5.6

1. Mar 11, 2012
    This game is almost perfect the story line the choices the friendships the relationships the cultures all of it is more than I could every hope for this game would be a perfect 10/10 if it weren't for one thing...The ending.
    My advice to anyone who is still playing the game when the citadel open turn off your console because this ending is a cancer to a perfect thing just turn it off and
    come up with your own ending because chances are it will be better than this steaming pile of #$@&. Expand
  2. Mar 19, 2012
    This game is a true masterpiece. Even the multiplayer is sleek and done well. All the negative reviews are from people who complain about the ending, but truly don't understand it. They believe they are entitled to what they want when they buy the game but they are very wrong. Buy this game it is fully worth every penny spent
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let first say that I am a HUGE fan of this series, it was an amazing exploration of concept of making choices and how those choices shape the game you play. It was a true Space Opera that had characters that for the first time, made me 'feel' for them. I cared what happened to these characters, kudos to the voice actors for literally breathing life into these great characters. This game, allowed me to craft a character that made the impossible possible...s/he was a character that was a SOLDIER who NEVER gave up...who always strives to do what it right. This game allowed us to make choices and those choices affected each of the previous game's endings. I was hoping for more of the same in ME3. For the most part, I got it...however, at the very end of the game...the tone of the game changed. The Shepard I had roll-played up until the last 10 minutes of the game, ceased to exist, and what I was left with was a doppelganger...it looked like my Shepard, but this character gave up. This Shepard did NOT fight until the end...This Shepard 'accepted' fate. The last 10 minutes of this game was so out of character, so artistically different from what came before it, then I lost my immersion. It was so out of sync with what I had played before that all I was left with was a WTF in my mind eye. I found that I did not want to even finish the game out. These last minutes felt like they belonged to another game entirely. There were so many plot holes that the entire ending sequence felt unpolished, rushed, and tacked on. I swore I could see the gum, duct tape, and baling wire holding things together. I can understand artistic license to change things as you see fit...but this? It was thematically different enough that for me, I could not believe that this had been approved. THESE last 10 minutes of the game, changed what would have been an easy 9 score from me to a 1. Disappointment doesn't even come close to the feelings I had upon the completion of the game...and the Stargazer was also and odd choice. Why couldn't I get scenes showing where the rest of my crew went? How about a scene honoring Shepard for what they did for the Galaxy? This ending ruins this 3rd game, and nearly ruins the entire trilogy...I cannot give it a score higher than a 1. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Brilliant end to a great trilogy. It's all about great characters, story, graphics and an epic movie like feeling. The gameplay is still quite good, but will never compare to the rest of the elements.
  5. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have loved the Mass Effect Series from day one. The first Mass Effect was a masterpiece. The second one built even more on to that solid frame. Mass Effect 3 was just a step back in the series. The gameplay was fun and I did enjoy the interactions with former and current squad members (R.I.P Mordin and Thane). This game however just ruined the entire with its ending. The first reason is that your decisions over the entire series means nothing in the end. It all boils down to three choices. After all that hard work I put into the entire series I felt like it didn't matter. Next the ending makes no damn sense. It so far out there I felt blind sided. As a Mass Effect fan I feel betrayed by Bioware for making this game and honestly I think EA is what ruined it. EA has ruined the Mass Effect series and they are ruining the gaming industry as a whole. EA and Bioware owes everyone who bought this game an apology. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    Bad ending to the series, even worse the developers are charging for day 1 dlc. could have waited another month if it meant getting my full game. Some design of the game was alittle off and some voice acting was very cheap
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    ME3 is an abomination in comparison to its predecessors, it is sloppily made and poorly written and even has scenery proven by users to have been pulled off of google search ( one of the main characters Tali Zorah proven to have been a poorly photoshopped version of a stock photo). This game should have been aborted, the dialogue options are pants on head retarded and the combat is hindered by poor controls and bugs. Couple all this with $860 dollars worth of DLC (as well as a DLC ending that is the only one that doesnt absolutely suck) and we have a game that is better off left pirated or not bought at all. The endings are so bad that if you are a true fan of the mass effect series you would stop at 2 since the ending of ME3 is full of plot holes and forced endings that are supposed to be "so sad and edgy". The story of ME3 can be seen identically in games over a decade old such as Dues ex and Star Control. This is horrible for a triple A game released in 2012. Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    Best game in my favorite gameseries of all time. there are truly few games whose story has a real soul to it. I laughed cried and often found myself just sitting there smiling at what happened at the screen. And for me it simply does not get any better.
  9. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The endings are all massively disappointing. Your options seem to kill almost everyone, and the way the mass relays react to the energy surge seems to show them blowing up regardless of the option you pick. Shephard dies no matter how well you prepare or what you do. The galaxy at war map never **** changes. It's always "offline". Your readiness never shifts from 50%. So yeah, thanks Bioware. Thanks for building up such a great game and then giving me a rushed and **** ending.

All of those complaints said and out of the way. I was really happy with the game. Enjoying everything that happened for the most part. Some of the dialogue was goofy at times and I don't mean in a sappy way. I mean it was showing poor writing. Whoever approved these endings needs to be **** fired. I would give this game a 9/10 if the endings weren't so terrible and half-assed.
  10. Jul 8, 2012
    Poor gameplay, decision taking, writing and innovation. The saving of the game are probably the graphics, which when weighted against the bad things of the game, don't seem to get the score up. No entitlement in the decisions you take. Bad and uninspired characters that decline the quality of the storytelling. A really bad game, overall.
  11. Mar 17, 2012
    Waiting for the finale to the epic trilogy that is mass effect was agonizing. All the choices and hours invested over the past two games (and 5 years) were promised to carry over to the final game in a summation of our actions, good and bad, leading up to this point. This promise was completely broken as the ending played out and the obvious disregard for said promise was thrown out the window. Instead, you are presented with three choices that are all entirely too similar, rife with plot holes and inconsistencies that would make the Bush administration blush. Major decisions throughout the series were ignored, leaving the player to have no real reason to agonize over the decisions in the first place. We are not entitled, whiny gamers, but simply gamers disappointed with a promise that was not kept. Bioware, make it right. Expand
  12. Mar 17, 2012
    Great Game, except the ending. The ending wasn't that horrible, it has definitely been exaggerated in how bad it was, but I feel like they could have done better. Still worth the money though.
  13. Mar 7, 2012
    Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring, combat is about the same, hardly any improvements, and explore-able environments have completely disappeared. This game is a giant joke. Personally, I'm pretending that Mass Effect 1 and 2 are true to the series, and 3 never happened. This is what the Crystal Skull movie did to the Indiana Jones series, it raped it. Expand
  14. Apr 3, 2012
    Overall one of the best rpgs ever created. No other series or game has forced me to sit there and think about the consequences of my decisions like this one. I even spent 20 minutes explaining the backstory of a decision to my girlfriend to get her opinion on what was the right thing to do. No matter what the haters of the ending say, they all played the game to the ending for a reason. They loved the series and enjoyed this game enough to see it's conclusion. The action points are fun and tense, the return of multiple previous teammates is entertaining, even the resource gathering mini-game from previous entries has been further improved to not make it so boring/repetitive. Overall, this game is an improvement in every area from the previous entries.
    As for the ending, I think lots of people are confusing anger at the ending vs. not having multiple endings. I believe the presented ending is well written and a nice conclusion to the series. I won't argue that there are some portions of the ending that are not well explained but I leave that up to Bioware to explore in future DLC and Mass Effect releases. However most people seem to be upset because no matter what you've done in the previous games, it minimally affects the outcome. This is a valid complaint but not one that should earn the scorn and purposefully low ratings this game has received.
    As for the multiplayer, I found it to be entertaining but ultimately very repetitive with later difficulty levels being set a little too high. The baseball card pack way of upgrading your gear is good in that it keeps you coming back for more and prevents you from obtaining and maxing out the best guns too early. However I swear that they purposely coded it so that you don't receive upgrades to guns you actually use. This can lead to grinding and frustration as you attempt to get the one gun/upgrade that your pining for. Added to this frustration is the difficulty of the gold difficulty levels. Gold difficulty is set up so that it can only be beat in one of two ways. Method one: obtain 3 dedicated friends, you all level your characters to max level, and then you all obtain the maximum level in the best guns in the game. This will give you less than a 50% chance to beat gold. Method two: One person goes as a specific race of a specific class, you fight a specific enemy in a specific spot on a specific level, and you manipulate the game design based on the abilities of that one class. This will give you a 75% chance of beating gold. Since the first method requires the highest levels of the best guns you're pigeon-holed into doing the second method so many times you get burnt out until you don't want to play anymore. So a good first attempt at multiplayer but definitely needs work.
  15. Mar 7, 2012
    My earlier review was removed... I don't know why, it contained no spoilers, profanities, hate speech, or anything that would violate Metacritics strict terms and conditions.

