Mass Effect 3 Xbox 360

5.8

1. Jun 9, 2013
    I think what hurts this game most is its own hype. By being the final installment of a trilogy, it has a tremendous amount of pressure to tie all loose ends and satisfy story arcs so that gamers will be whetted for a new hero and new series.
    If one plays this stand-alone, which I think is a ridiculous idea, but the game is set up to accustom one for such a scenario it would rank much higher.
    But as part of a set and the end of that set, it grades lower. The ending, is such a punch, It really robs the whole theme of the trilogy, perseverance. There was an attempt to fix it, and it works for some, not for others.
    There is good here, it doesn't deserve the absolute bottom of the barrel scores. The Multiplayer gets little mention but has a lot of options as far as if you play an alien, guns, level buildup. When the game was young MP was bustling, but now is old enough the updates have stopped it will be a slow death for it.
  2. Jul 11, 2014
    If you haven't played this already stop reading and do so. NOW! Ignore the **** that gave it a 'zero'. The ending may not be what was promised but is generally satisfying and the journey to get there is epic. Do yourself a favor and conclude the best trilogy in video games. NOW!!!!
  3. Apr 20, 2016
    7/10 too much space and bad ending, nevermind the 50+ hours it took to get to it. THOSE 10 minutes ruined gaming for me! Also I'm a little salty because Metacritic censored me on my ME2 review! Censor this, metacritic! (_)_)::::::::::::::::::::::::D
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Please don't give the game 0/10 because you don't like the DLC. I have no DLC and the game is absolutely incredible, even better than ME2. You want to buy this, you will not regret it!!
  5. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love Mass Effect, and I love this installment. It's great. It feels the most polished and entertaining of the series. I don't have any issues with the gay or lesbian scenes, I didn't feel like a political agenda was being shoved down my throat. What I do take issue with, however, is the ending. Without giving too much away, it destroys the universe everyone has come to love over the years. Your choices mean nothing, and, no matter what you do, it will always end in one of the same ways. Even though throughout the entire game, they're pushing you to get as much aide as possible, it doesn't mean anything if you don't get the bar completely filled. Mass effect tries to be Deus Ex, and it does a terrible job of it.

If something was added to amend the ending, I'd give the game an 8 or a 9. Till then, I left the game feeling cheated of what was an otherwise spectacular experience.
  6. Apr 1, 2012
    Two points off for two flaws, there is almost no exploration and the ending is crap. The rest of the game is fantastic, especially Tali's mission. Got to love Tali.
  7. Mar 22, 2012
    This was a very mixed experience, i understand what other people are talking about, there isn't much to criticize about the core gameplay, maybe the fact that the encounters feel very triggered, step right in and boom, enemies pop and now you need to kill em. Repeat this but change the enemy composition. Made me feel bit like dragon age 2 where i felt there was a great spot for an enemyThis was a very mixed experience, i understand what other people are talking about, there isn't much to criticize about the core gameplay, maybe the fact that the encounters feel very triggered, step right in and boom, enemies pop and now you need to kill em. Repeat this but change the enemy composition. Made me feel bit like dragon age 2 where i felt there was a great spot for an enemy encounter and whoops there it was every single time. There really didn't exist that much choice in the dialogue. You pretty much got all you wanted eventually no matter which way you wanted it. And for the side quests, well i just ended up eavesdropping, and then delivering stuff to people who i happened to pass by and had an indicator on em. I felt i was being held by hand. And everyone wanted to get in bed with me it seemed. But i spent a good 28 hours on the game, and don't think i will more. Expand
  8. Mar 15, 2012
    Ok, I played all three games for the first time in the span of three weeks. ME3 was hardly terrible, but I can see why it seems like a major disappointment to the fanboys since ME2 was such a leap beyond the seriously-flawed ME1? Expectations were ridiculously high. The gameplay was fine, and the looting not tedious and meaningless. I suppose the passive quest selecting took time to getOk, I played all three games for the first time in the span of three weeks. ME3 was hardly terrible, but I can see why it seems like a major disappointment to the fanboys since ME2 was such a leap beyond the seriously-flawed ME1? Expectations were ridiculously high. The gameplay was fine, and the looting not tedious and meaningless. I suppose the passive quest selecting took time to get used to. The bosses were adequate. The visuals and audio were trouble-free on my PC version. The gay stuff might have been off-putting to some - sorry, the signs were there in the first two games so it just seemed like a natural á¼¹ÎµÏ Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2012
    Now, I noticed that a lot of people are giving this game a really bad score. I personally really enjoyed the game primarily because the Mass Effect Universe is one of the most detailed sci-fi universes to date. Now, this game was fantastic. Story wise, it was there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 1. Gameplay wise, it was also there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 2. Now, the reasonNow, I noticed that a lot of people are giving this game a really bad score. I personally really enjoyed the game primarily because the Mass Effect Universe is one of the most detailed sci-fi universes to date. Now, this game was fantastic. Story wise, it was there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 1. Gameplay wise, it was also there, 100% just as it was in Mass Effect 2. Now, the reason I am not giving this a perfect 10 was that there was something missing. The game did not have enough things to do. 22 missions, including the final missions, 7 N7 missions that were more like side quests, and only a few places to go. Now, in about 20 hours, I completed everything, thinking that this was really short for Mass Effect. Mass Effect 1 was pretty much a pool to swim in and so many things to do. Mass Effect 2 had a lot of scanning and traveling around, plus so many characters to meet. In the third one, it really just did not have as much content as all of the other games, but where it lacked in amount of content, it made up for the sheer joy the game brought me. Going around and taking down the Reapers was a challenge and there were so many satisfying moments throughout the game making it worthwhile. Now the endings were something interesting. I wont spoil it, but they are pretty cool endings if you think about the changes each one brings about to the whole galaxy. A lot of the people that are complaining about the endings are just whining because they really could not end the game on their own terms. That was the sacrifice of taking down the Reapers. There are really no happy endings when you face a powerful force that wipes out all of organic life. **** just aint easy when you are up against that. The scale of the situation makes the whole game seem so epic and the end, even though it is interesting and not an easy ending to deal with, is worth it. I highly suggest playing a very innovative series and a credit to the Sci-fi genre. Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved the Mass Effect series. The second one got away from the RPG elements a little bit and played more like Gears of Mass Effect, and now they have just stripped the soul out of the series. The dialogue choices here have been vastly lowered, the skills have been dumbed down and streamlined so much that I would be hard pressed to even call it an RPG anymore. The writing is godawful,I loved the Mass Effect series. The second one got away from the RPG elements a little bit and played more like Gears of Mass Effect, and now they have just stripped the soul out of the series. The dialogue choices here have been vastly lowered, the skills have been dumbed down and streamlined so much that I would be hard pressed to even call it an RPG anymore. The writing is godawful, which used to be BioWare's strong suit. BioWare has been telling us for years now that the choices we made in the first 2 games would have direct implications in the finale. Aside from a few minor instances, this is just not the case. The game is brutally short, with little to no replay value. I haven't tried the multiplayer and probably won't, simply because I don't need to play another online shooter. R.I.P. BioWare, after the debacle that was Dragon Age 2, I was willing to give you another shot with this series, but you've blown it and I will not be contributing another penny to any game you develop in the future. Expand
  11. Mar 7, 2012
    A fantastic and highly-satisfying conclusion to one of the best RPG series of all time. I bought the collector's edition of the game and have been unable to tear myself away from it since 12:01am on release day.
  12. Mar 11, 2012
    Until the last ten minutes or so, Mass Effect 3 is an easy 10. And as a general rule I never consider a game to be a 10, because there is always room for improvement. But as a capstone for a trilogy, the majority of the game was not only beautiful and moving on it's own merits, it did a truly astonishing job of reaching backward and making almost every choice you made in the first twoUntil the last ten minutes or so, Mass Effect 3 is an easy 10. And as a general rule I never consider a game to be a 10, because there is always room for improvement. But as a capstone for a trilogy, the majority of the game was not only beautiful and moving on it's own merits, it did a truly astonishing job of reaching backward and making almost every choice you made in the first two games feel like it really mattered. But then you reach the aforementioned last ten minutes. Without spoiling anything, I would have to say that in the context of a different game, the ending wouldn't have been terrible, but it wouldn't have been great either. It would be a solid seven. In the context of how well it fits into the rest of the trilogy, in terms of tone and overall philosophy, or in the context of how complete and coherent the presentation is, reasonable minds can disagree on how well it caps the trilogy, but I would have to say that objectively, the score range for the end should be 0-5, certainly no higher, and I lean heavily toward zero. But I am going with a 7 overall, because as astonishingly ill-conceived and poorly implemented as the end is, the other 95% of the game is still truly epic and moving, and I can't bring myself to discount that, no matter how much the atrocious ending makes me feel like I should. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    A perfect game. They added more rpg elements back that they toned down in ME2, giving you more control over item customization and weapon variation as well as leveling, which I really appreciated. The story telling, as always is fantastic. Bioware remains one of the best game developers in history.

