8.7

1. Sep 1, 2010
    A tear comes to my eye as I think about how best to express the pure joy this game brings. That sense of joy can come from climbing to the top of a mountain on a world at furthest reaches of the galaxy and witnessing an alien sunrise, the stunning and original story line, and even looking down at your feet as you board a cargo ship and see the entire universe below you. All these things can only begin to explain the wonders of this game. Yeah, it's good. Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    This gets a 9 simply because of the mako exploration of planets. I cannot get over how many times I got stuck in some rut and had to restart. Also, there essentially is no autosave; you pretty much reset to the beginning of the mission. That being said, the scale of this game is amazing, and the remainder of the trilogy is even better from here.
  3. Mar 22, 2011
    bioware pretty much nailed this one for the most part. being able to travel in space to different planets uncovering a great mystery backed up with a great story and solid voice acting makes this a solid RPG . the combat system is pretty good kinda gears of war style . alot of places to explore and some great diolouge choices you can make . going good or evil was done very well . the game is about 18-25 hours to beat so its alittle on the short side for a RPG but not short enough to where it bugs me but close . i wish they added space combat in your ship would have been great . also the planets are all pretty empty i wish they made exploration of the planets much more intresting . that aside its still a very solid RPG . Expand
  4. Nov 7, 2010
    An amazing adventure. Mass Effect captures the epic sci-fi atmosphere of movies like Star Trek, Star Wars and the Alien series while still offering tons of new content. Some people might not like the amount of information gathering that has to be done in the early parts of the game but I found them interesting anyway, and even if you personally don't like it there's enough action and freedom to satisfy you if you have a little patience to play through those parts. The only gripes I have with the game would probably be that managing abilities in combat can be a little tricky, and that the NPCs could be a little smarter while fighting. But even with those complaints, Mass Effect still has enough fun in it to satisfy just about anyone. Expand
  5. Nov 19, 2010
    Excellent story, voice-acting, dialogue, RPG elements, world-exploration, graphics, replay value... one of the best console games of all-time. As a long-time fan of Bioware games, I have to say that this may be their finest achievement to date, and may remain so for years to come.
  6. Nov 5, 2010
    This truly is a great game. Great graphics, great music, great story, great characters, and good gameplay. The world is so well developed and you can tell that so much thought went into developing the Mass Effect universe. Mass Effect is very dialogue heavy, so for gamers who prefer constant action, this may not be the game for you.
  7. Nov 24, 2010
    WOW, Mass Effect was an experience in gaming I have never had before. The depth of the game, the immersion that comes with the story, and the massive world of play, not to mention the space opera story, kept me playing this game for days and days on end.
  8. Nov 26, 2010
    Bioware is the company we must thank for all you RPG fans!! They have given us so much and yet they still prevail. This game makes me cry when i realize the time and effort put into this game. The gameplay, customization, and story is flawless. This game is a obvious buy you will put hours into in more than one playthrough. Bioware has failed to disappoint me.
  9. Dec 11, 2010
    Great game. The shooting combat is nice with plenty of side quests and an enthralling story. The RPG elements have been melded very well with the 3rd person shooter combat, and the choice you make mean something, and its not just right or wrong, there can be a lot of grey here, meaing you can really be yourself, not just pure good or evil. As for the elvator rides, yes sometimes they can be boring but the banter that goes on inside it can be quite amusing and interesting. My only real gripe is the inventory system and the boring vehicle sections, but apart form that its great, with a huge amount of cusomization available, a great story and amazing graphics. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2011
    Bioware has once again created a great RPG experience, you will notice it shares resemblance with another Bioware title Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic, but that aside this is truly a unique title, the story and the way you interact with others is great and kept me hooked, and the new talking system is game changing, and truly spectacular move for them, while this game is ahead of it's time with those features, the frame rate issues, clunky targeting system, and other bugs keep this from being as smooth as I would like, those flaws aside if you like the company's other titles or RPGs in general this is one I recommend. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2011
    Mass Effect is impressive, compelling, addictive, rewarding and fun. The main storyline is fascinating and will leave you wanting more. Combat is challenging, multi-faceted and engaging. The characters are well-developed, and the voice acting is superb (although I can't talk to Kaidan Alenko without seeing Carth Onasi in my head). There are myriad side quests, many of which are relatively well-developed and woven neatly into the main plot or other ongoing subplots. Planetary exploration is fun, once you get the hang of driving the Mako. The level system is well thought out, as well.

There are some problems, however. I think there are a total of only 5 or 6 "dungeons," which get recycled over and over and over. There is a side quest for almost every star system, and there are a LOT of star systems. You'll run through the same dungeons (populated by different enemies) time and time again....but you'll still enjoy it. Your party AI is also not very good, specifically on higher difficulties. The inventory system is overwhelming and somewhat annoying. Controls can be a little off, at times. Going in and out of cover isn't always smooth, which will result in more than a few needless deaths on higher difficulties. The mechanics are generally good, though. Overall, this is a really great game with a few elements that will annoy you just enough that you'll have to stop playing it for a few minutes once every 8 hours or so.
  12. Jul 15, 2011
    Sometimes it can be irritating, and the storytelling ( i mean the cut scene the story is perfect) can get annoying, but in same way en-joyful to see your doppleganger interact which rich worlds . The graphics are in par with most of the games nowadays. The combat, is for me , lacking, the only flaw and the thing that infuriate me. But the decisions the best part, changing every path, whit-out even knowing . Best buy for RPG fans. Expand
  13. Feb 26, 2012
    This is a spectacular game!! Rich, deep story line, and a vast and very realistic universe. I enjoyed the variety of weapons and environments and enemies. There is so much to explore! This game is immersive and addicting! I enjoyed the ability to characterize and customize. The weapons are awesome, and the gameplay is great! This game is fun!! The story is truly unique. I loved the decision making, and the plot twists. Great game play, great game. Totally worth multiple play-thoughs! Great job Bioware!! Expand
  14. Mar 22, 2013
    One of the best game worlds of all time. Its pretty insane how they created this universe. Feels like a very real futuristic place.
  15. Mar 12, 2012
    Should I play Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 3? Does playing through the first two games make the wait worth it? I would play through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 numerous times before playing through Mass Effect 3. I absolutely love the series so far. Here is how Mass Effect felt to me. I hope you enjoy.

If I had one word to describe my experience with Commander
    Shepard it would be wow! From touching the Prothean Beacon on Eden Prime to the final battle with a Saren "like" creature. I hate that I am just now finishing it, because I am already on Mass Effect 2. Hopefully, I will get to Mass Effect 3 some time this summer (ha-ha). I have been playing this game since 2009, and due to a couple of "Red Ring's" I had to put-off the game for some time.

This is probably one of the best stories I have ever experienced in over two decades of gaming. Every planet, mission, and side quest told intricate details to flush out the Mass Effect universe even better. The only reason this game lacks the one point needed for the perfect score would be due to two factors. First, on the side mission planets Commander Shepard drives around an SUV like vehicle called a Mako. Unlike the shark the vehicle is named after this Mako is clunky and difficult to drive up mountains (which seem to be in abundance in every planet). The clunky mechanics make it difficult for a completion-ist (like myself) to scavenge every single piece of the world looking for loot. I still did this to most worlds, but near the end of the game the story was so amazing I just did the side quest on the planet and stopped looking around for more loot.