I am only guilty of giving this game a 10 out of 10. Because it is another excellent addition to BioWares already incredible franchise!
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    After spending somewhere around 25 hours getting through Mass Effect 3's single-player campaign, there was one question I couldn't quite answer: why is this game called Far Cry? The sequel, developed by Bioware Montreal, retains nearly nothing from Crytek's 2004 original or from the Xbox and Xbox 360's Instincts and Predator derivations. The story doesn't carry over, the characters aren't the same, there's no mention at all of Jack Carver, there are no mutagens, no feral powers, and no Trigens. Instead, it's a struggle between warring factions, called the APR and UFLL, in an unnamed African nation.

The game also doesn't give players a pre-determined protagonist. Instead, you select a character to play as, and the rest of the cast appear in the game world around you as friendly NPCs, called buddies, who you can choose to work with. Things begin with a simple tutorial section, introducing you to basic first-person shooter controls and the game's premise. Your main goal is to find The Jackal, a menacing character that supplies weapons to the APR and UFLL to keep lit the fires of conflict.

The point is, with this kind of setup, it's odd that the Far Cry name was even used at all, other than for its obvious name recognition value. Pushing that issue aside and accepting that this is basically a totally different game, you'll find there's quite a bit to like.

There are few direct analogues for Mass Effect 3, as it truly is an open-world shooter. It's a stark contrast to Infinity Ward's unrelentingly linear Call of Duty games, and offers more freedom than what Crytek wound up delivering post-Far Cry with its pseudo-linear Crysis franchise. Perhaps GSC Game World's S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is the best comparison, though even that game differs, because where it leaned more toward role-playing elements, Mass Effect 3 is almost all about shooting. There are still ways to upgrade your character, but the focus here is most definitely on action.

For instance, there's no inventory in the game, just four weapon slots. There's one for your machete, one for a sidearm or accessory, one for a primary weapon (assault rifle, SMG, sniper rifle, shotgun), and one for a special weapon (rocket launcher, mortar, flamethrower). All these weapon types aren't available at the game's beginning; you must unlock them by performing side-quests for weapons vendors located around the world. Much of the game works like this, letting you unlock little bits and pieces here and there to make your journeys across the grassy plains, mountains, and jungles of the world more convenient, and make the process of killing a little easier.

Outside of main quests there are several types of distractions for you. You can do the weapon vendor quests, which always involve hunting down a convoy and disabling it. The rewards are good, as you get access to more weapons, but the quests themselves can get repetitive. There are also quests you can get from buddies you find around the game world and assignments from ominously garbled voices transmitted over electrical towers. Ultimately, they all boil down to pretty much the same thing: go to a location and kill a guy, blow something up, steal something, or force someone to do something they don't want to and then kill them. And if you're particularly obsessive compulsive, you can spend plenty of hours tracking down the multitude of hidden briefcases which contain varying quantities of diamonds. You'll also occasionally have to quest for medicine since, surprise, your character has malaria. While the premise of a sick protagonist seems like it could have had some interesting implications, the way it's implemented here makes it seem like more of a nuisance than anything else.

Some of the main quests can be fairly interesting, but usually only if you choose to work with an NPC buddy. Whichever buddy you've unlocked that likes you best will give you a call after main missions are acquired, offering an alternate method of completion. Sometimes it screws over the faction you're working for but ultimately involves the same infiltrate / kill mechanic used in most of the other quests. More rarely you'll get to do something totally different, like using a warhead to drop a bridge on a barge instead of having to infiltrate the barge and killing a target on it. Using buddies like this to complete missions in different ways is also to your benefit, as it gradually upgrades all the safe houses in the game world with ammo stashes, health supplies, and eventually vehicles.
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    This has been some ride, since Mass Effect first grabbed my attention. I have played through every bit of the first two games, and loved every minute. Now the final comes, and I feel equal parts excited and sad. Sad that it will have to end, but thrilled to get a chance to play it. And it does not disappoint. The emotion - always the strong point of Mass Effect - is brought to another level. The characters that I have come to care so much about are even more fleshed out. And the goosebumps at certain points of the game...well, I won't spoil. Just get it. Expand
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Almost no content, one ending, bland dialog, repetitive and incredibly easy combat and animations that look like the game came out in 2007 make this game look rushed. Do not buy this for any reason other than to see what NOT to do when making a game.
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    Instead of an amazing finale to one of the best franchises in last 10 years, all we get is one big grim disappointment. Either way, endings can be described as "Life sucks then you die". Can't say this is what I was expecting. Ironically, it turned out to be that what Bioware was to Mass Effect is what Reapers were to the galaxy in game. You could say it's hard to believe that developers have dropped their quality bars so much, but after Dragon Age 2 and Old Republic, it was more or less predictable. Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Watching all these people come here and write these reviews about a game that has been out less than 10 hours. Writing as though they have even the slightest clue what they are talking about. The pure hatred coming from **** and other related places is just pathetic. This game is easily the best game released in the past few years, and I would say it in combination with ME and ME2 rates this trilogy the highest of any in my book. The Demo alone is considerably better than half the games that are rated higher from many of these people who are reviewing this game. Second is the fact that nearly every 0/10 review or 1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10 are simply speaking about the download center. A fact that was widely announced has little bearing on the storyline. They are a side quest as many would call it. If you don't choose to do it, nothing will be missed in the grand scheme of things. People are going out of their way to find reasons to dislike the game simply because they do not agree with a DLC. I mean honestly, $5 bucks? How about you buy one less drink at the bar, or one less coffee in the morning, and 'Ta-da!', you've done it you can now afford to pay for this absurd complaint. Here's a hypothetical (is actually the truth in sheeps clothing):
    Those that say "It shouldn't be a DLC since the game was released at the same time as it." If I developed a game and got it ready to be distributed; spoke with distributors and find out it'll take roughly 3 months to get it out. So I need to hand them a finished product to be duplicated a billion times and packaged and sent out. ... Sooooo great, what do I do now with the 90 days until release? Oh! I know I'll start developing Downloadable content. 90 days passes:

Ok, so I have 30 different download packs, but I REALLY like this one that i've been working on, in fact, I am going to make it available now since it deserves to be seen.

Publics reaction:
    HOW DARE YOU CHARGE US FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME?!?!

The logic behind this outrage is almost entirely based on pure ignorance. I hate to say it like that but it's true, this game would otherwise be rated 100/100 if there wasn't so many protesting things that don't even matter. $5 bucks guys.... $5 bucks. I could wander the streets collecting cans and gather that much in an hour. As for the game: I mentioned before the gameplay is amazing, the combat is so fluid in combination with the newer moves available in ME3(diving, etc..) The multi player itself could be sold as an independent game, hell I spent 50 or so hours just on the demo. There are several styles to play, story / rpg / action so you can choose just how much storyline or action you want out of your gaming experience. Seriously, these guys thought of it all! I don't want to throw in any spoilers, so just go out and get the game, you won't be dissapointed.
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    This game has been ruined by EA. The Bioware that made Mass Effect 1 and 2 is gone. Mass Effect 3 has been made to cater to the lowest common denominator. While the first one was a little rough around the edges, the second was perfect. Three however, is too far.

In terms of visuals, they are too dark, made to look like the current CoD games. This is an RPG, not an seasonal shooter.

Please EA, get your hands out of where they shouldn't be, and let game studios make games for their fans, not for your wallets.
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    Greedy people demanding 10 bucks for dayone dlc. That is not acceptable. For all paying customers is should have been free. Just like in ME2. Also, the RPG elements are very much cut down, making this game more COD-alike.
  23. Mar 18, 2012
    Utterly boring. The most boring game in a long time. Bioware has gone deeply downhill since EA's interference. Keep rushing games. Not much made any sense, surely not the ending.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    So is Bioware even trying anymore. This game really is just a letdown for me. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a ton, but playing this game is really quite depressing. Everything seems just off. All of the animations are terrible, the voice acting is beyond horrendous. (Seriously I was cringing while listening to some parts.) And one of my biggest complaints is the release day DLC. What that essentially means is that they have they content out and ready and it could've been on the disk but whatever I'm sure people would love to spend TEN DOLLARS for a new ending.

Please don't waste your money on this game. It's almost as big of a let down as TOR which guess what. Was ruined by Bioware.
  25. Mar 7, 2012
    The day-one DLC makes this a 0/10 title. Under NO circumstances should it be okay for developers to release day-one DLC unless itâ
  26. Mar 7, 2012
    Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience' destroyed by awkward animations.

