5.6

1. Mar 14, 2012
    It is the most beautifully crafted sci fi game i've ever played in my life, story/gameplay/graphics all came together in one unforgettable experience ... right until last 10 min.
  2. Mar 14, 2012
    this game is the flop of 2012. Mass affect 1 is rather then 3. Mass affect 1 is het best.
    no more a game from bioware of EA this game is Poor writing.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was a wild ride but the ending was like punch my (Krogan) quads. I feel utterly betrayed there was no player choice taken into account with the ending. All 16 endings were just a variation on a theme anyhow. The ending boils down to a red/blue/green selection. Don't believe me, check Youtube.
  4. Mar 14, 2012
    WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

As a prelude, let me just say that I'm a writer, and I make my living writing. I've been a writer since long before Mass Effect came out, and that's a huge part of what drew me to these games. What I loved about the ME series was how masterfully the story was woven in such a way that the authors (Bioware) crafted a tale that actually permitted input from the
    readers (gamers) to determine how the story progressed. No matter what path you chose, the story was interesting and engaging, but your decisions always had clear consequences in the end, as the decisions of any protagonist should.

Coming into ME3, I was a little nervous. After all, with the bar being set so high with the other two, could Bioware really deliver a fitting conclusion? I mentally prepared myself for the worst. But then, as I played through the game, my fears were gradually alleviated. Frankly, the experience was Epic with a capital E. I saw how the decisions my character had made in the previous games impacted the galaxy around him. The characters came to life and drew pure emotional responses from me as the plot continued to weave itself together. But the arc of the story was clear: Shepard was not going to survive. I was okay with that, and I was ready for that. And playing through the final mission on Earth, having final conversations with all of Shep's squadmates, the writer in me was satisfied. All the loose ends seemed to be tied up. The ending was in sight, it was just a matter of seeing what exactly would happen.

I'll spare you the details, but in the last 5 minutes of what had essentially been a hundred hours (or more) of story, that story was destroyed. The sad thing is that the story all made sense, it all fit, except for that last 5 minutes. From the perspective of a player, I failed to accomplish my mission. To quote Ecclesiastes, it was all vanity and grasping after the wind. From a writer's perspective, it's like I crafted a beautifully written and engaging trilogy of novels, but made someone else who didn't know the story or care about the characters write the last paragraph of the last book.

As I played through the game, I kept thinking: "This is how video games should be." Now, seeing the end, all I can ponder is what could have been. It was so close to being perfect! But it all unraveled in 5 minutes, FIVE minutes! I didn't want a "happy" ending where Shep lives and has kids and blah-blah-blah (although the option would have been nice, admittedly), I just wanted an ending that kept in step with the series and made sense to a reasonable person. But none of the "endings" meet those criteria. It's just that simple, and just that disappointing.

The endings as they are, if accepted in a straightforward manner, are so nonsensical that anything, even a hallucination or even the Reapers winning, would be more fitting. At the very least I hope Bioware will own up to how mercileslly they butchered the end of such a great story. The optimist in me dares to hope that they actually do something about it; it would not be the first time a game was significantly changed with a patch, or that a game's ending was changed with a DLC pack. No one is going to forget the feeling of being betrayed by the end of ME3, but it would go a long way towards healing those wounds if Bioware would try to make things right somehow.

As a writer, I understand the argument that the creator of a story has the right to determine the ending as they see fit. And I think it's valid. But even in the realm of printed fiction, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "changed his story" and brought back Sherlock Holmes after the public outcry at the character's death. Even in the realm of literature, there's room for an author here and there to admit they were wrong and change their tune. I earnestly hope Bioware decides to do the same.
  5. Mar 14, 2012
    Bioware. Sit down. We need to have a talk. Listen, I was with you when you took the customization out of Mass Effect 2. I defended you when you blatantly recycled maps in Dragon Age 2. I even enjoyed your poor gameplay copy of World of Warcraft with The Old Republic. Why? Because the writing in your games was good! I enjoyed your stories! But this is inexcusable. That Bioware writing I know and love is gone. The feeling that my choices matter, which made your games so great is utterly absent. Instead, I'm given a generic piece of junk that has a completely slap-dash ending. I'm sorry Bioware, but we're over, I cannot stand to play your games after this. But we had some good times, didn't we? Remember Baldur's Gate? Yeah, I'll always treasure those memories. Good bye, Bioware. Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    I must agree with many others, the ending ruins the game. I was skeptical that the ending could indeed be as bad as everyone has claimed-I was wrong. Gone is the choice that exemplified this series. Gone is the hours of fun (not work) that preceded this game. Gone is the sense of accomplishment, however minor, that marked the completion of the previous Mass Effect games. Truly, what disgusts me about this game is I feel betrayed by the developers. The sense of control over your character's actions, and the consequences of your decisions are for naught. In the end, nothing you have done matters. If you are new to the series, flip a coin for every choice; they are meaningless. Once I was an ardent Bioware supporter, no longer. My ties with bioware are cut, beginning with credit from Gamestop for this game, followed by a cancelling of SWTOR and a refusal to play any other Bioware games. Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2012
    The ending alone ruined the entire series for me. I can't even play the game again because nothing I did even mattered. It is one of the only games I have played that I walked away feeling disgusted that I had even spent the money on it. If you care about story and honesty from a company, then don't buy this game.
  8. Mar 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 and 2 are both exceptional games that created a unique, engrossing experience. Mass Effect 3 continued this trend, even vastly improving on the emotional and character driven aspects of the game. Combat is also much improved over the previous games. The final 15 minutes of the game, however, ruined the whole. It appears as if Bioware gave up; the endings are unoriginal, filled with plot holes, and turn their back on the defining characteristics of the series: character choice and the motif of hope. If Bioware and EA respond to the massive outcry of their failure to bring closure to the series by creating new endings, the game would very well be one of the best I have ever played. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2012
    Why did I give this a zero? Because after countless hours and characters made through the first 2, I completed the 3rd. I have absolutely NO DESIRE to go back and play ANY of these games now. If I did there would always be a feeling of despair. It is all just absolutely pointless.I wish I had never picked up this series in the first place. Complete waste of time and money. This game crushes hope along with your soul. NONE of what you choose in its predecessors matter. You only get ONE ending, recycled with different colors and some very minor tweaking. Expand
  10. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. !!!SPOILER ALERT!!!
    I LOVED Mass effect 3 right up until the ending which for me destroyed the replay value of the entire trilogy, since nothing I did during the three titles mattered at all in the end. It was all for nothing. The game premise is about morality, choice and submersion. You end up caring about your Shep, your crew and the entire galaxy almost like a second life outside your daily life. I know I did anyway. The concept of the game I thought, was that the choices we made helped shape the future of you as the hero, your crew and the galaxy. That idea was blown right out the airlock during the last 10 min. or so when my Shep totally caved in and accepted Star Child's three suicide choices. My Shep would never have acted like that. My Shepherd would have pulled his gun and planted on between the eyes of that stupid IA or what ever it was..I really don't know how to finish this last sentence, because the end didn't make any sense to me..I'm not really sure what happened.. Other than that, this was by far the best game in the trilogy, if it wasn't for the lazy written ending. I wanted to give this game a score of 1 just to spite EA and Bioware, but that wouldn't be fare. So I'll give it a 3. If the ending lived up to the rest of the game I would have given it a 10 no doubt.
  11. Mar 15, 2012
    The game was superb up till the final 15 minutes of the game. But, sadly the 3 choices of at the end just ruin it all. Either you get a green, orange, or blue light show. The so called illusion of choice it absent as well at the end. Giving the fans no closure because they just ended it! Just overall a disappointment because of the terrible ending.
  12. Mar 15, 2012
    Given the amount of time and effort, not to mention the emotional investment put into the series, the ending of this game goes against everything the series was built on. It effectively ruined the journey for me and many others.
  13. Mar 15, 2012
    If it were a stand alone, this game would be pretty good. If you've played through from the beginning at least once (about 60 hours just to get to ME3) this game will be a massive disappointment. Until the last ten minutes it is one of the greatest games I have ever paid. From then on it robs you of any significant choice, throws out years of great writing for over-done cliches piled upon each other and less of a playback of an investment than when Fallout 3 first came out. I have spared three of my friends the let down of this game, and would do so for you the reader. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  14. Mar 15, 2012
    After 7 playthrough of ME and 6 of ME 2 a nearly 400 hours and bunch of buck i spend on this franchise iË
  15. Mar 15, 2012
    It may as well have been the best game I have ever played in my life and I have been gaming all my life. Everything they do is PERFECT... until the last 10 minutes. The last 10-15min of the game is the thing I have ever come across in gaming it takes the greatest series of all time(in my mind) and just runs all 3 games into the ground for no apparent reason. Bioware has lied to and now turned on their fans who only ever truly cared about the ME series. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME WHATEVER YOU DO UNTIL... Bioware undoes the mistakes they made with the ending. Please don't pay them to screw over their fans.
    Thanks you everyone. :D
  16. Mar 16, 2012
    First I have to say in fairness their were emotional highs and lows over the course of this game that have never been matched by a video game in my life I laughed at myself even as I cried when characters I had grown attached to died. But all that goes to crap when you get to the end. The ending makes every single action and choice you have made in the previous 3 games irrelevant. No matter what everything ends the same and no matter what you do that ending is bad. Full of plot holes and bad. All those promises about choice mattering and a variety of endings are LIES if you don't believe me find the same 3 endings on youtube. All the same all bad. I can't even look at any of the 3 games without feeling sick. The replayability of the entire series ends when this game ends because you know no matter what you do THIS is how it ends and that sucks all the will to play right out of you. Don't ruin your previous 2 games by playing this piece of garbage. There are also a couple of buggy missions where enemies don't spawn and you have to restart and NOT kill the enemies, and Shepard does not run he/she floats with no footfall sound the lip syncing is immersion breaking its so bad. My advice to new fans get a different game. My advice to old fans. RUN AWAY! And don't look back Expand
  17. Mar 16, 2012
    In a race, a runner may have an extraordinary performance, may lead all the way, but still lose in the end if he/she falls or abandon before the finish line. That's what happened with ME3. Despite all the good stuff for most of this third installment in the story, there was a major failure to deliver in the end and this made all that preceded null and void, for naught, a complete ruin. The choices presented to Shepard were nonsensical and there was merely cosmetic differences between the possible endings. What most fans expected were vastly different endings from the very bad (where the reapers win and kill all) to the very good (where Shepard and his/her crew survive and have a huge party), depending on choices made in the preceding episodes and earlier part of ME3. What a total disappointment! What we got served was a uniformly bad ending with a choice of sauce. Sorry Bioware, but despite nice graphics and some very good action, you don't deserve more than 4 mainly for your failure to deliver in the end. Expand
  18. Mar 16, 2012
    I'm reviewing this right after finishing so this may be overly influenced by the ending. Nonetheless, 3 games worth of choices and storytelling were tossed out the window in the final minutes leaving me with a severely bad impression. I don't mind the tone or the darkness. I do mind that it felt like, for the ending, a different group of writers were brought in, given a two-sentence plot summary and told that resources were limited so they should cut as many corners as possible.