Loot in Mass Effect comes in the form of weapons, weapon mods, bullet mods, armor, medical mods, medi-gel (used to heal the mako, party members, and even Commander Shepard), and grenades. Fun to collect, but by the time I got near the 45-50 hour mark I rarely found anything better than what I already had. The second reason to hold off the perfect score would be world creation. For three of the headlined side quests (where you help your party members) Commander Shepard finds himself in the same bunker. The same bunker appears in about a half dozen planets, and there are others which get recycled in a couple different areas. For Bioware to make a game this large in 2007 means sacrifices like this probably had to be made. I finished it in 2012 where bunkers (dungeons) can be artificially built by AI. I would not say the combat is bad, though I would not say it was great either. Probably due to the year Mass Effect came out, I am comparing it to games years past its time.

It must be saying something where I am comparing this game with titles which have came out in the past 12 months. I loved every bit of the story. I yearned for every second of cut scene I could get.

I have not even spoken about the fact where Commander Shepard's decisions have a lasting effect in the Mass Effect universe. The decisions made in Mass Effect carry over to Mass Effect and Mass Effect three. Also, the characters who die in the first game are dead in the next two. Mass Effect 3 in now in stores, and according to some web sites sold over 800,000 in its first 24 hours. Bioware's publisher EA (Electronic Arts) has shipped over 3.5 million units worldwide. It is no doubt everyone is wanting to play Mass Effect 3.

Without a doubt I would absolutely play Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 before playing Mass Effect 3. Which is why I am now playing the second game with every spare second to finish before I crack into the third entry. Game Informer gave Mass Effect 3 a perfect 10, and IGN gave it a 9.5. I want, with every inch of my being, to go pick up Mass Effect 3 and play for 24 hours straight.

However, Mass Effect 3 will only be a perfect game by bringing in my own save files which make my decisions matter in the "final battle."

I hope this helps you if your trying to debate playing the first two games before starting the third. This series is worth every minute of the hundreds of hours you will spend playing it!
  16. Aug 6, 2012
    Amazing. What can be said about this game which hasn't been already? As a kid raised on Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers etc. I remember longing for the day when I'd be off exploring space in a starship and as puberty hit you realize that day will never come. Mass Effect however get's me as close to that experience as a young kid could wish for (without the hassles of work or death either) and as a game it's a boat load of fun to boot. Does it have flaws? Of course, but they are so minor when compared to the overall experience that I'm not even going to mention them here. If I were to list all the plus points of the game this review would be 100 pages long. A sheer joy to play and a must-buy for anyone with an Xbox 360. Expand
  17. Dec 21, 2011
    Personally, I love Bioware just like I loved KOTOR, I really wasn't expecting much when I bought this game but something new has come in the RPG genre. The 3rd person real-time combat is just great and exploring the world is also awesome, unfortunately, this side quests are really boring such some of the vehicle missions, that didn't drive me into the experience any more. The story is also absolutely wonderful and the characters are strong (at least most of them). Overall this game is amazing and it will really satisfy RPG and 3rd-Person-Shooter fans, this is totally worth your money. Expand
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    One of my favorites of all time, top 3 games. Really fun game, great choices, interesting cast of characters, and a compelling story. Still occasionally pick it up and play. By far the best of the 3 (not that it says much anymore)
  19. Dec 15, 2012
    Never had a sci-fi/rpg/fps been so beautifully done. Starting your journey, you get to choose your character through a decent amount of customizable features and soldier styles. The story is as unique as I've seen in a game but what really makes for exciting gameplay is the decisions you make along the way. You can choose to be a paragon or renegade by helping or hurting others throughout your experience. You also have options when it comes to upgrading your character's skills/abilities. Without spoiling anything, this was one of my favorite gaming experiences when I played it in 2010. Expand
  20. Jan 4, 2014
    This is the best game by far and the best Mass Effect, better than ME2 and ME3. Best game ever! This game has change my life for the better! Thank you Boiware!
  21. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had big hopes for Mass Effect when downloading it from Xbox LIVE. And after creating a character, it was time to venture outside our galaxy, the Milky Way.
    In Mass Effect you play as commander Shepard, the first human spectre, whom has been tasked with hunting down the turian renegade Saren. A former spectre that now works with the geth, a mechanical race of aliens, in search for the reapers. An ancient forgotten race of machines that are said to have exterminated the protheans that created the technology that the modern society uses in everyday life.
    Mass Effect is a roleplaying game with some shooter elements in it. This works very well, except for the in-game that feels clunky when your new to the game.
    When it comes to the graphics, well... They are certainly not the best graphics of the Xbox 360 but it's neither the worst looking game out there. Sometimes the game looks great but the thing is, Mass Effect suffers greatly from frame rate issues. Either after a loading screen or in the midst of battle, the frame rate will suffer. Greatly.
    Then there is the music and I have to say, this is probably on of my favourite video game soundtracks, period. The voices are also great and all the voice actors made a fantastic work giving their voices to Shepard and his friends.
    Mass Effect is a great game with great music, good graphics, and great gameplay. This is probably one of my favourite games and I highly recommend it. Mass Effect gets a 9 out of 10.
  22. May 18, 2014
    Mass Effect. It is quite shocking that before I bought the game just last week, I had never played Mass Effect before. I've heard that this series has been critically acclaimed by critics, and was massively successful, but none of my friends got into it, so I never really got into it. Then I noticed the complete trilogy at a Gamestop, and I decided that maybe now is a good time to try this series out. So, is this game as good as the critics say it is, or are the critics dumb as a sack of hammers? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is a mixture between third-person shooters, and action RPGs. You control a man named Commander Shepard from an over-the-shoulder viewpoint, and you fight enemies with your standard gunplay. This game also has a cover system, which allows you to take cover behind walls, and other objects that might be where you are fighting. There are also RPG elements that allow you to use special abilities during all of the action. These special abilities can help you fight. However, this is just the game's combat. There is so much more to the game than just that. This game is much more of an RPG than a third-person shooter. There are also several parts in the game that involve going around and talking to people, buying new weapons, and exploring the worlds of the Milky Way Galaxy. There are several side quests and other missions to undertake aside from the game's main story. Of course there is also leveling up as with most RPGs. This gameplay is very fun and exciting, and well worth the experience. However, there is one problem with the gameplay that I have a lot of trouble getting over: the Mako. The Mako is a vehicle you often have to use to drive around different planets in the game. It often will get stuck on terrain, and it is extremely difficult to control, making it difficult not to get just a little annoyed with the exploration of other planets in the game. There are also a few bugs and glitches, and the frame rate takes dips here and there, but they don't get in the way of an otherwise solid experience. This is a very fun game to play, but the Mako sections could use a lot more polish, and better driving mechanics. As for the graphics, while I can't say they are the best graphics I've ever seen in a video game, they are great to say the least. The character models look very good, and rich with detail. The ships all look good too. However, I'd say that only some of the environments actually truly look beautiful. Many of the planets in Mass Effect lack detail. The only ones that really seem to have any amount of detail put into them are the ones involved in the main story. The other ones in the game look like just random environments cobbled together to make a large landscape for the Mako to drive on. That's not to say that they look terrible, because they certainly don't. I just wish that the planets had more details on them like more diverse amounts of buildings, and other things like that. The graphics of this game are beautiful, but I sort of wish the environments were just a little better. The story however, is the best part of the entire game. You take control of Commander Shepard, and this character is totally your own character. You get to create him from the start of the game, choose what he specializes in, and what background he has. You also get to decide how events in the story play out. You can choose both good and bad options throughout this game's story, and they'll have a great effect on the rest of the game. As for the story itself, basically you find out that an ancient robotic race called the Reapers is coming to destroy all organic life in the universe, and it's up to you to stop them from ever attacking. This story is very unique in how it revolves entirely around you, and that's what makes it so amazing. Overall, I have to say that the critics were right when they said that this game was an amazing experience. This game is really fun to play, has great graphics, and a spectacular story. This game is a must-buy if you love science fiction, RPGs, or even if you are just a normal gamer.
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Story: 10/10
    Overall: 9/10
  23. Mar 13, 2014
    A brilliant game, and one of the best games I've ever played. All I can say is, if you haven't played it before, go out and get it. The only two problems it has if the frame-rate frequently drops, especially during combat, and it takes you completely out of the experience. The other problem is that the auto save function isn't very well used. You can lose half an hour of gameplay easily, but that's easily countered by saving manually. As I said before, it you haven't played it before, go out and play it now! Expand
  24. Oct 29, 2012
    BioWare did it again!!! One of the most cinematic games of all-time, something that's definitely helped by a fantastic story, great writing, movie-quality direction, and strong voiceover work.
  25. Oct 8, 2012
    I've played a lot of Science Fiction games during my lifetime. I can honestly say that Mass Effect is the best game in the genre. The opening backstory "Mass Effect" is not so amazing to start off with, but then you see the impact of the backstory right before your eyes as you progress through the game. The story keeps getting stronger and more exciting from there, and more emotional.