Try again without EA, Bioware.
  27. Mar 7, 2012
    PROS: - Shiny new cutscenes - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack - Better combat, particularly melee (plays like the melee in Dragon Age 2, one button does everything), improved powers - Smarter enemy AIs CONS: - One button does everything in combat - Ridiculously **** dialogue - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will say this much: EDI, and, this small segment of dialogue: Shepherd: I hope you're alright, Kaiden Kaiden: Are you flirting with me, Commander? This is literal dialogue and not a joke - Rubbish, rubbish, dialogue. Cringe worthy. Nearly all the time. Some characters do save the ****show, like Garrus. - They actually used a voice changer (blatantly obvious) to use less voice actors (if you don't believe me, once you get to the Citadel you will be able to hear it) - Rehashed animations from the last game (lack of innovation) -Filters, filters everywhere -Cheap emotional pulls and attempts at emotional manipulation EVERYWHERE. It's like they used this to replace bad writing. - SEVERELY LIMITED DIALOGUE OPTIONS. If I wanted to play a shooter, I would have. Two dialogue options? Most dialogues with no options whatsoever? Poor show. -Totally retconns the lore established in the previous games Overall this game shows a shocking lack of attention to detail and blatantly ignores what the fans wanted (contrary to what the developers claim all the time. No one wanted this). The voice acting is stiff and so is the animation. Complete lack of innovation and the only thing they improved was the fighting - to add to this, they even used well-known stock images as some of their sources and the copies are glaring - look up "winter on mars" and you should see what I mean, if you've beaten the game. They force sexuality on the player, and if you reject it then the characters hate yours. This series has ended on a bad note. For fans of the series, it sucks majorly. For people who want a shooter, play Call of Duty or Gears of War instead Expand
  28. Mar 23, 2012
    I wish that the company had been as loyal to the fans as I have been to the series. After all of the gameplay and all of the care I took playing and replaying the first two games, all I get are three crappy choises that all amount to basically the same thing? I won't be wasting any more money or time with Bioware games if they think this is acceptable.
  29. Mar 7, 2012
    The past year has not been of Bioware's finest. Dragon Age 2 and The Old Republic were both slated to be AAA titles and had some commercial success, but felt to me rather lackluster overall. Mass Effect 3 has proved to be just as lackluster. Whether it's the poorly decided business choice of adding day one DLC or the glaringly obvious retcons, it's hard to find much good to say about Mass Effect 3. The gameplay mechanics are much smoother and the multiplayer helps keep this game from getting too negative a review. It's not terrible, but a rather average effort. Expand
  30. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you haven't played the game, why are you giving it a review?

Having played ME1 & ME2, ME3 was a COMPLETE AND UTTER LETDOWN. My choices from previous games obviously didn't matter. Gameplay was only marginally refined over ME2. Character animation was still "off." Character development was only cursory in most cases. Story progression was there, to a point, then it simply dropped off the map. Did the writers forget this is the conclusion to an EPIC storyline? Having played the first two, I can honestly say I'd have been better off by 1) by not having played Me1 & ME2 or 2) not having bothered with ME3 and just read some fanfic. I'm not even concerned with the DLC issue (that wasn't an ideal situation, but meh). What disgusts me is the years and countless hours that went into this series, both in development and fanbase terms, and it was all for naught. If I had wanted all my money, time, effort and emotional investment to boil down into three ridiculous choices I'd have skipped ME3. I'd honestly have been better served by dusting off my DEM:GOTYE, reinstalling it, and playing it. Gay/Lesbian romance? Didn't bother me (and I'm straight), but shoehorning in a homosexual romance when none previously existed absolutely reeked of political scheming. The storyline was okay through most of the game, but was lacking in the depth and scope of its predecessors. For any other developer, this wouldn't be an issue, but for Bioware, known for its incredible writing, this is unforgivable. NONE of the endings ties into the Mass Effect series. It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to pass off laziness as quality work. I'm not asking for an ending where everyone lives and is holding hands, skipping through a meadow of daisies, singing "It's a Wonderful World." What I am asking for is some sort of thought process to be used. Who believed this was a good idea to shaft the fanbase/revenue-producer like this? I'm thoroughly disappointed with Mass Effect 3. This was a pitiful attempt to capitalize on two previous games (both incredible in their depth and scope) by half-stepping to the finish line...and I was suckered into the lie. Way to take an EPIC story/franchise and drive it straight into the ground. Obviously EA's influence has rubbed off. Shame on you Bioware. Shame on you.
  31. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the sublime perfection that was Mass Effect 2, this game was such a huge disappointment. For starters you're forced to play multiplayer in order to boost your "Galactic Readiness", a score used to determine how likely you are to succeed in defeating the Reapers (the main villians of the Mass Effect trilogy). Even though I completed every side mission I could find (some I could not finish due to bugs) it wasn't enough to get over 4000 needed for Shepard to survive (I was stuck at 3,800-odd). Another disappointment was the lack of returning characters from ME2. Most of the characters popped up during the course of the game, but there was very little chance to interact with them. Worse, the few characters that could be interacted with rarely had dialogue trees where you could choose what to say to them, instead the dialogue was entirely fixed. There were some nice moments, like the interactions with Joker and EDI, but overall this game disappoints compared to ME2. Finally, by far the biggest problem are the endings. At the end you are given the choice of three endings, but all of them are utterly terrible. As the conclusion to a trilogy, this is hugely disappointing. After all the blood, guts and tears the story deserved a much better ending than the ones offered. I would be willing to pay good money for Bioware to make a new ending and release it as DLC. SO DISAPPOINTING. :( Expand
  32. Mar 9, 2012
    Its an amazing game all the way up till the last 5 mins. I didn't think it was possible but we have an ending so bad that it ruins the entire series. I can't even think about playing any of the other ME games after watching this ending.

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins

The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4.
  33. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is simply amazing! Bio ware has done a terrific job with this final installment in the mass effect series. The first mission where the reapers are attacking earth is a thrilling and excellent way to start off the game.
  34. Mar 9, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this game is playable and I'm sure if you had no standards or simply didn't care you could pick up this game and have a midly enjoyable experience. BUT the atrocities EA and Bioware committed mean I cannot give this game a decent rating with a good conscience. So what is so bad about this game? Let me tell you:
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if
    you will) that decided to take this course I don't know, but releasing DLC on the day of release, particularly DLC which is important to the plot, at 1/6 the price of the game itself is unforgivable in of itself. It seems they are laughing in our face as we shell out money for something that should have been on the disc, available to everyone. It is obvious that it was done simply to milk as much money out of the fans as possible.
    2. Casualisation: The game was geared towards Call of Duty players in order to cash in on the series' success, while abandoning the loyal fanbase. Not much else to say here.
    3. Shoddy Writing: Many uninformed people think that the attacks on the Bioware employee Jennifer Hepler was simply a display of hate for the sake of hate. While they certainly did go overboard, it wasn't without good reason. She was the physical manifestation of the quality of writing coming from Bioware. Examples: Dialogue is awkward, the ending is notoriously bad, after seeing so many people die and killing so many himself, Sephard is emotianally effected by the death of a random kid above all. Overall you would expect something better from a Naruto fanfiction. 4. Laziness of Bioware: For a big budget, triple A game you would expect a certain level of effort from the developers. Bioware, however seemed to have taken shortcuts left, right and centre. There are images circulating the internet which demonstrate this quite well. For example, Copying a stock image for the portrait of a character who dies in the game, and copying another 7? year old image lying around in the internet for the ending.
    5. Ininspired Multiplayer: Another cash-in, Wave survival modes have been done to death, nowadays every game seems to have one. It seems this was added in to artificially extend the life of the game and make an excuse for future half-assed DLC releases.
    6. Gay Sex: people reading this may call 'Hurr durr homophobe" - but wait to read my reasoning. Homosexuality IS a sin. Being implemented in such as fashion acts to 'casualise' it, pressing on the impressionable 13 year old minds (whose uninformed mothers will be buying this game) that it is fine and acceptable. I do not hate **** I care about them, just as I do any other person. For this reason I oppose it.
    Even if this is an attempt to cash-in with the gay audience rather than a political agenda, it gets in the way of the average straight player and does not belong. I do not want to have gay passes made to me by my squadmates when I'm playing a game.
    7. Reviewers are sellouts: This goes for every major game release nowadays, but is absolutely appalling. While I'm not implying that EA is necessarily directly paying reviewers to give the game good reviews (not that I'd put it past them) there is certainly a feel that if you don't give it a good review the publisher early access to future releases. I have heard of cases where people have lost their job because they wrote how the felt rather than what they were told to write. This is why I'm writing this review in fact - to help get a bit of truth out.
    Instead of a proper, objective review we are fed tripe with 10/10 would play again bs.

