Mass Effect Xbox 360

8.7

1. JoeS
    Jan 1, 2010
    This would be one of the best games of all time if not for Bioware's penchant for excessive dialogue. The Citadel swiftly kills any aspect of replay this masterpiece should have, but the adrenaline and art are breathtaking each in their own right.
  2. MattC
    Oct 2, 2009
    If I am being completely honest with this review Mass Effect has set the bar on an unheard of level purely on the basis of storytelling alone. Bioware's treks into Knights of the Old Republic were both excellent I am partial to the first one because prior to playing a game like that a story to a game was on the back burner. Simple objectives that were played up by intense game play If I am being completely honest with this review Mass Effect has set the bar on an unheard of level purely on the basis of storytelling alone. Bioware's treks into Knights of the Old Republic were both excellent I am partial to the first one because prior to playing a game like that a story to a game was on the back burner. Simple objectives that were played up by intense game play which had been traditional. Where Mass Effect picks up in the series of great games from Bioware just left me wanting more; truly it was so fascinating in many different ways. The most being was that in the way other games are repetitive in how you manically drone through npc attackers in order to reach your goal, which if it isn't apparent it has never been on effective on multiple levels. Mass Effect takes the repetitive tasks of the main story line and continuously changes environments, purposes and characters. Allowing you to change party members at any time and delve into their background during an overwhelming journey. Most of the depth of the game comes from the ability to take your path as a Paragon or a Renegade but not having to completely choose as you do in most games that have a morality ticker, like Fable and the KOTOR series. Obviously though if you play around too much with being one or the other you miss some of the content, being able to say certain things in crucial situations. The first time I played through I wasn't able to save Wrex my longtime squad mate who I had really come to like as a character. I think that your choice in the conversation should be available to you to make the decision and I wasn't fond of the automatic moral positioned answers and the renegade answers it should be something that you choose and that you take consequence from based on what you thought. Complimenting the intense depth of conversation was the voice acting, which was superb, I am extremely impressed by the actors and how much the voices really added to the game. I'm not entirely sure what many of the people commenting on the shop system as I played through the game as a infiltrator commando which meant that I was able to decrypt/salvage everything in my path making equipment plentiful. Maybe if you are playing on easy the shops offer nothing of value but as the game got toward the climax especially before Virmire I was able to upgrade all of my weapons before going to the planet with shop items. Some of the best items in the game. But they don't make money the driving force because somethings aren't attainable in shops and I thought the way that they handled that balancing exploration for new items and being able to buy great items if you were willing to put in the time to do a little exploration (which was brutal) everything was available. The leveling system was fantastic, the only trouble I had was having to put points into "Charm" on my Hardcore character, allocating points there was frustrating just to get new things in the dialogue, which I held at a high value. The exploration as I said was brutal, the one planet you could land on in each system was different and most of the side missions had different objectives but linking them closer to the story would have made more sense. If I am the savior of the galaxy and I know it why the hell would I be called on to stop a rogue VI on the moon? Some of it was silly and Bioware guilt tripped my Paragon by saying it was his responsibility to clean up human messes first before saving the galaxy. By the end of the game I actually did want to give humanity a big middle finger because of how selfish and shortsighted they were. If we were dealing with the most intelligent humans as the game suggests then I believe that should have translated better than the character of Ambassador Udina or Navigator Pressley. A lot of people seemed to have trouble with the AI in the game itself, my go around Wrex was a one alien wrecking crew. And I never had a problem with respawning or sticking except with my own character occasionally backing up to a wall while in clear shot of the enemy. I also couldn't imagine playing the game as a biotic, I was not a fan of the biotic menu really at all and didn't use it at all on the easier difficulty. The complaints that I had were all really minor, the loading screens were annoying especially when I was trying to explore and the landing sequences every single time you go to the citadel were infinitely annoying. The long elevators at the beginning of the game are silly but they do add a little size to the game and as time goes on the talking sequences or the radio sequences which should be heavier in the beginning since you use the elevators more then really make those sequences kind of fun. Hearing about your exploits over the station makes you feel little more awesome. The geometry was a small problem sometimes on the far off worlds I remember dying in a level 2 hazard zone trying to survey a deposit because I couldn't get into the Mako in time because I was stuck in an imaginary crevice. Also the texturing was slow sometimes when loading in and the small freezes with the loading icon were unneccesary nowadays, though thankfully none of that was every in combat. The other complaint (which is arguably major) was the re-purposing of the bunkers and buildings in the side quests. Reorganizing the boxes in the buildings doesn't lend much to the idea of doing ALL of them as I did. The music was fantastic and fit the mood whether I was saving a derelict freighter full of prisoners or rushing up the citadel steps to confront Saren. To be honest where some games considered to be better now rely way too much on repetition in online play to be appealing you really lose some of the imaginative elements of video games, the epic transportation to a completely different time and place. The story telling and dialogue in this game cannot get enough praise from me and I believe all games should be held to that standard over the online game play. Overall I was truly transported to the world of Mass Effect and I am unbelievably excited about the clean ups for Mass Effect 2. Expand
  3. DuaneW.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Awesome story, awesome character interactions. It's fun to play. The combat is challenging - there are parts of this game I needed to retry multiple times to get past. I've played it twice now and it's still fun.
  4. TonyG
    Dec 6, 2007
    Mass Effect is an embarrassment for Bioware. Excellent story, excellent voice acting, and beautiful artwork cannot make up for a complete lack of refinement and playtesting. It's frustrating to see a great game company fail with an incredible idea because of such simple things. I started the game, walked forward, and got stuck on a corner. Then I opened the menu and watched my Mass Effect is an embarrassment for Bioware. Excellent story, excellent voice acting, and beautiful artwork cannot make up for a complete lack of refinement and playtesting. It's frustrating to see a great game company fail with an incredible idea because of such simple things. I started the game, walked forward, and got stuck on a corner. Then I opened the menu and watched my character's portrait flicker and warp. I tried to use the menus, and realized that this is the part of the game where true hand-eye coordination is required, not in combat. Did anyone playtest this game? Movement is awful, your character is clumsy beyond belief and gets stuck on ledges and corners far too easily. Graphics are gorgeous, but blatantly unstable. Play is simply bizarre. Is this an FPS? If so, it's the worst FPS I've played in years. Is it a hack & slash RPG? Where is simple run & gun fun? Is it a turn-based RPG? Where is the strategy? I have rarely been so disappointed in a title, and it stings because of how much potential this game had. KOTOR, glitches included, was exponentially better than Mass Effect. Why? Because it was FUN. Sure, glitches happened, but the game worked. This 360 next-gen game is just silly. On the bright side, the dialogue is good and voice acting is the best we've seen in any game to date. I suggest that, next time, Bioware make a movie or write a book instead. These types of media do not require playtesting. In the end, the one thing I want most out Mass Effect is a patch or re-release. If Bioware published an article saying "OOPS, we sent out bad discs...we'll be back in three months!", I would be the first to cheer, purchase my game in March, play for hours on end. Too bad. Expand
  5. MagnusK.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Now, this happens to be just type of game. Epic adventures with roleplaying-lite incorporated. And it's an extraordinary well made such. That said, I can't give this anything but a straight ten, really. I just finished this game and I'm looking forward doing it once or twice again!
  6. Eric
    Jan 4, 2008
    This was simply inspired gameplay. The one flaw was the excess of side quests - I spent several days completing sidequests before I played any of the core story missions.
