8.7

1. Oct 21, 2014
    yyyeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooot hoooooooooot I hated the game but I ha a great tie masturbating to the sex scene yay
  2. Sep 15, 2014
    I was playing KOTOR and thought how great it would be if I could play it on xbox and the fighting was more than point and click and wait to see what happens.
    This is StarWars minus the light-sabres.
  3. Aug 8, 2014
    There are games so inspiring, so compelling that you will be dragged into their universe on a regular basis.
    Mass Effect is one of these games, which built happiness through great adventures and a significant emphasis on both choices and characters interactions. Even with a massive backlog of games to play, I always end up replaying the campaign through the 3 games.
    It can appeal to
    either RPG fans, Sci-fi people, shooters veterans, or to anyone who likes to be part of a compelling story.
    The DLC are good as well as they always add a bit of every experience to the mix.
    This game is so rich and colorful that you can be sure to find something that you will like in it.
  4. May 18, 2014
    Mass Effect. It is quite shocking that before I bought the game just last week, I had never played Mass Effect before. I've heard that this series has been critically acclaimed by critics, and was massively successful, but none of my friends got into it, so I never really got into it. Then I noticed the complete trilogy at a Gamestop, and I decided that maybe now is a good time to try this series out. So, is this game as good as the critics say it is, or are the critics dumb as a sack of hammers? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is a mixture between third-person shooters, and action RPGs. You control a man named Commander Shepard from an over-the-shoulder viewpoint, and you fight enemies with your standard gunplay. This game also has a cover system, which allows you to take cover behind walls, and other objects that might be where you are fighting. There are also RPG elements that allow you to use special abilities during all of the action. These special abilities can help you fight. However, this is just the game's combat. There is so much more to the game than just that. This game is much more of an RPG than a third-person shooter. There are also several parts in the game that involve going around and talking to people, buying new weapons, and exploring the worlds of the Milky Way Galaxy. There are several side quests and other missions to undertake aside from the game's main story. Of course there is also leveling up as with most RPGs. This gameplay is very fun and exciting, and well worth the experience. However, there is one problem with the gameplay that I have a lot of trouble getting over: the Mako. The Mako is a vehicle you often have to use to drive around different planets in the game. It often will get stuck on terrain, and it is extremely difficult to control, making it difficult not to get just a little annoyed with the exploration of other planets in the game. There are also a few bugs and glitches, and the frame rate takes dips here and there, but they don't get in the way of an otherwise solid experience. This is a very fun game to play, but the Mako sections could use a lot more polish, and better driving mechanics. As for the graphics, while I can't say they are the best graphics I've ever seen in a video game, they are great to say the least. The character models look very good, and rich with detail. The ships all look good too. However, I'd say that only some of the environments actually truly look beautiful. Many of the planets in Mass Effect lack detail. The only ones that really seem to have any amount of detail put into them are the ones involved in the main story. The other ones in the game look like just random environments cobbled together to make a large landscape for the Mako to drive on. That's not to say that they look terrible, because they certainly don't. I just wish that the planets had more details on them like more diverse amounts of buildings, and other things like that. The graphics of this game are beautiful, but I sort of wish the environments were just a little better. The story however, is the best part of the entire game. You take control of Commander Shepard, and this character is totally your own character. You get to create him from the start of the game, choose what he specializes in, and what background he has. You also get to decide how events in the story play out. You can choose both good and bad options throughout this game's story, and they'll have a great effect on the rest of the game. As for the story itself, basically you find out that an ancient robotic race called the Reapers is coming to destroy all organic life in the universe, and it's up to you to stop them from ever attacking. This story is very unique in how it revolves entirely around you, and that's what makes it so amazing. Overall, I have to say that the critics were right when they said that this game was an amazing experience. This game is really fun to play, has great graphics, and a spectacular story. This game is a must-buy if you love science fiction, RPGs, or even if you are just a normal gamer.
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Story: 10/10
    Overall: 9/10
  5. Mar 18, 2014
    This game brings everything good about most bioware games into one package. While the cover system is a little off, and the fact that with a sniper rifle unless max level in the skill, the scope moves like you're drunk didn't make the game unplayable, actually it made choosing your squad ever more important.
  6. Mar 13, 2014
    A brilliant game, and one of the best games I've ever played. All I can say is, if you haven't played it before, go out and get it. The only two problems it has if the frame-rate frequently drops, especially during combat, and it takes you completely out of the experience. The other problem is that the auto save function isn't very well used. You can lose half an hour of gameplay easily, but that's easily countered by saving manually. As I said before, it you haven't played it before, go out and play it now! Expand
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    as an rpg i would say its pretty fun. the dialogue can be witty and funny and generally well written. the missions are mostly fun and fairly unique and again well written.

as a shooter this game is crap. the controls are very clunky, slow and you will constantly get caught on corners and nearby objects. its much better as an rpg and dialogue game then it is a shooter.
  8. Jan 20, 2014
    This is one of the best games ever made, it has a stunningly good original story line that doesn't disappoint. The amount of joy one experiences at the end of the journey is awesome and this is a must buy for everyone interested in a good role play shooter game and a good story. The game also has an amazing soundtrack that completes the story very well.
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    When I first saw the box to this game I immediately thought it had the production quality equivalents of a B-Movie and ignored it. A couple of years later people were talking about the quality of this game then I found out it was made by the same team responsible for Knights of the Old Republic, then I found out it was part of a planned trilogy where the actions in one game could effect the story of the entire trilogy. So I was excited to play this game and I wasn't disappointed. They take the basic combat concept of Gears of War, cover based shooting, and placed it in a huge sci-fi world full of great characters in a wonderful art style. The story and massiveness of this game gain it's score but it's also it's hugeness that make it miss out on a 10, there is too much scanning of planets, much time wasted in an already big game. The only other negative is the lack of choice in weaponry. Overall this game is great stand alone without the involvement of a trilogy, which I suppose was the success of Star Wars, and is a must own of the generation and can now be picked up for a very friendly price. Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    This is the best game by far and the best Mass Effect, better than ME2 and ME3. Best game ever! This game has change my life for the better! Thank you Boiware!
  11. Dec 24, 2013
    While at times there were eye popping issues with the combat system, Mass Effect brought us a Spaceborne Sci-Fi experience unchallenged in modern gaming.

An absolute Gem with head crushing depth that takes you on an adventure that by Journeys end, makes you really feel like you saved the universe and made some interesting friends along the way.