And for all you DLC whiners, don't buy it if you don't want it. But let's be honest, you should all just be glad that game prices haven't risen at all in the past few years. The cost to create new games continues to rise, but companies aren't punishing us, the gamers by raising costs again. They're finding creative ways to make a profit and in many cases break even. So if you want to rate a game a zero because a company is letting some people spend extra money on extra content so that I can still enjoy one of the best games ever made at $60, you all deserve the self misery you're forcing yourselves to live by not enjoying this game like you should.
  14. Mar 18, 2012
    My review is way too long, so here's a link to the full review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R20FQY6HQ2S1ZR/ref=cm_aya_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004FYEZMQ Now here's the beginning of my review: So, letâ
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    I love it, gotten goosebumps playing this game more than I can ever recall from a video game. Seeing how so many characters that I care about have grown, is fantastic. I love the job the writers did with many of the characters. Certain ones that I felt lacked emotion early on in the series and didn't like as much as others, really seem to have evolved. Very pleased with Mass Effect 3.
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    The problem with Mass Effect 3 is that it stems too far from its roots. Mass Effect 1 was an rpg that took place is an incredible future that you wanted to explore for hours. Mass Effect 2 continued to do the same, albeit in a lesser way. The trade though gave us gameplay that far surpassed the first. Then comes Mass Effect 3. Forced homosexuality and transgender roles on the Normandy, aThe problem with Mass Effect 3 is that it stems too far from its roots. Mass Effect 1 was an rpg that took place is an incredible future that you wanted to explore for hours. Mass Effect 2 continued to do the same, albeit in a lesser way. The trade though gave us gameplay that far surpassed the first. Then comes Mass Effect 3. Forced homosexuality and transgender roles on the Normandy, a placid universe despite the fact that it is allegedly being torn apart, and then the most lackluster story of the entire trilogy. Many people will debate otherwise but the game has lost any flavor it once had. If you must play it rent it, but if you enjoyed 1 and 2 you might find it hard to enjoy 3. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    Great Story and in my opinion a fitting end to the trilogy. Definitely worth playing if you have played the first and Second games because it finishes arguably one of the best Trilogies of Games this gen.
  18. Mar 14, 2012
    My god.. to think i just about did not go buy this game because of all the negative reviews i read on here. Boy you people are a piece of work this is the best game i have played in a long long time. Anyone who gives this game a bad score need to go have there head checked. 10/10
  19. Mar 29, 2012
    Insane scores on here for this great game. ME3 has moved on from its RPG roots to action/rpg drama. It does this well (but not without flaws). The bad : cover system is not right, day 1 DLC & the infamous ending, which offers virtually identical endings BUT watching the ending for the first time, it is a worthy ending to a great trilogy. The good : Great Story, humour, acting, greatInsane scores on here for this great game. ME3 has moved on from its RPG roots to action/rpg drama. It does this well (but not without flaws). The bad : cover system is not right, day 1 DLC & the infamous ending, which offers virtually identical endings BUT watching the ending for the first time, it is a worthy ending to a great trilogy. The good : Great Story, humour, acting, great graphics, surprisingly good multi player (-cover system), great musical score, great character realisation, improved accessibility, improved combat mechanics, great AI (at higher levels), properly hard mode. It is not a perfect game, but it is pretty close and the best Bioware game since DAO. Just because a game is not perfect does not mean it gets scored at 0. Expand
  20. Mar 11, 2012
    Wow, I don't think I've been more mad at a video game than I have right now, after finishing Mass Effect trilogy. What other reviewers are saying is true. If you were a fan of Mass Effect franchise, you are gonna feel like you've been kicked in the balls and f-ed in the a$s by the ending (any 3). It is a great freaking game before that, especially story- and gameplay-wise. I spent 40+Wow, I don't think I've been more mad at a video game than I have right now, after finishing Mass Effect trilogy. What other reviewers are saying is true. If you were a fan of Mass Effect franchise, you are gonna feel like you've been kicked in the balls and f-ed in the a$s by the ending (any 3). It is a great freaking game before that, especially story- and gameplay-wise. I spent 40+ hours completely engrossed by the beautiful environment and choices that I had to make. Combat system is a bit clunky because of flawed cover mechanic, but it's manageable. Multiplayer is pretty fun, too, for around 10 hours (for me). But if you are a fan of Mass Effect franchise and have not bought this game yet, play up to the part after missile is launched on Earth, and use your own imagination. That will save yourself from a LOT of disappointment. Expand
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    Horrible textures, horrible lighting, horrible controls, horrible story, Day 1 DLC, $70 price tag for PC game, Horrible Origin. This game screams console port for the PC.
  22. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is probably nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Up to a very specific point, the game is beautiful, poetic, and engaging. Games that produce a swell of emotions in the player are rare, and the Mass Effect series does this better than anyone else. When you come across familiar characters, you feel a joy akin to running into an old friend. When they die, you feel a genuine sense of loss. The music is perfect, the combat is tight, and the visuals evoke a sense of scale that truly befits the often-used but rarely deserved adjective "EPIC".

But like I said, this is only up to a very specific point, and that point is when Shepard enters the beam of light and is transported to the Citadel. The plot holes introduced in the last 10 minutes of the series are so numerous, the inconsistencies and contradictions so prevalent, the choices so limited, and the 16 "different" endings so homogeneous, that it bears little resemblance to anything that led the player to this point.

The outrage that has been generated by this game's ending is like nothing before, and the massive discrepancy that exist between the player and critic reviews is very telling. I'm sorry, but I cannot recommend this game.
  23. Mar 23, 2012
    I loved this game, its really epic and well done except for a few things: I loved how the romances were done, they had been deepened, I romanced Kaidan as a fem shep and it was fantastic, what bothered me though was the fact that liara got more attention and story as always, its like bioware wants her to be the main romance and I am no lesbian so I wont romance her, even though she is notI loved this game, its really epic and well done except for a few things: I loved how the romances were done, they had been deepened, I romanced Kaidan as a fem shep and it was fantastic, what bothered me though was the fact that liara got more attention and story as always, its like bioware wants her to be the main romance and I am no lesbian so I wont romance her, even though she is not supposed to have a gender she does look very much as a woman. Also it didn't matter if you cheated on your li or not as bioware has said which was disappointing as well. And the ending... I am not going to go into it but it was very badly done and none of the choices made through the games mattered. Play the game except the last 10 minutes and you will love it. Expand
  24. Mar 31, 2012
    While I agree with some on here that the ending wasn't nearly what it should have been for the ending of the series, I definitely feel that flooding MC with negative reviews is a bit overblown. I simply loved the game, and the rest of the game DEFINITELY makes up for the last ten minutes.
  25. Mar 12, 2012
    A) This game is fantastic and a lot of fun to play.
    B) The entire experience is ruined by that fact that you cannot import your character from previous games.
    A) This game is fantastic and a lot of fun to play.

If an entire trilogy is predicated on carrying a custom character across all games in the series, it's both laughable and offensive to fans that the third game would not permit that same custom face to be brought forward. Yes, it's possible to recreate your custom face using the editor. No, it's not fun and a major strike against BioWare quality assurance.
  26. Mar 14, 2012
    (SPOILERS, MAJOR) Seriously, don't listen to all the whiners. Yes, they made some changes, and yes, it is not Mass Effect 1, but then again, why would you want it to be? Overall, it's an amazing game, and I think the main reason it has such a low user score, especially when compared to the critic score, is that all these cry babies just couldn't stand to see their shep get killed off(SPOILERS, MAJOR) Seriously, don't listen to all the whiners. Yes, they made some changes, and yes, it is not Mass Effect 1, but then again, why would you want it to be? Overall, it's an amazing game, and I think the main reason it has such a low user score, especially when compared to the critic score, is that all these cry babies just couldn't stand to see their shep get killed off (unless you get the "special ending.") It was always supposed to be a trilogy people, and I personally think the ending was amazing. Sacrificing yourself so that the universe can survive in peace? What's more heroic than that? The series was always gonna have a bittersweet ending and if you couldn't see it coming you are a failure. The only problem I have with this game is that it seems like many of your dialogue choices have been removed and turned into cut scenes, likely a result of their attempt to "streamline" the game for the mouth breathers who can't finish a game unless it holds their hand all the way through. and yes, some of the "emotional moments" were hamfisted, but some were extremely well done. Also, to everyone crying foul about how greedy ea and bioware have been with this game, I will concede that the day 1 dlc was obnoxious, and that I too could not figure out how to get my ems above 3500 without multiplayer. Pretty annoying, but at the same time, they had the balls to actually kill off their main character and, unless they plan on a ridiculous retcon, they killed their series (at least with shep as the main character.) If they were that greedy, don't you think we'd have gotten some stupidly unrealistic fairly tale ending that everyone seems to want? I know I didn't review the game, but I figure people reading here aren't looking for reviews, they are looking for complaints, and I wanted to tell you that most everyone is probably just sad about the ending and think that sad ending equals bad game, which it does not. 9 or maybe even 10 out of 10 for me. Expand
  27. Apr 29, 2012
    It's a shame so many users have chosen to take out their frustration with the game's ending rather than rate the whole thing. The team behind these games really polished the engine and concept from ME2 and made it work better than ever in ME3. It's true, for many the ending may detract from the experience for some (I was not disappointed, but I can see how it would seem unfulfilling forIt's a shame so many users have chosen to take out their frustration with the game's ending rather than rate the whole thing. The team behind these games really polished the engine and concept from ME2 and made it work better than ever in ME3. It's true, for many the ending may detract from the experience for some (I was not disappointed, but I can see how it would seem unfulfilling for some, and why DLC is coming to flesh it out). The rest of the game though is tremendous, and even the multiplayer works well (and is FUN). This is one time you should go with the critics, and less with the user score, it's less biased on one single point of the game. Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2012
    Let me start off by saying, I adore the Mass Effect universe, and loved both the first and second games. Mass Effect three, on the other hand, feels like a watered down version of the previous titles. The areas are smaller, exploration is all but gone, and combat is easier than ever. I blazed through the game in no time, and felt cheated at some of the 'emotional' payoffs the story teamLet me start off by saying, I adore the Mass Effect universe, and loved both the first and second games. Mass Effect three, on the other hand, feels like a watered down version of the previous titles. The areas are smaller, exploration is all but gone, and combat is easier than ever. I blazed through the game in no time, and felt cheated at some of the 'emotional' payoffs the story team tried to unload on me. Compared to other games available on the Xbox 360, its still a very decent game, but compared to the other Mass Effect games, this is inexcusable, and I'll never get the resolution that this series rightfully deserved. Expand
  29. Mar 29, 2012
    BEEN UNABLE TO PLAY FOR OVER 2 WEEKS DUE TO KNOW BUG.EA SUPPORT IS NO HELP AT ALL. BIOWARE JUST KEEPS SAYING NOTHING BUT WE WILL HAVE IT FIXED SOON. WASTE OF MONEY. plus little i did get to play was just a horrible rehash for all those stupid people who love the same thing over and over and over....
  30. Apr 20, 2012
    I have been a huge fan of this series and bought the collector's edition of all 3 games, but after finishing Mass Effect 3 I have not only lost all interest in the series, but will never be playing another BioWare game. The ending negates everything you did in all 3 games, and doesn't take into account anything that you did along the way, it just comes down to 3 arbitrary choices, all ofI have been a huge fan of this series and bought the collector's edition of all 3 games, but after finishing Mass Effect 3 I have not only lost all interest in the series, but will never be playing another BioWare game. The ending negates everything you did in all 3 games, and doesn't take into account anything that you did along the way, it just comes down to 3 arbitrary choices, all of which are bad, and make no sense. And it is too bad, because I honestly thought this was the best game I ever played until I hit the end, but seeing the 3 endings provided (really one ending with some variations) has left an empty feeling in my stomach, and ruined the entire story for me. I will not pay for any more download content (which is how the game ends telling you to wait for download content that will be coming), nor playing another BioWare game ever again. I just don't understand how the game could not only not allow the choice that the whole series is built on, but also not even seem to understand what you had accomplished in the game. If you are a fan of the series and have not picked it up, don't, let your good image of this game not be tarnished by this awful ending! Expand
  31. May 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not like most of the people who have reviewed ME3 here up to this point. By this I mean that I'm 47 years old. I also was introduced to this series with ME3. I only got into console-based gaming three or four years ago; the last console I owned before my PS3 was an Intellivision (swear to God). There were several titles in 2009 which grabbed my attention by the ba11s and totally immersed me into gaming. That being said, I tried the demo to ME2 when it hit the PSN a couple of years ago and it made NO sense to me - controlling 2 other characters and figuring out how AI had progressed SO much was just too much for my head to grapple with. Then came ME3. Not only did it romance the heck out of me with the ads (still can't believe they worked so well on me), I suckered into the hype of release day. Still didn't play it for 2 weeks. Then once I started I couldn't stop. I was overwhelmed by the emotions that this game was pulling out of me ... when I went to work, I couldn't stop thinking about what I'd just experienced. I couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen next ... the first time I had to wipe out an entire civilization it devastated me. My friends started becoming concerned about my inability to separate fact from fiction! ; ) I wasn't aware of the romance options ... and when Steve Cortez said that he had lost his husband in a Collector invasion ... I dropped my controller. (I'm a gay guy). Thank God a friend was here to confirm what I thought I had just heard. (so what if the dialogue betw. Shep and Steve becomes a little contrived ... the ADVANCEMENT that this is for us gays feels MONUMENTAL to me). I almost fell off the edge of my chair while bringing Javic back to life. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, was some BRILLIANT scifi writing. (re the salarians: "they used to eat flies." --- OMG!) Then I got to the end. After I finally stopped CRYING because Shepard had almost just died like that I got to the ending sequence. I knew I hated that little kid from the beginning. I like to think I understand the ending ... and how it got there. I HATE the fact that he (presumably) had to die. HATE IT. I didn't necessarily like the ending to "Schindler's List" either, but that's how it was meant to be seen. Everything in life doesn't come with closure or wrap itself up in a tidy little ending to make you feel better. Some things just are what they are and leave us to figure it out ... or not. If you really think about it, the ending could have been A LOT worse. But this game intrigued me so much that I RAN to get ME2 and ME. Which brings me REALLY to why I'm writing this. The technical advancement from ME to ME3 is reason enough to gush about the game. I was a little thrown off by the "godzilla"-like lip movements, but my God people ... in just 10 years the technological advancements that were made with this series is something that should be rewarded (like by an Academy Award or something). (sorry for the upcoming pun) The mass effect (told you) that this game had on me will always stay with me. And keep me gaming into my 80s (probably).