The game was so good that I couldn't wait for Mass Effect 2: an amazing game that while being great, lacks some of the feel that I felt when playing the first Mass Effect. Play Mass Effect. If you haven't, you should. This is the kind of video game not meant for gamers. This one is based around character development, story and moral choices that are hard to achieve in this gaming age.
  26. Aug 29, 2010
    One of the best games of this console generation. Maybe ever. This masterpiece by Bioware does admittedly contain a few combat errors, but once you get a hang of it the fun is endless. I played through this thing at least 10 times, and could still go again. Most bad reviewers complain about "boring exploration" and what-not, but that is only because these people are used to the high-octane, nonstop action of FPS's and other linear games. My only criticisms come from a few story disappointments (why can't I save the thorian? And leave the rachni to the council?) . Otherwise, don't hesitate to go buy this amazing game. Expand
  27. Aug 31, 2010
    Have yet to play mass effect 2 but simply put this game is amazing. It has sci-fi, guns, dialogue trees, Seth Green and an amazing story. A must buy for anyone who owns a 360.
  28. Sep 3, 2012
    Begins the fantastic Mass Effect series with a new style of Action RPG's, taking themes and designs from KOTOR. A flawed masterpiece mass effect struggles with combat, level design, and of course the Mako. But underneath all the flaws is one of the greatest video games I have played.
  29. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = There are so many bad aspects about this game, but the good overrules the bad in so many ways. This game has one of the greatest atmospheres of all time to name one thing. Innovative as well.
  30. Nov 4, 2010
    Mass Effect is all about good story, great revelations, long worthwhile lenght gameplay, 25/30 hours... It posses a great artistic direction, awesome dialogues, great action! Some place are repetitive to visit like a paste and copy work, the graphics may have too much pop-in with weak anysotropic... But the rest makes this game of my favourite games of all time! Mass Effect is my favourite game in this console generation... Expand
  31. Feb 5, 2012
    Mass Effect is one of the greatest games Ive ever played. The story is wonderful, the game is a unique experience every time due to the ability to make your own decisions. No complaints in the combat department, and I have very few in the graphics department. My only real gripe is that I found the final boss battles pretty lame, but that turned out okay cause the ending was so great. High nine out of 10, Bioware **** rules. Expand
  32. Mar 25, 2012
    Mass Effect is an amazing game, albeit deeply flawed. The gameplay is mediocre at best and horribly boring at worst, especially those Mako sections. That being said, the reason the game is still incredible in spite of its problems is that it has a marvelous story with some incredible decision-making sequences along the way. It has moments that are guaranteed to send a chill down your spine. On top of that, it introduces the player to some amazing characters that you will enjoy talking to more than 90% of the people you know in real life. It isn't a perfect game, but it does deliver a perfect experience. Expand
  33. Aug 9, 2011
    This game can only be described in two words, purely amazing, I mean from all the information the designers of this game put into it to all the different planets you can discover, its just pure fun and really it signifies what Humanity is about, exploration and Curiosity. The only flaw is if you don't save periodically you can find yourself having to restart the whole mission, which believe me, is very frustrating, but other than that, its flawless Expand
  34. Apr 24, 2011
    Not much can be said that hasn't already. Awesome universe, graphics that still impress today despite the glitches, and fun game mechanics (once you get used to them). Other than a few exceptional ones (like Wrex, Liara), the characters in here are not quite as interesting as Mass Effect 2's, but they serve the story well. This game overcomes its flaws due to its engaging, intricate story and universe, and a really successful art style and music. While Mass Effect 2 got the shooter/rpg hybrid feel better, this one sets up the series wonderfully, and is crucial for anyone who wants a fun sci-fi rpg. Expand
  35. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some superfluous RPG elements,this is one of the finest games made.With a brilliant story,characters and setting,become Commander Shepard(Male or Female) and explore the galaxy in the search for a way to stop the Reapers,sentient alien spacecraft who destroy all organic life in an endless cycle repeated every 50,000 years.Visit alien worlds,recruit bounty hunters,assassins,scientists and soldiers to uncover the secrets of the past and future.Get to know your ship and crew intimately,and fight the extinction! Expand
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that started the ''The next Star Wars franchise of this new generation'' clearly showed, why it would become the next most iconic sci-fi piece of work since over the last decades. Pointing out a few negatives, the Geth Hoppers were extremely silly and annoying at most times due to the fact you couldn't have a proper clear shot and that gets you into shouting ''Stand still, you stupid robot frog!''. Another negative I would point out is the annoying 'Ally' achievements that take a lot of time and additional money to spend to get them. Of course, the main reason why I would give this game a 10 is because of the weaponry and ammo varieties you got from it that made this game enjoyable, the complex and emotional story line certainly delivers appeal. The best part, emotionally, was the pressure you had on saving Wrex and then either having Kaidan or Ashley to die as heroes on Virmire. The planetary exploration especially was very, very intriguing, and super fun, which added to the mystery of every accessible planet each time you found an Anomaly on your radar with the Mako, loved the ''Bring Down The Sky'' DLC, especially the high-key, intense ambient soundtrack while outside the impending asteroid! Mass Effect's abstract animation and film grain added to the fun factor of this game! Mass Effect 1 is the progeny of a new revolutionary sci-fi era! Although a few extremely weird glitches popping up time by time, it wasn't enough to make me downgrade the score to 9, this and it's successor ME2 are a work of sci fi art! Expand
  37. Feb 12, 2012
    Bioware have created a game set in a wonderful universe with exciting places to discover populated with unforgettable characters, with a very decent combat and leveling up systems and a fantastic storyline.
  38. Mar 27, 2011
    So many years on and I still cant get enough of this game. After 11 plays already theres still enough replay value to go back and do it all over again. The uniqueness of decisions, the weight they ultimately hold just the immersion value is staggering. I really do feel sorry for people who use the interactive comic for the PS3, they have no idea what they are missing. I also find the flaws of the game, namely the Mako, are what helps make it for me. I love planet exploration and mineral searching. It adds to the epic space adventure and exploration. Something I sorely missed in ME2. The vastness of the Citadel, of world landscapes, and the general scope of the game make it so compelling to play time and time again. The enemies you face of Saren and Sovereign I find are without equal. Words cant adequately express how much I love this game. My favourite game of all time! The 10/10 bar simply isn't high enough!! Expand
  39. Mar 2, 2012
    Played and beaten Mass Effect 2 with a very excited mood, but when play again Mass Effect to get the original storyline and characters, it is still very impressive. Let´s forget the combat, which is a little awful, look at the storyline, an epic one, it will keep you hours just investigating and to understand more and more. Oh, one last thing: forget all of the assignments, they will bother you pretty much, and dilute you from enjoying the game. Expand
  40. May 6, 2011
    Mass effect is a fantastic game which really stretches what the rpg gender of games can do. The fact that it is set in space really made it for me since i am a bit of a sci fi freak. The gamplay and storyline are exceptionally good as as are the graphics and music. Another plus point is the upgrade and levelling up system. The only slight concerns i had about the game was the comat system could have been better. Also by the time you reach level 30 the levelling up becomes a bit pointless because all the important skills you need you already have. All in all a very good game and one i would highly recommend. Expand
  41. Jun 2, 2011
    One of the best RPG's of all time. Certainly of this gen. Almost everything in this game is outstanding. The only things that were annoying was the Mako and the inventory management which doesn't take much from the game at all I think. Outstanding game. One of the best.
  42. Jun 26, 2011
    Absolutely deserves all of the attention that it got and more, and easy 10/10. And yes, the game is that good. Mass Effect 1 is my 2nd favourite game, the first being the sequel !!
  43. Jul 28, 2011
    Mass Effect is definitely one of the best game of all time. An impressive and original story , great graphics, and you get sucked into the universe of Mass Effect. For some reason, this feels like a realistic version of Star Wars with themes of xenophobia, space colonization, and freedom of thought. A lot of replay value is in this game , because you can make a new character for making bad choices or good choices. You can also import your existing Mass Effect character into Mass Effect 2. There are some issues like dumb squad A.I or enemy A.I , some framerate issues, and the Mako controls . The issues don't detract from the experience. I highly recommend this game. 10/10 Expand
  44. Jul 25, 2011
    Impresionante, uno de los mejores juegos que he tenido el placer de disfrutar. La historia es completamente de novela de ciencia ficción, Un RPG excepcional, acompañado por una buena ambientación. Gráficos a la altura de los tiempos, gran calidad, emoción, seducción, acción y una jugabilidad que al principio (hasta que terminas de entender como se usa tu personaje y como complementarlo con tus compañeros que tienes en el equipo) parece aburrida e incluso un poco difícil de entender, pero luego de pasar algunas misiones esto se convierte en un control sencillo e imprescindible para sobrevivir en cada fase.
    Totalmente recomendado para pasar unas cuantas semanas sumergido en una historia sumamente original.
    Recomiendo guardar las partidas en forma manual, ya que el autoguardado te puede dar sorpresas inesperadas, como morir al final de una fase y tener que empezarla casi desde el p¡rincipio !!!
    Conclusión: comprarlo sin dudar, ya que la segunda parte esta en el mercado hace tiempo y ya sale una tercera que promete dejarnos con la boca abierta.

