? Gun drawn. Exploring crates? Gun drawn. Talking to teammates? Gun drawn. No one else on your team has their gun drawn? Gun drawn. It is a HUGE flaw in an otherwise good game, and I am shocked that Bioware removed it. Whoever decided that removing the ability to holster was a good idea should be fired. Expand
  57. Apr 18, 2012
    I will give this game a 7 why?, well it truly starts good, but the last part feels rushed and the ending feels like a book from stephen king... **** ending. Your past decisions does not have much of impact neither your current ones for the ending. then there is multiplayer, its cool and fun but I keep getting booted of EA servers along with tons of other players, besides there is thisI will give this game a 7 why?, well it truly starts good, but the last part feels rushed and the ending feels like a book from stephen king... **** ending. Your past decisions does not have much of impact neither your current ones for the ending. then there is multiplayer, its cool and fun but I keep getting booted of EA servers along with tons of other players, besides there is this glitch where my game freezes at a never ending loading screen at the main menu and I have to do a ritual of disconnecting xbox from internet and such and reconnecting it to be able to play. Game is good but has lots of flaws. Expand
  58. Apr 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. **Please be aware my review does contain minor spoilers**

I've been a big fan of Mass Effect ever since the game first launched on the xbox back in 2007. Its fair to say i haven't been a fan of some of the changes through the trilogies history so it was with trepidation that i awaited the release of the conclusion.
    Since Mass Effect 3 was launched i have meticulously played through it twice to try and see what the consequences of my different decisions for my male and female character would have on the conclusion. I start with this point because for me it is the biggest failure of the game and the games as a whole. I think i would have much rather the developers not given us these big choices between games because unfortunately all they were doing was setting themselves up for a fall. If your going to do something as involving and dynamic as offering choice it needs to be done well. The problem you have is simply its lack of consequence because regardless of what choices you've made the alternative would only be a slight tweak. A good example is If you saved the Rachni Queen from the original game then she turns up in ME3 and you have the choice to save her again which is all well and good. However if you choose to kill her then she turns up again in ME3?? ok so technically she isn't the same apparently she's a creation of the reapers but the point is the character model, the dialogue and the choices are almost 100% identical. Just using the same skin and calling it something else is just lazy. What made it even worse was on the shuttle after the mission my renegade femshep who killed the Rachni in the original game had a discussion with Garrus who said i had saved her in the first game when i didn't! Talk about breaking my immersion. The Rachni incident isn't the main culprit of this because the alternative skin method is used throughout the game. Sure extra dialogue options and slighlty different skins textures are used to disguise this but for the most part once you've done one play through the outcome of your consequences for the plots elements will be the same. There are some differences and if you don't have tali on your team in ME3 you'll know what i mean when it comes to the Quarian homeworld missions but for the most part there is little difference. In fairness to the game this happened in ME2 as well although not nearly to the same extent.
    Another issue i have which i briefly touched on is the sheer number of bugs in the game. The worst one being that anyone on xbox can't import their original character from the first game. Yes it has now been patched but its still very rough around the edges. Other bugs to name a few include, getting stuck in the environment, the wrong voice acting used for certain characters at points in the game, talking to characters who aren't there (jacob mission), character head turning 180degrees during a conversation, eyeballs from hell and the game freezing on many occasions to name but a few.
    Obviously one of the biggest flaws of the game is its ending. I won't say much because everyone keeps going on about it, but it is very poor and i think just lazily written. Forget artistic integrity because you lose that when you put out an ending out as bad as the one on ME3. Yet despite all these issues (and there are plenty more i haven't listed) the game in its self plays very well. The shooter mechanics are an improvement over the last game. The graphics are slightly better. The character development is very good for the most part (there are a few notable exceptions) and missions themselves are exciting and interesting. The level design is the best its been since the first game and towards the end the difficulty really does ramp up (which is good) and the music is excellent (especially the Clint Mansell tracks).
    Therefore ultimately it is a fun game thats worth playing, perhaps more so if you haven't played either of the preceeding two. If you have there is still alot of good in the game but you will be disappointed. Not least because of the promise the game had, it could have been amazing instead it was just lazy, very lazy which is a real shame.
  59. Apr 17, 2012
    This review may be a bit biased in light of a few facts: I love the previous installments in the series so much that I had really high expectations for this game, the conversation mechanic didn't feel as important in this installment as in previous games in the series since halfway through the game you don't really choose dialogue anymore, and the ending of this game turned me way offThis review may be a bit biased in light of a few facts: I love the previous installments in the series so much that I had really high expectations for this game, the conversation mechanic didn't feel as important in this installment as in previous games in the series since halfway through the game you don't really choose dialogue anymore, and the ending of this game turned me way off because there were too many unanswered questions. Basically all three endings were based on the last decision you make, so if you logged serious hours in the series, be ready for disappointment. There is one exception in which your Galaxy at War progress and your single player preparation come into play, but even in that case, there are an unsatisfactory amount of answers compared to my expectations for the conclusion. I do enjoy the multiplayer, but it is difficult to find matches at times which is a fatal flaw for any online cooperative play. Overall, if I didn't already own this title, I would only rent it long enough to beat the game, and I would probably wait until all the DLC packs are out so I could make the most efficient use of my time. Expand
  60. Apr 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great game for the most part throughout. I do have some minor gripes about enemies, gameplay and lack of creativity with characters returning from ME1/ME2 with them still wearing the same attire from last game. The game made it fill like it was building to a massively great ending conclusion. Building war assets is a mindless task for the most part, but it felt like it was going to payoff in the end.

Ultimately though it is the end that fails miserably for one of my favorite franchises of all time. I felt like I had to write this because of how much love I have felt for the franchise and the characters that didn't getting treated properly in the conclusion. There are many reviews about it so I won't go into great detail but I had to put my 2 cents in. Great game, great franchise, one of the worst endings in the history of endings.
  61. Apr 14, 2012
    Overall I give the 6 and here is why:

Story: Excellent! Well up until the last 10min. Pretty much when you play this game and you meet the glowing child. Just restart your Xbox and you won't have the fanchise ruined. Gameplay: Good. Single Player: The power combinations come in handy for some of the more difficult enemies. Still don't care about the limited ammo becuase it goes
    Overall I give the 6 and here is why:

Gameplay: Good. Single Player: The power combinations come in handy for some of the more difficult enemies. Still don't care about the limited ammo becuase it goes against the first game, exploration was significantly reduced. Miss some of the puzzle games that were introduced to in the last game (ME2). Also you seem to need to switch between disc a lot more than in Mass Effect 2

Multiplayer: Fun. No PvP, all PvE. Focus's on teamwork. Biggest complaint is the "Store". All new characters and weapons are random with different pack just increasing your odds. Unfortunately you don't know what items, weapons or characters are Common, Uncommon, Rare, or Ultra Rare.

Bugs: A few but Significant

Most notable the face import issue for characters created in Mass Effect 1 and 2. None of my characters faces I generated imported into Mass Effect 3. Even post patch, just released 4/11, imported in properly. Many gamer have experienced items being re-lock in multiplayer and game freezes.