Up until then, I was planning on going back on playing through all three again to see the results of different paths. After I played through the 3 alternate endings thinking I must have just picked the wrong one the first time, I was so annoyed that I just uninstalled it.

For a game in which the consequences of choices have had real in-game (and emotional) impacts up to that point, to have the ending completely disconnected from any choices you made is ridiculous.
  19. Mar 16, 2012
    This series has changed my ability to become completely immersed in a video game. this game delivered many things on game play. The combat was fun and over all mission game play was fun, however; the "scanning" type missions where quite unfun, they could have absolutely improved that. If it where not for the ending, I would of rated this 9 or 9.5/10.

Every thing that you have herd about
    the ending is true, it is disappointing at best. The terrible-ness of the ending overshadowed this game and almost made the 100 or so hours I have put into the series. I wont get into details for the sake of spoilers, but I will say that the ending has absolutely no closure, it is a half-ass job and has no sense of originality or personalisation (which was a very bad time to take that aspect out of the series). 1/10 Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2012
    This was to be the apex of the story. However it quickly is ruined by what Bioware and EA feel is an ending that makes "sense". There really is very little reason to complete the series as it was all for nothing. I really enjoyed the first and second games. I took the day off to get it release day and I firmly regret it. On top of this Bioware is now claiming that passionate fans are simply demanding to much when we request endings that are logical and factor in our choices. This game like its creator and publisher didn't deliver and hence my rating. Expand
  21. Mar 17, 2012
    Fans of the game (I was one) are flabbergasted the complete failure to deliver by Bioware. Gamers that, like me, followed this incredible trilogy (ME1, ME2 and ME3) got emotionally involved with the richness of the in-game characters and their interactions. All along and from the beginning of ME1, they were told by Bioware that choices that they made along the story arc would eventually have an impact on the ending. This was not the case. In the end (the last fifteen minutes or so), the main character of the game is presented with three choices, but these have practically no relationship with the rest of the game and how it was played. The impression is that Bioware decided to cut costs and rush the ending, as the three ending options are equally shoddy, with pseudo-philosophical explanations that don't make much sense. There is no resolution and the players are left with the impression that all they have done up to the end was a complete waste of time and effort. Most importantly, the players are left emotionally empty. It's a very confusing and depressing feeling let me tell you. The game could have had an epic ending with variations from the very bad (everyone dies) to the very good (everyone survives and there's a victory party) and an in-between bittersweet ending with lots of tears... But Bioware dropped the ball just before the finish line. I give this game a score of 3. These points are for the technical and artistic aspects, which are ok and good respectively. The main part of the points in my mind would have gone to the story; it gets 0 for the stupid stupid stupid endings. ME3 should have been the ultimate conclusion to the trilogy, a high point of sorts, but turns out in the end to be a dud. Expand
  22. Mos
    Mar 17, 2012
    Having played both previous ME games multiple times, this latest series feels like a complete slap in the face. I was already put out by the lack of deep character interaction, tiny team roster and military style emotionless mission grinds, but I never expected the ending to utterly destroy the ME franchise. ME3 made me a very sad panda.
  23. Mar 17, 2012
    The endings steal the strength of the mass effect series in the importance of your choices and the possibility of different paths. Join the retakeme3 movement and demand a proper ending to an otherwise great experience.
  24. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a marvelous game that manages to destroy the entire trilogy in its last 15 minutes. The first 95% of the game is really quite good. Bioware manages to put together some spectacular set pieces and really fun action scenes. The combat is also for the most part better than it has been in the previous games. They also do a good job brining in things from the previous games, and let you make some really cool decisions. The dialog and voice acting is quite excellent for the most part. There were parts that were hilarious and parts that I will admit I cried at. I did have some minor problems with this portion of the game, though. The â Expand
  25. Mar 17, 2012
    The most important parts of a story are the beginning and the end. The end fails so completely that it can't be reasonably scored as an enjoyable game at all until it's fixed.

And give us Tali's face in the game, not in a damn picture. How lazy can you get? I can photoshop Tali from a stock picture from the internet myself. Years and years of game development and that's your answer to a
    huge reveal like Tali's face? Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2012
    Great story, excellent gameplay... WORST ENDING EVER. This feel like a slap to the face to every Bioware fan that invested time in this game. The ending could be described as follow: PAY FOR THE NEXT DLC TO KNOW THE REAL ENDING! Absolutely and terribly disappointing.
  27. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a mere shadow of the game that its predecessors were. There are so many glaringly poor design choices made throughout. Things that worked perfectly well in Mass Effect 2 have been "fixed" so that the overall experience is frustrating. From side quests being dumbed down to poorly updated quest entries on the journal to the limited speech options, it is almost like Bioware wanted to ruin this game. Expand
  28. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is brilliant UNTIL!!! the totally gutting and terrible ending to this fantastic series, why? just why??? it has nothing to do with anything, no choices make a difference, it is a punch in face to loyal fans, a new character in the dying seconds of the game tells you this: The Reaperâ Expand
  29. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right - http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Somehow Bioware managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of gaming victory with an ending that is poorly written and makes no sense. The article link is one of the best summaries I've read. But hey, as long as EA made loads of money, who cares if the
    race to ship the product short-changed gamers? Expand
  30. Mar 18, 2012
    Greatest game series I've ever played... until the last 10 minutes completely undoes EVERYTHING the series stood for and all the hard work put into three games. Bioware didn't just drop the ball at the one yard line in the last game of a perfect season. Bioware stopped at the one yard line and gave everyone in the audience the finger.
  31. Mar 18, 2012
    I know the game had to end at some point, but this could have been implemented in a much better way. The writers made every decision made in the previous games, and even in this game, mean absolutely nothing. There are "multiple" ending, but all of them have the same basic outcome.
  32. Mar 18, 2012
    The game was beautiful. As it has been described to me it is like watching one of the greatest firework displays. You sit at the edge of your seat and you are moving ever closer to the finally. How could this get better? How is this going to end? When it finally comes to that last firework being shot off you sit there and watch as it is a dud....also it lands and smashes you in the face. The game leading up to it the end was one of the best in the series in my opinion. It did not grip you as much as it did in the others, I did feel like I was just watching on the side line. However game play improvements and multiplayer is great. The endings however ruin it for me. Nothing that I choose to do mattered, it was all for nothing really. To top it off they decide to put at the very end of the game a shameless plug for buying their DLC as a way to continue with the experience.... I am sorry but to throw a terrible ending in my face for a character I have invested over 100 gameplay hours and then to tell me to buy DLC....what a joke.