If you play this and don't enjoy it,
    you're crazy. Expand
  12. Sep 9, 2013
    One of the most boring games I've ever played. The combat at the start isn't very fun but it gets worse when you go to the boring alien city. There is no action all you do is walk around talking to people for hours and it never tells you where to go so you are walking around lost with nothing to do
  13. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, where to begin? This game is great, don't listen to the critics that gave this game a low score, they obviously don't have the brainpower to make galaxy saving decisions. Even though it is my least favorite Mass Effect game, its still a great game. The main antagonist(s) are very intimidating an the game really makes you hate them so that when you finally fight them, it feels all the more satisfying to finally take them down. The game really makes you feel for your squadmates and crew members, and if you let them die, you feel bad about it! Not many games can do that, Bioware does a great job with character development. Now the reason it got an 8, the glitches, good God they are everywhere, I would get stuck in almost every level of the game and I would have to turn off my console and restart from where I was last, it was a constant annoyance, the combat was fun and the graphics were average compared to the rest of the series. Very fun game, and a great kickstart to the Mass Effect series. Expand
  14. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that started the ''The next Star Wars franchise of this new generation'' clearly showed, why it would become the next most iconic sci-fi piece of work since over the last decades. Pointing out a few negatives, the Geth Hoppers were extremely silly and annoying at most times due to the fact you couldn't have a proper clear shot and that gets you into shouting ''Stand still, you stupid robot frog!''. Another negative I would point out is the annoying 'Ally' achievements that take a lot of time and additional money to spend to get them. Of course, the main reason why I would give this game a 10 is because of the weaponry and ammo varieties you got from it that made this game enjoyable, the complex and emotional story line certainly delivers appeal. The best part, emotionally, was the pressure you had on saving Wrex and then either having Kaidan or Ashley to die as heroes on Virmire. The planetary exploration especially was very, very intriguing, and super fun, which added to the mystery of every accessible planet each time you found an Anomaly on your radar with the Mako, loved the ''Bring Down The Sky'' DLC, especially the high-key, intense ambient soundtrack while outside the impending asteroid! Mass Effect's abstract animation and film grain added to the fun factor of this game! Mass Effect 1 is the progeny of a new revolutionary sci-fi era! Although a few extremely weird glitches popping up time by time, it wasn't enough to make me downgrade the score to 9, this and it's successor ME2 are a work of sci fi art! Expand
  15. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had big hopes for Mass Effect when downloading it from Xbox LIVE. And after creating a character, it was time to venture outside our galaxy, the Milky Way.
    In Mass Effect you play as commander Shepard, the first human spectre, whom has been tasked with hunting down the turian renegade Saren. A former spectre that now works with the geth, a mechanical race of aliens, in search for the reapers. An ancient forgotten race of machines that are said to have exterminated the protheans that created the technology that the modern society uses in everyday life.
    Mass Effect is a roleplaying game with some shooter elements in it. This works very well, except for the in-game that feels clunky when your new to the game.
    When it comes to the graphics, well... They are certainly not the best graphics of the Xbox 360 but it's neither the worst looking game out there. Sometimes the game looks great but the thing is, Mass Effect suffers greatly from frame rate issues. Either after a loading screen or in the midst of battle, the frame rate will suffer. Greatly.
    Then there is the music and I have to say, this is probably on of my favourite video game soundtracks, period. The voices are also great and all the voice actors made a fantastic work giving their voices to Shepard and his friends.
    Mass Effect is a great game with great music, good graphics, and great gameplay. This is probably one of my favourite games and I highly recommend it. Mass Effect gets a 9 out of 10.
  16. Rem
    Jul 11, 2013
    Mass Effect is a shining achievement in video game storytelling with the journey throughout the galaxy of Commander Shepard. This trek is not without technical problems, but past that is one of the greatest video game stories ever. Bioware has a legendary status with its games such as KOTOR and Baldur's Gate, but tacking such a vast and ambitious idea is chilling. Space has never been more beautiful in this game, and simply exploring the galaxy and reading up on the planets and codex is enough to keep you immersed and engaged. However the ambition of this carries over to how the game performs. The framerate drops in almost every battle I encounter due to the high quality and scale of the game. Speaking about the game, the combat, while feeling similar does enough to feel fresh. What's most amazing is how it actually feels like you are actually playing a sci-fi roleplaying game. The skill trees are deep and customization of your own Commander Shepard is fun, if not messy at times. However what stuck with me most was the characters. These are some of the most believable characters I've ever seen with spot on facial animations and a deep lore. It did enough for me to feel for the characters. Most importantly, the game puts choice not only into gameplay, but into story. Your actions alone can determine the fate of someone's life in an intuitive and clever dialogue system and in one where the main character can speak in. What holds this back from a 9 are some annoying glitches, chugging framerate, rigid Mako physics, and messy inventory screen. BUT play this game. If you enjoy storytelling of any kind, you owe it to yourself to play Mass Effect. Expand
  17. Jul 11, 2013
    The Mass Effect franchise is one of the most well-established RPG’s of this age, and this is a title it is certainly deserving of. It all started with Mass Effect, which includes the most customization of any of the games in the series however it also includes the most flawed gameplay. The characters and the interesting sci-fi universe are the best part of this game. While the story itself is nothing new, the voice acting is superb and you’ll find that the best moments in this game are when you are chatting with a friend rather than duking it out on the battlefield. In fact, I’m going to go so far as to say the combat is boring and uninteresting.

Therefore it’s such a shame that the battlefield is where you’ll spend a majority of the game It isn’t that the combat is broken- it is just boring. There is nothing new to it. But that isn’t even the worst part of the combat- the biggest flaw here is the autosave. You’ll often play for 30 minutes and then die and have to go all the way back to the beginning. You’ll have to learn to save on your own but even then if an enemy is remotely nearby you can’t save. This means you may have to go through the same 30 minutes to an hour of boring combat multiple times so you can progress the story. The only reason I trudged through the missions was so I could get back to the ship and advance my relationships with the other characters and learn about their histories and backstories.

Not only does it have boring combat, but it has these broken and horrendous driving moments using a vehicle called the Mako which haunts me in my dreams to this day. So then, how could I give this game an 8.5 if I have all these complaints? Honestly, as I mentioned earlier, it is the characters that make this game. You play as Commander Shepard, a character whom you shape. Shepard can be a boy or girl, black or white, blonde or brown (or any other hair color) and on and on. There is no canon Shepard and you can play as him/her on a good (paragon), bad (renegade), or neutral path. Or you could just go crazy and pick whatever options you want. There is no right playthrough however I’d recommend deciding on whatever you would do/ whatever you think is right for your first playthrough.

You can choose how to advance Shepard’s skills as well as his class, so its up to you whether you want him to be a charismatic leader or a violent over-powered man. This is something which was unfortunately dumbed down in the sequels and is another way that this game immerses you in. You can also upgrade your squad-mates skills but this is optional.

Mass Effect is one of the best games I have ever played, which feels so unusual for me to say considering I found the actual gameplay itself boring. It looks great despite being a few years old and has brought the RPG genre the attention it deserves. Everyone will experience this game in a different way and walk out with a story to tell, and as long as you are patient enough to make it through the monotonous combat sequences then you are in for a real treat.

Full score: 8.5/10
    You can also check out my second opinion at: http://binarymessiah.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/mass-effect-9-510/
  18. Jul 2, 2013
    i hate this game the only reason i played it (halfway through then got my brother to finish it for me) was to import my choices to the sequel.
    pros: choices, importing saves to sequels. most characters are good, some good story parts, sovereign is a good villain, character customization, punching a reporter, mako
    cons: saren is a terrible main villain hes pretty much second in command,
    story starts off with saren as the main villain (most of the game), some choices are really easy to make, there are alot of side quests that you just have to charm or intimidate someone and the rest are just kill stuff, tons of texture poppin, worst cover system ive ever seen alot of times the cover doesnt work and whenever you shoot you stand outside of cover for 5 seconds getting shot alot, biotics take to long to charge so there pretty much useless, framerate drops alot, planets look the same, enemy ai charges your position and kills you in one hit 50% of the time, your shields do nothing, the only weapon worth using is the assault rifle and only soldiers can use it. Expand
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is full of glitches, a terrible frame-rate, pop in issues and boring side missions. Then why does it get a 9? Because everything else in the game is amazing. The gameplay is tight, full of RPG elements that keep it continuously interesting. The characters are all great, and the sense of freedom is spot on. However, the best aspect of Mass Effect is its story. The story in the original Mass Effect is, in my humblest of opinions, the most complete and well worked of any in the series. By the end of the game, you'll feel satisfied with the game's conclusion, something that I didn't get from the other two Mass Effect games.