  7. JohnC
    Feb 10, 2008
    A good game with lots to see and do, if you like RPG's like oblivion then this is for you - but its set in space. Great graphics and character creation Unfortunately the game is full of bugs and there are quite a few reports of 'disc read errors' coming in from everywhere - myself included. I don't having to reload every 10 minutes, otherwise an awesome game.
  8. Niall
    Feb 9, 2008
    This is one of the five best games I've ever played. It's a tremendous game, with exceptional graphics and voice acting.
  9. Arthkan
    May 29, 2008
    Awesome game, gave me weeks of entertainment through replay value. My GotY 07, Highly Recommend.
  10. no0ne
    Aug 15, 2008
    You just need to play this game. This games scenario is worth a Hollywood movie!
  11. Mike
    Sep 1, 2008
    Perfect storyline. Graphics are pretty. This is the game-of-the-year 2007. This is the best rpg that i ´ve played so far instead of oblivion. All ratings under 6-7=ps3 fanboys.
  12. DominicL
    Jan 6, 2009
    Personally, i like this game. But a few things let the game down. FPS should be added in to this game that would make the game better. There are more but overall this game is awesome. Ha! Hehe love the "romantic" cutscenes.
  13. JohnP.
    Feb 22, 2009
    This game is KotOR on steroids. If you are looking for something familiar with a whole new storyline and a great selection of quests/items/worlds, this is your game. Dynamic, fluid game play mixed with a stellar plot make Mass Effect a top notch game.
  14. TannerH
    Aug 26, 2009
    Theres not too many games that I will play over and over again, Mass Effect is my personal favorite so far.
  15. M.E.
    Jan 2, 2010
    This game blew me away. Bioware has really outdone itself here. The story, game play, graphics, sound, controls and practically everything else are amazing if not extraordinary. Only things is that it has a few bugs and technical issues.
  16. ChrisW.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Very, very solid characterization. Story is basically supporting all of the side missions and character quests. Some minor bugs from time to time, and a cover system that just doesn't stick at times keep this from the top. As stated in most reviews, the squad AI is better, but I never really noticed them helping a lot of the time. Most times they just hide behind walls in my Very, very solid characterization. Story is basically supporting all of the side missions and character quests. Some minor bugs from time to time, and a cover system that just doesn't stick at times keep this from the top. As stated in most reviews, the squad AI is better, but I never really noticed them helping a lot of the time. Most times they just hide behind walls in my experience until I basically go and hold their hand back to the fight. Would definitely buy this again, given the choice, and the easiest recommendation to any PC or 360 owner ever. Expand
  17. LukeM.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  18. Meestyk
    Nov 13, 2007
    9.8 for making it great. But since I play it on my friend's Xbox I can't play it on my own pc. So it becomes a 1/10 score. A message to the Xbox makers: we 're not going to dish out any extra just to buy games that only run on your platform. A decade from now, we're so sure new consoles will be out to replace this xbox. You're lame. The future of gaming will be on 9.8 for making it great. But since I play it on my friend's Xbox I can't play it on my own pc. So it becomes a 1/10 score. A message to the Xbox makers: we 're not going to dish out any extra just to buy games that only run on your platform. A decade from now, we're so sure new consoles will be out to replace this xbox. You're lame. The future of gaming will be on pc since consoles are very limited in their use. We think it stinks and so we're going to support companies that only cater pc users like those base fans making this review. Expand
  19. MiguelA.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Absolutely Amazing Game. It is so deep when it comes to its content. In a rare change you get to choose the responses you make to people's statement or questions which means you choose your destiny to some degree. A good amount of interactivity with everything to people and objects. Great strategy when it comes to the shooting aspect. The storyline is amazing as well. It really does Absolutely Amazing Game. It is so deep when it comes to its content. In a rare change you get to choose the responses you make to people's statement or questions which means you choose your destiny to some degree. A good amount of interactivity with everything to people and objects. Great strategy when it comes to the shooting aspect. The storyline is amazing as well. It really does capture your imagination to where some times you will see yourself on the edge of your seat. The visuals are stunning with great frame rate and player models are great as well. All around amazing game. Expand
  20. Sid
    Nov 20, 2007
    A truly great and memorable experience. 10 years from now, you won't be talking about how great the graphics and animation are, you won't be talking about the great voice acting and you won't be talking about the glitches. You'll just remember the experience all these good things resulted in. And you will sorely miss this game universe when you're done and pine A truly great and memorable experience. 10 years from now, you won't be talking about how great the graphics and animation are, you won't be talking about the great voice acting and you won't be talking about the glitches. You'll just remember the experience all these good things resulted in. And you will sorely miss this game universe when you're done and pine for the sequel. If anyone tells you that games are not art, get them to play this and asked them how many movies/books etc. moved them this much. KOTOR and Bioshock, there's a new 'best story in Video Game history' now. Reviewers rightly score the game down due to glitches and a pretty asinine menu system, but many wrongly deduct points because the action isn't as good as an action only title such as Gears of War. Don't let this prevent you from what is truly a fantastic experience and a great event in all gaming. Expand
  21. DonZ.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Not without it's faults, but what game is perfect? I LOVE the combat, though I play on the harder difficulties. I'd suggest it for others, as it makes the combat more intense. You can always turn it down later. Anyways, best graphics, best story, best combat(this coming from a competitive PC FPS player)...best everything I've played this year.
  22. JeffA.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Like both directing and acting in a Hollywood blockbuster movie. If you don't own this game you are missing out on an epic adventure. A living world on a DVD-9 disc.
  23. SteveM.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Truly immersive games are few and far between these days. Older games could make use of average graphics but excel in gameplay and immersion, as the times change Mass Effect is the pinacle of combining both in true next-gen fashion. Another top quality 360 title.
  24. SubspaceJ.
    Nov 27, 2007
    A polished suped up Knights of the Republic, but does an even better job of making you feel like you're in another world. Combat is good-not great. Giving this game a "1" is ridiculous, even if it's not the game you wanted it to be...that's your mistake for not reading up on it-not a review of the game. I would agree with Dionysus that at times you feel "steered" towards A polished suped up Knights of the Republic, but does an even better job of making you feel like you're in another world. Combat is good-not great. Giving this game a "1" is ridiculous, even if it's not the game you wanted it to be...that's your mistake for not reading up on it-not a review of the game. I would agree with Dionysus that at times you feel "steered" towards things with pretty pictures and dialogue, but in no way dows the game equate to a 1...that's the trade off to make the game more immersive instead of shallow and wide ranging. The feeling of being on a "track" and the loose combat make it a 9 instead of a 10. Expand
  25. CollowS.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Very impressive graphics, and nice gameplay sequence. All in all, it is a very deep rpg game, but with some of the same glitches that had occured in the previous game ( and some more as well). However, personally it doesn't live up to the hype that KOTOR created. I still believe that Mass effect 2 or 3 might succeed in where this one failed!!