My score reflects the endings and not the overall game. I apologize it if appears that I am trying to bomb the review for ME3. However as a long time fan this score (4/10) is what I feel is fair.
  33. Mar 18, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect Series. i watch it devolve from RPG to 3rd person shooter. However Mass Effect was able to keep the balance. The way i rate the game success is replay ability. After how ME3 ending i can not even play Mass Effect original again. The passion has been ripped out of me for the series. It came down to A B or C option. Either way everything is over with the universe. It was out of character and confusing. The ending was being written during the whole game and was culminating into a spectacular ending. However this was thrown away. For a modern cliche twist ending. It's sad this was on the way for the best RPG of the 21st century. Something for the benchmark all RPG on for the future. Gone. Expand
  34. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played all three Mass Effect games and have loved them. The Mass Effect series is my second favorite series. However, this game is extremely disappointing. The game is great up until the last hour when you "take back" Earth. It was nothing as expected or advertised. I expected to have an ending that was a blend of ME1 and ME2. This means that I expected to have epic space and land battles where I had to make ethical decisions that impacted the game. The ending was nothing like this. It was basically the same as any other mission, and you have to make a "choice" at the end. There are three options, and they are all bad options with the same cut scene ending. The cut scene makes no sense, answers no questions, provides no closure, and is an insult to all of the fans of Mass Effect. I basically have two big problems with the game. One, the ending is too ambiguous which doesn't provide any answers or satisfaction. You don't know what happened to the crew, races, worlds, or galaxy. Two, the ending is anti-climatic which means that it is boring and not fitting for a Mass Effect game and especially for the end of a trilogy.
    I have a third problem, but it is not with the game. The third problem is with the developer. Bioware has made some unethical, greedy business decisions lately. It started with their decision to make KOTOR into an MMO instead of another console release. They knew that they would make more money with it as an MMO. I won't get into why I hate MMOs and how they are destroying the RPG genre. Bioware has recently dumbed down other RPG games like Dragon Age II and ME3 to appeal to the masses and make more money. This brings us to ME3. There are three issues with ME3. First, there is a code required to play the multiplayer. This is done to make more money from people who rent or buy used. Second, they have a release day DLC which is something they did for ME2 also. That DLC should be included with the retail release, but they sell it separately to make more money. The DLC isn't worth $10 because it is just one short mission and a playable character. All work completed before the retail release should be included in the retail price. I shouldn't have to pay extra unless they create the material after the release date. Third, they are releasing a DLC with the "true" ending, and they will charge $10 (or more) for this DLC. They made this false ending that no one likes so they could force everyone to buy the DLC with the "true" ending. It was done on purpose because Shepard awakens at the end of the cut scene and is back on Earth. The ending wasn't real. If it wasn't real, why is the real ending released months later and requires additional money? The real ending should have been included on the retail release that you have already bought at a high price. This is also done to make more money at the expense of loyal fans. I paid full price ($60) for what I thought was a finished and good product. I was wrong. It is not finished, and it is not as good as I hoped. I have to pay more money to finish it, but I will not do it. All of their business decisions are fueled by pure greed for money at this point.
    Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this game. If you are a fan of ME1 and ME2, then buy the game later. Wait for it to be $20 which won't be long. I bet that it will be $20 by this summer. You shouldn't buy the DLCs either because you don't want to reward and encourage Bioware for their unethical, greedy business practices. Bioware has basically given the middle finger to all loyal fans, and it is laughing all the way to the bank. I know the last few sentences seems really negative, but it is true. How can you not feel shafted by the game's ending and Bioware's business practices?
  35. Mar 19, 2012
    The last 15 minutes destroys the game and the entire franchise. The end contradicts the entire series and makes any future DLC irrelevant. It's far better to just pretend the mass effect series ended at ME 2.
  36. Mar 19, 2012
    This should have been the crown jewel in the ME trilogy, 90% of the game play was great, but the ending stinks on ice. I also think that Miranda should have had a greater role in the game, been a member on the crew. I find the idea of her and Ash sharing a room to be comic gold. Bioware needs to improve the ending and give us what was promised, an ending where our choices make an impact. Not one where everything essentually blows up and nothing makes sense. This also needs to be a free DLC, I paid for the whole game, I have no objections to paying for extras, thats why I bought the CE, but to pay extra for the 'true' ending would add insult to injury Expand
  37. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Huge Mass effect fan. Took five days off of work to play Mass Effect 3. Great game until the last ten minutes of the game. Where the story does. Complete 180 and your choices don't matter. Ruins the whole build up of the series. Expand
  38. Mar 19, 2012
    While I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 and would recommend it for people to try out, the ending was a crushing blow to the face: none of my decisions mattered, nothing was explained, all the endings were virtually identical, Bioware used a "in your face, deus ex machina" to wrap it all up. The ending did not stay true to the game, the trilogy or the fans. Worst of all, the ending ruins any replayability for most fans. Of course there were several positive things to the game, but since many are considered spoilers I will not be posting them. It's painful for me to do this, but since the ending is truly all that stays with you (and not in a good way) I must give this game a negative rating. Expand
  39. Mar 19, 2012
    The ending... is all I have to say . I have to wonder what went through their minds when making this. Did they not learn from DA2? Nope of course not because in the end when you have space magic and money who cares about the customer reaction. Very sad to see the ending of the trilogy come to this.
  40. Mar 19, 2012
    It's sad to see this great game end this way. The ending, or rather lack of one, is appalling. Absolutely none of the decisions you've made in the game, or in ME1/ME2 make any difference, and the end result is always the same just with different color, it leaves you with a feeling never wanting to touch Mass Effect again. The end of the game offers no closure or what's even worse doesn't make sense at all Expand
  41. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a revamped version of ME2 combat and nothing more. Virtually none of the choices made in ME1 or ME2 are taken into account, and a fresh ME3 characters game experience is nearly identical. Plots holes and generally a lack of vision with the 3 possible endings make any invested effort a waste of time. If I had to sum the game up I would say "lazy" is about right, with a dash of "the ILLUSION of choice", since you don't actually impact the plot with your choices. The sheer number of public domain images you can google (or find on getty images) that are used in the game are shocking (is it really so hard to draw your own picture of an alien for Tali, or use some of the great user images out there? Rather than use a getty images, barely photoshop'ed picture of a human?).

The gameplay was fun. The multiplayer was the most enjoyable aspect for me. Story wise, this is not a "Bioware" game as we remember the golden era of quality Bioware games. It's just not the same company anymore. Mass Effect 2.5 is worth a rent, at best.
  42. Mar 19, 2012
    How do you train-wreck a great game and series, 100+ hours of solid story, character development, and gameplay in the span of half an hour? There were so many positives about Mass Effect 3 that are completely overshadowed by the ending. It leaves me wondering why I bothered to go back and play 1&2 again making sure I had all the choices I wanted right when at the end, it didn't really matter. Maybe there is some point being made about the inescapability of destiny, but it feels tacked on. Maybe Bioware had a sudden religious awakening and decided they needed to hammer the idea home with all the subtly of a Krogan battle-master. Whatever the case, the last half hour of Mass Effect 3 comes out of nowhere, ignores all previous choices, and fails to resolve the character's stories. Plus it just doesn't make any godamn sense. A real shame to see a series I was so fond of for five years suddenly fall apart so utterly. Even if Bioware does release a DLC "fix" I'm not sure how much I'd want it. This was a stain on their reputation and while a fix might ease the pain a bit, so does Astroglide. Expand
  43. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that I was most excited for this year but unfortunately there is a lot of elements that ruins the experience, the game seems to be struggling with a identity crisis is it an rpg or a third person shooter with rpg elements ? The first problem with this game is for those who played the first two games and try to import their characters from the previous games at the time of writing this review an issue prevents the game from importing the appearance of your character every other things are imported like who you saved in me 1 and 2 these decisions have and impact depending on who you saved and some decisions you made earlier games have small impact.

They seem to have focused more on combat and while the combat is fluid and have the gears of war cover system they seem to have forgotten some of the rpg elements. The quest system is really strange every main quest is tracked and easily managed but the secondary quests have no tracking and require you too search around blind, and if you complete one part of the objective you will have to return deliver and then search for the person/alien to deliver said item to.

Customization is also limited the only armor you can take of your helmet is the N7 armor which is the default armor you begin with.

Weapons are probably the the things that you can customize the most by upgrading barrels magazines etc etc.

That being said most people play this for the story and it´s pretty good up to a certain point, you will reunite with many familiar faces that will help you against the reapers.
    Lot´s of great dialog that makes the characters that we all know and love come to life.

But I can´t neglect to mention what everyone is talking about the endings.
    The game does an incredible job of moving story forward but in the last five minutes the story suddenly takes a strange turn and falls flat, there is not any real choice in the matter there are six endings almost identical. In these last few minutes the game introduces a character that was never in the game earlier and this character is well on his way now on becoming a meme on the web the Jar Jar of video games if you will.

And the endings is so out of touch with the rest of the story in the game that it actually makes every choices you made in the earlier games seem irrelevant, this is the game biggest weakness and it destroys any replay value since I personally did not feel that I wanted play again because the ending was just too depressing. The plot simply stops making sense the last five minutes and this should not ruin the experience over what is a pretty good game, it should not but it does because it makes the entire journey seem pointless.
    The endings sequence basically tells you that none of your decisions really matter and you have to choose between option a, b or c and they are with minor differences almost identical endings with different colored explosions (reloaded and tried every option) and you just feel empty after the end which is to say the least not what I expected
    It´s incredible how gutted I felt after that ending I had to take a break from gaming entirely and finally could start reviewing other games after a few days.

And the sad thing is that 99,9% of this game is good the 0.1% really ruins what is over all a great experience.
  44. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was the first game I played where the ending ruined the experience of the entire series for me. I've had it happen with television series to a lesser extent such as Lost and Battlestar Gallactica, but the ending to this game goes counter to the entire message of the Mass Effect games before. It's soured me on the entire IP. When developers such as Bungie and Epic can end their respective sci-fi trilogies of Halo and Gears of War with actual closure and can better convey the theme of great sacrifice for the sake of tomorrow than the critically acclaimed storytellers at Bioware, something is seriously off. Expand
  45. Mar 20, 2012
    This isn't the player's adventure anymore. Although there is much complaint about the ending deviating from your choices (which it certainly does), that is really a consistent problem throughout the story. If you lost a character in the last two games, he is simply replaced by a similar stock character, who performs their task just as well with no repercussions other than some slightly varied dialogue.