Yes, the game has issues, a lot of them in fact. However, it is easy to overlook them when everything else is this good.
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is good but has multiple missteps that stop it from being even better so i'm going to tell you the goods and bads so you can make up your own minds pros -good character creator -great characters and story -real RPG choices (nowadays RPG means you can level up and gain perks and stuff) -cool branching dialogue options -an ability to import your saves into the sequels making the choices even more interesting and need to decide carefully
    -good voice acting
    -interesting in game universe with unique and creative aliens (instead of just having Martians)
    cons
    -combat is not very good (but after a while it becomes playable. not good, playable)
    -Saren feels more like a second in command then a main villain (luckily Sovereign is cool)
    -really bad texture loading
    -your powers take forever to recharge
    -frustratingly hard
    -powers are kind of useless in this game (play as a soldier on this game then be something else in the sequels)
    - no weapons but the assault rifle really feels useful in a fight
    -enemys shields save them tons of times but your shields get torn through in seconds
  21. Jun 3, 2013
    Mass Effect is one of those games that’s kind of in its own genre. I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of RPG, action and choice elements. I also loved the ability to explore planets (which they sadly took away in Mass Effect 2). Things like a horrible inventory system stop it from reaching greatness, but it’s a thoroughly entertaining experience, even today.
  22. Jun 3, 2013
    This game takes a lot of time to get used. The combat is a bit awkward, the cover system isn't any better. The story and dialogue are beyond that of any game of its time. There's an enormous and imerssive universe to take part in. Once you're in, it's hard to get out. You'll find yourself exploring planets, getting to know other characters, fighting using either guns or powers or both.
  23. May 30, 2013
    This is my favorite Mass Effect out of the series and I enjoy the emphasis on dialogue. Sure, the story may seem cliche, but all the characters are really well developed; you just have to invest time in them. The combat isn't the best I've seen and is generally annoying throughout a lot of the game, but once you get high level gear it becomes so much more fun. I'd definitely check it out as it's my favorite Bioware game on the Citadel. Expand
  24. May 23, 2013
    Mass Effect has an amazing universe and unique characters. But the first time playing this is... odd from the other Mass Effects. As you have inventory and equipment which is just there by the truck loads. The shooting mechanic is workable, but cheap. Biotics and Tech felt the same as it did. Armor classes sucked as people with light armor had to use more squad tactics, but heavy armor users felt like chargers and punishers. It gave me the feeling that I wasn't the 'Commander' I need to be, but i guess it's to mix gameplay and roles between everyone's different Shepards. Had a few glitches, but that's about it. Expand
  25. May 19, 2013
    Mass Effect is a RPG than i have never seen executed this good. It' story is satisfying as you play as Commander Shepard, and through that you can customize him as much as you like. As him, you choose decisions which each have an outcome of their own. Be aware that you will have to make tough choices that can affect you, your goal, and others in short term and also in long term. This is the first game in the Mass Effect Trilogy that starts it all, just as the others it has a deep and rich universe worth exploring. You will start to care about the characters you find out through your adventure and feel attached to them, emotionally. It' story is also well done, something unlike i have ever seen. It is mysterious, it will make you wonder as you are travelling the galaxy in search for answers and questions. Combat in this game is kind of the weak point of it. The cover system barley works, sometimes it may get you killed. Also graphically the game looks fine, though there are spots in it that look ugly, but nothing truly that ruin the experience for the player. If you don't care about graphics. There are also some technical difficulties in this game too, fps may drop down, and sometimes the game may freeze or crash on you. But that's rare to occur. Overall, the game delivers an amazing setting, awesome characters, and one of the best story's ever told in history. If your looking for a good story set in a Star Wars type setting, then this game is for you. Expand
  26. May 14, 2013
    Incredible, epic space-opera RPG, those who came up with Mass Effect has a fantastic imagination, this game is so awesome and kept me busy with months of gameplay and work. While it does focus a bit too much on humans (just about all the assignments and things revolve around them). Mass Effect has so much things for you to do, a great level up system, fantastic characters with excellent voice acting and an exciting story very well imagined. Expand
  27. May 7, 2013
    Best SRPG game. The conversation wheels, the choices, the voice acting, Liara, the ending and satisfactory after completed the game. never a game gave me this blood-pumping feeling after the ending. i played the game 7 times, my record, never played a game again and again and every time can be so amazed by the game design and details.
  28. Apr 4, 2013
    Good
    Fantastic Voice-Acting and Story, Moral Choices Are Excellent, Some Of The Best Characters Ever, Wonderful Universe.
    Bad
    The Cover System Sucks, The Movement Is Sluggish, Every Weapon looks So Similar, The Gun crosshair is a pain in the a***/a**, Health System Is Terrible, Texture Pop-In is so bad and obvious, Save System is Annoying, Slow Pace in Gameplay
    Despite These Flaws This
    Is Still one of the best RPGs Ever Expand
  29. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is one of my favourite games of all-time, alongside both it's sequels. The thing that drew me in was the storyline which was very well thought-out and a lot of effort put into it unlike some other RPGs. The characters in this game are very detailed and like-able, each with their own interesting story. The voice-acting is amazing. There are negatives, such as the cluster of items you get from loot as they all seem copy-and-paste of each other with different colours with regards to weapons, there is more variation amongst armors however. The squad-based combat does work well even if it can be clunky at times, on the higher difficulties the game is a true challenge. The graphics are amazing to look at. Planet exploration in the Mako can be frustrating yet rewarding at the same time, the unexplored planets that you can land on each feel individual with their own story to them. Multitude of side-quests in this game, each of them interesting with some slight exceptions with the collection missions. You will find yourself being connected to the characters the more the game you play. Each of the classes in the game play differently which provides decent re-playability, alongside the difference you can make in choices along the way. One damn satisfying ending and an overall exceptional experience; this is one stand-out game. Clustering of inventory, bland and boring weapons, the odd tiresome and boring collection side-quests, the occasionally non-responsive combat game-play, the long and dull elevator scenes and not quite enough customization options all bring my personal score down by one, but this is still an amazing game to me. Expand
  30. Mar 22, 2013
    One of the best game worlds of all time. Its pretty insane how they created this universe. Feels like a very real futuristic place.
  31. Mar 9, 2013
    Mass Effect started one of the best, if not the best sci-fi RPG trilogies of all time. Even today, it's story, characters, and massive universe to explore remain almost unparalleled. Although the gameplay is very clunky, it's still decent enough to be enjoyable to play.