Someone on this page made a comment about ME3 being "sodomic and heterophobic"... first, dude, those aren't words. Second, the majority of the world is straight. Statistically gay is only 10% of the population. By giving the male Shep a possible 2 out of 7 love interests that pretty much keeps in line with global statistics. Unless you think the entire world is hetero-phobic .... ??

I think ME3 ROCKED. (and thanks for letting me rant like this! : )
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    I dislike that they are trying to market this game off to casual gamers. As a trilogy I would rather have had them do what they did with this game to the previous two. Aside from that, the game isn't all bad. Although the game still feels much simpler than the first, the shooter element has gotten a vast improvement. The multiplayer is great, addictive and avoidable if you do not haveI dislike that they are trying to market this game off to casual gamers. As a trilogy I would rather have had them do what they did with this game to the previous two. Aside from that, the game isn't all bad. Although the game still feels much simpler than the first, the shooter element has gotten a vast improvement. The multiplayer is great, addictive and avoidable if you do not have means to play it online. All in all the game is great for mass effect fans. If you have yet to play the first and second ME I suggest you do before playing this, it will greatly improve what would otherwise be a very confusing story. Expand
  33. Mar 6, 2012
    2007, I will never forget you for you introduced me to the 7th gen of gaming and the best Sci fI GASIM that I have had in gaming since Wing Commander. ME1 was the high of my 25years of gaming. What makes it even better is that us gamers get 2 more games:) Haters will hate. But you have to be very spoilt to hate such a piece of art made by passionate hard working people. Sure I hate day 12007, I will never forget you for you introduced me to the 7th gen of gaming and the best Sci fI GASIM that I have had in gaming since Wing Commander. ME1 was the high of my 25years of gaming. What makes it even better is that us gamers get 2 more games:) Haters will hate. But you have to be very spoilt to hate such a piece of art made by passionate hard working people. Sure I hate day 1 DLC but that is just the new work model of todays Industry so get over it.

I gave it a 10 based on the simple fact that it has to be better than ME1. Good Effort and thanks for my 90-100hours of Sci Fi bliss. Something that Star Trek should have done.
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    I can't believe people are giving it zeros just because of day one DLC. Apparently they just don't know how game development works. 10 because it's an amazing game with amazing DLC
  35. May 17, 2012
    My favourite gaming franchise, I loved Mass Effects 1-3 so much, that I have 5 characters and have completed minimum of 4 playthroughs through ME1 & 2. Mass Effect 3 is an AWESOME game, no doubt about it. It's setting the standard for story based games and RPGs, now and for the future. Although I didn't mind the ending, I found it cool actually, it could of been WAY more awesome, byMy favourite gaming franchise, I loved Mass Effects 1-3 so much, that I have 5 characters and have completed minimum of 4 playthroughs through ME1 & 2. Mass Effect 3 is an AWESOME game, no doubt about it. It's setting the standard for story based games and RPGs, now and for the future. Although I didn't mind the ending, I found it cool actually, it could of been WAY more awesome, by including prior decisions into the outcome of the ending and leaves things out.

Pros: - Hooks you in with all elements (Even if your new to the series)
    - Great refined gameplay! (This game is pretty much Gears of War except more sci-fi and with RPG gameplay and story shaping)
    - Shape the story to how you want (This includes a lot of prior decisions made, unlike most games your previous saves matter!)
    - Great sense of characterisation for who you play as! (You really feel as if you are Shepard)

