7.7

1. Jan 22, 2013
    "Max Payne 3" is the third outing by Rockstar Games of the incredibly depressing, wise-cracking NY cop turned body guard. Being a huge fan of Rockstar Games ever since I played "GTA III", I never got around to the "Max Payne" games. Especially since graphics have improved tremendously since the PS2 era (and it shows here with an excellent attention to detail and a masterfully recreated"Max Payne 3" is the third outing by Rockstar Games of the incredibly depressing, wise-cracking NY cop turned body guard. Being a huge fan of Rockstar Games ever since I played "GTA III", I never got around to the "Max Payne" games. Especially since graphics have improved tremendously since the PS2 era (and it shows here with an excellent attention to detail and a masterfully recreated Brazil). Either way, It's fairly safe to jump into the third game without playing the first two. I think it serves the story even better that way as well. It gives Max a dark and mysterious past for me to discover and learn about. He's not the only complicated character either. Passos is your partner who helps you in Brazil. I thought the chemistry between him and Max were comically priceless. You need to know, though, that this is a straight-up,Die Hard, action game. The cutscenes are straight out of a Blockbuster action movie and the shootouts are, strangely enough, beautiful. Max even resembles the likes of a present-day Bruce Willis. I loved that he was a middle-aged man far past his prime. The folks at Rockstar are the best writers out there in the game industry and they write this morally-flawed hero to near perfection. His corny one-liners and monologues contrast perfectly to the realistically brutal world of Brazil. This game is very bloody and, if you're like me and love gleeful, Tarantino-esque violence, it will give you many "Hell yeah!" and "Holy **** moments. Also, the way you perform these shootouts is very fluid and as realistic as over-the-top action can be. This is Rockstar's rebuttal to the "Uncharted" series by Naughty Dog. Max Payne has this cinematic feel to it and I can easily say it's the best action movie I've ever played. My only issue with it was that some of Max's lines surpassed the cheese level I signed up for but they're mostly charming and clever throughout. Gameplay is very solid, story is chalk-full of good-old action and dialogue, and multiplayer is crazy fun. Trust me, this game kick-ass and allows you to deliver your enemies, dare I say it, maximum pain. Expand
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    [8.0] It definitely isn't Rockstar's best, but Max Payne 3 is impressive in many ways. It exceeds in both action and graphics, which makes up for the linear gameplay. Although it isn't quite as engaging as Grand Theft Auto, or Red Dead, Max Payne 3 is a great title for people who are waiting for GTA V.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game so much the gunplay is so much fun and the story is one of mt favorite ever i love max and passos and the graphics are good to the gameplay is so much fun even if it gets almost to hard at the end but this game is so good
  4. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Surprisingly the first Max Payne game I've ver played, and I really really liked it. My only real gripe is the cutscenes were a little too long at times. But as a whole Max Payne 3 is gritty, immersive fun with great voice acting, a movie-like story and insanely fun multiplayer.
  5. Aug 4, 2013
    Unlike the first Max Payne (the only one I played) I found myself not having the slightest amount of empathy for this guy this time around. A self-analyzing, angst ridden, drug addicted alcoholic is boring and tedious in real life. Who thought that would be a good idea for gaming protagonist? Hmm? NO. There was no real motivation to drive Max forward. He should have gone home after theUnlike the first Max Payne (the only one I played) I found myself not having the slightest amount of empathy for this guy this time around. A self-analyzing, angst ridden, drug addicted alcoholic is boring and tedious in real life. Who thought that would be a good idea for gaming protagonist? Hmm? NO. There was no real motivation to drive Max forward. He should have gone home after the Panama debacle if he had a brain left in his alcohol soaked brain. The combat controls were at times unresponsive. He might get glued to cover, and not respond quickly enough to the (inconsistently) overpowered approaching enemies. All of it was clunky in general. The cut scenes ruined it for me. What is it with the direction of developers lately? Look at Tomb Raider and Resident Evil Six. Apparently THEY want to play the game FOR us. They have gotten so egocentric recently. I esp. can't stand a forced walk. Every door in the first third of the game is a freaking cut scene. Every cut scene starts you back with a handgun. Some reloads after death put you right out with no cover and again, holding a hand gun instead of that grenade launcher you had 5 secs ago. Occasionally after a big battle, it goes straight to cut scene. Need ammo? Want to grab an assault rifle, tough s***, WE want to show you what great movie makers we are! Aren't you impressed? NO. I am not. Expand
  6. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is one of the hallmarks of this game. As Rockstar just opened Max Payne's life and filled it with despair, death, and pain as his journey through Brazil, New York, and Panama just got even worse by the second. After having his wife and child taken from him, his life fell apart and he was reduced to painkillers and alcohol. Then after getting the mod to hunt him down it was time he left Hoboken with his new friend and partner, Passos. Getting into private security for a rich wealthy family he thought he could escape and live without a crosshair on his back till extremist and gangs started hunting them down. But soon after people of the family get kidnapped and held hostage, Max finds himself in the binds of a moral choice to save them. This game is a rollercoaster of action and characters. As it takes you from the high society of wealth down to the lowest vermin infested favelas where action seems to drive you through this game.