The ending is such a disgrace, and it so well known to be so, I feel it a waste of time to elaborate upon that.
  46. Mar 20, 2012
    Worst ending to a series ever. Thanks for making none of my choices made in any of the 3 games ultimately matter. What the hell was the point either saving/destroying the collector base anyway? Oh, that's right....there was none. You know what else? What happened to the expansive dialog wheel, or even FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Why does everyone on the game look like they are made of wax? Epic fail. Bioware has now permanently lost a customer with this mess-up. I don't say this just because of how Mass Effect 3 turned out, I say this because they have been consistently releasing ****ty games in the past few years. I guess this is what happens when you sign on to the EA team. R.I.P Bioware. Expand
  47. Mar 20, 2012
    I have been a die hard ME fan from day one, having spent countless 100s of hours playing through nearly every class, every side mission, exploring all romances, seeing every world, and painstakingly making every choice in the anticipation of how it all would come together right now. Sadly, I share the feeling of disappointment expressed by many of my fellow gamers. ME has become a shell of what it once was. Instead of getting an in depth story with interesting characters and relationships that I care about and the feeling that every decision, both big and small, would play a part in the shape of this world, I got a straight forward action game with little depth and characters who I don't know or care about(e.g. James, Kai Leng). Every mission from beginning to end consists of your goal to gain war assets and at some point someone dies or nearly dies. Which was emotional at first, but once you realize it's happening every time it losses its affect. There is also a clear de-emphasis on everything besides the main action, you can't do a side missions until their location is unlocked through progressing in the story. Side missions consist of over hearing conversations and going to seek out what they were talking about by scanning a planet or finding it during the main quest. If the item is passed over during the main quest, though, it can be purchased cheaply later on. The other side missions have replaced the scanning/resource mini game from ME2. It is poorly executed on several phases. Before you can scan a particular planet you have to ping it, which isn't a problem unless there are reapers in the neighborhood. In which case, if you can't find it in the first few tries the reapers chase you out of the system and you have to wait before you can come back and try again. Once you ping the correct planet you have the option to scan the planet, the same as scanning planets in ME2. This is a waste of time since there is only one spot and it points you right to it and about 90% of the time it is on the opposite side of the planet. There are also no updates added to your codex or galaxy map as you attain your side mission or the items associated with them, so you will be flipping to your codex before you go to your galaxy map to find which system and planet you need to travel to, and when you find the item for the mission you'll need to either complete it immediately or have a way to remember you recovered it, otherwise there's nothing to say not to go back. The reward for completing the missions is gaining war assets which along with completing multiplayer missions affects your total readiness for the final Reaper assault. In actuality, doing these have little affect on the ending of the game, which as many have already stated is very poor. All other mini games/puzzles have been removed. There is also lack of subtlety/emphasis in your relationships with everyone around you. Very early on in the story you are either given the option or it is blatantly obvious that a particular person is going to be a romance option, and other than that, with a few exceptions (mostly Garrus and Tali), they have nothing particularly interesting to say. Multiplayer consists of a horde mode which can provide a diversion from the main story but doesn't add anything particular interesting. Biggest gripe is the randomness of unlocking new weapons/characters/perks instead of letting me use my credits to choose how I would prefer to play. The combat mechanics and graphics, aside from the ridiculous "enhanced" character models, are the best of the series, but the de-evolution of the series, the feeling of being mislead (e.g. choices affecting the game, being able to get the best ending without playing multiplayer), and the sense that a money grab played a huge part the final product (they even message they give after beating the game is more or less an urge to buy dlc) felt like a slap in the face. I understand the need to make money but not to the extent compromising the essence of something that millions of people have come to love. Expand
  48. Mar 20, 2012
    As a longtime fan of the Mass Effect series it is painful for me to give this game such a low rating. The fact is that while the majority of the game is very good, though not without its shortcomings, the finale of Mass Effect 3 is atrocious; riddled with plot-holes and contradictions, vague, unsatisfying, non-sensical, and ultimately left me feeling bitter and empty.

The most obvious
    strength of ME3, like previous installments, is its characters. The voice actors bring them to life masterfully (if of course you ignore the shameless inclusion of a certain IGN personality), and they are rounded and interesting enough to make you genuinely care about them. The story is fairly simple, but easy to follow, and grand in its scope; after discovering the plans for an ultimate weapon, you must rally the races of the galaxy, resolve long-standing grudges, and bring them together to combat the Reapers while this weapon is constructed. There are some exciting, cinematic moments, and it is very satisfying to see events and characters from the previous games melded into the narrative, even if some of these are only token, or cameo, appearances. The combat is very similar to ME2, with various tweaks that improve the system. It's much more challenging this time around, and I found myself constantly experimenting with my load-outs right up until the final moments.

The quest system is very poorly implemented. Many scanning side quests will be heaped on you just by overhearing conversations as you walk through the Citadel, and there is no way to track your progress. With the lack of any real context, it makes the side quests rather tedious. There are also very few characters available as squadmates, when compared to the previous games. Two of which are only available about half way through the game, and another only if you buy the From Ashes DLC. Generally, I couldn't help but feel that many elements of this game were clumsily put together, but it all seems to work nonetheless.

These gripes, however, are irrelevant when held against the ending. What truly makes it such a travesty, aside from all the ridiculous lapses in logic that the ending is rife with, (and all the lies it now seems we were told by Bioware prior to release), is that it totally overshadows and negates the many positive aspects of the series that have come before it. All the characters you've come to care about, all the relationships you've built, all the hard choices and sacrifices you've had to make, and all the problems you've solved, ultimately all mean nothing. This is the reason for such a low-scored review, and the reason why so many others are doing likewise; the aspects that made Mass Effect great are all scrapped and tarnished in the final hour in favour of a pseudo-philosophical, nihilistic, non-sensical conclusion. Bioware even have the audacity to leave you a little message after the credits role telling you to buy more DLC. Disgusting.

The 30 hours of enjoyment you'll get from most of the game are not enough to justify the final emptiness it will leave you with. It is simply not worth it.
  49. Mar 20, 2012
    Up until the ending, this game is an 8.5, due to a myriad a minor issues like too much auto-dialogue, a worthless journal, some gameplay issues and a weak intro. It's ruined by the ending, which really is as bad as you've heard. It's 5 minutes pretentious, non-nonsensical garbage masquerading as avant-garde, postmodernist Cosmicism that negates all the decisions you've made, forces Shepard to speak and act out of character to enact one of several virtually identical and equally ridiculous endings. It offers no explanation, no closure, no sense of accomplishment, no epilogue and makes absolutely no sense. All it does is leave the player feeling betrayed and robbed.
    I can't believe this ending was created by the brilliant writers of the first two games. Oh wait, that's because it's not: those writers write for The Old Republic now. It's not enough that you're expected to pay for day one DLC, if you want decent writing you have to pay a monthly fee for their MMO. I blame EA.
  50. Mar 20, 2012
    No improvement on Mass Effect 2. Just a re-hash of the last game. The mission system is terrible. You have no idea what stage you are at in the missions or where to go. The side quest are, again, re-hashes of the online multi-player.

Some of the aspects of furthering the story are quite good up to a point. Then the game has the most stupid, uneducated, simplistic, disappointing ending I
    have ever seen in a game. It takes no account of the lore of the game, makes no sense, would result in everyone being stranded and most of the systems being destroyed along with everyone that you were trying to save, and your choices make no difference to the ending of the game. Even though its an A,B,C ending, they are all pretty much identical!

Bio Ware used to be great, but now they seem to have a knack at ruining their games (look at Dragon Age 2). EA are probably to blame.

The whole game was also very buggy. At one point I had 2 Edi's, Tali died and then came back from the dead in a love seen??? and doors would randomly take an age to open. Sometimes powers and squad commands did not work! To sum up, the entire game felt rushed, was buggy, and had a generic ending that made no sense. Very disappointing.
  51. Mar 21, 2012
    Simply not worth 60 euros. I would have expected this kind of experience from some smaller and less established publisher - not Bioware. The game was in overall balless and shallow. I didn't mind the ending (although it sucked) but the fact that there were so few really good scenes in this play.
  52. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First disappointment was that I could not import my Shepard's face that I customized with ME1. Then game was rather good, even if there seem to be less dialog choices than ME1 or even ME2. Graphics were ok. What really pissed me off is the nonsensical endings that basically destroyed everything my Shepard did in the rest of the game. All his choices were basically ignored. It's like the story committed suicide. Its been several days and I'm so depressed by the ending that I don't want to play anymore. Not only that, but the endings appear rushed and the explanations just don't hold up... destroying life to protect it? What a sham. Thank-you Bioware. I'll remember your products. Expand
  53. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a huge fan of the series; it was and is a fun, largely open, mostly RPG game that let you watch characters evolve in a galactic landscape over several fun, exploratory adventures. For me at least, part of the fun was the replayability. As you made different decisions, the ending of the game subtly changed; mostly to the point of how easy or difficult the ending was.

This game, though, failed to meet the hype associated with it. Mass Effect 2 set up the promise of Mass Effect 3. In ME2, the characters that survived (both main party and secondary) had everything to do with the amount of effort you put into the game. That sets up the promise of ME3, to do the same but on a larger scale. Unfortunately, by the time you get to the end, you end up with a game that's closer to the linear Mass Effect 1 ending. Your decisions, in the last ten minutes, don't really have much effect on the outcome. Even the animations for the ending are identical (except for the color). Now, this wouldn't be a big deal, except that the promise/premise of the entire series has been creating your own moment at the end. Having said all that, though, the ending itself (even having similar ones) isn't that big of a deal. What is a big deal are all the strange inconsistencies in the last part of the game. Squad members who die (or were implied to die) suddenly reappear. Your ship, engaged in battle one moment, is suddenly running from a destructive beam that strands it on a strange planet. The lead character suddenly loses their will to argue, without making note of it, in the last few minutes. I was willing to forgive the glitches in the game. The unfinished, sometimes reused sprites. The overuse of stock photos. The lack of depth in the game. The problems with importing custom lead characters; if you had a custom face for the character, it will likely break when you try to import it.