  26. ConradB.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Fools needn't apply. Mass Effect is a cerebral and intelligent game, aimed at a very specific audience. While it does have it's problems, it is easy to see what kind of people are aggravated by them. If a texure loads too slow? It's funny how they didn't complain about that in Halo 2. It happened a lot in Halo 2. It loads too often and too slowly? Get a new xBox, I was Fools needn't apply. Mass Effect is a cerebral and intelligent game, aimed at a very specific audience. While it does have it's problems, it is easy to see what kind of people are aggravated by them. If a texure loads too slow? It's funny how they didn't complain about that in Halo 2. It happened a lot in Halo 2. It loads too often and too slowly? Get a new xBox, I was loading for probably about 30 minutes total in my 12-hour playtime. Not very bad, considering. Too much walking around the Citadel? Maybe if you hadn't been too stupid to listen to the hologram there, you would have found out that there is a mass transit system to ferry you where you please. Mass Effect is delectable in it's complexity, and has a slew of believable and reasonably-acted characters. It's shooter facade may have tricked some of the more foolhardy into thinking they were purchasing some "Gears of War" or some "Halo" title, but they instead found an erudite and well-crafted work of art. Seeing as how this sort of individual is prone to discarding that which sets mankind apart from neanderthals, they quickly succumb to vitriolic complaints. I suggest your purchase of this title with great strength, unless you only want to shoot things. If that's the case, obtain a copy of Gears of War, that's a cool game. Expand
  27. PhilipM.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Amazing game. While others may be complaining about glitches and other irrelevant things, I can only say this. What game doesn't have glitches?
    The answer is none. Just as every other game has it's glitches, Mass Effect has it's own, but I'm willing to overlook every single one of them because of it's great story, immersive worlds, and the realism that Bioware's representation of the universe gives.
    Not only do the planets which you can visit look beautiful, but the feeling of exploring a completely new planet is exhilarating.
    The different alien races which Bioware have introduced are amazing, with each having their own traits and personality quirks. For pretty much all of the game I played with two of my alien allies, completely ignoring my human ones who seemed so bland in comparison. The sort of one liners which Wrex came out with during the course of the game were great, which shows the level of the script and voiceactors which Bioware used for this game.
    I can see a lot of people complaining about the battle system in this game. I can only say that this game is an RPG at heart, not a FPS, so if Mass Effect isn't to your liking, there are hundreds of FPS games out there that are to your suiting. Mass Effect is for those who are patient, and prefer to take their time with things.
    I could sing Mass Effects's praises all day, but I'd rather leave some surprises for those who haven't played the game yet. In conclusion, Mass Effect is another masterpiece from Bioware, and I hope that they keep putting this level of effort into their games.
  28. JoshT.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Anyone who gives this game lower then an eight really doesn't know what they are doing. I find it funny that those who give the game a low score can't spell. Such as the NY boy who starts off, "this game sux! BUT(not buy) oblivion!" Anyway. Buy this game if you love RPGs and a good story! Buy Oblivion if you love running around like an idiot, listening to a horrible story, or Anyone who gives this game lower then an eight really doesn't know what they are doing. I find it funny that those who give the game a low score can't spell. Such as the NY boy who starts off, "this game sux! BUT(not buy) oblivion!" Anyway. Buy this game if you love RPGs and a good story! Buy Oblivion if you love running around like an idiot, listening to a horrible story, or feeling insignificant. Expand
  29. MikeT.
    Dec 9, 2007
    I never had any significant technical issues, sure theres some texture popin when you first load a level but its nota bgi thing. The story and acting more than makes up for any issues. In total it took me 32 hours to complete (i didnt get the 75% completed achievement).
  30. CalebHill
    Oct 10, 2008
    The combat system is simple when being used singularly, but when combat is mixed with tech and biotics it becomes a masterpiece. The RPG elements integrate perfectly into the experience, and the minor flaws(such as that dastardly texture pop-up) are quickly forgotten behind the marvelous story and wondrous graphical vistas. Never a boring moment, either. Bravo, Bioware!
  31. AlejandroG.
    Jan 1, 2008
    The character powers aren't really a good alternative to combat weapons, and strategy isn't necessary at all during all the game. Graphics are good, but the texture popping make scenarios and menus really strange. The worst of all: The game's length is SO below of what I expected ( Come on, it's supposed to be Oblivion on space, don't give me only 15 hours of gameplay).
  32. AndrewA.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Very fun with an great story. I just wish the main storyline was longer but i guess we just have to wait for a sequel.
  33. NickK.
    Jan 2, 2008
    I would have to say that other than the small minor detail in the graphics and loading times this game is by far the best to hit the 360 since it's release. BioWare kept the same story involvement as in Jade Empire but improved it so much. The graphics are stunning, the environments are very detailed and pretty to look at, the character development and story development are just I would have to say that other than the small minor detail in the graphics and loading times this game is by far the best to hit the 360 since it's release. BioWare kept the same story involvement as in Jade Empire but improved it so much. The graphics are stunning, the environments are very detailed and pretty to look at, the character development and story development are just amazing! I would definitely say that this game is the number 1 purchase for anyone interested in getting a 360 or that already own one. Expand
  34. MattA
    Dec 4, 2008
    An excellent narrative of epic scope. I'm not the biggest of RPG fans...but this was different. I felt very attached to my character, as well as my team. I ended up spending almost 30 hours playing, and it very significant for the most part. The missions seemed varied, and motivated. The NPC were interesting and provided an excellent backstory. This game is almost perfect. If there An excellent narrative of epic scope. I'm not the biggest of RPG fans...but this was different. I felt very attached to my character, as well as my team. I ended up spending almost 30 hours playing, and it very significant for the most part. The missions seemed varied, and motivated. The NPC were interesting and provided an excellent backstory. This game is almost perfect. If there weren't a few glitches such as getting stuck in odd places, and maybe a better auto-save feature would have made this game a perfect ten. The story and production values, however, make up for any shortcoming in gameplay. The combat was fun and felt almost like an action game and not an RPG. That was what i was most happy about. Great game, and i give it one of my highest recommendations. Expand
  35. Ari
    Oct 25, 2008
    What Mass Effect does well, it does extremely well. What it doesn't do well soon becomes a repetitive chore. First the bad. Combat consists of little more than aiming a weapon and pulling the trigger, with a few special powers thrown in to mix things up. The main mission levels are long, challenging and intriguing, but the side quests are all on copied and pasted maps with different What Mass Effect does well, it does extremely well. What it doesn't do well soon becomes a repetitive chore. First the bad. Combat consists of little more than aiming a weapon and pulling the trigger, with a few special powers thrown in to mix things up. The main mission levels are long, challenging and intriguing, but the side quests are all on copied and pasted maps with different treasures and enemies within to give a thinly-veiled impression of variety. The item menu is difficult to navigate, and rather user-unfriendly. The music is nothing special, and quickly gets repetitive. Now onto the good. The dialog system is virtually flawless: sometimes it's more fun to talk to people than it is to combat the enemies. Choices are clear, but rarely are they easy. The main character can act and talk like a hero on the straight and narrow, or a rules-bending anti-hero, or anything in between, as the player chooses. The other six characters can't be used, but their personalities and races are all different enough to make them intriguing. The armor and weapon customization system is simple but works well. The story and plot are what you might expect in a sci-fi tale, but throughout the game, you always feel in control. Kudos to BioWare for such a deep and intriguing game. Expand
  36. JG
    Jan 3, 2008
    Overall pretty good game with some falws. the story and concept was amazing yet the combat was a bit laggy, its still worth buying.