Due to all these aformentioned problems with Mass Effect 3, I cannot take it seriously, thus it receives a score of 0/10. The only reason it has earned a 1 from me is because the Biodrone tears are absolutely delicious.
    Have a good day sirs.
  35. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass effect 3 a epic conclusion? More like a epic disappointment.
    I felt that the ending was a major slap in my face and leave a bitter taste
    in your mouth!
  36. Mar 10, 2012
    The game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The ending is horrible and makes the whole story of Shepard from the first game to the third feel irrelevant. The games has lots of glitches and feels rushed and unpolished. Expand
  37. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending 1 : Die
    Ending 2 : Die
    Ending 3 : Die
    Seriously EA and Bioware? I really waited 2 years for such a pathetic ending? I'm feeling hollow here. I just wanna burn my N7 T-Shirt. What a sad day for RPG's. Choices have no influence... BECAUSE YOU DIE WHATEVER WHAT YOU DO. What a let down.
  38. Mar 11, 2012
    This is a Game that every moment i enjoying, one game with action and rpg´s that others want to copy.
    Beautiful envirnoments, Good story, Graphics, talking, and moments that are better that all action games in the last year.
  39. Mar 12, 2012
    First of all everybody in this site has to calm down....I finished the game yesterday and created an account here just to comment on this game...First of all, i'm rly disapointed from the so called gamers who on 6 march gave this game a 0 without even playing it or those who may have just downloaded it!!I want to say smthg to u people....U cant talk not even complain because u haven't spent a $ on this game and everything u play is worth a 10 no metter what!!!Second i have to say that the game is really good!!The combat is great and gives u nice moments,the cinematics are beautiful and the decisions u take IN THIS GAME seem relevant in crucial moments...The script sometimes was rly boring but it had moments of excellence....I found the design very good and sometimes jaw-dropping.The graphics are those of ME2 with some better details maybe...So all and all is a very solid shooter but not a solid RPG (and i'm sorry to say this)....Side missions are rly good but u never get the sense of need to explore more because there is nothing too explore only scanning isnt enough.So it is a good shooter but a poor RPG!!!Third:The decisions of the previous games doesnt really matter in a big way and thats was a really big letdown for everybody i think...im not putting spoilers here but take my word on this.U feel really happy when u see that smthg u did in the previous games shows up,but that doesnt happen often and thats a big letdown too!!Fourth and most important thing: the ending.This is the best trilogy ever created with the worst ending.Dont get me wrong i liked the idea and that was my idea of a great ending but the execution of it was bad really bad and many people know what I'm talking about!!I'm a big fan of the series and have played the whole trilogy so i understand all the others who gave this game bad votes...The first day DLC is a scandal...And the ending is almost as scandalous....But after 1 night of thinking i have come up with my conclusion!!THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE...u would say why??Because they want more money and they want u to buy an another DLC that maybe will show what really happens when ME ends ;)!!Im sorry to say this and i would be disgusted if smthg like this happened!!Ultimately im judging this game on a ME rating scale...and that's a 7...if this game was a stand alone with a declared sequel it would be easily a 9 or 9.5!!Thank u for reading I'm sorry for my poor vocabulary but I'm not American nor British.Cheers to all!!! Expand
  40. Mar 11, 2012
    I'm extremely disappointed with the way that DLC has been handled with ME3. While some may argue that the DLC is supplemental and the game is complete without it, as a consumer I still feel like I'm being sold an incomplete product. I feel compelled to send a message to publishers and developers that some consumers won't stand for this. Its a pity, as I enjoyed ME1 and 2.
  41. Mar 12, 2012
    An entire game experience ruined by the last 15 minutes of the 3rd game the endings have no meaning what so ever. You just UNITED the entire galaxy against the reapers no matter the race or if synthetic or not and yet the ending is about how there will allways be war between synthetics and organics? wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf? there is 1 **** synthetic race that you just gave true SENTIENCE to and they became the nearly as Awesome as Legion from it. Evry part of this game was epic except it started lacking more and more choices like we had in the previous games the part towards the ending was RUSHED allso you started noticing less and less to do before a priority mission well **** in the end it was just NEXT Priority mission. all in all my dissapointment with the ending was so big I was liturally furious for several hours it has ruined the best game i've played to date. How VERY sad on biowares part that they've failed so Insanely. Expand
  42. Sep 13, 2012
    Great game, and one of the best (if not the best) trilogies in gaming. I just wanted to add my two cents as there are some very strange reviews on Metacritic. I found that the choices I made throughout the series hugely satisfactory down the line. I also feel the ending was great. You can achieve the "best" ending without jumping through any or the peripheral hoops EA set up. The aforementioned ending has emotional weight and payoff. Brilliant. ME4 please Bioware! Expand
  43. Mar 12, 2012
    I pre-ordered this POS. I love the story and the Lore of this universe. I have never felt so cheated as I did when I found out about the Day 1 DLC. When EA admitted that the CORE aspects of the DLC had been integrated in the the game prior to certification, I wanted to return the game for a refund. I feel like EA took advantage of my loyalty and attempted to exploit it. So uncool EA.. Soo... UnCool Expand
  44. Mar 13, 2012
    Being the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexscene (seriously, do journalists actually believe the crap they are putting out??). It is simply because the current ending (NOT endingS, mind you) makes absolutely no sense. Why is there no difference between the endings? WHY doesn't my choices make any difference what so ever. In a stroke of sheer genious BW implements transfer of savegames which all amounts to a **** nothing come the absurd end. I never write reviews but I love this game to damn much to not make my voice heard. This game doesn't deserve this, it should have top ratings. Expand
  45. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I find anyone giving this game a 9 or 10 mind boggling. That ending was completely trite, trash, garbage, the **** worst ending to any game I've ever played. A huge disappointment. It should immediately have 2 points knocked off just for that, and that's being EXTREMELY generous. The game was glorious, I loved every minute of it, until those last 5. The gameplay was good, I loved the story and the action and then... biggest god damn let down of the century. Unless I dunno, you missed out on the rapture or something oops that still hasn't happened. Anyway. Anyone giving this game a 10 either hasn't beaten it, is fan wanking, or is a troll. I absolutely loved the series, easily one of my favorites and then they slap me in the face with the first day DLC which is already on the disc and an ending so abysmal it's forcing me to knock it down to a god damn 3. What they did right, game play was good, I enjoyed the animations, MOST of the story was thoroughly enjoyable and evoked emotion, I was legitimately distraught at the deaths of Mordin, Thane, and Legion, and getting to romance Steven Cortez and Kaiden Alenko as Male Shepard.

And then... they **** it ALL up, in 5 minutes. Took me over 30 hours to beat the game, all that I loved, and they **** it up in 5 god damn minutes. How is that even possible, how could they have gone so **** wrong. And honestly I don't even care that Shepard dies, I care about the **** trash where we see 3 people get off the Normandy in the aftermath and oops who the **** cares about all the rest. What the **** happened to all the people we spent learning about, building attachments too, we not only are forced to watch Shepard die with that bogus pick your poison ending but we get no closure for more than half of the characters we spent collecting and working with for the preceding games only to become side notes in this one.
  46. Mar 13, 2012
    Was an amazing trilogy. Was an amazing game. It had it's faults, but was greater then the sum of it's parts. Foolish spoiled kids need to stop scaring game developers away from making games like this, instead of of CoD rehashed crap.
  47. Mar 22, 2012
    This game is brilliant. The changes made to the combat and overall feel of the game from Mass Effect 2 makes the game almost perfect. The story is great, and I also didn't mind the ending, like many others do. I didn't give it 10, because it seems like the dialogue towards the end does not really fit everywhere. Something is just not right. Other than this though, the game is brilliant!
  48. Mar 14, 2012
    I thought the game was awesome up until the end. I hating the ending and I think BW can do much better. That said, the triology was still one of the most awesome gaming experiences that I've ever had and will be much better if they change the ending. While I think the real score I would rate this is about a 7 or 8 I am giving it a 10 based on the rest of the game and previous games and to try and offset the other people trolling on here that are obviously marking the score low because of the ending. I think BW deserves a fair score.â Expand
  49. Mar 15, 2012
    This game was awful. It was like watching one of those summer blockbusters (avatar the last airbender for example) where it's got all the elements of something you should really like, but it's just really poorly executed, and the ending is god awful. Don't buy this game, don't support this developer, they've just been going downhill since they were sold to Electronic Arts.
  50. Mar 15, 2012
    Fantastic game in almost all senses of the word. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, but then it all gets ruined by an awful ending. I mean bad. If you do buy it, stop it right after Shepard talks to his crew before the final push and don't go further.
  51. Mar 16, 2012
    Breaks cannon, massive plot holes, incomplete game. While this is the final chapter in one of my most cherished series, there is very little that remains after a botched ending that can be considered good.
  52. Mar 18, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, ME3 is an AMAZING GAME! It's just the ending that pisses me off. I've spent five years on this franchise working hard making all the right choices in order to have a closure that suits my expectations! However, the ending made me feel as if none of that mattered! I've lost interest in continuing the game or even replay it anywhere in the near future. I was also frustrated by BW's Day-One DLC policy! It made me feel cheep! As if I'm nothing but money-milking machine for the Big Gaming Kahunas. THE ENDING MUST BE CORRECTED! BW is a great company that makes great RPG's. I'm confident that they won't disappoint their fans for long. Maybe! Expand
  53. Mar 18, 2012
    This game does not deserve a 10/10, nor a 94 metacritic rating.