I think this game is made mostly for people looking not for an epic RPG, but maybe more of a simple version of Halo style space combat. If that's what you want, just to shoot things in space, then this is probably a good title. You can ignore the story, play multiplayer, and marvel at the backgrounds.

If, however, you're looking for a satisfying story-based RPG, then this game isn't it. Not really.

Which leaves me, a former fan, feeling kind of, "meh," about the whole experience. That's probably on purpose; EA loves third person shooters. They're much easier to develop and work on than expansive, multi title RPGs, I'd wager.

SPOILER - look for yourself. The animations are the same
  54. Mar 20, 2012
    The ending completely killed the entire series for me. It wasn't thought provoking or deep at all, it was lazy writing and a rushed effort that I was very unsatisfied with.
  55. Mar 20, 2012
    First of all i want to say that this game is MOSTLY good. It's the ending that ruins it. I'll explain why the ending ruins the game without spoiling anything. Mass Effect series has been a game all about choice. The choices you pick will have negative or positive impacts. In the final scheme of things, these choices do not have any reflection on the end. Basically, the ending is always the same (minus your favorite color choice of explosions. No im not kidding, its exactly as it sounds). The ending of this game will make you feel like everything you did was for nothing. It brings no closure, and is riddled with plotholes.

Playing a 60+ hour RPG should give you a satisfied ending, whether its happy or sad. This game undoes everything you did and makes it feel like it was all for nothing. I love mass effect, but these endings are non-sensical, and not poetic. Not only do the endings make you feel like you just wasted your time, but they also do not make any sense by going against the games logic, set forth in the previous games and in ME3 itself. It feels like a rush job and sloppy writing.

I strongly advise you to not listen to what naysayers who speak of "Mass Effect 3 being a work of art" say. If you ask any of them why they like the game, they can't give you a straight answer other than them being Bioware fans. I love bioware, but when someone takes advantage of you as a consumer, you have to call them out on it. And anyone reading this, i am TRYING to protect you as a consumer and not as a troll. DO NOT waste your time with this game. If it wernt for the ending, i would say play it. But unless Bioware does something to make the endings feel more worth it. Just avoid this series.
  56. Mar 20, 2012
    The ending destroyed series. I can't even explain how horrible it was, but I recommend that before purchasing the game you read some of these other reviews as well as going over to the Social BioWare forums to see how upset people are over it. The ending wasn't art, it was blatantly bad writing and rushed production. If you love the ME universe, DON'T buy this game.
  57. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played Mass Effect since it first came out. I eagerly awaited Mass Effect 2, ordered books, the collector's edition, even the Prima guide. I've replayed it more times than I can count When Mass Effect 3 was announced, I was ecstatic. I rushed to secure a collector's edition, and by the time March 6th came around I was ready to hole myself in my basement and play til I finished. And I do love BioWare. Because of Mass Effect, I bought Dragon Age and KOTOR. I applaud them for all their brilliance in the past, but I strongly believe they stumbled at the finish line for Mass Effect.

99% of the game was perfection. I had chills down my spine during the Fall of Thessia, I shed a tear when Mordin and Thane sacrificed themselves. It was such an emotionally gripping game. However, the final 5 minutes is what ruined everything. Casey Hudson promised us that our choices would matter. How do they matter in a simple choice: red, green, or blue explosion? He promised us 16 DIFFERENT endings. The entire series was about choice and consequence. It was about weighing options and making moral decisions. All of this was completely nullified by the introduction of a God Child and the whole Stargazer debacle. The ending is so full of plot holes - why is Joker running away from a fight? Why did my squadmates mysteriously disappear then reappear on the Normandy? How did Anderson get ahead of Shepard when he said he got into the beam after him? How did Hackett know it was Shepard when the chatter says that no one made it to the beam? I personally believe the indoctrination theory, but it becomes difficult to believe when BioWare remains silent. If tanking the metacritic scores, making noise, and banding together is what it takes for BioWare to notice and make a change, then I'm all in. Hold the line.
  58. Mar 20, 2012
    If you are here trying to decide if you want to buy this game, then do yourself a favor. Honestly, any review you see that gives this game a 10 and calls it perfection, ignore. That's not realistic. Likewise, any review that says it's utter garbage and a 0, ignore. It to is not driven by reality. The rating system is not complex enough here for me to give a visual score so I will put it here. Assume the game takes 30hours to beat. If I were to score the first 29hrs and 50mins this game would easily get an 7-8. If I curb my desire to have more RPG elements that were closer to the first ME then I could easily give it an 8-9. In a nutshell, the majority of players are going to love those first 29hrs and 50mins. It's a wild and at times emotional ride full of action and loss. The graphics aren't ground breaking, but they are more than enough to carry this game and convey the enormity of it all. The final battle is epic in scale and amazing even if I wanted to see so much more of it and all of those assets that I put into place during the game.

That said, the final 10mins completely undoes everything that comes before it and that the franchise stands for. You go from being an active participant in the story of -your- Commander Shepard to a bystander. In those ten minutes, they undo almost every important fact that they disclosed and you realize that all of those huge and small decisions you made over 3 games and 5 years brings you to the exact same place as everyone else who played with only very small variations to the same exact ending. And in the process, they have ruined the entire franchise for me. For that, the ending gets a 0.

Combined, I can't give ME3 more than a 4 even if it hurts my heart. Some are going to say that giving the ending a 0 is ridiculous, but let me ask you this. Ignoring the plot holes, inconsistencies, spurious and circular logic and the rest; does it seem right that I take my "Everyone Lives/Super Paragon Blew Up The Collector Base" ending ME2 Shepard into ME3 and my friend takes his "Man I screwed up and almost every squad member died and I handed over the Collector Base" joke ME2 Shepard and we both get the exact same ending without variation? For a franchise like ME, that's a completely broken end system and doesn't deserve a good or even mediocre score.
  59. Mar 20, 2012
    This game does everything important right. Mass effect still stands as one of the best series of this gaming generation. you could look past all the minor flaws. That was, until the ending. The ending manages to undo and/or invalidate essentially everything that shepard does throughout not just ME3, but the other two games as well. It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth that nothing can wash off.

I loved it. Then there was the ending....
  60. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those who thinks the endings make sense are either high or being paid by EA/Bioware to thinking that the ending makes sense. I for one experience such a confusing ending for example on my final push to the port to the Citadel, I had Ashley and Garrus with me then in the ending CGI, Ashley shows up in a planet that the Normandy crashed in without getting scratched by Harbringer's beam. What kind of bad writing is that?

Such a shame for such a great franchise. The ending just negates all what was good in Mass Effect 3. The ending felt like it was rushed to make deadlines as it did not follow what Mass Effect is all about. The game is about choices you make affecting the outcome. No matter what the choices you make in-game and in the previous installments did not matter at all. Its the same ending with 5% variation.
  61. Zuk
    Mar 20, 2012
    This game was on the verge of being the Sci-Fi epic of our generation - in the form of a video game trilogy! But, alas, BioWare got butterfingers less than 10 minutes from the conclusion. Rather than giving all of our hard work, all of the many stories told, and most of all a great damn hero in Commander Shepard a REAL send off? The type that they deserved? What happened?

On top of that,
    the ending ruined the Reapers as well! They went from truly terrifying and powerful cosmic horrors from beyond the Galaxy to the pets of a nonsensical "god child"! All that talk by Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 and they ended up being nothing but tools.

On top of that, the ruining did just what it was promised not to do: gave us an "A, B, C" style ending which in no way took account for all of the story threads we had loomed together.

At some point, BioWare's writers simply dropped the ball.
  62. Mar 20, 2012
    The game was really good until the last 5 minutes of the game. It's really a shame that the ending ruins the entire franchise. Absolute disappointment.
  63. Mar 20, 2012
    A complete departure from the spirit of the series in that there's no impact from your prior decisions on the ending. There are a few great scenes; but overall, it's a travesty.
  64. Mar 20, 2012
    I have been a huge fan of the entire Mass Effect trilogy. Most of ME3 carries on the trend, allowing the player to continue identifying with Commander Shepard...until the ending. Unfortunately, all decisions, choices, actions, and events leading up to the finale have no impact on the ultimate end. In addition, though Bioware specifically stated there would be "wildly different endings" and that the multiplayer would be completely non-obligatory, those statements are false. The multiplayer is essential to gain significant war assets required for the "best" (same ending, slightly different final scene), and the "wildly different endings" is one ending with three different colored explosions that all do the same exact thing with the same exact result.

#RetakeMassEffect

Hold the Line.
  65. Mar 20, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. I really tried to forgive the ending. But once I stopped making excuses and stopped leaning on the last two games,I came to accept that I truly hated the game as a whole and wish i hadn't played it.
  66. Mar 21, 2012
    Imagine you started reading a "Choose your own adventure" series of books. Then imagine you spent $180 dollars and invested over 100+ hours into the books. Imagine that you had serious decisions to make about things such as who lives and who dies in your story. Imagine that these books were very well written and full of unique encounters and situations. Then imagine no matter what decisions you made, every storyline ended the same way with a last second twist that you didn't really even care about and contradicted all the decisions you had made previously. Would you recommend these books? Would you go back and reread the books and make different decisions knowing you were going to dislike the ending and your decisions didn't matter? That's the dilemma with Mass Effect 3. It is like reading a good book/trilogy, only to find out the author didn't know how to handle all the different possibilities and ended up with one crappy ending. Expand
  67. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, there are plot-holes galore. Huge gaping plot-holes. Squad mates who were with you on Earth magically appearing back on the Normandy. Joker randomly deciding to flee before the Crucible even goes off. Anderson saying he's behind you then magically appearing in the room ahead of you. The Illusive Man appearing on the Citadel with no explanation. Etc.