Un saludo

Luchinelrey (Luchin Shepard para los amigos) XD
  45. Aug 15, 2011
    One of my favourite games ,a tear comes to my eye while describing it.I think this should sum it up!!The game play is awesome with some control issues but other than that and some audio this game is awesome.
  46. Oct 6, 2012
    Yes the mako missions were a pain and the autosave was crap, but i still cannot give this game anything but a 10 still. The gameplay, once i got it down, it was so gooooood. Not to mention this campaign is no question the best i have ever played. Amazing story.
  47. Sep 25, 2011
    Mass Effect is great and definitely one of the greatest rpgs game of this generation. After a long time Bioware has finally made a series that can live up to the classic Stars Knights of the Old Republic series. Mass Effect has an amazing story, it is very well written, in depth and has excellent characters and settings. Its amazing Sci-Fi Universe is the quite possibly the best I have seen in any Sci-Fi game to date. Considering this game came out in 2007 the graphics look great, the environments look great if a bit repetitive at times, the characters models for both humans and aliens look excellent and the animations are still really good despite not being crisp there are a few frame rate issues but all in all the game still looks beautiful. The voice acting is also well done especially for the aliens it seems all the voice actors are into their characters, however the voice acting for some of the humans in the game can be a little cheesy and corny at times, but the voice acting is still excellent and better than most of the games out there. As far as the gameplay is concerned there are both pros and cons. First of all the good thing is that the game allows you to play in one of the six different classes given to you in the beginning of the game each classes have their own special abilities and skills that can be upgraded and also each class uses a different combination of weapons. When you play the game through once on one class than replay it with another class you will feel like you are playing a completely different game thats how deep and varied the game's classes and rpg elements are. The game also gives the player dialogue options which is the first of its kind seen in a game and a player can choose to respond in a way he wants to. The player can also decide to be a goody two shoe, a neutral guy or an evil guy in all these dialogue options. The player gets experience by even doing the smallest of things and once the player has enough points he can level up and spend skills points earned from the level up in the skills tree to improve his abilities and the abilities of the squad mates. Speaking of Squad mates here comes the Cons of the gameplay the Squad mates are just absolutely useless in combat they shoot at walls and boxes instead of shooting directly at the enemy, while you are allowed to tell them when to use their special abilities they don't use them on their own and there are also moments when the squad mates freeze forcing you restart from a previous save or wait for a cutscene to trigger. On top of all that your squad mates die very quickly and are not that competitive. The enemy A.I is good but not great most of them take cover in the wrong way allowing you to kill them easily and sometimes they decide to charge at you when they are taking heavy fire all these moments kind of make the combat annoying and painful at times. the game has alot of guns and mods but the gun do not have that much variety the only difference really is the amount of damage they do and the amount of shots they fire before overheating. The mods are good but they do not make your weapons that much better as you can only install one mod at a time and they still do not work that well against large enemies. The armor and armor mods in the game are good but once again lack variety. All the weapons, armor and mods go in your inventory and the game has a 150 item limit for your inventory once you break the limit the inventory shoves it in your face to convert s**t to omni gel every time you break the item limit all that was really annoying and painful. Than comes the Mako I know people have mixed feelings about it, I for one found it fun to us in combat early on than it got repetitive and the controls that are assigned to it are auite possibly the worst controls I have seen assigned to vehicle in a video game. The game also has hit detection issues sometimes when you shoot enemies in the head they don't get hurt at all sometimes when you shoot in thin air enemies die from head shot and sometimes the Mako's attacks don't hurt the enemies at all, the combat is not totally broken these problems do not happen all the time but they are there and kind of hurt the gameplay and make the combat more annoying than fun. The game's sidequests have a good background and give you choices but they can get repetitive and the infrastructure for the indoor areas of all the sidequests is almost the same and even the outdoor environments on most of planets look the same as well I understand the depth and the size of this game and the amount of effort it took to make it but this is kind of inexcusable or part of Bioware. In conclusion I would like to say that Mass Effect is great game and despite some flaws is one of the best rpgs of this generation and one of Bioware's greatest efforts if you love rpgs and are a fan of Bioware's games than you should definitely get this game you will have a blast. 9/10. Expand
  48. Jan 20, 2014
    This is one of the best games ever made, it has a stunningly good original story line that doesn't disappoint. The amount of joy one experiences at the end of the journey is awesome and this is a must buy for everyone interested in a good role play shooter game and a good story. The game also has an amazing soundtrack that completes the story very well.
  49. Feb 19, 2013
    I am writing this well after the fact. This game would have gotten a 10 if not for two aspects of the game (both of which are corrected in the sequels. The storytelling/storyline that this game starts is one of the best in modern gaming. The story is so well done that it has you thinking about it long after you have finished playing (much like a good book or TV series). However, if you are expecting great graphics, you will be sadly wanting. The graphics are definitely stuck in 2006. The gameplay is awesome with the exception of two aspects: Driving the Mako is maddeningly frustrating and the massive inventory of gun and gun upgrades. The physics of the mako movement work very poorly on the 360---you can tell it was designed with the linear gameplay of a PC in mind. Their are simply too many gun models in the game, 2/3rds of which are so bad you will never equip them. By mid-game you end up using the game guns no matter how many of the other models you get. Its pointless. That being said, the game provided just enough side quests (even with the repetitive environments) to satisfy the happy level grinder in me. Overall I loved this game and couldn't stop playing it. Expand
  50. Oct 24, 2011
    The Bioware team really know how to spin a tale, and this is what they do really well with Mass Effect. You are submerged into this amazing Sci-fi universe with all these different creatures and races, which are very detailed in the 'Codex' part of the menu. You play Commander Shepard, who's is and Human and who's background you can choose for yourself. There are also a variety of classes to pick from The only thing which bugs me about Mass Effect is it's clunky controls which can take away the experience if you aren't really interested in story. But Mass Effect really attaches you to all the characters, sometimes you hate them and sometimes you love them! If you are really into RPG's this game is a must have! This is story telling at its best! Expand