7. Mar 11, 2013
    When I started this game I just loved the bullet time mode. It was so cool to see the bullet's in slow motion as they pierce your enemies. Seeing the bullet from it's point of view when shooting the last enemy in the area was also very satisfying. However that's the only entertainment available. It didn't take long for bullet time to become a necessity rather than a cool addition. InWhen I started this game I just loved the bullet time mode. It was so cool to see the bullet's in slow motion as they pierce your enemies. Seeing the bullet from it's point of view when shooting the last enemy in the area was also very satisfying. However that's the only entertainment available. It didn't take long for bullet time to become a necessity rather than a cool addition. In just about every fight it is needed to survive as you will die in a few shots. Not only that but healing items are hidden throughout the game, you have to search for them as if they are skulls in Halo. The bosses are very plain and boring. Not going to say what they are but they are all basically the same thing. At the end of cutscenes you are forced into the open, regardless if you are behind cover or not. Just about everytime this happens, baddies are already shooting at you, causing you to lose unnecessary health. The music, oh gosh the music...this is the only game to give me a headache because of the music. My head was pounding so much that I had to shut off the music completely. It's not music, it's just noise. All I heard for the music was the same sound over and over again and some person singing. Ugh, this game is just terrible in my opinion. Beat it and never played it again. Expand
  8. Mar 14, 2013
    So Max is back to deal out more death and violence while pumping painkillers and booze. But is it any good? Well, yes! As a matter of fact it's rather excellent and a very satisfying 3rd person shooter, which does justice to the Max Payne franchise. But that being said, I did have a few problems with it. First of all there's the constantly shaking camera and the lens flare, which sometimesSo Max is back to deal out more death and violence while pumping painkillers and booze. But is it any good? Well, yes! As a matter of fact it's rather excellent and a very satisfying 3rd person shooter, which does justice to the Max Payne franchise. But that being said, I did have a few problems with it. First of all there's the constantly shaking camera and the lens flare, which sometimes made me feel like Michael Bay and J. J. Abrams had decided to make a game together. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. When used to this extent it looses it's dramatic effect and feels more like a 4-year old jumping up and down flailing his arms while screaming, "Look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me!" It got so bad I actually had to stop playing at times, fearing a seizure.
    The second thing is the huge amount of cut scenes. Though they are very well made and does a good job of telling the story, they simply interrupt the action way too often. Just as a good firefight is going on and I was all psyched up BANG! another 3-5 minutes cut scene ripped me out of the game. It got to a stage where I literally shouted, "NO!" when it happened because it became detrimental to the gaming experience.
    But all said and done, Max Payne 3 is an excellent 3rd person shooter which is definitely worth a look, but be prepared for some really annoying interruptions.
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but Max Payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayer being a riot. The game is great fun and the multiplayer is very unique to any other third person shooters.
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    What a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in aWhat a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in a while....he is talkish!! Anyway, I still love this game! Expand
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    Rock star always the same with different titles ''max payne'',''red dead'',''GTA''.People told me that rock star is awesome and blablabla but when i asked about CAPCOM they said :''NO''.After years of playing i can Say: to Rock star and all respect to CAPCOM
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    A decent game, action-wise, however, I never cared for any of the plot lines of any of the Max Payne games and this game is no exception. But I didn't play this for the story line, rather for the action, which is good but is extremely repetitive. By the end of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Multiplayer was mediocre but not bad. A solid buy at it's current price point ofA decent game, action-wise, however, I never cared for any of the plot lines of any of the Max Payne games and this game is no exception. But I didn't play this for the story line, rather for the action, which is good but is extremely repetitive. By the end of the game, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Multiplayer was mediocre but not bad. A solid buy at it's current price point of under $20 but I feel bad for people who bought this new for $60. Expand
  13. Apr 12, 2013
    A really good game. The gameplay is top notch, the story is good and the multiplayer is in my opinion just beautiful. I bought the rockstar pass for the multiplayer and I don't regret it at all. Graphix are great and well detailed. One of the best shooters I've ever played. If you haven't played it yet, the go get it now.
  14. Sep 22, 2013
    I believe this is one of the worst games rockstar has developed... Here are the reasons..