Secondly, there is a complete lack of choice as to how the game ends. Nothing you've done in the previous 120 hours has any bearing on the options available to you in the end. Nothing. Your choices did not matter at all. No matter what you did you are offered three choices as to how to finish off the Reapers. They sound different, but the only difference between the three endings is that you get to watch a different colored explosion. Really, that's it. In a series that was all about real choices with real consequences this is completely unacceptable.

Thirdly, you get no sense of closure. You watch the Reaper attack end, the Mass Relays blow up, the Normandy crash land on a planet, and possibly Shepard draw a breath, proving that he lives. Roll credits. What? Are you kidding me? Is my crew just going to die on that planet? Will Shepard ever see his love interest again? What will happen to Galactic civilization without the Mass Relays? Are all the peaces I brokered between the different races meaningless now that they're never going to see each other again? (In this way choices you made hours ago are completely negated.) What about that giant fleet that gathered at earth and is now stuck there? Are they just going to starve to death? I have no idea what the future holds for all the characters I've come to care so much about.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, the ending goes completely against everything the rest of the series has stood for. For three games Shepard has been running around trying to convince everyone to work together against a common enemy. He has forged deep friendships with members of every species and solved centuries old conflicts (including, importantly, that between the Geth and the Quarians). They drive home the point that the Protheans were doomed by their homogeneity and that this cycle has a better chance because it consists of diverse races working together. Peaceful coexistence and cooperation are encouraged again and again and again.

Then Shepard reaches the the Crucible and the Starchild says that war between synthetics and organics is inevitable. You have three choices for how to deal with this: genocide (kill all synthetics, including friendly ones, [red]), slavery (take control of the Reapers, [blue]), homogenization (merge all synthetic and organic life [green]). Shepard responds by fighting back and saying that there must be another way. His presence there is proof that cooperation is possible. He demands another solution that doesn't involve destroying the Mass Relays or synthetic allies like EDI and the Geth. Oh wait, that's not what he does at all. HE JUST GOES ALONG WITH IT AND PICKS ONE OF THE THREE AWFUL CHOICES. Are you @#$*ing kidding me Bioware? After all that Shepard just abandons everything he believes in without a fight and picks a color coded ending? This is about as believable as your whole crew suddenly turning into cowards and running away before the fight ends.

Finally, the (only) ending is incredibly negative and depressing. If you want to say that I'm whiny and want an ending that's full of rainbows and unicorns and ice cream, fine, but hear me out. First consider how bleak the existing ending really is. The Mass Relays are gone. The civilization that you've come to know is torn apart completely. All the races you've just united really aren't going to interact anymore. The giant fleet hanging over the smoking ruin that was earth has no way to get home. Are they just going to starve to death? Where the hell is your squad? Will they ever get off that jungle planet? Are Tali and Garrus just going to starve to death (they can't eat the same food as us, remember)? We're left with small numbers of survivors cut off from each other on ruined planets. Call me crazy, but I don't think this is much better than letting the damn Reapers win.

I don't object to the fact that this ending is possible. I object to the fact that its the only ending possible. As I've said, choice is a huge part of this series. If you did things a certain way in ME 1 you could convince the final boss to shoot himself in the head. If you were adequately prepared in ME 2 you could have a 100% survival rate on a "suicide mission." If I've been a solid paragon and completed every side mission for three games straight (which I did) I want the possibility of a happy ending. Screw this "the hero has to die" nonsense. This is Mass Effect! The hero doesn't "have to" anything! I want endings that differ in respects other than color of explosions, and I want at least one of them to be somewhat happy.
  68. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shoddy controls? Check. Dialogue that was written by a Neanderthal? Check. Graphics that would make 2009 blush? Check. Disk locked content that doesn't add jack **** to the experience? Check. An ending that breaks all promises made by the developers, shoddily closes Shepard's story arc, and only gives you a choose between what color explosion you get at the end? Check, check, and DOUBLE **** CHECK! Do not buy, do not borrow, do not even pirate, it is not worth the hard drive space Expand
  69. Mar 21, 2012
    The game was perfect... until the last 10 minutes. The combat was awesome, the set pieces were great, war was burning the galaxy. Shepard's decisions were supposed to doom or save the galaxy. Fast forward to the end: you only get 3 endings, the endings have huge plot holes, and turn off the game with immense rage. This game's ending is an abomination compared to the rest of the series (including the rest of ME3). The ending is so bad that I still have to give a score of 2. Expand
  70. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played all three games and this one made them all turn bitter and useless. The first one gave me true exploration and an uncharted galaxy in which I had full control and repercussions for my actions. Real effects and sacrifices. I was in full control of every aspect of my character, his weapons, class, armor, decisions, even right down to his face. In essence I had become Shepard, I saw me in the game. In the second one I further saw the repercussions of my actions, the good and the bad. Though I noticed that a lot of the independence found in the first was gone and replaced with more linear missions, less exploration and open-world type missions. But we did gain impressive battles and a much stronger foe, and my squad mates depended on my choices. While I missed the old style, I readily embraced the new with its flaws. Then we get to the third, the "ending we deserve". From the get go, the bugs are obvious, the loading screen takes forever and the game freezes randomly during exploration sections. Conversations are painfully linear without much options for a more in depth dialogue, and the paragon renegade choices are quite obvious and don't really present much of a moral challenge anymore during basic game-play save for a few occasions. The Kinect option was over-hyped and not nearly as much fun as you would think. On a positive note the enemies are challenging, exciting, and be quite formidable lending this game some respect in that area, and the scenery is spectacular. Being able to see many of the home worlds was a great decision. But the story line becomes confusing at times, many characters show up without introduction which were never seen in the basic games, only in the dlc. Kai Leng being the most annoying of all of them. But even this was forgivable once I saw the fleet reach earth and full on assault the reapers. In my opinion it was the most awe inspiring battle I have ever seen in either movies or games. Seeing so much at stake, and understanding the emotion of the moment, how all three games had worked toward this. It was momentous. The assault on London furthered the fight, bringing my Shepard ever closer to the heart of the enemy. The increasing attacks, the stress, it was brilliant. Then the suicide charge to the beam. The brush of death, and then the crawl to the beam to fulfill your destiny. It was a story of a legend! It was genius! And then silence, you hobble up to the platform to meet TIM and Anderson. You defeat TIM and open the citadel arms and you sit back with Anderson, both of you barely alive but victorious...and then they decide to destroy everything you ever fought for in the next 15 minutes! The crucible was just a ploy! A scam! Up comes Mister AI/god/starchild/*sshole who decides to tell you the real story which can be boiled down to just plain racism and genocide. The smartest sentient life in the galaxy wasn't much for logic, no debate, no discussion, just pick a color and die. He gives you some bs story and expects you to eat it all up with no questions. Then no matter what decision you choose, the galaxy is destroyed, Shepard dies. Then to top it all off your crew leaves you for dead and act like they don't give a damn about what you just did. This was my ending? All my resources, choices, actions, and friendships boiled down to a color and galactic destruction in every option? How can I not be upset and feel scammed. Even at the end Shepard speaks of hope being the driving mechanism of life, which the catalyst shoots down as pathetic and useless. Why did Bioware do this? To teach me a life lesson that no matter what we all still fail? life is pointless?that I should never pre-order a game ever again? Seriously, nobody thought this was a bad idea? Expand
  71. Mar 21, 2012
    pathetic ending to a great franchise. i loved all the games and played all of them. spent countless hours keeping my self updated on this franchise. but in the end they give us the worst ending in gaming history
  72. Mar 21, 2012
    In a vacuum, this game doesn't suck. Objectively, it was the weakest of the 3 and that is why it deserves the low rating. Therefore in context, this was just not a good game. Likely you already know the ending was so bad that it overshadowed so much of the rest of it. In an RPG, the story is kind of important to the overall enjoyment of the game. Part of the problem is that the story was so weighed down from the previous 2 games that it collapsed under the weight. Nothing was new. It was boring and predictable in quite a few places. Somehow planet scanning even got worse! Also, there were major flaws that mechanically drug it down also. I don't recall a single mini-game. It was just walking around pressing "A" button. Without giving anything away, the mechanic in the downtime makes Sheperd an eavesdropping weirdo. He just walked around like a creepy guardian angel. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun and the combat is better in someways, but on the whole, its just not as good as its predecessors. That is what I think bothers so many people. I pre-ordered the CE from amazon. Currently, I am torn about sending it back and just forgetting the whole thing ever happened. Swing and a miss. Expand
  73. Mar 21, 2012
    There was something disturbingly familiar about the ending before me. the three choices was all deus ex machina

"you're the reaper, shepard"

the truth split my skull open, a glaring green light
    washing the lies away.
    all of my past was just pointless choices, words hanging
    with no meaning.

i was the reaper

funny as hell, it was the most horrible ending i could think of.
  74. Mar 21, 2012
    Should be renamed No Effect. Felt like a waste of time afterwards. Gameplay is just okay. Mass effect isn't exactly known for its action gameplay. All it really has is story, and it was doing incredibly well with that up until this game. Only pickup if you don't care about how it will end.
  75. Mar 21, 2012
    I am a big fan of the series and even bought my first 360 to play the original on release. I have had some minor complaints about the series on the way but I never voiced them as they were minor inconsistencies and things that didn't really matter. However, the last 10 minutes of this game ruin the experience as a whole for me. It even makes playing the previous installments of the game painful, know that no matter what you do, you will be pigeonholed into three, essentially identical and equally lame endings. If not for the ending this game would be at the very top of my list of favorite games. Expand
  76. AGX
    Mar 22, 2012
    Agree with a lot of people on this game. Pretty epic, yer seemingly lacking the content and depth of the previous games in the series. What really got me upset was the rush job of an ending though. For all the decisions you made throughout the series, and the numerous endings that BioWare had promised and used as a selling point, when they promised these uncountable heap of ending they were blatantly lying which really upset me. They also won't own up to there lies either, and deflect constructive criticism. This game was overall a disappoint to me, and I won't trust BioWare as I used to until I read a numerous amount of user reviews. No BS critic reviews that paid off critics write.