This game is a must play but not necessarily a must buy for the casual gamer.
  62. Apr 12, 2012
    "The people who are crying about the ending are overreacting," was my initial impression while I was still working my way through this game while having to read a forum post, website update, or blog about fan outcry about the end of the game. As I was still playing through the mid-point of the game, I thought it was fantastic. The visuals and sound are great, the combat is fantastic, and"The people who are crying about the ending are overreacting," was my initial impression while I was still working my way through this game while having to read a forum post, website update, or blog about fan outcry about the end of the game. As I was still playing through the mid-point of the game, I thought it was fantastic. The visuals and sound are great, the combat is fantastic, and everything you love about the series is better than ever. You'll encounter some epic moments, and see all of your decisions come to fruition. My only issue, up to that point, was some outcomes were nearly impossible to change, and were based on some of the most mundane decisions made earlier in this game or in the two prior games. I thoroughly enjoyed the game... until the final moments. Unfortunately, I learned that the fans weren't overrating. The ending is, simply put, bad. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was one of the worst endings I've ever seen in my 2 decades of gaming (yes, including those old "Congratulations! You beat the game!" endings). For all the talk of decisions and choices, the final moments of the game were simply hollow and the ending was anything but an ending, full of plot holes and unanswered questions. For a series that spanned 3 excellent games (minus the end of this game), I was baffled as to how BioWare felt that the final parts of the game were at all satisfactory. I know I'm just preaching to the choir here, but it's all true. Mass Effect 3 was simply fantastic, until the final moments. Expand
  63. Apr 12, 2012
    Mass Effect has been an extremely amazing series, and Bioware hyped this game as the extremely exciting climax to the series. I think they deliver to a certain degree. I want to praise the actual combat in this game and even though people are whining about the lack of RPG elements I do think it's still a very fun system. It also does a really good task at dealing with a lot of theMass Effect has been an extremely amazing series, and Bioware hyped this game as the extremely exciting climax to the series. I think they deliver to a certain degree. I want to praise the actual combat in this game and even though people are whining about the lack of RPG elements I do think it's still a very fun system. It also does a really good task at dealing with a lot of the perpetual issues presented in both 1 and 2 (Krogan genophage, Geth quarian relationship, etc.). I would want to get the game after reading what I said its just, so half finished. No clue how Bioware put so little work into this game and still took so long. There are some GREAT story missions, very exciting. It's just everything else is so rushed. This game fails to appease the newcomers of the series and even the veterans who love this series with a burning passion. Interested in this game? Play Mass Effect 1 & 2 they are great games. I would recommend this game but be aware of what EA did to destroy one of my favorite franchises. Expand
  64. Apr 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It pains me to give this game such a low rating. Most of the game deserves a higher score, but the ending is simply unforgivable. In the several minutes it took for the ending to conclude all my desire to play this game and the previous two games was wiped away. I thought it would only last a few days, but sadly it seems my wonderful journey with this franchises is finished. I feel cheated that it ended so sourly for me and that I was not even given the option to save the universe that I had fallen in love with. The player choice that was promised was ultimately not fulfilled. Expand
  65. Apr 8, 2012
    Big, big fan of Mass Effect 1 & 2, but 3 is a huge let down; feels more of a shooter than an RPG (resembles Gears of War in space) and the ending... gaw...
  66. Apr 6, 2012
    Despite the general critical acclaim, I thought this was a terribly disappointing game. I loved the first two Mass Effect games - the second one is an absolute masterpiece - and it's baffling how Bioware - who got everything so right in Mass Effect 2 - could get so many things wrong in this final part of the series. The focus is on combat - and other aspects of the game have suffered.Despite the general critical acclaim, I thought this was a terribly disappointing game. I loved the first two Mass Effect games - the second one is an absolute masterpiece - and it's baffling how Bioware - who got everything so right in Mass Effect 2 - could get so many things wrong in this final part of the series. The focus is on combat - and other aspects of the game have suffered. Gone is the feeling of freedom and expansiveness of having a whole galaxy to explore - aside from main quest missions, there are no planets on which you can land, no hidden adventures to discover. And too many of the main quest missions felt unremarkable to me, indistinguishable from each other, and at times it was hard to care about what was going on. The way that side missions have been implemented in the game feels very unsatisfactory and doesn't feel fully realised at all. Don't even get me started on the way the journal works - or doesn't work; it's virtually impossible to stay on top of what you need to do, or where you need to go to do it. Item management is also a nightmare: you need to buy weapons in the game, but you're buying them in the dark, because the game offers nothing as useful as being able to compare what's on sale with the weapons your squad already has. Item management, quest management, the way that side missions work, all felt poorly realised to me. There are no new characters - oh no, sorry, there's one: a hulking space marine whose name I've forgotten he's so unremarkable. He's like a cast-off from Gears of War, dull as dishwater, as out of place in a Mass Effect game as Jack Bauer would be in an episode of The Wire. It's not all bad - the game does throw up some memorable moments, and it looks stunning - the graphics and lighting effects are excellent. But there are not enough memorable moments, and too much of the game feels like a betrayal of all that has gone before it. Mass Effect 3 feels like a game trying to be all things to all people, and ending up as a bit of a dog's breakfast. If I'm being honest, this game broke my heart. And I haven't even mentioned the ending... Expand
  67. Apr 5, 2012
    Great game, Wicked action sequences, good story.. But it where this ME really failed was the in the decision making part of the game. It was incredible weak and None of the choices you made really mattered. I wouldnt play it again.
  68. Apr 3, 2012
    The battle begins but it didn't end the way anyone wanted (which can be seen from the user score). I have never seen such outrage from a game before, the gaming community went crazy over this title and the fate of those in the series. The first levels seemed beta'ish and unfinished. The rest of the game was great... But, why in the hell would you get rid of the Elevator scenes thatThe battle begins but it didn't end the way anyone wanted (which can be seen from the user score). I have never seen such outrage from a game before, the gaming community went crazy over this title and the fate of those in the series. The first levels seemed beta'ish and unfinished. The rest of the game was great... But, why in the hell would you get rid of the Elevator scenes that replaced load screens??? Why??? And the vehicle aspect... gone? Why? A great game that did not stand up to everyone's expectations. Did it make the game of the month on the podcast... Take a listen... http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  69. Apr 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much of a game, so much to say, but I think I'll start before it even released. The Cerberus Daily News feed was supposed to have new articles immediately prior to the release of the game. Instead, it got a couple tweets of news, for fewer days than was originally promised. This would have been massively disappointing, were it not for the Emily Wong tweets. For those who weren't following, twitter became a live news source for the initial invasion taking place in Southern California. The story IT told was really cool and helped set the tone for the game itself. As for the game, the single-player portion may not have explored as many of the characters as I'd have hoped, but it DOES give the humor and OH *#^@ moments that I've enjoyed since the beginning in 2007. Finally however, there are plot inconsistencies that creep in to break some of the fiction. Things like Shepard restraining a Justicar and not being killed for it, or the Batarians learning FTL travel...from ruins on a planet in a different star system that required them to know FTL travel to get to in the first place. These are relatively minor but still, that sucks. They are the small blemishes that slightly mar the campaign as you attempt to save the galaxy. Then comes the part where you save the galaxy. At the end of ME1 and ME2, I had a sense of excitement for what the future held in the ME Universe, and how I could save it. There are NO endings that allow you to do that. With the destruction of the mass relays, (which for some reason doesn't necessarily destroy the systems they reside in) there is NO hope that the galactic community can continue to exist as it had because they are isolated in their own systems. I have no problem with Shepard being killed in the process, soldiers give their lives for lesser causes, but no matter what I do, the Citadel and the relays are destroyed, fundamentally altering how societies can interact. Garrus can't return to Omega to clean house after the war and Tali can't go back to her home world cuz they're both stuck on Earth. Or at least they should have been since they were in my squad and NOT on the Normandy which, oh yeah I forgot, had retreated to either FTL or a relay jump for some reason and ALL of my squad was there and not with me somehow. The last 20 minutes of the game, however you decide to end it, are disappointing. No matter what you do, you can't save the Citadel, you can't preserve the galactic community, and you're crew ends up in the exact same forest (though to Joker's credit, he was able to crash the SR2 delicately enough so as to NOT disturb any of the trees). Other decisions that don't matter but probably should have... ME1: Save the council or let them die. Anderson or Udina Save the Rachni or don't ME2: Blow up the Collector base or give it to Cerberus 3 of those decisions come in the final 10 min of each game, they are all among the most influential decisions Shepard ever makes...but the councilors all speak to you in the same manner. Udina will always be the human councilor, Anderson will always be an Admiral, the rachni will either be the ones you saved or some others will fill in the blank, and Cerberus will gain technology for the base or from salvage. DISAPPOINTING! Multiplayer was ok, tho I never got excited for the combat or gameplay of Mass Effect. In the campaign, I happily set it to story mode and blaze thru enemies so that I can get to the conversations quicker. But about the conversations and multiplayer...I felt as though there were fewer lines of dialogue in ME3 compared to ME2. I understand there is only so much room on 2 discs for content, but how much more fulfilling could the campaign have been if the multiplayer portion wasn't included? Could there have been more dialogue from characters left off the Normandy? Could my choices have made more of an impact? Could Tali have had an actual face instead of a stock internet photo? I may be wrong about the amount of dialogue created, but I'm not mistaken in my disappointment with many of the features I had hoped for. Overall a 7. I almost cried in my 1st playthrough when I thought I could save the Geth and the Quarians and ended up driving my good friend to her death. I've had to collect my jaw from the floor many times, and the humor of Joker, EDI, Wiks, and Mordin are amazing. But despite putting over 120 hours into a single character, no matter what I did or chose was enough to save the galaxy. Expand
  70. Apr 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have Been thinking about the ending quite a bit, and I propose a new theory: Sheppard, Anderson and The Illusive Man did not make it to the control panel by accident, they were invited by The Reapers! (Close Encounters of the Crazy Kind!). So hear me out: If the Indoctrination Theory is wrong, then an alternative "Organic Theory" is in order and it goes like this: The Reapers cannot simply destroy all space faring life because they MUST receive INPUT from an ORGANIC to do so as they are the CREATOR of the Reapers! To this end they have sought out the most charismatic/Paragon (Sheppard), Militaristic (Anderson), and Maniacal/Renegade (Illusive Man) and have guided all of their paths to the control panel to determine which of them will DETERMINE the final fate of all cycles! Why all cycles? Because the catalyst VI mentions that Sheppard is the first organic to arrive to his location ever (please keep reading for more on this). If you look at the final sequence it is obvious all three men are under some level of control from the Reapers, and yet they are not a Thrall. They can still make decisions, and do so in the ending sequence according to their own will (agenda) be it to control, destroy, or combine (evolve), but only one can met the Reaper/Catalyst VI. The Reapers are standing by to see which of these men will dominate the others (classical Darwinian theory) and he who wins the battle, wins the right to choose! I think most players would choose as I did given my choices throughout the three games: To evolve the species at the end of this cycle. I recall Javik mentioning that in his time there were Protheans who believed they could control, destroy or work alongside the Reapers. Are these not the same choices being presented to the chosen three? They who have been determined, skillful, and strong willed enough to make it to this crucial point! As an aside, Wiki the number three and check out all of the interesting possibilities as to why Bioware chose this special number! I believe the first cycle's organics created the Reapers to prevent greater disaster as organics were either threatened by machines (or maybe something else), just as the Protheans worked to build the Crucible in their time to do in the Reapers which now threatened them (a cycle within a cycle?). So what does it mean? It means the Reapers are loyal to the creator (organics) and are simply following protocol in the logical manner that machines do. They are not being "mean" in destroying the space faring races, they are simply "doing" what they were built for. Again, without organic PERMISSION the Reapers have never been able to fully complete their original programming which is why all three men arrive to the control panel in the order that they do (because it is ALLOWED). So what is the threat that the reapers and citadel were created for? Simple: The Mass Relays are the threat! Something, Synthetics, Cthulhu maybe?, has come through the relays many cycles before, and the Reapers were the weapon that destroyed them and remained afterwards to guard against this threat and/or to destroy the relays. Whatever came through the relays will come again and the Reapers use the Space Faring Races as "fuel" to keep them going until the threat or relays can be destroyed for good by an organic giving them permission to do so via the catalyst! Sheppard being there with the catalyst VI allows him/them (Reapers) "more hope than he(they) knows" which is to say that for the first time in all cycles the Reapers can do what they were programed to do as an organic is there to decide for them the fate of the remaining organics in this cycle. Sheppard allows for the destruction of the relays, the elimination of the threat for which the Reapers were built, the completion of the Reapers programming (so they are no longer needed), and the survival of the races (even if now separated) is ensured!! As an aside, We are also assuming that time is linear after entering the portal, however, if this is not the case then it seems logical that the Normandy would attempt to regroup (as mentioned by the remaining commanders after Hammer's fall) to fight another day which explains that sequence after the choice is made. As with other lore, books, movies, the final choice to destroy, evolve, or control is up to the player and does involve real choice! That and the fact that half of us cant decide if we want chocolate or vanilla, window or isle, or blue tie vs. black tie, this seems to be more choice than we can normally handle! I'm curious to know what others think of this alternative proposal to explaining the current ending :). Upgrading my score to nine as this would be a cool way to end the series and quite explainable and consistent with what Bioware has been saying about the final act! Cheers, --ASF-- Expand
  71. Mar 31, 2012
    While I agree with some on here that the ending wasn't nearly what it should have been for the ending of the series, I definitely feel that flooding MC with negative reviews is a bit overblown. I simply loved the game, and the rest of the game DEFINITELY makes up for the last ten minutes.
  72. Mar 30, 2012
    90% of this game is a masterpiece. The other 10% is so bad that it ruins the game. The biggest problem is the nonsensical, plot hole ridden, open to speculation "endings" which is really one cutscene which uses 95% of the same assets and different colored explosions. In addition Bioware used various shortcuts which really hurt the game in the end. The side quest missions weren't really90% of this game is a masterpiece. The other 10% is so bad that it ruins the game. The biggest problem is the nonsensical, plot hole ridden, open to speculation "endings" which is really one cutscene which uses 95% of the same assets and different colored explosions. In addition Bioware used various shortcuts which really hurt the game in the end. The side quest missions weren't really missions at all, more like a find a needle in a haystack type of game. There is no quest tracking, and tali's face was google photoshopped in. The cutting of corners wouldn't have diminished the rating so much as the fact that the ending negates the point of the entire series "player choice." The day one Dlc was also controversial and a money-grab. I would recommend renting the game if your a fan, and not buying it. Expand
  73. Mar 29, 2012
    I have severally mixed feelings about this game. ME1 was one of the best games I have ever played to date with all of the different options that a character has. Granted the cover and combat system was not too good, but the story was incredible and gripping. Once I finished the game I would always start another character to play with. ME1 was not perfect by any means, but it was still anI have severally mixed feelings about this game. ME1 was one of the best games I have ever played to date with all of the different options that a character has. Granted the cover and combat system was not too good, but the story was incredible and gripping. Once I finished the game I would always start another character to play with. ME1 was not perfect by any means, but it was still an incredible game. I have gone back an played ME1 again since ME3 came out and I still enjoyed it more. I liked the writing a lot more and how the story pulled you in. ME2 did away with a lot of things but still allowed for a lot of conversation/story telling/ and choices that a character could make. The combat was improved, weapons and armor were stripped out. But the game was still good. The story line was still grabbing but not nearly as much as ME1. It was highly character driven through your squad. The enemy and allied AI was greatly improved over ME1. I did not like the auto dialogue that took place with Zaeed or Kasumi. I felt it was a cope-out by the developers. ME3 did one thing right that the other games did not have nearly as well and that was combat. I felt that the combat in the game was just about flawless. I could not have asked for more in the combat department. The inventory was a great improvement. The game really lets a person customize how they want Shepard and their squad to play. I felt that allied AI was much worse in ME3 then ME2 and was on level of ME1. Most of the time I found my squad doing nothing except ducking for cover or standing out in the open in the middle of a fire fight. Enemy AI was improved but for some reason on the hardcore difficulty which is what I always play on, I felt the game was way too easy. I died twice on my first play through. In the other 2 games I died much more then that on hardcore. I felt the game was way to easy and it could have been more difficult. I still enjoyed playing the game but not nearly as much as I did the other two. The conversation choices were just not there. The majority of them only gave you two options and barely anything to ask. Your decisions from the first two games were almost non-existent. The majority of your squad from the second game was reduced to cameo roles which is just wrong. They all should have gotten a mission were you went into combat with them again. They should have all been there at the final mission as a major task force. While the writing was greatly improved upon from the other two games in terms of delivery of lines, there was not enough selectable conversation between squad members. The majority of your conversations came from EDI, Vega, Javik (if you had bought a collectors edition or the DLC). Honestly they should have brought back the elevator scenes for the squad banter. I never disliked them. I actually enjoyed them. It was something different and new and there was barely ever any loading screens. You had something to listen too while the game loaded. There was way too much auto-dialogue and I felt that it pulled away from the game. The character import for the third game is horribly broken and i hope they fix it soon. Only one of my characters imported over correctly. Thankfully Bioware has stated they are working on a fix and it is on the testing phase. The game has a lot of glitches and I feel that it was actually rushed. I wish they could have spent more time on it. For those that have completed the game they know that there is only one true ending with a true resolution which is kind of wrong. I will not get into it but lets just say that Shepard has spent too much time around the Reapers and Reaper artifacts. I did like the way the game ended, I am not always a fan of happy endings and I knew this trilogy was not going to have one. War never has a happy outcome. Mass Effect 1 was easily a 10/10 for me even with the broken combat/inventory system. Mass Effect 2 was a 9/10. The removal of inventory and the addition of ammo made the game not nearly as good. I give ME3 a 7/10 because of all of the negative features which I have listed for the game. While the game was fun to play, I never played Mass Effect for the combat. If I wanted to play a game for combat I would play some battlefield or gears of war. There was simply just too much wrong with it for me. It took too much away from the experience and immersion factor of the trilogy. I now know why so many people have left Bioware since the game went gold. They knew the game was not up too par and had a lot of flaws. They do not want to be associated with a substandard product again. I would not pay full retail of $59.99 for this game. It is honestly not worth it. I would wait for the $39.99 price drop. I thought Skyrim was a better game then this and that game has a lot of problems and it is not even a style of game that I like too much. Bioware you were once my favorite developer but EA has destroyed your company. Expand
  74. Mar 28, 2012
    This game is simultaneously overrated and underrated. Overrated because critics and fanboys blindly gave the game a pass without addressing its glaring, near deal-breaking faults such as a curious lack of choice, wonky dialogue, a cumbersome cover system, vague journal entries, Jessica Chobot, James Vega, an inexcusable glitch not allowing me to import my Shepard from ME1 and 2 (really,This game is simultaneously overrated and underrated. Overrated because critics and fanboys blindly gave the game a pass without addressing its glaring, near deal-breaking faults such as a curious lack of choice, wonky dialogue, a cumbersome cover system, vague journal entries, Jessica Chobot, James Vega, an inexcusable glitch not allowing me to import my Shepard from ME1 and 2 (really, Bioware?) and the now infamous ending. However, I would argue that ME3 is also slightly underrated because, well, the game STILL has solid combat, fun weapons (I love the Scorpion, a heavy pistol that shoots out sticky proximity mines), great music and a some genuinely rich emotional moments that strike a chord. The game's horrible conclusion and inability (or unwillingness) to weave "my Shepard's" actions from ME1 and 2 may not enough to "ruin" the game/series entirely and, for that matter, retroactively (a la Matrix Revolutions) but it's certainly enough to elicit a sense of regret over what could have been the best science fiction story of this current console generation (Portal 2 is safe!). Bottom line: an ominous shadow has been cast over this nearly spotless series. Expand
  75. Mar 28, 2012
    I feel this game on a whole was a letdown. Like most others reviewing this game i've Played mass effect 1&2 several times over and 3 does not come close to matching either experience. The side quest are a joke, the vast majority of them being stupid fetch quests. The only Place to buy/explore/talk to people is the citadel and even that seems poorly done. It just seems incomplete, likeI feel this game on a whole was a letdown. Like most others reviewing this game i've Played mass effect 1&2 several times over and 3 does not come close to matching either experience. The side quest are a joke, the vast majority of them being stupid fetch quests. The only Place to buy/explore/talk to people is the citadel and even that seems poorly done. It just seems incomplete, like chunks of story and quests were taken out of it - bet there will be a TON of DLC for this game. It IS a decent game but nowhere near the level of 1&2. The ending sucked at first for me but after reading some of the theories out there if seems kinda cool. I just can't shake the feeling that this game was mutilated and several important parts of it will be sold as DLC because it's a cash cow. Total, complete, letdown of a game. Expand
  76. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I'm definitely a Fanboy of Mass Effect - FOR NOW. I'm desperately holding out hope that the ending changes or at least gives a decent option that is truer to Shepard's character and the series, as that will be the ONLY WAY that Bioware gets more of my $$ in the future. It completely fails on both fronts. I'm still replaying the game and really enjoying the multiplayer, but that ending really damages the series. Outside of the ending. The graphics and cutscenes on the Xbox look fantast and run very smoothly. The (shooter) gameplay is the best of the series, and while I like that the mining from ME2 was replaced with scanning in ME3, too many of the extra missions can be resolved by simply scanning the systems and avoiding reapers. In the end it shortens gameplay and is too cookie cutter. Up until the last scene and the 'vanilla' ending options, even the story was true to what the other games in the series offered for depth, although the Edi / Jeff thing felt rushed (better writing needed there), the rest of the game is geat storywise. Downside: the ending of a trilogy of this caliber is an abomination to the concept of writing. Don't let Bioware defense fool you, this ending is not 'artistic'. Artistic license should not be used as an excuse for making such a terrible ending.