  51. Feb 4, 2013
    I couldn't help but jumping back in and playing through the first game again. While the game's mechanics are a little archaic, Mass Effect is filled with imagination, a stellar combat (minus the wonky cover system), fantastic and memorable characters all woven into an amazing story. I seriously can't put it down. Again. This series is the real deal, folks.
  52. Nov 9, 2011
    This game was a total joy to play. The amount of detail that went into crafting the races and the cultures in this game were amazing. It was a ton of fun that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of gaming in general. The only thing that could have made this game any better was the things that they implemented in the sequel which made game fantastic in its own right.
  53. Nov 10, 2011
    A amazing game, although not a full RPG and doesn't have a massive map. (The biggest thing in this game is the citadel). It is still very fun game and Bioware have done a good job with this.
  54. May 19, 2012
    Mass effect is the final piece of the puzzle that game are an art form the story is the best part I could not stop playing it was that good even if you don't like RPGs get it just for the story
  55. Nov 20, 2011
    Boring game. You will spend 15min walking, to see a 10min cinematic, to have a 3min battle. and repeat. I've played decent RPG's before but this is just amateur hour
  56. Nov 24, 2011
    Phrases like "genre defining" and "revolutionary" are thrown around far too cavalierly in gaming, but Mass Effect is one of the few that actually deserves these kudos. Set in an immersive sci-fi universe, Mass Effect combines solid gameplay mechanics with an outstanding story to create a game that is part RPG, part action, and all entertainment. Difficulty can be adjusted to either provide a strong combat challenge or provide more story-centric gameplay by easing combat. At its heart, this game is about putting you, the player, into an engrossing science fiction epic, easily on par with a grand space opera like Star Wars. User interface is excellent, particularly the dialog system. Players are not part of a static story that will play out the same every time; the choices made at every point in the game have dramatic effects on the world and plot. The release of the sequel means that the decisions made in this game not only affect this story, but the plot in installments to come. Players have the option to customize weapons and armor with in-game mods, which, combined with a variety of character classes, means that combat can be tailored to one's own style. There is, amid this glowing review, a few points where the game does have rough spots. After the initial mission, the game has a very slow start and requires some patience. Combat mechanics are not perfectly smooth, and there is no intuitive cover system. Finally, controls for the ground vehicle are inaccurate and awkward, which can be a source for some frustration. Even with these issues, however, Mass Effect still stands out as one of the best games ever produced. Now that Mass Effect is in the Platinum Hits collection and has a series of DLC packs that are truly entertaining, any true sci-fi fan with an Xbox should own a copy of this game. Expand
  57. Dec 8, 2011
    Best final hour of any game I ever played. Well written and well made. One of my, if not my favorite game I ever played. A true pleasure to play. Bioware at it's best.
  58. Jan 17, 2012
    Relatively short, but fun RPG. I finished this, but I could not finish Mass effect 2.. I loved the shooting mechanics and the crosshair in this game as opposed to mass effect 2's crosshair.
  59. Jan 6, 2012
    This is one of the most immersive games you will ever play. The way you are able to interact with other characters and customize the story and experience are delightful. The combat was a little flawed but this was fixed in the sequel. Great game.
  60. Jan 16, 2012
    It is hard to put into words how good this game is. The total immersion i felt with it was immense. It pulled me into the world, made me feel what my character felt, the choices and twists and turns of the story are unlike any game out there and nothing has really got to me like this game did. Mass Effect is so well balanced, great story, alongside great gameplay and action. Cannot wait to get my hands on ME2 and the upcoming ME3. Expand
  61. Feb 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has such a good story, that it really is hard to even care about the small faults that some other users have complained about. Imagine an epic tale where you, the character is center to saving an entire galaxy from an almost invulnerable enemy. The interactions with characters is so good, that you'll form opinions about them and root for them, or despise them. Yes its true that there aren't good side quests in this game. I do not think the weapon inventory system is bad at all, I think its very simple and straightforward. The action is pretty good, though it does tend to be on the easy side. The mako is fun and only idiots are unable to use it. My real reason for not giving this a ten is because that the morality meter in comparison to other Bioware games is not fleshed out enough. You don't really ever be evil, you can either be a nice guy or a renegade, which is basically just no compassion. But really you never get the oppourtunity to take power or join Saren or do anything that would be described as evil. That is the one thing that brings this game down. And don't tell me about the whole choice about killing the Council, I don't see that as evil, as you are giving power to HUMANITY, not yourself. Expand
  62. Feb 10, 2012
    First let me say I love the people who gave this game zero's or very low scores. I love how they **** about how long and boring the game is. They obviously did no homework or just didn't understand what the game was supposed to be. I'm writing I know years after its release but I feel the need deal with it. Mass effect is an epic game both in story and scope. I for one love then fact it had no multiplayer online play, that is an aspect of gaming that is focused sadly far to much now a days. I actually am a bit upset that mass effect 3 will require me to play the online play to get an easier true ending. I also loved the length and fact there was more then button bashing, mindless explosions and retard "go to check point B and kill this, then go to check point C and kill this" that crap gets old really fast and is pointless. If you wanted a FPS then go get MW3 or some other mindless shooting game and live on line shooting your friends in the head. The AI was horrible and some of the planet scenes being just vast wastelands is the reason I gave it a 9/10 and not a full 10. The charactors, story, dialogue and movie feel this game has is the reason I'm excited and love to play games in this generation and why I can't wait for the next gen consoles to come out. This game was a good buy 50 and is still a good buy at 20 which is the going rate for a used copy. Expand
  63. Mar 14, 2012
    An incredibly original, smart and powerful space opera RPG. I can't say enough good things about this game. For it's time, the graphics and controls were top notch. Yes, there was an issue with managing inventory but really that's a small detail. Overall this is an impressive game with an excellent soundtrack, voice cast and story where your decisions matter.
  64. Mar 24, 2012
    The deepest, richest, most story-driven game I've ever experienced. The characters alone are so powerful they will have you on a journey you will never want to end. If you like the deep rich plot and character exploration of books, the action and suspense of movies and the freedom of Sci-Fi games, you need Mass Effect.
  65. Mar 13, 2012
    was a great game, revolutionary, unique...