You will grow to love the characters Bioware has written, and possibly spend countless hours getting lost in the
    Citadel or exploring Uncharted Worlds. Even the soundtrack is beautiful. Honestly, if you haven't picked Mass Effect yet... what are you waiting for? Expand
  32. Feb 19, 2013
    I am writing this well after the fact. This game would have gotten a 10 if not for two aspects of the game (both of which are corrected in the sequels. The storytelling/storyline that this game starts is one of the best in modern gaming. The story is so well done that it has you thinking about it long after you have finished playing (much like a good book or TV series). However, if you are expecting great graphics, you will be sadly wanting. The graphics are definitely stuck in 2006. The gameplay is awesome with the exception of two aspects: Driving the Mako is maddeningly frustrating and the massive inventory of gun and gun upgrades. The physics of the mako movement work very poorly on the 360---you can tell it was designed with the linear gameplay of a PC in mind. Their are simply too many gun models in the game, 2/3rds of which are so bad you will never equip them. By mid-game you end up using the game guns no matter how many of the other models you get. Its pointless. That being said, the game provided just enough side quests (even with the repetitive environments) to satisfy the happy level grinder in me. Overall I loved this game and couldn't stop playing it. Expand
  33. Feb 15, 2013
    This game has been so controversial that I even can't understand why. ME1 is the first of hopefully a trilogy not 20 random sequels or stuff like, ME1 had me like, playing for months, I couldn't stop playing, BIO'-WARE thank you so much. ME1 and ME3 are the only one's I played and ME1 is a lot better but I did not play ME2 so I can't just choose which is the best or the worst. This has to be like the best role-playing game ever made, nah don't talk about that stupid Dragon Age or WoW or Diablo, I've seen enough of that The game also has great emotional scenes, and great voice acting and great graphics, I think everything is amazing about ME1. 9/10 Expand
  34. Feb 11, 2013
    A great game with fantastic original lore and story. There are some weaknesses like driving the Mako and repeated side quest maps, but all in all the story keeps you interested. The inventory system is a tad clunky but it has the best RPG elements of the three Mass Effect games. It has has plenty of oh snap moments and though you can create a wishy washy character, the game offers some great moments if you stick to an all good or all renegade type character as options become available in the dialogue for staying consistent. The game play when engaging enemies is a bit underwhelming but I can't stress enough the world of mass effect and the graphics alone are reasons to play this game at what I imagine is probably now a reduced price. Expand
  35. Feb 6, 2013
    Probably the best story of any game, any time period.
    I think it is even better than Star Wars V, there I said it!
    Bad maps in the citadel, takes a long time to explore a planet.
    Other than that, great game!
  36. Feb 4, 2013
    I couldn't help but jumping back in and playing through the first game again. While the game's mechanics are a little archaic, Mass Effect is filled with imagination, a stellar combat (minus the wonky cover system), fantastic and memorable characters all woven into an amazing story. I seriously can't put it down. Again. This series is the real deal, folks.
  37. Jan 28, 2013
    Finally gotten around to Mass Effect. I had always been apprehensive towards it for some reason and I guess we have gut feelings for a reason. Bioware's pedigree (KOTOR being excellent, probably the best game for the original xbox, and Dragon Age being entertaining) was the only reason I even gave it a shot, and needless to say I put this game into the same box as Dragon Age 2. The problem with Mass Effect is that it's not a bad game, it's just half assed. Everything about it is mediocre: puddle deep characters, ho-hum story, generic music, bland sci-fi world. Attach these things to a terrible UI (I'm looking at you equipment screen), a boring ass leveling system (virtually no difference in classes), boring fps style combat, horrible glitches (don't you dare get that **** car stuck, and nothing takes you out of a story like a characters teeth flickering constantly) and you have Mass Effect. I cannot believe that this series has gone on to produce three other games, and I really can't believe that Commander Sheppard has actually gone on to become a 'character of note' in the gaming industry, the man (or gal) has less personality than master chief for christ sake. If you like generic space marine sci-fi, play Mass Effect, me, I would have been just as happy to keep my 15 bucks, thanks. Expand
  38. Jan 18, 2013
    Average in every sense of the word from the poor pause select play non fluid combat, almost fun buggy rides detracted by very bland landscapes and stuck with the inane and pointless back story just so you can cop of off with one of your crew. All in all its just a dull grind to play more than once.
  39. Jan 2, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece. Space exploration gives the player a sense of wonder and excitement. The open universe created behind this game is beautiful and believable. The combat is all about strategy and using your skills to the fullest. The character customization, while not deep, is still enough to get you to want to play your character. The different stories for your teammates are interesting and allow you to connect with each one on a more personal level. The graphics are marvelous. Your choices actually have an effect on the story and gameplay (Duh! It's an RPG!). Ten out of ten for me. Expand
  40. Dec 31, 2012
    This game is fun to play and more then once. It gives you the options to create your own male or female characters with different profiles, appearance, and powers. You have a choice what order to do the main or side missions, and you can choose what kind of relationship to have with your crew and how to react to other characters in the game - You can be a jerk, nice guy, or somewhere in between. You have different weapons, armor, and abilities as different characters. And you can choose who will join you on a mission. The graphic and sound effects are good. I turn off the music so I can't comment on it. The missions are interesting and can be challenging. However, the game does have some hangups (IMO): Upgrading your teams equipment is kind of cumbersome, all the planets seem to repeat their terrain, just in a different color and weather. The game locked up on me a few times, but I was able to recover from it because I had the Auto Save turned on. Driving the Mako land cruiser is a pain, especially when trying to take out the enemy and avoid getting hit by missiles so It take time to get used to. And finally the AI/Enemy reactions become predicable so they are easy to take out. This game was/is totally enjoyable to play and I'm looking forward to playing #2 and #3 in the series. Expand
  41. Dec 26, 2012
    The first game I ever played on x-box 360. And was surprised at how I've never heard of this game before. It was simply great. The characters, the decisions, the classes, the story, and combat made me enjoy it very much.
  42. Dec 17, 2012
    Mass Effect is one of the first games that can change depending on your choices throughout the campaign. That in itself is already impressive, minus the scale and free roam of the galaxy you can explore. The story is gripping and it is easy to become emotionally connected with the characters. Possible customization choices with your character and your squad members is also surprisingly diverse. Would you like to have an additional scope on your rifle with acid bullets attached with a booster that can greatly increase damage and armor protection? Well now its possible. Mass Effect is so very successful in many ways but it sadly falls short in other things. This game is one of the most unpolished games I have ever played. Frame rate is unbelievably low and the game will lag as soon as there are more than two or three enemies on the screen. Driving controls are bad, to be simply put. It is difficult to even drive around a corner at times. Auto save areas are extremely rare and if you die, you will often have to start back at the beginning of the mission. There are glitches galore in some areas and I find it hard to understand that Bioware did not notice any of these issues. Character expressions and facial features look awkward during conversations, to say the least. However, many of things probably couldn't have been helped seeing as how it was made during 2007. This game is changing the way we play video games and everyone needs to play the trilogy for a truly unique experience. Expand
  43. Dec 15, 2012
    Never had a sci-fi/rpg/fps been so beautifully done. Starting your journey, you get to choose your character through a decent amount of customizable features and soldier styles. The story is as unique as I've seen in a game but what really makes for exciting gameplay is the decisions you make along the way. You can choose to be a paragon or renegade by helping or hurting others throughout your experience. You also have options when it comes to upgrading your character's skills/abilities. Without spoiling anything, this was one of my favorite gaming experiences when I played it in 2010. Expand
  44. Dec 14, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic story. Deep rich narrative with some excellent and well thought out characters. Mass Effect introduces us to a new universe that is large and diverse enough to compete with similar franchises like Star Wars or Star Trek. The game itself is also a joy to play: Diverse choices that really fell like they have an impact on the continuity, tons of weapon and armor types with even more chice when looking at the mods available to them. Now to the negative: Character models, particularly the humans, can be a little weak. Dungeons/Bases (the interior areas of enemy bases) are bland and far too similar. Planet exploration is fun, but using the Mako feels sluggish and tedious, especially on mountainous terrain. Overall: An absolutely fantastic game that is a masterpiece in story telling. Expand
  45. Dec 8, 2012
    As a fan of Star Wars I played Kotor back in 2003 and it was an awesome unique Xbox experience. Not only was the game technically impressive but Bioware had left a mark in RPG's with great storytelling/interface. I never really liked Sci-fi apart from SW and I skipped Mass Effect back in 2007. Even now in Dec 2012 im surprissed to comment that the game looks amazing and Im digging it even more than Kotor. It feels more original and less cumbersome in alot of aspects. Bioware has definitely crafted an interesting universe and Im looking forward to playing the sequels. Expand
  46. Dec 6, 2012
    This is a fun action centered RPG with an interesting story. It's exciting to see a new character in the video game universe. This is an RPG that fan's of shooters can easily sink their teeth into. As I said before the story is the heart and soul of this game. The only downsides are the frequent and often lengthy loading times. It is neat that you can land and roam around on most planets but it is usually boring and repetative. If you are one of the few who haven't picked up this game I recommend it. The graphics might be a little dated at this point in the consoles lifespan but it is worth it for the story and the two sequels who build on this foundtation. Expand
  47. Dec 3, 2012
    I great game that I have played through three times, Mass Effect is a game centered around your decisions, which I cannot go into since it would lead to spoilers. Just know that it is a futuristic world, where you live among alien races each with their own goals. The Turians are badass, they have the best military and a seat on the council. The Quarians are the most mysterious, all you really know at the start is that they created these robots called the Geth that want to kill you. The asari are the mono gendered leaders of the council who are the wisest species given the fact they live over a 1000 years unless they get shot in the face. The Salarians are the mad scientists who act like kids you picked on in middle school. Last but not least you have the Krogans who are warriors and love to fight and kill stuff, like the Geth. This is just an overview of the species, the story to mass effect is so crazy that it keeps you wanting to play so you can dive into the universe it portrays. I could tell u more, but what is the fun f that? Just know that its campaign is centered around a awesome futuristic universe, and not as detailed as an Elder Scrolls Game. Expand
  48. Nov 29, 2012
    Mass Effect is the best sci-fi game in years. You play as Commander Shepard, an Alliance military commander assigned to the SSV Normandy. After a mission on Eden Prime goes wrong you are left with images of the galaxy's imminent destruction at the hands of a synthetic race known as the Reapers. With time running short you must gather a team, learn more about the Reapers and track down every possible lead to stop the Reapers 50,000 year cycle and save the galaxy.
    Mass Effect combines third person shooting with RPG gameplay, causing fast intense shootouts and detailed skill trees, levelling and inventory systems to work cohesively and with ease. A must play for shooter and RPG fans.
  49. Oct 29, 2012
    BioWare did it again!!! One of the most cinematic games of all-time, something that's definitely helped by a fantastic story, great writing, movie-quality direction, and strong voiceover work.
  50. Oct 16, 2012
    Good story and interesting characters, detailed and believable universe, excellent visual design, the soundtrack is a luxury. In short, a deep RPG ommended.
  51. Oct 9, 2012
    I hate looking like one of those stupid fanboys that automatically scores a game a 10. I can assure you I am a fanboy well earned. I had an absolute blast with every single second of this game. I put it in, feeling very uncertain (at the time I didn't keep up with videogame news and had no idea what it was, just decided it looked cool). It quickly grabbed me and 5 years later I still commend it as one of the greatest games I have ever played. Yes it does have some minor issue, the elevator rides were excuses for long loading screens and some texture popping issues, but nothing that makes this game any less than perfect. It is truly the pinnacle of perfection for story telling in gaming, or any for of entertainment for that matter. This is the incredibly rare perfect game, the perfect diamond, the unicorn....GET IT Expand
  52. Oct 8, 2012
    I've played a lot of Science Fiction games during my lifetime. I can honestly say that Mass Effect is the best game in the genre. The opening backstory "Mass Effect" is not so amazing to start off with, but then you see the impact of the backstory right before your eyes as you progress through the game. The story keeps getting stronger and more exciting from there, and more emotional.