Your adventure begins with the reapers attacking earth, the first planet to come under siege. After the confirmation of the reaper invasion as so prophesized by Shepard, you are tasked with uniting the entire universe in not getting annhilated. But throughout the entire game you'll feel like Shepard and his crew are the
    only people in the ENTIRE universe who are taking the whole galaxy obliteration thing seriously. You'll spend the entire game doing favors for the other races who apparently don't give a **** that they and everything they've ever known or loved will die, so long as X objective is fulfilled. And throughout, you'll find plotholes so massive a Geth dreadnought (which is surprisingly accommodating to lifeforms) could fly through them. The Rachni are back, regardless of whether you killed the queen in ME1, for example. As for the ending... it's so bad Bioware issued a statement for damage control. Don't worry though, they intend to give you the ending you deserve so long as you buy yet another DLC pack.

The graphics only look good when the image on screen is static. Try dodging, moving from cover to cover, sprinting, or watching 90% of the cut-scenes and you'll see awful animations, horrible transitions from animation to animation, and sometimes awkward eye movements. And regardless of whether you cleared out all enemies in a conflict zone, the camera still follows Shepard with his gun drawn uncomfortable close, and even with the controller sensitivity setting at "low" (yes, this game, unlike every other shooter released in the past decade, has only 3 settings for analog stick sensitivity) I found myself getting dizzy playing. There are also cinematic events during levels much like the Uncharted series but with choppy animation and crappy camera angles. If you're a fan of claustrophobia and nausea, then you'll love exploring M3E's environments for credits and weapon upgrades.

The entire game feels tight and constricted, from beginning to end. Imagine the linearity of Gears of War with about 50% less space. And the locations that should be sprawling and massive, like the Citadel for example, feel miniscule and require an elevator and a loading screen to access each of the five zones Shepard may explore. Even the outside levels, of which there are only a few, channel you through invisible walls to your objective. In addition, small sections of the map are regurgitated throughout the entire level to save development time, adding to the disorientation.

Multiplayer is a welcome addition, but it too has its faults. The gear you can upgrade includes weapons and their mods, but no armor, and getting said gear is either a massive grind or expensive. Gear is attained by buying "packs" which are essentially booster decks filled randomly with equipment using either MS points or the game's own credit system, which are earned extremely slowly by completing various objectives during multiplayer sessions. It's sickening how shamelessly Bioware fills its own pocket with this system and it creates a rift between players willing to spend money on digital items and players who won't, and the chance of you attaining what you desire for your character are slim, forcing you to buy pack after pack. But the loot system isn't the only thing that feels broken and wrong. Instead of creating a character and class from scratch and choosing and building upon its buffs and abilities, there are 4 or 5 characters for each class, two or 3 with their own special abilities, and each class levels up independently from each other. It isn't the worst system in the world, but you'll feel less attached to each of your many online avatars as you do with Shepard. This also prevents players from creating the exact class/character they desire, as only certain races have access to certain abilities. If you were looking to make a human with Reave, you're SOL. And, unlike the singleplayer campaign, each class has a max of three abilities which cannot be remapped to different buttons. You are stuck using your abilities (but only in multiplayer) with the buttons Bioware chose. Just as perplexing is the lack of a mute option. I cannot stress how absolutely stupid Bioware is for not adding this and many other features that are status quo. I hope you enjoy your multiplayer experience dashed with thirteen year old kids and racists.

Mass 3 Effect is a good game by any standard, but it is not a great game, and the lack of certain options that are standard in every game released in the past decade certainly don't help. But it's the ending and Bioware's disgusting Activision-like business tactics that'll eventually disenchant you from its massive, plot-hole riddled world. Or maybe seeing Ronnie from Jersey Shore joining your crew will do it.
  54. Mar 29, 2012
    I loved this game, every minute of it (YES EVEN THE END). The game definitely doesn't deserve the harsh reviews these users have given it. Many top game reviewers have given it a high score, and so unless you think EA has paid all of them off and yet no one has managed to expose this, I think it's safe to assume this game is damn good.

Screw the trolls, come see me.
  55. Mar 20, 2012
    My playthrough lasted 36 hours and 25 minutes. 36 hours and 20 minutes were fun, challenging, and touching then with the final five minutes this game committed narrative suicide and the terrible ending was all the worse for the greatness of this series. Endings matter especially in mass effect and this one was so bad that if it is not fixed through some dlc I just don't know if I ever have the heart to play another bioware game again. (And I've played everything bioware has ever released.) Bad ending ruined great franchise. Expand
  56. Mar 20, 2012
    This game obviously doesn't deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but to say that the ending was extremely disappointing is an understatement. At the game's end, I felt like I didn't really have a choice at all, despite what was advertised by Bioware and what consistently occurred throughout all three of the titles in the series. I think it's apparent that they are eventually going to make an alternate ending with more choices, as they are going to lose a ton of money in DLC if they don't. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this was their plan all along, to get more people to buy a better ending as DLC. If the DLC costs anything, I'm done with Bioware, but a free DLC alternate ending with some actual choices will let me forgive them because, besides the ending, this is a good game. Expand
  57. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closure in the relationships made, whether between LIs or squad mates. They never come to fruition, and there is no resolution. ME3 was advertised to have a multitude of outcomes based upon players' choices. That's what originally made the Mass Effect franchise such a great success. The finale should have raised the player to great heights or taken the player to despair... and everywhere between based upon the consequences of the player's decisions throughout the entirety of the series(Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between). BioWare should have finished their remarkable work on the strengths that it was built on. Choice and consequence. It seemed like a given, but... You leave the game feeling complete and utter disappointment. It is truly remarkable how an ending can be so profoundly and remarkably bad. It truly destroys the franchise entirely. This is not an easy thing to say, as I've loved the series from the start. There is no replay value at all. BioWare has ruined years of work in the last ten minutes on what should have been one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It will be a study in the future on how not to end a story franchise. Expand
  58. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game. Very emotional game i almost cried at some times and very well done dialogue once again. Everything is right about this game, all the classes get to use assault and sniper rifles along with shotguns. This game is so good until the ending. The ending is sooo bad and out of place that this game was a set back for me. BioWare needs to do something fast before they lose there loyal fans.
  59. Mar 26, 2012
    I don't understand all the negative reviews on this site, mostly based around the day one DLC. If you don't want it, don't buy it. The industry is using day 1 DLC as an extra way of making some revenue, and if that is what has to be done to stop price increases on games, then fine. I did download the DLC as I am such a big ME fan that I will bite the hand off the developers like a hungry lion for anything ME related. Admittedly the mission that comes with the pack is short, but the cutscenes included with it are amazing and give some real insight into the last days of the protheans in their war against the reapers. Plus Jarik seems to be a really interesting character with a kickass particle rifle which shepard can also use. My only advice with this weapon is not to let it run out of energy (make sure you take your finger off the trigger before that so it recharges).

I am something like 7 hours into the single player and have put 2-3 hours into the multiplayer which I have also found to be great fun.

Unfortunately due to losing my saves a while ago I am not in a position to play through all 3 games with the same character yet so I have had to import my ME2 soldier for my first ME3 playthrough but that's ok as all it means is I get to spend more time playing one of my favourite game series of all time! Not a loss in my book.