Overall though, this game doesn't rate a 1 or 2 / 10. The strengths put it up to a 6. I wouldn't recommend rushing out and buying it just yet if you were waiting. Let the price go down first.
  77. Mar 27, 2012
    ME 1 was smashing. Story, characters, everything. ME 2 was poor. Story, characters, everything. ME 3 is disappointing.
    Hey guys, isn't it time to stop building dumb arenas? It's the ADULT gaming era, ain't it? Conclusion, ME is a license that won't stay in my mind as one of the best ever (which ME 1 made me look forward to).
  78. Mar 27, 2012
    Sound design: Musical score is excellent. In previous games music resembles space-opera in ME3 music has different tone, more depressing which perfectly matches Sheppard current mission - save sapient life in Milky Way galaxy from Reapers. Voice acting is superb and guns sounds heavy as it should be. Great achievement.
    Graphical presentation: I'm little disappointed. After replaying ME2
    Graphical presentation: I'm little disappointed. After replaying ME2 and switching directly to ME3 you can see low resolution textures on character models, maybe it is subjective but still is hard to distinguish different items on casual outfits. Some armor models looks better then others. Lightening and reflection on armor are far worse then in previous title. Backgrounds on early stages of game looks like it made in first Xbox times, but it seems as story progresses you loose track and graphic start to look better. Like I said - completely subjective feeling.. In the begging of game on Earth, when you look down you can see strange 2D people running from the building which reminds me first games on PS1 and there are some glitches - Sheppard have some problem with eyes in early stages of game ;)
    Gameplay: Action oriented, fast and rewarding. Your squad mates are usually helpful, but sometimes when you order them to shoot at Banshee they charge right in front of her dying in result. On harder difficulty levels this can be irritating. N7 Cerberus missions are taking place on Multiplayer maps and are quite boring - same with multiple fetch quests. I miss hiding gun animation and roaming freely.
    Story: First act of game is quite boring, but as you play you get more and more immersed into universe. Characters from ME2 and quests feel a little forced and doesn't have depth - example: Zaed or Kasumi, but this is minor accusation
    Ending: It's true. Rage is acceptable. Full of plot holes and doesn't explain anything. If you take it directly the ending could be explained as: Reapers has won - either they destroy everything, or you inflict so massive damage to galaxy that you wiped out all species and solar systems with reapers. The only explanation is Indoctrination Theory. We all could be indoctrinated by Bioware - if it's true, and we will now in April then it's most incredible achievement in gaming history - but still making DLC for incomplete game is horrible act - even when it will be released free of charge.
    To sum up: AWSOME!
  79. Mar 27, 2012
    After I finished the first Mass Effect in 2007, I couldn't wait to play the two scheduled sequels. I was a little disappointed in Mass Effect 2, as there were less RPG elements in the game. It felt more commercialized. Mass Effect 3 feels even more commercialized than the second game. The addition of multiplayer was not something I was looking forward to at all, and it was just as terribleAfter I finished the first Mass Effect in 2007, I couldn't wait to play the two scheduled sequels. I was a little disappointed in Mass Effect 2, as there were less RPG elements in the game. It felt more commercialized. Mass Effect 3 feels even more commercialized than the second game. The addition of multiplayer was not something I was looking forward to at all, and it was just as terrible as I imagined. Having to suffer through disconnections, annoying people online (think any popular FPS online chatter- that kind of annoying), and the exact same gameplay over and over (the only game mode is where waves of enemies spawn, you kill them, repeat) validated my concerns about the multiplayer. I firmly believe it was put in there solely to appease a wider audience and thereby increase game sales ($$$). The single player game was amazing up until the last 10 minutes. The ending was one of the worst I have ever experienced in my 23 years of playing video games. Also, if they are planning to release a different ending via DLC, that only further proves the point that it seems to be more about the money than it does the game, Mass Effect canon, gameplay, or the fans. In summary, much of the game is amazing, but I am overall very disappointed. Wish I would have stopped playing after the original Mass Effect. Expand
  80. Mar 24, 2012
    Right this minute, Bioware is holding the future of narrative video gaming by the tail. They have been holding it for five years, but the future is a rough beast and Bioware must seize it soon or it will break their grip and scamper away for someone else to catch. Bioware didn't just create a series of games in Mass Effect, they created a phenomenon in video gaming. Perhaps withoutRight this minute, Bioware is holding the future of narrative video gaming by the tail. They have been holding it for five years, but the future is a rough beast and Bioware must seize it soon or it will break their grip and scamper away for someone else to catch. Bioware didn't just create a series of games in Mass Effect, they created a phenomenon in video gaming. Perhaps without understanding it fully, they created the concept of a game that could be entirely dependent on the actions of the player. When taken to a futuristic conclusion, it implies a game series in which not merely the narrative conclusions are dependent on player actions, but one in which the story itself that the player experiences depends on them. A game that offers multiple stories and experiences rather than one that simply tweaks conclusions. A narrative template comprising a whole universe that could be enriched over and over with new content. It is a breathtaking idea if only Bioware has the vision to see it. Mass Effect is a prototype, an imperfect exemplar of what such a game series could be. It was a good enough illustration of the concept that it was immediately embraced by gamers all over the world, but it is nothing like a complete realization. The technology will certainly require improvement before complete realization can be achieved.