1)Extremely linear No choice.. no freedom.. You are directed exactly as the game wants it.. 2) The bullet time mechanic is cool, but after the first 1000 kills it gets boring and repetitive.. 3) The game repeats its self a lot!! Go into a room kill 100 enemies, go to the next room kill another

3) The game repeats its self a lot!! Go into a room kill 100 enemies, go to the next room kill another 100 it goes on for 10-12 hours..
    4)You can not skip cut scenes!! Which during your second playthough is an issue!
    5) way too much talking by max payne... almost non-stop!

15. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is amazing!The story is great,the combat is so much fun and the multiplayer is pretty good.Even thought the game is really cheap in stores.It's totally worth the money.
  16. Apr 30, 2013
    I loved it and so far i have sunk about 50 hours into both my 360 and PC copies of the game.
    The game-play is allot better then most third person shooters and the psychs are so much better then any other 3rd person shooter the way your enemy body falls to the ground is just brutal and the fact Max will not shoot unless his body is facing the recticle on the screen so you cant just shoot at something be cause your aiming at it you have to position Max with his arms out to hit that target first or else you will miss.

The story is so intense and fully carries on from previous games and the fact that Max looks even more like a broken man then ever is saying something. its just so dark and brooding that it pulls you in and really displays the difference between the haves and the have nots.

I loved the music the game-play the story and the multiplayer was a blast as well too bad that the community is fairly small but that's pretty normal for any game that isn't cod or battlefield nowadays.
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    So, this game was pretty damn different from the originals. In terms of effects and design the game is miles away from the comic book style of the first game. But I don't mind that. I'm glad they took a new direction with this. The visual effects are over used, but nice non-the-less.

The story is engaging and enjoyable. Combat is pretty decent and the guns are fun to use. Side quests like collecting golden parts are fun and do add to the game. I enjoyed the flashbacks and throwbacks to the originals but enjoyed the new stuff coming to the table.