Cons:
    - New players forced for a few elements of the game to occur (Which they have no choice over as they don't have a previous save file for the game to recognise) (Such as Wrex's death)
    - Crew development was a lot better in Mass Effect 2 (Its less about other people and more about Shepard)
    - Ending is confusing (Many people would agree, but it doesn't ruin the ending, just leaves blanks for you to imagine to fill in)
    - The game doesn't take into account EVERYTHING you've done in previous games, and areas are left unturned, and the ending doesn't take into account prior choices. All in all, an incredible experience that has changed the world of gaming forever and succeeds highly, but could of strived for complete perfection. Hence the 9 instead of perfect 10.
  36. Mar 11, 2012
    You'll be thinking about your choices days after completion; a feat not many games in the industry can replicate. With this being said, the combat is better, and the multiplayer only adds more to an already robust package. And the story? The Mass Effect series will go down as one of the best written stories in all of video gaming history.
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    Your choices don't matter as the game pretty much only has one ending. This is terrible for the concluding game in a trilogy. How is it that the developers can market a game as being based in a world that responds to your decisions then pull this stuff! Rent before you buy or just plain rent.
  38. Mar 11, 2012
    This game is almost perfect the story line the choices the friendships the relationships the cultures all of it is more than I could every hope for this game would be a perfect 10/10 if it weren't for one thing...The ending.
    My advice to anyone who is still playing the game when the citadel open turn off your console because this ending is a cancer to a perfect thing just turn it off and come up with your own ending because chances are it will be better than this steaming pile of #$@&.
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    Brilliant end to a great trilogy. It's all about great characters, story, graphics and an epic movie like feeling. The gameplay is still quite good, but will never compare to the rest of the elements.
  40. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have loved the Mass Effect Series from day one. The first Mass Effect was a masterpiece. The second one built even more on to that solid frame. Mass Effect 3 was just a step back in the series. The gameplay was fun and I did enjoy the interactions with former and current squad members (R.I.P Mordin and Thane). This game however just ruined the entire with its ending. The first reason is that your decisions over the entire series means nothing in the end. It all boils down to three choices. After all that hard work I put into the entire series I felt like it didn't matter. Next the ending makes no damn sense. It so far out there I felt blind sided. As a Mass Effect fan I feel betrayed by Bioware for making this game and honestly I think EA is what ruined it. EA has ruined the Mass Effect series and they are ruining the gaming industry as a whole. EA and Bioware owes everyone who bought this game an apology. Expand
  41. Mar 6, 2012
    Bad ending to the series, even worse the developers are charging for day 1 dlc. could have waited another month if it meant getting my full game. Some design of the game was alittle off and some voice acting was very cheap
  42. Apr 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much of a game, so much to say, but I think I'll start before it even released. The Cerberus Daily News feed was supposed to have new articles immediately prior to the release of the game. Instead, it got a couple tweets of news, for fewer days than was originally promised. This would have been massively disappointing, were it not for the Emily Wong tweets. For those who weren't following, twitter became a live news source for the initial invasion taking place in Southern California. The story IT told was really cool and helped set the tone for the game itself. As for the game, the single-player portion may not have explored as many of the characters as I'd have hoped, but it DOES give the humor and OH *#^@ moments that I've enjoyed since the beginning in 2007. Finally however, there are plot inconsistencies that creep in to break some of the fiction. Things like Shepard restraining a Justicar and not being killed for it, or the Batarians learning FTL travel...from ruins on a planet in a different star system that required them to know FTL travel to get to in the first place. These are relatively minor but still, that sucks. They are the small blemishes that slightly mar the campaign as you attempt to save the galaxy. Then comes the part where you save the galaxy. At the end of ME1 and ME2, I had a sense of excitement for what the future held in the ME Universe, and how I could save it. There are NO endings that allow you to do that. With the destruction of the mass relays, (which for some reason doesn't necessarily destroy the systems they reside in) there is NO hope that the galactic community can continue to exist as it had because they are isolated in their own systems. I have no problem with Shepard being killed in the process, soldiers give their lives for lesser causes, but no matter what I do, the Citadel and the relays are destroyed, fundamentally altering how societies can interact. Garrus can't return to Omega to clean house after the war and Tali can't go back to her home world cuz they're both stuck on Earth. Or at least they should have been since they were in my squad and NOT on the Normandy which, oh yeah I forgot, had retreated to either FTL or a relay jump for some reason and ALL of my squad was there and not with me somehow. The last 20 minutes of the game, however you decide to end it, are disappointing. No matter what you do, you can't save the Citadel, you can't preserve the galactic community, and you're crew ends up in the exact same forest (though to Joker's credit, he was able to crash the SR2 delicately enough so as to NOT disturb any of the trees). Other decisions that don't matter but probably should have... ME1: Save the council or let them die. Anderson or Udina Save the Rachni or don't ME2: Blow up the Collector base or give it to Cerberus 3 of those decisions come in the final 10 min of each game, they are all among the most influential decisions Shepard ever makes...but the councilors all speak to you in the same manner. Udina will always be the human councilor, Anderson will always be an Admiral, the rachni will either be the ones you saved or some others will fill in the blank, and Cerberus will gain technology for the base or from salvage. DISAPPOINTING! Multiplayer was ok, tho I never got excited for the combat or gameplay of Mass Effect. In the campaign, I happily set it to story mode and blaze thru enemies so that I can get to the conversations quicker. But about the conversations and multiplayer...I felt as though there were fewer lines of dialogue in ME3 compared to ME2. I understand there is only so much room on 2 discs for content, but how much more fulfilling could the campaign have been if the multiplayer portion wasn't included? Could there have been more dialogue from characters left off the Normandy? Could my choices have made more of an impact? Could Tali have had an actual face instead of a stock internet photo? I may be wrong about the amount of dialogue created, but I'm not mistaken in my disappointment with many of the features I had hoped for. Overall a 7. I almost cried in my 1st playthrough when I thought I could save the Geth and the Quarians and ended up driving my good friend to her death. I've had to collect my jaw from the floor many times, and the humor of Joker, EDI, Wiks, and Mordin are amazing. But despite putting over 120 hours into a single character, no matter what I did or chose was enough to save the galaxy. Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2012
    ME3 is an abomination in comparison to its predecessors, it is sloppily made and poorly written and even has scenery proven by users to have been pulled off of google search ( one of the main characters Tali Zorah proven to have been a poorly photoshopped version of a stock photo). This game should have been aborted, the dialogue options are pants on head retarded and the combat isME3 is an abomination in comparison to its predecessors, it is sloppily made and poorly written and even has scenery proven by users to have been pulled off of google search ( one of the main characters Tali Zorah proven to have been a poorly photoshopped version of a stock photo). This game should have been aborted, the dialogue options are pants on head retarded and the combat is hindered by poor controls and bugs. Couple all this with $860 dollars worth of DLC (as well as a DLC ending that is the only one that doesnt absolutely suck) and we have a game that is better off left pirated or not bought at all. The endings are so bad that if you are a true fan of the mass effect series you would stop at 2 since the ending of ME3 is full of plot holes and forced endings that are supposed to be "so sad and edgy". The story of ME3 can be seen identically in games over a decade old such as Dues ex and Star Control. This is horrible for a triple A game released in 2012. Expand
  44. Mar 7, 2012
    Best game in my favorite gameseries of all time. there are truly few games whose story has a real soul to it. I laughed cried and often found myself just sitting there smiling at what happened at the screen. And for me it simply does not get any better.
  45. Jul 8, 2012
    Poor gameplay, decision taking, writing and innovation. The saving of the game are probably the graphics, which when weighted against the bad things of the game, don't seem to get the score up. No entitlement in the decisions you take. Bad and uninspired characters that decline the quality of the storytelling. A really bad game, overall.
  46. Mar 17, 2012
    Waiting for the finale to the epic trilogy that is mass effect was agonizing. All the choices and hours invested over the past two games (and 5 years) were promised to carry over to the final game in a summation of our actions, good and bad, leading up to this point. This promise was completely broken as the ending played out and the obvious disregard for said promise was thrown out theWaiting for the finale to the epic trilogy that is mass effect was agonizing. All the choices and hours invested over the past two games (and 5 years) were promised to carry over to the final game in a summation of our actions, good and bad, leading up to this point. This promise was completely broken as the ending played out and the obvious disregard for said promise was thrown out the window. Instead, you are presented with three choices that are all entirely too similar, rife with plot holes and inconsistencies that would make the Bush administration blush. Major decisions throughout the series were ignored, leaving the player to have no real reason to agonize over the decisions in the first place. We are not entitled, whiny gamers, but simply gamers disappointed with a promise that was not kept. Bioware, make it right. Expand
  47. Mar 17, 2012
    Great Game, except the ending. The ending wasn't that horrible, it has definitely been exaggerated in how bad it was, but I feel like they could have done better. Still worth the money though.
  48. Mar 21, 2012
    A fun game with a bad ending is a bad game. I would say the same for TV show of Movie. If the last act is very poorly done. I would give low marks.. The fact the quality drops so suddenly, so late in the game is more shocking than anything else.

I would not recommend this game to anyone.
  49. Mar 7, 2012
    Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring,Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring, combat is about the same, hardly any improvements, and explore-able environments have completely disappeared. This game is a giant joke. Personally, I'm pretending that Mass Effect 1 and 2 are true to the series, and 3 never happened. This is what the Crystal Skull movie did to the Indiana Jones series, it raped it. Expand
  50. Apr 3, 2012
    Overall one of the best rpgs ever created. No other series or game has forced me to sit there and think about the consequences of my decisions like this one. I even spent 20 minutes explaining the backstory of a decision to my girlfriend to get her opinion on what was the right thing to do. No matter what the haters of the ending say, they all played the game to the ending for a reason.Overall one of the best rpgs ever created. No other series or game has forced me to sit there and think about the consequences of my decisions like this one. I even spent 20 minutes explaining the backstory of a decision to my girlfriend to get her opinion on what was the right thing to do. No matter what the haters of the ending say, they all played the game to the ending for a reason. They loved the series and enjoyed this game enough to see it's conclusion. The action points are fun and tense, the return of multiple previous teammates is entertaining, even the resource gathering mini-game from previous entries has been further improved to not make it so boring/repetitive. Overall, this game is an improvement in every area from the previous entries.
    As for the ending, I think lots of people are confusing anger at the ending vs. not having multiple endings. I believe the presented ending is well written and a nice conclusion to the series. I won't argue that there are some portions of the ending that are not well explained but I leave that up to Bioware to explore in future DLC and Mass Effect releases. However most people seem to be upset because no matter what you've done in the previous games, it minimally affects the outcome. This is a valid complaint but not one that should earn the scorn and purposefully low ratings this game has received.
    As for the multiplayer, I found it to be entertaining but ultimately very repetitive with later difficulty levels being set a little too high. The baseball card pack way of upgrading your gear is good in that it keeps you coming back for more and prevents you from obtaining and maxing out the best guns too early. However I swear that they purposely coded it so that you don't receive upgrades to guns you actually use. This can lead to grinding and frustration as you attempt to get the one gun/upgrade that your pining for. Added to this frustration is the difficulty of the gold difficulty levels. Gold difficulty is set up so that it can only be beat in one of two ways. Method one: obtain 3 dedicated friends, you all level your characters to max level, and then you all obtain the maximum level in the best guns in the game. This will give you less than a 50% chance to beat gold. Method two: One person goes as a specific race of a specific class, you fight a specific enemy in a specific spot on a specific level, and you manipulate the game design based on the abilities of that one class. This will give you a 75% chance of beating gold. Since the first method requires the highest levels of the best guns you're pigeon-holed into doing the second method so many times you get burnt out until you don't want to play anymore. So a good first attempt at multiplayer but definitely needs work.
  51. Mar 7, 2012
    My earlier review was removed... I don't know why, it contained no spoilers, profanities, hate speech, or anything that would violate Metacritics strict terms and conditions.

I am only guilty of giving this game a 10 out of 10. Because it is another excellent addition to BioWares already incredible franchise!
  52. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 2.9
    3 Rather than trying to expand on the formula which set Mass Effect as one of those rpg-shooter hybrids which grow more frequent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like. Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has done nothing of note except somehow end
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 2.9
    Rather than trying to expand on the formula which set Mass Effect as one of those rpg-shooter hybrids which grow more frequent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like. Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has done nothing of note except somehow end up on Earth and is being trailed by the Alliance for the **** you've done". That's nice, guess he stopped working with Cerberus and the Council's spectre status meant nothing. Anyway, auto-dialogue sets in with little to no player input for minutes on end, probably one of their new innovations when impatient people found dialogue boring and then explosions occur and the Reapers are there. The entire galaxy acts shocked. Now, maybe I expected too much from the writers but the pacing is horrible. This isn't just for the intro--though the intro does a wonderful job of showing it--with the entire game having Shepard talking without the player's input and the game hoping to imagine you know **** when you don't before explosions happen everywhere. It almost seems like they were trying to build a blockbuster movie rather than write the end of the trilogy, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson being supervised by Michael Bay who's constantly yelling "MORE EXPLOSIONS" throughout the entire creation process. In addition to this, importing serves little to no purpose. Killed a character before? It's somehow back alive! Spare a character? Well, they died off-screen! The consequences which were advertised for years now, since the very inception of the series, becoming meaningless and serving nothing but wasting a writer's five seconds to create a new line for the sake of importing. I feel like I've been robbed, not simply because of my purchase of ME3 being a complete waste but the entire trilogy built up absolutely nothing. Unable to play ME1 or ME2 anymore, ME3 spoils the entire experience. If I wanted automatic dialogue, crappy plots and one-liners I would find myself playing Gears of War, least they have a slightly rewarding ending (Yes, ME3 ends on a downer note that tries to be optimistic and leaves you with hundreds of questions, none which they try to answer). Bioware has fallen hard as of yet, I don't trust they'll be able to stand anymore. Useless information: Gameplay is choppy on PC, one button covering a thousand functions reeks of bad porting. Graphics are worse on PC, shadows everywhere try to obscure poor textures. High Res Patch may be coming but it won't matter since everything is hidden under layers of shadow. Multiplayer gets tiresome quickly, essentially being singleplayer without the dialogue (oh wait, that is the singleplayer. lol.) which you fight waves of enemies with Hackett telling you to do things here or there. Level up system is poorly thought out, certain characters have huge imbalances and you need to sacrifice your MP character to get assets for the Single Player (REPLAY VALUE!!111 *cough* not). Multiplayer is also necessary to get the better endings, which is absolutely **** absurd. Day 1 DLC up the ass costing upwards to 900$ for everything. Mass Effect 3 is absolute garbage, as much as I hate to say it.
  53. Mar 6, 2012
    After spending somewhere around 25 hours getting through Mass Effect 3's single-player campaign, there was one question I couldn't quite answer: why is this game called Far Cry? The sequel, developed by Bioware Montreal, retains nearly nothing from Crytek's 2004 original or from the Xbox and Xbox 360's Instincts and Predator derivations. The story doesn't carry over, the characters aren'tAfter spending somewhere around 25 hours getting through Mass Effect 3's single-player campaign, there was one question I couldn't quite answer: why is this game called Far Cry? The sequel, developed by Bioware Montreal, retains nearly nothing from Crytek's 2004 original or from the Xbox and Xbox 360's Instincts and Predator derivations. The story doesn't carry over, the characters aren't the same, there's no mention at all of Jack Carver, there are no mutagens, no feral powers, and no Trigens. Instead, it's a struggle between warring factions, called the APR and UFLL, in an unnamed African nation.