The problem here, is not so much that the end was that bad. I believe that it was a horrible narrative choice, but ultimately that comes down to a matter of taste. The problem here is that at the eleventh hour, Bioware lost sight of the brilliance of their own concept and fell back on the past and on a final gimmick that turned the game's agile feet into clay. The prototype game of the future was hobbled by antiquated marketing notions. They wanted that last game to be all things to all people without taking into account just why the concept was revolutionary by itself. At the same time, though, they wanted it to be completely unique. Unforgettable was the word that Casey used. It was this awkward combination of marketing goals that was the downfall of the game. The multiple play modes.were, in fact, a stroke of genius. Had the mission structure lived up to the concept of the series ME3 would have been astonishing rather than merely very good. Had the game ended with multiple reflections of previous actions, the game would have been a nearly perfect experience instead of a trauma for so many. They didn't need the gimmick at the end to make the game unique, because they already had uniqueness built into the concept. Someone forgot that the concept depends on the player creating his own uniqueness.. In fact, this is a game concept in which the player creates his own experience. This is what mystifies me about Bioware's protestations regarding their alleged sole proprietary interest in the creative process. In creating this gaming concept, they gave up a bit of narrative creative interest to the gamer himself, so now I see little sense in miming surprise over this current controversy. In over 25 years of video gaming I have never seen anything to match the depth of emotional investment this game series has elicited from its fan base. I very much wonder whether the suits at EA have any genuine appreciation at all of the magnitude of Bioware's accomplishment in that regard.