shame that after they destroyed, Thx EA Games you are a big cancer...

this franchise never had to have left the microsoft, sorry dudes, but is a sad reality.
  66. Mar 15, 2012
    I have played many games from now to when I was five years old sneaking on the Nintendo at three in the morning. There was a time I went through a stage of not really getting into stories from many games because many stories just seemed the same. The great thing about Mass Effect was it really grasped me, and I actually felt like I was in the story. It has a few minor things that keep it from perfection, but I strongly advise this game if you want to be brought into the world of science fiction from a video game. 10 Expand
  67. Mar 18, 2012
    It gives you a sense, that you're a part of big adventure. And it actually does you a part. Unforgettable experience. Maybe the last great story of our generation. Nothing compares.
  68. Mar 21, 2012
    A amazing game. You can choose what kind of person you can be and many variety of weapons and armor. Also a very well done dialogue. Ultimately what ever you do will effect what will happen in the future. Only thing from this game getting a perfect score is the pointless side quest not ALL side quest are pointless but most are and all of them are pretty much the same.
  69. Nov 29, 2012
    Mass Effect is the best sci-fi game in years. You play as Commander Shepard, an Alliance military commander assigned to the SSV Normandy. After a mission on Eden Prime goes wrong you are left with images of the galaxy's imminent destruction at the hands of a synthetic race known as the Reapers. With time running short you must gather a team, learn more about the Reapers and track down every possible lead to stop the Reapers 50,000 year cycle and save the galaxy.
    Mass Effect combines third person shooting with RPG gameplay, causing fast intense shootouts and detailed skill trees, levelling and inventory systems to work cohesively and with ease. A must play for shooter and RPG fans.
  70. Apr 3, 2012
    An amazing narrative where your choices affect your journey. It's the best example of conversational and technical sci-fi. Bioware built a complex and malleable story focused on you avatar's interaction with interesting characters. The gameplay is also amazing, allowing for the pace of a shooter for the enjoyment of an RPG. There's little better than taking down one target through a sniper's scope and then taking out his friend with a biotic blast. It's a rich and rewarding universe that encourages exploration and vast numbers of replays. Expand
  71. May 5, 2012
    This game is RPG storytelling perfected. A wonderfully complex good/evil structure forcing the player to go deeper than simply do this and do that. Player customization is deep and rewarding and playing the gamethrough as different characters yields unique combat experiences. The pacing some will find slow, but in a game rich in story, a slower movement allows for more to be taken in and enjoyed. Great game start to finish. Expand
  72. May 1, 2012
    Just one of the best games which I was able to play in all my player's career. Scenario incredibly well tied up, charming characters, revolutionary gameplay so to speak, and really remarkable graphics for period ! Although the passages in Mako are one so much is little irritating on edges, we appreciate all the same the vast universe whom is Mass Effect. I advise it to every player. Life expectancy of 30 hours for somebody who has never played it, 15-20h for the others. Expand
  73. Jun 18, 2012
    Im going to be honest...I played the second game first. However, I feel that while the combat in Mass effect is pretty awful at first, the story is great. Mass Effect is a fantastic game. The characters, however, are not quite as fleshed out as in the other games. However, they are still pretty entertaining. The game does have the occasional glitch but that doesnt stop it from being a good game.
  74. Jun 20, 2012
    Space, the final frontier. A place often visited by video games but seldom depicted with such grace. Mass effect is a space orientated 3rd person shooter based in a galaxy similar to ours with varied alien races controlling it. You play the role of Commander (Insert Name) Shepard, a Spectre, and commander over the ship the Normandy. You follow the epic journey of Shepard and his team and attempt to slave the galaxy from those who threaten it. The game brings so many new ideas to the table. The one that really stuck for me was choices that ACTUALLY effect the storyline. Dynamic conversations allow you to take several routes of storyline leading to new places every playthrough. The game even features the talented Seth Green as a voice actor. The gameplay is smooth with varied enemies to fight with different attributes and characteristics which you must adapt to. The game has beautiful graphics and scenery for it's time and a wonderful soundtrack. If I was to complain about anything it would be two things ; the game takes some time to get into and the guns heat up rather than a bullet system. I know the second sounds silly but is more a pet hate of mine. Overall if you a fan of Bioware, rpgs, shooters and space, there's no reason not to like this game. Just remember "You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than commander Shepard!" -Miracleofsound. Expand
  75. Jun 27, 2012
    A very engrossing and entertaining rpg/action game. A great story backed by an extremely satisfying conclusion bring this game into one of my favorite Xbox 360 games.