The game also doesn't give players a pre-determined protagonist. Instead, you select a character to play as, and the rest of the cast appear in the game world around you as friendly NPCs, called buddies, who you can choose to work with. Things begin with a simple tutorial section, introducing you to basic first-person shooter controls and the game's premise. Your main goal is to find The Jackal, a menacing character that supplies weapons to the APR and UFLL to keep lit the fires of conflict.

The point is, with this kind of setup, it's odd that the Far Cry name was even used at all, other than for its obvious name recognition value. Pushing that issue aside and accepting that this is basically a totally different game, you'll find there's quite a bit to like.

There are few direct analogues for Mass Effect 3, as it truly is an open-world shooter. It's a stark contrast to Infinity Ward's unrelentingly linear Call of Duty games, and offers more freedom than what Crytek wound up delivering post-Far Cry with its pseudo-linear Crysis franchise. Perhaps GSC Game World's S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is the best comparison, though even that game differs, because where it leaned more toward role-playing elements, Mass Effect 3 is almost all about shooting. There are still ways to upgrade your character, but the focus here is most definitely on action.

For instance, there's no inventory in the game, just four weapon slots. There's one for your machete, one for a sidearm or accessory, one for a primary weapon (assault rifle, SMG, sniper rifle, shotgun), and one for a special weapon (rocket launcher, mortar, flamethrower). All these weapon types aren't available at the game's beginning; you must unlock them by performing side-quests for weapons vendors located around the world. Much of the game works like this, letting you unlock little bits and pieces here and there to make your journeys across the grassy plains, mountains, and jungles of the world more convenient, and make the process of killing a little easier.

Outside of main quests there are several types of distractions for you. You can do the weapon vendor quests, which always involve hunting down a convoy and disabling it. The rewards are good, as you get access to more weapons, but the quests themselves can get repetitive. There are also quests you can get from buddies you find around the game world and assignments from ominously garbled voices transmitted over electrical towers. Ultimately, they all boil down to pretty much the same thing: go to a location and kill a guy, blow something up, steal something, or force someone to do something they don't want to and then kill them. And if you're particularly obsessive compulsive, you can spend plenty of hours tracking down the multitude of hidden briefcases which contain varying quantities of diamonds. You'll also occasionally have to quest for medicine since, surprise, your character has malaria. While the premise of a sick protagonist seems like it could have had some interesting implications, the way it's implemented here makes it seem like more of a nuisance than anything else.

Some of the main quests can be fairly interesting, but usually only if you choose to work with an NPC buddy. Whichever buddy you've unlocked that likes you best will give you a call after main missions are acquired, offering an alternate method of completion. Sometimes it screws over the faction you're working for but ultimately involves the same infiltrate / kill mechanic used in most of the other quests. More rarely you'll get to do something totally different, like using a warhead to drop a bridge on a barge instead of having to infiltrate the barge and killing a target on it. Using buddies like this to complete missions in different ways is also to your benefit, as it gradually upgrades all the safe houses in the game world with ammo stashes, health supplies, and eventually vehicles.
  54. Mar 6, 2012
    Almost no content, one ending, bland dialog, repetitive and incredibly easy combat and animations that look like the game came out in 2007 make this game look rushed. Do not buy this for any reason other than to see what NOT to do when making a game.
  55. Mar 6, 2012
    Instead of an amazing finale to one of the best franchises in last 10 years, all we get is one big grim disappointment. Either way, endings can be described as "Life sucks then you die". Can't say this is what I was expecting. Ironically, it turned out to be that what Bioware was to Mass Effect is what Reapers were to the galaxy in game. You could say it's hard to believe that developersInstead of an amazing finale to one of the best franchises in last 10 years, all we get is one big grim disappointment. Either way, endings can be described as "Life sucks then you die". Can't say this is what I was expecting. Ironically, it turned out to be that what Bioware was to Mass Effect is what Reapers were to the galaxy in game. You could say it's hard to believe that developers have dropped their quality bars so much, but after Dragon Age 2 and Old Republic, it was more or less predictable. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    Watching all these people come here and write these reviews about a game that has been out less than 10 hours. Writing as though they have even the slightest clue what they are talking about. The pure hatred coming from **** and other related places is just pathetic. This game is easily the best game released in the past few years, and I would say it in combination with ME and ME2 ratesWatching all these people come here and write these reviews about a game that has been out less than 10 hours. Writing as though they have even the slightest clue what they are talking about. The pure hatred coming from **** and other related places is just pathetic. This game is easily the best game released in the past few years, and I would say it in combination with ME and ME2 rates this trilogy the highest of any in my book. The Demo alone is considerably better than half the games that are rated higher from many of these people who are reviewing this game. Second is the fact that nearly every 0/10 review or 1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10 are simply speaking about the download center. A fact that was widely announced has little bearing on the storyline. They are a side quest as many would call it. If you don't choose to do it, nothing will be missed in the grand scheme of things. People are going out of their way to find reasons to dislike the game simply because they do not agree with a DLC. I mean honestly, $5 bucks? How about you buy one less drink at the bar, or one less coffee in the morning, and 'Ta-da!', you've done it you can now afford to pay for this absurd complaint. Here's a hypothetical (is actually the truth in sheeps clothing):
    Those that say "It shouldn't be a DLC since the game was released at the same time as it." If I developed a game and got it ready to be distributed; spoke with distributors and find out it'll take roughly 3 months to get it out. So I need to hand them a finished product to be duplicated a billion times and packaged and sent out. ... Sooooo great, what do I do now with the 90 days until release? Oh! I know I'll start developing Downloadable content. 90 days passes:

Ok, so I have 30 different download packs, but I REALLY like this one that i've been working on, in fact, I am going to make it available now since it deserves to be seen.

Publics reaction:
    HOW DARE YOU CHARGE US FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME?!?!

The logic behind this outrage is almost entirely based on pure ignorance. I hate to say it like that but it's true, this game would otherwise be rated 100/100 if there wasn't so many protesting things that don't even matter. $5 bucks guys.... $5 bucks. I could wander the streets collecting cans and gather that much in an hour. As for the game: I mentioned before the gameplay is amazing, the combat is so fluid in combination with the newer moves available in ME3(diving, etc..) The multi player itself could be sold as an independent game, hell I spent 50 or so hours just on the demo. There are several styles to play, story / rpg / action so you can choose just how much storyline or action you want out of your gaming experience. Seriously, these guys thought of it all! I don't want to throw in any spoilers, so just go out and get the game, you won't be dissapointed.
  57. Mar 6, 2012
    This game has been ruined by EA. The Bioware that made Mass Effect 1 and 2 is gone. Mass Effect 3 has been made to cater to the lowest common denominator. While the first one was a little rough around the edges, the second was perfect. Three however, is too far.

In terms of visuals, they are too dark, made to look like the current CoD games. This is an RPG, not an seasonal shooter.

Please EA, get your hands out of where they shouldn't be, and let game studios make games for their fans, not for your wallets.
  58. Mar 6, 2012
    Greedy people demanding 10 bucks for dayone dlc. That is not acceptable. For all paying customers is should have been free. Just like in ME2. Also, the RPG elements are very much cut down, making this game more COD-alike.
  59. Mar 18, 2012
    Utterly boring. The most boring game in a long time. Bioware has gone deeply downhill since EA's interference. Keep rushing games. Not much made any sense, surely not the ending.
  60. Mar 6, 2012
    So is Bioware even trying anymore. This game really is just a letdown for me. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a ton, but playing this game is really quite depressing. Everything seems just off. All of the animations are terrible, the voice acting is beyond horrendous. (Seriously I was cringing while listening to some parts.) And one of my biggest complaints is the release day DLC. What thatSo is Bioware even trying anymore. This game really is just a letdown for me. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a ton, but playing this game is really quite depressing. Everything seems just off. All of the animations are terrible, the voice acting is beyond horrendous. (Seriously I was cringing while listening to some parts.) And one of my biggest complaints is the release day DLC. What that essentially means is that they have they content out and ready and it could've been on the disk but whatever I'm sure people would love to spend TEN DOLLARS for a new ending.

Please don't waste your money on this game. It's almost as big of a let down as TOR which guess what. Was ruined by Bioware.
  61. Mar 7, 2012
    The day-one DLC makes this a 0/10 title. Under NO circumstances should it be okay for developers to release day-one DLC unless itâ
  62. Mar 7, 2012
    Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience'Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience' destroyed by awkward animations.