With all that, Bioware is still on the razor's edge of inventing a whole new future for narrative video gaming if Bioware will commit themselves to seizing it. I have opined elsewhere that the franchise may be ruined already. That may or may not be the case, but the concept is alive and well if only Bioware will embrace it fully.
  81. Mar 24, 2012
    Rented at Redbox first to try it out. It was good enough to buy so I purchased. Not the best of the series but fun anyway. I have not got to the end yet so I cannot say how disappointed I will be by that; but overall gameplay is good, graphics solid. Guess I was hoping for a little more.
  82. Mar 22, 2012
    This was a very mixed experience, i understand what other people are talking about, there isn't much to criticize about the core gameplay, maybe the fact that the encounters feel very triggered, step right in and boom, enemies pop and now you need to kill em. Repeat this but change the enemy composition. Made me feel bit like dragon age 2 where i felt there was a great spot for an enemyThis was a very mixed experience, i understand what other people are talking about, there isn't much to criticize about the core gameplay, maybe the fact that the encounters feel very triggered, step right in and boom, enemies pop and now you need to kill em. Repeat this but change the enemy composition. Made me feel bit like dragon age 2 where i felt there was a great spot for an enemy encounter and whoops there it was every single time. There really didn't exist that much choice in the dialogue. You pretty much got all you wanted eventually no matter which way you wanted it. And for the side quests, well i just ended up eavesdropping, and then delivering stuff to people who i happened to pass by and had an indicator on em. I felt i was being held by hand. And everyone wanted to get in bed with me it seemed. But i spent a good 28 hours on the game, and don't think i will more. Expand
  83. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game. Very emotional game i almost cried at some times and very well done dialogue once again. Everything is right about this game, all the classes get to use assault and sniper rifles along with shotguns. This game is so good until the ending. The ending is sooo bad and out of place that this game was a set back for me. BioWare needs to do something fast before they lose there loyal fans.
  84. Mar 21, 2012
    In one word: disappointing. Where to even start with this game? I went into it still riding high on the fond memories of Mass Effect 1 and 2, expecting the advertised "spectacular conclusion to the series", but what I got fell terribly short. Honestly, I had to give this game as much as a 6 purely for the stunning graphics, it looks amazing. The storytelling is pretty bad, characters go toIn one word: disappointing. Where to even start with this game? I went into it still riding high on the fond memories of Mass Effect 1 and 2, expecting the advertised "spectacular conclusion to the series", but what I got fell terribly short. Honestly, I had to give this game as much as a 6 purely for the stunning graphics, it looks amazing. The storytelling is pretty bad, characters go to severe waste, and the whole thing is incredibly dumbed down from the RPG that Mass Effect 1 was. First off: dialogue. Throughout most of the game, I felt like my dialogue options were limited to "say X or say X while sounding a little more like jerk." There was hardly a decision to be made here. Apart from the limited options, the dialogue its self was poor. I thought I was playing a game based on my character's choices, but more often than not , Shepard took off on his own little non-interactive cutscenes with other characters. I'm sure many of us remember being disappointed with the way we could interact with the DLC squad mates (Kasumi/Zaeed) on the Normandy. In ME3, that's pretty much the way it works with everyone. You don't enter into conversations with them, you don't get to investigate any of their stuff in their rooms even. Shepard just stands there and talks to them in pre-done conversations on his own. Lame. I guess Bioware seemed to think that Shepard had grown a mind of his/her own and didn't need any input from the player. Past decisions were factored in minimally I felt, plot holes all around, things just happen and there's no real feeling of meaning to them. I know there's a galaxy wide war for survival going on, but that doesn't mean everyone in the galaxy is just going to change and roll along with it for you. Come on Bioware, are you even trying anymore? Oh, and Tali's "gift", seriously? Expand
  85. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The uproar about this game is as legit as it can get. To sum it up in a few words: the game is glorious until the 10 last minutes. I'm not even gonna take into consideration the day 1 DLC locked in the disk and all the stock photos like Tali's face and the easter egg secret ending, those are small potatoes compared to the last few minutes of the game.