Overall, Max Payne 3 is an enjoyable shooter. The single player is worth checking out, the multiplayer is fun if you enjoy third person shooting in an online environment, but offers no new experiences.
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    This is good and excellent game it gets half of the things right for a good game but accept it has one flaw that holds it back one those very annoying visual effects uhh every second it felt like I was in Kane and Lynch uhh I hate those things but you must by this title because it introduces you. You have a very good battles but this a game you must buy not let it slip off your hands.
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is actually a good game. Gameplay is fantastic, unique and addictive. The story can make you see the pain of Max, for sure, but I didn't like it a lot, cause it's a simple story, that you will forget in about two days. I played the game too long and beat it three times (10 hours playthrough). Now, I'm going for hardcore mode, because gameplay is beautiful. Actually the gameplayMax Payne 3 is actually a good game. Gameplay is fantastic, unique and addictive. The story can make you see the pain of Max, for sure, but I didn't like it a lot, cause it's a simple story, that you will forget in about two days. I played the game too long and beat it three times (10 hours playthrough). Now, I'm going for hardcore mode, because gameplay is beautiful. Actually the gameplay saves this game and make it worth-buying, but story is frustrating for me, because it presents the legendary Max being a boozing bodyguard and involved in things, that don't concern a legend like him. After all, if you're a fan and liked the past two games, get thin one, cause you owe it to yourself. Otherwise, play the past two games and see after that if you want this one. Expand
  20. Jul 4, 2013
    The gameplay itself is very modernised and authentic. The realism of gameplay itself is very good and eye-catching. The plot as well is a very dark and gritty storyline for the protagonist who had lost his wife and baby child in the first previous game. A smashing masterpiece of a game.
  21. Jul 12, 2013
    "The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had happened up to this point..."
    Max Payne returns for his third game to conclude his dark trilogy. Max Payne 3 shows a much darker Max and for those of us who have guided him through the series, it is depressing. Max has let himself go and it will take his world falling apart to bring him back up. In classic Max Payne style, we see the end and then return to the beginning as Max is working in South America as a body guard. This game does tell a lot of its tale in the form of flashbacks, but this only improves the main storyline.

Graphics: Beautiful. Words escape me how gorgeous this game is. The world is full of life whether that be trucks and cars driving on the road or civilians scattering from a firefight. The game just looks fantasticly gritty and full of colors that make Max's story just that more realistic.

Gameplay: It's your typical Max Payne game. Run around and shoot ever poor soul in sight while popping pain killers. There are quite a few vehicle levels to mix things up and there is even a cover system added in which I found to be more than useful when you can't pop into bullet time.

Story: Gripping. Dark. Phenomenal. Max has really lost it in the game and the player feels for him. I know I did and probably more so than I have for almost any other video game character. The story is a bit lengthy, but the length is more than acceptable and it doesn't lose you for a second. They did, however trade in the typical graphic novel style of cutscenes for a more traditional cutscene blended in with a few elements from the graphic novel styling that we have come to love.

If you aren't familiar with the series, I recommend playing the first two before diving into this incredible story, but if you have not tried this game: Do it. Now.
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    A well made shooter with an interesting story and characters.It might seem unfair at times(talking about the shooting).but its fun and it has good difficulty. I love the fact that you actually need to use cover and think about ammo it makes it really fun and engaging. It is not perfect but it is a really good game.
  23. Aug 6, 2013
    definitely a must buy. this game ties together fun game play elements as well as a compelling story easily worth $60 even today. great multi-player with mechanics not seen in others.
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    Maxe Payne 3 killed every good aspect that it's predecessors had.

The story is an absolute disgrace, it's as if you're playing a 3rd person shooter that's based on a very bad Chuck Norris B-movie. What's left of the character Max Payne is an alcoholic mess who just can't shut up for less then 5 minutes. The ongoing self pityness of Max Payne made me sick and irritated. The amount
    Maxe Payne 3 killed every good aspect that it's predecessors had.

The ongoing self pityness of Max Payne made me sick and irritated.

The amount of cut-scenes is absolutely frustrating, there's not even 3 minutes of gameplay without a cut-scene.

The graphics are a huge disappointment and the fact that it's running at 30fps makes it even more regrettable.
    The controls are stiff and the bullet time makes no sense anymore.