Try again without EA, Bioware.
  63. Mar 7, 2012
    PROS: - Shiny new cutscenes - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack - Better combat, particularly melee (plays like the melee in Dragon Age 2, one button does everything), improved powers - Smarter enemy AIs CONS: - One button does everything in combat - Ridiculously **** dialogue - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will sayPROS: - Shiny new cutscenes - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack - Better combat, particularly melee (plays like the melee in Dragon Age 2, one button does everything), improved powers - Smarter enemy AIs CONS: - One button does everything in combat - Ridiculously **** dialogue - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will say this much: EDI, and, this small segment of dialogue: Shepherd: I hope you're alright, Kaiden Kaiden: Are you flirting with me, Commander? This is literal dialogue and not a joke - Rubbish, rubbish, dialogue. Cringe worthy. Nearly all the time. Some characters do save the ****show, like Garrus. - They actually used a voice changer (blatantly obvious) to use less voice actors (if you don't believe me, once you get to the Citadel you will be able to hear it) - Rehashed animations from the last game (lack of innovation) -Filters, filters everywhere -Cheap emotional pulls and attempts at emotional manipulation EVERYWHERE. It's like they used this to replace bad writing. - SEVERELY LIMITED DIALOGUE OPTIONS. If I wanted to play a shooter, I would have. Two dialogue options? Most dialogues with no options whatsoever? Poor show. -Totally retconns the lore established in the previous games Overall this game shows a shocking lack of attention to detail and blatantly ignores what the fans wanted (contrary to what the developers claim all the time. No one wanted this). The voice acting is stiff and so is the animation. Complete lack of innovation and the only thing they improved was the fighting - to add to this, they even used well-known stock images as some of their sources and the copies are glaring - look up "winter on mars" and you should see what I mean, if you've beaten the game. They force sexuality on the player, and if you reject it then the characters hate yours. This series has ended on a bad note. For fans of the series, it sucks majorly. For people who want a shooter, play Call of Duty or Gears of War instead Expand
  64. Mar 23, 2012
    I wish that the company had been as loyal to the fans as I have been to the series. After all of the gameplay and all of the care I took playing and replaying the first two games, all I get are three crappy choises that all amount to basically the same thing? I won't be wasting any more money or time with Bioware games if they think this is acceptable.
  65. Mar 7, 2012
    The past year has not been of Bioware's finest. Dragon Age 2 and The Old Republic were both slated to be AAA titles and had some commercial success, but felt to me rather lackluster overall. Mass Effect 3 has proved to be just as lackluster. Whether it's the poorly decided business choice of adding day one DLC or the glaringly obvious retcons, it's hard to find much good to say aboutThe past year has not been of Bioware's finest. Dragon Age 2 and The Old Republic were both slated to be AAA titles and had some commercial success, but felt to me rather lackluster overall. Mass Effect 3 has proved to be just as lackluster. Whether it's the poorly decided business choice of adding day one DLC or the glaringly obvious retcons, it's hard to find much good to say about Mass Effect 3. The gameplay mechanics are much smoother and the multiplayer helps keep this game from getting too negative a review. It's not terrible, but a rather average effort. Expand
  66. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you haven't played the game, why are you giving it a review?

Having played ME1 & ME2, ME3 was a COMPLETE AND UTTER LETDOWN. My choices from previous games obviously didn't matter. Gameplay was only marginally refined over ME2. Character animation was still "off." Character development was only cursory in most cases. Story progression was there, to a point, then it simply dropped off the map. Did the writers forget this is the conclusion to an EPIC storyline? Having played the first two, I can honestly say I'd have been better off by 1) by not having played Me1 & ME2 or 2) not having bothered with ME3 and just read some fanfic. I'm not even concerned with the DLC issue (that wasn't an ideal situation, but meh). What disgusts me is the years and countless hours that went into this series, both in development and fanbase terms, and it was all for naught. If I had wanted all my money, time, effort and emotional investment to boil down into three ridiculous choices I'd have skipped ME3. I'd honestly have been better served by dusting off my DEM:GOTYE, reinstalling it, and playing it. Gay/Lesbian romance? Didn't bother me (and I'm straight), but shoehorning in a homosexual romance when none previously existed absolutely reeked of political scheming. The storyline was okay through most of the game, but was lacking in the depth and scope of its predecessors. For any other developer, this wouldn't be an issue, but for Bioware, known for its incredible writing, this is unforgivable. NONE of the endings ties into the Mass Effect series. It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to pass off laziness as quality work. I'm not asking for an ending where everyone lives and is holding hands, skipping through a meadow of daisies, singing "It's a Wonderful World." What I am asking for is some sort of thought process to be used. Who believed this was a good idea to shaft the fanbase/revenue-producer like this? I'm thoroughly disappointed with Mass Effect 3. This was a pitiful attempt to capitalize on two previous games (both incredible in their depth and scope) by half-stepping to the finish line...and I was suckered into the lie. Way to take an EPIC story/franchise and drive it straight into the ground. Obviously EA's influence has rubbed off. Shame on you Bioware. Shame on you.
  67. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the sublime perfection that was Mass Effect 2, this game was such a huge disappointment. For starters you're forced to play multiplayer in order to boost your "Galactic Readiness", a score used to determine how likely you are to succeed in defeating the Reapers (the main villians of the Mass Effect trilogy). Even though I completed every side mission I could find (some I could not finish due to bugs) it wasn't enough to get over 4000 needed for Shepard to survive (I was stuck at 3,800-odd). Another disappointment was the lack of returning characters from ME2. Most of the characters popped up during the course of the game, but there was very little chance to interact with them. Worse, the few characters that could be interacted with rarely had dialogue trees where you could choose what to say to them, instead the dialogue was entirely fixed. There were some nice moments, like the interactions with Joker and EDI, but overall this game disappoints compared to ME2. Finally, by far the biggest problem are the endings. At the end you are given the choice of three endings, but all of them are utterly terrible. As the conclusion to a trilogy, this is hugely disappointing. After all the blood, guts and tears the story deserved a much better ending than the ones offered. I would be willing to pay good money for Bioware to make a new ending and release it as DLC. SO DISAPPOINTING. :( Expand
  68. Mar 9, 2012
    Its an amazing game all the way up till the last 5 mins. I didn't think it was possible but we have an ending so bad that it ruins the entire series. I can't even think about playing any of the other ME games after watching this ending.

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins

The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4.
  69. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is simply amazing! Bio ware has done a terrific job with this final installment in the mass effect series. The first mission where the reapers are attacking earth is a thrilling and excellent way to start off the game.
  70. Mar 9, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this game is playable and I'm sure if you had no standards or simply didn't care you could pick up this game and have a midly enjoyable experience. BUT the atrocities EA and Bioware committed mean I cannot give this game a decent rating with a good conscience. So what is so bad about this game? Let me tell you:
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if you will) that decided to take this course I don't know, but releasing DLC on the day of release, particularly DLC which is important to the plot, at 1/6 the price of the game itself is unforgivable in of itself. It seems they are laughing in our face as we shell out money for something that should have been on the disc, available to everyone. It is obvious that it was done simply to milk as much money out of the fans as possible.
    2. Casualisation: The game was geared towards Call of Duty players in order to cash in on the series' success, while abandoning the loyal fanbase. Not much else to say here.
    3. Shoddy Writing: Many uninformed people think that the attacks on the Bioware employee Jennifer Hepler was simply a display of hate for the sake of hate. While they certainly did go overboard, it wasn't without good reason. She was the physical manifestation of the quality of writing coming from Bioware. Examples: Dialogue is awkward, the ending is notoriously bad, after seeing so many people die and killing so many himself, Sephard is emotianally effected by the death of a random kid above all. Overall you would expect something better from a Naruto fanfiction. 4. Laziness of Bioware: For a big budget, triple A game you would expect a certain level of effort from the developers. Bioware, however seemed to have taken shortcuts left, right and centre. There are images circulating the internet which demonstrate this quite well. For example, Copying a stock image for the portrait of a character who dies in the game, and copying another 7? year old image lying around in the internet for the ending.
    5. Ininspired Multiplayer: Another cash-in, Wave survival modes have been done to death, nowadays every game seems to have one. It seems this was added in to artificially extend the life of the game and make an excuse for future half-assed DLC releases.
    6. Gay Sex: people reading this may call 'Hurr durr homophobe" - but wait to read my reasoning. Homosexuality IS a sin. Being implemented in such as fashion acts to 'casualise' it, pressing on the impressionable 13 year old minds (whose uninformed mothers will be buying this game) that it is fine and acceptable. I do not hate **** I care about them, just as I do any other person. For this reason I oppose it.
    Even if this is an attempt to cash-in with the gay audience rather than a political agenda, it gets in the way of the average straight player and does not belong. I do not want to have gay passes made to me by my squadmates when I'm playing a game.
    7. Reviewers are sellouts: This goes for every major game release nowadays, but is absolutely appalling. While I'm not implying that EA is necessarily directly paying reviewers to give the game good reviews (not that I'd put it past them) there is certainly a feel that if you don't give it a good review the publisher early access to future releases. I have heard of cases where people have lost their job because they wrote how the felt rather than what they were told to write. This is why I'm writing this review in fact - to help get a bit of truth out.
    Instead of a proper, objective review we are fed tripe with 10/10 would play again bs.