The game was so good that I couldn't wait for Mass Effect 2: an amazing game that while being great, lacks some of the feel that I felt when playing the first Mass Effect. Play Mass Effect. If you haven't, you should. This is the kind of video game not meant for gamers. This one is based around character development, story and moral choices that are hard to achieve in this gaming age.
  53. Oct 6, 2012
    Yes the mako missions were a pain and the autosave was crap, but i still cannot give this game anything but a 10 still. The gameplay, once i got it down, it was so gooooood. Not to mention this campaign is no question the best i have ever played. Amazing story.
  54. Sep 26, 2012
    I have never experienced more joy while playing a game than this. This could be one of my favorite games of all time. I was a little late to the party for this game, after hearing how great it was i decided to give it a shot and thank god I did! I love story based games, I love creating characters, making choices, and this game is perfect for that. I also really appreciate the option to be a girl because most games do not have that. The romances are also really fun and the decision making feels real. When i was on a mission and had to choose which squad member died I sat in my spot for an hour thinking about it. The story telling is just nothing short of brilliant and I love this game. My only gripes are the fact that some of the mechanics need to be improved. But all in all this game is brilliant. Expand
  55. Sep 3, 2012
    Begins the fantastic Mass Effect series with a new style of Action RPG's, taking themes and designs from KOTOR. A flawed masterpiece mass effect struggles with combat, level design, and of course the Mako. But underneath all the flaws is one of the greatest video games I have played.
  56. Aug 24, 2012
    I enjoyed Mass Effect, though I wrestled with the interface (particularly the inventory) and controls at times. It's a decent, semi-hard sci-fi space opera that is definitely worth your time.
  57. Aug 15, 2012
    As a world, as a story, this game executes flawlessly. This is the kind of game that will make you pull all nighters just to find out what will happen next. The combat mechanics aren't the greatest, but that is not the point of a bioware game. Bioware games used to be all about the engrossing character arcs, the progression from lowly peon to the greatest of all time. They were never the best at character animation or gameplay mechanics, but that was all superfluous because there was never a company that made you want to play the game quite like bioware has. This has all changed ever since they sold out their company to ea as is evidenced by the horrendous direction the series has gone in. They have sacrificed the thing that made them unique in order to become a more homogenized game developing machine. Game development used to be a passion for bioware, now it is simply about which corners to cut and which variable should be maximized to gain the biggest market share and blah blah blah, all at the expense of true vision and a passionate, quality product.

This game and the first dragon age are the swan song of the bioware of old. This is a game everyone who loves consistent, chill-inducing dialogue and a breathtaking universe to explore should play. But for the love of god, stay away from the sequels, the stripped down cash grabs that they are. If you see one, burn it with fire.
  58. Aug 7, 2012
    Within the first 1 or 2 hours into the game, I already knew my purchase was worth it, the interactivity in the new story where I could pick my own outcomes was great, I had never felt such an experience, the graphics were great for it's time and I think it was definitely game of the year 2007. The one and only problem I had was the driving around on random planets with the Mako, it was required to get the 'Completionist' achievement, it did get a little annoying scaling all of those mountains. Expand
  59. Aug 6, 2012
    Amazing. What can be said about this game which hasn't been already? As a kid raised on Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers etc. I remember longing for the day when I'd be off exploring space in a starship and as puberty hit you realize that day will never come. Mass Effect however get's me as close to that experience as a young kid could wish for (without the hassles of work or death either) and as a game it's a boat load of fun to boot. Does it have flaws? Of course, but they are so minor when compared to the overall experience that I'm not even going to mention them here. If I were to list all the plus points of the game this review would be 100 pages long. A sheer joy to play and a must-buy for anyone with an Xbox 360. Expand
  60. Jul 17, 2012
    I'm jumping on this bandwagon a little bit late, having just finished this game with both 2 and 3 already out. This is truly an excellent game, exciting and fast-paced, and truly designed with the characters in mind. The player has an amazing amount of control in how they develop, and although a certain sequence of quests cannot be avoided or changed majorly, your decisions can have a huge impact on the game world. The only issue I had with this game was the tutorial at the very beginning. It sucked. I made it through it without truly understanding all of the controls, and spent several of the first quests still figuring out how to use necessary skills. Other than this rocky beginning, this was a truly amazing gaming experience, and I am very excited to continue the series. Expand
  61. Jul 11, 2012
    Although the worst game of the trilogy, Mass Effect still delivers. It doesn't have the depth of planet exploration like the others, but it is still an awesome game. Very addicting, after I played it I HAD to beat the whole trilogy.
  62. Jun 27, 2012
    A very engrossing and entertaining rpg/action game. A great story backed by an extremely satisfying conclusion bring this game into one of my favorite Xbox 360 games.