This review is based on where I am in the game right now so I can't comment on the endings yet. I am interested to see if is bad as everyone is making out though. Even if it is, I have faith that bioware will not disappoint again with their solution.
  60. Mar 23, 2012
    Not only did Bioware decide to appeal to the greater masses by giving up the individuality and writing of the previous two games in the Mass Effect installment, but they have given up their talent. Mass Effect 3 reduces game choices to simple 2-decision dialogue bubbles, forces a multiplayer element into the game in order to get the "good" ending, and blatantly plagiarizes artwork from both a stock image site and Deviant Art. Notably, the former was used, (albeit poorly photoshopped), as the reveal of the identity of a character that had been left faceless for the entire series. The voice talent of many of the prominent figures from previous games are also notably absent, leaving one to wonder if Bioware had decided to cut corners, or if they just gave up. Enemy variety is reduced to a fraction of what it was before, weapons are scarce as ever to come by, and one strange element is how ammunition is once again in the form of bullets, when in previous games you had an unlimited amount. This is the future after all, isn't it? Day-one Downloadable Content is also present, which is senseless and blatant greed on the developer's part. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that there was also DLC in the previous two installments, and a large portion of Mass Effect 3's character development is obtainable by playing those. The game is forced, as well as your decisions in it, unless you decide to fork the dough over to Bioware for the final installment in the series. If you're unhappy with the endings, which are all the same save for a different color of firework, don't worry! Bioware's publicly apologized and is working on a new ending. (Yes, you read that right.) Expand
  61. Mar 26, 2012
    An amazing game, absolutely loved the gameplay. The ending certainly left a lot to be answered, but it didn't ruin the rest of the experience for me. Maybe I should hold off on judgment until after the coming changes are made, when I would likely be able to give this thing a 10/10, because that's what the rest of the game deserves. It seems crazy to me that this thing is getting such a wide range of ratings, considering the ending was really only the weak link here. And even with that I can't see anyone in their right mind giving this thing any worse than a 6/10. I think some of the angrier fans should have let themselves cool off a bit before rushing to bash this thing in their review. Expand
  62. Mar 27, 2012
    ME 1 was smashing. Story, characters, everything. ME 2 was poor. Story, characters, everything. ME 3 is disappointing.
    Hey guys, isn't it time to stop building dumb arenas? It's the ADULT gaming era, ain't it? Conclusion, ME is a license that won't stay in my mind as one of the best ever (which ME 1 made me look forward to).
  63. Mar 29, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, which clearly was an important part of the game to begin with, and you have one of the worst sequels in RPG history Expand
  64. Mar 31, 2012
    Loved all the mass effect games, why would they destroy such a wonderfull series with such a blatantly illogical LAST 5 MIN... I justify my score with the following articles and videos:

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E
    2-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Fix this ending plz.
  65. Apr 11, 2012
    Any gamer would give this game a zero because: -Interview lies about multiple endings. -Advertising lies about the game choices mattering in the end. -Day 1 DLC. Some of the DLC content is on the game disc!!! They planned to milk more money from the player on release. This is a highly shameful and disgust practice that no gamer should encourage. -One ending. Three different colors. Anyone giving more than a zero to this game is encouraging game developers to:
    -lie about the contents of their product
    -to not finish their product without asking for more money after you bought it (day1 DLC)
  66. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes the ending is that bad and yes the fan outrage is wholly justified. Even putting the ending aside it is by far the worst entry in the series no planetary exploration, all the side quests are fetch quests, theyâ Expand
  67. May 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is what happens when a franchise that's going so well goes bad. I loved the first 2 games I really did. I'm not too sure how the managed to make it so bad, first off it's casualised so much that it doesn't seem necessary to even consider thinking tactically, the writing is so dumbed down it feels like a children's book and they constantly refer to the previous games instead of making something original. Your choices don't matter the only ones that do were the ones you made in the previous game. I'm not going to blame the ending for the score i'm giving but slapping the player in the face and introducing a new character at the last second to say "Hey, we built synthetics to kill you because if we didn't you'd build synthetics and they'd kill you" is stupid and to top it off he then says "So nothing you did matters what colour do you like more red, blue or green" They might as well have ripped off my under wear and laughed at me instead of giving me the game as i'm sure that it wouldn't be as bad as this monstrosity. Expand
  68. May 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all honesty, Mass Effect wasn't exactly the game it could have been. After creating to previous games, Bioware seemed to stop trying with the third. the only reason this isn't a five is that they brought Liara back. She was always a very engaging character with many dimensions, unlike Kaiden who only seemed to be a "canadian man-hunk" and Ash who was more the "Gun-babe". The non-cinematic cut-scenes left much to be desired, with frequent glitches such as my favorite-"the invisible eyelid"... you just can't engage in the emotion of a scene when you can see the entirety of someone's eyeball... In addition, none of the choices made in ME3 seem to make any difference, beyond how many "color-choices" you get at the end. It was gratifying to see how choices in previous games affected ME3, but the perceived *lack* of choice in the third game is infuriating, and the lack of follow-up from your choices beyond the color of a galaxy-wide explosion gains the ire of me and many more fans of the series. Highly disappointing, but I shouldn't have been surprised when I saw Dragon Age 2, but I thought that was a one-time thing... now I'm not so sure. Expand
  69. May 16, 2012
    Despite having a rough start, with some hiccups along the way, and a troubled finish to the series, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Granted, I went into playing this game being aware that there was a very large outcry of complaints regarding the endings available in the game. With that in mind, I was prepped for a very disappointing ending to the title and the series. Regarding the
    endings, I will say this one non-spoiling thing: They're not half as bad as the die-hards are suggesting. The game makes suggestions throughout it's entire story about what would be on the table in the last few moments of the story, so I'm unaware why people were so shocked.

The diversity of endings, in my opinion, were nothing different from the previous installations. Mass Effect 1 & 2 both had endings which varried SLIGHTLY depending on many of the players decisions throughout the titles, however the major results of each of the original 2 titles endings never changed. The diversity was in supporting details. So my thoughts regarding the backlash of the chosen ending of the game is for people to stop complaining and enjoy the game for what it is.

Outside of the more controversial issue, the story of the game is wonderfully written, and incorporates many facets of the original 2 games, including the decisions made by the player in the original titles.

The details surrounding the core plot of the game during my play-through vastly differed from that of my friends experience. I was impressed by the games potential for diversity in ancillary details.

Graphically, to be honest, I feel the engine has hit it's apex and is beginning to age. However, it was still a visually-enjoyable game.

The game-play experience itself was well fleshed-out, although I feel the second instalment of the series takes the crown in this category. The side-quest of searching through the galaxy for bonus resources/items/etc was very basic and un-interesting. The combat system seemed to be a little flawed this time around, where actions I expected my character would make were not, well, made. The voice-recognition for the Kinect was fun for a bit, but then become an irritation. That is my own personal experience, others may enjoy it greatly.

Overall, I suggest you be aware that the ending has some controversy around it, and otherwise enjoy this game for everything it offers between the start and the finish.
  70. May 21, 2012
    Rated a five because of the lacking single player. I'm fine with the addition of multiplayer and the ability to play as another species in the online mode it a nice touch, but it seems to take away from what Mass effect is all about. The single player. With half of the game basically based on multiplayer, the other half focused on single player isn't nearly as interesting to play as the previous two games. If you want a good co-op multiplayer game then go ahead and get it, but the single player isn't as good as Mass effect one and two so don't get too excited. Expand
  71. Jun 11, 2012
    There have many reviews about this game, and most of them are commenting about the poor ending of this game. But I think this game is definite a worth to buy game, the reason because of the multi-player. How the graphics were superb with a very dandy covering system, going through every corners, sprinting and cover from enemies firing. There just had many ways to play your own style of game, with a lot of selection of characters and using different abilities. On the other hand, limited maps and difficulty were the main problem in multiplayer which lower the score. For professional gamers, I think gold challenge was a bit too easy due to the fact that there were too much ways to play this game, entertaining with communicating with four players. Moreover, multiplayer only have 5-6 maps weren't enough to last the gameplay long, which only for maximum 1 month or so. Increasing the varies or mods in multiplayer can improve the overall rating since that the single player's ending was weak. Overall, I think this game's selling was just for multiplayer, if gamers were just waiting for the single player, this game won't be your choice. Expand
  72. Aug 16, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a journey that tugs at heart strings, makes you ask big questions and ends multiple story archs. The Mass Effect trilogy has been phenomenal, and has excelled in scope and story telling although the illusion of choice is ever present. While I invested my time in Mass Effect 3 it soon became clear that the game was telling an end of the story from the very beginning. This is how I suggest you treat the game.The multiplayer is a fun edition and greatly expands the life of the product it was not somthing I asked for but fun regardless. It is not without fault so i cannot in good conscience give it a amazing score cause it is not. These faults are very minor and do not subtract from the game very much i.e. Trouble finding quest related people on map, lackluster epilogue, your choices do not feel as important as it could be and multiplayer connection problems. The game is great overall and deserves a 7/10 I recommend you buy it, you could do a lot worse. Expand
  73. Jun 19, 2012
    Mass effect is a game that tries to appease old fans and be a natural starting point for new fans sadly it fails at both new fans will feel overwhelmed by the situations while old fans will feel betrayed by the lack of differences in choices, i will elaborate on both but i would like this time to say the there will be spoilers

spoiler alert

new fans wont understand the gravity of the
    geth quarian conflict and wont feel the much passion when the shepard (the protagonist) talks about the sacrifice of a squad-mate that occurred in the first game, its also a bit overwhelming to be dumped in to this world with a lack of understanding of the different races

older fans will play a much more dumbed down version of the game, as the organization that you may have helped in previous game will be your enemy no matter what you did before, the game is also much more linear then previous games, and your a pigeon-holed in the the ending no matter what happens