  37. TheDude
    Jan 4, 2008
    I was definitely a little disappointed by this game. Admittedly, my expectations were sky high as KOTOR is one of my all-time favorite games. I'd never cared for RPG's before KOTOR, and it took me a while to get used to the turn-based combat, but I didn't mind in the end because the story was so great. And, yes, even I thought to myself how awesome it would be if they could I was definitely a little disappointed by this game. Admittedly, my expectations were sky high as KOTOR is one of my all-time favorite games. I'd never cared for RPG's before KOTOR, and it took me a while to get used to the turn-based combat, but I didn't mind in the end because the story was so great. And, yes, even I thought to myself how awesome it would be if they could make a game with a story-line that good with gameplay as fun as a Halo game. Ironically, as Bioware has tried to push more towards action, real-time based combat gameplay, in my opinion their games have gotten less fun. Critics raved about Jade Empire's combat, but I thought it was terrible. I got to where I dreaded combat, as all it ended up being was ridiculous button-mashing for the most part, and seemed like a total waste of time which detracted from the top-notch story telling. Same thing here. They tried to make it an action oriented third person shooter, but the combat just sucks. It's too hard to control to be fun. Likewise, the driving levels aren't fun either. Luckily, the bulk of the game is still the story, and though it didn't come close to reaching the bar set by KOTOR, in my opinion, the story was still decent enough. Midway through the game, I turned combat on to the easiest setting, and I enjoyed it a lot more after that, as combat was less frustrating and took less time away from the plot. Expand
  38. Secretsparkx
    Jan 4, 2008
    Mass effect is a good game but me and all my scifi loving friend all agree that this game is just a trail to see how people like the way it works for KOTOR 3 (and for those people who do know what KOTOR is it the ongoing saga made by bioware, starwars: knights of the old republic) The old KOTOR games had a very simple combat system and they said that in the up coming KOTOR 3 that they Mass effect is a good game but me and all my scifi loving friend all agree that this game is just a trail to see how people like the way it works for KOTOR 3 (and for those people who do know what KOTOR is it the ongoing saga made by bioware, starwars: knights of the old republic) The old KOTOR games had a very simple combat system and they said that in the up coming KOTOR 3 that they were going to make it more open combat like mass effect. so if you had high expectations for mass effect and were disappointed start looking for Starwars: knights of the old republic 3. Expand
  39. GhostReviewer
    Jan 7, 2008
    Mass Effect is without a doubt the true definition of evolution. Every inch of this game is moving gaming foward. The dialogue wheel is an innovation that gives what is most likely the most immersive experience one can have with a videogame just short of virtual reality. You truly feel like you're making decisions that are effecting an entire galaxy, So much so that when you lose a Mass Effect is without a doubt the true definition of evolution. Every inch of this game is moving gaming foward. The dialogue wheel is an innovation that gives what is most likely the most immersive experience one can have with a videogame just short of virtual reality. You truly feel like you're making decisions that are effecting an entire galaxy, So much so that when you lose a team mate as a direct result of your actions you actually feel guilty. Ultimately it doesn't feel like you're controlling an avatar but rather you are Commander Shepard, commanding a crew to save and police the galaxy. The combat at first feells overwhelming and intimidating but once you take the time to learn its customization it starts to feel even better than Gears of War. As a shooter alone Mass Effect would have been awesome but the rpg elements are what make the deal. No matter what you do, leveling up your weapons and skills never becomes tedious. As the developers of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire, Bioware had high expectations to meet with this one. The result is one of the best next gen games on the market that makes its predecessors feel like beta tests. Buy this game and forget about the outside world, you won't be going back to it anytime soon. Expand
  40. TARGET1058
    Feb 10, 2008
    Great game for the RPG or shooter fan. The story is one of the best with graphics also being top of the line.
  41. James
    Feb 17, 2008
    I loved the KOTOR games and i think they are contenders for the title of best game ever. The combat system, although uncomplicated, is somewhat brilliant. Yes, I know there are games with better systems but none of them have a brilliant rpg story line. The only downside of this game is the repetitive planets you find on side quests. Its basically the same planet everytime, yes it is I loved the KOTOR games and i think they are contenders for the title of best game ever. The combat system, although uncomplicated, is somewhat brilliant. Yes, I know there are games with better systems but none of them have a brilliant rpg story line. The only downside of this game is the repetitive planets you find on side quests. Its basically the same planet everytime, yes it is brilliantly fun but why is every planet a vaste wasteland? Still this game was genius. Expand
  42. SteveS.
    Feb 8, 2008
    One of the most rewarding games you will play.I believe its in the league of bioshock and halo and cod4 as one of the best games of 2007, if not then the best rpg.
  43. DennisM.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Amazing game, it is a work of art. Very cinematic, varied pace, highly addictive. Possibly the best game I have ever played.
  44. EdmoundD.
    Jul 25, 2008
    Excellent game. I loved the story line and depth of the game. At first, the fighting took some getting use to but once you do it's a lot of fun. If I had to say anything bad about the game is that sometimes the characters following you got stuck on objects which is not really a big deal b/c the computer will eventually reset them back onto you, it just makes for an uneven game flow; Excellent game. I loved the story line and depth of the game. At first, the fighting took some getting use to but once you do it's a lot of fun. If I had to say anything bad about the game is that sometimes the characters following you got stuck on objects which is not really a big deal b/c the computer will eventually reset them back onto you, it just makes for an uneven game flow; in addition, before you fight one of the antagonist you have to go through this incredibly long conversation/video sequence and if you die you have to keep going through the sequence until you defeat the antagonist which is really annoying. Expand
  45. MikeA.
    Aug 26, 2008
    I loved Knights Of The Old Republic and was looking forwared to a similar game with enhanced visuals. Unfortunately the combat for this appears to be just "point and shoot and hope your AI buddies follow suit". The combat just didn't seem very deep to me. The endless dialogue trees you have to labour through every time you talk to someone and the result is a total failure of I loved Knights Of The Old Republic and was looking forwared to a similar game with enhanced visuals. Unfortunately the combat for this appears to be just "point and shoot and hope your AI buddies follow suit". The combat just didn't seem very deep to me. The endless dialogue trees you have to labour through every time you talk to someone and the result is a total failure of immersion. One for the run-and-gunners and Gears of War fans, I think. Hopefully the forthcoming Fallout game will address these shortcomings. Expand
  46. MattB
    Sep 1, 2008
    The game is truly brilliant. The storyline is epic and the graphics are brilliant. The dialogue system is revolutionary. The only bad thing is the sheer amount of elevator rides that you have to endure.
  47. DanielT
    Nov 20, 2009
    Wow... to any of you who gave this game below a 7 are either too idiotic or "sure of yourself" to notice how great this game is... how about taking the time to play it? Enjoy the great visual sights, the rich, deep character design and history, coupled with the amazing storyline that changes on how you play. Now, onto my own review on why I gave this a 10/10: I eagerly bought this game Wow... to any of you who gave this game below a 7 are either too idiotic or "sure of yourself" to notice how great this game is... how about taking the time to play it? Enjoy the great visual sights, the rich, deep character design and history, coupled with the amazing storyline that changes on how you play. Now, onto my own review on why I gave this a 10/10: I eagerly bought this game just a year ago, and beat it in 10 hours. Want to know how? Because I sped through, not taking in the accomplishments listed above. Now, the next time I played, I had created my own character, gave him a name and chose a class carefully, then I truly began to play. Each choice I made shaped the world (or shall I say, galaxy?) around me, and in response, made people react to me differently. I gained around a hundred different Codex entries, and that wasn't even half of what I could learn. By the end (Which took at least a week and a half), I was blown away with the controller shaking in my hands. The bad? Almost none. The combat is a bit laggy when the fights gets intense, and the texture pop-up sometimes pulled you out of that world, but those are just things you can brush aside. For me, it's the best game I have ever played, and I except the sequel will go past the first in every way. - Number 1 in my List - Expand