Don't buy this game it's a waste of money, time and a good mood.
  25. Mar 27, 2014
    Max payne 3 is another great rockstar game, i love this game, is absolutely fantastic it actions scene, its really outstanding it violence, great game that must be played.
  26. Oct 18, 2013
    its a incredible game
    one the best third person shooter than i have played
    max payne 3 its so unforgable
    it has a lot of good things.
    bullet time is awesome and the graphics are amazing
  27. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Realistic graphics, sometimes the shadows make it look ugly, but the character models look great too. 9.5.
    Sound: Decent soundtrack (I wasn’t into the music near the end, didn’t feel that was the right band like Rockstar claimed back on GTTV). The themes were excellent, the voice acting was great. 9.
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but I did still get the feeling that it was a Max Payne game. Bullet time is great, all the guns are fine, the aiming is challenging but in a good way. The only complaint is the constant switching of shoulders, but I think there’s an option to turn that off. Challenging game good, gametrailers-reviewers noobs. Euphoria engine looks at its best. The multiplayer I found unbalance, unrealistic, and just not my type of shooter. 9.
    Story: The story plays out at a slow pace, it keeps you interested for a while, but near the end it’s not as interesting. I enjoyed playing the past sequences more than the present day because I felt the present day ones were going nowhere in terms of Max’s story. Max is in a field where he doesn’t belong, and even though it is hinted, this didn’t make it any more interesting. The switch from comic scenes to in game cut scene was fine, I enjoyed it. The inner thoughts of Max Payne are brilliant, who doesn’t have their brain always talking to them? 8.5.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is a must play at least once, there are achievements and a multiplayer for those interested. Personally, I would recommend this game a rent for those wanting a single player only experience. The game took about 8-10 hours on hard for me to complete. 8.
    Overall Score: 8.8 out of 10.
  28. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is ABYSMAL! It's so bad with is cut scenes every 2 flipping seconds. IGN gave this game something like a 7 or 8. But I suppose IGN give out 8,9 and 10 like motherf**kers. Sorry for the language. Needed to get that out. But MAX PAYNE 3 is not. I REAPAT not a good game. Reason... There cutscenes. To many. It's graphics are not anything special. It's meant to be sad. I just laughedThis game is ABYSMAL! It's so bad with is cut scenes every 2 flipping seconds. IGN gave this game something like a 7 or 8. But I suppose IGN give out 8,9 and 10 like motherf**kers. Sorry for the language. Needed to get that out. But MAX PAYNE 3 is not. I REAPAT not a good game. Reason... There cutscenes. To many. It's graphics are not anything special. It's meant to be sad. I just laughed at the sad parts. Reason... It is such a bad story it made me laugh. The gameplay (when there is some) is rubbish and so is the guns. They feel terrible. Not a good job Rockstar.

Overall
    -Bad Story
    -Bad campaign
    -Not Much GamePlay Just Cut Scenes
    Score 18/100
  29. Jan 27, 2014
    The story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'mThe story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'm all about multiplayer mode and this game didn't disappoint. Flat 8. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2014
    You'er Max Payne, an ex-cop hired to be bodyguard to a rich family in Brazil. It's supposed to be a vacation for you, but it turns out to be everything but. Shoot your way through carnage and mayhem, trying to solve a puzzle you never suspected. Kill hundreds of bad guys in slow motion, and with an assortment of weapons.

Lots of fun, however, can be frustrating at times. Sometimes the

Lots of fun, however, can be frustrating at times. Sometimes the game gets repetitive, and then there are flaws in the combat system, and other errors that stop you from having a good, gun blasting time. All in all though still a good game. At least worth a rent. The story is very well done.

You get two discs of Max Payne 3.
  31. Mar 17, 2014
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class. Great protagonist. Presentation with cutscenes and how there aren't any loading screens are really well done. Intense shoot outs. Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours. Difficulty settings are really well done. Bullet time, and shoot dodge are
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class.
    Great protagonist.
    Intense shoot outs.
    Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours.
    Difficulty settings are really well done.
    Bullet time, and shoot dodge are just plain cool.
    Graphics are fantastic and really detailed environments.

Cons:
    Last mission could of been better. Threw way too much enemies at you, made it a bit unrealistic
  32. May 22, 2014
    Now Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to threeNow Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to three weapons simultaneously, two one handed e.g. pistols, and one, two-handed weapon, such as a shotgun. even then, if you decide to star dual wielding like some Neo wannabe, you'll have to drop your two-handed weapon on the spot. Now alot of people will say this is a stupid idea to put into a game, especially a Max Payne game, but it does make the game more challenging when you don't have every gun under the sun in your back pocket. Now bullet time, Pain-killers and shoot-dodging returns, and they pretty much work the same as in the last games. You'll be relying on them alot later on in the game as the difficulty becomes quite high even when playing on the normal difficulty setting, as you'll be faced with 20+ enemies at once, which is a lot to deal with. A new addition to the franchise is the fact you can now lay on the ground a spin the full 360 degrees to take some goons while lying down, after you've performed a shoot-dodge. You will also not immediately die if you happen to be carrying some painkillers when you run out of health. Instead you'll go straight into a slo- mo, bullet-time last stand type of deal, in which you have a couple of seconds to take out the guy that took you down. Doing so will save you, and you'll be able to get back up and carry on the fight.