***SOUP'S GAME OF THE YEAR 2007***
  76. Jul 11, 2012
    Although the worst game of the trilogy, Mass Effect still delivers. It doesn't have the depth of planet exploration like the others, but it is still an awesome game. Very addicting, after I played it I HAD to beat the whole trilogy.
  77. Jul 17, 2012
    I'm jumping on this bandwagon a little bit late, having just finished this game with both 2 and 3 already out. This is truly an excellent game, exciting and fast-paced, and truly designed with the characters in mind. The player has an amazing amount of control in how they develop, and although a certain sequence of quests cannot be avoided or changed majorly, your decisions can have a huge impact on the game world. The only issue I had with this game was the tutorial at the very beginning. It sucked. I made it through it without truly understanding all of the controls, and spent several of the first quests still figuring out how to use necessary skills. Other than this rocky beginning, this was a truly amazing gaming experience, and I am very excited to continue the series. Expand
  78. Feb 15, 2013
    This game has been so controversial that I even can't understand why. ME1 is the first of hopefully a trilogy not 20 random sequels or stuff like, ME1 had me like, playing for months, I couldn't stop playing, BIO'-WARE thank you so much. ME1 and ME3 are the only one's I played and ME1 is a lot better but I did not play ME2 so I can't just choose which is the best or the worst. This has to be like the best role-playing game ever made, nah don't talk about that stupid Dragon Age or WoW or Diablo, I've seen enough of that The game also has great emotional scenes, and great voice acting and great graphics, I think everything is amazing about ME1. 9/10 Expand
  79. Aug 7, 2012
    Within the first 1 or 2 hours into the game, I already knew my purchase was worth it, the interactivity in the new story where I could pick my own outcomes was great, I had never felt such an experience, the graphics were great for it's time and I think it was definitely game of the year 2007. The one and only problem I had was the driving around on random planets with the Mako, it was required to get the 'Completionist' achievement, it did get a little annoying scaling all of those mountains. Expand
  80. Aug 15, 2012
    As a world, as a story, this game executes flawlessly. This is the kind of game that will make you pull all nighters just to find out what will happen next. The combat mechanics aren't the greatest, but that is not the point of a bioware game. Bioware games used to be all about the engrossing character arcs, the progression from lowly peon to the greatest of all time. They were never the best at character animation or gameplay mechanics, but that was all superfluous because there was never a company that made you want to play the game quite like bioware has. This has all changed ever since they sold out their company to ea as is evidenced by the horrendous direction the series has gone in. They have sacrificed the thing that made them unique in order to become a more homogenized game developing machine. Game development used to be a passion for bioware, now it is simply about which corners to cut and which variable should be maximized to gain the biggest market share and blah blah blah, all at the expense of true vision and a passionate, quality product.

This game and the first dragon age are the swan song of the bioware of old. This is a game everyone who loves consistent, chill-inducing dialogue and a breathtaking universe to explore should play. But for the love of god, stay away from the sequels, the stripped down cash grabs that they are. If you see one, burn it with fire.
  81. Sep 26, 2012
    I have never experienced more joy while playing a game than this. This could be one of my favorite games of all time. I was a little late to the party for this game, after hearing how great it was i decided to give it a shot and thank god I did! I love story based games, I love creating characters, making choices, and this game is perfect for that. I also really appreciate the option to be a girl because most games do not have that. The romances are also really fun and the decision making feels real. When i was on a mission and had to choose which squad member died I sat in my spot for an hour thinking about it. The story telling is just nothing short of brilliant and I love this game. My only gripes are the fact that some of the mechanics need to be improved. But all in all this game is brilliant. Expand
  82. Dec 8, 2012
    As a fan of Star Wars I played Kotor back in 2003 and it was an awesome unique Xbox experience. Not only was the game technically impressive but Bioware had left a mark in RPG's with great storytelling/interface. I never really liked Sci-fi apart from SW and I skipped Mass Effect back in 2007. Even now in Dec 2012 im surprissed to comment that the game looks amazing and Im digging it even more than Kotor. It feels more original and less cumbersome in alot of aspects. Bioware has definitely crafted an interesting universe and Im looking forward to playing the sequels. Expand
  83. Oct 9, 2012
    I hate looking like one of those stupid fanboys that automatically scores a game a 10. I can assure you I am a fanboy well earned. I had an absolute blast with every single second of this game. I put it in, feeling very uncertain (at the time I didn't keep up with videogame news and had no idea what it was, just decided it looked cool). It quickly grabbed me and 5 years later I still commend it as one of the greatest games I have ever played. Yes it does have some minor issue, the elevator rides were excuses for long loading screens and some texture popping issues, but nothing that makes this game any less than perfect. It is truly the pinnacle of perfection for story telling in gaming, or any for of entertainment for that matter. This is the incredibly rare perfect game, the perfect diamond, the unicorn....GET IT Expand
  84. Mar 9, 2013
    Mass Effect started one of the best, if not the best sci-fi RPG trilogies of all time. Even today, it's story, characters, and massive universe to explore remain almost unparalleled. Although the gameplay is very clunky, it's still decent enough to be enjoyable to play.