Buyer beware. Enjoy the first two games, and somewhat enjoy the Mass Effect 3 storyline, but hold off on completing the game until we are promised a legitimate ending.
  77. Mar 22, 2012
    For me, plot is everything that makes a game. You can shoot aliens or people in just about any game. Once you've played one FPS or RPG and you learn the mechanics, they only very slightly from game to game. The biggest differentiation between games is the plot, the characters, and their story. These things are responsible for drawing the gamer in and making them care. For the plot to go so terribly wrong in the final minutes is mind blowing. Through this trilogy the plot was masterfully crafted, like a fine wine. I never noticed a single plot-hole until the last five to ten minutes of this game. The ending robed this series of everything I was led to believe it stood for, violates canon, presents flawed logic, and introduces inexplicable situations and plot-holes. It is hard for me to understand how the plot could be so finely crafted for one hundred plus hours, only to be spoiled in the final five to ten minutes of the final game of this trilogy. Furthermore, it's as if they cut the story off at its climax. There are no signs of denouement to be found for the main plot. As such, this game fails to deliver on the developer's promise that this game would wrap up the main plot and answer many remaining questions. I sincerely hope that this was not an intentional ploy to sell DLC. I hope that Bioware comes through on releasing a better ending, however, if they intend to sell it to me, I'm done. I would much rather they sell a complete game to me at $70, than to sell me an incomplete game for $60 and charge me $10 to properly complete the game. How underhanded and dishonest is that? I'd also rather they release the game months past its due date than release an incomplete game, but that is more tolerable. With plot being my sole purpose for buying and playing games, I cannot honestly rate my experience any higher. It is a shame considering I truly loved this series, until the final five to ten minutes of this game. Expand
  78. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great series and concluding story up until the last 10 minutes, disappointing enough to tarnish the rest of the series as well. What does the game do different than the previous titles? The action has even more fit and finish and is an absolute blast, some customization to weapons is given but a better variety of mods would have been welcomed. Voice acting is great (except for some odd journalist person out of nowhere with a nightmarish outfit) and the story will pluck your heartstrings. Quest tracking is awful, embarrassingly awful when you are unable to view your inventory for a quest item and the quest tracker provides no clue as to whether you've picked it up or not. This might no be an issue if you play this parts in large block of time but if you are taking frequent breaks between these side missions it is hard to keep track of that else you need to do before you return tot he hub. Also there is no announcement of time limited windows for completing side quests, I found out when I saw them disappear and forced me to load a previous save. To sum this up, the game is great, I would have appreciated more dialog conversations but it wasn't a deal breaking....until the end. I don't think this ending is sad, or depressing. It's just bad, cheapens the rest of the story and the universe the game is set in. If this is your first Mass Effect game I don't think the reaction will be as terrible, but if you've fallen in the love with the characters and story, beware. Expand
  79. Mar 23, 2012
    Terrible ending that ruin the whole game... The three ending cinematics are barely le the sames, only the colors are different... It's really a shame... Mass effect is dead with an ending like that.
  80. kN7
    Mar 23, 2012
    Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Me thinks EA has some critics in their pockets. Did these guys even play the previous games? Did they get finished copies of the game, or did their versions end before the whole Citadel-gate fiasco?
  81. Mar 23, 2012
    this is incredible!!! how can such a bad game get released? i hope someone get fired for it!!! it's incredible, i've never played a worst game in my life: the ending made no sense! what was the point of playing the two previous games if the choices don't matter anyway? it's awful! i hope bioware goes bankrupt!
  82. Mar 23, 2012
    And the series ends with an incoherent whimper: BioWare's MASS EFFECT 3 is a colossal let down. The final installment in the trilogy, it is a game plagued by small glitches, a broken journal system (where you're never quite sure where you need to go to fulfill your quest), auto-dialogue (as opposed to the branching dialogue choices of the first two games) and one hell of a laughable ending that sinks the whole mess. People act like the ending is some kind of "artistic statement", but the "Final Hours" app shows the game's lead writer and project director were unsure of how to end their game as late as November 2011 (when the game was supposed to come out). As a result, they stole the storyline from Matrix 2 & 3 and jammed it into the ending of ME3. Suddenly our choices don't matter, and the ending cinematics are both lazy and baffling.

This game is a red hot mess, and not at all what was promised by BioWare before release.
  83. Mar 24, 2012
    This game does not belong on the shelves of public video game stores. It might as well be half a disk, since the disk itself you'd be getting would have essentially the same amount of content and care put into it. For all I know, the game may be fantastic. It might. However, I'll never know as long as it's incomplete.
  84. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game did not deliver. this whole series as been about choices. the whole point of bringing a character from one to 3 and choice impacting the endings. the ending is a kick in the balls. 100 hours+ of gameplay for nothing. the pandered to the casual gamers. it has gone from an rpg to a flaky copy of gears of war with every mission being about suviving rounds of enemys. having invested so much time in this game i and thousands like me feel let down by bioware. ea has got there money grabbing hands all over this. DAY ONE DLC!! that actually is a big part of story. and this horde rip off multiplayer. im sorry but this is not mass effect. not by a long shot. bioware has lost alot of credabillty. dragon age 2 was bad enough now this. the cancer that is ea has spread further. simply put the ending ruins this game. 3 **** choices. where none of you descions in the last 2 games matters. none. red green or blue. and whats with this stupid kid. shepard seen 1000s of people blended in the collecter base. and one kid dying gets to him. there where kids ob the collecter base aswell. plus why is joker leaving in the mass relay. he wouldnt of been able. just leaving shepard to die. plus i brought ashley with me on the last mision. she was right behind me when i was running towards the beam. how did she survive and get to the normandy. plus no reaper forces on the citadel. really. too many holes in the ending. plus geth, turian,krogan,salarian all traped in the solar system with no relays. Expand
  85. Mar 25, 2012
    Poor ending ruins the whole franchise,because of it I am selling the Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 and am not prepared to buy any more games produced by Bioware and certainly not any type of "Bandaid" dlc that will try to cover up the poor, illogical and identical "3" endings provided by the third game.
  86. Mar 25, 2012
    While I did enjoy most of Mass Effect 3, there are several issues that I found quite disappointing and has left a severely bad after taste in my mouth. First of all, the move from even further away from its RPG roots. For example, the dumbing down of dialogue. The middle ground options seem to have just been completely removed, only providing you a top or bottom choice most of the time. Next, is the lack of exploration. The only place to go to talk to people, a RPG "city" as you will, is the Citadel. Other than that, its pretty much run and gun.

The other issue I had with it is the day 1 DLC. It is obvious this character was never meant to leave the game. He provides key story information about the previous cycle, why the markers exist, the reapers, and the fate of the Protheans.

My by far most unforgiving issue and biggest disappointment with the game are the endings. The last 10 minutes of the game introduce a brand new character, creates massive plot holes, provide zero closure to anything you've done, have no way to challenge the new end game character's ridiculously insane logic, and have each ending 98% the same as the others. In addition, no matter what choice you make throughout the entire saga, it will have no effect on the end sequence. You will not get any cut-scenes or any form of text explaining how your choices effected the galaxy or what happens to any of your squad mates. Every Shepard will receive the exact same set of endings regardless of what you do. The only factor that plays any roll on the ending is the "effective military strength". Overall, I found the endings to be so empty, depressingly unsatisfying, and poorly written that they have ruined the entire series. Being a long time Mass Effect fan since the first, I wanted to play from the beginning again, but after seeing and knowing what awaits me at the end of 3, I can't even look at it.

As I said in the beginning, I did still enjoy most of Mass Effect 3 and could look past its step back from its RPG roots still. Excluding the endings, rating it based soley off the journey up to the end point, i would give the game a 9/10. However, the endings are simply story telling suicide that are so bad they tarnish the entire series greatness. Due to that factor, I give the game overall a 2/10 for the amount of damage the endings do to the franchise along with the depressingly bad after taste it leaves.
  87. Mar 25, 2012
    Game is good until not only this game but the previous two installments are completely ruined.
    The Game ruins it and its predecessors with a fail ending that I cannot think of an ending that doesn't use the elements of the current ending that would be worse.
    Multiplayer is solid although won't be able to compete in the long run.
    Story is good until the end.
    Lack of Neutral option for chat
    is lame.
    Lack of Planet Exploration.
    Terrible quest tracker.
    I would give the game an 8 or 9 without the ending but seeing as the ending destroys two of the best games I have ever played this game deserves a 0.
  88. Mar 25, 2012
    Been a fan since the first article I read about mass effect 7 years ago. What a disappointment. ME3 has been dumbed down from the great rpg it was. I will agree that the combat is tight and smooth, but thats not the main reason why I chose to play it, even after I started to hear the ugly rumors. Had to find out for myself. "Official" reviews sing praise after praise, even while the fan base has spoken very loudly of their displeasure. I couldn't agree more, after playing through myself. I don't even want to go into what I thought about the ending. I honestly feel ripped off. Now I see bioware tap-dancing and trying to put a positive spin on a turd, while condemning people's criticisms. Chalk one up for EA. You got my 50 bucks and could care less. Expand
  89. Mar 26, 2012
    Save yourself the time and trouble of purchasing this god-awful travesty and simply hit yourself in the testicles. Repeatedly. This is the same feeling you will get as the end credits roll over this steaming pile of dog manure.
  90. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best games of the Mass Effect series, unfortunately the experience and memory of the poor ending of this game makes that all moot. Expand
  91. Mar 28, 2012
    I am so sorry, Bioware. I loved all of your games up to Dragon Age 2, which seemed to be where you started to mess up. I was also an avid fan of Mass Effect, but this game just destroys my faith. I tried to like it, I really did.
  92. Mar 29, 2012
    Let me preface this by saying that I was a long time fan of the series and of Bioware games in general; I played both ME1 and ME2 dozens of times over the years (no exaggeration!), and KOTOR until my eyes bled (ok, slight exaggeration; but not by much). So it really does pain me to give this game such a low score.