It's funny how websites and game reviewers that earn from ad revenue have decided to paint every single person who's dissatisfied with how the end of the game was handled as simple angry nerds with entitlement problems and simply refuse to acknowledge any problems in the series. And the worst part about this is how your average normal gamer, who isn't as invested in gaming as the most passionate fans end up buying the whole story, as those are still the most viewed and sought after websites when it comes to reviews and gaming news. You guys just miss the point.

So, how did the ending ruin the entire series? Firstly, one can argue that many retcons in the second and third installments already ruined a good chunk of the game, but I disagree. Retcons happen all the time in most if not all of these expansive fictional universes. There's no way someone can think of the entire universe and have all the answers for everything and full compatibility between all plot elements. It's simply impossible. And even with retcons, you still have a very solid base for all the story elements, you know almost exactly how everything works. And this is why the ending disappointed so many: in about 10 minutes, it managed to negate everything you've learned in the span of 3 games. Everything you knew was a lie, and Shepard simply accepts that fact with open arms. And after you make your Deus Ex-esque decision, everything that follows simply refuse to make sense, having characters teleport from the battle to inside the Normandy, having Joker escape with the Normandy in the middle of the decisive battle for the future of the entire galaxy and not giving you any information about what happens next, what happened to your crew and all the characters you cared about for 3 games and doesn't even give us any clear information about what happened to the all the races and if the galaxy will be fine or if everything is over. To quote Mac's own note, "Lots of speculation from everyone" was their pick to finish this epic trilogy as opposed to a concise and satisfying ending. And this is where MOST of you apologists miss the point: people who complain about this ending aren't sad because Shepard dies. They're not sad because of the dark tone it took, we ALL knew this war was gonna take many sacrifices. Hell, we've seen it throughout the whole game: Mordin sacrifices himself to cure the Genophage; depending on how you played the game, Grunt also dies protecting the Rachni queen, Thane dies protecting the council, etc etc. Millions of people are dying all over the galaxy. I'm pretty sure most people EXPECTED Shepard to die heroically at the end. So this is not the problem with the ending at all. This is the "fan" side of the problem.

The other side of the problem is the consumer side. As a consumer, you expect a company to live up to its promises, and Bioware has failed immensely in this department. We've been promised - and I quote - "wildly different endings", each which would be influenced by important choices we made throughout the entire series. Did our important choices matter during Mass Effect 3? For the most part yes, I suppose. But the ending just completely nullifies all of your decisions and gives you 3 choices which only change the color of the explosion at the end. This video illustrates it perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rPelM2hwhJA. So as consumers, many people feel like they've been fooled and robbed of their money. And really? Did you forget how a "game with wildly different endings" work? Remember Chrono Trigger? That game had many different endings with completely different outcomes, with one of them being considered canon. Even if you lose the final battle, instead of a simple game over screen, you get a real ending where Lavos simply destroys the world. So for all of you defending Bioware's "creative rights", keep that in mind. Is this what they want as their canon ending to their series? Great, why not att alternate endings for all the other players with different kinds of choices? This is how games used to be handled back in the day and this is how Japanese media such as Visual Novels STILL handle it.

And this is all the disappointed fans want. We don't want our own headcanon or ME fanfiction to become reality, we just want to either get a concise ending (which fans already did for Bioware with the indoctrination theory), or the promised 16 wildly different endings according to our decisions. If you want to make God-child catalyst canon, go ahead, Bioware. Just give us the choice you promised we'd have.
  86. Mar 20, 2012
    Let me explain to you what all of this hype is about: the ending. The last 10 minutes. I mean, until the ending, the game was O.K., not as good as the rest of the series, but still pretty good. AND THEN THE ENDING. IT WAS HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE.
  87. Mar 20, 2012
    I loved this game, truely loved it.....except the ending.