  48. ChrisR.
    Jan 5, 2009
    I wouldn't say this is Hollywood worthy, but its certainly a great game. The leveling feels quite balanced which is nice, the face customization is quite frankly awesome, if seen A LOT worse. the different classes are well balanced. I only have a few complains. The amount of information in the game about races, cities etc is quite frankly TOO heavy, I don't want to study the I wouldn't say this is Hollywood worthy, but its certainly a great game. The leveling feels quite balanced which is nice, the face customization is quite frankly awesome, if seen A LOT worse. the different classes are well balanced. I only have a few complains. The amount of information in the game about races, cities etc is quite frankly TOO heavy, I don't want to study the history on a city, just give me a mission and i might learn something on the way. The Sniper Rifle's in the game were a joke, although more true to life and yes it takes a lot more skill to use it by comparison to lets say gears of war but its my favorite weapon and i felt kinda cheated, forcing me to use the godforsaken shotgun. The feeling of epic is by far at large here but with the ever grounding reality that for every system you visit, you can only visit one planet, which again made me feel cheated. Put it this way if the next installment allows your to explore EVERY single planet that would be from a technical standpoint impressive, but mind crushing for a player. Overall the game is great and some of the choices you can make are groundbreaking compared to other dialog based games. Just too much of everything really. Its like getting a Sunday roast to realize you have a shit load of peas and carrots on your plate and not a lot of roast beef and roast potatoes. Expand
  49. RobG
    Mar 20, 2009
    This review may help those considering picking up an "older" game. I got it for $14.99 at GameStop used. Mass Effect has a great story and intriguing gameplay. If you liked the KOTOR series, you will like Mass Effect. The game has a ton of dialogue options and was generally fun to play. However, it ran into the Assassin's Creed problem with the side missions. They were extremely This review may help those considering picking up an "older" game. I got it for $14.99 at GameStop used. Mass Effect has a great story and intriguing gameplay. If you liked the KOTOR series, you will like Mass Effect. The game has a ton of dialogue options and was generally fun to play. However, it ran into the Assassin's Creed problem with the side missions. They were extremely repetitive and I eventually gave up on those that didn't involve shooting something (I mean really, who wan't to be a space geologist?). The action of the game has potential but needs some minor tweaking. First, you have abilities, but need to pause combat to effectively queue them. I don't like this. In KOTOR, you could at least queue multiple actions in secession. In Mass Effect, you have only one hot button that can be mapped to an ability. As a result, you end up playing most of the game forgetting to use your abilities. They simply need a queue of abilities you can set and trigger without pausing combat. Still, overall an improvement over the sit and watch of KOTOR. At least I now get to aim at things. The graphics are good, but not as solid as current games.There's some definite boxiness especially in the "ahem" climax. I put 30 hours in completing the game the first time around diligently trying to complete all of the side quests before giving up on the more boring ones. This leads me the only other flaw of the game. In the KOTOR series (btw, I know they aren't the same game, but they are very close and KOTOR is a good point of reference), it was fun to play through both the light and dark side aspects of the game. It would alter major plot lines and end the game differently. I realize this can be hard to do for story continuity's sake, but there is NO value in playing Mass Effect through a second time. Don't waste your time. Oh, I guess I lied, there was 1 other flaw. Once you get the Spectre Gear, all other weapons become irrelevant. Getting new weapons was one of my favorite parts of the game until this hit. So, overall, very worth a $14.99 purchase for a game I spent about 50 hours on. Much more rewarding to put 30 hours into this game than 10 into Fable 2. Buy it now that it's cheap and if they fix these minor issues for Mass Effect 2, it will be solid as well. One last thing, the Codex was over-done in my opinion. I stopped reading the Codex very early into the game. It's great to have so much background info, but not very much of it was relevant to the point that I actually cared to read it. Put that stuff in a strategy guide or book. Expand
  50. BroJ
    Apr 6, 2009
    It's a VERYgood game. Strong storyline, excellent charcter building choices, controls are good (when u get used to them), clever dialogue options and very good NPCs too. Weapons and 'powers' a varied and differ enough to make you think about what u should use and when (acid bullets that metls synthetic enemies etc..) Graphics could be improved somewhat and a few frame rate It's a VERYgood game. Strong storyline, excellent charcter building choices, controls are good (when u get used to them), clever dialogue options and very good NPCs too. Weapons and 'powers' a varied and differ enough to make you think about what u should use and when (acid bullets that metls synthetic enemies etc..) Graphics could be improved somewhat and a few frame rate glitches, but these are minor complaints. THE BEST RPG on XBXO360. I'd give it 10 if the side missions were less repetitive and a the graphics were tip top. The abilities that you acquire can really make a difference to the fighting, especially the BOSS fights. This game gives you huge choice as to how you play and your choices have an impact on how the storyline pans out (not majorly, but enough to make you feel like you're IN the game. It plays like you'e in a movie, clever stuff. Get it, play it, play it again - because you can chose to play the character with many different types of abilities which changes the way you interact with the game. Expand
  51. TroelsS.
    Jan 18, 2010
    I'd probably find this game to be the greatest game on the X360 if it wasn't for the 'dungeons' and repetitive side-missions. It's plenty of fun, great graphics, fine action (although a bit slow compared to other shooting-games) and a nice story. However, if you take the time to complete a lot of the side-missions around the universe, you'll find out that the I'd probably find this game to be the greatest game on the X360 if it wasn't for the 'dungeons' and repetitive side-missions. It's plenty of fun, great graphics, fine action (although a bit slow compared to other shooting-games) and a nice story. However, if you take the time to complete a lot of the side-missions around the universe, you'll find out that the different dungeons where you have to fight enemies are competely the same, although including different furniture and materials/items. It's quite depressing in the long run, actually. If this changed ad the action was turned up just a tiny notch, it would have been an immaculate science-fiction game. Expand
  52. georage
    Nov 12, 2007
    A great game, it's like taking a role in a movie ... that's how good the voice acting and the script is. Overall, I would give the game a 9+, but I played this and COD4 over the weekend and I have to say COD4 is more impressive. What I don't like: The first woman that joins your crew must be the same woman that does the voice of Meg on Family Guy. This ruined the immersion A great game, it's like taking a role in a movie ... that's how good the voice acting and the script is. Overall, I would give the game a 9+, but I played this and COD4 over the weekend and I have to say COD4 is more impressive. What I don't like: The first woman that joins your crew must be the same woman that does the voice of Meg on Family Guy. This ruined the immersion factor for me. Combat is clunky. Switching weapons is a pain, and controlling your squadmates is not exactly intuitive, but I will probably get used to it. Expand
  53. BobM.
    Nov 16, 2007
    A large step forward for storytelling in video games.
  54. punkrocks
    Nov 16, 2007
    I dunno why people are so hyped about this game. I dont see anything special about it. Just another sci-fi RPG. The only innovative thing is the dialog otherwise the shooting is mediocre, if not poor. I've played this game and i dont think it deserves more than a 5 on any site.
  55. Discombobulator
    Nov 17, 2007
    I sat down to this last night and didnt make it to bed. I had been waiting on this all year, and its been worth the wait. I had thorougly enjoyed KOTOR, and this takes it to another level as far as graphics aand gameplay are concerned. BUY IT.
  56. AlexH.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great game with an amazing story, wonderful characters, indepth gameplay and customisation, tough moral choices with dire consequences and a huge galaxy to explore. This is GOTY.
  57. JohnS.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great gameplay combined with a deep story and amazing graphics.
  58. SugreevA.
    Nov 19, 2007
    It's just too long and boring for both the RPG genre and the shooter genre.