***SOUP'S GAME OF THE YEAR 2007***
  63. Jun 20, 2012
    Space, the final frontier. A place often visited by video games but seldom depicted with such grace. Mass effect is a space orientated 3rd person shooter based in a galaxy similar to ours with varied alien races controlling it. You play the role of Commander (Insert Name) Shepard, a Spectre, and commander over the ship the Normandy. You follow the epic journey of Shepard and his team and attempt to slave the galaxy from those who threaten it. The game brings so many new ideas to the table. The one that really stuck for me was choices that ACTUALLY effect the storyline. Dynamic conversations allow you to take several routes of storyline leading to new places every playthrough. The game even features the talented Seth Green as a voice actor. The gameplay is smooth with varied enemies to fight with different attributes and characteristics which you must adapt to. The game has beautiful graphics and scenery for it's time and a wonderful soundtrack. If I was to complain about anything it would be two things ; the game takes some time to get into and the guns heat up rather than a bullet system. I know the second sounds silly but is more a pet hate of mine. Overall if you a fan of Bioware, rpgs, shooters and space, there's no reason not to like this game. Just remember "You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than commander Shepard!" -Miracleofsound. Expand
  64. Jun 18, 2012
    Im going to be honest...I played the second game first. However, I feel that while the combat in Mass effect is pretty awful at first, the story is great. Mass Effect is a fantastic game. The characters, however, are not quite as fleshed out as in the other games. However, they are still pretty entertaining. The game does have the occasional glitch but that doesnt stop it from being a good game.
  65. May 19, 2012
    Mass effect is the final piece of the puzzle that game are an art form the story is the best part I could not stop playing it was that good even if you don't like RPGs get it just for the story
  66. May 10, 2012
    the original Mass Effect has a fantastic story and RPG elements and I think is the best in the series at giving a real sense of size to the galaxy with large open areas, large buildings and a lot of exploring. There are some game play issues: it definitely doesn't have the greatest combat and the mako is a little hard to control but personally though the controls don't come natural I had pretty much mastered them by the end. Love this game. Expand
  67. May 5, 2012
    This game is RPG storytelling perfected. A wonderfully complex good/evil structure forcing the player to go deeper than simply do this and do that. Player customization is deep and rewarding and playing the gamethrough as different characters yields unique combat experiences. The pacing some will find slow, but in a game rich in story, a slower movement allows for more to be taken in and enjoyed. Great game start to finish. Expand
  68. May 1, 2012
    Just one of the best games which I was able to play in all my player's career. Scenario incredibly well tied up, charming characters, revolutionary gameplay so to speak, and really remarkable graphics for period ! Although the passages in Mako are one so much is little irritating on edges, we appreciate all the same the vast universe whom is Mass Effect. I advise it to every player. Life expectancy of 30 hours for somebody who has never played it, 15-20h for the others. Expand
  69. Apr 25, 2012
    This was a great game that really made you feel like you were in a 1980's sci-fi movie. I kind of felt like I was the captain of the Enterprise exploring the universe, but also like I was watching a movie, and playing a shooter RPG at the same time.

People who didn't like the game seemed to be expecting shooter game mechanics like in Call of Duty. Everyone who enjoyed it understood it was
    an RPG with guns and special powers, and that you'll be weak until you level them up. Expand
  70. Apr 3, 2012
    An amazing narrative where your choices affect your journey. It's the best example of conversational and technical sci-fi. Bioware built a complex and malleable story focused on you avatar's interaction with interesting characters. The gameplay is also amazing, allowing for the pace of a shooter for the enjoyment of an RPG. There's little better than taking down one target through a sniper's scope and then taking out his friend with a biotic blast. It's a rich and rewarding universe that encourages exploration and vast numbers of replays. Expand
  71. Mar 27, 2012
    An adult, interesting and very entertaining game. I like the customization and the freedom of taking your owndecisions. It is big and beautiful, with many imagination and good ideas. The best saga that has been created in the epoch of Xbox 360.
  72. Mar 25, 2012
    Mass Effect is an amazing game, albeit deeply flawed. The gameplay is mediocre at best and horribly boring at worst, especially those Mako sections. That being said, the reason the game is still incredible in spite of its problems is that it has a marvelous story with some incredible decision-making sequences along the way. It has moments that are guaranteed to send a chill down your spine. On top of that, it introduces the player to some amazing characters that you will enjoy talking to more than 90% of the people you know in real life. It isn't a perfect game, but it does deliver a perfect experience. Expand
  73. Mar 24, 2012
    The deepest, richest, most story-driven game I've ever experienced. The characters alone are so powerful they will have you on a journey you will never want to end. If you like the deep rich plot and character exploration of books, the action and suspense of movies and the freedom of Sci-Fi games, you need Mass Effect.
  74. Mar 21, 2012
    A amazing game. You can choose what kind of person you can be and many variety of weapons and armor. Also a very well done dialogue. Ultimately what ever you do will effect what will happen in the future. Only thing from this game getting a perfect score is the pointless side quest not ALL side quest are pointless but most are and all of them are pretty much the same.
  75. Mar 20, 2012
    This gets a 9 simply because of the mako exploration of planets. I cannot get over how many times I got stuck in some rut and had to restart. Also, there essentially is no autosave; you pretty much reset to the beginning of the mission. That being said, the scale of this game is amazing, and the remainder of the trilogy is even better from here.
  76. Mar 18, 2012
    It gives you a sense, that you're a part of big adventure. And it actually does you a part. Unforgettable experience. Maybe the last great story of our generation. Nothing compares.
  77. Mar 15, 2012
    I have played many games from now to when I was five years old sneaking on the Nintendo at three in the morning. There was a time I went through a stage of not really getting into stories from many games because many stories just seemed the same. The great thing about Mass Effect was it really grasped me, and I actually felt like I was in the story. It has a few minor things that keep it from perfection, but I strongly advise this game if you want to be brought into the world of science fiction from a video game. 10 Expand
  78. Mar 14, 2012
    An incredibly original, smart and powerful space opera RPG. I can't say enough good things about this game. For it's time, the graphics and controls were top notch. Yes, there was an issue with managing inventory but really that's a small detail. Overall this is an impressive game with an excellent soundtrack, voice cast and story where your decisions matter.
  79. Mar 13, 2012
    was a great game, revolutionary, unique...

shame that after they destroyed, Thx EA Games you are a big cancer...

this franchise never had to have left the microsoft, sorry dudes, but is a sad reality.
  80. Mar 12, 2012
    Should I play Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 3? Does playing through the first two games make the wait worth it? I would play through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 numerous times before playing through Mass Effect 3. I absolutely love the series so far. Here is how Mass Effect felt to me. I hope you enjoy.