I have loved this series since it started, I really hope that Bioware can think about adding alternate endings on, and save the series, because with the way it is now....it might just kill the series and the company.
  88. Mar 20, 2012
    I have loved the mass effect series since the first game, and Bioware had created something unique and amazing. The game was designed to be a trilogy, and it has an amazing story and unique way of playing. The third and final installment to the trilogy had some amazing gameplay and some solid action as well as recapturing some great amazing moments between your love interists. HoweverI have loved the mass effect series since the first game, and Bioware had created something unique and amazing. The game was designed to be a trilogy, and it has an amazing story and unique way of playing. The third and final installment to the trilogy had some amazing gameplay and some solid action as well as recapturing some great amazing moments between your love interists. However there are several plotholes as well reguarding some of the lore. The closure was also a very poorly executed thing is this game making little to no sense what so ever. in essense Mass Effect 3 was an amazing game but in the end fails to live up to the previous games in the series and fails t measure up to the hype. Before the ending 9/10, after the ending 5/10. Expand
  89. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I see it there are 2 opinions dominating the reviews here. People who wanna complain some aspects of the game (especially the ending) and therefore give very low scores to the game and people who believe it is an improvement from the already great ME2 and one of the best games ever and most likely have not played until the end.
    I am on neither group. I am one of the few people to give an slightly above average score. And I am a big fan of the series, played all 3 games with the DLCs, read the books and the comics.
    Don't let the trolls fool you, it is a good game, it is based on the second game, it cannot get much worse. But there are serious flaws that could have been corrected from the second game or were poorly changed from the second game (which I consider to be the best of the 3).
    Most of the good points were already on ME2 and for those I give the slightly above average score. Besides what was already on ME2, the biggest improvements IMHO are the weapons mod system which merged the first and second game beautifully and the fact that you can see more of your past decisions taking effect in this game than there were from the first game into the second. So I will focus on what could be better
    First of all, I understood the story at the beginning because I played all the DLCs, but those who have not played it are going to get a bit lost, the game itself does not provide much insight for new players or those who have not played the last DLC from the 2nd game (Arrival).
    Second, quest organization is terrible, you can't track your current progress on each quest and are often wandering around the citadel looking for the quest giver who you completely forgot the face or location.
    The only "city" (as the place you get quests and buy stuff in) in the game is the citadel, just like on the first game, which was a major let down for me, the second had Elysium and Omega in addition to the citadel and where great.
    The game basically focus on 2 big quests inside of the main quest which is defeating the reapers. Those quests are making an alliance between the Krogans and the Turians and doing the same thing between the Geth and the Quarians. Of course there are other quests like on Thesia and the Cerberus headquarters, but they are single mission quests not like the first two mentioned. I feel like the second game was much longer and had more quests than the 3rd.
    The number of squad members has reduced, this would have been explainable if the purpose was the develop each story with more depth, but that doesn't happen, loyalty missions are out and there are no squad member specific missions, in addition to this point, there is the day 1 DLC From Ashes, which adds the Prothean squad mate to your team, I am not getting into the point of how low it is to release a day 1 DLC, but the new character could add much more depth to the story and could come with more than the recruit mission.
    The developers still haven't thought a good way to make space exploring more engaging and interesting, on this game this aspect has been put on the third plane, of course it makes sense considering the plot, but they could come up with good ideas to put it in the game in a interesting and coherent (according to the story) way.
    Multiplayer is the most difficult thing for me to comment, I liked the fact that they've added multiplayer to the game and even more that it somewhat affects the singleplayer campaign. But it could have more maps (there are about 6) and more game modes.
    Lastly on my list, the thing that has put everyone on edge on the internet, the ending. And here I agree with almost everyone, it was a let down. This has nothing to do with the fact that Shepperd dies and almost every scenario except one, this was almost expected, but the fact that your decisions have very little to no impact on the ending besides the "war effort" value. You have three (or two) options regardless of your decisions and the ending sequence is almost the same: the reapers are destroyed or leave earth (it earth is not destroyed, depending on your war effort value), the normandy escapes from a beam and falls on a planet full of plant life, depending on your war effort some people survive (or all of them). But there are no explanation on how your decisions impacted the outcome, many questions are left unanswered which led to many theories on the net (look up on youtube). It is a game worth playing specially if you played the other two, but the ending destroys replay value which was one of the most fun things about the second game.
    Sorry for any English mistakes as I am Brazilian.
  90. Mar 19, 2012
    Had it not been for the ending, Mass Effect 3 would have gotten a solid 10/10 from me. I loved the franchise. I loved the emotional impact of 98% of the final installment in this trilogy. Unfortunately, the ending completely negated any choices you've made over the course of nearly 120 hours of game investment. I don't play action RPGs by Bioware expecting for them to drop the ball thisHad it not been for the ending, Mass Effect 3 would have gotten a solid 10/10 from me. I loved the franchise. I loved the emotional impact of 98% of the final installment in this trilogy. Unfortunately, the ending completely negated any choices you've made over the course of nearly 120 hours of game investment. I don't play action RPGs by Bioware expecting for them to drop the ball this profoundly in the finale. So disappointed that they chose to go this route. Expand
  91. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My thoughts on the game without the ending, and a lil rant about the ending. I found the game play flawless, dialogue interesting, cinematic cut scenes very moving, game world breathtaking and an epic score of musical talent. It isn't hard to believe that the awe inspiring sight of a thresher maw being used to destroy a reaper was the highlight of the game for me and even at that high point it still managed to keep me glued for 3days. But at that stratospheric heights of the euphoria one feels when thinking they are playing the new benchmark for all RPG games, the cold vacuum of space sucks the air from your lungs and your are left to float aimlessly in the void. Leaving the amazement and wonder of the last 72 hours is reduced to a "Uh..wait a minute!?" moment. Personally, I feel that the game wasn't done justice and Bioware and EA should be apologizing for the awful, hideous and tone deaf sonata of an otherwise perfect symphony. (ps. An ending with simply a picture of everyone who survived giving a thumbs up would have been far superior to the dribble that was served.) Expand
  92. Mar 19, 2012
    A fantastic story, well written with some of the best voice acting in the history of gaming. Tragically let down by buggy cover mechanics, graphic glitches, and an ending sequence that sours the entire series.
  93. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is, up until the last 15 minutes, absolutely superb. If it weren't for the ending (the same ending that there has been so much vitriol about) In playing the game I was playing something that I felt would succeed in rewarding all my hopes and expectations for the conclusion of Bioware's magnificent series. For the most part, ME3 delivers, even the multiplayer is good. The characters are well thought out, the story works well (again, right up until the end) and there are some genuinely touching moments.

And then I get to the last half hour of the game. I will tell you this right now. The ending is so terrible that I'm going to open my thesaurus to help me describe this. It's dreadful, appalling, horrendous, horrid, abhorrent, sickening, atrocious, distasteful. Nothing could have prepared me for this horrible conclusion. It succeeds to make the choices that were such a big part of the series absolutely meaningless, everyone gets the same idiotic morality choice regardless. This is even more disappointing because not only were we promised something more but I've even seen plans that would have fulfilled their promises and our expectations that Bioware and EA failed to deliver on.

I don't know who was responsible for this. Bioware falling asleep at the wheel, EA for lacking a soul and trying to dumb down the series for the Call of Duty playing lowest common denominators they're trying to sell the game to.