  59. Chris
    Nov 20, 2007
    An instant classic. Bioware does it again hitting this one out of the park. The game takes everything that was loved about KoToR and makes it better!
  60. MattDG
    Nov 21, 2007
    As good a game as one would have any right to expect. Not perfect, but the best it could be given platform constraints. Simply an excellent RPG.
  61. Jeff
    Nov 21, 2007
    Very Very good game. Biggest issue is lack of sprint in friendly environment. Everything else about textures, elevators, combat, and such are not nearly as bad as everybody makes it out to be. But if RPG's aren't your type of game then you won't enjoy it.
  62. TimothyM.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This is an RPG, not a shooter. Emphasis on story over gameplay, I give it a 9. Though I agree that this is for Hardcore RPG lovers who love a long game, because the short ADD attention span of some gamers should be left to the FPS genre, this isn't for you. This game is really long. It shouldn't be marked down for that fact. I really have a problem with people who aren't This is an RPG, not a shooter. Emphasis on story over gameplay, I give it a 9. Though I agree that this is for Hardcore RPG lovers who love a long game, because the short ADD attention span of some gamers should be left to the FPS genre, this isn't for you. This game is really long. It shouldn't be marked down for that fact. I really have a problem with people who aren't fans of the genre rating a game they wouldn't like anyway because of the genre. Sugreev A gave it a 3, too long and boring, and refered to it as a shooter. I would discount the rating because he obviously got it wrong from the beginning. Expand
  63. JohnD.
    Nov 20, 2007
    To be honest it's just too long and too boring for both the RPG genre and the shooter genre.
  64. Rob
    Nov 21, 2007
    The good stuff: Graphics and Storyline. The decent stuff: Gameplay: The squad AI is weak but the shooting controls are pretty decent. The bad stuff: The biotic powers are lame esp. healing(requires an item to use). Other powers include force push(useless) and barrier(decent).
  65. DanS.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Good game but not as good as i had hoped it would be. there are some bugs, some framerate issues and the gameplay is good, but not as fun as i thought. it was a pretty long game so the value is there, but i would definitely rent it first.
  66. Numanthia
    Nov 22, 2007
    I am disgusted by the reviews on this product. It has the worst flaws I have seen of a game this hyped and the critics behind these illogical reviews: "Other than the AI issues, graphical glitches, and insanely confusing equipment screen Mass Effect is the perfect video game." With the following comment how can a game wtih flawed AI, major load time issues, painfully slow texture mapping I am disgusted by the reviews on this product. It has the worst flaws I have seen of a game this hyped and the critics behind these illogical reviews: "Other than the AI issues, graphical glitches, and insanely confusing equipment screen Mass Effect is the perfect video game." With the following comment how can a game wtih flawed AI, major load time issues, painfully slow texture mapping and confusing game components even score above 6? I consider these reviews boardering on fraudulent activity. DISGUSTED! Expand
  67. JavierM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Best game of all time. No game creates an interactive experience of this caliber. You don't just play Commander Shepard, you ARE Commander Shepard and you are the only person who can save the galaxy from destruction. In a season filled with top notch game, Mass Effect raises the bar for story driven games. It is not the best story ever told in a game, it is the best story ever Best game of all time. No game creates an interactive experience of this caliber. You don't just play Commander Shepard, you ARE Commander Shepard and you are the only person who can save the galaxy from destruction. In a season filled with top notch game, Mass Effect raises the bar for story driven games. It is not the best story ever told in a game, it is the best story ever experienced in a game. Play this game. Expand
  68. CaptainSpandex
    Nov 25, 2007
    Innovative in the extreme, well-executed. The hardware suffers from the somewhat outdated KOTOR engine, but in measuring the slightly annoying against the exceedingly well-executed and groundbreaking whole, it's pretty clear Mass Effect is the future of video games.
  69. DorianK.
    Nov 25, 2007
    An impressive story, true choice of actions, an old school Space Opera universe, a impressive and working mix between FPS and Strategy for the compat. Despite a few technical issues (glitches and lag), the game is a perfection. There is no over game in the market that give a so intense RPG experience. None... I played and finished it 3 times. I will probably play it a 4th time....This is An impressive story, true choice of actions, an old school Space Opera universe, a impressive and working mix between FPS and Strategy for the compat. Despite a few technical issues (glitches and lag), the game is a perfection. There is no over game in the market that give a so intense RPG experience. None... I played and finished it 3 times. I will probably play it a 4th time....This is the first game of a new genre and I can't wait to see what Mass Effect 2 will be looking like ! Expand
  70. HeistenfaustR.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Very good game one of the best on the 360. Only problems: Short for a Bioware game and lots of pop-in.
  71. TheNatural
    Nov 20, 2007
    Best graphics, story and deepest gameplay experience ever created. 2007 GOTY.
  72. PhilC
    Nov 26, 2007
    This is one of the most involving games I've played, thanks to excellent scripting and voice acting, a believable dialogue system, and a plot that is engaging from the start. It is difficult to express in writing just how good the role-playing/plot element is: my usually indifferent housemate said it's like watching a sci-fi series, and he was annoyed to miss out on plot twistsThis is one of the most involving games I've played, thanks to excellent scripting and voice acting, a believable dialogue system, and a plot that is engaging from the start. It is difficult to express in writing just how good the role-playing/plot element is: my usually indifferent housemate said it's like watching a sci-fi series, and he was annoyed to miss out on plot twists when he was out of the house!

Some good comparisons:
    The Darkness--Mass Effect's voice acting is as good as The Darkness, and even more impressive given the latter's size. I watched a friend play through the introductory mission after I did it and was surprised at the extra (and unnecessary) conversations that he discovered.
    Knights of the Old Republic--Mass Effect is less linear than KOTOR, but its inventory is still rather clunky and unwieldy like its predecessor.

The game has a steep learning curve with very few tutorials, and some rather odd design decisions (a needlessly complex and unintuitive system for equipment, especially for fitting upgrades--if they had scrapped upgrades overall the game would have been the better for it, I think). However, after an hour or two it all made sense. The niggles raised in the reviews are valid, but it's still worthy of a lengthy play. Just don't expect as much action as Halo or Oblivion!
  73. AndrewHaslem
    Nov 20, 2007
    I hear people (sugreev A.) Saying it is to long and boring. How do you know! Its only been out for like 6 hours! HOW CAN YOU TELL AT THIS POINT! What it really is, your a PS3 fan and want to trash on everything else. Get a life people.
  74. RakanAksoy
    Nov 27, 2007
    Game deserves a 9.5 but I'm giving it a 10 so it get out of the 8.9 (which is due to Sony fan boys).
    Mass Effect is a game that all gamers must experience.It does have it's few flaws which really shine out just because everything else is stunning, and we expected it to be perfect.
  75. ChrisH.
    Nov 28, 2007
    This is the greatest game I have ever played. If you never play Mass Effect, you are seriously depriving yourself. It has an extremely well-done story, great characters, very good combat, excellent facial customization, superb voice acting. Oh yeah, the graphics are great too. This game is an RPG, not a shooter, so there will definitely be a learning curve, and you cannot take on an army This is the greatest game I have ever played. If you never play Mass Effect, you are seriously depriving yourself. It has an extremely well-done story, great characters, very good combat, excellent facial customization, superb voice acting. Oh yeah, the graphics are great too. This game is an RPG, not a shooter, so there will definitely be a learning curve, and you cannot take on an army if your character can't, no matter how good you are, but the combat is very enjoyable. This is not a buggy game, I don't know why some people pretend it is. I have completed this game, and so have two of my brothers, and bugginess is far below that of most games I've played. The only caveat in regards to the game is this, it is a true RPG. If you hate RPG's you will probably complain about this game. If you do tolerate RPG's though, be prepared to have a wonderful ride. Expand
  76. AlexQ.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Game of the year, best rpg i've ever played. For those who think that it needs to be on a pc, I disagree, the full experiance comes from a wide screen, surround sound, and 360 graphics.