If I had one word to describe my experience with Commander
    Shepard it would be wow! From touching the Prothean Beacon on Eden Prime to the final battle with a Saren "like" creature. I hate that I am just now finishing it, because I am already on Mass Effect 2. Hopefully, I will get to Mass Effect 3 some time this summer (ha-ha). I have been playing this game since 2009, and due to a couple of "Red Ring's" I had to put-off the game for some time.

This is probably one of the best stories I have ever experienced in over two decades of gaming. Every planet, mission, and side quest told intricate details to flush out the Mass Effect universe even better. The only reason this game lacks the one point needed for the perfect score would be due to two factors. First, on the side mission planets Commander Shepard drives around an SUV like vehicle called a Mako. Unlike the shark the vehicle is named after this Mako is clunky and difficult to drive up mountains (which seem to be in abundance in every planet). The clunky mechanics make it difficult for a completion-ist (like myself) to scavenge every single piece of the world looking for loot. I still did this to most worlds, but near the end of the game the story was so amazing I just did the side quest on the planet and stopped looking around for more loot.

Loot in Mass Effect comes in the form of weapons, weapon mods, bullet mods, armor, medical mods, medi-gel (used to heal the mako, party members, and even Commander Shepard), and grenades. Fun to collect, but by the time I got near the 45-50 hour mark I rarely found anything better than what I already had. The second reason to hold off the perfect score would be world creation. For three of the headlined side quests (where you help your party members) Commander Shepard finds himself in the same bunker. The same bunker appears in about a half dozen planets, and there are others which get recycled in a couple different areas. For Bioware to make a game this large in 2007 means sacrifices like this probably had to be made. I finished it in 2012 where bunkers (dungeons) can be artificially built by AI. I would not say the combat is bad, though I would not say it was great either. Probably due to the year Mass Effect came out, I am comparing it to games years past its time.

It must be saying something where I am comparing this game with titles which have came out in the past 12 months. I loved every bit of the story. I yearned for every second of cut scene I could get.

I have not even spoken about the fact where Commander Shepard's decisions have a lasting effect in the Mass Effect universe. The decisions made in Mass Effect carry over to Mass Effect and Mass Effect three. Also, the characters who die in the first game are dead in the next two. Mass Effect 3 in now in stores, and according to some web sites sold over 800,000 in its first 24 hours. Bioware's publisher EA (Electronic Arts) has shipped over 3.5 million units worldwide. It is no doubt everyone is wanting to play Mass Effect 3.

Without a doubt I would absolutely play Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 before playing Mass Effect 3. Which is why I am now playing the second game with every spare second to finish before I crack into the third entry. Game Informer gave Mass Effect 3 a perfect 10, and IGN gave it a 9.5. I want, with every inch of my being, to go pick up Mass Effect 3 and play for 24 hours straight.

However, Mass Effect 3 will only be a perfect game by bringing in my own save files which make my decisions matter in the "final battle."