Now the game looks pretty damn good aswell, the graphics are really high quality, not crysis super computer quality, but it's a very good looking game, especially on console. there are some things that your eyes wont agree with though. What I'm mainly talking about is the overused, in-your-face filters that try to make the game look like an old VHS tape. they do get on your nerves a little bit, as they only really kick-in every now and again. Now what will annoy most people is the over-abundance of cut-scenes that appear every time you finish off a gunfight. Some of them are also long-ass MGS worthy ones that you cant skip until the game has loaded, as the cut-scenes act as loading screens when playing the story. Also, when taking out the last enemy in a gunfight, you'll be treated to a slo-mo death cam of said goon, where you can keep pumping bullets into him, until he's turned into human swiss cheese, these are pretty brutal, and a greatly improved by the Euphoria physics engine that Rockstar used which creates a different reaction every time.

The story mode is the heart of the game, with the story being quite a good one. It's well written, and has a few twists and turns, although it's maybe not as good as Red Dead Redemptions story (Great game by the way, go play it!) I thought it was great. There are also a couple of other modes to the game, such as the arcade mode and New York Minute, time trial mode, and for the first time multi-player is included. The first two modes I mentioned are basically there to test your skill and reflexes, and also give you the chance to unlock multi-player characters and cheats for single-player.

Now Multiplayer in Max Payne 3 is a mixed bag. sometimes it can be really enjoyable, sometimes it can be really infuriating. Now you might think the infuriating games are just that your not playing very well, but in my opinion the game is un-balanced. When the game first came out, it was pretty balanced, there was nothing outstandingly overpowered, but due to DLC being released the game has changed dramatically, usually you see everyone running around in the very protective bomb suits, dual-wielding pistols. You'll soon find out this is probably the best combination in the game to go with, and it makes nearly every other weapon a waste of time. Now there are only a couple of modes that come with the game, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and gang wars. Gang wars is the stand out mode, where each match consists of five rounds that follow a storyline. You could be planting or defusing bombs one round, and then trying to assassinate of defend a VIP the next. It helps keep the gameplay varied. They have added a few other modes through DLC, including a co-op, horde mode style game, and another where your chased down by a goblin with a wooden leg and a taser (seriously, I'm not joking). There Is the, now-standard mult-player games weapon load-out and customisation menu, that you see in nearly every game now-a-days, but There's a weight system to keep it a bit fresh, and make you think about what you take into battle. The heavier you are, the slower your stamina and health regenerate. There's also Bursts, that act the same as kill streak rewards and character customisation aswell.

Overall it's a good game, but It's not everyone's cup of tea.
  33. Jun 17, 2014
    Entertaining story about a great, non-gregarious, **** brooding, pill-popping, functioning alcoholic, quasi-man's man dude killing people (morally). You don't have to spend hours learning how the play, you can just step right into the action and enjoy the thrill.
  34. Nov 30, 2014
    The best feature about this game is bullet time, it's so awesome! This is a really good 3rd person shooter. It has a good story line and awesome slow-mo shooting scenes. The only bad thing about it are the cutscenes, some are unskippable and repetitive. But the game is really good and really addictive.
  35. Mar 22, 2015
    Easily one of the best Third-Person Shooters of X360/PS3 generation. Damn, I even enjoyed it more than the original game!

P.S. The Soundtrack is truly amazing!
  36. Feb 19, 2015
    Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode,Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode, the longer than usual load times and the over the top difficulty at time. This is easily a game that I keep coming back to after many years. Expand

1. Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]