  77. HarryD.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Good game,good presentation,good story but lame submisions and the gameplay gets a bit boring after ten hours.
  78. DavidM.
    Dec 12, 2007
    BAD: The AI is terrible. The menu screens, inventory and upgrading are all awful. There are a lot of pop-in textures. Side quests are dull and the rewards aren't good. Money is useless. You can power your way to the end with little strategy. The game play becomes tedious once you level up. GOOD: The storyline is great. The characters are great. The acting is great. The graphics are BAD: The AI is terrible. The menu screens, inventory and upgrading are all awful. There are a lot of pop-in textures. Side quests are dull and the rewards aren't good. Money is useless. You can power your way to the end with little strategy. The game play becomes tedious once you level up. GOOD: The storyline is great. The characters are great. The acting is great. The graphics are great. BOTTOM LINE: This game needed more time in development. Expand
  79. G.C.
    Dec 10, 2007
    I thought this game was great, it has a good story, and the graphics are really good, as well as the voice acting, i don't think its a 10/10 game, but is defently one of the best games to date on the 360. Provides you with more hours of fun than most games out, and i have never had any of the reported glitches or errors that some people have (Maybe they got a faulty disc) Anyway I thought this game was great, it has a good story, and the graphics are really good, as well as the voice acting, i don't think its a 10/10 game, but is defently one of the best games to date on the 360. Provides you with more hours of fun than most games out, and i have never had any of the reported glitches or errors that some people have (Maybe they got a faulty disc) Anyway defently a game to buy! Expand
  80. ArrJ.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Considering the number of people's consoles that have seemingly been destroyed by this games excessive dependence on streaming media along with the fact that the core game is barely over 10 hours long and this is one of the largest disappointments in gaming for me this year. Don't get me wrong, the story is engrossing and the world Bioware has developed has all the potential Considering the number of people's consoles that have seemingly been destroyed by this games excessive dependence on streaming media along with the fact that the core game is barely over 10 hours long and this is one of the largest disappointments in gaming for me this year. Don't get me wrong, the story is engrossing and the world Bioware has developed has all the potential makings of a great new sci-fi universe, but just as the game feels like it's getting off the ground it ends - and in a most dissatisfying manner. It's also truly unfortunate that the "side quests" have little, if anything, to do with anything the game wants to make you care about. All of this together took what could have been at the very least an 8 all the way down to a 3. I'm shocked so many people have reviewed it so well - it's appalling. Expand
  81. AbdulS.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Absolutly boring, graphics are not even close to being next gen, story is crap, controlls are sub par and the different types of ammunition is absolutly lame, do not waste your money.
  82. JesseM.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Mass Effect is one the greatest games I have ever played. The story line is ingrossing the combat is intense and rewarding especly when you can upgrade the ammo to do all sorts of crazy things like cyro bullets or raditon bullets. The best part about this game though is the diolouge. Bioware just thought of this great universe on there own. Its not based on Halo or Star Wars it is all Mass Effect is one the greatest games I have ever played. The story line is ingrossing the combat is intense and rewarding especly when you can upgrade the ammo to do all sorts of crazy things like cyro bullets or raditon bullets. The best part about this game though is the diolouge. Bioware just thought of this great universe on there own. Its not based on Halo or Star Wars it is all new. I would also just like to add that picking diolouge is pretty tough in a good way. There are many tough decisons to be made in Mass Effect and universe to discover what are you waiting for get this GAME!!! Collapse
  83. CrackaP.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Best game I've played on the 360 thus far. I'll qualify that by saying I haven't played Bioshock yet. Also, the battle system, while effective, feels a bit awkward, particularly the biotics and party command controls. That said, especially if you're a scifi fan, you NEED to get this and enjoy the huge amount of content and quality plot.
  84. AlanA.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Mass Effect is great. On par with Oblivion not quite as good but damn close. Enough side quests but not enough. Story line is great, graphics don't disappoint, overall this game is a great buy. (if you rent you'll cry on the day its due)
  85. Zenjamin
    Dec 26, 2007
    all of the legitimate complaints, come from technical issues. well, I havent had any technical issues. but perhaps this is because my 360 is new? All i know is, no game has ever come close to invoking this much emotion in me. and i dont think another will untill the trilogy continues. i just dont understand why some of the Users give it such low reviews, FAR lower then ANY critic. I all of the legitimate complaints, come from technical issues. well, I havent had any technical issues. but perhaps this is because my 360 is new? All i know is, no game has ever come close to invoking this much emotion in me. and i dont think another will untill the trilogy continues. i just dont understand why some of the Users give it such low reviews, FAR lower then ANY critic. I really think it is either PS3 fanboys or RPG haters, I can understand going into yellow for technical issues (which i could not find), but there is no honest reason why anyone should rate this in the red. Expand
  86. A.Nonymous
    Dec 27, 2007
    Brilliant game, one of the first RPGs to truely suck me in. The main storyline can be powered through in about a day, but there's still lots of planets, side quests and events to do.
  87. AnonymousMC
    Dec 29, 2007
    I love how people like Tom compare ME gameplay with Mario galaxy,yes good comparsion,lets compare STarcraft2 with cooking mama in gameplay at the future too...

If you loved Kotor you will Love ME,it has framerateproblems in combat,but its not more then in Kotor,the story and the characters are well made,the gameplay has been refined to suit action fans,and hardcore rpg fans with a pause button.
  88. JaceNaylor
    Dec 30, 2007
    Mass Effect is a game with limitless potential that uses only about 25% of it!
    The combat is too frantic and panic strewn, the dialogue choces never match what your character says, the environments are too small and limiting or too repetetive and boring and the story is far too short.
    Mass Effect is a game with limitless potential that uses only about 25% of it!
    You cant help but wonder if Bioware are sitting on the last 3 quarters of the game...one for downloadable content...and two for the sequels!
  89. Kordesh
    Dec 4, 2007
    Absolute art. It's held back visually slightly by the technical limitations of the xbox360, but the developers have managed to reasonably work around it to make the game generally look amazing as well as run at a decent pace. Overall what makes this an excellent game, as with most Bioware games, is the story. Interesting characters, deep and fleshed out plot and back story, Absolute art. It's held back visually slightly by the technical limitations of the xbox360, but the developers have managed to reasonably work around it to make the game generally look amazing as well as run at a decent pace. Overall what makes this an excellent game, as with most Bioware games, is the story. Interesting characters, deep and fleshed out plot and back story, there's tons of it and it only leaves you asking for more. Fortunately, as it is an episodic series, there will be! Expand
  90. CS.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Simply stunning array of visuals and plot. There is so much to do it'll be impossible to complete this game in any decent amount of time unless you play right through the story. But what really makes this game outstanding is its engrossing character developement, interactive dialogue, and a true storytelling factor that has become increasingly rare this day in age. A must have for Simply stunning array of visuals and plot. There is so much to do it'll be impossible to complete this game in any decent amount of time unless you play right through the story. But what really makes this game outstanding is its engrossing character developement, interactive dialogue, and a true storytelling factor that has become increasingly rare this day in age. A must have for RPG and action fans alike. Expand
  91. K.G.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Buggy as hell with a disappointing storyline and weak gameplay mechanics.