I hope this helps you if your trying to debate playing the first two games before starting the third. This series is worth every minute of the hundreds of hours you will spend playing it!
  81. Mar 10, 2012
    First, I would like to say that I unfortunately was not able to complete Mass Effect.I was about to decide to save or abandon the council when my game crashed and my save corrupted. I have never been more furious, but I can't help but realize that what I had almost beaten had been one of favorite gaming experiences. This game isn't perfect by any means. For example, why Bioware decided to go with an infinite ammo mechnic is beyond me and the first few hours are incredibly stagnant for a game that eventually ends up being a phenomenal experience. There is easily 50+ hours worth of entertainment here but it's buried under mediocre controls and a weapon system that leaves something to be desired. Where Mass Effect truly shines is it's story. The player choice implemented invery action is a wonderful change of pace that sets Mass Effect apart from every other 3rd person shooter. After the first few hours the story picks up and goes to places that no man has gone before. In summary, Mass Effect is a wonderful game buried under a thin layer of mediocrity in the gameplay department. That doesn't stop Mass Effect from doing what it aims to do in the first place:deliver a masterful story that is diven by genuine emotion and player choice. Nathan out. Expand
  82. Mar 6, 2012
    The original. Gameplay is horrible. But the story keeps you picking up the controller. The side missions all take place on the same map with different colors. Your first play through the game is always crap by design. Does not hold up compared to today's games.
  83. Mar 6, 2012
    One of my favorites of all time, top 3 games. Really fun game, great choices, interesting cast of characters, and a compelling story. Still occasionally pick it up and play. By far the best of the 3 (not that it says much anymore)
  84. Mar 2, 2012
    Played and beaten Mass Effect 2 with a very excited mood, but when play again Mass Effect to get the original storyline and characters, it is still very impressive. Let´s forget the combat, which is a little awful, look at the storyline, an epic one, it will keep you hours just investigating and to understand more and more. Oh, one last thing: forget all of the assignments, they will bother you pretty much, and dilute you from enjoying the game. Expand
  85. Feb 28, 2012
    this game is mediocre at best its so boring the fighting system is boring all of the facial expresions on the people make them look like robots and the characters are boring in my opinion its not very fun at all i dont know why everyone likes it so much the only cool thing about the game is how you can shape the future of the game by having text choices
  86. Feb 28, 2012
    BioWare's grand experiment pays off. Bringing in a brand new IP in the form of a grand, sweeping space opera narrative, Mass Effect excels at atmosphere and world building, with a great retro-future-electro soundtrack complimenting a clean art design that references the futuristic designs of the recent past. Introducing a fully-voiced protagonist, the customisable Commander Shepard, in an interactive story that offers choice and consequence, with a cast of memorable aliens and exotic locations. The story is a top notch space chase after the rogue alien Saren, and his mysterious allies from beyond memory, in a style that is a bit like James Bond meets Captain Kirk. Overall the presentation is impressive. Weaker, however, is some of the actual game mechanics. Trying to move on from the somewhat tired formula of behind the scenes dice-rolls for combat, BioWare have put in a (not-quite) real time shooter mechanic, which while effective in gameplay terms, seems limited and unsophisticated in comparison with more dedicated shooter games. Also, the attempt to add vehicle exploration sections does not quite work, with an ungainly Mako APC roving about fairly bland barren moonscapes ending up at one of the same 3 repeated locations. However, the ambition should be applauded, and while Mass Effect does not quite nail it in terms of action gameplay, it more than makes up for it in terms of roleplaying narrative and style, and tantalisingly allows players to migrate their saves into its follow up games, something that has since proved to work rather well (in Mass Effect 2).It is quite a bold idea to produce a grand story arc over a trilogy of games and allowing players to fully customise that experience, and Mass Effect gets the endeavour off to a solid start. Expand
  87. Feb 26, 2012
    This is a spectacular game!! Rich, deep story line, and a vast and very realistic universe. I enjoyed the variety of weapons and environments and enemies. There is so much to explore! This game is immersive and addicting! I enjoyed the ability to characterize and customize. The weapons are awesome, and the gameplay is great! This game is fun!! The story is truly unique. I loved the decision making, and the plot twists. Great game play, great game. Totally worth multiple play-thoughs! Great job Bioware!! Expand
  88. Feb 15, 2012
    I did not enjoy this game even in the slightest i don't know what game everyone else has been playing but i hate this game. A lot of frustration when i get hit by a rocket drone's rocket and die instantly. A lot of frustration with lag and it has the worst timing. The AI is by far the worst AI i have ever encountered. Team mates block shots all of the time. The difficulty is automatically set to hard, not that I mind the difficulty, it's the massive time in between autosaves that frustrates me to no end. The plot is amazing, the graphics still stand up today but it has way too many issues to recommend. The only reason im playing this game is because i picked up mass effect 2 for 20 bucks and it is my favorite game. Cannot wait for mass effect 3. Expand
  89. Feb 12, 2012
    Bioware have created a game set in a wonderful universe with exciting places to discover populated with unforgettable characters, with a very decent combat and leveling up systems and a fantastic storyline.
  90. Feb 10, 2012
    First let me say I love the people who gave this game zero's or very low scores. I love how they **** about how long and boring the game is. They obviously did no homework or just didn't understand what the game was supposed to be. I'm writing I know years after its release but I feel the need deal with it. Mass effect is an epic game both in story and scope. I for one love then fact it had no multiplayer online play, that is an aspect of gaming that is focused sadly far to much now a days. I actually am a bit upset that mass effect 3 will require me to play the online play to get an easier true ending. I also loved the length and fact there was more then button bashing, mindless explosions and retard "go to check point B and kill this, then go to check point C and kill this" that crap gets old really fast and is pointless. If you wanted a FPS then go get MW3 or some other mindless shooting game and live on line shooting your friends in the head. The AI was horrible and some of the planet scenes being just vast wastelands is the reason I gave it a 9/10 and not a full 10. The charactors, story, dialogue and movie feel this game has is the reason I'm excited and love to play games in this generation and why I can't wait for the next gen consoles to come out. This game was a good buy 50 and is still a good buy at 20 which is the going rate for a used copy. Expand
  91. Feb 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has such a good story, that it really is hard to even care about the small faults that some other users have complained about. Imagine an epic tale where you, the character is center to saving an entire galaxy from an almost invulnerable enemy. The interactions with characters is so good, that you'll form opinions about them and root for them, or despise them. Yes its true that there aren't good side quests in this game. I do not think the weapon inventory system is bad at all, I think its very simple and straightforward. The action is pretty good, though it does tend to be on the easy side. The mako is fun and only idiots are unable to use it. My real reason for not giving this a ten is because that the morality meter in comparison to other Bioware games is not fleshed out enough. You don't really ever be evil, you can either be a nice guy or a renegade, which is basically just no compassion. But really you never get the oppourtunity to take power or join Saren or do anything that would be described as evil. That is the one thing that brings this game down. And don't tell me about the whole choice about killing the Council, I don't see that as evil, as you are giving power to HUMANITY, not yourself. Expand
  92. Feb 5, 2012
    Mass Effect is one of the greatest games Ive ever played. The story is wonderful, the game is a unique experience every time due to the ability to make your own decisions. No complaints in the combat department, and I have very few in the graphics department. My only real gripe is that I found the final boss battles pretty lame, but that turned out okay cause the ending was so great. High nine out of 10, Bioware **** rules. Expand
  93. Feb 1, 2012
    I found the game overall enjoyable. It was slow, and absurdly hard at random sometimes but I found the free roaming aspect in a shooter based rpg to be extremely fun. The story is also well written, so if you like your movie games jump on this one. There is also TONS of entertaining lore and a quite convincing environment for the future. They even go so far as to explain the futuristic tech.
  94. Jan 26, 2012
    Killer gameplay, a unique and enjoyable visual style and a truly inspired story, with even side-quests having enough well written mini-stories to keep you blasting. Were it not for a horrible revelation ten minutes ago, this game would receive a 10, sadly, once you complete the main story (a long affair in itself), the game ends, and all of the side-quests that you said you'd do after you'd finished the story become impossible to complete because the only way to play again is by starting over again, which is something even the most dedicated fan would be hard-pressed to do. This is especially annoying because it's something that was entirely unnecessary, every other RPG allows you to keep playing once you've completed the main quest, why couldn't Mass Effect? I enjoyed this game and its main story much more than Oblivion (Elder Scrolls), but a flaw this huge is unacceptable Expand
  95. Jan 17, 2012
    Relatively short, but fun RPG. I finished this, but I could not finish Mass effect 2.. I loved the shooting mechanics and the crosshair in this game as opposed to mass effect 2's crosshair.
  96. Jan 16, 2012
    It is hard to put into words how good this game is. The total immersion i felt with it was immense. It pulled me into the world, made me feel what my character felt, the choices and twists and turns of the story are unlike any game out there and nothing has really got to me like this game did. Mass Effect is so well balanced, great story, alongside great gameplay and action. Cannot wait to get my hands on ME2 and the upcoming ME3. Expand
  97. Jan 6, 2012
    This is one of the most immersive games you will ever play. The way you are able to interact with other characters and customize the story and experience are delightful. The combat was a little flawed but this was fixed in the sequel. Great game.
  98. Dec 21, 2011
    Personally, I love Bioware just like I loved KOTOR, I really wasn't expecting much when I bought this game but something new has come in the RPG genre. The 3rd person real-time combat is just great and exploring the world is also awesome, unfortunately, this side quests are really boring such some of the vehicle missions, that didn't drive me into the experience any more. The story is also absolutely wonderful and the characters are strong (at least most of them). Overall this game is amazing and it will really satisfy RPG and 3rd-Person-Shooter fans, this is totally worth your money. Expand
  99. Dec 20, 2011
    The worst points of this game are only some planets feel a little barren and the game begs for a melee button. This game is a excellent 3rd person shooter/ action rpg. It's dirt cheap to pick up now too.
  100. Dec 10, 2011
    Since I pretty much have one more game to play this year (Skyrim) and next year, my most anticipated game will come out and the only game I am waiting for that year and that's Mass Effect 3 so I'm going to look back at the first Xbox 360 game I ever had. Mass Effect is a story telling masterpiece. I have never been so involved and emotionally attached to a game with a story this amazing and epic. Looking back at it now, I would've given it a 10 when I first completed it but its been 4 years and I have to admit it hasn't age that well by game play standards. When playing it now, my big complains are its overly padded RPG elements, slow graphics and lagged out combat which thankfully have been improved in Mass Effect 2, which is one of my all time favourite games of the modern era. Those aside, it is still a good game and that's thanks to its amazing and varied story telling, interesting characters, tons of variety and a huge galaxy to explore. When I first completed the game, it became my personal gaming experiment and see what kind of things would I find differently if I play it differently entirely. Because of its immense replay value, I have lost count of how many times I replayed the story over and over again. Mass Effect holds a special place in my heart because it was the beginning of one of my favourite gaming franchises ever and I hope that Mass Effect 3 will be another 'greatest' in my list. Expand
  101. Mar 22, 2011
    bioware pretty much nailed this one for the most part. being able to travel in space to different planets uncovering a great mystery backed up with a great story and solid voice acting makes this a solid RPG . the combat system is pretty good kinda gears of war style . alot of places to explore and some great diolouge choices you can make . going good or evil was done very well . the game is about 18-25 hours to beat so its alittle on the short side for a RPG but not short enough to where it bugs me but close . i wish they added space combat in your ship would have been great . also the planets are all pretty empty i wish they made exploration of the planets much more intresting . that aside its still a very solid RPG . Collapse

1. It's an adventure that is so captivating that you'll be counting the days for the sequel. It takes interactive storytelling to new heights, and brings the player closer to content than ever before. It's easily one of the year's best titles and one of the most impressive games to date. [Nov 2007, p.151]
  2. Far from being a ponderous sci-fi exposition, Mass Effect boasts a dynamic, well-constructed story with a broad emotional range. [Holiday 2007, p.82]
  3. As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels, and is more or less a must-play for RPG fans. It will drive shooter fans completely up the wall, though. [Dec 2007, p.56]