Due to all these aformentioned problems with Mass Effect 3, I cannot take it seriously, thus it receives a score of 0/10. The only reason it has earned a 1 from me is because the Biodrone tears are absolutely delicious.
    Have a good day sirs.
  71. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass effect 3 a epic conclusion? More like a epic disappointment.
    I felt that the ending was a major slap in my face and leave a bitter taste
    in your mouth!
  72. Mar 10, 2012
    Awesome game. Loved the first two games, and ME3 does not disappoint. Easily a 10 / 10. All of the low scores are shocking. They must not have played the game, or did not play the first two games.
  73. Mar 10, 2012
    The game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The endingThe game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The ending is horrible and makes the whole story of Shepard from the first game to the third feel irrelevant. The games has lots of glitches and feels rushed and unpolished. Expand
  74. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending 1 : Die
    Ending 2 : Die
    Ending 3 : Die
    Seriously EA and Bioware? I really waited 2 years for such a pathetic ending? I'm feeling hollow here. I just wanna burn my N7 T-Shirt. What a sad day for RPG's. Choices have no influence... BECAUSE YOU DIE WHATEVER WHAT YOU DO. What a let down.
  75. Mar 11, 2012
    This is a Game that every moment i enjoying, one game with action and rpg´s that others want to copy.
    Beautiful envirnoments, Good story, Graphics, talking, and moments that are better that all action games in the last year.
  76. Mar 12, 2012
    First of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven'tFirst of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven't spent a $ on this game and everything u play is worth a 10 no metter what!!!Second i have to say that the game is really good!!The combat is great and gives u nice moments,the cinematics are beautiful and the decisions u take IN THIS GAME seem relevant in crucial moments...The script sometimes was rly boring but it had moments of excellence....I found the design very good and sometimes jaw-dropping.The graphics are those of ME2 with some better details maybe...So all and all is a very solid shooter but not a solid RPG (and i'm sorry to say this)....Side missions are rly good but u never get the sense of need to explore more because there is nothing too explore only scanning isnt enough.So it is a good shooter but a poor RPG!!!Third:The decisions of the previous games doesnt really matter in a big way and thats was a really big letdown for everybody i think...im not putting spoilers here but take my word on this.U feel really happy when u see that smthg u did in the previous games shows up,but that doesnt happen often and thats a big letdown too!!Fourth and most important thing: the ending.This is the best trilogy ever created with the worst ending.Dont get me wrong i liked the idea and that was my idea of a great ending but the execution of it was bad really bad and many people know what I'm talking about!!I'm a big fan of the series and have played the whole trilogy so i understand all the others who gave this game bad votes...The first day DLC is a scandal...And the ending is almost as scandalous....But after 1 night of thinking i have come up with my conclusion!!THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE...u would say why??Because they want more money and they want u to buy an another DLC that maybe will show what really happens when ME ends ;)!!Im sorry to say this and i would be disgusted if smthg like this happened!!Ultimately im judging this game on a ME rating scale...and that's a 7...if this game was a stand alone with a declared sequel it would be easily a 9 or 9.5!!Thank u for reading I'm sorry for my poor vocabulary but I'm not American nor British.Cheers to all!!! Expand
  77. Mar 11, 2012
    I'm extremely disappointed with the way that DLC has been handled with ME3. While some may argue that the DLC is supplemental and the game is complete without it, as a consumer I still feel like I'm being sold an incomplete product. I feel compelled to send a message to publishers and developers that some consumers won't stand for this. Its a pity, as I enjoyed ME1 and 2.
  78. Mar 12, 2012
    An entire game experience ruined by the last 15 minutes of the 3rd game the endings have no meaning what so ever. You just UNITED the entire galaxy against the reapers no matter the race or if synthetic or not and yet the ending is about how there will allways be war between synthetics and organics? wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf? there is 1 **** synthetic race that you just gave true SENTIENCE to andAn entire game experience ruined by the last 15 minutes of the 3rd game the endings have no meaning what so ever. You just UNITED the entire galaxy against the reapers no matter the race or if synthetic or not and yet the ending is about how there will allways be war between synthetics and organics? wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf? there is 1 **** synthetic race that you just gave true SENTIENCE to and they became the nearly as Awesome as Legion from it. Evry part of this game was epic except it started lacking more and more choices like we had in the previous games the part towards the ending was RUSHED allso you started noticing less and less to do before a priority mission well **** in the end it was just NEXT Priority mission. all in all my dissapointment with the ending was so big I was liturally furious for several hours it has ruined the best game i've played to date. How VERY sad on biowares part that they've failed so Insanely. Expand
  79. Mar 12, 2012
    I pre-ordered this POS. I love the story and the Lore of this universe. I have never felt so cheated as I did when I found out about the Day 1 DLC. When EA admitted that the CORE aspects of the DLC had been integrated in the the game prior to certification, I wanted to return the game for a refund. I feel like EA took advantage of my loyalty and attempted to exploit it. So uncool EA..I pre-ordered this POS. I love the story and the Lore of this universe. I have never felt so cheated as I did when I found out about the Day 1 DLC. When EA admitted that the CORE aspects of the DLC had been integrated in the the game prior to certification, I wanted to return the game for a refund. I feel like EA took advantage of my loyalty and attempted to exploit it. So uncool EA.. Soo... UnCool Expand
  80. Mar 13, 2012
    Being the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexsceneBeing the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexscene (seriously, do journalists actually believe the crap they are putting out??). It is simply because the current ending (NOT endingS, mind you) makes absolutely no sense. Why is there no difference between the endings? WHY doesn't my choices make any difference what so ever. In a stroke of sheer genious BW implements transfer of savegames which all amounts to a **** nothing come the absurd end. I never write reviews but I love this game to damn much to not make my voice heard. This game doesn't deserve this, it should have top ratings. Expand
  81. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I find anyone giving this game a 9 or 10 mind boggling. That ending was completely trite, trash, garbage, the **** worst ending to any game I've ever played. A huge disappointment. It should immediately have 2 points knocked off just for that, and that's being EXTREMELY generous. The game was glorious, I loved every minute of it, until those last 5. The gameplay was good, I loved the story and the action and then... biggest god damn let down of the century. Unless I dunno, you missed out on the rapture or something oops that still hasn't happened. Anyway. Anyone giving this game a 10 either hasn't beaten it, is fan wanking, or is a troll. I absolutely loved the series, easily one of my favorites and then they slap me in the face with the first day DLC which is already on the disc and an ending so abysmal it's forcing me to knock it down to a god damn 3. What they did right, game play was good, I enjoyed the animations, MOST of the story was thoroughly enjoyable and evoked emotion, I was legitimately distraught at the deaths of Mordin, Thane, and Legion, and getting to romance Steven Cortez and Kaiden Alenko as Male Shepard.

And then... they **** it ALL up, in 5 minutes. Took me over 30 hours to beat the game, all that I loved, and they **** it up in 5 god damn minutes. How is that even possible, how could they have gone so **** wrong. And honestly I don't even care that Shepard dies, I care about the **** trash where we see 3 people get off the Normandy in the aftermath and oops who the **** cares about all the rest. What the **** happened to all the people we spent learning about, building attachments too, we not only are forced to watch Shepard die with that bogus pick your poison ending but we get no closure for more than half of the characters we spent collecting and working with for the preceding games only to become side notes in this one.
  82. Mar 13, 2012
    Was an amazing trilogy. Was an amazing game. It had it's faults, but was greater then the sum of it's parts. Foolish spoiled kids need to stop scaring game developers away from making games like this, instead of of CoD rehashed crap.
  83. Mar 22, 2012
    This game is brilliant. The changes made to the combat and overall feel of the game from Mass Effect 2 makes the game almost perfect. The story is great, and I also didn't mind the ending, like many others do. I didn't give it 10, because it seems like the dialogue towards the end does not really fit everywhere. Something is just not right. Other than this though, the game is brilliant!
  84. Mar 14, 2012
    I thought the game was awesome up until the end. I hating the ending and I think BW can do much better. That said, the triology was still one of the most awesome gaming experiences that I've ever had and will be much better if they change the ending. While I think the real score I would rate this is about a 7 or 8 I am giving it a 10 based on the rest of the game and previous games and toI thought the game was awesome up until the end. I hating the ending and I think BW can do much better. That said, the triology was still one of the most awesome gaming experiences that I've ever had and will be much better if they change the ending. While I think the real score I would rate this is about a 7 or 8 I am giving it a 10 based on the rest of the game and previous games and to try and offset the other people trolling on here that are obviously marking the score low because of the ending. I think BW deserves a fair score.â Expand
  85. Mar 15, 2012
    This game was awful. It was like watching one of those summer blockbusters (avatar the last airbender for example) where it's got all the elements of something you should really like, but it's just really poorly executed, and the ending is god awful. Don't buy this game, don't support this developer, they've just been going downhill since they were sold to Electronic Arts.
  86. Mar 15, 2012
    Fantastic game in almost all senses of the word. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, but then it all gets ruined by an awful ending. I mean bad. If you do buy it, stop it right after Shepard talks to his crew before the final push and don't go further.
  87. Mar 16, 2012
    Breaks cannon, massive plot holes, incomplete game. While this is the final chapter in one of my most cherished series, there is very little that remains after a botched ending that can be considered good.
  88. Mar 18, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, ME3 is an AMAZING GAME! It's just the ending that pisses me off. I've spent five years on this franchise working hard making all the right choices in order to have a closure that suits my expectations! However, the ending made me feel as if none of that mattered! I've lost interest in continuing the game or even replay it anywhere in the near future. I was alsoDon't get me wrong, ME3 is an AMAZING GAME! It's just the ending that pisses me off. I've spent five years on this franchise working hard making all the right choices in order to have a closure that suits my expectations! However, the ending made me feel as if none of that mattered! I've lost interest in continuing the game or even replay it anywhere in the near future. I was also frustrated by BW's Day-One DLC policy! It made me feel cheep! As if I'm nothing but money-milking machine for the Big Gaming Kahunas. THE ENDING MUST BE CORRECTED! BW is a great company that makes great RPG's. I'm confident that they won't disappoint their fans for long. Maybe! Expand
  89. Mar 29, 2012
    I loved this game, every minute of it (YES EVEN THE END). The game definitely doesn't deserve the harsh reviews these users have given it. Many top game reviewers have given it a high score, and so unless you think EA has paid all of them off and yet no one has managed to expose this, I think it's safe to assume this game is damn good.