If the ending were at all good, Mass Effect 3 would have earned itself a 10/10, as the ending is now, 7 is high praise.
  94. Mar 19, 2012
    Well i will start by saying that im amazed that critics scored this game nearly perfect but not many went into detail about ending, never mention it @ all or simply (and boldly) allowed readers to think the game was great from start to finish, then i happened 2 go "outside the bubble" and found smaller, more obscure reviews and the score factored in that the ending was "literary suicide"Well i will start by saying that im amazed that critics scored this game nearly perfect but not many went into detail about ending, never mention it @ all or simply (and boldly) allowed readers to think the game was great from start to finish, then i happened 2 go "outside the bubble" and found smaller, more obscure reviews and the score factored in that the ending was "literary suicide" as one wrote. as quoted by r. ebert "if you had to ask what it symbolized, then it didnt" and i can say that this very much sums up the ending, struck in awe like many, i wasnt even sure if i had beat the game and had to check mt trophy in order to sort out if i did. thats just it, i felt like i did not know what had just happened and had to wait for the credits to scroll to know its over,and so i convince myself that ok maybe i just did not see the right ending and maybe i got the bad ending, "yes that must be it, w/ so many endings i must have screwed up along the way and got the bad ending" come to find out i got the desired and the most "definative" ending.. so then i go back and replay the mission etc and all the other endings are pretty much identical beside a different color or "end sequence" which consisted of a minute or so animation of walking another direction etc. i wont get into conspiracy theories or anything which is out of context but its kind of hard not to fall prey or offer self to some distraction or debate because we not only invested time, we invested emotion.. hours upon hours of carefully making right choices for a desired import etc, and for what? if i kind of got a heads up from critics that "decisions do not play as significant a role in mass 3 as it did in the prior 2" then i wouldve been able to prepare,lol.. but we are hearing words like art, story telling masterpiece also we were told by bioware that this would have multiple endings, a deeper consequence/decision mechanic, an end which would the opposite from lost, well no it may actually take the belt away from lost for the wtf just happened moment but the fact is that i shouldve known that a game which has a formula that works almost seamlessly, based primarily on decisions as well as story driven sequences which make the gamer care, think and DECIDE, it works so good that while i played every mass efect i made every decision carefully to prep my shep for the import into the next game, so if i am playing a game and already thinking of the next one then the system is almost flawless imo.. BUT it is obvious E.A had a bit of influence and brings me back to my point with this "formula", they deserted it and decided for MASS APPEAL rather than mass effect and i noticed this during the demo and how much emphasis was put on how one can play the game how one wishes and that the game can be toggled to suit any style, dont like stories? choose combat.. hate decisions? well you can toggle that too.. but wait, isnt that the part of mass effect which makes it like few others? and isnt that what i have spent many hours doing to have a desired and effective playthrough as well as end? was it just me or did it feel silly to scan planets this time around? as to say "hey dont want to waste time scanning for elements, well we fixed that too" huh? call me a loser, call me what you want BUT i enjoyed taking my time scanning for minerals and elements and launching probes with a feeling of purpose, because that was one of the many things which made me love this game, felt like what i did mattered and fulfilling. i can understand E.A 's stance from a business perspective, their knowledge and tactics of knowing that the fanbase of mass effect are going to buy this game regardless so lets find some fresh blood, but did the solid core and fan base have to feel jipped, let down, disappointed, confused and as well as angry in exchange for new profits/gains? well the core, the fans well we are mass effect. it breaths because we let it, we let it because it was great ,brought quality and emotion and stood apart from many other games and the exp was one like few others. but as much respect a game/developer may get through time can be undone in ten minutes.. i can not say that mass effect 3 was a bad game, but after putting in hours of decisions, careful choices to have it not effect anything in regards to the end , other than the war assets and "co-op"readiness , well i feel like it was more of a "okay hurry up and get this over with and go play co-op after" the fact remains that mass effect 3 is still a solid game, but an ending which was promised to be the finale we dream about also being admittedly rushed well how does anything rushed ever result to anything other than sub par to par? a game is about the exp, mass effect is about a unique and gripping exp BUT the end ruined both.. its obvious a lot has changed in the gaming industry in the past 5 years, mass effect supports this in every respect, reapers went from FEAR INDUCING to PAWNS Expand
  95. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong, the Mass effect experience is awesome in more ways then one. Telling us our choices would have an impact on the ending and that we would get 15 - 17 different endings is PURE BLISS!!!. Getting to the end of the game and finding out that not only is there only three very veery similar endings, but they completely butchered the lore of mass effect and managed to piss off this fan with the last 10 minutes of the ending. No longer will I be purchasing DLC, games nor any mass effect memorbilia that i was planning on getting until this situation is fixed and hopefully soon. Bioware, you have let me down completely. Expand
  96. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the game until about the last 20 minutes to hour. The action kept me right on the edge of my seat, the entire game was an emotional roller coaster. The game had me laughing until I could not breathe and turning around and bawling like a baby. I really could not have asked for a better game for the ending of this series.

Then I got to the end of the game. I was prepared for an epic battle against the Reapers, I got a rainbow choice. None of the 'choices' presented to me were in anyway true to Commander Shepard, at least not the Commander Shepard that I came to know and love through three games. Though in the end there was really only a single choice with three different flavors.

Now a lot of people think I am unhappy because I didn't get a 'happy' ending, or was unhappy getting a 'bittersweet' ending. That could not be further from the truth. I expected a bittersweet ending, where you had to choose between saving most people and saving Shepard, or Shepard's friends. I was expecting there to be hard choices, as there had been through out the previous games. I expected that if I didn't manage to have done everything right through the three games, I would have problems at the end. I fully expected to have to sacrifice my Shepard for the good of everyone. I hoped there would be a way for Shepard to live and go about her/his way with LI and friends, but I was never counting on that.

What I never wanted to see, was the circular logic that the Reapers became, an AI god child controlling everything. The Galaxy set back at least decades, more like centuries, with the destruction of the Relays. I surely never thought I would see Shepard's crew leave her/him and run away, getting marooned on some planet we have no idea where. All in all the game was a 10/10 the ending killed that for me. I really wish Bioware had thought that out more than they did. I hope they will think things further through and do right by their fans and at least add explanations to the rainbow.

Thanks.
  97. Mar 19, 2012
    This game was not as good as I had hoped. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I did not enjoy it as much as the previous 2. Having said that, it was still fun, and it was definitley not sa bad as some people make it out to be.
  98. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, like Mass Effect 2 and 3. But too many damned bugs (2 mission impossible to get accomplished) and i got a bit disappointed with the ending. The ending itself is OK, but... all the choices made in 3 games became... nothing! Or at least, nothing i can see in the end. I would give it 10 if all the bugs are corrected and a decent ending (maybe the same ending but with many consequences made by previous decisions) Expand
  99. Mar 18, 2012
    ME3 is an outstanding game, don't get me wrong. Each clue episode is as heart-touching as ever, dialogues are excellently written (for the most part), and the whole emotional impact is so huge, that i couldn't handle myself and cried several times. But...
    But. The ending. It's not bad at all. It's even metaphorical and very surrealistic. OK. But i personally play Mass Effect not for it's symbolical content, but for it's straightness with a player. It's deep connection with you and the Big Story is one of the most important parts of the series. The motivation is important. This ending has no motivation at all. It feels unfinished and frustrating. Why do we play 85+ hours of the greatest adventure in gaming history? We were given the right to choose. And it was very well made, indeed. The ending of ME3 doesn't give you a satisfaction, because there is no choice at all. Some pointless images, highly metaphorical (and profoundly disconnected with the whole series) scenes, and then... It ends. Are you really sure?..
    It's supposed to be a trilogy, right? And why do i feel, that the last scenes are bad jokes? It seems for me, that the "Epilogue" DLC will be the right decision.
    Please, Bio Ware. There is nothing to be ashamed. You did a great job. But the ending confused too many of us. You may not rewrite it, but you still can correct it.
    I still recommend this game to everyone with a good taste and open heart and mind. But, first of all, play the previous two installations, and then proceed to this one. Maybe, by the time you finish it, we'll get the proper ending...
  100. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm torn, and deeply saddened by the ending. Mass effect 2 was the best game I've ever played to date, and I flat out loved every second of that game. I absolutely loved mass effect three practically the entire game. Loved the voice acting, combat, and much of the writing, but the ending just flat out disappointing me. I was expecting the endings to be vastly different from each other, butI'm torn, and deeply saddened by the ending. Mass effect 2 was the best game I've ever played to date, and I flat out loved every second of that game. I absolutely loved mass effect three practically the entire game. Loved the voice acting, combat, and much of the writing, but the ending just flat out disappointing me. I was expecting the endings to be vastly different from each other, but they're pretty much the exact same ending over and over again. I feel like the choices I made in the previous two games really didn't matter at all. Regardless of the giant letdown at the ending, I still loved the game and enjoyed every second of it to ending. Expand
  101. Mar 12, 2012
    The ending ruins an otherwise great game. It makes no sense and BioWare did not live up to their hype nor promises at this point. I hope they will either explain it or fix it, because I'm not getting where they are trying to go with it. The worst of it, is that you could have done absolutely nothing in the previous two games or even in this one and would probably still get the same oldThe ending ruins an otherwise great game. It makes no sense and BioWare did not live up to their hype nor promises at this point. I hope they will either explain it or fix it, because I'm not getting where they are trying to go with it. The worst of it, is that you could have done absolutely nothing in the previous two games or even in this one and would probably still get the same old ending. Kinda sad considering the promises made in interviews. Collapse

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.