You will grow to love the characters Bioware has written, and possibly spend countless hours getting lost in the
    Citadel or exploring Uncharted Worlds. Even the soundtrack is beautiful. Honestly, if you haven't picked Mass Effect yet... what are you waiting for? Expand
  85. May 14, 2013
    Incredible, epic space-opera RPG, those who came up with Mass Effect has a fantastic imagination, this game is so awesome and kept me busy with months of gameplay and work. While it does focus a bit too much on humans (just about all the assignments and things revolve around them). Mass Effect has so much things for you to do, a great level up system, fantastic characters with excellent voice acting and an exciting story very well imagined. Expand
  86. Feb 6, 2013
    Probably the best story of any game, any time period.
    I think it is even better than Star Wars V, there I said it!
    Bad maps in the citadel, takes a long time to explore a planet.
    Other than that, great game!
  87. Dec 3, 2012
    I great game that I have played through three times, Mass Effect is a game centered around your decisions, which I cannot go into since it would lead to spoilers. Just know that it is a futuristic world, where you live among alien races each with their own goals. The Turians are badass, they have the best military and a seat on the council. The Quarians are the most mysterious, all you really know at the start is that they created these robots called the Geth that want to kill you. The asari are the mono gendered leaders of the council who are the wisest species given the fact they live over a 1000 years unless they get shot in the face. The Salarians are the mad scientists who act like kids you picked on in middle school. Last but not least you have the Krogans who are warriors and love to fight and kill stuff, like the Geth. This is just an overview of the species, the story to mass effect is so crazy that it keeps you wanting to play so you can dive into the universe it portrays. I could tell u more, but what is the fun f that? Just know that its campaign is centered around a awesome futuristic universe, and not as detailed as an Elder Scrolls Game. Expand
  88. Dec 31, 2012
    This game is fun to play and more then once. It gives you the options to create your own male or female characters with different profiles, appearance, and powers. You have a choice what order to do the main or side missions, and you can choose what kind of relationship to have with your crew and how to react to other characters in the game - You can be a jerk, nice guy, or somewhere in between. You have different weapons, armor, and abilities as different characters. And you can choose who will join you on a mission. The graphic and sound effects are good. I turn off the music so I can't comment on it. The missions are interesting and can be challenging. However, the game does have some hangups (IMO): Upgrading your teams equipment is kind of cumbersome, all the planets seem to repeat their terrain, just in a different color and weather. The game locked up on me a few times, but I was able to recover from it because I had the Auto Save turned on. Driving the Mako land cruiser is a pain, especially when trying to take out the enemy and avoid getting hit by missiles so It take time to get used to. And finally the AI/Enemy reactions become predicable so they are easy to take out. This game was/is totally enjoyable to play and I'm looking forward to playing #2 and #3 in the series. Expand
  89. Jan 2, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece. Space exploration gives the player a sense of wonder and excitement. The open universe created behind this game is beautiful and believable. The combat is all about strategy and using your skills to the fullest. The character customization, while not deep, is still enough to get you to want to play your character. The different stories for your teammates are interesting and allow you to connect with each one on a more personal level. The graphics are marvelous. Your choices actually have an effect on the story and gameplay (Duh! It's an RPG!). Ten out of ten for me. Expand
  90. Feb 11, 2013
    A great game with fantastic original lore and story. There are some weaknesses like driving the Mako and repeated side quest maps, but all in all the story keeps you interested. The inventory system is a tad clunky but it has the best RPG elements of the three Mass Effect games. It has has plenty of oh snap moments and though you can create a wishy washy character, the game offers some great moments if you stick to an all good or all renegade type character as options become available in the dialogue for staying consistent. The game play when engaging enemies is a bit underwhelming but I can't stress enough the world of mass effect and the graphics alone are reasons to play this game at what I imagine is probably now a reduced price. Expand
  91. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is full of glitches, a terrible frame-rate, pop in issues and boring side missions. Then why does it get a 9? Because everything else in the game is amazing. The gameplay is tight, full of RPG elements that keep it continuously interesting. The characters are all great, and the sense of freedom is spot on. However, the best aspect of Mass Effect is its story. The story in the original Mass Effect is, in my humblest of opinions, the most complete and well worked of any in the series. By the end of the game, you'll feel satisfied with the game's conclusion, something that I didn't get from the other two Mass Effect games.

Yes, the game has issues, a lot of them in fact. However, it is easy to overlook them when everything else is this good.
  92. Aug 8, 2014
    There are games so inspiring, so compelling that you will be dragged into their universe on a regular basis.
    Mass Effect is one of these games, which built happiness through great adventures and a significant emphasis on both choices and characters interactions. Even with a massive backlog of games to play, I always end up replaying the campaign through the 3 games.
    It can appeal to
    either RPG fans, Sci-fi people, shooters veterans, or to anyone who likes to be part of a compelling story.
    The DLC are good as well as they always add a bit of every experience to the mix.
    This game is so rich and colorful that you can be sure to find something that you will like in it.
  93. May 7, 2013
    Best SRPG game. The conversation wheels, the choices, the voice acting, Liara, the ending and satisfactory after completed the game. never a game gave me this blood-pumping feeling after the ending. i played the game 7 times, my record, never played a game again and again and every time can be so amazed by the game design and details.
  94. Apr 4, 2013
    Good
    Fantastic Voice-Acting and Story, Moral Choices Are Excellent, Some Of The Best Characters Ever, Wonderful Universe.
    Bad
    The Cover System Sucks, The Movement Is Sluggish, Every Weapon looks So Similar, The Gun crosshair is a pain in the a***/a**, Health System Is Terrible, Texture Pop-In is so bad and obvious, Save System is Annoying, Slow Pace in Gameplay
    Despite These Flaws This
    Is Still one of the best RPGs Ever Expand
  95. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is one of my favourite games of all-time, alongside both it's sequels. The thing that drew me in was the storyline which was very well thought-out and a lot of effort put into it unlike some other RPGs. The characters in this game are very detailed and like-able, each with their own interesting story. The voice-acting is amazing. There are negatives, such as the cluster of items you get from loot as they all seem copy-and-paste of each other with different colours with regards to weapons, there is more variation amongst armors however. The squad-based combat does work well even if it can be clunky at times, on the higher difficulties the game is a true challenge. The graphics are amazing to look at. Planet exploration in the Mako can be frustrating yet rewarding at the same time, the unexplored planets that you can land on each feel individual with their own story to them. Multitude of side-quests in this game, each of them interesting with some slight exceptions with the collection missions. You will find yourself being connected to the characters the more the game you play. Each of the classes in the game play differently which provides decent re-playability, alongside the difference you can make in choices along the way. One damn satisfying ending and an overall exceptional experience; this is one stand-out game. Clustering of inventory, bland and boring weapons, the odd tiresome and boring collection side-quests, the occasionally non-responsive combat game-play, the long and dull elevator scenes and not quite enough customization options all bring my personal score down by one, but this is still an amazing game to me. Expand
  96. Dec 24, 2013
    While at times there were eye popping issues with the combat system, Mass Effect brought us a Spaceborne Sci-Fi experience unchallenged in modern gaming.

An absolute Gem with head crushing depth that takes you on an adventure that by Journeys end, makes you really feel like you saved the universe and made some interesting friends along the way.

If you play this and don't enjoy it,
    you're crazy. Expand
  97. Jan 18, 2014
    When I first saw the box to this game I immediately thought it had the production quality equivalents of a B-Movie and ignored it. A couple of years later people were talking about the quality of this game then I found out it was made by the same team responsible for Knights of the Old Republic, then I found out it was part of a planned trilogy where the actions in one game could effect the story of the entire trilogy. So I was excited to play this game and I wasn't disappointed. They take the basic combat concept of Gears of War, cover based shooting, and placed it in a huge sci-fi world full of great characters in a wonderful art style. The story and massiveness of this game gain it's score but it's also it's hugeness that make it miss out on a 10, there is too much scanning of planets, much time wasted in an already big game. The only other negative is the lack of choice in weaponry. Overall this game is great stand alone without the involvement of a trilogy, which I suppose was the success of Star Wars, and is a must own of the generation and can now be picked up for a very friendly price. Expand
  98. Sep 15, 2014
    I was playing KOTOR and thought how great it would be if I could play it on xbox and the fighting was more than point and click and wait to see what happens.
    This is StarWars minus the light-sabres.

1. It's an adventure that is so captivating that you'll be counting the days for the sequel. It takes interactive storytelling to new heights, and brings the player closer to content than ever before. It's easily one of the year's best titles and one of the most impressive games to date. [Nov 2007, p.151]
  2. Far from being a ponderous sci-fi exposition, Mass Effect boasts a dynamic, well-constructed story with a broad emotional range. [Holiday 2007, p.82]
  3. As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels, and is more or less a must-play for RPG fans. It will drive shooter fans completely up the wall, though. [Dec 2007, p.56]