Screw the trolls, come see me.
  90. Mar 20, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoy the Mass Effect series and I absolutely could not wait to see what was in store for the galaxy with the foreboding presence of the imminent Reaper invasion and all out extermination of all the organic races. This game had so much building up, so much hype, and at first glance all was going so well...until the ending. First off I do say this game has many improvementsI thoroughly enjoy the Mass Effect series and I absolutely could not wait to see what was in store for the galaxy with the foreboding presence of the imminent Reaper invasion and all out extermination of all the organic races. This game had so much building up, so much hype, and at first glance all was going so well...until the ending. First off I do say this game has many improvements from ME2 (storywise and gameplay), I love it how there's more RPG element (leveling, skill trees) and the weapon modding was a very nice welcome which allows you to tailor your guns to different situations. I loved all the cameo appearances from squad mates past and present as well as other characters encountered in past games and including DLC which was very nice. The controls actually seemed a bit worse than 2, I've died so many times due to squad mates being in the way and non-responsive controls. It got really irritating moving from cover to cover or peaking out and being punished for the game having a good 1-2 second delay. I noticed that Shepard can now vault or tumble like Gears of War (I forget if he could do that in 2...) and it seems like Bioware really likes Gears. The galaxy map was just about the same as 2's minus scanning for minerals/resources and having a set amount of probes. However, because the Reapers are out and about it can make scanning annoying. I also liked it how you didn't have a billion squad mates to pick from like 2, and I'm glad to see 3 took a notion of quality vs. quantity. As for the story, I could feel from the start of the game how dark the situation was, and how close the galaxy was to coming closer and closer to failure and ultimate extinction. It got a little irritating dealing with Cerberus a good half of the game, I mean really who is the focus here? Cerberus or the Reapers? Although it was interesting to hear about the humans fighting against themselves as opposed to working together. I also liked making choices to bring the other races together. I thought the story flowed very well, much better than 2's "out of nowhere" plot. Everything just kept building up, but then the ending came... Yes, I do have to hop on the growing band wagon and agree that the ending to ME3 was really not that good. I don't have a problem with the three choices you are presented with at the end and that Shepard dies (so sad and sucks he dies!) but I have a major problem with how short the ending is and the lack of closure on all the supporting characters and the general fate and conclusion of the Mass Effect universe. Not to mention I was also greatly disappointed to see, or NOT see, how my preparations for the final assault didn't even make a difference. I was fairly certain I heard Admiral Hackett go from saying, "We're bogged down" to "We're about even" so I figured maybe this would impact the final mission or ending, but it didn't! So did I make all those choices and finish all those side quests for nothing? I felt nothing but emptiness when the game ended, it reminded me of early reviews of Halo 2 and how many reviewers commented on how the ending left you wanting more. Unfortunately for this series there is no more to be had as it's the last to the trilogy. I find it interesting hearing that the overall dissatisfaction with ME3's ending by many, MANY fans has been well heard, and some has gone so far as to raise a charity to bring awareness and change to 3's ending! Of course Bioware is listening but so far they're saying they have no plans to alter the ending but to only support 3 with future DLC. (Sigh...) I really want to rate this game a 10 as it was enjoyable to play, but the ending just ruins it, especially since your choices and quests during the game have no effect. Because of that, I'm actually having a hard time playing through the game again because I now know whatever I do on the side won't make a difference and won't reward me with extra cutscenes, dialogue, etc. I almost wanna rate this game a 7 but I think that would be a bit steep. Had this game had a perfect ending I would have given it a 10. But that bad ending just creates one hell of a void that really just hampers everything else this game has to offer, and I say all this because this game is an RPG and RPGs are supposed to have critical character and plot development. Overall, good game but not what I had in mind to close such a wonderful series. Here's to hoping future DLC will improve what faults there are. Expand
  91. Mar 20, 2012
    My playthrough lasted 36 hours and 25 minutes. 36 hours and 20 minutes were fun, challenging, and touching then with the final five minutes this game committed narrative suicide and the terrible ending was all the worse for the greatness of this series. Endings matter especially in mass effect and this one was so bad that if it is not fixed through some dlc I just don't know if I everMy playthrough lasted 36 hours and 25 minutes. 36 hours and 20 minutes were fun, challenging, and touching then with the final five minutes this game committed narrative suicide and the terrible ending was all the worse for the greatness of this series. Endings matter especially in mass effect and this one was so bad that if it is not fixed through some dlc I just don't know if I ever have the heart to play another bioware game again. (And I've played everything bioware has ever released.) Bad ending ruined great franchise. Expand
  92. Mar 20, 2012
    This game obviously doesn't deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but to say that the ending was extremely disappointing is an understatement. At the game's end, I felt like I didn't really have a choice at all, despite what was advertised by Bioware and what consistently occurred throughout all three of the titles in the series. I think it's apparent that they are eventually going to make anThis game obviously doesn't deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but to say that the ending was extremely disappointing is an understatement. At the game's end, I felt like I didn't really have a choice at all, despite what was advertised by Bioware and what consistently occurred throughout all three of the titles in the series. I think it's apparent that they are eventually going to make an alternate ending with more choices, as they are going to lose a ton of money in DLC if they don't. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this was their plan all along, to get more people to buy a better ending as DLC. If the DLC costs anything, I'm done with Bioware, but a free DLC alternate ending with some actual choices will let me forgive them because, besides the ending, this is a good game. Expand
  93. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closureOne of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closure in the relationships made, whether between LIs or squad mates. They never come to fruition, and there is no resolution. ME3 was advertised to have a multitude of outcomes based upon players' choices. That's what originally made the Mass Effect franchise such a great success. The finale should have raised the player to great heights or taken the player to despair... and everywhere between based upon the consequences of the player's decisions throughout the entirety of the series(Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between). BioWare should have finished their remarkable work on the strengths that it was built on. Choice and consequence. It seemed like a given, but... You leave the game feeling complete and utter disappointment. It is truly remarkable how an ending can be so profoundly and remarkably bad. It truly destroys the franchise entirely. This is not an easy thing to say, as I've loved the series from the start. There is no replay value at all. BioWare has ruined years of work in the last ten minutes on what should have been one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It will be a study in the future on how not to end a story franchise. Expand
  94. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game. Very emotional game i almost cried at some times and very well done dialogue once again. Everything is right about this game, all the classes get to use assault and sniper rifles along with shotguns. This game is so good until the ending. The ending is sooo bad and out of place that this game was a set back for me. BioWare needs to do something fast before they lose there loyal fans.
  95. Mar 26, 2012
    I don't understand all the negative reviews on this site, mostly based around the day one DLC. If you don't want it, don't buy it. The industry is using day 1 DLC as an extra way of making some revenue, and if that is what has to be done to stop price increases on games, then fine. I did download the DLC as I am such a big ME fan that I will bite the hand off the developers like a hungryI don't understand all the negative reviews on this site, mostly based around the day one DLC. If you don't want it, don't buy it. The industry is using day 1 DLC as an extra way of making some revenue, and if that is what has to be done to stop price increases on games, then fine. I did download the DLC as I am such a big ME fan that I will bite the hand off the developers like a hungry lion for anything ME related. Admittedly the mission that comes with the pack is short, but the cutscenes included with it are amazing and give some real insight into the last days of the protheans in their war against the reapers. Plus Jarik seems to be a really interesting character with a kickass particle rifle which shepard can also use. My only advice with this weapon is not to let it run out of energy (make sure you take your finger off the trigger before that so it recharges).

I am something like 7 hours into the single player and have put 2-3 hours into the multiplayer which I have also found to be great fun.

Unfortunately due to losing my saves a while ago I am not in a position to play through all 3 games with the same character yet so I have had to import my ME2 soldier for my first ME3 playthrough but that's ok as all it means is I get to spend more time playing one of my favourite game series of all time! Not a loss in my book.

This review is based on where I am in the game right now so I can't comment on the endings yet. I am interested to see if is bad as everyone is making out though. Even if it is, I have faith that bioware will not disappoint again with their solution.
  96. Mar 23, 2012
    Not only did Bioware decide to appeal to the greater masses by giving up the individuality and writing of the previous two games in the Mass Effect installment, but they have given up their talent. Mass Effect 3 reduces game choices to simple 2-decision dialogue bubbles, forces a multiplayer element into the game in order to get the "good" ending, and blatantly plagiarizes artwork fromNot only did Bioware decide to appeal to the greater masses by giving up the individuality and writing of the previous two games in the Mass Effect installment, but they have given up their talent. Mass Effect 3 reduces game choices to simple 2-decision dialogue bubbles, forces a multiplayer element into the game in order to get the "good" ending, and blatantly plagiarizes artwork from both a stock image site and Deviant Art. Notably, the former was used, (albeit poorly photoshopped), as the reveal of the identity of a character that had been left faceless for the entire series. The voice talent of many of the prominent figures from previous games are also notably absent, leaving one to wonder if Bioware had decided to cut corners, or if they just gave up. Enemy variety is reduced to a fraction of what it was before, weapons are scarce as ever to come by, and one strange element is how ammunition is once again in the form of bullets, when in previous games you had an unlimited amount. This is the future after all, isn't it? Day-one Downloadable Content is also present, which is senseless and blatant greed on the developer's part. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that there was also DLC in the previous two installments, and a large portion of Mass Effect 3's character development is obtainable by playing those. The game is forced, as well as your decisions in it, unless you decide to fork the dough over to Bioware for the final installment in the series. If you're unhappy with the endings, which are all the same save for a different color of firework, don't worry! Bioware's publicly apologized and is working on a new ending. (Yes, you read that right.) Expand
  97. Mar 26, 2012
    An amazing game, absolutely loved the gameplay. The ending certainly left a lot to be answered, but it didn't ruin the rest of the experience for me. Maybe I should hold off on judgment until after the coming changes are made, when I would likely be able to give this thing a 10/10, because that's what the rest of the game deserves. It seems crazy to me that this thing is getting such aAn amazing game, absolutely loved the gameplay. The ending certainly left a lot to be answered, but it didn't ruin the rest of the experience for me. Maybe I should hold off on judgment until after the coming changes are made, when I would likely be able to give this thing a 10/10, because that's what the rest of the game deserves. It seems crazy to me that this thing is getting such a wide range of ratings, considering the ending was really only the weak link here. And even with that I can't see anyone in their right mind giving this thing any worse than a 6/10. I think some of the angrier fans should have let themselves cool off a bit before rushing to bash this thing in their review. Expand
  98. Mar 27, 2012
    ME 1 was smashing. Story, characters, everything. ME 2 was poor. Story, characters, everything. ME 3 is disappointing.
    Hey guys, isn't it time to stop building dumb arenas? It's the ADULT gaming era, ain't it? Conclusion, ME is a license that won't stay in my mind as one of the best ever (which ME 1 made me look forward to).
  99. Mar 29, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, whichI have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, which clearly was an important part of the game to begin with, and you have one of the worst sequels in RPG history Expand

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.