  92. DanteR.
    Dec 5, 2007
    While really enjoyed this game and got sucked in from the get go, I have to say there are a few things that need to be tweaked. First of all, the movement doesn't translate well. While there is a run feature, it doesn't seem to move you any quicker. The speed of the elevators was a bit annoying. The other problem I saw was in the weapon upgrades. I would have liked to see a bit While really enjoyed this game and got sucked in from the get go, I have to say there are a few things that need to be tweaked. First of all, the movement doesn't translate well. While there is a run feature, it doesn't seem to move you any quicker. The speed of the elevators was a bit annoying. The other problem I saw was in the weapon upgrades. I would have liked to see a bit more customizations available in the weapons and armor. When I changed a feature, the adjusted abilities didn't seem to change. Don't get me wrong, I loved this game, but the small details like these took away from the game. I think they should address some of the details like these before the next installment is released. Expand
  93. JohnJ.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Almost everything about this game is great. The graphics, the setting, the story, the main storyline missions and the some of the side missions, they are all great and has been discussed in great detail in other reviews. What's not so great is the exploration part, once you've visited the first 8 planets (and pressed A to survey) you start loosing interest in that aspect of the Almost everything about this game is great. The graphics, the setting, the story, the main storyline missions and the some of the side missions, they are all great and has been discussed in great detail in other reviews. What's not so great is the exploration part, once you've visited the first 8 planets (and pressed A to survey) you start loosing interest in that aspect of the game. Driving the MAKO around a square patch of extremely mountainy terrain, finding guns in downed sattelites and fighting the same big-ass worm on every planet also quickly looses it's appeal. So even though I immediately started the game anew after completing it the first time (30+ hours), I sincerely hope that the two sequels will offer a little more diversity in the exploration department. More trading/mission hubs instead of just the Citadel would be nice, maybe a bit more lively universe in general. Expand
  94. IanI.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Mass Effect is ok, it suffers from alot of the same problems as KOTAR (great game) in its interface, large but seemingly empty environments (alot of pointless walking) and poor combat mechanics. In addition to the usual wonky combat mechanics there is a lack of depth to this game compared to kotar from either an RPG or FPS viewpoint (poor FPS mechanics, very fiew abillitys). KOTAR was Mass Effect is ok, it suffers from alot of the same problems as KOTAR (great game) in its interface, large but seemingly empty environments (alot of pointless walking) and poor combat mechanics. In addition to the usual wonky combat mechanics there is a lack of depth to this game compared to kotar from either an RPG or FPS viewpoint (poor FPS mechanics, very fiew abillitys). KOTAR was also alot longer game with alot more to do, this game was over hyped...but not awefull. I beat it in about 14 hours, I would look at renting this game. I was very unimpressed, but its probably worth playing. Expand
  95. JohnG.
    Dec 9, 2007
    Wonderful game for the RPG fan, above average game for the FPS fan. The game has it's flaws as all games do, however none of these flaws have subtracted from the gaming experience. A suberb buy, I heartily recommend this game to any 360 owner.
  96. BrodelE.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Soooo tired of the endless dialog.. I gave up waiting for the game to give me a chance to play.
  97. MattN.
    Jan 19, 2008
    This game is probably one of the best RPG's ever out, only rivalled by oblivion. It has stunning graphics, and choosing what you say is possibly the best thing about it. Maybe the gameplay is a bit lacking such as the annoying sniping on it, but when you get into this game, you will not stop!!
  98. DavidD
    Dec 13, 2008
    I just played and I have one word to say: Unbelievable! Loved KOTOR and now we have another incredible winner! Mass Effect is amazing! Mike A says that its a run and gun and a failure to immerse. At the same time he says there is an endless dialogue tree! LOL! Well, how do you think you get immersed in the story and the characters Mike? I loved all the dialogue and a chance to get into I just played and I have one word to say: Unbelievable! Loved KOTOR and now we have another incredible winner! Mass Effect is amazing! Mike A says that its a run and gun and a failure to immerse. At the same time he says there is an endless dialogue tree! LOL! Well, how do you think you get immersed in the story and the characters Mike? I loved all the dialogue and a chance to get into every aspect of the game! The more I learned, the more I enjoyed the game. Bioware is just amazing! The story is awesome and it just gets better and better as the game goes on! This is a all time classic hit! Don't miss out. Expand
  99. Kell
    Jan 2, 2008
    An easy 10 for me. This is now my all time favorite game (toppled SC: Chaos Theory). The story is well written and leaves you satisfied but still thirsting for more at the end. It's clear it was created with replayability in mind which is one of the things I look closest at when about to drop $60 on a game. Besides the different story lines based on your choice of personal An easy 10 for me. This is now my all time favorite game (toppled SC: Chaos Theory). The story is well written and leaves you satisfied but still thirsting for more at the end. It's clear it was created with replayability in mind which is one of the things I look closest at when about to drop $60 on a game. Besides the different story lines based on your choice of personal background, personality and choices during gameplay, after earning achievements you are rewarded with a bump in your stats (shields, health, etc) or the ability to use a non-class skill with any characters you create thereafter. You can also start a new story with an established high level character after completing the game. This way you start with all your skills, items and cash. The squad based combat system works great though the ally AI seems to suffer a bit (some of these settings can be tweaked to allow more control though). Really nothing worse than any other game out there, unless you count games designed specifically for it a la Rainbow Six Vegas. The dialog wheel for conversations is brilliant and made talking to NPCs fun instead of feeling like you were just waiting your turn. Some of the side quests and worlds get a little repetitious but there are surprisingly little FedEx style objectives and for the most part are fun and dynamic depending on your choices in the game. Really, any negative I could mention about the game is only nitpicking and in no way detracts from the experience. For me, this is the best yet out of the 360. Expand
  100. RafaV
    Dec 3, 2008
    Amazing. Though I have to admit that the beggining may not very extremely compelling (not as, for instante, those first ten minutes of FFVII or GTAIV), this is a game that is able to get you more and more involved as you play it. By the end of the game, I felt 100% concerned about every single step or choice I was to make. The last hour of gameplay was one of the most enjoyable gaming Amazing. Though I have to admit that the beggining may not very extremely compelling (not as, for instante, those first ten minutes of FFVII or GTAIV), this is a game that is able to get you more and more involved as you play it. By the end of the game, I felt 100% concerned about every single step or choice I was to make. The last hour of gameplay was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had. All the game is extremely well done: thescenery, the deep conversational options, the varied side missions... but above all, the main missions are pretty wonderfull: short but really interesintg videos, a wide variety of options on how to finish them, really well-developed and imaginative worlds... I really loved this game. I'm pretty sure I will go through it again, and for sure I'll be there when the next episodes appear... It's really worh it! Expand

1. It's an adventure that is so captivating that you'll be counting the days for the sequel. It takes interactive storytelling to new heights, and brings the player closer to content than ever before. It's easily one of the year's best titles and one of the most impressive games to date. [Nov 2007, p.151]
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Far from being a ponderous sci-fi exposition, Mass Effect boasts a dynamic, well-constructed story with a broad emotional range. [Holiday 2007, p.82]
  3. Hardcore Gamer
    As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels, and is more or less a must-play for RPG fans. It will drive shooter fans completely up the wall, though. [Dec 2007, p.56]