if your new to the series, you will still be taken on an emotional roller coaster that you may enjoy and this game should be rated a 6/10

however if your a new fan the ending (at least for me) actually makes the two previous games worse meaning that this game should be given a negative score, as i am a fan of the previous games i will give it the lowest possible score of "0", as im not allowed to give the game a negative 20 for ruining the other two 10/10 games in the series
  74. Jul 1, 2012
    The problems that everyone had with the ending have been fixed with the Extended Cut and additional closure and clarification was added making this game the ideal choice for purchase if you haven't already. :)
  75. Jul 11, 2012
    i just watch an extended dlc ending and i love Mass effect 3 again. In my opinion i think destroy the reaper is the best ending. But although a little disappoint cause our choice in previous game doesn't effect most in Part 3 ending
  76. Jul 23, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a great game, that I believe is wrongfully hated on. The reason for this is simple, it changed genres. While the first game was a fully-fledged RPG, the combat mechanics in the first game were sloppy, and in the next game gameplay was vastly improved, but RPG elements were toned down. This left hardcore RPG fans unhappy, This third game definitely has the best gameplay in the series, for the overpowered particle rifle to the addictive Scorpion, but less RPG elements than ever before. Don't let this fool you though, the story is as good as ever, with some truly awesome moments and payoffs, a surprisingly good multiplayer, and plenty of visits from old characters. I would highly recommend playing the series the whole way through, but don't expect the RPG experience in each game, but come in expecting in this third game an awesome action game with RPG elements. Also, the ending wasn't one i particularly liked, but didn't detract as much from the game as the vocal minority say, especially with the extended cut endings. Free DLC in this game is awesome, considering it is an EA game. Overall, I'd rate this game a clean 9.5 and definitely recommend the series to anyone looking for an awesome story that they'll remember for years to come. Expand
  77. Sep 20, 2012
    Really, Mass Effect 3 just rocks. If you enjoyed the previous 2 even a little, be prepared to be amazed. It kind of melds the best elements of Mass Effect with the vibrancy and life of Mass Effect 2, which was easily the game of the year back in 2010. And the sheer amount of times you find yourself yelling 'oh **** at the screen is something else
  78. Oct 9, 2012
    The true over reaction of thousands of gamers has marred this amazing genre. No this game does not live up to its predecessors in anyway. The story OPTIONS feel more streamlined than before, the game play was the same as Mass Effect 2's, and of course the polarizing ending that crushed so many individuals.

The story line content felt more rushed and "to the point". Each mission was just
    pick A or B until the end. (pick A, B, or C). This was a turn off and the side missions were very boring, most of the time I would pick them up and not even know how I had since they were triggered by random conversations going on in the world as you walked by. This was a big step down from the previous titles and took away from the experience. And of course the ending...The insanely overly infamous, polarizing ending. I personally did not like the ending along with everyone else. It was not what I wanted for my character. I do understand that this ending is what the writer's had in mind and I respect that and wish that they had not altered it. I understand this was their masterpiece that we were getting to take part in and what they want is what ultimately will happen. I think the majority of us understood that and reluctantly accept it. What stung so much though is that we didn't know it until the end. We felt like this was OUR masterpiece. Our story, to end how WE see fit. Unfortunately it was not. The game is still great even with the less than stellar ending. PEOPLE DO NOT LET THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS SCARE YOU!!!! They are all mostly from people very (understandably) disappointed with the ending. If you have not given the Mass Effect series a try I can not recommend it to you enough. Please go get Mass Effect 1 and start from the very beginning. Go through this massive, incredible story and decide for yourself. Even if the ending is upsetting, I would not take back a single second of my experience with the series. It is by far the best story in the history of gaming, bad ending or not. Expand
  79. Nov 13, 2012
    The thig that makes this game is not it (Ending) but its jorney to the ending through all the trilogy you sould have played the first two games and discover a magnifasent world and fromed real relationships with characters, and this game makes all your choise`s and relationships count and complets a journy that you have cherished for so long and showed your true emotions and feelings that you have made and it makes you feel sad to leave your world for this last installment of your character. The best part of the game is its story and how you must form the races of all worlds and planets in the universe to fight your ulterment enemy that is threating your world in which you must leave to save at the end. Its a very hard feeling to have while enjoying yourself in the Mass Effect world and keeps you worrying and heartfelled. All the characers in this installment make there last and ultimate feeling of being a charcter who you have come to love and hate truly spectacular this feeling. The music score for the game has never been better, the music lifts you up and makes you fight and can also despress you down and make you feel helpless truly masterpiece of a score. Overall this is the greatest Mass Effect game of the trilogy and a must have for everyone who loves to play RPGs and also video games. i give Mass Effect 3 its perfect send off with a 10. Expand
  80. Feb 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Positives:
    -Story is engaging and ties subplots together well
    -Refined game play mechanics
    -Character leveling is well balanced
    -Most choices made in ME1 2 are reflected (some much more than others)
    -Multiplayer is well executed

Negatives:
    -Day of release DLC (800 MS Points)
    -Freddy Prinze Jr
    -Shoehorned Jessica Chobot cameo
    -Several loose ends in the story are "tied" up with e-mails
    -Citadel is still (circa ME2) confined to a few small areas of exploration
    -Insignificance of War Assets!!!!

The game is centered around the final battle between the Reapers and a unified army of races. Shepard must gain as many 'war assets' as possible before the showdown begins. This is why ME3 is fun. It's up to you to resolve long standing conflicts and issues so that a unified galaxy will stand against the invincible Repears. All the time, narrative and game play involved in series builds up to a finale that thousands of fans have imagined for over 5 years. Yet, this is where Bioware fell short, so very very short.

It's not so much that I am essentially given three identical options for how the game will end. Rather, it's the fact that nothing I did since ME1 resulted in any kind of variance for the ending. Where are the mercs I secured through Aria? What about the friggin Krogan and Salarians? Why doesn't anything I accomplished matter?

Bioware released DLC in an effort to shed more light on the "ending they wanted to tell". This failed since the ending they wanted to tell sucked in the first place. Shedding more light on a pile of dog sh*t won't make it more pleasant to smell.

For such an engaging and fun series, ME was not granted the resolution it deserves. I don't know why Bioware chose the route that it did. Unfortunately, you can't unsee what has already been seen.
  81. Mar 22, 2013
    To start off, I've yet to reach the ending of mass effect 3. I assume I'm getting close, 24 hours in or so. I had an idea a month or so ago to play all three in a row, because I forgot what happened in the first two games. So I replayed through the first, loved it, damn fine game. Replayed the second, also sweet, got a bit bored of the planet scanning after awhile, but besides that highly enjoyed it. And then I started 3. I don't honestly understand how this game got such a high review. The entire system was dumbed down, all mini games removed, almost all exploration removed, no characters to gather, silly dream sequence scenes that always end exactly the same. Canned dialogue, removal of REAL side quests and a new, insanely annoying combat system where every single npc strafes at Mach speed. There's so much wrong with this it's hard for me to find anything fun, new or cool. I have no desire to finish the game, Ashley looks like a man, all of my companions are boring, oh, the one binary puzzle level was sort of neat albeit a tad frustrating. As I said I played each concurrently, the second I finished the first I started the second, same with second to third. My score relies on the fact to me, from my perspective, that this was and is a piss poor representation to an up to this point, awesome franchise, I think it's ea.. Btw, once bio signed with them most of their games just haven't been the same. Expand
  82. Jun 9, 2013
    I think what hurts this game most is its own hype. By being the final installment of a trilogy, it has a tremendous amount of pressure to tie all loose ends and satisfy story arcs so that gamers will be whetted for a new hero and new series.
    If one plays this stand-alone, which I think is a ridiculous idea, but the game is set up to accustom one for such a scenario it would rank much
    higher.
    But as part of a set and the end of that set, it grades lower. The ending, is such a punch, It really robs the whole theme of the trilogy, perseverance. There was an attempt to fix it, and it works for some, not for others.
    There is good here, it doesn't deserve the absolute bottom of the barrel scores. The Multiplayer gets little mention but has a lot of options as far as if you play an alien, guns, level buildup. When the game was young MP was bustling, but now is old enough the updates have stopped it will be a slow death for it.
  83. Jul 31, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 refines the combat and action of the previous games and presents a conclusion to the story with plenty of memorable moments and tough decisions. However, the pacing dulls a bit, the game becomes repetitive and predictable and the ending, while good in concept, was poorly executed. Not the best in the series, but in the end, a decent game nonetheless if you can overlook the flaws.
  84. Mar 8, 2012
    Terrific addition to the series! Mass Effect 3 is a perfected version of the second game of the trilogy. Mass Effect 2 was terrific and one of the best games I've ever played. For them to be able to add another one to the series with better game play and a better plot is an amazing achievement. Small, yet likable additions have been made to the combat; such as powerful melee attacks, and far more maneuvering and dodging capabilities. In terms of the plot, the characters are always unique and interesting. Although at first glance it may seem tedious, talking to other members of your team never seems to get boring, as they all seem to have relatively interesting back stories. And ignoring the occasional cliches in the dialogue, credit should also be given to the voice actors, who conveyed emotions extremely well.