The short of it is: the game is rushed and incomplete. Corners were
    obviously cut all about, and it shows. Most notably in the classical RPG elements of story and exploration.

The long of it: in ME3 what you see is that Bioware/EA are quite obviously trying to appeal to the massive consumer base that loves shooter games. Great (and in a sense so was ME1). But the results are that a great deal of time seemed to have been spent copying shooter elements from other games, in an effort to create a fairly mediocre corridor shooter experience, with wonky controls. The glaring thing is what is gone with all this effort. Exploration. Astounding that a game that markets itself as as RPG has so little of it. There are limited hubs, much smaller than those in the previous installments, that provide little interaction for engaging with the world. NPC interaction is either highly scripted, as in, no the player doesn't choose what to say; or it just is a matter of eavesdropping on two people talking in order to get a quest that actually doesn't contain any gaming elements other than go here on the map and press a button. Old RPG standards like equipment and journal logs are streamlined to the point of being non-existent (the journal in particular is totally inept and incomplete; it doesn't update or provide you useful information on the quests - a real step down from the previous games).

Why? Well, because the game appears to be trying to force you into a linear narrative. In other words, the whole 'choose your own adventure' motif of the brand has taken a backseat for brief corridor shooting experiences punctuated by lengthy cut scenes with limited interaction. Think Gears of War, only worse (and that is saying something!). The plan to do this is so blatant that the game actually has options to switch it from an RPG to a straight story-shooter, right there on its opening screen.

What is most glaring in this rushed and incomplete experience is the real drop in story telling. Now it is no secret that Bioware was purchased by EA, and that some fans were concerned about how that would effect the culture of the company. But it also is no secret that the people writing this game are not the same ones who wrote the first. And it shows. Lore is forgotten, conversations seem forced, character development can be childish, etc. Its like they inherited a world to write and imagine in that they either didn't understand, or didn't care about. I'm not sure which is worse.

And don't get me started on that ending....

OK, DO get me started on that ending. It's here that the evidence of how quickly and with such little care the game was cobbled together is most glaring. Some people have complained that the ending lacks choice (true), and closure (also true), or is confusing (not so much; somebody apparently copied Deus Ex). But the most repugnant aspects of the ending are just how lazy it is. Reused cut scenes, short, simplified conversation options. The whole thing smacks of 'rush it out the door, we have a deadline!' And back to the writers not being the same crop or the same caliber, the ending also doesn't seem to be connected with the rest of the series either in ideas or themes. You remember 'dark energy'? You know, the raison d'etre for Tali's presence on Haestrom, as well as mentioned at other parts of ME2 (like Illium). There was this whole big setup for 'dark energy' throughout ME2, it was foreshadowed as being of some galactic importance. And in ME3. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. The storyline was just abandoned and forgotten. Oops. No dark energy concerns here. This smacks of just lazy writing, and inept plotting.

(Rumor has it that this was originally to be a part of the buildup for the conclusion - a connection between the middle act of the trilogy and its finale. But was abandoned for.... who knows. Instead you get a series of rushed deus ex machina developments. And then, over.)

It pains me as a longtime fan and customer of bioware to see how little regard they have for quality here. That was the brand really, immersive RPGs with engaging, high adventure stories. That apparently is not the brand anymore. I don't know what is.

Finally, I think I should point out the discrepancy between the 'professional critics' and 'user reviews' here and elsewhere. This is amazing. The reasons for the discrepancy are unclear, but I think the ramifications are going to be long reaching. The central question (for me at least) is one of trust: Is there any spirit of consumer protection left in software review or is it just caveat emptor, and have a nice day?
  93. fmb
    Mar 29, 2012
    I think the game has moments of greatness, but overall, I feel like it is sloppy, incomplete, and worst of all, uninspired. The lack of legitimate side quests (only six N7 missions, all with very little variety in tone, plot, and scenery), the complete removal of any form of exploration, the thinness of dialogue options and prevalence of auto dialogue, the lack of conversation with companions, the limited use of ME2 squadmates, the fetch quest system ala Dragon Age 2, and the incoherent and lackluster ending all make this a frustrating and disappointing game. I expected Mass Effect to go out with a bang, but instead I feel like it just stumbled to an unsatisfying conclusion. It could have been a lot more than it was. Expand
  94. Mar 30, 2012
    Hrm.. I would have given mass effect 1 and 2 around a 9 out of 10 but this final instalment is a real dissapointment. I feel like I have lost hours of my life which can never be reclaimed, It is and it is'nt the ending that spoil this game, i feel as if all of your decisions in 3 are incosiquential as everything towards the end is almost fixed, you can't go wrong or right. Also you are presented with many less choices than before, you know just get the good / evil choice and both lead to the same result. Seeing as this game was always about narrative, the story seems to have thinned out ten fold with the most important aspect of the game now seemingly being the shooter, i never played mass effect to kill hordes of the enemy, that always bored the hell out of me, but that is all this game throws at you, I found that i would often change from hardcore to casual just because of the length of time it was taking to fight the hordes, i wanted a well writen story not a shooter. If i had wanted to aimlessly kill hordes of enemy i would have played dead island or some other shooter. Now the ending ruined the previous 2 games for me i feel like it makes everything a bit pointless and futile because realisticlly you had no chance of changing anything meaning all of your previous decisions are void as such. I am yet to play multiplayer all though I hear it is good so fingers crossed it will make up for one of the worse and most dissapointing narratives of a single player game for the last many months. Expand
  95. Mar 30, 2012
    Yeah, I really liked the game, had a few bugs, a few bumps along the ride, but the end....man...the ending is bad on an entirely new dimension.
    Why is it enough to give the hole game this low rating?...because not only this ending is completely unlogical and senseless, it completely destroys everything the series has accomplished since ME1, every squad member in the end gets his
    personality destroyed, their loyalties obliterated.
    Every little piece of gameplay, every little dialogue, every emotional moment along the hole franchise, got destroyed in less than 20 minutes of non playing gameplay :S
  96. Apr 1, 2012
    There should be an audit for the critic reviews for Mass Effect 3. There is no way that you can finish this game and still give a review of 10 out of 10. I don't think majority of the 1st day reviewers for Mass Effect 3 finished the game. The game is about 9 or 10 out of 10, but in the last 10 mins, the entire trilogy become unraveled. I would give this game a 3 or 4.
  97. Apr 1, 2012
    This game was a major disappointment. The game itself was actually pretty good, up until the last twenty minutes or so. But the ending was so horrible that it honestly ruins the entire series. Most would say it was the journey, not the ending that makes this game amazing. But using that logic would mean that the Titanic survivors shouldn't have anything to complain about. It was the journey they should remember, not the ending where the unsinkable ship sank in the cold dark depths of the ocean. This game is a rental at best, if you are a fan of the series don't even bother playing it. Expand
  98. Apr 2, 2012
    The third game totally betrayed the sense of Discovery, that the 1st on had, and even the second one. i have to echo what has been said here, the animation was AWFUL, and embarrassing for a company of this caliber to release as finished work.
  99. Apr 4, 2012
    As a big Mass Effect fan, this game was a must have for me. I loved every minute of each game. The action in this part has improved over the second one, the graphics look better and the story is still top notch. While playing the game, i noticed my options (choices) were less than the other parts, but I didn't find it to be a big problem. The thirty or so hours were great, until I got til the ending...

Sadly but true, the series took a dive I couldn't have seen coming. The ending felt unfinished, non sensical and just plain out of place. Normally, I replay the Mass Effect series multiple times. I haven't felt like playing this one any more. The ending truly was the downfall for the series.
  100. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purchased Mass Effect 1 and 2 in addition to all the DLCs because the games were very good. The first one focused on the ME universe while the second focused more on your squad. They each had teething problems, but they were well done.

ME3 had some great scenes such as the Genophage issue between the Krogan and the Salarians as well as the Geth and Qurian conflict, however, after that it seemed to fall apart. It was if two different writing teams were involved. Bioware was pushing this whole idea about take back Earth, instead it was just a straight run with waves of enemies. If you felt you were going to make the tough decisions such as the ME2 sUicide mission, it doesnt even come close. You would think that all the decisions made previously, the major conflict resolution such as the Geth and krogans and the war assets would make an impact at the end. Nope, nothing they are counted as war assets which remain at 50% unless you play the coop multiplayer. They are counted as points and you don't see anything of them, except for the Krogan at the end for a brief cameo. Of course, don't get me started about the ending which Bioware lied about, essentially saying the end will be different and we won't give you a choice A,b or C, when in fact they do, instead they are red, green and blue.

I could go on, but I am sure by now, you will see the gist of it. I canal understand people who say they played the entire game including the ending, they cannot say that it was rushed or just a complete mess.

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.