Some of the most important improvements to game lie in the character customization. Now, players can customize weapons and armor far more extensively. A large variety of perks are available which can improve any characteristics of the weapons and armor. Shops are now available inside the player's own ship, which makes it far less laborious to buy upgrades to weapons and armor.
  85. Mar 11, 2012
    They shipped a broken game. My score for the game reflects that. One of the Mass Effect universes key components was the character import across the games. This now doesn't work. Shame on BioWare & EA.
  86. Mar 12, 2012
    Story: Mass Effect 3's plot has a good pacing and can pull the right emotional strings. Nearly all of the trilogy's plot points are resolved in a satisfying manner, the character's plot pleased me as well. You will witness the consequences of your past decisions. The dialogues are better than ever. There is some automatic dialogue, but only in places where it serves the flow of the conversation, and it never is important or changes your character against your will. Only one thing bothers me in the story department: The ending could have used more build-up, the choices presented seem contrived, there are some illogical aspects. The ending is neither well-written nor satisfying. It doesn't kill the story, but yes, the ending isn't good. Gameplay: Combat is better than ever. Rolls, heavy melee, grenades and new powers benefit the fights greatly. The character system is deep and allows for more customization than any of the predecessors. The weapon system gained depth to, allowing for many upgrades, while never being as clunky as ME1 about it. The new scanning is actually fun, no comparision to the Mako or planet scanning. There is more variety in quests, some interesting boss battles and enemies that requires different tactical approaches. My only gripe here is the quest-log. It is quite confused, mission description are often very unclear. And rolling needs some practice.
    Technical aspects: The voice acting is phenomenal, the music is great, the graphics are good. Some animations are a bit off, but mostly they are fine. I only encountered one big bug, regarding my face import. Irritating, but i can live with it.
    So there are some minor inconveniences and a bad ending to a game that is utterly perfect in nearly every regard. 9/10 points.
  87. Mar 6, 2012
    My favorite part of the trilogy. Had high hopes and it delivered in almost every aspect. It's amazing to see all the various stories, conflicts and character arcs started in ME1 5 years ago get proper resolutions
  88. Feb 6, 2013
    Linear, boring, repetitive and overly scripted missions, no dialogue options, worst reputation system ever, no challenge whatsoever (even on the highest difficulty), multiplayer maps as single-player missions, no side-quests, no bosses, and worst plot ever.
  89. Mar 20, 2012
    A stunning spectacle of modern entertainment. Not only do you get to wrap up many key plots that have emerged within this fantastic trilogy, but the ending itself is a sight to behold. They forego the trappings of a modern WRPG, sacrificing all past choices, and giving you a hard hitting, lucid ending, instead. I can see more than a little 2001: A Space Odyssey, and more than enough Deus Ex influences, which, overall, help the ending immensely. I wouldn't recommend it above any other.

Hold The Line. Keep ME3 the way it is.
  90. Apr 8, 2012
    Please don't hate me: I give this game a 10 because 99% of Mass Effect 3 is amazing and I'm certain that BioWare will inevitably come to their senses and fix the broken 1%.

As to all of you who love Mass Effect but give low Metacritic scores just to get back at BioWare for the ending, just give it a 9, and then say it was because of the ending that you didn't give it a 10.
  91. Mar 11, 2012
    What's behind the puzzling endings for such a great game series. Were they artificially trying to make people feel from their game? Were they trying to keep any new games from being made with the same characters? I am not a bot. I am not a EA hater. I am not part of some vast conspiracy. I just hate the endings. If they would fix the endings. I would change my score. But they wont and i wont. It deserves a 8 it gets a 2 for such really stupid endings. Expand
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    I honestly can't see why anyone would negatively review this game. Yes the game has day one DLC, stop crying. If the DLC had been held for a month no one would have cared. This game is irrefutably amazing so stop giving it a bad score because it deserves every ounce of the 94 critics have given it.

This game is a satisfying end to one of the greatest sci-fi universes of all time. Single
    player is smooth and game play is very fun, however the story is where Mass Effect shines through. The game knows how to keep you interested when you may be tired of the game play. I was also very impressed by the quality of the multiplayer. It may not be as good as Gears or Nazi Zombies but for a game that has always been devoted to singleplayer they pulled off an amazing transition to coop multiplayer. In summary, ignore the haters, buy the game. Don't miss out on one of the greatest games of this generation just because some people are stupid. Expand
  93. Mar 14, 2012
    Just can't recommend the game right now with its current ending. It requires too much investment in the series to get a non-nonsensical ending that defies the series' basic mechanics. If the ending is fixed, then I would recommend the game in an instant, but at the moment it's just not worth the time
  94. Mar 24, 2012
    The plot-hole filled ending poisons the whole series, i was planning on replaying me1-3 but the last 5minutes of the game destroyed the quality and replayability of the series.
  95. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this game with a concentrated effort not to read any reviews or spoilers. Consequently, I was unaware of any controversy until I finished the game and fired up my laptop. I was not surprised to see most of the reviews agreeing with my opinion. The game ended and I literally froze and whispered, "What? No!" I simply could not believe that all the hype, all the buildup, all the emotional investment ended with such a cheap, chintzy ending. None of my in-game choices or my careful maintenance of my paragon rating mattered at all! What is the point of marketing your game as player-driven when none of our choices make any difference? Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2012
    Right before you finished the game, this would probably be your favorite game of all time, however, the ending killed it all, a worst possible ending a Mass Effect fans could expect.
  97. Mar 7, 2012
    It's not the game I anticipated, but it IS a great game. The series came a long way. I was skeptical of the multiplayer component. Bioware blended the customization of ME1 and the streamlined gameplay of ME2. Even though ME2 was an improvement in almost every conceivable way, they listened to fans that took issue with the changes. Now many of the same fans are trolling metacritic.
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 (okay, loathed the Mako and all that crap, but apart from that...) Mass Effect 3? Is a highly polished turd in comparison. The gameplay itself is better, smoother, prettier. The artwork is amazing. The plot? Ahahaha. BioWare decided to go all grimdark; nothing you do matters in the end, and you don't get a proper epilogue that tells you what happened to all your squadmates. No, you get a dude telling his grandson a story about "the Shepard." There is supposed to be some sort of payoff for the sense of urgency the game conveys so well, but no. You and your squaddies just get the shaft because of some badly written Space Magic. It's pretty much "a wizard did it."

Another couple of words I think I'll just leave here, because everyone will know what I mean: Jessica Chobot. :P

I won't be buying any more BioWare games on release day, and they've made it very obvious with their DLC and other marketing that they find the pay-to-win scenario extremely lucrative and worth continuing. So, sale rack it is from now on. For what it's worth, Garrus is one of my favorite characters ever in a game. That I enjoyed the characters (when they weren't being completely screwed over in ME3) is one of the reasons I'm not quitting BioWare completely.
  99. Mar 9, 2012
    I don't get all the negative user reviews here. Mass Effect 3 has been one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in the past couple years in gaming, and I think Bioware did a magnificent job in tieing up all the loose ends as well as bringing all the decisions, from large to very small, together.

The combat is better, and with the addition of being able to mod your weapons, it has
    become more in depth. The game is incredibly cinematic, the graphics are great, barring the occasional pop in, and I've yet to run into any game breaking bugs, and in fact have only encountered one bug where some squad mates got stuck on a ladder, but a revert to the last checkpoint fixed that.

The game is certainly unforgiving, in regards to the decisions you made in previous titles and especially the ones you make in this game. Make no mistake, there is no perfect scenario and often times you're choices are one sacrifice, or another (not unlike the Vermire [sp?] situation in ME1). So maybe that's where all the hate is coming from; because the developers made a game that has actual consequence instead of automatic win scenario?
  100. Mar 29, 2012
    Insane scores on here for this great game. ME3 has moved on from its RPG roots to action/rpg drama. It does this well (but not without flaws). The bad : cover system is not right, day 1 DLC & the infamous ending, which offers virtually identical endings BUT watching the ending for the first time, it is a worthy ending to a great trilogy. The good : Great Story, humour, acting, great graphics, surprisingly good multi player (-cover system), great musical score, great character realisation, improved accessibility, improved combat mechanics, great AI (at higher levels), properly hard mode. It is not a perfect game, but it is pretty close and the best Bioware game since DAO. Just because a game is not perfect does not mean it gets scored at 0. Expand

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.